- A cohort study of thyroid cancer and other thyroid diseases after the Chornobyl accident: dose-response analysis of thyroid follicular adenomas detected during first screening in Ukraine (1998-2000)
Lydia B Zablotska
Department of Epidemiology, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Am J Epidemiol 167:305-12. 2008
..measurements taken within 2 months after the accident, and resided in the three heavily contaminated areas in Ukraine. This analysis is based on the 23 cases diagnosed in 12,504 subjects for whom personal history of thyroid ..
- Body mass index and the risk of total and cardiovascular mortality among patients with type 2 diabetes: a large prospective study in Ukraine
Diabetes Mellitus Epidemiology Laboratory, V P Komisarenko Institute of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Kiev, Ukraine
Heart 95:454-60. 2009
..Several prospective studies have evaluated the association between body mass index (BMI) and cardiovascular mortality among patients with type 2 diabetes; however, the results are controversial...
- The Ukrainian-American study of leukemia and related disorders among Chornobyl cleanup workers from Ukraine: I. Study methods
Research Center for Radiation Medicine, Kyiv, Ukraine
Radiat Res 170:691-7. 2008
..To investigate this further, we assembled a cohort of 110,645 male cleanup workers from Ukraine and identified cases of leukemia occurring during the period 1986 to 2000...
- Epidemiology of smoking in Ukraine, 2000
A B Gilmore
European Centre on Health of Societies in Transition, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London, WC1E 7HT, United Kingdom
Prev Med 33:453-61. 2001
..smoking prevalence and its determinants is needed to inform the development of an effective tobacco control policy in Ukraine, particularly given the way in which the tobacco industry has targeted post-Soviet countries since transition.
- Drug-resistant tuberculosis and HIV in Ukraine: a threatening convergence of two epidemics?
Project Office, World Health Organization, Donetsk, Ukraine
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 12:756-62. 2008
To investigate anti-tuberculosis (TB) drug resistance rates in Donetsk Oblast, Ukraine, and to explore the association between the epidemics of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and multidrug-resistant TB (MDR-TB).
- Elevated minisatellite mutation rate in the post-chernobyl families from ukraine
Yuri E Dubrova
Department of Genetics, University of Leicester, United Kingdom
Am J Hum Genet 71:801-9. 2002
..human minisatellite loci has been studied among families from rural areas of the Kiev and Zhitomir regions of Ukraine, which were heavily contaminated by radionuclides after the Chernobyl accident...
- The cost-effectiveness of expanding harm reduction activities for injecting drug users in Odessa, Ukraine
HIVTools Research Group, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London, United Kingdom
Sex Transm Dis 33:S89-102. 2006
..to estimate the cost-effectiveness of a harm reduction intervention among injecting drug users (IDUs) in Odessa, Ukraine; and to explore how the cost-effectiveness changes if the intervention were scaled up to 60% as recommended by ..
- Possible distinct molecular carcinogenic pathways for bladder cancer in Ukraine, before and after the Chernobyl disaster
Department of Pathology, Osaka City University Medical School, Osaka, Japan
Oncol Rep 11:881-6. 2004
After the Chernobyl accident in 1986, the incidence of urinary bladder cancers in the Ukraine increased gradually from 26.2 to 43.3 per 100,000 people between 1986 and 2001...
- HIV treatment access and scale-up for delivery of opiate substitution therapy with buprenorphine for IDUs in Ukraine--programme description and policy implications
R Douglas Bruce
Yale University AIDS Program, New Haven, CT 06510 2283, United States
Int J Drug Policy 18:326-8. 2007
Injection drug use (IDU) accounts for 70 percent of HIV cases in Ukraine. Until buprenorphine maintenance therapy (BMT) was introduced, few effective strategies aimed at achieving reduction in illicit drug use were available as a conduit ..
- The Ukrainian-American study of leukemia and related disorders among Chornobyl cleanup workers from Ukraine: III. Radiation risks
Anatoly Ye Romanenko
Research Center for Radiation Medicine, Kyiv, Ukraine
Radiat Res 170:711-20. 2008
..After the Chornobyl (Chernobyl) accident in Ukraine in April 1986, several hundred thousand workers who were involved in cleaning up the site and its surroundings ..
- Predictors of self-reported HIV infection among drug injectors in Ukraine
Robert E Booth
Department of Psychiatry, University of Colorado School of Medicine, 1741 Vine Street, Denver, CO 80206, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 35:82-8. 2004
To identify characteristics, including current high-risk drug and sex behaviors, associated with self-reported HIV infection among injection drug users (IDUs) in Ukraine.
