- Sleep complaints and risk factors for excessive daytime sleepiness in adult males in Northern Ireland
A M Nugent
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Belfast City Hospital, Lisburn Road, Belfast BT9 7AB, N. Ireland
J Sleep Res 10:69-74. 2001
The prevalence of sleep complaints in Northern Ireland is unknown. Sleep disruption can result in excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS), with significant socioeconomic consequences...
- Access to stroke care in England, Wales and Northern Ireland: the effect of age, gender and weekend admission
A G Rudd
Clinical Effectiveness and Evaluation Unit, Royal College of Physicians, London, UK
Age Ageing 36:247-55. 2007
..To determine whether access to high-quality stroke care is affected by the age or gender of the patient or by weekend admission...
- Relationship between physical activity and bone mineral status in young adults: the Northern Ireland Young Hearts Project
C E Neville
School of Applied Medical Sciences and Sports Studies, University of Ulster, Jordanstown, Shore Road, Newtownabbey BT37 0QB, Northern Ireland, UK
Bone 30:792-8. 2002
..Intervention studies are warranted to determine whether peak bone density in women can be improved by participating, during childhood and adolescence, in sports activities involving high peak strain...
- A survey of awareness of radiation dose among health professionals in Northern Ireland
J A Soye
Department of Radiology, Royal Belfast Hospital for Sick Children, 180 Falls Road, Belfast BT126BE, Northern Ireland, UK
Br J Radiol 81:725-9. 2008
..assess this, a survey was conducted of the awareness of radiation dose and risk among health professionals in Northern Ireland. A questionnaire was circulated to 300 consultants and 200 junior doctors selected randomly from a range of ..
- Birth prevalence of cleft lip and palate in Northern Ireland (1981 to 2000)
T A Gregg
Royal Belfast Hospital for Sick Children, 180 Falls Road, Belfast, Ireland
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 45:141-7. 2008
The prevalence of cleft lip and/or palate (CL/P) in Northern Ireland (NI) was last reported for 1980 through 1990...
- Interleukin-18 and the risk of coronary heart disease in European men: the Prospective Epidemiological Study of Myocardial Infarction (PRIME)
INSERM U525, Faculté de Médecine Pitié Salpêtrière, Paris, France
Circulation 108:2453-9. 2003
..Interleukin (IL)-18 promotes atherosclerotic plaque growth and vulnerability. It is unknown, however, whether elevations of circulating IL-18 precede the onset of coronary events in apparently healthy individuals...
- Intergroup trust in Northern Ireland
University of Oxford, UK
Pers Soc Psychol Bull 35:45-59. 2009
..between trust and intergroup behavioral tendencies-and the potential for intergroup contact to build trust in Northern Ireland. Study 1 showed that outgroup trust mediates the impact of intergroup contact on behavioral tendencies toward ..
- Genotypes and subtypes of Cryptosporidium spp. in neonatal calves in Northern Ireland
Heather P Thompson
School of Biomedical Science, Faculty of Life and Health Sciences, University of Ulster, Coleraine, Northern Ireland, UK
Parasitol Res 100:619-24. 2007
Cryptosporidium spp. in diarrheic calves less than 30 days old from farms across Northern Ireland were examined over a year period by microscopic, genotyping, and subtyping techniques to characterize the transmission dynamics...
- Secular trends, disease maps and ecological analyses of the incidence of childhood onset Type 1 diabetes in Northern Ireland, 1989-2003
C R Cardwell
School of Medicine and Dentistry, The Queen s University of Belfast, Belfast, UK
Diabet Med 24:289-95. 2007
To investigate secular trends in the incidence of Type 1 diabetes in Northern Ireland over the period 1989-2003...
- Lack of association of the heparanase gene single-nucleotide polymorphism Arg307Lys with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia in patients from Northern Ireland
P C Winter
Leukemia 22:1629-31; discussion 1631-3. 2008
- Cutaneous melanoma mortality starting to change: a study of trends in Northern Ireland
International Agency for Research on Cancer, BEC BIO, 69372 Lyon Cedex 08, France
Eur J Cancer 45:2360-6. 2009
..We analysed the incidence and mortality of cutaneous melanoma (CM) in Northern Ireland. Three thousand eight hundred and thirty-seven incident cases of CM were reported to the Northern Ireland ..
- Physical activity patterns in 50-59 year men in France and Northern Ireland. Associations with socio-economic status and health behaviour
Laboratoire d épidémiologie et de santé publique, Faculte de Medecine, Hopitaux Universitaires, Strasbourg, France
Eur J Epidemiol 18:321-9. 2003
..This study aimed to compare physical activity patterns and their associations with socio-economic status (SES) and health behaviour in two countries at contrasting risk for coronary heart disease (CHD)...
