- Epidemiology of hepatitis C virus infection in Pakistan
Nadeem Sajjad Raja
Department of Medical Microbiology, Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Essex, United Kingdom
J Microbiol Immunol Infect 41:4-8. 2008
..of the disease have been studied worldwide, but little is known about the epidemiology of HCV infection in Pakistan. This paper reviews the available evidence on the epidemiology of HCV infection in Pakistan obtained via MEDLINE ..
- Cognitive behaviour therapy-based intervention by community health workers for mothers with depression and their infants in rural Pakistan: a cluster-randomised controlled trial
School of Population, Community, and Behavioural Sciences, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, UK
Lancet 372:902-9. 2008
..We integrated a cognitive behaviour therapy-based intervention into the routine work of community-based primary health workers in rural Pakistan and assessed the effect of this intervention on maternal depression and infant outcomes.
- Genetic diversity among Plasmodium falciparum field isolates in Pakistan measured with PCR genotyping of the merozoite surface protein 1 and 2
Najia K Ghanchi
Department of Pathology and Microbiology, Aga Khan University, Stadium Road, PO Box 3500, Karachi 74800, Pakistan
Malar J 9:1. 2010
..However, limited data are available from Pakistan. This study aimed to establish molecular characterization of P...
- Frequency distribution of hepatitis C virus genotypes in different geographical regions of Pakistan and their possible routes of transmission
Division of Molecular Virology and Molecular Diagnostics, National Centre of Excellence in Molecular Biology, University of the Punjab, Lahore 53700, Pakistan
BMC Infect Dis 8:69. 2008
Information regarding hepatitis C virus genotypes and subtypes circulating in Pakistan and various risk factors for their transmission are not known well...
- Identities, frequencies and origins of TMC1 mutations causing DFNB7/B11 deafness in Pakistan
S I Kitajiri
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders, National Institutes of Health, Rockville, MD 20850 3320, USA
Clin Genet 72:546-50. 2007
..R34X and other mutations of TMC1 are prevalent contributors to the genetic load of deafness across a variety of populations and continents...
- Prevalence of metabolic syndrome in Pakistan
Baqai Medical University, Baqai Institute of Diabetology and Endocrinology, Karachi, Pakistan
Metab Syndr Relat Disord 6:171-5. 2008
..With the high prevalence of all of these metabolic risk factors, the prevalence of metabolic syndrome in Pakistan according to different definitions is reported to be from 18% to 46%, comparable to the data from other South ..
- Health seeking behaviour and health service utilization in Pakistan: challenging the policy makers
Babar T Shaikh
Department of Community Health Sciences, Aga Khan University Karachi, Pakistan
J Public Health (Oxf) 27:49-54. 2005
..However, very few focused studies have been seen in Pakistan in this regard...
- Hepatitis C virus genotype 3a infection and hepatocellular carcinoma: Pakistan experience
Division of Molecular Virology and Molecular Diagnostics, National Centre of Excellence in Molecular Biology, University of the Punjab Lahore, 87 West Canal Bank Road Thokar Niaz Baig, Lahore 53700, Pakistan
World J Gastroenterol 15:5080-5. 2009
To assess the association between chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection and hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) in Pakistan, and the genotype distribution among these HCC patients.
- An account of the botanical anthelmintics used in traditional veterinary practices in Sahiwal district of Punjab, Pakistan
Department of Veterinary Parasitology, University of Agriculture, Faisalabad 38040, Pakistan
J Ethnopharmacol 119:185-90. 2008
The present study was aimed at documentation of botanical anthelmintics used in the traditional veterinary practices in Sahiwal district of Punjab, Pakistan.
- Sustainable harvest of medicinal plants at Bulashbar Nullah, Astore (Northern Pakistan)
Zabta Khan Shinwari
Ethnobotany Project, WWF P World Wide Fund for Nature Pakistan, 34 D II, Sahibzada Abdul Qayum Road, University Town, Peshawar, Pakistan
J Ethnopharmacol 84:289-98. 2003
..Two species, Bunium persicum and Ephedra gerardiana, are recommended for in vitro cultivation to obtain quick benefits. While Hippophae rhamnoides can be sustainably used for socio-economic uplift of the local communities...
