Genomes and Genes
Summary: Facilities equipped to carry out investigative procedures.
Publications379 found, 100 shown here
- The quality of laboratory testing today: an assessment of sigma metrics for analytic quality using performance data from proficiency testing surveys and the CLIA criteria for acceptable performanceJames O Westgard
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Wisconsin Medical School, Madison 53706, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 125:343-54. 2006..9 to 2.6; and PSA (TEa = 10%), 1.2 to 1.8. The analytic quality of laboratory tests requires improvement in measurement performance and more intensive quality control monitoring than the CLIA minimum of 2 levels per day...
- Particle emission and exposure during nanoparticle synthesis in research laboratoriesEvangelia Demou
Institute of Environmental Engineering, Department of Civil, Environmental and Geomatic Engineering, ETH Zurich, CH 8093 Zurich, Switzerland
Ann Occup Hyg 53:829-38. 2009Real-time size, mass and number particle concentrations, and emission rates in university laboratories producing nanoparticles by scalable flame spray pyrolysis are quantified...
- Laboratory medicine in Africa: a barrier to effective health careCathy A Petti
Department of Medicine, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Clin Infect Dis 42:377-82. 2006....
- Drug susceptibility testing proficiency in the network of supranational tuberculosis reference laboratoriesA Van Deun
International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, Paris, France
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 15:116-24. 2011The network of supranational tuberculosis reference laboratories (SRLs).
- Global monitoring of Salmonella serovar distribution from the World Health Organization Global Foodborne Infections Network Country Data Bank: results of quality assured laboratories from 2001 to 2007Rene S Hendriksen
National Food Institute, WHO Collaborating Centre for Antimicrobial Resistance in Foodborne Pathogens and Community Reference Laboratory for Antimicrobial Resistance, Technical University of Denmark, Copenhagen, Denmark
Foodborne Pathog Dis 8:887-900. 2011..of the 15 most frequently identified serovars of Salmonella isolated from humans from 2001 to 2007 in laboratories from 37 countries that participated in World Health Organization Global Foodborne Infections Network and ..
- Variation among genome sequences of H37Rv strains of Mycobacterium tuberculosis from multiple laboratoriesThomas R Ioerger
Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Texas A and M University, College Station, TX 77843 3112, USA
J Bacteriol 192:3645-53. 2010..it is suspected that genetic differences have arisen in stocks of H37Rv that are maintained in different laboratories. In order to assess the consistency of the genome sequences among H37Rv strains in use and the extent to which ..
- Laboratory epidemiologist: skilled partner in field epidemiology and disease surveillance in KenyaM Kariuki Njenga
Global Disease Detection Division, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Nairobi, Kenya
J Public Health Policy 29:149-64. 2008..Early indicators suggest programmatic success: the start of laboratory-based disease reporting and better laboratory involvement in outbreak responses...
- Comparison of mRNA splicing assay protocols across multiple laboratories: recommendations for best practice in standardized clinical testingPhillip J Whiley
Genetics and Computational Biology Division, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Clin Chem 60:341-52. 2014..The integrity of assay data in turn relies on appropriate assay design, interpretation, and reporting...
- Laboratory medicine quality indicators: a review of the literatureShahram Shahangian
Laboratory Practice Evaluation and Genomics Branch, Division of Laboratory Systems, National Center for Preparedness, Detection and Control of Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30329, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 131:418-31. 2009..for consistently specified, useful, and evidence-based, laboratory-related quality and performance measures that are important to health outcomes and meaningful to health care stakeholders for which laboratories can be held accountable.
- Cross-validation study for epidermal growth factor receptor and KRAS mutation detection in 74 blinded non-small cell lung carcinoma samples: a total of 5550 exons sequenced by 15 molecular French laboratories (evaluation of the EGFR mutation status for thMichèle Beau-Faller
Laboratoire de Biologie Moleculaire, Hopital de Hautepierre, Strasbourg, France
J Thorac Oncol 6:1006-15. 2011....
- Standardization of pulsed-field gel electrophoresis protocols for the subtyping of Escherichia coli O157:H7, Salmonella, and Shigella for PulseNetEfrain M Ribot
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Foodborne Pathog Dis 3:59-67. 2006..These protocols are used by laboratories in PulseNet, a network of state and local health departments, and other public health laboratories that perform ..
- Good clinical laboratory practice (GCLP): the need for a hybrid of good laboratory practice and good clinical practice guidelines/standards for medical testing laboratories conducting clinical trials in developing countriesW Stevens
Department of Molecular Medicine and Hematology, University of Witwatersrand and National Health Laboratory Service, Saxonwold, South Africa
Qual Assur 10:83-9. 2003..Laboratory results provided by medical testing laboratories in the region are critical to ensuring the safety of patients and the generation of good quality data...
- A critical evaluation of enzyme immunoassay kits for detection of antinuclear autoantibodies of defined specificities. III. Comparative performance characteristics of academic and manufacturers' laboratoriesMarvin J Fritzler
Standardization Committee in Rheumatic and Related Disorders, International Union of Immunological Societies, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
J Rheumatol 30:2374-81. 2003..To analyze the performance of different commercial enzyme immunoassay (EIA) kits for measuring antinuclear antibodies (ANA) specific for dsDNA, SSB/La, Sm, and Scl-70...
- Culturally relevant inquiry-based laboratory module implementations in upper-division genetics and cell biology teaching laboratoriesDimuth Siritunga
Department of Biology, University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez
CBE Life Sci Educ 10:287-97. 2011..Our proposed pedagogical model enhances students' professional competitiveness by providing students with valuable research skills as they work on a problem to which they can relate...
- Equivalence of ELISpot assays demonstrated between major HIV network laboratoriesDilbinder K Gill
International AIDS Vaccine Initiative Human Immunology Laboratory, Imperial College, London, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 5:e14330. 2010..Two independent, GCLP-accredited central laboratories of CTC-VIMC routinely use their own standard operating procedures (SOPs) for ELISpot within two major networks ..
- The uncertain consequences of transferring bacterial strains between laboratories - rpoS instability as an exampleBeny Spira
Departamento de Microbiologia, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
BMC Microbiol 11:248. 2011Microbiological studies frequently involve exchanges of strains between laboratories and/or stock centers. The integrity of exchanged strains is vital for archival reasons and to ensure reproducible experimental results...
- Human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 assessment in a case-control study: comparison of fluorescence in situ hybridization and quantitative reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction performed by central laboratoriesFrederick L Baehner
University of California, San Francisco, 1600 Divisadero St, Rm R200, San Francisco, CA 94063, USA
J Clin Oncol 28:4300-6. 2010..American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)/College of American Pathologists (CAP) guidelines mandate that laboratories demonstrate ≥ 95% concordance to another approved laboratory or methodology...
- Diagnostic reverse-transcription polymerase chain reaction kit for filoviruses based on the strain collections of all European biosafety level 4 laboratoriesMarcus Panning
Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine, Hamburg 20359, Germany
J Infect Dis 196:S199-204. 2007A network of European biosafety level 4 laboratories has designed the first industry-standard molecular assay for all filoviruses species, based on the strain collections of all participants...
