Genomes and Genes
Summary: The countries of southwest Asia and northeastern Africa usually considered as extending from Libya on the west to Afghanistan on the east. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988)
Publications309 found, 100 shown here
- Biomedical publications in an unstable region: the Arab world, 1988-2002Ghazi Omar Tadmouri
Lancet 362:1766. 2003
- Complete genome sequences and phylogenetic analysis of West Nile virus strains isolated from the United States, Europe, and the Middle EastRobert S Lanciotti
Division of Vector Borne Infectious Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, U S Department of Health and Human Services, Fort Collins, Colorado 80521, USA
Virology 298:96-105. 2002..Lineage 2 WN viruses have been isolated only in sub-Saharan Africa and Madagascar. Lineage 1 viruses can be further subdivided into three monophyletic clades...
- Genetic structure of human populationsNoah A Rosenberg
Molecular and Computational Biology, 1042 West 36th Place DRB 289, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089, USA
Science 298:2381-5. 2002..General agreement of genetic and predefined populations suggests that self-reported ancestry can facilitate assessments of epidemiological risks but does not obviate the need to use genetic information in genetic association studies...
- Recent spread of a new strain (A-Iran-05) of foot-and-mouth disease virus type A in the Middle EastN J Knowles
FAO World Reference Laboratory for Foot and Mouth Disease, Institute for Animal Health, Pirbright Laboratory, Woking, Surrey, UK
Transbound Emerg Dis 56:157-69. 2009..of a new genotype of foot-and-mouth disease virus (FMDV) type A responsible for recent FMD outbreaks in the Middle East. Initially identified in samples collected in 2003 from Iran, during 2005 and 2006 this FMDV lineage (proposed ..
- Prevalence of cardiovascular risk factors in the Middle East: a systematic reviewBahareh Motlagh
McMaster University, Population Health Research Institute, Hamilton General Hospital, Ontario, Canada
Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil 16:268-80. 2009The aim of this study was to determine the prevalence of key cardiovascular risk factors in the Middle East region...
- Present situation of echinococcosis in the Middle East and Arabic North AfricaSeyed Mahmoud Sadjjadi
Department of Parasitology and Mycology, School of Medicine, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, P O Box 71345 1735, Iran
Parasitol Int 55:S197-202. 2006Echinococcosis is one of the major zoonotic parasitic diseases in the Middle East and Arabic North Africa from Morocco to Egypt. Both cystic and alveolar echinococcosis has been reported from these areas...
- Eliciting policymakers' and stakeholders' opinions to help shape health system research priorities in the Middle East and North Africa regionFadi El-Jardali
Department of Health Management and Policy, American University of Beirut, Riad El Solh, Beirut 1107 2020, Lebanon
Health Policy Plan 25:15-27. 2010..there has been no previous priority-setting exercise in health policy and systems research in countries of the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region...
- Tracing European founder lineages in the Near Eastern mtDNA poolM Richards
Institute of Molecular Medicine, University of Oxford, Oxford and Department of Biology, University College London, United Kingdom
Am J Hum Genet 67:1251-76. 2000....
- Early domesticated fig in the Jordan ValleyMordechai E Kislev
Faculty of Life Sciences, Bar Ilan University, 52900 Ramat Gan, Israel
Science 312:1372-4. 2006..Hence, fig trees could have been the first domesticated plant of the Neolithic Revolution, which preceded cereal domestication by about a thousand years...
- HIV in the Middle EastCarla Makhlouf Obermeyer
Department of HIV AIDS, World Health Organization, Geneva, 1211, Switzerland
BMJ 333:851-4. 2006
- Population distribution of the methionine allele at the PRNP codon 129 polymorphism in Europe and the Middle EastGéraldine Mercier
Institute of Molecular Anthropology, 44 rue Monge, 75005 Paris, France
Hum Biol 80:181-90. 2008..M129V polymorphism was studied in 2201 normal subjects, originating from 15 populations from Europe and the Middle East. Mean heterozygosity in these populations is 38...
- The shift in stages of the nutrition transition in the developing world differs from past experiences!Barry M Popkin
Carolina Population Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 27516 3997, USA
Public Health Nutr 5:205-14. 2002....
- Diet and prevention of coronary heart disease in the Arab Middle East countriesAbdulrahman O Musaiger
Environmental and Biological Program, Bahrain Center for Studies and Research, Bahrain
Med Princ Pract 11:9-16. 2002The picture of health and nutritional status in the Arab Middle East countries has changed drastically during the past four decades as a result of changes in dietary habits, socio-economic situation and lifestyle...
- Language-tree divergence times support the Anatolian theory of Indo-European originRussell D Gray
Department of Psychology, University of Auckland, Private Bag 92019, Auckland 1020, New Zealand
Nature 426:435-9. 2003..These results were robust to changes in coding procedures, calibration points, rooting of the trees and priors in the bayesian analysis...
- Estimation of diabetes prevalence among immigrants from the Middle East in Sweden by using three different data sourcesP E Wandell
Center for Family and Community Medicine Stockholm, Karolinska Institutet, Alfred Nobels alle 12, SE 141 83 Huddinge, Sweden
Diabetes Metab 34:328-33. 2008To estimate diabetes prevalence in immigrants from the Middle East in Sweden compared with Swedish-born subjects. This group accounts for around 15% of Sweden's non-European immigrants.
- Sagittal abdominal diameter as a marker of inflammation and insulin resistance among immigrant women from the Middle East and native Swedish women: a cross-sectional studyHelena Petersson
Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism, Department of Public Health and Caring Sciences, Uppsala, Sweden
Cardiovasc Diabetol 6:10. 2007Immigrant women from the Middle East have elevated risk of cardiovascular disease. Sagittal abdominal diameter (SAD), a simple marker of intra-abdominal fat, predicts insulin resistance and cardiovascular mortality in men...
- Excessive incidence of stroke in Iran: evidence from the Mashhad Stroke Incidence Study (MSIS), a population-based study of stroke in the Middle EastMahmoud Reza Azarpazhooh
Department of Neurology, Ghaem Hospital, Taghi Abad Square, Mashhad, Iran
Stroke 41:e3-e10. 2010The epidemiology of stroke and its subtypes in the Middle East is unclear. Most previous studies have been performed in Western countries, and incidence rates are unlikely to apply in the Middle East...
- Ecology and geography of avian influenza (HPAI H5N1) transmission in the Middle East and northeastern AfricaRichard A J Williams
Natural History Museum and Biodiversity Research Center, The University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas 66045, USA
Int J Health Geogr 8:47. 2009..of HPAI-H5N1 cases are related consistently and predictably to coarse-scale environmental features in the Middle East and northeastern Africa...
