- Pathology and viral distribution in fatal Usutu virus infections of birds from the 2001 and 2002 outbreaks in Austria
Institute of Pathology and Forensic Veterinary Medicine, University of Veterinary Medecine, Veterinarplatz 1, Vienna A 1210, Austria
J Comp Pathol 131:176-85. 2004
..All of 33 birds tested additionally by USUV-specific RT-PCR gave positive results...
- Complete genome analysis and molecular characterization of Usutu virus that emerged in Austria in 2001: comparison with the South African strain SAAR-1776 and other flaviviruses
Zoonoses and Emerging Infections Group, Clinical Virology, Clinical Department of Diagnostics, University of Veterinary Medicine, Vienna, A 1210 Vienna, Austria
Virology 328:301-10. 2004
..USUV was detected in Austria in 2001 causing a high mortality rate in blackbirds; the reference strain (SAAR-1776) was isolated in 1958 from ..
- Biennial spring activity of human metapneumovirus in Austria
Stephan W Aberle
Clinical Institute of Virology, Medical University of Vienna, Kinderspitalgasse 15, Vienna, Austria
Pediatr Infect Dis J 27:1065-8. 2008
..To gain insight into the seasonality and epidemiologic characteristics of HMPV infection, this study determined the frequency of HMPV infections in hospitalized infants during a 7-year period...
- Metabolic control as reflected by HbA1c in children, adolescents and young adults with type-1 diabetes mellitus: combined longitudinal analysis including 27,035 patients from 207 centers in Germany and Austria during the last decade
E M Gerstl
Kinderklinik, Technische Universitat Munchen, Munchen, Germany
Eur J Pediatr 167:447-53. 2008
..0001), gender (p<0.02), minority status (p<0.0001), season (p<0.0001), treatment period (p<0.0001), insulin therapy (p<0.0001) and center effect (p<0.0001)...
- Fasting blood glucose and cancer risk in a cohort of more than 140,000 adults in Austria
Department of Epidemiology, University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany
Diabetologia 49:945-52. 2006
..We investigated relations between fasting blood glucose and the incidence of cancer...
- Occurrence and genotyping using automated repetitive-sequence-based PCR of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus ST398 in Southeast Austria
Andrea J Grisold
Institute of Hygiene, Microbiology and Environmental Medicine, Medical University of Graz, Austria
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 66:217-21. 2010
..In conclusion, MRSA ST398 was continuously detected in Southeast Austria; first in 2004 with up to 5 MRSA ST398 isolates in 2008...
- Loss of agro-biodiversity, uncertainty, and perceived control: a comparative risk perception study in Austria and China
Markus R Schmidt
University of Vienna, Institute of Risk Research, Vienna, Austria
Risk Anal 26:455-70. 2006
..or loss of agro-biodiversity) is perceived in comparison to 16 other risk topics by experts and lay people in Austria and China...
- Tick-borne encephalitis from eating goat cheese in a mountain region of Austria
Clinical Institute of Virology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Emerg Infect Dis 15:1671-3. 2009
..This outbreak indicates the emergence of ticks and TBEV at increasing altitudes in central Europe and the efficiency of oral transmission of TBEV...
- Clinical course and the role of shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli infection in the hemolytic-uremic syndrome in pediatric patients, 1997-2000, in Germany and Austria: a prospective study
Zentrum für Kinderheilkunde und Jugendmedizin, Universitat Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
J Infect Dis 186:493-500. 2002
..2000, 394 children with HUS were evaluated in a prospective multicenter surveillance study in Germany and Austria (incidences, 0.7/100,000 and 0.4/100,000 children <15 years old, respectively)...
- Polypharmacy and inappropriate prescribing in elderly internal-medicine patients in Austria
Department of Cardiology and Internal Intensive Care, Salzburger Landeskliniken, Paracelsus Private Medical University Salzburg, Austria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 120:733-41. 2008
- Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus ST398 from human patients, upper Austria
Austrian National Reference Centre for Nosocomial Infections and Antibiotic Resistance, Linz, Austria
Emerg Infect Dis 15:766-9. 2009
..We examined 1,098 confirmed MRSA samples from human patients and found that 21 were MRSA ST398. Most (16) patients were farmers. Increasing prevalence from 1.3% (2006) to 2.5% (2008) shows emergence of MRSA ST398 in humans in Austria.
- Infections of wild animals with Anaplasma phagocytophila in Austria and the Czech Republic
Institute of Microbiology and Immunology, Medical Faculty, University of Ljubljana, Ljubljana, Slovenia
Ann N Y Acad Sci 990:103-6. 2003
- Characterization of clinical Clostridium difficile isolates by PCR ribotyping and detection of toxin genes in Austria, 2006-2007
Austrian Agency for Health and Food Safety AGES, Waeringerstrasse 25a, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
J Med Microbiol 57:702-8. 2008
..to assess the lethality of Clostridium difficile-associated disease (CDAD) and the PCR ribotypes prevalent in Austria, the Austrian Agency for Health and Food Safety requested isolates of C...
