Genomes and Genes
Summary: Societies whose membership is limited to physicians.
Publications227 found, 100 shown here
- Interobserver and intraobserver reliability of the japanese orthopaedic association scoring system for evaluation of cervical compression myelopathyK Yonenobu
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Osaka University Medical School, Suita, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:1890-4; discussion 1895. 2001..It evaluates the severity of myelopathy by allocating points based on degree of dysfunction in each category...
- The American academy of orthopaedic surgeons outcomes instruments: normative values from the general populationFrank G Hunsaker
National Research Corporation, Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 84:208-15. 2002..These data serve as comparative normative scores with which to assess the effectiveness of treatment regimens in clinical practice settings and to study the clinical outcomes of treatment in musculoskeletal research...
- Validation of the Japanese Society for Surgery of the Hand version of the Carpal Tunnel Syndrome InstrumentToshihiko Imaeda
Department of Public Health, Fujita Health University School of Medicine, 1 98 Dengakugakubo, Kutsukakecho, Toyoake, Aichi, 470 1192, Japan
J Orthop Sci 12:14-21. 2007..The purpose of this study was to test the reliability, validity, and responsiveness of the Japanese version of the CTSI (CTSI-JSSH)...
- Publication rates of abstracts presented at annual scientific meetings: how does the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Radiologists compare?Sean A Bydder
Department of Radiation Oncology, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Nedlands, and School of Population Health, University of Western Australia, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Australas Radiol 48:25-8. 2004..Guidelines to scientific committees could increase the APR by more rigorous selection of abstracts. Future research should look at barriers to the publication of research findings, and identify ways to assist the publication process...
- Validation of the Microlife BP 3BTO-A oscillometric blood pressure monitoring device according to a modified British Hypertension Society protocolAlexandra C Cuckson
Maternal and Fetal Research Unit, GKT School of Medicine, St Thomas Hospital, London, UK
Blood Press Monit 7:319-24. 2002....
- Management of hyperglycaemia in type 2 diabetes: a consensus algorithm for the initiation and adjustment of therapy. A consensus statement from the American Diabetes Association and the European Association for the Study of DiabetesD M Nathan
Diabetes Center, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Diabetologia 49:1711-21. 2006
- A 2020 vision of patient-centered primary careKaren Davis
The Commonwealth Fund, New York, NY, USA
J Gen Intern Med 20:953-7. 2005..A major effort to test this concept, develop a business case, provide technical assistance and training, and diffuse best practices is needed to transform American health care...
- Hotline update of clinical trials and registries presented at the German Cardiac Society Meeting 2009L S Maier
Abt Kardiologie and Pneumologie Herzzentrum, Georg August Universitat Gottingen, Gottingen, Germany
Clin Res Cardiol 98:413-9. 2009..in Clin Res Cardiol 96:457-468, 9; Maier et al. in Clin Res Cardiol 97:356-363, 3)...
- Hotline update of clinical trials and registries presented at the German Cardiac Society meeting 2008. (PEPCAD, LokalTax, INH, German ablation registry, German device registry, DES.DE registry, DHR, Reality, SWEETHEART registry, ADMA, GERSHWIN)L S Maier
Abt Kardiologie and Pneumologie Herzzentrum, Georg August Universitat Gottingen, Robert Koch Str 40, 37075 Gottingen, Germany
Clin Res Cardiol 97:356-63. 2008..These comprehensive summaries should provide the readers with the most recent data on diagnostic and therapeutic developments in cardiovascular medicine...
- Publish or be damned? The fate of abstracts presented at the International Continence Society Meeting 2003Rufus Cartwright
Department of Urogynaecology, King s College Hospital, Denmark Hill, London, England, UK
Neurourol Urodyn 26:154-7. 2007..It analyzed the rate and timing of full publication, the factors predicting successful publication, the consistency of reporting between presented abstracts and published abstracts, and the barriers to publication...
- Factors associated with the full publication of studies presented in abstract form at the annual meeting of the American Urological AssociationWilliam A Smith
Division of Urologic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, USA
J Urol 177:1084-8; discussion 1088-9. 2007..We determined factors associated with the publication of abstracts presented at the American Urological Association national meeting...
- An outcome measure for patients with cervical myelopathy: Japanese Orthopaedic Association Cervical Myelopathy Evaluation Questionnaire (JOACMEQ): Part 1Mitsuru Fukui
Laboratory of Statistics, Osaka City University Faculty of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
J Orthop Sci 12:227-40. 2007..The purpose of this study was to develop a new outcome measure for patients with cervical myelopathy...
- ISCEV standard for clinical pattern electroretinography--2007 updateGraham E Holder
Moorfields Eye Hospital, City Road, London, EC1V 2PD, UK
Doc Ophthalmol 114:111-6. 2007..This document is the scheduled revision of that standard...
- Interobserver reproducibility and application of the ISN/RPS classification of lupus nephritis-a UK-wide studyPeter N Furness
Department of Pathology, University Hospitals of Leicester, Leicester, UK
Am J Surg Pathol 30:1030-5. 2006....
- Standard for pattern electroretinography. International Society for Clinical Electrophysiology of VisionM Bach
Univ Augenklinik, Freiburg, Germany
Doc Ophthalmol 101:11-8. 2000..The International Society for Clinical Electrophysiology of Vision has prepared a standard for a basic PERG recording procedure to aid new users in obtaining reliable responses and to encourage more uniformity among existing users...
