Genomes and Genes
new south wales
Summary: A state in southeastern Australia. Its capital is Sydney. It was discovered by Captain Cook in 1770 and first settled at Botany Bay by marines and convicts in 1788. It was named by Captain Cook who thought its coastline resembled that of South Wales. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p840 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, 1992, p377)
Publications370 found, 100 shown here
- Polymorphisms in DNA repair genes and risk of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in New South Wales, AustraliaMin Shen
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Rockville, MD 20892 7240, USA
Haematologica 92:1180-5. 2007..We investigated whether putatively functional single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNP) in DNA repair genes influence susceptibility to NHL in a population-based case-control study conducted in Australia...
- Polymorphisms in immune function genes and risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma: findings from the New South Wales non-Hodgkin Lymphoma StudyMark P Purdue
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Rockville, MD 20892 7240, USA
Carcinogenesis 28:704-12. 2007..06, 95% CI=0.88-4.83; trend test, P=0.02). Our findings offer further evidence that variation in the IL10 and TNF loci influences NHL risk. Additional studies are needed to clarify the genetic and biologic basis for these relationships...
- 'It looks good on paper': transitions of care between midwives and child and family health nurses in New South WalesCaroline S E Homer
Centre for Midwifery, Child and Family Health, Faculty of Nursing, Midwifery and Health, University of Technology Sydney, Australia
Women Birth 22:64-72. 2009..The aim of the study was to understand the transition of care from one service to another and how to promote collaboration in the first few weeks after the birth...
- Driving to work and overweight and obesity: findings from the 2003 New South Wales Health Survey, AustraliaL M Wen
Health Promotion Unit Eastern Zone, Sydney South West Area Health Service, Camperdown, NSW, Australia
Int J Obes (Lond) 30:782-6. 2006..To examine possible associations between driving to work, physical activity and overweight and obesity...
- Willingness to offer chlamydia testing in general practice in New South WalesAsaduzzaman Khan
Department of Statistics, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh
Aust N Z J Public Health 30:226-30. 2006..To assess willingness of general practitioners (GPs) to offer chlamydia testing to patients, and to identify demographic and practice correlates associated with willingness to offer chlamydia testing...
- Multilocus sequence typing of Campylobacter jejuni isolates from New South Wales, AustraliaL Mickan
Infectious Diseases Laboratories, Institute of Medical and Veterinary Science, Adelaide, SA, Australia
J Appl Microbiol 102:144-52. 2007....
- The self-reported health status of prisoners in New South WalesT Butler
Centre for Health Research in Criminal Justice Corrections Health Service, Eastgardens, New South Wales
Aust N Z J Public Health 28:344-50. 2004To describe the physical health of the New South Wales prisoner population.
- Physical activity among adolescents in New South Wales (Australia): 1997 and 2004Louise L Hardy
NSW Centre of Overweight and Obesity, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
Med Sci Sports Exerc 40:835-41. 2008..To examine secular trends, seasonal and socioeconomic differences in physical activity participation among Australian adolescents in 1997 and 2004...
- High use of complementary therapies in a New South Wales rural communityJ M Wilkinson
School of Biomedical Sciences, Charles Sturt University, Wagga Wagga, New South Wales, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 9:166-71. 2001..a postal questionnaire was used to investigate the use of complementary therapies (CT) in a rural region of New South Wales (NSW). A total of 70.3% of respondents reported using one or more therapies with 62...
- Socio-demographic factors associated with smoking and smoking cessation among 426,344 pregnant women in New South Wales, AustraliaMohammed Mohsin
Centre for Research, Evidence Management and Surveillance, Division of Population Health, Sydney South West Area Health Service, Liverpool BC, NSW 1871, Australia
BMC Public Health 5:138. 2005..This study explores the socio-demographic characteristics of pregnant women who continue to smoke during the pregnancy, and identifies the characteristics of the smokers who were likely to quit smoking during the pregnancy period...
- How useful are hospital morbidity data for monitoring conditions occurring in the perinatal period?Lee K Taylor
Health Evaluation and Research Outcomes Network Heron, Australia
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 45:36-41. 2005..Hospital morbidity data collections are a possible source of this information, but have not been widely utilised due to concerns about data quality...
- Norovirus recombination in ORF1/ORF2 overlapRowena A Bull
School of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences, Faculty of Science, University of New South Wales, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Emerg Infect Dis 11:1079-85. 2005..We provide evidence to support the theory of the role of subgenomic RNA promoters as recombination hotspots and describe a simple mechanism of how recombination might occur in NoV...
- The prevalence of maternal medical conditions during pregnancy and a validation of their reporting in hospital discharge dataRuth M Hadfield
Perinatal Research, The Kolling Institute of Medical Research, University of Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 48:78-82. 2008..We compared medical records from a random selection of New South Wales (NSW) women who gave birth in a NSW hospital in 2002 with coded hospital discharge records...