- Bed occupancy and turnover interval as determinant factors in MRSA infections in acute settings in Northern Ireland: 1 April 2001 to 31 March 2003
J B Cunningham
Faculty of Life and Health Sciences, The University of Ulster at Jordanstown, Shore Road, Newtownabbey BT37 0QB, Co Antrim, Northern Ireland, UK
J Hosp Infect 61:189-93. 2005
The following data were obtained from annual hospital statistics in Northern Ireland and from the Communicable Diseases Surveillance Centre (CDSC) Northern Ireland for 2001-2002 and 2002-2003: bed turnover interval (TI), percentage bed ..
- Fruit and vegetable consumption and bone mineral density: the Northern Ireland Young Hearts Project
Claire P McGartland
Northern Ireland Center for Food and Health, University of Ulster, Coleraine, United Kingdom
Am J Clin Nutr 80:1019-23. 2004
..Studies examining the relation between bone mineral density (BMD) and fruit and vegetable consumption during adolescence are rare...
- Snacking patterns among adolescents: a comparison of type, frequency and portion size between Britain in 1997 and Northern Ireland in 2005
Maeve A Kerr
Northern Ireland Centre for Food and Health, University of Ulster, Coleraine BT52 1SA, UK
Br J Nutr 101:122-31. 2009
..These findings may provide scope for policy interventions to place particular emphasis on reducing typical portion sizes consumed of popular snack choices, in particular high-energy carbonated and soft drinks, among UK adolescents...
- Socio-economic position and coronary heart disease risk factors in youth. Findings from the Young Hearts Project in Northern Ireland
F J van Lenthe
Department of Public Health, Erasmus University Rotterdam, P.O. Box 1738, 3000 DR Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Public Health 11:43-50. 2001
..differentials in behavioural and biological risk factors for coronary heart disease in young people from Northern Ireland, taking into account differences in biological maturation...
- Post-traumatic stress disorder in the context of terrorism and other civil conflict in Northern Ireland: randomised controlled trial
University of Ulster at Magee, Londonderry, Northern Ireland BT48 7JL
BMJ 334:1147. 2007
To evaluate the effectiveness of cognitive therapy for post-traumatic stress disorder related to terrorism and other civil conflict in Northern Ireland.
- Vitamin D status and its determinants in adolescents from the Northern Ireland Young Hearts 2000 cohort
Tom R Hill
Department of Food and Nutritional Sciences, University College, Cork, Republic of Ireland, UK
Br J Nutr 99:1061-7. 2008
..and predictors of vitamin D inadequacy among a large representative sample of adolescents living in Northern Ireland (54-55 degrees N)...
- Research utilization and attitudes towards research among learning disability nurses in Northern Ireland
School of Health Sciences Nursing, University of Ulster, Northern Ireland
J Adv Nurs 31:607-13. 2000
Research utilization and attitudes towards research among learning disability nurses in Northern Ireland The current emphasis on evidence-based practice has focused attention once again on the research activities of health professionals ..
- Testing of bulk tank milk from Northern Ireland dairy herds for viral RNA and antibody to bovine viral diarrhoea virus
D A Graham
Department of Agriculture and Rural Development for Northern Ireland, Stormont, Belfast
Vet Rec 149:261-5. 2001
Bulk tank milk samples collected from 929 Northern Ireland dairy herds were classified according to their geographical location, somatic cell count and milk yield...
- Midwives' perceptions of the use of technology in assisting childbirth in Northern Ireland
School of Nursing and Midwifery, University of Ulster, Shore Road, Jordanstown BT37 0QU, Northern Ireland, UK
J Adv Nurs 36:229-36. 2001
- Outcome following proximal femoral fracture in Northern Ireland
T R O Beringer
Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast BT12 6BA
Ulster Med J 75:200-6. 2006
..To study the outcome following treatment for proximal femoral fracture in elderly people...
- Effects of direct and indirect cross-group friendships on judgments of Catholics and Protestants in Northern Ireland: the mediating role of an anxiety-reduction mechanism
School of Behavioural Sciences, University of Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Pers Soc Psychol Bull 30:770-86. 2004
..Two surveys of cross-community relationships in Northern Ireland, using a student sample (N = 341) and a representative sample of the general population (N = 735), tested ..
- A survey of diabetes care in general practice in Northern Ireland
C J Kenny
Dromore Doctors Surgery, Co Down
Ulster Med J 71:10-6. 2002
We aimed to describe some key features of diabetes care carried out in primary care settings in Northern Ireland using a descriptive postal questionnaire survey sent to every general practice in Northern Ireland...
- Individual-level and group-level mediators of contact effects in Northern Ireland: the moderating role of social identification
Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford, UK
Br J Soc Psychol 46:541-56. 2007
..quality of cross-community contact and intergroup attitudes (Study 1, N=166) and trust (Study 2, N=163) in Northern Ireland. The studies tested the hypothesis that the strength of group-identification moderates the importance of ..