- Scientific papers presented at the 2000-2001 European Society of Gastrointestinal and Abdominal Radiology (ESGAR) meetings: publication rates during the period 2000-2004Mustafa Secil
Faculty of Medicine, Department of Radiology, Dokuz Eylul University, 35340 Inciralti, Izmir, Turkey
Eur Radiol 17:2183-8. 2007..The publication rate of studies orally presented at ESGAR meetings was 39.5%. No specific variable other than the type of design of the studies appeared to influence the publication rate...
- Hotline update of clinical trials and registries presented at the German Cardiac Society Meeting 2007: 2L-Registry, Kardio-Pro, EVER, AFFECT, VTACH, ARTS II, OPTAMI, PEPCAD I, PEPCAD II, GERSHWIN, SPICE, FIX-CHF and CREDITStephan Rosenkranz
Universitat zu Koln, Klinik fur Innere Medizin III, Joseph Stelzmann Str 9, 50924 Köln, Germany
Clin Res Cardiol 96:457-68. 2007..These comprehensive summaries should provide the readers with the most recent data on diagnostic and therapeutic developments in cardiovascular medicine...
- Evaluation of the validity of the AOFAS Clinical Rating Systems by correlation to the SF-36Nelson Fong SooHoo
UCLA Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, 10833 Le Conte Avenue, Room 76 143 CHS, Box 956902, Los Angeles, CA 90095 6902, USA
Foot Ankle Int 24:50-5. 2003..11 to 0.53) than patients with forefoot disorders (-0.05 to 0.25). The low levels of correlation seen in this study suggest poor construct validity of the AOFAS Clinical Rating Systems...
- Fate of abstracts from the Paris 1995 European Society of Anaesthesiologists meetingJ Castillo
Hospital Mar Esperança Institut Municipal d Assistència Sanitaria, Anaesthesiology Department, Badalona, Spain
Eur J Anaesthesiol 19:888-93. 2002..To assess the publication rate of full papers presented as abstracts at the 1995 meeting of the European Society of Anaesthesiologists, and to assess factors that might predict subsequent full publication...
- Barriers to full-text publication following presentation of abstracts at annual orthopaedic meetingsSheila Sprague
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University Heatlh Sciences Centre, Hamilton, ON, Canada
J Bone Joint Surg Am 85:158-63. 2003....
- The British Society for Rheumatology biologics registerK Watson
Epidemiology Research Unit, Manchester University Medical School, Manchester, UK
Ann Rheum Dis 64:iv42-3. 2005..Both class specific and drug specific analyses of the group treated with biologicals are planned...
- Inclusion criteria for clinical trials in sepsis: did the American College of Chest Physicians/Society of Critical Care Medicine consensus conference definitions of sepsis have an impact?Stephen Trzeciak
Department of Emergency Medicine, UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School at Camden, Cooper University Hospital, Camden, NJ 08103, USA
Chest 127:242-5. 2005..To promote uniformity in inclusion criteria for patient enrollment, the American College of Chest Physicians and Society of Critical Care Medicine first published consensus conference definitions for sepsis in 1992...
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons lower limb outcomes assessment instruments. Reliability, validity, and sensitivity to changeNorman A Johanson
Brigham and Women s Hospital and New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 86:902-9. 2004..The Lower Limb Instruments were developed through a process of literature review, consensus-building, and field-testing...
- Factors associated with failure to publish large randomized trials presented at an oncology meetingMonika K Krzyzanowska
Center for Outcomes and Policy Research, Department of Adult Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, Mass, USA
JAMA 290:495-501. 2003..Large clinical trials are the criterion standard for making treatment decisions, and nonpublication of the results of such trials can lead to bias in the literature and contribute to inappropriate medical decisions...
- Practice styles and preferences of ASCRS members--2002 surveyDavid V Leaming
J Cataract Refract Surg 29:1412-20. 2003..The refractive surgical questions were cross-tabulated for the volume of laser in situ keratomileusis (LASIK). Data in this survey were compared with those in previous surveys of ASCRS members...
- Subsequent publication of orally presented original studies within 5 years after 1995 RSNA Scientific AssemblyLionel Arrive
Service de Radiologie and Unité de Santé Publique, Hopital Saint Antoine, 184 rue du Faubourg Saint Antoine, 75012 Paris, France
Radiology 232:101-6. 2004....
- Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine meeting presentations: what gets published and why?William M Gilbert
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of California, Davis, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 191:32-5. 2004..The purpose of this study was to determine the publication rate and factors influencing publication among presentations to the Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine (SMFM) from 1991 through 2000...
- Evidence- and consensus-based practice guidelines for the therapy of primary myelodysplastic syndromes. A statement from the Italian Society of HematologyEmilio Paolo Alessandrino
Divisione di Ematologia, IRCCS Policlinico S Matteo, Pavia, Italy
Haematologica 87:1286-306. 2002..The Italian Society of Hematology commissioned a project to develop guidelines for the therapy of MDS using evidence-based knowledge and consensus-formation techniques...
- Are medical societies developing a standard for gun injury prevention?M M Longjohn
Mary Ann and J Milburn Smith Child Health Research Program, The Children s Memorial Institute for Education and Research, Chicago, IL, USA
Inj Prev 10:169-73. 2004Following heightened gun violence in the 1990s, many medical societies in the United States adopted policies on the topic.
- The quality of podium presentations at the american society of colon and rectal surgeons: does a decade make a difference?James Church
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44143, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 48:1569-72. 2005..We performed this study to see whether the quality of delivery has improved pari passu with technical advances in presentation of data...
