- Total mercury in mushrooms and underlying soil substrate from the Borecka Forest, Northeastern Poland
Department of Environmental Chemistry and Ecotoxicology, University of Gdansk, 18 Sobieskiego Str, PL 80 952 Gdansk, Poland
Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 42:145-54. 2002
..The values of the cap/stalk Hg quotient were greatest for larch bolete (Suillus flavus) collected from the Borecka Forest (4.4 +/- 1.3) and for honey mushroom (2.7 +/- 0.9) from the adjacent area...
- Risk factors for obesity development in school children from south-eastern Poland
Regional Hospital No 2, Lwowska 60, Rzeszow
Ann Agric Environ Med 15:281-5. 2008
..and parental factors affecting odds for development of obesity in school-age children from south-eastern Poland (SEP). 2,182 boys and 2,066 girls from randomly selected elementary schools in SEP were involved in this study...
- BRCA1-associated breast and ovarian cancer risks in Poland: no association with commonly studied polymorphisms
Pomeranian Medical University, Szczecin, Poland
Breast Cancer Res Treat 119:201-11. 2010
..Thus, it appears that these polymorphisms do not influence disease risk in Polish women carrying one of the three common BRCA1 founder mutations...
- ICP/MS and ICP/AES elemental analysis (38 elements) of edible wild mushrooms growing in Poland
Department of Environmental Chemistry and Ecotoxicology, University of Gdansk, Poland
Food Addit Contam 18:503-13. 2001
..in 18 species of wild edible mushrooms collected from several sites in Pomorskie Voivodeship in northern Poland in 1994...
- Histopathological changes in the liver, kidneys, and testes of bank voles environmentally exposed to heavy metal emissions from the steelworks and zinc smelter in Poland
Faculty of Food Technology, Agricultural University, ul Balicka 122, 30 149 Krakow, Poland
Environ Res 96:72-8. 2004
..The Borecka forest in the north of Poland served as a control area...
- Archival data on wild food plants used in Poland in 1948
High School of Humanities and Economics in Łódź, Department of Humanities, ul, Rewolucji 1905 r, nr 64, 90 222 Łódź, Poland
J Ethnobiol Ethnomed 4:4. 2008
In 1948, Professor Józef Gajek initiated a detailed census of the wild edible plants used in Poland. The questionnaires were collected by correspondents of the Polish Folklore Society in 95 localities throughout Poland...
- Seroprevalence and isolation of Toxoplasma gondii from free-range chickens in Ghana, Indonesia, Italy, Poland, and Vietnam
J P Dubey
U S Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Animal and Natural Resources Institute, Animal Parasitic Diseases Laboratory, Building 1001, Beltsville, Maryland 20705 2350, USA
J Parasitol 94:68-71. 2008
..The prevalence of T. gondii in free-range chickens from Ghana, Indonesia, Italy, Poland, and Vietnam was determined using the modified agglutination test (MAT). Antibodies to T...
- Mercury in wild mushrooms and underlying soil substrate from the great lakes land in Poland
Department of Environmental Chemistry and Ecotoxicology, University of Gdansk, 18 Sobieskiego Str, PL 80 952 Gdansk, Poland
J Environ Monit 4:473-6. 2002
..wild mushrooms and underlying soil samples collected in a virgin landscape of Augustowska Forest in northeastern Poland in 1997-98 were analyzed for total mercury to evaluate the status of contamination and usefulness of higher ..
- Molecular characterisation of streptomycin-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains isolated in Poland
Centre for Medical Biology, Polish Academy of Sciences, Lodz, Poland
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 8:1032-5. 2004
Primary drug resistance of Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains in Poland increased two-fold between 1997 and 2000...
- Prevalence of asthma with aspirin hypersensitivity in the adult population of Poland
Department of Medicine, Jagiellonian University School of Medicine, Krakow, Poland
Allergy 58:1064-6. 2003
..This is a distinct clinical syndrome called aspirin-induced asthma (AIA). The prevalence of AIA among asthmatic patients in Poland has not been previously assessed.
- The content of elements in rainwater and its relation to the frequency of hospitalization for arterial hypertension, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and psoriasis in Opole Voivodship, Poland during 2000-2002
Faculty of Physical Education and Physiotherapy, Institute of Technology, Opole, Prószkowska Street 76, 45 758, Opole, Poland
Biol Trace Elem Res 123:270-6. 2008
..In cases of hospitalization for psoriasis, a correlation was revealed with such elements as potassium, ammonium nitrogen, and phosphorus...
- Occurrence of Ureaplasma parvum and Ureaplasma urealyticum in women with cervical dysplasia in Katowice, Poland
Alicja M Ekiel
Department of Medical Microbiology, Medical University of Silesia, Katowice, Poland
J Korean Med Sci 24:1177-81. 2009
..and high grade squamous intraepithelial lesions (HSIL), compared to women with normal cytology living in Katowice, Poland. Two sterile swabs were used to obtain material from the posterior vaginal fornix of 143 women with squamous ..
- Phenotypic and molecular analysis of penicillin-nonsusceptible Streptococcus pneumoniae isolates in Poland
Department of Molecular Microbiology, National Institute of Public Health, ul Chełmska 30 34, 00 725 Warsaw, Poland
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:40-7. 2007
..In this study, using 887 surveillance pneumococcal isolates recovered in Poland from 1998 to 2002, we observed the increase in penicillin nonsusceptibility from 8.7% to 20.3%...
