- Infection with chikungunya virus in Italy: an outbreak in a temperate region
Department of Infectious, Parasitic, and Immunomediated Diseases, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Lancet 370:1840-6. 2007
Chikungunya virus (CHIKV), which is transmitted by Aedes spp mosquitoes, has recently caused several outbreaks on islands in the Indian Ocean and on the Indian subcontinent. We report on an outbreak in Italy.
- Blood pressure control in Italy: results of recent surveys on hypertension
Division of Cardiology, II Faculty of Medicine, University of Rome La Sapienza, Sant Andrea Hospital, Rome, Italy
J Hypertens 25:1491-8. 2007
..Blood pressure (BP) control is reported to be poor in hypertensive patients worldwide...
- Mitochondrial haplogroup U5b3: a distant echo of the epipaleolithic in Italy and the legacy of the early Sardinians
Dipartimento di Genetica e Microbiologia, Universita di Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Am J Hum Genet 84:814-21. 2009
- Asymptomatic Leishmania infantum infection in an area of northwestern Italy (Piedmont region) where such infections are traditionally nonendemic
Department of Clinical and Biological Sciences, University of Torino, Infectious Diseases Unit, Corso Dante 202, 10141 Asti, Italy
J Clin Microbiol 48:131-6. 2010
..infection was assessed in a randomized sample of 526 healthy adults from a continental area of northwestern Italy where L...
- Forest structure and roe deer abundance predict tick-borne encephalitis risk in Italy
Fondazione Edmund Mach, Centro Ricerca e Innovazione, Michele all Adige, Italy
PLoS ONE 4:e4336. 2009
..Although a number of socio-economic parameters have been suggested to explain TBE upsurges in eastern Europe, the principal driving factors in relatively stable western European countries have not been identified...
- Reducing clinical variations with clinical pathways: do pathways work?
Department of Medical Sciences, Section of Public Health, University of Eastern Piedmont A Avogadro, Novara, Italy
Int J Qual Health Care 15:509-21. 2003
..To test clinical pathways in a variety of Italian health care organizations in 2000-2002 to measure performance in decreasing process and outcome variations...
- Late presenters in an HIV surveillance system in Italy during the period 1992-2006
Department of Internal Medicine, Clinic of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 49:282-6. 2008
..describe trends over time from 1992 to 2006 in the number of newly diagnosed HIV-infected individuals in Modena (Italy) and to describe their clinical and immunological characteristics...
- Epidemiology and costs of cervical cancer screening and cervical dysplasia in Italy
Paolo Giorgi Rossi
Agency for Public Health, Lazio Region, Rome, Italy
BMC Public Health 9:71. 2009
We estimated the number of women undergoing cervical cancer screening annually in Italy, the rates of cervical abnormalities detected, and the costs of screening and management of abnormalities.
- Anti-HPV vaccination: a review of recent economic data for Italy
F S Mennini
CEIS Sanità Centre for Health Economics and Management CHEM, Faculty of Economics, University of Rome, Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
Vaccine 27:A54-61. 2009
..quadrivalent and bivalent vaccines, respectively), at this point in time long-term economic models developed for Italy seem to indicate the quadrivalent vaccine as the most cost-effective option...
- "Cervia II Working Group Report 2006": guidelines on diagnosis and treatment of Helicobacter pylori infection in Italy
School of Gastroenterology, University of Ferrara, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 39:782-9. 2007
..pylori infection in Italy. Recommendations in the new European Guidelines were considered in the National setting, here in the light of ..
- Effectiveness of hepatitis B vaccination in babies born to hepatitis B surface antigen-positive mothers in Italy
Clinical Epidemiology Unit, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
J Infect Dis 184:905-8. 2001
..There is no evidence that the emergence of HBV escape mutants secondary to the immune pressure against wild-type HBV is of concern...
- Explaining the decrease in coronary heart disease mortality in Italy between 1980 and 2000
National Centre of Epidemiology, Surveillance, and Promotion of Health, National Institutes of Health, 00162 Rome, Italy
Am J Public Health 100:684-92. 2010
We examined the extent to which the decrease in coronary heart disease (CHD) mortality rates in Italy could be explained by changes in cardiovascular risk factors versus the use of medical and surgical treatments.
- Circulation of influenza viruses in wild waterfowl wintering in Italy during the 1993-99 period: evidence of virus shedding and seroconversion in wild ducks
M A De Marco
Istituto Nazionale per la Fauna Selvatica A Ghigi, 9 via Ca Fornacetta, 40064 Ozzano Emilia BO, Italy
Avian Dis 47:861-6. 2003
..We analyzed influenza virus circulation in wild ducks in Italy during six winter seasons (1993-99), using virus isolations and serological analyses...
