Genomes and Genes
Summary: The rights of individuals to act and make decisions without external constraints.
Publications246 found, 100 shown here
- Prosocial benefits of feeling free: disbelief in free will increases aggression and reduces helpfulnessRoy F Baumeister
Department of Psychology, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306, USA
Pers Soc Psychol Bull 35:260-8. 2009..Although the findings do not speak to the existence of free will, the current results suggest that disbelief in free will reduces helping and increases aggression...
- The CAD triad hypothesis: a mapping between three moral emotions (contempt, anger, disgust) and three moral codes (community, autonomy, divinity)P Rozin
Department of Psychology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 19104 6196, USA
J Pers Soc Psychol 76:574-86. 1999..Results generally supported the CAD triad hypothesis. Results were further confirmed by analysis of facial expressions actually made by Americans to the descriptions of these situations...
- The impact of freedom on fertility declineMartha M Campbell
School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720 7360, USA
J Fam Plann Reprod Health Care 39:44-50. 2013..Education and wealth can make the adoption of family planning easier, but they are not prerequisites for fertility decline. By contrast, access to family planning itself can accelerate economic development and the spread of education...
- Reactance versus rationalization: divergent responses to policies that constrain freedomKristin Laurin
University of Waterloo
Psychol Sci 23:205-9. 2012..We end by discussing future research directions...
- Psychological trauma symptom improvement in veterans using emotional freedom techniques: a randomized controlled trialDawson Church
Foundation for Epigenetic Medicine, Santa Rosa, CA, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 201:153-60. 2013This study examined the effect of Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT), a brief exposure therapy combining cognitive and somatic elements, on posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and psychological distress symptoms in veterans receiving ..
- On creative machines and the physical origins of freedomHans J Briegel
Institut fur Theoretische Physik, Universitat Innsbruck, Technikerstrasse 25, A 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Sci Rep 2:522. 2012..We relate the discussion to a model of an artificial agent that exhibits a primitive notion of creativity and freedom in dealing with its environment, which is part of a recently introduced scheme of information processing called ..
- Existential concerns of families of late-stage dementia patients: questions of freedom, choices, isolation, death, and meaningLars Albinsson
Department of Public Health and Caring Science, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
J Palliat Med 6:225-35. 2003..The aim of this study was, therefore, to focus on issues of freedom/responsibility, existential isolation, death, and issues of meaning/meaninglessness.
- Academic freedom in clinical researchDavid G Nathan
Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
N Engl J Med 347:1368-71. 2002
- The power gap: freedom, power and mental illnessBrendan D Kelly
Department of Adult Psychiatry, University College Dublin, Mater Misericordiae University Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Soc Sci Med 63:2118-28. 2006..Here I examine the idea that this situation is attributable, at least in part, to the ways in which the freedom and power of the mentally ill are undermined by a range of factors, including: (i) dispersion of political power ..
- Protectionism and freedom of contract: the erosion of female autonomy in surrogacy decisionsJessica H Munyon
Suffolk Univ Law Rev 36:717-44. 2003
- Lessons from operation Iraqi freedom: successful subacute reconstruction of complex lower extremity battle injuriesAnand R Kumar
Department of Surgery, Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of California, Los Angeles, California, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 123:218-29. 2009War wounds associated with Operation Iraqi Freedom have created a unique reconstructive challenge...
- Prescribing cannabis: freedom, autonomy, and valuesM Hayry
Centre for Professional Ethics, University of Central Lancashire, UK
J Med Ethics 30:333-6. 2004..In this paper, it is argued that freedom, properly understood, provides a sound ethical reason to allow the use of cannabis in medicine...
- Physician performance information and consumer choice: a survey of subjects with the freedom to choose between doctorsS H Cheng
Institute of Health Policy and Management and Center for Health Policy Research, College of Public Health, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
Qual Saf Health Care 13:98-101. 2004..Increasing efforts have been made to provide information to help consumers to select a healthcare provider, but the public release of hospital performance data has had only a limited impact on consumer choice...
- Self-determination. The tyranny of freedomB Schwartz
Department of Psychology, Swarthmore College, 500 College Avenue, Swarthmore, PA 19081, USA
Am Psychol 55:79-88. 2000Americans now live in a time and a place in which freedom and autonomy are valued above all else and in which expanded opportunities for self-determination are regarded as a sign of the psychological well-being of individuals and the ..
- Freedom and responsibility in genetic testingBaruch A Brody
Rice University and Baylor College of Medicine, USA
Soc Philos Policy 19:343-59. 2002
- Institutions, contracts, and academic freedomJeffrey M Drazen
N Engl J Med 347:1362-3. 2002
- Effect of restricted freedom on health in ChinaTherese Hesketh
Institute of Child Health, University College London, London WC1 N1EH
BMJ 329:1427. 2004
- Intergroup attitudes and attitudes towards devolution: field and laboratory experimentsGregory R Maio
Cardiff University, UK
Br J Soc Psychol 42:477-93. 2003..minority status and of intergroup attitudes towards potentially devolving groups in psychology. These findings demonstrate that intergroup attitudes are highly relevant to understanding attitudes regarding devolution...
- Separation of the conjoined twins: a comparative analysis of the rights to privacy and religious freedom in Great Britain and the United StatesJacqueline B Tomasso
Rutgers School of Law Newark, New Jersey, USA
Rutgers Law Rev 54:771-801. 2002
- Consumption and its discontents: addiction, identity and the problems of freedomGerda Reith
Department of Sociology and Anthropology, University of Glasgow
Br J Sociol 55:283-300. 2004..compulsion and freedom vs. determinism...
- Scientific freedom and research cloning: can a ban be justified?Timothy Caulfield
Faculty of Law and Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, Health Law Institute, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada T6G 2H5
Lancet 364:124-6. 2004
- We hold these freedoms to be self-evident... [interview by Liz Else]Richard Glen Boire
New Sci 182:46-9. 2004
- The politics of public health: a response to EpsteinLawrence O Gostin
Georgetown University, Georgetown University Law Center, 600 New Jersey Avenue, Washington, DC 20001, USA
Perspect Biol Med 46:S160-75. 2003..Public health policy requires political and moral choices, but these choices should be transparent...