- Incidence and risk factors for pulmonary tuberculosis among the poor in the northern region of Poland
Niepubliczny Zakład Opieki Zdrowotnej NZOZ Pantamed Ltd, Olsztyn, Poland
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 12:430-5. 2008
..Identification of such risk groups should be the basis for prevention programmes aimed at containing the spread of the disease...
- Bird schistosomes of wildfowl in the Czech Republic and Poland
Charles University in Prague, Faculty of Science, Department of Parasitology, Vinicna 7, 128 44 Prague 2, Czech Republic
Folia Parasitol (Praha) 54:88-93. 2007
In 2005, we dissected 102 wildfowl from the Czech Republic and 73 wildfowl from Poland including representatives of Anseriformes, Gruiformes and Gaviiformes...
- Impact of food advertising on food purchases by students in primary and secondary schools in south-eastern Poland
Institute of Physiotherapy, University of Rzeszow, St Warszawska 26a, 35 205 Rzeszow, Poland
Public Health Nutr 11:978-81. 2008
..The aim of the present study was to determine the impact of food advertising in primary and secondary schools on the food purchasing habits of children...
- Prevalence and estimated incidence of Toxoplasma infection among pregnant women in Poland: a decreasing trend in the younger population
Department of Fetal Maternal Medicine and Gynecology, Polish Mother s Memorial Hospital Research Institute, Łódź, Poland
Clin Microbiol Infect 12:913-7. 2006
..0% (p 0.02). The most important contributory factor to this decline was the group of women aged 19-29 years, among whom seroprevalence decreased significantly (p 0.007). Specific IgM was found in 244 (4.9%) women...
- Towards a multidisciplinary and integrated strategy in the assessment of adverse health effects related to air pollution: the case study of Cracow (Poland) and asthma
Jean Paul Oudinet
Centre de Biogéographie Ecologie FRE 2545 CNRS, Maison de la Recherche, Université Paris Sorbonne, Paris IV, 28 rue Serpente, 75006 Paris, France
Environ Pollut 143:278-84. 2006
..Such study would help for the establishment of a sustainable development in urban areas that can maintain the integrity of air quality and preserve human health...
- The timing of natural menopause in Poland and associated factors
Institute of Anthropology, The Adam Mickiewicz University, Collegium Biologicum, Umultowska 89, 61 614 Poznan, Poland
Maturitas 57:139-53. 2007
- The impact of income, education and health on lifestyle in a large urban population of Poland (Cindi programme)
Regional Health Authority, Lodz, Poland
Int J Occup Med Environ Health 17:393-401. 2004
The objective of our study was to examine the impact of income, education chronic diseases and self-rated health on health behavior (smoking, alcohol consumption, physical activity, diet) in a large urban population of Poland.
- Molecular characterization of lentiviruses from goats from Poland based on gag gene sequence analysis
Department of Biochemistry, National Veterinary Research Institute, 24 100 Pulawy, Poland
Comp Immunol Microbiol Infect Dis 30:211-23. 2007
..In this study, we described the molecular characterization of lentiviruses isolated from seropositive goats from Poland. We cloned and sequenced a fragment from the gag gene covering part of the coding sequences for the matrix (MA) ..
- Prevalence of Babesia canis, Borrelia afzelii, and Anaplasma phagocytophilum infection in hard ticks removed from dogs in Warsaw (central Poland)
Division of Parasitology and Parasitic Diseases, Department of Preclinical Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Warsaw Agricultural University, Ciszewskiego 8, 02 786 Warsaw, Poland
Vet Parasitol 153:139-42. 2008
..This work is the first detection of B. afzelii and A. phagocytophilum in ticks from Warsaw, and the first survey for the prevalence of B. canis, B. afzelii, and A. phagocytophilum in ticks in central Poland.
- Abundance of wild rodents, ticks and environmental risk of Lyme borreliosis: a longitudinal study in an area of Mazury Lakes district of Poland
Department of Parasitology, Institute of Zoology, University of Warsaw, Miecznikowa 1, 02 096 Warsaw, Poland
Ann Agric Environ Med 13:295-300. 2006
..of a longitudinal epidemiological survey in two contrasting habitats in an area of the Mazury Lakes district of Poland indicate that both host and vector (Ixodes ricinus) densities, may be the most important risk factors for the tick-..
- Changes in BMI and the prevalence of overweight and obesity in children and adolescents in Cracow, Poland, 1971-2000
Department of Anthropology, Academy of Physical Education, Av Jana Pawla II 78, 31 571 Krakow, Poland
Econ Hum Biol 5:370-8. 2007
..obesity, using International Obesity Task Force criteria, in three cohorts of children and youth living in Cracow, Poland, in 1971, 1983 and 2000. Rates of overweight and obesity doubled among boys and girls, from 7.5% and 6...
- Predictors of poststroke dementia: results of a hospital-based study in poland
Department of Neurology, Jagiellonian University, Medical College, Cracow, Poland
Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 21:328-34. 2006
..study was to determine the risk factors of poststroke dementia (PSD) in a cohort of consecutive stroke patients in Poland. A standard stroke evaluation was conducted on admission in 220 consecutive patients with ischemic/hemorrhagic ..
