australian capital territory
Summary: A territory of Australia consisting of Canberra, the national capital and surrounding land. It lies geographically within NEW SOUTH WALES and was established by law in 1988.
Publications198 found, 100 shown here
- Psychosocial correlates of problem gambling in Australian studentsPaul Delfabbro
School of Psychology, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 40:587-95. 2006..This study examined the relationship between problem gambling and psychological and social adjustment in Australian adolescents...
- Campylobacter outbreak due to chicken consumption at an Australian Capital Territory restaurantAndrew P Black
OzFoodNet Epidemiologist, Health Protection Service, ACT Health, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
Commun Dis Intell Q Rep 30:373-7. 2006..describes the investigation of an outbreak of campylobacteriosis following a restaurant meal in the Australian Capital Territory. The outbreak was identified by a general practitioner who notified the Health Protection Service, ACT ..
- A population-based study of the outcome after small bowel atresia/stenosis in New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory, Australia, 1992-2003Karen Walker
Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, Grace Centre for Newborn Care, The Children s Hospital at Westmead, The University of Sydney, Westmead, NSW 2145, Australia
J Pediatr Surg 43:484-8. 2008The purpose of the study was to describe the incidence, epidemiology, and survival of infants with small bowel atresia/stenosis in New South Wales (NSW) and the Australian Capital Territory (ACT), Australia.
- Short-term outcomes of infants of substance-using mothers admitted to neonatal intensive care units in New South Wales and the Australian Capital TerritoryMohamed E Abdel-Latif
Department of Newborn Care, Royal Hospital for Women, Randwick, Victoria, Australia
J Paediatr Child Health 43:127-33. 2007..Our study examines if outcome of infants of substance-using mothers (ISMs) in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) setting is similar to unexposed infants (controls)...
- Delayed diagnosis of HIV: missed opportunities and triggers for testing in the Australian Capital TerritoryElizabeth A McDonald
University of Sydney Medical Program, The Canberra Clinical School, The Canberra Hospital, PO Box 11, Woden, ACT 2606, Australia
Sex Health 3:291-5. 2006..To determine (i) the rate of delayed HIV diagnosis; (ii) the missed opportunities for HIV diagnosis; and (iii) to identify who initiates HIV testing and what triggers them to do so...
- Surgical management of invasive breast cancer: a 5-year prospective study of treatment in the Australian Capital Territory and South-Eastern New South WalesAnil Koshy
Department of Surgery, Calvary Hospital, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
ANZ J Surg 75:757-61. 2005..Breast cancer is a major health problem in Australia. The aim of the present report is to evaluate the surgical management of invasive breast cancers in our region...
- Hospital system costs of artificial infant feeding: estimates for the Australian Capital TerritoryJulie P Smith
National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health and Research School of Social Sciences, Australian National University, Australian Capital Territory
Aust N Z J Public Health 26:543-51. 2002..To estimate the attributable ACT hospital system costs of treating selected infant and childhood illnesses having known associations with early weaning from human milk...
- The parent-reported prevalence and management of peanut and nut allergy in school children in the Australian Capital TerritoryMarjan Kljakovic
Australian National University Medical School, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
J Paediatr Child Health 45:98-103. 2009..To describe parent-reported prevalence and management of peanut and nut allergy in school entrant children...
- Respiratory health in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children in the Australian Capital TerritoryN J Glasgow
Academic Unit of General Practice and Community Care, Canberra Clinical School of the University of Sydney, Canberra, Australia
J Paediatr Child Health 39:534-9. 2003To measure the prevalence of respiratory symptoms and atopic disease in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander (indigenous) and non-indigenous children in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT).
- A temporal decline in asthma but not eczema prevalence from 2000 to 2005 at school entry in the Australian Capital Territory with further consideration of country of birthAnne Louise Ponsonby
Murdoch Childrens Research Institute, Royal Children s Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Int J Epidemiol 37:559-69. 2008..Here, we examined trends in asthma prevalence using serial annual data and further examine the importance of country of birth...
- Implementing clinical practice guidelines: a community-based audit of breast cancer treatment. Australian Capital Territory and South Eastern New South Wales Breast Cancer Treatment GroupP S Craft
Medical Oncology Unit, Canberra Hospital, ACT
Med J Aust 172:213-6. 2000..To improve breast cancer management by facilitating implementation of treatment guidelines...
- Colonoscopy screening for colorectal cancer: the outcomes of two recruitment methodsMike Corbett
Gastroenterology Unit, The Canberra Hospital, Woden, ACT, Australia
Med J Aust 181:423-7. 2004..To determine the response to colorectal cancer (CRC) screening by colonoscopy, through direct invitation or through invitation by general practitioners...
