academies and institutes
Summary: Organizations representing specialized fields which are accepted as authoritative; may be non-governmental, university or an independent research organization, e.g., National Academy of Sciences, Brookings Institution, etc.
Publications271 found, 100 shown here
- Psychological intervention programs for reduction of injury in ballet dancersYoung Eun Noh
Department of Physical Education, College of Education, Chonnam National University, Gwangju, South Korea
Res Sports Med 15:13-32. 2007....
- From Mexico to Mali: progress in health policy and systems researchSara Bennett
Alliance for Health Policy and Systems Research, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland
Lancet 372:1571-8. 2008..Recommendations from the summit in Mexico remain pertinent, and momentum towards their achievement must be accelerated through the ministerial forum in Mali and beyond...
- Quality improvement in neurology: AAN epilepsy quality measures: Report of the Quality Measurement and Reporting Subcommittee of the American Academy of NeurologyN B Fountain
Department of Neurology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, USA
Neurology 76:94-9. 2011..Therefore, epilepsy performance measures were derived through a standardized systematic process and may be the basis for pay-for-performance initiatives and maintenance of certification requirements...
- Adherence to quality measures in a pediatric epilepsy center: a pilot studyMontida Veeravigrom
Department of Pediatric Neurology, Children s Hospital of Michigan, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan 48109, USA
Pediatr Neurol 48:291-3. 2013..Practitioner education, use of electronic checklists, and an automated tracking system may enhance compliance and ultimately lead to superior patient care...
- AAN Epilepsy Quality Measures in clinical practice: a survey of neurologistsVibhangini S Wasade
Comprehensive Epilepsy Program, Department of Neurology, Henry Ford Hospital, 2799 West Grand Boulevard, Detroit, MI 48202, USA
Epilepsy Behav 24:468-73. 2012..The findings in this study indicate that additional educational efforts are needed to increase awareness and to improve quality of epilepsy care at various points of health care delivery...
- Building a pharmacological lexicon: small molecule discovery in academiaJohn S Lazo
Department of Pharmacology, Pittsburgh Molecular Library Screening Center, University of Pittsburgh, Biomedical Science Tower 3, Suite 10040, Pittsburgh, PA 15261 0001, USA
Mol Pharmacol 72:1-7. 2007..We present some of the challenges and opportunities provided by the Molecular Library Screening Centers Network (MLSCN), which is a National Institutes of Health Roadmap Initiative...
- The cancer technology appraisal programme of the UK's National Institute for Clinical ExcellencePeter Littlejohns
National Institute of Clinical Excellence, London, UK
Lancet Oncol 4:242-50. 2003..In this review we describe the process of appraising technologies, and address the recent criticism of the appraisal programme with regard to treatment of patients with cancer...
- Pathology of immunodeficient mice with naturally occurring murine norovirus infectionJerrold M Ward
Infectious Disease Pathogenesis Section, Comparative Medicine Branch, Division of Intramural Research, NIAID, NIH, Twinbrook III, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 8135, USA
Toxicol Pathol 34:708-15. 2006..Further studies are needed to determine whether MNV presents a confounding variable in immunological, toxicological and pathological studies in mice naturally infected with MNV...
- Consensus making process in the Korean Academy of Medical Sciences Guideline for Physical Impairment: evaluation as a social processYoosik Youm
Department of Sociology, Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 24:S242-6. 2009..3) Public attitude did not always consistent with doctor's opinion. All these findings strongly suggest the need for developing strategies to draw consensus for legitimate and effective evaluation...
- How the rich get richerMike Rossner
J Exp Med 204:1503. 2007..HHMI will bestow monetary rewards on a commercial publisher in return for the type of public access already provided by many nonprofit publishers...
- Harvard's melting potPeter Aldhous
Nature 416:256-7. 2002
- Due process in investigations of research misconductMichelle M Mello
Department of Health Policy and Management, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston 02115, USA
N Engl J Med 349:1280-6. 2003
- Nobel laureates at the Stazione Zoologica Anton Dohrn: phenomenology and paths to discovery in neuroscienceChristiane Groeben
History of Science Unit and Historical Archives, Stazione Zoologica Anton Dohrn, Villa Comunale, Naples, Italy
J Hist Neurosci 15:376-95. 2006..Their work on the squid at Naples allowed probing and quantitative refinement of results already obtained on different animals and contributed to reinforce the long lasting neurophysiological tradition of the institute...
- [Basic cancer research in Québec]Michel L Tremblay
Centre de recherche sur le cancer de l Université McGill, 3655 Promenade Sir William Osler, McIntyre Medical Sciences Building, Universite McGill, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H3G 1Y6
Bull Cancer 93:827-30. 2006..Direct and growing collaborations between these centres and their usage of state of the art technological platforms place them in an excellent position to participate into first-rate oncology studies on the international scene...
