Genomes and Genes
Summary: A state in western Australia. Its capital is Perth. It was first visited by the Dutch in 1616 but the English took possession in 1791 and permanent colonization began in 1829. It was a penal settlement 1850-1888, became part of the colonial government in 1886, and was granted self government in 1890. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p1329)
Publications292 found, 100 shown here
- A validation study: how effective is the Hospital Morbidity Data as a surveillance tool for heart failure in Western Australia?Tiew Hwa Katherine Teng
School of Population Heath, University of Western Australia, Crawley, Western Australia, Australia
Aust N Z J Public Health 32:405-7. 2008..To determine the accuracy of the hospital discharge coding of heart failure (HF) in the Western Australian (WA) Hospital Morbidity Data (HMD)...
- Incidence of the mucopolysaccharidoses in Western AustraliaJohn Nelson
Genetic Services of Western Australia, King Edward Memorial Hospital for Women, Perth, Australia
Am J Med Genet A 123:310-3. 2003An epidemiological study of the mucopolysaccharidoses in Western Australia (WA) using multiple ascertainment sources was carried out and the incidence rate for the period 1969-1996 was estimated...
- Heart failure: incidence, case fatality, and hospitalization rates in Western Australia between 1990 and 2005Tiew Hwa Katherine Teng
School of Population Health, University of Western Australia, Perth, Western Australia
Circ Heart Fail 3:236-43. 2010..We examined trends in incidence of first-ever (index) hospitalization for heart failure (HF), hospitalization rates, and 30-day and 1-year all-cause mortality subsequent to index hospitalization for HF...
- Rapidly increasing prevalence of eosinophilic oesophagitis in Western AustraliaS Cherian
Department of Histopathology, PathWest Laboratory Medicine KEMH PMH, Perth, Australia
Arch Dis Child 91:1000-4. 2006..To assess the prevalence of eosinophilic oesophagitis in a tertiary paediatric gastroenterology clinic population...
- The molecular epidemiology and evolution of the Panton-Valentine leukocidin-positive, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strain USA300 in Western AustraliaS Monecke
Institute for Medical Microbiology and Hygiene, Faculty of Medicine Carl Gustav Carus, Technical University of Dresden, D 01307 Dresden, Germany
Clin Microbiol Infect 15:770-6. 2009..Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)-12' (WA MRSA-12) were recovered from 72 patients living in the Perth area in Western Australia. These isolates were found to belong to multilocus sequence type 8, and had a USA300-like pulsed-field gel ..
- Persistent high rates of hysterectomy in Western Australia: a population-based study of 83 000 procedures over 23 yearsK Spilsbury
Centre for Health Services Research, School of Population Health, University of Western Australia, Crawley, Western Australia, Australia
BJOG 113:804-9. 2006To investigate incidence trends and demographic, social and health factors associated with the rate of hysterectomy and morbidity outcomes in Western Australia and compare these with international studies.
- Factors associated with dental admissions for children aged under 5 years in Western AustraliaL Slack-Smith
School of Population Health, The University of Western Australia, Crawley, Western Australia, Australia
Arch Dis Child 94:517-23. 2009..There is limited literature describing dental admissions in preschool children. This paper describes dental hospital admissions and associated factors in children aged under 5 years...
- Molecular epidemiology of Giardia and Cryptosporidium infections in dairy calves originating from three sources in Western AustraliaK A Becher
World Health Organization Collaborating Centre, Molecular Epidemiology of Parasitic Infections and Western Australian Biomedical Research Institute, Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, Murdoch University, Murdoch, WA 6150, Australia
Vet Parasitol 123:1-9. 2004..was undertaken to determine the spread of naturally acquired Giardia and Cryptosporidium in dairy cattle in Western Australia. Samples were collected weekly from birth to weaning, and only calves that were sampled four or more times ..
- Management and outcomes of postoperative endophthalmitis since the endophthalmitis vitrectomy study: the Endophthalmitis Population Study of Western Australia (EPSWA)'s fifth reportJonathon Q Ng
School of Population Health, The University of Western Australia, Crawley, Australia
Ophthalmology 112:1199-206. 2005..To examine if changes in the diagnosis and management of postoperative endophthalmitis have occurred since 1995, and to identify factors that might predict final visual outcome...
- What is the impact of missing Indigenous status on mortality estimates? An assessment using record linkage in Western AustraliaGlenn K Draper
Epidemiology Branch, Department of Health, Western Australia
Aust N Z J Public Health 33:325-31. 2009..The analysis aimed to assess the Indigenous status of an increasing number of deaths not coded with a useable Indigenous status from 1997 to 2002 and its impact on reported recent gains in Indigenous mortality...
- Deaths from non-melanoma skin cancer in Western AustraliaJ Girschik
Western Australian Institute for Medical Research, B Block, Ground Floor, Hospital Ave, Nedlands, WA 6009, Australia
Cancer Causes Control 19:879-85. 2008..However, there are still nearly 400 deaths from NMSC in Australia annually. We aimed to investigate the accuracy of NMSC death coding and to describe the characteristics of these deaths and the potential for prevention...
