- Translation, validation, and norming of the Dutch language version of the SF-36 Health Survey in community and chronic disease populations
N K Aaronson
Division of Psychosocial Research and Epidemiology, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Amsterdam
J Clin Epidemiol 51:1055-68. 1998
..validate, and generate normative data on the SF-36 Health Survey for use among Dutch-speaking residents of the Netherlands. Translation of the SF-36 into Dutch followed the stepwise, iterative procedures developed by the IQOLA Project...
- [Measuring the quality of life in economic evaluations: the Dutch EQ-5D tariff]
L M Lamers
Instituut Beleid en Management Gezondheidszorg, Erasmus MC, Postbus 1738, 3000 DR Rotterdam
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 149:1574-8. 2005
..To value EQ-5D health states by a general Dutch public. EQ-5D is a standardised questionnaire that is used to calculate quality-adjusted life-years for cost-utility analysis...
- Mystery swine disease in The Netherlands: the isolation of Lelystad virus
Central Veterinary Institute, Virology Department, Lelystad, The Netherlands
Vet Q 13:121-30. 1991
..Antibodies directed against Lelystad virus were also found in pigs with mystery swine disease in England, Germany, and in the United States. We conclude that infection with Lelystad virus is the likely cause of mystery swine disease...
- Parallel declines in pollinators and insect-pollinated plants in Britain and the Netherlands
J C Biesmeijer
Institute of Integrative and Comparative Biology and Earth and Biosphere Institute, University of Leeds, Leeds, LS2 9JT, UK
Science 313:351-4. 2006
..By studying bee and hoverfly assemblages in Britain and the Netherlands, we found evidence of declines (pre-versus post-1980) in local bee diversity in both countries; however, ..
- The Dutch tariff: results and arguments for an effective design for national EQ-5D valuation studies
L M Lamers
Institute for Medical Technology Assessment, Erasmus University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Health Econ 15:1121-32. 2006
..The mean absolute error was 0.030. The design of this study is recommended for national EQ-5D valuation studies...
- Successes and failures in the implementation of evidence-based guidelines for clinical practice
Center for Quality of Care Research, University of Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Med Care 39:II46-54. 2001
..However, many guidelines are not used after dissemination. Implementation activities frequently produce only moderate improvement. It is important to study specific guideline programs in detail to learn from their successes and failures...
- The Netherlands Study of Depression and Anxiety (NESDA): rationale, objectives and methods
Brenda W J H Penninx
Department of Psychiatry EMGO Institute Institute for Neurosciences, VU University Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Methods Psychiatr Res 17:121-40. 2008
The Netherlands Study of Depression and Anxiety (NESDA) is a multi-site naturalistic cohort study to: (1) describe the long-term course and consequences of depressive and anxiety disorders, and (2) to integrate biological and ..
- Transmission of H7N7 avian influenza A virus to human beings during a large outbreak in commercial poultry farms in the Netherlands
Diagnostic Laboratory for Infectious Diseases and Perinatal Screening, National Institute of Public Health and the Environment, Bilthoven, Netherlands
Lancet 363:587-93. 2004
..avian influenza A virus subtype H7N7 started at the end of February, 2003, in commercial poultry farms in the Netherlands. Although the risk of transmission of these viruses to humans was initially thought to be low, an outbreak ..
- The Generation R Study Biobank: a resource for epidemiological studies in children and their parents
Vincent W V Jaddoe
The Generation R Study Group, Erasmus Medical Center, PO Box 2040, 3000 CA, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Epidemiol 22:917-23. 2007
- Sequence analysis of bluetongue virus serotype 8 from the Netherlands 2006 and comparison to other European strains
Department of Arbovirology, Institute for Animal Health, Pirbright Laboratory, Ash Road, Woking, Surrey, GU24 0NF UK
Virology 377:308-18. 2008
During 2006 the first outbreak of bluetongue ever recorded in northern Europe started in Belgium and the Netherlands, spreading to Luxemburg, Germany and north-east France...
- Potential barriers to the use of health services among ethnic minorities: a review
JBI Institute for Rheumatology and Rehabilitation Medicine, Department of Research and Education Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Fam Pract 23:325-48. 2006
..In order to enlighten care providers, as to the potential pitfalls that may exist, there is a need to explore the different factors in the creation of the barriers...
- The burden of COPD in The Netherlands: results from the Confronting COPD survey
E F M Wouters
Department of Pulmonology, University Hospital Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Respir Med 97:S51-9. 2003
..In The Netherlands, COPD tends to be underpresented to physicians, underdiagnosed and undertreated by healthcare professionals, ..
- Survey non-response in the Netherlands: effects on prevalence estimates and associations
A Jeanne M van Loon
National Institute of Public Health and the Environment, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Ann Epidemiol 13:105-10. 2003
..Both forms of non-response bias are investigated in a study on psychosocial factors and cancer risk, which is a sub-study of a large-scale monitoring survey in the Netherlands.