- General practitioners' management of patients with mental health conditions: the views of general practitioners working in rural north-western New South WalesChristian Alexander
Hunter New England Area Rural Training Unit, Hunter New England Health Service, Tamworth, New South Wales, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 16:363-9. 2008..To identify the needs of the region's general practitioners concerning diagnosing, treating and referring patients with mental health disorders and major barriers to the general practitioners' management of these patients...
- Perinatal and maternal risk factors for autism spectrum disorders in New South Wales, AustraliaK Williams
Clinical Epidemiology Unit, Children s Hospital at Westmead, Westmead, Australia
Child Care Health Dev 34:249-56. 2008..This study was commenced in 1999 with the aim of examining risk factors for autism using established population-based data for comparison...
- The descriptive epidemiology of sports/leisure-related heat illness hospitalisations in New South Wales, AustraliaCaroline F Finch
School of Human Movement and Sport Sciences, University of Ballarat, Australia
J Sci Med Sport 11:48-51. 2008..This study presents the descriptive epidemiology of sports/leisure-related heat illness hospitalisations in New South Wales, Australia...
- Concordance with national guidelines for colorectal cancer care in New South Wales: a population-based patterns of care studyJane M Young
Surgical Outcomes Research Centre SOURCE, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW
Med J Aust 186:292-5. 2007..To investigate predictors of evidence-based surgical care in a population-based sample of patients with newly diagnosed colorectal cancer...
- Prevalence of diversion and injection of methadone and buprenorphine among clients receiving opioid treatment at community pharmacies in New South Wales, AustraliaAdam R Winstock
Sydney South West Area Health Service, Drug Health Services, Locked Bag 4002, Ashfield, NSW 2131, Australia
Int J Drug Policy 19:450-8. 2008This study aimed to investigate the prevalence of diversion and injection of methadone and buprenorphine among clients receiving opioid pharmacotherapy treatment at community pharmacies in New South Wales (NSW), Australia.
- Outcomes of pregnancies in women with pre-gestational diabetes mellitus and gestational diabetes mellitus; a population-based study in New South Wales, Australia, 1998-2002A W Shand
School of Women s and Infants Health, The University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Diabet Med 25:708-15. 2008..To determine population-based rates and outcomes of pre-gestational diabetes mellitus (pre-GDM) and gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) in pregnancy...
- Akabane epizootics in New South Wales: evidence for long-distance dispersal of the biting midge Culicoides brevitarsisM D Murray
CSIRO, Division of Tropical Animal Science, North Ryde, New South Wales
Aust Vet J 64:305-8. 1987In 1983 an outbreak of Akabane disease occurred in calves in New South Wales between Coolah and Dunedoo at the foothills of the Liverpool Range, from Molong to Oberon in the Blue Mountains and in the Bylong Valley...
- Maternal deaths in New South Wales, Australia: a data linkage projectSusan Cliffe
National Perinatal Statistics Unit, School Women s and Children s Health, University of New South Wales, New South Wales, Australia
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 48:255-60. 2008..The magnitude of maternal mortality is underestimated as deaths occurring beyond the traditional 42-day time period after the pregnancy ending ('late death') have not been reported routinely in Australia...
- The role of individual differences in the accuracy of confidence judgmentsGerry Pallier
School of Psychology, The University of Sydney, NSW, Australia
J Gen Psychol 129:257-99. 2002..Collectively, the present results suggest that there are multiple causes of miscalibration, which current models of over- and underconfidence fail to encompass...
- Professional support in rural New South Wales: perceptions of new graduate occupational therapistsKaren Steenbergen
Mercy Care Centre, Young, New South Wales, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 12:160-5. 2004To explore the experiences of professional support among new graduates working in rural New South Wales, including the current availability of professional support and the impact of support levels on professional practice.
- Integrated models or mayhem? Lessons learnt from three integrated primary health care entities in regional New South WalesJenny May
University of Newcastle, University Dept of Rural Health, Locked Bag 9783 NE Sorting Centre, Tamworth, NSW 2340, Australia
Aust Health Rev 32:595-604. 2008..Being resource-intense, it may not be available or appropriate for all. The practical realities of workforce however, and the political and funding environment are likely to dictate how GP practices in the future embrace integration...
- Decline in cervical cancer incidence and mortality in New South Wales in relation to control activities (Australia)Richard Taylor
NSW Cervical Screening Program, Cumberland Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Cancer Causes Control 17:299-306. 2006..To examine time trends in cervical cancer incidence and mortality in NSW women aged yen20 years in relation to important health service initiatives and programs...
- Outdoor air pollution and children's respiratory symptoms in the steel cities of New South WalesP R Lewis
Newcastle Environmental Toxicology Research Unit, University of Newcastle, NSW
Med J Aust 169:459-63. 1998..To investigate the relationship between outdoor air pollution and the respiratory health of children aged 8 to 10 years...