- Are laboratory services coming of age in sub-Saharan Africa?Imelda Bates
Clin Infect Dis 42:383-4. 2006
- Health laboratories in the Tanga region of Tanzania: the quality of diagnostic services for malaria and other communicable diseasesD R S Ishengoma
National Institute for Medical Research, Tanga Centre, Tanga, Tanzania
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 103:441-53. 2009..The availability and quality of diagnostic services in 37 health laboratories in three districts of the Tanga region of Tanzania have recently been assessed...
- Microscopic diagnosis of sodium acetate-acetic acid-formalin-fixed stool samples for helminths and intestinal protozoa: a comparison among European reference laboratoriesJ Utzinger
Department of Public Health and Epidemiology, Swiss Tropical Institute, Basel, Switzerland
Clin Microbiol Infect 16:267-73. 2010The present study aimed to compare the diagnostic performance of different European reference laboratories in diagnosing helminths and intestinal protozoa, using an ether-concentration method applied to sodium acetate-acetic acid-formalin ..
- USER cloning and USER fusion: the ideal cloning techniques for small and big laboratoriesHussam H Nour-Eldin
Department of Plant Biology and Biotechnology, and VKR Centre Pro Active Plants, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Frederiksberg, Denmark
Methods Mol Biol 643:185-200. 2010..In this chapter, we present a general protocol for converting any vector into a USER-compatible vector, together with protocols for both USER cloning and USER fusion...
- HER2 testing by local, central, and reference laboratories in specimens from the North Central Cancer Treatment Group N9831 intergroup adjuvant trialEdith A Perez
Mayo Clinic, 4500 San Pablo Rd, Jacksonville, FL 32224, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:3032-8. 2006..To evaluate concordance between local and central laboratory HER2 testing results in patients from the North Central Cancer Treatment Group (NCCTG) N9831 adjuvant trial of trastuzumab...
- Monitoring the performance of mycobacteriology laboratories: a proposal for standardized indicatorsK D McCarthy
Division of Tuberculosis Elimination, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 12:1015-20. 2008..Thailand Tuberculosis (TB) Active Surveillance Network: Bangkok, Chiang Rai, Phuket, Tak and Ubon-Ratchathani, Thailand...
- Avoidance of generic competition by Abbott Laboratories' fenofibrate franchiseNicholas S Downing
Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Arch Intern Med 172:724-30. 2012..concerning the efficacy of fenofibrate has overshadowed an important aspect of the drug's history: Abbott Laboratories, the maker of branded fenofibrate, has produced several bioequivalent reformulations that dominate the market, ..
- Errors in clinical laboratories or errors in laboratory medicine?Mario Plebani
Department of Laboratory Medicine, University Hospital of Padova and Center of Biomedical Research, Castelfranco Veneto, Italy
Clin Chem Lab Med 44:750-9. 2006..Clinical laboratories have long focused their attention on quality control methods and quality assessment programs dealing with ..
- Reproducibility Probability Score--incorporating measurement variability across laboratories for gene selectionGuixian Lin
Nat Biotechnol 24:1476-7. 2006
- A molecular genetics laboratory course applying bioinformatics and cell biology in the context of original researchCynthia J Brame
Department of Biology, Centenary College of Louisiana, Shreveport, LA 71105, USA
CBE Life Sci Educ 7:410-21. 2008..The student response to the project was positive, both in terms of knowledge and skills increases and interest in research, and several students are continuing the analysis of mutant alleles as summer projects...
- Identification errors involving clinical laboratories: a College of American Pathologists Q-Probes study of patient and specimen identification errors at 120 institutionsPaul N Valenstein
Department of Pathology, St Joseph Mercy Hospital, Ann Arbor, Mich 48106 0998, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 130:1106-13. 2006..Misidentified laboratory specimens may cause patient injury, but their frequency in general laboratory practice is unknown...
- Quality indicators in laboratory medicine: a fundamental tool for quality and patient safetyMario Plebani
Department of Laboratory Medicine, University Hospital, Padova, Italy
Clin Biochem 46:1170-4. 2013..The current lack of attention to extra-laboratory factors is in stark contrast with the body of evidence pointing to the multitude of errors that continue to occur in the pre- and post-analytical phases...
- Preanalytical quality control program - an overview of results (2001-2005 summary)Ma Jesus Alsina
SEQC Committee for the Quality of the Extraanalytical Phase, Spain
Clin Chem Lab Med 46:849-54. 2008..Preanalytical variables, such as sample collection, handling, transport, and storage, may affect patient results. The number of errors in the preanalytical phase may decrease by following standardized procedures...
- Virtual imaging laboratories for marker discovery in neurodegenerative diseasesGiovanni B Frisoni
IRCCS Fatebenefratelli, via Pilastroni 4, 25125 Brescia, Italy
Nat Rev Neurol 7:429-38. 2011..In this article, we provide an overview of the currently available e-infrastructures and consider how computational neuroscience in neurodegenerative disease might evolve in the future...
- Harmonization in laboratory medicine: the complete pictureMario Plebani
Department of Laboratory Medicine, University Hospital of Padua, 35128 Padua, Italy
Clin Chem Lab Med 51:741-51. 2013..Evidence of the acute lack of interchangeable laboratory results and consensus in current practice among clinical laboratories has underpinned greater attention to standardization and harmonization projects...
- Evaluation of effectiveness of a computerized notification system for reporting critical valuesElisa Piva
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Padua University School of Medicine, Padua, Italy
Am J Clin Pathol 131:432-41. 2009..Accreditation requirements specify that clinical laboratories must undertake assessments and appropriate measures to improve the timeliness of critical value reporting and ..
- Cassava: constraints to production and the transfer of biotechnology to African laboratoriesSimon E Bull
Department of Biology and Biochemistry, University of Bath, Claverton Down, Bath, Avon, BA2 7AY, UK
Plant Cell Rep 30:779-87. 2011....
- ESHRE PGD Consortium/Embryology Special Interest Group--best practice guidelines for polar body and embryo biopsy for preimplantation genetic diagnosis/screening (PGD/PGS)G L Harton
Reprogenetics LLC, Molecular Genetics, Livingston, NJ 07039, USA
Hum Reprod 26:41-6. 2011..Topics covered in this guideline include uses of embryo biopsy, laboratory issues relating to biopsy, timing of biopsy, biopsy procedure and cryopreserving biopsied embryos...
- The role, challenges, and support of pulsenet laboratories in detecting foodborne disease outbreaksDavid Boxrud
Minnesota Department of Health, St Paul, MN 55164 0899, USA
Public Health Rep 125:57-62. 2010..PulseNet laboratories use bacterial subtyping methods to rapidly detect clusters of foodborne disease, which are often the first ..
- Phenotypic effects of balanced X-autosome translocations in females: a retrospective survey of 104 cases reported from UK laboratoriesJ J Waters
Regional Genetics Service, Birmingham Women s Hospital, UK
Hum Genet 108:318-27. 2001..This study reviewed all cases reported by UK cytogenetics laboratories over a 15-year period (1983-1997). Publication bias was avoided by reviewing all reported cases...
- Response determination criteria for ELISPOT: toward a standard that can be applied across laboratoriesZoe Moodie
Statistical Center for HIV Aids Research and Prevention, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA, USA
Methods Mol Biol 792:185-96. 2012..Nonparametric statistical tests and consideration of data quality are recommended and instructions provided for their ready implementation by nonstatisticians and statisticians alike...
