- Overcoming barriers to health service access: influencing the demand side
International Programme, Centre for Health Economics, University of York, York, UK
Health Policy Plan 19:69-79. 2004
..The likely nature of the interventions means that pragmatic policy routes that go beyond the traditional boundaries of the public health sector are required for implementing the findings...
- Family planning: the unfinished agenda
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, WC1 3DP
Lancet 368:1810-27. 2006
..What is currently missing is political willingness to incorporate family planning into the development arena...
- What does 'access to health care' mean?
Department of Public Health Sciences, King s College London, UK
J Health Serv Res Policy 7:186-8. 2002
..Equity of access may be measured in terms of the availability, utilisation or outcomes of services. Both horizontal and vertical dimensions of equity require consideration...
- Predictors of change in unmet supportive care needs in cancer
M E McDowell
School of Psychology, Griffith University, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Psychooncology 19:508-16. 2010
..The present study assessed prospective predictors of unmet supportive care needs in cancer patients over a six-month period...
- Subjective unmet need and utilization of health care services in Canada: what are the equity implications?
Department of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation, University of Toranto, Canada
Soc Sci Med 70:465-72. 2010
- Equity of access to health care services: theory and evidence from the UK
Centre for Health Economics, University of York, Heslington, UK
Soc Sci Med 53:1149-62. 2001
..The theoretical framework and the lessons learned from the UK are of direct relevance to researchers from other countries seeking to examine equity of access in a wide variety of institutional settings...
- Improving chronic illness care: translating evidence into action
E H Wagner
W.A. MacColl Institute for Healthcare Innovation at the Center for Health Studies, Group Health Cooperative of Puget Sound, Seattle, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 20:64-78. 2001
..In this paper we describe the CCM, its use in intensive quality improvement activities with more than 100 health care organizations, and insights gained in the process...
- Population level of unmet need for mental healthcare in Europe
Health Services Research Unit, Institut Municipal d Investigacio Medica, Carrer del Doctor Aiguader, 88 E 08003 Barcelona, Spain
Br J Psychiatry 190:299-306. 2007
..The high prevalence of mental disorders has fuelled controversy about the need for mental health services...
- Twelve-month use of mental health services in the United States: results from the National Comorbidity Survey Replication
Philip S Wang
Department of Health Care Policy, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 62:629-40. 2005
..Dramatic changes have occurred in mental health treatments during the past decade. Data on recent treatment patterns are needed to estimate the unmet need for services...
- Equity in the delivery of health care in Europe and the US
E Van Doorslaer
Department of Health Policy, Erasmus University, Rotterdam, Netherlands
J Health Econ 19:553-83. 2000
..These findings appear to be fairly general and emerge in countries with very diverse characteristics regarding access and provider incentives...
- Going to scale with professional skilled care
ICDDR, B, Centre for Health and Population Research, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Lancet 368:1377-86. 2006
..Teams of providers are the efficient option, creating the possibility of scaling up as much as 10 times more quickly than would be the case with deployment of solo health workers in home deliveries with dedicated or multipurpose workers...
- Impacts on daily performances attributed to malocclusions using the condition-specific feature of the Oral Impacts on Daily Performances Index
University College London, Epidemiology and Public Health, London, UK
Angle Orthod 78:241-7. 2008
..To assess the prevalence, intensity, and extent of sociodental impacts attributed to malocclusions by sex, socioeconomic status, and normative orthodontic treatment need level...
- Changes in unmet health care needs
Social and Economic Studies Division, Statistics Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0T6
Health Rep 13:15-21. 2002
..This article examines recent trends in self-reported unmet health care needs among the household population aged 12 or older, and explores various explanations for the increase observed...
- The nature and correlates of unmet health care needs in Ontario, Canada
Connie Holmes Nelson
Lakehead University, Thunder Bay, Ont, Canada
Soc Sci Med 62:2291-300. 2006
..Thus, to address unmet mental health care needs, efforts should be focused on the acceptability barriers that women and young people in particular face. Enhancing education and certain social support mechanisms are potential strategies...
