- Trends of obesity and underweight in older children and adolescents in the United States, Brazil, China, and Russia
Carolina Population Center, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill 27516 3997, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 75:971-7. 2002
..Few studies have used the same references across countries to examine the trends of over- and underweight in older children and adolescents...
- Estimating the prevalence of syringe-borne and sexually transmitted diseases among injection drug users in St Petersburg, Russia
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 8034, USA
Int J STD AIDS 14:697-703. 2003
Injection drug users (IDUs) are the vanguard of the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) epidemic in Russia. We sought a non-invasive method to estimate a point prevalence of HIV, hepatitis B virus (HBV), hepatitis C virus (HCV), syphilis ..
- Human subcutaneous dirofilariasis, Russia
Laura H Kramer
Universita degli Studi di Parma, Parma, Italy
Emerg Infect Dis 13:150-2. 2007
..caused by Dirofilaria repens, diagnosed from February 2003 through July 2004, in patients from Rostovon-Don, Russia. Serologic analysis showed evidence of high risk of exposure to D. repens...
- Integration of alcohol use disorders identification and management in the tuberculosis programme in Tomsk Oblast, Russia
Trini A Mathew
Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, MS 39216, USA
Eur J Public Health 19:16-8. 2009
..We developed a multidisciplinary model to manage AUDs among TB patients in Tomsk, Russia. First, we assessed current standards of care through stakeholder meetings and ethnographic work...
- Iodine deficiency, radiation dose, and the risk of thyroid cancer among children and adolescents in the Bryansk region of Russia following the Chernobyl power station accident
V V Shakhtarin
Medical Radiological Research Center of the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, Obninsk, Russia
Int J Epidemiol 32:584-91. 2003
..No epidemiological studies have been published assessing the modifying effect of iodine deficiency on radiation-induced thyroid cancer following the Chernobyl accident...
- Seasonal variation and hospital utilization for tuberculosis in Russia: hospitals as social care institutions
R A Atun
Health Centre for Health Management, Tanaka Business School, Imperial College London, South Kensington Campus, London, UK
Eur J Public Health 15:350-4. 2005
Clinical management of tuberculosis in Russia involves lengthy hospitalizations, in contrast to the recommended strategy advocated by the World Health Organization.
- Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato in Russia and neighbouring countries: high incidence of mixed isolates
, Institut Pasteur, Paris
Res Microbiol 148:691-702. 1997
A total of 365 isolates of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato from 12 major administrative territories of Russia (from St...
- Identification of Ehrlichia spp. and Borrelia burgdorferi in Ixodes ticks in the Baltic regions of Russia
A N Alekseev
Zoological Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences, St. Petersburg, Russia
J Clin Microbiol 39:2237-42. 2001
..and Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato was demonstrated among ixodid ticks collected in the Baltic regions of Russia, where Lyme borreliosis is endemic...
- Public attitudes towards smoking and tobacco control policy in Russia
Open Health Institute, Moscow, Russia
Tob Control 17:276-83. 2008
Since the political transition in 1991, Russia has been targeted intensively by the transnational tobacco industry. Already high smoking rates among men have increased further; traditionally low rates among women have more than doubled...
- Analysis of Y chromosome STR haplotypes in the European part of Russia reveals high diversities but non-significant genetic distances between populations
Department of Forensic Genetics, Institute of Legal Medicine and Forensic Sciences, Charite Universitatsmedizin, Hannoversche Strasse 6, 10115 Berlin, Germany
Int J Legal Med 122:219-23. 2008
A total of 17 Y-specific STR loci were studied in 12 districts of the European part of Russia aiming to ascertain the amount of substructure required for the construction of a representative regional database...
- Potential for alcohol policy to decrease the mortality crisis in Russia
Daria A Khaltourina
Department of Social Organization and Anti Crisis Management, Russian Academy for Civil Service by the President of Russia, Moscow, Russia
Eval Health Prof 31:272-81. 2008
Post-Soviet Russia experiences among the world's highest prevalence of alcohol-related problems, which contributes to high mortality rates in this region...
- Molecular characterization of ofloxacin-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains from Russia
Laboratory of Molecular Microbiology, St Petersburg Pasteur Institute, 197101 St Petersburg, Russia
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:2937-9. 2008
..and gyrB genes in ofloxacin- and multidrug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains circulating in northwest Russia. Comparison with spoligotyping data suggested that similar to the spread of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis, the ..
- Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis in Russia: clinical characteristics, analysis of second-line drug resistance and development of standardized therapy
Samara TB Service, Samara Oblast Dispensary, Samara, Russia
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 24:136-9. 2005
..presented here was to identify patients with multidrug resistant tuberculosis (MDRTB) in the Samara region of Russia and to analyze the susceptibility of their isolates to second-line drugs in order to develop an empirical, ..