- Childbirth in PalestineL Wick
Institute of Community and Public Health Birzeit University, Box 154, Ramallah, West Bank, Occupied Palestinian Territory
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 89:174-8. 2005..This study describes staffing, caseloads and reported routine practices for normal childbirth in Palestinian West Bank (WB) governmental maternity facilities and compares these practices with evidence-based care...
- Religious leaders key in the Middle East's HIV/AIDS fightJan McGirk
Lancet 372:279-80. 2008
- Breaking the poverty/malnutrition cycle in Africa and the Middle EastTola Atinmo
Department of Human Nutrition, University of Ibadan, Nigeria
Nutr Rev 67:S40-6. 2009..Although strategies are underway to address certain problems in Africa and the Middle East, much remains to be done...
- Ethnically diverse causes of Walker-Warburg syndrome (WWS): FCMD mutations are a more common cause of WWS outside of the Middle EastM Chiara Manzini
Division of Genetics, Children s Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Hum Mutat 29:E231-41. 2008..Notably, the FCMD gene was a more common cause of WWS than previously expected in the European/American subset of our cohort, including all Ashkenazi Jewish cases, who carried the same founder mutation...
- Susceptibility of sand flies to selected insecticides in North Africa and the Middle EastG E Tetreault
Vector Biology Research Program, US Naval Medical Research Unit Number Three, AE 09835, USA
J Am Mosq Control Assoc 17:23-7. 2001..was to determine the baseline susceptibility of 4 species of phlebotomine sand flies from North Africa and the Middle East to various insecticides...
- Cross-national burden of painful diabetic peripheral neuropathy in Asia, Latin America, and the Middle EastDeborah L Hoffman
Pfizer, Inc, New London, Connecticut, USA
Pain Pract 9:35-42. 2009..Study sample is: 401 patients (163 in Asia, 110 in Latin America and 128 in the Middle East), mostly female (61%) (+/- standard deviation, SD), age of 57 +/- 10 years...
- Genetic and biological diversity among populations of Leishmania major from Central Asia, the Middle East and AfricaMustafa Elfari
Department of Parasitology, Institute of Microbiology and Hygiene, Charite University Medicine Berlin, Dorotheenstr 96, D 10098 Berlin, Germany
Microbes Infect 7:93-103. 2005..Rhombomys opimus, and fat sand rats, Psammomys obesus, are the main reservoir hosts in Central Asia and the Middle East, respectively...
- Mitochondrial DNA variation of modern Tuscans supports the near eastern origin of EtruscansAlessandro Achilli
Dipartimento di Genetica e Microbiologia, Universita di Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Am J Hum Genet 80:759-68. 2007..Such a genetic contribution has been extensively diluted by admixture, but it appears that there are still locations in Tuscany, such as Murlo, where traces of its arrival are easily detectable...
- Middle East coastal ecosystem response to middle-to-late Holocene abrupt climate changesD Kaniewski
Laboratoire d Ecologie Fonctionnelle, Université Paul Sabatier Toulouse 3, Unité Mixte de Recherche 5245 Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Institut National Polytechnique de Toulouse, Toulouse, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:13941-6. 2008..2050 B.C. The impact of the 3.5 to 2.5 cal kyr BP ACC on human occupation and cultural development is important along the Syrian coast with the destruction of Ugarit and the collapse of the Ugarit kingdom at ca. 1190 to 1185 B.C...
- Mental health of recently resettled refugees from the Middle East in Sweden: the impact of pre-resettlement trauma, resettlement stress and capacity to handle stressFredrik Lindencrona
Dept of Clinical Neuroscience, Psychiatry HS, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm University, c o Stress Research Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 43:121-31. 2008..A person's capacity to handle stress plays significant, direct and mediating roles in both models. The impact of resettlement stressors in the context of the whole migration process for different mental health outcomes is discussed...
- New genetic evidence supports isolation and drift in the Ladin communities of the South Tyrolean Alps but not an ancient origin in the Middle EastMark G Thomas
Department of Biology, University College London, London NW1 2HE, UK
Eur J Hum Genet 16:124-34. 2008....
- Genetic mapping of the duffy binding protein (DBP) ligand domain of Plasmodium vivax from unstable malaria region in the Middle EastLaleh Babaeekho
Malaria and Vector Research Group MVRG, Biotechnology Research Center, Pasteur Institute of Iran, Tehran, Iran
Am J Trop Med Hyg 80:112-8. 2009..It is suggested that to develop polyvalent vaccine against P. vivax infection, it is better to incorporate the common and high prevalent allelic variants of the antigen that were reported from different malaria endemic regions...
- Genetically heterogeneous selective intestinal malabsorption of vitamin B12: founder effects, consanguinity, and high clinical awareness explain aggregations in Scandinavia and the Middle EastStephan M Tanner
Human Cancer Genetics Program, Comprehensive Cancer Center, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
Hum Mutat 23:327-33. 2004..We suggest that in both regions, physician awareness of this disease causes it to be more readily diagnosed than elsewhere; thus, it may well be more common worldwide than previously thought...
- The association of vacA genotypes and Helicobacter pylori-related gastroduodenal diseases in the Middle EastM Sugimoto
Department of Medicine, Michael E DeBakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Baylor College of Medicine, 2002 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 28:1227-36. 2009..whether these vacA genotypes are associated with the development of gastric cancer and peptic ulcer in the Middle East. The aim was to identify the prevalence of vacA genotypes in the Middle East and the association with ..
- Adapting smoking cessation interventions for developing countries: a model for the Middle EastW Maziak
Syrian Center for Tobacco Studies, Aleppo, Syrian Arab Republic
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 8:403-13. 2004..To describe the rationale and methods for the development of culturally-sensitive smoking cessation interventions for primary care settings in developing countries...
- Increased seasonality in Middle East temperatures during the last interglacial periodThomas Felis
DFG Forschungszentrum Ozeanränder, Universitat Bremen, 28359 Bremen, Germany
Nature 429:164-8. 2004..a tendency towards the high-index state of the North Atlantic Oscillation during the last interglacial period, which is consistent with European proxy records, contributed to the larger amplitude of the seasonal cycle in the Middle East.
- Caring for your Muslim patients. Stereotypes and misunderstandings affect the care of patients from the Middle East and other parts of the Eslamic WorldDorothy L Pennachio
Med Econ 82:46-50. 2005
- Abortion and Islam: policies and practice in the Middle East and North AfricaLeila Hessini
Reprod Health Matters 15:75-84. 2007..to support or hinder women's access to safe abortion services in the 21 predominantly Muslim countries of the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region, where one in ten pregnancies ends in abortion...