- No association in frequency of KIR receptors in patients with rheumatoid arthritis from Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics Laboratory, City Hospital, Belfast, Northern Ireland
Tissue Antigens 69:577-82. 2007
..Patients and controls came from a relatively homogeneous Caucasian population from Northern Ireland, thus limiting population stratification...
- Frequency of occurrence of Campylobacter spp. in red meats and poultry in Northern Ireland and their subsequent subtyping using polymerase chain reaction-restriction fragment length polymorphism and the random amplified polymorphic DNA method
R H Madden
Food Science Department Food Microbiology, Department of Agriculture for Northern Ireland, Belfast, Northern Ireland UK
J Appl Microbiol 84:703-8. 1998
Sampling of lamb (n = 100) and beef (n = 100) carcasses in abattoirs in Northern Ireland produced no evidence of Campylobacter spp...
- Improvement in neonatal intensive care in Northern Ireland through sharing of audit data
Department of Child Health, Queen s University Belfast, Institute of Clinical Science, Belfast, UK
Qual Saf Health Care 14:202-6. 2005
..At the time of initiation of this project no system for collection and analysis of neonatal data existed in Northern Ireland.
- Zoonotic infections in Northern Ireland farmers
C F Stanford
Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast, Northern Ireland
Epidemiol Infect 105:565-70. 1990
Evidence of past zoonotic infection was investigated serologically in randomly selected Northern Ireland farmers. The percentage of farmers with antibody was: Brucella abortus (0.7), Leptospira interrogans serovars (8...
- Barriers to increasing fruit and vegetable intakes in the older population of Northern Ireland: low levels of liking and low awareness of current recommendations
Katherine M Appleton
School of Psychology, Queen s University Belfast, Belfast, UK
Public Health Nutr 13:514-21. 2010
To investigate barriers to increasing fruit and vegetable (f + v) intakes in a large sample of the older population of Northern Ireland (NI), in relation to current intakes.
- Clustering of biological risk factors for cardiovascular disease and the longitudinal relationship with lifestyle of an adolescent population: the Northern Ireland Young Hearts Project
J W Twisk
Institute for Research in Extramural Medicine, Medical Faculty, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Cardiovasc Risk 6:355-62. 1999
- Past it? HIV and older people in England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Health Protection Agency, Communicable Disease Surveillance Centre, London, UK
Epidemiol Infect 132:1151-60. 2004
..reach older age, and future increases in numbers of older individuals living with HIV in England, Wales and Northern Ireland (E,W&NI) are expected...
- Epidemiological study of E. coli O157:H7 isolated in Northern Ireland using pulsed-field gel electrophoresis (PFGE)
Northern Ireland Public Health Laboratory, Department of Bacteriology, Belfast City Hospital, Lisburn Road, Belfast, Northern Ireland
Ulster Med J 77:168-74. 2008
In Northern Ireland over the last 7 years, there is a mean of 41.9 laboratory reports per annum of human gastrointestinal infection (range 19-54) caused by Escherichia coli O157:H7. In the preceding years 1992-1996, reports were 5...
- Assessing job satisfaction and stress among pharmacists in Northern Ireland
School of Pharmacy, Queen s University Belfast, 97 Lisburn Road, Belfast BT9 7BL, UK
Pharm World Sci 31:188-94. 2009
The pharmacy profession in Northern Ireland (NI) is currently experiencing major changes in practice development...
- A comparison of three methods for the isolation of Arcobacter spp. from retail raw poultry in Northern Ireland
Food Science Department, Queen s University of Belfast, Newforge Lane, Belfast BT9 5PX, Northern Ireland
J Food Prot 67:799-804. 2004
..Retail poultry samples (n = 50) were obtained from supermarkets in Northern Ireland; the European Community license number was recorded to ensure sample diversity...
- Metabolic syndrome and coronary heart disease risk in a population-based study of middle-aged men from France and Northern Ireland. A nested case-control study from the PRIME cohort
INSERM U558, Department of Epidemiology, CHU Toulouse, France
Diabetes Metab 32:475-9. 2006
..Our results add further evidence that MetS is predictive of CHD risk in middle-aged men from Northern and Southern Europe, and highlight differences between the three definitions studied...
- Awareness, treatment and control of hyperlipidaemia in middle-aged men in France and northern ireland in 1991-1993: the PRIME study. Prospective epidemiological study of myocardial infarction
INSERM U558, Faculte de Medecine Purpan, Toulouse, France
Acta Cardiol 57:117-23. 2002
..To assess how well screening and preventive measures are implemented in the general population...
- The low prevalence of abdominal aortic aneurysm in relatives in Northern Ireland
S A Badger
Vascular and Endovascular Surgery Centre, Belfast City Hospital, Lisburn Road, Belfast, BT9 7AB, County Antrim, Northern Ireland
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 34:163-8. 2007
..Relatives of previous AAA patients have been suggested as one such group. The aim of this study was therefore to determine the prevalence of AAA in relatives of previous patients in Northern Ireland.
