hospital psychiatric department
Summary: Hospital department responsible for the organization and administration of psychiatric services.
Publications210 found, 100 shown here
- [Present status and problems in psychiatric care in cooperation with emergency medical services at the general hospital without psychiatric ward]Takami Suenaga
Seishin Shinkeigaku Zasshi 107:864-9. 2005
- Caring for people in the 'virtual ward': the practical ramifications for acute nursing workM Deacon
The Department of Health Care Studies, The Manchester Metropolitan University, Manchester, UK
J Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs 10:465-71. 2003..Working within the virtual ward is part of the messy reality of nurses' work. It is argued that understanding and respecting this reality is necessary if we are to be seriously and consistently ambitious about practice development...
- What is the effectiveness of acute hospital treatment of older people with mental disorders?Brian Draper
School of Psychiatry and School of Public Health and Community Medicine, University of NSW, Sydney, Australia
Int Psychogeriatr 17:539-55. 2005..To appraise the effectiveness of acute hospital service delivery in old age psychiatry...
- [Direct costs of acute day hospital care: results from a randomized controlled trial]Thomas W Kallert
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie, Universitätsklinikum Carl Gustav Carus an der Technischen Universität Dresden
Psychiatr Prax 32:132-41. 2005..This paper aims to close this research gap for German speaking countries...
- Social deprivation and psychiatric service use for different diagnostic groupsJ Peen
Section Research and Development, Mentrum Mental Health Organization, Amsterdam, Netherlands
Soc Sci Med 53:1-8. 2001..As was found in previous studies, the relationship with socio-economic deprivation varies according to diagnosis. The average length of stay and the risk of readmission, given the diagnosis, do not vary according to level of deprivation...
- Quantitative EEG findings in patients with acute, brief depression combined with other fluctuating psychiatric symptoms: a controlled study from an acute psychiatric departmentMarte Helene Bjørk
Department of Neurology and Clinical Neurophysiology, St Olavs Hospital, Trondheim, Norway
BMC Psychiatry 8:89. 2008..We wanted to study whether these patients had signs of more epileptic or organic brain dysfunction than patients with depression without additional symptomatology...
- Absconding: A review of the literature 1996-2008Eimear Muir-Cochrane
School of Nursing and Midwifery, Flinders University, Adelaide, South Australia
Int J Ment Health Nurs 17:370-8. 2008..Further research is required to identify appropriate nursing-based interventions that may prove useful in reducing the risk of absconding...
- Quantification of factors contributing to length of stay in an acute psychogeriatric wardB Draper
Academic Department of Psychogeriatrics, Prince Henry Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 13:1-7. 1998..To identify variables that predict length of stay (LOS) in an acute psychogeriatric ward; quantify psychiatric, medical and social factors that contribute to LOS; and identify factors that prolong LOS...
- Absconding behaviour: an exploratory investigation in an acute inpatient unitT Meehan
Queensland University of Technology, Wolston Park Hospital, Wacol, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 33:533-7. 1999..The aim of this study is to identify patient and environmental characteristics associated with absconding behaviour, and to gain an understanding of the behaviour from the patients' perspective...
- Symptoms of epilepsy and organic brain dysfunctions in patients with acute, brief depression combined with other fluctuating psychiatric symptoms: a controlled study from an acute psychiatric departmentArne E Vaaler
Department of Neuroscience, Norwegian University of Science and Technology NTNU, Trondheim, Norway
BMC Psychiatry 9:63. 2009..The aims of the present study were to compare clinical signs of organic brain dysfunctions and epilepsy in patients with AUDS and Major Depressive Episode (MDE)...
- Predicting length of stay in an acute care hospital: the role of psychosocial problemsJ Keefler
Montreal General Hospital, Montreal, QC, Canada
Soc Work Health Care 33:1-16. 2001..Workers found clients had significantly more problems related to their social role functioning than problems in the environment...
- Classifying psychiatric inpatients: seeking better measuresJ Durbin
Health Systems Research Unit, Clarke Division, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Med Care 37:415-23. 1999..In recognition of the fact that many patient factors, in addition to diagnosis influence delivery of care in psychiatry, new measures of patient need are emerging...
- Medical disorders among patients admitted to a public-sector psychiatric inpatient unitLorrin M Koran
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science, OCD Clinic, Stanford University Medical Center, Room 2363, 401 Quarry Road, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Psychiatr Serv 53:1623-5. 2002..5 percent of the patients, respectively. Patients admitted to psychiatric inpatient units should be carefully evaluated for physical disease...
- Patients' opinion on what constitutes good psychiatric careHakan Johansson
Division of Psychiatry, Lund University Hospital, Eslov, Sweden
Scand J Caring Sci 17:339-46. 2003..The findings emphasize the importance and quality of the therapeutic relationship and point to the incorporation of psychotherapeutic principles in all provider-patient relationships in general psychiatric care...