- Measuring the equity of inpatient utilization in Chinese rural areas
School of Public Policy and Administration, Xi an Jiaotong University, Xi an, China
BMC Health Serv Res 11:201. 2011
..However, previous studies have shown neither the extent of utilization inequity, nor which factors are associated with utilization inequity in rural China...
- Two-tier charging in Maputo Central Hospital: costs, revenues and effects on equity of access to hospital services
Institute for International Health and Development, Queen Margaret University, Queen Margaret University Drive, Musselburgh, EH21 6UU, UK
BMC Health Serv Res 11:143. 2011
- Status of radiotherapy resources in Africa: an International Atomic Energy Agency analysis
International Atomic Energy Agency, Vienna, Austria
Lancet Oncol 14:e168-75. 2013
- Care or not care--that is the question: predictors of healthcare utilisation in relation to employment status
Department of Public Health and Caring Sciences, Social Medicine, Uppsala University, Uppsala Science Park, SE 751 85, Uppsala, Sweden
Int J Behav Med 19:29-38. 2012
..International research shows that there is a higher use of care among the unemployed than among the employed, although the findings on the association between unemployment and healthcare use are not conclusive...
- Demand at the emergency department front door: 10-year trends in presentations
Judy A Lowthian
Centre of Research, Excellence in Patient Safety, Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Monash University, Melbourne, Vic
Med J Aust 196:128-32. 2012
..To measure the increase in volume and age-specific rates of presentations to public hospital emergency departments (EDs), as well as any changes in ED length of stay (LOS); and to describe trends in ED utilisation...
- Access to care for women veterans: delayed healthcare and unmet need
Donna L Washington
VA Greater Los Angeles Health Services Research and Development HSR and D Center of Excellence, Sepulveda, CA, USA
J Gen Intern Med 26:655-61. 2011
..Eliminating access disparities requires a better understanding of the barriers to care that women veterans' experience...
- Equity analysis: identifying who benefits from family planning programs
Reproductive Health, UNFPA, 220 East 42nd Street, New York, NY 10017, USA
Stud Fam Plann 41:101-8. 2010
- Perceived need for treatment for alcohol use disorders: results from two national surveys
Mark J Edlund
Department of Psychiatry, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, 4301 W Markham St, Slot 554, Little Rock, AR 72205, USA
Psychiatr Serv 60:1618-28. 2009
..And second, to investigate the determinants of perceived need for and utilization of treatment for alcohol use disorders...
- Expansion of antiretroviral treatment to rural health centre level by a mobile service in Mumbwa district, Zambia
Mumbwa District Health Office, Mumbwa, Zambia
Bull World Health Organ 88:788-91. 2010
..Strong demands for expanding ART services at the rural health centre level face challenges of resource shortages...
- Patients' supportive care needs and psychological distress in advanced breast cancer patients in Japan
Department of Psychiatry and Cognitive Behavioral Medicine, Nagoya City University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Mizuho cho, Mizuho ku, Nagoya, Aichi 467 8601, Japan
Jpn J Clin Oncol 41:530-6. 2011
- Emergency obstetric care availability: a critical assessment of the current indicator
Institute of Public Health, Ruprecht Karls Universitat, Heidelberg, Germany
Trop Med Int Health 17:2-8. 2012
- The effect of community-based reproductive health communication interventions on contraceptive use among young married couples in Bihar, India
Elkan E Daniel
Pathfinder International India, New Delhi, India
Int Fam Plan Perspect 34:189-97. 2008
..The PRACHAR Project, an ongoing intervention in Bihar, seeks to increase contraceptive use for delaying and spacing births through communication interventions...
- Viewpoint: Why do we need a point-of-care CD4 test for low-income countries?
Medecins Sans Frontieres, Operational Centre Brussels, Operational Research Unit, Medical Department, MSF Luxembourg, Luxembourg
Trop Med Int Health 16:37-41. 2011
..It is high-time that CD4 technology is simplified and adapted for wider use in low-income countries to change the current paradigm of restricted access once and for all...