- Changing mortality patterns in East and West Germany and Poland. II: short-term trends during transition and in the 1990s
European Centre on Health of Societies in Transition, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT
J Epidemiol Community Health 54:899-906. 2000
..trends in life expectancy at birth and age and cause specific patterns of mortality in the former German Democratic Republic (GDR) and Poland during political transition and throughout the 1990s in both parts of Germany and in Poland.
- PCR detection of granulocytic Anaplasma and Babesia in Ixodes ricinus ticks and birds in west-central Poland
Departament of Genetics, Faculty of Biology, Szczecin University, al Piastow 40b, 71 065 Szczecin, Poland
Ann Agric Environ Med 13:21-3. 2006
..In spite of the high level of infestation of birds by I. ricinus, it is clear that they do not constitute a competent reservoir of A. phagocytophilum and Babesia in WNP. Additionally, I. ricinus is not a significant vector in this area...
- Changing HCV genotypes distribution in Poland--relation to source and time of infection
Department of Family Medicine and Community Nursing, Medical University of Bialystok, Mieszka I 4 B, 15 054 Białystok, Poland
J Clin Virol 42:156-9. 2008
..Understanding the distribution of HCV genotypes has implications for prognosis and therapy of hepatitis C...
- Utilisation of rodent species by larvae and nymphs of hard ticks (Ixodidae) in two habitats in NE Poland
University of Warsaw, Warsaw, Poland
Exp Appl Acarol 50:79-91. 2010
..Ixodes ricinus and Dermacentor reticulatus) infections on rodents in forest and abandoned field habitats in NE Poland was investigated. Ixodes ricinus was most abundant in the forest system, but D...
- Iodine-induced hyperthyroidism--an epidemiological survey several years after institution of iodine prophylaxis in Poland
Department of Thyroidology, Medical University of Lodz, Poland
J Endocrinol Invest 26:57-62. 2003
In 1997, the obligatory model of iodine prophylaxis was introduced in Poland in order to correct the existing status of mild and/or moderate iodine deficiency...
- Content and bioconcentration of mercury in mushrooms from northern Poland
Department of Environmental Chemistry and Ecotoxicology, University of Gdansk, 18 Sobieskiego Str, PL 80 952 Gdansk, Poland
Food Addit Contam 20:247-53. 2003
..202 samples of soil substrate (0-10 cm layer) were collected in 1996 from Trójmiejski Landscape Park, northern Poland. Mean Hg concentrations in the soil substrate for different species varied between 10 +/- 3 and 780 +/- 500 ng x g(..
- Zoophilic and geophilic dermatophytoses among farmers and non-farmers in Eastern Poland
Instytut Medycyny Wsi, Jaczewskiego 2, 20 090 Lublin, Poland
Ann Agric Environ Med 7:125-9. 2000
..the frequency of zoophilic and geophilic fungal infections among farmers compared to non-farmers in eastern Poland. The study was carried out on adult patients with a suspicion of fungal infection of skin or its appendages...
- Genetic polymorphisms in alcohol metabolism, alcohol intake and the risk of stomach cancer in Warsaw, Poland
Fang Fang Zhang
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of North Texas Health Science Center, Fort Worth, TX 76107, USA
Int J Cancer 121:2060-4. 2007
..In a population-based study of 305 cases and 428 controls in Warsaw, Poland, we evaluated the effect of polymorphisms in alcohol metabolizing genes, including ADH1B (Ex9+5C>T, Ex3+23A>..
- Epidemiology of physical inactivity in Poland: prevalence and determinants in a former communist country in socioeconomic transition
Department of Preventive and Social Medicine, Medical University of Łódź, 90 752 Łódź, Poland
Public Health 123:592-7. 2009
..The aim of this study was to identify physical activity patterns and determinants of physical inactivity in a representative sample of Polish adults...
- Coexistence DNA of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato and Babesia microti in Ixodes ricinus ticks from north-western Poland
Faculty of Biology, Department of Genetics, University of Szczecin, Piastow 40B, 71 065 Szczecin, Poland
Ann Agric Environ Med 9:25-8. 2002
..microti in the I. ricinus ticks collected in spring and autumn 1999 from 6 sites in north-western Poland. The microbial DNA was identified with polymerase chain reaction (PCR). The marker used to detect the B...
- Germline MSH2 and MLH1 mutational spectrum in HNPCC families from Poland and the Baltic States
Hereditary Cancer Centre, Department of Genetics and Pathology, Pomeranian Academy of Medicine, Szczecin, Poland
J Med Genet 39:E65. 2002
- Highly variable year-to-year prevalence of Anaplasma phagocytophilum in Ixodes ricinus ticks in northeastern Poland: a 4-year follow-up
Medical University of Białystok, Department of Infectious Diseases, 14 Zurawia Str, 15 540 Białystok, Poland
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1078:309-11. 2006
..We followed-up A. phagocytophilum infection rate in I. ricinus in three selected collection sites in northeastern Poland during a four-year period. Overall infection rate was 14...