- The impact of illicit drug supply reduction on health and social outcomes: the heroin shortage in the Australian Capital TerritoryMichael Smithson
School of Psychology, The Australian National University, Canberra, Australia
Addiction 99:340-8. 2004..The guiding hypothesis is that reduced supply will result in positive health and social outcomes...
- A review of intensity modulated radiation therapy: incorporating a report on the seventh education workshop of the ACPSEM--ACT/NSW branch. Australasian College of Physical Scientists and Engineers in MedicineM Williams
The University of New South Wales, Kensington
Australas Phys Eng Sci Med 25:91-101. 2002....
- Does rural or urban residence make a difference to neonatal outcome in premature birth? A regional study in AustraliaM E Abdel-Latif
Department of Newborn Care, Royal Hospital for Women, Barker Street, Locked Bag 2000, Randwick, 2031 NSW, Australia
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 91:F251-6. 2006..Patients living in rural areas may be at a disadvantage in accessing tertiary health care...
- A population-based study of congenital diaphragmatic hernia outcome in New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory, Australia, 1992-2001John Levison
Department of Neonatology, The Children s Hospital at Westmead, Sydney, NSW 2145, Australia
J Pediatr Surg 41:1049-53. 2006The aim of the study was to describe the incidence and survival of infants born with congenital diaphragmatic hernia (CDH) in the state of New South Wales (NSW) and the Australian Capital Territory (ACT), Australia.
- Birth order, atopy, and risk of non-Hodgkin lymphomaAndrew Edwin Grulich
National Centre in HIV Epidemiology and Clinical Research, University of NSW, Sydney, Australia
J Natl Cancer Inst 97:587-94. 2005..Because late birth order and childhood crowding are inversely associated with atopy, we also investigated their associations with NHL risk...
- Phenotypic and genotypic characterization of encapsulated Escherichia coli isolated from blooms in two Australian lakesMichelle L Power
Department of Biological Sciences, Macquarie University, Sydney, NSW 2109, Australia
Environ Microbiol 7:631-40. 2005..coli strains are able to persist in these water reservoirs. This study provides further evidence of circumstances where caution is required in using E. coli as an indicator organism for water quality...
- Pet ownership and risk factors for cardiovascular disease: another lookRuth A Parslow
Centre for Mental Health Research, Australian National University, Canberra, ACT 0200, Australia
Med J Aust 179:466-8. 2003..To test the claim that pet ownership reduces cardiovascular risk...
- Human papillomavirus prevalence in Canberra high school students: significance for vaccination strategies and adolescent healthS Rachel Skinner
Sex Health 3:299-300. 2006
- The NSW & ACT Hereditary Cancer RegistersLibby Weir
Hereditary Cancer Registers, The Cancer Council New South Wales
Aust Fam Physician 34:53-8. 2005..The NSW & ACT Hereditary Cancer Registers (HCR) offer registration to people from families at risk for hereditary cancer...
- Neonatal resuscitation educational experience of staff in New South Wales and Australian Capital Territory hospitalsKirsty Foster
RPA Newborn Care, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney, Australia
J Paediatr Child Health 42:16-9. 2006..A survey was carried out in New South Wales (NSW) and the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) to ascertain the type, frequency and availability of training in neonatal resuscitation to staff ..
- Occupational exposure to ionizing and non-ionizing radiation and risk of non-Hodgkin lymphomaKen K Karipidis
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Monash University, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Int Arch Occup Environ Health 80:663-70. 2007....
- Recruitment and standardization of a group of Australian dentists for a multipractice study on dental caries preventionB Curtis
Community Oral Health and Epidemiology, Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Sydney
Aust Dent J 52:106-11. 2007..We recruited private dental practitioners from a variety of locations in New South Wales (NSW) and the Australian Capital Territory (ACT)...
- Evaluation of newborn screening for medium chain acyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency in 275 000 babiesK Carpenter
Biochemical Genetics Service, The Children s Hospital at Westmead, Sydney, Australia
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 85:F105-9. 2001..To evaluate newborn screening by tandem mass spectrometry for detection of medium chain acyl-CoA dehydrogenase (MCAD) deficiency, a fatty acid oxidation disorder with significant mortality in undiagnosed patients...