- Variability in interpretation of chest radiographs among Russian clinicians and implications for screening programmes: observational study
Health Protection Agency National Mycobacterium Reference Unit, Department of Microbiology and Infection, Guy s, King s, and St Thomas Medical School, London
BMJ 331:379-82. 2005
..To determine variability in interpretation of chest radiographs among tuberculosis specialists, radiologists, and respiratory specialists...
- Treatment of extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis in Tomsk, Russia: a retrospective cohort study
Department of Global Health and Social Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Lancet 372:1403-9. 2008
Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains that cause untreatable drug-resistant disease are a threat worldwide. We describe the treatment, management, and outcomes of patients with extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis in Tomsk, Russia.
- High prevalence of KatG Ser315Thr substitution among isoniazid-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis clinical isolates from northwestern Russia, 1996 to 2001
Laboratory of Molecular Microbiology, St Petersburg Pasteur Institute, St Petersburg, Russia
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:1417-24. 2002
..strains of Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolated from different patients in the northwestern region of Russia from 1996 to 2001 were screened by a PCR-restriction fragment length polymorphism (RFLP) assay...
- Potential bridges of heterosexual HIV transmission from drug users to the general population in St. Petersburg, Russia: is it easy to be a young female?
The Biomedical Center, St Petersburg, Russia
J Urban Health 86:121-30. 2009
..5, CI = 1.3-9.6) were significant correlates for ever having had an IDU SP. Urgent efforts are necessary to expand HIV prevention to target the potential bridging population to prevent further transmission...
- The economic impact of chronic diseases: how do households respond to shocks? Evidence from Russia
Dele Olawale Abegunde
World Health Organization, Chronic Diseases and Health Promotion, 20 Avenue Appia, 1211 Geneva, Switzerland
Soc Sci Med 66:2296-307. 2008
..a two-part Heckit model on household level data obtained from the Living Standard Measurement Surveys (LSMS) from Russia to control for nontrivial proportion of zeros in the dependent variables, skewed distribution of expenditure data ..
- Russian mortality trends for 1991-2001: analysis by cause and region
Institute of Carcinogenesis, Cancer Research Centre, Kashirskoye shosse 24, 115478 Moscow, Russia
BMJ 327:964. 2003
To investigate trends in Russian mortality for 1991-2001 with particular reference to trends since the Russian economic crisis in 1998 and to geographical differences within Russia.
- Prison health in Russia: the larger picture
Open Health Institute, Grokholskiy Pereulok, 28, Moscow 129010, Russian Federation
J Public Health Policy 26:30-59. 2005
b>Russia, despite recent legal reforms, still has one of the highest rates of imprisonment in the world...
- The changing nature of murder in Russia
Valeriy V Chervyakov
Transnational Family Research Institute, ul Akademika Korolyova, 8, 1 479, Moscow 129515, Russian Federation
Soc Sci Med 55:1713-24. 2002
The death rate from homicide in Russia increased rapidly during the 1990 s. It is now about 20 times higher than in western Europe and is among the highest recorded anywhere in the world...
- Prevention of HIV/AIDS among injecting drug users in Russia: opportunities and barriers to scaling-up of harm reduction programmes
Institute for Health and Human Development, University of East London, UK
Health Policy 85:162-71. 2008
..to examine attitudes of Russian policy-makers and HIV stakeholders towards harm reduction (HR) scale up, focusing on the factors constraining the scale-up process...
- Distribution of Crenarchaeota representatives in terrestrial hot springs of Russia and Iceland
Anna A Perevalova
Winogradsky Institute of Microbiology, Russian Academy of Sciences, Prospekt 60 letiya Oktyabrya, 7 2, 117312 Moscow, Russia
Appl Environ Microbiol 74:7620-8. 2008
..the diversity of Crenarchaeota in terrestrial hot springs of the Kamchatka Peninsula and the Lake Baikal region (Russia) and of Iceland...
- [Molecular diagnosis and frequencies of primary hypolactasia in populations of RUSSIA and neighboring countries]
S A Borinskaia
Mol Biol (Mosk) 40:1031-6. 2006
..In the present work we determined the LCT* C/T_13910 genotypes and allele frequencies in populations from Russia. The genotype C/C frequencies varied from 36.6% for Russians to 88...
- Estimating prevalence of injecting drug use: a comparison of multiplier and capture-recapture methods in cities in England and Russia
Centre for Research on Drugs and Health Behaviour, CRDHB, Division of Primary Care and Population Sciences, Imperial College, London, UK
Drug Alcohol Rev 25:131-40. 2006
..CRC methods should be preferred as the means of estimating numbers of drug users with multiplier methods being used with caution and only where CRC is not possible...