- American Surgical Association Blue Ribbon Committee Report on Surgical Education: 2004Haile T Debas
ASA Blue Ribbon Committee on Surgical Education, UCSF Global Health Sciences, 94143 0443, USA
Ann Surg 241:1-8. 2005
- Refractive Surgery Survey 2004Helga P Sandoval
Magill Research Center for Vision Correction, Storm Eye Institute, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
J Cataract Refract Surg 31:221-33. 2005..9% glaucoma specialists, 1.1% retina specialists, and <1.0% oculoplastics/pediatrics/researchers/retired. Results were compared with those in the 2003 survey and demonstrate that refractive surgery continues to develop and change...
- Fate of abstracts published in the proceedings of the first annual Perinatal Society of Australia and New Zealand Congress in 1997M W Davies
Grantley Stable Neonatal Unit and Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
J Paediatr Child Health 38:501-6. 2002....
- Working Group on Blood Pressure Monitoring of the European Society of Hypertension International Protocol for validation of blood pressure measuring devices in adultsEoin O'Brien
Blood Pressure Unit, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Blood Press Monit 7:3-17. 2002
- The debate over residents' work hoursRobert Steinbrook
N Engl J Med 347:1296-302. 2002
- Full publication of papers presented at the 1995 through 1999 European Association of Plastic Surgeons annual scientific meetings: a systemic bibliometric analysisLydia P E van der Steen
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Plast Reconstr Surg 114:113-20. 2004..Given the high publication rate and the high average normalized impact factor of the journals in which the presentations appeared, the five studied EURAPS meetings overall had high scientific value...
- Comparison of diagnostic criteria for disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC): diagnostic criteria of the International Society of Thrombosis and Hemostasis and of the Japanese Ministry of Health and Welfare for overt DICHideo Wada
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Mie University School of Medicine, Tsu City, Japan
Am J Hematol 74:17-22. 2003..Considered together, our results suggest that the diagnostic criteria for DIC and overt DIC could be improved by changing the cut-off values of the global coagulation tests...
- An evaluation of the use of retrospectively acquired preoperative AOFAS clinical rating scores to assess surgical outcome after elective foot and ankle surgeryB C Toolan
Section of Orthopaedic Surgery and Rehabilitation Medicine University of Chicago Medical Center, IL 60637, USA
Foot Ankle Int 22:775-8. 2001....
- Nuclear cardiology in the UK: activity and practice 1997Elizabeth Prvulovich
Institute of Nuclear Medicine, Royal Free and University College Medical School, Mortimer Street, London W1N 8AA, UK
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 29:553-8. 2002....
- ACC/AHA guidelines for preoperative cardiovascular evaluation for noncardiac surgery: a critical point of viewMichal Barak
Department of Anesthesiology, Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
Clin Cardiol 29:195-8. 2006..Nevertheless, there are some weaknesses in the guidelines. We believe that a better understanding of the guideline limitations will allow an improved and more educated practice of its recommendations...
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists practice bulletins: an overviewSuneet P Chauhan
Division of Maternal Fetal Medicines, Aurora Health Care, West Allis, WI, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 194:1564-72; discussion 1072-5. 2006....
- Well-child visits in the video age: pediatricians and the American Academy of Pediatrics' guidelines for children's media useDouglas A Gentile
Department of Psychology, Iowa State University, W112 Lagomarcino Hall, Ames, IA 50011 3180, USA
Pediatrics 114:1235-41. 2004..Pediatricians were also asked about how often they make media recommendations as part of anticipatory guidance during well-child visits, as well as the perceived efficacy of and barriers to making such recommendations...
- Methodology for guideline development for the Seventh American College of Chest Physicians Conference on Antithrombotic and Thrombolytic Therapy: the Seventh ACCP Conference on Antithrombotic and Thrombolytic TherapyHolger J Schunemann
Department of Medicine, Division of General Internal Medicine, University at Buffalo, ECMC CC 142, 462 Grider St, Buffalo, NY 14226, USA
Chest 126:174S-178S. 2004..In combination with our previous practice of grading recommendations according to their strength, and the methodological quality of the supporting studies, these innovations establish our guidelines as, by and large, evidence based...
- The history of preconception care: evolving guidelines and standardsMargaret Comerford Freda
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Women s Health, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, NY, USA
Matern Child Health J 10:S43-52. 2006..These guidelines and standards are discussed in detail...
- PIER- evidence-base medicine from ACPPatricia Tomasulo
Ehrman Medical Library, New York University School of Medicine, 550 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016, USA
Med Ref Serv Q 23:39-48. 2004..All of the information content in PIER is evidence-based and consists of clinical practice guidelines and recommendations...
- Primer: implementation of guideline-based programs for coronary careKim A Eagle
Cardiovascular Center, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, USA
Nat Clin Pract Cardiovasc Med 3:163-71. 2006..In this review, we describe our experience and identify the most useful strategies for future implementation of such a project...
- Variability in nomenclature used for nevi with architectural disorder and cytologic atypia (microscopically dysplastic nevi) by dermatologists and dermatopathologistsMichael Shapiro
Department of Dermatology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 3600 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Cutan Pathol 31:523-30. 2004..A 1992 National Institutes of Health (NIH) Consensus Conference sought to unify nomenclature and suggested that the term "nevus with architectural disorder" be used along with a comment on melanocytic atypia...