- Molecular diversity of rumen methanogens from sheep in Western AustraliaAndre Denis G Wright
CSIRO Livestock Industries, Centre for Environment and Life Sciences, Wembley, Western Australia 6913, Australia
Appl Environ Microbiol 70:1263-70. 2004..These unique sequences appear to represent a novel group of rumen archaea that are atypical for the rumen environment...
- Research use of linked health data--a best practice protocolC W Kelman
Department of Health and Ageing, Canberra, ACT
Aust N Z J Public Health 26:251-5. 2002..This approach is designed to promote confidence in the community and among data custodians that there are benefits of linked health information being used and that individual privacy is being rigorously protected...
- Patterns, trends, and increasing disparities in mortality for Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal infants born in Western Australia, 1980-2001: population database studyC Jane Freemantle
Telethon Institute for Child Health Research, Centre for Child Health Research, University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Lancet 367:1758-66. 2006..We have examined mortality rates in these populations in Western Australia.
- Oral health care issues in aged care facilities in Western Australia: resident and family caregiver viewsGlenys Anna Paley
School of Population Health, The University of Western Australia, Crawley, WA, Australia
Gerodontology 26:97-104. 2009..To investigate resident and family perceptions and attitudes towards oral health care and access to dental services for aged care facility residents...
- Awareness and impact of the 'Bubblewrap' advertising campaign among Aboriginal smokers in Western AustraliaTerry Boyle
Kulunga Research Network, Telethon Institute for Child Health Research, Centre for Child Health Research, The University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Tob Control 19:83-6. 2010..Antismoking mass media campaigns have been shown to reduce smoking prevalence in the mainstream community, however there is little published research on their effect on Aboriginal Australian smokers...
- The influence of attractiveness factors and distance to general practice surgeries by level of social disadvantage and global access in Perth, Western AustraliaJilda C G Hyndman
Department of Public Health, The University of Western Australia, Nedlands, Western Australia 6907, Australia
Soc Sci Med 56:387-403. 2003..One thousand and forty four subjects, selected at random from the metropolitan area of Perth, Western Australia, responded to a household interview survey concerning which attributes of general practice (GP) surgeries ..
- The effect of passive smoking on the risk of otitis media in Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal children in the Kalgoorlie-Boulder region of Western AustraliaPeter A Jacoby
Telethon Institute for Child Health Research, Centre for Child Health Research, University of Western Australia, Perth, WA, Australia
Med J Aust 188:599-603. 2008..To determine the risk of otitis media (OM) associated with passive smoking in young children, and any competing effect between passive smoking and childcare attendance...
- Life expectancy among people with cerebral palsy in Western AustraliaE Blair
TVW Telethon Institute for Child Health Research, University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Dev Med Child Neurol 43:508-15. 2001..This may be the result of improved neonatal care enabling the survival of infants with increasingly severe disabilities...
- Outcome for patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma referred for Trimodality therapy in Western AustraliaArman Hasani
Department of Medical Oncology, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Western Australia, Australia
J Thorac Oncol 4:1010-6. 2009..Thus, TMT was introduced as an option for such patients in Western Australia in 2004...
- Outbreak of sporotrichosis, Western AustraliaKynan T Feeney
Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Nedlands, Western Australia, Australia
Emerg Infect Dis 13:1228-31. 2007A cluster of sporotrichosis cases occurred in the Busselton-Margaret River region of Western Australia from 2000 to 2003...
- Hymenopteran parasitoids of forensic importance: host associations, seasonality, and prevalence of parasitoids of carrion flies in Western AustraliaSasha C Voss
Centre for Forensic Science M420, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Hwy, Crawley, Western Australia 6009, Australia
J Med Entomol 46:1210-9. 2009..flies was conducted to establish the parasitoid species of potential forensic significance in Western Australia. Host associations, seasonality, and rates of parasitism in the field were examined to assess the value of ..
- Australian encephalitis in Western Australia, 1978-1991J S Mackenzie
Department of Microbiology, University of Western Australia, Queen Elizabeth II Medical Centre, Nedlands
Med J Aust 158:591-5. 1993To review the various clinical manifestations of Murray Valley encephalitis (MVE) or Kunjin virus encephalitis in patients in Western Australia.
- Setting priorities in the south west of Western Australia: where are we now?Craig Mitton
Centre for Healthcare Innovation and Improvement, BC Research Institute for Women s and Children s Health, Vancouver, Canada
Aust Health Rev 28:301-10. 2004..for developing a formal approach to priority setting in the South West Area Health Service (SWAHS) in Western Australia, we carried out a qualitative survey of senior decision makers...
- Aboriginal mothers, breastfeeding and smokingDawn Gilchrist
Goldfields South East Health Region, Western Australia
Aust N Z J Public Health 28:225-8. 2004..To document the smoking practices of Aboriginal mothers living in Perth during pregnancy and during the subsequent year while feeding their infants...
- The incidence and management of priapism in Western Australia: a 16 year auditC M Earle
Keogh Institute for Medical Research, QEII Medical Centre, Nedlands, Western Australia, Australia
Int J Impot Res 15:272-6. 2003The objective of the study was to conduct a retrospective audit of patients who presented with priapism in Western Australia during the years 1985-2000...