- Prevalence of Anaplasma phagocytophilum and its coinfection with Borrelia afzelii in Ixodes ricinus and Ixodes persulcatus ticks inhabiting Tver Province (Russia) - a sympatric region for both tick species
Laboratory of Microbiology and Immunology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Chiba Institute of Science CIS, Choshi 288 0025, Japan
J Med Microbiol 57:986-91. 2008
..phagocytophilum strains to specific vector ticks or reservoir hosts in different countries and areas. These findings suggest that there is a public health threat from HGA and LB in Tver Province surrounding Moscow...
- Biodiversity of thermophilic prokaryotes with hydrolytic activities in hot springs of Uzon Caldera, Kamchatka (Russia)
Ilya V Kublanov
Winogradsky Institute of Microbiology, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russia
Appl Environ Microbiol 75:286-91. 2009
..Thus, in situ enrichment and consequent isolation showed the diversity of thermophilic prokaryotes competing for biopolymers in microbial communities of terrestrial hot springs...
- Parental smoking behaviour and effects of tobacco smoke on children's health in Finland and Russia
Timo T Hugg
South Karelia Allergy and Environment Institute, Lääkäritie 15, 55330 Tiuruniemi, Finland
Eur J Public Health 18:55-62. 2008
There is little information on potential differences in smoking behaviour of parents between Finland and Russia and on the effects of environmental tobacco smoke (ETS) exposure on allergic and respiratory diseases among Finnish and ..
- Clinical trials in Russia and Eastern Europe: recruitment and quality
Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther 41:277-80. 2003
To review the current situation of clinical trials in Russia and Eastern Europe.
- Adverse reactions among patients being treated for MDR-TB in Tomsk, Russia
S S Shin
Division of Social Medicine and Health Inequalities, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 11:1314-20. 2007
..Treatment of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB) is challenging because of the toxicity of second-line medications. Little is known about whether adverse events impact treatment outcome...
- Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of strategies to expand antiretroviral therapy in St. Petersburg, Russia
Elisa F Long
Department of Management Science and Engineering, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
AIDS 20:2207-15. 2006
To assess the effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of treating HIV-infected injection drug users (IDUs) and non-IDUs in Russia with highly active antiretroviral therapy HAART.
- Cancer incidence in Arkhangelskaja Oblast in northwestern Russia. The Arkhangelsk Cancer Registry
Institutt for samfunnsmedisin, Universitetet i Tromsø, N 9037 Tromsø, Norway
BMC Cancer 5:82. 2005
Data concerning incidence and prevalence of cancer in the different regions of Russia have traditionally not been provided on a basis that facilitated comparison with data from countries in western parts of Europe...
- Predominance of multi-drug-resistant LAM and Beijing family strains among Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates recovered from prison inmates in Tula Region, Russia
Shemyakin Ovchinikov Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry, Moscow, Russia
J Med Microbiol 55:1413-8. 2006
..isolates of Mycobacterium tuberculosis recovered from prison hospital patients in the Tula region (central Russia) during 2001 and 2002 are reported...
- Detection of members of the genera Rickettsia, Anaplasma, and Ehrlichia in ticks collected in the Asiatic part of Russia
Unité des Rickettsies CNRS UMR6020, IFR48, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de la Mediterranee, 27 Boulevard Jean Moulin, 13385 Marseille Cedex 05, France
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1078:378-83. 2006
..ticks from three genera (Dermacentor, Haemaphysalis, and Ixodes) collected from the Urals to the Far East of Russia were tested by PCR and sequencing for the presence of spotted fever rickettsiae, anaplasmae, and ehrlichiae...
- Drinking alcohol surrogates among clients of an alcohol-misuser treatment clinic in Novosibirsk, Russia
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, London, UK
Subst Use Misuse 44:1821-32. 2009
..The study limitations are described, and suggestions for future research are made...
- [Population identification of Helicobacter pilory isolates from Russia]
K T Momynaliev
Genetika 41:1434-7. 2005
Using multilocus sequence typing (MLST), 22 Helicobacter pylori isolates from Russia have been characterized. All of the Russian strains were assigned to a single population, hpEurope.
- Quality of hospital care for children in Kazakhstan, Republic of Moldova, and Russia: systematic observational assessment
Centre for International Child Health, Department of Paediatrics, University of Melbourne, Royal Children s Hospital, Parkville, Victoria, 3052, Australia
Lancet 367:919-25. 2006
..Major concerns about the quality of basic hospital care for children have been raised in developing countries, but no formal assessment applying international standards has been done in the Commonwealth of Independent States...
- Psychological distress, gender, and health lifestyles in Belarus, Kazakhstan, Russia, and Ukraine
William C Cockerham
University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA
Soc Sci Med 63:2381-94. 2006
..examines the relationship between psychological distress, gender, and health lifestyles in Belarus, Kazakhstan, Russia, and Ukraine...
- Familial hypercholesterolemia in St-Petersburg: the known and novel mutations found in the low density lipoprotein receptor gene in Russia
Faina M Zakharova
Department of Molecular Genetics, Institute of Experimental Medicine, St Petersburg, Russia
BMC Med Genet 6:6. 2005
..Despite thirteen different mutations of the LDL receptor gene were reported from Russia prior to 2003, the whole spectrum of disease-causing gene alterations in this country is poorly known and requires ..