- Extraintestinal helminths of the common vole (Microtus arvalis) and the water vole (Arvicola terrestris) in Western Austria (Vorarlberg)
Hans Peter Führer
Department of Medical Parasitology, Institute of Specific Prophylaxis and Tropical Medicine, Medical University Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Parasitol Res 106:1001-4. 2010
..were not found. Our study documents the first description of E. multilocularis DNA in the intermediate host (Microtus arvalis) and of other medically relevant extraintestinal helminths in common and water voles in Austria.
- An ultratriathlon leads to a decrease of body fat and skeletal muscle mass--the Triple Iron Triathlon Austria 2006
Gesundheitszentrum St Gallen, St Gallen, Switzerland
Res Sports Med 16:97-110. 2008
We investigated the effects on body composition in triathletes at the Triple Iron Triathlon Austria in 2006, where athletes had to perform 11.6 km swimming, 540 km cycling, and 126.6 km running within 58 h...
- Psychotropic medication use among nursing home residents in Austria: a cross-sectional study
General practice and Institute for Health Services Research, Rankweil, Austria
BMC Geriatr 9:18. 2009
..In Austria, prevalence data are lacking...
- Assessing the impact of media guidelines for reporting on suicides in Austria: interrupted time series analysis
Medical University of Vienna, Center for Public Health, Institute for Medical Psychology, Severingasse 9, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 41:419-28. 2007
..This report provides an evaluation of the Austrian guidelines that were introduced in 1987 as a natural experiment...
- SLC2A9 influences uric acid concentrations with pronounced sex-specific effects
Institute of Epidemiology, Helmholtz Zentrum Munchen, German Research Center for Environmental Health, 85764 Neuherberg, Germany
Nat Genet 40:430-6. 2008
..these findings in three independent samples from Germany (KORA S4 and SHIP (Study of Health in Pomerania)) and Austria (SAPHIR; Salzburg Atherosclerosis Prevention Program in Subjects at High Individual Risk), with P values ranging ..
- Long-term tracking of cardiovascular risk factors among men and women in a large population-based health system: the Vorarlberg Health Monitoring & Promotion Programme
Institute of Biostatistics and Documentation, Leopold Franzens University of Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
Eur Heart J 24:1004-13. 2003
..Tracking coefficients were weaker among initially high-risk individuals...
- Weight change and cancer risk in a cohort of more than 65,000 adults in Austria
Institute of Epidemiology, University of Ulm, Helmholtzstrasse, Germany
Ann Oncol 19:641-8. 2008
..To investigate relations between weight loss or weight gain and the incidence of cancer...
- Field effectiveness of vaccination against tick-borne encephalitis
Franz X Heinz
Institute of Virology, Medical University of Vienna, Kinderspitalgasse 15, AT 1095 Vienna, Austria
Vaccine 25:7559-67. 2007
..b>Austria presents an exceptional situation because 88% of the total population have a history of TBE vaccination, with 58% ..
- Enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli (EHEC) in pediatric hemolytic-uremic syndrome: a prospective study in Germany and Austria
H M Verweyen
Childrens University Hospital, Freiburg, Germany
Infection 27:341-7. 1999
..In 1997 a prospective study was performed in Germany and Austria to assess the distribution of EHEC serotypes, to characterize the clinical course and to examine environmental ..
- Progressive hearing loss, and recurrent sudden sensorineural hearing loss associated with GJB2 mutations--phenotypic spectrum and frequencies of GJB2 mutations in Austria
Andreas R Janecke
Institute of Medical Biology and Human Genetics, University of Innsbruck, Schöpfstr 41, A 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Hum Genet 111:145-53. 2002
..9%) for the most common Caucasian mutation in this gene, c.35delG, was determined in 1,212 blood donors from West-Austria, supporting the prevailing hypothesis of a Mediterranean founder mutation...
- Impact of a pertussis booster vaccination program in adolescents and adults on the epidemiology of pertussis in Austria
Department of Specific Prophylaxis and Tropical Medicine, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Pediatr Infect Dis J 26:806-10. 2007
..In Austria, routine pertussis vaccination for babies is administered at 3, 4, and 5 months, and in the second year of life...
- Brachybacterium fresconis sp. nov. and Brachybacterium sacelli sp. nov., isolated from deteriorated parts of a medieval wall painting of the chapel of Castle Herberstein (Austria)
Laboratorium voor Microbiologie, Universiteit Gent, Belgium
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 52:1641-6. 2002
..samples of microbial biofilms, damaging the mural paintings at the Saint-Catherine chapel of Castle Herberstein (Austria), four and nine coryneform bacteria were isolated, respectively...