- Dietary patterns identified using factor analysis and prostate cancer risk: a case control study in Western AustraliaGina Leslie Ambrosini
School of Population Health, University of Western Australia, Australia
Ann Epidemiol 18:364-70. 2008..We investigated empirical dietary patterns and prostate cancer risk in Western Australia (WA) using a population-based case-control study.
- European origin of Bradyrhizobium populations infecting lupins and serradella in soils of Western Australia and South AfricaTomasz Stepkowski
Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry, Polish Academy of Sciences, 61 704 Poznan, Noskowskiego 12 14, Poland
Appl Environ Microbiol 71:7041-52. 2005..approach to elucidate the origin of serradella and lupin Bradyrhizobium strains that persist in soils of Western Australia and South Africa...
- Listeria awareness among new mothers in Western AustraliaS Torvaldsen
National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health, Australian National University, Australian Capital Territory
Aust N Z J Public Health 23:362-7. 1999To assess awareness, knowledge and behaviour relating to Listeria among recent mothers (12 weeks post-partum) in Western Australia and determine the usefulness of a Listeria information pamphlet.
- Antivenom dosing in 35 patients with severe brown snake (Pseudonaja) envenoming in Western Australia over 10 yearsJustin M Yeung
Department of Emergency Medicine, Royal Perth Hospital, University of Western Australia, Perth, WA
Med J Aust 181:703-5. 2004..To investigate the doses of antivenom administered to adult patients with severe brown snake envenoming...
- Long-term survival outcomes following breast cancer surgery in Western AustraliaKatrina Spilsbury
Western Australian Safety and Quality of Surgical Care Project, Centre for Health Services Research, School of Population Health, University of Western Australia, Crawley, Australia
ANZ J Surg 75:625-30. 2005..The aim of the present study was to investigate how hospital, social and demographic factors were associated with survival outcomes from surgically treated breast cancer for all women living in Western Australia.
- Understanding, beliefs and perspectives of Aboriginal people in Western Australia about cancer and its impact on access to cancer servicesShaouli Shahid
Centre for International Health, Curtin University of Technology, Perth WA 6845, Australia
BMC Health Serv Res 9:132. 2009..This research explored Western Australian (WA) Aboriginal peoples' perceptions, beliefs and understanding of cancer...
- Impact of dryland salinity on population dynamics of vector mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae) of Ross River virus in inland areas of southwestern Western AustraliaA Jardine
School of Population Health, The University of Western Australia, M431, 35 Stirling Hwy, Crawley, Perth, WA 6009, Australia
J Med Entomol 45:1011-22. 2008..camptorhynchus, and the scarce and uneven distribution of the human population in the region...
- Risk factors for isolated talipes equinovarus in Western Australia, 1980-1994M Carey
School of Public Health, Curtin University, Perth, Western Australia
Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 19:238-45. 2005....
- Colonization of ephemeral water bodies in the Wheatbelt of Western Australia by assemblages of mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae): role of environmental factors, habitat, and disturbanceScott Carver
School of Animal Biology M085, University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley 6009, Western Australia, Australia
Environ Entomol 38:1585-94. 2009..of ephemeral water bodies by mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae) in the Wheatbelt region of southwest Western Australia, an area substantially affected by an expanding anthropogenic salinization...
- Malignant pleural and peritoneal mesotheliomas in former miners and millers of crocidolite at Wittenoom, Western AustraliaG Berry
School of Public Health, University of Sydney, New South Wales 2006, Australia
Occup Environ Med 61:e14. 2004..To report the number of malignant pleural and peritoneal mesotheliomas that have occurred in former Wittenoom crocidolite workers to the end of 2000, and to compare this with earlier predictions...
- Increase in type 2 diabetes in children and adolescents in Western AustraliaSarah K McMahon
Department of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Princess Margaret Hospital for Children, Perth, WA, Australia
Med J Aust 180:459-61. 2004To document diagnosis rates of type 2 diabetes mellitus in children and adolescents in Western Australia over the past 12 years, the clinical characteristics of these patients and any comorbidities.
- Hospitalisations due to interpersonal violence: a population-based study in Western AustraliaLynn B Meuleners
Centre for Population Health Research, School of Public Health, Curtin University, Perth, WA, Australia
Med J Aust 188:572-5. 2008..To quantify the impact on the Western Australian health care system of hospitalisations due to interpersonal violence, and to identify risk factors for a repeat hospital admission for interpersonal violence...
- HIV/AIDS knowledge and attitudes among West African immigrant women in Western AustraliaPeter D Drummond
School of Psychology, Murdoch University, South Street, Murdoch, WA 6150, Australia
Sex Health 5:251-9. 2008..The aim of the present study was to investigate knowledge about HIV and attitudes towards condom use in West African refugees who had settled in Perth, Western Australia, within the past 5 years.
- The mortality of women exposed environmentally and domestically to blue asbestos at Wittenoom, Western AustraliaA Reid
Occupational Respiratory Epidemiology, School of Population Health, M431, University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, WA 6009, Australia
Occup Environ Med 65:743-9. 2008..Women are more likely to have obtained their asbestos exposure domestically or from their environment...