- Neurosciences and research on chemical weapons of mass destruction in Nazi GermanyFlorian Schmaltz
Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Historical Instiute, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
J Hist Neurosci 15:186-209. 2006..The article discusses the involvement of IG Farben scientists, educational, medical and military institutions, and of Nobel Prize laureate Richard Kuhn, director of the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute for Medical Research...
- The Oswaldo Cruz Institute and its relationship with other biomedical research centers in São PauloL A Teixeira
Casa de Oswaldo Cruz, FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parassitologia 47:345-51. 2005..It concludes by showing that, due to the institutions' greater professionalization, these influences were increasingly turned into integration...
- Harriette Chick and the problem of ricketsKenneth J Carpenter
Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720 3104, USA
J Nutr 138:827-32. 2008
- Edward David Frohlich, MD: a conversation with the editor. Interview by William Clifford RobertsEdward David Frohlich
Am J Cardiol 92:565-81. 2003
- [François Calot, founder of the Orthopedic Institute of Berck]Philippe Loisel
Hist Sci Med 39:277-83. 2005..As he wrote many books on orthopaedic surgery he also founded the "Institut orthopédique de Berck" which is now named "Institut Calot"...
- Biomedical community. HHMI's Cech signs off on his biggest experimentJocelyn Kaiser
Science 320:164. 2008
- A century of "The Society of Medicine and Natural Sciences of Parma" and three centuries of medical and scientific academies and journals in ParmaRaffaele Virdis
Acta Biomed 74:4-8. 2003
- Pictures of Dorothy HodgkinPatricia Fara
Clare College, CB2 1TL, Cambridge, UK
Endeavour 27:85-6. 2003..Although Hambling's picture features a model of insulin, it is very different from photographs celebrating the discovery of DNA...
- [Seventy years of research in experimental mycology at the Institute of Microbiology and Virology of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine]N M Zhdanova
Institute of Microbiology and Virology, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, 154 Zabolotny St, Kyiv, 03143, Ukraine
Mikrobiol Z 65:70-83. 2003..K. Zabolotny Institute of Microbiology and Virology of the NAS of Ukraine and main achievements of the Department of Physiology and Taxonomy of Micromycetes during 1933-2003 were described in this publication...
- [Department of Antibiotics--its history and the present]V V Smirnov
Institute of Microbiology and Virology, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, 154 Zabolotny St, Kyiv, 03143, Ukraine
Mikrobiol Z 65:31-42. 2003..The main trends of scientific research and their most important results for the whole period of the Department existence are presented...
- [History and personalities at the Department of Urology, University of Magdeburg. From medical academy to university]T Klatte
Urologische Universitätsklinik, Magdeburg, Germany
Urologe A 45:1318-21. 2006..The department has an interesting history. Numerous famous urologists were trained here...
- Are research schools necessary? Contrasting models of 20th century research at Yale led by Ross Granville Harrison, Grace E. Pickford and G. Evelyn HutchinsonNancy G Slack
The Sage Colleges, Troy, NY, USA
J Hist Biol 36:501-29. 2003..His group did not have one focused area of research or use one set of research tools. The paper concludes that new models for research groups are needed, especially for those, like Hutchinson's, that included much field research...
- Profile: Otmar WiestlerGunjan Sinha
Nat Med 10:219. 2004
- Looking backGeorges N Cohen
Insitut Pasteur, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Paris 75015, France
Annu Rev Microbiol 59:1-17. 2005....
- Gender, politics, and radioactivity research in interwar Vienna: the case of the Institute for Radium ResearchMaria Rentetzi
National Technical University of Athens, Efestion II, Thisio, Athens 11851, Greece
Isis 95:359-93. 2004....
- The "Friedrich-Loeffler-Institut": past, present and future of research in infectious diseases of animalsFranz J Conraths
Friedrich Loeffler Institut, Institut fur Epidemiologie, Bundesforschungsinstitut für Tiergesundheit, Wusterhausen, Germany
Berl Munch Tierarztl Wochenschr 118:354-64. 2005....
- Professor Joseph Warren Horton (1889-1967): biological engineerGerald L Zeitlin
232 Allandale Road, Unit 2C, Chestnut Hill, MA 02467, USA
J Med Biogr 13:39-45. 2005....
- Fred Kavli profile. A new benefactor takes aim at basic scientific questionsRobert Irion
Science 307:340-2. 2005
- Academic psychiatry and the pharmaceutical industryThomas A Ban
Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, USA
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 30:429-41. 2006....
- A short history of neurosciences in AustriaK A Jellinger
Institute of Clinical Neurobiology, Vienna, Austria
J Neural Transm 113:271-82. 2006....