- Effects of dietary folate and alcohol intake on promoter methylation in sporadic colorectal cancer: the Netherlands cohort study on diet and cancer
Manon van Engeland
The Research Institute GROW, Department of Pathology, University Maastricht, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
Cancer Res 63:3133-7. 2003
..085). Despite the size limitations of this study, these data suggest that folate and alcohol intake may be associated with changes in promoter hypermethylation in CRC...
- Prevalence, incidence and lifetime risk of atrial fibrillation: the Rotterdam study
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Erasmus Medical Center, PO Box 1738, 3000 DR Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Eur Heart J 27:949-53. 2006
..We aimed to investigate the prevalence and incidence of atrial fibrillation (AF) in a large European population-based study...
- Epidemiology of enterovirus 71 in the Netherlands, 1963 to 2008
Sabine van der Sanden
National Institute for Public Health and the Environment, RIVM, P O Box 1, 3720 BA Bilthoven, The Netherlands
J Clin Microbiol 47:2826-33. 2009
..In 2007, 58 cases of EV71 infection requiring hospitalization were reported in The Netherlands after a period of low endemicity of 21 years...
- Netherlands Twin Register: from twins to twin families
Dorret I Boomsma
Department of Biological Psychology, Vrije Universiteit, Van der Boechorststraat 1, 1081 BT Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Twin Res Hum Genet 9:849-57. 2006
In the late 1980s The Netherlands Twin Register (NTR) was established by recruiting young twins and multiples at birth and by approaching adolescent and young adult twins through city councils...
- Functional outcome at 2.5, 5, 9, and 24 months after injury in the Netherlands
Department of Public Health, ErasmusMC University Medical Center Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Trauma 62:133-41. 2007
..The collection of empirical data on the frequency, severity, and duration of functioning is a prerequisite to identify patient groups with long term or permanent disability...
- Severe maternal morbidity during pregnancy, delivery and puerperium in the Netherlands: a nationwide population-based study of 371,000 pregnancies
J J Zwart
Department of Obstetrics, Leiden University Medical Centre, Leiden, The Netherlands
BJOG 115:842-50. 2008
To assess incidence, case fatality rate, risk factors and substandard care in severe maternal morbidity in the Netherlands.
- The lifetime prevalence of traumatic events and posttraumatic stress disorder in the Netherlands
Giel Jan de Vries
Centre for Psychological Trauma, Department of Psychiatry, Academic Medical Centre, AMC de Meren, 1105 AZ, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Trauma Stress 22:259-67. 2009
..prevalence of traumatic events and posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in the general population of the Netherlands. A national representative sample of 1087 adults aged 18 to 80 years was selected using random digit dialing ..
- The Patients Assessment Chronic Illness Care (PACIC) questionnaire in The Netherlands: a validation study in rural general practice
Scientific Institute for Quality in Healthcare, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
BMC Health Serv Res 8:182. 2008
..Our aim was to develop and test a Dutch version of the PACIC questionnaire, a measure for patient reported structured chronic care...
- Longitudinal analysis of tick densities and Borrelia, Anaplasma, and Ehrlichia infections of Ixodes ricinus ticks in different habitat areas in The Netherlands
Peter R Wielinga
Microbiological Laboratory for Health Protection, National Institute for Public Health and the Environment, Antonie van Leeuwenhoeklaan 9, Bilthoven 3720 BA, The Netherlands
Appl Environ Microbiol 72:7594-601. 2006
From 2000 to 2004, ticks were collected by dragging a blanket in four habitat areas in The Netherlands: dunes, heather, forest, and a city park...
- Maternal mortality and severe morbidity from sepsis in the Netherlands
Hannah M C Kramer
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Medical Centre Haaglanden, Hague, The Netherlands
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 88:647-53. 2009
To assess incidence and risk factors of maternal mortality and severe morbidity from sepsis in the Netherlands.
- Effects of a home visiting program for older people with poor health status: a randomized, clinical trial in The Netherlands
Department of Epidemiology, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Am Geriatr Soc 56:397-404. 2008
..To evaluate the effectiveness of a home visiting program on health-related measures in a population of older people with poor health status...
- FUS mutations in familial amyotrophic lateral sclerosis in the Netherlands
Ewout J N Groen
Department of Neurology, Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, University Medical Center Utrecht, Heidelberglaan, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Arch Neurol 67:224-30. 2010
..To assess the frequency of FUS mutations in 52 probands with familial amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (FALS) and to provide careful documentation of clinical characteristics...
