Genomes and Genes
Summary: Created 1 January 1993 as a result of the division of Czechoslovakia into the Czech Republic and Slovakia.
Publications257 found, 100 shown here
- Influence of social support on health among gender and socio-economic groups of adolescentsAndrea Geckova
Institute of Social Sciences, Faculty of Science, PJ Safarik University, Kosice, Slovak Republic
Eur J Public Health 13:44-50. 2003..The influence of social support on health was explored among gender and socio-economic groups with the aim of contributing to the explanation of socio-economic health differences among Slovak adolescents...
- Spatial distribution of Dermacentor reticulatus tick in Slovakia in the beginning of the 21st centuryEva Bullova
Parasitological Institute, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Hlinkova 3, 04001 Kosice, Slovak Republic
Vet Parasitol 165:357-60. 2009A new field survey monitoring the spatial distribution of Dermacentor (D.) reticulatus (Fabricius, 1794) tick in Slovakia was carried out in 2005-2008 in order to record changes in its distribution when compared to former studies...
- Prevalence of permanent neonatal diabetes in Slovakia and successful replacement of insulin with sulfonylurea therapy in KCNJ11 and ABCC8 mutation carriersJuraj Stanik
DIABGENE and Diabetes Research Laboratory, Institute of Experimental Endocrinology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Vlarska 3, SK 833 06 Bratislava, Slovak Republic
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:1276-82. 2007..Thus, the aim of this study was to identify the incidence of PNDM in Slovakia and to switch patients to sulfonylurea (SU) where applicable.
- Molecular evidence for Anaplasma phagocytophilum and Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato in Ixodes ricinus ticks from eastern SlovakiaMarketa Derdakova
Faculty of Medicine, P J Safarik University, Srobarova 2, 041 80 Kosice, Slovak Republic
Ann Agric Environ Med 10:269-71. 2003Ixodes ricinus ticks (20 males, 20 females and 20 nymphs) collected in Kosice, Slovakia were examined for the presence of Anaplasma phagocytophilum and Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato (s.l.) by PCR. 38...
- Detection of Anaplasma phagocytophilum, Coxiella burnetii, Rickettsia spp., and Borrelia burgdorferi s. l. in Ticks, and wild-living animals in western and middle SlovakiaKatarína Smetanová
Institute of Virology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Dubravska cesta 9, Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1078:312-5. 2006..reticulatus), small terrestrial mammals, and game were examined by PCR for the presence of tick-borne pathogens Anaplasma phagocytophilum, Coxiella burnetii, Rickettsia spp., and Borrelia burgdorferi Sensu lato...
- Placental transfer of polychlorinated biphenyls, their hydroxylated metabolites and pentachlorophenol in pregnant women from eastern SlovakiaJune Soo Park
Department of Public Health Sciences, University of California Davis, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Chemosphere 70:1676-84. 2008..PCB metabolites (OH-PCBs), and pentachlorophenol (PCP) in blood serum, in a birth cohort from eastern Slovakia. During the period 2002-2004, cord blood specimens were collected in parallel with maternal specimens from women ..
- Prenatal polychlorinated biphenyl exposures in eastern Slovakia modify effects of social factors on birthweightDean Sonneborn
Division of Epidemiology, Department of Public Health Sciences, School of Medicine, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 22:202-13. 2008..In eastern Slovakia, they were produced until 1985...
- Prenatal PCB exposure and thymus size at birth in neonates in Eastern SlovakiaHye Youn Park
Division of Epidemiology, Department of Public Health Sciences, School of Medicine, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Environ Health Perspect 116:104-9. 2008..The thymus is essential for the differentiation and maturation of T-cell lymphocytes...
- Climate warming and tick-borne encephalitis, SlovakiaMartin Lukan
University of Zilina, Tatranska Javorina, Slovakia
Emerg Infect Dis 16:524-6. 2010..To investigate temporal trends in the altitude at which TBE cases occur in Slovakia, we analyzed the number of TBE cases during 1961-2004...
- Seroprevalence of antibodies to Coxiella burnetii among employees of the Veterinary University in Kosice, eastern SlovakiaErik Dorko
Department of Epidemiology, Faculty of Medicine, Srobarova 2, 041 80 Kosice, Slovak Republic
Ann Agric Environ Med 15:119-24. 2008..Q fever is a profession-related disease and prevention of its spreading within the risk population groups requires observation of basic safety rules...
- Genetic diversity of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato isolates obtained from Ixodes ricinus ticks collected in SlovakiaL Gern
Institute of Zoology, University of Neuchatel, Switzerland
Eur J Epidemiol 15:665-9. 1999..burgdorferi species among Ixodes ricinus adult ticks collected in an endemic area within Slovakia. We compared results of prevalence of B...
- Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease with E200K mutation in Slovakia: characterization and developmentE Mitrova
Institute of Preventive and Clinical Medicine, Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Acta Virol 46:31-9. 2002..Except Slovakia and Israel, the recorded familial cases have never exceeded 10-15%...
- Case-control study of PCBs, other organochlorines and breast cancer in Eastern SlovakiaMarian Pavuk
University of Texas School of Public Health, Regional Campus, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, V8 112M, Dallas, Texas 75235 9128, USA
J Expo Anal Environ Epidemiol 13:267-75. 2003..PCBs) and risk of breast cancer in an area of high environmental exposure in the Michalovce district of eastern Slovakia. Incident breast cancer cases from the Michalovce district diagnosed between May 1997 and May 1999 were recruited ..