- Anthropometric, environmental, and dietary predictors of elevated blood cadmium levels in Ukrainian children: Ukraine ELSPAC group
Lee S Friedman
Division of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences, School of Public Health, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL, 60612, USA
Environ Res 102:83-9. 2006
..Whole-blood cadmium levels observed in this group of Ukrainian children appear to be similar to those reported in other Eastern European countries...
- Non-cancer effects in acute radiation syndrome survivors in Ukraine
Research Center for Radiation Medicine, Kiev, Ukraine
Health Phys 98:876-84. 2010
..This descriptive study summarizes more than 20 y of follow-up, makes attempts to offer a prognosis for the Chernobyl ARS survivors' health, and explores the link between the outcomes of interest and radiation exposure...
- High HIV risk profile among female commercial sex workers in Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Sex Transm Infect 81:187-8. 2005
- Thyroid cancer among Ukrainians and Belarusians who were children or adolescents at the time of the Chernobyl accident
GSF Institute of Radiation Protection, Neuherberg, Germany
J Radiol Prot 26:51-67. 2006
..contributing to thyroid cancer incidence among those exposed in childhood or during adolescence in Belarus and Ukraine after the Chernobyl accident...
- The Ukrainian-American study of leukemia and related disorders among Chornobyl cleanup workers from Ukraine: II. Estimation of bone marrow doses
Vadim V Chumak
Research Center for Radiation Medicine, Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine, Kyiv, Ukraine
Radiat Res 170:698-710. 2008
..These results should be treated as preliminary; it is likely that the dose calculations and particularly the uncertainty estimates will be improved in the follow-up of this effort...
- Important factors governing exposure of the population and countermeasure application in rural settlements of the Russian Federation in the long-term after the Chernobyl accident
Russian Institute of Agricultural Radiology and Agroecology, Kievskoe Shosse, 249020 Obninsk, Kaluga Region, Russia
J Environ Radioact 56:77-98. 2001
- [The Médicins sans Frontières HIV/AIDS programme in Ukraine]
G E L van den Berk
Onze Lieve Vrouwe Gasthuis, afd Interne Geneeskunde, Amsterdam
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 151:2685-9. 2007
In 1999, Médicins sans Frontières started an HIV/AIDS programme in Ukraine, a country with an estimated 410,000 people with HIV (1.4% prevalence), including 53,000 in urgent need of antiretroviral therapy...
- Epidemiology of psychiatric and alcohol disorders in Ukraine: findings from the Ukraine World Mental Health survey
Evelyn J Bromet
Department of Psychiatry, State University or New York Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY 11794 8790, USA
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 40:681-90. 2005
..presents the lifetime, 12-month, and 1-month prevalence estimates of nine psychiatric and alcohol disorders in Ukraine assessed as part of the World Health Organization (WHO) World Mental Health (WMH) research program...
- Epidemiology of heavy alcohol use in Ukraine: findings from the world mental health survey
Charles P M Webb
Department of Psychiatry, State University of New York at Stony Brook, NY 11794 8790, USA
Alcohol Alcohol 40:327-35. 2005
To describe the epidemiology of heavy alcohol use in Ukraine, using data from the world mental health (WMH) survey in Ukraine.
- Radiation-induced leukemia risk among those aged 0-20 at the time of the Chernobyl accident: a case-control study in the Ukraine
Andriy G Noshchenko
Department of Environmental Sciences, National University Kiev Mohyla Academy, Kiev, Ukraine
Int J Cancer 99:609-18. 2002
..aged 0-20 at the time of the Chernobyl accident in the most radioactively contaminated territories of the Ukraine (Rivno and Zhytomir regions)...
- Interventions with injection drug users in Ukraine
Robert E Booth
Division of Substance Dependence, Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of Colorado Denver, Denver, USA
Addiction 104:1864-73. 2009
..To assess the effectiveness of a brief human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) testing and counseling intervention compared to a more time-consuming and expensive street-based intervention with injection drug users (IDUs)...
- Suicide ideation, plans and attempts in Ukraine: findings from the Ukraine World Mental Health Survey
Evelyn J Bromet
Department of Psychiatry, State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY 11794 8790, USA
Psychol Med 37:807-19. 2007
..Using data from the Ukraine site of the World Mental Health (WMH) Survey Initiative, we present the first population-based findings from a ..
- Successful model of suicide prevention in the Ukraine military environment
Vsevolod A Rozanov
Human Ecological Health, Odessa, Ukraine
Crisis 23:171-7. 2002
The article deals with the problem of suicidal behavior in the Ukraine military environment and gives an example of the successful prevention approach...
- Evaluation of a school-based HIV/AIDS educational intervention in Ukraine
Department of Infectious Diseases and Epidemiology, Vinnitsa National Pirogov Memorial Medical University, Vinnitsa, Ukraine
J Adolesc Health 39:900-7. 2006
..people living with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), self-efficacy and behavioral intentions of senior secondary school students after an HIV/AIDS (acquired immune deficiency syndrome) educational intervention in Vinnitsa, Ukraine.
