Summary: Centers for acquiring and storing semen.
Publications149 found, 100 shown here
- Sperm banking for adolescent and young adult cancer patients: sperm quality, patient, and parent perspectivesJill P Ginsberg
Division of Oncology, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Pediatr Blood Cancer 50:594-8. 2008..We aim to evaluate feasibility of offering newly diagnosed patients the opportunity to bank sperm and, to determine the beliefs and decision-making processes of patients and their parents who considered sperm banking...
- Cryopreservation of semen from endangered pheasants: the first step towards a cryobank for endangered avian speciesM Saint Jalme
Museum national d histoire naturelle, Laboratoire de Conservation des Especes Animales, Parc Zoologique de Clères, 76690 Clères, France
Theriogenology 59:875-88. 2003..These experiments demonstrated the feasibility of using a very simple and inexpensive method to achieve artificial insemination and cryopreservation of semen in endangered pheasant species...
- Current and future concepts and practices in human sperm cryobankingD Mortimer
Oozoa Biomedical, Box 93012, Caulfeild Village RPO, West Vancouver, BC, Canada V7W 3G4
Reprod Biomed Online 9:134-51. 2004..To assist workers in this area, a series of recommendations as to current best practice are made, based upon conclusions from risk analyses using currently available information...
- Twenty years experience with semen cryopreservation in testicular cancer patients: who needs it?H Magelssen
The Norwegian Radium Hospital, Dep of Clinical Research, Montebello, 0310 Oslo, Norway
Eur Urol 48:779-85. 2005..To evaluate the role of semen cryopreservation (SCP) in the fertility saving management of testicular cancer (TC) patients, treated at the Norwegian Radium Hospital between 1983 and 2002...
- Oncologists' attitudes and practices regarding banking sperm before cancer treatmentLeslie R Schover
University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030 4009, USA
J Clin Oncol 20:1890-7. 2002..The goal of this study was to survey oncologists in three different practice settings to determine their knowledge, attitudes, and practices regarding referring patients to bank sperm before cancer treatment...
- Monitoring fertility (semen analysis) by cancer survivors who banked sperm prior to cancer treatmentA A Pacey
Academic Unit of Reproductive and Developmental Medicine, Department of Human Metabolism, University of Sheffield, Level 4, The Jessop Wing, Tree Root Walk, Sheffield S10 2SF, UK
Hum Reprod 27:3132-9. 2012..What medical and psychological variables predict why men with banked sperm do not return for semen analysis after their cancer treatment has ended?..
- Sperm banking: use and outcomes in patients treated for testicular cancerChristopher R Girasole
Department of Urologic Surgery, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN, USA
BJU Int 99:33-6. 2007....
- Effectiveness of sperm banking in adolescents and young adults with cancer: a regional experienceMichael S Neal
Center for Reproductive Care, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Cancer 110:1125-9. 2007..In a regional center, the authors evaluated efficacy and utilization of sperm banking for preservation of male fertility in adolescents and young adults (AYA) with cancer...
- Sperm cryopreservation before cancer chemotherapy helps in the emotional battle against cancerKazuo Saito
Department of Urology and Kidney Transplantation, Yokohama City University Medical Center, 4 57 Urafune, Minami Ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 232 0024, Japan
Cancer 104:521-4. 2005..Sperm cryopreservation before cancer chemotherapy is available for young patients with cancer. However, few patients bank their sperm. The authors evaluated by questionnaire the psychological impact of sperm cryopreservation...
- Postmortem parenthood and the need for a protocol with posthumous sperm procurementFrances R Batzer
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Fertil Steril 79:1263-9. 2003..This paper discusses the practical and ethical role of posthumous sperm procurement in medical practice and society and submits possible solutions, including the establishment of formal policies and protocols...
- The legacy of sperm banking: how fertility monitoring and disposal of sperm are linked with views of cancer treatmentC Eiser
Department of Psychology, University of Sheffield, Sheffield S10 2TP, UK
Hum Reprod 26:2791-8. 2011..Among them, few attend for fertility monitoring or agree to sperm disposal where fertility recovers. Sperm banks are therefore burdened by long-term storage of samples that may not be needed for conception, with implications ..
- Who should be offered sperm banking for fertility preservation? A survey of UK oncologists and haematologistsE Gilbert
Warwick Medical School, University of Warwick, UK
Ann Oncol 22:1209-14. 2011..Yet some patients are not offered this opportunity and are thereby disadvantaged. We sought to understand oncologists' and haematologists' decision making concerning sperm-banking referrals...