- Delivery in the 'grey zone': collaborative approach to extremely preterm birthJohn Keogh
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Hornsby Hospital, Hornsby, NSW, Australia
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 47:273-8. 2007During the recent New South Wales and Australian Capital Territory consensus workshop on Perinatal Care at the limits of viability, recommendations were made in the areas of education, counselling and management...
- Antipsychotic medication dispensing and associated odds ratios of death in elderly veterans and war widows, 2001Jean Hollis
School of Psychology, Psychology Clinic, University of Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 40:981-6. 2006..To explore the odds ratios (ORs) of death associated with antipsychotic (AP) medications dispensed to elderly subjects...
- Geographically based investigation of the influence of very-preterm births on routine mortality statistics from the UK and AustraliaD Field
Neonatal Unit, Leicester Royal Infirmary, Infirmary Square, Leicester LE1 5WW, UK
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 93:F212-6. 2008..Comparisons of national perinatal and neonatal mortality often neglect the underlying causes...
- Collaborative decision-making for extreme premature deliveryAlison L Kent
Department of Neonatology, The Canberra Hospital, Woden, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
J Paediatr Child Health 43:489-91. 2007..The process must be transparent, open and honest, using the most relevant up to date outcome data in a collaborative framework...
- Specific infections, infection-related behavior, and risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma in adultsClaire M Vajdic
National Centre in HIV Epidemiology and Clinical Research, University of New South Wales, Level 2 376 Victoria Street, Darlinghurst, New South Wales 2010, Australia
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 15:1102-8. 2006..factors for non-Hodgkin lymphoma in a population-based case-control study in New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory, Australia. Incident cases (n = 694) had no history of HIV infection or transplantation...
- A qualitative study of GPs' views on modern geneticsLaurence Bathurst
School of Health Information Management, University of Sydney, New South Wales
Aust Fam Physician 35:462-4. 2006..We wondered how developments in genetics have impacted on general practice and the position general practitioners have taken in practising the new genetics...
- Dietary protein intakes in patients with hepatic encephalopathy and cirrhosis: current practice in NSW and ACTJoanne K Heyman
A W Morrow Gastroenterology and Liver Centre, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney, NSW, Australia joanne heymanATcs nsw gov au
Med J Aust 185:542-3. 2006To ascertain whether current practice in teaching hospitals in New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory delivers adequate dietary protein in the management of malnutrition in adults with cirrhosis, in accordance with European ..
- Outcomes following surgery for congenital heart disease in low-birthweight infantsSimon Dimmick
The Children s Hospital at Westmead, New South Wales, Australia
J Paediatr Child Health 43:370-5. 2007..To describe cardiac surgery, survival and outcomes for low-birthweight (< or = 2500 g) infants undergoing surgery for congenital heart disease...
- Increase in patient mortality at 10 days associated with emergency department overcrowdingDrew B Richardson
Emergency Department, Australian National University Medical School, Canberra Hospital Yamba Drive, Garran, ACT 2605, Australia
Med J Aust 184:213-6. 2006..To quantify any relationship between emergency department (ED) overcrowding and 10-day patient mortality...
- Severe retinopathy of prematurity in infants <30 weeks' gestation in New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory from 1992 to 2002D A Todd
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, The Canberra Hospital, PO Box 11, Woden, ACT Australia
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 92:F251-4. 2007..Retinopathy of prematurity (ROP) significantly increased in New South Wales (NSW) from 1986 to 1994, but more recent data suggest that there has now been a decrease...
- Hospital admissions in the National Health Survey and hospital separations in the National Hospital Morbidity Dataset: what is the difference?Geetha Ranmuthugala
National Centre for Social and Economic Modelling, University of Canberra, ACT, Australia
Aust N Z J Public Health 32:276-81. 2008..To compare the National Health Survey (NHS) derived estimates of hospital admissions with the number of hospital separations registered in the National Hospital Morbidity Dataset (NHMD)...
- Trends in medication use for asthma in school-entry children in the Australian Capital Territory, 2000-2005Christine B Phillips
Academic Unit of General Practice and Community Health, Australian National University, Canberra, ACT, Australia
Med J Aust 187:10-3. 2007..To analyse trends in asthma medications used by school-entry children whose parents report they have asthma...
- Use of medical services after participation in a community-based epidemiological health surveyRuth A Parslow
Centre for Mental Health Research, Australian National University, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 39:311-7. 2004..This study investigated effects of such participation on numbers of health services used by a representative sample of 7485 Australians...
- Correlates of self-induced vomiting and laxative misuse in a community sample of womenJonathan M Mond
Neuropsychiatric Research Institute, 120 8th St South, Fargo, North Dakota 58103, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 194:40-6. 2006..The combination of self-induced vomiting and laxative misuse may indicate a particularly severe psychiatric disturbance...