- Incidence of trichothecenes and zearalenone in poultry feed mixtures from SlovakiaRoman Labuda
Department of Microbiology, Slovak University of Agriculture in Nitra, Faculty of Biotechnology and Food Sciences, Nitra, Slovak Republic
Int J Food Microbiol 105:19-25. 2005..This is the first reported study dealing with zearalenone and trichothecene contamination of poultry mixed feeds from Slovakia.
- Incidence of fumonisins, moniliformin and Fusarium species in poultry feed mixtures from SlovakiaRoman Labuda
Department of Microbiology, Slovak University of Agriculture in Nitra, Faculty of Biotechnology and Food Sciences, Slovak Republic
Ann Agric Environ Med 12:81-6. 2005..This is the first reported study dealing with fumonisin and moniliformin contamination of poultry feeds from Slovakia.
- Mutations in the CgPDR1 and CgERG11 genes in azole-resistant Candida glabrata clinical isolates from SlovakiaNorbert Berila
Department of Microbiology and Virology, Faculty of Natural Sciences, Comenius University in Bratislava, Mlynska dolina B 2, 84215 Bratislava 4, Slovak Republic
Int J Antimicrob Agents 33:574-8. 2009..The results demonstrate that decreased susceptibilities of C. glabrata clinical isolates to azole antifungals mainly results from gain-of-function mutations in the gene encoding the CgPdr1p transcription factor...
- The first finding of Echinococcus multilocularis in dogs in Slovakia: an emerging risk for spreading of infectionD Antolová
Parasitological Institute of Slovak Academy of Sciences, Kosice, Slovak Republic
Zoonoses Public Health 56:53-8. 2009..multilocularis in dogs in the Slovak Republic that confirms substantial contribution of dogs to the transmission of the tapeworm in this territory and urges the necessity of prophylactic measures for dog owners...
- [Health and economic benefits of mandatory regular vaccination in Slovakia. IV. Measles, rubella and mumps]H Hudeckova
Odbor epidemiológie, Státny zdravotný ústav, Martin
Epidemiol Mikrobiol Imunol 50:31-5. 2001The epidemiological situation as regards measles, rubella and mumps in Slovakia before vaccination and after its introduction in 1996, is analysed...
- Alternaria jesenskae sp. nov., a new species from Slovakia on Fumana procumbens (Cistaceae)Roman Labuda
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Biotechnology and Food Sciences, Slovak University of Agriculture, Tr A Hlinku 2, 949 71 Nitra, Slovak Republic
Microbiol Res 163:208-14. 2008Alternaria jesenskae sp. nov. recovered from seeds of a shrubby perennial plant Fumana procumbens (Cistaceae) in Slovakia is described and illustrated...
- Prevalence of Borrelia burgdorferi s.l. OspA types in Ixodes ricinus ticks from selected localities in Slovakia and PolandDaniela Lencáková
Max von Pettenkofer Institute, LMU Munich, National Reference Center for Borreliae, Pettenkoferstrasse 9a, D 80336 Munich, Germany
Int J Med Microbiol 296:108-18. 2006In this study, 746 questing Ixodes (I.) ricinus ticks from eastern Slovakia and 187 ticks from southern Poland were investigated for infection with Borrelia (B...
- Analysis of the structure of services provided in the healthcare facilities in long-term care in SlovakiaM Lezovic
Department of Health Policy and Health Economy, Faculty of Public Health, Slovak Medical University, Bratislava, Slovakia
Bratisl Lek Listy 110:701-4. 2009..Long-term care for people with chronic illnesses and disabilities present an urgent challenge around the world...
- Climate changes implicated for Dirofilaria dissemination in SlovakiaMartina Miterpákovzá
Parasitological Institute SAS, Hlinkova 3, 04001 Kosice, Slovak Republic
Wiad Parazytol 55:429-31. 2009..9%. The majority of infected dogs came from southern regions of Slovakia. In the regions of Trnava and Nitra 45.2% and 31.4% of the dogs surveyed were infected, respectively...
- In vitro effect of subinhibitory concentrations of antibiotics on biofilm formation by clinical strains of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium isolated in SlovakiaJ Majtan
Department of Microbiology, Slovak Medical University, Bratislava, Slovak Republic
J Appl Microbiol 104:1294-301. 2008..Typhimurium) human clinical isolates and the effect of subinhibitory concentrations (sub-MICs) of gentamicin, ciprofloxacin and cefotaxime on biofilm formation and exopolysaccharides (EPS) production...
- Drug utilisation in outpatient children. A comparison among Tenerife, Valencia, and Barcelona (Spain), Toulouse (France), Sofia (Bulgaria), Bratislava (Slovakia) and Smolensk (Russia)E Sanz
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, School of Medicine, University of La Laguna, 38071 La Laguna, Tenerife, Spain
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 60:127-34. 2004..Scarce information about comparative diagnostic and therapeutic patterns in paediatric outpatients of different countries is found in the literature...
- No effect of CYP1B1 Val432Leu polymorphism on CYP1B1 messenger RNA levels in an organochlorine-exposed population in SlovakiaMajorie B M van Duursen
Institute for Risk Assessment Sciences, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 14:755-6. 2005
- Q fever in Bulgaria and SlovakiaV S Serbezov
National Center of Infectious and Parasite Diseases, Sofia, Bulgaria
Emerg Infect Dis 5:388-94. 1999..Chronic forms of Q fever manifesting as endocarditis were also observed. In contrast, in Slovakia, Q fever does not pose a serious public health problem, and the chronic form of infection has not been found ..