- Consumption of fresh fruit rich in vitamin C and wheezing symptoms in children. SIDRIA Collaborative Group, Italy (Italian Studies on Respiratory Disorders in Children and the Environment)
Department of Epidemiology, Regional Health Authority, Lazio, Rome, Italy
Thorax 55:283-8. 2000
..The consumption of fruit rich in vitamin C was examined in relation to wheezing and other respiratory symptoms in cross sectional and follow up studies of Italian children...
- Aedes albopictus is a natural vector of Dirofilaria immitis in Italy
Dipartimento di Scienze di Sanità Pubblica, Sez Parassitologia, Universita La Sapienza, P le Aldo Moro 2, 00185 Rome, Italy
Vet Parasitol 118:195-202. 2003
Investigations were carried out in Padova town (Veneto region, NE Italy) to define the actual role of Aedes albopictus in the natural transmission of Dirofilaria nematodes, and to assess the risk that its presence might represent for ..
- Chikungunya virus in North-Eastern Italy: a seroprevalence survey
Maria Luisa Moro
Dipartimento di Sanita Pubblica, Universita degli Studi di Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Am J Trop Med Hyg 82:508-11. 2010
After an outbreak of Chikungunya infection in Emilia-Romagna Region (North-eastern Italy), a survey was performed to estimate the seroprevalence of antibody to Chikungunya virus and the proportion of asymptomatic infections, to identify ..
- Melanoma epidemic across the millennium: time trends of cutaneous melanoma in Emilia-Romagna (Italy) from 1997 to 2004
Department of Dermatology, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Italy
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 22:213-8. 2008
..After a rapid increase in malignant melanoma (MM) incidence in the last decades, trends of the melanoma epidemic in the recent years seemed not homogeneous...
- Complications of thyroid surgery: analysis of a multicentric study on 14,934 patients operated on in Italy over 5 years
Department of Surgery, Endocrine Surgical Unit, Ivrea Hospital, Piazza della Credenza, 2 10015 Ivrea, Italy
World J Surg 28:271-6. 2004
- An economic evaluation of cetuximab combined with radiotherapy for patients with locally advanced head and neck cancer in Belgium, France, Italy, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom
IMS Health, London, UK
Value Health 11:791-9. 2008
- The economic burden of stroke in Italy. The EcLIPSE Study: Economic Longitudinal Incidence-based Project for Stroke Evaluation
Department of Applied Statistics and Economics Libero Lenti, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Neurol Sci 26:72-80. 2005
..The aim of this study is to estimate stroke's direct costs and productivity losses in Italy from a societal perspective and to explain cost variability...
- Natural vectors of dirofilariasis in rural and urban areas of the Tuscan region, central Italy
Dipartimento di Scienze di Sanità Pubblica, Universita La Sapienza di Roma, Italy
J Med Entomol 43:574-9. 2006
..human-baited traps were carried out in summers 2000-2002 in urban and rural areas of the Tuscan region in central Italy. The aim of the study was to define the mosquito species involved in the transmission of Dirofilaria nematodes and ..
- Purity control of some Chinese crude herbal drugs marketed in Italy
Department of Human Physiology and Pharmacology, University La Sapienza, Piazzale Aldo Moro 5, 00185 Rome, Italy
Food Chem Toxicol 46:3043-7. 2008
..In the present study, 10 Chinese crude herbal drugs marketed in Italy (Radix Ginseng, Radix Astragali, Rhizoma Coptidis, Rhizoma Atractylodis Macrocephalae, Radix Bupleuri, Radix ..
- Glucocerebrosidase gene mutations are associated with Parkinson's disease in southern Italy
Elvira V De Marco
Institute of Neurological Sciences, National Research Council, Mangone, Cosenza, Italy
Mov Disord 23:460-3. 2008
..To elucidate the role of this gene in our population, we screened 395 PD patients and 483 controls from southern Italy for the N370S and the L444P mutations. We found 11 patients (2...
- Seroprevalence and isolation of Toxoplasma gondii from free-range chickens in Ghana, Indonesia, Italy, Poland, and Vietnam
J P Dubey
U S Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Animal and Natural Resources Institute, Animal Parasitic Diseases Laboratory, Building 1001, Beltsville, Maryland 20705 2350, USA
J Parasitol 94:68-71. 2008
..The prevalence of T. gondii in free-range chickens from Ghana, Indonesia, Italy, Poland, and Vietnam was determined using the modified agglutination test (MAT). Antibodies to T...
- Tick infestation on roe deer in relation to geographic and remotely sensed climatic variables in a tick-borne encephalitis endemic area
Centre for Alpine Ecology, Viote del Monte Bondone, Trento, Italy
Epidemiol Infect 136:1416-24. 2008
..We used roe deer as sentinels for potential circulation of TBE virus in Northern Italy, by examining the association between tick infestation, occurrence of TBE human cases, geographical and climatic ..
