Genomes and Genes
health planning guidelines
Summary: Recommendations for directing health planning functions and policies. These may be mandated by PL93-641 and issued by the Department of Health and Human Services for use by state and local planning agencies.
Publications310 found, 100 shown here
- American Academy of Nursing Expert Panel report: developing cultural competence to eliminate health disparities in ethnic minorities and other vulnerable populationsJoyce Giger
University of California, Los Angeles, USA
J Transcult Nurs 18:95-102. 2007....
- Grading quality of evidence and strength of recommendations for diagnostic tests and strategiesHolger J Schunemann
Department of Epidemiology, Italian National Cancer Institute Regina Elena, 00144 Rome, Italy
BMJ 336:1106-10. 2008
- Use of evidence in WHO recommendationsAndrew D Oxman
Norwegian Knowledge Centre for the Health Services, PO Box 7004, St Olavs Plass, N 0130 Oslo, Norway
Lancet 369:1883-9. 2007..We examined the use of evidence, particularly evidence of effects, in recommendations developed by WHO departments...
- Neuropsychotherapeutics in the UK: what has been the impact of NICE on prescribing?Tom Walley
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Prescribing Research Group, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, UK
CNS Drugs 18:1-12. 2004..NICE will continue to become increasingly important in determining the use of new drugs within the UK NHS...
- First aid for depression: a Delphi consensus study with consumers, carers and cliniciansRobyn L Langlands
ORYGEN Research Centre, Department of Psychiatry, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
J Affect Disord 105:157-65. 2008..It is unclear how members of the public can best support individuals who are developing a depressive episode before appropriate professional help is received...
- First aid recommendations for psychosis: using the Delphi method to gain consensus between mental health consumers, carers, and cliniciansRobyn L Langlands
ORYGEN Research Centre, Department of Psychiatry, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
Schizophr Bull 34:435-43. 2008..Members of the general public often lack the knowledge and skills to intervene effectively to help someone who may be developing a psychotic illness before appropriate professional help is received...
- Challenges in end-of-life care in the ICU: statement of the 5th International Consensus Conference in Critical Care: Brussels, Belgium, April 2003: executive summaryB Taylor Thompson
Crit Care Med 32:1781-4. 2004....
- The 12 steps to rehab health careMary Watters
Revolution 4:10-7. 2003
- Understanding newborn screening system issues with emphasis on cystic fibrosis screeningBradford L Therrell
National Newborn Screening and Genetics Resource Center, Austin, TX 78757, USA
J Pediatr 147:S6-10. 2005..For effective CF NBS, CF care centers will need to partner with NBS programs to ensure optimal health benefits, and programs will need to continually evaluate diagnostic and outcome data in order to refine their screening protocols...
- Thoughts about the state of the science related to culturally competent care for persons with chronic illness and its relationship to practiceLinda R Phillips
School of Nursing, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Commun Nurs Res 41:47-57. 2008..Personally, I can't wait to see what's going to happen next...
- Improving healthcare and outcomes for high-risk children and teens: formation of the National Consortium for Pediatric and Adolescent Evidence-Based PracticeBernadette Mazurek Melnyk
Arizona State University College of Nursing and Healthcare Innovation, Phoenix 85004, USA
Pediatr Nurs 33:525-9. 2007..Future directions of the consortium also are highlighted...
- Covering America's uninsuredCatherine B Hoffman
Kaiser Commission on Medicaid and the Uninsured, Washington, DC, USA
Am J Nurs 107:75-9. 2007
- Assessment of the implementation of the primary health care package at selected sites in South AfricaJ C Heunis
Centre for Health Systems Research and Development, University of the Free State, Bloemfontein
Curationis 29:37-46. 2006..The findings show that while some facilities were able to offer clients most of the services specified by the package, many others were unable do so. The urban renewal nodes differed noticeably in this respect...
- National practice guidelines for mental health care: a comparative policy analysis of the United kingdom and the United StatesLeigh Ann Simmons
Family Studies Department, University of Kentucky, 305 A Funkhouser Building, Lexington, KY 40506 0054, USA
J Health Soc Policy 19:59-80. 2004..S.) to mental health treatment, specifically examining the effects of the U.K.'s national practice guidelines and the U.S.'s lack of similar guidelines. Recommendations for changes in current U.S. mental health policy are presented...
- Health needs of women with disabilities across the lifespanKaren Piotrowski
Department of Nursing, at D Youville College in Buffalo, NY 14201, USA
J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs 36:79-87. 2007..A variety of measures can be implemented to overcome these barriers and to improve the quality of health care that women with disabilities receive...
- The President's New Freedom Commission: capitalizing on opportunities to advance school-based mental health servicesCarrie Mills
Center for School Mental Health Analysis and Action, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland21201, USA
Clin Child Fam Psychol Rev 9:149-61. 2006....
- Mental health nursing today: a view from the USAAngela Barron McBride
Int J Nurs Stud 44:335-7. 2007
- End-of-life content in Comprehensive Cancer Control Plans: a systematic reviewKristina A Theis
Division of Adult and Community Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30341, USA
Am J Hosp Palliat Care 24:390-8. 2007..The top EOL strategies were research, provider education, and patient/public education. The results establish a baseline of EOL content in CCC Plans and should help improve assistance in future CCC planning efforts...
- The importance and challenge of paying for quality nursing careLynn Y Unruh
Policy Polit Nurs Pract 9:68-72. 2008....
- Systematic review of childhood obesity preventionLinda G Wofford
University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, USA
J Pediatr Nurs 23:5-19. 2008....
- Suitability and readability assessment of educational print resources related to physical activity: implications and recommendations for practiceJeff K Vallance
Centre for Nursing and Health Studies, Athabasca University, Athabasca, AB, Canada
Patient Educ Couns 72:342-9. 2008..The primary objective of this study was to assess the suitability and readability level of publicly available educational print resources related to physical activity (PA)...