- [Operative data of a psychiatric inpatient unit of general hospital during one year]Pablo Richly
Hospital Teodoro Alvarez, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Vertex 17:182-7. 2006..Due to the scarcity of data and psychiatric inpatient beds in general hospitals it is a priority to generate information about the service provided in an inpatient unit of a general hospital...
- Aboriginal mental health workers and the improving Indigenous mental health service delivery model in the 'Top End'Tricia Nagel
Top End Mental Health Services, Royal Darwin Hospital, Rocklands Drive, Tiwi, NT, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 14:291-4. 2006..The Australian Integrated Mental Health Initiative Northern Territory Indigenous stream (AIMHI NT) is introduced...
- Psychiatric disorders and psychiatric consultation in a general hospital: a case- control studySumaia Inaty Smaira
Department of Neurology and Psychiatry of the Medical School of the State University of São Paulo UNESP Botucatu, SP, Brazil
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 25:18-25. 2003....
- [Critical evaluation of the current status of general hospital psychiatry in Japan]Nobuo Kuroki
Toho University, Sakura Hospital, Psychiatric Medicine Research Department
Seishin Shinkeigaku Zasshi 105:595-600. 2003..In this article, the author describe the current problems in mental care and discuss about the topics concerning general hospital psychiatry in Japan...
- The premature demise of public child and adolescent inpatient psychiatric beds : Part II: challenges and implicationsJeffrey L Geller
Department of Psychiatry, University of Massachusetts Medical School, 55 Lake Avenue North, Worcester, MA 01655, USA
Psychiatr Q 77:273-91. 2006....
- Consultation-liason psychiatry in FijiHenry Aghanwa
Fiji School of Medicine, Suva, Fuji
Pac Health Dialog 9:21-8. 2002..To examine and report the characteristics of the patients seen on the consultation-liaison (C-L) psychiatry in the main general hospital in Fiji-Islands...
- [Treatment of psychiatric patients with serious physical co-morbidity: administrative model in Tokyo]Jun Shigemura
Department of Psychiatry, Tachikawa Hospital
Seishin Shinkeigaku Zasshi 105:339-45. 2003..While this system still has many problems to be solved, it may become a model administrative system for other governments to apply and provide hints for effective treatment of med/psych cases...
- Differential aspects of consultation-liaison psychiatry in a Saudi hospital. II: knowledge and attitudes of physicians and patientsA M Alhamad
Department of Psychiatry, College of Medicine, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
East Mediterr Health J 12:324-30. 2006....
- Patients' experience of humiliation in the admission process to acute psychiatric wardsMarit F Svindseth
Department of Psychiatry, Sunnmore Hospital, 6026 Aalesund, Norway
Nord J Psychiatry 61:47-53. 2007..In contrast, the conviction that "the admission was not right", which showed the strongest association with humiliation, seems less modifiable in the admission process...
- Inpatient diagnostic assessments: 3. Causes and effects of diagnostic imprecisionPaul R Miller
Department of Psychiatry, School of Medical Sciences, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90046, USA
Psychiatry Res 111:191-7. 2002..7 days for CADI patients, a reduction of 4.8 days (12.5-7.7). If CADI replaced TDA, then annual savings of 3,000,000 dollars system-wide could be projected for inpatient care. Remedies for TDA's diagnostic imprecision are proposed...
- The use of intramuscular midazolam in an acute psychiatric unitBradley Ng
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 37:111-2. 2003
- Take a numberScott D Smith
Minn Med 90:26-30. 2007
- [What do patients expect from a psychiatric department at a general hospital?]Hermann Spiessl
Klinik und Poliklinik für Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie der Universität am Bezirksklinikum Regensburg, Germany
Psychiatr Prax 29:417-9. 2002..The study aimed to investigate the expectations of patients of a psychiatric department at a general hospital regarding their inpatient care...
- Use of a routine outcome measure in a consultation-liaison mental health serviceTom Trauer
Department of Psychiatry, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 12:139-44. 2004..The problem severity of patients seen by a psychiatric consultation- liaison service was studied through the use of a routine outcome measure...
- Employing behavioral methods to improve the context of care in a public psychiatric hospital: some applications to health care managementDennis C Donat
Western State Hospital, Psychology Department, Staunton, VA 24402, USA
Psychiatr Rehabil J 27:177-81. 2003..The potential of these procedures for administering health care provision as well as the challenges encountered in realizing such applications are discussed...
- Economic grand rounds: Variation in staffing and activities in psychiatric inpatient unitsJerry Cromwell
Research Triangle Institute, 411 Waverley Oaks Road, Suite 330, Waltham, Massachusetts 02452, USA
Psychiatr Serv 57:772-4. 2006..Small general adult and geriatric units required 50 percent more staff time per patient than large units. More research is needed to determine how recent changes in the method of payment affect these facilities...
- Whole systems working and acute inpatient psychiatry: an exploratory studyN Bowles
University of Bradford, UK
J Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs 12:283-9. 2005....