- Birth prevalence and survival in cystic fibrosis: a national cohort study in the Netherlands
Martijn G Slieker
Cystic Fibrosis Center Utrecht, University Medical Center Utrecht, PO Box 85090, 3508 AB Utrecht, Netherlands
Chest 128:2309-15. 2005
Birth prevalence and survival in patients with cystic fibrosis (CF) in the Netherlands were last investigated > 30 years ago...
- Molecular epidemiology of Cryptosporidium in humans and cattle in The Netherlands
Peter R Wielinga
National Institute for Public Health and the Environment RIVM, Centre for Infectious Disease Control CIb, Laboratory for Zoonoses and Environmental Microbiology LZO, Antonie van Leeuwenhoeklaan 9, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Int J Parasitol 38:809-17. 2008
..To study the zoonotic potential of Cryptosporidium in The Netherlands we isolated this parasite from the faeces of infected humans and cattle and genotyped those isolates for ..
- Material, psychosocial, and behavioural factors in the explanation of educational inequalities in mortality in The Netherlands
Floor V A van Oort
Department of Public Health, Erasmus MC, University Medical Centre, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Epidemiol Community Health 59:214-20. 2005
..To assess the direct and indirect contributions of material, behavioural, and psychosocial factors to the explanation of educational inequalities in mortality simultaneously...
- Mental health in immigrant children in the Netherlands
Wilma A M Vollebergh
Leiden University, Dept of Clinical Child and Adolescent Studies, Leiden, The Netherlands
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 40:489-96. 2005
Background In the past decades, the ethnic diversity of the population in the Netherlands has rapidly grown...
- Vitamin D deficiency among HIV type 1-infected individuals in the Netherlands: effects of antiretroviral therapy
Carolien J P van den Bout-van den Beukel
Department of General Internal Medicine, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 24:1375-82. 2008
..Evaluation of 25(OH)D(3) and PTH levels, especially in NNRTI-treated and dark skinned HIV-1-infected patients, is necessary to detect and treat vitamin D deficiency early...
- The frequency of lysosomal storage diseases in The Netherlands
B J Poorthuis
Dept of Pediatrics and Clinical Genetics, Leiden University of Medical Center, The Netherlands
Hum Genet 105:151-6. 1999
We have calculated the relative frequency and the birth prevalence of lysosomal storage diseases (LSDs) in The Netherlands based on all 963 enzymatically confirmed cases diagnosed during the period 1970-1996...
- The impact of aging and smoking on the future burden of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a model analysis in the Netherlands
T L Feenstra
National Institute of Public Health and the Environment (RIVM, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 164:590-6. 2001
..A dynamic multistate life table model was used to compute projections for the Netherlands. Changes in the size and composition of the population cause COPD prevalence to increase from 21/1,000 in 1994 ..
- The 2373insG mutation in the MYBPC3 gene is a founder mutation, which accounts for nearly one-fourth of the HCM cases in the Netherlands
Department of Clinical Genetics, Academic Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Eur Heart J 24:1848-53. 2003
..Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) is caused by mutations in genes that encode sarcomeric proteins. In this study we investigated the involvement of the sarcomeric myosin binding protein C in the Dutch HCM population...
- Frontotemporal dementia in The Netherlands: patient characteristics and prevalence estimates from a population-based study
Sonia M Rosso
Department of Neurology, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Brain 126:2016-22. 2003
Since 1994, a population-based study of frontotemporal dementia (FTD) in The Netherlands has aimed to ascertain all patients with FTD, and first prevalence estimates based on 74 patients were reported in 1998...
- High prevalence of vitamin D deficiency in pregnant non-Western women in The Hague, Netherlands
Irene M van der Meer
Municipal Health Service of The Hague, The Hague, Netherlands
Am J Clin Nutr 84:350-3; quiz 468-9. 2006
..Vitamin D deficiency is common in dark-skinned persons living in northern countries. Vitamin D deficiency during pregnancy may have serious consequences for both mother and child...
- Neonatal screening for medium-chain acyl-CoA dehydrogenase (MCAD) deficiency in The Netherlands: the importance of enzyme analysis to ascertain true MCAD deficiency
T G J Derks
Division of Metabolic Diseases, Beatrix Children s Hospital, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, PO Box 30 001, 9700 RB, Groningen, The Netherlands
J Inherit Metab Dis 31:88-96. 2008
..for medium-chain acyl-CoA dehydrogenase (MCAD) deficiency using tandem mass spectrometry (MS/MS) in The Netherlands, between October 2003 and September 2005...
- Prevalence of child maltreatment in The Netherlands
Eveline M Euser
Centre for Child and Family Studies, Leiden University, The Netherlands
Child Maltreat 15:5-17. 2010
The first nationwide prevalence study of child maltreatment in The Netherlands (NPM-2005) was designed as a replication of the National Incidence Studies (NISs) conducted in the United States...