- [The first autochthonous case of subcutaneous dirofilariosis in Austria]
Abteilung fur Medizinische Parasitologie, Klinisches Institut fur Hygiene und Medizinische Mikrobiologie, MUW, Wien, Osterreich
Wien Klin Wochenschr 120:104-6. 2008
..Autochthonous infections of dogs, foxes or cats with D. repens has not been found in Austria so far; however, 12 cases of imported subcutaneous dirofilariosis in man were noticed between 1981 and 2005...
- Usutu virus activity in Austria, 2001-2002
Institute of Pathology and Forensic Veterinary Medicine, University of Veterinary Medicine, Vienna, Veterinarplatz 1, A 1210 Vienna, Austria
Microbes Infect 5:1132-6. 2003
..a member of the mosquito-borne clade within the Flaviviridae family, was responsible for avian mortality in Austria in 2001. In 2002, the virus continued to kill birds, predominantly blackbirds...
- Halomonas muralis sp. nov., isolated from microbial biofilms colonizing the walls and murals of the Saint-Catherine chapel (Castle Herberstein, Austria)
Vakgroep BFM WE10V, Laboratorium voor Microbiologie, K L Ledeganckstraat 35, B 9000 Gent, Belgium
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 52:2049-54. 2002
..painting, both heavily contaminated by microbial growth, inside the Saint-Catherine chapel of Castle Herberstein (Austria)...
- Genetic diversity among isolates of Paenibacillus larvae from Austria
Institute for Apiculture, Austrian Agency for Health and Food Safety AGES, Vienna, Austria
J Invertebr Pathol 100:44-6. 2009
Genetic diversity of 214 Paenibacillus larvae strains from Austria was studied...
- Serological evidence of continuing high Usutu virus (Flaviviridae) activity and establishment of herd immunity in wild birds in Austria
Institute of Pathology and Forensic Veterinary Medicine, Department of Pathobiology, University of Veterinary Medicine, Vienna, Austria
Vet Microbiol 127:237-48. 2008
Usutu virus (USUV), family Flaviviridae, has been responsible for avian mortality in Austria from 2001 to 2006. The proportion of USUV-positive individuals among the investigated dead birds decreased dramatically after 2004...
- Cost-effectiveness analysis of human papillomavirus-vaccination programs to prevent cervical cancer in Austria
Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for Health Technology Assessment, Vienna, Austria
Vaccine 27:5133-41. 2009
..The study predicts long-term cervical cancer related population health and economic effects of introducing the HPV-vaccination for 12-year-old girls (and boys) in addition to current screening compared with screening only...
- Comparison of the eating disorder inventory (EDI) in the Netherlands, Austria and Italy
Department of Psychological Basic Research, Faculty of Psychology, University of Vienna, Austria
Eur Eat Disord Rev 16:472-9. 2008
..Comparison of scores of the Eating Disorder Inventory (EDI) in non-clinical females aged 15-35 years (total n = 2402) in three European countries with North-South variation...
- Evaluations of health interventions in social insurance-based countries: Germany, the Netherlands, and Austria
ITA Institute of Technology Assessment, Austrian Academy of Sciences, Strohgasse 45, A 1030, Vienna, Austria
Health Policy 63:187-96. 2003
..Health Technology Assessment (HTA) in social insurance-based, or so-called 'Bismarck' health care systems (Germany, Austria, and the Netherlands) has taken a different course than in either taxed-based (Sweden, Norway, United Kingdom, ..
- Infection of red deer, cattle, and humans with Mycobacterium bovis subsp. caprae in western Austria
Wolfgang M Prodinger
Institut für Hygiene und Sozialmedizin, University of Innsbruck, Austria
J Clin Microbiol 40:2270-2. 2002
..caprae infection have occurred in four humans, three cattle, and five red deer in western Austria since 1994...
- Digit ratio (2D:4D) in homosexual and heterosexual men from Austria
Department of Psychology, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Arch Sex Behav 34:335-40. 2005
..It is concluded that more data are required to clarify whether or not there is a 2D:4D effect for sexual orientation in men...
- Prevalence of antibodies against Neospora caninum and Toxoplasma gondii in dogs and foxes in Austria
Institute of Parasitology and Zoology, Department of Pathobiology, University of Veterinary Medicine, Veterinarplatz 1, 1210 Vienna, Austria
Vet Parasitol 128:189-93. 2005
Sera from 1770 dogs and 94 red foxes from Austria were examined for antibodies against Neospora caninum using the indirect immunofluorescent antibody test (IFAT). 3.6% of the dogs were seropositive with titres ranging from 1:50 to 1:6400...
- Cost-effectiveness of palivizumab against respiratory syncytial viral infection in high-risk children in Austria
Department of Pediatrics, University Hospital Graz, Graz, Austria
Clin Ther 30:749-60. 2008
The aim of this study was to estimate the cost-effectiveness of palivizumab, a monoclonal antibody against severe respiratory syncytial virus infection, in high-risk infants in Austria.
