- Emotional and behavioural problems in migrant adolescents in Belgium
Department of Orthopedagogics, Ghent University, H Dunantlaan 2, 9000 Gent, Belgium
Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 17:54-62. 2008
..at investigating the prevalence of emotional and behavioural problems in recently arrived migrant adolescents in Belgium, compared to Belgian peers...
- Introduction and establishment of the exotic mosquito species Aedes japonicus japonicus (Diptera: Culicidae) in Belgium
Department of Parasitology, Entomology Unit, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Nationalestraat 155, B 2000 Antwerp, Belgium
J Med Entomol 46:1464-7. 2009
..of the potential vector species Aedes (Finlaya) japonicusjaponicus (Theobald) (Diptera: Culicidae) in southern Belgium is reported. The species was most likely introduced through the international trade in used tires...
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus ST398 in swine farm personnel, Belgium
Universite Libre de Bruxelles Hopital Erasme, Brussels, Belgium
Emerg Infect Dis 15:1098-101. 2009
We assessed methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in persons on 49 swine farms in Belgium. Surveys showed that 48 (37.8%) persons carried MRSA ST398 and 1 (0.8%) had concurrent skin infection...
- Epidemiology of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) among residents of nursing homes in Belgium
Laboratoire de Référence MRSA Staphylocoques, Department of Microbiology, Hopital Erasme, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium
J Antimicrob Chemother 64:1299-306. 2009
A national survey was conducted to determine the prevalence, risk factors and molecular epidemiology of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) carriage among nursing home (NH) residents in Belgium.
- Prevalence and demography of transsexualism in Belgium
G De Cuypere
Department of Sexology and Gender Problems, University Hospital Gent, De Pintelaan 185, B 9000 Gent, Belgium
Eur Psychiatry 22:137-41. 2007
..This prevalence and demographic study analyses data on all Belgian individuals who have undergone SRS since that year...
- Post-mortem findings and causes of death of harbour porpoises (Phocoena phocoena) stranded from 1990 to 2000 along the coastlines of Belgium and Northern France
Department of Pathology, Veterinary College, Liege, B43, 4000, Belgium
J Comp Pathol 126:243-53. 2002
..The cause of the increased numbers of carcasses in 1999 was unclear but did not include viral epizootics or net entanglement. A temporary increase in the porpoise population in the southern North Sea may have been responsible...
- Gastrointestinal protozoa in non-human primates of four zoological gardens in Belgium
Department of Virology, Parasitology and Immunology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Ghent University, Salisburylaan 133, 9820 Merelbeke, Belgium
Vet Parasitol 148:236-46. 2007
..was conducted to estimate the occurrence of gastrointestinal parasites in NHP of four zoological gardens in Belgium. Between August 2004 and April 2006, 910 faecal samples were collected from 222 animals housed in 39 groups...
- Molecular epidemiology with subtype analysis of Cryptosporidium in calves in Belgium
Laboratory of Parasitology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Ghent University, Salisburylaan 133, B 9820 Merelbeke, Belgium
Parasitology 134:1981-7. 2007
..in a cross-sectional epidemiological study on 100 dairy (n=499) and 50 beef (n=333) farms in East Flanders (Belgium), using a previously evaluated immunofluorescence assay (Merifluor)...
- Subgroup prevalence and genotype circulation patterns of human respiratory syncytial virus in Belgium during ten successive epidemic seasons
Kalina T Zlateva
Laboratory of Clinical and Epidemiological Virology, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Rega Institute for Medical Research, University of Leuven, Minderbroedersstraat 10, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
J Clin Microbiol 45:3022-30. 2007
..The subgroup prevalence and genotype distribution patterns of HRSV strains were investigated in a community in Belgium during 10 successive epidemic seasons (1996 to 2006)...
- Mining social mixing patterns for infectious disease models based on a two-day population survey in Belgium
Interuniversity Institute for Biostatistics and Statistical Bioinformatics I BioStat, Hasselt University and Catholic University of Leuven, Agoralaan 1, 3590 Diepenbeek, Belgium
BMC Infect Dis 9:5. 2009
..In order to better inform such estimates, a population based contact survey has been carried out in Belgium over the period March-May 2006...
- References for growth and pubertal development from birth to 21 years in Flanders, Belgium
Laboratory of Anthropogenetics, Vrije Universiteit Brussel VUB, Belgium
Ann Hum Biol 36:680-94. 2009
..Reference charts that were until recently used in Belgium are based on samples collected more than 30 years ago, and references for body mass index (BMI) and pubertal ..
- Characterization of indoor air quality in primary schools in Antwerp, Belgium
Department of Chemistry, University of Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium
Indoor Air 18:454-63. 2008
The indoor air quality of 27 primary schools located in the city centre and suburbs of Antwerp, Belgium, was assessed. The primary aim was to obtain correlations between the various pollutant levels...
- Development of palliative care and legalisation of euthanasia: antagonism or synergy?
