Genomes and Genes
Summary: A state in southeastern Australia, the southernmost state. Its capital is Melbourne. It was discovered in 1770 by Captain Cook and first settled by immigrants from Tasmania. In 1851 it was separated from New South Wales as a separate colony. Self-government was introduced in 1851; it became a state in 1901. It was named for Queen Victoria in 1851. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p1295 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, p574)
Publications309 found, 100 shown here
- Measuring the impact of intimate partner violence on the health of women in Victoria, AustraliaT Vos
School of Population Health, University of Queensland, Herston Road, Herston, QLD 4006, Brisbane, Australia
Bull World Health Organ 84:739-44. 2006Using burden of disease methodology, estimate the health risks of intimate partner violence (IPV) among women in Victoria, Australia.
- Women's views and experiences of postnatal hospital care in the Victorian Survey of Recent Mothers 2000Stephanie J Brown
Mother and Child Health Research, La Trobe University, 251 Faraday Street, Carlton, Victoria, Australia, 3053
Midwifery 21:109-26. 2005To investigate the views and experiences of postnatal hospital care of a representative sample of Victorian women who gave birth in Victoria, Australia, in 1999.
- The Assessment of Quality of Life (AQoL) instrument: a psychometric measure of health-related quality of lifeG Hawthorne
Department of Public Health and Community Medicine, University of Melbourne, Australia
Qual Life Res 8:209-24. 1999..Scaling it for economic evaluation using utilities is being undertaken. Respondents have indicated the AQoL is easy to understand and is quickly completed. Its initial properties suggest it may be widely applicable...
- A randomized, blinded, controlled trial investigating the gastrointestinal health effects of drinking water qualityM E Hellard
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Environ Health Perspect 109:773-8. 2001..We found no evidence of waterborne disease in Melbourne. The application of this methodology to other water supplies will provide a better understanding of the relationship between human health and water quality...
- Laboratory diagnosis and surveillance of human respiratory viruses by PCR in Victoria, Australia, 2002-2003Julian Druce
Virology Department, Victorian Infectious Diseases Reference Laboratory, 10 Wreckyn Street, North Melbourne 3051, Victoria, Australia
J Med Virol 75:122-9. 2005..identified by the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) in more than 4,200 specimens collected during 2002 and 2003 in Victoria, Australia from patients admitted to hospitals or participating in an influenza surveillance program...
- Epidemiology of primary biliary cirrhosis in Victoria, Australia: high prevalence in migrant populationsSiddharth Sood
Department of Gastroenterology, Austin Hospital, Victoria, Australia
Gastroenterology 127:470-5. 2004..The aim of this study was to examine this issue further by determining the overall prevalence of PBC in one state in Australia and to examine the prevalence among different migrant groups within this population...
- 2009 H1N1 influenza A and pregnancy outcomes in Victoria, AustraliaSaliya Hewagama
Monash Medical Centre, Melbourne, Australia
Clin Infect Dis 50:686-90. 2010..Pregnant women have been identified as a group at risk of increased morbidity and mortality associated with the pandemic H1N1 influenza A 2009 (H1N1/09) outbreak...
- Head lice prevalence in primary schools in Victoria, AustraliaM Counahan
Communicable Diseases Section, Department of Human Services, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Paediatr Child Health 40:616-9. 2004To determine the prevalence of and assess risk factors associated with head lice infections (pediculosis) in children from government primary schools in Victoria, Australia.
- Outcomes at age 2 years of infants < 28 weeks' gestational age born in Victoria in 2005Lex W Doyle
Newborn Services, Royal Women s Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
J Pediatr 156:49-53.e1. 2010To determine the survival rates and neurosensory outcomes of infants born at gestational age 22-27 weeks in the state of Victoria in 2005 and compare theses data with those for similar infants born in the 1990s.
- Sustained increase in infectious syphilis notifications in VictoriaRebecca J Guy
Med J Aust 183:218. 2005
- A decline in varicella but an uncertain impact on zoster following varicella vaccination in Victoria, AustraliaKylie S Carville
Epidemiology Unit, Victorian Infectious Diseases Reference Laboratory, Australia
Vaccine 28:2532-8. 2010..We examined trends in varicella and zoster hospitalisations and community consultations in Victoria during periods of no vaccine, private availability of vaccine and funded vaccination...
- Paediatric slow-speed non-traffic fatalities: Victoria, Australia, 1985-1995P Robinson
Public Health Branch, Department of Human Services, Victoria, Australia
Accid Anal Prev 29:731-7. 1997..In Victoria, Australia, the database of the state Consultative Council on Obstetric and Paediatric Morbidity and Mortality ..
- Respiratory function at age 8-9 years in extremely low birthweight/very preterm children born in Victoria in 1991-1992Lex W Doyle
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Pediatr Pulmonol 41:570-6. 2006..consecutive survivors with either birth weight < 1,000 g or gestational age < 28 weeks born in the state of Victoria during 1991-1992. Controls comprised 262 randomly selected NBW survivors...
- Prevalence and risk factors for obstetric haemorrhage in 6730 singleton births after assisted reproductive technology in Victoria AustraliaD L Healy
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Monash University, Level 5, Monash Medical Centre, 246 Clayton Road, Clayton, VIC 3168 Australia
Hum Reprod 25:265-74. 2010..Obstetric haemorrhages have been reported to be increased after assisted reproduction technologies (ART) but the mechanisms involved are unclear...
- Outcome of a screening program for vancomycin-resistant enterococci in a hospital in VictoriaM L Grayson
Infectious Disease and Clinical Epidemiology Department, Monash Medical Center, Melbourne, Vic
Med J Aust 171:133-6. 1999..To screen for faecal colonisation with vancomycin-resistant enterococci (VRE) among potentially at-risk patients...
- Laterality, maldescent, trauma and other clinical factors in the epidemiology of testis cancer in Victoria, AustraliaJ M Stone
Peter MacCallum Cancer Institute, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Br J Cancer 64:132-8. 1991Clinical factors were studied in a population based survey of 1,116 cases of testicular neoplasms in Victoria, Australia, between 1950 and 1978...
- The predictors and consequences of adolescent amphetamine use: findings from the Victoria Adolescent Health Cohort StudyLouisa Degenhardt
National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, University of New South Wales, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Addiction 102:1076-84. 2007..However, little is known about the predictors and effects of early-onset amphetamine use. We set out to examine these issues using a representative cohort of young people followed-up over 11 years in Victoria, Australia.
- The effect of smoke-free policies on electronic gaming machine expenditure in Victoria, AustraliaA Lal
VicHealth Centre for Tobacco Control, The Cancer Council Victoria, Carlton, Victoria, Australia
J Epidemiol Community Health 62:11-5. 2008..To examine the impact of smoke-free policies in Victorian gambling venues on electronic gaming machine (EGM) expenditure...