- Facilitators and obstacles to sperm banking in young men receiving gonadotoxic chemotherapy for cancer: the perspective of survivors and health care professionalsMarie A Achille
Department of Psychology, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Hum Reprod 21:3206-16. 2006..Although both are associated with high rates of infertility, sperm banking (SB) remains underutilized by both diagnostic groups. Reasons for this remain elusive...
- Ex situ conservation of Holstein-Friesian cattle: comparing the Dutch, French, and US germplasm collectionsC Danchin-Burge
AgroParisTech, UMR 1313 Génétique Animale et Biologie Intégrative, 75231 Paris 05, France
J Dairy Sci 94:4100-8. 2011..Gene banks can play an important role in conserving genetic diversity within livestock breeds over time, and may support industry in the future when needed...
- Nationwide use of postmortem retrieved sperm in Israel: a follow-up reportArieh Raziel
Male Infertility and IVF Unit, Assaf Harofeh Medical Center, Tel Aviv University, Zerifin, Israel
Fertil Steril 95:2693-5. 2011..Four widows elected to discard the frozen sperm and all of the remaining spouses were uninterested in its fate. Because none of the samples were requested for use, the need for sperm procurement should be reconsidered...
- Posthumous sperm procurement: demand and concernsJoshua M Hurwitz
Obstet Gynecol Surv 59:806-8. 2004
- Practical aspects of sperm banking for cancer patientsMatt J Tomlinson
Assisted Conception Unit, Birmingham Women s Hospital, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TG, UK
Hum Fertil (Camb) 6:100-5. 2003....
- Semen preservation in male adolescents and young adults with cancer: one institution's experienceLisa Bashore
Cook Children s Medical Center, Fort Worth, TX, USA
Clin J Oncol Nurs 11:381-6. 2007..In addition, information on infertility needs to be given to families early in the diagnostic phase to provide them with an opportunity to ask questions...
- Inter-sample variability in post-thaw human spermatozoaKiran P Nallella
Center for Advanced Research in Human Reproduction, Infertility and Sexual Function, Glickman Urological Institute, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Cryobiology 49:195-9. 2004..Further research is necessary to understand the mechanism(s) responsible for this variability. This may also assist clinicians utilize semen samples with optimum semen quality in ART procedures...
- Normal semen parameters in cancer patients presenting for cryopreservation before gonadotoxic therapyOmid Rofeim
Fertil Steril 82:505-6. 2004..Similar sperm qualities in men with and without cancer were found. Patient and physician awareness and early referral for sperm banking are essential in preserving fertility potential in men with malignancies...
- How would a decline in sperm concentration over time influence the probability of pregnancy?Remy Slama
Unité 569 Epidémiologie, Démographie et Sciences Sociales, INSERM and INED the French National Institute for Demographic Studies, IFR69, 82 rue du General Leclerc, 94276 Le Kremlin Bicetre Cedex, France
Epidemiology 15:458-65. 2004..In practice, the amplitude of this expected effect is not well known and the statistical power of time-to-pregnancy studies to detect it has not been explored...
- New Orleans is readyRichard P Dickey
Fertil Steril 90:894-5. 2008
- Recovery of human sperm motility and ability to interact with the human zona pellucida after more than 28 years of storage in liquid nitrogenGary N Clarke
Andrology Unit, The Royal Women s Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Fertil Steril 86:721-2. 2006..In conclusion, human sperm can survive very long-term storage, which is pertinent information for clinicians referring boys and young men for sperm banking before chemotherapy...
- Semen cryopreservation from oncological patients: the Italian experienceG M Colpi
Andrology Service, San Paolo Hospital Polo Universitario, Via di Rudini 8, 20142 Milano, Italy
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 113:S12-3. 2004..The rate of semen sample use for assisted reproduction techniques is similar to international data (5%). At present, semen cryopreservation is possible only in about 20 Italian centers...
- The combined use of embryos and semen for cryogenic conservation of mammalian livestock genetic resourcesPaul J Boettcher
Istituto di Biologia e Biotecnologia Agraria, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Milan, Italy
Genet Sel Evol 37:657-75. 2005..However, combining semen with embryos could decrease costs, allowing for the conservation of more breeds, and specific strategies for semen use could decrease the level of relationships in the reconstructed breed...
- Prospective, randomized, blinded evaluation of donor semen quality provided by seven commercial sperm banksDouglas T Carrell
Division of Urology and Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
Fertil Steril 78:16-21. 2002To evaluate variability in donor semen quality between seven commercial donor sperm banks, within sperm banks, and between intracervical insemination and intrauterine insemination.