- Elements of the surname structure of Austria
Department of Biology, University of Ferrara, Italy
Ann Hum Biol 27:607-22. 2000
The isonymy structure of Austria was studied using the surname distributions in 1081002 private telephone users selected from about 4000000 registered in a 1996 commercial CD-ROM, which contains all Austrian users...
- Molecular evidence of Anaplasma phagocytophilum in Ixodes ricinus ticks and wild animals in Austria
Department of Neurology, Christian Doppler Klinik, Salzburg, Austria
J Clin Microbiol 42:2285-6. 2004
- Psychoeducation in schizophrenia--results of a survey of all psychiatric institutions in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Klinikum rechts der Isar der Technischen Universitat Munchen, Möhlstrasse 26, 81675 Munchen, Germany
Schizophr Bull 32:765-75. 2006
..The aims of this study were to investigate the percentage of patients and family members participating in psychoeducation in the year 2003 and to evaluate how psychoeducation was conducted...
- Italy and Austria before and after study: second-hand smoke exposure in hospitality premises before and after 2 years from the introduction of the Italian smoking ban
Environmental and Occupational Epidemiology Unit, Center for Study and Prevention of Cancer CSPO, Florence, Italy
Indoor Air 18:328-34. 2008
..HPs) in Florence and Belluno, Italy, where a smoking ban was introduced in 2005, and in 19 HPs in Vienna, Austria, where no anti-smoking law entered into force up to now...
- Economic impact of community- and nosocomially acquired rotavirus gastroenteritis in Austria
Department of Pediatrics, University Hospital, Innsbruck, Austria
Pediatr Infect Dis J 20:184-8. 2001
..To determine the average costs per child for rotavirus (RV) acute gastroenteritis from different perspectives, from the hospital's, third-party payer's, pediatrician's and family's perspectives as well as in summary from the societal one...
- A 5-year (2000-2004) epidemiological survey of Candida and non-Candida yeast species causing vulvovaginal candidiasis in Graz, Austria
Institute of Hygiene, Medical University, Graz, Austria
Mycoses 49:471-5. 2006
..glabrata and Saccharomyces cerevisiae. During a 1-year period 185 patients showed more than one episode of VVC. Patients aged 21-40 years were significantly more prone to suffer from VVC compared with other age-related groups...
- COPD prevalence in Salzburg, Austria: results from the Burden of Obstructive Lung Disease (BOLD) Study
Department of Pneumology, Paracelsus Private Medical School, Salzburg, Austria
Chest 131:29-36. 2007
..The Burden of Obstructive Lung Disease initiative was started to measure the prevalence of COPD in a standardized way and to provide estimates of the social and economic burden of disease...
- Suicidality, psychopathology, and gender in incarcerated adolescents in Austria
Department of Child and Adolescent Neuropsychiatry, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
J Clin Psychiatry 68:1593-600. 2007
..The objective of this study was to determine gender-specific psychopathologic profiles associated with suicidality in detained juveniles...
- Echinococcus canadensis G7 (pig strain): an underestimated cause of cystic echinococcosis in Austria
Department of Medical Parasitology, Institute of Specific Prophylaxis and Tropical Medicine, Medical University Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Am J Trop Med Hyg 82:871-4. 2010
..canadensis as a cause of human Cystic Echinococcosis in Central Europe and accordingly this new species has to be included into future echinococcosis control programs...
- Glutathione-S-transferase polymorphism, metallothionein expression, and mercury levels among students in Austria
Medical University of Vienna, Center for Public Health, Dept of Ecotoxicology, Waehringer Strasse 10, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Sci Total Environ 385:37-47. 2007
..Humans accumulate heavy metals primarily as a result of lifestyle and environmental contamination. However, not all humans experience the estimated individual exposure. This suggests the presence of genetic regulatory mechanisms...
- Explaining Usutu virus dynamics in Austria: model development and calibration
Department of Natural Sciences, University of Veterinary Medicine, Vienna VUW, Veterinarplatz 1, A 1210 Vienna, Austria
Prev Vet Med 85:166-86. 2008
..Japanese encephalitis virus complex, was for the first time detected outside Africa in the region around Vienna (Austria) in 2001 by Weissenböck et al. [Weissenböck, H., Kolodziejek, J., Url, A., Lussy, H., Rebel-Bauder, B...
- Analysis of vaccine-virus-associated rabies cases in red foxes (Vulpes vulpes) after oral rabies vaccination campaigns in Germany and Austria
Friedrich Loeffler Institut, WHO Collaborating Centre for Rabies Surveillance and Research, Wusterhausen, Germany
Arch Virol 154:1081-91. 2009
To eradicate rabies in foxes, almost 97 million oral rabies vaccine baits have been distributed in Germany and Austria since 1983 and 1986, respectively. Since 2007, no terrestrial cases have been reported in either country...