- A decade of data linkage in Western Australia: strategic design, applications and benefits of the WA data linkage systemC D Arcy J Holman
Centre for Health Services Research, School of Population Health, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Perth, WA 6009, Australia
Aust Health Rev 32:766-77. 2008..Staged development has seen its expansion, initially from a linkage key to local health data sets, to encompass links to national and local health and welfare data sets, genealogical links and spatial references for mapping applications...
- Treatment patterns for cancer in Western Australia: does being Indigenous make a difference?Sonja E Hall
School of Population Health, University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, WA 6009, Australia
Med J Aust 181:191-4. 2004..To examine whether hospital patients with cancer who were identified as Indigenous were as likely to receive surgery for the cancer as non-Indigenous patients...
- High prevalence Giardia duodenalis assemblage B and potentially zoonotic subtypes in sporadic human cases in Western AustraliaRongchang Yang
Division of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, Murdoch University, Murdoch, WA 6150, Australia
Int J Parasitol 40:293-7. 2010..Fecal samples from sporadic human clinical cases of giardiasis in Western Australia were analysed at two loci; 18S rRNA and glutamate dehydrogenase (gdh), and G...
- Invasive species can't cover their tracks: using microsatellites to assist management of starling (Sturnus vulgaris) populations in Western AustraliaLee Ann Rollins
Evolution and Ecology Research Centre, School of Biological Earth and Environmental Science, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW 2052, Australia
Mol Ecol 18:1560-73. 2009..One population consisted of all sampling sites from the expansion front in Western Australia, where control efforts are focused...
- Efficacy of albendazole against Giardia and hookworm in a remote Aboriginal community in the north of Western AustraliaJ A Reynoldson
Division of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, Murdoch University, Western Australia, Australia
Acta Trop 71:27-44. 1998....
- Fine-scale comparative phylogeography of a sympatric sister species triplet of subterranean diving beetles from a single calcrete aquifer in Western AustraliaM T Guzik
Australian Centre for Evolutionary Biology and Biodiversity, School of Earth and Environmental Sciences, The University of Adelaide, Adelaide, SA 5005, Australia
Mol Ecol 18:3683-98. 2009Calcrete aquifers in the arid Yilgarn region of central Western Australia are a biodiversity hotspot for stygofauna...
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus clones, Western AustraliaGeoffrey W Coombs
Royal Perth Hospital, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Emerg Infect Dis 12:241-7. 2006Community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) was first reported in Western Australia in the early 1990s from indigenous peoples living in remote areas...
- Outcomes of congenital diaphragmatic hernia: a population-based study in Western AustraliaJoanne Colvin
Department of Neonatal Pediatrics, Women s and Children s Health Service, Perth, Australia
Pediatrics 116:e356-63. 2005..We also sought to ascertain the prenatal and postnatal factors associated with morbidity and death among these infants...
- Interface between residential aged care facilities and a teaching hospital emergency department in Western AustraliaJudith C Finn
School of Population Health, University of Western Australia, Perth, WA, Australia
Med J Aust 184:432-5. 2006..To estimate the appropriateness of emergency department (ED) presentations by people aged>or=65 years living in residential care facilities...
- Mortality in a cohort of opiate and amphetamine users in Perth, Western AustraliaAnne Bartu
Drug and Alcohol Office, Mt Lawley, Western Australia, Australia
Addiction 99:53-60. 2004..This study compares the hazard of death among opiate and amphetamine using clients who accessed drug treatment with individuals who had no specialist treatment contact between 1985 and 1998...
- Two possible mechanisms for survival and initiation of Murray Valley encephalitis virus activity in the Kimberley region of Western AustraliaA K Broom
Department of Microbiology, University of Western Australia, Queen Elizabeth II Medical Centre, Nedlands
Am J Trop Med Hyg 53:95-9. 1995..tremulus. Both mechanisms are discussed with respect to environmental conditions...
- Rural-urban differences in the presentation, management and survival of breast cancer in Western AustraliaK J Mitchell
School of Population Health, M431, University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Hwy, Crawley, Western Australia 6009, Australia
Breast 15:769-76. 2006From all women diagnosed with invasive breast cancer in 1999 in Western Australia, rural and urban women were compared with regard to mode of detection, tumour characteristics at presentation, diagnostic investigations, treatment and ..
- Serum ferritin and cardiovascular disease: a 17-year follow-up study in Busselton, Western AustraliaM W Knuiman
School of Population Health, The University of Western Australia, Crawley, Western Australia, Australia
Am J Epidemiol 158:144-9. 2003..between serum ferritin level and coronary heart disease (CHD) and stroke events was evaluated in a long-term Western Australia prospective study in 1981-1998...
- Medical record linkage in Australia: this is as good as it getsGraham G Giles
Cancer Council Victoria, Melbourne, Australia
ANZ J Surg 75:259. 2005
- Primary malignant bone tumours in Western Australia, 1972-1996John B Blackwell
Bone Tumour Registry of Western Australia, and Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Western Australia, Western Australia, Australia
Pathology 37:278-83. 2005To study the incidence of primary malignant bone tumours in Western Australia (WA) from 1972 to 1996 using the database of the WA Bone Tumour Registry (BTR) and to compare these rates with those in the United States of America (USA)...