- Germline MSH2 and MLH1 mutational spectrum including large rearrangements in HNPCC families from Poland (update study)
International Hereditary Cancer Center Department of Genetics and Pathology, Universit of Szczecin and Pomeranian Medical University, Szczecin, Poland
Clin Genet 69:40-7. 2006
- Countrywide spread of CTX-M-3 extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing microorganisms of the family Enterobacteriaceae in Poland
Sera and Vaccines Central Research Laboratory, 00 725 Warsaw, Poland
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:151-9. 2002
- Depressive symptoms in urban population samples in Russia, Poland and the Czech Republic
International Centre for Health and Society, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, 1 19 Torrington Place, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Br J Psychiatry 188:359-65. 2006
..Relatively little is known about depression in countries that were formerly part of the Soviet Union, especially Russia...
- Factors affecting the component community structure of haemoparasites in bank voles (Clethrionomys glareolus) from the Mazury Lake District region of Poland
Department of Parasitology, Institute of Zoology, University of Warszawa, Poland
Parasitology 122:43-54. 2001
..studied over a 3 year period in Clethrionomys glareolus (bank vole, n = 420) sampled from forests in the NE of Poland. Total species richness was 5 (Prevalence = Haemobartonella sp. 63.1%, Bartonella grahamii 27...
- Genotyping of Toxoplasma gondii by multiplex PCR and peptide-based serological testing of samples from infants in Poland diagnosed with congenital toxoplasmosis
Department of Molecular Microbiology, Washington University School of Medicine, 660 S Euclid Ave, Saint Louis, MO 93110, USA
J Clin Microbiol 44:1382-9. 2006
..the parasite genotype in amniotic fluid and cerebrospinal fluid samples from congenital toxoplasmosis cases in Poland. Nineteen confirmed congenital cases of toxoplasmosis were analyzed, including both severe and asymptomatic cases...
- Accumulation factors of mercury in mushrooms from Zaborski Landscape Park, Poland
Environ Int 28:421-7. 2002
..0 +/- 6.0 and 61 +/- 20 in caps, and 4.4 +/- 3.1 and 70 +/- 68 in stalks. The concentration ratios of Hg in cap to stalk were from 1.1 +/- 0.5 for Poison Pax (Paxillus involutus) to 2.7 +/- 1.7 in Larch Bolete (S. grevillei)...
- Atypical status of bovine spongiform encephalopathy in Poland: a molecular typing study
M P Polak
National Veterinary Research Institute, Pulawy, Poland
Arch Virol 153:69-79. 2008
..molecular features of protease-resistant prion protein (PrP(res)) in Western blots of BSE cases diagnosed in Poland with respect to a possible atypical status...
- The role of family practice in different health care systems: a comparison of reasons for encounter, diagnoses, and interventions in primary care populations in the Netherlands, Japan, Poland, and the United States
I M Okkes
Academic Medical Center University of Amsterdam, Division of Public Health, Dept of Family Practice, Meibergdreef 15, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Fam Pract 51:72-3. 2002
- Mutations in presenilin 1, presenilin 2 and amyloid precursor protein genes in patients with early-onset Alzheimer's disease in Poland
Laboratory of Neurodegeneration, International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, 02 109 Warsaw, Poland
Exp Neurol 184:991-6. 2003
..It could be concluded that screening for mutations in the three genes could be included in a diagnostic program directed at patients with a positive family history or age of onset before 55 years...
- Molecular epidemiology of Q fever in Poland
National Institute of Public Health National Institute of Hygiene, Warsaw, Poland
Pol J Microbiol 58:9-13. 2009
..Several outbreaks of Q fever have been described in Poland which sources were recognized to be related to imported animals and their products or to wildlife using ..
- Serologic survey of potential vertebrate hosts for West Nile virus in Poland
Institute of Vertebrate Biology, Academy of Sciences, Brno, Czech Republic
Viral Immunol 21:247-53. 2008
..microtesting in 78 horses, 20 domestic chickens, and 97 wild birds belonging to 10 species from different areas in Poland. Specific antibodies were detected in five juvenile (hatching-year) birds collected in 2006: three white storks (..
- Fish intake during pregnancy and mercury level in cord and maternal blood at delivery: an environmental study in Poland
Chair of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Collegium Medicum, Jagiellonian University, Kopernika 7A, 31 034 Krakow, Poland
Int J Occup Med Environ Health 20:31-7. 2007
..The purpose of this study was to estimate the amount of absorbed mercury (Hg) by mothers and their infants as a result of fish consumption during pregnancy...
- First report of the cyanobacterial toxin cylindrospermopsin in the shallow, eutrophic lakes of western Poland
Collegium Polonicum, Adam Mickiewicz University, Kościuszki Street 1, 69 100 Słubice, Poznan, Poland
Chemosphere 74:669-75. 2009
..We analyzed CYN concentration and phytoplankton assemblages of three lakes located in western Poland during the summers of 2006 and 2007. CYN was detected in 46% of our samples using the HPLC and LC-MS/MS methods...
- Arterial hypertension in Poland in 2002
Department of Hypertension and Diabetology, Medical University of Gdansk, Poland
J Hum Hypertens 18:557-62. 2004
Arterial hypertension represents a serious medical, social and economic problem in Poland. Owing to a small number of studies concerning HT epidemiology in Poland and large differences in methodology, it is difficult to make an objective ..