- Assessment monitoring of laboratory critical values: a College of American Pathologists Q-Tracks study of 180 institutionsElizabeth A Wagar
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, 90095 1732, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 131:44-9. 2007Critical laboratory value reporting is a highly visible and essential key activity for clinical laboratories.
- Quality improvement in laboratory medicine: extra-analytical issuesGiuseppe Lippi
Sezione di Chimica e Microscopia Clinica, Dipartimento di Scienze Morfologico Biomediche, Universita degli Studi di Verona, Ospedale Policlinico GB Rossi, Piazzale Scuro, Verona, Italy
Clin Lab Med 28:285-94, vii. 2008..The article focuses on appropriateness of the test request, patient and sample identification, criteria for acceptance and rejection of specimens, and the communication and interpretation of results...
- Laboratory systems and services are critical in global health: time to end the neglect?John N Nkengasong
International Laboratory Branch, Global AIDS Program, Center for Global Health, US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 134:368-73. 2010....
- The influence of an expert system for test ordering and interpretation on laboratory investigationsB J Smith
Acquired Intelligence Inc, No 205 1095 McKenzie Ave, Victoria BC V8P 2L5, Canada
Clin Chem 45:1168-75. 1999..The Laboratory Advisory System (LAS) is an expert system interface that works interactively with clinicians to assist them with test selection and result interpretation throughout the laboratory investigation of a patient...
- Investigation of isolation rates of Pseudomonas aeruginosa with and without multidrug resistance in medical facilities and clinical laboratories in JapanTeruo Kirikae
Department of Infectious Diseases, Research Institute, International Medical Center of Japan, Tokyo 162 8655, Japan
J Antimicrob Chemother 61:612-5. 2008..To perform a large-scale investigation of Pseudomonas aeruginosa strains with and without drug resistance in Japan...
- The detection and prevention of errors in laboratory medicineMario Plebani
Department of Laboratory Medicine, University Hospital of Padova, Padova, Italy
Ann Clin Biochem 47:101-10. 2010The last few decades have seen a significant decrease in the rates of analytical errors in clinical laboratories. Evidence demonstrates that pre- and post-analytical steps of the total testing process (TTP) are more error-prone than the ..
- Immunohistochemical demonstration of oestrogen and progesterone receptors: correlation of standards achieved on in house tumours with that achieved on external quality assessment material in over 150 laboratories from 26 countriesA Rhodes
Department of Histopathology, UCL Medical School, London, UK
J Clin Pathol 53:292-301. 2000..of immunohistochemical (IHC) assays for oestrogen receptors (ER) and progesterone receptors (PR) achieved by laboratories on breast tumours fixed and processed in their own department, and to compare this with the degree of ..
- Data and image transfer using mobile phones to strengthen microscopy-based diagnostic services in low and middle income country laboratoriesCoosje J Tuijn
KIT Royal Tropical Institute Biomedical Research, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 6:e28348. 2011..Distributing diagnostic images over the mobile network for knowledge sharing, feedback or quality control is a logical innovation...
- Implementation of a project-based molecular biology laboratory emphasizing protein structure-function relationships in a large introductory biology laboratory courseDaniel J Treacy
Department of Biochemistry, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA 02454, USA
CBE Life Sci Educ 10:18-24. 2011In introductory laboratory courses, many universities are turning from traditional laboratories with predictable outcomes to inquiry-inspired, project-based laboratory curricula...
- Conservative secondary structure motif of streptavidin-binding aptamers generated by different laboratoriesTao Bing
Beijing National Laboratory for Molecular Sciences, Key Laboratory of Analytical Chemistry for Living Biosystems, Institute of Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100190, China
Bioorg Med Chem 18:1798-805. 2010..motif was further discovered to also exist in streptavidin-binding aptamers (SBAs) selected by three other laboratories using different methods...
- Guidelines on good clinical laboratory practice: bridging operations between research and clinical research laboratoriesJ Ezzelle
PPD Inc, 929 North Front Street, Wilmington, NC 28401 3331, United States
J Pharm Biomed Anal 46:18-29. 2008..compliance with the GCLP standards, monitored annually by external audits, will allow research and development laboratories to maintain data integrity and to provide immunogenicity, safety, and product efficacy data that is repeatable, ..
- Laboratory practices and incidence of non-O157 shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli infectionsKathleen A Stigi
Washington State Department of Health, Shoreline, WA 98155, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 18:477-9. 2012We surveyed laboratories in Washington State, USA, and found that increased use of Shiga toxin assays correlated with increased reported incidence of non-O157 Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli (STEC) infections during 2005-2010...
- Recommendations for diagnosis of shiga toxin--producing Escherichia coli infections by clinical laboratoriesL Hannah Gould
Division of Foodborne, Bacterial, and Mycotic Diseases, National Center for Zoonotic, Vector Borne, and Enteric Diseases, CDC, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
MMWR Recomm Rep 58:1-14. 2009..Guidelines for laboratory identification of STEC infections by clinical laboratories were published in 2006...
- Harmonization of pulsed-field gel electrophoresis protocols for epidemiological typing of strains of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: a single approach developed by consensus in 10 European laboratories and its application for tracing the spreStephen Murchan
Laboratory of Hospital Infection, Central Public Health Laboratory, London NW9 5HT, United Kingdom
J Clin Microbiol 41:1574-85. 2003Pulsed-fieldgel electrophoresis (PFGE) is the most common genotypic method used in reference and clinical laboratories for typing methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)...
- Assaying organochlorines in archived serum for a large, long-term cohort: implications of combining assay results from multiple laboratories over timeRobert I Sholtz
Child Health and Development Studies, Public Health Institute, Berkeley, CA 94709, USA
Environ Int 37:709-14. 2011..compounds and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) in serum from the same birth cohort obtained from different laboratories over time...
- Assessment of commercial laboratories performing hair mineral analysisS Seidel
California Department of Health Services, Environmental Health Investigations Branch, 1515 Clay St, Suite 1700, Oakland, CA 94612, USA
JAMA 285:67-72. 2001Hair mineral analysis is being used by health care practitioners and promoted by laboratories as a clinical assessment tool and to identify toxic exposures, despite a 1985 study that found poor reliability for this test.
- Characterization of clinical isolates of Klebsiella pneumoniae from 19 laboratories using the National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards extended-spectrum beta-lactamase detection methodsC D Steward
Division of Healthcare Quality Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
J Clin Microbiol 39:2864-72. 2001..The remaining 11.5% of the isolates studied contained beta-lactamases that did not demonstrate a CA effect. An algorithm based on phenotypic analyses is suggested for evaluation of such isolates...
- Laboratory compliance with the American Society of Clinical Oncology/college of American Pathologists guidelines for human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 testing: a College of American Pathologists survey of 757 laboratoriesRaouf E Nakhleh
Department of Pathology, Mayo Clinic Florida, Jacksonville, FL 32224, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 134:728-34. 2010..To ensure quality human epidermal growth receptor 2 (HER2) testing in breast cancer, the American Society of Clinical Oncology/College of American Pathologists guidelines were introduced with expected compliance by 2008...