- Who cares for older people with mental illness? A survey of residential aged care facilities in the Australian Capital Territory: implications for mental health nursingTony S Jones
Australian National University, Medical School, Canberra, and Older Persons Mental Health Service, Calvary Hospital, Bruce, ACT, Australia
Int J Ment Health Nurs 16:327-37. 2007....
- We're all in it together: supporting young carers and their families in AustraliaTim Moore
Institute of Child Protection Studies, Australian Catholic University, Watson, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Health Soc Care Community 15:561-8. 2007..The importance of recognising the specific needs of each member within the family unit was particularly highlighted as was the need for responsive and co-ordinated service supports...
- Improving the general health of persons with psychosisLeslie Drew
Mental Health ACT, Department of Psychological Medicine, Australian National University, ACT, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 15:320-3. 2007..A project designed to improve the quality of health care received by persons with psychosis is described...
- The Victorian emergency department collaborationJenny Bartlett
Quality and Care Continuity Branch, Department of Human Services, 555 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Int J Qual Health Care 14:463-70. 2002..of the project was to bring together 17 major emergency departments across Victoria, Australia, and the Australian Capital Territory to work together over an 8-month period to reduce both clinical and operational waits and delays, and ..
- Mortality and mental illnessLeslie R H Drew
City Mental Health Service, Canberra, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 39:194-7. 2005..5 times that of the general population, seemingly, has great significance for public policy concerning the mentally ill. 'Mortality' could be a useful outcome measure for mental health services...
- The access-block effect: relationship between delay to reaching an inpatient bed and inpatient length of stayDrew B Richardson
Emergency Department, Canberra Hospital, Yamba Drive, Garran, ACT 2605, Australia
Med J Aust 177:492-5. 2002..To investigate the relationship between access block in the emergency department (ED) (defined as total time from arrival to transfer from the ED over eight hours) and inpatient length of stay (LOS)...
- A trial of nurse practitioner scope of practiceAnne Gardner
Cabrini Deakin Centre for Nursing Research, Cabrini Health, Melbourne, Australia
J Adv Nurs 49:135-45. 2005....
- Invasive pneumococcal disease in the Australian Capital Territory and Queanbeyan region: do high infant rates reflect more disease or better detection?D N Andresen
Department of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Canberra Hospital, Garran, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
J Paediatr Child Health 40:184-8. 2004To describe the epidemiology of invasive pneumococcal disease in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) and Queanbeyan region prior to the introduction of conjugate pneumococcal vaccines.
- Prevalence of antimicrobial resistances in common pathogenic Enterobacteriaceae in Australia, 2004: report from the Australian Group on Antimicrobial ResistanceJulie Pearson
Department of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, PathWest Laboratory Medicine, Royal Perth Hospital, Western Australia
Commun Dis Intell 31:106-12. 2007..New South Wales/Australian Capital Territory (combined) tended to have higher percentages of resistance than the other states, which were otherwise ..
- An audit of contact tracing for cases of chlamydia in the Australian Capital TerritoryDanelle O England
Canberra Clinical School, University of Sydney, PO Box 11, Woden, ACT 2606, Australia
Sex Health 2:255-8. 2005..chlamydia and to evaluate and compare the effectiveness of contact tracing undertaken at the Communicable Diseases Control Section (CDCS) of Australian Capital Territory (ACT) Health and the Canberra Sexual Health Centre (the clinic).
- Is the link between nutrients and foods understood? The case of fibre and folateK M Cashel
Gadi Research Centre, University of Canberra, Australia
Public Health Nutr 4:913-8. 2001..To assess and contrast awareness of the link between dietary fibre and folate and their major food sources (fruit, vegetables, bread and cereals)...
- Safety in numbers in Australia: more walkers and bicyclists, safer walking and bicyclingDorothy L Robinson
University of New England, Armidale, New South Wales
Health Promot J Austr 16:47-51. 2005..Do Australian data follow the same exponential 'growth rule' where (Injuries)/(Amount of cycling) is proportional to ((Amount of cycling)-0.6)?..
- Impact of Federal drug law enforcement on the supply of heroin in AustraliaMichael Smithson
School of Psychology, The Australian National University, Canberra, ACT, Australia
Addiction 100:1110-20. 2005..Specifically, this paper addresses the question of whether heroin purity levels in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) could be predicted by heroin seizures at the national level by the Australian Federal Police (AFP)..