- Sperm motility, plasma membrane integrity, and binding capacity to homologous zona pellucida of cryopreserved epididymal spermatozoa in the domestic catNaomi Kashiwazaki
Laboraory of Animal Reproduction, Graduate School of Veterinary Medicine, Azabu University, Kanagawa, Japan
J Reprod Dev 51:735-9. 2005..These results indicated that the freezing system for epididymal sperm used in the present study gives appropriate information for banking the genetic resources of wild felid species...
- Gaining consent to freeze spermatozoa from adolescents with cancer: legal, ethical and practical aspectsG Bahadur
University College London and UCLH Trust, The Meyerstein Institute of Oncology, Middlesex Hospital, London, UK
Hum Reprod 16:188-193. 2001..The practical approach to gaining consent that we are using seems a logical and practical method to help early adolescent patients to store spermatozoa...
- Retrieval and cryopreservation of sperm from spermatocele fluidM A Fischer
Division of Urology, Department of Surgery, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Urology 61:417-20. 2003..Assisted reproductive technologies have led to successful pregnancies and deliveries using sperm harvested from the epididymis and/or testis of infertile men...
- Donor anonymityAlec Samuels
Med Leg J 73:71-2. 2005
- Past semen donors' views about the use of a voluntary contact registerMarilyn A Crawshaw
Department of Social Policy and Social Work, University of York, York, YO10 5DD, UK
Reprod Biomed Online 14:411-7. 2007..Some donors would be willing to be approached for information or contact even if they did not register. The findings indicate important policy and practice messages about the ongoing needs of donors...
- Disposition of sperm donors with resultant abnormal pregnanciesJ A Kuller
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7516, USA
Hum Reprod 16:1553-5. 2001..Inheritance mode appeared to influence decisions to remove donors from sperm banks; however, no clear consensus was noted...
- Current reproductive technology: considerations for the oncologistC A Winkel
Dept of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Oncology (Williston Park) 7:40-5; discussion 46-8, 51. 1993..For men undergoing treatment likely to destroy testicular function, the development of sperm banks to store cryopreserved sperm offers the hope of future fatherhood...
- Evaluation of post-thaw Asian elephant (Elephas maximus) spermatozoa using flow cytometry: the effects of extender and cryoprotectantNikorn Thongtip
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Center for Agricultural Biotechnology, Kasetsaart University, Nakhon Pathom 73140, Thailand
Theriogenology 62:748-60. 2004..The data support the use of TEST + glycerol as an acceptable cryopreservation media of Asian elephant semen for the establishment of sperm banks.
- Effect of pre-freezing conditions on the progressive motility recovery rate of human frozen spermatozoaX Zhang
Family Planning Research Institute, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
Andrologia 44:343-8. 2012..progressive motility recovery rate of human frozen spermatozoa and improve the protocol for sperm collecting in sperm banks. A total of 14 190 semen samples donated at Zhejiang human sperm bank of China between September 2006 and June ..
- [Karyotype analysis of qualified sperm donors on preliminary screening]Hong chuan Nie
Institute of Reproduction and Stem Cell Engineering, Human Sperm Bank, Citic Xiangya Hospital of Reproduction and Genetics, Central South University, Changsha, Hunan 410078, China
Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue 17:13-6. 2011..To explore the significance of karyotype analysis in screening sperm donors...
- Season effect on genitalia and epididymal sperm from Iberian red deer, roe deer and Cantabrian chamoisFelipe Martinez-Pastor
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, Faculty of Biology, University of Leon, 24071 Leon, Spain
Theriogenology 63:1857-75. 2005..More in-depth research needs to be carried out on the quality of sperm salvaged at different times of the year in order to confirm these findings...
- [Artificial insemination with donor sperm in the Netherlands: future-proof?]P A L Femke Kop
Academisch Medisch Centrum, Vrouw Kind Centrum, Centrum voor Voortplantingsgeneeskunde, Amsterdam
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 158:A7232. 2014..Since new laws and regulations were implemented, a large number of sperm banks have closed and the total number of sperm donors and their availability have decreased...
- No reason for a reduction in the number of offspring per sperm donor because of possible transmission of autosomal dominant diseasesPim M W Janssens
Hospital Rijnstate, Alysis Zorggroep, Department of Clinical Chemistry Semenbank, Postbus 9555, 6800 TA Arnhem, The Netherlands
Hum Reprod 18:669-71. 2003..Reduction desired by individual donors can be obtained by means of mutual agreements between sperm banks and donors...