- Cost consequences of implementing an electronic decision support system for ordering laboratory tests in primary care: evidence from a controlled prospective study in the NetherlandsMarten J Poley
Institute for Medical Technology Assessment iMTA, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Chem 53:213-9. 2007..We evaluated the cost consequences of a computer-based, guideline-driven decision-support system (CDSS) for ordering blood tests in primary care...
- Prevalence of estimated GFR reporting among US clinical laboratoriesNancy A Accetta
National Kidney Disease Education Program, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 0001, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 52:778-87. 2008..The current national prevalence of eGFR reporting in clinical laboratories is unknown; thus, the extent of the situation of laboratories not routinely reporting eGFR with serum ..
- Biosafety breaches. Accidents spur a closer look at risks at biodefense labsJocelyn Kaiser
Science 317:1852-4. 2007
- Implications for the use of acid preservatives in 24-hour urine for measurements of high demand biochemical analytes in clinical laboratoriesMárcia C Feres
Psychobiology Department of the Universidade Federal de São Paulo, UNIFESP, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Clin Chim Acta 412:2322-5. 2011..Evaluate the level of interference of biochemists dosages in the 24-hour urine using or not the 6 mol/l HCl acid in different concentrations and conditions and its implications in the most demanded analytes in clinical laboratory...
- Performance of the Vitek MS matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry system for identification of Gram-positive cocci routinely isolated in clinical microbiology laboratoriesHee Won Moon
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Konkuk University School of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
J Med Microbiol 62:1301-6. 2013..of the Vitek MS for identification of Gram-positive cocci routinely isolated in clinical microbiology laboratories. With a total of 424 well-characterized isolates, the results of the Vitek MS were compared to those of ..
- TREAT Asia Quality Assessment Scheme (TAQAS) to standardize the outcome of HIV genotypic resistance testing in a group of Asian laboratoriesSally Land
National Serology Reference Laboratory, Australia
J Virol Methods 159:185-93. 2009..Scheme - designated TAQAS - is to standardize HIV-1 genotypic resistance testing (HIV genotyping) among laboratories to permit rigorous comparison of results from different clinics and testing centres...
- Laboratory assessment of novel oral anticoagulants: method suitability and variability between coagulation laboratoriesTuukka A Helin
Coagulation Disorders Unit, Clinical Chemistry, HUSLAB Laboratory Services, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Clin Chem 59:807-14. 2013..Routine monitoring is unnecessary, but under special circumstances bioactivity assessment becomes crucial. We analyzed the effects of NOACs on coagulation tests and the availability of specific assays at different laboratories.
- Suggested guidelines for immunohistochemical techniques in veterinary diagnostic laboratoriesJose A Ramos-Vara
Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
J Vet Diagn Invest 20:393-413. 2008..of Immunohistochemistry on a set of guidelines for immunohistochemistry (IHC) testing in veterinary laboratories. Immunohistochemistry is a powerful ancillary methodology frequently used in many veterinary laboratories for ..
- Guidelines for safe work practices in human and animal medical diagnostic laboratories. Recommendations of a CDC-convened, Biosafety Blue Ribbon PanelJ Michael Miller
National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases, CDC, USA
MMWR Surveill Summ 61:1-102. 2012Prevention of injuries and occupational infections in U.S. laboratories has been a concern for many years...
- Development of a simple and highly sensitive mutation screening system by enzyme mismatch cleavage with optimized conditions for standard laboratoriesTakanori Tsuji
Department of Pediatrics, Kanazawa University Graduate School of Medical Science, Ishikawa, Japan
Electrophoresis 29:1473-83. 2008..The combination of CEL nuclease, 12% PAGE and rapid silver staining can detect all types of mutations and achieved 100% sensitivity...
- External quality assurance performance of clinical research laboratories in sub-saharan AfricaTIMOTHY K AMUKELE
Dept of Pathology, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Meyer B 125D, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 138:720-3. 2012Patient Safety Monitoring in International Laboratories (JHU-SMILE) is a resource at Johns Hopkins University that supports and monitors laboratories in National Institutes of Health-funded international clinical trials...
- External quality assessment of national public health laboratories in Africa, 2002-2009John Frean
National Institute for Communicable Diseases, National Health Laboratory Service, Johannesburg, South Africa
Bull World Health Organ 90:191-199A. 2012To describe findings from an external quality assessment programme involving laboratories in Africa that routinely investigate epidemic-prone diseases.
- Using a graph of the abnormal predictive value versus the positive predictive value for the determination of outlier laboratories in the National Health Service cervical screening programmeR G Blanks
Cancer Screening Evaluation Unit, Institute of Cancer Research, Sutton, Surrey, UK
Cytopathology 21:379-88. 2010..The current target is to examine 'outlier' laboratories with PPVs outside the 10th-90th percentile, which automatically identifies 20% of laboratories for further ..
- African regional external quality assessment for CD4 T-cell enumeration: development, outcomes, and performance of laboratoriesDeborah K Glencross
Department of Molecular Medicine and Haematology, University of the Witwatersrand, Faculty of Health Sciences and the South African National Health Laboratory Service, Johannesburg, South Africa
Cytometry B Clin Cytom 74:S69-79. 2008..The aim was to establish a network of CD4 laboratories supporting HIV/AIDS anti-retroviral therapy programs and improve the quality of regional CD4 testing with EQA ..
- Roles of laboratories and laboratory systems in effective tuberculosis programmesJohn C Ridderhof
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Bull World Health Organ 85:354-9. 2007b>Laboratories and laboratory networks are a fundamental component of tuberculosis (TB) control, providing testing for diagnosis, surveillance and treatment monitoring at every level of the health-care system...
- A prospective, multicenter study of laboratory cross-contamination of Mycobacterium tuberculosis culturesRobert M Jasmer
San Francisco General Hospital Medical Center and University of California, San Francisco, California 94110, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 8:1260-3. 2002..cultures of Mycobacterium tuberculosis that resulted from laboratory cross-contamination was conducted at three laboratories in California. Laboratory cross-contamination accounted for 2% of the positive cultures...
- Intra- and interlaboratory variability of allergen-specific IgE levels in atopic dogs in three different laboratories using the Fc-epsilon receptor testingNina Thom
Department of Clinical Studies, Veterinary Faculty, Justus Liebig University, Giessen, Germany
Vet Immunol Immunopathol 133:183-9. 2010..Aim of the study was to evaluate intra- and interlaboratory variability in three independent laboratories. Duplicate serum aliquots from 15 atopic dogs were submitted simultaneously to 3 laboratories (LA, LB, LC), ..
- 'But obviously not for me': robots, laboratories and the defiant identity of elder test usersLouis Neven
Department of Science, Technology and Policy Studies, University of Twente, The Netherlands
Sociol Health Illn 32:335-47. 2010....
- Challenges and opportunities in the adoption of College of American Pathologists checklists in electronic format: perspectives and experience of Reporting Pathology Protocols Project (RPP2) participant laboratoriesLewis A Hassell
Department of Pathology, University of Oklahoma Health Science Center, Oklahoma City, OK 73104, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 134:1152-9. 2010....
- Survey of sexually transmitted disease laboratory methods in US Army laboratoriesSeung Eun Lee
Armed Forces Health Surveillance Center, Silver Spring, MD 20910 7500, USA
Sex Transm Dis 37:44-8. 2010..Although surveillance programs are in place to capture event data, no routine STD surveillance program captures laboratory test information...