- Mortality after all major types of osteoporotic fracture in men and women: an observational studyJ R Center
Bone and Mineral Research Division, Garvan Institute of Medical Research, St Vincent s Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Lancet 353:878-82. 1999..Mortality increases after hip fractures in women and more so in men. Little is known, however, about mortality after other fractures. We investigated the mortality associated with all fracture types in elderly women and men...
- Factors associated with walkout of patients from New South Wales hospital emergency departments, AustraliaMohammed Mohsin
Centre for Research, Evidence Management and Surveillance, Division of Population Health, Sydney South West Area Health Service, Liverpool BC, New South Wales, Australia
Emerg Med Australas 17:434-42. 2005To explore the association between daily patient numbers, sociodemographic, clinical and system characteristics and walkout rates of patients from New South Wales (NSW) public hospital ED (without seeing a medical officer).
- Accuracy of packaging of dose administration aids in regional aged care facilities in the Hunter area of New South WalesAnnette Carruthers
Hunter Urban Division of General Practice, Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Med J Aust 188:280-2. 2008..To audit the accuracy of dose administration aid (DAA) packaging in regional aged care facilities (RACFs) within the boundaries of the Hunter Urban Division of General Practice...
- Genotyping of urogenital Chlamydia trachomatis in Regional New South Wales, AustraliaDavid Mossman
Immunology and Infectious Diseases Unit, John Hunter Hospital, Newcastle, Australia
Sex Transm Dis 35:614-6. 2008
- Factors affecting the recruitment and retention of pharmacists to practice sites in rural and remote areas of New South Wales: a qualitative studyAnthony Harding
Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales 2006, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 14:214-8. 2006To explore factors affecting recruitment and retention of pharmacists in rural/remote areas of New South Wales (NSW).
- Second primary neoplasms following non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in New South Wales, AustraliaP Brennan
International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France
Br J Cancer 82:1344-7. 2000..We used data from the New South Wales Central Cancer Registry to analyse second primary neoplasms following NHL diagnosed between 1972 and 1995, to ..
- Randomized controlled trial of a computer strategy to increase general practitioner preventive careB Bonevski
New South Wales Cancer Council, Cancer Education Research Program CERP, Locked Bag 10, Wallsend, New South Wales, 2287, Australia
Prev Med 29:478-86. 1999....
- Associations between ambient air pollution and daily emergency department attendances for cardiovascular disease in the elderly (65+ years), Sydney, AustraliaBin Jalaludin
Centre for Research, Evidence Management and Surveillance, South Western Sydney Area Health Service, Liverpool Hospital, New South Wales, Australia
J Expo Sci Environ Epidemiol 16:225-37. 2006..Our study adds to the growing evidence for the effects of ambient air pollution on CVD outcomes even at relatively low ambient concentrations...
- Improvements in the quality of care and health outcomes with new stroke care units following implementation of a clinician-led, health system redesign programme in New South Wales, AustraliaD A Cadilhac
National Stroke Research Institute, Austin Health, Heidelberg Heights, Victoria, Australia
Qual Saf Health Care 17:329-33. 2008..In Australia, about a fifth of public hospitals provide stroke care units (SCUs). In 2001, the New South Wales (NSW) state government funded a clinician-led, health system redesign programme that included inpatient ..
- The rising incidence of childhood type 1 diabetes in New South Wales, 1990-2002Craig E Taplin
Institute of Endocrinology and Diabetes, The Children s Hospital at Westmead, Locked Bag 4001, Westmead, NSW 2145, Australia
Med J Aust 183:243-6. 2005To determine the incidence of childhood type 1 diabetes mellitus (T1DM) in New South Wales from 1997 to 2002; to compare with previously published rates (1990-1996); and to analyse trends in incidence from 1990 to 2002.
- Cyanobacteria and prawn farming in northern New South Wales, Australia--a case study on cyanobacteria diversity and hepatotoxin bioaccumulationHarri T Kankaanpää
School of Science, Food and Horticulture, University of Western Sydney, NSW 1797, Australia
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 203:243-56. 2005..toxin production plus bioaccumulation into black tiger prawns (Penaeus monodon) under both field (northern New South Wales, Australia, December 2001-April 2002) and laboratory conditions...
- Opioid agonist pharmacotherapy in New South Wales from 1985 to 2006: patient characteristics and patterns and predictors of treatment retentionLucy Burns
National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, University of New South Wales, Sydney
Addiction 104:1363-72. 2009....
- Do medical courses adequately prepare interns for safe and effective prescribing in New South Wales public hospitals?S N Hilmer
Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, New South Wales, Australia
Intern Med J 39:428-34. 2009To assess ability of interns immediately before starting clinical practice in New South Wales (NSW) teaching hospitals to prescribe medications safely and appropriately and to describe their impressions of the adequacy of their clinical ..