- [The implementation process of a new model of intensive rehabilitation in a hospital setting: the development of an innovative practice within the context of integration of settings, services and treatment models]Yves Careau
Psychologue, Division des soins continus et spécialisés du Centre hospitalier Douglas
Sante Ment Que 30:11-29. 2005..Future challenges include the pursuit of integration of treatment models, of settings and services within the context of the hierarchy of mental health care in Québec...
- [Gerontopsychiatric problems in a consultation-liaison practice]Gabor Gazdag
Szent László Kórház, Addiktologiai es Pszichiatriai Ambulancia, Budapest
Neuropsychopharmacol Hung 7:140-5. 2005..With the increasing number of the elderly patients, number of appearing gerontopsychiatric problems in consultation work is also growing...
- Patients' satisfaction with hospitalization in a mixed psychiatric and somatic care unitAriel Eytan
Department of Psychiatry, Geneva University Hospitals, Belle Idee, 2 chemin Petit Bel Air, 1225 Geneva, Switzerland
Eur Psychiatry 19:499-501. 2004....
- [Unit for psychotherapy at the clinic for psychiatry and psychotherapy Bayreuth]Manfred Wolfersdorf
Psychiatr Prax 31:S85-7. 2004....
- [Acute psychiatric day hospital treatment: is the effectiveness of this treatment approach still questionable?]Thomas W Kallert
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie, Universitatsklinikum Carl Gustav Carus, Technische Universitat Dresden
Psychiatr Prax 31:409-19. 2004....
- [Who comes from where and who goes where? Treatment methods for psychiatric inpatients]B Hübner-Liebermann
Klinik und Poliklinik für Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie der Universität am Bezirksklinikum Regensburg, Universitätsstrasse
Nervenarzt 76:856, 858-62, 864. 2005..The small number of patients referred by general practitioners and psychiatrists in private practice has to become the focus of quality management...
- Acute psychiatric admissions from an out-of-hours Casualty Clinic; how do referring doctors and admitting specialists agree?Trygve S Deraas
Psychiatric Centre for Tromsø and Karlsøy, University Hospital of North Norway, Tromsø, Norway
BMC Health Serv Res 6:41. 2006....
- [Admissions to five general hospital psychiatric wards in Naples, Italy]Massimo Morlino
Epidemiol Psichiatr Soc 15:77-83. 2006
- Geographical variation in acute psychiatric admissions within New York City 1990-2000: growing inequalities in service use?Michael Almog
Wagner Graduate School of Public Service, New York University, USA
Soc Sci Med 59:361-76. 2004....
- [Management of suicidal adolescents: a clinical audit in 76 hospitals]R Bouet
Universite Lyon 1, Service au CH Le Vinatier
Encephale 31:567-73. 2005..Although the hospitals taking part in the audit endorsed our method, our experience showed that, to be effective, clinical audits need methodological support and a well-defined time schedule...
- Supplementary prescribing: potential ways to reform hospital psychiatric careA Jones
Psychiatric Nursing, North East Wales NHS Trust, Wrexham, UK
J Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs 13:132-8. 2006..Findings from this exploratory study offer practical solutions to how supplementary prescribing could work on acute psychiatric wards...
- Closing doors on acute psychiatric units: time to change?Jon Gudeman
Psychiatr Serv 56:1047. 2005
- [Operative data of a psychiatric internation unit in a general hospital of health public system in Buenos Aires City]Sergio Strejilevich
Servicio de Psicopatología del Hospital General de Agudos P Piñero, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Vertex 13:85-92. 2002..This situation is particularly worring in our region. The poor operative data in relation to the care of the mental disorders prevent the elaboration of plans on the basis of secure data...
- Acute psychiatric inpatient care for people with a dual diagnosis: patient profiles and lengths of stayPhilip Burge
Queen s University, Department of Psychiatry, Kingston, ON K7L 3N6
Can J Psychiatry 47:243-9. 2002..It also compares differences in lengths of stay between admissions of this group with a comparison sample of inpatient admissions without DD...
- Misdiagnosed delirium in patient referrals to a university-based hospital psychiatry departmentSusan E Swigart
Department of Psychiatry, University of Minnesota, MN, USA
Psychosomatics 49:104-8. 2008..The ramifications of failure to diagnose existing delirium include increased morbidity and mortality, longer length of hospital stay, and increased healthcare costs...
- Referrals to a liaison psychiatry out-patient clinic in a UK general hospital: a report on 900 casesC Bass
Department of Psychological Medicine, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, UK
Acta Psychiatr Scand 105:117-25. 2002..To describe the demographic and clinical characteristics of consecutive referrals to an out-patient liaison psychiatry clinic in a large university hospital in the UK...