- [Cryopreservation of semen of adolescents and young adult men with cancer]P M W Janssens
Afd Klinisch Chemisch Laboratorium, Ziekenhuis Rijnstate, Postbus 9555, 6800 TA Arnhem
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 148:1981-4. 2004..There is a need for multidisciplinary protocols for oncology centres and sperm banks, so that the timely informing of patients is guaranteed, responsibilities are recorded--with appropriate ..
- Finding out about sperm banking: what information is available online for men diagnosed with cancer?H Merrick
Department of Psychology, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
Hum Fertil (Camb) 15:121-8. 2012..Furthermore, visual presentation of material (e.g. lay out) did not facilitate easy reading. More attention should be given to information about longer-term issues, such as fertility recovery and the use or disposal of banked sperm...
- Freezability and semen parameters in candidates of sperm bank donors: 1992-2010Leah Yogev
Institute for the Study of Fertility, Lis Maternity Hospital, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, 6 Weizman St, Tel Aviv 64239, Israel
J Androl 33:999-1006. 2012..It is suggested that the global warming phenomenon might have only partial contribution to semen variable changes over the years...
- [Pre-freezing equilibration improves post-thaw human semen parameters]Ya nan Wang
Department of Urology Laboratory of Sperm Development and Genetics, Shanghai Institute of Andrology Shanghai Human Sperm Bank, Renji Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University School of Medicine, Shanghai 200001, China
Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue 19:886-9. 2013..To investigate the effect of pre-freezing equilibration on the cryo-survival of human sperm and to optimize the protocol of direct fumigation for the freeze-thawing of human sperm...
- Cell and tissue banking plays an important role in the reproductive medicineFranco Dondero
Cell Tissue Bank 7:73-4. 2006
- [Screening results and causes of uncompleted donation process in 1 145 sperm donors]Huang Tao Guan
Research Institute of Family Planning Center of Reproductive Medicine, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, Hubei 430030, China
Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue 20:124-8. 2014To improve the reception and recruitment of sperm donors in sperm banks in China, and solve the problem of insufficiency in sperm donation.
- Sperm banking is of key importance in patients with prostate cancerAndrea Salonia
Department of Urology, University Vita Salute San Raffaele, Milan, Italy
Fertil Steril 100:367-72.e1. 2013..To assess the need for sperm banking among patients with prostate cancer (PCa) who are candidates for radical prostatectomy (RP)...
- Freezability of Iberian ibex (Capra pyrenaica) spermatozoa according to the glycerolization temperature and plasma testosterone concentrationMiguel A Coloma
Departamento de Reproduccion Animal, INIA, Madrid, Spain
Cryobiology 61:204-10. 2010..The results revealed, however, that high plasma testosterone levels during the pre-rutting season may interfere with the freezing-thawing process, having a negative influence on sperm cryosurvival...
- "Obligated aliens": recognizing sperm donors' ethical obligation to disclose genetic informationSivan Tamir
Genetic Policy and Bioethics Unit, Gertner Institute for Epidemiology and Health Policy Research
Kennedy Inst Ethics J 23:19-52. 2013..The paper also provides an in-depth analysis of the conflicting interests of the parties generated by such an obligation and proposes a model for embedding this ethical duty in a (legal) contractual framework...
- Sperm banking for fertility preservation: a 20-year experienceMatrika D Johnson
Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, Magee Womens Hospital of UPMC, 300 Halket Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA Electronic address
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 170:177-82. 2013..We compared the disposition and semen parameters of cryopreserved sperm from individuals referred for sperm banking secondary to a cancer diagnosis to those of sperm from men banking for infertility reasons...
- [Ethical thinking on sperm use in human assisted reproductive technology]Yan Li
Department of Social Medicine and Health Service Management, School of Public Health, Central South University, Changsha, Hunan 410078, China
Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue 16:377-80. 2010..However, it also yields a series of ethical problems. Proper handling of the contradictory relationship of ethical principles with science and technology is conducive to the healthy development of human ART...
- Optimizing fertility preservation for pre- and postpubertal males with cancerJonathan H Wang
Department of Urology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 6510, USA
Semin Reprod Med 31:274-85. 2013..A multidisciplinary team approach is critical to educate families on the available options and help accomplish fertility preservation in a timely manner...
- Semen cryopreservation for ex situ management of genetic diversity in chicken: creation of the French avian cryobankE Blesbois
Unité de Recherches Avicoles, Syndicat des Sélectionneurs Avicoles et Aquacoles Francaiş, Unité Expérimentale Physologie Aviaire et Parasitologie, Unité Expérimentale Station de Recherches Avicoles, France
Poult Sci 86:555-64. 2007..Current stocks made possible the restoration of more than 96% of the initial genome. This project also provided technical solutions to resolve some of the health problems frequently encountered for gene preservation in poultry...