- Congenital heart defects in Central AustraliaSrinivas Bolisetty
Paediatric Department, Alice Springs Hospital, NT
Med J Aust 180:614-7. 2004..To determine the incidence of congenital heart defects (CHD) in Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal infants in Central Australia and to compare this with the incidence elsewhere in Australia...
- Spironucleosis in Australian king parrots (Alisterus scapularis)A W Philbey
New South Wales Agriculture, Regional Veterinary Laboratory, Wagga Wagga, New South Wales
Aust Vet J 80:154-60. 2002..To describe a syndrome of wasting, diarrhoea and mortality in Australian king parrots (Alisterus scapularis)...
- Characteristics of childhood peanut allergy in the Australian Capital Territory, 1995 to 2007Raymond James Mullins
John James Medical Centre, Deakin, Australia
J Allergy Clin Immunol 123:689-93. 2009..It is unknown whether clinical features of peanut allergy have changed in the past decade alongside possible increasing prevalence...
- The legislation of active voluntary euthanasia in Australia: will the slippery slope prove fatal?I H Kerridge
University of Newcastle, John Hunter Hospital, NSW, Australia
J Med Ethics 22:273-8. 1996..act has prompted Australia-wide community reaction, particularly in South Australia, Tasmania and the Australian Capital Territory where proposals to legalise euthanasia have already been defeated on the floor of parliament...
- The mobility of optometrists practising in Australia in 2005: do optometry graduates move to states without schools of optometry?Patricia M Kiely
Optometrists Association Australia, Melbourne, Australia
Clin Exp Optom 91:96-102. 2008....
- Proactive asthma care in childhood: general practice based randomised controlled trialNicholas J Glasgow
Academic Unit of General Practice and Community Care, Canberra Clinical School of the University of Sydney, PO Box 254, Canberra, ACT 2614, Australia
BMJ 327:659. 2003..To assess the feasibility and effectiveness of a general practice based, proactive system of asthma care in children...
- Acceptance of neonatal genetic screening for hereditary hemochromatosis by informed parentsM Bassett
Gastroenterology Unit, The Canberra Hospital, Canberra Clinical School, University of Sydney, Australia
Genet Test 5:317-20. 2001..of 135 consecutive, pregnant women and their partners attending a hospital antenatal clinic in the Australian Capital Territory were given detailed written and verbal information about potential risks and benefits of neonatal ..
- Influenza vaccination of staff in aged care facilities in the ACT: how can we improve the uptake of influenza vaccine?Linda Halliday
National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health, Australian National University, Australian Capital Territory, 0200
Aust N Z J Public Health 27:70-5. 2003To examine the self-reported uptake of influenza vaccine by staff in residential aged care facilities in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT), and the factors influencing vaccine uptake by staff.
- Perinatal characteristics and outcome of preterm singleton, twin and triplet infants in NSW and the ACT, Australia (1994-2005)P Garg
Department of Newborn Care, Royal Hospital for Women, Locked Bag 2000, Randwick, NSW 2031, Australia
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 95:F20-4. 2010..neonatal morbidity and mortality of preterm singletons, twins and triplets born at 22-31 weeks' gestation and admitted to neonatal intensive care units (NICU) in New South Wales and Australian Capital Territory between 1994 and 2005.
- Prescribed burning in a Eucalyptus woodland suppresses fruiting of hypogeous fungi, an important food source for mammalsJames M Trappe
Department of Forest Science, Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon 97331 5752, USA
Mycol Res 110:1333-9. 2006..increases fruiting of certain hypogeous fungi based on observations in Tasmania was tested in the Australian Capital Territory to determine if it applied in a quite different habitat...
- Short-term outcomes of mothers and newborn infants with comorbid psychiatric disorders and drug dependencyJu Lee Oei
Department of Newborn Care, Royal Hospital for Women, NSW, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 43:323-31. 2009..The aim of the present study was to determine the characteristics and short-term outcomes of mother-infant pairs with comorbid drug dependency and psychiatric disorders...
- Atopy, exposure to pesticides and risk of non-Hodgkin lymphomaClaire M Vajdic
National Centre in HIV Epidemiology and Clinical Research, University of New South Wales, 2376 Victoria Street, Darlinghurst, NSW 2010, Australia
Int J Cancer 120:2271-4. 2007..Incident cases (n = 694) were diagnosed in New South Wales or the Australian Capital Territory between 2000 and 2001 and controls (n = 694) were randomly selected from electoral rolls and frequency-..