- Group scienceLaurie Goodman
J Clin Invest 114:1004-5. 2004
- [Hematopoietic stem-cell transplantation: a long way, from animal models to a standard treatment in human]Eucario Leon-Rodriguez
Rev Invest Clin 57:129-31. 2005
- Howard Fox, MD, founding father, American Academy of Dermatology: a historical tribute on the 50th anniversary of his deathRobert A Schwartz
Dermatology, New Jersey Medical School, Newark, New Jersey 07103, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 51:471-3. 2004
- Research foundations. Biochemist Robert Tjian named president of Hughes InstituteJocelyn Kaiser
Science 322:35. 2008
- Andre Hellegers and Carroll House: architect and blueprint for the Kennedy Institute of EthicsJohn Collins Harvey
Clinical Center for Bioethics, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
Kennedy Inst Ethics J 14:199-206. 2004..That center would become Georgetown's Kennedy Institute of Ethics...
- To heal and to serve: military medical education throughout the centuriesAnke H Scultetus
Department of Surgery, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD, USA
J Am Coll Surg 202:1005-16. 2006
- Bibliometric analysis on global Parkinson's disease research trends during 1991-2006Tao Li
Department of Neurology, Renmin Hospital, Wuhan University, Wuhan 430060, China
Neurosci Lett 441:248-52. 2008..Finally, author keywords were analyzed contrastively, with research trends and recent hotspots provided...
- Systems psychodynamics: the formative years of an interdisciplinary field at the Tavistock InstituteAmy L Fraher
Paradox and Company, San Diego, CA, USA
Hist Psychol 7:65-84. 2004..This article provides a synthesis of this history and focuses, in particular,on the intellectual foundations of the Tavistock method of working experientially with groups and the application of this method to the study of organizations...
- A very brief history of arbovirology, focusing on contributions by workers of the Rockefeller foundationCharles H Calisher
Arthropod Borne and Infectious Diseases Laboratory, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 5:202-11. 2005
- Chances and choices: Cold Spring Harbor 1944-1955Evelyn M Witkin
Waksman Institute, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, New Brunswick, New Jersey 08855 0759 e mail
Annu Rev Microbiol 56:1-15. 2002..She then recalls incidents and recounts anecdotes meant to convey something of the atmosphere of that place during those memorable years...
- Pantheon of brains: the Moscow Brain Research Institute 1925-1936Jochen Richter
J Hist Neurosci 16:138-49. 2007....
- [The evolution of the Institut Pasteur during a century]L Le Minor
Institut Pasteur, Paris
Ann Ig 14:53-9. 2002
- [Contribution of hygiene to the economic and social rebirth of Sardinia]B Scarpa
Dip di Igiene e Sanità Pubblica, Universita degli Studi di Cagliari
Ann Ig 14:169-78. 2002
- Better prepared than synthesized: Adolf Butenandt, Schering Ag and the transformation of sex steroids into drugs (1930-1946)Jean Paul Gaudilliere
CERMES INSERM, Paris, France
Stud Hist Philos Biol Biomed Sci 36:612-44. 2005..The paper finally shows how the wartime scientific and industrial mobilization in Nazi Germany marginalized the study of sex steroids and led to the dismantling of the KWIB-Schering network...
- Scientific research at the Laboratoire Arago (Banyuls, France) in the twentieth century: Edouard Chatton, the "master", and André Lwoff, the "pupil"Marie Odile Soyer-Gobillard
Observatoire Océanologique de Banyuls, CNRS, UMR 76 28 Modèles en Biologie Cellulaire et Evolutive, Universite Paris 6, Banyuls sur Mer, France
Int Microbiol 5:37-42. 2002....
- Claire Fraser profile. TIGR's chief: results without the roarElizabeth Pennisi
Science 296:1957-8. 2002
- Ludwig Edinger (1855-1918)Frank W Stahnisch
Department of Social Studies of Medicine, McGill University, 3647 Peel Street, H3A 1X1, Montreal, PQ, Canada
J Neurol 255:147-8. 2008
- McClintock and marriageSharon B McGrayne
Science 296:47. 2002
- [Leonardo de la Peña Díaz (1875-1957) and the founding of the first chair of urology in Spain]Emilio Maganto Pavón
Servicio de Urologia, Hospital Ramon y Cajal, Madrid, Espana
Arch Esp Urol 55:9-23. 2002..His merits were finally recognized not only by the board but also by his opponents...
- Portrait of Science. Scientist, technologist, proto-feminist, superstarRoger M Macklis
Department of Radiation Oncology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Science 295:1647-8. 2002..By nature shy and reserved, Marie's fame, as both a scientist and as an exemplar of a liberated professional woman of the roaring twenties, grew to superstar proportions...
- Introduction: lesbian academic couplesMichelle Gibson
English, University of Cincinnati, OH, USA
J Lesbian Stud 9:1-12. 2005
- Barbara McClintock's long postdoc yearsNathaniel C Comfort
Science 295:440. 2002
- [From Késmárk to the Röntgen Institute in Budapest--Béla Alexander's career in the countryside]Laszlo Kiss
Orv Hetil 148:1146-8. 2007
- [Achievements of the Cracow School of Forensic Medicine--on the 200 th anniversary of the Chair of Forensic Medicine--Part II]Franiszek M Trela
Katedra i Zakład Medycyny Sadowej, Collegium Medicum, Uniwersytetu Jagiellonskiego w Krakowie
Przegl Lek 63:1331-4. 2006
- [75th anniversary of the death of grf. Kunó Klebelsberg]Peter Hencz
Orv Hetil 148:2199-201. 2007
- Erwin H. Ackerknecht, social medicine, and the history of medicineCharles E Rosenberg
Department of the History of Science, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Bull Hist Med 81:511-32. 2007..His emphases on everyday medical practice and on siting ideas in their social and institutional context seem prescient, a forerunner of contemporary trends in social and cultural history...