- High prevalence of genotype 4 among hepatitis C virus-infected intravenous drug users in north-eastern Poland
Department of Family Medicine and Community Nursing, Medical University of Bialystok, Bialystok, Poland
J Med Virol 80:615-8. 2008
..this study was to describe the distribution of hepatitis C genotypes among intravenous drug users in north-eastern Poland. The study group included intravenous drug users recruited at a drug treatment center and a clinic for HIV-..
- Non-native Ambrosia pollen in the atmosphere of Rzeszów (SE Poland); evaluation of the effect of weather conditions on daily concentrations and starting dates of the pollen season
Department of Environmental Biology, University of Rzeszow, Rejtana 16C, Rzeszów 35 959, Poland
Int J Biometeorol 52:341-51. 2008
..A close dependence was also found between the starting date of the season and the sum of maximum temperatures and the sum of differences between the maximum and minimum temperatures...
- Human papillomavirus infection in women with and without cervical cancer in Warsaw, Poland
The Maria Sklodowska Curie Memorial Cancer Center and Institute of Oncology, 5 W K Roentgena Street, 02 781 Warsaw, Poland
Eur J Cancer 44:557-64. 2008
Cervical cancer incidence and mortality in Poland is among the highest in Europe...
- Pertussis in Poland
Department of Sera and Vaccines Evaluation, National Institute of Hygiene, 24 Chocimska Str, 00 791 Warsaw, Poland
Int J Epidemiol 33:358-65. 2004
Since 1997, an unexpected 2-5-fold increase in the incidence of pertussis has been reported in Poland in comparison with the previous 10 years, although the introduction of the diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis (DTP) vaccination in 1960 ..
- Plasma levels of insulin-like growth factor-I, insulin-like growth factor binding protein-1, coenzyme Q10 and vitamin E in female populations from Poland, Serbia and Sweden
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Stockholm University, The Arrhenius Laboratories, SE 106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
Environ Int 36:188-94. 2010
..coenzyme Q10 (CoQ) and vitamin E in healthy female populations (n=4 x 100) aged 19-59 years from Poland (PL), Sweden (SE), Serbia I (SR I) and Serbia II (SR II)...
- Biosocial and nutritional effects on body composition in young adults from Wrocław, Poland
Polish Academy of Sciences, Wrocław, Poland
J Biosoc Sci 38:721-34. 2006
..on body compartment indices, and how this differs between female and male medical students from Wrocław, Poland. Backward stepwise regression was applied to four dependent variables, i.e...
- Tetrapod trackways from the early Middle Devonian period of Poland
Department of Paleobiology and Evolution, Faculty of Biology, Warsaw University, 2S Banacha Street, 02 097 Warsaw, Poland
Nature 463:43-8. 2010
..They force a radical reassessment of the timing, ecology and environmental setting of the fish-tetrapod transition, as well as the completeness of the body fossil record...
- Antibiotic resistance of Campylobacter jejuni and Campylobacter coli clinical isolates from Poland
National Institute of Hygiene, Department of Bacteriology, 24 Chocimska Street, 00 791 Warsaw, Poland
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:1123-5. 2007
We tested 102 Campylobacter jejuni and 6 Campylobacter coli clinical isolates from Poland. All were susceptible to erythromycin. Among the tested C. jejuni isolates 55.9% and 13...
- Trichinella britovi and Trichinella spiralis mixed infection in a horse from Poland
Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale of Sardinia, Italy
Vet Parasitol 161:345-8. 2009
..In 2008, a 10-year-old horse imported from Poland to Italy for consumption found to have been positive at the digestion test...
- Continuity of Y chromosome haplotypes in the population of Southern Poland before and after the Second World War
Institute of Molecular and Forensic Genetics, Nicolaus Copernicus University, Collegium Medicum in Bydgoszcz, ul M Skłodowskiej Curie 9, 85 090 Bydgoszcz, Poland
Forensic Sci Int Genet 1:134-40. 2007
..the hypotheses that explains this phenomenon is based on the assumption that massive migrations that took place in Poland after the Second World War might have evoked such an effect...
- Epidemiological characteristics of pertussis in Estonia, Lithuania, Romania, the Czech Republic, Poland and Turkey-1945 to 2005
University of Tartu, Ravila 19, 50411, Tartu, Estonia
Eur J Pediatr 168:407-15. 2009
..Age-specific incidence rates rose in 5-14 year olds in Poland, Estonia and the Czech Republic. Incidence rates in children <1 year of age remained unchanged...
- [Norovirus infection in children hospitalized with acute gastroenteritis in northeastern Poland]
Klinika Obserwacyjno Zakaźna Dzieci Akademii Medycznej w Białymstoku
Przegl Epidemiol 61:477-82. 2007
..results support important role of noroviruses as a causing agent of gastroenteritis in children in Northeastern Poland. The importance of noroviruses may grow as rotavirus infections are likely to be eliminated due to wide ..
- [Long-term domiciliary oxygen therapy (LTOT) in Poland in the years 1986-2005]
Oddział Pulmonologiczny, Wojewódzki Szpital Specjalistyczny, ul Aleksandrowicza 5, 26 617 Radom, Poland
Pneumonol Alergol Pol 75:331-42. 2007
..There are 63 LTOT centres located in Poland run by specialists in pulmonology...