- High proportion of influenza B characterises the 2008 influenza season in VictoriaKristina A Grant
Victorian Infectious Diseases Reference Laboratory, Melbourne, Victoria
Commun Dis Intell Q Rep 33:328-36. 2009The 2008 influenza season in Victoria was distinctive because of the increased proportion of influenza-like illness (ILI) cases due to influenza B infection and the lateness of the season compared with preceding years...
- Variations in hospitalizations for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in rural and urban Victoria, AustraliaZahid Ansari
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
Respirology 12:874-80. 2007..Effective and timely management of COPD should reduce the risk of hospitalization. The purpose of this study was to describe variations in COPD hospital admission rates as an indicator of the adequacy of primary care services...
- Parental knowledge, beliefs and behaviours for oral health of toddlers residing in rural VictoriaM G Gussy
School of Dental Science, Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences, The University of Melbourne, Carlton, Victoria
Aust Dent J 53:52-60. 2008..The aim of this study was to examine the oral health-related knowledge, attitudes and reported behaviours of parents of children aged 12-24 months living in rural areas of Victoria, Australia.
- Having a baby in Victoria 1989-2000: continuity and change in the decade following the Victorian Ministerial Review of Birthing ServicesStephanie Brown
Centre for the Study of Mothers and Children s Health, School of Public Health, La Trobe University, Carlton, Victoria
Aust N Z J Public Health 26:242-50. 2002To investigate changing patterns in the provision of maternity care in Victoria based on data collected in three statewide surveys conducted in 1989, 1994 and 2000.
- Epidemiology of sepsis in Victoria, AustraliaVijaya Sundararajan
Victorian Department of Human Services, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Crit Care Med 33:71-80. 2005To determine the clinical and epidemiologic characteristics of patients with sepsis admitted to hospitals in Victoria, Australia, including the incidence of sepsis and severe sepsis, utilization of intensive care unit (ICU) resources, and ..
- Molecular and epidemiological features of GIIb norovirus outbreaks in Victoria, Australia, 2002-2005L D Bruggink
Victorian Infectious Diseases Reference Laboratory, North Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Med Virol 81:1652-60. 2009..poorly understood and this study examined these questions using norovirus-associated gastroenteritis outbreaks in Victoria, Australia, during 2002-2005...
- Babesia gibsoni infection in three dogs in VictoriaC J Muhlnickel
IDEXX Laboratories Melbourne, Unit 124 45 Gilby Rd, Mt Waverley Vic 3149
Aust Vet J 80:606-10. 2002..The morphological appearance of the erythrocyte inclusions, analysis of a 450-bp region of the 18S rRNA gene and antibody titres provided evidence that this parasite was Babesia gibsoni, a species not previously reported in Australia...
- Recent trends in risky alcohol consumption and related harm among young people in Victoria, AustraliaMichael Livingston
AER Centre for Alcohol Policy Research, Turning Point Alcohol and Drug Centre, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Aust N Z J Public Health 32:266-71. 2008To examine recent trends in the proportion of young people who drink at risky levels and the rate of alcohol-related harms experienced by young people in Victoria, Australia.
- Effects of a media campaign on back beliefs is sustained 3 years after its cessationRachelle Buchbinder
Department of Clinical Epidemiology, Cabrini Hospital and Monash University, Australia
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 30:1323-30. 2005..Quasi-experimental, nonrandomized, nonequivalent, parallel group-controlled study involving before and after telephone surveys of the general population...
- Obesity and undernutrition in sub-Saharan African immigrant and refugee children in Victoria, AustraliaAndre M N Renzaho
School of Health and Social Development, Deakin University, 221 Burwood Highway, Victoria, Australia
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 15:482-90. 2006..In conclusion, obesity and overweight are very prevalent in SSA migrant children and undernutrition, especially wasting, was also not uncommon in this target group...
- Having a baby in Victoria 1989-2000: women's views of public and private models of careFiona Bruinsma
Centre for the Study of Mothers and Children s Health, School of Public Health, La Trobe University, 251 Faraday Street, Carlton, Victoria 3053
Aust N Z J Public Health 27:20-6. 2003..To assess and contrast women's views of antenatal, intrapartum and postnatal care based on data collected in three state-wide surveys of recent mothers conducted in 1989, 1994 and 2000...
- Individual and community correlates of young people's high-risk drinking in Victoria, AustraliaMichael Livingston
Turning Point Alcohol and Drug Centre, Fitzroy, Victoria, Australia
Drug Alcohol Depend 98:241-8. 2008..individual- and community-level correlates of regular very high-risk drinking (more than 20 drinks at least 12 times a year for males and more than 11 drinks at least 12 times a year for females) among young (16-24) drinkers in Victoria.
- Cigarette smoking and interest in quitting among consumers at a Psychiatric Disability Rehabilitation and Support Service in VictoriaKristen Moeller-Saxone
Department of Public Health, The University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Aust N Z J Public Health 32:479-81. 2008..To gather information on smoking rates and interest in smoking cessation among consumers at a Psychiatric Disability Rehabilitation and Support Service (PDRSS)...
- The impact of smoke on respiratory hospital outcomes during the 2002-2003 bushfire season, Victoria, AustraliaRachel Tham
School of Rural Health, MonashUniversity, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Respirology 14:69-75. 2009..During January to March 2003, the north-east and Alpine regions of the state of Victoria experienced major bushfires that created a blanket of smoke over the entire state for extended periods of time...
- Risk-factors for meningococcal disease in Victoria, Australia, in 1997P Robinson
Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics Unit, Murdoch Children's Research Institute/Department of Paediatrics, University of Melbourne, Royal Children's Hospital, Victoria
Epidemiol Infect 127:261-8. 2001In Victoria between 1990 and 1996, meningococcal infections occurred in 1-2/100,000 people each year, with sometimes devastating outcome...
- The burden of mental disorders in Victoria, 1996T Vos
Public Health Division, Department of Human Services, 18 120 Spencer Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 36:53-62. 2001Between 1998 and 1999, a burden of disease assessment was carried out in Victoria, Australia applying and improving on the methods of the Global Burden of Disease Study...
- Prevalence of health promotion policies in sports clubs in Victoria, AustraliaSuzanne Jane Dobbinson
Centre for Behavioural Research in Cancer, The Cancer Council Victoria, Melbourne, Australia
Health Promot Int 21:121-9. 2006..Communication between associations and clubs needs to be monitored by health agencies to ensure support and resources for policy development to reach the club level...