- Emily Blackwell (1826-1910) MD: the other Blackwell physicianArty R Coppes-Zantinga
Department of Oncology, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Med Pediatr Oncol 40:263-5. 2003
- Use of clinical practice guidelines by executive directors of optometric associationsWilliam Howard McAlister
University of Missouri St Louis College of Optometry, St Louis, Missouri, USA
Optometry 77:622-8. 2006..Thirteen guidelines were developed and mailed to AOA members in 1994 and 1995. Additional guidelines were mailed as they were approved. Currently, there are 20 guidelines available...
- [Recognition for professor János Gergely]Poór Gyula
Orv Hetil 147:951-2. 2006
- [Recently published European and American guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of hypertension]P A van Zwieten
Academisch Medisch Centrum Universiteit van Amsterdam, Afd Farmacotherapie, Amsterdam
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 148:868-71. 2004..Whereas the European report permits a choice from among several classes of drugs for initial treatment, the American guidelines still consider diuretics to be the first choice...
- Rhinosinusitis in childrenRussell W Steele
Department of Pediatrics, Ochsner Children s Health Center, 1315 Jefferson Highway, New Orleans, LA 70121, USA
Curr Allergy Asthma Rep 6:508-12. 2006....
- Drug therapy recommendations from the 2005 ACC/AHA guidelines for treatment of chronic heart failurePatricia A Howard
Department of Pharmacy Practice, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS 66160 7231, USA
Ann Pharmacother 40:1607-17. 2006....
- Variability in the management of childhood constipationDean R Focht
Division of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH, USA
Clin Pediatr (Phila) 45:251-6. 2006....
- Hormone replacement therapyPamela Dull
OSU Department of Family Medicine, 1492 East Broad Street, Suite 1302, Columbus, OH 43205, USA
Prim Care 33:953-63. 2006..Alternatives to hormonal therapy are being examined and some may be considered. Table 1 provides an evidence-based summary of current recommendations...
- Intensive care unit quality improvement: a "how-to" guide for the interdisciplinary teamJ Randall Curtis
University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Crit Care Med 34:211-8. 2006....
- How trial designs impact on guidelinesJacqueline A French
Epilepsy Res 68:56-60. 2006..Understanding of the variables that will be considered for treatment guidelines can improve the methodological strength of studies and lead to recommendations for practice...
- A plan to improve end-of-life care for trauma victims and their familiesLenworth M Jacobs
Department of Traumatology and Emergency Medicine, University of Connecticut School of Medicine, USA
J Trauma Nurs 12:73-6. 2005..This article describes a plan to develop, implement, and test a best practice model of end-of-life care for trauma victims and their families...
- History of the Society for Invertebrate PathologyElizabeth W Davidson
School of Life Sciences, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287 4501, USA
J Invertebr Pathol 89:2-11. 2005..The Society for Invertebrate Pathology is a truly international organization which to date has held meetings in 13 countries and 14 US states, usually attended by members from at least 20 countries...
- Practice guidelines: the radiology perspectiveMilton J Guiberteau
St Joseph Radiology Associates, Houston, Texas 77227 7705, USA
J Am Coll Radiol 1:92-7. 2004..The experiences of other medical societies and an inventory of future trends reveal additional challenges associated with the use of practice ..
- Key issues in handling and reporting radical prostatectomy specimensJohn R Srigley
Department of Pathology and Molecular Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Arch Pathol Lab Med 130:303-17. 2006..The prostate specimen must be handled in a systematic fashion to derive the appropriate prognostic parameters...
- Key issues in reporting common cancer specimens: problems in pathologic staging of colon cancerCarolyn C Compton
Department of Pathology, McGill University Health Center, Montreal, Quebec
Arch Pathol Lab Med 130:318-24. 2006..Standardized pathologic assessment is a quality measure for cancer care...
- Comprehensive treatment of heart failure: state-of-the-art medical therapyClyde W Yancy
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas, USA
Rev Cardiovasc Med 6:S43-57. 2005....
- The American Society of Neurophysiological Monitoring position statements projectDavid E Morledge
Neurostatus, LLC, PMB 239, 5120 W Overland Road, Boise, ID 83705 2680, USA
J Clin Monit Comput 20:43-6. 2006..This paper describes the procedures used in drafting these documents...
- Physician reimbursement levels and adherence to American Academy of Pediatrics well-visit and immunization recommendationsThomas K McInerny
Department of Pediatrics, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, New York, USA
Pediatrics 115:833-8. 2005..There is also concern that insufficient physician reimbursement levels may negatively affect the quality of children's health care...
- ACR practice guideline for the performance and interpretation of cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)Pamela K Woodard
Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology, Saint Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Am Coll Radiol 3:665-76. 2006..American College of Radiology requirements for physicians and personnel performing and interpreting cardiac MRI, which will become applicable by July 1, 2008, are also presented...
- The use of AAP-recommended disciplinary practice guidelines among African American caregivers of children in Head Start programsIvor B Horn
Department of General Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, Children s National Medical Center, 2501 Good Hope Rd SE, Washington, DC 20020, USA
Public Health Rep 121:324-30. 2006..This study describes factors associated with the use of AAP-recommended disciplinary practices among lower-income African American caregivers of children in Head Start...
- Clinical guidelines and practice: in search of the truthDean J Kereiakes
Heart Center of Greater Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 48:1129-35; discussion 1136-8. 2006..It is appropriate at this time to briefly review specific aspects of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association practice guidelines and the current process of care for acute ischemic heart disease...