- Ten years of antibiotic consumption in ambulatory care: trends in prescribing practice and antibiotic resistance in Austria
Dept of Hygiene, Microbiology and Tropical Medicine, Elisabethinen Hospital Linz, Fadingerstrasse 1, 4010 Linz, Austria
BMC Infect Dis 9:61. 2009
The primary aims of this study were (i) to determine the quantity and pattern of antibiotic use in Austria between 1998 and 2007 and (ii) to analyze antibiotic esistance rates in relation to antibiotic consumption in important clinical ..
- Pestivirus exposure in free-living and captive deer in Austria
II Medical Clinic for Ruminants and Swine, Veterinary University of Vienna, 1210 Vienna, Austria
J Wildl Dis 40:791-5. 2004
..Rupicapra rupicapra) were collected from nine hunting districts (n = 133) and one deer farm (n = 12) in southern Austria. Sera were tested for antibodies against bovine viral diarrhea virus (BVDV) with an enzyme-linked immunosorbent ..
- [Screening for antibodies against zoonotic agents among employees of the Zoological Garden of Vienna, Schönbrunn, Austria]
Institut für Parasitologie und Zoologie, Department für Pathobiologie, Veterinärmedizinische Universität Wien
Berl Munch Tierarztl Wochenschr 117:404-9. 2004
..prevalence of antibodies against zoonotic agents in employees of the zoological garden of Vienna, Schönbrunn, Austria. Sixty out of 120 employees participated in the study...
- Impact of recent reforms in Austria on utilization and expenditure of PPIs and lipid-lowering drugs: implications for the future
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Division of Clinical Pharmacology, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital Huddinge, SE 141 86, Stockholm, Sweden
Expert Rev Pharmacoecon Outcomes Res 9:475-84. 2009
To assess the impact of a plethora of reforms and initiatives introduced in Austria since 2002 on the actual utilization and expenditure of proton pump inhibitors and statins.
- Etiology of acute gastroenteritis in three sentinel general practices, Austria 2007
Osterreichische Agentur fur Gesundheit und Ernahrungssicherheit, Vienna, Austria
Infection 37:103-8. 2009
..This is the first study in Austria that has investigated a broad range of pathogens recovered from an unselected population of patients who had ..
- Genetic background of lead and mercury metabolism in a group of medical students in Austria
Medical University of Vienna, Center for Public Health, Lab Ecotoxicology, Waehringer Strasse 10, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Environ Res 109:786-96. 2009
..There is increasing evidence that certain genetic polymorphisms modify lead and mercury toxicokinetics. This called for analysis of further candidate genes...
- Descriptive epidemiology of thyroid carcinoma in Carinthia, Austria: 1984-2001. Histopathologic features and tumor classification of 734 cases under elevated general iodination of table salt since 1990: population-based age-stratified analysis on thyroid
I Gomez Segovia
Department of Nuclear Medicine and Special Endocrinology PET Center, General State Hospital, Klagenfurt, Austria
Thyroid 14:277-86. 2004
..the current thyroid carcinoma (TC) incidence in Carinthia, a former iodine-deficient, goiter-endemic region in Austria with approximately 550,000 inhabitants from 1984 to 2001...
- Measles outbreak linked to a minority group in Austria, 2008
Osterreichische Agentur für Gesundheit und Ernährungssicherheit Austrian Agency for Health and Food Safety, AGES, Vienna, Austria
Epidemiol Infect 138:415-25. 2010
We report on a measles outbreak originating in an anthroposophic community in Austria, 2008. A total of 394 (94.9%) cases fulfilled the outbreak case definition including 168 cases affiliated to the anthroposophic community...
- One-year prevalence of migraine in Austria: a nation-wide survey
Department of Neurology and Psychiatry, Pain and Headache Centre at the General Hospital, Linz, Austria
Cephalalgia 23:280-6. 2003
This study presents the first nation-wide survey of migraine in Austria. A sample of 997 Austrian > or = 15 years old were interviewed personally (face-to-face) in a random sample in the whole country...
- Body mass index and mortality: results of a cohort of 184,697 adults in Austria
Institute of Epidemiology, University of Ulm, Helmholtzstrasse 22, 89081 Ulm, Germany
Eur J Epidemiol 24:83-91. 2009
..investigated the association between BMI and all-cause mortality and cause-specific mortality within a cohort in Austria. Design of this article is "Cohort study". The Subjects used were 184,697 men and women (mean age 41.7 +/- 15...
- Cholesteryl ester transfer protein TaqIB polymorphism and its relation to parameters of the insulin resistance syndrome in an Austrian cohort
1st Department of Medicine, St Johanns Spital, Paracelsus Medical University Salzburg, Salzburg, Austria
Biomed Pharmacother 58:619-27. 2004
..We found a significant sex specific effect of the TaqIB CETP polymorphism on the insulin resistance parameters HDL-cholesterol and sdLDL in an Austrian population based study...