- Healthcare epidemiology: the current status of planning for pandemic influenza and implications for health care planning in the United StatesJohn G Bartlett
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Clin Infect Dis 46:919-25. 2008..Finally, international collaborations are essential for disease surveillance and to assure investigator access to influenza strains, equitable vaccine distribution, and availability of critical supplies from offshore sources...
- Quality indicators for critical careKirsten Pyle
Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian, 1 Hoag Dr, PO Box 6100, Newport Beach, CA 92658, USA
AACN Adv Crit Care 18:229-43. 2007
- Cervical cancer: an overview with suggested practice and policy goalsSARAH F WELLS
Women In Government, Washington, DC, USA
Medsurg Nurs 17:43-50; quiz 51. 2008
- Colorectal cancer in African-Americans: addressing the need for further research and research utilizationBarbara Powe
Special Populations Research, Behavioral Research Center, American Cancer Society, USA
J Natl Black Nurses Assoc 16:48-54. 2005..It is crucial that we start to see real and significant decreases in colorectal cancer disparities in African-Americans...
- Black men are dying from prostate cancerClinton A Toles
Prev Med Health Screening, Miramar, FL 33025, USA
ABNF J 19:92-5. 2008..5 times more likely to die of prostate cancer than White men (Peters, 2005). Recent studies suggest genetics, diet, knowledge, and socioeconomic status as contributory factors, however, there appears to be more to it...
- Prostate cancer among African-American males: understanding the current issuesRandy A Jones
Center for the Study of Complementary and Alternative Therapies, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, USA
J Natl Black Nurses Assoc 16:55-62. 2005..This article focuses on current issues related to African-American men and prostate health...
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention revised recommendations for HIV testing: reactions of women attending community health clinicsJoe W Burrage
Indiana University School of Nursing, USA
J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care 19:66-74. 2008..In general, respondents believed that verbal informed consent for testing as well as provision of HIV-related information before and after testing were crucial...
- The World Health Organization European Health in Prisons Project after 10 years: persistent barriers and achievementsAlex Gatherer
World Health Organization, Regional Office for Europe, Scherfigsvej 8, 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Am J Public Health 95:1696-700. 2005..A continuing challenge is how best to move from policy recommendations to implementation, so that the network's fundamental aim of noticeable improvements in the health and care of prisoners is further achieved...
- The American Society of Neurophysiological Monitoring position statements projectDavid E Morledge
Neurostatus, LLC, PMB 239, 5120 W Overland Road, Boise, ID 83705 2680, USA
J Clin Monit Comput 20:43-6. 2006..This paper describes the procedures used in drafting these documents...
- Organizational characteristics of the austere intensive care unit: the evolution of military trauma and critical care medicine; applications for civilian medical care systemsKurt W Grathwohl
Department of Anesthesia and Operative Services, University of Texas Health Sciences Center, San Antonio, TX, USA
Crit Care Med 36:S275-83. 2008..S. military, described in this article, can possibly be adapted to those of civilian care during disaster management to meet the challenges of emergency mass critical care...
- Maternal and newborn care during disasters: thinking outside the hospital paradigmJeanne Pfeiffer
School of Nursing, University of Minnesota, 308 Harvard Street SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Nurs Clin North Am 43:449-67, x. 2008..Lessons learned from international and United States public health emergencies have resulted in a better understanding of the essentials of care and the development of resources to guide planning for these populations...
- The National Response Plan and legal issues in public health emergency preparednessBrian Kamoie
Department of Health Policy, George Washington University School of Public Health and Health Services, USA
Public Health Rep 120:571-3. 2005
- Truck driver hours of service regulations: the collision of policy and public healthKaren Heaton
University of Kentucky College of Nursing, USA
Policy Polit Nurs Pract 6:277-84. 2005..Nurses may benefit from the study of truck driver hours of service regulation as recommendations limiting their own hours of service are being considered and legislated...
- Mutual aid agreements: essential legal tools for public health preparedness and responseDaniel D Stier
Public Health Law Program, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Am J Public Health 97:S62-8. 2007..Mutual aid may also be beneficial in circumstances where EMAC is not activated. We discuss the importance of mutual aid, examine obstacles, and identify legal "gaps" that must be filled to strengthen preparedness...
- Terrorism preparedness: Web-based resource management and the TOPOFF 3 exerciseLenworth M Jacobs
Department of Traumatology and Emergency Medicine, University of Connecticut School of Medicine, and the Trauma Program, Hartford Hospital, Hartford, Connecticut 06102 5037, USA
J Trauma 60:566-71; discussion 571-72. 2006..The State of Connecticut has taken a lead in preparedness and was selected as a site for the US Department of Homeland Security's Top Officials Three Exercise (TOPOFF 3), the largest and most extensive antiterrorism drill ever conducted...
- Issues in Medicaid policy and system transformation: recommendations from the President's CommissionStephen L Day
Technical Assistance Collaborative, 535 Boylston Street, Suite 1301, Boston, MA 02116, USA
Psychiatr Serv 57:1713-8. 2006....
- The White House Commission on Complementary and Alternative Medicine Policy and the future of healthcareJames S Gordon
Georgetown Medical School, Washington, DC, USA
Altern Ther Health Med 10:20-3. 2004
- Social concern: a continuing tradition for nursingPaula Lucey
Lamplighter Consulting, Greenfield, WI, USA
Nurs Econ 25:40-2, 46. 2007
- The importance of evidence-based disaster planningErik Auf der Heide
Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, US Department of Health and Human Services, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Ann Emerg Med 47:34-49. 2006..The current status and limitations of disaster research are discussed, and potential interventions to response problems are offered that may be of help to planners and practitioners and that may serve as hypotheses for future research...