- Diclofenac residues as the cause of vulture population decline in Pakistan
J Lindsay Oaks
Department of Veterinary Microbiology and Pathology, Washington State University, Pullman, Washington 99164 7040, USA
Nature 427:630-3. 2004
..In 2000, the Peregrine Fund initiated its Asian Vulture Crisis Project with the Ornithological Society of Pakistan, establishing study sites at 16 OWBV colonies in the Kasur, Khanewal and Muzaffargarh-Layyah Districts of ..
- The burden of road traffic injuries in developing countries: the 1st national injury survey of Pakistan
Health Services Academy, Islamabad, Pakistan
Public Health 118:211-7. 2004
To assess the burden of road traffic injuries in Pakistan-a developing country in South Asia.
- Neonatal mortality, risk factors and causes: a prospective population-based cohort study in urban Pakistan
Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
Bull World Health Organ 87:130-8. 2009
..To evaluate the prevalence, sex distribution and causes of neonatal mortality, as well as its risk factors, in an urban Pakistani population with access to obstetric and neonatal care...
- Background demographics and risk behaviors of injecting drug users in Karachi, Pakistan
Community Health Sciences Department, The Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
Int J Infect Dis 10:364-71. 2006
To find the prevalence of HIV infection and risk behaviors among injecting drug users (IDUs) in Karachi, Pakistan.
- DEET mosquito repellent provides personal protection against malaria: a household randomized trial in an Afghan refugee camp in Pakistan
HealthNet International, Peshawar, Pakistan
Trop Med Int Health 9:335-42. 2004
..randomized trial was undertaken among a study population of 127 families (25%) in an Afghan refugee village in Pakistan to compare the efficacy of repellent soap (Mosbar containing 20% DEET and 0.5% permethrin) vs. a placebo lotion...
- Where do they go, whom do they consult, and why? Health-seeking behaviors in the northern areas of Pakistan
Babar T Shaikh
University of Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom
Qual Health Res 18:747-55. 2008
..behaviors and determinants of health service utilization of people living in the rural Northern Areas of Pakistan. Data was gathered from 2004 to 2005 through 10 gender-specific focus group discussions...
- Variations in the population size, distribution and client volume among female sex workers in seven cities of Pakistan
J F Blanchard
Department of Community Health Sciences, University of Manitoba, 750 Bannatyne Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Sex Transm Infect 84:ii24-7. 2008
To describe the size and distribution of female sex worker (FSW) populations and the distribution of client-FSW encounters in seven major cities of Pakistan.
- Gender-based barriers to primary health care provision in Pakistan: the experience of female providers
Centre for Population Studies, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK
Health Policy Plan 18:261-9. 2003
In common with several countries in South Asia, the Pakistan government health system has introduced cadres of community-based female health and family planning workers as a response to gender-based constraints on women's access to ..
- Cataract prevalence, cataract surgical coverage and barriers to uptake of cataract surgical services in Pakistan: the Pakistan National Blindness and Visual Impairment Survey
Pakistan Institute of Community Ophthalmlogy, Kyber Institute of Ophthalmic Medical Sciences, Peshawar, Pakistan
Br J Ophthalmol 91:1269-73. 2007
..of visual impairment and blindness caused by cataract, the prevalence of aphakia/pseudophakia, cataract surgical coverage (CSC) and to identify barriers to the uptake of cataract services among adults aged >or=30 years in Pakistan.
- The stem cell transplant program in Pakistan--the first decade
Bismillah Taqee Institute of Health Sciences and Blood Diseases Center, Karachi, Pakistan
Bone Marrow Transplant 42:S114-S117. 2008
Stem cell transplantation is curative in a number of otherwise fatal hematological diseases. In Pakistan, SCT was started in October 1995 at Dr Ziauddin Hospital by Dr Tahir Shamsi and his team...
- High prevalence of hepatitis C virus infection in the largest province of Pakistan
Division of Virology and Molecular Diagnostics, National Center of Excellence in Molecular Biology, University of the Punjab, Lahore, Pakistan
J Dig Dis 9:95-103. 2008
To estimate the prevalence and spectrum of hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection in the general population of Pakistan.