Jan L Bernheim
End of Life Care Research Group, Department of Medical Sociology and Health Sciences, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Laarbeeklaan 103, 1090 Brussels, Belgium
BMJ 336:864-7. 2008
- First record of Aedes (Stegomyia) albopictus in Belgium
Adege, EID Méditerranée, 165 avenue Paul Rimbaud, 34184 Montpellier Cedex 4, France
J Am Mosq Control Assoc 20:201-3. 2004
The 1st record of Aedes albopictus in Belgium was made in a village in Oost-Vlaanderen Province...
- Clonal population structure and antimicrobial resistance of Campylobacter jejuni in chicken meat from Belgium
Department of Veterinary Public Health and Food Safety, Ghent University, Merelbeke, Belgium
Appl Environ Microbiol 75:4264-72. 2009
..jejuni isolates from 135 chicken meat preparations sampled across Belgium. Isolates were further typed by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis, and their susceptibilities to six ..
- Trend of cervical cancer mortality in Belgium (1954-1994): tentative solution for the certification problem of unspecified uterine cancer
Department of Epidemiology, Scientific Institute of Public Health, Brussels, Belgium
Int J Cancer 102:649-54. 2002
We investigated the evolution of mortality from cervical cancer in Belgium between 1954 and 1994 in terms of absolute number of deaths, and standardised and age-specific mortality rates...
- Incidence of hantavirus infections in Belgium
Research Laboratory for Vector Borne Diseases, Queen Astrid Military Hospital, Brussels, Belgium
Virus Res 77:71-80. 2001
..This paper summarises the available data on hantavirus cases in Belgium. These data enable the demonstration of the existence of a 3-year epidemic cycle in Belgium, which is apparently ..
- Bluetongue virus detection by real-time RT-PCR in Culicoides captured during the 2006 epizootic in Belgium and development of an internal control
Department of Virology, Veterinary and Agrochemical Research Centre, Brussels, Belgium
Transbound Emerg Dis 56:170-7. 2009
After the emergence of bluetongue (BT) in Belgium in 2006, two types of entomological surveys were initiated, the one to identify the local vector species, and the other to study their population dynamics...
- An economic evaluation of cetuximab combined with radiotherapy for patients with locally advanced head and neck cancer in Belgium, France, Italy, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom
IMS Health, London, UK
Value Health 11:791-9. 2008
- Multilocus genotyping of Cryptosporidium and Giardia in non-outbreak related cases of diarrhoea in human patients in Belgium
Laboratory of Veterinary Parasitology, Ghent University, Salisburylaan 133, B 9820 Merelbeke, Belgium
Parasitology 136:1161-8. 2009
..Furthermore, using a novel species-specific PCR based on the TPI gene, mixed infections with both assemblage A and B were detected in a large number (32.4%) of human patients, which might have important epidemiological implications...
- Prevalence and distribution of mastitis pathogens in subclinically infected dairy cows in Flanders, Belgium
Department of Reproduction, Obstetrics and Herd Health, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Ghent University, Merelbeke, Belgium
J Dairy Res 74:478-83. 2007
The main objective was to determine the prevalence of intramammary infections (IMI) in dairy cows in Flanders, Belgium. Data were obtained from quarter milk samples of dairy herds subjected to a mandatory yearly screening of all ..
- Determinants of the geographic distribution of Puumala virus and Lyme borreliosis infections in Belgium
Department of Geography, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Louvain la Neuve, Belgium
Int J Health Geogr 6:15. 2007
..this study was to combine environmental and socio-economic factors to explain the spatial distribution of two emerging human diseases in Belgium, Puumala virus (PUUV) and Lyme borreliosis. Municipalities were taken as units of analysis.
- Immunologic biomarkers in relation to exposure markers of PCBs and dioxins in Flemish adolescents (Belgium)
Rosette L Van Den Heuvel
Department of Toxicology, Vito Flemish Institute of Technological Research, Mol, Belgium
Environ Health Perspect 110:595-600. 2002
..serum levels of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) and dioxin-like compounds after lifetime exposure in Flanders (Belgium)...
- Deliberate self-harm in young people: differences in prevalence and risk factors between the Netherlands and Belgium
Unit for Suicide Research, Dept of Psychiatry, University Hospital, De Pintelaan 185, Gent 9000, Belgium
Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 17:179-86. 2008
..This study aimed to examine prevalence and risk factors of deliberate self-harm in Dutch and Dutch-speaking Belgian adolescents...
- Establishing a reference interval for bone turnover markers in 637 healthy, young, premenopausal women from the United Kingdom, France, Belgium, and the United States
Sarah J Glover
University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
J Bone Miner Res 24:389-97. 2009
..637 eligible women from four countries that participated in the Horizon-PFT study (United Kingdom, France, Belgium, United States). The women were 30-39 yr of age (mean, 34.6 yr), with regular cyclic menses...