- Where west meets east: the complex mtDNA landscape of the southwest and Central Asian corridorLluis Quintana-Murci
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique CNRS URA 1961, Institut Pasteur, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Am J Hum Genet 74:827-45. 2004....
- The Near Eastern origin of cat domesticationCarlos A Driscoll
Laboratory of Genomic Diversity, National Cancer Institute, Frederick, MD 21702, USA
Science 317:519-23. 2007..Domestic cats derive from at least five founders from across this region, whose descendants were transported across the world by human assistance...
- Frequency of cytokine polymorphisms in populations from western Europe, Africa, Asia, the Middle East and South AmericaAshley Meenagh
Northern Ireland Regional Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics Laboratory, City Hospital, Belfast, Northern Ireland
Hum Immunol 63:1055-61. 2002..Five populations were investigated, Northern Ireland, South African Zulu, Omani, Singapore Chinese and Mexican Mestizos...
- Evolutionary relationship between Old World West Nile virus strains. Evidence for viral gene flow between Africa, the Middle East, and EuropeR N Charrel
Unite des Virus Emergents, Faculté de Médecine de Marseille and Institut de Médecine Tropicale du Service de Santé des Armées, IFR48 IRD UR034, Marseille, France
Virology 315:381-8. 2003..For rapid completion of that purpose, colinearized E-NS3-NS5 gene sequences were shown to constitute a valuable surrogate for complete sequences...
- The distribution of Akabane virus in the Middle EastW P Taylor
Institute for Animal Health, Pirbright Laboratory, Woking, Surrey, UK
Epidemiol Infect 113:175-85. 1994..Thereafter, serum collections from the Middle East were screened for the presence of neutralizing antibodies to Akabane virus...
- The limitations on choice: Palestinian women's childbirth location, dissatisfaction with the place of birth and determinantsRita Giacaman
Institute of Community and Public Health, Birzeit University Birzeit, Palestine
Eur J Public Health 17:86-91. 2007..We further identify some of the determinants of women's dissatisfaction with childbirth location...
- Olanzapine versus chlorpromazine in the treatment of schizophrenia: a pooled analysis of four 6-week, randomized, open-label studies in the Middle East and North AfricaMartin Dossenbach
Eli Lilly Austria Medical Department, Eli Lilly Regional GmbH, Vienna, Austria
J Clin Psychopharmacol 27:329-37. 2007..09 +/- 1.11; chlorpromazine, 0.72 +/- 2.04; P = 0.042). This analysis suggests that, compared with chlorpromazine, olanzapine may be more efficacious and have a more favorable tolerability profile in treating patients with schizophrenia...
- HIV surveillance and epidemic profile in the Middle East and North AfricaSherine Shawky
Social Research Center, American University in Cairo, Egypt
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 51:S83-95. 2009..Despite that the countries in the Middle East and North Africa have succeeded in keeping low the HIV epidemic rates, the number of identified infected cases ..
- Health in the middle EastWasim Maziak
BMJ 333:815-6. 2006
- Cancer registration in the Middle EastL S Freedman
Department of Mathematics Statistics and Computer Science, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan, Israel
Epidemiology 12:131-3. 2001This project signals an advance in cancer registration in the Middle East region...
- Peritoneal dialysis in iran and the middle EastIraj Najafi
Shafa CAPD Research Center and Urology Research Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Perit Dial Int 29:S217-21. 2009The countries of the Middle East have a cumulative population of 261.1 million and a mean gross national income per capita of US$9500...
- Cancer patterns in the Middle East--special report from the Middle East Cancer SocietyE Kahan
Institute of Occupational Health, Tel Aviv University, Israel
Acta Oncol 36:631-6. 1997To update its cancer statistics, the newly established Middle East Cancer Society examined the cancer frequency patterns in Egypt and the Gaza Strip. The results revealed differing overall patterns...
- Drowning in a high-income developing country in the Middle East: newspapers as an essential resource for injury surveillancePeter Barss
Department of Community Medicine, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, UAE University, Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
J Sci Med Sport 12:164-70. 2009..Newspapers with electronic searching on health terms, including injuries, would be a national asset for surveillance...
- Brucellosis in the middle East: a persistent medical, socioeconomic and political issueG Pappas
Institute for Continuing Medical Education of Ioannina, Greece
J Chemother 19:243-8. 2007..In the Middle East, more pronouncedly than elsewhere, brucellosis exhibits significant socioeconomic and political correlations, ..
- Micronutrient deficiency conditions in the Middle East region: an overviewO M Galal
International Health Programs, School of Public Health, 10833 Le Conte Avenue, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Public Health Rev 28:1-12. 2000The Middle East is perhaps the world's best laboratory for learning more about iron and zinc deficiencies, and their widespread prevalence contributes much to constraining the quality of life for a large share of the population...
- Major depressive disorder, mental health care, and the use of guidelines in the Middle EastOguz Karamustafalioglu
Department of Psychiatry, Sisli Etfal Teaching and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
J Clin Psychiatry 71:e07. 2010..the number of people needing treatment and the number of people receiving treatment for depression in the Middle East. Barriers to mental health care in the region have included the lack of education for primary health care ..
- Characterizing mineral dusts and other aerosols from the Middle East--Part 1: ambient samplingJohann P Engelbrecht
Desert Research Institute, 2215 Raggio Parkway, Reno, Nevada 89512 1095, USA
Inhal Toxicol 21:297-326. 2009..In all instances, quartz grains had rounded edges and mineral grains were generally coated by clay minerals and iron oxides...
- Traditional healing with animals (zootherapy): medieval to present-day Levantine practiceEfraim Lev
Department of Eretz Israel Studies, Jordan Valley College and University of Haifa, Israel
J Ethnopharmacol 85:107-18. 2003..The use of other materials of animal origin came to an end in the course of history because of change in the moral outlook of modern societies. Among the latter we note mummy, silkworm, stinkbug, scarabees, snail, scorpion, and triton...
- Newborn screening: experiences in the Middle East and North AfricaA A Saadallah
National Laboratory for Newborn Screening, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Centre, MBC 03, PO Box 3354, Riyadh, 11211, Saudi Arabia
J Inherit Metab Dis 30:482-9. 2007This review presents the current experiences with newborn screening in the Middle East and North Africa region. The population in the region is about 400 million, with high birth rate and an estimated 10 million newborns per year...