- Feasibility of buprenorphine maintenance therapy programs in the Ukraine: first promising treatment outcomes
Research Institute for Public Health and Addiction, Zurich, Switzerland
Eur Addict Res 15:157-62. 2009
Opiate substitution therapy (OST) in the Ukraine was not provided until 2004. As part of the introduction of OST, the first feasibility study was conducted in 2007...
- Improving quality of prevention of mother-to-child HIV transmission services in Ukraine: a focus on provider communication skills and linkages to community-based non-governmental organizations
PATH, Ukraine Office, Kyiv, Ukraine
Cent Eur J Public Health 17:20-4. 2009
b>Ukraine has the highest rate of HIV infection in Europe, with an estimated adult prevalence of 1.6 percent...
- NA cohort study of thyroid cancer and other thyroid diseases after the Chernobyl accident: cytohistopathologic correlation and accuracy of fine-needle aspiration biopsy in nodules detected during the first screening in Ukraine (1998-2000)
Institute of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Kiev, Ukraine
Cancer 117:73-81. 2009
..However, the accuracy of FNA cytology for detecting histopathologically confirmed malignancy after this level of internal exposure to radioiodines is unknown...
- Plutonium and other alpha emitters in mushrooms from Poland, Spain and Ukraine
J W Mietelsk
Environmental Radioactivity Laboratory, The Henry Niewodniczański Institute of Nuclear Physics, Krakow, Poland
Appl Radiat Isot 56:717-29. 2002
..Pu, U and Th isotope activity concentration measurements in some mushroom samples collected in Poland, Spain and Ukraine. The sampling sites differ a lot with regard to observed levels of Pu, its origin and isotope ratios as well as ..
- Refractive and visual outcome of paediatric cataract surgery in the Ukraine
St Erik s Eye Hospital, Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Ophthalmol Scand 84:674-8. 2006
To describe the refractive and visual outcomes after surgery for congenital or developmental cataract in the Ukraine.
- Heterogeneity in the distribution of RET/PTC rearrangements within individual post-Chernobyl papillary thyroid carcinomas
GSF Forschungszentrum für Umwelt und Gesundheit GmbH, Institute of Molecular Radiobiology, Ingolstadter Landstrasse 1, D 85764 Neuherberg, Germany
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:4272-9. 2004
- The HIV/AIDS epidemic in Ukraine: its potential social and economic impact
School of Development Studies, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK
Soc Sci Med 51:1387-403. 2000
..There is a strong possibility that Ukraine is confronted by an HIV epidemic which will spread into the general population and that the most common mode of ..
- Childhood leukaemia in Belarus, Russia, and Ukraine following the Chernobyl power station accident: results from an international collaborative population-based case-control study
Division of Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
Int J Epidemiol 35:386-96. 2006
..There is little evidence regarding the risk of leukaemia in children following exposure to radionuclides from the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant explosion on April 26, 1986...
- Fitness loss and germline mutations in barn swallows breeding in Chernobyl
Department of Animal Breeding and Genetics, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala
Nature 389:593-6. 1997
..rate was obtained from segregation analysis at two hypervariable microsatellite loci, indicating that mutation events in barn swallows from Chernobyl were two- to tenfold higher than in birds from control areas in Ukraine and Italy.
- A cohort study of thyroid cancer and other thyroid diseases after the chornobyl accident: thyroid cancer in Ukraine detected during first screening
Mykola D Tronko
Institute of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Kyiv, Ukraine
J Natl Cancer Inst 98:897-903. 2006
..cancer among those exposed as children and adolescents, particularly in Belarus, the Russian Federation, and Ukraine. Here we report the results of the first cohort study of thyroid cancer among those exposed as children and ..
- HIV/AIDS epidemic in Eastern Europe: recent developments in the Russian Federation and Ukraine among women
IMS Health Outcomes and Research, Munich, Germany
Gend Med 6:277-89. 2009
The Russian Federation and the Ukraine are among the Eastern European countries with the fastest growing number of cases of HIV...
- Molecular epidemiology and prevalence of mutations conferring rifampicin and isoniazid resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains from the southern Ukraine
V V Nikolayevskyy
HPA Mycobacterium Reference Unit, Institute of Cell and Molecular Sciences, Clinical TB and HIV Group, Queen Mary s School of Medicine and Dentistry, London, UK
Clin Microbiol Infect 13:129-38. 2007
..epidemiological data from 589 patients with radiologically confirmed TB in the Odessa and Nikolaev regions of the Ukraine in 2003-2004...