- Otomycoses of candidal origin in eastern SlovakiaE Dorko
Department of Epidemiology, Faculty of Medicine, Safarik University, 041 80 Kosice, Slovakia
Folia Microbiol (Praha) 49:601-4. 2004..14), Proteus mirabilis (3), Pseudomonas aeruginosa (3), Escherichia coli (1) and Haemophilus influenzae (1). The most frequent predisposing factors for otomycosis were swimming in public pools and/or bath, spa and diabetes mellitus...
- Incidence of autoantibodies against type I and type II interferons in a cohort of systemic lupus erythematosus patients in SlovakiaMonika Slavikova
Institute of Virology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, 842 45 Bratislava, Slovakia
J Interferon Cytokine Res 23:143-7. 2003..Our findings suggest that formation of autoantibodies could reflect humoral immune responses to increased spontaneous production of the respective IFN species in SLE patients...
- Autoimmune polyendocrine syndrome type I in Slovakia: relevance of screening patients with autoimmune Addison's diseaseNg weina F Magitta
Institute for Clinical Medicine, University of Bergen, N 5021 Bergen, Norway
Eur J Endocrinol 158:705-9. 2008..There is a wide variability in clinical phenotypes in patients with APS I, which makes the diagnosis a challenge...
- HER-2 [Ile655Val] polymorphism in association with breast cancer risk: a population-based case-control study in SlovakiaP Zubor
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Comenius University, Jessenius Faculty of Medicine, 03659 Martin, Slovak Republic
Neoplasma 53:49-55. 2006..Ile655Val polymorphism of HER-2 gene was associated with a statistically significantly increased risk of breast cancer all above in homozygotes for Val allele...
- Smoking and some life-style changes in medical students--Slovakia, 1995-1999T Baska
Institute of Epidemiology, Jessenius Faculty of Medicine, Comenius University, Sklabinska 26, 037 53 Martin, Slovak Republic
Cent Eur J Public Health 9:147-9. 2001..Beside this, other factors of life-style such as alcohol consumption, nutritional status [studied through body mass index (BMI)] and citrus consumption were studied...
- Higher prevalence of type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular diseases in gypsies than in non-gypsies in SlovakiaBarbora Vozarova de Courten
Clinical Diabetes and Nutrition Section, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, 4212 N, 16th Street, Rm 5 41, Phoenix, AZ 85016, USA
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 62:95-103. 2003..Our aim was to determine the prevalence of type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM), metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular diseases in Gypsies and non-Gypsies living in the same region of southern Slovakia.
- Growth responses to climate in a multi-species tree-ring network in the Western Carpathian Tatra Mountains, Poland and SlovakiaUlf Büntgen
Swiss Federal Research Institute WSL, Zürcherstrasse 111, 8903 Birmensdorf, Switzerland
Tree Physiol 27:689-702. 2007..of 24 tree-ring width and four maximum latewood density chronologies from the greater Tatra region in Poland and Slovakia. This network comprises 1183 ring-width and 153 density measurement series from four conifer species (Picea abies ..
- Blood levels of natural antioxidants in gastric and colorectal precancerous lesions and cancers in SlovakiaI Beno
Research Institute of Nutrition, Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Neoplasma 47:37-40. 2000..Therefore, it is necessary to increase the general consumption of fruits and vegetables in Slovakia as a part of primary prevention of malignant diseases in these organs...
- To what extent does socioeconomic status explain differences in health between Roma and non-Roma adolescents in Slovakia?Peter Kolarcik
Kosice Institute for Society and Health, P J Safarik University, Moyzesova 16, 040 01 Kosice, Slovakia
Soc Sci Med 68:1279-84. 2009..5) and non-Roma adolescents (N=722, mean age=14.9) living in eastern Slovakia. We gathered data on sociodemographic position, self-rated health (using the SF-36), the occurrence of accidents ..
- Incidence of various tick-borne microorganisms in rodents and ticks of central SlovakiaE Spitalska
Institute of Virology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Acta Virol 52:175-9. 2008..infections in wild rodents and ticks collected from the vegetation of central Slovakia. The microorganisms were identified by PCR and sequencing...
- Arsenic exposure in Hungary, Romania and SlovakiaAnna Lena Lindberg
Institute of Environmental Medicine, Karolinska Institute, Box 210, SE 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
J Environ Monit 8:203-8. 2006..Exposure to arsenic from food, mainly as DMA, and cigarette smoke, mainly as inorganic arsenic, are major determinants of arsenic exposure at very low concentrations of arsenic in drinking water...
- Polychlorinated biphenyls and their hydroxylated metabolites (OH-PCBS) in pregnant women from eastern SlovakiaJune Soo Park
Department of Public Health Sciences, University of California Davis, Davis, California, USA
Environ Health Perspect 115:20-7. 2007Our aim in the present study was to characterize and quantify the levels of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) and specific polychlorobiphenylol (OH-PCB) metabolites in maternal sera from women delivering in eastern Slovakia.
- Saccharomyces bayanus var. uvarum in Tokaj wine-making of Slovakia and HungaryG I Naumov
State Institute for Genetics and Selection of Industrial Microorganisms, I Dorozhnyi 1, Moscow 113545, Russia
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 59:727-30. 2002..Along with identification of Saccharomyces strains isolated by E. Minárik in Slovakia, the composition of Tokaj populations in Hungary was studied...
- Serotypes, virulence genes, intimin types and PFGE profiles of Escherichia coli isolated from piglets with diarrhoea in SlovakiaH Vu-Khac
Institute of Microbiology and Immunology, Department of Food Hygiene and Technology, University of Veterinary Medicine, Komenskeho 73, Slovakia
Vet J 174:176-87. 2007..This is believed to be the first study describing the presence of intimin type xiB in E. coli of porcine origin...