- Influence of biotic and abiotic factors on the distribution and abundance of Culicoides imicola and the Obsoletus Complex in Italy
Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale dell Abruzzo e del Molise, Via Campo Boario, 64100, Teramo, Italy
Vet Parasitol 150:333-44. 2007
..Between 2000 and 2004 >38,000 light-trap collections were made for Culicoides across Italy including the islands of Sardinia and Sicily. Mapping of the 100 largest collections of C...
- Incidence and risk factors of hospitalization for bronchiolitis in preterm children: a retrospective longitudinal study in Italy
Agency for Public Health of Lazio Region, Scientific Direction Unit, Rome, Italy
BMC Pediatr 9:56. 2009
..e., a gestational age of <36 weeks) born between 2000 and 2006, and the use and impact of Palivizumab, a monoclonal antibody that in randomized clinical trials has been shown to lessen the severity of RSV-related bronchiolitis...
- Role of key-regulator genes in melanoma susceptibility and pathogenesis among patients from South Italy
Istituto di Chimica Biomolecolare, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Sassari, Italy
BMC Cancer 9:352. 2009
..Several genetic alterations have been demonstrated to contribute to the development and progression of melanoma. In this study, we further investigated the impact of key-regulator genes in susceptibility and pathogenesis of such a disease...
- An integrated approach to assess air pollution threats to cultural heritage in a semi-confined environment: the case study of Michelozzo's Courtyard in Florence (Italy)
Department of Physics, Università degli Studi di Firenze and INFN, National Institute of Nuclear Physics, Sesto F no FI, Italy
Sci Total Environ 408:1403-13. 2010
..this work, where the monitoring campaign carried out at the Michelozzo's Courtyard (in Palazzo Vecchio, Florence, Italy) is used as a case study...
- Malaria epidemiological situation in Italy and evaluation of malaria incidence in Italian travelers
Laboratorio di Parassitologia, Istituto Superiore di Sanit, Roma, Italy
J Travel Med 8:6-11. 2001
..The aim of this study was to present a detailed analysis of the current epidemiological situation of malaria in Italy, and to make a first attempt to calculate the incidence of malaria in Italian international travelers...
- Mitigation measures for pandemic influenza in Italy: an individual based model considering different scenarios
Marta Luisa Ciofi degli Atti
National Center for Epidemiology Surveillance and Health Promotion, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
PLoS ONE 3:e1790. 2008
..In the present study, we evaluated the diffusion of pandemic influenza in Italy and the impact of various control measures, coupling a global SEIR model for importation of cases with an ..
- Suicide among the elderly: the long-term impact of a telephone support and assessment intervention in northern Italy
Diego De Leo
Australian Institute for Suicide Research and Prevention, Mt Gravatt Campus, Griffith University, 4111 Queensland, Australia
Br J Psychiatry 181:226-9. 2002
..Previous short-term work reported fewer suicides among elderly users of a telephone helpline and emergency response service (the TeleHelp-TeleCheck Service)...
- Prevalence of nosocomial infections in Italy: result from the Lombardy survey in 2000
Unitá Organizzativa Prevenzione Regione Lombardia, Via Pola 9, Milano, 20124, Italy
J Hosp Infect 54:141-8. 2003
..8.7%). Methicillin-resistant S. aureus accounted for 23% of all isolated S. aureus. The results provide baseline data for rational priorities in allocation of resources, for further studies and for infection control activities...
- Tetracycline and streptomycin resistance genes, transposons, and plasmids in Salmonella enterica isolates from animals in Italy
Laboratory of Bacteriology and Medical Mycology, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:903-8. 2004
Fifty-eight multidrug-resistant Salmonella enterica strains of 20 serotypes, isolated from animal sources in Italy, were analyzed for tet(A) and strA-strB, conferring tetracycline and streptomycin resistance, respectively...
- First tuberculosis cases in Italy resistant to all tested drugs
G B Migliori
WHO Collaborating Centre for TB and Lung Diseases, Fondazione S Maugeri, Care and Research Institute, Tradate, Italy
Euro Surveill 12:E070517.1. 2007
- Contribution of three components to individual cancer risk predicting breast cancer risk in Italy
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, European Institute of Oncology, Via Ripamonti 435, 20141 Milan, Italy
Eur J Cancer Prev 13:183-91. 2004
We used data from a multicentre case-control study conducted in Italy between 1991 and 1994 on over 2500 cases of breast cancer and a comparable number of controls, and estimates of breast cancer incidence in Italy to compute individual ..
- Imported malaria in adults and children: epidemiological and clinical characteristics of 380 consecutive cases observed in Verona, Italy
Department of Infectious Diseases, University of Verona, Verona, Italy
J Travel Med 15:229-36. 2008
Since the year 2000, in Italy, there has been a constant decrease in the number of cases of imported malaria in immigrants. Nevertheless, immigrants still account for about 70% of reported cases...