- "The walls were so damp and cold" fuel poverty and ill health in Northern Ireland: results from a housing intervention
The Institute of Geography, University of Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
Health Place 13:99-110. 2007
..the findings from an evaluation of a fuel poverty programme in the Armagh and Dungannon Health Action Zone in Northern Ireland. Focusing on a rural community, it adds to the debate surrounding the hidden nature of rural fuel poverty...
- The changing visual profile of children attending a regional specialist school for the visually impaired in Northern Ireland
Vision Science Research Group, School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Ulster, Coleraine, Co Londonderry BT52 1SA, UK
Ophthalmic Physiol Opt 27:556-60. 2007
..To investigate the changing profile of children attending a special school for visually impaired children over a 30-year period...
- Gastrinomas and the change in their presentation and management in Northern Ireland, UK, from 1970 to 1996
C J Larkin
Department of Medicine, Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast, N Ireland, UK
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 10:947-52. 1998
..The advent of proton pump inhibitors has ensured symptom control in those for whom total tumour removal is impossible. Owing to improved survival, metastatic complications are often associated with patient mortality...
- Trends in candidemia and antifungal susceptibility in a university hospital in Northern Ireland 2001-2006
Department of Medical Microbiology, The Royal Hospitals, School of Medicine and Dentistry, Belfast, Northern Ireland
J Infect 55:174-8. 2007
..To describe the species distribution and antifungal susceptibility trends for documented episodes of candidemia at the Royal Hospitals, Belfast, 2001-2006...
- Discrimination of isolates of Mycobacterium bovis in Northern Ireland on the basis of variable numbers of tandem repeats (VNTRs)
R A Skuce
Bacteriology Branch, Veterinary Sciences Division, Department of Agriculture and Rural Development for Northern Ireland, Stormont, Belfast BT4 3SD
Vet Rec 157:501-4. 2005
..of the established PCR-based spoligotyping technique by using a panel of 461 isolates of M bovis prevalent in Northern Ireland. The VNTR assay discriminated 40 different profiles, the most prevalent of which constituted 21 per cent of ..
- Evidence for the co-existence of separate strains or species of Ligula in Lough Neagh, Northern Ireland
P D Olson
Department of Zoology, The National History Museum, Cromwell Road, London, UK
J Helminthol 76:171-4. 2002
..the large subunit domains D1-D3 were sequenced and compared in parasites from these fish from Lough Neagh, Northern Ireland, together with a single specimen from minnow (Phoxinus phoxinus) from Wales...
- Skin cancer trends in Northern Ireland and consequences for provision of dermatology services
S E H Hoey
Department of Dermatology, Royal Group of Hospitals, Belfast, UK
Br J Dermatol 156:1301-7. 2007
..The incidence of skin cancer, both melanoma and nonmelanoma skin cancer (NMSC), is rising throughout the world. The evaluation of trends in skin cancer will allow better planning of the future development of skin cancer services...
- Smoking and peer groups: results from a longitudinal qualitative study of young people in Northern Ireland
Barbara J Stewart-Knox
Northern Ireland Centre for Food and Health NICHE, University of Ulster, UK
Br J Soc Psychol 44:397-414. 2005
..adolescent children aged 11-12 years (N = 102) within youth clubs based in economically deprived areas of Northern Ireland, and then followed up on two occasions during the subsequent 3 years (N = 51/39)...
- An evaluation of an adapted U.S. model of pharmaceutical care to improve psychoactive prescribing for nursing home residents in northern ireland (fleetwood northern ireland study)
Susan M Patterson
Clinical and Practice Research Group, School of Pharmacy, Queen s University Belfast, Belfast, United Kingdom
J Am Geriatr Soc 58:44-53. 2010
To test the effect of an adapted U.S. model of pharmaceutical care on prescribing of inappropriate psychoactive (anxiolytic, hypnotic, and antipsychotic) medications and falls in nursing homes for older people in Northern Ireland (NI).
- Risk associated with animals moved from herds infected with brucellosis in Northern Ireland
L A Stringer
Veterinary Epidemiology Unit, Department of Agriculture and Rural Development Northern Ireland, Dundonald House, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Prev Vet Med 84:72-84. 2008
..in order to assess the control measures for eradication of brucellosis from the cattle population of Northern Ireland. Using recorded cattle movement data, a historical cohort study was designed and carried out to quantify the ..
- Incidence of Mycobacterium paratuberculosis in raw sheep and goats' milk in England, Wales and Northern Ireland
I R Grant
Department of Food Science Microbiology, The Queen s University of Belfast, Newforge Lane, Belfast BT9 5PX, UK
Vet Microbiol 79:123-31. 2001
..raw sheep and goats' milk samples (90 goat, 14 sheeps) from bulk tanks on farms throughout England, Wales and Northern Ireland was carried out over a 5-month period (January-May 1998) in order to determine the incidence of Mycobacterium ..