- Choice of secondary prevention improves risk factors after acute coronary syndrome: 1-year follow-up of the CHOICE (Choice of Health Options In prevention of Cardiovascular Events) randomised controlled trialJ Redfern
Department of Cardiology, Concord Hospital, Hospital Road, Concord, Australia
Heart 95:468-75. 2009..To determine the effect of a new CHOICE (Choice of Health Options In prevention of Cardiovascular Events) programme on cardiovascular risk factors in acute coronary syndrome (ACS) survivors...
- Prognosis in patients with recent onset low back pain in Australian primary care: inception cohort studyNicholas Henschke
Musculoskeletal Division, The George Institute for International Health, Sydney, Australia
BMJ 337:a171. 2008..To estimate the one year prognosis and identify prognostic factors in cases of recent onset low back pain managed in primary care...
- Homicide during psychotic illness in New South Wales between 1993 and 2002Olav B Nielssen
St Vincent s Hospital, Sydney, NSW
Med J Aust 186:301-4. 2007To review homicides committed during psychotic illness in New South Wales over 10 years from 1993 to 2002.
- Classification and description of stillbirths in New South Wales, 2002-2004Adrienne Gordon
Newborn Care, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital
Med J Aust 188:645-8. 2008To describe the pattern of stillbirths by cause and gestation period in New South Wales since the introduction of the Perinatal Society of Australia and New Zealand perinatal death classification (PSANZ-PDC); and to assess the agreement ..
- Adenocarcinoma of the oesophagus: incidence and survival rates in New South Wales, 1972-2005Efty P Stavrou
Cancer Institute NSW, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Med J Aust 191:310-4. 2009To investigate trends in the incidence of adenocarcinoma (AC) of the oesophagus in New South Wales, factors associated with a diagnosis of AC, and factors associated with survival of patients with AC.
- Lived experiences of immigrant nurses in New South Wales, Australia: searching for meaningAkram Omeri
Department of Family and Community Nursing, Faculty of Nursing, University of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Int J Nurs Stud 39:495-505. 2002..the lived experiences of five immigrant nurses, four from non-English-speaking backgrounds, practising in New South Wales, Australia...
- Flutracking surveillance: comparing 2007 New South Wales results with laboratory confirmed influenza notificationsSandra J Carlson
Hunter New England Population Health, Wallsend, New South Wales
Commun Dis Intell Q Rep 33:323-7. 2009..Influenza vaccination status of respondents is recorded. New South Wales Flutracking data for 2007 were compared with New South Wales laboratory notifications for confirmed influenza ..
- Road crash trends for young drivers in New South Wales, Australia, from 1997 to 2007H Y Chen
The George Institute for International Health, The University of Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Traffic Inj Prev 11:8-15. 2010The objective of this article was to explore overall crash and injury trends over the past decade for young drivers residing in New South Wales (NSW), Australia, including gender and age disparities.
- Cancer mortality in East and Southeast Asian migrants to New South Wales, Australia, 1975-1995M McCredie
Cancer Epidemiology Research Unit, New South Wales Cancer Council, Australia
Br J Cancer 79:1277-82. 1999Routinely collected data for New South Wales were used to analyse cancer mortality in migrants born in East or Southeast Asia according to duration of residence in Australia...
- Improvements in hand hygiene across New South Wales public hospitals: clean hands save lives, part IIIMary Louise McLaws
Hospital Infection Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit, School of Public Health and Community Medicine, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Med J Aust 191:S18-24. 2009To describe improvements in hand hygiene compliance after a statewide hand hygiene campaign conducted in New South Wales public hospitals.
- Degree-of-spread artefact in the New South Wales Central Cancer RegistryHelen Barraclough
Cancer Institute NSW, Australia
Aust N Z J Public Health 32:414-6. 2008To describe a data artefact in degree-of-spread at first presentation in the New South Wales Central Cancer Registry (NSW CCR), the only Australian cancer registry that records degree-of-spread data for all solid tumours.
- Two-year pilot study of newborn screening for congenital adrenal hyperplasia in New South Wales compared with nationwide case surveillance in AustraliaHelena K Gleeson
Institute of Endocrinology and Diabetes, The Children s Hospital at Westmead, New South Wales, Australia
J Paediatr Child Health 44:554-9. 2008....
- Researching culture and health: variables used to identify culturally diverse groups in New South WalesTim Luckett
School of Occupation and Leisure Sciences, University of Sydney
N S W Public Health Bull 16:151-4. 2005
- Sociodemographic distribution of measures of body fatness among children and adolescents in New South Wales, AustraliaM L Booth
Department of Public Health and Community Medicine, University of Sydney, NSW, Australia
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 23:456-62. 1999....
- Availability of gastro-intestinal nematode larvae to sheep following winter contamination of pasture with six nematode species on the Northern Tablelands of New South WalesJ N Bailey
Centre for Animal Health and Welfare, School of Rural Science and Agriculture, University of New England, Armidale, NSW 2351, Australia
Vet Parasitol 160:89-99. 2009..These findings are particularly relevant to the preparation of clean spring lambing paddocks in this region using grazing management...