- Sexual precocity after immigration from developing countries to Belgium: evidence of previous exposure to organochlorine pesticides
Division of Ambulatory Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, Department of Pediatrics and Laboratory of Toxicology, , C.H.U. Sart Tilman, , Belgium
Hum Reprod 16:1020-6. 2001
In a retrospective auxological study of 145 patients seen in Belgium during a 9-year period for treatment of precocious puberty, 28% appeared to be foreign children (39 girls, one boy) who immigrated 4 to 5 years earlier from 22 ..
- Prevalence, classification and perception of allergic and nonallergic rhinitis in Belgium
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Ghent University Hospital, Ghent, Belgium
Allergy 61:693-8. 2006
..Allergic rhinitis (AR) and noninfectious, nonallergic rhinitis (NINA) are common disorders, which may prompt patients to seek medical help...
- Spatial and temporal dynamics of Puumala hantavirus infection in red bank vole (Clethrionomys glareolus) populations in Belgium
Department of Immunology Vaccinology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Liege, Bât B 43 bis, Boulevard de Colonster, 20, 4000, Liege, Belgium
Virus Res 67:91-107. 2000
..of hantavirus infection and population densities in rodents were investigated from 1996 to 1999 in southern Belgium. Evidence of Puumala infection was restricted to Clethrionomys glareolus...
- Epidemiology of hepatitis C in Belgium: present and future
Pierre Van Damme
Epidemiologie en Sociale Geneeskunde, Centrum voor de Evaluatie van Vaccinaties, Universitaire Instelling Antwerpen
Acta Gastroenterol Belg 65:78-9. 2002
Based on currently available epidemiological data, Belgium appears to belong to the low endemicity countries for hepatitis C, with an estimated annual incidence of 3/100,000 clinical cases; a survey among the Flemish population showed an ..
- Prevalence and molecular characterisation of Cryptosporidium and Giardia in lambs and goat kids in Belgium
Laboratory of Parasitology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Ghent University, Salisburylaan 133, B 9820 Merelbeke, Belgium
Vet Parasitol 155:142-5. 2008
..and Giardia was studied on 10 intensively reared sheep and goat farms in the province of East Flanders, Belgium. Random faecal samples were collected and examined using the Merifluor((R)) immunofluorescence assay...
- Drastic decrease of Salmonella Enteritidis isolated from humans in Belgium in 2005, shift in phage types and influence on foodborne outbreaks
J M Collard
National Reference Center for Salmonella and Shigella, Scientific Institute of Public Health, Brussels, Belgium
Epidemiol Infect 136:771-81. 2008
In Belgium, non-typhoidal salmonellosis and campylobacteriosis are the two most frequently reported foodborne illnesses...
- Fasciola hepatica: an assessment on the vectorial capacity of Radix labiata and R. balthica commonly found in Belgium
Department of Infectious and Parasitic Diseases, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Liege, B 4000 Liege, Belgium
Vet Parasitol 149:95-103. 2007
A previous study conducted in Belgium revealed that genetic material of Fasciola sp. was present in snail species belonging to the genus Radix...
- Echinococcus multilocularis and Toxocara canis in urban red foxes (Vulpes vulpes) in Brussels, Belgium
Scientific Institute of Public Health, Department of Microbiology, Division of Virology, Rue Juliette Wytsman 14, B 1050 Brussels, Belgium
Prev Vet Med 80:65-73. 2007
..87% (median value of 0%) and 12.7 to 26% (median value of 18.7%), respectively. For T. canis, a significantly higher risk to be a carrier occurs in cubs and a significantly lower risk in adults...
- Serological and genetic evidence for the presence of Seoul hantavirus in Rattus norvegicus in Flanders, Belgium
Research Laboratory for Vector Borne Diseases, Queen Astrid Military Hospital, Bruynstraat, Brussels, Belgium
Scand J Infect Dis 41:51-6. 2009
..We here report genetic and serological evidence for the presence of SEOV virus in brown rat populations in Belgium. We also serologically screened an at-risk group that was in contact with R...
- The Coca-Cola incident in Belgium, June 1999
Department of Pneumology, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Food Chem Toxicol 40:1657-67. 2002
The present paper describes the outbreak of health complaints that occurred in Belgium, in June 1999, among schoolchildren and members of the general public in relation to the consumption of Coca-Cola and other soft drinks...
- Exposure of the elderly to potential nephrotoxic drug combinations in Belgium
Hilde L E Smets
Department of Nephrology Hypertension, Antwerp University Hospital, Belgium
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 17:1014-9. 2008
- Giardia and other intestinal parasites in different dog populations in Northern Belgium
Laboratory of Parasitology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Ghent University, Salisburylaan 133, B 9820 Merelbeke, Belgium
Vet Parasitol 161:41-6. 2009
..this study were to obtain data on the prevalence of intestinal parasites in different dog populations in northern Belgium, to estimate the zoonotic risk associated with these infections and to identify potential risk factors...
- Quantification and evaluation of antimicrobial drug use in group treatments for fattening pigs in Belgium
Department of Reproduction, Obstetrics and Herd Health, Veterinary Epidemiology Unit, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Ghent University, Salisburylaan 133, B 9820 Merelbeke, Belgium
Prev Vet Med 74:251-63. 2006
..Because consumption data are not available in Belgium, a study was conducted between March and October 2003 to investigate the antimicrobial drug consumption in pigs, ..