- Arkansas fights fat: translating research into policy to combat childhood and adolescent obesityKevin W Ryan
Health Aff (Millwood) 25:992-1004. 2006..Based on our experience, we present a framework for developing a cross-sector approach to translating science into policy and practice, and we offer this guide to other states facing similar health threats...
- Firearms laws and the reduction of violence: a systematic reviewRobert A Hahn
Epidemiology Program Office, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Am J Prev Med 28:40-71. 2005
- The effectiveness of therapeutic foster care for the prevention of violence: a systematic reviewRobert A Hahn
Epidemiology Program Office, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Am J Prev Med 28:72-90. 2005
- US Preventive Services Task Force: the gold standard of evidence-based preventionDoug Campos-Outcalt
Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of Arizona College of Medicine Phoenix Campus, Phoenix, AZ 85012, USA
J Fam Pract 54:517-9. 2005
- The challenges of interpreting research for use by practitioners: comments on the latest products from the Task Force on Community Preventive ServicesMark W Lipsey
Center for Evaluation Research and Methodology, Vanderbilt Institute for Public Policy Studies, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN 37212, USA
Am J Prev Med 28:1-3. 2005
- [Prostate cancer screening in the general population: the drawbacks are certain but the benefits are hypothetical]Anne Auperin
Service de biostatistique et d épidémiologie, Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif
Presse Med 36:1045-53. 2007..The first results on mortality from 2 large trials of prostate cancer screening, conducted in Europe and in the United States, will not be available before 2008...
- The child's right to participate in research: myth or misconception?Jill E John
School of Health Science, Child Health Team, University of Wales, Swansea
Br J Nurs 16:157-60. 2007....
- From passive subject to active agent: the potential of Citizens' Juries for nursing researchRachel Iredale
School of Care Sciences, University of Glamorgan, Pontypridd, Mid Glamorgan, UK
Nurse Educ Today 27:788-95. 2007..Key findings from two Citizens' Juries on genetics in Wales are offered as case studies...
- Summary of the WHO Collaborating Centre for Neurotrauma Task Force on Mild Traumatic Brain InjuryLena Holm
Department of Epidemiology, Institute of Environmental Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
J Rehabil Med 37:137-41. 2005..The Task Force identified 38,806 citations and 743 relevant studies, of which 313 (42%) were accepted on scientific merit and formed the basis of the best evidence synthesis...
- Type 2 diabetes in children: a growing epidemicTammy F Jones
Eastern Kentucky University, USA
Ky Nurse 55:7-8. 2007
- Inter-association task force recommendations on emergency preparedness and management of sudden cardiac arrest in high school and college athletic programs: a consensus statementJonathan A Drezner
University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98105, USA
Heart Rhythm 4:549-65. 2007..This consensus statement summarizes our current understanding of SCA in young athletes, defines the necessary elements for emergency preparedness, and establishes uniform treatment protocols for the management of SCA...
- Depression and coronary heart disease: recommendations for screening, referral, and treatment: a science advisory from the American Heart Association Prevention Committee of the Council on Cardiovascular Nursing, Council on Clinical Cardiology, Council onJudith H Lichtman
Circulation 118:1768-75. 2008..This multispecialty consensus document reviews the evidence linking depression with CHD and provides recommendations for healthcare providers for the assessment, referral, and treatment of depression...
- Preparedness on the frontline: what's law got to do with it?Maureen Lichtveld
Public Health Practice Program Office, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
J Law Med Ethics 30:184-8. 2002..Law enforcement and state government representatives must understand the legal powers of their agencies and of public health agencies for coordinated response, mitigation, and recovery efforts in a public health emergency event...
- What is public health legal preparedness?Anthony D Moulton
Illinois Department of Public Health, USA
J Law Med Ethics 31:672-83. 2003..S. public health system, in sum, a framework responsive to the exigencies of our times, faithful to the guiding principles of American federalism, and conductive to a new standard of health protection for all our citizens...
- Update on preparing for the next influenza pandemicCarol J Weber
Regis University, Department of Nursing, Denver, CO, USA
Dermatol Nurs 18:362-6. 2006..The success of these actions will depend on the preparations made in advance by each member of the international community...
- Public health law and disaster medicine: understanding the legal environmentThomas A Gionis
Aristotle University College of Law, USA
Am J Disaster Med 2:64-73. 2007....
- Evidence-based medicine breaking the borders--a working model for the European Union to facilitate evidence-based health careGerald Gartlehner
Cecil G Sheps Center for Health Services Research, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7590, USA
Wien Med Wochenschr 154:127-32. 2004..The establishment of databases in native languages could also break down one of the main barriers existing between care providers and evidence-based medicine while adhering to the overall concepts of eHealth 2005...
- Laying down the knife may decrease risk of HIV transmission: cultural practices in Cameroon with implications for public health and policyAbraham Ndiwane
Graduate School of Nursing, University of Massachusetts Worcester, 55 Lake Avenue North, Worcester, MA 01655, USA
J Cult Divers 15:76-80. 2008..As more people emigrate to the U.S. from sub-Saharan countries where such cultural practices (including female circumcision) are endemic, health care providers need to identify and follow up potential health problems of these immigrants...
- Make each patient countJudith A Berry
Brigham Young University College of Nursing
Nurse Pract 33:42-7. 2008..Overcoming barriers to clinical preventive services...
- Sharps injuries and bloodborne pathogen exposures in home health careStephanie M Chalupka
Department of Nursing, School of Health and Environment, University of Massachusetts Lowell, USA
AAOHN J 56:15-29; quiz 31-2. 2008....
- Strategies to improve external cause-of-injury coding in state-based hospital discharge and emergency department data systems: recommendations of the CDC Workgroup for Improvement of External Cause-of-Injury CodingJoseph L Annest
MMWR Recomm Rep 57:1-15. 2008....
- Recommended newborn screening policy change for the NICU infantKatherine G Balk
Johns Hopkins University, USA
Policy Polit Nurs Pract 8:210-9. 2007....