- Characterisation of Neisseria meningitidis C:2b:P1.2,5 isolates in Poland
Department of Epidemiology and Clinical Microbiology, National Reference Centre for Bacterial Meningitis, National Institute of Public Health, Warsaw, Poland
Clin Microbiol Infect 12:1027-30. 2006
This study aimed to characterise Neisseria meningitidis C:2b:P1.2,5 isolates from Poland, which have now become predominant among serogroup C isolates in this country...
- [Cohort analysis for treatment outcomes TB pulmonary cases bacteriologically confirmed in Poland]
Zakładu Epidemiologii i Organizacji Walki z Gruźlica Instytutu Gruźlicy i Chorób Płuc
Pneumonol Alergol Pol 73:245-53. 2005
In Poland since 1986 system of treatment outcomes monitoring (TOM) of all confirmed pulmonary TB (PTB) cases has been introduced...
- [Cestode infections in Poland in 2005]
Zakład Epidemiologii Państwowego Zakładu Higieny ul Chocimska 24, 00 791 Warszawa
Przegl Epidemiol 61:305-9. 2007
In the year 2005, 179 intestinal cestode infections were registered in Poland. Among them 109 were caused by Taenia saginata, 3 by T. solium, 59 by Taenia sp., 1 by Diphyllobothrium latum...
- [Suicide mortality in Poland as compared to EU countries--recent trends and demographic determinants]
Zakład Ochrony i Promocji Zdrowia Dzieci i Młodziezy
Przegl Epidemiol 61:777-84. 2007
The main purpose of this study was to examine recent trends in suicide mortality and to compare Poland with EU statistics. Data were obtained from Health for All Mortality Database, January 2007...
- Molecular characterization of Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates from Łódź, Poland: analysis by IS6110 restriction fragment length polymorphism and double-repetitive-element PCR
Department of Genetics of Microorganisms, University of Łódź, Banacha 12 16, 90 237 Łódź, Poland
J Infect 52:346-53. 2006
The aim of the present study was to characterize Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains isolated in the area of Łódź, Poland, from 1996 to 2000.
- Prevalence of Borrelia burgdorferi s.l. OspA types in Ixodes ricinus ticks from selected localities in Slovakia and Poland
Max von Pettenkofer Institute, LMU Munich, National Reference Center for Borreliae, Pettenkoferstrasse 9a, D 80336 Munich, Germany
Int J Med Microbiol 296:108-18. 2006
In this study, 746 questing Ixodes (I.) ricinus ticks from eastern Slovakia and 187 ticks from southern Poland were investigated for infection with Borrelia (B...
- The influence of environmental exposure to complex mixtures including PAHs and lead on genotoxic effects in children living in Upper Silesia, Poland
Institute of Occupational Medicine and Environmental Health, 13 Kościelna Street 41 200 Sosnowiec, Poland
Mutagenesis 21:295-304. 2006
..The sources of that exposure may be outdoor and indoor. Emissions from coal-burning stoves are important contributors to the total exposure to PAHs and Pb in Silesian children...
- The rising incidence of type 1 diabetes in south-eastern Poland. A study of the 0-29 year-old age group, 1980-1999
Department of Internal Medicine, Nephrology and Endocrinology with the Nuclear Medicine Unit, Regional Hospital No 2, Rzeszow
Endokrynol Pol 57:127-30. 2006
Studies carried out over the last few years have provided information about the increase in the incidence of type 1 diabetes in different parts of the world including the European countries bordering Poland.
- Definition of the "health benefit basket" in poland
Jagiellonian University Medical College, Crakow, Poland
Eur J Health Econ . 2005
..first the verdict of the Constitutional Tribunal invalidating the existing health insurance law and, second, Poland's accession to the European Union...
- Predicted intake of trace elements and minerals via household drinking water by 6-year-old children from Kraków, Poland. Part 2: Cadmium, 1997-2001
Department of Food Chemistry and Nutrition, Jagiellonian University, Medical College, ul Medyczna 9, Str 30 688 Kraków, Poland
Food Addit Contam 22:816-28. 2005
..children living in urban (metropolitan, U) and peripheral (P) areas of Kraków and rural (R) areas in southern Poland. Cadmium concentrations were estimated by the GF-AAS method with Zeeman background correction...
- Nurses and occupational exposures to bloodborne viruses in Poland
Department of Hygiene and Epidemiology, Pomeranian Medical University, Szczecin, Poland
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 27:175-80. 2006
..To record descriptions of occupational exposures to blood, determine factors predictive of exposure, and identify interventions that might reduce the frequency of exposure...
- [Occurrence of Giardia species and genotypes in humans and animals in Wielkopolska region, Poland]
Katedrze i Zakładzie Biologii i Parazytologii Lekarskiej Uniwersytetu Medycznego im Karola Marcinkowskiego w Poznaniu
Wiad Parazytol 55:459-62. 2009
..Their results will have a key meaning in explaining the genetic structure of the Giardia population and in understanding the molecular epidemiology of giardiosis...
- Lead and growth status of school children living in the copper basin of south-western Poland: differential effects on bone growth
Department of Anthropokinetics, University School of Physical Education, Wrocław, Poland
Ann Hum Biol 33:401-14. 2006
The study analyzed the relationship between blood lead (BPb) levels and growth status of upper and lower body segments among schoolchildren living in the copper basin of south-western Poland.