- A substantial transmission bottleneck among newly and recently HIV-1-infected injection drug users in St Petersburg, Russia
Alexey E Masharsky
Biomedical Center, State Research Institute of Highly Pure Biopreparations, St Petersburg, Russia
J Infect Dis 201:1697-702. 2010
..of HIV-1 env to determine the genotypic characteristics of virus among IDUs with acute infection in St Petersburg, Russia. Our results indicate that a single variant was transmitted in a majority of cases (9 of 13 participants), which ..
- Health service providers' perceptions of barriers to tuberculosis care in Russia
Department of Public Health and Policy, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK
Health Policy Plan 21:265-74. 2006
..to explore health care providers' perceptions of existing barriers to access to TB services in Samara Oblast in Russia. Six focus group discussions were conducted with physicians and nurses from facilities in urban and rural areas...
- Genetic variability of Crimean-Congo haemorrhagic fever virus in Russia and Central Asia
State Research Center of Virology and Biotechnology Vector, Koltsovo, Novosibirsk Region 630559, Russia
J Gen Virol 84:1199-206. 2003
Hyalomma marginatum ticks (449 pools, 4787 ticks in total) collected in European Russia and Dermacentor niveus ticks (100 pools, 1100 ticks in total) collected in Kazakhstan were screened by ELISA for the presence of Crimean-Congo ..
- At Baltic crossroads: a molecular snapshot of Mycobacterium tuberculosis population diversity in Kaliningrad, Russia
Laboratory of Molecular Microbiology, St Petersburg Pasteur Institute, St Petersburg, Russia
FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 55:13-22. 2009
..the Russian Federation; it includes an enclave on the Baltic Sea inside the European Union separated from mainland Russia by Lithuania and Poland...
- Binge drinking and violence against intimate partners in Russia
Aleksandra V Lysova
Department of Psychology and Social Sciences, Far Eastern National University, Vladivostok, Russia
Aggress Behav 34:416-27. 2008
..However, other alternative mediation and moderation models for the relationships between binge drinking, IPV perpetration, and ATSB could not be ruled out with this one-wave correlational study...
- Impact of drug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis on treatment outcome of culture-positive cases of tuberculosis in the Archangel oblast, Russia, in 1999
O S Toungoussova
Department of General Practice and Community Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo, PO Box 1130 Blindern, 0317 Oslo, Norway
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 23:174-9. 2004
..study was to evaluate the outcome of treatment of culture-positive cases of tuberculosis registered in Archangel, Russia, in 1999, and to analyse the influence of Mycobacterium tuberculosis drug resistance on treatment outcome...
- Genetic variation in the enigmatic Altaian Kazakhs of South-Central Russia: insights into Turkic population history
Department of Anthropology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6398, USA
Am J Phys Anthropol 136:278-93. 2008
..The Altaian Kazakhs, a Turkic speaking group, now reside in the southern part of the Altai Republic in south-central Russia. According to historical accounts, they are one of several ethnic and geographical subdivisions of the Kazakh ..
- Molecular epidemiology and drug resistance of widespread genotypes of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in northwestern Russia
A A Baranov
Department of Phthisiopulmonology, Northern State Medical University, Archangel, Russia
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 13:1288-93. 2009
Four administrative territories (Archangel Oblast, Murmansk Oblast, Republic of Karelia, Republic of Komi) in the northwestern federal region of Russia.
- Mycobacterium tuberculosis Beijing genotype in Russia: in search of informative variable-number tandem-repeat loci
Laboratory of Molecular Microbiology, St Petersburg Pasteur Institute, St Petersburg 197101, Russia
J Clin Microbiol 46:3576-84. 2008
The Beijing genotype is a globally spread lineage of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. In Russia, these strains constitute half of the local population of M...
- Depressive symptoms in urban population samples in Russia, Poland and the Czech Republic
International Centre for Health and Society, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, 1 19 Torrington Place, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Br J Psychiatry 188:359-65. 2006
Relatively little is known about depression in countries that were formerly part of the Soviet Union, especially Russia.
- Prevalence and molecular epidemiology of CTX-M extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing Escherichia coli and Klebsiella pneumoniae in Russian hospitals
Institute of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, Smolensk State Medical Academy, Smolensk 214019, Russia
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 47:3724-32. 2003
..This study provides further evidence of the global dissemination of CTX-M type ESBLs and emphasizes the need for their epidemiological monitoring...
- Trends in alcohol intake by education and marital status in urban population in Russia between the mid 1980s and the mid 1990s
Institute of Internal Medicine, Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, Novosibirsk, Russia
Alcohol Alcohol 39:64-9. 2004
We investigated changes in the distribution of alcohol consumption by education and marital status in Russia during the period of societal transformation after 1990...