- History of the American Institute of PharmacyGeorge Griffenhagen
Pharm Hist 44:47-63. 2002
- The legend of LawtonJ Lawton Smith
Departments of Ophthalmology and Neurology, Kellogg Eye Center, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48015, USA
J Neuroophthalmol 22:228-39. 2002
- Out in the coldPaul Smaglik
Nature 421:95. 2003
- [The "Instituto de Salud Carlos III" and the public health in Spain. Origin of laboratory medicine and of the central laboratories and research in public health]Rafael Nájera Morrondo
Centro Nacional de Microbiologia, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Ministerio de Sanidad y Consumo, Majadahonda, Madrid
Rev Esp Salud Publica 80:585-604. 2006....
- University-industry collaboration. Last of the big-time spenders?Andrew Lawler
Science 299:330-3. 2003
- [Commemoration of the 25th anniversary of the Health Research Foundation]Javier Olave Lusarreta
An R Acad Nac Med (Madr) 123:61-149. 2006
- Fritz Jahr's 1927 concept of bioethicsHans Martin Sass
European Professional Ethics Program, Kennedy Institute of Ethics, Georgetown University, Washington, DC, USA
Kennedy Inst Ethics J 17:279-95. 2007....
- Armed Forces Institute of Pathology in jeopardy--who should care?Fred Gorstein
Hum Pathol 34:203-5; discussion 205. 2003
- [The mission and the place of the Academy of Medicine at the onset of the 21st century]Maurice Tubiana
Presse Med 32:533-4. 2003
- [The centenary of the founding of the "Clinica del Lavoro Luigi Devoto" in Milan (1902-2002). The oldest health organization in the world for the study, treatment, and prevention of occupational diseases]A Grieco
Commissione Ricerca Scientifica della Clinica del Lavoro, Luigi Devoto
Med Lav 94:26-30. 2003..Actually to those asking why "Clinic of Work" and not "Clinic of Workers", Devoto used to reply that it was work that was ill and therefore it was necessary to treat the work to prevent workers' illnesses...
- 100 years on: a century of geneticsJim M Dunwell
School of Biological Sciences, University of Reading, Whiteknights, Reading RG6 6AS, UK
Nat Rev Genet 8:231-5. 2007..Despite this deprivation, they established the foundations of an ongoing revolution, with huge academic and commercial consequences that we can recognize today in the shape of genomics and its application to biomedicine...
- Waldemar Mordecai Haffkine, CIE (1860-1930): prophylactic vaccination against cholera and bubonic plague in British IndiaBarbara J Hawgood
J Med Biogr 15:9-19. 2007..The Haffkine Biopharmaceutical Corporation Ltd and the Haffkine Institute for Training, Research and Testing in Mumbai continue to be important centres for public health...
- Noble J. David, MD, reminiscesNoble J David
Departments of Ophthalmology and Neurology, Kellogg Eye Center, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48015, USA
J Neuroophthalmol 22:240-6. 2002
- Behavioral toxicology in the 21st century: challenges and opportunities for behavioral scientists. Summary of a symposium presented at the annual meeting of the neurobehavioral teratology society, June, 2009Philip J Bushnell
National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory, U S Environmental Protection Agency, Research Triangle Park, NC 27711, United States
Neurotoxicol Teratol 32:313-28. 2010..Initial advances will likely provide better prioritization tools so that animal resources are used more efficiently and effectively...
- Genomics, molecular imaging, bioinformatics, and bio-nano-info integration are synergistic components of translational medicine and personalized healthcare researchJack Y Yang
Harvard Medical School, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02115, USA
BMC Genomics 9:I1. 2008....
- [A great Franco-Mauritian epidemiologist: Joseph Désiré Tholozan (1820-18970]J Theodorides
Recherche honoraire au CNRS, Paris
Bull Soc Pathol Exot 91:104-8. 1998..His name was given by Laboulbène to Ornithodoros tholozani, a tick vector of a recurrent fever (spirochetosis due to Borrelia persica), of which he had described both the symptoms and the vector in 1882...
- The Football Association medical research programme: an audit of injuries in academy youth footballR J Price
The Football Association, Lilleshall Hall National Sports Centre, Lilleshall, Near Newport, Shropshire TF10 9AT, UK
Br J Sports Med 38:466-71. 2004..To undertake a prospective epidemiological study of the injuries sustained in English youth academy football over two competitive seasons...
