- Adherence to a Mediterranean diet and survival in a Greek population
Department of Hygiene and Epidemiology, University of Athens Medical School, Athens, Greece
N Engl J Med 348:2599-608. 2003
..Adherence to a Mediterranean diet may improve longevity, but relevant data are limited...
- Outbreak of infections due to KPC-2-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae in a hospital in Crete (Greece)
H C Maltezou
Department for Interventions in Health Care Facilities, Hellenic Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, Athens, Greece
J Infect 58:213-9. 2009
..due to carbapenem resistant KPC-2-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae occurred in a tertiary care hospital in Crete (Greece)...
- Quantifying the wind dispersal of Culicoides species in Greece and Bulgaria
Avia GIS, Risschotlei 33, 2980 Zoersel, Belgium
Geospat Health 1:177-89. 2007
..from patterns of the spread of bluetongue outbreaks between farms (using outbreak data from 1999-2001 for Greece, Bulgaria and Turkey) and then matched to concurrent wind patterns...
- The prevalence of the metabolic syndrome in Greece: the MetS-Greece Multicentre Study
V G Athyros
Atherosclerosis and Metabolic Syndrome Units, Aristotelian University, Hippocration Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece
Diabetes Obes Metab 7:397-405. 2005
..Limited information is available about the prevalence of MetS, as defined by the NCEP ATP III, in Europe, especially in Greece.
- Inflammatory cytokine gene variants in coronary artery disease patients in Greece
Department of Cardiology, Onassis Cardiac Surgery Center, Athens, Greece
Coron Artery Dis 19:575-82. 2008
..Abundant evidence supports the central role of inflammatory cytokines in immune responses mediating the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis, coronary artery disease, and its complications, such as myocardial infarction and unstable angina...
- Prevalence of COPD in Greece
Department of Thoracic Medicine, University of Crete, Medical School, Greece
Chest 125:892-900. 2004
The prevalence of COPD in Greece is unknown. The aim of this study was to determine the prevalence and trends of COPD among adults in Greece.
- Psychological consequences among adults following the 1999 earthquake in Athens, Greece
Academy of Athens, Biomedical Research Foundation, Athens, Greece
Disasters 32:280-91. 2008
One year after the 7 September 1999 earthquake in Athens, Greece, we investigated the psychological consequences among 305 individuals (71 per cent female) residing in the settlements of Ano Liosia Municipality...
- Ongoing epidemic of blaVIM-1-positive Klebsiella pneumoniae in Athens, Greece: a prospective survey
First Department of Propaedeutic Medicine, Medical School, University of Athens, Athens, Greece
J Antimicrob Chemother 61:59-63. 2008
..To determine the current frequency and study the characteristics of VIM-1-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae isolates from bloodstream infections in Greek hospitals...
- Presentation of childhood brucellosis in Western Greece
Department of Pediatrics, School of Medicine, University of Patras, Patras, Greece
Jpn J Infect Dis 59:160-3. 2006
..and final outcomes of brucellosis in children and to compare our data with those of other studies performed in Greece. Fifty-two children treated for brucellosis in the Department of Pediatrics during the decade 1995-2004 were ..
- Changes in epidemiological patterns of HCV infection and their impact on liver disease over the last 20 years in Greece
S P Savvas
Second Department of Medicine, Athens University, Athens, Greece
J Viral Hepat 12:551-7. 2005
..The presence of cirrhosis was associated only with the duration of infection. These observations have impact both on prevention and treatment...
- Yeast populations residing on healthy or botrytis-infected grapes from a vineyard in Attica, Greece
Aspasia A Nisiotou
Laboratory of Microbiology and Biotechnology of Foods, Department of Food Science and Technology, Agricultural University of Athens, Iera Odos 75, Athens, Greece
Appl Environ Microbiol 73:2765-8. 2007
..opuntiae from the closely related organism Hanseniaspora guilliermondii. Botrytis infection resulted in a larger population and greater diversity of yeasts enriched with fermentative or spoilage species...
- Viral agents of acute gastroenteritis in hospitalized children in Greece
Department of Microbiology, Medical School, University of Ioannina, Ioannina, Greece
Clin Microbiol Infect 15:596-8. 2009
..was conducted to investigate the role of enteric viruses as a cause of gastroenteritis in north-west Greece. Rotaviruses, noroviruses, adenoviruses and astroviruses were detected in 21.35%, 4%, 3.5% and 2...
- Community acquired MRSA infections in a paediatric population in Greece
Department of Microbiology, National School of Public Health, Athens, Greece
Euro Surveill 10:78-9. 2005
..They all were found resistant to fusidic acid, tetracycline and kanamycin, and displayed a PFGE pattern identical to that of the well-described ST80 CA-MRSA clone circulating in various European countries...