- Spread and epidemiology of Clostridium difficile polymerase chain reaction ribotype 027/toxinotype III in The Netherlands
Department of Microbiology, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Clin Infect Dis 45:695-703. 2007
After reports of emerging outbreaks in Canada and the United States, Clostridium difficile-associated disease (CDAD) due to polymerase chain reaction ribotype 027 was detected in 2 medium-to-large hospitals in The Netherlands in 2005.
- Alarming prevalences of overweight and obesity for children of Turkish, Moroccan and Dutch origin in The Netherlands according to international standards
A Miranda Fredriks
TNO Prevention and Health, Leiden, The Netherlands
Acta Paediatr 94:496-8. 2005
Prevalences of overweight in The Netherlands, defined by international cut-off points, are presented in 14 500 children of Dutch origin, 2904 of Turkish and 2855 of Moroccan origin, aged 0-21 y.
- Determinants for HPV vaccine uptake in the Netherlands: A multilevel study
National Institute for Public Health and the Environment RIVM, Centre for Infectious Disease Control, Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Vaccine 28:2070-5. 2010
In March 2009, a HPV catch-up vaccination campaign was implemented in the Netherlands for girls born between 1993 and 1996. We performed a multilevel study to investigate determinants for HPV vaccination uptake...
- Construct validation of the Dutch version of the impact of event scale
Eleonore van der Ploeg
Department of Clinical Psychology, Utrecht University, Utrecht, Netherlands
Psychol Assess 16:16-26. 2004
..The construct validity was assessed by using confirmatory factor analyses. Outcomes revealed a robust structure over the various samples, generally supporting the composition of the original IES...
- On the rising trends of incidence and prognosis for breast cancer patients diagnosed 1975-2004: a long-term population-based study in southeastern Netherlands
W J Louwman
Eindhoven Cancer Registry, Comprehensive Cancer Centre South IKZ, Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Cancer Causes Control 19:97-106. 2008
..Much progress has been made in the early diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer. We have assessed the changing burden of this disease, by means of a comprehensive description of trends in incidence, survival, and mortality...
- Prevalence of overweight and obesity in the Netherlands in 2003 compared to 1980 and 1997
Katja van den Hurk
TNO Quality of Life, Leiden, The Netherlands
Arch Dis Child 92:992-5. 2007
To assess the prevalence of overweight and obesity in children living in the Netherlands and compare the findings with the Third and Fourth National Growth Studies carried out in 1980 and 1997, respectively.
- Stroke-associated infection is an independent risk factor for poor outcome after acute ischemic stroke: data from the Netherlands Stroke Survey
Frederique H Vermeij
Department of Neurology, Erasmus University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Cerebrovasc Dis 27:465-71. 2009
..Infections are a common and serious threat to patients with acute ischemic stroke. The aim of this study was to assess the effect of infection on mortality and functional outcome at discharge and at 1 year...
- Overweight and obesity as predictors of absenteeism in the working population of the Netherlands
Marielle P Jans
TNO Quality of Life, PO Box 2215, 2301 CE Leiden, The Netherlands
J Occup Environ Med 49:975-80. 2007
..To determine the relation between body mass index (BMI) and absenteeism...
- Precision and accuracy in measuring absence from work as a basis for calculating productivity costs in The Netherlands
J L Severens
Department of Medical Technology Assessment, University of Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Soc Sci Med 51:243-9. 2000
..We recommend using a recall period of no more than 2 months...
- Parental rules and communication: their association with adolescent smoking
Institute of Family and Child Care Studies, Radboud University of Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Addiction 100:862-70. 2005
..To examine the association between parental rules and communication (also referred to as antismoking socialization) and adolescents' smoking...
- Ethnic inequalities in age- and cause-specific mortality in The Netherlands
Department of Public Health, Erasmus MC, University Medical Center Rotterdam, PO Box 1738, 3000 DR Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Epidemiol 33:1112-9. 2004
By describing ethnic differences in age- and cause-specific mortality in The Netherlands we aim to identify factors that determine whether ethnic minority groups have higher or lower mortality than the native population of the host ..
- Fosfomycin tromethamine as second agent for the treatment of acute, uncomplicated urinary tract infections in adult female patients in The Netherlands?
B J Knottnerus
Department of General Practice, Academic Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Antimicrob Chemother 62:356-9. 2008
..The third choice is fosfomycin tromethamine for which no current resistance data from The Netherlands are available. The aim of this study was to determine these resistance percentages.
- Postmigration living problems and common psychiatric disorders in Iraqi asylum seekers in the Netherlands
Cornelis J Laban
De Evenaar Day Clinic for Asylum Seekers and Refugees, GGZ Drenthe, Institute of Community Mental Health Care, Postbus 30000, 9410 RA Beilen, The Netherlands
J Nerv Ment Dis 193:825-32. 2005
..Mental health workers should recognize the impact of postmigration living problems and consider focusing their treatment on coping with these problems instead of traumas from the past...