- Blinded, multicenter quality control study for the quantification of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 RNA in plasma by the Belgian AIDS reference laboratoriesG Muyldermans
Belgian AIDS Reference Laboratories, Academisch Ziekenhuis Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Brussels Universiteé Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels
Clin Microbiol Infect 6:213-7. 2000In order to evaluate the interlaboratory variation of HIV-1 RNA measurements in plasma, the Belgian AIDS reference laboratories organized a blinded multicenter quality control study.
- Medical laboratories in sub-Saharan Africa that meet international quality standardsLee F Schroeder
From Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA and
Am J Clin Pathol 141:791-5. 2014A recent survey of laboratories in Kampala, Uganda, demonstrated that only 0.3% of laboratories (3/954) met international quality standards...
- Improving quality management systems of laboratories in developing countries: an innovative training approach to accelerate laboratory accreditationKaty Yao
International Laboratory Branch, Global AIDS Program, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 134:401-9. 2010..Management Toward Accreditation (SLMTA) program was developed to promote immediate, measurable improvement in laboratories of developing countries...
- MODS accreditation process for regional reference laboratories in Peru: validation by GenoType® MTBDRplusJ Coronel
Laboratorio de Investigación de Enfermedades Infecciosas, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 14:1475-80. 2010..against which implementing laboratory MODS results were judged to ensure that, prior to use for patient care, implementing laboratories achieved the same high performance with MODS as previously demonstrated in the research laboratory.
- Estimation of the rate of unrecognized cross-contamination with mycobacterium tuberculosis in London microbiology laboratoriesM Ruddy
Department of Medical Microbiology, Royal Free and University College Medical School, London NW3 2PF, United Kingdom
J Clin Microbiol 40:4100-4. 2002..A total of 2,779 samples representing 2,500 individual patients from 56 laboratories were examined. Analysis of these samples revealed a laboratory cross-contamination rate of between 0...
- PlasmaDNA: a free, cross-platform plasmid manipulation program for molecular biology laboratoriesAlexandre Angers-Loustau
Institute of Biomedicine, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
BMC Mol Biol 8:77. 2007..Like all forms of engineering, perfect information about the starting material is crucial for successful completion of design and strategies...
- Present status of serum lipid levels in Beijing professional populations and its trend of changes over 15 years--a collaborative study of seven research and clinical laboratories in BeijingJian zhai Li
Lipid Research Laboratory, Beijing Institute of Geriatrics, Beijing Hospital, Beijing 100730, PR China
Clin Chim Acta 352:199-207. 2005....
- The GATO gene annotation tool for research laboratoriesA Fujita
Instituto de Quimica, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Braz J Med Biol Res 38:1571-4. 2005..GATO can be downloaded at [http://mariwork.iq.usp.br/gato/]. Minimum computer free space required is 2 MB...
- External quality assessment of a DNA sequence-based scheme for epidemiological typing of Legionella pneumophila by an international network of laboratoriesBaharak Afshar
Respiratory and Systemic Infection Laboratory, Health Protection Agency, Centre for Infections, 61 Colindale Avenue, London NW9 5EQ, United Kingdom
J Clin Microbiol 45:3251-6. 2007We report the results of an international external quality assessment (EQA) program to assess the performance of laboratories in genotyping Legionella pneumophila isolates using the standard European Working Group for Legionella ..
- Use of a standardised checklist to assess peripheral sputum smear microscopy laboratories for tuberculosis diagnosis in UgandaM Aziz
German Leprosy Relief Association National Tuberculosis and Leprosy Control Programme, Kampala, Uganda
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 6:340-9. 2002..TB diagnostic units in Uganda...
- Culture methods of allograft musculoskeletal tissue samples in Australian bacteriology laboratoriesKerry Varettas
South Eastern Area Laboratory Services, Microbiology Department, CSB Level 3, The St George Public Hospital, Gray St, Kogarah, Sydney, NSW, 2217, Australia
Cell Tissue Bank 14:609-14. 2013Samples of allograft musculoskeletal tissue are cultured by bacteriology laboratories to determine the presence of bacteria and fungi...
- Impact of horizontal approach in vertical program: continuous quality improvement of malaria and tuberculosis diagnostic services at primary-level medical laboratories in the context of HIV care and treatment program in EthiopiaFrancesco Marinucci
Institute of Human Virology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 88:547-51. 2013..tools (LQITs) were developed and applied for 18 months at five health centers and one faith-based hospital laboratories in Southwest Showa Zone in Ethiopia to assess and monitor the quality of malaria and acid-fast bacilli (AFB) ..
- Laboratory network of excellence: enhancing patient safety and service effectivenessMario Plebani
Department of Laboratory Medicine, University Hospital of Padova, Padova, Italy
Clin Chem Lab Med 44:150-60. 2006Clinical laboratories have undergone major changes due to technological progress and economic pressure...
- Laboratory-acquired severe acute respiratory syndromePoh Lian Lim
Department of Infectious Diseases, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Singapore
N Engl J Med 350:1740-5. 2004
- Culturing stool specimens for Campylobacter spp., Pennsylvania, USANkuchia M M'ikanatha
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Founders 7 046, 3400 Spruce St, Philadelphia, PA 19104 4283, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 18:484-7. 2012In 2010, we surveyed 176 clinical laboratories in Pennsylvania regarding stool specimen testing practices for enteropathogens, including Campylobacter spp. Most (96.3%) routinely test for Campylobacter spp. In 17 (15...
- A new liquid homogeneous assay for HDL cholesterol determination evaluated in seven laboratories in Europe and the United StatesM Nauck
University Hospital Freiburg, Department of Clinical Chemistry, Germany
Clin Chem Lab Med 37:1067-76. 1999..homogeneous assay for the direct measurement of high density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C Plus) in seven laboratories. The assay includes two reagents which can be readily used in most available clinical chemistry analyzers...
- European external quality control study on the competence of laboratories to recognize rare sequence variants resulting in unusual genotyping resultsJanos Marki-Zay
European Commission, Joint Research Centre, Institute for Reference Materials and Measurements, Geel, Belgium
Clin Chem 55:739-47. 2009..Because such rare variants are known for many genes commonly tested in diagnostic laboratories, we organized a proficiency study to assess their influence on the accuracy of reported laboratory results.
- An investigative, cooperative learning approach to the general microbiology laboratoryKyle Seifert
Departments of Biology, Western Virginia Community College, Roanoke, VA 24038 4007, USA
CBE Life Sci Educ 8:147-53. 2009..Furthermore, this group of students thought that the quality of this investigative lab experience was much better than that of any of their previous lab experiences...
- The current status of HIV screening laboratories in Korea assessed by a questionnaire survey of participants in the KCDC HIV EQAS (2006)J S Wang
Centre for Immunology and Pathology, Korea National Institute of Health, Nok bun, dong Eunpyung Gu, Korea
Clin Microbiol Infect 16:482-7. 2010Using a questionnaire, we assessed the current status of the quality management systems at HIV screening laboratories in Korea...
- Analysis of inadequate cervical smears using Shewhart control chartsWayne N Harrison
Walsall Teaching Primary Care Trust, Lichfield House, WS1 1TE, UK
BMC Public Health 4:25. 2004..Furthermore, the proportion of inadequate smears is known to vary widely amongst providers. This study investigates this variation using Shewhart's theory of variation and control charts, and suggests strategies for addressing this...