- Epidemiology of leisure-time physical activity in socio-demographic, lifestyle and psychological characteristics of men and women in Greece: the ATTICA Study
First Cardiology Clinic, School of Medicine, University of Athens, Athens, Greece
BMC Public Health 5:37. 2005
We aimed to evaluate the prevalence, frequency and type of leisure-time physical activity (LTPA) among adults in Greece, as well as its relationship with socio-demographic, lifestyle and clinical characteristics of these people.
- Subconjunctival filariasis due to Onchocerca sp. in dogs: report of 23 cases in Greece
Clinic of Surgery, Department of Clinical Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Thessaloniki, Greece
Vet Ophthalmol 5:119-26. 2002
..admitted to the Clinic of Surgery, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece, between 1997 and 2000...
- Low vitamin D status in mother-newborn pairs in Greece
Third Department of Pediatrics, Athens University Medical School, University General Hospital Attikon, Chaidari, Greece, 12464
Calcif Tissue Int 78:337-42. 2006
..To determine the actual situation in Greece, we evaluated serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25[OH]D), calcium (Ca), phosphorus (P), alkaline phosphatase (ALP), ..
- Assessment of the surface water quality in Northern Greece
Faculty of Chemistry, University of Sofia St Kl Okhridski, J Bourchier Blvd 1, 1164 Sofia, Bulgaria
Water Res 37:4119-24. 2003
..of a large and complex data matrix obtained during a monitoring program of surface waters in Northern Greece is presented in this study...
- Predictors of health-related quality of life in type II diabetic patients in Greece
Angelos A Papadopoulos
Faculty of Social Sciences, Hellenic Open University, Riga Fereou 169 and Tsamadou, Patras, Greece
BMC Public Health 7:186. 2007
..The aim of this study was to assess health-related quality of life (HRQOL) of Greek Type II DM patients and to identify significant predictors of the disease in this patient population...
- Adherence to the Mediterranean diet attenuates inflammation and coagulation process in healthy adults: The ATTICA Study
First Cardiology Clinic, School of Medicine, University of Athens, Athens, Greece
J Am Coll Cardiol 44:152-8. 2004
..We studied the effect of the Mediterranean diet on plasma levels of C-reactive protein (CRP), white blood cell counts, interleukin (IL)-6, tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-alpha, amyloid A, fibrinogen, and homocysteine...
- Epidemiology of overweight and obesity in a Greek adult population: the ATTICA Study
Demosthenes B Panagiotakos
Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, Harokopio University, Athens, Greece
Obes Res 12:1914-20. 2004
..To evaluate the status of overweight and obesity in a Greek random sample...
- Validating and norming of the Greek SF-36 Health Survey
Faculty of Social Sciences, Hellenic Open University, Patras, Greece
Qual Life Res 14:1433-8. 2005
..Significant statistical differences in mean scores were observed in relation to demographic and social characteristics such as gender, age, education and marital status...
- Epidemiology, clinical course and impact on hospitalization costs of acute diarrhea among hospitalized children in Athens, Greece
D A Kafetzis
Second Department of Pediatrics, University of Athens, Greece
Scand J Infect Dis 33:681-5. 2001
..the etiology, morbidity and hospitalization costs associated with acute diarrhea among hospitalized children in Greece. During 1999, 294 hospitalized children (median age 1 y) with acute diarrhea were prospectively studied...
- Prevalence of hepatitis C virus infection in a cohort of pregnant women in northern Greece and transmission of HCV from mother to child
Fourth Medical Department, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
Eur J Epidemiol 17:263-6. 2001
- First partial characterisation of small ruminant lentiviruses from Greece
Laboratory of Biochemistry and Toxicology, School of Veterinary Medicine, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
Vet Microbiol 109:1-9. 2005
Small ruminant lentivirus (SRLV) infections are widespread in Greece, but SRLVs have never been isolated and characterized...
- Moxifloxacin resistance is prevalent among Bacteroides and Prevotella species in Greece
Department of Microbiology, Medical School, University of Athens, 11527 Athens, Greece
J Antimicrob Chemother 62:137-41. 2008
..However, current European data regarding its activity against anaerobic pathogens are limited. In order to evaluate its potency, we comparatively studied the activity of moxifloxacin against recently isolated Gram-negative anaerobes...
- Economic evaluation of docetaxel/gemcitabine versus docetaxel as frontline treatment of patients with advanced/metastatic non-small cell lung cancer in Greece
Department of Medical Oncology, University General Hospital of Heraklion, Voutes 71110, Crete, Greece
Lung Cancer 58:275-81. 2007
- Dietary intakes of elite female athletes in Greece
M N Hassapidou
Technological and Educational Institute of Thessaloniki, School of Food Technology and Nutrition, Department of Nutrition, 54101 Thessaloniki, Greece
J Hum Nutr Diet 14:391-6. 2001
Although there is a great interest in sports in Greece, there are very few data regarding dietary intakes and habits of Greek elite female athletes...