- Nationwide measles epidemic in Ukraine: the effect of low vaccine effectiveness
European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, Solna, Sweden
Vaccine 26:6980-5. 2008
..Between September 2005 and mid-June 2006, more than 50,000 measles cases were reported in Ukraine; many reportedly had received two doses of measles vaccine and over 60% were among persons 15-29 years old...
- A distribution of two SNPs in exon 10 of the FSHR gene among the women with a diminished ovarian reserve in Ukraine
Department of Human Genomics, Institute of Molecular Biology and Genetics, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Kiev, Ukraine
J Assist Reprod Genet 26:29-34. 2009
..To evaluate the association between phenotype and follicle stimulating hormone receptor (FSHR) genotype in women with ovarian dysfunction and patients with "poor response" to gonadotropin stimulation of ovulation...
- HIV/AIDS among adolescents in Eastern Europe: knowledge of HIV/AIDS, social representations of risk and sexual activity among school children and homeless adolescents in Russia, Georgia and the Ukraine
Department of Human Sciences, Brunel University, UK
J Health Psychol 9:381-96. 2004
..These findings are discussed in the context of a climate of continuing social change in this region...
- Impact of transition on public health in Ukraine: case study of the HIV/AIDS epidemic
Centre for Research in Health and Social Care, Institute of Health and Social Care, Anglia Polytechnic University, Chelmsford CM1 1SQ
BMJ 331:216-9. 2005
- Cancer after nuclear fallout: lessons from the Chernobyl accident
Thyroid Carcinogenesis Research Group, Strangeways Research Laboratory, Wort s Causeway, Cambridge, CB1 8RN, UK
Nat Rev Cancer 2:543-9. 2002
- Seasonal programming of adult longevity in Ukraine
A M Vaiserman
Laboratory of Mathematical Modeling of Aging Processes, Institute of Gerontology AMSU, Vishgorodskaja 67, Kiev 04114, Ukraine
Int J Biometeorol 47:49-52. 2002
..This is consistent with the hypothesis that the rate of ageing may be programmed in response to environmental influences at critical periods of early development...
- Questionnaire- and measurement-based individual thyroid doses in Ukraine resulting from the Chornobyl nuclear reactor accident
Radiation Protection Institute, Ukrainian Academy of Technological Sciences, 04050 Kyiv, Ukraine
Radiat Res 166:271-86. 2006
The U.S. National Cancer Institute (NCI), in cooperation with the Ministries of Health of Belarus and of Ukraine, is involved in epidemiological studies of thyroid diseases presumably related to the Chornobyl accident, which occurred in ..
- Progress in prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV infection in Ukraine: results from a birth cohort study
MRC Centre of Epidemiology for Child Health, UCL Institute of Child Health, University College London, UK
BMC Infect Dis 9:40. 2009
b>Ukraine was the epicentre of the HIV epidemic in Eastern Europe, which has the most rapidly accelerating HIV epidemic world-wide today; national HIV prevalence is currently estimated at 1.6%...
- Biological consequences of Chernobyl: 20 years on
Anders Pape Møller
Laboratoire de Parasitologie Evolutive, CNRS UMR 7103, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Bat A, 7eme etage, 7 quai St Bernard, Case 237, F 75252 Paris Cedex 05, France
Trends Ecol Evol 21:200-7. 2006
..A coordinated international research effort is therefore needed to further investigate the effects of the disaster, knowledge that could be beneficial if there are further nuclear accidents, including the threat of a "dirty bomb"...
- Birth defects surveillance in Ukraine: a process
Department of Medical Genetics, University of South Alabama, 307 University Blvd, CCCB 214, Mobile, AL 36688, USA
J Appl Genet 47:143-9. 2006
Birth defects (BD) surveillance using international standards was introduced in Ukraine by a network of five BD centers located in northwestern, central and southern regions...
- Adult Dirofilaria repens nematodes in a cat from Kiev, Ukraine
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine National Agricultural University, PC 03041, Kiev, Ukraine
Vet Rec 155:638-9. 2004
- The chernobyl accident 20 years on: an assessment of the health consequences and the international response
Department of Environmental Sciences, Faculty of Natural and Environmental Sciences, University of Kuopio, Kuopio, Finland
Environ Health Perspect 114:1312-7. 2006
..Accurate assessment of the consequences is important to the current debate on nuclear power...
- Thyroid cancer incidence trends in Belarus: examining the impact of Chernobyl
Martin C Mahoney
Division of Cancer Prevention and Population Sciences, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY 14263, USA
Int J Epidemiol 33:1025-33. 2004
..While prior studies of thyroid cancer incidence within Belarus have increased since the 1986 Chernobyl reactor accident, the magnitude of increase is not well quantified...