- Community attitudes towards environmental tobacco smoke in licensed premises: follow-up study after the Sharp caseFlora Tzelepis
Centre for Health Research and Psycho oncology, The Cancer Council New South Wales, Wallsend, New South Wales
Aust N Z J Public Health 27:539-42. 2003..To examine community attitudes towards environmental tobacco smoke in licensed premises after the Sharp case decision...
- Recruitment and retention of rural allied health professionals in developmental disability services in New South WalesLois A Denham
Department of Ageing Disability and Home Care, Queanbeyan, New South Wales, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 12:28-9. 2004
- Use of point-of-care online clinical evidence by junior and senior doctors in New South Wales public hospitalsJ I Westbrook
Centre for Health Informatics, University of New South Wales, Kensington, New South Wales, Australia
Intern Med J 35:399-404. 2005..The Clinical Information Access Program (CIAP), an online evidence retrieval system, provides NSW health professionals in public hospitals with 24 h access to information supporting evidence-based practice...
- Profile of the physiotherapy profession in New South Wales (1975-2002)Gretchen Anderson
School of Physiotherapy, University of Sydney
Aust J Physiother 51:109-16. 2005This was the first study known to the authors exploring workforce data from the New South Wales Physiotherapists Registration Board over several decades...
- Underutilization of radiotherapy for lung cancer in New South Wales, AustraliaShalini K Vinod
Collaboration for Cancer Outcomes, Research, and Evaluation, Liverpool Hospital, University of New South Wales, Liverpool, New South Wales, Australia
Cancer 116:686-94. 2010..The objective of this study was to describe radiotherapy practice for lung cancer in New South Wales (NSW), Australia.
- Oral health status of prison inmates--New South Wales, AustraliaM Osborn
Public Health Officer Training Programme, NSW Health, Australia
Aust Dent J 48:34-8. 2003..This paper assesses the oral health status in a prison population and identifies risk factors associated with oral health...
- Asthma in preschool children: prevalence and risk factorsM M Haby
Centre for Community Child Health, Royal Children s Hospital Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria 3052, Australia
Thorax 56:589-95. 2001..This study was undertaken to measure the prevalence of, and risk factors for, asthma in preschool children...
- Inequalities in the transition of cerebrovascular disease mortality in New South Wales, Australia 1969-1996Ian H Burnley
University of New South Wales, School of Geography, Sydney, Australia
Soc Sci Med 54:545-59. 2002..However, while overall mortality declined, differentials increased. The reasons for this are considered, with particular implications for epidemiological transition theory and for the targeting of populations at risk in policy terms...
- Differing trends in sexual risk behaviours in three Australian states: New South Wales, Victoria and Queensland, 1998-2006Iryna B Zablotska
National Centre in HIV Social Research, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW 2052, Australia
Sex Health 5:125-30. 2008..In recent years, the number of new diagnoses stabilised in New South Wales (NSW), but increased in other states. We reviewed the trends in sexual behaviours to explain this difference.
- A population-based study of the outcome after small bowel atresia/stenosis in New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory, Australia, 1992-2003Karen Walker
Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, Grace Centre for Newborn Care, The Children s Hospital at Westmead, The University of Sydney, Westmead, NSW 2145, Australia
J Pediatr Surg 43:484-8. 2008The purpose of the study was to describe the incidence, epidemiology, and survival of infants with small bowel atresia/stenosis in New South Wales (NSW) and the Australian Capital Territory (ACT), Australia.
- Incidence trends and gender differences in malignant mesothelioma in New South Wales, AustraliaRebecca A Hyland
Workers Compensation Dust Diseases Board, Level 14 82 Elizabeth St, Sydney 2000, New South Wales, Australia
Scand J Work Environ Health 33:286-92. 2007..this study, incidence trends and clinical features for malignant mesothelioma were compared between genders in New South Wales (NSW), where notification of malignant mesothelioma to the Central Cancer Registry is a statutory requirement.
- Interval breast cancers in New South Wales, Australia, and comparisons with trials and other mammographic screening programmesR Taylor
Director of Monitoring, Evaluation, and Research, BreastScreen NSW, State Co ordination Unit, Westmead Hospital, Westmead, NSW, Australia
J Med Screen 9:20-5. 2002To present information on 1st year interval breast cancer from the New South Wales mammographic screening programme and to compare with published results from trials and services.
- Information sources used by New South Wales cancer clinicians: a qualitative studyE L Tan
Population Health and Use of Medicines Unit, St Vincent s Hospital, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Intern Med J 36:711-7. 2006..The work was carried out before activation of the Cancer Institute New South Wales Standard Cancer Treatment (CI-SCaT) programme.