- Risk factors for smoking among school adolescents in Greece
Chania General Hospital, Chania, Crete, Greece
Child Care Health Dev 34:310-5. 2008
..We conducted this study among school adolescents to identify factors, which influence schoolchildren to smoke...
- Molecular characterization of Echinococcus granulosus in sheep and goats of Peloponnesus, Greece
Dipartimento di Biologia Animale, Sezione di Parassitologia e Malattie Parassitarie Università degli Studi di Sassari, Via Vienna 2, 07100 Sassari, Italy
Parasitol Res 101:1135-9. 2007
Although cystic echinococcosis (CE) has been a recognized public health problem in Greece, molecular data are lacking regarding the types and prevalences of infecting strains of the etiological agent Echinococcus granulosus...
- Geographical patterning of sixteen goat breeds from Italy, Albania and Greece assessed by Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms
Dipartimento di Produzioni Animali, Universita degli Studi della Tuscia, Viterbo, Italy
BMC Ecol 9:20. 2009
..496 individuals belonging to Italian, Albanian and Greek breeds were genotyped to assess the basic population parameters...
- Prevalence of obesity and physical inactivity among farmers from Crete (Greece), four decades after the Seven Countries Study
C I Vardavas
Department of Social Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Crete, PO Box 2208, Heraklion 71003, Crete, Greece
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 19:156-62. 2009
..Taking the above into account we investigated the prevalence of obesity and its indexes among farmers in Crete in 2005...
- Prognosis of stroke in the south of Greece: 1 year mortality, functional outcome and its determinants: the Arcadia Stroke Registry
K N Vemmos
Department of Clinical Therapeutics, University of Athens School of Medicine, Alexandra Hospital, 80 Vasilissis Sofias and Lourou Street, 11528, Athens, Greece
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 69:595-600. 2000
For Greece, data on incidence of stroke, type of stroke, and prognosis of stroke is limited. Recently, results on incidence of stroke were published...
- The prevalence of hepatitis C and hepatitis G virus infection in patients with B cell non-Hodgkin lymphomas in Greece: a Hellenic Cooperative Oncology Group Study
AHEPA Hospital, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
Acta Haematol 112:189-93. 2004
..The increased prevalence of HGV infection detected in patients with NHL could imply the potential participation of HGV in the pathogenesis of NHL...
- Occurrence, virulence genes and antibiotic resistance of Escherichia coli O157 isolated from raw bovine, caprine and ovine milk in Greece
Laboratory of Hygiene of Foods of Animal Origin, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Thessaly, 43100 Karditsa, Greece
Food Microbiol 26:865-71. 2009
..bovine (n = 950), caprine (n = 460) and ovine (n = 595) bulk milk samples collected throughout several regions in Greece for the presence of Escherichia coli serogroup O157 resulted in the isolation of 29 strains (1...
- Invasive meningococcal disease in children in Greece: comparison of serogroup A disease with disease caused by other serogroups
M N Tsolia
Second Dept of Pediatrics P and A Kyriakou Children s Hospital, University of Athens School of Medicine, Thivon and Levadias St, 115 27, Athens, Greece
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 25:449-56. 2006
..by serogroup A is not prevalent in developed countries, a considerable number of cases were recently recorded in Greece. In this study, serogroup A meningococcal disease was compared prospectively with meningococcal disease caused by ..
- Complete screening for glucocerebrosidase mutations in Parkinson disease patients from Greece
Department of General Biology, Medical School, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, GR 54124, Thessaloniki, Greece
Neurosci Lett 452:87-9. 2009
..Overall, GBA mutations were significantly overrepresented in a subgroup of early onset PD patients, compared to controls (P = 0.019, OR = 4.2; 95%CI = 1.28 -- 13.82), suggesting that GBA mutations may modify age of onset for PD...
- Microscopic eukaryotes living in a dying lake (Lake Koronia, Greece)
Department of Botany, School of Biology, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 69:75-83. 2009
..Two phylotypes representing novel members belonging to the Jakobida and the Apicomplexa were also found. The microscopic eukaryotes of Lake Koronia include several organisms that are related to parasitic life modes...
- PM10-bound polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) in the Greater Area of Athens, Greece
Environmental Pollution Control Laboratory, Department of Chemistry, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, 541 24 Thessaloniki, Greece
Chemosphere 59:593-604. 2005
..hydrocarbons (PAHs) associated to ambient PM10 were determined at four sites within the Greater Athens Area (GAA), Greece, during the period May 2001-June 2002...