- Epidemiology of bovine brucellosis in Northern Ireland between 1990 and 2000
D A Abernethy
Veterinary Service, Department of Agriculture and Rural Development, Dundonald House, Upper Newtownards Road, Belfast BT4 3SB
Vet Rec 158:717-21. 2006
Between 1990 and 2000, 317 herds of cattle in Northern Ireland were identified as being seropositive to Brucella abortus, and 68 per cent of them were attributed to transmission from neighbouring herds or to local spread...
- Battle on the home care front: perceptions of home care workers of factors influencing staff retention in Northern Ireland
Causeway Health and Social Services Trust, Ballymoney, Country Antrim, Northern Ireland
Health Soc Care Community 15:67-76. 2007
..The present study was based in a health and social services trust in Northern Ireland, and was designed to explore the growing problem of retention of HCWs from their own perspective...
- Trends in blood pressure over 10 years in adolescents: analyses of cross sectional surveys in the Northern Ireland Young Hearts project
Department of Child Health, Queens University of Belfast, Institute of Clinical Science, Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast BT12 6JB
BMJ 329:139. 2004
To examine secular trends in blood pressure over a 10 year period between two representative cohorts of adolescents from Northern Ireland.
- Prevalence of legionella waterline contamination and Legionella pneumophila antibodies in general dental practitioners in London and rural Northern Ireland
C L Pankhurst
Division of Oral Medicine, Guy s, King s St Thomas Dental Institute, Guy s Campus, London SE 9RT
Br Dent J 195:591-4; discussion 581. 2003
..prevalence of legionellae in dental unit waterlines (DUWL) in general dental practices in London and rural Northern Ireland and whether the organism occurs at a high enough frequency and magnitude in DUWL to represent a threat to ..
- Religious affiliation and mortality in Northern Ireland: beyond Catholic and Protestant
Epidemiology and Public Health, Queen s University, Mulhouse Building, Belfast, UK
Soc Sci Med 66:1637-45. 2008
There has been little recent research in Europe exploring the relationship between religion and health. In Northern Ireland previous analysis has tended to divide the population dichotomously as Catholic and Protestant, ignoring the ..
- Prevalence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus colonization in residents and staff in nursing homes in Northern Ireland
Naomi S Baldwin
Clinical and Practice Research Group, School of Pharmacy, Queen s University Belfast, Belfast, UK
J Am Geriatr Soc 57:620-6. 2009
..the prevalence of, and factors associated with, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) colonization in residents and staff in nursing homes in one geographically defined health administration area of Northern Ireland.
- A comparative study of elderly suicides in England and Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland: trends over time and age-associated trends
Ageing, Ethnicity and Mental Health, International School for Communities, Rights and Inclusion, University of Central Lancashire, Preston, UK
Int Psychogeriatr 21:581-7. 2009
..The elderly population size in the U.K. and its constituent countries is increasing. Traditionally, suicide rates increase with aging...
- Moderately elevated plasma homocysteine, methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase genotype, and risk for stroke, vascular dementia, and Alzheimer disease in Northern Ireland
Stephen P McIlroy
Department of Geriatric Medicine, Queen s University Belfast, Belfast, Northern Ireland
Stroke 33:2351-6. 2002
..Variation in the levels of this amino acid has been shown to be due to nutritional status and methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) genotype...
- Physical activity and coronary event incidence in Northern Ireland and France: the Prospective Epidemiological Study of Myocardial Infarction (PRIME)
Laboratoire d épidémiologie et de santé publique, Strasbourg, France
Circulation 105:2247-52. 2002
..of angina pectoris and hard coronary events (myocardial infarction and coronary deaths) was examined in Northern Ireland and France at contrasting risk for coronary heart disease (CHD) and with different physical activity patterns.
- Frequent cannabis use among 14/15 years old in Northern Ireland
Institute of Child Care Research, School of Sociology Social Policy and Social Work, Queens University Belfast, Belfast BT9 5BY, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Drug Alcohol Depend 88:19-27. 2007
..Amongst a survey of 3919 young people at school year 11 in Northern Ireland (aged 14/15 years) 142 reported daily cannabis use...
- Pestiviral infections in sheep and pigs in Northern Ireland
D A Graham
Veterinary Sciences Division, Department of Agriculture and Rural Development for Northern Ireland, Stoney Road, Stormont, Belfast BT4 3SD
Vet Rec 148:69-72. 2001
Serological surveys were carried out to determine the prevalence of pestiviral infections in sheep and pigs in Northern Ireland. Sera from 918 ewes in 92 flocks from 10 regions were tested by ELISA for antibodies to border disease virus ..
- A Census-based longitudinal study of variations in survival amongst residents of nursing and residential homes in Northern Ireland
Queen s University Belfast, Centre for Public Health, Mulhouse, Royal Hospitals Site, Grosvenor Road, Belfast, BT12 6BJ, UK
Age Ageing 38:711-7. 2009
..despite the intensive services provided to residents of care homes, information on death rates is not routinely available for this population in the UK...