- Quantitative morphometry of hippocampal pyramidal cells: differences between anatomical classes and reconstructing laboratoriesRuggero Scorcioni
Krasnow Institute for Advanced Study, George Mason University, Fairfax, Virginia 22030, USA
J Comp Neurol 473:177-93. 2004..Several laboratories routinely reconstruct CA3 and CA1 dendrites to correlate their three-dimensional structure with biophysical, ..
- A survey of stool culturing practices for vibrio species at clinical laboratories in Gulf Coast statesN N Marano
Foodborne and Diarrheal Diseases Branch, Division of Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
J Clin Microbiol 38:2267-70. 2000..We report a survey of laboratory stool culturing practices for Vibrio among randomly selected clinical laboratories in Gulf Coast states (Alabama, Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas)...
- Intraplatform reproducibility and technical precision of gene expression profiling in 4 laboratories investigating 160 leukemia samples: the DACH studyAlexander Kohlmann
Munich Leukemia Laboratory, Munich, Germany
Clin Chem 54:1705-15. 2008..Gene expression profiling has the potential to offer consistent, objective diagnostic test results once a standardized protocol has been established. We investigated the robustness, precision, and reproducibility of microarray technology...
- [Networks of National Reference Centers and associated Consiliary Laboratories in Germany]G Laude
Abt für Infektionsepidemiologie, Robert Koch Institut, DGZ Ring 1, 13086, Berlin, Deutschland
Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz 55:223-30. 2012..Ministry of Health in Germany has increased the funding of National Reference Centers (NRC) and Consiliary Laboratories (CL) for laboratory-based surveillance of selected infection pathogens and infectious disease syndromes...
- Hemolytic Anemia: Biochemical, Molecular and Proteomic DiagnosticsJeffrey S Friedman; Fiscal Year: 2010..The diagnostic challenge in red cell enzyme disorders is exemplified by a failure (even in the most experienced laboratories) to establish a diagnosis in more than 3/4 of cases examined...
- STATISITICAL DESIGN, MONITORING &COORD. OF VISION CLINICAL TRIALS &EPIDEMIOLOGYKeri Hammel; Fiscal Year: 2013..Information supplied to the testing laboratories includes a unique identification number, the patient gender, and the patient date of birth...
- STATISITICAL DESIGN, MONITORING &COORD. OF VISION CLINICAL TRIALS &EPIDEMIOLOGYKeri Hammel; Fiscal Year: 2012..Information supplied to the testing laboratories includes a unique identification number, the patient gender, and the patient date of birth...
- High Throughput Genotyping and DNA Sequencing for Studying the Genetic ContributiSonia Dua; Fiscal Year: 2013..access to CIDR services to have SNP genotyping data generated in a laboratory that has received CLIA (Clinical Laboratories Improvement Amendments) certification. The menu of CLIA approved services may expand...
- Pilot and definitive studies to evaluate Insertional MutagenesisLU TAYLOR; Fiscal Year: 2012..Variability Study: RNA is being isolated from sentinel Fischer 344 rats of varying ages from two different laboratories to determine the variability of Differential Gene Expression (DGE) in liver...
- Studies to Evaluate the Toxicological Potential of Test ArticlesLU TAYLOR; Fiscal Year: 2010..Variability Study: RNA is being isolated from sentinel Fischer 344 rats of varying ages from two different laboratories to determine the variability of Differential Gene Expression (DGE) in liver...
- Tyrosine Availability Influences Mesocortico-Limbic CatecholaminesGEORGE EUGENE JASKIW; Fiscal Year: 2012..Data from our own and other laboratories, however, show that tyrosine supply can affect dopamine...
- Ang II and Aldosterone Effects on Insulin Resistance in Cardiovascular TissueJAMES RUSSELL SOWERS; Fiscal Year: 2013..In our preliminary investigation, as well as in work from other laboratories, the redox-sensitive Ser kinase Rho kinase (ROK), has surfaced as a potentially important mediator of Ang II ..
- ROLE OF Rac AND REACTIVE OXYGEN SPECIES IN KAPOSI'S SARCOMA VIRAL ONCOGENESISEnrique A Mesri; Fiscal Year: 2013..Essential to this work is the creation of animal models of the disease. Two laboratories of UM/SCCC we have succeeded in generating such a models and identifying a host gene named Rac that by itself ..
- Effect of PPARy Ligands on Alcohol-Induced Alveolar Macrophage Oxidative StressSamantha M Yeligar; Fiscal Year: 2013..During post- doctoral training in the laboratories of Drs...
- Induction and maintenance of regulatory T cellsMitchell Kronenberg; Fiscal Year: 2013..The principal investigators have laboratories In proximity and they interact extensively...
- Targeting Inflammation for the Amelioration of Cisplatin-Hearing LossVickram Ramkumar; Fiscal Year: 2011..Recent findings from our laboratories indicate that TRPV1 and NOX3 can increase the activity of signal transducers and activators of transcription (..
- Mitochondrial Dysfunction and Adipose Insulin ResistanceDavid A Bernlohr; Fiscal Year: 2013..This application will profile new and compelling findings from our laboratories using animal and cell culture models that establish a molecular linkage between the antioxidant defense system ..
- Preclinical Development of JS-K, a Novel NO-Generating Prodrug for CancerPaul J Shami; Fiscal Year: 2012..JS-K has potent and broad anticancer activity against solid tumors and hematologic malignancies in multiple laboratories but shows no toxicity against normal bone marrow, making it critically important to the future of cancer ..
- Molecular Markers for Progression of Pulmonary Fibrosis in Systemic SclerosisShervin Assassi; Fiscal Year: 2013..The candidate and his mentors also have ongoing collaborations with the CCTS Core Laboratories and Clinical Research Units at the UTHSC-H...
- Role for Na,K-ATPase in Nucleoplasmic Calcium HomeostasisCraig Gatto; Fiscal Year: 2010..g. glucose, amino acids). Recently, several laboratories have reported that in addition to solute transport, the Na,K-ATPase is a cell-surface receptor for cardiac ..
- Mitochondrial dysfunction, oxidative stress, and surgical acute kidney injuryFREDERIC TREMAINE BILLINGS; Fiscal Year: 2013..Medical Center operating rooms, intensive care units, and clinics, and in Division of Clinical Pharmacology laboratories. As Associate Dean for Clinical and Translational Scientist Development from 2006-2010, the candidate's ..
- Hospital - Based Surveillance of Acute Febrile Illness in Western Ghat Region ofARUNKUMAR GOVINDAKARNAVAR; Fiscal Year: 2013..Hospital laboratories routinely perform Gram stain, glucose/protein levels, cell count, and bacterial culture (where media/reagents ..
- Purkinje Origin of Ischemic Ventricular Tachycardia and FibrillationJames B Martins; Fiscal Year: 2013..Clinical laboratories have confirmed focal VT by recording endocardial signals at the origin of VT and VF in patients with acute ..
- Targeting CC-Chemokine Receptor 7 for the prevention of graft-versus-host diseaseJAMES M COGHILL; Fiscal Year: 2013..As a result, laboratories are actively exploring new approaches for treating this difficult disorder. Recently Dr...