- Private wealth and public health: a critique of Richard Epstein's defense of the "old" public healthWilliam J Novak
Department of History, University of Chicago, 1126 East 59th Street, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Perspect Biol Med 46:S176-98. 2003....
- The Model State Emergency Health Powers Act: public health and civil liberties in a time of terrorismLawrence O Gostin
Georgetown University, USA
Health Matrix Clevel 13:3-32. 2003
- Quarantine redux: bioterrorism, AIDS and the curtailment of individual liberty in the name of public healthWendy E Parmet
Northeastern University School of Law, USA
Health Matrix Clevel 13:85-115. 2003
- Public health and human valuesM Hayry
Centre for Social Ethics and Policy, School of Law, The University of Manchester, Williamson Building, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PL, UK
J Med Ethics 32:519-21. 2006..The result is that people's actual concerns are not always adequately dealt with by public health measures and assurances...
- The stem cell compromise: a wolf in sheep's clothing, constitutional implications of the Bush planAtossa M Alavi
Case Western Reserve University School of Law
Health Matrix Clevel 13:181-233. 2003
- Politics, health policy, and the American characterPhilip Lee
Stanford University, USA
Stanford Law Pol Rev 17:7-32. 2006
- Balancing pluralism and the common good: a look at open-air experiments of biowarfare agentsGriffin Trotter
Center for Health Care Ethics and Emergency Medicine Division, Saint Louis University, USA
Account Res 10:109-21. 2003
- Freedom and resistance: the phenomenal will in addictionMary Tod Gray
East Stroudsburg University, East Stroudsburg, PA 18301, USA
Nurs Philos 8:3-15. 2007
- Beyond the liberal and communitarian impasse: a framework and vision for public healthJames F Childress
Institute for Practice Ethics and Public Life, University of Virginia, USA
Fla Law Rev 55:1191-219. 2003
- Human genetic databases and libertyRagnar Adalsteinsson
Supreme Court, Iceland
Jurid Rev 2004:65-74. 2004..due to incurable diseases? Or is the invisible hand of the market the only competent decision-maker? Finally, will the proliferation of databases containing sensitive personal data, such as human genetic data, limit our personal liberty?..
- Mossadegh and the people of IranJahangir Taghipour
Med Confl Surviv 22:166-72. 2006
- Outpatient civil commitment: a dangerous charade or a component of a comprehensive institution of civil commitment?Robert F Schopp
University of Nebraska College of Law, P O Box 830902, Lincoln, NE 68583 0902, USA
Psychol Public Policy Law 9:33-69. 2003..This analysis applies to preventive commitment as a dispositional alternative within a comprehensive institution of civil commitment involving distinct parens patriae and police power components...
- The physician as a conscientious objectorJ David Bleich
Benjamin N Cardozo School of Law, USA
Fordham Urban Law J 30:245-65. 2002
- The abortion debate thirty years later: from choice to coercionMaureen Kramlich
United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, USA
Fordham Urban Law J 31:783-804. 2004
- Bioethics at the moviesJames Bowman
Ethics and Public Policy Center, USA
New Atlantis 8:93-100. 2005
- Slippery-slope objections to legalizing physician-assisted suicide and voluntary euthanasiaDanny Scoccia
New Mexico State University, USA
Public Aff Q 19:143-61. 2005
- Bills could stifle university science teachingJanet Pelley
Environ Sci Technol 39:275A-276A. 2005
- Liberalism, legal moralism and moral disagreementArthur Kuflik
Philosophy Department, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT 05405, USA
J Appl Philos 22:185-98. 2005..I argue, on the contrary, that liberalism's emphasis on public reason is itself grounded in very deep--though (suitably) "non-comprehensive"--moral considerations...
- Does autonomy require freedom? The importance of options in international HIV/AIDS researchDeborah Zion
Department of Medicine, Centre for Human Bioethics, Monash University, Alfred Hospital, Prahan, Vic, Australia
Health Care Anal 13:189-202. 2005..Finally, I suggest that mechanisms should be put in place through which vulnerable research participants can express their views about the relationship between the research in which they are involved, and needs of a worthwhile life...
- Linking nursing theory and practice: a critical-feminist approachJane M Georges
Hahn School of Nursing and Health Science, University of San Diego, CA 92110, USA
ANS Adv Nurs Sci 28:50-7. 2005..Implications for the future of nursing theory and its links to practice in the context of current political realities in academia are considered...
- Outpatient commitment: a therapeutic jurisprudence analysisBruce J Winick
University of Miami School of Law, 1311 Miller Drive, Room G477, Coral Gables, FL 33146, USA
Psychol Public Policy Law 9:107-44. 2003....
- The genesis of public health ethicsRonald Bayer
Center for History and Ethics of Public Health, Department of Sociomedical Sciences, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Bioethics 18:473-92. 2004..As we commence the process of shaping an ethics of public health, it is clear that bioethics is the wrong place to start when thinking about the balances required in defence of the public's health...
- Libertarian bioethics and religion: the case of H. Tristram Engelhardt, JrMichael S Merry
4805 Agate Lane, Madison, Wisconsin 53714, USA
Bioethics 18:387-407. 2004..The author wishes to question some of the conclusions that Engelhardt reaches as they touch upon moral frameworks, pluralism, and a 'secular' bioethics...
- When terrorism threatens health: how far are limitations on personal and economic liberties justified?Lawrence O Gostin
Georgetown Univesity, Washington, DC, USA
Fla Law Rev 55:1105-70. 2003
- Liberalism, communitarianism, and public health: comments on Lawrence O. Gostin's lectureWendy E Parmet
Northeastern University, USA
Fla Law Rev 55:1221-40. 2003
- From Asilomar to industrial biotechnology: risks, reductionism and regulationSheldon Krimsky
Department of Urban and Environmental Policy and Planning, Tufts University, Medford, MA 02155, USA
Sci Cult (Lond) 14:309-23. 2005
- Precommitment analysis and societal moral identityRichard S Markovits
University of Texas School of Law, USA
Tex Law Rev 81:1877-927. 2003
- Harms to dignity, bioethics, and the scope of biolawEvan Simpson
Department of Philosophy, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St John s, Newfoundland, Canada
J Palliat Care 20:185-92. 2004....