- Higher mRNA levels of chemokines and cytokines associated with macrophage activation in erythema migrans skin lesions in patients from the United States than in patients from Austria with Lyme borreliosis
Kathryn L Jones
Division of Rheumatology, Allergy, and Immunology, Center for Immunology and Inflammatory Diseases, Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Clin Infect Dis 46:85-92. 2008
..afzelii infection in Europe. However, reasons for these differences are not yet known...
- Complexity of bacterial communities in a river-floodplain system (Danube, Austria)
Division of Limnology, Institute of Ecology and Conservation Biology, Althanstr 14, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Appl Environ Microbiol 71:609-20. 2005
..Our results demonstrate the importance of the river-floodplain interactions and the influence of damming and regulation on the bacterial-community composition...
- Natural history of invasive cutaneous melanoma in Styria, Austria 2001-2003
Department of Dermatology, Medical University of Graz, Austria
J Dtsch Dermatol Ges 5:293-9. 2007
..Rising melanoma incidences have created the need of assessment of epidemiological and clinical data...
- Changing pattern of candidaemia 2001-2006 and use of antifungal therapy at the University Hospital of Vienna, Austria
Department of Medicine I, Division of Infectious Diseases, Medical University of Vienna, Austria
Clin Microbiol Infect 13:1072-6. 2007
- Genetic diversity of pestivirus isolates in cattle from Western Austria
Austrian Agency for Health and Food Safety AGES, Robert Koch Gasse 17, 2340 Moedling, Austria
Vet Microbiol 135:205-13. 2009
..The genetic diversity of bovine viral diarrhoea virus (BVDV) isolates in infected cattle from Tyrol and Vorarlberg (Austria) was investigated...
- Simulation of climate-change scenarios to explain Usutu-virus dynamics in Austria
Institute for Veterinary Public Health, University of Veterinary Medicine Vienna VUW, Veterinarplatz 1, A 1210 Vienna, Austria
Prev Vet Med 88:24-31. 2009
..A recent example is the Usutu virus (USUV) outbreak in Austria. USUV is closely related to the West Nile virus in the U.S...
- Latent carcinoma of the thyroid in Austria: a systematic autopsy study
Department of Pathology and Bacteriology, Kaiserin Elisabeth Spital der Gemeinde Wien, Huglgasse 1 3, A 1150, Vienna, Austria
Endocr Pathol 12:23-31. 2001
..the introduction of iodine goiter prophylaxis in the early sixties, iodine supply is still insufficient in Austria and goiter remains endemic...
- Distribution of rotavirus VP4 genotypes and VP7 serotypes among nonhospitalized and hospitalized patients with gastroenteritis and patients with nosocomially acquired gastroenteritis in Austria
Department of Pediatrics, University Hospital, Innsbruck, Austria
J Clin Microbiol 38:1804-6. 2000
..No differences between the three groups were observed, suggesting that community vaccination will diminish the most cost-relevant cases of hospitalizations and nosocomial infections...
- Impact of a novel dental school admission test on student performance at Innsbruck Medical University, Austria
Ulrike Stephanie Beier
Clinical Department of Restorative and Prosthetic Dentistry, Innsbruck Medical University, MZA, Anichstrasse 35, A 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
J Dent Educ 74:531-8. 2010
Since the year 2000, prospective dental students at Innsbruck Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria, have undergone both theoretical and practical preadmission exams, called the Dental Admission Test (DAT)...
- Psychoeducation in anxiety disorders: Results of a survey of all psychiatric institutions in Germany, Austria and Switzerland
Klinik und Poliklinik für Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie am Klinikum rechts der Isar der Technischen Universität München, Germany
Psychiatry Res 169:180-2. 2009
..psychoeducation for anxiety disorders using a two-part survey addressing all psychiatric institutions in Germany, Austria and Switzerland...
- Assessment of mobile dental services in the State of Lower Austria, Austria
Ana Cláudia Corrêa da Fonseca
Danube University, Krems, Austria
Gerodontology 26:302-4. 2009
..the existence and the quality of mobile dental services available to the austrian elderly population of Lower Austria, Austria, using two approaches: the home-bound elders' perception and the dentistry services provided in nursery ..
- Is public health between East and West? Analysis of wealth, health and mortality in Austria, Central and Eastern European Countries and Croatia relative to the European Union
M M Hofmarcher
Department of Finance, Institute for Advanced Studies IHS, A 1060 Wien, Austria
Croat Med J 39:241-8. 1998
..To provide a conceptual framework for health planning activities in the "middle income" transition countries...
- Physicians' attitudes towards eprescribing: a comparative web survey in Austria and Sweden
eHealth Institute, School of Human Sciences, University of Kalmar, SE 391 82 Kalmar, Sweden
Inform Prim Care 17:241-8. 2009
..So far, implementation activities and efforts of the member states have been uneven. While in Austria pilot projects and feasibility studies have been conducted, Sweden has always been one of the leading countries ..