- ACR practice guideline for the performance and interpretation of cardiac computed tomography (CT)Jill E Jacobs
New York University Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
J Am Coll Radiol 3:677-85. 2006..American College of Radiology requirements for physicians and personnel performing examinations are also addressed and will become applicable by July 1, 2008...
- Blood pressure and control of cardiovascular riskJudith A Whitworth
John Curtin School of Medical Research, Australian National University, Canberra, ACT, Australia
Vasc Health Risk Manag 1:257-60. 2005..This emphasis is reflected in the World Health Organization (WHO)-International Society of Hypertension (ISH) 2003 statement on management of hypertension...
- [The Italian Society of Reflexotherapy, Acupuncture and Auricular Therapy (SIRAA) : from the origins to the third millennium]P E Quirico
SIRAA, C so G Ferraris 164, 10134 Torino
Minerva Med 94:1-7. 2003....
- The role of the emergency physician in emergency medical services for childrenMarianne Gausche-Hill
Harbor University of California Los Angeles Medical Center, Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Little Company of Mary Hospital, and the Department of Emergency Medicine, Geffen School of Medicine, Torrance, CA 90509, USA
Ann Emerg Med 42:206-15. 2003....
- 2002 update to the ACC/AHA guidelines for the management of patients with unstable angina and non-ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction: implications for emergency department practiceCharles V Pollack
University of Pennsylvania Health System, Pennsylvania Hospital, 800 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Ann Emerg Med 41:355-69. 2003..Several of the modified and new recommendations again potentially affect ED management. These are presented and discussed here...
- Third molar extraction. Current trendsD Pasqualini
Oral Surgery I, Dentistry Department, San Giovanni Battista Hospital, Turin, Italy
Minerva Stomatol 51:411-24, 424-9. 2002..This article reviews the conclusions from the consensus conferences and integrates them with more recent data. The actual trend seems to justify a more conservative clinical approach rather than an aggressive extraction policy...
- Diagnostic strategies to detect glucose intolerance in a multiethnic populationSonia S Anand
Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiology and Population Health Research Institute, McMaster University, Ontario, Canada
Diabetes Care 26:290-6. 2003....
- Adherence to practice guidelines: the role of specialty society guidelinesLucian L Leape
Department of Health Policy and Management, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Mass 02115, USA
Am Heart J 145:19-26. 2003..We investigated whether physician adherence to guidelines for percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty (PTCA) and coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) varied by source, development methods, or the extent of their evidence-base...
- Clinical practice guidelines as educational tools for obstetrician-gynecologistsCynthia M Farquhar
Department of Research, American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, 409 12th Street, SW, Washington, DC 20024, USA
J Reprod Med 47:897-902. 2002....
- The development of pediatric nephrologyRussell W Chesney
Department of Pediatrics, University of Tennessee College of Medicine, LeBonheur Children s Medical Center, Memphis, Tennessee 38103, USA
Pediatr Res 52:770-8. 2002..The scientific basis of pediatric nephrology, ongoing patient care needs, and its technical aspects - renal biopsy, dialysis and transplantation - assure its continuing future as a major pediatric discipline on all continents...
- [In memoriam: Artúr Linksz (1900-1988)]Alexander Emed
Haifa Einstein str 127, Israel
Orv Hetil 149:185-6. 2008
- Update on newborn hearing screening programsAmy Nagorski Johnson
University of Delaware, Newark, DE, USA
Pediatr Nurs 28:267-70. 2002....
- The assessment of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in rural primary care: the portability of the American Academy of Pediatrics guidelines to the "real world"Jodi Polaha
Department of Psychology, Munroe Meyer Institute, University of Nebraska, 985450 Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68105, USA
Pediatrics 115:e120-6. 2005..The protocol was designed to provide an efficient means for pediatricians to learn and use the ADHD guidelines put forth by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)...
- Virtues of a worldwide congenital heart surgery databaseConstantine Mavroudis
Division of Cardiovascular Thoracic Surgery, Children s Memorial Hospital, Chicago, IL 60614, USA
Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg Pediatr Card Surg Annu 5:126-31. 2002..Reliable information can be used to assess residency/fellowship programs, resource allocation, major therapeutic trends, manpower issues, and in the end, all initiatives that will require accurate information...
- Oral rehydration, emergency physicians, and practice parameters: a national surveyPhilip O Ozuah
Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Children s Hospital at Montefiore, Bronx, New York 10467, USA
Pediatrics 109:259-61. 2002..The objective of this study was to test the hypothesis that awareness of the AAP practice parameters would be associated with a higher rate of use of ORT among emergency physicians...
- Risk reduction in pediatric procedural sedation by application of an American Academy of Pediatrics/American Society of Anesthesiologists process modelGeorge M Hoffman
Department of Anesthesiology, Children s Hospital of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226, USA
Pediatrics 109:236-43. 2002..In this article, we tested the hypothesis that application of an AAP/ASA-structured model would reduce the risk of sedation-related adverse events...
- Furthering the profession: the early years of the American Gynecological Club and its first European toursMichael W Eby
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Loma Linda, California 92350, USA
Obstet Gynecol 99:308-15. 2002..The early years of the American Gynecological Club represent a somewhat idyllic and bygone era in medicine and obstetrics and gynecology...
- Perspectives on the value of American Society of Clinical Oncology clinical guidelines as reported by oncologists and health maintenance organizationsCharles L Bennett
VA Midwest Center for Health Services and Policy Research, Department of Veterans Affairs, Chicago Healthcare System Lakeside Division, Chicago, USA
J Clin Oncol 21:937-41. 2003..ASCO members and Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs) were surveyed on the value and implementation of ASCO guidelines. In this article, we summarize our findings...