- Legal harmonization and reproductive tourism in EuropeGuido Pennings
Centre for Environmental Philosophy and Bioethics, Ghent University, Blandijnberg 2, B 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Hum Reprod 19:2689-94. 2004..A soft or compromise legislation will keep reproductive travelling to a minimum. Reproductive tourism is a safety valve that reduces moral conflict and expresses minimal recognition of the others' moral autonomy...
- Postmodern feminist perspectives and nursing research: a passionately interested form of inquiryKay Aranda
Institute of Nursing and Midwifery, University of Brighton, Brighton, UK
Nurs Inq 13:135-43. 2006....
- Making sense of dignityRichard E Ashcroft
Biomedical Ethics, Imperial College London, Medical Ethics Unit, 324 Reynolds Building, St Dunstan s Road, London W6 8RP
J Med Ethics 31:679-82. 2005....
- Scientists, bioethics and democracy: the Italian case and its meaningsGilberto Corbellini
Sezione di Storia della Medicina, Universita La Sapienza Roma, Viale dell Università 34 a, 00185 Rome, Italy
J Med Ethics 33:349-52. 2007..and anti-historical view that scientific and technological advancements are threatening democracy and personal freedom. Scientists should not only contrast the political attempts at limiting freedom of scientific research, but also ..
- [Bioethics, the judge and public debate]J F Burgelin
Procureur général honoraire près la Cour de cassation
J Int Bioethique 17:21-31, 159. 2006..This is a confrontation between the immense hopes raised by the idea of progress and the reality of the fears and possible misuse of science...
- Patently controversial: markets, morals, and the President's proposal for embryonic stem cell researchJoseph J Fins
Division of Medical Ethics, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY, USA
Kennedy Inst Ethics J 12:265-78. 2002....
- Combining mandatory health insurance and medical savings accountsNikola Zivaljevic
Western Pennsylvania Hand and Trauma Center, Pittsburgh, USA
Manag Care Interface 15:63-8. 2002The American tradition of freedom of choice is mirrored exceptionally well in the health care industry. The consequences of this system are the highest health care costs in the world and 38.7 million uninsured...
- Public health law: a communitarian perspectiveAmitai Etzioni
George Washington University, Washington, DC, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 21:102-4. 2002..Although we should not expect that every public health policy will affect all members of society in exactly the same way, thought must be given to ways of compensating groups that are burdened more than others by a policy...
- Bioterrorism, public health, and the lawRonald Bayer
Center for the History and Ethics of Public Health, Department of Sociomedical Sciences, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, New York City, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 21:98-101. 2002..Although the debates over the model act have been triggered by the threat of bioterrorism, they illustrate broader philosophical differences, with profound implications for all realms of public health policy...
- Public health law in an age of terrorism: rethinking individual rights and common goodsLawrence O Gostin
Health Aff (Millwood) 21:79-93. 2002..Finally, the paper offers a systematic defense of MSEHPA, which has galvanized the public debate around the appropriate balance between public goods and individual rights...
- Of terrorism and healthcare: jolting the old habitsGriffin Trotter
Center for Health Care Ethics, Saint Louis University, USA
Camb Q Healthc Ethics 11:411-4. 2002
- Whose life is it anyway? An exploration of five contemporary ethical issues that pertain to the psychiatric nursing care of the person who is suicidal: part oneJohn R Cutcliffe
David G Braithwaite Department of Nursing, University of Texas, Tyler, USA
Int J Ment Health Nurs 17:236-45. 2008..Lastly, the authors find that the relevant theoretical and ethical literature in this area suggests, at least for some and under certain conditions, suicide can be the right thing to do...
- Personal morals and abortion legislationG Konig
University of California, San Diego, USA
Princet J Bioeth 4:20-7. 2001....
- The right to health careT Friesen
LUCAS, Bowker and White, Edmonton, Alberta
Health Law J 9:205-22. 2001..It is this solidarity among strangers, this transformation through the division of labour of needs into rights and rights into care that gives us whatever fragile basis we have for saying that we live in a moral community...
- Tobacco, commercial speech, and libertarian values: the end of the line for restrictions on advertising?Ronald Bayer
Program in the History and Ethics of Public Health and Medicine, Division of Sociomedical Sciences, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, 600 W 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
Am J Public Health 92:356-9. 2002..In so doing, the court underscored the enduring tension between the libertarian and social welfare dimensions of contemporary democracy and placed into relief the divisions within the American liberal tradition...
- The importance of public-health ethicsJohn Krebs
Bull World Health Organ 86:579. 2008
- The liberty principle and universal health careBenjamin Sachs
Department of Bioethics, Clinical Center, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
Kennedy Inst Ethics J 18:149-72. 2008..The solution is to design the list of basic liberties and the health care system in tandem so as to fit each other, such that every citizen is guaranteed a set of basic liberties and access to the health services needed to secure them...
- Death, dying, and dominationMarc Spindelman
The Ohio State University s Moritz College of Law and The University of Michigan Law School, USA
Mich Law Rev 106:1641-68. 2008..It presents an alternative that does, which is thus more respectful of true freedom in the context of death and dying, and also more consistent with liberalism...
- Suffering: toward a contextual praxisJane M Georges
Hahn School of Nursing and Health Science, University of San Diego, San Diego, California, USA
ANS Adv Nurs Sci 25:79-86. 2002..Finally, the article proposes a new conceptualization of an alternative contextual praxis of suffering in which nurses' responses to suffering are situated in an emancipatory paradigm of authentic presence...
- Understanding, resisting, and overcoming oppression: toward psychopolitical validityIsaac Prilleltensky
Department of Human and Organizational Development, Peabody College, Box 90, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee 37203, USA
Am J Community Psychol 31:195-201. 2003..My second objective is to offer ways of closing the gap between research and action on oppression and liberation. To do so I suggest 2 types of psychopolitical validity: epistemic and transformative...