- Psychiatric admission in a general hospital. Patients profile and patterns of service utilization over a decadeMahdi S Abumadini
Department of Psychiatry, College of Medicine, King Faisal University, PO Box 40101, Al Khobar 31952, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Saudi Med J 23:44-50. 2002..To analyze the socio-demographic and clinical characteristics of admitted patients and the patterns of their service utilization over a decade from March 1988 to March 1998...
- [Psychiatric service in general hospital]V N Prokudin
Zh Nevrol Psikhiatr Im S S Korsakova 102:63-7. 2002..1% of the patients, improvement in 52% ones, insignificant improvement in 36%. In 2.9% of the cases, the effect of treatment has not been achieved...
- Inpatient utilization for persons with co-occurring disordersJoan Dilonardo
Thomson Healthcare, Washington, DC, USA
Psychiatr Serv 59:14. 2008
- An urban Italian study on emergency room utilisation by immigrants suffering from mental disorders in Rome, 2000-2004A Gaddini
Agency for Public Health, Lazio Region, Rome, Italy
Eur Psychiatry 23:118-24. 2008..To evaluate the predictors of admission to psychiatric and to non-psychiatric wards...
- [Medical services reform and changed of some patients' movement coefficients in psychiatric hospitals]Józef Zajac
Katedry i Kliniki Psychiatrii AM we Wrocławiu
Psychiatr Pol 36:201-10. 2002..These changes are rather caused by the realisation of the reform, and precisely adaptative mechanisms of the subjects to Health Insurances requirements...
- Clinical and nonclinical predictors of test ordering in psychiatric emergencyCédric Lemogne
CPOA, Sainte Anne Hospital, 75014 Paris, France
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 30:356-9. 2008..This naturalistic prospective study explored the predictors of laboratory test ordering in a psychiatric emergency department...
- [Survey of five years psychiatric consultations in a university general hospital]B Carpiniello
Dipartimento di Sanità Pubblica Sezione di Psichiatria, Universita di Cagliari, Via Liguria 13 09127 Cagliari
Clin Ter 153:85-91. 2002..6% of cases. Approx. 60% of patients were prescribed psychoactive drugs; 50% received psychological support...
- [Dual diagnosis in psychiatric inpatients: prevalence and general characteristics]Roberto Rodríguez-Jiménez
Unidad de Alcoholismo y Patología Dual, Servicio de Psiquiatria, Hospital Universitario 12 de Octubre, Madrid, Espana
Invest Clin 49:195-205. 2008..1%), cannabis (62.5%), and cocaine (51.6%). Due to the high prevalence and repercussions of dual diagnosis, it would be advisable to have specialized therapeutic programs for its treatment...
- Outcome evaluation of a statewide child inpatient mental health unitSusana Gavidia-Payne
Victorian Parenting Centre, 24 Drummond Street, Carlton South, Victoria 3053, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 37:204-11. 2003..To assess the impact of inpatient intervention, provided by a child mental health unit in Victoria, Australia, on a number of key child and family variables...
- [Clinical characteristics of children and adolescent hospitalized in a university psychiatric clinic]Bernardo Pacheco P
Departamento de Psiquiatria, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile
Rev Med Chil 135:751-8. 2007..Five percent of children and adolescents consults in mental health services in one year. Approximately one every ten children has a mental health problem...
- [Person-related treatment in psychiatric hospitals and beyond--combining practice and economy]Heinrich Kunze
Klinik für Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie Merxhausen, Germany
Psychiatr Prax 34:150-3. 2007
- Moving to a purpose built acute psychiatric unit on a general hospital site--does the new environment produce change for the better?L Feeney
Department of Adult Psychiatry, Cluain Mhuire Mental Health Services, Blackrock, Co Dublin
Ir Med J 100:391-3. 2007..It is likely that the more pleasant, better designed and less stigmatising environment of the new unit together with the renewed energy and optimism of clinical staff contributed to the changes observed...
- [Characteristic features of female murderers]Mariusz Patla
Oddziału Obserwacji Sadowo Psychiatrycznej Szpitala AS w Krakowie
Arch Med Sadowej Kryminol 55:206-8. 2005..41 women were abused before murder. Only in 7% of cases pathological abnormalities in CNS were not observed. In the examined group 5% were classified as insane...
- [Report on the survey conducted on health care-receiving process in psychiatric care]Masumi Takashima
Seishin Shinkeigaku Zasshi 109:940-7. 2007
- [Consequences of decentralization on the basis of a psychiatric department in the upper austrian salzkammergut]Christoph Silberbauer
LKH Gmundnerberg und LKH Vöcklabruck, Psychiatrische Abteilung, Germany
Psychiatr Prax 29:424-30. 2002..To describe the changes of utilization of a psychiatric department following its decentralization into an Upper Austrian region, the Salzkammergut...
- Not all women fancy single-sex wardsV Pemmaraju
Br J Psychiatry 188:396. 2006
- Patients' satisfaction with psychiatric inpatient careYulia Remnik
Yehuda Abarbanel Mental Health Center, Bat Yam, Israel
Isr J Psychiatry Relat Sci 41:208-12. 2004..Patient satisfaction with medical treatment is important, and although in mental health the literature on the topic is scant, awareness of the issue is rapidly growing...