- The impact of pain on quality of life and the unmet needs of pain management: results from pain sufferers and physicians participating in an Internet survey
Bill H McCarberg
University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
Am J Ther 15:312-20. 2008
..In conclusion, effective communication between physicians and patients is encouraged to not only improve overall pain management but also to establish shared treatment goals with functional outcomes...
- Sexual and gender minority health: what we know and what needs to be done
Kenneth H Mayer
Infectious Diseases Division, The Miriam Hospital, 164 Summit Avenue, Providence, RI 02906, USA
Am J Public Health 98:989-95. 2008
..We then discuss how clinicians and public health professionals can improve research methods, clinical outcomes, and service delivery for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people...
- Determinants of personal demand for an AIDS vaccine in Uganda: contingent valuation survey
Department of Population and Family Health Sciences, Johns Hopkins University, Bloomberg School of Public Health, 615 N Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Bull World Health Organ 82:652-60. 2004
..To assess the factors affecting demand for an HIV/AIDS vaccine among adults in their prime earning and childbearing years and the impact of vaccination on risk behaviour in a high-prevalence, low-income country...
- Emergency medical care in developing countries: is it worthwhile?
Junaid A Razzak
Department of Surgery, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06512, USA
Bull World Health Organ 80:900-5. 2002
..A basic but effective level of emergency medical care responds to perceived and actual community needs and improves the health of populations...
- Assessing the unmet information, support and care delivery needs of men with prostate cancer
Eric W Boberg
Center for Health Systems Research and Analysis, University of Wisconsin Madison, 1119 WARF, 610 Walnut Street, Madison, WI 53705, USA
Patient Educ Couns 49:233-42. 2003
..The greatest Unmet Needs for information were in knowledge of recurrence issues and in side effects of the illness and its treatment...
- Age, health, and education determine supportive care needs of men younger than 70 years with prostate cancer
David P Smith
Cancer Epidemiology Research Unit, Cancer Council New South Wales, Woolloomooloo, New South Wales, Australia
J Clin Oncol 25:2560-6. 2007
..A population-wide sample of men younger than 70 years and newly diagnosed with prostate cancer was surveyed to determine their unmet needs in five domains and the factors predicting them...
- Health care utilization in Ecuador: a multilevel analysis of socio-economic determinants and inequality issues
Daniel F López-Cevallos
Division of Health Education, Western Oregon University, 345 N Monmouth Ave, Monmouth, OR 97361, USA
Health Policy Plan 25:209-18. 2010
..It is necessary for public health authorities to move forward on a reform that will expand coverage, particularly to indigenous and low- and middle-income households...
- The organization and financing of health services for persons with disabilities
Center for Health and Disability Research, National Rehabilitation Hospital and MedStar Research Institute, Suite 400, 1016 16th Street, NW, Washington, D C 20036, USA
Milbank Q 80:261-301. 2002
..This article outlines the most pressing health service research issues in addressing the health care needs of individuals with disabilities...
- Defining regions for locality health care planning: a multidimensional approach
Niamh K Shortt
Institute of Geography, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh E48 9XP, United Kingdom
Soc Sci Med 60:2715-27. 2005
..The paper considers the future potential use of such a methodology for health care planning and highlights areas for further research in this field...
- Equity in access to total joint replacement of the hip and knee in England: cross sectional study
Department of Social Medicine, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 2PS
BMJ 341:c4092. 2010
..To explore geographical and sociodemographic factors associated with variation in equity in access to total hip and knee replacement surgery...
- Experiences of the new role of advanced practice nurses in Swedish primary health care--a qualitative study
University of Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden
Int J Nurs Pract 16:69-74. 2010
..Further development of the APN role presupposes the right to prescribe medication and order treatments, as well as an evaluation of patient, organizational and inter-professional perspectives on the matter...
- Intervention complexity--a conceptual framework to inform priority-setting in health
Christian A Gericke
Department of Health Care Management, Berlin University of Technology, Berlin, D 10623, Germany
Bull World Health Organ 83:285-93. 2005
..Reducing the technical complexity of interventions will be crucial to meeting the health-related Millennium Development Goals...