- Traditional Mediterranean diet and longevity in the elderly: a review
Department of Hygiene and Epidemiology, School of Medicine, University of Athens, Greece
Public Health Nutr 7:943-7. 2004
..To review the evidence that the traditional Mediterranean diet is associated with longevity...
- Factors that motivate and hinder blood donation in Greece
Blood Bank, Asklipeion Hospital, Athens, Greece
Transfus Med 17:443-50. 2007
Donations in Greece are insufficient to cover the high transfusion needs arising from large numbers of thalassaemia and sickle cell anaemia patients and the implementation of new surgical techniques...
- Posttraumatic stress and depressive reactions among children and adolescents after the 1999 earthquake in Ano Liosia, Greece
Attiki Child Psychiatric Hospital, Athens, Greece
Am J Psychiatry 162:530-7. 2005
..stress and depressive reactions among children and adolescents 3 months after the 1999 earthquake in Ano Liosia, Greece, and additionally assessed the relationship of these reactions to objective and subjective features of earthquake ..
- Economic evaluation of treatment strategies for patients suffering acute myocardial infarction in Greece
General University Hospital of Patras, Rion, Greece
Hellenic J Cardiol 46:212-21. 2005
Acute myocardial infarction (AMI) is one of the leading causes of death in Greece and elsewhere...
- Melanoma/skin cancer screening in a Mediterranean country: results of the Euromelanoma Screening Day Campaign in Greece
Department of Dermatology, University of Athens Medical School, Andreas Sygros Hospital, Athens, Greece
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 21:56-62. 2007
Since the year 2000 a melanoma/skin cancer screening campaign has been organized annually in Greece in the context of the Euromelanoma Screening Day Campaign.
- Biotype status and genetic polymorphism of the whitefly Bemisia tabaci (Hemiptera: Aleyrodidae) in Greece: mitochondrial DNA and microsatellites
National Agricultural Research Foundation, Plant Institute, Heraklion, UK
Bull Entomol Res 97:29-40. 2007
..whitefly Bemisia tabaci (Gennadius) have been studied in population samples taken from different localities within Greece from cultivated plants growing in greenhouses or in open environments and from non-cultivated plants...
- A 5-year study of the bacterial pathogens associated with acute diarrhoea on the island of Crete, Greece, and their resistance to antibiotics
Department of Clinical Bacteriology Parasitology Zoonoses and Geographical Medicine, University Hospital of Heraklion, P O Box 1352, Heraklion 711 10, Crete, Greece
Eur J Epidemiol 18:85-90. 2003
..9% of them. With the present study we continue the surveillance of bacterial pathogens associated with diarrhoeal disease on the island of Crete...
- Adherence to the screening program for HBV infection in pregnant women delivering in Greece
2nd Department of Pediatrics, University of Athens, Children s Hospital A Kyriakou, Goudi 11527, Athens, Greece
BMC Infect Dis 6:84. 2006
..A national prevention programme for HBV with universal screening of pregnant women and vaccination of infants is in effect since 1998 in Greece.
- Primary gastrointestinal non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: a clinicopathologic study of 128 cases in Greece. A Hellenic Cooperative Oncology Group study (HeCOG)
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Athens University, University General Hospital Attikon, Haidari, Greece
Leuk Lymphoma 47:2140-6. 2006
..0001). The International Prognostic Index (IPI) for patients with aggressive lymphomas was prognostic only for DFS (79% for low-risk patients [IPI score 0 - 1] vs 49% for higher risk groups [IPI score >1] at 3-year, P = 0.0131)...
- Socioeconomic factors play a more important role in childhood vaccination coverage than parental perceptions: a cross-sectional study in Greece
Department of Child Health, National School of Public Health, 196 Alexandras Av, 11521 Athens, Greece
Vaccine 28:1861-9. 2010
To identify predictive factors of complete and age-appropriate vaccination status in Greece, we conducted a cross-sectional study, using stratified cluster sampling, among children attending the first year of the Greek Grammar school (..
- Studying the association between musculoskeletal disorders, quality of life and mental health. A primary care pilot study in rural Crete, Greece
Maria D Antonopoulou
Clinic of Social and Family Medicine, Department of Social Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Crete, 74100 Heraklion, Crete, Greece
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 10:143. 2009
..The objective of this study was to explore the association between MSD and the quality of life and mental health of patients and to discuss issues concerning care seeking patterns in rural Greece.