- Anthropometry, nutrition status and thymic size of Gypsy newborns from southwestern SlovakiaI Varga
Department of Histology and Embryology, Faculty of Medicine, Comenius University in Bratislava, Slovakia
Bratisl Lek Listy 110:354-7. 2009Gypsy population represents a specific minority in Slovakia that differs from the majority population by its origin and genetic markers, as well as by generally lower social and economic status and lower hygienic standards of living...
- A whole population study of gastrointestinal stromal tumors in the Czech Republic and SlovakiaP Brabec
Institute of Biostatic and Analyses, Masaryk University, Czech Republic
Neoplasma 56:459-64. 2009..The registry helps in improving GIST diagnostics, knowledge about the properties and behaviour of tumors, communication among physicians, and, last but not least, therapeutical options and results...
- Seroprevalence of Coxiella burnetii antibodies among students of the Faculty of Medicine in Kosice (Slovakia)E Dorko
Department of Epidemiology, Safarik University, Kosice, Slovakia
Folia Microbiol (Praha) 53:563-8. 2008..8 and 73.2 %, respectively) or between males and females (74.0 and 74.7 %, respectively). Abs were detected more frequently in raw milk consumers (68.1 %) and in students who kept some animals (73.7 %)...
- Neospora caninum, potential cause of abortions in dairy cows: the current serological follow-up in SlovakiaK Reiterová
Parasitological Institute of the Slovak Academy of Sciences, Kosice, Slovak Republic
Vet Parasitol 159:1-6. 2009..n=716) and in cows without any reproduction problems (Control Group n=247) on large breeding farms from Eastern Slovakia. The overall mean seropositivity in PA Group (20.1%) was significantly higher (p<0...
- Association of Borrelia garinii and B. valaisiana with songbirds in SlovakiaKlára Hanincová
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, St Mary s Campus, Norfolk Place, London W2 1PG, UK
Appl Environ Microbiol 69:2825-30. 2003..Therefore, the aim of this study was to identify reservoir hosts of B. garinii and B. valaisiana in Slovakia. Songbirds were captured in a woodland near Bratislava and investigated for engorged ticks. Questing I...
- Prospective study of antibacterial susceptibility, risk factors and outcome of 157 episodes of Acinetobacter baumannii bacteremia in 1999 in SlovakiaJ Koprnova
Department of Public Health, School of Health, University of Trnava, Slovakia
Scand J Infect Dis 33:891-5. 2001..of Acinetobacter baumannii bacteremia occurring in major university hospitals or tertiary care institutions in Slovakia during 1999 in order to determine the antimicrobial susceptibility, risk factors and outcome...
- The influence of temperature, relative humidity and rainfall on the occurrence of pollen allergens (Betula, Poaceae, Ambrosia artemisiifolia) in the atmosphere of Bratislava (Slovakia)J Bartková-Scevková
Prírodovedecká fakulta Univerzity Komenského, Katedra ekosozológie, Mlynská dolina B2, 842 15 Bratislava, Slovakia
Int J Biometeorol 48:1-5. 2003..to represent weeds. The taxons mentioned represent the most significant allergens in Slovakia. The concentration of pollen grains has been monitored by a Lanzoni volumetric pollen trap...
- Levels of PCBs and their metabolites in the serum of residents of a highly contaminated area in eastern SlovakiaLotta Hovander
Department of Environmental Chemistry, Stockholm University, SE 10691 Stockholm, Sweden
Environ Sci Technol 40:3696-703. 2006..that can be used as a basis for studies on the health of individuals residing in the Michalovce area of eastern Slovakia which is heavily contaminated by polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs)...
- Socioeconomic predictors of smoking behaviour among school-aged children, in the SlovakiaD Marcinkova
Department of Public Health, Faculty of Health Care and Social Work, Trnava University, Slovakia
Bratisl Lek Listy 110:345-9. 2009..The aim of this study was to describe the relationship between smoking habits and socioeconomic determinants among adolescents...
- Epidemiology and therapeutic aspects of burn injuries in Slovakia (1993-2003)J Babik
Department of Burns and Reconstructive Surgery, 1st Private Hospital Kosice Saca, Slovakia
Acta Chir Plast 48:39-42. 2006The authors analyze the epidemiology and trend of thermal injuries in Slovakia since 1990. The article includes statistics from both of the burn injury workplaces in Bratislava and Kosice...
- Serum PCBs and organochlorine pesticides in Slovakia: age, gender, and residence as determinants of organochlorine concentrationsJan Petrik
Department of Toxic Organic Pollutants, Slovak Medical University, Limbova 12, SK 83303 Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Chemosphere 65:410-8. 2006..beta-, gamma-HCH, HCB, p,p'-DDT and p,p'-DDE) in 2047 subjects from contaminated and background areas of eastern Slovakia. Data were collected in 2001 and analyzed by high-resolution gas chromatography with electron capture detection ..
- Prescribers' indications for drugs in childhood: a survey of five European countries (Spain, France, Bulgaria, Slovakia and Russia)Emilio J Sanz
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, School of Medicine, University of La Laguna, La Laguna, Tenerife, Spain
Acta Paediatr 94:1784-90. 2005..Indication-based, in comparison to diagnoses-based, drug utilization studies in children are scarce in the literature...
- Socio-economic differences in health among Slovak adolescentsAndrea M Geckova
Institute of Social Sciences, Faculty of Science, P J Safarik University, Kosice
Soz Praventivmed 49:26-35. 2004..To explore socio-economic health differences among Slovak adolescents...