- Frequency of recurrence among MDR-tB cases 'successfully' treated with standardised short-course chemotherapy
G B Migliori
WHO Collaborating Centre for Tuberculosis and Lung Diseases, Fondazione Salvatore Maugeri, Care and Research Institute, Tradate, Italy
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 6:858-64. 2002
..Ivanovo Oblast, Russian Federation, 300 km north-east of Moscow, where a pilot DOTS TB control programme was implemented in October 1995...
- Prevalence of HIV, hepatitis C and syphilis among injecting drug users in Russia: a multi-city study
Centre for Research on Drugs and Health Behaviour and Unit for International Public Health and Development, Imperial College London, UK
Addiction 101:252-66. 2006
To estimate the prevalence of HIV, hepatitis C virus (HCV) and syphilis in injecting drug users (IDUs) in Russia.
- A comparison of international references for the assessment of child and adolescent overweight and obesity in different populations
Department of Human Nutrition, University of Illinois, Chicago 60612, USA
Eur J Clin Nutr 56:973-82. 2002
..To compare different references assessing child and adolescent overweight and obesity in different populations...
- Ecosystem remodelling among vertebrates at the Permian-Triassic boundary in Russia
M J Benton
Department of Earth Sciences, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 1RJ, UK
Nature 432:97-100. 2004
..Here we document the nature of the event in Russia in a comprehensive survey of 675 specimens of amphibians and reptiles from 289 localities spanning 13 successive ..
- Barriers to sustainable tuberculosis control in the Russian Federation health system
R A Atun
Centre for Health Management, Tanaka Business School, Imperial College London, London, England
Bull World Health Organ 83:217-23. 2005
..In order for the control programme to be sustainable, the health system will need to be changed to enable services to be reconfigured so that incentives are created to reward improvements in efficiency and outcomes...
- Health lifestyles in Russia
W C Cockerham
Department of Sociology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 35294 3350, USA
Soc Sci Med 51:1313-24. 2000
..data from the nationwide Russian Longitudinal Monitoring Survey (RLMS), this paper analyzes health lifestyles in Russia. Heavy alcohol use and smoking, a high-fat diet, and lack of leisure-time exercise are the principal culprits in ..
- Explosive spread and high prevalence of HIV infection among injecting drug users in Togliatti City, Russia
Department of Social Science and Medicine, Imperial College Faculty of Medicine, University of London, London, UK
AIDS 16:F25-31. 2002
..To establish the prevalence of antibodies to HIV (anti-HIV) and associated risk factors among injecting drug users (IDU) in Togliatti City, Samara Oblast, Russian Federation...
- Hazardous alcohol drinking and premature mortality in Russia: a population based case-control study
David A Leon
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Lancet 369:2001-9. 2007
..The reason for the low life expectancy in Russian men and large fluctuations in mortality are unknown. We investigated the contribution of alcohol, and hazardous drinking in particular, to male mortality in a typical Russian city...
- Use of complementary and alternative medicine by physicians in St. Petersburg, Russia
Department of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University of Utah Health Sciences Center, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
J Altern Complement Med 14:315-9. 2008
..Interest in complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) is increasing worldwide, although relatively little is known of physician use of CAM, and there are no quantitative reports of CAM use by Russian physicians...
- Multiple genotypes and subtypes of hepatitis B and C viruses in Belarus: similarities with Russia and western European influences
C M Olinger
Institute of Immunology, National Public Health Laboratory, Luxembourg, Luxembourg, USA
Clin Microbiol Infect 14:575-81. 2008
..6% vs. 43.1%). The relative prevalence of HBV and HCV genotypes in Belarus corresponded to the prevalence in Russia, although with a clear European influence that reflected the socio-political context of the country.
- Factors behind the increase in cardiovascular mortality in Russia: apolipoprotein AI and B distribution in the Arkhangelsk study 2000
Institute of Community Medicine, Medical Faculty, University of Tromsø, N 9037 Tromsø, Norway
Clin Chem 50:346-54. 2004
Cardiovascular mortality is markedly higher in Russia than in Western Europe and the US. Little is known about indicators of atherosclerotic risk in the Russian population...
- Spread of drug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains of the Beijing genotype in the Archangel Oblast, Russia
Olga S Toungoussova
Division of Infectious Disease Control, Norwegian Institute of Public Health Department of International Health, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
J Clin Microbiol 40:1930-7. 2002
..strains of Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolated from patients with pulmonary tuberculosis in the Archangel Oblast, Russia, in 1998 and 1999 were studied by using restriction fragment length polymorphism (RFLP) analysis with the IS6110 ..
- Alcohol consumption and binge drinking in Novosibirsk, Russia, 1985-95
Institute of Internal Medicine, Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, Vladimirovsky Sp 2A, 630003 Novosibirsk, Russia
Addiction 96:987-95. 2001
..This is not consistent with trends in mortality. Shorter-term fluctuations between surveys, however, cannot be excluded...