- The profile of health problems in African immigrants attending an infectious disease unit in Melbourne, AustraliaKatherine B Gibney
Victorian Infectious Diseases Service, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Victoria, Australia
Am J Trop Med Hyg 80:805-11. 2009..Clinicians need to be aware of these conditions to meet the health needs of this group. Comprehensive health checks should be encouraged for new arrivals, particularly from high-risk areas...
- Molecular and epidemiological features of norovirus-associated gastroenteritis outbreaks in Victoria, Australia in 2001John A Marshall
Victorian Infectious Diseases Reference Laboratory, North Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Med Virol 75:321-31. 2005Norovirus was identified in 30 of 59 gastroenteritis outbreaks occurring in the state of Victoria, Australia in 2001 by RT-PCR and/or electron microscopy (EM)...
- The consequences of land use change on nutrient exports: a regional scale assessment in south-west Victoria, AustraliaDaniel Ierodiaconou
School of Ecology and Environment, Deakin University, P O Box 423, Warrnambool, Vic 3280 Australia
J Environ Manage 74:305-16. 2005..production based on multi-temporal remotely sensed land use data for the Glenelg-Hopkins region in south-west Victoria, Australia, is discussed...
- Management of glioma in Victoria (1998-2000): retrospective cohort studyMark A Rosenthal
Royal Melbourne Hospital, Parkville, Vic
Med J Aust 184:270-3. 2006..To describe the management of and outcomes in a population-based cohort of patients with newly diagnosed glioma...
- Distribution of metals and arsenic in soils of central victoria (creswick-ballarat), australiaK Sultan
School of Science and Engineering, University of Ballarat, Mount Helen, Ballarat, Victoria 3353, Australia
Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 52:339-46. 2007..campaign was conducted to identify and map heavy-metal contamination in the Ballarat-Creswick area of Central Victoria, Australia, with respect to mining activities and natural background levels in soils...
- Planned homebirths in Victoria, 1995-1998Jenny Parratt
Aust J Midwifery 15:16-25. 2002..paper reports and comments on quantitative aspects of 440 planned homebirths attended by registered midwives in Victoria during the three years studied, 1995-1998. The spontaneous labour rate was 96.4%, and 91...
- Evaluating the utility of surveillance data to decision makers in Victoria, AustraliaJeanette Pope
Strategic Policy and Research, Department for Victorian Communities, GPO Box 2392V, Melbourne, VIC 3001, Australia
Sex Health 2:97-102. 2005Evaluating the utility of surveillance data to decision makers in Victoria, Australia.
- Retention of allied health professionals in the south-west of VictoriaKaren Stagnitti
Department of Rural Health, Greater Green Triangle University, PO Box 423, Warrnambool, Victoria 3280, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 13:364-5. 2005
- Congestive cardiac failure: urban and rural perspectives in VictoriaMohammad Z Ansari
Health Surveillance and Evaluation Section, Department of Human Services, Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 11:266-70. 2003..The purpose of this study is to describe variations in rates of hospital admissions for CCF in Victoria as an indicator of the adequacy of primary care services...
- Knowledge of heart attack symptoms in a community survey of VictoriaKaren L Smith
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Monash Medical School, Monash University, Alfred Hospital, Commercial Road, Prahran, VIC 3181, Australia
Emerg Med (Fremantle) 14:255-60. 2002..To ascertain the level of knowledge of heart attack symptoms in the Victorian public...
- Improved neurosensory outcome at 8 years of age of extremely low birthweight children born in Victoria over three distinct erasL W Doyle
The Royal Women s Hospital, 132 Grattan St, Carlton, Victoria, 3053, Australia
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 90:F484-8. 2005..To determine neurosensory outcome at 8 years of age of extremely low birthweight (ELBW) children born in the 1990s, how it varies with birth weight, and how it compares with ELBW children born in the 1980s and 1970s...
- An audit of physical restraint and seclusion in five psychogeriatric admission wards in Victoria, AustraliaDaniel O'Connor
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 19:797-9. 2004
- Gestational diabetes in Victoria in 1996: incidence, risk factors and outcomesChristine A Stone
Prevention and National Health Priorities, Public Health Division, Department of Human Services, 17th Floor, 120 Spencer Street, Melbourne, VIC 3001, Australia
Med J Aust 177:486-91. 2002To describe the epidemiology of gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) in Victoria.
- The Victorian Ambulatory Care Sensitive Conditions study: reducing demand on hospital services in VictoriaZahid Ansari
Monash University, Melbourne
Aust Health Rev 25:71-7. 2002..a new set of indicators describing differentials and inequalities in access to the primary healthcare system in Victoria. The study used the Victorian Admitted Episodes Dataset (1999-2000) for analysing hospital admissions for ..
- Delayed diagnosis of HIV infection in Victoria 1994 to 2006Chris Lemoh
Department of Medicine, The University of Melbourne, Parkville, Australia
Sex Health 6:117-22. 2009The identification of factors associated with delayed diagnosis of HIV infection in Victoria, Australia was the aim of the present study.
- Differing trends in sexual risk behaviours in three Australian states: New South Wales, Victoria and Queensland, 1998-2006Iryna B Zablotska
National Centre in HIV Social Research, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW 2052, Australia
Sex Health 5:125-30. 2008..In recent years, the number of new diagnoses stabilised in New South Wales (NSW), but increased in other states. We reviewed the trends in sexual behaviours to explain this difference...
- Risk factors for Thoroughbred racehorse fatality in flat starts in Victoria, Australia (1989-2004)L A Boden
Department of Veterinary Science, The University of Melbourne, 250 Princes Highway, Werribee, Victoria 3030, Australia
Equine Vet J 39:430-7. 2007..Research into risk factors specific for fatality in flat racing should be focused at a regional level as the risk factors may differ among countries and even regions within countries...
- Development of a healthy food basket for VictoriaClaire Palermo
Nutrition and Dietetics Department, Faculty of Medicine Nursing and Health Sciences, Monash University, Victoria
Aust N Z J Public Health 31:360-3. 2007..The release of the revised Nutrient Reference Values, together with local interest in food security, highlighted the need to develop a Victorian Healthy Food Basket to reflect the food access issues of the Victorian population...
- Chondrodysplastic calves in Northeast VictoriaP J McLaren
Gribbles Veterinary Pathology, Clayton, Victoria 3168, Australia
Vet Pathol 44:342-54. 2007..sporadically every 10-15 years, particularly following prolonged drought conditions, throughout Northeastern Victoria and the Southern Tablelands of New South Wales, Australia...
- Avoidable mortality in Victoria between 1979 and 2001Leonard S Piers
Chronic Disease Surveillance and Epidemiology Section, Public Health Branch, Department of Human Services, Melbourne, Victoria
Aust N Z J Public Health 31:5-12. 2007To describe trends in avoidable mortality (AM) in Victoria by sex, degree of socio-economic disadvantage and remoteness.