- Health effects of the Chernobyl accident: fears, rumours and the truth
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Institute of Experimental and Clinical Medicine, Hiiu 42, 11619 Tallinn, Estonia
Eur J Cancer 39:295-9. 2003
..Researchers in search of the truth through epidemiological reasoning are facing serious challenges which are reviewed within this article...
- Reforming tuberculosis control in Ukraine: results of pilot projects and implications for the national scale-up of DOTS
Royal Tropical Institute, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Health Policy Plan 24:55-62. 2009
The period of economic transition has had severe consequences for health and health systems in Ukraine. The tuberculosis (TB) situation illustrates this...
- Strontium fallout from Chernobyl and perinatal mortality in Ukraine and Belarus
Münich Evironmental Institute, Schwere Reiter Str 35 1B, 80797, Munich, Germany
Radiats Biol Radioecol 43:197-202. 2003
Perinatal mortality rates in the regions of Ukraine and Belarus surrounding the Chernobyl site increased in 1987, the year following the Chernobyl accident...
- Gender differences in sex risk behaviors among Ukraine injection drug users
Robert E Booth
Department of Psychiatry, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 46:112-7. 2007
To assess gender differences in drug and sex risk behaviors and evaluate predictors of HIV-related sex risk behaviors among heterosexual injection drug users (IDUs) in Ukraine.
- Preliminary evidence for the cross-cultural utility of the type D personality construct in the Ukraine
Susanne S Pedersen
Center of Research on Psychology in Somatic Diseases, Tilburg University, Tilburg, The Netherlands
Int J Behav Med 16:108-15. 2009
..Type D personality is a risk indicator in cardiac patients. The validity and reliability of the Type D Scale (DS14) have been confirmed in Western Europe but not outside this context...
- The congenital anomalies registry in Belarus: a tool for assessing the public health impact of the Chernobyl accident
National Research Institute for Hereditary and Inborn Diseases, UI Orlovskaya 66, 220035 Minsk, Belarus
Reprod Toxicol 17:659-66. 2003
..Although the trend we observed may be explained by better ascertainment and prenatal diagnosis, a real increase cannot be ruled out...
- Drug injectors and dealers in Odessa, Ukraine
Robert E Booth
Addiction Research and Treatment Services, Department of Psychiatry, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado 80206, USA
J Psychoactive Drugs 35:419-26. 2003
..in a series of focus groups and in-depth interviews with injection drug users (IDUs) and drug dealers in Odessa, Ukraine. Ukraine has the highest rate of HIV infection in Eastern as well as Western Europe, and Odessa ranks among the ..
- Mother-to-child transmission risk is increased among HIV-infected pregnant women in Ukraine with serological test results positive for syphilis
Clin Infect Dis 47:1114-5. 2008
- Stimulant injectors in Ukraine: the next wave of the epidemic?
Robert E Booth
University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO, USA
AIDS Behav 12:652-61. 2008
..IDUs), unaware of their HIV status, recruited through street outreach in Kiev, Odessa and Makeevka/Donetsk, Ukraine. Overall, 22% tested positive for HIV, including 39% among opiate/sedative injectors, 19% among opiate injectors ..
- Tobacco use, cessation advice to patients and attitudes to tobacco control among physicians in Ukraine
Department of Oral Pathology, College of Dentistry, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Eur J Cancer Prev 15:458-63. 2006
..physicians' smoking behaviors and their attitudes toward tobacco use by their patients and tobacco control in the Ukraine, a 70-item questionnaire was administered to 799 general practitioners (287 men and 512 women) working in both ..
- Predictors of HIV sero-status among drug injectors at three Ukraine sites
Robert E Booth
University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, 1741 Vine Street, Denver, CO 80206, USA
AIDS 20:2217-23. 2006
To assess the HIV serostatus of injection drug users (IDU) in Ukraine, as well as associations between serostatus and selected demographic and risk factors.
- Seasonality of birth in children and young adults (0-29 years) with type 1 diabetes in Ukraine
A M Vaiserman
Laboratory of Mathematical Modelling of Ageing Processes, Institute of Gerontology, Vyshgorodskaya st 67, Kiev 04114, Ukraine
Diabetologia 50:32-5. 2007
..We examined whether the pattern of month of birth for type 1 diabetes patients in Ukraine differs from that for total live births.
- Prevalence of sexually transmitted infections in HIV-1 infected pregnant women in Europe
Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Eur J Epidemiol 22:925-36. 2007
..A total of 1,050 women were included: 530 in Western Europe and 520 in Ukraine. Syphilis was the most common bacterial STI (2% prevalence, 95% CI 1.2-3.0)...