- A review of the use of CAM therapy and the sources of accurate and reliable informationMary McHughes
Department of Pharmacotherapy, College of Pharmacy, University of Utah, 30 South 2000 East Rm 258, Salt Lake City, UT 84112 5820, USA
J Manag Care Pharm 11:695-703. 2005....
- 2K09 and thereafter : the coming era of integrative bioinformatics, systems biology and intelligent computing for functional genomics and personalized medicine researchJack Y Yang
Department of Radiation Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
BMC Genomics 11:I1. 2010..Joydeep Ghosh (UT Austin), Dr. Aidong Zhang (Buffalo) and Dr. Zhi-Hua Zhou (Nanjing) for their significant contributions to the field of intelligent biological medicine...
- Issues in using human variability distributions to estimate low-dose riskKenny S Crump
Louisiana Tech University, Ruston, Louisiana 71272 0046, USA
Environ Health Perspect 118:387-93. 2010..This distribution is centered at a point-of-departure dose that is usually estimated from animal data. The resulting log-normal distribution is used to quantify low-dose risk...
- The global health workforce shortage: role of surgeons and other providersGeorge F Sheldon
Department of Surgery, The University of North Carolina, CB 7050, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7050, USA
Adv Surg 42:63-85. 2008..The recommendation that students make personal specialty choices reversed the prior recommendation that a majority of students enter primary care practice...
- Medicine in the Encyclopédie (1751-1780) of Diderot and d'AlembertNatale G De Santo
First Chair of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Second University of Naples, Naples Italy and Italian Institute for Philosophical Studies, Naples, Italy
J Nephrol 24:S12-24. 2011..New accurate definitions appeared for life, disease, death, infections, plague, epidemics, hygiene, fevers and edema. Semiology, the study of signs, became the visible explanation of deranged function, diagnosis and prognosis...
- Look-alike medications: a formula for possible morbidity and mortality in the long-term care facilityGrant Walliser
Hattie Larlham Center for Children With Disabilities, Hattie Larlham Research Institute, Mantua, Ohio, USA
J Am Med Dir Assoc 8:541-2. 2007..We report such an experience where a patient in a long-term care facility received multi-day, excessive dosing of glipizide rather than her anti-spasticity medication, baclofen...
- Hydrophilic fungi and ergosterol associated with respiratory illness in a water-damaged buildingJu Hyeong Park
Division of Respiratory Disease Studies, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Morgantown, WV 26505, USA
Environ Health Perspect 116:45-50. 2008..Damp building-related respiratory illnesses are an important public health issue...
- Shackling the shoulders of giants. A report on excerpts from the National Academies' Symposium on the Role of Scientific and Technical Data and Information in the Public Domain, Washington, DC, September 5-6, 2002John S Gardenier
Sci Eng Ethics 9:425-34. 2003..The definitive record of the symposium is planned to be available from the National Academies Press as a Proceedings publication in the summer of 2003...
- [Atopic dermatitis in children and food allergy: combination or causality? Should avoidance diets be initiated?]G Kanny
Medecine Interne, Immunologie Clinique et Allergologie, CHU de Nancy, Hopital Central, 54035 Nancy Cedex
Ann Dermatol Venereol 132:1S90-103. 2005..Understanding the triggering mechanisms of oral tolerance will permit the development of strategies for the prevention and cure of food allergies...
- Argument on removal of respirator in JapanMitsuyasu Kurosu
Department of Bioethics Medical Ethics, Tokyo Medical University, 6 1 1 Shinjuku Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 160 8402, Japan
Leg Med (Tokyo) 11:S399-400. 2009..Even if a patient decides autonomously that he wishes his life to be prematurely terminated, he is not in a position to carry out this act himself. Therefore, the conduct of physicians has become an important issue...
- [From apprenticeship to Nobel Prize: Henri Moissan's fabulous destiny]O Lafont
Laboratoire de Pharmacochimie, Faculte de medecine et de pharmacie de Rouen, Universite de Rouen, 22, boulevard Gambetta, 76183 Rouen Cedex 1, France
Ann Pharm Fr 66:28-33. 2008..Nothing of that would have been possible if there had not been a second-class pharmacist diploma. The history of Henri Moissan is one of a rise from apprenticeship to the Nobel Prize...
- Drug-resistant tuberculosis in the European Union: opportunities and challenges for controlRobin Fears
European Academies Science Advisory Council Secretariat, Royal Society, London, UK
Tuberculosis (Edinb) 90:182-7. 2010..It remains very important for the EC that neither biomedical research nor investment in health services should become a casualty of the current economic recession...
- History and status of embryology and developmental biology at Polish Medical Faculties and SchoolsHieronim Bartel
Department of Histology and Embryology, Medical University of Lodz, Poland
Int J Dev Biol 52:141-6. 2008..In the XX century, eminent medicine-related embryologist included professors Emil Godlewski Jr., Stanislaw Hiller and Stefan Baginski...