- Re Herrington: aboriginality and the quality of human rights jurisprudence in end-of-life decisions by the Australian judiciaryThomas Faunce
ANU College of Law and Medical School, The Australian National University
J Law Med 15:201-9. 2007..for judicial reference to international human rights norms in jurisdictions such as Victoria and the Australian Capital Territory, and their increasing importance in other developed nations, the authors highlight the need for the ..
- The evaluation of a trial of syringe vending machines in Canberra, AustraliaDavid McDonald
Social Research and Evaluation Pty Ltd, Canberra, ACT, Australia
Int J Drug Policy 20:336-9. 2009Syringe vending machines (SVMs) have been trialled in Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia, as an intervention aiming to increase the availability of sterile injecting equipment for use by IDUs...
- Chronic heart failure beyond city limitsRobyn A Clark
The University of South Australia, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Rural Remote Health 5:443. 2005..The aim of this study is to determine if the rates of CHF differ between urban and rural Australia...
- The likelihood of pregnancy with IVF and GIFT in Australia and New ZealandG T Kovacs
Monash IVF, Box Hill Hospital, Vic
Med J Aust 158:805-7. 1993..To determine the likelihood of pregnancy for couples entering the New Reproductive Technology (NRT) programs in Australia and New Zealand, by combining the data from nearly all the practising units...
- Achieving high immunisation rates amongst children in the Australian Capital Territory: a collaborative effortAnthony M Moore
Department of Health and Ageing, Furzer Street, Woden, ACT 2606, Australia
Aust Health Rev 35:104-10. 2011..In September 2008 the ACT achieved the highest childhood coverage rates in Australia with rates of 93.5% (12-15-month age cohort), 94.9% (24-27-month age cohort) and 90.58% (60-63-month age cohort)...
- Owners' insights into private practice dentistry in New South Wales and the Australian Capital TerritoryJ E Fischer
Graduate College of Management, Southern Cross University, Coolangatta, Queensland
Aust Dent J 55:423-9. 2010..The aim of this study was to investigate aspects of practice ownership including debt on graduation, the time period between graduation and acquiring practice ownership and small business skills...
- The effect of a smoke-free law on restaurant business in South AustraliaMelanie Wakefield
Centre for Behavioural Research in Cancer, Cancer Control Research Institute, The Cancer Council Victoria, Carlton
Aust N Z J Public Health 26:375-82. 2002..This study aimed to determine whether the law had a detrimental impact on restaurant business in SA...
- Screening for Chlamydia trachomatis at the time of routine Pap smear in general practice: a cluster randomised controlled trialFrancis J Bowden
Academic Unit of Internal Medicine, Australian National University, Canberra, ACT, Australia
Med J Aust 188:76-80. 2008..To determine whether asking general practitioners to offer chlamydia screening at the same time as Pap screening increases chlamydia screening rates...
- A five year follow-up study of the use of clozapine in community practiceLeslie R H Drew
Department of Psychological Medicine, Canberra Clinical School, University of Sydney, City Mental Health Service, Canberra City, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 36:780-6. 2002..Data is reported on the use of clozapine in an entire cohort of (42) patients in a community, the Australian Capital Territory. It extends a 3-year study of clinical and financial outcomes to 5 years.
- Adolescents' responses to peers with depression or conduct disorderClaire M Kelly
ORYGEN Research Centre, Victoria, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 40:63-6. 2006..To determine how young people are likely to respond to a peer with mental illness, or who has severe behavioural problems...
- The menstrual disorder of teenagers (MDOT) study: determining typical menstrual patterns and menstrual disturbance in a large population-based study of Australian teenagersM A Parker
Australian National University Medical School, Garran, Canberra, Australia
BJOG 117:185-92. 2010....
- Disturbingly low levels of contraception among women living with hepatitis CCathy Banwell
National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health, Australian National University, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
Aust N Z J Public Health 27:620-6. 2003..To describe the prevalence of contraception among a sample of women with hepatitis C (HCV), compare it with contraceptive use among Australian women generally, and look for associations between contraception and sample characteristics...
- Prevalence of MRSA strains among Staphylococcus aureus isolated from outpatients, 2006Geoffrey W Coombs
Department of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, PathWest Laboratory Medicine WA, Royal Perth Hospital, Perth, Western Australia
Commun Dis Intell Q Rep 33:10-20. 2009..However, healthcare associated MRSA were still predominant in New South Wales/Australian Capital Territory and Victoria/Tasmania. In the 2006 survey CA-MRSA accounted for 8.8% of community-onset S...