- Neonatal haemoglobinopathy screening in Belgium
Department of Clinical Chemistry, Hopital Erasme, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium
J Clin Pathol 62:49-52. 2009
..A neonatal haemoglobinopathy screening programme was implemented in Brussels more than a decade ago and in Liège 5 years ago; the programme was adapted to the local situation...
- Male sex workers in Antwerp, Belgium: a descriptive study
Department of Epidemiology and Social Medicine, University of Antwerp, Universiteitsplein 1, 2610 Antwerp, Belgium
Int J STD AIDS 16:744-8. 2005
..STI), sociodemographic and behavioural characteristics in a population of male sex workers (MSW) in Antwerp, Belgium. Between September 1999 and March 2004, 129 MSW were reached by Gh@pro, an outreach programme providing ..
- Trends in preterm births in Flanders, Belgium, from 1991 to 2002
Marc J N C Keirse
Department of Obstetrics, Gynaecology and Reproductive Medicine, Flinders University, Flinders Medical Centre, Bedford Park, SA 5042, Australia
Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 23:522-32. 2009
..This indicates that changes in the frequency of these known predictors are insufficient to explain the steady increase in preterm, very preterm and severely preterm births over more than a decade...
- Prevalence of hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia and humeral head osteochondrosis in dog breeds in Belgium
Department of Medical Imaging, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Ghent University, Salisburylaan 133, 9820 Merelbeke, Belgium
Vet Rec 163:654-8. 2008
..estimate the prevalence of hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia and humeral head osteochondrosis in the dog breeds in Belgium, and these have been compared with reported prevalence data from other countries...
- Trends in social inequalities in obesity: Belgium, 1997 to 2004
Scientific Institute of Public Health, Brussels, Belgium
Prev Med 48:54-8. 2009
Studies examining the time trend in social inequalities in obesity have yielded diverse results. The aim of this study is to investigate whether social inequalities in obesity have increased overtime in Belgium.
- Obstacles to the implementation of evidence-based physiotherapy in practice: a focus group-based study in Belgium (Flanders)
Andragogical and Medical Social Sciences, Research Fellow Belgian Centre for Evidence Based Medicine, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Physiother Theory Pract 25:476-88. 2009
..Direct access to physiotherapy has not yet been considered in Belgium. However, it could have major advantages for physiotherapists who are in favour of a more autonomous, ..
- Assessment of human exposure to Bisphenol-A, Triclosan and Tetrabromobisphenol-A through indoor dust intake in Belgium
Toxicological Center, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Antwerp, Universiteitsplein 1, 2610 Antwerp Wilrijk, Belgium
Chemosphere 76:755-60. 2009
..the concentrations of BPA, TCS and TBBPA in indoor dust samples from 18 houses and 2 offices in Flanders, Belgium. The analysis was performed using solid-liquid extraction, clean-up and measurement by liquid chromatography-..
- Human Granulocytic Ehrlichiosis in Belgium: an underestimated cause of disease
Research Laboratory for Vector Borne Diseases, Queen Astrid Military Hospital, Bruynstraat 1, Brussels B 1120, Belgium
J Infect 47:129-32. 2003
..The available serology results indicate that HGE should be included in the screening panel when a tick-borne disease is suspected...
- The economic impact of dementia in Belgium: results of the National Dementia Economic Study (NADES)
Department of Pharmacology, University of Liege, Belgium
Acta Neurol Belg 102:104-13. 2002
..To estimate costs associated with dementia and its severity and to identify main cost determinants...
- Direct costs of hip fractures in patients over 60 years of age in Belgium
J Y Reginster
WHO Collaborating Center for Public Health Aspects of Osteoarticular Disorders, Liege, Belgium
Pharmacoeconomics 15:507-14. 1999
..However, in Belgium, very few data on the financial burden of hip fractures are available and no updated estimates have been made...
- Nurses' views on their involvement in euthanasia: a qualitative study in Flanders (Belgium)
B Dierckx de Casterle
Centre for Health Services and Nursing Research, Faculty of Medicine, Catholic University of Leuven, Kapucijnenvoer 35 4, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
J Med Ethics 32:187-92. 2006
..Although nurses worldwide are confronted with euthanasia requests from patients, the views of palliative care nurses on their involvement in euthanasia remain unclear...
- Health risk assessment of dioxin emissions from municipal waste incinerators: the Neerlandquarter (Wilrijk, Belgium)
Flemish Institute for Technological Research VITO, Mol, Belgium
Chemosphere 43:909-23. 2001
..There was no evidence for enhanced exposure to genotoxicants based on a comparison of chromosomal damage to blood cells of children from the study area to those from a control group...
- The future of intercultural mediation in Belgium
Department of Social Medicine, Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, Meibergdreef 15, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Patient Educ Couns 46:253-9. 2002
..The need for intercultural mediation in Belgium Health Care was measured by asking intercultural mediators to complete a questionnaire about situations in which ..