- Carbonated soft drink consumption and bone mineral density in adolescence: the Northern Ireland Young Hearts project
Northern Ireland Centre for Diet and Health, University of Ulster, Coleraine, Northern Ireland
J Bone Miner Res 18:1563-9. 2003
..Owing to the upward trend in CSD intake in adolescence, this finding may be of concern...
- The winged chariot and the iron cages
Norman P S Campbell
Royal Group of Hospitals Trust, Grosvenor Road, Belfast, BT12 6BA
Ulster Med J 75:178-84. 2006
- Frequency of fruit and vegetable consumption and coronary heart disease in France and Northern Ireland: the PRIME study
Monica Lille, INSERM U 508, Institut Pasteur de Lille, 1 rue du Prof Calmette, 59019 Lille, France
Br J Nutr 92:963-72. 2004
..intake and CHD risk in two European populations with contrasting cardiovascular incidence rates; France and Northern Ireland. The present prospective study was in men aged 50-59 years, free of CHD, who were recruited in France (n 5982)..
- Patient cost-benefits of realtime teledermatology--a comparison of data from Northern Ireland and New Zealand
A M Oakley
Department of Dermatology, Waikato Hospital, Hamilton, New Zealand
J Telemed Telecare 6:97-101. 2000
..3 h for those seen at the hospital. The results of the present study, as in a similar study conducted in Northern Ireland, show that the economic benefits of teledermatology favour the patient rather than the health-care system.
- Prevalence of over-the-counter drug-related overdoses at Accident and Emergency departments in Northern Ireland--a retrospective evaluation
Clinical and Practice Research Group, The School of Pharmacy, The Queen s University of Belfast, Belfast, UK
J Clin Pharm Ther 30:39-44. 2005
- Commercialisation of regenerative human tissue: regulation and reform in Australia and England, Wales and Northern Ireland
J Law Med 14:339-59. 2007
..tissue is regulated by the common law, statute and ethical guidelines in Australia and England, Wales and Northern Ireland. This article examines the regulatory regimes in these jurisdictions and considers whether reform is required ..
- Lung cancer survival in Northern Ireland
A T Gavin
N Ireland Cancer Registry, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Queen s University, Belfast
Ir Med J 96:237-40. 2003
Lung cancer causes more deaths than any other cancer in Northern Ireland. Survival, and factors which could influence survival, were examined for the 4,458 patients diagnosed with lung cancer from 1992 to 1996...
- The impact of the internet on the practice of general practitioners and community pharmacists in Northern Ireland
School of Pharmacy, Queen s University Belfast, Belfast, UK
Inform Prim Care 15:231-7. 2007
..an insight into the use of the internet for practice-related purposes by community pharmacists and general practitioners (GPs) in Northern Ireland, and to gather information about their experiences relating to patients and the internet.
- Occurrence of Mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosis in untreated water in Northern Ireland
Department of Food Microbiology, Queen s University of Belfast, Belfast BT9 5PX, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Appl Environ Microbiol 71:7107-12. 2005
..A limited survey was undertaken in Northern Ireland to test for M. avium subsp...
- Irish-1 and Irish-2: UK epidemic meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strains associated with Northern Ireland
H M Aucken
Laboratory of HealthCare Associated Infection, Specialist and Reference Microbiology Division, Health Protection Agency, London, UK
J Hosp Infect 63:170-8. 2006
..isolates with one of two characteristic phage patterns have been referred to the authors' laboratory from Northern Ireland. These strains were designated 'Irish-1' and 'Irish-2'...
- Potentially malignant oral lesions in northern Ireland: a 20-year population-based perspective of malignant transformation
C G Cowan
School of Dentistry, Queen's University Belfast, Royal Group of Hospitals, Grosvenor Road, Belfast BT12 6BP, Northern Ireland
Oral Dis 7:18-24. 2001
..More effective management strategies will require the development of tissue markers to enhance early detection...
- Tracking of nutrient intakes in adolescence: the experiences of the Young Hearts Project, Northern Ireland
P J Robson
Northern Ireland Centre for Diet and Health NICHE, University of Ulster, UK
Br J Nutr 84:541-8. 2000
..09) in the girls' diets. In conclusion, the poor to fair tracking observed in this cohort suggests that individual dietary patterns exhibited at 12 years of age are unlikely to be predictive of energy and nutrient intake at age 15 years...
- Acute gastroenteritis in northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland: a telephone survey
Food Safety Authority of Ireland, Dublin, Ireland
Commun Dis Public Health 7:61-7. 2004
..A study of acute gastroenteritis in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland surveyed 9,903 people by telephone over the 12-month period from December 2000 to ..