- Fertility issues: the perceptions and experiences of young men recently diagnosed and treated for cancerAlison Chapple
The Department of Primary Health Care, University of Oxford, Headington, Oxford, United Kingdom
J Adolesc Health 40:69-75. 2007..To explore fertility issues for young men who had been diagnosed and treated for cancer and to examine communication problems surrounding these fertility issues...
- Genetic testing of sperm donors for cystic fibrosis and spinal muscular atrophy: evaluation of clinical utilityI Landaburu
Unidad de Reproduccion, Hospital Universitario Virgen de las Nieves, Granada, Spain
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 170:183-7. 2013..To evaluate the clinical utility of genetic testing for cystic fibrosis (CF) and spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) in sperm donors...
- [The effect of the period of cryopreservative storage on the cryosurvival of human spermatozoa]Jin Xia Ma
Human Sperm Bank, Affiliated Hospital of Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, Jiangsu 210029, China
Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue 9:122-3. 2003..To study the effect of cryopreservative period on the cryosurvival of human spermatozoa and find out the optimal recovery time of cryopreservation...
- [Requests for utilization of a semen bank among oncological patients. Semen cryopreservation prior to chemotherapy, radiotherapy and surgery]José Manuel González Casbas
Unidad de Reproducción Asistida y Banco de Semen del Hospital Ramón y Cajal, Madrid, Espana
Arch Esp Urol 57:1017-20. 2004..The objective of this article is to review current criteria for semen cryopreservation and its usefulness as a method for preservation of fertility in patients with cancer...
- Evaluation of semen quality in patients with malignancies referred for sperm banking before cancer treatmentN Amirjannati
Reproductive Biotechnology Research Center, Avicenna Research Institute, Tehran, Iran
Andrologia 43:317-20. 2011..As the majority of patients had suitable specimens for freezing and assisted reproduction, sperm banking is recommended to be performed promptly and before any treatment, especially surgery...
- Legal considerations for cryopreservation of sperm and embryosTimothy G Schuster
Department of Urology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Fertil Steril 80:61-6. 2003..To summarize the case law for cryopreservation of sperm and embryos and make recommendations for desirable characteristics that should be included in a cryopreservation clinic's disposition agreements...
- Oncofertility and the male cancer patientLandon W Trost
Department of Urology, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Curr Treat Options Oncol 13:146-60. 2012..While oncologic care is often fraught with time constraints and acute medical concerns, fertility preservation care in the male can typically be administered quickly and without disruption of the overall plan of care...
- Concomitant unilateral and synchronous bilateral testis cancer in azoospermic dizygotic twins: differential management of fertility preservationAthmane Safsaf
Service d Urologie, Spermatogenèse et qualité du gamète mâle, Hopital Charles Nicolle, Rouen, France
Fertil Steril 95:2434.e11-3. 2011..To optimize fertility preservation management in unilateral or bilateral testicular cancer...
- Fertility preservation in adolescent males with cancer in the United Kingdom: a survey of practiceA W Glaser
Yorkshire Regional Centre for Paediatric Oncology and Haematology, Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, Leeds, UK
Arch Dis Child 89:736-7. 2004
- Spermatogonial stem cell preservation in boys with Klinefelter syndrome: to bank or not to bank, that's the questionInge Gies
Department of Pediatrics, UZ Brussel, Brussels, Belgium
Fertil Steril 98:284-9. 2012..Retrieval of spermatogonial cells in prepubertal boys with KS should therefore still be viewed as experimental and patients and their parents must be counseled accordingly...
- Introduction: Cancer treatment and male fertility: effects of therapy and current and future management optionsMark Sigman
Division of Urology, Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University and Division of Urology, Rhode Island and The Miriam Hospital, Providence, Rhode Island Electronic address
Fertil Steril 100:1179. 2013..Cancer treatments are detrimental to spermatogenesis. This series reviews effects of anticancer therapies on male fertility, current and future approaches to determine sperm health, and gives recommendations for patient management. ..
- Gamete donation in France: the future of the anonymity doctrineLaurence Brunet
University of Paris Sorbonne, Paris, France
Med Health Care Philos 16:69-81. 2013..Finally, we shall examine two possible outcomes of the debate, highlighting their respective legitimacy as well as their consequences, as far as the rights of children, the notion of the family, and medical practice are concerned...