- [The MINI-International Neuropsychiatric Interview. A brief structured diagnostic psychiatric interview for DSM-IV en ICD-10 psychiatric disorders]
I M van Vliet
Leids Universitair Medisch Centrum, RC Leiden
Tijdschr Psychiatr 49:393-7. 2007
..Initial experiences and results with the MINI-Plus in a selected group of Dutch psychiatric patients are described...
- Trends and determinants of end-of-life practices in ALS in the Netherlands
Department of Neurology, Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, University Medical Center Utrecht, 3508 GA Utrecht, The Netherlands
Neurology 73:954-61. 2009
In the Netherlands, the proportion of patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) who choose the option of euthanasia or physician-assisted suicide (PAS) is relatively high (20%)...
- Association between anxiety disorders and heart rate variability in The Netherlands Study of Depression and Anxiety (NESDA)
Carmilla M M Licht
Department of Psychiatry, EMGO Institute, VU University Medical Center, AJ Ernststraat 887, 1081 HL, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Psychosom Med 71:508-18. 2009
- Awareness of congenital cytomegalovirus among doctors in the Netherlands
A M H Korver
Willem Alexander Children and Youth Center, Sub Department of Social Pediatrics, Leiden University Medical Center, The Netherlands
J Clin Virol 46:S11-5. 2009
..Because of limited treatment options for congenital cytomegalovirus (CMV) infection, preventive strategies are important. Knowledge and awareness are essential for the success of preventive strategies...
- Acute endophthalmitis after cataract surgery: 250 consecutive cases treated at a tertiary referral center in the Netherlands
Benjamin J Pijl
Department of Ophthalmology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Am J Ophthalmol 149:482-7.e1-2. 2010
..To evaluate the clinical characteristics, bacterial culture, and visual outcome of patients with acute endophthalmitis after cataract surgery...
- Stages of change, psychological factors and awareness of physical activity levels in The Netherlands
Department of Health Education and Promotion, Maastricht University, PO Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
Health Promot Int 16:305-14. 2001
..The results suggest that interventions aimed at increasing physical activity in the studied population should be aimed at increasing awareness of personal activity levels and should be stage-matched...
- Risk and epidemiological time trends of gastric cancer in Lynch syndrome carriers in the Netherlands
Lisette G Capelle
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Erasmus MC University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Gastroenterology 138:487-92. 2010
..The aim of this study was to evaluate incidence trends and risk of developing gastric cancer among Lynch syndrome mutation carriers in a Western population...
- Effectiveness of movement-prevention regulations to reduce the spread of foot-and-mouth disease in The Netherlands
A G J Velthuis
Business Economics, Wageningen University, Hollandseweg 1, 6706 KN Wageningen, The Netherlands
Prev Vet Med 82:262-81. 2007
..In densely populated areas this decrease went from 135 infected farms to 103, while the duration reduced from 88 days to 81...
- Pre-admission clinical course of meningococcal disease and opportunities for the earlier start of appropriate intervention: a prospective epidemiological study on 752 patients in the Netherlands, 2003-2005
S C de Greeff
Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit, National Institute for Public Health and the Environment, P O Box 1, 3720 BA, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 27:985-92. 2008
..clinical manifestation at admission were studied in all 752 patients with invasive meningococcal disease in the Netherlands in 2003-2005. Eighty-eight percent (88%) had serogroup B disease. The case fatality rate (CFR) was 6...
- Direct access to physical therapy in the Netherlands: results from the first year in community-based physical therapy
Chantal J Leemrijse
Netherlands Institute for Health Services Research Allied Health Care NIVEL, PO Box 1568, 3500 BN, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Phys Ther 88:936-46. 2008
In 2006, direct access to physical therapy was introduced in the Netherlands. Before this policy measure, evaluation and treatment by a physical therapist were only possible following referral by a physician.
- The effectiveness of tailored feedback and action plans in an intervention addressing multiple health behaviors
H de Vries
Maastricht University, Department of Health Education and Promotion, P O Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
Am J Health Promot 22:417-25. 2008
..Examine the effects of three iterative tailored feedback letters addressing smoking; physical activity; and fruit, vegetable, and fat intake, and test the additional effects of providing feedback on action plans...
- Late entry to HIV care limits the impact of anti-retroviral therapy in The Netherlands
HIV Monitoring Foundation Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 3:e1949. 2008
To explain differences in survival in the first three years of combination anti-retroviral therapy (cART) between HIV treatment centres in The Netherlands.
- Trends in overweight and obesity prevalence in Dutch, Turkish, Moroccan and Surinamese South Asian children in the Netherlands
J A de Wilde
TNO Quality of Life, Leiden, The Netherlands
Arch Dis Child 94:795-800. 2009
To determine trends in the prevalence of overweight and obesity in children in The Hague (the Netherlands) from 1999 through 2007.