- Patterns of dental therapists' scope of practice and employment in Victoria, AustraliaJulie Satur
Melbourne Dental School, University of Melbourne, 720 Swanson Street, Melbourne, Victoria, 3010, Australia
J Dent Educ 73:416-25. 2009..The findings from this study indicate that when legislative restrictions on employment settings are removed, there is a demand and demonstrable role for dental therapist-delivered services in nongovernment dental practices...
- Job strain exposures vs. stress-related workers' compensation claims in Victoria, Australia: developing a public health response to job stressTessa Keegel
School of Population Health, McCaughey Centre VicHealth Centre for the Promotion of Mental Health and Community Wellbeing, University of Melbourne, Parkville, VIC 3010, Australia
J Public Health Policy 30:17-39. 2009..Thus to provide a sufficient evidence base for equitable policy and practice responses to this growing public health problem, exposure or health outcome data are needed as an essential complement to claims statistics...
- 5-20: a model of minimum nurse-to-patient ratios in Victoria, AustraliaM F Gerdtz
The School of Nursing, The University of Melbourne, 723 Swanston Street, Carlton, Victoria 3053, Australia
J Nurs Manag 15:64-71. 2007..This study presents a critique of a new model of minimum nurse-to-patient ratio and considers its utility alongside established Patient Dependency Systems...
- Urban-rural differences in the management of screen-detected invasive breast cancer and ductal carcinoma in situ in victoriaDavid L Kok
School of Medicine, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
ANZ J Surg 76:996-1001. 2006..was to determine whether there were any differences in the surgical treatment of women diagnosed with breast cancer by BreastScreen Victoria between urban and rural populations and to investigate temporal changes in their pattern of care.
- Incidence of bloodborne virus infection and risk behaviours in a cohort of injecting drug users in Victoria, 1990-1995N Crofts
Epidemiology and Social Research Unit, Macfarlane Burnet Centre for Medical Research, Melbourne, Vic
Med J Aust 167:17-20. 1997..To assess changes in risk behaviours for transmission of bloodborne viruses and incidences and prevalences of these viruses in a field-recruited cohort of injecting drug users...
- Pregnant women's experiences of models of care in some hospitals in VictoriaZevia Schneider
Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, Australia
Aust J Adv Nurs 19:32-8. 2002..The future of implementing midwifery models of care into the hospital system will depend on effective change management and an acknowledgment of consumer needs by administrators...
- Outcomes of occasional cannabis use in adolescence: 10-year follow-up study in Victoria, AustraliaLouisa Degenhardt
National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, University of New South Wales, 2052, NSW, Australia
Br J Psychiatry 196:290-5. 2010..Regular adolescent cannabis use predicts a range of later drug use and psychosocial problems. Little is known about whether occasional cannabis use carries similar risks...
- Changing availability of neonatal intensive care for extremely low birthweight infants in Victoria over two decadesLex W Doyle
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Royal Women s Hospital, 132 Grattan Street, Carlton, Victoria 3053, Australia
Med J Aust 181:136-9. 2004..To determine the changes in availability of neonatal intensive care for extremely low birthweight (ELBW) infants, and the consequences of a lack of availability...
- Incidence and outcomes of major trauma assaults: a population-based study in VictoriaPhebe A O'Mullane
Trauma and Emergency Centre, Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Vic
Med J Aust 190:129-32. 2009To describe the incidence and outcomes of assault resulting in serious injury in Victoria.
- Prevalence of emotional and physical health concerns amongst young people in VictoriaE Waters
Department of Paediatrics, University of Melbourne, Royal Children s Hospital, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
J Paediatr Child Health 35:28-33. 1999..To describe the emotional and physical health concerns of young people, and identify the concerns for which young people are more likely to seek help...
- Dynamic light use and protection from excess light in upper canopy and coppice leaves of Nothofagus cunninghamii in an old growth, cool temperate rainforest in Victoria, AustraliaMichael Tausz
School of Forest and Ecosystem Science, University of Melbourne, Water Street, Creswick, Victoria 3363, Australia
New Phytol 165:143-55. 2005..in upper canopy and coppice leaves of Nothofagus cunninghamii growing in an old-growth rainforest gully in Victoria, Australia. Shaded leaves were exposed to a sudden increase in irradiance from 20 to 1500 micromol m(-2) s(-1)...
- Intravenous potassium chloride prescribing and administration practices in Victoria: an observational studyMelita A Van de Vreede
Pharmacy Department, Bayside Health, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Med J Aust 189:575-7. 2008..To identify current prescribing and administration practices in relation to intravenous potassium chloride (IV KCl)...
- A statewide system of trauma care in Victoria: effect on patient survivalPeter A Cameron
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Monash University, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Med J Aust 189:546-50. 2008To determine whether the statewide system of trauma care introduced in 2000 has resulted in improved survival for all major trauma patients in Victoria.
- Prevalence of colonisation with vancomycin-resistant enterococci (VRE) among haemodialysis outpatients in Victoria: implications for screeningLaurelle J Burrell
Med J Aust 182:492. 2005
- A snapshot of the prevalence of physical activity amongst older, community dwelling people in Victoria, Australia: patterns across the 'young-old' and 'old-old'Jane Sims
School of Physiotherapy, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
BMC Geriatr 7:4. 2007..Physical activity has a range of health benefits for older people. The aim of this study was to determine physical activity prevalence and attitudes amongst respondents to a trial screening survey...
- Workforce trends in specialist and GP obstetric practice in VictoriaCameron S Loy
Greater Green Triangle University Department of Rural Health, Flinders and Deakin Universities, Warrnambool, Victoria, Australia
Med J Aust 186:26-30. 2007To provide a contemporary picture of the general practitioner and specialist obstetric workforce in Victoria.
- Incidence of Chlamydia infection among asymptomatic women pesented for routine Papanicolaou smear: experience in South-Western Victoria, AustraliaDavid T W Chiang
Rural Remote Health 6:633. 2006
- Factors influencing recent dental graduates' location and sector of employment in VictoriaM Silva
School of Dental Science, The University of Melbourne, Victoria
Aust Dent J 51:46-51. 2006Recruitment and retention of dentists in the public sector and rural areas in Victoria has become increasingly difficult in recent years...
- A new surveillance system for monitoring HIV infection in Victoria, AustraliaRebecca Guy
Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health Research, Macfarlane Burnet Institute for Medical Research and Public Health, Melbourne, VIC 3001, Australia
Sex Health 4:195-9. 2007To establish a new mechanism for monitoring patterns of HIV infection, in the context of a sustained increase in HIV diagnosis among men who have sex with men (MSM) in Victoria.