- The role of sperm banking in fertility preservationO A Olatunbosun
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Clin Exp Obstet Gynecol 39:283-7. 2012..To investigate factors that influence sperm banking before cancer therapy and assess the use and disposal of banked sperm after cancer treatment...
- The sperm donor programme over 11 years at Newcastle Fertility CentreMadhavi Gudipati
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Trust, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Hum Fertil (Camb) 16:258-65. 2013..centres ceased during this time and an increasing number of patients imported sperm from overseas commercial sperm banks. A waiting list for treatment was set up in 2007 with a gradual increase in waiting time to 18 months in 2010...
- Ethical and practical considerations concerning perimortem sperm procurement in a severe neurologically damaged patient and the apparent discrepancy in validation of proxy consent in various postmortem proceduresJ L Epker
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, Erasmus MC University Medical Centre Rotterdam, PO Box 2040, 3000 CA, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Intensive Care Med 38:1069-73. 2012..Intensive care specialists can be confronted with a request for peri- or postmortem sperm procurement, while not being aware of the country-specific provisions...
- Fertility preservation in the male: from childhood to adulthoodP Masson
Northwestern University Feinberg, School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, USA
Minerva Ginecol 64:461-75. 2012..For these reasons, a change in oncologic treatment paradigms has occurred. Now, the offer of fertility preservation to males diagnosed with cancer is a key component of comprehensive oncologic care...
- A content analysis of posthumous sperm procurement protocols with considerations for developing an institutional policySarah M Bahm
Stanford Center for Biomedical Ethics, Stanford University, Stanford, California, USA
Fertil Steril 100:839-43. 2013..To identify and analyze existing posthumous sperm procurement (PSP) protocols in order to outline central themes for institutions to consider when developing future policies...
- Easy sperm processing technique allowing exclusive accumulation and later usage of DNA-strandbreak-free spermatozoaT Ebner
Landes Frauen und Kinderklinik, IVF Unit, Linz, Austria
Reprod Biomed Online 22:37-43. 2011..001). As far as is known, this is the first report ona sperm preparation technique concentrating spermatozoa unaffected in terms of DNA damage. The special chambers most probably select for sperm motility and/or maturity...
- History of commercializing sexed semen for cattleD L Garner
GametoBiology Consulting, P O Box 1939, Graeagle, CA 96103 1939, USA
Theriogenology 69:886-95. 2008..Innovative approaches by a diverse group of scientists along with advances in computer science, biophysics, cell biology, instrumentation, and applied reproductive physiology provided the basis for commercializing sexed semen in cattle...
- Use rate and assisted reproduction technologies outcome of cryopreserved semen from 629 cancer patientsN J van Casteren
Department of Urology, Andrology Division, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Fertil Steril 90:2245-50. 2008..To assess the use rate and assisted reproductive technologies (ART) outcome of the cryopreserved semen of cancer patients with an average follow-up of 7 years (range, 2-23 years)...
- Effect of long-term storage on deoxyribonucleic acid damage and motility of sperm bank donor specimensAvital Edelstein
The Institute for the Study of Fertility, Lis Maternity Hospital, Tel Aviv Medical Center, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv, Israel
Fertil Steril 90:1327-30. 2008..17), whereas the percentage of motile cells was lower (P=.009) after long-term (9-13 years) compared with short-term (1-5 years) storage. Density gradient isolation reduced the difference in sperm motility between the two groups...
- Tigers in trouble: year of the tigerJerry Guo
Nature 449:16-8. 2007
- The use of pornographic materials by adolescent male cancer patients when banking sperm in the UK: legal and ethical dilemmasMarilyn A Crawshaw
Department of Social Policy and Social Work, University of York, York, UK
Hum Fertil (Camb) 10:159-63. 2007..This paper uses material gained through consultation with the eleven largest UK sperm banks and 94 male teenage cancer survivors, to discuss the associated legal and ethical dilemmas, including those ..
- Comparing the clinical outcomes of intrauterine insemination by two different density gradient preparation methodsYung Chieh Tsai
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Chi Mei Foundation Medical Center, Tainan, Taiwan, ROC
J Chin Med Assoc 67:168-71. 2004..The aim of this study was to compare 2 different density gradient preparations for sperm separation in respect to sperm recovery, motility, motion parameters and clinical outcome after intrauterine insemination...
- Deoxyribonucleic acid-damaged sperm in cryopreserved-thawed specimens from cancer patients and healthy menAvital Edelstein
The Institute for the Study of Fertility, Lis Maternity Hospital, Tel Aviv Medical Center, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv, Israel
Fertil Steril 90:205-8. 2008..e., high), rather than a direct effect of an existing malignancy...