- Socio-economic inequalities in health expectancy in Belgium
Scientific Institute of Public Health, Unit of Epidemiology, J Wytsmanstraat 14, B 1050 Brussels, Belgium
Public Health 118:3-10. 2004
..Interview Survey 1997 has enabled assessment of the association between the level of education and health in Belgium using the composite indicator 'health expectancy'...
- Serum antibodies against circulating influenza strains among vaccinated and unvaccinated general practitioners during two consecutive years (2002-2003)
Centre for General Practice, University of Antwerp Campus Drie Eiken, Universiteitsplein 1, 2610 Wilrijk Antwerpen, Belgium
Vaccine 24:3145-52. 2006
..Besides vaccination, the (high) basic antibody titre before vaccination and working in a child and family preventive medicine unit were predicting a protective antibody level in GPs...
- Involvement of nurses in caring for patients requesting euthanasia in Flanders (Belgium): a qualitative study
Nele De Bal
Centre for Health Services and Nursing Research, Faculty of Medicine, Catholic University of Leuven, Kapucijnenvoer 35 4, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Int J Nurs Stud 43:589-99. 2006
..Although nurses worldwide are confronted with euthanasia requests, how nurses experience their involvement in euthanasia remains unclear...
- Larger than usual increase in cases of hantavirus infections in Belgium, France and Germany, June 2005
Institut de Veille Sanitaire, Saint Maurice, France
Euro Surveill 10:E050721.4. 2005
- Clonal emergence of extended-spectrum beta-lactamase (CTX-M-2)-producing Salmonella enterica serovar Virchow isolates with reduced susceptibilities to ciprofloxacin among poultry and humans in Belgium and France (2000 to 2003)
National Reference Centre for Salmonella and Shigella, Bacteriology Division, Scientific Institute of Public Health, 14 Wytsman Street, B 1050 Brussels, Belgium
J Clin Microbiol 44:2897-903. 2006
..CTX-M-2-producing Salmonella with a reduced susceptibility to fluoroquinolones constitutes a major concern, since such strains could disseminate on a large scale and jeopardize classical antibiotic therapy in immunocompromised patients...
- A seven-year survey of Campylobacter contamination in meat at different production stages in Belgium
Belgian National Reference Laboratory in Food Microbiology for the Federal Agency for the Safety of the Food Chain, University of Liege, Department of Food Sciences, Microbiology, Bat B43b, Sart Tilman, 4000 Liege, Belgium
Int J Food Microbiol 116:111-20. 2007
- Silent iodine prophylaxis in Western Europe only partly corrects iodine deficiency; the case of Belgium
International Council for Control of Iodine Deficiency Disorders ICCIDD, Brussels, Belgium
Eur J Endocrinol 143:189-96. 2000
b>Belgium is one of the Western European countries in which no program of iodine-deficiency correction using iodized salt has been implemented, in spite of well-documented mild iodine deficiency...
- Bacitracin-resistant clone of Streptococcus pyogenes isolated from pharyngitis patients in Belgium
Department of Microbiology, University of Antwerp UIA, Antwerp, Belgium
J Clin Microbiol 41:5282-4. 2003
We report 16 bacitracin-resistant Streptococcus pyogenes isolates recovered from pharyngitis patients in Belgium, 14 of which belonged to a particular emm type (emm28)...
- Echinococcus multilocularis in Belgium: prevalence in red foxes (Vulpes vulpes) and in different species of potential intermediate hosts
Parasitology and Parasitic Diseases Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Liege, Boulevard de Colonster 20, B 43, B4000 Liege, Belgium
Vet Parasitol 151:212-7. 2008
..The purpose of this study was to provide data on the prevalences in Wallonia (Southern part of Belgium) both in the red fox and in different potential intermediate hosts...
- Service use in family caregivers of persons with dementia in Belgium: psychological and social factors
Department of Psychology, Aging Studies Research Group, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium
Health Soc Care Community 16:42-53. 2008
..characteristics of family caregivers of persons with dementia are related to community-based service use in Belgium. Two aspects were distinguished in service utilisation: volume (number of contacts) and diversity (number of ..
- Genetic variation in the endangered wild apple (Malus sylvestris (L.) Mill.) in Belgium as revealed by amplified fragment length polymorphism and microsatellite markers
Department of Plant Genetics and Breeding, Agricultural Research Centre, Caritasstraat 21, 9090 Melle, Belgium
Mol Ecol 12:845-57. 2003
..AFLP) and microsatellite markers to develop a conservation genetics programme for the endangered wild apple in Belgium. In total, 76 putative wild apples (originating from Belgium and Germany), six presumed hybrids and 39 cultivars ..
- Molecular epidemiology of hepatitis C among drug users in Flanders, Belgium: association of genotype with clinical parameters and with sex- and drug-related risk behaviours
Department of General Practice, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Kapucijnenvoer 33 Blok J, 3000, Leuven, Belgium
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 24:514-22. 2005
..Finally, the results suggest that tattooing practices play a role in the spread of HCV among drug users...