- Capturing the imagination of nurse executives in tracking the quality of nursing careEllen T Kurtzman
Department of Nursing Education, School of Medicine and Health Sciences, George Washington University, Washington, DC 20037, USA
Nurs Adm Q 32:235-46. 2008..In this article, findings from the study are summarized as they apply to nursing leadership and implications for the future role of the nurse executive...
- Preventing 3 million premature deaths and helping 5 million smokers quit: a national action plan for tobacco cessationMichael C Fiore
Center for Tobacco Research and Intervention, University of Wisconsin Medical School, Madison, 53711, USA
Am J Public Health 94:205-10. 2004..The subcommittee report was presented to the ICSH (February 11, 2003), which unanimously endorsed sending it to Secretary Thompson for his consideration. In this article, we summarize the national action plan...
- Ethical attitudes of nurse, physician, and unaffiliated members of institutional review boardsWilliam G Rothstein
Department of Sociology and Anthropology, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, Baltimore, MD 21250, USA
J Nurs Scholarsh 39:75-81. 2007..To evaluate the recommendation for adding unaffiliated members to institutional review boards (IRB) by comparing the attitudes and influence of IRB members of different backgrounds, primarily nurses, physicians, and unaffiliated members...
- Hospitals and philanthropy as partners in funding nursing educationTim M Henderson
Center for Health Policy, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA, USA
Nurs Econ 25:95-100, 109, 55. 2007..Together they promote and require new entrepreneurial skills, innovative educational strategies, and greater accountability in meeting area workforce needs...
- Carrier screening for thalassemia and hemoglobinopathies in CanadaSylvie Langlois
J Obstet Gynaecol Can 30:950-71. 2008..g., sickle cell anemia and other qualitative hemoglobin disorders)...
- OARSI recommendations for the management of hip and knee osteoarthritis, Part II: OARSI evidence-based, expert consensus guidelinesW Zhang
University of Edinburgh, Osteoarticular Research Group, The Queen s Medical Research Institute, 47 Little France Crescent, Edinburgh EH16 4TJ, United Kingdom
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 16:137-62. 2008....
- Use of combination measles, mumps, rubella, and varicella vaccine: recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP)Mona Marin
Division of Viral Diseases, National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, CDC, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
MMWR Recomm Rep 59:1-12. 2010..cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/provisional/downloads/combo-vax-Aug2009-508.pdf), which state that use of a combination vaccine generally is preferred over its equivalent component vaccines...
- Ultrasound in twin pregnanciesLucie Morin
J Obstet Gynaecol Can 33:643-56. 2011..I-E) 12. For defining oligohydramnios and polyhydramnios, the ultrasonographer should use the deepest vertical pocket in either sac: oligohydramnios when < 2 cm and polyhydramnios when > 8 cm. (II-2B)...
- Substance use in pregnancySuzanne Wong
J Obstet Gynaecol Can 33:367-84. 2011..III-B) 11. The risks and benefits of breastfeeding should be weighed on an individual basis because methadone maintenance therapy is not a contraindication to breastfeeding. (II-3B)...
- Clinical practice guideline: Otitis media with effusionRichard M Rosenfeld
SUNY HSC Brooklyn, Department of Pediatric Otolaryngology, NY 11201, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 130:S95-118. 2004..It is not intended to replace clinical judgment or establish a protocol for all children with this condition, and may not provide the only appropriate approach to diagnosing and managing this problem...
- Exploration of physicians' recommendations for activities in chronic low back painJ Rainville
Spine Center at New England Baptist Bone and Joint Institute, Boston, MA 02120, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 25:2210-20. 2000..These recommendations reflect personal attitudes of the physicians as well as factors related to the patients' clinical symptoms...
- Significance of dietotherapy on the clinical course of atopic dermatitisRūta Rokaite
Department of Children Diseases, Kaunas University of Medicine, Eiveniu 2, 50009 Kaunas, Lithuania
Medicina (Kaunas) 45:95-103. 2009....
- American Society of Clinical Oncology provisional clinical opinion: chronic hepatitis B virus infection screening in patients receiving cytotoxic chemotherapy for treatment of malignant diseasesAndrew S Artz
University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
J Clin Oncol 28:3199-202. 2010..This PCO addresses recommendations for chronic hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection screening in patients receiving cytotoxic or immunosuppressive chemotherapy for treatment of malignant diseases...
- New recommendations from the 1999 American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association acute myocardial infarction guidelinesS A Spinler
Department of Pharmacy Practice and Pharmacy Administration, Philadelphia College of Pharmacy, University of the Sciences in Philadelphia, PA, USA
Ann Pharmacother 35:589-617. 2001..To review literature relating to significant changes in drug therapy recommendations in the 1999 American College of Cardiology (ACC)/American Heart Association (AHA) guidelines for treating patients with acute myocardial infarction (AMI)...
- Antibiotic therapy in preterm premature rupture of the membranesMark H Yudin
J Obstet Gynaecol Can 31:863-7, 868-74. 2009..To review the evidence and provide recommendations on the use of antibiotics in preterm premature rupture of the membranes (PPROM)...
- [Recommendations for early identification of damage to the skeleton by malignant processes, and for early diagnosis of multiple myeloma]Z Adam
Interní hematoonkologická klinika Lékarské fakulty MU a FN Brno
Vnitr Lek 52:9, 11-31. 2006..If any of tests indicate the possibility of myeloma, patient require urgent specialist referral to department with possibility to make diagnosis of malignant myeloma...
- Venous thromboembolism, thrombophilia, antithrombotic therapy, and pregnancy: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines (8th Edition)Shannon M Bates
Department of Medicine, McMaster University and Henderson Research Centre, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Chest 133:844S-886S. 2008....