- Internal or infernal devices: experiences of contraception among Australian women living with hepatitis CAnna Olsen
National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health NCEPH, Australian National University, Canberra, Australia
Health Care Women Int 30:456-74. 2009..109 women with hepatitis C from two cities in Australia, Melbourne (Victoria) and Canberra (the Australian Capital Territory), were interviewed about their alcohol and other drug use, their contraceptive history, and their ..
- Patients' decisions to die: the emerging Australian jurisprudenceIan Freckelton
Crockett Chambers, Melbourne, Australia
J Law Med 18:427-38. 2011..Rossiter (2009) 40 WAR 84; Higgins CJ in Australian Capital Territory v. JT (2009) 232 FLR 322; and Kourakis J in H Ltd v...
- Withdrawing treatment at the direct or indirect request of patients or in their best interests: HNEAHS v A; Brightwater CG v Rossiter; and Australian Capital Territory v JTThomas Faunce
ANU College of Law and Medical School, The Australian National University
J Law Med 17:349-54. 2009..Area Health Service v A  NSWSC 761; Brightwater Care Group (Inc) v Rossiter  WASC 229; and Australian Capital Territory v JT  ACTSC 105 Australian courts have recently considered the circumstances in which technically ..
- Concurrent invaders--four exotic species of Monogenea now established on exotic freshwater fishes in AustraliaA D Dove
Department of Parasitology, The University of Queensland, St Lucia, Australia
Int J Parasitol 28:1755-64. 1998..and Xiphophorus helleri in Queensland; Gyrodactylus macracanthus from Misgurnus anguillicaudatus in the Australian Capital Territory; Dactylogyrus extensus from Cyprinus carpio in the Australian Capital Territory; and Dactylogyrus ..
- A review of Australian health privacy regulation regarding the use and disclosure of identified data to conduct data linkageRay Lovett
Winnunga Nimmityjah Aboriginal Health Service, Canberra, ACT, Australia
Aust N Z J Public Health 32:282-5. 2008..To review Australian legislation about privacy, focusing on provisions within the regulations to conduct health research using identified data and lobby for regulatory change in the ACT...
- Sexually transmitted infections, blood-borne viruses and risk behaviour in an Australian senior high school population--the SHLiRP studyFrancis J Bowden
Canberra Sexual Health Centre, The Canberra Hospital, PO Box 11, Woden, ACT 2605, Australia
Sex Health 2:229-36. 2005..To determine the feasibility and acceptability of screening for sexually transmitted infections and blood-borne viruses and to study the profile of sexual activity and other risk behaviours in a senior high school population...
- State-level differences in the oral health of Australian preschool and early primary school-age childrenN Lucas
Murdoch Childrens Research Institute, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Aust Dent J 56:56-62. 2011..This study compares oral health outcomes and behaviours for young Australian children by residential state or territory to determine whether state differences arise from individual exposures to risk factors...
- Hypoallergenic formula prescribing practices in AustraliaAndrew Kemp
Department of Allergy, Immunology and Infectious Diseases, The Children s Hospital, Westmead, Australia
J Paediatr Child Health 42:191-5. 2006..To gain insight into the use of hypoallergenic formula in Australia by analysis of prescribing statistics...
- A picture speaks a thousand words: evaluation of a pictorial post-vaccination care resource in AustraliaHammad Ali
School of Public Health and Community Medicine, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW 2052, Australia
Aust J Prim Health 16:246-51. 2010..interviews were conducted with 12 general practitioners and 29 practice nurses in New South Wales and Australian Capital Territory, Australia. Structured interview guides were used and data was analysed thematically...
- Abortion: time to clarify Australia's confusing lawsLachlan J De Crespigny
Murdoch Children s Research Institute, Parkville, Vic, Australia
Med J Aust 181:201-3. 2004..All jurisdictions should follow the Australian Capital Territory's lead in allowing women to access abortion without fear of criminal prosecution...
- The epidemiology of pertussis in the Australian Capital Territory, 1999 to 2005--epidemics of testing, disease or false positives?Clare E Wylks
Australian Capital Territory Health Protection Service
Commun Dis Intell Q Rep 31:383-91. 2007..This study aimed to describe the epidemiology of pertussis in the Australian Capital Territory from 1999 to 2005, determine whether the apparent changes could be accounted for by greater recognition ..
- Characteristics of longer consultations in Australian general practiceC M Martin
National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health, Australian National University, Canberra, ACT
Med J Aust 167:76-9. 1997..To assess the association between general practitioner (GP) billing for "longer" consultations, patient factors linked with health care need, and other consultation characteristics...