- Characteristics and incidence of Clostridium difficile-associated disease in The Netherlands, 2005
Department of Medical Microbiology, National Reference Laboratory for Clostridium difficile, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Clin Microbiol Infect 13:1058-64. 2007
..participated in a surveillance study of Clostridium difficile-associated disease (CDAD) in 17 hospitals in The Netherlands. The median incidence rate of CDAD was 16/10 000 patient admissions (2...
- Young Netherlands Twin Register (Y-NTR): a longitudinal multiple informant study of problem behavior
Department of Biological Psychology, Vrije Univerisiteit Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Twin Res Hum Genet 10:3-11. 2007
The Netherlands Twin Register (NTR) was established around 1987 at the Vrije Universiteit in Amsterdam, the Netherlands...
- Prevalence and risk factors of cerebral microbleeds: the Rotterdam Scan Study
M W Vernooij
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Erasmus MC University Medical Center, Dr Molewaterplein 50, 3015 GE, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Neurology 70:1208-14. 2008
..We investigated the prevalence of and risk factors for microbleeds in the general population aged 60 years and older...
- Going Dutch--managed-competition health insurance in the Netherlands
Alain C Enthoven
Stanford University Graduate School of Business, Stanford, CA, USA
N Engl J Med 357:2421-3. 2007
- Deliberate self-harm in young people: differences in prevalence and risk factors between the Netherlands and Belgium
Unit for Suicide Research, Dept of Psychiatry, University Hospital, De Pintelaan 185, Gent 9000, Belgium
Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 17:179-86. 2008
..This study aimed to examine prevalence and risk factors of deliberate self-harm in Dutch and Dutch-speaking Belgian adolescents...
- Progress in the implementation of Quality Management in Dutch health care: 1995-2000
Emmy M Sluijs
NIVEL Netherlands Institute for Health Services Research, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Int J Qual Health Care 15:223-34. 2003
..A second objective was to explore whether the progress in QM was related to subsectors of care and/or to cultural characteristics of health care organizations...
- High prevalence of nasal MRSA carriage in slaughterhouse workers in contact with live pigs in The Netherlands
B A G L VAN Cleef
RIVM National Institute for Public Health and the Environment, Centre for Infectious Disease Control Netherlands, 3720 BABilthoven, The Netherlands
Epidemiol Infect 138:756-63. 2010
..Three large pig slaughterhouses in The Netherlands were studied in 2008 using human and environmental samples...
- Impact of acellular pertussis preschool booster vaccination on disease burden of pertussis in The Netherlands
Sabine C de Greeff
Epidemiology and Surveillance, Centre for Infectious Disease Control, National Institute for Public Health and the Environment, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Pediatr Infect Dis J 27:218-23. 2008
..acellular preschool booster vaccination against pertussis has been included in the National Immunization Programme in The Netherlands, since November 2001. We studied the impact of this preschool booster on the epidemiology of pertussis.
- Theory- and evidence-based intervention to improve adherence to antiretroviral therapy among HIV-infected patients in the Netherlands: a pilot study
M de Bruin
Department of Experimental Psychology, Faculty of Psychology, Maastricht University, The Netherlands
AIDS Patient Care STDS 19:384-94. 2005
..Large-scale and long-term research is warranted...
- Evaluation design of a systematic, selective, internet-based, Chlamydia screening implementation in the Netherlands, 2008-2010: implications of first results for the analysis
Ingrid V F van den Broek
Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit, Centre for Infectious Disease Control, National Institute of Public Health and the Environment, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
BMC Infect Dis 10:89. 2010
..Chlamydia Screening Implementation for 16 to 29-year-old residents started in three regions in the Netherlands in April 2008: in the cities of Amsterdam and Rotterdam and a more rural region, South Limburg...
- Place of death in metropolitan regions: metropolitan versus non-metropolitan variation in place of death in Belgium, The Netherlands and England
End of Life Care Research Group, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Laarbeeklaan 103, 1090 Brussels, Belgium
Health Place 16:132-9. 2010
..variation in place of death of patients with life-limiting conditions in Belgium, The Netherlands and England...
- Use of diagnostic self-tests on body materials among Internet users in the Netherlands: prevalence and correlates of use
Department of General Practice, Maastricht University, MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
BMC Public Health 9:100. 2009
..This study examined how many people use diagnostic self-tests on body materials such as blood or urine, as well as the type of tests that are used, and factors associated with their use...