- Pharmacist response to alerts generated from Medicaid pharmacy claims in a long-term care setting: results from the North Carolina polypharmacy initiativeTroy K Trygstad
AccessCare, Inc, Morrisville, North Carolina, USA
J Manag Care Pharm 11:575-83. 2005..Our objectives were to determine (1) the persistence of PDTP alerts following interventions by consultant pharmacists and (2) the impact of these interventions on patient drug costs from a payer perspective...
- Clinical practice guideline: acute otitis externaRichard M Rosenfeld
Department of Otolaryngology, SUNY Downstate Medical Center and Long Island College Hospital
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 134:S4-23. 2006..The primary purpose is to promote appropriate use of oral and topical antimicrobials and to highlight the need for adequate pain relief...
- Compliance with platelet count monitoring recommendations and management of possible heparin-induced thrombocytopenia in hospitalized patients receiving low-molecular-weight heparinMaarten J Ten Berg
Department of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacotherapy, Utrecht Institute for Pharmaceutical Sciences, Utrecht University, Netherlands
Ann Pharmacother 43:1405-12. 2009..Testing for the presence of heparin-platelet factor 4 antibodies (HPF4-Ab) and starting alternative anticoagulation is recommended when HIT is suspected...
- Effect of training on adoption of cancer prevention nutrition-related activities by primary care practices: results of a randomized, controlled studyC Tziraki
Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD, USA
J Gen Intern Med 15:155-62. 2000..The overall low adherence scores to nutrition-related activities demonstrates that there is plenty of room for improvement among the practices in the training group...
- OARSI recommendations for the management of hip and knee osteoarthritis, part I: critical appraisal of existing treatment guidelines and systematic review of current research evidenceW Zhang
University of Edinburgh, Osteoarticular Research Group, The Queen s Medical Research Institute, 47 Little France Crescent, Edinburgh EH16 4TJ, United Kingdom
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 15:981-1000. 2007....
- Surviving Sepsis Campaign: international guidelines for management of severe sepsis and septic shock: 2008R Phillip Dellinger
Cooper University Hospital, Camden, NJ, USA
Crit Care Med 36:296-327. 2008..To provide an update to the original Surviving Sepsis Campaign clinical management guidelines, "Surviving Sepsis Campaign Guidelines for Management of Severe Sepsis and Septic Shock," published in 2004...
- Human rabies prevention--United States, 2008: recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization PracticesSusan E Manning
Preventive Medicine Residency, Office of Workforce and Career Development, CDC, USA
MMWR Recomm Rep 57:1-28. 2008....
- Surviving Sepsis Campaign: international guidelines for management of severe sepsis and septic shock: 2008R Phillip Dellinger
Cooper University Hospital, One Cooper Plaza, 393 Dorrance, Camden 08103, NJ, USA
Intensive Care Med 34:17-60. 2008..To provide an update to the original Surviving Sepsis Campaign clinical management guidelines, "Surviving Sepsis Campaign guidelines for management of severe sepsis and septic shock," published in 2004...
- Variation in clinician recommendations for multiple injections during adoption of inactivated polio vaccineT A Lieu
Division of Research and the Vaccine Study Center, Kaiser Permanente, Oakland, California, USA
Pediatrics 107:E49. 2001....
- Policy versus practice: comparison of prescribing therapy and durable medical equipment in medical and educational settingsRaphael C Sneed
Children s Rehabilitation Services, Department of Pediatrics, University of Mississippi Medical Center, 2500 North State St, Jackson, MS 39216 4505, USA
Pediatrics 114:e612-25. 2004..Through this survey, we attempted to quantify objectively how pediatricians direct and coordinate therapy and DME for CSHCN and how these efforts correlate with AAP recommendations...
- [The German guideline clearing-project on bronchial asthma-part 1: Methodology and results of formal appraisal]H Thole
Ärztliches Zentrum für Qualität in der Medizin, Cologne
Pneumologie 57:459-67. 2003..Part 1 of this article shows the methodology and the results of the appraisal, part 2 (to be published) shows the key topics which should be dealt with in a german guideline on bronchial asthma...
- [Diagnosis and treatment of BCR/ABL-negative myeloproliferative diseases--principles and rationale of CZEMP recommendations]J Schwarz
Klinický úsek Ustavu hematologie a krevní transfuze Praha
Vnitr Lek 57:189-213. 2011....
- Clinical practice guideline: adult sinusitisRichard M Rosenfeld
Department of Otolaryngology, SUNY Downstate Medical Center and Long Island College Hospital, Brooklyn, NY 11201 5514, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 137:S1-31. 2007..This guideline is intended for all clinicians who are likely to diagnose and manage adults with sinusitis...
- Obesity in pregnancyGregory A L Davies
J Obstet Gynaecol Can 32:165-73. 2010..To review the evidence and provide recommendations for the counselling and management of obese parturients...
- Guidelines for prevention and treatment of opportunistic infections in HIV-infected adults and adolescents: recommendations from CDC, the National Institutes of Health, and the HIV Medicine Association of the Infectious Diseases Society of AmericaJonathan E Kaplan
CDC, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
MMWR Recomm Rep 58:1-207; quiz CE1-4. 2009....
- Japanese encephalitis vaccines: recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP)Marc Fischer
Division of Vector Borne Infectious Diseases, National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases, CDC, Fort Collins, CO 80521, USA
MMWR Recomm Rep 59:1-27. 2010..JE-MB is the only JE vaccine available for use in children aged 1-16 years, and remaining supplies will be reserved for use in this group...
- Developing evidence-based clinical practice guidelines in hospitals in Australia, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines and Thailand: values, requirements and barriersTari J Turner
Monash Institute of Health Services Research, Monash University, Monash Medical Centre, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
BMC Health Serv Res 9:235. 2009..The research aimed to identify the value clinicians place on guidelines, what clinicians want in guidelines developed in hospital settings and what factors limit rigorous evidence-based guideline development in these settings...