- Gender differences in the utilisation of optometric services in VictoriaBen Harris
Optometrists Association Australia, Victorian Division, PO Box 1045, Fitzroy North, VIC 3068, Australia
Clin Exp Optom 88:109-12. 2005..Men are 28 per cent less likely than women to see an optometrist in Victoria. Both women's and men's utilisation of optometric services in Victoria increase with age but there are clear ..
- Measles outbreak in young adults in Victoria, 1999S B Lambert
Department of Human Services, Melbourne, Vic
Med J Aust 173:467-71. 2000To describe an outbreak of measles in Victoria.
- General practitioners leaving rural practice in Western VictoriaP MacIsaac
West Vic Division of General Practice, Ararat, Victoria, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 8:68-72. 2000..of General Practice, The University of Queensland conducted a qualitative study of GPs who had left western Victoria over the previous 10 years to examine issues relating to the decision to leave rural practice...
- Interlaboratory variation of GHb assays in Victoria, AustraliaR E Gilbert
Endocrinology Unit, Austin and Repatriation Medical Centre, Heidelberg, Victoria, Australia
Diabetes Care 19:730-4. 1996..To determine the extent of interlaboratory variation and accuracy in the measurement of glycated hemoglobin (GHb)...
- The management of testicular cancer in Victoria, 1988-1993. Urology Study Committee of the Victorian Co-operative Oncology GroupG C Toner
Medical Oncology, Peter MacCallum Cancer Institute, Melbourne, Vic
Med J Aust 174:328-31. 2001To evaluate the patterns of care and management of testicular cancer in Victoria.
- Salvage logging in the montane ash eucalypt forests of the Central Highlands of Victoria and its potential impacts on biodiversityD B Lindenmayer
Centre for Resource and Environmental Studies, Australian National University, Canberra, ACT, 0200, Australia
Conserv Biol 20:1005-15. 2006The two major forms of disturbance in the montane ash eucalypt forests of the Central Highlands of Victoria (southeastern Australia) are clearfell logging and unplanned wildfires...
- Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis in Victoria: a 10-year reviewCaroline J Lavender
Mycobacterium Reference Laboratory, Victorian Infectious Diseases Reference Laboratory, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Med J Aust 191:315-8. 2009To describe demographic and clinical characteristics of patients residing in Victoria who were diagnosed with multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB) during the period 1 January 1998 to 31 December 2007.
- Epidemiology of laboratory confirmed tuberculosis in Victoria, 1990 to 2004Michelle E McPherson
National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health, Acton, Australian Capital Territory
Commun Dis Intell Q Rep 32:237-41. 2008..we investigated all laboratory confirmed tuberculosis cases diagnosed by the State TB reference laboratory in Victoria between 1990 and 2004...
- Road traffic fatalities in Victoria, Australia and changes to the trauma care systemF T McDermott
The Consultative Committee on Road Traffic Fatalities in Victoria, Southbank, Victoria, Australia
Br J Surg 88:1099-104. 2001The aim was to identify organizational and clinical errors in the management of road traffic fatalities and to use this information to improve Victoria's trauma care system.
- End-of-life decisions in medical practice: a survey of doctors in Victoria (Australia)D A Neil
School of English Literatures, Philosophy and Languages, Faculty of Arts, University of Wollongong, NSW 2522 Australia
J Med Ethics 33:721-5. 2007To discover the current state of opinion and practice among doctors in Victoria, Australia, regarding end-of-life decisions and the legalisation of voluntary euthanasia. Longitudinal comparison with similar 1987 and 1993 studies.
- Newborn circumcision in Victoria, Australia: reasons and parental attitudesBo Xu
St Vincent s Hospital Melbourne, Fitzroy, Vic, Australia
ANZ J Surg 78:1019-22. 2008..of this study was to study the reasons why some parents continue to seek professional circumcision service for their newborn boys in Victoria, Australia, their attitudes towards newborn circumcision and their personal characteristics.
- An epidemiologic study of orofacial clefts with other birth defects in Victoria, AustraliaLinda D Vallino-Napoli
Craniofacial Outcomes Research Laboratory, Alfred I duPont Hospital for Children, Wilmington, Delaware 19899, USA
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 43:571-6. 2006To describe the epidemiological characteristics of oral clefts occurring with other birth defects in Victoria, Australia.
- Attendance rates and outcomes of cardiac rehabilitation in Victoria, 1998Vijaya Sundararajan
Department of Human Services, L18 120 Spencer St, Melbourne, VIC 3000, Australia
Med J Aust 180:268-71. 2004To describe the patterns of use of cardiac rehabilitation in Victoria and to assess whether the survival benefits predicted in clinical trials have been realised in the community.
- Asthma is more prevalent in rural New South Wales than metropolitan Victoria, AustraliaR K Woods
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Monash Medical School and Alfred Hospital, Prahran, Victoria, Australia
Respirology 5:257-63. 2000..The aim of this study was to compare the prevalence of adult respiratory symptoms and conditions in a rural setting with a metropolitan setting...
- A whole of population-based series of radical prostatectomy in Victoria, 1995 to 2000Damien Bolton
Austin Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria
Aust N Z J Public Health 33:527-33. 2009....
- Sudden unexpected death in epilepsy in VictoriaK Opeskin
Victorian Institute of Forensic Medicine, Southbank, Australia
J Clin Neurosci 7:34-7. 2000..The purpose of this study was to examine associated factors and mechanisms relating to SUDEP in Victoria. The study was a retrospective study based on data from questionnaires completed by treating doctors and coronial ..
- Invasive pneumococcal disease in Victoria: a better measurement of the true incidenceH J Clothier
Communicable Diseases Section, Rural and Regional Health and Aged Care Services Division, Department of Human Services, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Epidemiol Infect 136:225-31. 2008..We conducted sequential deterministic data-linkage between IPD notifications and hospitalization data in Victoria, Australia, in order to determine whether all diagnosed cases were being reported...
- Molecular changes associated with altered patterns of norovirus outbreak epidemics in Victoria, Australia, in 2006 to 2007Leesa D Bruggink
Gastroenteritis Section, Victorian Infectious Diseases Reference Laboratory, 10 Wreckyn Street, North Melbourne, Victoria 3051, Australia
J Clin Microbiol 48:857-61. 2010..In 2006, the pattern of NoV outbreak epidemics in Victoria, Australia, changed compared to the pattern for 2002 to 2005 and 2007...
- Influence of prenatal diagnosis and pregnancy termination of fetuses with birth defects on the perinatal mortality rate in Victoria, AustraliaNatasha Davidson
Victorian Public Health Training Scheme, Department of Human Services, Victoria, Australia
Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 19:50-5. 2005Historical data show that in Victoria birth defects have accounted for approximately 25% of all perinatal deaths...