- The status of the seventh report in the series Biological Effects of Ionizing Radiations and a revised dosimetry for the Radiation Effects Research Foundation's A-bomb studiesEvan Douple
National Academies, Washington, DC 20001, USA
J Radiol Prot 22:A175-9. 2002..The committee's statement of task is reviewed along with the major recommendations of the recent National Research Council report on the status of DS86--recommendations that are being implemented by US and Japan dosimetry working groups...
- Nine out of 10 food advertisements shown during Saturday morning children's television programming are for foods high in fat, sodium, or added sugars, or low in nutrientsAmeena Batada
Center for Science in the Public Interest, Washington, DC 20009, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 108:673-8. 2008..The findings can help food and nutrition professionals counsel children about healthful eating and/or develop programs or policies to balance those advertisements with healthful eating messages...
- A randomized treatment study to compare the efficacy of repeated nerve blocks with cognitive therapy for control of chronic head and neck painGeorge Gale
Rothbart Pain Management Clinic, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Pain Res Manag 7:185-9. 2002..Patients who had been receiving nerve blocks proved willing to remain in the study if allocated to the nerve block group and unwilling to remain in the cognitive therapy group while foregoing their accustomed treatment...
- Accuracy and reliability of forensic latent fingerprint decisionsBradford T Ulery
Noblis, 3150 Fairview Park Drive, Falls Church, VA 22042, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:7733-8. 2011..Examiners frequently differed on whether fingerprints were suitable for reaching a conclusion...
- A shift to ambulatory medical education in IsraelKhaled Karkabi
Department of Family Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Technion, Haifa, Israel
Clin Teach 7:126-30. 2010..The objective of this article is to propose an action plan aimed at shifting undergraduate medical education in Israel towards ambulatory education...
- [The ALANAM statement on public health policy]Alejando Goic
ALANAM y la Academia Chilena de Medicina
Rev Med Chil 138:1558-60. 2010..The statement ends by calling on governments to support public health research as a necessary step in tackling with greater efficiency the health problems still prevalent in the region...
- Toxicological assessments of Gulf War veteransMark Brown
US Department of Veterans Affairs Office of Public Health and Environmental Hazards, Washington, DC 20420, USA
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 361:649-79. 2006..Nevertheless, these independent and highly credible scientific reviews have proven to be an effective means for evaluating potential health effects from deployment-related environmental hazards...
- The brain commission of the international association of academies: the first international society of neurosciencesJ Richter
Forschungstelle für Geschichte der Sexualwissenschaft der Magnus Hirschfeld Gesellschaft e V, Berlin, Germany
Brain Res Bull 52:445-57. 2000....
- Carlos Chagas: biographical sketchAlvaro Moncayo
National Academy of Medicine, Carrera 7 No 69 11, Bogota DC, Colombia
Acta Trop 115:1-4. 2010..Carlos Chagas was a laboratory researcher, a clinician and a health administrator. For all these accomplishments he deserves our respect and admiration...
- Dietary fiber: the influence of definition on analysis and regulationJonathan W DeVries
Medallion Laboratories, General Mills, James Ford Bell Technical Center, 9000 Plymouth Ave, North, Minneapolis, MN 55427, USA
J AOAC Int 87:682-706. 2004....
- Developing schools of public health in countries of Eastern Europe and the Commonwealth of Independent StatesTheodore H Tulchinsky
Department of Social Medicine, Hebrew University Hadassah Braun School of Public Health and Community Medicine, P O B 12272, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
Public Health Rev 30:179-200. 2002..The purpose is to provide guidelines for those SPHs under development that are seeking international support and resources...
- The Greatest Generation: The NAS-NRC WWII Twin Registry as a Scientific ResourceMargaret Gatz; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Plasma iNOS IVD Prognosticates Sepsis Prior to Organ Damage and DysfunctionRobert J Webber; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- The 24th Annual Symposium on Career Opportunities in Health Professions from ApriThomas Adams; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Epidemiology of Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome: Identifying Gender Specific Risk FaMICHELLE CLARA BOLING; Fiscal Year: 2011..The results from this investigation may be used to identify those at greatest risk to PFP and develop appropriate prevention programs to decrease the occurrence of this condition, particularly in females. ..
- Fighting with Food: Battling Chemical Toxicity with Good NutritionSUSAN ANN HERSHBERGER; Fiscal Year: 2011....
- Meharry Health Sciences Leadership AcademySUSAN A DERIEMER; Fiscal Year: 2011..Supporting materials, including video profiles of the diverse workforce at Meharry Medical College, will be developed by students and teachers in an annual media workshop. ..
- Advancement of Women in STEMM: A Multi-level Research and Action ProjectMolly L Carnes; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- MBRS-IMSD Program at the University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences CenSONIA CASTRO FLORES; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Fighting with Food: Battling Chemical Toxicity with Good NutritionSUSAN ANN HERSHBERGER; Fiscal Year: 2013..Extensive dissemination will include outreach by participating teachers though community events, continuing availability of the self- guided online course for teachers, and partnerships with media outlets. ..