- European framework for tuberculosis control and elimination in countries with a low incidence. Recommendations of the World Health Organization (WHO), International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease (IUATLD) and Royal Netherlands Tuberculosis As
J F Broekmans
Royal Netherlands Tuberculosis Association, The Hague, The Netherlands
Eur Respir J 19:765-75. 2002
..Health Organization (WHO), the International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease (IUATLD) and the Royal Netherlands Tuberculosis Association (KNCV) have developed a new framework for low incidence countries based on concepts ..
- Gastric cancer risk in patients with premalignant gastric lesions: a nationwide cohort study in the Netherlands
Annemarie C de Vries
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Erasmus MC University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Gastroenterology 134:945-52. 2008
..Quantification of gastric cancer risk in patients with premalignant gastric lesions is unclear, however. Consequently, endoscopic surveillance is controversial, especially in Western populations...
- Endophily in Culicoides associated with BTV-infected cattle in the province of Limburg, south-eastern Netherlands, 2006
Central Veterinary Institute of Wageningen UR, P O Box 65, 8200 AB Lelystad, The Netherlands
Prev Vet Med 87:182-95. 2008
Culicoides were captured at a BTV-infected dairy near Gulpen in the province of Limburg (south-east Netherlands) between 14 September and 4 October 2006...
- Increased but low incidence and poor survival of malignant mesothelioma in the southeastern part of The Netherlands since 1970: a population-based study
M L Janssen-Heijnen
Comprehensive Cancer Centre South, Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Eur J Cancer Prev 8:311-4. 1999
Changes in the incidence and survival rates for malignant mesothelioma in the southeastern part of The Netherlands since 1970 were investigated, using data from the Eindhoven Cancer Registry (ECR)...
- Longitudinal relationship between pain and depression in older adults: sex, age and physical disability
Sandra W Geerlings
Department of Psychiatry Free University Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 37:23-30. 2002
..In the present study, the longitudinal relationship between pain and depression in older adults was examined, thereby taking into account the role of physical disability and the possibly modifying effect of sex and age...
- Looking back in time: outcome of a national cohort of very preterm infants born in The Netherlands in 1983
F J Walther
Department of Pediatrics, Leiden University Medical Center, 2300 RC, Leiden, The Netherlands
Early Hum Dev 59:175-91. 2000
..Abnormalities found during early, standardized clinical neurological examination are highly predictive for these later problems...
- Prevalence of livestock-associated MRSA in broiler flocks and risk factors for slaughterhouse personnel in The Netherlands
M N Mulders
Centre for Infectious Disease Control Netherlands CIb, National Institute of Public Health and the Environment RIVM, NL 3720 BA Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Epidemiol Infect 138:743-55. 2010
..7% belonged to ST9 (spa type t1430). There is an increased risk of MRSA carriage in personnel working at broiler slaughterhouses, particularly those having contact with live animals...
- Population prevalence of Chlamydia trachomatis and Neisseria gonorrhoeae in the Netherlands. Should asymptomatic persons be tested during population-based Chlamydia screening also for gonorrhoea or only if chlamydial infection is found?
Jan E A M van Bergen
STI AIDS Netherlands Soa Aids Nederland, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
BMC Infect Dis 6:42. 2006
..Screening and active case finding for Chlamydia trachomatis (CT) is recommended to prevent reproductive morbidity. However insight in community prevalence of gonococcal infections and co-infections with Neisseria gonorrhoea (NG) is lacking...
- Inter-observer variability in APACHE II scoring: effect of strict guidelines and training
K H Polderman
Surgical Intensive Care Unit, University Hospital Vrije Universiteit, P O Box 7057, 1007 MB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Intensive Care Med 27:1365-9. 2001
..To assess the effect of strict guidelines and a rigorous training program on variability in scoring the revised Acute Physiology and Chronic Health Evaluation (APACHE II)...
- Ethnic differences in lifestyle and overweight in the Netherlands
Judith R Cornelisse-Vermaat
Economics of Consumers and Households, Wageningen University, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Obesity (Silver Spring) 15:483-93. 2007
To study the effects of lifestyle variables and socioeconomic status on overweight among native Dutch and immigrants in The Netherlands.
- Costs of shoulder pain in primary care consulters: a prospective cohort study in The Netherlands
Institute for Research in Extramural Medicine, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 7:83. 2006
..The objective of this study was to determine shoulder pain related costs during the 6 months after first consultation in general practice..
- The prevalence of methicillin-resistant staphylococci in healthy horses in the Netherlands
J F Busscher
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Utrecht University, Utrecht, Netherlands
Vet Microbiol 113:131-6. 2006
..In conclusion, no methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus was found in healthy horses in the Netherlands, but methicillin-resistant coagulase negative staphylococci were found frequently...
- Alcohol consumption and risk of dementia: the Rotterdam Study
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Erasmus Medical Centre, PO Box 1738, 3000 DR Rotterdam, Netherlands
Lancet 359:281-6. 2002
..Because vascular disease is associated with cognitive impairment and dementia, we hypothesised that alcohol consumption might also affect the risk of dementia...