- How close do gastroenterologists follow specific guidelines for nutrition recommendations in liver cirrhosis? A survey of current practiceFelix Gundling
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Gastrointestinal Oncology, Bogenhausen Academic Teaching Hospital, Technical University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 21:756-61. 2009..Therefore, it was the aim of this study to evaluate the current dietary recommendations for patients with LC, recommended by gastroenterologists in Germany...
- Tricyclic antidepressant poisoning: an evidence-based consensus guideline for out-of-hospital managementAlan D Woolf
American Association of Poison Control Centers, Washington, District of Columbia, USA
Clin Toxicol (Phila) 45:203-33. 2007..12) For TCA-associated convulsions, benzodiazepines are recommended (Grade D). 13) Flumazenil is not recommended for patients with TCA poisoning (Grade D)...
- BSAC standardized disc susceptibility testing method (version 8)J M Andrews
Department of Microbiology, Sandwell and West Birmingham NHS Trust, City Hospital, Birmingham B18 7QH, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 64:454-89. 2009..Appendix 3); the acceptable range for ATCC 25923 to a 10 microg tobramycin disc (Table 26)...
- Implementation of universal influenza immunization recommendations for healthy young children: results of a randomized, controlled trial with registry-based recallAllison Kempe
Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado, USA
Pediatrics 115:146-54. 2005..We collaborated with 5 pediatric practices to attempt universal influenza immunization in this age group...
- Guideline for Prevention of Surgical Site Infection, 1999. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Hospital Infection Control Practices Advisory CommitteeA J Mangram
Hospital Infections Program, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Public Health Service, US Department of Health and Human Services, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Am J Infect Control 27:97-132; quiz 133-4; discussion 96. 1999..g., laparoscopic cholecystectomy). Recommend specific antiseptic agents for patient preoperative skin preparations or for healthcare worker hand/forearm antisepsis. Hospitals should choose from products recommended for these activitie..
- SUPPORT CONTRACT FOR THE NTP INTERAGENCY CENTER/VALIDATION OF ALT METHODSDavid Allen; Fiscal Year: 2011..The Panel recommended that studies should be conducted to further characterize the in vitro test methods and that testing strategies should be designed in coordination with ICCVAM. ..
- SUPPORT CONTRACT FOR THE NTP INTERAGENCY CENTER/VALIDATION OF ALT METHODSDavid Allen; Fiscal Year: 2012..The Panel recommended that studies should be conducted to further characterize the in vitro test methods and that testing strategies should be designed in coordination with ICCVAM. ..
- Effective treatment of sleep apnea in prediabetes to reduce cardiometabolic riskEsra Tasali; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results of this research may provide a better understanding of ways to prevent and/or treat diabetes and its cardiovascular complications for millions of Americans. ..
- Behavioral Activation Therapy for Rural Veterans with Diabetes and DepressionAanand Dinkar Naik; Fiscal Year: 2013..As therapists are all advanced psychology graduate students, it is unclear whether individuals without such previous training can implement the intervention. This may hamper implementation efforts. ..
- SUPPORT CONTRACT FOR THE NTP INTERAGENCY CENTER/VALIDATION OF ALT METHODSDavid Allen; Fiscal Year: 2009..NICEATM and ICCVAM will also evaluate non-animal methods and approaches for determining the skin irritation potential of antimicrobial cleaning products...
- Trichothecene Toxicity and the Ribotoxic Stress ResponseJames J Pestka; Fiscal Year: 2012..Collectively, these outcomes will positively impact public health by providing a scientific basis for generating sound recommendations relative to these important toxins and appropriate remedial actions should exposures occur. ..
- Hepcidin-based screening for infantile iron deficiencyMark D Fleming; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Community Participation Research of Breastfeeding Disparities in African AmericanTamar Ringel Kulka; Fiscal Year: 2009..E.S.T (Breastfeeding, Education &Support Team) Alliance for Babies} and propose to conduct community participation research of breastfeeding disparities in African American women in Durham County, North Carolina. ..
- REGULATION OF GENE EXPRESSION BY DIETARY FATLisa M Salati; Fiscal Year: 2012..This project will provide important new data on the ways in which dietary fat can regulate intracellular metabolism. ..
- THE ETHICS OF POST-CONFLICT AND POST-DISASTER DNA IDENTIFICATIONSarah Wagner; Fiscal Year: 2013..This research will identify and analyze these issues and challenges, and inform the development of concrete policy recommendations by relevant stakeholders. ..
- Clinical , Mechanical and Chemical Evaluation of Amalgam and ART RestorationsLilliam Marie Pinzon; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Predicting Bilirubin-induced Auditory Toxicity in Infants with Severe JaundiceSanjiv B Amin; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Calcium Metabolism and the SkeletonANNE LOUISE SCHAFER; Fiscal Year: 2013..Dr. Schafer is committed to improving the health care of veterans through clinical research, and the CDA-2 is critical for the attainment of her career objectives. ..
- Genetic Susceptibility and Biomarkers of Platinum-related ToxicitiesLois B Travis; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our results will eventually permit identification of patients at high risk for long-term toxicity, and the development of preventive and interventional strategies. 1 ..
- Moffitt Skin Cancer SPOREJeffrey S Weber; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Beta 2-Microglobulin signaling and targeting in bone metastasisLeland W K Chung; Fiscal Year: 2013..This project focuses on defining the molecular mechanism of this synergism and the appropriate preclinical studies to move these discoveries from bench to the bedside. ..
- Maternal One Carbon Metabolism and Low Birth Weight InfantSatish C Kalhan; Fiscal Year: 2013..There are major public health and economic implications for this study, when one considers the enormous magnitude of the LBW, the associated clinical problems and the economic burden to the society. ..