- [Epidemiology of viral hepatitis cases, types B and C, transmitted from carriers--health service workers to patients. Is it still a"no problem" issue in Poland]
Z Katedry Profilaktyki Zdrowotnej Akademii, Akademii Medycznej im K Marcinkowskiego w Poznaniu
Med Pr 56:491-4. 2005
..In Poland, there is a real risk of such accidents (especially regarding HCV)...
- Y-chromosomal haplotypes for the AmpFlSTR Yfiler PCR Amplification Kit in a population sample from Central Poland
Department of Biology, Central Forensic Laboratory of Police, Warsaw, Poland
Forensic Sci Int 168:61-7. 2007
..DYS438, DYS448, DYS393, DYS391, DYS439, Y GATA C4, DYS392) were determined in 255 unrelated males from central Poland using AmpFlSTR Yfiler PCR Amplification Kit. Two hundred and fifty-two different haplotypes were observed...
- First record of the occurrence of "gill disease" in Mytilus edulis trossulus from the Gulf of Gdańsk (Baltic Sea, Poland)
Institute of Oceanography, Department of Marine Ecosystem Functioning, Laboratory of Estuarine Ecology, University of Gdansk, Al Marszałka J Piłsudskiego 46, 81 378 Gdynia, Poland
J Invertebr Pathol 93:207-9. 2006
..of the occurrence of "gill disease" in Mytilus edulis trossulus from the southern Baltic Sea, Gulf of Gdańsk (Poland)...
- Antibodies to Neospora caninum in the blood of European bison (Bison bonasus bonasus L.) living in Poland
Witold Stefanski Institute of Parasitology of the Polish Academy of Sciences, 00 818 Warszawa, ul Twarda 51 55, Poland
Vet Parasitol 128:163-8. 2005
..living in free and fenced areas in Poland. Sera of 320 European bison, different ages and sexes, from breeding areas in Poland were tested for N...
- Mitochondrial haplotype diversity of Gyrodactylus thymalli (Platyhelminthes; Monogenea): extended geographic sampling in United Kingdom, Poland, and Norway reveals further lineages
Department of Zoology, Natural History Museum, University of Oslo, P O Box 1172 Blindern, N 0318, Oslo, Norway
Parasitol Res 100:1389-94. 2007
..In this study, we report six new mitochondrial haplotypes of G. thymalli from England, Poland, and Norway detected by sequencing 745 bp of the cytochrome oxidase I gene...
- Seasonality of the ectoparasite community of woodland rodents in a Mazurian Forest, Poland
Philip D Harris
National Centre for Biosystematics, Natural History Museum, University of Oslo, P O Box 1172, Blindern, Oslo, Norway
Wiad Parazytol 55:377-88. 2009
..Several of the ectoparasites have the potential to be pathogenic; the impact of these organisms on the population dynamics of their hosts remains to be investigated...
- Bartonella spp. infection in rodents from different habitats in the Mazury Lake District, Northeast Poland
Department of Parasitology, Institute of Zoology, University of Warsaw, Warsaw, Poland
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 8:467-74. 2008
..oeconomus) were captured in the period 2004-2006 in the Mazury Lake District, Northeast Poland, to determine the prevalence and genetic diversity of Bartonella species...
- Molecular epidemiology of acquired-metallo-beta-lactamase-producing bacteria in Poland
National Institute of Public Health, ul Chełmska 30 34, 00 725 Warsaw, Poland
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:880-6. 2006
..n = 38), Pseudomonas putida (n = 1), and Acinetobacter genospecies 3 (n = 1) from 17 hospitals in 12 cities in Poland that were identified in 2000 to 2004. Pulsed field gel electrophoresis typing classified the P...
- Infection of red foxes (Vulpes vulpes) with Echinococcus multilocularis during the years 2001-2004 in Poland
W Stefanski Institute of Parasitology of the Polish Academy of Sciences, Warszawa, Poland
Parasitol Res 103:501-5. 2008
During the period of 2001-2004, 1,514 red foxes from the north and the southeast of Poland were sampled and examined parasitologically for infections with Echinococcus multilocularis. A mean 23...
- Temporal and between-site variation in helminth communities of bank voles ( Myodes glareolus) from N.E. Poland. 1. Regional fauna and component community levels
J M Behnke
School of Biology, University of Nottingham, University Park, Nottingham NG7 2RD, UK
Parasitology 135:985-97. 2008
Helminth infections were studied in bank voles (Myodes glareolus) from 3 woodland sites in N.E. Poland in the late summers of 1999 and 2002, to assess the temporal stability of derived statistics describing the regional helminth fauna and ..
- [Enteric helminths of the mallard Anas platyrhynchos L., 1758 in the north-western part of Poland]
Katarzyna M Kavetska
Katedra Zoologii, Akademia Rolnicza w Szczecinie, Szczecin
Wiad Parazytol 54:23-9. 2008
Although the mallard, Anas platyrhynchos, is the most common wild duck in Poland, as well as in the entire Palearctic, it is extremely rarely studied by comprehensive parasitological surveys...