- Heroin-related deaths in Victoria: a review of cases for 1997 and 1998J Gerostamoulos
Department of Forensic Medicine, Victorian Institute of Forensic Medicine, Monash University, 57-83 Kavanagh St, Southbank, Vic. 3006, Australia
Drug Alcohol Depend 61:123-7. 2001The objectives of this paper were to determine the number of heroin-related deaths in Victoria for the years 1997-1998 and to detail the demography and toxicology findings, and also compare heroin death rates for this decade...
- Cancer in adolescents and young adults: treatment and outcome in VictoriaAnne E Mitchell
Department of Haematology and Oncology, Royal Children s Hospital, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Med J Aust 180:59-62. 2004To describe the location of treatment, recruitment to clinical trials and outcomes for adolescents and young adults treated for cancer in Victoria.
- Eye injuries in rural Victoria, AustraliaSimon Raymond
School of Population Health, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 37:698-702. 2009Eye injury causes significant morbidity and is a leading cause of blindness worldwide. This study investigates the incidence, spectrum and patterns of eye injury presenting to a rural hospital in Victoria, Australia.
- Higher than expected seasonal influenza activity in Victoria, 2007Emma R Miller
Victorian Infectious Diseases Reference Laboratory, Melbourne, Victoria
Commun Dis Intell Q Rep 32:63-70. 2008..The most common strains identified in Victoria in the 2007 influenza season were A/ Brisbane/10/2007-like followed by A/Solomon Islands/3/2006-like...
- Sex workers can be screened too often: a cost-effectiveness analysis in Victoria, AustraliaDavid P Wilson
National Centre in HIV Epidemiology and Clinical Research, The University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Sex Transm Infect 86:117-25. 2010Commercial sex is licensed in Victoria, Australia such that sex workers are required to have regular tests for sexually transmitted infections (STIs)...
- Bartonella-like DNA detected in Ixodes tasmani ticks (Acari: Ixodida) infesting Koalas (Phascolarctos cinereus) in Victoria, AustraliaInger Marie E Vilcins
1 Department of Biological Sciences, Division of Environmental and Life Sciences Macquarie University, North Ryde, NSW, Australia
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 9:499-503. 2009..n = 1) were collected from wild koalas (Phascolarctos cinereus) at the Koala Convention Centre, Philip Island, Victoria, Australia and screened for the presence of Bartonella using the target gene gltA...
- Therapeutic group programme for women with postnatal depression in rural Victoria: a pilot studyElizabeth Craig
Womens Mental Health Worker, Centre for Rural Mental Health, Bendigo Health Care Group, Bendigo, Vic, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 13:291-5. 2005....
- Potential for organ donation in Victoria: an audit of hospital deathsHelen I Opdam
Department of Intensive Care, Austin Health, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Med J Aust 185:250-4. 2006..To determine the potential for organ donation in 12 Victorian hospitals...
- OXYGEN AND LIGHT DEPENDENCY OF PHOTODYNAMIC THERAPYBarbara Henderson; Fiscal Year: 2004..the interaction of two photosensitizers, an anionic pyropheophorbide derivative (HPPH) and the cationic dye Victoria Blue-BO (VBBO)...
- Paracrine Regulation of IGF-I in the Developing IleumPhillip Gordon; Fiscal Year: 2006..The primary mentor, Dr. Victoria Camerini, has a productive record in both research and research training (she currently holds an RO1 and is a ..
- Evo-epidemiology of Scistosoma mansoni in children in KenyaERIC SAMUEL LOKER; Fiscal Year: 2010..human host, and focuses particularly on adult human subjects and foci of transmission along the shores of Lake Victoria. Building on the techniques developed in the parent grant, we will complement and expand its impact by applying ..
- Development of Therapeutic Pan-Filovirus Macaque Monoclonal AntibodiesSven G Enterlein; Fiscal Year: 2013..The main species causing natural outbreaks are Zaire and Sudan EBOV as well as Lake Victoria MARV...
- Development of a novel second-generation pan-filovirus subunit vaccineKelly Lyn Warfield; Fiscal Year: 2012..In Specific Aim 1 we will produce engineered antigens for Zaire and Sudan Ebolaviruses as well as Lake Victoria Marburgvirus using a baculovirus/insect cell expression system...
- Determinants of resistance in human schistosomiasisDaniel G Colley; Fiscal Year: 2013..mansoni in Lake Victoria, and is based on 14 years of collaborative, longitudinal studies...
- TRANSMISSION DYNAMICS OF CA-MRSA AMONG HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS AND THE HOME ENVIRONMENTSTEPHANIE ANN FRITZ; Fiscal Year: 2013..Louis Children's Hospital under the mentorship of Victoria Fraser, M.D., an accomplished clinical investigator in infectious diseases epidemiology...
- Norms and Built Environment: Use of Shade in U.S. and Australian City ParksDavid B Buller; Fiscal Year: 2013..Pilot studies confirmed that adults in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia had stronger sun protection habits and norms than adults in Denver, Colorado, USA...
- Environment-person Influences on the Development of Early Alcohol Use and MisuseRichard F Catalano; Fiscal Year: 2010..7, and 9) using matched procedures and recruitment of state wide representative samples in Washington state and Victoria, Australia...
- Evidence based control strategies of Sleeping Sickness vectorsSerap Aksoy; Fiscal Year: 2012..Earlier tsetse control efforts in the Lake Victoria basin and in the southern Rift Valley were unsustainable and these regions rapidly became repopulated...
- Molecular Fluorescent ToolkitVLADISLAV VERKHUSHA; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The green fluorescent protein (GFP) from jellyfish Aequorea victoria and homologues fluorescent proteins (FPs) from Anthozoa corals have become invaluable tools for cell imaging...
- Regulation of pancreatic islet location and size during embryonic developmentMary D Kinkel; Fiscal Year: 2011..The career development plan includes training via a mentoring committee composed of two developmental biologists, Victoria Prince, PhD and Robert Ho, PhD, both of whom study zebrafish development, and a diabetes physician scientist...
- 4th ASM Conference on Salmonella: the Bacterium, the Host and the EnvironmentJorge E Galan; Fiscal Year: 2013..The conference follows previous editions held in Sardinia, Italy (2003), Victoria, BC, Canada (2006), and Aix-en-Provence, France, (2009)...
- NW Research Center for Excellence in Biodefense and Emerging Infectious DiseasesSamuel I Miller; Fiscal Year: 2013..Additional sites for collaboration include the NIAID Rocky Mountain Laboratory in Montana, the University of Victoria, British Columbia, and collaborators at sites in Thailand, Sweden, and Mexico...