- Drug resistance of Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains isolated from patients with pulmonary tuberculosis in Archangels, Russia
Department of International Health, The Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo, Blindern, Norway
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 6:406-14. 2002
The Archangels oblast, Russia, 1998-2000.
- Polymorphisms of the serotonin transporter gene (5-HTTLPR, A/G SNP in 5-HTTLPR, and STin2 VNTR) and their relation to personality traits in healthy individuals from Russia
Anastasiya V Kazantseva
Institute of Biochemistry and Genetics, Ufa Scientific Center, Russian Academy of Sciences, Prospekt Oktyabrya, Ufa, Russia
Psychiatr Genet 18:167-76. 2008
- D2: major subgenotype of hepatitis B virus in Russia and the Baltic region
Department of Virology, National Institute for Health Development, Tallinn, Estonia
J Gen Virol 89:1829-39. 2008
..An earlier introduction of D3 compared with D2 was supported by its higher intra-subgenotype divergence, while the lower divergence within D1 is probably due to a more recent emergence...
- HIV seroprevalence in street youth, St. Petersburg, Russia
Dmitry M Kissin
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30341, USA
AIDS 21:2333-40. 2007
..The purpose of this study was to assess HIV seroprevalence among street youth in St Petersburg and to describe social, sexual, and behavioral characteristics associated with HIV infection...
- PCR-based methodology for detecting multidrug-resistant strains of Mycobacterium tuberculosis Beijing family circulating in Russia
Laboratory of Molecular Microbiology, St Petersburg Pasteur Institute, 14 Mira Street, 197101 St Petersburg, Russia
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 22:342-8. 2003
..The Beijing genotype of Mycobacterium tuberculosis has been identified in 40-50% of the clinical isolates studied in Russia during the last decade...
- Simultaneous recruitment of drug users and men who have sex with men in the United States and Russia using respondent-driven sampling: sampling methods and implications
Martin Y Iguchi
RAND Corporation, 1776 Main Street, Santa Monica, CA 90407, USA
J Urban Health 86:5-31. 2009
..Petersburg, Russia. SATHCAP employed respondent-driven sampling (RDS) and a dual high-risk group sampling approach that relied on ..
- Risk factors for mortality among adult patients with newly diagnosed tuberculosis in Samara, Russia
E V Kourbatova
Samara State Medical University, Samara, Russia
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 10:1224-30. 2006
Five out-patient tuberculosis (TB) clinics and one in-patient TB hospital in Samara, Russia.
- Retrospective view of airborne dust levels in workplace of a chrysotile mine in Ural, Russia
S V Kashansky
Ekaterinburg Medical Research Center for Prevention and Health Protection of Industrial Workers, Ekaterinburg, Russia
Ind Health 39:51-6. 2001
..An excessive dust level remains, despite the dust content level decrease, at the work sites of oversized lump drillers and unloaders, and oncopathology heightened risk remains in these occupational groups, as a result...
- Patterns of suicide mortality in Russia
William Alex Pridemore
Department of Sociology, University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK 73019, USA
Suicide Life Threat Behav 33:132-50. 2003
While Russia perennially has one of the highest suicide rates in the world, researchers had little access to valid data during the Soviet era to examine this issue...
- Syphilis among intravenous drug-using population: epidemiological situation in St Petersburg, Russia
Arman F Karapetyan
Pavlov State Medical University of St Petersburg, Russia
Int J STD AIDS 13:618-23. 2002
..A study was carried out in collaboration with a non-governmental organization, Foundation 'Vozvrastcheniye'...
- Permafrost and infrastructure in the usa Basin (Northeast European Russia): possible impacts of global warming
Soil Science Department, Institute of Biology, Komi Sciencr Center, Syktyvkar, Russia
Ambio 33:289-94. 2004
..between permafrost conditions and the distribution of infrastructure in the Usa Basin, Northeast European Russia, is analyzed...
- Epidemiological networks and drug resistance of HIV type 1 in Krasnoyarsk region, Russia
Olga A Rumyantseva
Krasnoyarsk Regional AIDS Center, Krasnoyarsk, Russia
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 25:931-6. 2009
To study the molecular epidemiology of HIV-1 in Krasnoyarsk region, Russia, where HIV-1 has spread rapidly since 2000, we obtained pol sequences from individuals living in this region (n = 67) as well as in the geographically closely ..
- [Epidemiological characteristics of multiple sclerosis in Russia]
E I Gusev
Zh Nevrol Psikhiatr Im S S Korsakova . 2002
An increase in multiple sclerosis (MS) frequency was registered in several countries including Russia. This may be associated with better MS diagnosis and treatment, better data collection and real increase in MS incidence...
