Genomes and Genes
Summary: An effect usually, but not necessarily, beneficial that is attributable to an expectation that the regimen will have an effect, i.e., the effect is due to the power of suggestion.
Publications286 found, 100 shown here
- Neurobiological mechanisms of the placebo effectFabrizio Benedetti
Department of Neuroscience, University of Turin Medical School, 10125 Turin, Italy
J Neurosci 25:10390-402. 2005
- Placebo response in the prophylaxis of migraine: a meta-analysisAna Macedo
Department of Pharmacology, Therapeutics and Toxicology, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Bellaterra Cerdanyola del Valles, Spain
Eur J Pain 12:68-75. 2008..Migraine constitutes a good model for the study of placebo response. It is a well-defined disease, affects a large population and a great number of clinical trials have been performed, which have given homogeneous outcomes...
- Placebo: new insights into an old enigmaEdzard Ernst
Complementary Medicine, Peninsula Medical School, Universities of Exeter and Plymouth, 25 Victoria Park Road, Exeter, EX2 4NT, UK
Drug Discov Today 12:413-8. 2007Our understanding of the placebo effect has deepened through intensive research activity during recent years...
- Placebo response in studies of major depression: variable, substantial, and growingB Timothy Walsh
Department of Psychiatry, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, 1051 Riverside Dr, Unit 98, New York, NY 10032, USA
JAMA 287:1840-7. 2002..There is continuing interest in the development of new medications, but because effective antidepressants are already available, ethical concerns have been raised about the need for placebo groups in new trials...
- Components of placebo effect: randomised controlled trial in patients with irritable bowel syndromeTed J Kaptchuk
Osher Research Center, Harvard Medical School, 401 Park Drive, Boston, MA 02215, USA
BMJ 336:999-1003. 2008..To assess the relative magnitude of these components...
- A comprehensive review of the placebo effect: recent advances and current thoughtDonald D Price
Division of Neuroscience, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32610 0416, USA
Annu Rev Psychol 59:565-90. 2008Our understanding and conceptualization of the placebo effect has shifted in emphasis from a focus on the inert content of a physical placebo agent to the overall simulation of a therapeutic intervention...
- Biological, clinical, and ethical advances of placebo effectsDamien G Finniss
University of Sydney Pain Management and Research Institute, Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, NSW, Australia
Lancet 375:686-95. 2010....
- How placebos change the patient's brainFabrizio Benedetti
Department of Neuroscience, University of Turin Medical School, Turin, Italy
Neuropsychopharmacology 36:339-54. 2011..active and productive field of research and, because of the involvement of many mechanisms, the study of the placebo effect can actually be viewed as a melting pot of concepts and ideas for neuroscience...
- Neurobiological mechanisms of placebo responsesJon Kar Zubieta
Department of Psychiatry and Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience Institute, University of Maryland, Baltimore, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1156:198-210. 2009..These data confirm that specific neural circuits and neurotransmitter systems respond to the expectation of benefit during placebo administration, inducing measurable physiological changes...
- Active albuterol or placebo, sham acupuncture, or no intervention in asthmaMichael E Wechsler
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
N Engl J Med 365:119-26. 2011..We compared the effects of a bronchodilator, two placebo interventions, and no intervention on outcomes in patients with asthma...
- Reconsidering the role of personality in placebo effects: dispositional optimism, situational expectations, and the placebo responseAndrew L Geers
Department of Psychology, University of Toledo, 2801 West Bancroft Street, Toledo, OH 43606 3390, USA
J Psychosom Res 58:121-7. 2005..Prior investigations have failed to find reliable personality differences in placebo responding. The present study tests the hypothesis that personality and situational variables interact to determine placebo responding...
- Catechol-O-methyltransferase val158met polymorphism predicts placebo effect in irritable bowel syndromeKathryn T Hall
Division of General Medicine and Primary Care, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e48135. 2012..COMT), an important enzyme in dopamine catabolism plays a key role in processes associated with the placebo effect such as reward, pain, memory and learning...
- The placebo effect in alternative medicine: can the performance of a healing ritual have clinical significance?Ted J Kaptchuk
Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Ann Intern Med 136:817-25. 2002In alternative medicine, the main question regarding placebo has been whether a given therapy has more than a placebo effect. Just as mainstream medicine ignores the clinical significance of its own placebo effect, the placebo effect of ..
- Conscious expectation and unconscious conditioning in analgesic, motor, and hormonal placebo/nocebo responsesFabrizio Benedetti
Department of Neuroscience, University of Turin Medical School, Turin, Italy 10125
J Neurosci 23:4315-23. 2003....
- Activation of the opioidergic descending pain control system underlies placebo analgesiaFalk Eippert
Department of Systems Neuroscience, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Neuron 63:533-43. 2009..These findings show that opioidergic signaling in pain-modulating areas and the projections to downstream effectors of the descending pain control system are crucially important for placebo analgesia...
- Individual differences in reward responding explain placebo-induced expectations and effectsDavid J Scott
Department of Psychiatry and Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience Institute, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0720, USA
Neuron 55:325-36. 2007..during placebo administration and related to its anticipated effects, perception-anticipation mismatches, and placebo effect development...
- How prior experience shapes placebo analgesiaLuana Colloca
Department of Neuroscience, Clinical and Applied Physiology Program, University of Turin Medical School, Turin, Italy
Pain 124:126-33. 2006..These results emphasize that the placebo effect is a learning phenomenon in which many factors come into play, and may explain the large variability of the ..
- A functional magnetic resonance imaging study on the neural mechanisms of hyperalgesic nocebo effectJian Kong
Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Massachusetts General Hospital, Massachusetts Institute of Technology Harvard Medical School Athinoula A Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
J Neurosci 28:13354-62. 2008..In conclusion, we found evidence that nocebo hyperalgesia may be predominantly produced through an affective-cognitive pain pathway (medial pain system), and the left hippocampus may play an important role in this process...
- Nonspecific medication side effects and the nocebo phenomenonArthur J Barsky
Department of Psychiatry, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 75 Francis St, Boston, MA 02115, USA
JAMA 287:622-7. 2002....