- [Peculiarities of superficial architectonics of peripheral blood erythrocytes in children irradiated in utero and living in the radioactive-contaminated areas]
E I Stepanova
Tsitol Genet 40:40-3. 2006
..The disorders in the superficial relief and in the form of blood erythrocytes indicative of the disorganization and transformation of erythrocytes in the children irradiated in utero stipulate their functional inferiority...
- Smoking initiation and nicotine dependence symptoms in Ukraine: findings from the Ukraine World Mental Health survey
Charles P M Webb
Department of Psychiatry, Stony Brook University, NY 11794 8790, USA
Public Health 121:663-72. 2007
..This study examined the personal, familial and psychiatric risk factors for smoking initiation and development of nicotine dependence symptoms in Ukraine.
- Correlates of smoking initiation among young adults in Ukraine: a cross-sectional study
Tatiana I Andreeva
School of Public Health, National University of Kyiv Mohyla Academy, Kiev, Ukraine
BMC Public Health 7:106. 2007
To estimate the impact of smoking restrictions in homes and schools, and tobacco advertising and information on smoking initiation by young people in Ukraine.
- Changes in smoking prevalence in Ukraine in 2001-5
Tatiana I Andreeva
School of Public Health, National University of Kyiv Mohyla Academy, Kyiv, Ukraine
Tob Control 16:202-6. 2007
To analyse trends in smoking prevalence in Ukraine from three surveys conducted in 2001-5, and to explore correlates of observed changes, in order to estimate the stage of tobacco epidemic in Ukraine.
- Descriptive epidemiology of intimate partner aggression in Ukraine
K DANIEL O'LEARY
Dept of Psychiatry, Stony Brook University, Putnam Hall South Campus, Stony Brook, NY, 11794 8790, USA
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 43:619-26. 2008
..Using data from the World Mental Health (WMH) survey in Ukraine, we present the first population-based findings on the descriptive epidemiology of partner aggression among ..
- Hybridization of Bombina bombina and B. variegata (Anura, Discoglossidae) at a sharp ecotone in western Ukraine: comparisons across transects and over time
Schmalhausen Institute of Zoology, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Kiev
Evolution 60:583-600. 2006
..Here, we report on a joint genetic and ecological analysis of a hybrid zone in the vicinity of Stryi in western Ukraine. We used five unlinked allozyme loci, two nuclear single nucleotide polymorphisms and a mitochondrial DNA ..
- Anthelmintic resistance in cyathostomins of brood horses in Ukraine and influence of anthelmintic treatments on strongylid community structure
Tetyana A Kuzmina
Department of Parasitology, I I Schmalhausen Institute of Zoology NAS of Ukraine, vul B Khmelnitskogo 15, Kyiv 01601, Ukraine
Vet Parasitol 154:277-88. 2008
..reduction test (FECRT) to determine the presence and distribution of anthelmintic resistance in strongylids in Ukraine. The anthelmintic drugs "Albendazole-7.5" (7...
- Chernobyl: poverty and stress pose 'bigger threat' than radiation
Nature 437:181. 2005
- Health lifestyles and political ideology in Belarus, Russia, and Ukraine
William C Cockerham
University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA
Soc Sci Med 62:1799-809. 2006
..association of political ideology with health lifestyle practices and self-rated health in Belarus, Russia, and Ukraine. The political trajectory of post-Soviet societies has taken two divergent paths, either toward democracy or ..
- Exposure to PCB and p, p'-DDE in European and Inuit populations: impact on human sperm chromatin integrity
Section of Toxicology and Biomedical Sciences, BIOTEC MED, ENEA Casaccia, 00060 Rome, Italy
Hum Reprod 20:3488-99. 2005
..Their impact on male fertility is still unknown...
- Exposure from the Chernobyl accident had adverse effects on erythrocytes, leukocytes, and, platelets in children in the Narodichesky region, Ukraine: a 6-year follow-up study
Scientific Center for Radiation Medicine, Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine, Kyiv, Ukraine
Environ Health 7:21. 2008
..on April 26, 1986, all children in the contaminated territory of the Narodichesky region, Zhitomir Oblast, Ukraine, were obliged to participate in a yearly medical examination...
- Fertility in four regions spanning large contrasts in serum levels of widespread persistent organochlorines: a cross-sectional study
Department of Occupational Medicine, Aarhus University Hospital, Noerrebrogade 44, Build, 2C, DK 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
Environ Health 4:26. 2005
..Persistent organochlorine pollutants (POPs) may interfere with reproductive function but direct evidence in humans is very limited...