- Quality--a radiology imperative: report of the 2006 Intersociety ConferenceN Reed Dunnick
Department of Radiology, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0030, USA
J Am Coll Radiol 4:156-61. 2007..The participants of the 2006 Intersociety Conference developed 49 metrics, which are offered for adoption by health care networks, payers, and regulation agencies...
- A revised staging system for breast cancerAnn Thor
Department of Pathology, Breast Cancer Program, University of Oklahoma Cancer Center, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
Breast J 10:S15-8. 2004..National adaptation of these changes should greatly facilitate inter- and intrainstitutional standardization and data gathering...
- Evidence-based clinical practice guidelines for prostate cancer: the need for a unified approachPhilipp Dahm
Department of Urology, College of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32610 0247, USA
Curr Opin Urol 17:200-7. 2007..It further introduces the recommendations of the Grading of Recommendations, Assessment, Development and Evaluation (GRADE) working group as a unified approach to guideline development...
- Emergency radiology as a sub-speciality has come of ageStanford M Goldman
Eur J Radiol 50:3-4. 2004
- Clinical management of primary hyperparathyroidism and thresholds for surgical referral: a national study examining concordance between practice patterns and consensus panel recommendationsParthiv J Mahadevia
Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Endocr Pract 9:494-503. 2003....
- [Definition of chronic obstructive disease]Takateru Izumi
Nihon Rinsho 61:2058-70. 2003..Nonetheless, problems still remain in defining this disease entity...
- Adequacy of evolving national standardized terminologies for interdisciplinary coded concepts in an automated clinical pathwayPatricia C Dykes
Columbia University, 630 West 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Biomed Inform 36:313-25. 2003....
- Position Paper on urine alkalinizationA T Proudfoot
National Poisons Information Service Birmingham Centre and West Midlands Poisons Unit, City Hospital, Birmingham, UK
J Toxicol Clin Toxicol 42:1-26. 2004..There is no evidence to suggest that relatively short-duration alkalemia (more than a few hours) poses a risk to life in normal individuals or in those with coronary and cerebral arterial disease...
- The history of Pediatric Infectious DiseasesStanford T Shulman
Northwestern University, The Feingerg School of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, The Children s Memorial Hospital, Chicago, IL 60614, USA
Pediatr Res 55:163-76. 2004..Pediatric Infectious Diseases physicians can celebrate the past triumphs of the discipline and future achievements, all contributing to improved health for children...
- Management of acute ischaemic stroke: new guidelines from the American Stroke Association and European Stroke InitiativeCatharina J M Klijn
Stroke Unit, Department of Neurolgoy, Royal Perth Hospital, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Lancet Neurol 2:698-701. 2003..And finally, to improve the uptake of effective therapies into clinical practice (eg, by widely disseminating the ASA and EUSI guidelines)...
- Variability in the American Society of Anesthesiologists Physical Status Classification ScaleWendy L Aronson
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Graduate School of Nursing, Nurse Anesthesia Program, Silver Spring, MD, USA
AANA J 71:265-74. 2003..Several sources of variability were identified: smoking, pregnancy, nature of the surgery, potential difficult airway, and acute injury...
- Revised guidelines for the management of non-ST-segment elevation acute coronary syndromesDebabrata Mukherjee
Division of Cardiology, University of Michigan Health System, 3910 Taubman Center, 1500 East Medical Center Drive, Ann Arbor, MI 48103, USA
Curr Cardiol Rep 5:289-95. 2003..An optimal single strategy encompassing most patients' needs is not clear. This review focuses on the revised American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association guidelines for the management of patients presenting with UA/NSTEMI...
- Closing the gap between science and practice: the need for professional leadershipKim A Eagle
University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 22:196-201. 2003....
- Howard A. Kelly's development as an academician: some insights from his letters to Robert P. HarrisLawrence D Longo
Trans Stud Coll Physicians Phila 24:93-136. 2002....
- Results of the survey of the quality assurance for commercially prepared microbiology media. Update from the College of American Pathologists Microbiology Surveys Program (2001)Ronald N Jones
Jones Group JMI Laboratories, North Liberty, Iowa, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 127:661-5. 2003..No update has occurred in more than 15 years as more complex media have been introduced into clinical microbiology practice...
- Decompressive craniotomy versus medical therapy for refractory intracranial hyperRaminder Nirula; Fiscal Year: 2010..Injury Consortium)1 North-American (Brain Trauma Foundation)4 and international (pediatric neurosurgery)2 medical societies consider DC only as last resort treatment strategy after failure of conservative therapy...
- Removing Barriers to Disclosure-and-Offer ModelsKENNETH E F SANDS; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Comparative Efficacy of Treatments for Lumbar SpineDaniel Resnick; Fiscal Year: 2009..This is the first attempt to coordinate input from multiple medical societies, the insurance industry, and government overseers.
- Health Care Transformation Among Small Urban Practices Serving the UnderservedCAROLYN ANNE BERRY; Fiscal Year: 2011..from this study widely via presentations at conferences and meetings of professional organizations and medical societies, a web based "tool kit" of best practices, and peer-reviewed journal articles...
- NATIONAL CAPITAL CONSORTIUM FOR PEDIATRIC DEVICE INNOVATIONPETER CW KIM; Fiscal Year: 2013..that it takes a strong collaboration of many entities in industr, non-profit, academia, advocacy groups, and medical societies to make pediatric device development a success...