- Diet Quality and CVD Risk Factors in a Family Based Weight Management StudyAlice H Lichtenstein; Fiscal Year: 2013..S., a public health problem that threatens to overwhelm our healthcare system. (End of Abstract) ..
- Robot-Assisted MRI-Guided Prostate BiopsyDan Stoianovici; Fiscal Year: 2010..Unlike current biopsy technology that targets regions of the gland, the MRI-guided instrument will assist the physician target lesions of image abnormality. ..
- Predictors of Dietary Quality in Low-Income Pregnant WomenEileen R Fowles; Fiscal Year: 2010..More effective targeted strategies initiated within this narrow window of time may reduce the number of low birth weight infants and improve obstetrical outcomes. ..
- Hyperglycemia and Pregnancy Outcome(HAPO)Follow Up StudyBoyd E Metzger; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Graves'Disease Therapy Risks to Mother and FetusScott A Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2013..When completed, we anticipate that these studies will provide needed epidemiology and basic-teratology data about the relative risks of PTU, MMI, and hyperthyroidism to mother and fetus. ..
- Maternal-fetal vitamin D status and child adiposity, insulin resistance and BPSusanna Y Huh; Fiscal Year: 2010..In turn, such initiatives could substantially reduce the rates of obesity and related metabolic conditions in future generations. ..
- VITamin D and OmegA-3 TriaL: Effects on Bone Structure and ArchitectureMERYL SUSAN LEBOFF; Fiscal Year: 2013..Findings from this proposal will fill gaps in knowledge and inform clinical and public health recommendations. ..
- NAFLD in T2DM: Prevalence in Hispanics and Role of TreatmentKenneth Cusi; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- NEWBORN IRON DEFICIENCYMichael K Georgieff; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- STRAW+10: Addressing the Unfinished Agenda of Staging Reproductive Aging - RESUBMSioban D Harlow; Fiscal Year: 2011..We also propose to extend the STRAW recommendations to be more broadly applicable to the range of women's diverse experience of reproductive aging. ..
- Classical and non-classical responses to vitamin D in children: the role of DBP gThomas O Carpenter; Fiscal Year: 2010..Moreover, the data are likely to serve the larger pediatric population as well. ..
- Resolving the role of nicotine-mediated phosphorylation on pancreatic fibrosisJoao A Paulo; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Quantitation of Tocopherol Metabolism in HumansANDREW JOSEPH CLIFFORD; Fiscal Year: 2010..Particular attention will be directed to the absorption phase. The results are expected to provide information about vitamin E biopotency and eventually improved Dietary Recommendations. ..
- Exercise, Breast Cancer Prevention, and MechanismsHenry J Thompson; Fiscal Year: 2013..The data obtained has the potential to facilitate the translation of pre-clinical and clinical research to public health guidelines for PA directed to cancer prevention and control. ..
- Development of a Univalent Vaccine Against Group B Streptococci InfectionStephen K Hunter; Fiscal Year: 2010..Such a vaccine would prevent the over use of antibiotics and prevent possible serious or even fatal complications to the mother and child. ..
- MT VET COBRE II CORE A: ADMINISTRATIVE COREMark T Quinn; Fiscal Year: 2011..Thus, this network also facilitates rapid and seamless communication between investigators and Mentors, including those at UM and the Rocky Mountain Laboratories...
- Developing a prediction model for vincristine-induced peripheral neuropathyJamie L Renbarger; Fiscal Year: 2010..Once the correlation between genetics and vincristine neurotoxicity fully elucidated, it will be possible to individualize vincristine dosing using genetic information to optimize therapeutic efficacy while minimizing toxicity. ..
- Timing of Exposure to Selenium and Isoflavones and Prostate Cancer PreventionEDWIN DOUGLAS LEPHART; Fiscal Year: 2010..According to the NIH report "the effect of food constituents on molecular events in the prostate is unknown". Discovery of Se- and isoflavone-regulated genes will "identify biomarkers of the consumption of key dietary components". ..
- Nanodiagnostics and Nanotherapeutics: Building Research Ethics and OversightSusan M Wolf; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Gender Selectivity to Colon Cancer Chemoprevention by NSAIDSRAMESH K contact WALI; Fiscal Year: 2010..These findings will have an important bearing on the healthcare recommendations for colon cancer chemoprevention which have to be cognizant of this gender selective efficacy for maximum cost-benefit potential of NSAIDS. ..
- Coping Skills Training in Heart Failure: Outcomes and MechanismsAndrew Sherwood; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- A simple dietary message to improve dietary quality for metabolic syndromeYunsheng Ma; Fiscal Year: 2012..We hypothesize that a message promoting high fiber intake may be the simple message that has potential to produce broad impact. ..
- Self-Determination Theory and Lifestyle Behaviors in Barrett's Esophagus PatientsHODA J BADR; Fiscal Year: 2010..Thus, the proposed project involves a relatively small investment that could yield great progress in understanding the health promotion needs of this understudied population. ..
- Functional Consequence of Macrolide Resistance Mutations in T. pallidumSheila A Lukehart; Fiscal Year: 2012..If these mutations are found to be common and are shown to cause treatment failure, physicians will be advised not to use azithromycin for treating patients with syphilis. ..
- Advanced Center for Latino and MH Systems ResearchMargarita Alegria; Fiscal Year: 2009..By the end of this pilot, we will have a sustainable group of advisors who will work together in the future implementation of the quality improvements identified through this pilot work. Center Core: ..
- The Intestinal Microbiome in Pediatric NAFLDNita H Salzman; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Genome-wide Association Study: Fetal Hemoglobin Phenotypes in Sickle Cell DiseaseBetty Pace; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Evaluating Economic Subsidies To Improve Dietary Intake Among Low Income FamiliesMarian L Fitzgibbon; Fiscal Year: 2010..If the planned economic incentives produce improved dietary intake and altered weight gain trajectory among these high-risk children, this could have profound implications for heath disparities in this population. ..