- Liaison psychiatry for older people--an overlooked opportunityPeter Crome
Age Ageing 34:536; author reply 536-7. 2005
- Improving outcomes with community-wide distribution of health care dataRonald J Lagoe
Hospital Executive Council, Syracuse, NY, USA
Health Care Manage Rev 29:67-76. 2004..These efforts produced increased accessibility of hospital emergency departments and greater efficiency of acute and long-term care...
- [Validation of the QFS measuring the frequency and satisfaction in social behaviours in psychiatric adult population]A Zanello
Departement de Psychiatrie, Hopitaux Universitaires de Geneve, 2, chemin du Petit Bel Air, CH 1225 Chene Bourg, Suisse
Encephale 32:45-59. 2006....
- Reinventing performance evaluationsLori Ashcraft
Recovery Education Center, META Services, Inc, Phoenix, USA
Behav Healthc 27:12-3. 2007
- Mortality in psychiatric patients 5 to 21 years after hospital admission in ItalyP Politi
Universita di Pavia, Servizio Psichiatrico di Diagnosi e Cura, IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, ASL, Italy
Psychol Med 32:227-37. 2002..The aims of this study were: to quantify the mortality risk in psychiatric patients 5 to 21 years after hospital admission and to investigate temporal trends in mortality risk and predictive factors associated with mortality...
- Imperative ideals and the strenuous reality: focusing on acute psychiatryJ K Hummelvoll
Hedmark College, Department of Nursing Education, N-2418 Elverum, Norway
J Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs 8:17-24. 2001..The demand on treatment effectiveness seems to promote a medical model in the daily work, even though a humanistic and existential approach can be traced in the nurses' caring philosophy...
- Composite descriptions associated with rare MMPI two-point code types: codes that involve scale 5B A Tanner
Detroit Receiving Hospital and University Health Center, MI 48201
J Clin Psychol 46:425-31. 1990....
- [Alarm in Hungarian psychiatry and clinical psychopharmacology]Peter Gaszner
Neuropsychopharmacol Hung 9:49-50. 2007
- Psychiatric and social outcomes of a rural district general hospital in the 1990sDaphne Habibis
School of Sociology and Social Work, University of Tasmania, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
Int J Ment Health Nurs 11:154-63. 2002..However, the results fall short of what research tells us can be achieved when services are adequately funded and more specifically targeted to meet patient needs...
- Psychiatric care behind locked doors. A study regarding the frequency of and the reasons for locked psychiatric wards in SwedenK Haglund
Department of Public Health and Caring Sciences, Section of Caring Sciences, University Hospital, University of Uppsala, SE 751 85 Uppsala, Sweden
J Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs 14:49-54. 2007..Staff working in psychiatric care ought to reflect upon and articulate reasons for, and decisions about, locking or opening entrance doors, with the limitation of patients' freedom in mind...
- [Alarming reduction in the psychiatric treatment capacity of general hospitals in the Netherlands between 1998 and 2006]A F G Leentjens
Tijdschr Psychiatr 51:395-9. 2009..Psychiatric wards in both general and academic hospitals are ideally suited to provide integrated care to patients with psychiatric and somatic comorbidity...
- [The Alliance Programme: an integrated care pathway for patients with schizophrenia]Bent Nielsen
Psykiatrisk afdeling, Odense Universitetshospital, DK 5000 Odense C
Ugeskr Laeger 170:3764-7. 2008..Experiences and results of implementation of an integrated care pathway (ICP) for patients with schizophrenia are described...
- Preventing suicidal behaviour in a general hospital psychiatric service: priorities for programmingPaul S Links
Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
Can J Psychiatry 50:490-6. 2005..We completed this literature review to suggest priorities for programming...
- Developing the role of advanced nurse practitioners in mental healthMaria Gilfedder
Mental Health Services, NHS Ayrshire and Arran, Ailsa Hospital, Ayr
Nurs Stand 24:35-40. 2010..The competency framework that the ANPs need to complete is discussed as well as the challenges faced in developing the service...
- Shell shock at Maghull and the Maudsley: models of psychological medicine in the UKEdgar Jones
Institute of Psychiatry, Weston Education Centre, London, UK
J Hist Med Allied Sci 65:368-95. 2010..The design and operation of Maghull and the Maudsley provided models for departments of psychological medicine in the post-war period...
- Factors related to admission of psychiatric patients to medical wards from the general hospital emergency department: a 3-year study of urgent psychiatric consultationsBruno Biancosino
University of Ferrara and Department of Mental Health, Ferrara, Italy
Int J Psychiatry Med 39:133-46. 2009....