- Building models for the relationship between attitudes toward suicide and suicidal behavior: based on data from general population surveys in Sweden, Norway, and Russia
Ellinor Salander Renberg
Department of Clinical Sciences, Division of Psychiatry, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Suicide Life Threat Behav 38:661-75. 2008
..Representative samples from the general population were approached in Sweden, Norway, and Russia with the Attitudes Toward Suicide (ATTS) questionnaire...
- Doctors' authoritarianism in end-of-life treatment decisions. A comparison between Russia, Sweden and Germany
Clinic for Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University of Rostock, Germany
J Med Ethics 27:186-91. 2001
..hundred and thirty-five physicians were surveyed in Sweden (UmeÃ¥), Germany (Rostock and Neubrandenburg), and in Russia (Arkhangelsk) by a questionnaire...
- Temporal trends in the HIV-1 epidemic in Russia: predominance of subtype A
Aleksei F Bobkov
The D I Ivanovsky Institute of Virology, Moscow, Russia
J Med Virol 74:191-6. 2004
..However, since 1997, the HIV-1 epidemic has affected an increasing number of geographic regions in Russia. This study was undertaken to survey the prevailing genetic variants and to estimate the current proportions of ..
- Performance of the alcohol use disorders identification test among tuberculosis patients in Russia
The University of Mississippi Medical Center, Infectious Diseases, 2500 North State Street, Jackson, Mississippi, USA
Subst Use Misuse 45:598-612. 2010
..Our findings support the use of the AUDIT as a screening instrument among Russian individuals seeking primary care. We discuss implications, limitations, and future research...
- Molecular faunistics of accidental infections of Gyrodactylus Nordmann, 1832 (Monogenea) parasitic on salmon Salmo salar L. and brown trout Salmo trutta L. in NW Russia
Marek S Zietara
Laboratory of Comparative Biochemistry, Gdańsk University Biological Station, Ornitologów 26, 80 680, Gdansk, Poland
Syst Parasitol 69:123-35. 2008
..These hypotheses deserve further testing...
- Colorectal cancer in Russia
Russian State Medical University, Moscow, Russian Federation
Eur J Health Econ 10:S91-8. 2010
..and official government documents, this paper covers three important issues concerning colorectal cancer (CRC) in Russia: (1) CRC epidemiology, (2) screening for CRC, (3) medical care for patients with CRC...
- Heavy metals in bottom sediments of Lake Umbozero in Murmansk Region, Russia
Radiation Research Division, Risoe National Laboratory for Sustainable Energy, Technical University of Denmark, P O Box 49, 4000, Roskilde, Denmark
Environ Monit Assess 161:93-105. 2010
..Indicative of their potential higher lability, Mn, U, and Zn were generally found in exchangeable fraction; as also Mn and U extensively in the acid-soluble fraction...
- Cost-effectiveness of voluntary HIV screening in Russia
S P Tole
Center for Primary Care and Outcomes Research, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305 6019, USA
Int J STD AIDS 20:46-51. 2009
b>Russia has one of the world's fastest growing HIV epidemics, and HIV screening has been widespread. Whether such screening is an effective use of resources is unclear...
- Life span and disability: a cross sectional comparison of Russian and Swedish community based data
International Centre for Health and Society, University College London, London WC1E 6BT
BMJ 329:767. 2004
To compare levels of disability (in terms of physical function and self rated health) among middle aged and elderly people in Russia and Sweden, a country with high life expectancy.
- Alcohol use in adolescents from northern Russia: the role of the social context
Roman A Koposov
Institute of Psychiatry, Northern State Medical University, Arkhangelsk, Russia
Alcohol Alcohol 37:297-303. 2002
Drinking alcohol is an essential and commonplace part of life in Russia. Alcohol-related problems in the general population and among adolescents in particular has become a major public health concern...
- Intra- and intercompartmental associations between levels of organochlorines in maternal plasma, cord plasma and breast milk, and lead and cadmium in whole blood, for indigenous peoples of Chukotka, Russia
E Eik Anda
Institute of Community Medicine, University of Tromsø, N 9037, Tromsø, Norway
J Environ Monit 9:884-93. 2007
..of PTSs coincided with those indicated in several AMAP publications from Chukotka and other areas of northern Russia. The correlations of PTS concentrations between the three body fluid compartments exceeded the minimum statistical ..
- Injecting equipment sharing among injecting drug users in Togliatti City, Russian Federation: maximizing the protective effects of syringe distribution
The Centre for Research on Drugs and Health Behaviour and Department for International Development Knowledge Programme in HIV AIDS, Imperial College Faculty of Medicine, University of London, United Kingdom
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 35:293-300. 2004
To compare risk factors for injecting equipment sharing among injecting drug users (IDUs) in Togliatti City, Russia.