- Human herpesvirus 8 (HHV-8) infection in healthy urban employees from Greece: seroprevalence and associated factors
Department of Hygiene and Epidemiology, Athens University Medical School, Athens, Greece
J Med Virol 79:591-6. 2007
A cross-sectional study was carried out in healthy company employees from Greece with the aim of assessing the prevalence of human herpesvirus 8 (HHV-8) and identifying risk factors for this herpesviral infection...
- Leishmaniases in Northern Greece: seroprevalence of the infection and incidence of the disease during the period 2001-2006
First Department of Microbiology, Medical School, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, 54 124, Greece
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 27:997-1003. 2008
..seroprevalence of Leishmania infantum infection in the general population and in HIV infected subjects of Northern Greece, bordering the Mediterranean basin where leishmaniasis is endemic...
- Epidemiological and clinical aspects of human brucellosis in Central Greece
Department of Respiratory Diseases, Medical Faculty of Larissa, University of Thessaly, Larissa, Greece
Jpn J Infect Dis 60:362-6. 2007
The confirmed cases of human brucellosis in the area of Larissa in Central Greece from 2003 to 2005 were analyzed to assess the features of the affected population and to determine the factors influencing the acquisition of infection...
- Factors influencing prescribing behaviour of physicians in Greece and Cyprus: results from a questionnaire based survey
Department of Health Economics and Management, Open University of Cyprus, Cyprus
BMC Health Serv Res 9:150. 2009
..The present study investigates the attitudes and the factors which influence physician prescribing decisions and practice in Greece and Cyprus.
- Plasmid-mediated carbapenem-hydrolyzing beta-lactamase KPC-2 in Klebsiella pneumoniae isolate from Greece
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:796-7. 2008
- Mediterranean diet and longevity
University of Athens Medical School, Department of Hygiene and Epidemiology, Mikras Asias 75, Athens 115 27, Greece
Br J Nutr 84:S205-9. 2000
..Wild edible greens frequently eaten in rural Greece in the form of salads and pies contain very high quantities of flavonoids-- considerably higher than those found ..
- Energy intake, diet composition, energy expenditure, and body fatness of adolescents in northern Greece
Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, Technological Educational Institution of Thessaloniki, PO Box 14561, 54101 Thessaloniki, Greece
Obesity (Silver Spring) 14:855-62. 2006
The purpose of this study was to examine energy intake, energy expenditure, diet composition, and obesity of adolescents in Northern Greece.
- Evolution of aminoglycoside resistance phenotypes of four Gram-negative bacteria: an 8-year survey in a University Hospital in Greece
Departments of Clinical Bacteriology, University Hospital of Heraklion, Heraklion 1352, Crete 71110, Greece
Int J Antimicrob Agents 22:526-31. 2003
..7 and 46.5%, respectively). Phenotypes indicative for gentamicin-modifying enzymes as well as broad-spectrum combinations (combinations of gentamicin-modifying enzymes with AAC(6')-I) were infrequent...
- Prevalence of hypertension and association of dietary mineral intake with blood pressure in healthy schoolchildren from northern Greece aged 7-15 years
2nd Pediatric Department, Renal Unit, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, School of Medicine, AHEPA Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece
Ann Nutr Metab 51:471-6. 2007
Pediatric hypertension is urgently increasing in Greece. The purpose of this study is to record the prevalence of hypertension in schoolchildren and to relate dietary minerals to blood pressure (BP).
- Fifteen-year trends in metastatic breast cancer survival in Greece
Laboratory of Biostatistics, Department of Nursing, School of Health Sciences, University of Athens, Papadiamantopoulou 123, Athens 11527, Greece
Breast Cancer Res Treat 119:621-31. 2010
- Informal payments in public hospitals in Greece
Center for Health Services Management and Evaluation, Faculty of Nursing, University of Athens, Greece
Health Policy 87:72-81. 2008
Informal payments are an ingrained social institution in Greece. In some cases, they are also part of corruption in the health area, which includes a variety of other forms.
- Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever in Greece: a public health perspective
Helen C Maltezou
Department for Interventions in Health Care Facilities, Hellenic Center for Disease Control and Prevention, 42 3rd Septemvriou Street, Athens, Greece
Int J Infect Dis 13:713-6. 2009
In June 2008 the first non-imported fatal case of Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever (CCHF) was recorded in northern Greece. We present herein the public health interventions and the case definitions we developed for the epidemiological ..
- Development and assessment of a questionnaire for a descriptive cross-sectional study concerning parents' knowledge, attitudes and practises in antibiotic use in Greece
Sotiria G Panagakou
Department of Hygiene and Epidemiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Thessaly, Thessaly, Greece
BMC Infect Dis 9:52. 2009
..Finally, to note any limitations of the study...