- Predicted mortality from malignant mesothelioma among women exposed to blue asbestos at Wittenoom, Western AustraliaA Reid
Occupational Respiratory Epidemiology, School of Population Health, University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, WA 6009, Australia
Occup Environ Med 66:169-74. 2009..women and girls were documented to have lived at the blue asbestos mining and milling town of Wittenoom in Western Australia between 1943 and 1992...
- Benefits of swimming pools in two remote Aboriginal communities in Western Australia: intervention studyDeborah Lehmann
Centre for Child Health Research, University of Western Australia, Telethon Institute for Child Health Research, PO Box 855, West Perth, WA 6872, Australia
BMJ 327:415-9. 2003..To determine the health impact of swimming pools built with the aim of improving quality of life and reducing high rates of pyoderma and otitis media...
- Cryptic speciation in two widespread subterranean amphipod genera reflects historical drainage patterns in an ancient landscapeT L Finston
School of Animal Biology M092, University of Western Australia, Crawley, Western Australia, Australia
Mol Ecol 16:355-65. 2007The landscape of the Pilbara region of Western Australia has been relatively unchanged for 100 million years. The ancient river systems of this region might be expected to be sources of isolation and divergence for aquatic species...
- Genomic characterization of a novel virus found in papillomatous lesions from a southern brown bandicoot (Isoodon obesulus) in Western AustraliaMark D Bennett
School of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, Murdoch University, Perth, Western Australia, 6150, Australia
Virology 376:173-82. 2008..The discovery of BPCV2 provides evidence of virus-host co-speciation between BPCVs and marsupial bandicoots and has important implications for the phylogeny and taxonomy of circular double-stranded DNA viruses infecting vertebrates...
- The incidence of venous thromboembolism: a prospective, community-based study in Perth, Western AustraliaWai Khoon Ho
Department of Haematology, Austin and Repatriation Medical Centre, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Med J Aust 189:144-7. 2008....
- Is sialic acid an independent risk factor for cardiovascular disease? A 17-year follow-up study in Busselton, Western AustraliaMatthew W Knuiman
School of Population Health, University of Western Australia, Crawley, Western Australia
Ann Epidemiol 14:627-32. 2004..To investigate the relationship between serum sialic acid level and risk of coronary heart disease (CHD) and stroke in men and women without diagnosed cardiovascular disease...
- Murray Valley encephalitis in Western Australia in 2000, with evidence of southerly spreadS P Cordova
Applied Epidemiology Program, National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health, Australian National University, Australian Capital Territory
Commun Dis Intell 24:368-72. 2000..and clinical features of human Murray Valley encephalitis (MVE) and Kunjin (KUN) virus infections in Western Australia (WA) during March to July 2000. A case series was performed...
- Fetal growth and the risk of childhood CNS tumors and lymphomas in Western AustraliaElizabeth Milne
Telethon Institute for Child Health Research, Centre for Child Health Research, The University of Western Australia, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Int J Cancer 123:436-43. 2008..A cohort of 576,633 infants born in Western Australia in 1980-2004 were followed from birth to diagnosis of a CNS tumor (n = 183) or lymphoma (n = 84) before age ..
- Fragility and crash over-representation among older drivers in Western AustraliaLynn B Meuleners
School of Public Health, Curtin University of Technology, GPO Box U 1987, Perth, WA 6845, Australia
Accid Anal Prev 38:1006-10. 2006..contribution of fragility and crash over-representation to serious injuries per crash-involved driver in Western Australia. Police-reported crashes for the period 1998-2003 were extracted from the Western Australian Road Injury ..
- Small-area estimates of general practice workforce shortage in rural and remote Western AustraliaJessica Scott
Combined Universities Centre for Rural Health, The University of Western Australia, Geraldton, Western Australia 6531, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 14:209-13. 2006..Design: A cross-sectional study using geographical information systems software to calculate GP to population rates with a floating catchment of 100 km radius around census collection districts (CCDs)...
- Surgical caseload and outcomes for women with invasive breast cancer treated in Western AustraliaD M Ingram
Breast Centre, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Western Australia, Australia
Breast 14:11-7. 2005We have assessed the outcomes for all women diagnosed with invasive breast cancer in Western Australia during 1989, 1994 and 1999, and compared the results for surgeons who treat 20 or more cases per year with those of surgeons who treat ..
- Occurrence of a new subclade of Leptosphaeria biglobosa in Western AustraliaL Vincenot
INRA, UMR 1290 BIOGER CPP, Route de Saint Cyr, 78026 Versailles Cedex, France
Phytopathology 98:321-9. 2008..In the course of a wide-scale characterization of the race structure of L. maculans from Western Australia, a few isolates from two locations failed to amplify specific sequences of L. maculans, i.e...
- Association of maternal pre-pregnancy weight with birth defects: evidence from a case-control study in Western AustraliaWendy H Oddy
Telethon Institute of Child Health Research, Centre for Child Health Research, The University of Western Australia, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 49:11-5. 2009..Maternal obesity confers increased risks of poor pregnancy outcomes. There are limited Australian data on the risk of birth defects associated with maternal pre-pregnancy obesity...