- An attempt to quantify the placebo effect from a three-week simulated altitude training camp in elite race walkersPhilo U Saunders
Department of Physiology, Australian Institute of Sport, Belconnen, ACT, Australia
Int J Sports Physiol Perform 5:521-34. 2010To quantify physiological and performance effects of hypoxic exposure, a training camp, the placebo effect, and a combination of these factors.
- Effects of perceived treatment on quality of life and medical outcomes in a double-blind placebo surgery trialCynthia McRae
College of Education, University of Denver, Denver, CO 80208, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 61:412-20. 2004..This portion of the study investigated the quality of life (QOL) of participants during the 1 year of double-blind follow-up...
- Automaticity in clinical psychologyI Kirsch
Department of Psychology, University of Connecticut, Storrs 06269 1020, USA
Am Psychol 54:504-15. 1999..Following this review, the authors summarize some of the ways in which knowledge of response expectancy effects and other automatic processes that influence experience and behavior can enhance clinical practice...
- Predicting individual differences in placebo analgesia: contributions of brain activity during anticipation and pain experienceTor D Wager
Department of Psychology, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado 80309, USA
J Neurosci 31:439-52. 2011..This approach provides a framework that will allow prediction accuracy to increase as new studies provide more precise information for future predictive models...
- Monoamine oxidase a and catechol-o-methyltransferase functional polymorphisms and the placebo response in major depressive disorderAndrew F Leuchter
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, 760 Westwood Plaza, Rm 37 452, Los Angeles, CA 90024 1759, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 29:372-7. 2009..These findings support the hypothesis that genetic polymorphisms modulating monoaminergic tone are related to degree of placebo responsiveness in major depressive disorder...
- Reproducibility of placebo analgesia: Effect of dispositional optimismDebbie L Morton
Human Pain Research Group, University of Manchester Rheumatic Diseases Centre, Salford Royal Hospital, Salford, Manchester M6 8HD, UK
Pain 146:194-8. 2009..We suggest that repeated placebo responders are high in dispositional optimism and having a placebo response in the first session causes a drop in state anxiety at the beginning of the repeat session...
- Placebos that harm: sham surgery controls in clinical trialsAlex John London
Department of Philosophy and Centre for the Advancement of Applied Ethics, Carnegie Mellon University, 135 Bakes Hall, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Stat Methods Med Res 11:413-27. 2002..As a result, our arguments are centrally relevant to the emerging drive to subject therapies with a surgical component to the same rigorous standards of evaluation as those governing the approval of new pharmaceuticals...
- A controlled trial of arthroscopic surgery for osteoarthritis of the kneeJ Bruce Moseley
Houston Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
N Engl J Med 347:81-8. 2002..We conducted a randomized, placebo-controlled trial to evaluate the efficacy of arthroscopy for osteoarthritis of the knee...
- Gender differences in placebo analgesia: event-related potentials and emotional modulationPer M Aslaksen
Department of Psychology, University of Tromsø, 9037 Tromsø, Norway
Psychosom Med 73:193-9. 2011..Several experimental and clinical studies have shown that males report lower pain compared with females. There are, however, few reports of gender differences in placebo analgesia...
- The placebo effect: illness and interpersonal healingFranklin G Miller
Department of Bioethics, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1156, USA
Perspect Biol Med 52:518-39. 2009The placebo effect has been a source of fascination, irritation, and confusion within biomedicine over the past 60 years...
- The placebo effect and its determinants in osteoarthritis: meta-analysis of randomised controlled trialsW Zhang
Academic Rheumatology, University of Nottingham, Clinical Sciences Building, City Hospital, Nottingham NG5 1PB, UK
Ann Rheum Dis 67:1716-23. 2008To examine the placebo effect and its potential determinants in the treatment of osteoarthritis (OA) via a systematic literature search of Medline, EMBASE, Scientific Citation Index, Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health ..
- Recombinant human erythropoietin in the treatment of acute ischemic strokeHannelore Ehrenreich
Division of Clinical Neuroscience, Max Planck Institute of Experimental Medicine, Gottingen, Germany
Stroke 40:e647-56. 2009..Accordingly, the double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized German Multicenter EPO Stroke Trial (Phase II/III; ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00604630) was designed to evaluate efficacy and safety of EPO in stroke...
- Expectation and dopamine release: mechanism of the placebo effect in Parkinson's diseaseR de la Fuente-Fernandez
Neurodegenerative Disorders Centre, TRIUMF, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 2B5
Science 293:1164-6. 2001..Little is known, however, about the mechanism underlying the placebo effect. Using the ability of endogenous dopamine to compete for [11C]raclopride binding as measured by positron ..
- Placebo response in Parkinson's disease: comparisons among 11 trials covering medical and surgical interventionsChristopher G Goetz
Department of Neurological Sciences, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Mov Disord 23:690-9. 2008..Recognition of factors that impact placebo response rates should be incorporated into individual study designs for PD clinical trials...
- Placebo and nocebo effects are defined by opposite opioid and dopaminergic responsesDavid J Scott
Department of Psychiatry and Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience Institute, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48109 0720, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 65:220-31. 2008..They are also an example of cognitive processes, particularly expectations, capable of influencing physiology...
- An analysis of factors that contribute to the magnitude of placebo analgesia in an experimental paradigmD D Price
Departments of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Neuroscience, University of Florida, P O Box 100416, Gainesville, FL 32610 0416, USA
Pain 83:147-56. 1999..Taken together, these results suggest that magnitudes of placebo effect are dependent on multiple factors, including conditioning, expectancy, and whether analgesia is assessed ..
- Effect of analgesic therapy on clinical outcome measures in a randomized controlled trial using client-owned dogs with hip osteoarthritisSarah Malek
Comparative Orthopaedic Research Laboratory, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI, USA
BMC Vet Res 8:185. 2012..studies of analgesic drug treatment of dogs with naturally occurring OA may be challenging, as a caregiver placebo effect is typically evident...