- Hepatitis E virus antibodies in hemodialysis patients: an epidemiological survey in central Greece
University of Thessalia, School of Medicine, Larissa Greece
Int J Artif Organs 27:842-7. 2004
..here was to determine the prevalence of anti-HEV among HD patients of a well-defined semi-rural region in central Greece (Thessalia region)...
- Increasing prevalence of HIV-1 subtype A in Greece: estimating epidemic history and origin
Department of Hygiene and Epidemiology, National Retrovirus Reference Center, Athens, Greece
J Infect Dis 196:1167-76. 2007
..In North America and Europe, human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-1 infection has typically been dominated by subtype B transmission. More recently, however, non-B subtypes have been increasingly reported in Europe...
- Secular trends in cardiovascular risk factors among school-aged boys from Crete, Greece, 1982-2002
Laboratory of Nutrition and Clinical Dietetics, Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, Harokopio University, Kallithea, Athens, Greece
Eur J Clin Nutr 59:1-7. 2005
..The aim of the present study was to examine secular trends in major cardiovascular disease (CVD) risk factors, that is, obesity and dyslipidaemia, among Cretan children during 1982-2002...
- Increase in congenital rubella occurrence after immunisation in Greece: retrospective survey and systematic review
Department of Social Paediatrics, Institute of Child Health, Agia Sophia Children s Hospital, 11527 Athens, Greece
BMJ 319:1462-7. 1999
To describe the events leading to the epidemic of congenital rubella syndrome in Greece in 1993 after a major rubella epidemic.
- Assessment of health care needs and utilization in a mixed public-private system: the case of the Athens area
Faculty of Social Sciences, Hellenic Open University, Patras, Greece
BMC Health Serv Res 6:146. 2006
- Mortality rates of patients with a hip fracture in a southwestern district of Greece: ten-year follow-up with reference to the type of fracture
Orthopedic Department, University Hospital, University of Patras, Patras, Greece
Calcif Tissue Int 78:72-7. 2006
..83) times higher probability of death at 10 years (P = 0.002). In conclusion, the type of fracture is an independent predictor of long-term mortality in patients with hip fractures, and the intertrochanteric type yields worse prognosis...
- Reliability, validity and psychometric properties of the Greek translation of the Center for Epidemiological Studies-Depression (CES-D) Scale
3rd Department of Psychiatry, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
BMC Psychiatry 1:3. 2001
..The aim of the current study was to assess the reliability, validity and psychometric properties of the Greek translation of the Center for Epidemiological Studies- Depression Scale (CES-D)...
- Greek BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation spectrum: two BRCA1 mutations account for half the carriers found among high-risk breast/ovarian cancer patients
Molecular Diagnostics Laboratory, I R RP, National Center for Scientific Research Demokritos, Athens, Greece
Breast Cancer Res Treat 107:431-41. 2008
..The suggested protocol can impact on the clinical management of breast-ovarian cancer families on a national healthcare system level...
- Prevalence of overweight and obesity among children and adolescents in Thessaloniki-Greece and Kayseri-Turkey
Gerasimos E Krassas
Department of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, Panagia General Hospital, Thessaloniki Greece
Pediatr Endocrinol Rev 1:460-4. 2004
..investigate the prevalence of overweight and obesity among children and adolescents in the city of Thessaloniki, Greece and in the Kayseri area of Turkey and compare the results...
- Stroke incidence and case fatality in southern Greece: the Arcadia stroke registry
K N Vemmos
Department of Clinical Therapeutics, University of Athens School of Medicine, Alexandra Hospital, Athens, Greece
Stroke 30:363-70. 1999
For Greece, information on incidence of stroke and distribution of type of stroke has not been reported. We determined the incidence of first-ever stroke in men and women, the incidence of stroke by type, and the associated case fatality.
- Molecular epidemiology of hepatitis C virus (HCV) in Greece: temporal trends in HCV genotype-specific incidence and molecular characterization of genotype 4 isolates
Department of Hygiene and Epidemiology, Athens University Medical School, Athens, Greece
J Viral Hepat 13:19-27. 2006
..aimed to estimate the overall HCV genotype distribution and to reconstruct the HCV genotype-specific incidence in Greece during the recent decades...
- The herbal market of Thessaloniki (N Greece) and its relation to the ethnobotanical tradition
Laboratory of Systematic Botany and Phytogeography, School of Biology, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, 541 24 Thessaloniki, Greece
J Ethnopharmacol 91:281-99. 2004
..Thus it is suggested that the herb trade is still based on the Greek ethnobotanical tradition, dating from antiquity...
- Reliability, validity and psychometric properties of the Greek translation of the Zung Depression Rating Scale
K N Fountoulakis
3rd Department of Psychiatry, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
BMC Psychiatry 1:6. 2001
..The current study aimed to assess the reliability, validity and psychometric properties of the Greek translation of the Zung Depression Rating Scale (ZDRS)...