- A novel Angiogenin gene mutation in a sporadic patient with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis from southern Italy
F L Conforti
Institute of Neurological Sciences, National Research Council, Mangone, Cosenza, Italy
Neuromuscul Disord 18:68-70. 2008
..In our study we investigated the role of ANG gene in ALS patients from southern Italy. We found a novel mutation in the signal peptide of the ANG gene in a sporadic patient with ALS (SALS)...
- Delayed presentation and late testing for HIV: demographic and behavioral risk factors in a multicenter study in Italy
Dipartimento di Epidemiologia, INMI Lazzaro Spallanzani, Roma, Italy
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 36:951-9. 2004
..with late HIV testing, we studied 968 patients at their first HIV care visit, enrolled in a multicenter study in Italy from 1997-2000. Patients completed a questionnaire on HIV-testing history, sexual behavior, and drug use behavior...
- Dental health in a group of drug addicts in Italy
I F Angelillo
Institute of Hygiene, Medical School, University of Reggio Calabria, Catanzaro, Italy
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 19:36-7. 1991
..health, and oral hygiene status were assessed in 124 drug addicts aged 18-34 yr in Mercato San Severino (Salerno), Italy. The years of drug addiction ranged from 1 to 15 yr...
- Food medicine and minor nourishment in the folk traditions of Central Italy (Marche, Abruzzo and Latium)
Paolo Maria Guarrera
Museo Nazionale Arti e Tradizioni Popolari, Piazza Marconi 8 10, Roma 00144, Italy
Fitoterapia 74:515-44. 2003
A series of research projects on wild plants used in Central Italy (Marche, Latium and Abruzzo) as food medicine and for minor nourishment was carried out in the years 1979-2000...
- [Canine dirofilariasis in the canton of Ticino and in the neighboring areas of northern Italy.]
Dipartimento di Produzioni Animali, Epidemiologia ed Ecologia,
Schweiz Arch Tierheilkd 143:141-7. 2001
..of canine dirofilariosis in Southern Ticino (Switzerland) and in the neighbouring provinces of Varese and Como (Italy) was investigated...
- Determinants of age at menopause in women attending menopause clinics in Italy
Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche Mario Negriî, Via Eritrea, 62 20157 Milano, Italy
Maturitas 56:280-7. 2007
We analysed the mean age at menopause and its determinants in 31,000 women attending menopause clinics in Italy.
- Hospital-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (HA-MRSA) in Italy
Department of Microbiology, University of Catania, Italy
Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob 8:22. 2009
..trace the dynamic changes of hospital-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (HA-MRSA) lineages in Italy, comparing the genotypic backgrounds of contemporary isolates over a period of 17 years, with those of a sample of ..
- MC1R, ASIP, and DNA repair in sporadic and familial melanoma in a Mediterranean population
Maria Teresa Landi
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, NIH, DHHS, Bethesda, MD 20892 7236, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 97:998-1007. 2005
..We examined MC1R and ASIP genotypes in relation to phenotypic characteristics, sporadic and familial melanoma risk, and melanoma thickness as an indicator of disease progression in a Mediterranean population...
- Prevalence of common mental disorders in Italy: results from the European Study of the Epidemiology of Mental Disorders (ESEMeD)
Giovanni de Girolamo
Department of Mental Health, Azienda USL di Bologna, Viale Pepoli, 5, 40123, Bologna, Italy
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 41:853-61. 2006
To present 1-month, 12-month and lifetime prevalence estimates of mood, anxiety and alcohol disorders in Italy; and the socio-demographic correlates and comorbidity patterns of these estimated disorders.
- Phylogenetic analysis of vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium genotypes associated with outbreaks or sporadic infections in Italy
Maria Grazia Bonora
Microbiology Section, Department of Pathology, University of Verona, Verona, Italy
Microb Drug Resist 13:171-7. 2007
..persons, n = 3; non-human sources, n = 10) over the period 1996-2004 in comparison with clones that have spread in Italy since 1993. Thirty six isolates were vancomycin-resistant and five were vancomycin-susceptible...
- High differentiation among eight villages in a secluded area of Sardinia revealed by genome-wide high density SNPs analysis
Istituto di Genetica delle Popolazioni, CNR, Alghero, Sassari, Italy
PLoS ONE 4:e4654. 2009
..We suggest that, in order to optimize the study design of complex traits, a thorough characterization of genetic features is useful to identify the presence of sub-populations and stratification within genetic isolates...
- Usutu virus in wild birds in northern Italy
Dipartimento di Patologia Animale, Igiene e Sanita Pubblica Veterinaria, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Via Celoria 10, 20133 Milano, Italy
Vet Microbiol 141:159-63. 2010
..diagnosed in two free-living blackbirds and in three captive owls belonging to two different species in northern Italy in the summers of 2006-2008. Diagnosis was established by immunohistochemistry and RT-PCR...
- Universal childhood immunisation against Streptococcus pneumoniae: the five-year experience of Liguria Region, Italy
Department of Health Sciences, San Martino Hospital, University of Genoa, Via A Pastore 1, 16132 Genoa, Italy
Vaccine 27:3459-62. 2009
..2%, 70.5% and 36.4%, respectively...