- Biosimilars: opinion of an expert panel in the Middle EastS Bohlega
Department of Neuroscience, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Centre, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Curr Med Res Opin 24:2897-903. 2008..Therefore, the registration of these products requires more stringent evaluation than that for conventional generics...
- Public-health challenges in the Middle East and North AfricaFrancisca Ayodeji Akala
The World Bank, Middle East and North Africa Region, Human Development Sector, Washington, DC 20433, USA
Lancet 367:961-4. 2006
- Hepatitis A shifting epidemiology in the Middle East and AfricaH Tufenkeji
Department of Paediatrics, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Centre, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Vaccine 18:S65-7. 2000Data on the endemicity of hepatitis A virus (HAV) infection in Africa and the Middle East are scant, but most of Africa appears to remain a high endemicity region, with the exception of subpopulations in some areas, e.g...
- A snapshot of medical journals from the Middle EastFarrokh Habibzadeh
Lancet 367:978. 2006
- Bleeding pattern, tolerance and patient satisfaction with a drospirenone-containing oral contraceptive evaluated in 3488 women in Europe, the Middle East and CanadaJan S Endrikat
Bayer Inc, Medical and Scientific Affairs, ON, Canada
Contraception 79:428-32. 2009..This study was conducted to assess the bleeding pattern, tolerance and patient satisfaction associated with an oral contraceptive (OC) containing 3 mg of drospirenone and 30 mcg of ethinyl estradiol under real-life conditions...
- Recent epidemiology and ecology of influenza A viruses in avian species in Europe and the Middle EastI H Brown
Veterinary Laboratories Agency Weybridge, Addlestone, Surrey, United Kingdom
Dev Biol (Basel) 124:45-50. 2006..outbreaks of LPAI or HPAI in poultry caused by H5 or H7 viruses in the last eight years in Europe and the Middle East. There appears to be an increased occurrence of such episodes consistent with global trends...
- Anthropology. Autonomous cultivation before domesticationEhud Weiss
Martin Szusz Department of Land of Israel Studies and Archaeology and Faculty of Life Sciences, Bar Ilan University, 52900 Ramat Gan, Israel
Science 312:1608-10. 2006
- The epidemiology of pneumococcal, meningococcal, and Haemophilus disease in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region--current status and needsWilliam P Hausdorff
GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals, Rue de l Institut 89, B 1330 Rixensart, Belgium
Vaccine 25:1935-44. 2007..In doing so, it highlights the need for additional surveillance studies to better measure the burden of these diseases, as well as the potential impact of introduction of new vaccines against these pathogens...
- Antigenic analysis of serotype O foot-and-mouth disease virus isolates from the Middle East, 1981 to 1988A R Samuel
World Reference Laboratory for Foot and Mouth Disease, AFRC Institute for Animal Health, Pirbright Laboratory, Woking, Surrey, UK
Vaccine 8:390-6. 1990..period 1981-88 foot-and-mouth disease virus (FMDV) serotype O continued to be isolated from outbreaks in the Middle East. Field isolates submitted to the World Reference Laboratory have been examined in relation to reference strains ..
- Distribution of hepatitis C virus genotypes in the Middle EastS Ramia
Department of Medical Laboratory Technology, Faculty of Health Sciences, American University of Beirut, Riad El Soloh, 1107 2020, Beirut, Lebanon
Int J Infect Dis 10:272-7. 2006..Accumulated data show that there are two main patterns for the distribution of HCV genotypes in the Middle East: in the first pattern, genotype 4 is prevalent in most of the Arab countries, and in the second pattern, ..
- Helicobacter pylori: the Middle East scenarioB H Novis
Gastroenterology Unit, Meir Hospital, Kfar Saba, Israel
Yale J Biol Med 71:135-41. 1998A review of Helicobacter pylori in the Middle East is presented. Prevalence studies have been performed in asymptomatic population groups from Algeria, Israel, Saudi Arabia and Turkey. These showed that the prevalence of H...
- LRRK2 G2019S in families with Parkinson disease who originated from Europe and the Middle East: evidence of two distinct founding events beginning two millennia agoCyrus P Zabetian
Geriatric Research Education and Clinical Center, Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle, WA 98108, USA
Am J Hum Genet 79:752-8. 2006..Our data suggest two separate founding events for G2019S in these populations, beginning at a time that coincides with the Jewish Diasporas...
- The Y chromosome pool of Jews as part of the genetic landscape of the Middle EastA Nebel
Department of Hematology, Hebrew University-Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
Am J Hum Genet 69:1095-112. 2001..The present study contributes to the elucidation of the complex demographic history that shaped the present-day genetic landscape in the region...
- Genetics of congenital deafness in the Palestinian population: multiple connexin 26 alleles with shared origins in the Middle EastHashem Shahin
Department of Human Genetics and Molecular Medicine, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, 69978 Israel
Hum Genet 110:284-9. 2002..Some of the 25 families with multiple cases of inherited prelingual deafness and wildtype GJB2 sequences may represent as-yet-unknown genes for inherited hearing loss...
- [The Alkhurma virus (family Flaviviridae, genus Flavivirus): an emerging pathogen responsible for hemorrhage fever in the Middle East]R N Charrel
Med Trop (Mars) 63:296-9. 2003..Genetic analysis of several human strains sequentially isolated over a 5-year period showed a very low diversity. This finding has important potential implications for diagnosis and vaccination...
- Renal transplantation practice in Iran and the Middle East: report from Iran and a review of the literatureBehzad Einollahi
Nephrology and Urology Research Center, Baqiyatallah University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Ann Transplant 13:5-14. 2008..The Iranian transplant program is the most active in the Middle East region in providing equitable, quick, and intermediary-free access to affordable kidney transplantation for ..
- Nutrition-related health patterns in the Middle EastOsman Galal
International Union of Nutritional Sciences
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 12:337-43. 2003Nutritionally-related health patterns in the Middle East have changed significantly during the last two decades...
- Middle East and North Africa consensus on osteoporosisG Maalouf
Lebanese Osteoporosis Prevention Society, Shariati Hospital, Iran
J Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact 7:131-43. 2007..The magnitude of the disease may become larger in developing countries, more particularly in the Middle East region where the prevalence of low bone mass is higher than in western countries...
- Trust across borders: responding to 2009 H1N1 influenza in the Middle EastLouise Gresham
Health Security and Epidemiology, Nuclear Threat Initiative in Washington, DC 20006, USA
Biosecur Bioterror 7:399-404. 2009Disease surveillance networks in the Middle East, Southeast Asia, and Africa are models for the kind of transnational cooperation that can mount the needed flexible and coordinated response to the spread of 2009 H1N1 influenza and future ..