- Headache: the placebo effects in the control groups in randomized clinical trials; an analysis of systematic reviewsFemke M de Groot
Department of General Practice, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 34:297-305. 2011..The purpose of this study is to describe the effects in the placebo and "no treatment" arms in trials with headache patients...
- A duty to deceive: placebos in clinical practiceBennett Foddy
Center for Human Values, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544, USA
Am J Bioeth 9:4-12. 2009..Patients have reason to prefer that doctors can prescribe placebos in ethically responsible ways. Hence, the AMA has an obligation to endorse and to promote the responsible use of deceptive placebos in clinical practice...
- Early intervention with erythropoietin does not affect the outcome of acute kidney injury (the EARLYARF trial)Zoltan H Endre
Christchurch Kidney Research Group, Department of Medicine, University of Otago, Christchurch, New Zealand
Kidney Int 77:1020-30. 2010..Further, our study showed that a composite of these two biomarkers was insufficient for risk stratification in a patient population with a heterogeneous onset of injury...
- The emerging science of hot flash relief: legitimizing the "obecalp" effectNancy King Reame
Menopause 12:4-7. 2005
- Overt versus covert treatment for pain, anxiety, and Parkinson's diseaseLuana Colloca
University of Turin Medical School, Turin, Italy
Lancet Neurol 3:679-84. 2004..In addition, by use of covert administration, the efficacy of some treatments can be assessed without the use of a placebo and associated ethical issues...
- Placebo studies and ritual theory: a comparative analysis of Navajo, acupuncture and biomedical healingTed J Kaptchuk
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, 330 Brookline Avenue, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 366:1849-58. 2011..Placebo effects are often described as 'non-specific'; the analysis presented here suggests that placebo effects are the 'specific' effects of healing rituals...
- How the doctor's words affect the patient's brainFabrizio Benedetti
University of Turin Medical School
Eval Health Prof 25:369-86. 2002..Because the placebo effect is a context effect, its study has been useful in clarifying this complex issue...
- The use of placebo interventions in medical practice--a national questionnaire survey of Danish cliniciansAsbjørn Hróbjartsson
Nordic Cochrane Centre, University of Copenhagen
Eval Health Prof 26:153-65. 2003..Approximately 30% (28-36) of the clinicians believed in an effect of placebo interventions on objective outcomes, and 46% (42-50) found clinical placebo interventions generally ethically acceptable...
- Caregiver placebo effect for dogs with lameness from osteoarthritisMichael G Conzemius
Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota, Saint Paul, MN 55108, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 241:1314-9. 2012To document the caregiver placebo effect in owners and veterinarians of dogs with lameness from osteoarthritis.
- Direct evidence for spinal cord involvement in placebo analgesiaFalk Eippert
Department of Systems Neuroscience, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Science 326:404. 2009..These results provide direct evidence for spinal inhibition as one mechanism of placebo analgesia and highlight that psychological factors can act on the earliest stages of pain processing in the central nervous system...
- Does inclusion of a placebo arm influence response to active antidepressant treatment in randomized controlled trials? Results from pooled and meta-analysesMark Sinyor
Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Psychiatry 71:270-9. 2010..To determine if the inclusion of a placebo arm and/or the number of active comparators in antidepressant trials influences the response rates of the active medication and/or placebo...
- Family physicians believe the placebo effect is therapeutic but often use real drugs as placebosRachel Kermen
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, USA
Fam Med 42:636-42. 2010..Few national data exist on physicians' use of and beliefs about placebos in routine health care...
- Placebo effect in the acute treatment of migraine: subcutaneous placebos are better than oral placebosA J de Craen
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Neurol 247:183-8. 2000We carried out a meta-analysis of 22 trials to determine the comparative placebo effect of (a) subcutaneous vs. oral and (b) in-hospital vs. at-home administration in the treatment of migraine...
- How the number of learning trials affects placebo and nocebo responsesLuana Colloca
Department of Neuroscience, University of Turin Medical School and National Institute of Neuroscience, Turin, Italy
Pain 151:430-9. 2010..These findings suggest that the strength of learning may be clinically important for producing long-lasting placebo effects...
- Scientific tools, fake treatments, or triggers for psychological healing: how clinical trial participants conceptualise placebosFelicity L Bishop
University of Southampton School of Medicine, Southampton, Hampshire SO16 5ST, United Kingdom
Soc Sci Med 74:767-74. 2012..Future work should improve methods of providing participants with full accurate information about placebos and their effects...
- Plasma noradrenaline and state anxiety levels predict placebo response in learned immunosuppressionK Ober
Institute of Medical Psychology and Behavioral Immunobiology, University Hospital Essen, University of Duisburg Essen, Essen, Germany
Clin Pharmacol Ther 91:220-6. 2012..These data provide first evidence for putative biological and psychological predictors of learned placebo responses...
- Evaluation of the placebo effect and reproducibility of blood pressure measurement in hypertensionR Asmar
L Institut CardioVasculaire, Paris, France
Am J Hypertens 14:546-52. 2001..This placebo effect is currently debated, as it seems to be related to BP measurement methods and as a regression to the mean ..
- Participant expectancies in double-blind randomized placebo-controlled trials: potential limitations to trial validityBen Colagiuri
School of Psychology, University of Sydney, NSW, Australia
Clin Trials 7:246-55. 2010..Despite this, a growing body of research suggests that participant expectancies can influence the outcomes of these trials...
- Placebo effect in the treatment of duodenal ulcerA J de Craen
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Br J Clin Pharmacol 48:853-60. 1999..To assess whether frequency of placebo administration is associated with duodenal ulcer healing...
- The impact of psychological factors on placebo responses in a randomized controlled trial comparing sham device to dummy pillSuzanne M Bertisch
Division for Research and Education in Complementary and Integrative Medical Therapies, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
J Eval Clin Pract 15:14-9. 2009..To explore to what extent psychological factors such as expectation, depression, anxiety and belief in alternative medicine impact placebo response and differential responses to separate placebo interventions...
- Goal activation, expectations, and the placebo effectAndrew L Geers
Department of Psychology, University of Toledo, Toledo, OH 43606 3390, USA
J Pers Soc Psychol 89:143-59. 2005Motivational factors receive little attention in current theories of the placebo effect. Reasons for this position are reviewed, and an argument is made for reconsidering the influence of motivation on the placebo effect...