- Prevalence and incidence of antibodies to Borrelia burgdorferi and to tick-borne encephalitis virus in agricultural and forestry workers from Tuscany, Italy
Department of Occupational Medicine, Istituto Superiore per la Prevenzione e la Sicurezza del Lavoro, Via Fontana Candida 1, 00040, Monteporzio Catone Rome, Italy
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 24:457-63. 2005
..and (iii) to assess the occupational risk for agricultural and forestry activities in a defined area (Tuscany, Italy)...
- Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase 677 C-->T polymorphism and risk of proximal colon cancer in north Italy
Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology Unit, Division of Experimental Oncology 1, Centro di Riferimento Oncologico, Aviano PN, Italy
Clin Cancer Res 9:743-8. 2003
..The aim of the study was to investigate the role of MTHFR 677 C-->T gene polymorphism in the tumorigenesis of proximal and distal CLC in a monoinstitutional group of patients in North Italy.
- Imported malaria in immigrants to Italy: a changing pattern observed in north eastern Italy
Department of Infectious Diseases, University of Verona, Verona, Italy
J Travel Med 16:317-21. 2009
Seventy percent of imported malaria cases in Italy occur in immigrants, generally with milder clinical presentation due to premunition acquired through repeated infections...
- The northward spread of leishmaniasis in Italy: evidence from retrospective and ongoing studies on the canine reservoir and phlebotomine vectors
Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Trop Med Int Health 13:256-64. 2008
Visceral leishmaniasis (VL) incidence has been increased in Italy in humans and dogs since the 1990s, with new foci being detected within traditional boundaries of endemic transmission but also in northern regions previously regarded as ..
- Cancer mortality and incidence of mesothelioma in a cohort of wives of asbestos workers in Casale Monferrato, Italy
Unit of Medical Statistics and Cancer Epidemiology, CPO Piemonte and University of Eastern Piedmont, Novara, Italy
Environ Health Perspect 115:1401-5. 2007
..Although the hazard is established, the magnitude of the risk is uncertain, and it is unclear whether risk is also increased for other cancers. Few cohort studies have been reported...
- Glycemic index and load and risk of upper aero-digestive tract neoplasms (Italy)
Livia S A Augustin
Servizio di Epidemiologia e Biostatistica, Centro di Riferimento Oncologico, Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Aviano, Italy
Cancer Causes Control 14:657-62. 2003
- Cost-effectiveness of human papillomavirus DNA testing in the United Kingdom, The Netherlands, France, and Italy
Jane J Kim
Department of Health Policy and Management, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 97:888-95. 2005
..We assessed the cost-effectiveness of incorporating HPV DNA testing into existing cervical cancer screening programs in the United Kingdom, The Netherlands, France, and Italy.
- HLA-multiple sclerosis association in continental Italy and correlation with disease prevalence in Europe
Dipartimento di Scienze Neurologiche e Psichiatriche, Univ Firenze, Florence, Italy
J Neuroimmunol 150:178-85. 2004
..No association with Class I was detected in a random subset of patients and controls. A comparison of the HLA association data in Northern and Southern European populations shows a parallel between disease prevalence and DR15 frequency...
- Correlates of HIV, HBV, and HCV infections in a prison inmate population: results from a multicentre study in Italy
Istituto Malattie Infettive, Universita di Sassari, Sassari, Italy
J Med Virol 76:311-7. 2005
..6%). HIV prevalence was higher for persons from Northern Italy and Sardinia. The age effect was U-shaped for HIV and HCV infections; HBV prevalence increased with age...
- Cancer incidence in pet dogs: findings of the Animal Tumor Registry of Genoa, Italy
D F Merlo
Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Department of Epidemiology and Prevention, National Cancer Research Institute, Genoa, Italy
J Vet Intern Med 22:976-84. 2008
..The occurrence of spontaneous tumors in pet animals has been estimated in a few European and North American veterinary cancer registries with dissimilar methodologies and variable reference populations...
- Underweight and overweight among children and adolescents in Tuscany (Italy). Prevalence and short-term trends
CREPS, Research Centre for Health Promotion and Education, University of Siena, Italy
J Prev Med Hyg 49:13-21. 2008
- Genetic variation within and between G1 and G3 genotypes of Echinococcus granulosus in Italy revealed by multilocus DNA sequencing
Department of Sciences of Public Health, Section of Parasitology, Sapienza University of Rome, P le Aldo Moro 5, 00185 Rome, Italy
Vet Parasitol 150:75-83. 2007
..In Italy, sequence analysis of the mitochondrial cox1 and nad1 genes showed the occurrence of the G1 genotype, the common ..