- The oral health of psychiatric in-patients in South Wales
Department of Adult Dental Health, University of Wales College of Medicine, Heath Park, Cardiff CF144XY, Wales, UK
Spec Care Dentist 21:182-6. 2001
..The oral hygiene of the dentate population was poor, and there was little periodontal disease. Treatment needs were mainly for scaling and polishing. There were no significant differences found between subgroups within the population...
- Between formal and enacted policy: changing the contours of boundaries
The Gershon H Gordon Faculty of Social Sciences, Department of Sociology and Anthropology, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv, P O B 39040, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
Soc Sci Med 60:1649-60. 2005
..It is a strategy that allows biomedical discourse to absorb its competitor within its professional jurisdiction with no battle, while retaining absolute epistemological hegemony and Institutional Control...
- Self-perceived and unmet general health need among PLWHA in Nigeria
M A Adedigba
Department of Preventive and Community Dentistry, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife 220005, Nigeria
East Afr J Public Health 5:199-204. 2008
..This study set out to determine the self-reported unmet health needs of people living with HIV/AIDS (PLWHA) in a Nigerian population...
- Review of ICT-based services for identified unmet needs in people with dementia
Regional Mental Health Institute GGZ Buitenamstel Geestgronden Alzheimer Center, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Ageing Res Rev 6:223-46. 2007
..It is recommended that future studies also focus on the integration of the current techniques and solutions...
- The need for treatment and satisfaction with dental appearance among young Finnish adults with and without a history of orthodontic treatment
Department of Pedodontics and Orthodontics, University of Helsinki, Finland
J Orofac Orthop 61:330-40. 2000
..The high treatment rate in relation to unnoticed treatment need calls for reevaluation of priorities in patient selection...
- Prevalence of and annual ambulatory health care visits for pediatric arthritis and other rheumatologic conditions in the United States in 2001-2004
Jeffrey J Sacks
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30341 3724, USA
Arthritis Rheum 57:1439-45. 2007
..To estimate the prevalence of and the annual number of ambulatory health care visits for pediatric arthritis and other rheumatologic conditions...
- Polypharmacy in the elderly: a literature review
Maryann M Fulton
J Am Acad Nurse Pract 17:123-32. 2005
- Delays and unmet need for health care among adult primary care patients in a restructured urban public health system
Allison L Diamant
Division of General Internal Medicine and Health Services Research, University of California Los Angeles, 911 Broxton Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1736, USA
Am J Public Health 94:783-9. 2004
..We estimated the prevalence and determinants of delayed and unmet needs for medical care among patients in a restructured public health system...
- A qualitative study on detecting cancer symptoms and seeking medical help; an application of Andersen's model of total patient delay
J De Nooijer
Department of Health Education and Promotion, Maastricht University, P O Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
Patient Educ Couns 42:145-57. 2001
..It is recommended that educational materials be disseminated to the general public via more channels, including non-medical channels...
- Prediction of appropriate timing of palliative care for older adults with non-malignant life-threatening disease: a systematic review
Peter A Coventry
School of Nursing, Midwifery and Social Work, The University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PL, UK
Age Ageing 34:218-27. 2005
..Objective referral criteria based on accurate estimation of survival may facilitate more timely referral of non-cancer patients most appropriate for specialist palliative care...
- Unmet needs for health care
Health Statistics Division, Statistics Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0T6
Health Rep 13:23-34. 2002
..This analysis examines the prevalence of self-reported unmet needs for health care and the extent to which they were attributable to perceived problems with service availability or accessibility or acceptability...
- Vulnerability and unmet health care needs. The influence of multiple risk factors
Department of Health Policy and Management, Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
J Gen Intern Med 20:148-54. 2005
..Most studies have examined the independent effects of these risk factors for poor access, but more practical models are needed to account for the clustering of multiple risks...
- Access as a policy-relevant concept in low- and middle-income countries
Department of Public Health and Family Medicine, Health Economics Unit, University of Cape Town, Observatory, South Africa
Health Econ Policy Law 4:179-93. 2009
..Such systemic analyses can inform policy-makers about the 'fit' between needs for health care and receipt of care, and provide the basis for developing policies that promote improvements in the empowerment to use care...