- Iodine excretion in regions of Ukraine affected by the Chornobyl Accident: experience of the Ukrainian-American cohort study of thyroid cancer and other thyroid diseases
Institute of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Acad Med Sci Ukraine, Kyiv, Ukraine
Thyroid 15:1291-7. 2005
..In both time periods, urinary iodine levels were found to vary by place of residence and were lower in rural compared to urban areas. Iodine status needs to be considered when evaluating risk of thyroid cancer and other thyroid diseases...
- Prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV infection: Ukraine experience to date
World Health Organization Regional Office for Europe, Copenhagen, Denmark
Eur J Public Health 16:123-7. 2006
..This article sets out to describe the first 2 years of the implementation of the national PMTCT programme in Ukraine.
- Advocacy and coverage of needle exchange programs: results of a comparative study of harm reduction programs in Brazil, Bangladesh, Belarus, Ukraine, Russian Federation, and China
AIDS Projects Management Group, Sydney, Australia
Cad Saude Publica 22:871-9. 2006
..Monitoring to determine regular reach (those who are in regular contact with harm reduction services) should be added to uniform data collection carried out by harm reduction programs. Advocacy is crucial to achieving high coverage...
- Intimate partner violence and increased lifetime risk of sexually transmitted infection among women in Ukraine
Harris Graduate School of Public Policy Studies, University of Chicago, USA
Stud Fam Plann 38:89-100. 2007
..that physical violence perpetrated by a sexual partner is associated with risky sexual behaviors and increased risk of sexually transmitted infection in Ukraine, and may constitute a barrier to prevention of HIV/STI transmission.
- Risk factors for spontaneous preterm birth in two urban areas of Ukraine
S C Monaghan
School of Public Health, University of Illinois, Chicago, USA
Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 15:123-30. 2001
..We conducted a study in two urban areas of Ukraine, asking if the traditional predictors of preterm delivery continue to be associated with risk under these ..
- Health effects of the Chernobyl disaster: illness or illness behavior? A comparative general health survey in two former Soviet regions
Department of Psychiatry, University Hospital, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Environ Health Perspect 105:1533-7. 1997
..The results of this study suggest that the Chernobyl disaster had a significant long-term impact on psychological well-being, health-related quality of life, and illness behavior in the exposed population...
- Polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins, polychlorinated dibenzofurans, and coplanar polychlorinated biphenyls in breast milk from two cities in Ukraine
B C Gladen
Biostatistics Branch, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
J Toxicol Environ Health A 58:119-27. 1999
Substantial environmental pollution has been alleged in Ukraine, but little information is available to allow an assessment of the possible impact on humans...
- Radiation effects in lymphocytes of children living in a Chernobyl contaminated region of Belarus
L S Mikhalevich
Institute of Genetics and Cytology, National Academy of Sciences of Belarus, Minsk
Int J Radiat Biol 76:1377-85. 2000
..To investigate cytogenetic and mutational effects in lymphocytes from individuals chronically exposed to radiation from the Chernobyl catastrophe...
- Somatic symptoms in women 11 years after the Chornobyl accident: prevalence and risk factors
Evelyn J Bromet
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science, State University of New York, Stony Brook, New York 11794 8790, USA
Environ Health Perspect 110:625-9. 2002
- Simultaneous introduction of HIV type 1 subtype A and B viruses into injecting drug users in southern Ukraine at the beginning of the epidemic in the former Soviet Union
Alexey A Nabatov
Department of Human Retrovirology, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 18:891-5. 2002
..To characterize viruses present during the early stage of the epidemic in southern Ukraine, where the first outbreaks in the FSU were registered, we obtained partial env and pol sequences from IDUs from ..
- Ukraine, 1992: first assessment of diphtheria vaccine effectiveness during the recent resurgence of diphtheria in the Former Soviet Union
R T Chen
National Immunization Program, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Infect Dis 181:S178-83. 2000
A case-control study in Ukraine provided the first data on the field effectiveness of Russian-produced vaccine during the 1990 diphtheria resurgence in the former Soviet Union...
- Chernobyl accident: retrospective and prospective estimates of external dose of the population of Ukraine
Ilya A Likhtarev
Radiation Protection Institute, Ukrainian Academy of Technological Sciences, Kyiv
Health Phys 82:290-303. 2002
Following the Chernobyl accident many activities were conducted in Ukraine in order to define the radiological impact...
- Nucleotide variation in the p53 tumor-suppressor gene of voles from Chernobyl, Ukraine
J A DeWoody
Department of Biological Sciences, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX 79409, USA
Mutat Res 439:25-36. 1999
The 1986 Chernobyl disaster contaminated vast regions of Ukraine and Belarus with a variety of radioactive isotopes and heavy metals...
- Hospital admissions during pregnancy in two urban areas of Ukraine
R E Little
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 15:323-7. 2001
..We investigated the reasons for hospital admissions in a sample of deliveries from Ukraine, a country of the former eastern bloc...