- Gatekeepers and Gender Schemas.VIRGINIA VICTORIA VALIAN; Fiscal Year: 2012..Third, gatekeepers may make mistakes in evaluating candidates for positions, promotion, awards, and positions of distinction, failing to recruit and retain the best talent. ..
- PROMISE Trial: Substudy to Assess for Effective Dose of RadiationANDREW EINSTEIN; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Short-Term Training: Students in Health Professional SchoolsMichael L Atchison; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our outcomes data indicate that Program graduates are much more likely to pursue further education and graduate studies, and are much less likely to pursue private practice clinical careers. ..
- SUMMER RESEARCH TRAINING OF VETERINARY MEDICAL STUDENTSGregory J Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2011....
- Investing in the Future: Collaborative Research Experiences for Students and TeacRobert H Bonneau; Fiscal Year: 2012..The public will be informed of advances in biomedical and clinical research, including the concern for research ethics and protection of human participants in clinical research. ..
- Post-graduate veterinary training in comparative medicine and biomedical researchSue Vandewoude; Fiscal Year: 2013..Minority recruitment and outcomes assessment will be developed as a component of this award to inform future training and increase opportunities for under-represented individuals. ..
- BRAiN: Building Research Achievement in NeuroscienceElba E Serrano; Fiscal Year: 2011....
- BRAiN: Building Research Achievement in NeuroscienceElba E Serrano; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Stromal activation in the progression of high ErbB2/1433zeta DCIS to IBCDihua Yu; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- SUPPORT DEVELOPMENT OF AN VITRO EXPERIMENTAL SYSTEM CAPABLE OF REPLICATING MAJORDAWN APPLEGATE; Fiscal Year: 2011..Human 3D tissue cultures provide human preclinical prediction and are achieving regulatory acceptance and routine use. ..
- Comparative Medicine Core Facility Infrastructure ImprovementRobert A Rizza; Fiscal Year: 2010..The enhanced infrastructure, systems and processes, and scientific integration will provide high-performance execution that will contribute substantially to the Mayo Clinic Model of Care. ..
- Bridges to BiomedicineRONALD WALTER; Fiscal Year: 2013..The Bridges to Biomedicine program will increase the number of URMs continuing education towards a doctorate and a career in biomedical research. ..
- iBioSketch.com - A Web-Application for Evaluating Biomedical Science Training GraDAWAYNE WHITTINGTON; Fiscal Year: 2011....
- Gaining Options: Girls Investigate Real Life through Health Related STEM DisciplSALLY KAY ROBERTS; Fiscal Year: 2013..Overall Impact. The impact of the proposal lies in the recruitment of under-represented populations, particularly African-Americans and girls, to health related STEM activities;and the promise for future dissemination and scalability. ..
- The Academy for Future Science Faculty_Diversity Through Theory Driven CoachingRichard McGee; Fiscal Year: 2013..Furthermore, it situates the coaching of the Academies within scientific disciplines to enable important opportunities scientific networking. ..
- Transforming STEM Learning in Urban Schools Using the SSMV ModelVirginia L Shepherd; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Integrated Advanced Information Management SystemsSharon Homan; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Epidemiology of Jump-landing Movements and ACL InjuryStephen Marshall; Fiscal Year: 2009..Unlike some of the anatomical and hormonal risk factors discussed in the literature, neuromuscular risk factors are readily modifiable and are amenable to intervention. ..
- HEALTH SCIENCE GUIDES--PHASE IROBERT DE HAAN; Fiscal Year: 2000..HSGs will also provide training and mentoring in health science for the undergraduate science- partners of the Elementary Science Education Partners program. ..
- Minority K-12 Initiative for Teachers and Students (MKITS)ROBERT KAMAN; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Eliciting Truly Informed ConsentWilliam Hendee; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Mechanical Feedback on Cell Structure and SignalingShu Chien; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results generated from these proposed studies will provide insight into the cellular adaptation mechanisms and homeostasis of biological functions in responses to stretch. ..
- Mechanical and Molecular Bases of Endothelial RemodelingShu Chien; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Fetal Growth Restriction & Maternal Cardiovascular RiskRoberta Ness; Fiscal Year: 2009..The presence of risk markers at an early age, specifically an age wherein markers of cardiovascular risk are typically not measured, may allow for implementation of early preventative interventions. ..
- DOUCHING, VAGINAL MICROBIOLOGY, AND PIDRoberta Ness; Fiscal Year: 2003..Given the paucity of information regarding the relationship between douching and reproductive outcomes, the proposed study is imperative in order to direct future public health recommendations. ..
- Molecular Mechanism of Endothelial Migration Under FlowShu Chien; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- TRANSFERRING DRUG ABUSE TREATMENT AND ASSESSMENT RESOURCD Simpson; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- EFFECTIVENESS OF OUTPATIENT TREATMENT OF PIDRoberta Ness; Fiscal Year: 2003..We gain great efficiency in the use of the extensive resources and excellent follow-up success within the PEACH cohort. ..