- Hepatozoon canis infection in Slovakia: imported or autochthonous?Viktoria Majlathova
Parasitological Institute SAS, Kosice, Slovakia
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 7:199-202. 2007..samples of striated muscle tissue and five samples of heart tissue) that originated from the Michalovce district (Slovakia), an area with endemic occurrence of canine babesiosis were examined by PCR method using primers amplifying a ..
- Findings from the Global Youth Tobacco Survey (GYTS) in Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland and Slovakia--smoking initiation, prevalence of tobacco use and cessationTibor Baska
Jessenius Faculty of Medicine, Comenius University Martin, Slovakia
Soz Praventivmed 51:110-6. 2006To show selected findings from the Global Youth Tobacco Survey (GYTS) conducted in Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland and Slovakia.
- Familial defective apolipoprotein B-100 in Slovakia: are differences in prevalence of familial defective apolipoprotein B-100 explained by ethnicity?Juraj Gasparovic
Slovak Medical University, Limbova 12, Bratislava 833 03, Slovakia
Atherosclerosis 194:e95-107. 2007..with the phenotype of familial hypercholesterolemia (FH) and in the general population of 40-year-old subjects in Slovakia and to characterize their lipid and clinical criteria and to compare the frequency of FDB with other populations...
- PCDDs, PCDFs and dioxin-like PCBs in food of animal origin (Slovakia)Jana Chovancova
Department of Toxic Organic Pollutants, Slovak Medical University, Limbova 12, SK 833 03 Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Chemosphere 61:1305-11. 2005..034 pg TEQ/g fresh weight for mono-ortho PCBs. The mean total concentration of PCDDs/PCDFs and dioxin-like PCBs in samples of infant milk formula imported from EU countries was 0.98 pg TEQ/g fat...
- Comparison of arsenic levels in fingernails with urinary As species as biomarkers of arsenic exposure in residents living close to a coal-burning power plant in Prievidza District, SlovakiaMichael Wilhelm
Department of Hygiene, Social and Environmental Medicine, Ruhr University Bochum, Bochum, Germany
J Expo Anal Environ Epidemiol 15:89-98. 2005..66 years) lived in the vicinity of a coal-burning power plant with high As emissions in the Prievidza District, Slovakia. Samples were taken in 1999 and 2000...
- Increasing trends of tobacco use in medical students in Slovakia--a reason for concern?Tibor Baska
Jessenius Faculty of Medicine, Comenius University, Martin, Slovak Republic
Cent Eur J Public Health 15:29-32. 2007The article analyses changes in tobacco use in medical students in Slovakia in 1995, 1999 and 2004.
- Post-socialist forest disturbance in the Carpathian border region of Poland, Slovakia, and UkraineTobias Kuemmerle
Genomics Department, Humboldt Universitat zu Berlin, Unter den Linden 6, 10099 Berlin, Germany
Ecol Appl 17:1279-95. 2007..forest disturbance and to assess the effectiveness of protected areas in the border triangle of Poland, Slovakia, and Ukraine, to better understand the role of broadscale political and socioeconomic factors...
- Cardiovascular risk factors in young Gypsy populationM Krajcovicova-Kudlackova
Research Base of the Slovak Medical University, Institute of Preventive and Clinical Medicine, Bratislava, Slovakia
Bratisl Lek Listy 105:256-9. 2004..tab. 2, ref. 22.)...
- Environmental exposure to PCBs and cancer incidence in eastern SlovakiaMarian Pavuk
School of Public Health, University of Texas Health Sciences Center, Dallas Regional Campus, 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, V8 112M, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Chemosphere 54:1509-20. 2004..biphenyl (PCB) congeners and three organochlorine pesticides in residents of two districts in eastern Slovakia, one with extensive environmental contamination from a former PCB production site (Michalovce) and the other ..
- Borrelia lusitaniae and green lizards (Lacerta viridis), Karst Region, SlovakiaViktoria Majlathova
Parasitological Institute of Slovak Academy of Sciences, Kosice, Slovakia
Emerg Infect Dis 12:1895-901. 2006..garinii was the dominant species, and B. lusitaniae represented 11.1%. The presence of B. lusitaniae in skin biopsy specimens and in ticks that had fed on green lizards implicates this species in the transmission cycle of B. lusitaniae...
- Health status among young people in Slovakia: comparisons on the basis of age, gender and educationMaria Sleskova
Institute of Social Sciences, Faculty of Science, PJ Safarik University, Moyzesova 16, 040 01 Kosice, Slovakia
Soc Sci Med 61:2521-7. 2005This study examines the health status of young people in Slovakia. Six subjective health indicators (self-rated health, long-standing illness, vitality, mental health, long-term well-being over the last year and occurrence of health ..
- Cytogeography of Pilosella officinarum (Compositae): altitudinal and longitudinal differences in ploidy level distribution in the Czech Republic and Slovakia and the general pattern in EuropePatrik Mráz
Institute of Biology and Ecology, P J Safárik University Faculty of Science, Manesova 23, SK 041 54 Kosice, Slovakia
Ann Bot 101:59-71. 2008..data indicated a possible differentiation in the frequency of particular ploidy levels in the Czech Republic and Slovakia. Therefore, detailed sampling and ploidy level analyses were assessed to reveal a boundary of common occurrence ..
- Novel and recurrent germline alterations in the MLH1 and MSH2 genes identified in hereditary nonpolyposis colorectal cancer patients in SlovakiaK Zavodna
Laboratory of Cancer Genetics, Cancer Research Institute of Slovak Academy of Sciences, 833 91 Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Neoplasma 53:269-76. 2006..These and previous data indicate that the majority of germline point mutations and small deletions/insertions in HNPCC families in Slovakia affect the MLH1 locus.