- Morphology and ultrastructure of Sphaeromyxa noblei sp. n. (Myxozoa), parasite of Heteroclinus whiteleggii (Pisces) from Australian New South Wales coastJiri Lom
Institute of Parasitology, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Branisovska 31, 370 05 Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic
Folia Parasitol (Praha) 51:19-26. 2004..n., is described from Heteroclinus whiteleggii (Perciformes: Clinidae), a marine fish from the coast of New South Wales in Australia. This raises the number of Sphaeromyxa species to 38; their list is presented...
- Automated geocoding of routinely collected health data in New South WalesRichard Summerhayes
Northern Rivers University, Department of Rural Health
N S W Public Health Bull 17:33-8. 2006
- Collecting and using aboriginal health information in New South WalesA L Todd
Aboriginal Health Information Strategy, New South Wales Department of Health
Aust N Z J Public Health 24:378-81. 2000..The purpose of the guidelines is to promote the ethical management of Aboriginal health information, with appropriate consideration for cultural factors...
- Discordance between trends in chlamydia notifications and hospital admission rates for chlamydia related diseases in New South Wales, AustraliaM Y Chen
Sydney Sexual Health Centre, Sydney Hospital, Victoria, Australia
Sex Transm Infect 81:318-22. 2005..An increasing incidence of genital Chlamydia trachomatis infection would be expected to lead to a rise in the incidence of chlamydia related diseases...
- Chlamydia trachomatis infection among antenatal women in remote far west New South Wales, AustraliaJo Ann Lenton
Sex Health 4:139-40. 2007..cross-sectional study was undertaken of pregnant women attending antenatal services in the remote far west of New South Wales, Australia, between October 2004 and May 2006. Of 420 eligible women, 218 (52%) participated in the study...
- Quality of life in Hepatitis C virus infection: assessment of rural patients living in north-western New South WalesSanjeevani Gunasekera
Hunter New England Health, Hunter New England Rural Training Unit, Tamworth, New South Wales, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 16:213-20. 2008To measure the health-related quality of life (HRQOL) of rural Australian Hepatitis C virus (HCV)-infected patients living in north-western New South Wales.
- Bladder cancer survivals in New South Wales, Australia: why do women have poorer survival than men?Elizabeth Tracey
The Cancer Institute New South Wales, Alexandria, NSW, Australia
BJU Int 104:498-504. 2009To investigate factors that most influenced survival from bladder cancer in New South Wales, Australia (NSW) and to consider the impact of changes in coding practices on the reporting the of bladder cancer outcomes.
- Cocaine use in New South Wales, Australia, 1996-2000: 5 year monitoring of trends in price, purity, availability and use from the illicit drug reporting systemShane Darke
National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, University of New South Wales, Sydney NSW 2052, Australia
Drug Alcohol Depend 67:81-8. 2002..The regular and formal monitoring of illicit drug trends enabled substantial changes in the cocaine market in Sydney to be detected, and the information to be fed back to the health and law enforcement sectors...
- Identifying and overcoming the barriers to Aboriginal access to general practitioner services in Rural New South WalesBruce Andrews
NSW Central West Division of General Practice, Mid Western Area Health Service and General Practice, Bathurst, New South Wales, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 10:196-201. 2002..and Aboriginal Health Workers Project aimed to help improve Aboriginal health in central western New South Wales (NSW) by identifying and overcoming the barriers to the Aboriginal population's access to general ..
- Implementing clinical practice guidelines: a community-based audit of breast cancer treatment. Australian Capital Territory and South Eastern New South Wales Breast Cancer Treatment GroupP S Craft
Medical Oncology Unit, Canberra Hospital, ACT
Med J Aust 172:213-6. 2000..To improve breast cancer management by facilitating implementation of treatment guidelines...
- Short-term outcomes of infants of substance-using mothers admitted to neonatal intensive care units in New South Wales and the Australian Capital TerritoryMohamed E Abdel-Latif
Department of Newborn Care, Royal Hospital for Women, Randwick, Victoria, Australia
J Paediatr Child Health 43:127-33. 2007..Our study examines if outcome of infants of substance-using mothers (ISMs) in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) setting is similar to unexposed infants (controls)...
- Palliative care at home: stress for nurses in urban and rural New South Wales, AustraliaL M Wilkes
University of Western Sydney and Wentworth Area Health Service, Clinical Nursing Research Unit, Penrith, New South Wales, Australia
Int J Nurs Pract 7:306-13. 2001..Rural nurses had the additional stress of trying to provide a 24 h service over vast distances with a lack of financial resources...
- Profile of the rural allied health workforce in northern New South Wales and comparison with previous studiesTony Smith
University Department of Rural Health, University of Newcastle, Tamworth, Northern NSW, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 16:156-63. 2008To survey allied health professionals in one region of New South Wales.
- Recent trends in physical activity in New South Wales. Is the tide of inactivity turning?Josephine Chau
Centre for Physical Activity and Health, University of Sydney, New South Wales
Aust N Z J Public Health 32:82-5. 2008To examine recent trends in sufficient physical activity among New South Wales adults aged 16 years and over.