- Placebo effect studies are susceptible to response bias and to other types of biasesAsbjørn Hróbjartsson
The Nordic Cochrane Centre, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
J Clin Epidemiol 64:1223-9. 2011..The history of placebo shows that assessment of its clinical significance has a real potential to be biased. We analyze and discuss typical types of bias in studies on placebo...
- The placebo response: how words and rituals change the patient's brainFabrizio Benedetti
Department of Neuroscience, University of Turin Medical School, Turin, Italy
Patient Educ Couns 84:413-9. 2011The placebo effect, or response, has evolved from being thought of as a nuisance in clinical and pharmacological research to a biological phenomenon worthy of scientific investigation in its own right...
- Long-term quality of life after ablation of atrial fibrillation the impact of recurrence, symptom relief, and placebo effectAnita Wokhlu
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 55:2308-16. 2010..We sought to determine the relationship between atrial fibrillation (AF) ablation efficacy, quality of life (QoL), and AF-specific symptoms at 2 years...
- What do we really know about the deliberate use of placebos in clinical practice?Pekka Louhiala
Department of Public Health, University of Helsinki, Vuorikatu 17 as 3, Hämeenlinna 13100, Finland
J Med Ethics 38:403-5. 2012The aim of the present study was to explore the use and understanding of the concepts 'placebo' and 'placebo effect' in 12 empirical studies that have addressed the prescription of placebos by doctors in clinical practice...
- Severity of depression and response to antidepressants and placebo: an analysis of the Food and Drug Administration databaseArif Khan
Northwest Clinical Research Center, Bellevue, Washington, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 22:40-5. 2002..Early discontinuation was more frequent among patients whose mean initial HAM-D scores were higher. These data may help inform the design of future antidepressant clinical trials...
- Placebo effects in oral triptan trials: the scientific and ethical rationale for continued use of placebo controlsE Loder
Pain and Headache Management Programs, Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA
Cephalalgia 25:124-31. 2005..These observations support the view that the inclusion of a placebo group remains of major scientific and ethical importance in trials of migraine medications...
- Endogenous opiates and the placebo effect: a meta-analytic reviewMarie D Sauro
Department of Psychology, University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, 285 Old Westport Road, North Dartmouth, MA 02747, USA
J Psychosom Res 58:115-20. 2005..A meta-analysis was performed to investigate the ability of placebo administration to reduce self-report of pain and to examine whether placebo-induced pain reduction might have physiological and psychological underpinnings...
- Cultural variations in the placebo effect: ulcers, anxiety, and blood pressureD E Moerman
Department of Behavioral Sciences, University of Michigan Dearborn, USA
Med Anthropol Q 14:51-72. 2000..Deeper understanding of the intimate relationship between cultural and biological processes will require close ethnographic scrutiny of the meaningfulness of medical treatment in different societies...
- The roles of physiological and subjective stress in the effectiveness of a placebo on experimentally induced painPer M Aslaksen
Department of Psychology, University of Tromsø, N 9037 Tromsø, Norway
Psychosom Med 70:811-8. 2008..To examine whether reduction of negative emotions and associated autonomic activity could explain placebo analgesia, and to test the effect of experimenter gender on the placebo analgesic response...
- Dispositional optimism predicts placebo analgesiaAndrew L Geers
Department of Psychology, University of Toledo, Toledo, Ohio 43606 3390, USA
J Pain 11:1165-71. 2010....
- Consistency of the placebo effectBen Whalley
School of Psychology, University of Plymouth, Plymouth, UK
J Psychosom Res 64:537-41. 2008The existence of reliable personality predictors of the placebo effect is controversial. For prediction to be possible, the response to placebo must be reliable...
- A randomized trial of vertebroplasty for painful osteoporotic vertebral fracturesRachelle Buchbinder
Monash Department of Clinical Epidemiology, Cabrini Hospital, and Monash University, Malvern, Vic, Australia
N Engl J Med 361:557-68. 2009..Vertebroplasty has become a common treatment for painful osteoporotic vertebral fractures, but there is limited evidence to support its use...
- Percutaneous tibial nerve stimulation effects on detrusor overactivity incontinence are not due to a placebo effect: a randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled trialEnrico Finazzi-Agrò
Department of Surgery Urology, Tor Vergata University, Rome, Italy
J Urol 184:2001-6. 2010..This is a prospective, double-blind, placebo controlled study, based on an original placebo technique, performed to evaluate the efficacy of percutaneous tibial nerve stimulation in female patients with detrusor overactivity incontinence...
- A link between serotonin-related gene polymorphisms, amygdala activity, and placebo-induced relief from social anxietyTomas Furmark
Department of Psychology, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
J Neurosci 28:13066-74. 2008..Hence, our study shows, for the first time, evidence of a link between genetically controlled serotonergic modulation of amygdala activity and placebo-induced anxiety relief...
- Drug-related information generates placebo and nocebo responses that modify the drug responseM A Flaten
Department of Psychology, University of Tromsø, Norway
Psychosom Med 61:250-5. 1999..It was investigated whether information alone induced physiological and psychological responses, and whether information modified the response to the drug...
- Expectation enhances autonomic responses to stimulation of the human subthalamic limbic regionMichele Lanotte
Department of Neuroscience, University of Turin Medical School, Turin, Italy
Brain Behav Immun 19:500-9. 2005..In light of the interactions between the sympathetic adrenergic system and the immune system, the open-hidden difference in autonomic responses might be relevant to the understanding of how expectations might affect the immune system...
- Mechanisms of the placebo effect of sweet cough syrupsRonald Eccles
Common Cold Centre, Cardiff School of Biosciences, Cardiff University, Cardiff CF10 3US, UK
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 152:340-8. 2006The review discusses the large placebo effect associated with cough medicines and speculates on the observation that most cough medicines are formulated as sweet syrups rather than capsules or tablets...