- Novel MLH1 and MSH2 germline mutations in the first HNPCC families identified in SlovakiaZdena Bartosova
Laboratory of Cancer Genetics, Cancer Research Institute of Slovak Academy of Sciences, Bratislava, Slovakia
Hum Mutat 21:449. 2003..677G>T [p.R226L]) was found in one kindred. The clinical data and the genotypic and phenotypic evaluation of the tumors indicate that all the new alterations are pathogenic HNPCC mutations...
- Environmental contamination with polychlorinated biphenyls in the area of their former manufacture in SlovakiaA Kocan
Department of Toxic Organic Pollutants, Institute of Preventive and Clinical Medicine, Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Chemosphere 43:595-600. 2001..pollution as a consequence of the 25-year manufacture of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) in eastern Slovakia was observed...
- Alkaptonuria in Slovakia: thirty-two years of research on phenotype and genotypeStefan Srsen
Jessenius Medical Faculty, Comenius University, Thurzova 2, Martin SK 03601, Slovak Republic
Mol Genet Metab 75:353-9. 2002Research on alkaptonuria (AKU; OMIM # 230500) in Slovakia started in 1968 by the Research Laboratory (later on the Institute) for Clinical Genetics at Martin...
- Using nested RT-PCR analyses to determine the prevalence of avian influenza viruses in passerines in western Slovakia, during summer 2007Paulina Gronesova
Institute of Virology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Scand J Infect Dis 40:954-7. 2008..of different AIV subtypes, was studied in migratory waterfowl and terrestrial birds caught in western Slovakia during summer 2007. Both oropharyngeal and cloacal swabs were collected...
- An ecologic study of nitrate in municipal drinking water and cancer incidence in Trnava District, SlovakiaGabriel Gulis
Public Health Institute in Trnava, Limbova 6, Trnava, 917 09, Slovak Republic
Environ Res 88:182-7. 2002..017). There were no associations for kidney or bladder cancer. These ecologic data support the hypothesis that there is a positive association between nitrate in drinking water and non-Hodgkin lymphoma and colorectal cancer...
- Exposure to hydroxylated polychlorinated biphenyls (OH-PCBs) in the prenatal period and subsequent neurodevelopment in eastern SlovakiaHye Youn Park
Division of Epidemiology, Department of Public Health Sciences, School of Medicine, University of California Davis, Davis, California, USA
Environ Health Perspect 117:1600-6. 2009....
- Environmental arsenic exposure from a coal-burning power plant as a potential risk factor for nonmelanoma skin carcinoma: results from a case-control study in the district of Prievidza, SlovakiaBeate Pesch
Medical Institute for Environmental Hygiene at Heinrich Heine University of Düsseldorf, Dusseldorf, Germany
Am J Epidemiol 155:798-809. 2002To investigate the risk of arsenic exposure from a coal-burning power plant in Slovakia on nonmelanoma skin cancer (NMSC) development, a 1996-1999 population-based case-control study was conducted with 264 cases and 286 controls...
- A database of mitochondrial DNA hypervariable regions I and II sequences of individuals from SlovakiaIvan Lehocký
Department of Forensic Biology and DNA Analyse, Institute of Forensic Science of Police Corps, Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Forensic Sci Int Genet 2:e53-9. 2008..two hypervariable regions (HV1 and HV2) of the mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) of 374 unrelated individuals from Slovakia were amplified and sequenced...
- Characterization of a new spotted fever group rickettsia detected in Ixodes ricinus (Acari: Ixodidae) collected in SlovakiaZ Sekeyova
Unite des Rickettsies, Faculte de Medecine, CNRS UPRES, Marseille, France
J Med Entomol 37:707-13. 2000..Ixodes ricinus Slovakia (IRS) 3 and IRS4 were identified in ticks collected in northeastern and southwestern Slovakia, respectively...
- Health status of Romanies (Gypsies) in the Slovak Republic and in the neighbouring countriesE Ginter
Institute of Preventive and Clinical Medicine, Limbova 14, SK 833 01 Bratislava, Slovakia
Bratisl Lek Listy 102:479-84. 2001..The aim of this review is to react to this notice with an analysis of present situation and with presentation of data of our epidemiological investigation on health status, nutrition and lifestyle of Romanies. (Fig. 4, Ref. 35.)..
- Higher anti-hepatitis B response with combined DTPw-HBV vaccine compared with separate administration in healthy infants at 3, 4 and 5 months of age in SlovakiaV Prikazsky
Institute for Hygiene and Epidemiology, Poprad, Slovakia
Int J Clin Pract 55:156-61. 2001..Both vaccine regimens were well tolerated...
- Factors influencing the use of potentially inappropriate medication in older patients in SlovakiaM Wawruch
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Comenius University, Bratislava, Slovakia
J Clin Pharm Ther 33:381-92. 2008..Although increasing attention has been given to the evaluation of use of potentially inappropriate medication in the older European Union (EU) member countries, information on this topic from Central and Eastern Europe is scarce...
- Prevalence of diabetes mellitus and metabolic syndrome in SlovakiaMarián Mokán
National Coordinating Centre, Department of Internal Medicine I, Jessenius Faculty of Medicine, Comenius University, Kollarova 2, Martin 036 59, Slovak Republic
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 81:238-42. 2008b>Slovakia is a country with high prevalence of diabetes mellitus (DM) and coronary heart disease (CHD), but the reason of west-east gradient prevalence in Europe is not clear.