- Mental health and medical challenges. Management of a depressed patient with a left ventricular assist system in an inpatient psychiatric settingNancy Tylus-Earl
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Program, East Wing II, Sharp Mesa Vista Hospital, 7850 Vista Hill Avenue, San Diego, CA 92123, USA
J Psychosoc Nurs Ment Health Serv 47:43-9; quiz 51. 2009..This article highlights an unusual psychiatric-mental health nursing situation to help others who may face this challenge in the future...
- Association between staff factors and levels of conflict and containment on acute psychiatric wards in EnglandLen Bowers
Department of Mental Health and Learning Disability, City University, Philpot St, Whitechapel, London E1 2EA, United Kingdom
Psychiatr Serv 60:231-9. 2009..The aim of this study was to test this theory...
- Effects of introducing a critical path method to standardize treatment and nursing for early discharge from acute psychiatry unitKazuyo Kusaka
Department of Mental Health and Psychiatric Nursing, Graduate School of Health Sciences, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Japan
J Nurs Manag 14:69-80. 2006..From these, it was suggested that the introduction of critical path method in the acute-care unit psychiatry had possibility to aim at standardization of treatment and nursing and patients' early discharge from hospitals...
- Foreign objects in the vagina of a mentally ill woman: case seriesYuval Melamed
Lev Hasharon Mental Health Center, Netanya 42100, Affiliated to Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 29:270-2. 2007..Reports of the insertion of foreign objects to the vagina by psychiatric patients are scant. We present two such cases...
- Understanding the milieu experiences of patients on an acute inpatient psychiatric unitCatherine A Thibeault
Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Arch Psychiatr Nurs 24:216-26. 2010..The authors share selected narrative accounts to generate new understanding of patient experiences and suggest that the inpatient psychiatric milieu remains an important but often neglected component of psychiatric treatment...
- A retrospective study of weight changes and the contributing factors in short term adult psychiatric inpatientsJames L Megna
Department of Psychiatry, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY 13210, USA
Ann Clin Psychiatry 18:163-7. 2006..The authors endeavored to determine if there is significant weight gain during acute psychiatric inpatient hospitalization for adults and, if so, what are the contributing factors...
- A comparison of psychiatric consultation liaison services between hospitals in the United States and JapanYasuhiro Kishi
Department of Psychiatry, University of Minnesota, MN, USA
Psychosomatics 48:517-22. 2007....
- [The psychiatric department of the general hospital in community mental health care]Christian Spaemann
Klinik für Psychische Gesundheit, Krankenhaus St Josef, Braunau Inn, Austria
Wien Med Wochenschr 156:73-8. 2006..We describe psychiatric departments in general hospitals, how they specialize in responding to the needs of a particular region, and how they relate to community mental health services and general health care...
- Characteristics of obstetrical inpatients referred to a consultation-liaison psychiatry service in a tertiary-level university hospitalEileen P Sloan
Department of Psychiatry, Perinatal Mental Health Unit, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Arch Womens Ment Health 11:327-33. 2008..Inpatient perinatal C-L psychiatric services require creative approaches to the accurate identification and treatment of women at risk for antenatal and postpartum mental illness due to psychiatric history and/or reproductive crises...
- [What can Norwegian psychiatry learn from Italy?]Knut J Lunde
Froland legesenter, 4820 Froland
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 128:208-10. 2008
- A cross-sectional survey of the frequency and characteristics of delusions in acute psychiatric wardsVlasios Brakoulias
University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 16:87-91. 2008..The aim of this paper was to ascertain the frequency and characteristics of delusions across several acute psychiatric wards...
- Hospitalization of patients with eating disorders on adolescent medical units is threatened by current reimbursement systemsJennifer L Kalisvaart
Section of Adolescent Medicine and Sports Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Texas Children s Hospital, Houston, Texas 77030 2399, USA
Int J Adolesc Med Health 19:155-65. 2007..Although successful treatment of eating disorders on medical units has occurred for at least thirty years, some insurance companies refuse payment for such care...
- Establishing and running a trauma and dissociation unit: a contemporary experienceWarwick Middleton
The Cannan Institute, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 12:338-46. 2004....
- How well do automated performance measures assess guideline implementation for new-onset depression in the Veterans Health Administration?Teresa L Kramer
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences UAMS, Little Rock, Arkansas, USA
Jt Comm J Qual Saf 29:479-89. 2003..This study examined whether the Veterans Health Administration's (VHA's) electronic medical record database could identify valid cases of new-onset depression...
- The challenges of mental health care reform for contemporary mental health nursing practice: relationships, power and controlMichelle Cleary
Central Sydney Area Mental Health Service CSAMHS, PO Box 1, Rozelle, NSW 2039, Australia
Int J Ment Health Nurs 12:139-47. 2003..The discussion reveals nurses negotiating relationships that are contradictory and challenging in ordinary and everyday ways within the exigencies of daily practice...