- Alzheimer's Disease TherapeuticTrevor P Castor; Fiscal Year: 2012..These studies will be conducted by a CRO such as Southern Research Institute or Covance Laboratories. As part of our commercialization effort, Aphios Corporation will also establish a wholly owned subsidiary ..
- Role of Peroxidasin in Glomerular Matrix HomeostasisGautam Bhave; Fiscal Year: 2013..The division has 14 NIH funded laboratories with over 13 million dollars in annual NIH funding and is one of only nine NIH George O'Brien Kidney ..
- Role of stearoyl CoA desaturase-1 in TLR5 KO mice colitis and metabolic syndromeMatam Vijay Kumar; Fiscal Year: 2013..low-grade chronic inflammation and metabolic syndrome has been recently established in our and other laboratories. Specifically, our studies demonstrate that mice lacking toll-like receptor 5 (TLR5), which is predominantly ..
- Novel Reagents and Methods for Rapid and High Throughput Detection of Aflatoxin CALAN AI PING WEI; Fiscal Year: 2013..The intent of PA-11-335 is "to help move useful technologies from non-commercial laboratories into the commercial marketplace by inviting SBIR grant applications from small businesses for further ..
- Mechanisms of Neutralizing Antibody Resistance in Chronic HCV and HIV InfectionJUSTIN RICHARD BAILEY; Fiscal Year: 2013..Environment: The investigations described in this proposal will be performed in the laboratories of Dr Stuart Ray, a Professor in the Infectious Diseases Division at Johns Hopkins Hospital and an ..
- Mitochondrial Dysfunction and Adipose Insulin ResistanceDAVID BERNLOHR; Fiscal Year: 2009..This application will profile new and compelling findings from our laboratories using animal and cell culture models that establish a molecular linkage between the antioxidant defense system ..
- The Somatotropic Axis and Health Aging: A Search for MechanismsAndrzej Bartke; Fiscal Year: 2013..Studies conducted by the applicants during the last 10 years, together with results obtained in other laboratories, have provided unequivocal evidence that GH deficiency and GH insensitivity in mice are associated with a ..
- Yale Drug Abuse, Addiction, and HIV Research Scholars (Yale-DAHRS)PATRICK O'CONNOR; Fiscal Year: 2013..medicine, pediatrics, obstetrics and gynecology, psychiatry, and psychology;(5) Established clinical research laboratories, including the Yale-New Haven Hospital, a tertiary care center for southern New England and a community ..
- New therapeutics for the treatment of Acinetobactor baumannii infections.ALLEN BERNARD REITZ; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our laboratories at the University of Pennsylvania and RMH Sciences specialize in targeting the oxidative phosphorylation (..
- Computer/Electrical EngineeringTheodore Raphan; Fiscal Year: 2011..Also install and maintain new operating systems and applications software to keep the laboratories at the cutting edge of technological development and troubleshoot problems as they arise.
- Neuroprotection by IFN-beta in AIDSMarcus Kaul; Fiscal Year: 2013..Research in our and other laboratories strongly suggests that neurodegeneration occurs as a consequence of HIV-1 infection and neurotoxic immune ..
- Pluripotent stem cell-derived HSCs: improvements and molecular mechanismsPatrick Cahan; Fiscal Year: 2013..lab at Boston Children's Hospital in the Division of Hematology/Oncology, which is also home to the laboratories of Drs...
- PRE- AND POSTGRADUATE TRAINING IN MOLECULAR HEMATOLOGYJ Evan Sadler; Fiscal Year: 2013..Postdoctoral Ph.D. trainees from around the world apply to participating laboratories;postdoctoral M.D. and M.D./Ph.D...
- ANALYSIS OF TRYPANOSOME MRNA SYNTHESIS BY GENE TRANSFERVivian Bellofatto; Fiscal Year: 2010..protein factors and DNA sequences will be determined by in vitro transcription studies developed in several laboratories, including our own, in combination with protein-protein and protein-DNA interaction studies...
- Epidemiology and Etiology of Hospitalized Pneumonia in ChildrenKrow Ampofo; Fiscal Year: 2010..The University of Utah, in collaboration with the Associated and Regional University Pathologists Laboratories and Research Enterprise, as well as Idaho Technology, Inc., is uniquely suited to address this problem...
- Intranasal CNS delivery of drugs against organophosphorous threat agentsARYAN MANGALAM NAMBOODIRI; Fiscal Year: 2013..of drugs is a highly innovative approach to bypass BBB and efforts along these lines are underway in many laboratories. The proposed intranasal brain delivery technique using nanoemulsion needs to be investigated for protection ..
- Moffitt Skin Cancer SPOREJeffrey S Weber; Fiscal Year: 2013..is to promote progress in the prevention and treatment of cutaneous malignancies based on developments in our laboratories that are applied to innovative clinical trials...
- Regulation of PTHrP in Squamous Cell Carcinoma by the EGF ReceptorGWENDOLEN LORCH; Fiscal Year: 2010..The laboratories of Thomas Rosol, D.V.M., Ph.D. (sponsor) and John Foley, Ph.D...
- Integrin Regulation of Stretch-Activated Myometrial Signaling During Pregnancy anHeather R Burkin; Fiscal Year: 2013..Prior to my PhD I was fortunate to work in three highly regarded laboratories with research focuses ranging from molecular biology to population genetics to Pathology...
- Integrin Regulation of Stretch-Activated Myometrial Signaling During Pregnancy anHeather R Burkin; Fiscal Year: 2012..Prior to my PhD I was fortunate to work in three highly regarded laboratories with research focuses ranging from molecular biology to population genetics to Pathology...
- Mechanisms of Early Growth Response Factor 1 (Egr-1) Induction by HSV-1 Lytic InfSHAOCHUNG VICTOR HSIA; Fiscal Year: 2010..The interaction between virus and host cells is being investigated extensively by many laboratories. Our data demonstrated that HSV-1 can rapidly induce the expression of multi-functional transcriptional factor ..
- Protein composition and interactions of telemeric chromatinMichael P Killoran; Fiscal Year: 2010..For example, weekly meetings with other groups in the Renato Dulbecco Cancer laboratories that focuses on the molecular basis of human health issues...
- Expanded Testing Methods for Elements and Metals in Animal Diagnostic SpecimensTimothy Baszler; Fiscal Year: 2013..The consortium of veterinary diagnostic 13 laboratories from Washington, Idaho, Wyoming, and Utah included in this proposal have 14 extensive experience animal ..
- Use of Phosphodiesterase Inhibitors to Evaluate the Pathobiology of CFJENNIFER L TAYLOR-COUSAR; Fiscal Year: 2013..Additionally, she demonstrated an exceptional ability to bridge scientists from multiple institutions and laboratories during her fellowship project. In a short period of time after she assumed her first faculty position, Dr...
- RNA interference therapy for Huntington's disease: studies in non-human primatesBeverly L Davidson; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed studies are a collaboration between two laboratories: the Davidson Laboratory at the University of Iowa and the Ojeda Laboratory at the Oregon National Primate ..
- Developing miRNA diagnostic methods and identifying tumor regulatory networksThomas Tuschl; Fiscal Year: 2010..localization of miRNAs and at the same time adapt these methods for use in automated platforms of diagnostic laboratories, and clarify miRNA regulatory networks in cancer cell lines, by adapting our recently developed method for ..