- Ecological niche model of Phlebotomus alexandri and P. papatasi (Diptera: Psychodidae) in the Middle EastMichelle G Colacicco-Mayhugh
Department of Sand Fly Biology, Division of Entomology, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, 503 Robert Grant Avenue, Silver Spring, MD 20910, USA
Int J Health Geogr 9:2. 2010..alexandri (Sinton), across the Middle East. Phlebotomus alexandri is a vector of visceral leishmaniasis, while P...
- Rituals, ceremonies and customs related to sacred trees with a special reference to the Middle EastAmots Dafni
Institute of Evolution, Haifa University, Haifa 31905, Israel
J Ethnobiol Ethnomed 3:28. 2007..Most of the customs surveyed here are known from other parts of the world. The differences between Muslims and Druze are related to the latter's belief in the transmigration of souls...
- Identification of novel canine rabies virus clades in the Middle East and North AfricaDan David
Rabies Laboratory, Pathology Division, Kimron Veterinary Institute, Bet Dagan 50250, Israel
J Gen Virol 88:967-80. 2007Four novel phylogenetic clades of canine rabies virus (RABV) variants have been identified in the Middle East and North Africa...
- Reconstructed materia medica of the Medieval and Ottoman al-ShamEfraim Lev
Jordan Valley College, University of Haifa, Haifa, Israel
J Ethnopharmacol 80:167-79. 2002..Finally, our data revealed that the al-Sham region was an independent source of production and marketing of medicinal substances during the medieval and Ottoman periods...
- The rabies situation in the Middle EastA Seimenis
WHO Mediterranean Zoonoses Control Centre, Athens, Greece
Dev Biol (Basel) 131:43-53. 2008..Certain countries of the Middle East region are facing increasing problems due to wildlife rabies, including Saudi Arabia, Oman, Yemen, Israel, Iran ..
- Children's environmental health in Central Asia and the Middle eastDavid O Carpenter
Institute for Health and the Environment, University at Albany SUNY, Rensselaer, New York 12144 3429, USA
Int J Occup Environ Health 12:362-8. 2006Children in Central Asia and the Middle East bear disproportionate environmental threats to health, of which the most widespread and serious result from poverty, malnutrition, lack of access to safe drinking water and food, and exposures ..
- Venomous snakes of Saudi Arabia and the Middle East: a keynote for travellersM Ismail
Graduate Studies and Research, October6 University, 6th of October City, Main Center 111, Egypt
Int J Antimicrob Agents 21:164-9. 2003Geographically Saudi Arabia and the Middle East include Asian Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Israel, Palestine, the Arabian Peninsula, Iraq, Iran and the previous Southern Asiatic Soviet Republics...
- Genetic diversity analysis of wild close relatives of barley from Tibet and the Middle East by ISSR and SSR markersAihua Wang
Key Laboratory of Ministry of Education for Plant Developmental Biology, College of Life Sciences, Wuhan University, Wuhan 430072, P R China
C R Biol 332:393-403. 2009..of barley from the Tibet region of China and 45 wild accessions from different countries throughout the Middle East, were carried out using ISSR and SSR markers...
- A quantitative analysis of medical publications from Arab countriesSami F Shaban
Department of Medical Education, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, UAE University, Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
Saudi Med J 24:294-6. 2003....
- Diabetes risk score in Oman: a tool to identify prevalent type 2 diabetes among Arabs of the Middle EastJ A Al-Lawati
Department of the Non communicable Diseases Surveillance and Control Ministry of Health, Muscat 113, Muscat, Oman
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 77:438-44. 2007..In comparison, the self-administered diabetes risk score of Oman could identify most individuals at high risk of having type 2 diabetes in community-based settings in Oman...
- Low levels of genetic divergence across geographically and linguistically diverse populations from IndiaNoah A Rosenberg
Department of Human Genetics, Bioinformatics Program, and the Life Sciences Institute, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States of America
PLoS Genet 2:e215. 2006....
- Ankle-brachial index and extent of atherosclerosis in patients from the Middle East (the AGATHA-ME study): a cross-sectional multicenter studyAyman El-Menyar
Department of Cardiology and Cardiovascular Surgery, Medical Research Center Hamad Medical Corporation, Qatar
Angiology 60:329-34. 2009To assess the extent of atherothrombosis and the use of the ankle-brachial index (ABI) in populations from the Middle East, we conducted a multicenter study similar to AGATHA (a Global Atherothrombosis Assessment), AGATHA-ME, which ..
- Coeliac disease in developing countries: Middle East, India and North AfricaReza Malekzadeh
Digestive Disease Research Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Shariati Hospital, Kargar Shomali Avenue, Tehran, Iran
Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 19:351-8. 2005..disease (CD) in the 1980s, it gradually became clear that the prevalence of CD in different countries in the Middle East, North Africa and India is almost the same as that in Western countries...
- The utility and interpretation of tuberculin skin tests in the Middle EastHamdan Al-Jahdali
Division of Pulmonary, Department of Medicine, King Fahad National Guard Hospital, King Abdulaziz Medical City, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Am J Infect Control 33:151-6. 2005..In the Middle East, the TST remains a useful test...
- Determinants of anemia in pre-school children in the occupied Palestinian territoryS Halileh
Institute of Community and Public Health, Birzeit University, West Bank, Occupied Palestinian Territory Department of Bioethics, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
J Trop Pediatr 52:12-8. 2006..In addition, region was an independent risk factor for anemia - in the West Bank there were fewer anemic children in the age group 6-35 months compared to children from the same age group living in the Gaza Strip...
- Cerebral venous thrombosis: a descriptive multicenter study of patients in Pakistan and Middle EastBhojo A Khealani
Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
Stroke 39:2707-11. 2008The natural history, causative factors, and outcomes of patients with cerebral venous thrombosis from Asia and Middle East have not been well described...
- Timing and deciphering mitochondrial DNA macro-haplogroup R0 variability in Central Europe and Middle EastAnita Brandstätter
Institute of Legal Medicine, Innsbruck Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
BMC Evol Biol 8:191. 2008..Here we describe the phylogenetic structure and genetic variety of hg R0 in five European populations and one population from the Middle East.
- Carotid artery intima media thickness, plaque and Framingham cardiovascular score in Asia, Africa/Middle East and Latin America: the PARC-AALA studyPierre Jean Touboul
Department of Neurology and Stroke Centre, Denis Diderot University Paris VII, 48 Rue R Huchard, Paris 75018, France
Int J Cardiovasc Imaging 23:557-67. 2007The PARC-AALA (Paroi artérielle et Risque Cardiovasculaire in Asia Africa/ Middle East and Latin America) study was designed to evaluate the correlation between intima-media thickness of the common carotid artery (CCAIMT), carotid ..