- Prescription practices of public and private health care providers in Attock District of Pakistan
Multi donor Support Unit, Social Action Programme, World Bank Bldg, Shatirah e Jamhuriyat, Sector G 5 1, Islamabad, Pakistan
Int J Health Plann Manage 17:23-40. 2002
..A study from Attock District of Pakistan assessed this problem in the formal allopathic health sector and compared prescribing practices of health care ..
- Understanding gendered influences on women's reproductive health in Pakistan: moving beyond the autonomy paradigm
Department of Public Health Sciences, School of Public Health, University of Alberta, Canada
Soc Sci Med 68:1349-56. 2009
..autonomy and the gendered social, cultural, economic and political realities of women's lives in rural Punjab, Pakistan. These inadequacies include: the concept's undue emphasis on women's independent, autonomous action; a lack of ..
- Hepatitis B virus genotypes, subgenotypes, precore, and basal core promoter mutations in the two largest provinces of Pakistan
Choudhary Shoaib Ahmed
Department of Infectious Diseases, Nanfang Hospital, Southern Medical University, Guangzhou 510515, China
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 24:569-73. 2009
Hepatitis B virus (HBV) genotyping has been done in most countries, but unfortunately, in Pakistan, HBV genotypic distribution is still unclear...
- Molecular characterization of Plasmodium vivax clinical isolates in Pakistan and Iran using pvmsp-1, pvmsp-3alpha and pvcsp genes as molecular markers
Malaria and Vector Research Group, Biotechnology Research Center, Pasteur Institute of Iran, Tehran, Iran
Parasitol Int 59:15-21. 2010
In this study, the diversity of Plasmodium vivax populations circulating in Pakistan and Iran has been investigated by using circumsporozoite protein (csp) and merozoite surface proteins 1 and 3alpha (msp-1 and msp-3alpha) genes as ..
- Life events, social support and depression in childbirth: perspectives from a rural community in the developing world
School of Psychiatry and Behavioural Sciences, University of Manchester
Psychol Med 33:1161-7. 2003
..Disability associated with depression and its impact on infant health and development could have important public health implications for many developing countries where large proportions of the population are rural...
- An intervention involving traditional birth attendants and perinatal and maternal mortality in Pakistan
Abdul Hakeem Jokhio
Liaquat University of Medical and Health Sciences, Jamshoro, Sindh, Pakistan
N Engl J Med 352:2091-9. 2005
..There are approximately 4 million neonatal deaths and half a million maternal deaths worldwide each year. There is limited evidence from clinical trials to guide the development of effective maternity services in developing countries...
- Control of malaria in Pakistan by applying deltamethrin insecticide to cattle: a community-randomised trial
HealthNet International, University Town, Peshawar, Pakistan
Lancet 357:1837-41. 2001
..We aimed to investigate whether domestic livestock treated with deltamethrin (applied by a sponging method) would prove toxic to mosquitoes and therefore aid in malaria control...
- Prevalence of blindness and visual impairment in Pakistan: the Pakistan National Blindness and Visual Impairment Survey
Mohammad Z Jadoon
Pakistan Institute of Community Ophthalmology, Kyber Institute of Ophthalmic Medical Sciences, Peshawar, Pakistan
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 47:4749-55. 2006
To determine the prevalence of blindness and visual impairment in adults aged 30 years and older in Pakistan and to assess socio-demographic risk factors.
- Prevalence of diabetes in Pakistan
A S Shera
Diabetic Association of Pakistan and WHO Collaborating Centre for Diabetes, 5 E 3, Nazimabad, Karachi 74600, Pakistan
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 76:219-22. 2007
..performing a cross-sectional survey conducted earlier in the rural and urban areas of all the four provinces of Pakistan. The statistical analysis was performed from the obtained results by using SPSS version 12.0...
- Prevalence of antimalarial drug resistance mutations in Plasmodium vivax and P. falciparum from a malaria-endemic area of Pakistan
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Biological Sciences, Quaid i Azam University, Islamabad, Pakistan
Am J Trop Med Hyg 81:525-8. 2009
To study drug resistance in Bannu district, a malaria-endemic area in Pakistan, molecular-based analyses were undertaken...