- Substance abuse in pregnancy: opioid substitution in a northern Ireland maternity unit
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Antrim Area Hospital, 45 Bush Road, Antrim BT41 2RL, United Kingdom
Ulster Med J 75:187-91. 2006
An increase in illicit drug use in Northern Ireland may well have links to the resolution of political conflict, which started in the mid 1990s...
- Effectiveness of the school dental screening programme in stimulating dental attendance for children in need of treatment in Northern Ireland
Division of Paediatric, Preventive and Public Health Dentistry, School of Dentistry, Belfast, Northern Ireland
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 29:143-9. 2001
..05). CONCLUSION: School dental screening was capable of stimulating dental attendance. The strong effect among the lowest socio-economic group shows that school dental screening may be used to decrease dental health inequalities...
- The use of assessment scales in Old Age Psychiatry Services in England and Northern Ireland
School of Psychiatry and Behavioural Sciences, University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PL, UK
Aging Ment Health 8:249-55. 2004
..of the range and prevalence of standardized scales used within Old Age Psychiatry Services in England and Northern Ireland, reported by 73% of old age psychiatrists...
- Mortality estimates in the elderly burn patients: the Northern Ireland experience
M F Khadim
Northern Ireland Plastic and Maxillofacial Service, Ulster Hospital, Dundonald, 17 Gortin Park, Off Kings Road, Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Burns 35:107-13. 2009
..f.=1, p<0.005). In conclusion, our experience has shown better survival in the elderly than was expected. This we mainly attribute to an aggressive therapy approach including admission to the intensive care unit and early surgery...
- Early experience with chronic hepatitis C in Northern Ireland: epidemiology and response to monotherapy
N I McDougall
The Liver Unit, Royal Victoria Hospital, 1st Floor, East Wing, Grosvenor Road, Belfast
Ulster Med J 73:25-31. 2004
..The epidemiology of HCV and its response to treatment in Northern Ireland has not been described before...
- Physiotherapy management of low back pain: a survey of current practice in northern Ireland
Jacqueline H Gracey
School of Rehabilitation Sciences, University of Ulster at Jordanstown, Northern Ireland
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 27:406-11. 2002
..A questionnaire survey of physiotherapists treating low back pain...
- Retrospective analysis of serum and nasal mucus from cattle in Northern Ireland for evidence of infection with influenza A virus
D A Graham
Department of Agriculture and Rural Development for Northern Ireland, Stormont, Belfast
Vet Rec 150:201-4. 2002
..Attempts to isolate influenza A virus from nasal mucus or swab samples from 142 cattle from 46 cases of respiratory disease and/or milk drop syndrome by passage in embryonated specific pathogen-free eggs were unsuccessful...
- Research and development in a Northern Ireland trust
Trinity College, School of Nursing and Midwifery Studies, University of Dublin, Ireland
Nurs Stand 16:33-7. 2002
A cross-sectional survey was carried out with the aim of ascertaining the perceived research and development (R&D) capacity of an integrated trust in Northern Ireland.
- The CTLA4+49A/G and CT60 polymorphisms and chronic inflammatory arthropathies in Northern Ireland
Applied Genomics Research Group, School of Pharmacy, McClay Research Centre, The Queen s University of Belfast, Belfast BT9 7BL, Northern Ireland, UK
Exp Mol Pathol 80:141-6. 2006
..00001 and 0.030 for comparison of RA and JIA patients with controls, respectively). Our results suggest that the CTLA-4 gene is involved in predisposition to inflammatory arthropathies in the Northern Irish population...
- Feeding preferences and attitudes to breastfeeding and its promotion among teenagers in Northern Ireland
University of Ulster
J Hum Lact 19:57-65. 2003
b>Northern Ireland has one of the lowest breastfeeding initiation rates in the world...
- Isolation and antimicrobial sensitivities of Kluyvera spp. from humans in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, 2005-2006
Int J Antimicrob Agents 30:371-2. 2007
- 'Doctor--when can I drive?'--Advice obstetricians and gynaecologists give on driving after obstetric or gynaecological surgery
Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Queen Elizabeth II Hospital, Welwyn Garden City AL7 4HQ
Ulster Med J 76:141-3. 2007
..We then carried out a questionnaire survey of 99 gynaecologists in Northern Ireland. We have identified wide variation in clinical practice, and advocate a United Kingdom wide survey and ..
- Five-year incidence of angina pectoris and other forms of coronary heart disease in healthy men aged 50-59 in France and Northern Ireland: the Prospective Epidemiological Study of Myocardial Infarction (PRIME) Study
INSERM U258, Hopital Paul Brousse, Villejuif, France
Int J Epidemiol 30:1057-62. 2001
- Prevalence of psychiatric disorder and the need for psychiatric care in Northern Ireland. Population study in the District of Derry
Ross Thomson Unit, Causeway Hospital, 4 Newbridge Road, Coleraine BT52 1HS, Northern Ireland
Br J Psychiatry 181:214-9. 2002
This is the first report on the epidemiology of psychiatric disorders and needs for psychiatric treatment in the District of Derry, Northern Ireland.