- LONGITUDINAL STUDY OF COGNITIVE AGINGRoger A Dixon; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): This is a revision of a renewal application for a project known as the Victoria Longitudinal Study (VLS)...
- CENTER FOR STUDIES IN DEMOGRAPHY AND ECOLOGYJOHN MARK ELLIS; Fiscal Year: 2013..University, Western Washington University, Seattle University, Battelle Memorial Institute, and the University of Victoria, Canada...
- National Center for Biomedical OntologyMark A Musen; Fiscal Year: 2013..participation of leading scientific groups at Stanford, Mayo Clinic, University at Buffalo, and the University of Victoria. Our objectives are defined by the following six Cores: (1) the development of enhanced computational methods for ..
- 3rd ASM Conference on SalmonellaFerric Fang; Fiscal Year: 2009..on Salmonella, which were held from 20-24 September 2003, in Sardinia, Italy and from 9-13 September 2006, in Victoria, BC, Canada. This conference series is the only one that covers all aspects of Salmonella research...
- Systems Science to Guide Whole-of-Community Childhood Obesity InterventionsRoss A Hammond; Fiscal Year: 2013..a whole-of-community obesity prevention demonstration project for preschoolers in one city in the state of Victoria, Australia...
- Infectious Disease & Healthcare Epidemiology MentoringVictoria J Fraser; Fiscal Year: 2010..This proposal is for a five year K24 Mid-Career Development Award for patient oriented research and mentoring for Victoria Fraser MD in infectious disease (ID) and healthcare epidemiology...
- BIOLUMINESCENT PROTEINS AS LABELS IN DIAGNOSTIC ASSAYSMILTON CORMIER; Fiscal Year: 1992..Our laboratory has recently cloned and expressed two recombinant bioluminescent proteins, aequorin (from Aequorea victoria) and Renilla luciferase...
- INTRACELLULAR INFECTION OF HUMAN ALVEOLAR MACROPHAGESDavid Park; Fiscal Year: 2001..pneumophila and M. tuberculosis; 3) to develop and use a virulent L. pneumophila strain transduced with the A victoria green fluorescent protein gene to co-localize intracellular bacteria and specific components of the human ..
- ROLE OF PHOSPHATIDIC ACID IN GROWTH FACTOR SIGNALINGGuillermo Romero; Fiscal Year: 2003..b>victoria Green Fluorescent Protein (GFP)...
- ROLE OF FUCOSYLTRANSEFERASE IN ANTIVIRAL CYTOTOXICITYMANJUNATH SWAMY; Fiscal Year: 2000..role of fucosylated PSGL-1 in humans We have also produced transgenic mice whose T cells express the Jellyfish Victoria acquoria-derived green fluorescent protein (GFP-Tg)...
- PPARgamma: Biomarker for Breast Cancer in Older WomenPearl Seo; Fiscal Year: 2009..Her research program will be overseen by mentors Drs. Victoria Seewaldt and Harvey Jay Cohen who have expertise in early breast carcinogenesis and geriatric oncology ..
- Integration of Developmental Signaling PathwaysAndrew D Robertson; Fiscal Year: 2010..Jim Woodgett and Dr. Joseph Kelleher, which will be held in Victoria, British Columbia from March 23 - 28, 2010...
- Western Region Islet Study GroupJohn Hutton; Fiscal Year: 2007..S. and Canada. The second meeting was held at the Victoria Conference Center in Victoria B.C. from Nov 1-3rd, 2002 and was attended by 86 researchers...
- Student and Young Researcher Travel Support for the 10th International ConferenceJOSEPH SEYMOUR; Fiscal Year: 2009..Invited speakers who have accepted include Dr. Eiichi Fukushima (NMR, NM), Prof. Paul T. Callaghan (Victoria U., NZ), Professor Bernhard Bl[unreadable]mich (Aachen, G), Prof. Lynn Gladden (Cambridge, UK), Prof...
- ASM Conference on Biofilms 2003Matthew Parsek; Fiscal Year: 2003..of biofilm-related research in microbial biofilms, ASM is sponsoring a meeting called Biofilms 2003 to be held in Victoria, British Columbia. This meeting will allow researchers to gather and discuss their work...
- PURCHASE OF A LASER DESORPTION/TOF MASS SPECTROMETERRichard Caprioli; Fiscal Year: 1991..Co-investigators are Finn Wold who will study glycoprotein structure and function; Victoria Knutson, insulin receptor metabolism; Jerry Wolinsky, molecular immune response determinants of Rubella virus; ..
- Western Region Islet Study GroupJohn Hutton; Fiscal Year: 2002..The 2nd annual meeting of the Western Region Islet Study group is planned for November 1-3rd, 2002 in Victoria BC, Canada...
- LISTERIA VIRULENCE GENE EXPRESSION WITHIN HOST CELLSNancy Freitag; Fiscal Year: 2001..Bacterial gene fusions to the bioluminescent green fluorescent protein (GFP) gene of Aequorea Victoria will be constructed and introduced into the L. monocytogenes chromosome. Macrophage cells infected with the L...
- Prevention of Catheter-Associated Blood Stream InfectionsDavid Warren; Fiscal Year: 2007..In addition, I have chosen a mentor, Dr. Victoria Fraser, an expert in the field of nosocomial infection outcomes and prevention, and a faculty advisory committee ..
- CONFERENCE--SUPPORT FOR IMA WORKSHOP ON INFECTIOUS DISEAWILLARD MILLER; Fiscal Year: 1999..of Pomona College, Denise Kirschner of The University of Michigan and Pauline van den Driessche, University of Victoria, British Columbia...
- FINAL EXPRESSION OF BETA-GLUCURONIDASE IN DROSOPHILADaniel Hartl; Fiscal Year: 1980This study is a collaboration with Dr. Victoria Finnerty of Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia...
- ROLE OF FUCOSYLTRANSFERASE IN ANTIVIRAL CYTOTOXICITYMANJUNATH SWAMY; Fiscal Year: 2004..We have also produced transgenic mice whose T cells express the jellyfish Victoria acquoria-derived green fluorescent protein (GFP-Tg)...
- ETIOLOGY OF SUBSTANCE USE IN AUSTRALIA /USARichard Catalano; Fiscal Year: 2004..and compare the epidemiology and etiology of substance use and abuse in Washington State and the State of Victoria in Australia. Data will be collected from statewide probability samples of 5th, 7th, and 9th grade students...
- 2007 Staphylococcal Diseases Gordon ConferenceKenneth Bayles; Fiscal Year: 2007..The next Staphylococcal GRC is scheduled to be[unreadable] held in Les Diablerets, Switzerland at the Eurotel Victoria conference facility...