- Physician assessment of stroke risk in hypertensive patients in the Middle East and Africa: results of the action surveyKamal F Badr
Department of Internal Medicine, American University of Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon
Ethn Dis 17:274-9. 2007..national data, the ACTION survey was designed to: a) provide preliminary data on stroke risk in the MEA (Middle East and Africa); b) describe the contribution of specific cardiovascular risk factors; 3) assess blood pressure (BP)..
- Dental caries trends in 5- to 6-year-old and 11- to 13-year-old children in three UNICEF designated regions--Sub Saharan Africa, Middle East and North Africa, Latin America and Caribbean: 1970-2004Peter Cleaton-Jones
Dental Research Institute, University of the Witwatersrand, Wits, South Africa
Int Dent J 56:294-300. 2006..The aim of the study was to investigate trends in dental caries prevalence and severity in three developing regions of the world over 35 years...
- Regional collaboration in the Middle East to deal with H5N1 avian fluAlex Leventhal
Israel Ministry of Health, PO Box 1176, Jerusalem 91010, Israel
BMJ 333:856-8. 2006
- Maternal and child health in the occupied Palestinian territoryHanan F Abdul Rahim
Institute of Community and Public Health, Birzeit University, Birzeit
Lancet 373:967-77. 2009..Urgent action from international and local decision makers is needed for sustainable access to high-quality care and basic health entitlements...
- Update on road traffic crashes: progress in the Middle EastWahid Al-Kharusi
Orthopaedics and Trauma, Khoula Hospital, PO Box 3007, Ruwi, 112, Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
Clin Orthop Relat Res 466:2457-64. 2008..Globally we spend approximately US $500 billion annually. The Middle East encompasses West Asia and North Africa and is very diverse economically, culturally and socially...
- Geographical partitioning of goat diversity in Europe and the Middle EastJ Canon
Department of Animal Production, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad Complutense, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Anim Genet 37:327-34. 2006..allele frequencies and multivariate analysis revealed at least four discrete clusters: eastern Mediterranean (Middle East), central Mediterranean, western Mediterranean and central/northern Europe...
- Rickets in the Middle East: role of environment and genetic predispositionGiampiero I Baroncelli
Department of Pediatrics, University of Pisa, Via Roma 67, Pisa, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:1743-50. 2008The Middle East has a high incidence of rickets, and it is also common in Europe-dwelling children of Middle Eastern origin.
- Incidence, prevalence, and treatment of end-stage renal disease in the Middle EastOmar Abboud
Department of Medicine, Hamad Medical Corporation, Doha, Qatar
Ethn Dis 16:S2-2-4. 2006This article reviews the status of end-stage renal disease in the Middle East, with emphasis on its incidence, prevalence, and treatment.
- Comparison of two multiple-locus variable-number tandem-repeat analysis methods for molecular strain typing of human Brucella melitensis isolates from the Middle EastRebekah V Tiller
US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Clin Microbiol 47:2226-31. 2009..melitensis strains...
- Statin modulation of immunotherapy for Alzheimer diseaseJun Tan; Fiscal Year: 2012..is expected to rise dramatically through the mid 21st century, concurrently with various conflicts in the Middle East. It is projected the number of AD patients in the U.S.A. will rise to 13...
- ANALYSIS OF TRYPANOSOME MRNA SYNTHESIS BY GENE TRANSFERVivian Bellofatto; Fiscal Year: 2010..The goal of our biomedical work is to define unique features of trypanosome biology and then to exploit these traits for the design of anti-parasitic chemotherapies. ..
- Severe H1N1 Influenza Infection During Pregnancy: Pathophysiologic MechanismsMark Phillippe; Fiscal Year: 2010..and early June, this novel H1N1 infection spread to multiple other countries in the Americas, Europe, Asia, the Middle East, and the Pacific basin, resulting in the World Health Organization (WHO) increasing its influenza threat rating ..
- SCHISTOSOME EGG INDUCED TH2 RESPONSESEdward J Pearce; Fiscal Year: 2013..of mass chemotherapy programs, schistosomiasis remains a very significant cause of human disease in Africa, The Middle East, Asia and South America...
- International Conf on Alzheimer Disease and Related Disorders in the Middle EastChangiz Geula; Fiscal Year: 2013..There has been little work done on dementia in the Middle East. This is an important issue because of the progressive aging of the populations of the world, including the ..
- Keratinocyte regulation of skin immunityAnthony A Gaspari; Fiscal Year: 2013..Veterans returning from the Middle East Conflicts will experience health problems, including diseases of the immune system that will affect the skin, ..
- Orientia tsutsugamushi modulation of host cell ubiquitination machineryJason A Carlyon; Fiscal Year: 2013..S. soldiers serving in the Middle East. The causative agent is the chigger-transmitted obligate intracellular bacterium, Orientia tsutsugamushi, which ..
- Telomere dysfunction, chromosome 9 instability and bladder cancer riskYun Ling Zheng; Fiscal Year: 2013..most common malignancy in men from developed countries, whereas it is the most common malignancy in men in the Middle East and sub-Saharan Africa...
- Virulence-Associated Proteins of Pathogenic Leptospira SpeciesJames Matsunaga; Fiscal Year: 2012..cause of illness for military personnel serving in many areas of the world, including Afghanistan and the Middle East. Ocular and neurologic manifestations of leptospirosis may not appear for several months to years following the ..
- Brain injury due to transcranial versus transthoracic blast exposureJ Marc Simard; Fiscal Year: 2013..blast-TBI) is a leading cause of death and disability in soldiers and veterans involved in recent wars in the Middle East, and in civilians exposed to terrorist acts...
- Mechanisms of Cardiac Function and Cerebral Vascular Control during Heat StressRobert Matthew Brothers; Fiscal Year: 2010..Such individuals may be soldiers fighting in conditions in which environmental temperature is elevated (e.g. Middle East), firefighters and police officers who serve in warmer climate locations, or any other incidents (e.g...
- Gene Discovery for Hearing Loss in Middle East by Massively Parallel SequencingMoien Kanaan; Fiscal Year: 2013..and massively parallel sequencing technologies will be used to identify mutations in the deaf population of the Middle East, including 270 Israeli Jews and 212 Palestinian Arabs...
- Location: Its role in protein-RNA contact during trypanosome gene regulationVivian Bellofatto; Fiscal Year: 2013..human populations in other parts of the world, including South and Central America, Southeastern Asia and the Middle East. Our long-term goal is to understand, in biochemical and genetic detail, the mechanisms that coordinate gene ..