- A regional outbreak of S. Enteritidis phage type 5, traced back to the flocks of an egg producer, Austria
National Reference Centre for Salmonella at the Austrian Agency for Health and Food Safety, Graz, Austria
Euro Surveill 8:195-8. 2003
..of 2002, the Nationale Referenzzentrale für Salmonellen (National Reference Centre for Salmonella - NRCS) in Austria noticed a cluster of human Salmonella enterica subsp. enterica ser. Enteritidis phage type 5 (S...
- Mortality of opiate users in Vienna, Austria
Institute of Forensic Medicine, University of Vienna, Sensengasse 2, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Drug Alcohol Depend 64:251-6. 2001
..rates of opiate users in maintenance treatment and of opiate users not in any drug treatment program in Vienna, Austria. A cohort of opiate-users enrolled in maintenance treatment in Vienna and a cohort of individuals involved in ..
- Associations of income with self-reported ill-health and health resources in a rural community sample of Austria
Institute of Social Medicine and Epidemiology, University of Graz
Soz Praventivmed 46:106-14. 2001
..The particular aim of this study was to obtain information on the association of income data with self-reported ill-health...
- Survival in a cohort of patients with haemophilia at the haemophilia care center in Vienna, Austria, from 1983 to 2006
Division of Haematology and Haemostaseology, Department of Medicine I, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna A 1090, Austria
Haemophilia 15:888-93. 2009
..It can, therefore, be concluded that the survival of patients with severe haemophilia is still decreased compared to those with non-severe haemophilia and the general male population, regardless of HIV-infection...
- Toxicity assessment of wastewaters, river waters, and sediments in Austria using cost-effective microbiotests
Institute of Hydrobiology, Ichthyology and Apidology, University of Veterinary Medicine, Veterinarplatz 1, A 1210 Vienna, Austria
Environ Toxicol 19:302-9. 2004
The toxicity and chemical quality of surface water and sediment in the River Traun in Austria were studied because of recurrent fish mortality in some alpine rivers over the last few years...
- Immunohistochemistry, ultrastructure and pathology of gills of Abramis brama from Lake Mondsee, Austria, infected with Ergasilus sieboldi (Copepoda)
Bahram Sayyaf Dezfuli
Department of Biology, University of Ferrara, Via Borsari 46, 44100 Ferrara, Italy
Dis Aquat Organ 53:257-62. 2003
..from Lake Mondsee, Austria, that were naturally infected with Ergasilus sieboldi Nordmann, 1832...
- Prevalence of overweight and obesity in male adolescents in Austria between 1985 and 2000. A population based study
University Children s Hospital, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 17:67-72. 2004
..To analyse the prevalence of overweight and obesity in young Austrian men, to describe a possible time trend during the observation period 1985-2000 and to define regional differences within the country...
- Some aspects of the reform of the health care systems in Austria, Germany and Switzerland
Department of Public Finance, Leopold Franzens University of Innsbruck, Austria
Health Care Anal 7:331-54. 1999
The health care systems in Austria, Germany and Switzerland owe their institutional structure to different historical developments...
- Highlights in the history of neurosciences in Austria--review
K A Jellinger
Institute of Clinical Neurobiology, Vienna, Austria
Clin Neuropathol 25:243-52. 2006
- Under-reporting of direct and indirect obstetrical deaths in Austria, 1980-98
Division of Epidemiology, Institute of Cancer Research, Medical Faculty, University of Vienna, Vienna
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 81:323-7. 2002
..The aims of this study were to determine to what extent maternal deaths are under-reported in Austria and to determine factors that might explain under-reporting.
- Is there a relationship between street heroin purity and drug-related emergencies and/or drug-related deaths? An analysis from Vienna, Austria
Department of Forensic Medicine, Medical University of Vienna, Sensengasse 2, 1090 Vienna, Austria
J Forensic Sci 52:1171-6. 2007
- Prevalence of antibodies to pestiviruses in goats in Austria
Clinic for Ruminants, Department for Farm Animals and Herd Management, University of Veterinary Medicine, Veterinarplatz 1, A 1210 Vienna, Austria
J Vet Med B Infect Dis Vet Public Health 53:48-50. 2006
Serological investigations were carried out to determine the prevalence of pestiviral infections in goats in Austria, and to investigate the possible relations to herd management practices...
- Fish macroparasites as indicators of heavy metal pollution in river sites in Austria
Institut für Okologie and Naturschutz, Universitat Wien, Althanstrasse 14, A 1090, Wien
Parasitology 126:S61-9. 2003
..evaluate the use of fish macroparasites as bioindicators of heavy metal pollution at selected river stretches in Austria. Firstly changes in the diversity and richness of endoparasites of the cyprinid barbel, Barbrus barbuls (L...
- First documented case of human granulocytic ehrlichiosis in Austria
Institut für Hygiene und Sozialmedizin, Universitat Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 115:263-6. 2003
We report the first documented case of human granulocytic ehrlichiosis (HGE) in Austria. The infection was acquired near Arzl in the surroundings of Innsbruck in northern Tyrol...