- The development and evaluation of a measure to assess cancer survivors' unmet supportive care needs: the CaSUN (Cancer Survivors' Unmet Needs measure)
Westmead Centre for Gynecological Cancer, Westmead Hospital, NSW, Australia
Psychooncology 16:796-804. 2007
..Many cancer survivors experience ongoing morbidity over the survivorship continuum and their supportive care needs have yet to be comprehensively assessed...
- Reducing the unmet needs of patients with colorectal cancer: a feasibility study of The Pathfinder Volunteer Program
Michelle L Macvean
The Cancer Council Victoria, 1 Rathdowne Street, Carlton, Victoria, 3053, Australia
Support Care Cancer 15:293-9. 2007
..This paper describes a volunteer-delivered intervention to reduce the psychosocial needs of cancer patients and presents findings from a feasibility study of this intervention...
- Rapid assessment methods in eye care: an overview
Allen Foster Community Eye Health Research Centre, International Centre for Advancement of Rural Eye Care, L V Prasad Eye Institute, L V Prasad Marg, Banjara Hills, Hyderabad, India
Indian J Ophthalmol 60:416-22. 2012
..RA survey methods are typically linked with an intervention. This article provides an overview of the RA methods commonly used in eye care, and emphasizes the selection of appropriate methods based on the local need and context...
- The health of migrant children in Switzerland
Fabienne N Jaeger
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK
Int J Public Health 57:659-71. 2012
..Over 22 % of children and adolescents living in Switzerland have a migrant background. The aim of this systematic literature review is to give an overview of health needs of paediatric migrants in Switzerland...
- Do young adults have unmet healthcare needs?
Emily G Marshall
Department of Family Medicine, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
J Adolesc Health 49:490-7. 2011
..To examine whether: (1) young adults (18-30 years) are more likely to report unmet need compared with others; and (2) predisposing, enabling, need, and social support factors are associated with unmet need...
- Equity of access to health care: outlining the foundations for action
London School of Economics, London, UK
J Epidemiol Community Health 58:655-8. 2004
..This article provides a brief description of the relevance of the access principle of equity, and summarises the research programme that is necessary for turning the principle into a useful, operational policy objective...
- Achieving continuity of care: facilitators and barriers in community mental health teams
Institute of Strategic Leadership and Service Improvement, Faculty of Health and Social Care, London South Bank University, 103 Borough Rd, London SE10AA, UK
Implement Sci 6:23. 2011
..The aim of this study was to identify and explore facilitators and barriers perceived to influence continuity of care by health and social care professionals working in and closely associated with CMHTs...
- Unmet needs, quality of life and support networks of people with dementia living at home
School of Psychology, Universidad de Valparaiso, Av Brasil 2140, Valparaiso, Chile
Health Qual Life Outcomes 8:132. 2010
..The main aim of this study was to identify the relationship between unmet needs, social networks and quality of life of PWD living at home...
- Investigating unmet health needs in primary health care services in a representative sample of the Greek population
Faculty of Social Sciences, Hellenic Open University, Riga Fereou 169 and Tsamadou, Patras 26222, Greece
Int J Environ Res Public Health 10:2017-27. 2013
..It is believed that unmet health needs will continue to increase, which will widen inequalities in health and health care access...
- Beating the barriers: recruitment of people with intellectual disability to participate in research
Queensland Centre for Intellectual and Developmental Disability, School of Population Health, Faculty of Health Sciences, The University of Queensland, Mater Hospital, South Brisbane, Queensland, 4101 Australia
J Intellect Disabil Res 49:296-305. 2005
..There are several barriers to performing this research. The aim of our research was to examine the significant barriers encountered in recruiting adults with ID to participate in research...
- Treatment-seeking behaviour, cost burdens and coping strategies among rural and urban households in Coastal Kenya: an equity analysis
Kenya Medical Research Institute, Kilifi, Kenya
Trop Med Int Health 12:673-86. 2007
- Saving the lives of South Africa's mothers, babies, and children: can the health system deliver?
Health Systems Research Unit, Medical Research Council, Cape Town, South Africa
Lancet 374:835-46. 2009
..The costs are affordable and the key gap is leadership and effective implementation at every level of the health system, including national and local accountability for service provision...