- Health Effects of Adolescent Water Pipe Smoking with &without Cigarette SmokingVirginia Hill Rice; Fiscal Year: 2012..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: Water pipe smoking (WPS) is a very old tradition in the Middle East, North Africa, and Asia, which is now growing in use around the world and in the United States...
- INJURY PREVENTION TRAINING IN EGYPT AND THE MIDDLE EASTJon Mark Hirshon; Fiscal Year: 2013..of our program to expand research and training opportunities for injury-related research in Egypt and the Arab Middle East, 3) To expand our select group of health professionals trained in our intensive summer injury research training ..
- Human Epilepsy Genetics - Neuronal Migration DisordersChristopher A Walsh; Fiscal Year: 2013..Ascertainment of families is focused in the Middle East and surrounding regions where the prevalence of intra-familial marriage and large family size enriches this ..
- Role of B cells in the Cell-Mediated Immune Response to Leishmania amazonensisKatherine Nicole Gibson Corley; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Leishmaniasis is a vector-borne zoonotic disease endemic to the Middle East, Asia, Africa and Central America...
- Prevalence of Dementia in Lebanon: A Nationwide Community-Based Cohort StudyGunhild Waldemar; Fiscal Year: 2012..In North Africa and the Middle East, research activities into dementia are generally lacking and no reliable database exists to help promote and ..
- Fifth International Conference on Alzheimer's Disease in the MEChangiz Geula; Fiscal Year: 2009..There has been little work done on dementia in the Middle East. This is an important issue because of the progressive aging of the populations of the world, including the ..
- UCLA - Cairo University Addiction Unit Research Training ProgramRichard A Rawson; Fiscal Year: 2013..provided by applicant): Cairo University (Kasr El-Ainy) is a leading educational institution in Egypt and the Middle East and has been a leading medical training institution for almost a century, training MDs as practitioners and ..
- MOLECULAR GENETICS OF LEISHMANIAStephen M Beverley; Fiscal Year: 2013..leishmaniasis is a common opportunistic infection in AIDS patients, and many US soldiers now stationed in the Middle East have been infected...
- Rapid tests for Chlamydia and Neglected Tropical DiseasesAbhay N Vats; Fiscal Year: 2013..trachomatis, is a leading cause of blindness for poverty-stricken communities in Africa, Asia, and the Middle East. Trachoma was once widespread globally, but has vanished from the developed world...
- Development of iPS Cells for Treatment of HemoglobinopathiesYuet Wai Kan; Fiscal Year: 2013..afflicted with SCD and B-thalassemia that are common among the peoples of Africa, the Mediterranean, the Middle East, and Asia as well as their descendents in the U.S...
- Khat Research Program: Neurobehavioral Impact of Long-Term UseMUSTAFA N AL apos ABSI; Fiscal Year: 2010..research and training program focusing on khat, a psychostimulant plant widely used in Africa and the Middle East associated with significant neurobehavioral and health effects...
- Mental health in Iraqi refugees: Importance of post-displacement social stressorsBengt Birger Arnetz; Fiscal Year: 2013..proposal is to compare mental health over time in a random sample of newly arrived Iraqi refugees and legal Middle East immigrant controls...
- Environmental Changes and Mosquito-Borne Diseases in Arid EnvironmentsJohn C Beier; Fiscal Year: 2013..In response to rapidly expanding human populations many countries in the Middle East are developing unprecedented large-scale agricultural irrigation systems to increase food production...
- Epidemiology of drug use, HIV/AIDS and high risk behaviors in EgyptAmira A Roess; Fiscal Year: 2013..Evidence suggests that throughout the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) there are active high-risk networks where HIV is being transmitted and clustering in ..
- Population Based Epidemiological Studies on Influenza/Other Respiratory PathogensDARRELL SINGER; Fiscal Year: 2012..are strategically located in three widely disparate locations of the world, including South America, the Middle East, and Southeast Asia...
- Capacity Building for Tobacco Control in Tunisia, North Africa &Middle EastHarry Alan Lando; Fiscal Year: 2012..Tunisia recently ratified the FCTC and is strategically located to reach countries in Northern Africa and the Middle East. We will work through our existing partnership on chronic disease prevention and will leverage resources within ..
- Crucial Transitions among Young Opioid Users in IranMohsen Malekinejad; Fiscal Year: 2011..applicant): This is an exploratory developmental study into crucial areas of drug use and HIV prevention in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region...
- Preventing Military Post-Deployment Adjustment Problems: Key Family ProcessesJAMES J SNYDER; Fiscal Year: 2013..Military service personnel experience high rates of PTSD, depression, and drug and alcohol use on return from Middle East Conflicts...
- Radiotherapy outcomes for children in developing versus developed countriesPhillip J Taddei; Fiscal Year: 2013..of Beirut Medical Center is a leading specialty hospital treating cancers in a developing country in the Middle East and an internationally recognized research institution...
- Health Risk Behaviors Among Palestinian YouthPETER L GLICK; Fiscal Year: 2013..is known about HIV sexual risk behaviors and other health risk behaviors such as drug use among youth in the Middle East and North Africa...
- Depression and Anxiety Spectrum Disorders: From Basic Science to the Clinic and BSuzanne N Haber; Fiscal Year: 2011..was chosen as a result of the expressed interests and needs of clinicians and scientists we spoke to in the Middle East. The members of the Executive Committee are a cross-section of basic and clinical scientists, representing ..
- Collaborative Research on Cognitive Correlates of Clinical DepressionMark A Gluck; Fiscal Year: 2013..Territories, these new programs will be a formidable contributor to research and health care in the West Bank, as well as a viable research and educational partner for collaborative relationships worldwide and in the Middle East.
- Combined SNP analysis and whole genome sequencing to discover immunodeficiency geRAIF SALIM GEHA; Fiscal Year: 2012..We have established a research network with PID centers in the Middle East and have collected 26 unrelated consanguineous families...
- Symposium on Alzheimer's Disease in the Middle EastROBERT FRIEDLAND; Fiscal Year: 2005..Although there has been little work done on dementia in the Middle East, there is evidence-from our studies in Arabs residing in Israel-that Alzheimer's disease has a high prevalence ..
- Multi-pronged genetic studies of schizophrenia in an inbred populationVISHWAJIT LAXMIKANT NIMGAONKAR; Fiscal Year: 2013..in harnessing genomics research, as well as recognition of the public health relevance of consanguinity in the Middle East. Accordingly, we have trained and assisted our Egyptian colleagues to establish a genetics research group at MU,..