- Long-term cryostorage of sperm in a human sperm bank does not damage progressive motility concentrationLeah Yogev
The Institute for the Study of Fertility, Lis Maternity Hospital, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, 6 Weizman Street, Tel Aviv 64239, Israel
Hum Reprod 25:1097-103. 2010..The objective of this study was to determine the effect of the duration of cryostorage in liquid nitrogen on the sperm cells' progressive motility concentration (PMC) in a large study group...
- Managing novel reproductive injuries in the law of tort: the curious case of destroyed spermNicolette Priaulx
Centre for Law, Ethics and Society, Cardiff Law School, Cardiff University, UK
Eur J Health Law 17:81-95. 2010....
- [Impact of seasonal variation on pre- and post-thaw donor semen parameters]Xin Zong Zhang
Zhejiang Institute of Planned Parenthood Research, Hangzhou, Zhejiang 310012, China
Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue 16:619-22. 2010..To investigate the relationship of seasonal variation with pre- and post-thaw semen parameters as well as the cryosurgical of human spermatozoa...
- Implications of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy transmitted by sperm donationBarry J Maron
Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Center, Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation and Abbott Northwestern Hospital, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55407, USA
JAMA 302:1681-4. 2009..The unintended consequence in which genetic diseases are unwittingly transmitted to offspring is an underrecognized public health issue not previously prioritized by US Food and Drug Administration guidelines...
- Cancer and fertility: strategies to preserve fertilityK Diedrich
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Clinic of Schleswig Holstein, Campus Lubeck, 23538 Lubeck, Germany
Reprod Biomed Online 22:232-48. 2011..Further prospective studies are required to validate cryopreservation of oocytes and ovarian tissue, in-vitro maturation of oocytes and new vitrification techniques and to identify any long-term sequelae of slow freezing of embryos...
- Applied reproductive technologies and genetic resource banking for amphibian conservationAndrew J Kouba
Conservation and Research Department, Memphis Zoological Society, 2000 Prentiss Place, Memphis, TN 38112, USA
Reprod Fertil Dev 21:719-37. 2009..The purpose of this review is to summarise the current state of knowledge in the area of assisted reproduction technologies and gene banking for the conservation of amphibians...
- Sperm retrieval from terminally ill or recently deceased patients: a reviewAndrew C Kramer
University of Maryland Medical Center, Baltimore, MD 21201 1595, USA
Can J Urol 16:4627-31. 2009..This review aims to outline the many challenges associated with these requests...
- Genetic testing of sperm donors: survey of current practicesCharles A Sims
California Cryobank, Inc, Los Angeles, CA 90025, USA
Fertil Steril 94:126-9. 2010..To determine which genetic tests are being performed on sperm donor applicants in the United States...
- Fertility clinic, egg donation agency, and sperm bank policiesKatherine M Johnson
Department of Sociology, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania 16802, USA
Fertil Steril 96:877-9. 2011To assess the level of openness in U.S. gamete donation policies across fertility clinics, egg donation agencies, and sperm banks.
- A sperm-biz overhaulClaudia Kalb
Newsweek 151:41. 2008
- Cryopreservation of Atlantic cod Gadus morhua L. spermatozoa: Effects of extender composition and freezing rate on sperm motility, velocity and morphologyI A E Butts
Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Biological Station, St Andrews, NB, Canada
Cryobiology 61:174-81. 2010..Our findings are also highly relevant to the development of cod mariculture and for aiding in conservation efforts of this very important marine species...
- Fertility concerns for young males undergoing cancer therapyWendy L Hobbie
Cancer Survivorship Program, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia Associate Program Director, Pediatric Oncology Program, School of Nursing, University of Pennsylvania, PA 19104, USA
Semin Oncol Nurs 25:245-50. 2009..The role of the nurse in the education of families and facilitating the sperm banking process will be described...
- Evaluation of the SQA IIB: a new version of a sperm quality analyzerA Makler
Male Infertility Institute, Rambam Medical Center, Faculty of Medicine, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
Fertil Steril 71:761-4. 1999..To evaluate the SQA IIB (Sperm Quality Analyzer; MES-Medical Electronic Systems, Migdal Haemek, Israel), sperm analyzer that claims to read the three main sperm indices through algorithmic means and without a microscope...