- Illicit drug use and its health consequences in Belarus, Russian Federation and Ukraine: impact of transition
Vladimir B Poznyak
Training and Research Center, Belarussian Psychiatric Association, Minsk, Belarus
Eur Addict Res 8:184-9. 2002
..of the transition period on illicit drug use and its health consequences in Belarus, the Russian Federation and Ukraine. Available data were compiled to illustrate the trends and policy responses since 1991, when the countries had ..
- Ukrainian application of the Children's Somatization Inventory: psychometric properties and associations with internalizing symptoms
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science, State University of New York at Stony Brook, 11794-8790, USA
J Abnorm Child Psychol 29:165-75. 2001
..psychometric properties of the Children's Somatization Inventory (CSI) in 600 10-12-year old children in Kyiv, Ukraine, replicating and extending the original findings from a sample in Nashville, Tennessee (J. Garber et al. 1991)...
- Monitoring of radionuclides contamination of soils in Shatsk National Natural Park (Volyn region, Ukraine) during 1994-2001
Department of Physics, Ivan Franko Lviv National University, 19 Dragomanov Str, 79005 Lviv, Ukraine
J Environ Radioact 72:25-33. 2004
..of the soils in the western part of the territory of Shatsk National Natural Park (ShNNP), Volyn region, Ukraine, performed during 1994-2001 are presented...
- Quantitative assessment of the effects of agricultural practices designed to reduce 137Cs and 90Sr soil-plant transfer in meadows
Departament de Química Analítica Universitat de Barcelona, Av Diagonal 647, 3a Planta, 08028 Barcelona, Spain
Sci Total Environ 332:23-38. 2004
..98 and 0.86, respectively, between calculated and experimental log transfer factors...
- Risk of thyroid cancer in the Bryansk Oblast of the Russian Federation after the Chernobyl Power Station accident
Division of Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98109 1024, USA
Radiat Res 162:241-8. 2004
..These findings are consistent with descriptive reports from contaminated areas of Ukraine and Belarus, and the quantitative estimate of thyroid cancer risk is generally consistent with estimates from ..
- 137Cs contamination in tea and yerba mate in South America
D E Di Gregorio
Departamento de Ciencias Basicas, Universidad Nacional de Lujan, Rutas 5 y 7, Lujan, Provincia de Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Environ Radioact 76:273-81. 2004
..The results suggest that the area was fertilized with a product that originated in a region affected by the fallout from the Chernobyl nuclear plant accident...
- Lake fish as the main contributor of internal dose to lakeshore residents in the Chernobyl contaminated area
I G Travnikova
Institute of Radiation Hygiene, Mira Street 8, 197101 St Petersburg, Russia
J Environ Radioact 77:63-75. 2004
- Biological estimates of dose to inhabitants of Belarus and Ukraine following the Chernobyl accident
National Radiological Protection Board, Chilton, Didcot, Oxon OX11 0RQ, UK
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 111:211-9. 2004
..All other assays showed inconsistency from person to person or other variations apparently not related to dose. The measurement of translocations, it is concluded, is the biological method of choice for retrospective dosimetry...
- [Development of a strategy for countermeasures application aimed at remediation of consequences of radioactive contamination of forest ecosystems]
S I Spiridonov
Russian Institute of Agricultural Radiology and Agroecology, Russian Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Obninsk, 249020 Russia
Radiats Biol Radioecol 44:104-12. 2004
..The derived results have been formalized as indices of countermeasures effectiveness for different combinations of criteria...
- [Reconstruction of I-131 in milk and exposure doses to the thyroid gland of cattle after the Chernobyl AES]
E V Spirin
Russian Institute of Agricultural Radiology and Agroecology, Obninsk, 249020 Russia
Radiats Biol Radioecol 42:564-8. 2002
..8 and 0.2. The calculations showed, that the average absorbed doses to the thyroid varied between 10 and 40 Gy...
- Investigation of food contamination since the Chernobyl fallout in Austria
Radiation Protection, Austrian Research Centers Seibersdorf, A 2444, Austria
Appl Radiat Isot 61:357-60. 2004
..24 microSv (adult), or 0.88 microSv (5-year infant) respectively, which is less than 0.5% of the ingestion dose of the first year and amounts to 0.7% of the ingestion dose from natural radionuclides...
- Artificial radionuclides in sediments of the Don River Estuary and Azov Sea
Genady G Matishov
Murmansk Marine Biological Institute, Russia
J Environ Radioact 59:309-27. 2002
..10(-6) Sv/yr) is well below regulatory recommended limits, indicating that current levels of radioactivity in the environment pose no threat to commercial fisheries operations for the bordering nations of Russia and Ukraine.