- Placebo and opioid analgesia-- imaging a shared neuronal networkPredrag Petrovic
Cognitive Neurophysiology Research Group, Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm 171 76, Sweden, Pain Clinic, Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, Helsinki University Hospital, Finland
Science 295:1737-40. 2002..These findings indicate a related neural mechanism in placebo and opioid analgesia...
- "Maybe I made up the whole thing": placebos and patients' experiences in a randomized controlled trialTed J Kaptchuk
Osher Research Center, Harvard Medical School, 401 Park Drive, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Cult Med Psychiatry 33:382-411. 2009..The placebo effect involved a spectrum of factors and any single theory of placebo--e.g...
- Placebo response in randomized controlled trials of antidepressants for pediatric major depressive disorderJeffrey A Bridge
Department of Pediatrics, Research Institute at Nationwide Children s Hospital, Center for Innovation in Pediatric Practice, 700 Children s Dr, Columbus, OH 43205, USA
Am J Psychiatry 166:42-9. 2009..The authors examined characteristics and predictors of response to placebo in all available reports of short-term randomized controlled trials of antidepressants for pediatric major depressive disorder...
- Predictors of the placebo response in functional dyspepsiaN J Talley
Clinical Enteric Neuroscience, Translational and Epidemiological Research Program CENTER, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 23:923-36. 2006..Trials in functional dyspepsia report placebo response rates of 30% to 40%...
- Improvement of cognitive functions in chronic schizophrenic patients by recombinant human erythropoietinH Ehrenreich
Division of Clinical Neuroscience, Max Planck Institute of Experimental Medicine, Gottingen, Germany
Mol Psychiatry 12:206-20. 2007..The fact that rhEPO is the first compound to exert a selective and lasting beneficial effect on cognition should encourage new treatment strategies for schizophrenia...
- Learning potentiates neurophysiological and behavioral placebo analgesic responsesLuana Colloca
Department of Neuroscience, University of Turin Medical School, and National Institute of Neuroscience, Turin, Italy
Pain 139:306-14. 2008..that prior positive experience plays a key role in maximizing both behavioral and neurophysiological placebo responses, emphasizing that the placebo effect is a learning phenomenon which affects the early central nociceptive processing.
- Patient and practitioner influences on the placebo effect in irritable bowel syndromeJohn M Kelley
Psychology Department, Endicott College, 376 Hale Street, Beverly, MA 01915, USA
Psychosom Med 71:789-97. 2009..To determine whether placebo responses can be explained by characteristics of the patient, the practitioner, or their interpersonal interaction...
- Deconstructing the placebo effect and finding the meaning responseDaniel E Moerman
Department of Anthropology, University of Michigan Dearborn, 6515 Cherry Hill Road, Ypsilanti, MI 48198, USA
Ann Intern Med 136:471-6. 2002We provide a new perspective with which to understand what for a half century has been known as the "placebo effect." We argue that, as currently used, the concept includes much that has nothing to do with placebos, confusing the most ..
- Acupuncture outcomes, expectations, patient-provider relationship, and the placebo effect: implications for health promotionDominicus W So
Department of Psychology, University of Maryland, College Park, MD, USA
Am J Public Health 92:1662-7. 2002....
- New insights into the placebo and nocebo responsesPaul Enck
Department of Internal Medicine VI Psychosomatic Medicine and Psychotherapy, University Hospital, 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Neuron 59:195-206. 2008In modern medicine, the placebo response or placebo effect has often been regarded as a nuisance in basic research and particularly in clinical research...
- Are sham acupuncture interventions more effective than (other) placebos? A re-analysis of data from the Cochrane review on placebo effectsKlaus Linde
Institute of General Practice, Technische Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany
Forsch Komplementmed 17:259-64. 2010..We re-analyzed the data from this review to investigate whether effects associated with sham acupuncture differed from those of other 'physical placebos'...
- Academic physicians use placebos in clinical practice and believe in the mind-body connectionRachel Sherman
University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, USA
J Gen Intern Med 23:7-10. 2008The placebo and the placebo effect are often investigated in the context of clinical trials. Little data exist on the use of placebos in the course of routine health care.
- Acupuncture for tension-type headache: a multicentre, sham-controlled, patient-and observer-blinded, randomised trialHeinz G Endres
Department of Medical Informatics, Statistics and Epidemiology, Ruhr University Bochum, Universitaetsstr 150, D 44801 Bochum, Germany
J Headache Pain 8:306-14. 2007..However, the degree to which treatment benefits depend on psychological compared to physiological effects and the degree to which any physiological effects depend on needle placement and insertion depth are unclear...
- Do "placebo responders" exist?Ted J Kaptchuk
Osher Research Center, Harvard Medical School, 401 Park Drive, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Contemp Clin Trials 29:587-95. 2008The placebo effect has been the subject of much controversy. For a scientific investigation of placebo effects to advance it is important to establish whether a placebo response in any particular illness is reliable - i.e...
- A prefrontal non-opioid mechanism in placebo analgesiaPredrag Petrovic
Cognitive Neurophysiology Research Group, Stockholm Brain Institute, Osher Center for Integrative Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Pain 150:59-65. 2010..and vlPFC was reproduced in another dataset involving emotional placebo and correlated with the degree of the placebo effect. Our results thus support that placebo is different from specific treatment with a prefrontal top-down ..
- A double-blind, placebo-controlled treatment trial of citalopram for major depressive disorder in older patients with heart failure: the relevance of the placebo effect and psychological symptomsRenerio Fraguas
Department and Institute of Psychiatry, Clinics Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Contemp Clin Trials 30:205-11. 2009..This study was developed to investigate the effectiveness of antidepressant treatment for major depressive disorder (MDD) in the elderly with heart failure...
- Clinical trial outcome in neuropathic pain: relationship to study characteristicsJennifer Katz
Department of Psychology, State University of New York College at Geneseo, NY, USA
Neurology 70:263-72. 2008..It is unclear whether these trials were unsuccessful because the medications truly lack efficacy or whether characteristics of the trials compromised the demonstration of treatment benefits...