- Implementation science of pre-exposure prophylaxis: preparing for public use
Department of Community Health, Brown University, Providence, RI 02912, USA
Curr HIV/AIDS Rep 7:210-9. 2010
..The lessons from PrEP planning can benefit the scale-up of future combination interventions...
- The supportive care needs of men with prostate cancer (2000)
S K Steginga
School of Applied Psychology, Griffith University, Australia
Psychooncology 10:66-75. 2001
..Interventions in sexuality, psychological concerns and informational support are priorities for men with prostate cancer...
- Linguistic and cultural barriers to care
Division of General Medicine and Primary Care, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Mass 02215, USA
J Gen Intern Med 18:44-52. 2003
..Primarily because of immigration, Asian Americans are one of the fastest growing and most ethnically diverse minority groups in the United States. However, little is known about their perspectives on health care quality...
- Dental health and treatment needs in institutionalized psychiatric patients in Italy
I F Angelillo
Department of Hygiene, University of Reggio Calabria, Catanzaro, Italy
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 23:360-4. 1995
..More coordinated efforts between the social and dental care sector must be maintained to serve adequately the need of this disadvantaged group...
- Critical appraisal of health literacy indices revealed variable underlying constructs, narrow content and psychometric weaknesses
Joanne E Jordan
Department of Medicine, Centre for Rheumatic Diseases, The Royal Melbourne Hospital, The University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
J Clin Epidemiol 64:366-79. 2011
..A range of indices exist that purport to measure health literacy across individuals and populations. This study aimed to review the development and content of existing indices and to critically appraise their properties...
- Oral health and treatment needs of institutionalized chronic psychiatric patients in Istanbul, Turkey
Department of Dentistry, Bakirkoy Research and Training Hospital for Psychiatry, Neurology and Neurosurgery, Istanbul, Turkey
Community Dent Health 27:151-7. 2010
..To assess the oral health status and treatment needs in a group of hospitalized chronic psychiatric patients...
- Horizontal equity in health care utilization in Brazil, 1998-2008
Department of Nutrition, Food Studies and Public Health, New York University, 411 Lafayette Street, 5th Floor, New York, NY 10003, USA
Int J Equity Health 11:33. 2012
..This study assesses trends in horizontal equity in the utilization of healthcare services from 1998 to 2008--a period of major economic and social change in Brazil...
- Beyond access: who reports that health care is not being received when needed in a publicly-funded health care system?
Naomi M Kasman
Arthritis Community Research and Evaluation Unit, Department of Outcomes and Population Health, Toronto Western Hospital Research Institute and the University Health Network, Ontario
Can J Public Health 95:304-8. 2004
- Community-dwelling persons with dementia: what do they need? What do they demand? What do they do? A systematic review on the subjective experiences of persons with dementia
Milena von Kutzleben
DZNE, German Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases, Witten, Germany
Aging Ment Health 16:378-90. 2012
..The leading research questions for this review are: What needs do PwD living at home express? What are their subjective demands? What do they do to cope with their situation?..
- The physical and practical problems experienced by cancer survivors: a rapid review and synthesis of the literature
S G Brearley
International Observatory on End of Life Care, School of Health and Medicine, Lancaster University, UK
Eur J Oncol Nurs 15:204-12. 2011
..A rapid and comprehensive review to identify what is known and not known about the physical and practical problems faced by adult cancer survivors...
- Cancer patients' needs for rehabilitation services
National Resource Center for Late Effects, Department of Oncology, Oslo University Hospital, University of Oslo, Norway
Acta Oncol 50:212-22. 2011
..To examine cancer patients' needs for rehabilitation services and factors associated with such needs, and secondly identify unmet needs for rehabilitation services and related factors...