- Prevalence and impact of generalized anxiety disorder and major depression in primary care in Belgium and Luxemburg: the GADIS study
Department of Psychiatry and Medical Psychology, CHU du Sart Tilman B35, University of Liege, 4000 Liege, Belgium
Eur Psychiatry 20:229-35. 2005
GADIS aims at determining the prevalence of generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) and major depression (MD) in primary care and their impact on the patient's functioning in Belgium and Luxemburg.
- A Bayesian modelling framework to estimate Campylobacter prevalence and culture methods sensitivity: application to a chicken meat survey in Belgium
Department of Veterinary Public Health and Food Safety, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Ghent University, Merelbeke, Belgium
J Appl Microbiol 105:2002-8. 2008
..To estimate the true prevalence of Campylobacter and the diagnostic sensitivity of routine detection methods by applying a Bayesian modelling approach...
- Radon risk mapping in southern Belgium: an application of geostatistical and GIS techniques
H C Zh
Faculte Polytechnique de Mons, Service de Geologie, Belgium
Sci Total Environ 272:203-10. 2001
A data set of long-term radon measurements in approximately 2200 houses in southern Belgium has been collected in an on-going national radon survey. The spatial variation of indoor Rn concentrations is modelled by variograms...
- Congenital heart disease in 111 225 births in Belgium: birth prevalence, treatment and survival in the 21st century
Center for Health Services and Nursing Research, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Acta Paediatr 98:472-7. 2009
..To investigate the birth prevalence, treatment modalities and short-term survival of children with congenital heart disease who were born in 2002...
- Dying at home or in an institution using death certificates to explore the factors associated with place of death
End of Life Care Research Group, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Brussels, Belgium
Health Policy 78:319-29. 2006
..The knowledge of determinants of place of death is important for public health policy aimed at improving the quality of end-of-life care...
- Prevaccination distribution of human papillomavirus types in women attending at cervical cancer screening in Belgium
Unit of Cancer Epidemiology, Scientific Institute of Public Health, J Wytsmanstreet 14, BE 1050 Brussels, Belgium
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 18:321-30. 2009
- Costs induced by hip fractures: a prospective controlled study in Belgium. Belgian Hip Fracture Study Group
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, European Institute of Oncology, Milan, Italy
Osteoporos Int 11:373-80. 2000
..In conclusion, both acute hospital stays and subsequent medical care contribute significantly to medical costs induced by hip fractures...
- Surveillance of antibiotic susceptibility patterns among Shigella sonnei strains isolated in Belgium during the 18-year period 1990 to 2007
Section of Bacteriology, Scientific Institute of Public Health, Brussels, Belgium
J Clin Microbiol 47:1379-85. 2009
..and pattern of antimicrobial susceptibility of Shigella sonnei, the predominant species causing shigellosis in Belgium. Between 1990 and 2007, a total of 7,307 strains, mainly (98...
- Paleoparasitological remains revealed by seven historic contexts from "Place d'Armes", Namur, Belgium
Gino Chaves da Rocha
Escola Nacional de Saude Publica Sergio Arouca Fiocruz, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 101:43-52. 2006
Human occupation for several centuries was recorded in the archaeological layers of "Place d'Armes", Namur, Belgium. Preventive archaeological excavations were carried out between 1996/1997 and seven historical strata were observed, from ..
- Culicoides trapping with Rothamsted suction traps before and during the bluetongue epidemic of 2006 in Belgium
Department of Biological Control and Plant Genetic Resources, Walloon Agricultural Research Centre CRA W, Chemin de Liroux 2, 5030 Gembloux, Belgium
Prev Vet Med 87:74-83. 2008
The collection of biting midges was taking place some months before the first bluetongue outbreak in Belgium in August 2006...
- Bluetongue in Belgium: episode II
Veterinary and Agrochemical Research Centre, Co ordination Centre for Veterinary Diagnostics, Brussels, Belgium
Transbound Emerg Dis 56:39-48. 2009
..The first BTV-8-case of the year 2007 in Belgium was notified in July. This case was the starting point of a second wave of BT outbreaks...
- Disclosure and health-seeking behaviour following intimate partner violence before and during pregnancy in Flanders, Belgium: a survey surveillance study
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Ghent University, Ghent University Hospital, De Pintelaan 185, 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 137:37-42. 2008
- Place of death in metropolitan regions: metropolitan versus non-metropolitan variation in place of death in Belgium, The Netherlands and England
End of Life Care Research Group, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Laarbeeklaan 103, 1090 Brussels, Belgium
Health Place 16:132-9. 2010
..examined metropolitan/non-metropolitan variation in place of death of patients with life-limiting conditions in Belgium, The Netherlands and England...