- Vector-Borne Disease Control in Urban Environments (RMI)John C Beier; Fiscal Year: 2006..ecology and control of mosquito-borne diseases at 7 selected cities in three regions: East Africa (Kenya), the Middle East (Israel, Egypt), and Latin America-Caribbean (Trinidad and Costa Rica)...
- HIV Prevention Research and Infrastructure Development in Syria and Middle EastDavid W Seal; Fiscal Year: 2011DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): "HIV Prevention Research and Infrastructure Development in Syria and Middle East" In response to PAR-08-153 ("Collaborative HIV/AIDS Studies in the Middle East"), the Center for AIDS Intervention ..
- Middle East Research Ethics Training Initiative (MERETI)Henry J Silverman; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The overall goal of the Middle East Research Ethics Training Initiative (MERETI) training program is to ensure the sustainability of individual and institutional research ethics capacity in the ..
- Symposium on Alzheimer's Disease in the Middle EastROBERT FRIEDLAND; Fiscal Year: 2003..Although there has been little work done on dementia in the Middle East, there is evidence--from our studies in Arabs residing in Israel--that Alzheimer's disease has a high ..
- Emergence and adaption of West Nile virus in New YorkLaura Kramer; Fiscal Year: 2006..West Nile virus (WNV) has emerged in recent years in temperate regions of Europe, Eastern Europe, the Middle East, and North America, where it presents a threat to human, equine and avian health...
- First International Symposium on Alzheimer's DiseaseROBERT FRIEDLAND; Fiscal Year: 2001..Although there has been little work on dementia in the Middle East, there is evidence from our studies in Arabs residing in Israel that Alzheimer's disease has an extraordinarily ..
- Mosquito Immunity to AlphavirusesBrian Foy; Fiscal Year: 2006..West Nile virus in the Americas, Rift Valley fever virus in the Middle East, O'nyong-nyong virus in Africa)...
- SAR OF NOVEL TOPO I INHIBITOR AGAINST PROSTATE CANCERYUE WEI LEE; Fiscal Year: 2001..Boswellia carterii Birdw), a folk medicine used in the treatment of inflammatory diseases in China and the Middle East without overt toxicity...
- Regulation of mRNA Turnover in TrypanosomesVivian Bellofatto; Fiscal Year: 2003..of South and Central America) and cutaneous, mucocutaneous and visceral Leishmaniasis (endemic in parts of the Middle East and the Indian subcontinent)...
- Early Detection of Alzheimer's: Interdisciplinary and International CollaborationMark Gluck; Fiscal Year: 2007..the 2008 conference, we plan a satellite session on "Clinical Perspectives on Alzheimer's Disease in the Middle East" to be hosted by the Al Quds Palestinian Medical School, at their campus in the West Bank just a few miles east ..
- HIV & STD Risks in Tele Aviv Commercial Sex WorksJonathan Zenilman; Fiscal Year: 2004..These increases, coupled with development of a large transactional sex work industry, and the current Middle East conflict, and the current Middle East conflict have the potential to alter this pattern...
- Induction of Pathogenic Innate and Adaptive Immune Responses by Schistosome HelmiMARA SHAINHEIT; Fiscal Year: 2009..parasitic disease afflicting about 200 million people primarily in Africa, South America and some parts of the Middle East and Asia...
- Pre-Clinical Evaluation of Antimalarial Natural Products from Carica papaya L.Shuren Zhu; Fiscal Year: 2009..to Central and South America, Africa, Asia (including the Indian Subcontinent, Southeast Asia, and the Middle East), Eastern Europe, and the South Pacific may be at risk for this potentially deadly disease...
- Multidisciplinary approaches to emerging global health issuesHALA AZZAM; Fiscal Year: 2007..The support from the Fogarty International Center for these developmental activities come at a pivotal time for our campus and will lead to sustainable programs. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Molecular tools to monitor eradication of Schistosoma haematobium transmissionCharles King; Fiscal Year: 2009..The parasite is widely prevalent in Africa and the Middle East, with 120 million persons currently infected...
- Measurement of Gender Differences in Disability and CareKathryn Yount; Fiscal Year: 2002Demographic projections indicate that populating aging is imminent in the Middle East, and sex differences in longevity mean that these growing older populations increasingly consist of women...
- International Collaborative Trauma and Injury Research TrainingJunaid Abdul Razzak; Fiscal Year: 2013..use the expertise developed at AKU to strengthen research capacity in acute care of trauma and injuries in one of the most volatile regions of the world and develop a regional center of excellence for the Middle East and South Asia.
- ABNORMAL HEMOGLOBIN SYNTHESIS--MECHANISM AND DETECTIONYUET KAN; Fiscal Year: 2001..These hereditary anemias affect people from wide geographic areas, including the Mediterranean region, Africa,Middle East, Indian subcontinent and Southeast Asia...
- 12TH ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL BIOMATERIALS SYMPOSIUM-1980Buddy Ratner; Fiscal Year: 1980..have had strong representation from the countries of Western Europe, Japan, Australia, Canada, India, and the Middle East. The 12th International Biomaterials Symposium should represent a truly international forum for the exchange of ..
- 12TH ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL BIOMATERIALS SYMPOSIUM-1980Buddy Ratner; Fiscal Year: 1980..have had strong representation from the countries of Western Europe, Japan, Australia, Canada, India, and the Middle East. The 12th International Biomaterials Symposium should represent a truly international forum for the exchange of ..
- ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH CONFERENCE FOR THE MIDDLE EASTBARRY LEVY; Fiscal Year: 1992The Middle East is a region which has a rapidly growing population, a large proportion of it living in relative poverty...
- First Regional Conference on Injury and Safety Promotion - Eastern Mediterranean Jon Mark Hirshon; Fiscal Year: 2009..4 billion dollars each year, which is 1.5% of the gross national product of North Africa and the Middle East. It is critical to note that the poor and vulnerable people are disproportionately impacted by trauma and ..
- International Collaborations to Enhance the Science of CAM: Past, Present and FutCheryl Ritenbaugh; Fiscal Year: 2009..The symposium includes 8 plenary speakers arriving from North America, South America, Europe, and the Middle East. In addition, it provides a structured opportunity for networking to develop new research initiatives that ..
- WOMEN'S HEALTH CONFERENCEGWENDOLYN KEITA; Fiscal Year: 2000..of Mental Health (NIMH), will be held at the historic Wye River Conference Center (site of the Wye River Middle East Peace Accord) in Queenstown, MD, on Maryland's eastern shore...