- The mental health service crisis of neoliberalism -- an antipodean perspectiveTerry Carney
University of Sydney, 173 175 Phillip St, Sydney 2000 Australia
Int J Law Psychiatry 31:101-15. 2008....
- The search for a global bioethics: fraudulent claims and false promisesMark Cherry
Department of Philosophy, Saint Edward s University, Austin, TX, USA
J Med Philos 27:683-98. 2002
- Protecting the public's health in an era of bioterrorism: the Model State Emergency Health Powers ActJames G Hodge
Center for Law and the Public s Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Hampton House, Room 527 A, 624 N Broadway, Baltimore, MD 21205 1996, USA
Account Res 10:91-107. 2003..Individual rights to contest the coercive use of public health powers, even during an emergency, are secured...
- Curative catheter ablation in atrial fibrillation and typical atrial flutter: systematic review and economic evaluationM Rodgers
Centre for Reviews and Dissemination, University of York, UK
Health Technol Assess 12:iii-iv, xi-xiii, 1-198. 2008..To determine the safety, clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of radio frequency catheter ablation (RCFA) for the curative treatment of atrial fibrillation (AF) and typical atrial flutter...
- Locoregional control in infants with neuroblastoma: role of radiation therapy and late toxicityArnold C Paulino
Department ofRadiation Oncology, The University of Iowa College of Medicine and Children s Hospital of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 52:1025-31. 2002..To review patterns of failure in infants with neuroblastoma and determine late toxicity and efficacy of radiotherapy (RT) on locoregional control...
- Cyclosporine A versus tacrolimus in combination with mycophenolate mofetil and steroids as primary immunosuppression after lung transplantation: one-year results of a 2-center prospective randomized trialAndreas Zuckermann
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Vienna, Austria
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 125:891-900. 2003..Benefit or risk deriving from the combination with mycophenolate mofetil are yet unknown...
- Long-term results of right ventricular outflow tract reconstruction in neonatal cardiac surgery: options and outcomesAditya K Kaza
Division of Cardiac Surgery and Cardiology, Children s Hospital Boston and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 138:911-6. 2009..Although the method of reconstruction is often dictated by the individual anatomy, choices exist. This review examines the durability and outcomes of right ventricular outflow tract reconstruction in the neonate...
- Eugenics discourse and racial improvement in Republican China (1911-1949)Kyu Hwan Sihn
Department of Medical History, College of Medicine, Yonsei University, Seodaemun Ku, Seoul, Korea
Uisahak 19:459-85. 2010..The aim of the small family system was to improve both the race and the environment. Such thinkers argued that freedom of love and the liberation of individuality were necessary for this end...
- Ethical and legal issues in the use of related donors for therapeutic inseminationLorna A Marshall
Center for Fertility and Reproductive Endocrinology, Virginia Mason Medical Center, 1100 Ninth Ave, X11 FC, Seattle, Washington 98111, USA
Urol Clin North Am 29:855-61. 2002..Still, in the United States the freedom of couples or individuals to decide whether, when, and how to reproduce is highly valued...
- Mental health problems, use of mental health services, and attrition from military service after returning from deployment to Iraq or AfghanistanCharles W Hoge
Division of Psychiatry and Neuroscience, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Washington, DC, USA
JAMA 295:1023-32. 2006..To date, no systematic analysis of this program has been conducted, and studies have not assessed the impact of these deployments on mental health care utilization after deployment...
- PTSD, combat injury, and headache in Veterans Returning from Iraq/AfghanistanNiloofar Afari
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, San Diego, CA, USA
Headache 49:1267-76. 2009To examine the relationship between posttraumatic stress disorder, combat injury, and headache in Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom veterans at the VA San Diego Healthcare System.
- Delayed intraocular foreign body removal without endophthalmitis during Operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring FreedomMarcus H Colyer
Ophthalmology Service, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC 20307, USA
Ophthalmology 114:1439-47. 2007..results of intraocular foreign body (IOFB) removal at Walter Reed Army Medical Center during Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom from February 2003 through November 2005 and to determine the prognostic factors ..
- Defining output-based standards to achieve and maintain tuberculosis freedom in farmed deer, with reference to member states of the European UnionSimon J More
Centre for Veterinary Epidemiology and Risk Analysis, Veterinary Sciences Centre, University College Dublin, Belfield, Dublin 4, Ireland
Prev Vet Med 90:254-67. 2009..application of defined control measures), on the expectation that an adequate output (for example, confidence in freedom) will be achieved...
- Heterotopic ossification following traumatic and combat-related amputations. Prevalence, risk factors, and preliminary results of excisionBenjamin K Potter
Orthopaedic Surgery, Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, 6900 Georgia Avenue N W, Building 2, Clinic 5A, Washington, DC 20307, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 89:476-86. 2007..our recent experience in the treatment of traumatic and combat-related amputations related to Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom...
- Superposition of independent units of coordination during pointing movements involving the trunk with and without visual feedbackP Pigeon
Institut de Génie Biomédical, Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal, and Université de Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Exp Brain Res 131:336-49. 2000Previous studies addressing the problem of the control of multiple degrees of freedom have examined the influence of trunk movement on pointing movements within the arm's reach...
- Progression to 100% off-pump coronary artery bypass with the Octopus 1 dual holderA Roy
Cardiothoracic Unit, St Mary s Hospital, Praed Street, London, United Kingdom
Heart Surg Forum 4:174-8. 2001..The study introduces a variant of the Octopus stabilizer, a single Octopus 1 arm (Medtronic, Inc., Minneapolis, MN) with a dual holder...
- Comparison between civilian burns and combat burns from Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring FreedomSteven E Wolf
Burn Center, United States Army Institute of Surgical Research, 3400 Rawley E Chambers, Fort Sam Houston, TX 79234, USA
Ann Surg 243:786-92; discussion 792-5. 2006..To assess outcome differences between locally burned civilians and military personnel burned in a distant combat zone treated in the same facility...
- Effect of temporary shunting on extremity vascular injury: an outcome analysis from the Global War on Terror vascular injury initiativeShaun M Gifford
San Antonio Military Medical Center, Lackland Air Force Base, TX 78236, USA
J Vasc Surg 50:549-55; discussion 555-6. 2009..This study's purpose is to provide perspective on TVS's impact on limb salvage, and estimate longer-term freedom from amputation.