- The EPIBEL study: outcomes to discharge from hospital for extremely preterm infants in Belgium
Department of Neonatology, University Hospital Ghent, De Pintelaan 185 B 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Pediatrics 114:663-75. 2004
..To determine mortality and morbidity at discharge from the hospital of a large population-based cohort of infants who were born at <or=26 weeks' gestation...
- Reliability and validity of the Flemish Physical Activity Computerized Questionnaire in adults
Department of Biomedical Kinesiology, Catholic University of Leuven, Belgium
Res Q Exerc Sport 78:293-306. 2007
..From this study, it can be concluded that the FPACQ is a reliable and reasonably valid questionnaire for assessing different dimensions of physical activity and sedentary behavior...
- Birth outcomes of immigrant women in the United States, France, and Belgium
Division of Health Policy and Management, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley 94720 7360, USA
Matern Child Health J 3:177-87. 1999
To compare maternal characteristics and birth outcomes of Mexico-born and native-born mothers in the United States and those of North African mothers living in France and Belgium to French and Belgian nationals.
- Cost-effectiveness of rotavirus vaccination: exploring caregiver(s) and "no medical care'' disease impact in Belgium
Centre for Health Economics and Modelling Infectious Diseases, Centre for the Evaluation of Vaccination, Vaccine and Infectious Disease Institute, University of Antwerp, Belgium
Med Decis Making 29:33-50. 2009
To estimate the cost-effectiveness of universal childhood rotavirus vaccination in Belgium, taking into account the impact of caregiver burden and the burden of sick children for whom no medical care is sought ("no medical care'' ).
- Environmental exposure to cadmium and risk of cancer: a prospective population-based study
Study Coordinating Centre, Hypertension and Cardiovascular Rehabilitation Unit, Department of Cardiovascular Diseases, University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Lancet Oncol 7:119-26. 2006
..We aimed to assess the association between environmental exposure to cadmium and cancer...
- The denominator in general practice, a new approach from the Intego database
Department of General Practice, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Fam Pract 22:442-7. 2005
..To determine the denominator or the 'population at risk' is a problem which has long been encountered in general practice-based epidemiological research. It is important for calculating epidemiological figures...
- School food policy at primary and secondary schools in Belgium-Flanders: does it influence young people's food habits?
C A Vereecken
Department of Public Health, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium
Eur J Clin Nutr 59:271-7. 2005
To describe the availability of food items at primary and secondary schools in Belgium-Flanders and to examine the influence of school food policy (availability of food items, school food rules, nutrition education programmes) and ..
- Antimicrobial resistance in nosocomial bloodstream infection associated with pneumonia and the value of systematic surveillance cultures in an adult intensive care unit
Pieter O Depuydt
Department of Intensive Care, Ghent University Hospital, Gent, Belgium
Crit Care Med 34:653-9. 2006
..To study the occurrence of multiple-drug-resistant pathogens in nosocomial bloodstream infection associated with pneumonia. To evaluate prediction of multiple drug resistance by systematic surveillance cultures...
- Seroprotection against tetanus in patients attending an emergency department in Belgium and evaluation of a bedside immunotest
Department of Emergency Medicine, Erasme University Hospital, Brussels, Belgium
Eur J Emerg Med 14:14-24. 2007
..In most emergency departments, tetanus prophylaxis currently relies on vaccination history. Bedside evaluation of tetanus immunity may improve this process...
- Distribution of hepatitis C virus genotypes among injecting drug users in contact with treatment centers in Belgium, 2004-2005
M I Micalessi
Scientific Institute of Public Health, Virology Section, Department of Microbiology, Juliette Wytsmanstraat 14, Brussels, Belgium
J Med Virol 80:640-5. 2008
..determine the current prevalence of HCV genotypes in injecting drug users recruited at treatment centers all over Belgium, and to analyze if the distribution of genotypes was correlated with demographic characteristics, at-risk ..
- Molecular typing and epidemiology of enteroviruses identified from an outbreak of aseptic meningitis in Belgium during the summer of 2000
Laboratory of Clinical and Epidemiological Virology, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Rega Institute for Medical Research, University of Leuven, Belgium
J Med Virol 70:420-9. 2003
..From May to September 2000, a major outbreak of aseptic meningitis occurred in Belgium. Cerebrospinal fluid samples (CSF) of 122 patients were found to contain enterovirus RNA using diagnostic RT-PCR ..
- Analysis of two imported cases of yellow fever infection from Ivory Coast and The Gambia to Germany and Belgium
Hi Gung Bae
Robert Koch Institute, Nordufer 20, 13353 Berlin, Germany
J Clin Virol 33:274-80. 2005
..Non-vaccinated travelers take a high risk without the effective protection of YFV 17D vaccination...
- European consensus on the medical management of acute radiation syndrome and analysis of the radiation accidents in Belgium and Senegal
Institut de Radioprotection et de Surete Nucleaire, Laboratoire de radiopathologie et de thérapie expérimentale, BP 17, 92262 Fontenay aux Roses, France
Health Phys 98:825-32. 2010
..Thus, a European standard for the evaluation and treatment of ARS victims is now available. This standard may be suitable for application around the world...