- Palliative care in Western Australia: an assessment of information and support needsR McConigley
School of Nursing and Public Health, Edith Cowan University, Churchlands, Western Australia
Int J Palliat Nurs 7:555-64. 2001Health professionals in rural Western Australia have embraced palliative care, however, to date no information has been available about the issues that face those providing the care...
- Community attitudes towards performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation in Western AustraliaG A Jelinek
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Western Australia, Hospital Avenue, Western Australia 6009, Nedlands, Australia
Resuscitation 51:239-46. 2001..to determine the attitudes of the Western Australian community towards performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation, and the factors affecting these attitudes...
- Effectiveness of in situ air sparging for removing NAPL gasoline from a sandy aquifer near Perth, Western AustraliaC D Johnston
CSIRO Land and Water Private Bag No 5, Wembley, W A, 6913, Australia
J Contam Hydrol 59:87-111. 2002..This result is apparently due to lateral inflow of NAPL to the site although evidence of a depleted source of volatilised hydrocarbons suggests the possible development of mass transfer limitations...
- A review of workload measures: a context for a new staffing methodology in Western AustraliaDi Twigg
Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Hospital Avenue, Nedlands, Perth, WA 6008, Australia University of Technology, Sydney, Australia
Int J Nurs Stud 46:131-9. 2009..Nurse hours per patient day (NHPPD), which classifies wards into various groupings, was applied to all public hospitals in Western Australia.
- Trichomonas gallinae in budgerigars and columbid birds in Perth, Western AustraliaT McKeon
School of Veterinary Studies, Murdoch University, Western Australia
Aust Vet J 75:652-5. 1997....
- Indoor environmental quality in a 'low allergen' school and three standard primary schools in Western AustraliaG Zhang
School of Public Health, Curtin University of Technology, GPO Box U 1987, Perth, WA, Australia
Indoor Air 16:74-80. 2006..in classrooms, assessments were undertaken in a 'low allergen' school and three standard primary schools in Western Australia. Dust allergens, air pollutants and physical parameters were monitored in the four schools at four times (..
- Notifications of imported malaria in Western Australia, 1990-2001: incidence, associated factors and chemoprophylaxisDonnetta M Charles
School of Medicine and Pharmacology, University of Western Australia, Fremantle, WA
Med J Aust 182:164-7. 2005To assess changes in and factors associated with recent malaria notifications in Western Australia (WA).
- High prevalence of coeliac disease in a population-based study from Western Australia: a case for screening?C J Hovell
Fremantle Hospital, WA
Med J Aust 175:247-50. 2001..To determine the prevalence of coeliac disease in an Australian rural community...
- Socioeconomic and rural differences for cataract surgery in Western AustraliaJonathon Q Ng
Centre for Health Services Research, School of Population Health, The University of Western Australia, Crawley, Australia
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 34:317-23. 2006..To examine the relationship between socioeconomic factors, residential locality and cataract surgery incidence...
- Factors associated with the initiation and duration of breastfeeding by Chinese mothers in Perth, Western AustraliaLin Li
School of Public Health, Curtin University of Technology, Perth, Western Australia
J Hum Lact 20:188-95. 2004..by Chinese Australian mothers, a cross-sectional survey of 506 Mandarin-speaking women in Perth, Western Australia, was conducted...
- The Quality of Surgical Care Project: a model to evaluate surgical outcomes in Western Australia using population-based record linkageJ B Semmens
Centre for Health Services Research, Department of Public Health, University of Western Australia, Nedlands, Australia
Aust N Z J Surg 68:397-403. 1998..surgical outcomes and, where indicated, recommend changes to improve the quality of surgical care in Western Australia (WA)...
- Modifying effects of HLA-DRB1 allele interactions on age at onset of multiple sclerosis in Western AustraliaJing Shan Wu
Centre of Neuromuscular and Neurological Disorders, University of Western Australia, Department of Neurology, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Queen Elizabeth Medical Centre, Perth, Western Australia
Mult Scler 16:15-20. 2010..These findings indicate that epistatic interactions at the HLA-DRB1 locus have significant modifying effects on age at onset of multiple sclerosis and demonstrate the value of high-resolution genotyping in detecting such associations...
- Occurrence of gastrointestinal parasites in horses in metropolitan Perth, Western AustraliaA C Boxell
Division of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, Murdoch University, Murdoch, Western Australia 6150
Aust Vet J 82:91-5. 2004..To assess the occurrence of gastrointestinal parasites in horses in Perth. To apply polymerase chain reaction (PCR) for the identification of some species of encysted larval cyathostomes...
- Barriers to participation of Aboriginal people in cancer care: communication in the hospital settingShaouli Shahid
Centre for International Health, Curtin University of Technology, Perth, WA, Australia
Med J Aust 190:574-9. 2009..To report Aboriginal patients' views about effective communication between Aboriginal people and health service providers in Western Australian hospital settings...
- Attitudes toward information and communication technology (ICT) in residential aged care in Western AustraliaPoh Kooi Loh
WA Center for Health and Ageing, Department of Geriatric Medicine, Royal Perth Hospital, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
J Am Med Dir Assoc 10:408-13. 2009..Determine why introduction of health consulting services via Telehealth video conference consultations failed in residential aged care facilities (RACF)...