- Early definitive abdominal closure using serial closure technique on injured soldiers returning from Afghanistan and IraqAmy Vertrees
Department of General Surgery, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
J Am Coll Surg 202:762-72. 2006Twenty-nine of 1,284 battle-injured soldiers arriving at Walter Reed Army Medical Center from Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom have abdominal wounds requiring delayed definitive closure with Gore-Tex (WL Gore & Assoc) ..
- Predictors of recurrence and reoperation for prosthetic valve endocarditis after valve replacement surgery for native valve endocarditisLynn M Fedoruk
University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 137:326-33. 2009..This study is designed to evaluate the outcomes of surgical reconstruction of complex annular endocarditis using standard techniques and materials, including autologous and bovine pericardium...
- Race/ethnicity: a predictor of temporal lobe epilepsy surgery outcome?Jorge G Burneo
Epilepsy Programme, University of Western Ontario, London, Canada
Epilepsy Behav 7:486-90. 2005The success of epilepsy surgery in temporal lobe epilepsy reaches a 64% rate of seizure freedom, based on a randomized control trial...
- The design of a five-degree-of-freedom powered orthosis for the upper limbG R Johnson
Centre for Rehabilitation and Engineering Studies, University of Newcastle, Stephenson Building, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RU, UK
Proc Inst Mech Eng H 215:275-84. 2001..This is a five-degree-of-freedom electrically powered device having three degrees of freedom at the shoulder, one at the elbow and one to provide ..
- Tympanic membrane perforation and hearing loss from blast overpressure in Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom woundedAmber E Ritenour
United States Army Institute of Surgical Research, San Antonio, Texas, USA
J Trauma 64:S174-8; discussion S178. 2008..We wanted to determine the severity of perforation and its effect on hearing and combat readiness...
- Prehospital tourniquet use in Operation Iraqi Freedom: effect on hemorrhage control and outcomesAlec C Beekley
Department of General Surgery, Madigan Army Medical Center, Fort Lewis, WA 98431 1100, USA
J Trauma 64:S28-37; discussion S37. 2008..Retrospective reviews of prehospital tourniquet use in World War II and by the Israeli Defense Forces revealed improvements in extremity hemorrhage control and very few adverse limb outcomes when tourniquet times are less than 6 hours...
- Electrophysiological spread of excitation and pitch perception for dual and single electrodes using the Nucleus Freedom cochlear implantPeter A Busby
Cochlear Limited, Melbourne, Australia
Ear Hear 29:853-64. 2008..evoked compound action potential (ECAP), between dual and single electrode stimulation with the Nucleus Freedom cochlear implant system...
- [Current aspects of mitral valve repair in the surgical treatment of mitral valve insufficiency]Rainer G Leyh
Thorax und Kardiovaskularchirurgie, Westdeutsches Herzzentrum, Universitatsklinikum Essen
Herz 31:47-52. 2006..The best functional result for MVR can be achieved for degenerative mitral valve regurgitation (10-year freedom from reoperation for recurrent mitral regurgitation up to 94%) followed by patients with rheumatic mitral valve ..
- Novel breathing motion model for radiotherapyDaniel A Low
Department of Radiation Oncology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 63:921-9. 2005..we have determined that the motion of lung and lung tumor tissues can be modeled as a function of five degrees of freedom, the position of the tissues at a user-specified reference breathing phase, tidal volume and its temporal ..
- Infrapopliteal angioplasty for critical limb ischemia: relation of TransAtlantic InterSociety Consensus class to outcome in 176 limbsKristina A Giles
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA 02215, USA
J Vasc Surg 48:128-36. 2008..We report our experience with infrapopliteal angioplasty stratified by TASC lesion classification...
- [Improving speech comprehension using a new cochlear implant speech processor]J Muller-Deile
Klinik fur Hals, Nasen, Ohrenheilkunde, Kopf und Halschirurgie, Phoniatrie und Padaudiologie, Christian Albrechts Universitat zu Kiel, Kiel, Germany
HNO 57:567-74. 2009The aim of this multicenter clinical field study was to assess the benefits of the new Freedom 24 sound processor for cochlear implant (CI) users implanted with the Nucleus 24 cochlear implant system...
- Clinical efficacy and cost per quality-adjusted life years of pararenal endovascular aortic aneurysm repair compared with open surgical repairSherif Sultan
Western Vascular Institute, Department of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, University College Hospital Galway, Newcastle Road, Galway, Ireland
J Endovasc Ther 18:181-96. 2011..To gauge the efficacy of applying commercially-available endografts to pararenal endovascular abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) repair compared with open surgical repair (OSR)...
- NIH Director's Pioneer AwardERICH JARVIS; Fiscal Year: 2009..Repairing the pathway in vocal learners, when damaged, would have profound impact for correcting neurological disorders of speech. ..
- Principles of Therapy in Cerebellar Disease: Explorations in Ion Channel MutantsJOHN SAMUEL STAHL; Fiscal Year: 2013..The prevalence of veterans with chronic cerebellar dysfunction due to TBI is increasing due to Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom (OEF/OIF), since cerebellar dysfunction is often prominent in TBI [9, 42]...
- Pituitary dysfunction, behavioral symptoms, and quality of life after blast mTBICHARLES WILLIAM WILKINSON; Fiscal Year: 2012..coma, or paralysis, mTBI, particularly repetitive mTBI characteristic of soldiers deployed to Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) and Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF), in Afghanistan, may have devastating personal, professional and ..
- Nanoparticle Coupled Antioxidants for Respiratory Illness in VeteransRODNEY JON SCHLOSSER; Fiscal Year: 2013..The fact that respiratory tract disorders are among the most common medical conditions in Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) and Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Veterans has been a consistent finding that affects military personnel ..
- Mechanisms of Pleural Fibrosis in EmpyemaKamal A Mohammed; Fiscal Year: 2013..army community hospitals and among military recruits, in nursing home care units of VAMC and in Operation Iraqi Freedom troop population...