- Expansion of the consultation-liaison psychiatry paradigm at a university medical center: integration of diversified clinical and funding modelsJames A Bourgeois
University of California, Davis Medical Center, Department of Psychiatry, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 25:262-8. 2003..Other university medical centers may consider adaptation of some of the initiatives described here to their institutions...
- [Outbreak of human calicivirus infection in a hospital department]G Reuter
Orv Hetil 142:459-63. 2001..6%) ill persons. This is the first HuCV-associated hospital outbreak of gastroenteritis in Hungary where HuCV was successfully detected by molecular method and its etiologic role was also supported by epidemiologic investigation...
- Psychiatric care reaching a crisisLee E Emory
Tex Med 100:5. 2004
- The setting of psychiatric care for medicare recipients in general hospitals with specialty unitsS L Ettner
Department of Medicine, Division of General Internal Medicine and Health Services Research, School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, 90095 1736, USA
Psychiatr Serv 52:237-9. 2001..Those who were older, admitted through the emergency department, or had greater medical morbidity or primary diagnoses other than schizophrenia or bipolar or major affective disorders were less likely to be treated on the unit...
- Identification and treatment of substance misuse on an inpatient psychiatry unitJudith J Prochaska
Department of Psyciatry, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143 0984, USA
Psychiatr Serv 56:347-9. 2005..Changes in assessment of and treatment planning for psychiatric inpatients may increase attention to substance misuse...
- Does prospective payment reduce inpatient length of stay?Edward C Norton
Department of Health Policy and Administration, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 27599 7411, USA
Health Econ 11:377-87. 2002..16 and 0.20. The results were generally robust for short- and long stayers, and for persons admitted early and late after the change in payment mechanism. The model controlled for hospital fixed effects and individual random effects...
- MULTIPLE FAMILY GROUPS FOR LATINOS WITH SCHIZOPHRENIAAlex Kopelowicz; Fiscal Year: 2003..Academic and research activities will take place throughout the award period. ..
- Families and HIV-risk among girls in psychiatric careGeri Donenberg; Fiscal Year: 2007..This study is part of an overall program of research designed to develop effective HIV prevention programs for troubled teens and their families. ..
- Preventing HIV & Drug Use Among Juvenile OffendersGeri Donenberg; Fiscal Year: 2008..This study is part of an overall program of research designed to understand and prevent HIV infection among high-risk youth. ..
- HIV/AIDS RISK IN CLINICALLY DISTURBED ADOLESCENTSGeri Donenberg; Fiscal Year: 2003..This study is a first step in an overall program of research designed to develop effective AIDS prevention programs for troubled adolescents. ..
- Therapeutic Schools: Affect Management & HIV RiskGeri Donenberg; Fiscal Year: 2008..The results are capable of impacting the large number of teens in therapeutic settings treatment as well as informing other interventions with high-risk youth. ..
- Services Interventions for Injured ED Problem DrinkersFrederic Blow; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Brain Abnormalities in Adolescent Bipolar DisorderMelissa Delbello; Fiscal Year: 2006..The research conducted will advance our understanding of the neurophysiology of BPD. ..
- Correlates of Duration of Initial Untreated PsychosisMICHAEL COMPTON; Fiscal Year: 2008..The overall aim of the research project is to provide an in-depth exploration of the potential causes and consequences of initially untreated psychosis among first-episode patients. ..
- Promoting Adherence to Treatment in SchizophreniaAlex Kopelowicz; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Mental Health Services /Criminal Justice Research CenterNancy Wolff; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Costs of Preventing Alcohol Problems in Older AdultsSusan Ettner; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Impact of the Medicare Part D Benzodiazepine Exclusion on Managed Care PatientsSusan Ettner; Fiscal Year: 2008..Our findings will inform the ongoing debate over amending Part D legislation to include BZD coverage by providing objective data to guide policymakers on the likely costs and benefits. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Graduated Recovery Intervention for Early SchizophreniaDavid Penn; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Improving Depression Treatment Adherence & OutcomesHeather Flynn; Fiscal Year: 2005..This research has potential to meaningfully improve medication adherence, enhance outcomes and quality of life, and minimize the terrible morbidity burden experienced among women with depression. ..
- Research Grants to Prevent Unintentional InjuriesCorinne Peek Asa; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable]..
- Tailored Web Program to Reduce At-Risk College DrinkingC Raymond Bingham; Fiscal Year: 2009..If effective, the proposed intervention could be inexpensively modified to deliver effective interventions to large numbers of university students, members of other populations, and to target other health risk behaviors. ..
- Gender Differences in a Follow-up of Opiate Users in CAChristine Grella; Fiscal Year: 2007..The study findings have the potential to develop interventions aimed at opiate users that address the specific needs of males and females over the life course. ..
- CONTEXT AND EFFECTIVENESS OF TWO MODELS OF SVC DELIVERYChristine Grella; Fiscal Year: 2002..These data will provide a multilevel context in which to evaluate the implementation and effectiveness of the two models of service delivery. ..