- Depression and generalised anxiety in the general population in Belgium: a comparison between native and immigrant groups
University of Antwerp, Faculty of Political and Social Sciences Research Unit on Poverty, Social Exclusion and the City OASeS, Belgium
J Affect Disord 97:229-39. 2007
Knowledge of the mental health status of the general population in Belgium is limited. Only recently have prevalence rates and risk factors for depression and generalised anxiety been identified...
- Population, environmental, and community effects on local bank vole (Myodes glareolus) Puumala virus infection in an area with low human incidence
Department of Biology, Research Group of Evolutionary Ecology, University of Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 8:235-44. 2008
..populations in an area with low human PUUV infection (nephropathia epidemica [NE]) incidence in northern Belgium was monitored for 2 consecutive years. Bank voles were trapped in preferred habitat and tested for anti-PUUV IgG...
- Prevalence of genotypic resistance among antiretroviral drug-naive HIV-1-infected patients in Belgium
K Van Vaerenbergh
Rega Institute for Medical Research, University of Leuven, Belgium
Antivir Ther 6:63-70. 2001
..1995-1998) of genotypic resistance to antiviral drugs in antiretroviral drug-naive HIV-1-infected patients in Belgium. DESIGN: Belgian Aids Reference Laboratories provided retrospective samples and clinical data from antiretroviral ..
- Antimicrobial susceptibility of anaerobic bacteria in Belgium as determined by E-test methodology
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Cliniques Universitaires de Mont Godinne, 5530 Yvoir, Belgium
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 28:261-7. 2009
The objective was to collect recent data on the antibiotic susceptibility of clinically significant anaerobes in Belgium. A total of 333 anaerobic clinical isolates from various body sites were prospectively collected between 2005 and ..
- Nematode parasitism in adult dairy cows in Belgium
Department of Parasitology, University of Gent, Merelbeke, Belgium
Vet Parasitol 90:83-92. 2000
..period of 1 year, from November 1997 to October 1998, the abomasa, blood and faecal samples of 121 dairy cows in Belgium were collected and examined for nematode infections. Nematodes were present in the abomasa of 110 animals...
- Spatial and temporal variations in the occurrence of cocaine and benzoylecgonine in waste- and surface water from Belgium and removal during wastewater treatment
Alexander L N van Nuijs
Toxicological Centre, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Antwerp UA, Universiteitsplein 1, 2610 Antwerp, Belgium
Water Res 43:1341-9. 2009
..BE), in water samples was applied to 10 river sites and 30 wastewater treatment plants (WWTPs) in Belgium. Each river site was sampled twice, during the summer of 2007 and the winter of 2007-2008, while each WWTP was ..
- High prevalence of pituitary adenomas: a cross-sectional study in the province of Liege, Belgium
Adrian F Daly
Department of Endocrinology, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Liege, Domaine Universitaire du Sart Tilman, 4000 Liege, Belgium
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:4769-75. 2006
..Prevalence data are important for assessing the burden of disease on the health care system; data on pituitary adenoma prevalence are very scarce...
- Prevalence and demographic features of childhood growth hormone deficiency in Belgium during the period 1986-2001
Belgian Study Group for Paediatric Endocrinology, Belgium
Eur J Endocrinol 151:67-72. 2004
..of recombinant human growth hormone (rhGH) all children with growth hormone deficiency (GHD) living in Belgium are offered rhGH treatment after approval by a peer-review board...
- Prevalence and correlates of erectile dysfunction in a population-based study in Belgium
Department of Public Health, Ghent University, Belgium
Eur Urol 41:132-8. 2002
This study aims to estimate the prevalence of erectile dysfunction (ED) in the male population of Belgium, and to study its correlation with education, the international prostate symptom scale (IPSS), sexual activity, depression, body ..
- Epidemiology of suicide and suicide attempts in Belgium: results from the sentinel network of general practitioners
Scientific Institute of Public Health, Unit of Epidemiology Brussels, Belgium
Int J Public Health 52:153-7. 2007
To estimate the evolution of incidence of (attempted) suicide between 1993 and 2001 in Belgium and to examine trends in methods, first caretaker and aspects of seasonality.
- Preeclampsia and birthweight by gestational age in singleton pregnancies in Flanders, Belgium: a prospective study
Department of Obstetrics, Antwerp University Hospital UZA, Brussels
Clin Exp Obstet Gynecol 33:96-8. 2006
..We aimed to analyse the influence of chronic hypertension, preeclampsia, gestational hypertension and superimposed preeclampsia on birth weight in singleton pregnancies at different gestational ages...
- Vaccination coverage estimates by EPI cluster sampling survey of children (18-24 months) in Flanders, Belgium
Free University of Brussels, Community Medicine, Belgium
Acta Paediatr 91:599-603. 2002
A random cluster sample according to the EPI cluster sampling technique was conducted in 1999 in Flanders (North Belgium) to ascertain the vaccination coverage of 18 to 24-mo-old children. Polio is the only mandatory vaccine...