- 'Shedding light' on the challenges faced by Palestinian maternal health-care providers
Institute of Community and Public Health, Birzeit University, Ramallah, West Bank, Occupied Palestinian Territory
Midwifery 27:154-9. 2011
- Looking beyond the issue of access to insulin: what is needed for proper diabetes care in resource poor settings
International Insulin Foundation, Centre for International Health and Development, Institute of Child Health, University College London, 30, Guildford Street, London WC1N 1EH, UK
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 88:217-21. 2010
..Strengthening health systems and developing sustainable and locally owned solutions are vital to improve health and health care for people with diabetes and other chronic conditions in resource poor settings...
- Health care and equity in India
Department of Global Health and Population, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA
Lancet 377:505-15. 2011
..The implementation of these principles with strengthened public health and primary-care services will help to ensure a more equitable health care for India's population...
- The "good" rural death: a report of an ethnographic study in Alberta, Canada
Donna M Wilson
Faculty of Nursing, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
J Palliat Care 25:21-9. 2009
..Four themes in the Alberta data highlight critical elements of the good rural death. These findings are expected to contribute to rural/remote palliative and end-of-life care developments...
- Experiences of professional support during pregnancy and childbirth - a qualitative study of women with type 1 diabetes
The Institute of Health and Care Sciences, the Sahlgrenska Academy at Gothenburg University Box 457, SE 405 30, Goteborg, Sweden
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 9:27. 2009
..The aim of this study was to explore the need for and experience of professional support during pregnancy and childbirth among women with type 1 diabetes...
- The prevalence and risk indicators of uncorrected refractive error and unmet refractive need in Latinos: the Los AngelesLatino Eye Study
Doheny Eye Institute and the Department of Ophthalmology, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 49:5264-73. 2008
..To determine the age- and sex-specific prevalence and risk indicators of uncorrected refractive error and unmet refractive need among a population-based sample of Latino adults...
- [Gender, equality, and health services access: an empirical approximation]
Elsa Gómez Gómez
Programa Mujer, Salud y Desarrollo, División de Salud y Desarrollo Humano, Organizacion Panamericana de la Salud, Spain
Rev Panam Salud Publica 11:327-34. 2002
..The piece concludes that achieving equity in health care access will require a better understanding of the gender needs and gender barriers that are linked to social structures and health systems...
- Diagnostic agreement in the assessment of orthodontic treatment need using the Dental Aesthetic Index and the Index of Orthodontic Treatment Need
Department of Stomatology, University of Valencia, Spain
Eur J Orthod 32:193-8. 2010
..This difference has to be taken in consideration when measuring, recording, or quantifying orthodontic treatment need...
- Comparison of three comorbidity measures for predicting health service use in patients with osteoarthritis
Kelli L Dominick
Durham VAMC, Duke University Medical Center, NC 27705, USA
Arthritis Rheum 53:666-72. 2005
..To compare the ability of 3 database-derived comorbidity scores, the Charlson Score, Elixhauser method, and RxRisk-V, in predicting health service use among individuals with osteoarthritis (OA)...
- Disparities in academic achievement and health: the intersection of child education and health policy
University of Rochester, 1381 South Ave, Rochester, NY 14620, USA
Pediatrics 123:1073-80. 2009
..This will ensure that schools, particularly those serving large numbers of poor and minority children, have the resources necessary to promote optimal learning...
- Validation of the cancer needs questionnaire (CNQ) short-form version in an ambulatory cancer setting
Peter MacCallum Cancer Institute, East Melbourne, Australia
Qual Life Res 13:1225-33. 2004
..The current study provides supportive evidence that the short-form CNQ is a reliable and valid instrument for assessing the needs of patients with cancer in an ambulatory care setting...
- Prevalence, comorbidity, disability and service utilisation. Overview of the Australian National Mental Health Survey
World Health Organization Collaborating Centre for Mental Health and School of Psychiatry, University of New South Wales at St Vincent s Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Br J Psychiatry 178:145-53. 2001
..Health planning should be based on data about prevalence, disability and services used...
- Unequal access and unmet need: neurotic disorders and the use of primary care services
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioural Sciences, RF and UCL Medical School, Institute of Psychiatry and Office for National Statistics, London, UK
Int Rev Psychiatry 15:115-22. 2003
..The most salient finding from our study is that even people suffering from high levels of psychiatric symptoms very often do not have contact with professionals who might help them...