- Placebo effects on human mu-opioid activity during painTor D Wager
Department of Psychology, Columbia University, 1190 Amsterdam Avenue, New York, NY 10027, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:11056-61. 2007..Overall, the results suggest that endogenous opioid release in core affective brain regions is an integral part of the mechanism whereby expectancies regulate affective and nociceptive circuits...
- The anatomy of the mesolimbic reward system: a link between personality and the placebo analgesic responsePetra Schweinhardt
Alan Edwards Centre for Research on Pain, Faculty of Dentistry, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A2B2
J Neurosci 29:4882-7. 2009..Our findings highlight the relationship between placebo and reward and potentially offer ways of identifying subjects who are likely to show large placebo analgesic responses...
- Mind-set matters: exercise and the placebo effectAlia J Crum
Department of Psychology, Harvard University, 1330 William James Hall, 33 Kirkland St, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Psychol Sci 18:165-71. 2007..These results support the hypothesis that exercise affects health in part or in whole via the placebo effect.
- Placebo analgesia as a case of a cognitive style driven by prior expectationDebbie L Morton
Human Pain Research Group, University of Manchester Rheumatic Diseases Centre, Clinical Sciences Building, Salford Royal Hospital, Salford, Manchester M68HD, UK
Brain Res 1359:137-41. 2010..Placebo analgesia seems to be influenced by a cognitive style that assimilates responses to expectations increasing the chances of error when detecting discrepant sensory information...
- Placebo response in asthma: a robust and objective phenomenonMargaret E Kemeny
University of California, San Francisco, Calif, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 119:1375-81. 2007..Nevertheless, mind-body links and placebo responsivity in asthma are widely believed to exist...
- The power of context: reconceptualizing the placebo effectFranklin G Miller
Department of Clinical Bioethics, National Institutes of Health, USA
J R Soc Med 101:222-5. 2008
- The placebo effect: how the subconscious fits inJ L Mommaerts
Department of General Practice, Faculty of Medicine, Free University of Brussels, Brussels, Belgium
Perspect Biol Med 55:43-58. 2012The placebo effect is very well known, being replicated in many scientific studies. At the same time, its exact mechanisms still remain unknown...
- Antiemetic placebo: reduce adverse drug interactions between chemotherapeutic agents and antiemetic drugs in cancer patientsZhongyi Zhang
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Second Medical College, Southern Medical University, Guangzhou, China
Med Hypotheses 70:551-5. 2008..b>Placebo effect can be reinforced by conferring much meaning...
- Would the elderly be better off if they were given more placebos?E Paul Cherniack
The Geriatrics Institute, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Division of Geriatrics and Gerontology, and the Geriatrics and Extended Care Service and Geriatric Research Education, and Clinical Center of Miami Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Miami, Florida 33125, USA
Geriatr Gerontol Int 10:131-7. 2010Placebos are useful in the medical care of the elderly, although the exact definition of a "placebo" or "placebo effect" is difficult to define precisely...
- [Mechanisms of endogenous pain modulation illustrated by placebo analgesia : functional imaging findings]U Bingel
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Neurologie, Universitäts Klinikum Hamburg Eppendorf UKE, Martinistr 52, 20246, Hamburg, Deutschland
Schmerz 24:122-9. 2010..Here we discuss recent advances in pain imaging research focusing on cognitively triggered endogenous pain control mechanisms and respective implications for future research strategies...
- Peripheral and Central Mechanism of Pain in Patients with FibromyalgiaROLAND M STAUD; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will carefully estimate the contribution of the placebo effect by comparing the natural history (no analgesic intervention) to saline placebo and lidocaine injections during ..
- Placebo Effects in the Treatment of Depression: Cognitive and Neural MechanismsBret R Rutherford; Fiscal Year: 2013..The placebo effect represents a potent treatment for MDD-placebo response in acute randomized controlled trials (RCTs) of ..
- Protocol- vs Patient-Oriented TCM Practices: A RCT for IBS Symptom ManagementJoyce K Anastasi; Fiscal Year: 2012..at a 5 percent Type I error rate and incorporates in the calculation 15 percent attrition and a 30 percent placebo effect. PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) affects 15 percent to 20 percent of North Americans...
- Investigating Neural and Psychotherapeutic Mediators of Placebo Response in MDDCHRISTIAN ANTHONY WEBB; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The placebo effect has received increased attention in both the adult and youth Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) treatment literatures...
- CoEnzyme Q10 in Statin MyopathyPAUL DAVIS THOMPSON; Fiscal Year: 2010..and patients also suggest that CoQ10 supplementation is effective, but such reports cannot exclude a placebo effect. Despite this suggestive evidence, only two small studies have examined CoQ10 in statin myalgic patients and ..
- The Healing Context in CAM: Instrument Development and Initial ValidationCAROL MARIE GRECO; Fiscal Year: 2013..apos;Only recently have investigators entertained the idea that the 'black box'of the placebo effect is worth understanding and enhancing in trials and in clinical settings...
- Predicting Placebo Responses Across Disease StatesJon Kar Zubieta; Fiscal Year: 2012..This proposal therefore addresses the predictability of the placebo effect and its underlying neurobiology...
- Conditioned Pharmacotherapeutic Effects in HypertensionJOHN DAVID BISOGNANO; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by investigator): The lack of scientific attention devoted to the placebo effect as a phenomenon in its own right probably reflects the paucity of theoretical positions within which to organize the existing data and ..
- Executive Function/Metacognitive Training for At-Risk PreschoolersLeanne Tamm; Fiscal Year: 2013..executive functioning, attention, and behavior are due to ETAM or to the effect of parental attention and/or a placebo effect. Consistent with the parameters of the R34 mechanism we propose to assess the feasibility of a design for a ..
- Fibromyalgia and Sleep TreatmentsNancy A Hamilton; Fiscal Year: 2010..neither used placebo controlled groups, which might mean that their significant results were simply a placebo effect, and none have combined this type of intervention with simple behavioral insomnia interventions...
- Elucidating the placebo effects of acupuncture: hot flashes as a clinical modelJun J Mao; Fiscal Year: 2012..The substantial placebo effect observed in previous acupuncture trials presents a major limitation for studying acupuncture and interpreting ..