- Age-Related Services & Outcomes After DUI InterventionsFrederic Blow; Fiscal Year: 2009..This study will provide critical new knowledge regarding the age-related similarities and differences of adults in younger- to mid- to later-life at one of the important junctures in the intervention and treatment engagement process. ..
- CAREER DEVELOPMENT AWARD IN PEDIATRIC PSYCHOPHARMACOLOGYAndres Martin; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- IMPACT OF MENTAL HEALTH ADVANCE DIRECTIVESDebra Srebnik; Fiscal Year: 2004..Multi- stakeholder focus groups will be conducted for Aim 2c. Electronic information systems will provide demographic, diagnostic, level-of-functioning, outpatient commitment status and service utilization data. ..
- Maintenance Treatment Subgroups in Schizophrenia: Longitudinal DataJOHN BOLA; Fiscal Year: 2008..This research project seeks to both improve treatment outcomes and reduce costs by matching subgroups of patients to the most effective treatments. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Spanish Adaptation of the BASIS Mental Health SurveySusan Eisen; Fiscal Year: 2005..The instrument developed from this research will provide an important tool for assessing outcomes of mental health treatment among the Latino population. ..
- Topiramate for Co-occurring Cannabis Use and Bipolar Disorders in AdolescentsMelissa Delbello; Fiscal Year: 2008..The preliminary data from this projectwill inform and guide the design of future larger, more definitive, controlled studies of topiramate as a treatment for adolescent substance use disorders. ..
- Mental Health & Criminal Justice Post-doctoral TrainingNancy Wolff; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Services Interventions for Injured ED Substance AbusersFrederic Blow; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy for Pathological GamblingJon Grant; Fiscal Year: 2008..This award would provide me with the necessary background for further studies in the treatment of pathological gambling and the training for an independent patient-oriented research career. ..
- Tailored Youth Drug Intervention in Primary CareFrederic Blow; Fiscal Year: 2009..g., STD/HIV risk behaviors). This project will provide the critical first step toward the implementation of tailored marijuana prevention and intervention in primary care clinics. ..
- TAILORED ALCOHOL MESSAGES IN THE EMERGENCY DEPARTMENTFrederic Blow; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- ADULT DEPRESSION, SUICIDAL IDEATION AND PERSONALITYPaul Duberstein; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Treatment Patterns, Expenditures and Outcomes in MBHOsSusan Ettner; Fiscal Year: 2005..e., how psychotherapy visits are associated with outcomes and expenditures. Selection models will be used to estimate this relationship for patients with and without drug use. ..
- NETWORK THERAPY DEVELOPMENT, STAGE II WITH BUPRENORPHINEMarc Galanter; Fiscal Year: 2002..In addition, social support for abstinence will be evaluated to determine its predictive effect on treatment outcome. ..
- MAMAS Y BEBES: PREVENTION INTERVENTION DEVELOPMENTRicardo Munoz; Fiscal Year: 2002..Effect sizes on changes in depressive symptoms and their cognitive and behavioral mediators will be obtained for power calculations for the randomized trials. ..
- METHADONE ANONYMOUS--BEHAVIORAL THERAPY DEVELOPMENTMarc Galanter; Fiscal Year: 2003..standard MMT only). The development of the MA manual and results of this evaluation will provide pilot data for preparation of an RO1 proposal. ..
- Evaluation of California Initiatives to Reduce Violence*Corinne Peek Asa; Fiscal Year: 2004..Such evaluations have been identified as a priority in research agendas including NORA and Workplace Violence: A Report to the Nation. ..
- Detecting Depressive Symptoms in Older AdultsPaul Duberstein; Fiscal Year: 2004..Findings will help guide the development of screening instruments, educational and clinical interventions, and surveillance strategies to lessen the public health impact of unrecognized and untreated depression. ..
- Social Information Processing: Assessment DevelopmentEMIL COCCARO; Fiscal Year: 2007..Development of such measures is critical for the further scientific study of SIP and for its integration in neurobiologhical research. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Genetic Correlates of Alcohol Use DisordersLara Ray; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Impulsive Aggression : A Twin Study of Behavior and 5-HTEMIL COCCARO; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Emergency Linkage to Outpatient Psychiatric CareGlenn Currier; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Tailoring Services for Mentally III OffendersRobert Morgan; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed study lays the foundation for a treatment module specifically targeting the criminal behavior needs of mentally ill offenders. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Violence Against Home Health and Hospice WorkersCarri Casteel; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Intermittent Explosive Disorder: A Family StudyEMIL COCCARO; Fiscal Year: 2005..e., relatives of IED probands with and without IED). ..
- Pharmacological Treatment of ADHD in Young ChildrenChristopher Kratochvil; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Fluoxetine and Divalproex:Treatment Correlates in Intermittent Explosive DisorderEMIL COCCARO; Fiscal Year: 2007..Duration of treatment will be twelve weeks. ..