- Incidence of bariatric surgery and postoperative outcomes: a population-based analysis in Western AustraliaFiona J Smith
School of Population Health, University of Western Australia, Perth, WA
Med J Aust 189:198-202. 2008To investigate the incidence of bariatric surgery and postoperative outcomes in a population-based cohort of patients in Western Australia over a 17-year period.
- Absent otoacoustic emissions predict otitis media in young Aboriginal children: a birth cohort study in Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal children in an arid zone of Western AustraliaDeborah Lehmann
Telethon Institute for Child Health Research, Centre for Child Health Research, University of Western Australia, Australia
BMC Pediatr 8:32. 2008..Absent transient evoked otoacoustic emissions (TEOAEs) may predict subsequent risk of OM...
- Lip cancer in Western Australia, 1982-2006: a 25-year retrospective epidemiological studyL Abreu
The Centre for Rural and Remote Oral Health, The University of Western Australia
Aust Dent J 54:130-5. 2009The aim of this study was to report on the epidemiological trends in incidence and mortality rates of lip cancer in Western Australia from 1982-2006.
- Control of genital chlamydial infection in the Kimberley region of Western AustraliaDonna B Mak
Med J Aust 180:45. 2004
- Factors associated with short-term hospital readmission rates for breast cancer patients in Western Australia: an observational studyJeffrey K Lai
School of Finance and Applied Statistics, Australian National University, Canberra, Australia
J Am Coll Surg 204:193-200. 2007....
- Who receives specialist palliative care in Western Australia--and who misses outL K Rosenwax
School of Occupational Therapy, Curtin University of Technology, GPO Box U1987, Perth, WA 6845, Australia
Palliat Med 20:439-45. 2006..To describe the characteristics of Western Australian (WA) people who received, and did not receive, specialist palliative care (SPC) during their last 12 months of life...
- Assessing the outcome of compulsory psychiatric treatment in the community: epidemiological study in Western AustraliaNeil J Preston
Mental Health Directorate, Fremantle Hospital and Health Service, PO Box 480 Fremantle, WA 6160, Australia
BMJ 324:1244. 2002..To examine whether community treatment orders for psychiatric patients reduce subsequent use of health services in comparison with control patients not placed on an order...
- Prevalence of developmental enamel defects of the first permanent molars among school children in Western AustraliaP Arrow
Department of Health, Western Australia, The University of Western Australia
Aust Dent J 53:250-9. 2008..The aim of this study was to describe the prevalence of enamel defects in the first permanent molars among school children in Western Australia.
- Factors influencing survival after stroke in Western AustraliaAndy H Lee
School of Public Health, Curtin University of Technology, Perth, WA
Med J Aust 179:289-93. 2003..To determine the factors influencing survival among patients admitted to Western Australian hospitals for the first time with stroke or transient ischaemic attack (TIA)...
- Falling incidence of amputations for peripheral occlusive arterial disease in Western Australia between 1980 and 1992E Mattes
Department of Surgery, University of Western Australia, Australia
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 13:14-22. 1997..To assess temporal trends in the incidence of surgical procedures for peripheral occlusive arterial disease (POAD) and associated changes in outcome as measured by the rate of major lower limb amputations for POAD...
- Barriers and incentives to HIV treatment uptake among Aboriginal people in Western AustraliaChristy E Newman
National Centre in HIV Social Research, The University of New South Wales, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
AIDS 21:S13-7. 2007To examine the barriers and incentives to HIV treatment uptake among Aboriginal people in Western Australia.
- Awareness and consumption of folate-fortified foods by women of childbearing age in Western AustraliaW H Oddy
Telethon Institute for Child Health Research, Centre for Child Health Research, The University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Public Health Nutr 10:989-95. 2007..Our objectives were to determine how many women were aware of folate and when they became aware, what was the awareness of labels on foods that mentioned folate, and how much folate-fortified food women ate...
- Factors affecting place of death in Western AustraliaBeverley McNamara
School of Social and Cultural Studies, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, Perth 6009, Australia
Health Place 13:356-67. 2007..this gap our study employs a longitudinal, population-based retrospective cohort study of people who died in Western Australia over a 30-month period...
- 'O father: where art thou?'--Paternity assessment in an open fission-fusion society of wild bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops sp.) in Shark Bay, Western AustraliaMichael Krützen
School of Biological, Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of New South Wales, Sydney NSW 2052, Australia
Mol Ecol 13:1975-90. 2004..01). Our study suggests that the reproductive success of both allied males, and of nonallied juveniles, needs to be incorporated into an adaptive framework that seeks to explain alliance formation in male bottlenose dolphins...
- Do marginal changes in PHI membership accurately predict marginal changes in PHI use in Western Australia?Rachael Elizabeth Moorin
Australian Centre for Economic Research on Health ACERH, School of Population Health, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, WA 6009, Australia
Health Policy 76:288-98. 2006Annual trends in the rate of utilisation of PHI in three different clinical categories were compared with published trends in PHI membership to assess the degree to which PHI membership predicts PHI use in Western Australia.