- Unmet needs of gynaecological cancer survivors: implications for developing community support services
Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation, School of Public Health, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia
Psychooncology 17:392-400. 2008
..Further assistance with the top specific concerns of gynaecological cancer survivors is recommended. Identified subgroups with higher needs are important targets for support...
- Workload Indicators of Staffing Need method in determining optimal staffing levels at Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital
Department of Surgery, Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital, P O Box 4606 30100, Eldoret, Kenya
East Afr Med J 85:232-9. 2008
..With the health personnel consuming up to three quarters of recurrent budgets, a need arises to ascertain that a workforce for any health facility is the optimal level needed to produce the desired product...
- Obesity: attitudes of undergraduate student nurses and registered nurses
Man Yuk Poon
Prince of Wales Hospital, Hong Kong, China
J Clin Nurs 18:2355-65. 2009
..To investigate undergraduate student nurses' and registered nurses' attitudes towards obese persons and towards the management of obese patients...
- Changing health-seeking behaviour in Matlab, Bangladesh: do development interventions matter?
Syed Masud Ahmed
Division of Internal Health, Department of Public Health Sciences, Karolinska Instute, Stockholm, Sweden
Health Policy Plan 18:306-15. 2003
..The provision of pharmaceutical training to the full spectrum of health care providers is also recommended...
- Disparities in adolescent health and health care: does socioeconomic status matter?
Paul W Newacheck
Institute for Health Policy Studies and the Department of Pediatrics, University of California, San Francisco 94118, USA
Health Serv Res 38:1235-52. 2003
..National household survey...
- Estimates of health care professional shortages in sub-Saharan Africa by 2015
Richard M Scheffler
School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 28:w849-62. 2009
..6 billion (2007 $US)-more than 2.5 times current wage-bill projections for 2015. We illustrate how changes in workforce mix can reduce this cost, and we discuss policy implications of our results...
- Barriers to improvement of mental health services in low-income and middle-income countries
Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Lancet 370:1164-74. 2007
..Population-wide progress in access to humane mental health care will depend on substantially more attention to politics, leadership, planning, advocacy, and participation...
- Original approach to the individual characteristics associated with forgone healthcare: a study in underprivileged areas, Paris region, France, 2001-2003
Eur J Public Health 15:361-7. 2005
- Psychological comorbidity and health-related quality of life and its association with awareness, utilization, and need for psychosocial support in a cancer register-based sample of long-term breast cancer survivors
Department of Medical Psychology, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
J Psychosom Res 64:383-91. 2008
..Psychosocial comorbidity and quality of life (QOL) and its association with knowledge, utilization, and need for psychosocial support have been studied in long-term breast cancer survivors...
- Primary care patients with anxiety and depression: need for care from the patient's perspective
Marijn A Prins
NIVEL, Netherlands Institute for Health Services Research, P O Box 1568, 3500 BN, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Affect Disord 119:163-71. 2009
..This study aims to determine the specific perceived need for care in primary care patients with anxiety and depression, and examine to what extent these different needs are met...
- Subjective needs of people with dementia: a review of the literature
Henriëtte G van der Roest
Department of Psychiatry Alzheimer Center, VU Medical Center GGZ Buitenamstel, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Int Psychogeriatr 19:559-92. 2007
..Insight into the individual care needs of the growing number of people with dementia is necessary to deliver more customized care. Our study aims to provide an overview of the literature on the subjective needs of people with dementia...
- Access in health services research: the battle of the frameworks
Thomas C Ricketts
School of Public Health, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Cecil G Sheps Center for Health Services Research, Campus Box 7590, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7590, USA
Nurs Outlook 53:274-80. 2005
..Access is an important concept in the study of the organization, financing and delivery of healthcare services. It is also an important political symbol and policy goal...
- Health care resource allocation and individuals' health care needs: examining the degree of fit
Division of General Internal Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Louis Stokes VA Medical Center, 10701 East Boulevard, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Health Policy 73:183-93. 2005
..We conclude that policy interventions are needed that look beyond health resource allocation to address problems in health care access that contribute to inequities in health...