- Statistical modelling of 10-year fatal cardiovascular disease risk in Greece: the HellenicSCORE (a calibration of the ESC SCORE project)
Demosthenes B Panagiotakos
Unit of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, First Cardiology Clinic, School of Medicine, University of Athens, Greece
Hellenic J Cardiol 48:55-63. 2007
..We sought to calibrate the SCORE equations to the Greek population...
- Quinolone resistance among Escherichia coli strains from community-acquired urinary tract infections in Greece
Department of Microbiology, National School of Public Health, 196 Alexandras Avenue, Athens 115 21, Greece
Clin Microbiol Infect 10:75-8. 2004
..Susceptibility data for 10 049 Escherichia coli isolates derived from community-acquired urinary tract infections in Greece during the period January 2000 to June 2002 indicated 8...
- Morning and evening plasma melatonin and dexamethasone suppression test in patients with nonseasonal major depressive disorder from northern Greece (latitude 40-41.5 degrees )
K N Fountoulakis
Third Department of Psychiatry, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
Neuropsychobiology 44:113-7. 2001
..The present study aimed to search for correlations between melatonin (MT) levels and the dexamethasone suppression test (DST) and clinical variables...
- Nosocomial spread of OXA-58-positive carbapenem-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii isolates in a paediatric hospital in Greece
Service de Bacteriologie Virologie, Hopital de Bicetre, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Faculte de Medecine Paris Sud, Le Kremlin Bicetre, France
Clin Microbiol Infect 12:1138-41. 2006
..carbapenem-hydrolysing oxacillinase OXA-58 were recovered from patients in the same paediatric hospital in Athens, Greece, between November 2003 and May 2005...
- Socio-demographic factors and self-reported functional status: the significance of social support
Health Planning Division, Department of Social Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Crete, Greece
BMC Health Serv Res 2:20. 2002
..The aim of the present work was to investigate the relative importance of socio-demographic and physical health status factors for subjective functioning, as well as to examine the role of social support...
- Firework-related childhood injuries in Greece: a national problem
Department of Hygiene and Epidemiology, Athens University Medical School, 75 M Asias Street, Goudi, P O Box 115 27, Athens, Greece
Burns 30:151-3. 2004
..A sharp peak in spring was noted, when the Greek Orthodox Easter is celebrated. Illicitly sold fireworks caused most injuries, but in eight instances homemade firecrackers were responsible...
- Family, school and health in children and adolescents: findings from the 2006 HBSC study in Greece
Evangelos C Karademas
Department of Psychology, University of Crete, Rethymnon, Greece
J Health Psychol 13:1012-20. 2008
..Family and school factors were associated with self-rated health through health complaints and life satisfaction...
- Smoking habits among the hospital staff of a General Hospital in northern Greece: a long way for smoke-free hospitals
First Department of Internal Medicine, Serres General Hospital, Serres, Greece
Monaldi Arch Chest Dis 65:160-4. 2006
..all staff working in a General Hospital, and to examine whether these habits comply with the introduction of a tobacco law in July 2002, where smoking in enclosed public areas, including hospital buildings, has been forbidden in Greece.
- First episode of shellfish contamination by palytoxin-like compounds from Ostreopsis species (Aegean Sea, Greece)
Department of Botany, School of Biology, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, P O Box 109, Thessaloniki 54124, Greece
Toxicon 51:418-27. 2008
- Cluster of multidrug-resistant Neisseria gonorrhoeae with reduced susceptibility to the newer cephalosporins in Northern Greece
J Antimicrob Chemother 62:637-9. 2008
- Smoking habits of Greek preschool children's parents
Constantine I Vardavas
Preventive Medicine and Nutrition Clinic, Department of Social Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Crete, Heraklion, Crete, Greece
BMC Public Health 7:112. 2007
Smoking is Greece's largest public health threat. Greece has the highest adult smoking prevalence among all E.U countries, which in turn possibly predisposes Greek children and adolescents to smoke...
- What is so special about the diet of Greece? The scientific evidence
Artemis P Simopoulos
The Center for Genetics, Nutrition and Health, Washington, DC 20009, USA
World Rev Nutr Diet 95:80-92. 2005
- Prevalence of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and rhinitis in northern Greece
Pulmonary Clinic, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, and Laboratory for the Investigation of Environmental Diseases, G Papanikolaou Hospital, Exochi, Thessaloniki, Greece
Respiration 72:270-7. 2005
..Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) constitutes one of the main factors responsible for morbidity and mortality worldwide. Rhinitis has a high prevalence, but its relationship to COPD has not been determined...