- APOE and Functional Severity in Cerebral PalsyJames Blackman; Fiscal Year: 2009..This study will utilize the ongoing longitudinal cohort study of young children with cerebral palsy (CP) in the Victoria and Queensland states of Australia to examine the relationship between the Apolipoprotein E (APOE) gene and ..
- 8th International Workshop on Developmental NephrologyROBERT CHEVALIER; Fiscal Year: 2001..is a request for partial support for the 8th International Workshop on Developmental Nephrology to be held in Victoria, BC, Canada, on August 29-31, 2001...
- Lifestyle Activities and Changes in Cognitive AbilitiesBrent Small; Fiscal Year: 2005..Specifically, using multi-wave longitudinal data from the Victoria Longitudinal Study, we will examine longitudinal changes in processing speed, working memory, and episodic memory ..
- 2009 Epithelial Differentiation & KeratinzationPIERRE COULOMBE; Fiscal Year: 2009..The aims of the next Conference, to be held June 21-26 (2009) at Les Diablerets/Eurotel Victoria in Switzerland, are to: 1) build on a long-standing tradition of defining the most important problems and ..
- GFP-like proteins:Diversity and determinants of colorMikhail Matz; Fiscal Year: 2006..provided by applicant): Proteins homologous to green fluorescent protein (GFP) from the jellyfish Aequorea victoria have become indispensable tools for in vivo imaging, and are widely used in basic biomedical research and drug ..
- MIRT IN MOLECULAR BIOLOGY AND INFECTIOUS DISEASESGeorge Hillyer; Fiscal Year: 2004..Valladolid, & Gran Canaria in Spain, Edinburgh & Cambridge in the UK, Heidelberg, Germany, and Monash, in Clayton, Victoria, Australia. Training periods of 3-6 months with these outstanding investigators are contemplated.
- MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS--APPROACHES TO MANAGEMENTDonald Silberberg; Fiscal Year: 1993..Approaches to Management," which will be held as a satellite symposium of the World Federation of Neurology in Victoria, British Columbia, September 11-13, 1993...
- NSABP MEMBER--ROYAL VICTORIA HOSPITALHenry Shibata; Fiscal Year: 2000..The Royal Victoria Hospital has been an NSABP member since May 1974 and is currently following 503 patients previously randomized on ..
- MORPHOGENESIS OF THE HEART--FORMATION OF SEGMENTSRoger Markwald; Fiscal Year: 2001..Maria Victoria de la Cruz and Dr. Ricardo Moreno - are uniquely experienced and qualified...
- GFP IMAGING FOR IN VIVO HIGH-THROUGHPUT DRUG SCREENINGMeng Yang; Fiscal Year: 2002..we have transduced the green fluorescent protein (GFP) gene, cloned from the bioluminescent jellyfish Aequorea victoria, into a series of 50 human and rodent cancer cell lines that stably express GFP in vivo after transplantation to ..
- Novel Fluorescent Proteins for BioimagingHung Teh Kao; Fiscal Year: 2005Green fluorescent protein from Aequoria victoria (GFP) has revolutionized cellular bioimaging studies. GFP has been used in viruses, bacteria, cultured cells, yeast, transgenic plants, and transgenic animals from worms to mice...
- FAMILY RISK & PROTECTIVE FACTORS FOR DEMENTIA CAREGIVERSVICTORIA MITRANI; Fiscal Year: 2004DESCRIPTION (adapted from the application): The objective of this MRSDAA is for Dr. Victoria Mitrani, an Hispanic woman, to develop a career as an independent behavioral scientist in dementia caregiving research with aging families...
- Lifestyles Physical Activity and Function in RAKevin Fontaine; Fiscal Year: 2006..Kevin Fontaine, Assistant Professor of Medicine at Johns Hopkins University, who trained in Psychology at the Victoria University of Manchester, U.K., is seeking this Mentored Patient-Oriented Research Career Development Award (K23)...
- STABLE FOLD SELECTION FOR HETEROLOGOUS PROTEINSROBERT BALINT; Fiscal Year: 2001..In Phase I the method was used to improve the expression of the Green Fluorescent Protein (GFP) of Aequorea Victoria by a factor of 30 over the wild-type protein. A mutagenic library of GFP was expressed in E...
- SPORE IN BREAST CANCERHerbert Lyerly; Fiscal Year: 2007..The Career Development Program chaired by O. Michael Colvin and Victoria Seewaldt, aids the development of new investigators and the Developmental Research Program, chaired by Donald ..
- Inhibitors of 5alpha-reductase for acne therapyLingna Li; Fiscal Year: 2002..PROPOSED COMMERCIAL APPLICATIONS: Liposomal 4-MA will be developed as a topical selectively targeted therapeutic for acne for which they should be a very market. ..
- RHOMOCYCSTEINASE FOR HOMOCYSTEINE ASSAYYuying Tan; Fiscal Year: 2002..The tHCY enzymatic kits for these applications will be ready for commercial launch at this point. PROPOSED COMMERCIAL APPLICATION: Not Available ..
- Discovery of novel fluorescent reporter genesMing Zhao; Fiscal Year: 2004The green fluorescent protein (GFP) from Aequorea victoria has been developed into a highly versatile reporter gene. Another family of fluorescent proteins, including Discosoma Red (DsRed), has been cloned from corals (4)...
- Genetics of Mild Hearing Loss in children Aged 6-12 yrsMelissa Wake; Fiscal Year: 2004..BROAD, LONG-TERM OBJECTIVES: This large-scale project, to be carried out in Victoria, Australia, will be the most comprehensive study yet to address the impacts and genetics of mild childhood ..
- Enzyme therapy for hyperhomocysteinemiaYuying Tan; Fiscal Year: 2005..Phase II results will lead to an IND for MEGC-PEG-rMETase for end stage renal disease patients and other patients with intractable hyperhomocysteinemia and high cardiovascular disease mortality. ..
- Imageable tumor-targeting bacteriaMing Zhao; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Dual-color tumor-host imaging modelsMeng Yang; Fiscal Year: 2007..These models have significant commercial potential for discovery and development of stroma-targeted and anti-angiogenesis drugs. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Therapeutic hair follicle-derived neurospheresMeng Yang; Fiscal Year: 2007..Human hair- follicle bulge cells will be further characterized and developed for therapeutic potential for nerve regeneration in Phase III. [unreadable]..
- Adenoviral GFP targeting of metastatic human tumors using multiple delivery routeHiroyuki Kishimoto; Fiscal Year: 2008..Having obtained these results, we can move forward in the Phase II grant application with experiments to bring OBP-401 to the clinic for use in cancer surgery in human patients. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..