- A randomised control trial for the effectiveness of group Interpersonal Psychotherapy for postnatal depressionRhiannon Mulcahy
Perinatal Mental Health, Mental Health ACT, GPO Box 825, Canberra, ACT, Australia
Arch Womens Ment Health 13:125-39. 2010..postnatal depression with 'treatment as usual' (TAU), conducted in a routine community setting in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT). Eligible women were recruited and randomly assigned to either IPT-G or TAU conditions...
- Outbreak of Salmonella Typhimurium 44 related to egg consumptionAmalie Dyda
National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health, Australian National University, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
Commun Dis Intell Q Rep 33:414-8. 2009..at the restaurant and contributed to the voluntary recall of the contaminated batch of eggs from the Australian Capital Territory. The results of the study also build upon other evidence that egg-related salmonellosis is now common ..
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health assessments - barriers to improving uptakeHelen Kehoe
Office for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health, Commonwealth Department of Health and Ageing, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
Aust Fam Physician 37:1033-8. 2008This study investigated the reasons for low uptake of Medicare Benefits Schedule rebated health assessments for Aboriginal people and Torres Strait Islanders in mainstream general practice in the Australian Capital Territory region.
- Health evaluation of free-ranging eastern bettongs (Bettongia gaimardi) during translocation for reintroduction in AustraliaTimothy Portas
1 Veterinary and Research Centre, Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve, RMB 141, Via Tharwa, Australian Capital Territory 2620, Australia
J Wildl Dis 50:210-23. 2014..adult eastern bettongs (Bettongia gaimardi) were captured in Tasmania and translocated to the Australian Capital Territory between July 2011 and September 2012 for reintroduction into fenced, predator-proof reserves...
- The determinants of nurses' therapeutic attitude to patients who use illicit drugs and implications for workforce developmentRosemary Ford
School of Nursing, Australian Catholic University, Fitzroy, Australia
J Clin Nurs 17:2452-62. 2008..To examine the determinants of generalist nurses' therapeutic attitude to patients who use illicit drugs, and to model workforce development initiatives...
- Australian Gonococcal Surveillance Programme annual report, 2012Monica M Lahra
Neisseria Reference Laboratory and World Health Organisation Collaborating Centre for STD, Microbiology Department, SEALS, The Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick, New South Wales
Commun Dis Intell Q Rep 37:E233-9. 2013..The highest reported azithromycin MIC value was 16 mg/L and azithromycin resistant gonococci were not detected in the Australian Capital Territory or Tasmania. Nationally, all isolates remained susceptible to spectinomycin.
- Comparing the health burden of eating-disordered behavior and overweight in womenJonathan M Mond
School of Biomedical and Health Sciences, University of Western Sydney, Campbelltown, Australia
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 18:1081-9. 2009..behavior with that of overweight in a community-based sample of women aged 18-42 years residing in the Australian Capital Territory region of Australia...
- A robust clinical review process: the catalyst for clinical governance in an Australian tertiary hospitalImogen A Mitchell
Canberra Hospital, Canberra, ACT, Australia
Med J Aust 189:451-5. 2008..To determine if a robust clinical review process can influence an organisation's response to adverse patient outcomes...
- Trends in hip fracture epidemiology in Australia: possible impact of bisphosphonates and hormone replacement therapyA A Fisher
Department of Geriatric Medicine, The Canberra Hospital, ACT, Australia
Bone 45:246-53. 2009..study were to analyse trends in hip fracture (HF) epidemiology over a 13-year period (1994-2007) in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT), to assess the potential impact of concurrent changes in hormone replacement therapy (HRT) and ..
- Stakeholder perceptions of a nurse led walk-in centreRhian M Parker
Australian Primary Health Care Research Institute, Australian National University, Level 1 Ian Potter House, Cnr Marcus Clarke and Gordon Sts, Acton, ACT, 0200, Australia
BMC Health Serv Res 12:382. 2012..In common with other areas of rural and regional Australia, the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) is currently experiencing a general practitioner (GP) workforce shortage which impacts ..
- Actuarial day-by-day survival rates of preterm infants admitted to neonatal intensive care in New South Wales and the Australian Capital TerritoryMohamed E Abdel-Latif
Department of Neonatology, The Australian National University Medical School, PO Box 11, Woden, ACT 2606, Australia
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 98:F212-7. 2013..To characterise the actuarial day-by-day survival of premature infants in a geographically defined population...
- Fatal paramethoxy-amphetamine (PMA) poisoning in the Australian Capital TerritoryPaul G Lamberth
Med J Aust 188:426. 2008