- Epidemiological and clinical study of viral respiratory tract infections in children from Italy
Department of Molecular Biology, Infectious Diseases Section, University of Siena, Policlinico S Maria delle Scotte, Siena, Italy
J Med Virol 81:750-6. 2009
..Although routine surveillance of respiratory viruses does not seem cost-effective, continuous monitoring of ARTI etiology could be a useful tool for planning resources for the development of new vaccines and antiviral agents...
- A 28,000 years old Cro-Magnon mtDNA sequence differs from all potentially contaminating modern sequences
Dipartimento di Biologia Evoluzionistica, Universita di Firenze, Firenze, Italy
PLoS ONE 3:e2700. 2008
..Doubts on the authenticity of the available sequences have so far hampered genetic comparisons between anatomically archaic (Neandertal) and early modern (Cro-Magnoid) Europeans...
- A case-control study on the effect of p53 and p73 gene polymorphisms on gastric cancer risk and progression
Emma De Feo
Genetic Epidemiology and Molecular Biology Unit, Institute of Hygiene, Universita Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Rome, Italy
Mutat Res 675:60-5. 2009
..selected environmental factors, on the risk for gastric cancer in a hospital-based case-control study conducted in Italy. The effect of these polymorphisms on cancer progression was also investigated...
- Seasonality in suicides: the influence of suicide method, gender and age on suicide distribution in Italy
CMG, Psychiatry Branch, Cagliari, Italy
Psychiatry Res 81:219-31. 1998
..to ascertain if and how age, gender and choice of lethal means influence the seasonal distribution of suicide in Italy, data concerning all suicides registered in Italy from 1984 to 1995 have been analyzed, taking these variables ..
- Suicide mortality in Italy from 1980 to 2002
Centre for Epidemiology, Surveillance and Health Promotion, National Institute of Health ISS, Rome, Italy
Psychiatry Res 175:89-97. 2010
The aim of this study is to update age and sex mortality rates for suicide in Italy; to evaluate the methods of suicide; to consider the effect of under-reporting on mortality rate for suicide; to compare age-adjusted mortality rates for ..
- Pathological, clinical and prognostic characteristics of breast cancer in Central Sudan versus Northern Italy: implications for breast cancer in Africa
K D Awadelkarim
Department of Molecular Biology, Institute of Nuclear Medicine, Molecular Biology and Oncology INMO, University of Gezira, Wad Medani, Sudan
Histopathology 52:445-56. 2008
..African and European patients, two breast cancer case series, from Central Sudan (Khartoum) and Northern Italy (Milan), were compared for clinicopathological characteristics, expression of oestrogen receptor (ER), ..
- Transmitted HIV Type 1 drug resistance and Non-B subtypes prevalence among seroconverters and newly diagnosed patients from 1992 to 2005 in Italy
Department of Clinical Sciences L Sacco Hospital, University of Milan, Italy
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 26:41-9. 2010
..spread, and epidemiological trends were evaluated either in seroconverters or in newly diagnosed individuals in Italy over a 13-year period...
- Comparative analysis of medicinal plants used in traditional medicine in Italy and Tunisia
Maria Lucia Leporatti
Dipartimento di Biologia Vegetale, Universita La Sapienza Roma, Italy
J Ethnobiol Ethnomed 5:31. 2009
b>Italy and Tunisia (Africa for the Romans), facing each other on the opposite sides of the Mediterranean Sea, have been historically linked since the ancient times...
- Molecular typing of Mycobacterium bovis strains isolated in Italy from 2000 to 2006 and evaluation of variable-number tandem repeats for geographically optimized genotyping
M Beatrice Boniotti
Centro Nazionale di Referenza per la Tubercolosi Bovina, Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale Lombardia e Emilia Romagna, Via Bianchi 9, 25124 Brescia, Italy
J Clin Microbiol 47:636-44. 2009
..caprae isolated strains has been routinely carried out in Italy since 2000 to obtain a database of genetic profiles and support traditional epidemiological investigations...
- A significant proportion of patients with chronic hepatitis B who are candidates for antiviral treatment are untreated: A region-wide survey in Italy
Edoardo G Giannini
Cattedra di Gastroenterologia, Dipartimento di Medicina Interna, Universita di Genova, Italy
J Clin Gastroenterol 43:1001-7. 2009
Between 350 and 400 million people worldwide have chronic hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection, and in Italy this figure is 1% to 2% in the general population...
- Azithromycin-resistant Neisseria gonorrhoeae strains recently isolated in Italy
Department of Infectious, Parasitic and Immune Mediated Diseases, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
J Antimicrob Chemother 63:1200-4. 2009
The aim of this study was to characterize 22 azithromycin-resistant Neisseria gonorrhoeae isolates, collected in Italy from January 2007 through June 2008, during a study of the prevalence of antibiotic resistance.
- Gestational diabetes mellitus in Italy: a multicenter study
Department of Clinical and Surgical Sciences, Padova University, Padova, Italy
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 145:149-53. 2009
..This prospective study evaluated the impact of gestational diabetes on maternal and fetal outcome in a large cohort of women with gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) followed up using standardized clinical criteria...