- Cercarial dermatitis in Austria: questionnaires as useful tools to estimate risk factors?
Department of Invertebrate Zoology, Natural History Museum Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 118:77-80. 2006
..They can not mature in humans, but die shortly after penetration. Cercarial dermatitis is known in Austria since 1969, with regularly occurrences nearly every summer...
- Role of Chlamydophila pneumoniae in children hospitalized for community-acquired pneumonia in Vienna, Austria
Department of Pediatrics, Danube Hospital, Vienna, Austria
Pediatr Pulmonol 44:873-6. 2009
..pneumoniae) as causative agent in youths and children hospitalized with community-acquired pneumonia (CAP). These data would serve as a rationale for empiric antimicrobial therapy...
- Gallbladder sarcoma: a clinicopathological study of seven cases from the UK and Austria with emphasis on morphological subtypes
E A Husain
Department of Histopathology, Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, Aberdeen, UK
Dig Dis Sci 54:395-400. 2009
..Most of these have been diagnosed as leiomyosarcoma. We aimed to evaluate the histological features of a case series of this rare tumor and correlate these with clinical features...
- Population genetics of ten STR loci (AmpFlSTR SGM plus) in Austria
Institute of Legal Medicine, Mullerstrasse 44, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Int J Legal Med 114:288-90. 2001
..All loci met Hardy-Weinberg expectations. The combined power of exclusion for the ten STR loci was 0.999976. The results show that these loci are very useful for forensic purposes...
- Mumps outbreak affecting adolescents and young adults in Austria, 2006: update
Osterreichische Agentur fur Gesundheit und Ernahrungssicherheit, Vienna, Austria
Euro Surveill 11:E060706.2. 2006
- STR data for the AmPFlSTR SGM plus from a regional population of Austria
Institute of Forensic Medicine, University of Vienna, Sensengasse 2, A-1090 Vienna, Austria
Forensic Sci Int 122:181-3. 2001
..This study was done on a population sample of 609 unrelated individuals from the city of Vienna...
- Epidemiology of suicide in Austria 1990-2000: general decrease, but increased suicide risk for old men
Furtbach Hospital for Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Stuttgart, Germany
Wien Klin Wochenschr 117:31-5. 2005
The epidemiology of suicide in Austria, 1990-2000, was investigated.
- Severe traumatic brain injury in Austria I: introduction to the study
INRO International Neurotrauma Research Organisation, Vienna, Austria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 119:23-8. 2007
..Brain Injury Study were to investigate the current management of patients with severe traumatic brain injury in Austria and to assess the effects of introducing guidelines for the management of severe traumatic brain injury upon the ..
- School accidents in Austria
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Medical University of Graz, Auenbruggerplatz 34, 8036 Graz, Austria
Pediatr Surg Int 23:861-5. 2007
The aim of this study was to obtain information about the mechanisms and types of injuries in school in Austria. Children between 0 and 18 years of age presenting with injuries at the trauma outpatient in the Department of Pediatric ..
- Epidemiology of enterovirus types causing neurological disease in Austria 1999-2007: detection of clusters of echovirus 30 and enterovirus 71 and analysis of prevalent genotypes
Institute for Medical Microbiology, Austrian Agency for Health and Food Safety, Vienna, Austria
J Med Virol 81:317-24. 2009
..Typing revealed an Echovirus 30 outbreak in northwestern Austria in 2000, which was in accordance with the situation in Europe, and no dramatic seasonal changes of Coxsackie ..
- The impact of surface water exchange on the nutrient and particle dynamics in side-arms along the River Danube, Austria
Institute of Ecology and Conservation Biology, Department of Limnology, University of Vienna, Althanstrasse 14, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Sci Total Environ 328:207-18. 2004
..riverine flow in a side-arm. The hydrologic parameters were useful predictors for evaluating the effects of restoration measures in river floodplain systems...
- Epidemiological data of cryptococcosis in Austria, Germany and Switzerland: part of the ECMM survey in Europe. European Confederation of Medical Mycology
Robert Koch Institut, Berlin, Germany
Mycoses 44:345-50. 2001
The data raised for Cryptococcus neoformans and cryptococcosis in Austria, Germany and Switzerland during the period from July 1997 to December 1999 are presented and analysed according to the epidemiological criteria...
- Relevance of the A1555G mutation in the 12S rRNA gene for hearing impairment in Austria
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Medical University of Vienna, Austria
Otol Neurotol 28:884-6. 2007
..To analyze the prevalence and importance of the maternally inherited A1555G mutation in the 12S rRNA gene in the Austrian population...
- Dynamics and predicted decline of Anguillicola crassus infection in European eels, Anguilla anguilla, in Neusiedler See, Austria
Institute of Ecology and Conservation Biology, University of Vienna, Austria
J Helminthol 79:159-67. 2005
..Differences in eel size, eel diet and the lack of large-scale insecticide use are discussed as possible explanations for the absence of eel mass mortalities in Neusiedler See...