- Pneumococcal carriage in children in The Netherlands: a molecular epidemiological study
Department of Pediatrics, Sophia Children's Hospital, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Microbiol 39:3316-20. 2001
..This study emphasizes the importance of molecular epidemiological monitoring before, during, and after implementation of pneumococcal conjugate vaccination in national vaccination programs for children...
- Economic costs of minor depression: a population-based study
Department of Clinical Psychology, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Acta Psychiatr Scand 115:229-36. 2007
..Although the clinical relevance of minor depression has been demonstrated in many studies, the economic costs are not well explored. In this study, we examine the economic costs of minor depression...
- Height, weight, body mass index and pubertal development references for children of Moroccan origin in The Netherlands
A M Fredriks
Department of Paediatrics, Leiden University Medical Centre, Leiden, The Netherlands
Acta Paediatr 93:817-24. 2004
To provide growth and sexual maturation reference data for Moroccan children living in The Netherlands and to compare them with the reference data of children of Dutch origin.
- Active and passive maternal smoking during pregnancy and the risks of low birthweight and preterm birth: the Generation R Study
Vincent W V Jaddoe
The Generation R Study Group, and Department of Epidemiology, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 22:162-71. 2008
..Generation R Study, a population-based prospective cohort study from early fetal life onwards in Rotterdam, The Netherlands. Active and passive smoking were assessed by questionnaires in early, mid- and late pregnancy...
- Cost measurement in economic evaluations of health care: whom to ask?
Mandy Van Den Brink
Department of Medical Decision Making, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Med Care 42:740-6. 2004
- Prevalence of diabetes mellitus and the performance of a risk score among Hindustani Surinamese, African Surinamese and ethnic Dutch: a cross-sectional population-based study
Navin R Bindraban
Department of Social Medicine, Academic Medical Centre of the University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
BMC Public Health 8:271. 2008
..Second, to develop a new risk score for DM. Third, to evaluate the performance of the risk score and to compare it to criteria derived from current guidelines...
- Rates and risks for co-morbid depression in patients with Type 2 diabetes mellitus: results from a community-based study
Diabetes Research Group, Department of Medical Psychology, Institute for Research in Extramural Medicine EMGO, VU University Medical Center, Van der Boechorststraat 7, 1081 BT Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Diabetologia 46:892-8. 2003
..We studied the prevalence and risk factors of co-morbid depression in a community-based sample of older adults, comparing Type 2 diabetic patients with healthy control subjects...
- Beliefs of Turkish and Moroccan immigrants in The Netherlands about smoking cessation: implications for prevention
Department of Social Medicine, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, 1100 DE Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Health Educ Res 20:622-34. 2005
..of our study is to gain insight into the beliefs of smoking cessation in Turkish and Moroccan immigrants in The Netherlands using the I-Change Model...
- Lack of effect of shorter turnaround time of microbiological procedures on clinical outcomes: a randomised controlled trial among hospitalised patients in the Netherlands
Laboratory of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Isala Klinieken, Rhijnvis Feithlaan 62, 8021 AM Zwolle, The Netherlands
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 24:305-13. 2005
..testing, a single-blind, prospective, randomised controlled trial was conducted in a hospital in the Netherlands. All hospitalised patients with a bacterial infection confirmed by culture were randomly assigned to a control (..
- Incidence and risk factors of disability in the elderly: the Rotterdam Study
Department of General Practice, Erasmus MC, 3000 CA, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Prev Med 44:272-8. 2007
This study analyzed the incidence of disability and its risk factors in multiple dimensions in community-dwelling women and men of older age, between 1990 and 1999, in Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
- Measles epidemic in the Netherlands, 1999-2000
Susan van den Hof
National Institute of Public Health and the Environment, Department of Infectious Diseases Epidemiology, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
J Infect Dis 186:1483-6. 2002
In 1999-2000, a measles epidemic occurred in The Netherlands, with 3292 reported cases; 94% of the affected patients had not been vaccinated. Only 1 patient had received 2 doses of vaccine. Three patients died, and 16% had complications...
- QUALIDEM: development and evaluation of a dementia specific quality of life instrument--validation
Teake P Ettema
Institute for Extramural Medicine EMGO, VU Medical Center Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 22:424-30. 2007
..To validate the QUALIDEM, a quality of life measure for people with dementia within residential settings rated by professional caregivers...
- Cannabis use and psychosis: a longitudinal population-based study
J van Os
Department of Psychiatry and Neuropsychology, European Graduate School of Neuroscience, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Am J Epidemiol 156:319-27. 2002
..1997-1999) is reported of a general population of 4,045 psychosis-free persons and of 59 subjects in the Netherlands with a baseline diagnosis of psychotic disorder...