- Increased patient co-payments and changes in PBS-subsidised prescription medicines dispensed in Western AustraliaAnna Hynd
School of Population Health, The University of Western Australia, New South Wales, Australia
Aust N Z J Public Health 33:246-52. 2009..increase in patient co-payments in January 2005 and two related co-payment changes for medicines subsidised under the Australian Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) were associated with changes in dispensings in Western Australia (WA).
- Premorbid personality traits are associated with post-stroke behavioral and psychological symptoms: a three-month follow-up study in Perth, Western AustraliaKathryn R Greenop
WA Centre for Health and Ageing, University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Int Psychogeriatr 21:1063-71. 2009..This study sought to investigate further the relationship between premorbid personality and a number of common post-stroke behavioral and psychological symptoms in a three-month follow-up study...
- Supportive and palliative care needs of families of children with life-threatening illnesses in Western Australia: evidence to guide the development of a palliative care serviceLeanne Monterosso
Division of Health Sciences, Curtin University, Perth, Western Australia
Palliat Med 21:689-96. 2007..To obtain feedback from families of children receiving palliative and supportive care about their care needs in hospital and in community settings...
- DNA Variants and AAA DiseasePhilip S Tsao; Fiscal Year: 2013..well as in a complementary cohort of equally well-phenotyped AAA patients and controls- participants of the Western Australia Screening Study (WASS)...
- 4th Western Pacific Helicobacter CongressBarry Marshall; Fiscal Year: 2002..LOCATION: The Congress will be held at the Sheraton Perth Hotel, Perth, Western Australia. TYPES OF PARTICIPANTS: Gastroenterologist-physician and surgeon, Research Scientist, Postdoctoral ..
- CCSG RESEARCH BASE FOR CCOPLeslie Robison; Fiscal Year: 2001..The catchment area includes thirty-six states, the District of Columbia, four Canadian provinces, and Perth, Western Australia. Through this broad geographic distribution, CCG has the opportunity to influence the diagnostic, treatment ..
- CHILDRENS CANCER GROUP--COMPETITIVE GRANT RENEWALDavid Baker; Fiscal Year: 2002..for Children (PMH) is the sole tertiary university affiliated paediatric teaching hospital for the State of Western Australia and provides the only multidisciplinary paediatric oncology service in the state, which has a population of ..
- International Society Environmental Epidemiology 2003Irva Hertz Picciotto; Fiscal Year: 2003..of the International Society for Environmental Epidemiology (ISEE) will be held at the Hyatt Hotel in Perth, Western Australia, on the 24-26 September 2003...
- Tobacco Control in S.Africa: Prevention and Capacity Bu*Ken Resnicow; Fiscal Year: 2006..other on a Harm Minimization model (KEEP LEFT), developed by the principal investigator with colleagues from Western Australia. Approximately 36 Schools will be randomly assigned to one of three experimental groups...
- FAILURE TIME METHODS FOR FAMILY DISEASE STUDIESDavid Glidden; Fiscal Year: 2003..Method (3) will be applied to a family study of coronary heart disease in Western Australia. Well-documented, user-friendly programs will be developed and made publicly available.
- Rett syndrome: determinants of outcome and burdenHelen Leonard; Fiscal Year: 2007..Feedback to families on study progress will be given through the study Web site. ..
- Comorbid childhood anxiety and asthmaRenee Goodwin; Fiscal Year: 2006..That study will involve a longitudinal epidemiologic preventive intervention study aimed at reducing the risk of anxiety disorders among pediatric asthma/allergy patients. ..
- The Pore-forming Toxin of Legionella PneumophilaYousef Abu Kwaik; Fiscal Year: 2003..Our studies on L. pneumophila may provide a paradigm for other vacuolar intracellular pathogens such as Mycobacterium, Salmonella, and Chlamydia. ..
- Receptor-Mediated Endocytosis of Legionella PneumophilaYousef Abu Kwaik; Fiscal Year: 2004..Our studies may uncover potential pathogenic evolution of Lpn to invade the more evolved mammalian cells, and may contribute to the understanding of invasion of protozoa by Mycobacterium and Chlamydia. ..
- A California Population-Based Twin Study of AutismJoachim Hallmayer; Fiscal Year: 2008..3) is there a continuum between the quantitative neurocognitive traits and clinical disorder? (4) what proportion of the variance in the neurocognitive traits is accounted for by genetic and non-genetic factors? ..
- Role of depression and anxiety in the tobacco epidemicRenee Goodwin; Fiscal Year: 2008..Use of the NESARC offers a unique opportunity to analyze a large, longitudinal, epidemiologic dataset. ..
- Osteoprotegerin and osteopontin in aortic aneurysmJonathan Golledge; Fiscal Year: 2009..Understanding the role of these calcium-controlling proteins in artery weakness and how drug therapy can interfere in these effects is an important step in the development of new treatment for aortic aneurysm. ..
- Molecular pathogenesis of Francisella tularnesisYOUSEF A ABU KWAIK; Fiscal Year: 2010..The bacterial effectors involved in exploiting the macrophage are potential targets for treatment as well as potential vaccine candidates. ..
- INFRASTRUCTURE TO FACILITATE DISCOVERY OF AUTISM GENESJoachim Hallmayer; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..