- Silicosis and lung cancer: a mortality study of compensated men with silicosis in New South Wales, AustraliaGeoffrey Berry
School of Public Health, Edward Ford Building A27, University of Sydney, New South Wales 2006, Australia
Occup Med (Lond) 54:387-94. 2004..We investigated the lung cancer mortality in men with silicosis in New South Wales, Australia, who were compensated, making allowance for smoking habits.
- Area socioeconomic status and childhood injury morbidity in New South Wales, AustraliaRoslyn Poulos
School of Public Health and Community Medicine, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Inj Prev 13:322-7. 2007..To explore the relationship between child injury morbidity and socioeconomic status...
- Environmental mastitis in intensive high-producing dairy herds in New South WalesL W C Shum
University of Sydney, Camden, New South Wales, Australia
Aust Vet J 87:469-75. 2009To determine the prevalence of mastitis pathogens in high-producing intensive dairy herds in New South Wales.
- Prevalence of Mantoux positivity and annual risk of infection for tuberculosis in New South Wales prisoners, 1996 and 2001Michael H Levy
Centre for Health Research in Criminal Justice, Justice Health, University of Sydney, Australia
N S W Public Health Bull 18:119-24. 2007..This study compares the prevalence of Mantoux positivity among prisoners in NSW in 1996 and 2001 and examines factors associated with Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection...
- Prevalence of psychoses on reception to male prisons in New South WalesOlav Nielssen
Division of Psychiatry, St Vincents Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 39:453-9. 2005To estimate the prevalence of psychotic illnesses among men received to prisons in New South Wales. The study also sought to estimate the sensitivity and specificity of the psychosis screener in the Composite International Diagnostic ..
- Trends in percutaneous coronary interventions in new South Wales, AustraliaDaminda P Weerasinghe
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick, NSW, Australia
Int J Environ Res Public Health 6:232-45. 2009This is the first detailed study on percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) in New South Wales (NSW), Australia. Hospital data for PCIs carried out between 1 July 1990 and 30 June 2002 are analysed...
- The impact of the Baby Bonus payment in New South Wales: who is having "one for the country"?Samantha J Lain
Perinatal Research, Kolling Institute of Medical Research, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Med J Aust 190:238-41. 2009..To assess the change in birth rates, both overall and in age, parity, socioeconomic and geographical subgroups of the population, after the introduction of the Baby Bonus payment in Australia on 1 July 2004...
- Annual or biennial mammography screening for women at a higher risk with a family history of breast cancer: prognostic indicators of screen-detected cancers in New South Wales, AustraliaDeborah Randall
NSW Dept of Health, North Sydney, NSW, Australia
Cancer Causes Control 20:559-66. 2009....
- Comparison of needle and syringe programme attendees and non-attendees from a high drug-using area in Sydney, New South WalesWen Cao
National Centre in HIV Social Research, University of New South Wales, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Drug Alcohol Rev 25:439-44. 2006..Strategies to promote access to NSP and harm reduction services, including testing for blood-borne viruses, information provision and consideration of referral to treatment among non-NSP attendees are recommended...
- Prostate cancer and prostate-specific antigen testing in New South WalesDavid P Smith
Cancer Council NSW, Sydney, Australia
Med J Aust 189:315-8. 2008To describe trends in prostate-specific antigen (PSA) testing, prostate cancer incidence and mortality in New South Wales.
- Mortality associated with New South Wales methadone programs in 1994: lives lost and savedJ R Caplehorn
Department of Public Health and Community Medicine, University of Sydney, NSW
Med J Aust 170:104-9. 1999To estimate the effects of methadone programs in New South Wales on mortality...
- Appropriateness of platelet, fresh frozen plasma and cryoprecipitate transfusion in New South Wales public hospitalsWilliam N Schofield
Department of Public Health and Community Medicine, University of Sydney at Westmead Hospital, Main Admin Block, Westmead Hospital, Hawkesbury Road, Westmead, NSW 2145
Med J Aust 178:117-21. 2003..To estimate the appropriateness of transfusions of platelets, fresh frozen plasma (FFP) and cryoprecipitate using National Health and Medical Research Council and Australasian Society for Blood Transfusion guidelines (NHMRC/ASBT 2002)...
- Field evaluation of an equine influenza ELISA used in New South Wales during the 2007 Australian outbreak responseEvan S G Sergeant
New South Wales Department of Primary Industries, Locked Bag 21, Orange, NSW 2800, Australia
Prev Vet Med 92:382-5. 2009..0; p<0.0001). Sensitivity and specificity of the test as used in the response (cut-point percentage inhibition> or =50) were 0.992 (95% CI: 0.979-0.997) and 0.967 (95% CI: 0.957-0.976), respectively...