- Implementation and Impact of VA Patient-Centered Medical HomeElizabeth M Yano; Fiscal Year: 2013..4,5 Most major medical societies, and many public and private health care funders currently endorse some version of this concept...
- GRADE - Moving Towards a Consensus on a Consistent Approach to Grading EvidenceYngve Falck Ytter; Fiscal Year: 2007..S. that are using / considering its use (e.g., medical societies, the U.S...
- Colorectal Screening Capacity Building ConferenceDavid Alberts; Fiscal Year: 2003..Continued capacity building and future collaboration will also be woven into this conference to serve as a stone to build upon in the future. ..
- CLINICAL CANCER EDUCATION PROGRAM--DENTALGeorge Greene; Fiscal Year: 1980..These programs were initially proposed and are presently in their early development. It is hoped that we will be able to give a realistic evaluation of its effectiveness in cancer education after three years of operation. ..
- SPECIAL POPULATIONS NETWORK FOR CANCER CONTROLEdith Mitchell; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Youth Violence Prevention Training for Health ProfessionalsLISA MCELANEY; Fiscal Year: 2007..This research will result in a science-based and cost effective training for clinicians poised to play a crucial role in youth violence prevention and intervention. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- A PHASE IV CANCER CONTROL PROJECT FOR PRIMARY PHYSICIANSAllen Dietrich; Fiscal Year: 1993..of the well-established and well-attended continuing medical education programs of specialty groups, state medical societies and hospital grand rounds. An estimated 50-70% of target physicians will attend...
- CLINICAL TRIALS EDUCATION FOR COLORADO PROVIDERSLinda Krebs; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- DATA-BASED INTERVENTIONS IN CANCER CONTROL IN MARYLANDJOHN SOUTHARD; Fiscal Year: 1992..Evaluation of the interventions will be conducted using process and outcome measures...
- SOCIAL MAGNETIC RESONANCE IN MEDICINE--ANNUAL MEETINGJames Hyde; Fiscal Year: 1992..Bringing together the finest researchers and the students of this rapidly evolving field will disseminate knowledge and enhance progress in important areas of medical research that bear on virtually every medical discipline...
- CONSORTIUM CANCER CENTER SUPPORT GRANTSHIRLEY LANSKY; Fiscal Year: 1993....
- Galen's Case HistoriesSUSAN MATTERN PARKES; Fiscal Year: 2005..It will also describe his routine of visits to patients and the practical aspects of how he diagnosed and treated patients. ..
- Improving Patient Safety: Health Systems ReportingPeter Layde; Fiscal Year: 2003..The endorsement of the State Medical Society, the Wisconsin Hospital Association, and the Wisconsin of Public Health will facilitate this demonstration project. ..
- CHP Heart Failure GAP (Guidelines Applied in Practice)Donald Casey; Fiscal Year: 2005..broad-based partnerships among a variety of diverse health care organizations, provider groups, professional medical societies and health care information technology corporations and their stakeholders...
- WORKSHOP ON RESPIRATORY CONTROL IN DIVINGCHARLES SHILLING; Fiscal Year: 1980..Determining the cause of the episodes of unconsciousness may lead to changes in training, improvement of equipment and fewer accidents...
- PREPARING THE UHMS LIBRARY HOLDINGS FOR ONLINE ACCESSDONALD CHANDLER; Fiscal Year: 2001..Additionally, full instructions for the use of the database will be available on line. ..
- ONCOLOGY EDUCATION EVALUATION AND DEVELOPMENTS Kahn; Fiscal Year: 1980..8) To implement and evaluate the nurse oncology screening training program in cooperation with the Luzerne County Medical Society. (Appendix 5) (9) To deliver a course in biostatistics. (Appendix 6)..
- CARDIOLOGY KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT SYSTEMSLAWOMIR LOBODZINSKI; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- HOUSTON SCIENCE EDUCATION PARTNERSHIP: BRAIN-LINKLeslie Miller; Fiscal Year: 1991..Goal 3. To heighten public interest and knowledge about the brain and behavior through the development and installation of "hands-on" exhibits in a museum setting...
- Advancing an Evidence-Based Approach to Barrett's Esophagus: A Health Outcomes ReChin Hur; Fiscal Year: 2007..Although medical societies have published recommendations for screening and surveillance, because of the paucity of clinical trial and ..
- WOMENS STORIES--A VIDEO ON THE IMPORTANCE OF MAMMOGRAMSKevin Smith; Fiscal Year: 2000..An institutional marketing effort will occur through: 1) HMO's; 2) hospitals and other health care facilities; 3) cancer advocacy organizations; and 4) medical societies.
- ADIPOSE TISSUE METABOLISM IN HAARTSamuel Klein; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- SURGICAL STUDIES OF CMV REACTIVATION IN TRANSPLANTATIONMichael Abecassis; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- Oncology Clinical Trial Accrual StudyANNEKE SCHROEN; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Mechanisms By Which Endothelium Cells Sense Changes in HemodynamicsBauer Sumpio; Fiscal Year: 2007..4. Assess egr-1 and sp1 binding in MT1-MMP and PDGF-B promoters under mechanical stress 5.Assess the functional relevance of egr-1 in a low flow carotid model using an egr-1 knock-out mouse. ..
- CTC of the Unprepped Colon: Optimization and ValidationC Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2006..Data generated should provide for a balanced appraisal of the value and practicality of this revolutionary and potentially powerful unique screening tool. ..