- Evidence for an impact on the incidence of canine leishmaniasis by the mass use of deltamethrin-impregnated dog collars in southern Italy
Department of Parasitology, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Med Vet Entomol 15:358-63. 2001
..We made a field evaluation of the efficacy of deltamethrin dog collars in a CanL focus of southern Italy, Mount Vesuvius area of Campania region, where the vector is Phlebotomus perniciosus Newstead (Diptera: ..
- No evidence for association between dyslexia and DYX1C1 functional variants in a group of children and adolescents from Southern Italy
Chair of Child Neuropsychiatry, Department of Pediatrics, Second University of Naples, Naples, Italy
J Mol Neurosci 27:311-4. 2005
..We investigated the role of these variants in dyslexic children and adolescents from Southern Italy. No significant evidence for association between dyslexia and these DYX1C1 putative functional variants has been ..
- Evaluation of service mammography screening impact in Italy. The contribution of hazard analysis
Clinical and Descriptive Epidemiology Unit, CSPO, Research Institute of the Tuscany Region, Firenze, Italy
Eur J Cancer 44:858-65. 2008
..96 in the [5-10] year time window, suggesting minimal or any length bias. Consistent with the results of randomised trials, these analyses of service screening data document a mortality reduction of 36% at 5-10 years after diagnosis...
- Cancer mortality in Italy, 2003
Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche Mario Negri, Milan, Italy
Tumori 95:655-64. 2009
This report provides data and statistics for cancer mortality in Italy in 2003, updating previous work on the issue.
- Anaplasma phagocytophilum groEL gene heterogeneity in Ixodes ricinus larvae feeding on roe deer in Northeastern Italy
Centre for Alpine Ecology, Edmund Mach Foundation, Trento, Italy
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 9:179-84. 2009
..phagocytophilum in a tick-borne diseases endemic area in Northeastern Italy. Ixodes ricinus feeding on roe deer were collected and analyzed for the presence for A...
- Wild ungulates as Babesia hosts in northern and central Italy
Maria Paola Tampieri
Department of Veterinary Public Health and Animal Pathology, Alma Mater Studiorum University of Bologna, Italy
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 8:667-74. 2008
Babesia and Theileria species were investigated in wild ungulates of Northern and Central Italy. Of 355 blood samples examined, 108 (30...
- The Chikungunya epidemic in Italy and its repercussion on the blood system
Giancarlo Maria Liumbruno
Centro Nazionale Sangue, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Roma, Italy
Blood Transfus 6:199-210. 2008
..Between July and September 2007 it caused the first autochthonous epidemic outbreak in Europe, in the Region of Emilia-Romagna in the north-east of Italy.
- Appropriateness of early breast cancer management in relation to patient and hospital characteristics: a population based study in Northern Italy
Department of Psychology, University of Torino, Torino, Italy
Breast Cancer Res Treat 117:349-56. 2009
..records and linked to the radiotherapy outpatient database during 2000-2004 in the Piedmont region of Northwestern Italy. Women treated with breast-conserving surgery followed by radiotherapy (BCS + RT) were compared to those treated ..
- Screening and Management of HIV-2-Infected Individuals in Northern Italy
Institute of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, University of Brescia, Brecia, Italy
AIDS Patient Care STDS 22:489-94. 2008
There is a lack of updated estimates of HIV-2 infection in Italy. Moreover, lack of standardized HIV-2 viral load (VL) and drug resistance tests challenges clinical practice...
- Prevalence and antihyperglycemic prescribing trends for patients with type 2 diabetes in Italy: a 4-year retrospective study from national primary care data
Italian College of General Practitioners, Florence, Italy
Pharmacol Res 57:358-63. 2008
To estimate the prevalence of type 2 diabetes in Italy and to investigate patient-related variables associated with the use of different antihyperglycemic therapies...
- Survival of pleural malignant mesothelioma in Italy: a population-based study
Department of Epidemiology and Prevention, Liguria Mesothelioma Registry, National Cancer Research Institute IST, Genoa, Italy
Int J Cancer 124:201-7. 2009
..Age and morphology were the main prognostic factors. Results regarding the effect of treatment were disappointing but may be useful to assess the future impact, at the population level, of recently introduced therapies...
- Landmark-based shape analysis of the archaic Homo calvarium from Ceprano (Italy)
Dipartimento di Biologia Animale e dell Uomo, Universita La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Am J Phys Anthropol 132:355-66. 2007
..heidelbergensis/rhodesiensis that is properly represented by the Italian specimen...