- Frontal Lobe Injury and Executive Control of Cognition and EmotionDiane Swick; Fiscal Year: 2013..Traumatic brain injury (TBI) is often considered the "signature injury" of Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) and Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF)...
- A translational model of neuro-immune therapy for PTSD in veterans of the OEF/OIFLeonardo H Tonelli; Fiscal Year: 2013..Veterans from the recent Iraq and Afghanistan wars (Operation Enduring Freedom/Operation Iraqi Freedom) have a particularly high incidence of PTSD and other mental disorders such as anxiety ..
- Prenatal Cocaine Exposure: Young Adult Follow UpRuth Rose-Jacobs; Fiscal Year: 2013..the influence of potentially buffering contextual factors from infancy to young adulthood contributing to: 1) Freedom from SUDs;2) Greater adaptive role function including fewer HIV risk behaviors, later childbearing, fewer ..
- Adolescent Alcohol,Dysregulated Stress System, and PTSD VulnerabilityGERHARD H SCHULTEIS; Fiscal Year: 2013..recent study reported that PTSD represents nearly half of all mental disorders for veterans of Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) and Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF)...
- Stress and PTSD Among OEF/OIF Soldiers &Their SpousesCatherine M Caska; Fiscal Year: 2012..evaluate the differential physiological impact of negative marital interactions on Operations Enduring and Iraqi Freedom veterans, with and without PTSD, and their spouses...
- Early Identification of Developmental Disorders in InfantsB Eugene Parker; Fiscal Year: 2012..The GEMINI system will exploit Barron Associates'patented six degrees-of- freedom motion monitoring capability and sophisticated signal processing to identify the key qualitative and quantitative ..
- Liver Tissue Engineering Through Three-Dimensional Hepatocyte CultureTammy T Chang; Fiscal Year: 2013..cultured in Rotating Wall Vessel (RWV) bioreactors, which provide minimal shear stress with maximal 3D spatial freedom, produced self-aggregated spheroids with optimal metabolic and synthetic gene expression and function as compared ..
- Novel mechanisms to increase beta cell regeneration by p27SENTA K GEORGIA; Fiscal Year: 2012..With protected research time, freedom from the responsibility of didactic teaching responsibilities, participation in intellectually stimulating and ..
- Impaired hippocampal function as a risk factor for Post-Traumatic Stress DisorderAlmira Vazdarjanova; Fiscal Year: 2013..64 million US troops have been deployed in guerilla-type combat (Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom) that have a high level of unpredictable and recurring exposures to traumatic events...
- Theiler?s virus as a potential cause of Vilyuisk encephalitisHOWARD LEE LIPTON; Fiscal Year: 2010..Globalization due to increased freedom of air travel could result in further spread of VE to other regions of the world...
- Somatosensory feedback controlling a neuroprosthesisDouglas J Weber; Fiscal Year: 2010..Multichannel recordings are essential for this work, because there are multiple degrees-of-freedom for joint movement and several different kinematic and kinetic state variables that are of interest for closed- ..
- OEF/OIF Veterans with PTSD in Mental Health Residential Treatment ProgramsEric Slade; Fiscal Year: 2013..Affairs (VA) mental health residential rehabilitation treatment services for Veterans of Operations Enduring Freedom (OEF) and Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) who have a post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is critically needed...
- Qualitative Study of Mental Health Recovery in Dual Diagnosed HomelessDEBORAH KAY PADGETT; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The vision of mental health recovery promoted by the President's New Freedom Commission portends a transformation of services for psychiatrically disabled persons, yet empirical research on ..
- Immunopathological basis of PTSDPrakash S Nagarkatti; Fiscal Year: 2013..To date, over 1.6 million US men and women have served in the wars in Iraq (Operation Iraqi Freedom, OIF) and Afghanistan and surrounding regions (Operation Enduring Freedom, OEF)...
- Primary Care Transformation in a NCQA Certified Patient-Centered Medical HomeMing Tai-Seale; Fiscal Year: 2011..has a team of experienced investigators with direct access to data, medical leadership, and patients, yet freedom to publish all findings...
- Disposable Valved Intraurethral Catheter FeasibilityHarvey D Homan; Fiscal Year: 2010..will be an innovative treatment alternative for users of Foley and intermittent catheters, allowing patients the freedom to urinate at their convenience, thereby improving the quality of life for an estimated 375,000 men who must deal ..
- Genetic Elucidation of VTA Glutamate NeuronsTHOMAS HNASKO; Fiscal Year: 2013..goal is to establish an independent laboratory at an academic research institution where I will have the freedom and resources to contribute to our understanding of the brain, and in particular, the neural mechanisms ..
- Protein, Enzyme, and Biological Water Dynamics: 2D Vibrational Echo SpectroscopyMichael D Fayer; Fiscal Year: 2011..echo experiments are akin to 2D-NMR except that they directly examine the structural/mechanical degrees of freedom of biological systems on time scales not accessible by other methods...
- Mission Reconnect: Promoting Resilience and Re-Integration of Post-Deployment VetWILLIAM B COLLINGE; Fiscal Year: 2010..to produce a multimedia educational intervention that will support recently returned veterans of Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) and Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) and their relationship partners (spouse, family or friend) with ..
- Prenatal Smoke Exposure and Offspring Substance Use: An Imaging-Genetics ApproachArdesheer Talati; Fiscal Year: 2013..Should this award be funded, I will commit to devoting at least 75% of my full time effort on this project, and the institution has guaranteed to provide me the freedom to do so.
- Chicago Westside Partnership for Children's Asthma Initiative (CWPC-AI)Steven Whitman; Fiscal Year: 2010..The initiative will also partner with SUHI's Breathing Freedom program, a North Lawndale community-based smoking cessation program, to reduce secondhand smoke exposure among ..
- Essential Features of Neural Damage in Mild Traumatic Brain InjuryScott R Sponheim; Fiscal Year: 2012..In a pilot investigation of Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom (OIF/OEF) troops we found individuals with blast-related TBI (bTBI) exhibited ..
- Measurement-Based Telehealth Care of Mild Traumatic Brain InjuryJACOB T KEAN; Fiscal Year: 2012..injury of current military conflicts, affecting 10-20% of those wounded during service in Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom...