- Expectancy and Chemotherapy-Induced NauseaJoseph A Roscoe; Fiscal Year: 2013..In addition, studies have shown that expectations of efficacy are largely responsible for the placebo effect and for many of the benefits derived from some CAM therapies...
- Neurobiological Bases of Placebo Response in Major Depressive DisorderCristina Cusin; Fiscal Year: 2013..The understanding of the neurobiological bases of placebo effect, and how to modulate it, would potentially lead to the development of new treatments for depression and ..
- Brain Mechanisms Supporting the Modulation of Pain by Meditation and PlaceboRobert C Coghill; Fiscal Year: 2013..Such factors are critically involved in the placebo effect. Accordingly, the proposed study seeks to determine if meditation-related pain relief engages brain mechanisms ..
- The Role of Partial Reinforcement in the Long Term Management of InsomniaMICHAEL LLOYD PERLIS; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The lack of scientific attention devoted to the placebo effect as a phenomenon in its own right probably reflects the paucity of theoretical positions within which to organize the existing data and ..
- FMRI-based Decoupling of Conditioning and Belief Effects on Placebo AnalgesiaSCOTT MATTHEW SCHAFER; Fiscal Year: 2013..For all subjects, the placebo effect will be tested in the scanner after the final conditioning session...
- Complementary/Alternative Medicine: Expectancy & Outcom*Barry Oken; Fiscal Year: 2009..non-human researchers is important to clinical research and this center proposal includes 1 animal model of placebo effect. This developmental center will lead to future projects that will follow on the planned research potentially ..
- Molecular and Functional PET-fMRI Measures of Placebo Analgesia in MigraineDavid Borsook; Fiscal Year: 2013..By studying the placebo effect in a relevant clinical population, we will obtain unique data on brain function, chemistry, and, critically, ..
- Neuropeptide Y for Cancer-Associated AnorexiaAminah Jatoi; Fiscal Year: 2003..The two most commonly prescribed orexigens are progestational agents and corticosteroids. Independent of a placebo effect, however, only 20% of cancer patients describe appetite improvement with their use...
- Reinforcing Effects of Alcohol During Group FormationMichael Sayette; Fiscal Year: 2009..g., social anxiety), and facilitate social bonding during initial group formation (i.e., a placebo effect)...
- Classical conditioning in Pharmacotherapy of PsoriasisFrancisco Tausk; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The lack of scientific attention devoted to the placebo effect as a phenomenon in its own right probably reflects the paucity of theoretical positions within which to organize the existing data and ..
- A Dynamic Contructivist Model of Placebo AnalgesiaYoshio Nakamura; Fiscal Year: 2006..by applicant): This application responds to RFA: AT-02-002, 'Elucidation of the Underlying Mechanisms of Placebo Effect,' co-sponsored by 12 NIH institutes...
- fMRI study of expectancy on acupuncture analgesiaRandy Gollub; Fiscal Year: 2005..recent RFA (AT-02-002) that calls for "An Integrative Approach to Elucidation of the Underlying Mechanisms of Placebo Effect"...
- Conditioned Placebo Effects & Treatment of HypertensionThomas Pickering; Fiscal Year: 2005..This will enable evaluation of the unconditioned placebo effect. For the next 4 weeks all 3 groups will receive active drug...
- ROLE OF CONDITIONING IN THE PHARMACOTHERAPY OF PSORIASISRobert Ader; Fiscal Year: 2004DESCRIPTION (adapted from investigator's abstract): The lack of scientific attention devoted to the placebo effect as a phenomenon in its own right probably reflects the paucity of theoretical positions within which to organize the ..
- Siemens Symbia T SPECT-CT ScannerAndrew Newberg; Fiscal Year: 2006..Activation studies currently include the study of pain perception and the placebo effect. Our radiochemistry group is continually working on developing new radiopharmaceuticals that will have ..
- The Reliability of the Placebo Effect in AsthmaMichael Wechsler; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- FMRI of cigarette smoking: Effects of dependence, withdrawal, and conditioned reiKimberly Lindsey; Fiscal Year: 2007..SPECIFIC AIM 2: Evaluate the time course of changes in BOLD signal and subjective ratings of placebo effect in response to smoked placebo tobacco: Effects of abstinence and dependence...
- Ocular HSV-1: Preventing Recurrent Corneal DiseaseSTEVEN WECHSLER; Fiscal Year: 2004..decreasing antibody titers are indicative of greatly reduced reactivation this finding argues against a simple placebo effect being responsible for the reduced clinical recurrences...
- Role of Endogenous Opioid System in the Placebo EffectJames Campbell; Fiscal Year: 2006The placebo effect in pain treatment can lead to enhanced efficacy and thereby confound the evaluation of analgesic medications in clinical trials...
- The Placebo Effect in AsthmaRobert Wise; Fiscal Year: 2005..questions: 1) Is there a true placebo response in asthma that is not due to non-specific factors? 2) Can the placebo effect in asthma be augmented by interventions that increase expectancy of benefit? 3) Can interventions that ..
- Identifying Placebo Responders in Drug Treated SubjectsThaddeus Tarpey; Fiscal Year: 2007In order to determine the efficacy of pharmacological interventions in clinical trials, the placebo effect must be taken into consideration...
- Investigation of the Placebo Effect in a Longitudinal Double-Blind Surgical TrialCynthia McRae; Fiscal Year: 2007..2004). Thus, there was a strong placebo effect which continued over the 12 month period of the double-blind...
- Impact of CPAP on Functional Outcomes in Milder OSATerri Weaver; Fiscal Year: 2006..e., those with mild (RDI 5-15) or moderate (RDI 16-30) disease. The large placebo effect that has been reported in controlled studies of functional outcomes associated with OSA mandates the need for ..
- Cranial Stimulation for Chemo Symptoms in Breast CancerDebra Lyon; Fiscal Year: 2004..The three-group design (active CES, sham CES, and usual care) will provide data for examining the placebo effect, if any...