- Antidepressant drug consumption and public health indicators in Italy, 1955 to 2000
Department of Psychiatry, University of Hull, UK
J Clin Psychiatry 66:750-5. 2005
- Hepatotoxicity development during antiretroviral therapy containing protease inhibitors in patients with HIV: the role of hepatitis B and C virus infection
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, II Faculty of Medicine, University of Rome La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 29:41-8. 2002
..Moreover, chronic hepatotoxicity mainly occurs in patients who did not respond to therapy. Conversely, patients who did respond to ART seemed to show improvement of chronic liver infection...
- Comparison of prostate cancer mortality in five countries: France, Italy, Japan, UK and USA from the WHO mortality database (1960-2000)
Statistics and Cancer Control Division, National Cancer Center
Jpn J Clin Oncol 35:690-1. 2005
- Decennial trends of social differentials in smoking habits in Italy
Department of Public Health, University of Torino, Italy
Cancer Causes Control 12:665-71. 2001
To present social trends of smoking habits in Italy during the period 1980-1994.
- Chikungunya in north-eastern Italy: a summing up of the outbreak
Dipartimento Sanita Pubblica, Azienda Unita Sanitaria Locale Department of Public Health, Local Health Unit, Ravenna, Italy
Euro Surveill 12:E071122.2. 2007
- Prevalence rates of respiratory symptoms and diseases in general population samples of North and Central Italy
CNR Institute of Clinical Physiology and Cardiopulmonary Department, University and Hospital of Pisa, Italy
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 3:1034-42. 1999
Four cross-sectional general population surveys in Italy: northern rural Po Delta area (1980-1982, n = 3284; 1988-1991, n = 2841), and central urban Pisa area (1985-1988, n = 3865; 1991-1993, n = 2841).
- Prevalence of primary clarithromycin resistance in Helicobacter pylori strains over a 15 year period in Italy
Vincenzo De Francesco
Gastroenterology Unit, Ospedali Riuniti, Foggia, Italy
J Antimicrob Chemother 59:783-5. 2007
- Sex differential patterns in perinatal deaths in Italy
Dipartimento di Genetica e Biologia Molecolare C Darwin, Universita La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Hum Biol 74:879-88. 2002
- Classic Kaposi's sarcoma in Italy, 1985-1998
L Dal Maso
Servizio di Epidemiologia e Biostatistica, Centro di Riferimento Oncologico IRCCS, via Pedemontana Occ le 12, 33081 Aviano, Italy
Br J Cancer 92:188-93. 2005
To evaluate incidence rates (IRs) of classic Kaposi's sarcoma (CKS) in Italy after the spread of AIDS, we distinguished CKS from AIDS-related KS (AKS) using an 'ad hoc' record linkage procedure between 15 Cancer Registries (CRs) (21% of ..
- Current status and epidemiological observation of Thelazia callipaeda (Spirurida, Thelaziidae) in dogs, cats and foxes in Italy: a "coincidence" or a parasitic disease of the Old Continent?
Department of Animal Health and Welfare, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Bari, Str Prov per Casamassima Km3, 70010, Bari, Italy
Vet Parasitol 116:315-25. 2003
..incidence was reported only from the Russian Federation and the Far East, but recently it has also been found in Italy. In order to investigate the spread of T...
- Cross-sectional database analysis of antidepressant prescribing in Italy
Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche Mario Negri, Milano, Italy
J Clin Psychopharmacol 23:31-4. 2003
..From a database covering a population of 1,057,053 residents in Piedmont, Italy, and including all community (i.e...
- Viral encephalopathy and retinopathy of farmed marine fish species in Italy
Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale delle Venezie, Padova, Italy
Virus Res 63:143-6. 1999
..mainly juvenile and adult sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) have been observed in several on-growing facilities in Italy. Dying fish show abnormal swimming behaviour and, at temperatures higher than 20-22 degrees C, mortality rates ..
- Human anisakiasis in Italy: a report of eleven new cases
Department of Veterinary Public Health and Animal Pathology, University of Bologna, Italy
Pathol Res Pract 198:429-34. 2002
The authors report on eleven new human cases of anisakiasis occurring in Italy, and emphasize the importance of the infection in clinical medicine, histopathology and public health...
- Invasive infections caused by Trichosporon species and Geotrichum capitatum in patients with hematological malignancies: a retrospective multicenter study from Italy and review of the literature
Dipartimento di Biotecnologie Cellulari ed Ematologia, Universita La Sapienza, Via Benevento 6, 00161 Rome, Italy
J Clin Microbiol 43:1818-28. 2005
..and 55.7% for G. capitatum. The optimal therapy for trichosporonosis has yet to be identified; however, in vitro experiences are providing encouraging evidence of the potential role of the new triazoles, in particular, voriconazole...
- A cranium for the earliest Europeans: phylogenetic position of the hominid from Ceprano, Italy
Istituto Italiano di Paleontologia Umana, Rome, Italy
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:10011-6. 2001
..sample from Atapuerca-TD6 (Spain) and the incomplete adult calvaria discovered near Ceprano, in Southern Latium (Italy)...