- Ecological Momentary Assessment of Functioning in SchizophreniaEric L Granholm; Fiscal Year: 2013..The President's New Freedom Commission on Mental Health report7 and the Comprehensive VHA Mental Health Strategic Plan4 emphasize the crucial ..
- EFFECT OF NEURAL CONSTRAINTS ON MOVEMENT IN STROKEJulius P Dewald; Fiscal Year: 2013..we quantified torque-coupling patterns, and associated muscle activations, isometrically by using a 6 Degree-of-Freedom load cell...
- A Social Ecological Based Smoking Cessation Intervention in Public HousingJeannette O Andrews; Fiscal Year: 2013..Control participants will receive written cessation materials at baseline (Pathways to Freedom) and mailed written cessation materials at weeks 6, 12, and 18...
- Cortical Excitability: Biomarker and Endophenotype in Combat Related PTSDZhewu Wang; Fiscal Year: 2013..of veterans exposed to combat stress, specifically focusing on combat-related PTSD symptoms in Operation Iraq Freedom / Operation Enduring Freedom (OIF/OEF) Veterans...
- Natural engineering of multi-electron biological oxidation &reductionPETER LESLIE DUTTON; Fiscal Year: 2013..We exploit the simplicity and adaptability of these artificial proteins we call maquettes, and their freedom from the obscuring complexity and fragility of natural proteins...
- Detection and Alerting System for Seizure Onset (DASSO)Todd A Summers; Fiscal Year: 2013..While the low-pro le, unobtrusive device will provide greater freedom for epileptic patients and their caregivers, it could also be used for continuous physiologic monitoring for ..
- Mechanobiology in CAM: Differential Effects of AmplitudeROBERT ALLEN HARTMAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..This project aims to explore the effect of range-of- motion (ROM) in 6 degree-of-freedom (DOF) motion on inflammatory and catabolic markers in viable rabbit functional spinal units (FSUs)...
- Central Auditory Processing Deficits Associated with Blast ExposureMarjorie R Leek; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The current conflicts in Afghanistan (Operation Enduring Freedom;OEF) and Iraq (Operation Iraqi Freedom;OIF) have resulted in unprecedented rates of exposure to high-intensity blasts and resulting ..
- SCORE: Principal Differential Analysis with Covariates for Functional DataJoan G Staniswalis; Fiscal Year: 2012..Understanding the interaction of noise induced hearing loss and TBI, disorders common to Operation Iraqui Freedom/Operation Enduring Freedom soldiers exposed to explosive blasts (Meyers, Wilmington, Gallun, and Henry 2009;..
- Applying a Multidimensional Algorithm for Motor ControlEmilio Bizzi; Fiscal Year: 2010..that successful production of any movement necessitates coordination of many muscles representing many degrees of freedom. Recently there has been evidence suggesting that the central nervous system may coordinate muscle activations ..
- Parent Education and Resources for Self-Injurious YouthJanis L Whitlock; Fiscal Year: 2012..The President's New Freedom Commission on Mental Health specifically calls for the identification and early treatment of youth who may ..
- SARRP 200 Small animal radiation research platformConstantinos Koumenis; Fiscal Year: 2010..beam collimation for animal irradiators has been limited to shielding blocks and most irradiators had no freedom of movement for beam direction. The current instrument has the capability of 0...
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction and the Initiation of OsteoarthritisThomas P Andriacchi; Fiscal Year: 2013..0T magnetic resonance imaging. Using algorithms developed by our group, we can estimate the 6 degree-of-freedom motion of the tibiofemoral joint including internal tibial rotation and anterior tibial translation...
- Genetic and Environmental Risk/Resilience Factors for PTSD in OEF/OIF VeteransBekh Bradley; Fiscal Year: 2013..estimate that between 10 and 20% of military service members deployed to combat in Iraq (Operation Iraqi Freedom;OIF)) and Afghanistan (Operation Enduring Freedom;OEF) develop significant symptoms of Posttraumatic Stress ..
- Robotic System with Multiplexed DOF Control for Minimally Invasive InterventionsPeter Kazanzides; Fiscal Year: 2012..address these three limitations by creating a system that combines a proprietary general purpose multi-degree-of-freedom precisely controllable robotic mechanism with e3D spatial tracking and image guidance...
- Marijuana use, problems, and cannabis use disorders in OIF/OEF/OND veteransJane Metrik; Fiscal Year: 2013..use, related problems, cannabis use disorders and concomitant affective disorders among 400 Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF), Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF), and Operation New Dawn (OND) veterans recruited from the Veterans ..
- Gene Therapy and Radiation Therapy for Prostate CancerSvend O Freytag; Fiscal Year: 2013..The primary endpoint is toxicity through day 90. Secondary endpoints are: 1) prostate biopsy at 2 years, 2) freedom from biochemical/clinical failure (FFF), 3) disease-specific survival, 4) overall survival, and 5) serum cytokine ..
- Radiosurgery vs lobectomy for temporal lobe epilepsy: Phase 3 Clinical TrialNicholas M Barbaro; Fiscal Year: 2012..with temporal lobectomy in the treatment of patients with pharmaco-resistant temporal lobe epilepsy including freedom from seizures, seizure reduction, neuropsychological outcomes, quality of life and cost-effectiveness...
- Murine Atlas of Genitourinary DevelopmentMelissa Little; Fiscal Year: 2009..5, 17,5 and adult kidney, testis, ovary, ureter and bladder. Section ISH will be performed using a Tecan Freedom EVO 150 Genepaint system...
- Treating Insomnia & Nightmares After Trauma: Impact on Symptoms & Quality of LifeSean P A Drummond; Fiscal Year: 2010..Recent estimates suggest the prevalence within Operation Enduring Freedom/Operation Iraqi Freedom (OEF/OIF) veterans presenting for care at the VA is even higher...
- A Joint-Coupled Controlled-Brake Orthosis System for Hybrid FES Gait RestorationMichael Goldfarb; Fiscal Year: 2013..Due to the potential of collapse (from muscle fatigue) and the need to guide uncontrolled degrees of freedom, hybrid systems appear to offer the greatest promise for commercially viable gait restoration...