- PREDICTION OF OUTCOME DURING FLUOXETINE CONTINUATIONMaurizio Fava; Fiscal Year: 2001..In each group, 50% of the patients will be assigned to remain on fluoxetine and 50% will switch to placebo. Differences in relapse rates will be examined in the four groups. ..
- PREDICTION OF OUTCOME DURING FLUOXETINEPATRICK MC GRATH; Fiscal Year: 2001..Success in this would allow clinically useful recommendations for continuation treatment to be made based on the collection of relatively simple and easily acquired clinical data. ..
- Patient Variables and Placebo Responses in IBSJ Ablon; Fiscal Year: 2006..patient variables by using an existing patient population from an NIH-funded project entitled, "Enhancing the Placebo Effect in Irritable Bowel Syndrome" (R01 AT 1414-2, Dr. Ted Kaptchuk, PI)...
- Goal Activation, Expectations, and Placebo AnalgesiaANDREW GEERS; Fiscal Year: 2007..A better understanding the role of motivation in placebo responding has important implications for future clinical trials as well as ongoing efforts to alleviate chronic and acute pain. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- SHAM DEVICE, PILL PLACEBO OR TREATMENT FOR ARM PAINTed Kaptchuk; Fiscal Year: 2003..adapted from investigator's abstract): This application is based on observations that the magnitude of the placebo effect produced by a device is greater than that produced by a pill...
- Multiple Factors Affecting Placebo Response in PDChristopher Goetz; Fiscal Year: 2004..Defining these determinant influences will help enhance placebo responses in clinical practice and control them in clinical trials. ..
- An Integrative Healing Model in IBSTed Kaptchuk; Fiscal Year: 2005..research in each of the five areas, a review of the hypotheses, design and analytic plans from an ongoing RCT "Placebo Effect in IBS," the formulation of additional hypotheses as to interactions between factors in two more of the ..
- Enhancing the Placebo Effect in Irritable Bowel SyndromeTed Kaptchuk; Fiscal Year: 2006..grant continues our ongoing research on how placebo effects can be enhanced and provides crucial data on the placebo effect's scientific validity and clinical significance...
- Therapeutic Placebos as Complementary Therapy in ADHDAdrian Sandler; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Neurochemical Endophenotype Responses to Pain-StressJon Kar Zubieta; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Neurochemical mediation of placebo responses in humansJon Kar Zubieta; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- OPTIMIZATION OF ELECTROCONVULSIVE THERAPYWILLIAM MCCALL; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Hypnotics and the Treatment of Psychiatric DisordersWILLIAM MCCALL; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Mu Opioid Mediated Stress Regulation in BPDJon Kar Zubieta; Fiscal Year: 2006..This information is critical for the understanding of the biological mechanisms underlying the symptomatology of BPD, and to guide future research and treatment interventions in this common but poorly understood illness. ..
- ENHANCING TREATMENT OUTCOMES IN DEPRESSIONAndrew Leuchter; Fiscal Year: 2004..These effectiveness projects will include introduction of predictors into the usual treatment setting, and examination of cost-effectiveness and long-term treatment outcomes. ..
- Psychobiologic Factors of the Placebo Response in MDDAndrew Leuchter; Fiscal Year: 2007..The results of this project will lead to better understanding of the mechanisms of the placebo response in MDD. ..
- AN ECOGENETIC STUDY OF ADHDStephen Faraone; Fiscal Year: 2003..Furthermore, no studies have used an ecogenetic approach to sharpen the accuracy of risk prediction. ..
- Complex Isopathic Drug Development for NeuroprotectionWayne Jonas; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Genetic and Tissue Engineering for AneurysmsDavid Kallmes; Fiscal Year: 2004..Successful implementation of this research program will advance the field of genetic and tissue engineering and will improve the care of patients harboring life-threatening cerebral aneurysms. ..
- TESTING THE VALIDITY OF ADULT ATTENTION DEFICIT DISORDERStephen Faraone; Fiscal Year: 2002..Thus, if founded, we expect that the proposed work will lead to a program of research that can both clarify the nosological complexities of adult ADHD and clarify the nature of genes that are risk factors for the disorder. ..
- Pharmacotherapy for Minor DepressionRobert Howland; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results of this study will have profound public health implications by improving our understanding of the efficacy of SJW and standard antidepressants for the treatment of MinorD. ..
- 2/5-The Psychiatric GWAS Consortium: Integrated & Coordinated GWAS Meta-AnalysesStephen Faraone; Fiscal Year: 2008..Finally, the PGC proposes to abide as fully as possible with the NIH's GWAS data sharing policies and we provide a detailed data sharing plan and timetable. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Core symptoms and profiles in premenstrual syndromeEllen Freeman; Fiscal Year: 2008..Further information will contribute to improved health care for women in their reproductive years. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Improved Animal Modeling of Saccular AneurysmsDavid F Kallmes; Fiscal Year: 2010..This program will enhance health by preventing the catastrophic events resulting from spontaneous rupture of intracranial aneurysms. ..
- CAREER DEVELOPMENT IN WOMEN'S HEALTH RESEARCH AND GENDE*Ellen Freeman; Fiscal Year: 2006..The BIRCWH program will track the career trajectories of Scholars and will continue to serve as a resource in terms of career counseling and research advice. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Searching for ADHD Susceptibility GenesStephen V Faraone; Fiscal Year: 2010..That, in turn, should facilitate the search for newer, more effective treatments for the disorder. ..
- International Multi-Center ADHD Genetics ProjectStephen Faraone; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Validating Novel Familial Phenotypes of Drug AbuseStephen Faraone; Fiscal Year: 2007..State of the art statistical techniques will be employed. ..
- SAW PALMETTO EXTRACT IN BENIGN PROSTATIC HYPERPLASIAAndrew Avins; Fiscal Year: 2003..Numerous laboratory parameters will measured at intervals throughout the trial and symptomatic side effects will be assessed. ..
- The Enigma of Placebo Adherence and Health OutcomesAndrew Avins; Fiscal Year: 2009..The results of this investigation will shed important light on powerful biomedical and non-biomedical determinants of health outcomes that, at present, are insufficiently documented and poorly understood. ..