- Omega-3 fat to reduce risk for breast cancerWANDA ELAINE HARDMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- A twin study of ovarian hormones and disordered eatingKelly L Klump; Fiscal Year: 2012..Greater insight into neurobiological mechanisms will narrow the search for candidate genes and contribute to improved treatment and prevention of these disorders. ..
- Development of novel therapies for aging-induced skeletal muscle atrophy.SCOTT MATTHEW EBERT; Fiscal Year: 2013..Initial clinical studies will be geared towards FDA approval for the prevention and treatment of skeletal muscle atrophy in the elderly. ..
- Fanconi Anemia as a Model for Susceptibility to Human Papillomavirus InfectionMELINDA SUE BUTSCHKOVACIC; Fiscal Year: 2013..Importantly, our study will positively impact child health now by providing evidence for recommendations for HPV vaccination in individuals with FA. ..
- A Novel Approach to Phosphorus Lowering in Patients with Chronic Kidney DiseaseJoachim H Ix; Fiscal Year: 2013..If effective and well tolerated, this study will rapidly alter the standard of care by introducing icotinamide for Pi lowering in CKD stage 3-4. ..
- Randomized Trial of Antenatal Late Preterm Steroids (ALPS) - Clinical CoordinatinRonald Wapner; Fiscal Year: 2012..If shown to reduce the need for respiratory support and thus to decrease the rate of special care nursery admissions and improve short-term outcomes, the public health and economic impact will be considerable. ..
- ACCORDFaramarz Ismail Beigi; Fiscal Year: 2010..This substudy is designed to evaluate the effects of these medical treatments on diabetic retinopathy within the ACCORD Trial. ..
- ACCORDRichard Grimm; Fiscal Year: 2010..This substudy is designed to evaluate the effects of these medical treatments on diabetic retinopathy within the ACCORD Trial. ..
- Transplant Associated Infection Surveillance Network Phase IIPETER GEORGE PAPPAS; Fiscal Year: 2012..This consortium is very well positioned to accomplish the goals set forth in this announcement. ..
- Population-Based Reference Ranges for Estradiol and Estrone in MenVASAN S RAMACHANDRAN; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Clinical Decision Support for Mild Traumatic Brain InjuryEDWARD ROBERT MELNICK; Fiscal Year: 2013..The tool will include special provisions for shared decision- making with the elderly, another AHRQ priority population. ..
- Pregnancy Folate Status &Early Childhood Respiratory &Atopic Disease OutcomesKECIA NICOLE CARROLL; Fiscal Year: 2013..This study has potential to inform prenatal recommendations and identify modifiable risk factors for asthma and atopy. ..
- Comprehensive Clinical Decision Support for the Primary Care of Premature InfantsRobert W Grundmeier; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Emerging Helminthiases in China: Genetic Diversity,Zheng Feng; Fiscal Year: 2006..Specific point-by-point responses to the Study Section comments and recommendations are detailed at the beginning of the three relevant project applications (projects 4, 5, and 7). ..
- Best Practices in Mental Health Research Ethics Conference SeriesJames M DuBois; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed conference series will review empirical studies that address the ethical aspects of mental health research to identify best practices and areas requiring further investigation. ..
- Patient Awareness and Consumer Education Research Cente*Maria E Suarez Almazor; Fiscal Year: 2010..Publications 2. Research Grants 3. Conceptual Framework &DemonstrationProjects 4. VisionTree Software PHS 398 (Rev. 09/04) Page 4 Form Page 3 ..
- CD07-005, Translating Research into the Jade Ribbon CampaignSamuel So; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Determinants of Participation in an Anal Cancer Prevention TrialJoel Palefsky; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Antithrombotic Therapy and Prevention of Thrombosis: ACCP Evidence-Based ClinicalSandra Zelman Lewis; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Patient Safety &Quality Symposium to Address the Unmet Needs in Teaching PhysiciSHARI DOGBO; Fiscal Year: 2011....
- Nutrition Program-Caribbean Hispanic elders & diabetesODILIA BERMUDEZ; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Xylitol Adult Caries Trial (X-ACT): UAB Clinical CenterGregg H Gilbert; Fiscal Year: 2010..Little research has been done on methods to prevent tooth decay in adults. This study would test how well a lozenge to be taken several times a day works to prevent tooth decay in adults who are prone to tooth decay. ..
- TESTING A DECISION AID FOR THE MANAGEMENT OF INJURIESJohn Clarke; Fiscal Year: 1993....
- Responsible Retailing Program for Alcohol RetailersBrad Krevor; Fiscal Year: 2009..This project will enable the Responsible Retailing Forum to provide assistance to these alcohol beverage licensees in reducing underage sales of alcohol products and over-service of alcohol to intoxicated customers. ..
- Xylitol Adult Caries Trial (X-ACT)--UNC Clinical CenterDaniel A Shugars; Fiscal Year: 2010..Little research has been done on methods to prevent tooth decay in adults. This study would test how well a lozenge to be taken several times a day works to prevent tooth decay in adults who are prone to tooth decay. ..
- Xylitol Adult Caries Trial (X-ACT) UTHSC San Antonio Clinical CenterBennett Tochukwu Amaechi; Fiscal Year: 2010..Little research has been done on methods to prevent tooth decay in adults. This study would test how well a lozenge to be taken several times a day works to prevent tooth decay in adults who are prone to tooth decay. ..
- COMPUTER ASSISTED GUIDELINES FOR ADMISSION TESTINGRANDALL CEBUL; Fiscal Year: 1991..The ultimate goal of this project is to examine this question and to rigorously test a promising approach to implementing the guidelines of experts...
- A Collaborative, Intersectional Approach to Health Disparities in PregnancyTina Bloom; Fiscal Year: 2007..It will also bring needed health and resource information back to other women, for healthier mothers and babies in the future. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..