- Identifying mTBI Subtypes and their Implications for Recovery and ReintegrationMark Meterko; Fiscal Year: 2013..Traumatic brain injury (TBI) is a signature condition of combat among returnees from Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom (OEF/OIF)...
- PTSD, TBI, and Neuropsychological Factors in Partner Violence among VeteransCasey T Taft; Fiscal Year: 2013..association between PTSD symptom severity and intimate partner violence (IPV) perpetration among Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF)/ Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) veterans...
- Mental Health and Service Utilization Among Reserve and National Guard ForcesSandro Galea; Fiscal Year: 2012..Current deployment to one of these two countries as parts of Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) or Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) have added to the duties of members of the Reserve and National Guard ..
- Development and Translational Assesment of a Tongue-Based Assistive Neuro-TechnolMaysam Ghovanloo; Fiscal Year: 2010..The human tongue is inherently capable of sophisticated control and manipulation tasks with many degrees of freedom. It can move rapidly and accurately within the mouth such that the tip can touch every single tooth...
- Bridging multiple scales in modeling targeted drug nanocarrier deliveryRavi Radhakrishnan; Fiscal Year: 2013..The model will bridge multiple degrees of freedom at different length scales to incorporate: (i) NC translation and rotation as well as antigen/antibody ..
- Cortical Control of an Assistive Robotic ArmJohn P Donoghue; Fiscal Year: 2010..The research will establish optimal decoding and training methods for humans to achieve the highest degree of freedom control. The second aim will advance algorithms to improve reliability and stability of performance over time...
- Predicting Skeletal Stability of Endoprostheses for Above Elbow AmputeesKent N Bachus; Fiscal Year: 2010..Surgeon General, between September 2001 and January 12, 2009, there were 1,286 limbs amputated in Operation Iraqi Freedom, Operation Enduring Freedom, and unaffiliated conflicts, of whom nearly 70% have suffered major limb amputations...
- Genome Wide Association Study of Head and Neck CancerSanjay Shete; Fiscal Year: 2013..aim 3, we will apply novel statistical tools such as the latent variable approach with Tukey's one-degree-of-freedom test and support vector machines to identify gene-gene and gene-environment (using environmental factors such as ..
- A Multisite Randomized Controlled Trial of Mindfulness Meditation Therapy for PTSMark B Hamner; Fiscal Year: 2013..Significance: Operations Enduring Freedom, Iraqi Freedom, and New Dawn have brought in large numbers of young men and women with war-related trauma and ..
- EMG-Based Multi-Joint Control of Dexterous Prosthetic LimbsCHRISTOPHER LEE PULLIAM; Fiscal Year: 2012..This allows only a single degree of freedom to be operated at a time, and requires some type of a mode switch to transition between operating the various ..
- Neuromechanical Substrates for Post Stroke Asymmetric GaitYASIN YOUSEF DHAHER; Fiscal Year: 2013..Effectively, muscle synergies may simplify motor control by reducing the dimensionality (degrees of freedom) of the control problem...
- A Structured Communication Tool to Improve OEF/OIF Veteran CareRICHARD WARREN GOLDBERG; Fiscal Year: 2012..6 million US service members have served in Afghanistan or Iraq as part of Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) and Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF), and up to 15% of them report significant mental health symptoms...
- Targeting Muller Cells to Treat Optic Nerve InjurySherry Ball; Fiscal Year: 2009..Given the large proportion of returning soldiers from Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom with traumatic brain injury it is clear that studies investigating how ocular trauma ..
- Veteran Reintegration, Mental Health and Substance Use in the Inner-CityANDREW L GOLUB; Fiscal Year: 2013..treatment experiences, and barriers to treatment among veterans returning from Afghanistan (Operation Enduring Freedom or OEF) and Iraq (Operation Iraqi Freedom or OIF) to the inner city...
- Evaluation of Approaches to Auditory Rehabilitation for Mild TBIGabrielle Saunders; Fiscal Year: 2009..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: Project Narrative Many soldiers returning from their recent service in Operation Iraqi Freedom/Operation Enduring Freedom (OIF/OEF) were exposed to blasts during combat...
- Extinction of Fear Memories with Glucocorticoids in Veterans with PTSDAlina Suris; Fiscal Year: 2009..rates of combat-related post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) are increasing because of Operation Enduring Freedom/Operation Iraqi Freedom (OEF/OIF) deployments, with the estimated risk for PTSD from OEF/OIF service ranging from ..
- Neurobiology of PTSD During REM SleepAnne Germain; Fiscal Year: 2010..Ten non-medicated military returnees from Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom, who meet DSM-IV diagnostic criteria for PTSD, and who are between the ages of 21 ..
- Vestibular Consequences of Blast-related Mild Traumatic Brain InjuryFAITH AKIN; Fiscal Year: 2009..mTBI has been called the signature condition of veterans returning from Operation Enduring Freedom/Operation Iraqi Freedom (OEF/OIF), and the cause is often related to blast exposure from improvised explosive ..
- Remediation of Working Memory in SchizophreniaTasha Nienow; Fiscal Year: 2009..The President's New Freedom Commission called for the development of mental health care services that focus on "increasing consumer's ..
- The Role of the Cortex in Discoordination After StrokeJulius Dewald; Fiscal Year: 2009..This aim will be realized using a 6 degree of freedom (DOF) load cell to provide simultaneous measurements of elbow and shoulder torques while measuring EEC from 163 ..
- EMG propagation in planar muscles for prosthesis controlTodd Kuiken; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Currently upper-limb amputees can only operate a single degree-of-freedom at a time with myoelectric prostheses...
- A Web-based Tool for Assessing and Addressing Mental Health of Young ChildrenBarbara Howard; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): National guidelines (e. g., American Academy of Pediatrics, 2002;New Freedom Commission, 2003) call for primary care clinicians to screen for and triage problems related to mental health, development,..
- A Computational Approach for 3D Brain Source ImagingBin He; Fiscal Year: 2010..Epilepsy surgery has the best chance of producing a cure, i.e. complete seizure freedom, but is a viable option only if the brain region generating seizures can be accurately localized and safely ..