- Defining the molecular determinants of the threshold for autoimmune arthritisLih Yun Hsu; Fiscal Year: 2013..will gain expertise in trafficking of autoreactive T cells as well as autoimmunity/immune tolerance through the laboratories of Drs. Matloubian, Abbas, and Anderson...
- Real-Time Optical Diagnosis of Inflammatory Bowel Disease using SFDISylvain Gioux; Fiscal Year: 2013..Recent developments in the mentor's and co-mentor's laboratories provide ultra-fast, non-contact imaging of tissue optical properties during open surgery...
- Aligned Tendon or Ligament Derived Matrix Nanoscaffolds for Rotator Cuff RepairDianne Little; Fiscal Year: 2013..by the candidate for successful completion of this proposal are already available in the Orthopaedic Research Laboratories in the Department of Surgery, and the candidate has 100% protected time, with no administrative, clinical or ..
- StAR expression: Integration of Transcription with regulation via the mRNA 3'UTRCOLIN ROBERT JEFCOATE; Fiscal Year: 2012..This work will bring together several laboratories to provide a first look at the interplay between PKA, SF-1, and TIS11b (or factors related to each), which is ..
- Evaluating the role of histone H3K79 methylation states in DNA damage repair in SJeffrey S Thompson; Fiscal Year: 2010..each of the three summers covered by this award, as well as one additional student per summer to work in the laboratories of Dr. Karolin Luger and Dr...
- Electron Transfer in Iron and Copper ProteinsJay R Winkler; Fiscal Year: 2013..Despite extensive investigations in many laboratories, questions remain regarding the nature of the active hydroxylating reagent in these enzymes: ferryl species (i...
- A Rapid Point-of-care Diagnostic for C.trachomitis STDsRICHARD F contact SELDEN; Fiscal Year: 2010..days for results (especially with batch processing), and are usually confined to major clinical or reference laboratories. They are also unable to differentiate between invasive lymphogranuloma venereum (LGV) versus non-invasive ..
- Studying a novel regulator of GBM tumorigeneis: the role of CK2alpha in maintainiGordon Li; Fiscal Year: 2013..My location two floors above my mentor, Dr. Wong, and next door to the Department of Neurosurgery laboratories will facilitate active mentoring and growth during the grant period. Dr...
- Leptin as a Regulator of T Cell Metabolism and FunctionNANCIE MACIVER; Fiscal Year: 2013..an Office for Faculty Development, open collaboration between University departments, and state-of-the-art laboratories and animal housing facilities...
- GLUTAMATE TRANSPORTERS IN THE CNSMICHAEL BYRNE ROBINSON; Fiscal Year: 2011..This project represents a collaborative effort between two laboratories that have contributed to our understanding of the biochemical, pharmacologic, anatomic, and pathophysiologic ..
- Inducible Macrophage Specific Gene Expression in DiseasesJEANINE M D apos ARMIENTO; Fiscal Year: 2010..This macrophage-specific Cre- expressing Apoe knockout model will be made available to laboratories studying the function of macrophages in atherosclerosis...
- CD4+ T cells in Invasive AspergillosisAmariliz Rivera; Fiscal Year: 2012..Gause and Salgame will be Amariliz's career development mentors. Both scientists have well-funded laboratories and are tenured-professors who have successfully trained other junior faculty...
- Validation of Novel Infertility BiomarkerPETER SUTOVSKY SUTOVSKY; Fiscal Year: 2012..Objective, automated methods for sperm analysis exist but are expensive and confined to specialized reference laboratories, as opposed to an inexpensive doctor's office fertility test...
- Misregulation of receptor tyrosine kinase signaling in PKDJordan A Kreidberg; Fiscal Year: 2013..Despite an enormous amount of intensive study in many laboratories, the mechanism of cyst formation remains incompletely understood...
- Regulation of Signaling Receptor Activity by LRP-1Steven L Gonias; Fiscal Year: 2013..Recent studies from this and other laboratories have provided novel mechanistic links between LRP-1-initiated cell-signaling and inflammation, cell survival, ..
- Arsenic co-carcinogenesis with UVR: nitrosation and oxidation of target proteinsKe Jian Liu; Fiscal Year: 2013..Data generated by our laboratories and others indicate selectivity for arsenic binding to zinc finger structures and we find that arsenic- bound, ..
- Predictors of sleep-dependent Memory Consolidation in Obstructive Sleep ApneaIna E Djonlagic; Fiscal Year: 2013..Both laboratories are part of a rich network of dynamic research scientists and are under the umbrella of the Division of Sleep ..
- Regional Biocontainment LaboratoryCharles Bailey; Fiscal Year: 2007..The facility, designed for maximum flexibility, will incorporate Biosafety Level (BSL)2 and BSL3 laboratories, with supporting animal research laboratories, aerobiology suites, a vivarium for small animals andnon- human ..
- MT VET COBRE II CORE A: ADMINISTRATIVE COREMark T Quinn; Fiscal Year: 2011..Biology Section at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, located at the Rocky Mountain Laboratories in Hamilton, MT. Dr...
- Signal transduction in TRPM5-expressing olfactory sensory neuronsDiego Restrepo; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposal is a collaboration between the laboratories of Juan Bacigalupo at the University of Chile and the laboratory of Diego Restrepo at the University of ..
- NKT Cells Immunotherapy: Targeting Dendritic Cells with Glycolipid LiposomesPeng Wang; Fiscal Year: 2007..SPECIFIC AIMS This research program combines expertise from three different laboratories at The Ohio State University and an industry partner to work on the first proof of concept for liposomal ..
- Behavioral Health Informatics Capacity-Building in ChinaRobert Friedman; Fiscal Year: 2009..provided by applicant): This FIRCA proposal has the goal of establishing behavioral informatics research laboratories and research capacity in China...
- CNV Atlas of Human DevelopmentRonald Wapner; Fiscal Year: 2010..The large number of cytogenomic array tests now being performed by clinical cytogenetics laboratories presents an unusual and timely opportunity to capture large datasets from patient populations to contribute to ..
- TRAINING PROGRAM IN GENETICS AND GENOMICSWilliam Gelbart; Fiscal Year: 2006..MCB) and Organismic and Evolutionary Biology (OEB), on the Arts and Sciences campus, include the Biological Laboratories, Sherman Fairchild Biochemistry Building, Museum of Comparative Zoology and Herbarium, and,within two years, a ..
- MOLECULAR AND CELLULAR REGULATION OF TOLERANCEYongwon Choi; Fiscal Year: 2010..bridge the three projects, thereby facilitating synergy and increasing the scientific scope of the individual laboratories. Dr. Chris Hunter has been incorporated as a new member of the Program Project. Dr...
- I D AND EVALUATION OF NOISE IN VOC ED LABORATORIESGlen Miller; Fiscal Year: 1990Vocational education laboratories such as Trade & Industrial Education, Industrial Arts Education, and Agricultural Education, are equipped with tools and machinery which duplicate those used in the industry for which students are ..
- RENOVATION OF NINTH FLOOR OF BURNETT-WOMACKWILLIAM ROPER; Fiscal Year: 2004..life safety systems to modern codes; extend the usable life of the building for 30 more years; modernize the laboratories and improve the general quality of the interior spaces...