- A gastroenteritis outbreak due to Norovirus infection in Xanthi, Northern Greece: management and public health consequences
Vassilios P Papadopoulos
Department of Emergencies, Xanthi General Hospital, 67100 Xanthi, Greece
J Gastrointestin Liver Dis 15:27-30. 2006
..Additionally, more chloride was added to the suspected well (10 ppm or 10 mg/l). Fourteen days later, the outbreak waned and all measures were withdrawn...
- Population-based study of human papillomavirus infection and cervical neoplasia in Athens, Greece
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Medical School, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Greece
Epidemiol Infect 135:943-50. 2007
..is to describe the prevalence of the different HPV types in women with pre-neoplastic lesions of the cervix in Greece. Cervical scrapes from 841 women were obtained for both cytological evaluation and analysis for the presence of ..
- Antimicrobial susceptibility of Neisseria gonorrhoeae in Greece: data for the years 1994-2004
The National Reference Center for Neisseria gonorrhoeae, Laboratory of Bacteriology, Hellenic Pasteur Institute, Athens, Greece
J Antimicrob Chemother 57:775-9. 2006
Surveillance data concerning antimicrobial susceptibilities of Neisseria gonorrhoeae isolated in Greece during the 11 year period 1994-2004 are presented.
- Gastrointestinal parasites of shepherd and hunting dogs in the Serres Prefecture, Northern Greece
Laboratory of Parasitology and Parasitic Diseases, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Aristotle University, 54124 Thessaloniki, Greece
Vet Parasitol 148:170-3. 2007
..A total of 281 faecal samples from owned shepherd and hunting dogs were collected in the Serres Prefecture, Northern Greece and were examined for the presence of intestinal parasites...
- Distribution of serogroups and genotypes among disease-associated and carried isolates of Neisseria meningitidis from the Czech Republic, Greece, and Norway
Siamak P Yazdankhah
Department of Airborne Infections, Division of Infectious Disease Control, Norwegian Institute of Public Health, P O Box 4404 Nydalen, NO 0403 Oslo, Norway
J Clin Microbiol 42:5146-53. 2004
..and carried meningococci from the period 1991 to 2000 in three European countries (the Czech Republic, Greece, and Norway) was investigated...
- Comparison of the volatile composition in thyme honeys from several origins in Greece
Laboratory of Sericulture and Apiculture, Agricultural University of Athens, 75 Iera Odos St, 118 55 Athens, Greece
J Agric Food Chem 55:8152-7. 2007
Thyme honey is the most appreciated unifloral Greek honey in Greece as well as around the world...
- The control of dyslipidemia in outpatient clinics in Greece (OLYMPIC) Study
E J Diamantopoulos
Angiology 56:731-41. 2005
..diet and/or LLDT for at least 3 months were assessed in a multicenter study performed at 66 sites across Greece. Patients were followed up for an additional 3-month treatment period...
- An analysis of patient house calls in the area of Attica, Greece
Alfa Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Athens, Greece
BMC Health Serv Res 6:112. 2006
Physicians house calls to patients have been declining in many countries of the world. The objective of this study was to describe the patterns of utilization of house call services provided by SOS doctors in the area of Attica, Greece.
- Lead concentrations and isotope ratios in street dust in major cities in Greece in relation to the use of lead in petrol
Maria A Anagnostopoulou
Department of Chemistry, University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9PL, England, UK
Sci Total Environ 367:791-9. 2006
..The object of the present work is to determine levels of lead pollution in cities in Greece on 1997 and, if possible, to discover whether similar reductions in lead concentrations have occurred there also...
- Undertreatment of dyslipidaemia in Greece
V G Athyros
Atherosclerosis 177:215-6. 2004
- Sleep problems in adolescence. A study of senior high school students in Greece
Dept of Psychiatry, Athens University Medical School, 72 Vas Sofias, 11528 Athens, Greece
Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 14:237-43. 2005
The aim of this study was to evaluate sleep habits and sleep-related problems in high school adolescent students in Greece through the Athens Insomnia Scale and to assess the relation of these problems to demographic and other variables.
- Large-scale population genetic analysis for hemoglobinopathies reveals different mutation spectra in central Greece compared to the rest of the country
Department of Biology, School of Medicine, University of Thessaly, Larissa, Greece
Am J Hematol 82:634-6. 2007
..undertaken a large population screening study to identify the molecular basis of hemoglobinopathies in the central Greece region...
- Efficiency measurement of hemodialysis units in Greece with data envelopment analysis
Faculty of Social Sciences, Hellenic Open University, Riga Feraiou 169, Tsamadou, 26222 Patras, Greece
Health Policy 71:195-204. 2005
..on a study of the suitability of data envelopment analysis for measuring efficiency of hemodialysis units in Greece. The sample consists of 118 such units operating in the public and private sector...