- HOME SCREENING FOR CHLAMYDIA SURVEILLANCERoberta Ness; Fiscal Year: 2004..This study will determine whether a home screening strategy for bacterial STD's would enhance compliance with screening recommendations; such a strategy could contribute to elimination of STD's at reduced societal cost. ..
- The Role of Phosphatases in EC MechanotransductionShu Chien; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- REDUCED DRUG INTERACTIONS OF AZOLE ANTIFUNGAL DRUGSJoseph Gal; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Imaging & Localizing Device Using the Barkhausen EffectJohn Dicello; Fiscal Year: 2003..Existing reconstruction techniques will be adapted to provide absolute spatial information. With fusion, images can be combined with CT, MRI, or PET for anatomical and physiological information. ..
- Neuronal Apoptosis Induced by DNA DamageItalo Mocchetti; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- A Qualitative Study of Editorial Decision-MakingLisa Bero; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- EFFECTS OF GENE PATENTS ON GENETIC TESTING AND RESEARCHMildred Cho; Fiscal Year: 2002..Our analysis will form inform public policy by indicating whether intellectual property policies or their implementation should be changed to encourage research and technology transfer, and if so, how. ..
- How Does blockade of CD40/CD40L Prevent Autoimmunity?Matthias von Herrath; Fiscal Year: 2005..Therefore, the direct comparison of three autoimmune models will enable us to define, which in vivo consequences of costimulation blockade occur more commonly and which are restricted to a given experimental situation. ..
- BIOCHEMICAL REGULATORS OF BLEOMYCIN INDUCED TUMORSJOHN LAZO; Fiscal Year: 2001..The Specific Aims are to: 1) develop cells and mice deficient in BH, 2) develop cells and mice that overexpress BH, 3) isolate and characterize potential proteins that interact with BH and, 4) analyze the regulation of BH expression. ..
- SUPPORT FOR INSTITUTE FOR LABORATORY ANIMAL RESEARCHJOANNE ZURLO; Fiscal Year: 2008..S., and internationally. ..
- Abdominal Symptom Phenotypes: Pathways to New BiomarkersRobert Shulman; Fiscal Year: 2010..New biomarkers (video capsule endoscopy, lymphocyte activation/cytokine diffuse noxious inhibitory control testing) will be used with newly recruited IBS and control subjects. ..
- Fungal transporters: from resistance to new antifungalsRichard Cannon; Fiscal Year: 2008..This project will increase our understanding of efflux pump structure and function and identify pump inhibitors that could lead to new therapies for patients with opportunistic fungal infections. ..
- CONTROLLED RELEASE OF MACROMOLECULESRobert Langer; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our best performing polymer-DNA formulations, identified in aims one and two, wilt be assayed in vivo in mice for 1) delivery efficiency, 2) specificity and biodistribution, and 3) complement activation and initial safety profile. ..
- mGluR4 Potentiators as a Treatment for Parkinson's DiseaseP Conn; Fiscal Year: 2007..This high throughput screen will provide the basis for future studies aimed at developing allosteric potentiators of mGluR4 that are suitable for clinical testing. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Planning the Stanford Center for Translational MedicineMichael Longaker; Fiscal Year: 2006..This planning phase will form the strong foundation of a successful SoM effort resulting in greatly expanded efforts in the emerging field of Translational Medicine. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- DNA Methylation Markers in Ovarian CancerPETER LAIRD; Fiscal Year: 2006..Finally, we propose to use the most promising biomarkers to evaluate the capacity to detect preclinical relapse of disease, as a function of time before clinical diagnosis of relapse. ..
- Animal Models in Type 1 Diabetes and Multiple SclerosisMatthias von Herrath; Fiscal Year: 2006..Additionally, we expect that this symposium will be of interest to junior faculty working in the areas of autoimmune disease research, as well as patient advocacy groups. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Women's Health Complementary and Alternative TherapiesMargaret Heitkemper; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Management Decisions in Financial Conflicts of InterestLisa Bero; Fiscal Year: 2002..Our findings will allow us to develop a framework for decision-making regarding conflict identification and management. ..
- CXCR3 Chemokines in Type I DiabetesMatthias von Herrath; Fiscal Year: 2009..Aim 1: Importance of IP-10 in the pathogenesis of T1D - therapeutic blockade and mechanistic analyses. Aim 2: Importance of IP-10 during islet allograft rejection - therapeutic blockade and mechanistic analyses. ..
- ACYLCOA FORMATION--COVALENT BINDING, PHARMACOKINETICSLeslie Benet; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- ASIAN AMERICAN NETWORK FOR CANCER AWAREN, RESEARCH & TRGMoon Chen; Fiscal Year: 2004..Thus, AANCART collaborators will share experiences and expertise, reducing duplication and promoting synergy. ..
- Workshop on Science-Based Guidelines for Lab AnimalsJOANNE ZURLO; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..