- Comparison of integrated and consultation-liaison models for providing mental health care in general practice in New South Wales, AustraliaK Harmon
Clinical Nurse Consultant, Centre for Mental Health Studies, Hunter Mental Health Service, Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
J Adv Nurs 32:1459-66. 2000..of integrated and consultation-liaison models for providing mental health care in general practice in New South Wales, Australia The characteristics of a new service providing integrated mental health care in general practice ..
- Anthelmintic resistance in sheep worms in New South Wales, AustraliaStephen C J Love
Vet Rec 150:87. 2002
- Using MLVA to type strains of Salmonella Typhimurium in New South WalesGwendolyn L Gilbert
Centre for Infectious Diseases and Microbiology, Institute of Clinical Pathology and Medical Research, Westmead Hospital, Westmead
N S W Public Health Bull 19:29-31. 2008..is intended as a short primer on MLVA typing, which has recently been introduced into routine use at the New South Wales Enteric Reference Laboratory at the Centre for Infectious Diseases and Microbiology, Institute of Clinical ..
- Children at play: the death and injury pattern in New South Wales, Australia, July 1990-June 1994L T Lam
Department of Surgical Research, Royal Alexandra Hospital for Children, Westmead, New South Wales, Australia
J Paediatr Child Health 35:572-7. 1999To describe and to understand the pattern of play-related deaths and injury (excluding organized sports) among children in New South Wales (NSW), Australia.
- Pathology reporting of resected colorectal cancers in New South Wales in 2000Pierre H Chapuis
Colorectal Surgical Unit, Concord Hospital, and Discipline of Surgery, The University of Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
ANZ J Surg 77:963-9. 2007..of this study was to determine the extent to which pathology reporting of colorectal cancers notified to the New South Wales Central Cancer Registry during 2000 conformed to guidelines promulgated by the National Health and Medical ..
- Prevalence of Huntington disease in New South Wales in 1996E A McCusker
Neurology Department, Westmead Hospital, Sydney, NSW
Med J Aust 173:187-90. 2000To estimate the prevalence of Huntington disease (HD) in New South Wales on Australian Census Day (6 August) 1996.
- Dietitians in New South Wales: workforce trends 1984-2000Roslyn Meyer
University of Wollongong, New South Wales
Aust Health Rev 25:122-30. 2002..Other trends were significant increases in the proportion of dietitians employed outside hospitals (to 38% in 2000) and in non-clinical work (50% in 2000), and declines in the number of technical support staff for dietitians...
- Archiving Datasets of the Brain &Aging Research ProgramPerminder S Sachdev; Fiscal Year: 2012..The Brain and Ageing Research Program ('BARP', University of New South Wales, Australia) has committed substantial resources over the last decade to establish cohorts and collect rich ..
- Cambodia Integrated HIV and Drug Prevention Implementation ProgramKimberly Page; Fiscal Year: 2013..from University of California San Francisco, FHI 360 Cambodia, and from Australia, the University of New South Wales. Each of these groups has over a decade each of experience and expertise in HIV prevention research, program ..
- Brain Tissue Resource Centre for Alcohol ResearchJILLIAN JUNE KRIL; Fiscal Year: 2013..The New South Wales Tissue Resource Center (NSW TRC) at the University of Sydney is an established brain bank that focuses on ..
- BRAIN TISSUE RESOURCE CENTER FOR ALCOHOL RESEARCHJILLIAN JUNE KRIL; Fiscal Year: 2011..The New South Wales Tissue Resource Center (TRC) at the University of Sydney has established itself as a useful resource for the ..
- Multilingual Health Education Resource ProjectMARY GILLISPIE; Fiscal Year: 2002..high quality multilingual written resources that have already been developed and put on-line by the NSW (New South Wales) Multicultural Health Communication Service (MHCS) of Australia...
- Dynamic Signal Processing Analyses of Neural PlasticityEmery Brown; Fiscal Year: 2006..Wendy Suzuki of New York University) and a control engineer (Dr. Victor Solo of the University of New South Wales) to develop a systems engineering approach to understanding neural plasticity...
- IMMUNOLOGY AND MOLECULAR VIROLOGY OF ACUTE HIV INFECTIONLawrence Corey; Fiscal Year: 2003..clinical sites at the University of Washing, University of Minnesota, University of Geneva, University of New South Wales, and 7 of the 8 HIVNET Vaccine Preparedness sites...
- Opioid Dependence: Candidate Genes and G x E EffectsElliot Nelson; Fiscal Year: 2007..N=1500) will be ascertained from the large methadone (and buprenorphine) maintenance treatment population of New South Wales, Australia...
- Brain Tissue Resource Centre for Alcohol ResearchClive Harper; Fiscal Year: 2007..The aim of this important and innovative facility, the New South Wales Tissue Resource Center (TRC), is to provide fresh-frozen (-80C) and/or formalin fixed tissues to research ..
- PROTEASE INHIBITOR RELATED ATHEROSCLEROSIS IN HIVAndrew Carr; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Analysis of tobacco industry documents--Asia/AustraliaSimon Chapman; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..