- [The evaluation of soil contamination with geohelminth eggs in the area of Wrocław, Poland]
Zakład Parazytologii, Instytut Genetyki i Mikrobiologii, Uniwersytet Wrocławski, ul Przybyszewskiego 63, 51 148 Wrocław
Wiad Parazytol 54:319-23. 2008
..Parks and playgrounds with sandpits were free of any contamination. The prevalence of helminth eggs in positive samples was as follows: Toxocara spp. 3.2%, Uncinaria stenocephala 7.0%, Ancylostoma caninum 4.9% and Trichuris vulpis 4.9%...
- [Influenza in Poland in 2006]
Mirosław P Czarkowski
Zakład Epidemiologii, Narodowy Instytut Zdrowia Publicznego PZH, ul Chocimska 24, 00 791 Warszawa
Przegl Epidemiol 62:235-40. 2008
A total number of 251,815 cases of influenza and influenza-like illness registered in Poland in 2006 (incidence 660.4 per 100,000 population). Regionally the incidence varied from 75.6 per 100,000 in swietokrzyskie voivodeship to 1,690...
- Prevalence of latent tuberculosis infection in health care workers in Poland assessed by interferon-gamma whole blood and tuberculin skin tests
Institute of Tuberculosis and Lung Diseases, Warsaw, Poland
J Physiol Pharmacol 59:209-17. 2008
..The prevalence of latent tuberculosis infection (LTBI) in this group is unknown in Poland, due largely to the problems associated with the interpretation of the tuberculin skin test (TST) in BCG immunized ..
- Distribution of Cryptosporidium and Giardia spp. in selected species of protected and game mammals from North-Eastern Poland
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Biology, University of Warsaw, Poland
Ann Agric Environ Med 14:265-70. 2007
..Both parasites occur in similar environments and share a broad host range. However, in Poland there is still little known about the epidemiology of these parasites due to the paucity of data on human cases ..
- Involvement of family nurses in home visits during an 8-year period encompassing primary healthcare reforms in Poland
Department of Family Medicine and Community Nursing, Medical University of Bialystok, Bialystok, Poland
Health Soc Care Community 17:327-34. 2009
..A series of cross-sectional studies were conducted in a small town in northeastern Poland, based on three consecutive surveys taken at 4-year intervals (1998, 2002, 2006, surveys I, II and III, ..
- Wild game as a reservoir of Anaplasma phagocytophilum in north-western Poland
Department of Genetics, University of Szczecin, Piastow 40B, 71 065 Szczecin, Poland
Wiad Parazytol 53:103-7. 2007
..role of game animals as reservoirs of Anaplasma phagocytophilum, a bacteria species transmitted by Ixodes ricinus ticks, from north-western Poland (Zachodniopomorskie vovoidship). The area under question is endemic for A. phagocytophilum.
- [Epidemiological and clinical characteristics of genotype 4 HCV infection in the north-east Poland]
Tadeusz Wojciech Łapiński
Klinika Chorób Zakaźnych i Hepatologii, Uniwersytetu Medycznego w Białymstoku
Przegl Epidemiol 63:501-4. 2009
..The aim was assessment of the incidence of genotype 4 HCV infection in north-eastern Poland, that included also epidemiological and clinical analysis.
- [Occupational diseases in Poland, 2006]
Zakład Epidemiologii Srodowiskowej, Instytut Medycyny Pracy im prof J Nofera, Lodz
Med Pr 58:193-203. 2007
..The aim of the paper was to present basic statistical data on occupational diseases diagnosed in 2006...
- Frequency of mutations related to hereditary haemochromatosis in northwestern Poland
Liver Unit, Department of Gastroenterology, Pomeranian Medical School, Unii Lubelskiej 1, 71 252 Szczecin, Poland
J Appl Genet 49:105-7. 2008
..1000 samples from the general population (subjects registered at general practitioner practices) in northwestern Poland, and 517 samples of cord blood from the same region. We identified 2 (0.13%) homozygotes and 117 (7...
- Occurrence of cases of borreliosis certified as an occupational disease in the province of Wielkopolska (Poland)
Department of Preventive Medicine, University of Medical Sciences, ul Smoluchowskiego 11, 60 179 Poznan, Poland
Ann Agric Environ Med 16:211-7. 2009
..It should be suspected that the epidemiologic data concerning the cases of borreliosis in the occupational conditions are understated...
- [Occupational diseases in Poland, 2008]
Instytut Medycyny Pracy im prof J Nofera, Lodz, Zakład Epidemiologii Srodowiskowej
Med Pr 60:167-78. 2009
..The aim of the paper was to present basic statistical data on occupational diseases diagnosed in 2008...
- New localities of Dermacentor reticulatus tick (vector of Babesia canis canis) in central and eastern Poland
Division of Parasitology and Parasitic Diseases, Department of Preclinical Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Warsaw University of Life Sciences SGGW, Ciszewskiego 8, 02 786 Warsaw, Poland
Pol J Vet Sci 12:549-55. 2009
Dermacentor reticulatus tick is a vector and final host of Babesia canis canis, protozoan parasite of the dog. In Poland and other European countries, endemic regions for canine babesiosis caused by B...
- Growth responses to climate in a multi-species tree-ring network in the Western Carpathian Tatra Mountains, Poland and Slovakia
Swiss Federal Research Institute WSL, Zürcherstrasse 111, 8903 Birmensdorf, Switzerland
Tree Physiol 27:689-702. 2007
..to climate of 24 tree-ring width and four maximum latewood density chronologies from the greater Tatra region in Poland and Slovakia...