- ACRIN FELLOWSHIP TRAINING PROGRAMBRUCE HILLMAN; Fiscal Year: 2004..Fellows who have suitably progreessed will be given an opportunity to develop and lead an ACRIN trial as PI under the tutelege of Program mentors. ..
- Multiple Factors Affecting Placebo Response in PDChristopher Goetz; Fiscal Year: 2004..Defining these determinant influences will help enhance placebo responses in clinical practice and control them in clinical trials. ..
- Eliciting Truly Informed ConsentWilliam Hendee; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- PET IMAGING IN MULTIMODALITY MANAGEMENT OF RECTAL CANCERJose Guillem; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- REGULATION OF ACTIN FILAMENT FORMATION IN PHAGOCYTESFrederick Southwick; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies may provide new strategies for defending against infections, controlling auto-immune diseases and regulating the timing of cell death. ..
- Design And Development Of A Non-Invasive Non-Imaging Vascular Function MonitoringMorteza Naghavi; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PAT PROTEINS: GENE-DIET INTERACTIONS OBESITY RISK AND HEALTHJose Ordovas; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- COMPUTERIZED RADIOGRAPHIC ANALYSIS OF BONE STRUCTUREMaryellen Giger; Fiscal Year: 2009..We expect that with this grant renewal, we will be able to complete the research with a focus on translation of the results into the clinical arena. ..
- Prostate Cancer Development & GrowthChristina Wang; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results will provide the important missing link between diet fat and CaP growth and development. ..
- STRUCTURE-FUNCTION RELATIONSHIPS OF PROTEIN 4.1 IN BLOODEDWARD BENZ; Fiscal Year: 2009..These studies should yield new insights about the function of 4.1Rin cellular architecture and achievement of the post-mitotic contact inhibited state. ..
- PROCESSES AND OUTCOMES OF BREAST CANCER CAREKatherine Kahn; Fiscal Year: 2002..less affluent socioeconomic groups vary as a function of: definition of the measures of baseline patient characteristics, processes, and outcomes; data source; and definition of the cohort. ..
- SYSTEMIC IMPLICATIONS OF TOTAL JOINT REPLACEMENTJoshua Jacobs; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Cannabinoid Mechanisms in Human Gastrointestinal Motor and Sensory FunctionsMICHAEL L CAMILLERI; Fiscal Year: 2010..These actions may be relevant to develop new treatments for IBS. The studies will also provide further understanding of the potential of medications like medical marijuana on stomach function that may be relevant to appetite control. ..
- GENE TRANSFER TO THE VASCULAR ENDOTHELIUMTheodore Friedmann; Fiscal Year: 2003..Finally, we propose to characterize the biodistribution of these targeted vectors by sensitive fluorescence methods and correlate vector attachment with sites of endothelial-specific gene expression. ..
- Harbor-UCLA Initiative for Minority Student DevelopmentChristina Wang; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Adenosine Receptor-Mediated Protection in Reperfused MIGeorge Beller; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Improving the Quality of Diabetes Eye CarePaul Lee; Fiscal Year: 2006..The insights from the study results should be applicable to other areas of diabetes care and health care in general. ..
- Evaluating Alcohol Brief Intervention ImplementationThomas Babor; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Long-term antidepressant outcome in bipolar depressionNASSIR GHAEMI; Fiscal Year: 2005..In this process, the applicant will develop competence to lead independent studies of the long-term treatment of bipolar disorder as a principal investigator. ..
- CD8 T Cell Interaction with Bone Cells in HIV DiseaseRita Effros; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Moral Distress and Suffering of Genetics ProfessionalsGail Geller; Fiscal Year: 2007..Such an intervention would be aimed at renewing commitment to the profession and improving patient care. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Role of Matrix Metalloproteinase-2 in Liver FibrosisMeena Bansal; Fiscal Year: 2007..Findings from these investigations may lead to novel approaches to the treatment of chronic fibrosing liver disease. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Develop a Primary Care Colon Cancer Screening ConsortiumAllen Dietrich; Fiscal Year: 2005..The consortium partner has well-established relationships with the Dartmouth team bringing substantial patient racial and economic diversity to the effort. ..
- Conf. on Research Education & Training in OtolaryngologyJennifer Grandis; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Conference on the Biology of AgingRita Effros; Fiscal Year: 2007..The dissemination of information that is useful for maintaining the health and vitality of this age group will have a significant impact on the quality of life of a large number of Americans. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Siemens Acuson Sequoia Ultrasound MachineJames Stein; Fiscal Year: 2005..There is significant opportunity for greater collaboration, research productivity, and cost savings if an ultrasound system is made available at the UW Medical School as a shared resource. ..
- REPRODUCTIVE MEDICINE AND THE LAW WORKSHOPSRobert Rebar; Fiscal Year: 2007..These workshops are expected to be the first in an ongoing dialogue between medical and legal scholars in their efforts to provide sound legal guidance for patients undergoing ART. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Exploratory Center for Vaccinology Research (RMI)Walter Orenstein; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- TREATMENTS FOR BENIGN PAROXYSMAL POSITIONAL VERTIGOHelen Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2008..4. Determine the influence of rhinosinusitis. A) Determine the prevalence of rhinosinusitis in patients with BPPV. B) Determine if the presence of rhinosinusitis affects severity of symptoms or response to treatment. ..
- Delphi Evaluation of Alcohol Advertising CodesThomas Babor; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..