- Patient satisfaction with realtime teledermatology in Northern Ireland
M A Loane
Institute of Telemedicine and Telecare, Queen s University, Belfast, UK
J Telemed Telecare 4:36-40. 1998
Teledermatology consultations were organized between two health centers and two hospitals in Northern Ireland using low-cost videoconferencing equipment. A prospective study of patient satisfaction was carried out...
- Fertility of dairy cows in Northern Ireland
C S Mayne
Agricultural Research Institute of Northern Ireland, Hillsborough, County Down
Vet Rec 150:707-13. 2002
..was established on the milk production and reproductive performance of dairy cows in 19 selected herds in Northern Ireland, varying in size, management system and genetic merit...
- Mutations in keratin K9 in kindreds with epidermolytic palmoplantar keratoderma and epidemiology in Northern Ireland
S P Covello
Epithelial Genetics Group, Department of Dermatology and Cutaneous Biology, Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
J Invest Dermatol 111:1207-9. 1998
..The point prevalence of EPPK in Northern Ireland was found to be 4.4 per 100,000...
- Isolation and characterisation of circoviruses from pigs with wasting syndromes in Spain, Denmark and Northern Ireland
G M Allan
Veterinary Sciences Division, Department of Agriculture for Northern Ireland, Stormont, Belfast, UK
Vet Microbiol 66:115-23. 1999
..These PCV isolates were found to be antigenically and genomically similar to previously reported isolates of PCV from pigs with wasting disease (PCV2), but distinct from the isolate of PCV from continuous PK/15 cell cultures (PCV1)...
- The epidemiology of severe sepsis in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, 1996 to 2004: secondary analysis of a high quality clinical database, the ICNARC Case Mix Programme Database
David A Harrison
Intensive Care National Audit and Research Centre ICNARC, Tavistock House, Tavistock Square, London WC1H 9HR, UK
Crit Care 10:R42. 2006
..We interrogated a high quality clinical database to examine trends in the incidence and mortality of severe sepsis over a nine-year period...
- Community-living nonagenarians in northern ireland have lower plasma homocysteine but similar methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase thermolabile genotype prevalence compared to 70-89-year-old subjects
I M Rea
Cardiovascular Research Centre, The Queen s University of Belfast, Belfast, UK
Atherosclerosis 149:207-14. 2000
- Selective migration from deprived areas in Northern Ireland and the spatial distribution of inequalities: implications for monitoring health and inequalities in health
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, The Queen s University of Belfast, Belfast, BT12 6BJ Northern Ireland, UK
Soc Sci Med 57:1455-62. 2003
..This paper examines the population movement between small areas in Northern Ireland in the year prior to the 1991 census as well as the geographical distribution of migrants to Northern Ireland ..
- The epidemiology of peritonsillar abscess disease in Northern Ireland
Brendan C Hanna
Department of ENT, Antrim Area Hospital, 45 Bush Road, Antrim, UK
J Infect 52:247-53. 2006
1. To describe the epidemiology of peritonsillar abscess disease in Northern Ireland. 2. To describe the impact of the nature of microbiological sampling on culture results.
- The Human Tissue Act (2004), anatomical examination and the importance of body donation in Northern Ireland
Samantha J Taylor
Division of Basic Medical Sciences Anatomy, School of Medicine and Dentistry, The Queen s University of Belfast, Whitla Medical Building, 97 Lisburn Road, Belfast BT9 7BL, United Kingdom
Ulster Med J 76:124-6. 2007
- Parenteral penicillin for children with meningococcal disease before hospital admission: case-control study
Department of Primary Health Care, Institute of Health Sciences, University of Oxford, Oxford OX3 7LF Abstract
BMJ 332:1295-8. 2006
..To explore the impact on mortality and morbidity of parenteral penicillin given to children before admission to hospital with suspected meningococcal disease...
- Quality assurance and UK nurse education
School of Health and Community Care, Leeds Metropolitan University
Nurs Stand 20:41-7. 2006
..To evaluate the quality assurance model for nursing education in the United Kingdom (UK) for the first nine months after the inception in 2002 of the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC)...
- Investigating variations in infant mortality in England and Wales by mother's country of birth, 1983-2001
Aleks Collingwood Bakeo
Office for National Statistics, London, UK
Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 20:127-39. 2006
..The leading cause of infant death among babies of mothers born in Pakistan and Bangladesh was congenital anomalies...
- 'Here There Be Monsters': the public's perception of paedophiles with particular reference to Belfast and Leicester
Department of Psychology, Astley Clarke Building, University of Leicester LE1 7RH
Med Sci Law 44:327-42. 2004
This research study sought to investigate the public perception of paedophiles. It was undertaken in Belfast (Northern Ireland) and Leicester (England) in an attempt to determine whether or not regional variations existed in relation to ..