- Serum PCB concentrations in relation to locally produced food items in eastern SlovakiaDean Sonneborn
Division of Epidemiology, Department of Public Health Sciences, School of Medicine, University of California, Davis, California 95616 8638, USA
J Expo Sci Environ Epidemiol 18:581-7. 2008..During 2002-2004, women were recruited at delivery from two districts in eastern Slovakia: Michalovce with high PCB contamination from a chemical manufacturing plant, and Svidnik located 70 km to the ..
- Possible effects of environmental nitrates and toxic organochlorines on human thyroid in highly polluted areas in SlovakiaZofia Radikova
Institute of Experimental Endocrinology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Bratislava, Slovakia
Thyroid 18:353-62. 2008..pollution resulting from uncontrolled industrial and agricultural activities has occurred in several areas of Slovakia. So far, field surveys focused mainly on the thyroid have been conducted in one area polluted by nitrates and in ..
- Tick-borne encephalitis virus foci in SlovakiaMilan Labuda
Institute of Zoology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Bratislava, Slovakia
Int J Med Microbiol 291:43-7. 2002..and vertebrate hosts including humans over a period of 40 years resulted in the identification of the areas of Slovakia where TBE virus is endemic. These are concentrated to the western, southern, and eastern parts of the country...
- Socio-economic differences in health risk behaviour and attitudes towards health risk behaviour among Slovak adolescentsAndrea Geckova
Department of Social Sciences, Faculty of Sciences, PJ Safarik University, Kosice
Soz Praventivmed 47:233-9. 2002..Socio-economic differences in the frequency of smoking, alcohol consumption, drug use, physical exercise, and attitudes toward smoking were explored in a sample of Slovak adolescents (1,370 boys, 1,246 girls, mean age 15 years)...
- Health needs of the Roma population in the Czech and Slovak RepublicsI Koupilova
European Centre on Health of Societies in Transition, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK
Soc Sci Med 53:1191-204. 2001..There is a need for further research into the health of Roma people with particular emphasis on non-communicable disease and for interventions that would improve their health...
- Association between arsenic exposure from a coal-burning power plant and urinary arsenic concentrations in Prievidza District, SlovakiaUlrich Ranft
Institut für Umweltmedizinische Forschung an der Heinrich Heine Universität Düsseldorf, Dusseldorf, Germany
Environ Health Perspect 111:889-94. 2003..living in the vicinity of a coal-burning power plant with high arsenic emission in the Prievidza District, Slovakia, 548 spot urine samples were speciated for inorganic As (Asinorg), monomethylarsonic acid (MMA), dimethylarsinic ..
- [Isolation of highly divergent vaccine strains of polioviruses in Slovakia]J Pertinacová
Státny fakultný zdravotný ústav hl mesta SR Bratislavy, Bratislava
Epidemiol Mikrobiol Imunol 53:22-4. 2004April 2003 was the first time in Slovakia, when the vaccine derived poliovirus Type 2 was isolated from waste water sampled from the waste water disposal plant in Vrakun, which collects most waste from Bratislava...
- Gypsy phenylketonuria: a point mutation of the phenylalanine hydroxylase gene in Gypsy families from SlovakiaJ Kalanin
Third Department of Medicine, Institute for Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Praha, Czech Republic
Am J Med Genet 49:235-9. 1994..We analyzed the PAH loci of 65 Gypsies originating from Eastern Slovakia by a combination of PCR amplification, direct sequencing and ASO hybridization...
- Self-reported health problems of Slovak adolescentsA Geckova
Faculty of Science, Department of Humanities, Roznava, Slovak Republic
J Adolesc 24:635-45. 2001..Our findings indicate that adolescence is not such a healthy period in human life as is often considered. The Slovak Republic, a Central European country, does not differ in this respect from Western European countries...
- Laparoscopic adjustable gastric band: first experience in SlovakiaP Holeczy
Surgical Department of Railway Hospital, Bratislava, Slovakia
Obes Surg 9:198-201. 1999Until recently, surgery for obesity was not done in Slovakia. After preparation in workshops, the authors began to perform laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding. Their laparoscopic work is based on a 7-year experience in laparoscopy.
- Smoking habits in university students in SlovakiaT Baska
Institute of Epidemiology, Jessenius Faculty of Medicine, Comenius University, Sklabinska 26, 037 53 Martin, Slovak Republic
Cent Eur J Public Health 8:245-8. 2000..Goals of the study were mapping smoking habits and identifying other factors of life style including body mass index, alcohol and citrus fruit consumption in non-medical university students in Slovakia.
- Acid sphingomyelinase deficiency. Phenotype variability with prevalence of intermediate phenotype in a series of twenty-five Czech and Slovak patients. A multi-approach studyH Pavlu-Pereira
Institute of Inherited Metabolic Disorders, Prague, Czech Republic
J Inherit Metab Dis 28:203-27. 2005..It appears more common in central Europe. The visceral, rapidly progressing early fatal type has been recognized rarely so far...
- Breast cancer mortality patterns and time trends in 10 new EU member states: mortality declining in young women, but still increasing in the elderlyJerzy E Tyczynski
Unit of Descriptive Epidemiology, International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France
Int J Cancer 112:1056-64. 2004..Early detection and a shift toward more favorable stage distribution could have played the leading role for mortality decline in younger patients...
- Environmental tobacco smoke of youngsters in Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland and Slovakia--findings from the Global Youth Tobacco Survey (GYTS)Tibor Baska
Institute of Public Health, Jessenius Faculty of Medicine, Comenius University, Martin, Slovakia
Int J Public Health 52:62-6. 2007To present data on Environmental Tobacco Smoke (ETS), Global Youth Tobacco Survey (GYTS), Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland and Slovakia.