- The invisible man. Artificial insemination by donor and the legislation on donor anonymity: a reviewSharon R Cohen
Guy s, King s and St Thomas School of Medicine, London, UK
J Fam Plann Reprod Health Care 30:270-3. 2004..The lifelong well-being of the child created must be the prime consideration in any reform of the law...
- Designing deaf babies and the question of disabilityH Dirksen L Bauman
Department of American Sign Language and Deaf Studies, Gallaudet University, Washington, DC 20002, USA
J Deaf Stud Deaf Educ 10:311-5. 2005..This leads to the ironic claim that seeking a deaf child could actually mitigate the conditions of disability within the family...
- Strategies for fertility preservation in female and male cancer survivorsSergio Oehninger
The Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, Virginia, USA
J Soc Gynecol Investig 12:222-31. 2005..Gonadal tissue cryopreservation and transplantation should be considered experimental in humans for the present time until greater evidence regarding efficacy and safety is accrued...
- How would revealing the identity of gamete donors affect current practice?Juan A Garcia-Velasco
IVI Madrid, Rey Juan Carlos University, Madrid, Spain
Reprod Biomed Online 10:564-6. 2005..Previous experiences with patients and donors, as well as different cultural viewpoints in northern and southern Europe, are presented...
- Dead sperm donors or world hunger: are bioethicists studying the right stuff?Timothy F Murphy
University of Illinois at Chicago, USA
Hastings Cent Rep 35:49. 2005
- [Cryopreserved human sperm deposits: usability after decades of storage]M Bolten
Klinik für Urologie und Kinderurologie, DRG Krankenhaus Seepark, Langen Debstedt
Urologe A 44:904-8. 2005..Almost all of the deposits exhibited adequate quality at all times during storage. Consequently, 21-year permanent frozen storage in liquid nitrogen is safe regarding aspects of spermatology...
- Comparison of two methods for obtaining spermatozoa from the cauda epididymis of Iberian red deerFelipe Martinez-Pastor
Cell Biology and Anatomy, University of Leon, 24071 Leon, Spain
Theriogenology 65:471-85. 2006..The cuts method may be more practical on certain occasions, but care must be taken in order to achieve rapid extension of the sample and to avoid contamination in order to improve sample condition...
- Fertility: tissue and cell banking overviewTariq A Shah
Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, Wiilliam Beaumont Hospital, 3535 West Thirteen Mile Road, Suite 344 Royal Oak, MI 48073, USA
Clin Lab Med 25:557-69. 2005
- [Identification of the resource suspected sperm by DNA fingerprinting]Wen Bing Zhu
Reproduction and Stem Cell Engineering Institute, Central South University, Changsha 410078, China
Zhong Nan Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban 29:537-9. 2004..To identify the resource suspected sperm of donor in human sperm bank and apply the parentage testing between the donor and his offspring...
- Sperm banking in adolescent cancer patientsB Edge
Faculty of Medical and Human Sciences, University of Manchester, UK
Arch Dis Child 91:149-52. 2006..Semen cryopreservation is a widely available method of maintaining fertility in male cancer patients. However this facility is not always used...
- Validation of the sperm quality analyzer and the hypo-osmotic swelling test for frozen-thawed ram and minke whale (Balaenoptera bonarensis) spermatozoaYutaka Fukui
Laboratory of Animal Reproduction, Department of Animal Production Science, Obihiro University of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine, Obihiro 080 8555, Japan
J Reprod Dev 50:147-54. 2004..However, sperm concentration and morphologically normal spermatozoa are not assessed accurately by SQA in minke whales...
- Parenthood after CancerLeslie Schover; Fiscal Year: 2004..In the second quarter of 2005 a working group of around 20 will meet to draft a manuscript on proposed clinical guidelines on reproduction and cancer, for submission to a relevant, peer-reviewed journal. ..
- SPIRIT:Reproductive Peer Counseling for Breast CancerLeslie Schover; Fiscal Year: 2006..In addition, we will conduct 50 semi-structured, qualitative phone interviews with survivors diagnosed under age 45, to better identify and characterize concerns of this young, at-risk group. ..
- MECHANISM OF ACTIVIN ACTION IN GRANULOSA CELLSTeresa Woodruff; Fiscal Year: 2001..These studies will establish the causal relationship between the activin system and normal and abnormal follicle function. ..
- GENOME RESOURCE BANKING OF RARE FELID POPULATIONSWilliam Swanson; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Sixteenth Ovarian WorkshopTeresa Woodruff; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Regulation of Reproductive Function by ActivinTeresa Woodruff; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Inhibin Actions on Reproductive Target TissuesTeresa Woodruff; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..