- Anaerobic, alkaliphilic, saccharolytic bacterium Alkalibacter saccharofermentans gen. nov., sp. nov. from a soda lake in the Transbaikal region of Russia
Elena S Garnova
Laboratory of Relict Microbial Communities, Institute of Microbiology, Russian Academy of Science RAS, Prospect 60 Let Oktyabrya 7 2, 117312, Moscow, Russia
Extremophiles 8:309-16. 2004
..as a saccharolytic component from the cellulolytic community of alkaline Lake Nizhnee Beloe (Transbaikal region, Russia), a lake with low salt concentration...
- Thyroid cancer incidence among adolescents and adults in the Bryansk region of Russia following the Chernobyl accident
V K Ivanov
Medical Radiological Research Centre of Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, Obninsk, Russia
Health Phys 84:46-60. 2003
Thyroid cancer incidence in the Bryansk region, the most contaminated area of Russia after the Chernobyl accident, is analyzed for the residents aged 15-69 y at the time of the accident (about 1 million persons according to the 1989 ..
- [Polymorphism of Y-chromosomal microsatellites in Russian populations from the northern and southern Russia as exemplified by the populations of Kursk and Arkhangel'sk Oblast]
A V Khrunin
Genetika 41:1125-31. 2005
..samples from two geographically isolated regions (Arkhangelsk oblast and Kursk oblast) of the European part of Russia. The populations examined demonstrated substantial differences in the distribution of the DYS392 (P = 0...
- An integrated approach to rapid diagnosis of tuberculosis and multidrug resistance using liquid culture and molecular methods in Russia
National Mycobacterium Reference Laboratory, Institute of Cell and Molecular Sciences, Queen Mary College, Barts and the London School of Medicine, University of London, London, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 4:e7129. 2009
To analyse the feasibility, cost and performance of rapid tuberculosis (TB) molecular and culture systems, in a high multidrug-resistant TB (MDR TB) middle-income region (Samara, Russia) and provide evidence for WHO policy change.
- Drug utilisation in outpatient children. A comparison among Tenerife, Valencia, and Barcelona (Spain), Toulouse (France), Sofia (Bulgaria), Bratislava (Slovakia) and Smolensk (Russia)
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, School of Medicine, University of La Laguna, 38071 La Laguna, Tenerife, Spain
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 60:127-34. 2004
..Scarce information about comparative diagnostic and therapeutic patterns in paediatric outpatients of different countries is found in the literature...
- Binge drinking and unsafe sex: a study of narcology hospital patients from St. Petersburg, Russia
Department of Social Behavioral Sciences, Boston University of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Subst Abus 30:213-22. 2009
..01, ns). Findings document substantial HIV/STD risk and prevalence among Russian narcology patients, but no link between binge drinking and unprotected sex in this population, possibly due to very low rates of condom use generally...
- Laboratory diagnosis of Neisseria gonorrhoeae in St Petersburg, Russia: inventory, performance characteristics and recommended optimisations
National Reference Laboratory for Pathogenic Neisseria, Department of Clinical Microbiology, Orebro University Hospital, SE 701 85 Orebro, Sweden
Sex Transm Infect 82:41-4. 2006
..the laboratory diagnosis of Neisseria gonorrhoeae at five laboratories in St Petersburg and Leningradskaya Oblast, Russia, in 2004, and to recommend optimisations for an increased adherence to international evidence based ..
- Spread of vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium in two haematological centres in Russia
Anna N Brilliantova
National Research Center for Hematology, Moscow, Russia
Int J Antimicrob Agents 35:177-81. 2010
..diversity of vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium isolated from patients with haematological malignancies in Russia. Pulsed-field gel electrophoresis (PFGE) typing of 129 vanA-positive E...
- ADHD symptoms and associated psychopathology in a community sample of adolescents from the European north of Russia
Child Study Center, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 7900, USA
J Atten Disord 12:54-63. 2008
To assess the prevalence of ADHD symptoms and their relationship to psychopathology in adolescents from the European North of Russia.
- Evolution of telemedicine in Russia: the influence of the space program on modern telemedicine programs
Charles R Doarn
Medical Informatics and Technology Applications Consortium, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia 23298, USA
Telemed J E Health 9:103-9. 2003
Telemedicine education and application throughout Russia has its roots in Russia's space program. The concepts of telemedicine have evolved during the course of 40 years of space exploration...
- Childhood exposure due to the Chernobyl accident and thyroid cancer risk in contaminated areas of Belarus and Russia
GSF Institute of Radiation Protection, Neuherberg, Germany
Br J Cancer 80:1461-9. 1999
..05 Gy the risk was statistically significantly elevated. Dependencies of risks on age-at-exposure and on gender are consistent with findings after external exposures...
- Association between year of birth and cognitive functions in Russia and the Czech Republic: cross-sectional results of the HAPIEE study
MRC Unit for Lifelong Health, University College London, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Neuroepidemiology 33:231-9. 2009
To assess differences in cognitive functions by year of birth in Russia and the Czech Republic.