- Retrospective, multicentric study of 180 children with cytochrome C oxidase deficiencyMarek Böhm
Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
Pediatr Res 59:21-6. 2006....
- Blackbirds and song thrushes constitute a key reservoir of Borrelia garinii, the causative agent of borreliosis in Central EuropeVeronika Taragel'ová
Institute of Zoology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, 845 06 Bratislava, Slovakia
Appl Environ Microbiol 74:1289-93. 2008..More than 90% of the infections were typed as Borrelia garinii and Borrelia valaisiana. We conclude that thrushes are key players in the maintenance of these spirochete species in this region of Central Europe...
- Chlamydia, gonorrhea, and HIV-1 prevalence among five populations of women in the Czech and Slovak RepublicsK A Kacena
Division of Infectious Diseases, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Sex Transm Dis 28:356-62. 2001..and central Bohemia (n = 35), students from a northern Bohemian school (n = 217), and Gypsies from Jarovnice, Slovakia (n = 128)...
- Psychiatry in selected countries of Central and Eastern Europe: an overview of the current situationJ Füredi
First Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, National Institute of Psychiatry Budapest, Nyeki ut 10 12, 1021 Budapest, Bp Pf 50, Hungary
Acta Psychiatr Scand 114:223-31. 2006To review the current status of psychiatry in selected countries of Central and Eastern Europe: Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, and Slovenia.
- Eight novel ABCD1 gene mutations and three polymorphisms in patients with X-linked adrenoleukodystrophy: The first polymorphism causing an amino acid exchangeL Dvorakova
Institute for Inherited Metabolic Disorders, First Faculty of Medicine and General Faculty Hospital, Prague, Czech Republic
Hum Mutat 18:52-60. 2001..59 C/T in the 5'untranslated region and c.2019 C/T (F673F) in exon 10. The frequencies of these two polymorphisms, were 11/150 and 2/150 control alleles, respectively...
- Infant mortality in Central Europe: effects of transitionWitold Zatonski
The Maria Sklodowska Curie Memorial Cancer Center and Institute of Oncology, Warsaw, Poland
Gac Sanit 20:63-6. 2006..the issue of infant mortality as an important health indicator, we systematically analyzed trends in infant mortality in five central and eastern European (CEE) countries (the Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia).
- Analysis of the beta-glucocerebrosidase gene in Czech and Slovak Gaucher patients: mutation profile and description of six novel mutant allelesK Hodanova
Institute of Inherited Metabolic Disorders, Charles University, 1st Faculty of Medicine, Ke Karlovu 2 12000 Prague 2, Czech Republic
Blood Cells Mol Dis 25:287-98. 1999..The absence of the mutation 84insG that is frequently associated with severe bone disease may have contributed to the low incidence of severe bone disease in Czech and Slovak Gaucher subjects...
- Novel mutations associated with metachromatic leukodystrophy: phenotype and expression studies in nine Czech and Slovak patientsLinda Berna
Institute of Inherited Metabolic Disorders, First Faculty of Medicine, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
Am J Med Genet A 129:277-81. 2004..In contrast, the C156R substitution reduces arylsulphatase A only to 50% of wild type ASA activity. Since no other mutations were found in this patient, the contribution of this mutation to the development of disease remains unclear...
- Finance and Mental Health Services Training in Czech Republic/Central EuropeRichard M Scheffler; Fiscal Year: 2010..to continue to expand this program, which in its first five years has already expanded from the Czech Republic to Slovakia, into other countries in the Central European region that have both a) developing, middle income economies, and b)..
- Coupled gating between intracellular calcium release ch*Andrew Marks; Fiscal Year: 2004..Karol Ondrias (Institute of Molecular Physiology and Genetics, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Bratislava, Slovakia)...
- International Substance Abuse Research Training ProgramROBERT ALPERT ZUCKER; Fiscal Year: 2010..serve as the hub for links with other research centers in Poland, &with newly added sites in the Ukraine, Slovakia, &Latvia...
- Third Symposium Cell Volume & Signalling RegulationPETER LAUF; Fiscal Year: 2003..This is third in a symposia series on the topic and originated in Smolenice, Slovakia (1997) and continued in Berlin, Germany (2000). As the first of its kind in the U.S...
- Pilot for a Multicenter Case-Control Study of Pancreatic Cancer in a High Risk r*Paul Brennan; Fiscal Year: 2007..occur among US blacks and among Caucasian populations in Central Europe, in particular in Czech Republic and Slovakia. The reason for this high incidence is not known...
- M. tuberculosis Cell Wall Biogenesis; New Drugs; TB-HIVPatrick Brennan; Fiscal Year: 2005..The research will be primarily carried out at Comenius University, Faculty of Natural Sciences in Bratislava, Slovakia in collaboration with Katarina Mikusova, as an extension of the NIH grant A1-18357.
- PCBs and Otodevelopment in Eastern SlovakiaIrva Hertz Picciotto; Fiscal Year: 2008..The site in eastern Slovakia is one of widespread environmental contamination and body burdens of PCB's are among the highest in the ..
- Multicentric Pooled Analysis of Second Primary CancerPaul Brennan; Fiscal Year: 2004..g., ultraviolet light); (ii) an investigation of rare cancer types (e.g., bone cancer or sarcomas); and (iii) an investigation of second primary cancers which may be increased due to treatment of a first primary cancer (e.g., leukemia). ..
- International Lung Cancer Consortium: Pooled analysis o*Paul Brennan; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..