- Hepatitis C virus in Pakistan: a systematic review of prevalence, genotypes and risk factors
NUST Center of Virology and Immunology, National University of Sciences and Technology, Sector H 12 Islamabad, Pakistan
World J Gastroenterol 15:5647-53. 2009
In Pakistan more than 10 million people are living with Hepatitis C virus (HCV), with high morbidity and mortality. This article reviews the prevalence, genotypes and factors associated with HCV infection in the Pakistani population...
- Hepatitis B and hepatitis C in Pakistan: prevalence and risk factors
Syed Asad Ali
Institute for Global Health, Division of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee, 37203 1738, USA
Int J Infect Dis 13:9-19. 2009
b>Pakistan carries one of the world's highest burdens of chronic hepatitis and mortality due to liver failure and hepatocellular carcinomas...
- Correlates of injection use of synthetic drugs among drug users in Pakistan: a case controlled study
HIV AIDS Surveillance Project, AIDS Block, National Institute of Health, Chak Shehzad, Islamabad
J Pak Med Assoc 56:119-24. 2006
To assess the various correlates of injection of synthetic drugs among drug users in Pakistan.
- The growing burden of chronic kidney disease in Pakistan
Tazeen H Jafar
Section of Nephrology, Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
N Engl J Med 354:995-7. 2006
- Household knowledge and practices of newborn and maternal health in Haripur district, Pakistan
Independent Health Consultant, formerly of Save the Children US, Islamabad, Pakistan
J Perinatol 28:182-7. 2008
..To learn about household maternal and newborn health knowledge and practices to aid the design of newborn programming within Save the Children's Haripur Program...
- Effectiveness of the direct observation component of DOTS for tuberculosis: a randomised controlled trial in Pakistan
J D Walley
Nuffield Institute for Health, University of Leeds, UK
Lancet 357:664-9. 2001
DOTS is the control strategy for tuberculosis promoted by WHO. Pakistan is currently developing its National Tuberculosis Programme, and requires guidance on types of direct observation of treatment appropriate for the local conditions...
- Challenges and opportunities in developing a psychological intervention for perinatal depression in rural Pakistan--a multi-method study
Division of Psychiatry, University of Manchester, Manchester, U K
Arch Womens Ment Health 10:211-9. 2007
..We describe lessons learned from a multi-method formative study to develop and deliver a psychological intervention to depressed mothers and their infants through non-specialist village based health workers...
- Seroprevalence of Toxoplasma gondii in sheep and goats in Rahim Yar Khan (Punjab), Pakistan
Department of Parasitology, University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, 38040, Pakistan
Trop Anim Health Prod 41:1225-9. 2009
..In Pakistan, no data is available on this aspect among food animals...
- Difficulties in maintaining improved handwashing behavior, Karachi, Pakistan
Stephen P Luby
International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease, Bangladesh, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Am J Trop Med Hyg 81:140-5. 2009
In an earlier study in Karachi, Pakistan, households that received free soap and handwashing promotion for 9 months reported 53% less diarrhea than controls...
- Pakistan--country profile of cancer and cancer control 1995-2004
Karachi Cancer Registry
J Pak Med Assoc 56:124-30. 2006
- Epidemic of hepatitis E in a military unit in Abbotrabad, Pakistan
Joe P Bryan
Department of Preventive Medicine and Biometrics, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland 20814 4799, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 67:662-8. 2002
An outbreak of hepatitis caused by hepatitis E virus (HEV) in Abbottabad, Pakistan was traced to fecal contamination of a water system...
- Incidence of acute respiratory infections in children 2 months to 5 years of age in periurban communities in Karachi, Pakistan
Shaikh Qamaruddin Nizami
Department of Pediatrics, The Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi
J Pak Med Assoc 56:163-7. 2006
..To measure the incidence of acute respiratory infections and burden of respiratory pathogens in children aged two months to five years...
- Frequency of isolation of various subtypes and antimicrobial resistance of Shigella from urban slums of Karachi, Pakistan
Department of Pathology and Microbiology, Aga Khan University Hospitals, Stadium Road, PO Box 3500, Karachi 74800, Pakistan
Int J Infect Dis 13:668-72. 2009
..Therefore we conducted a prospective study to determine the frequency of isolation of Shigella serotypes and antimicrobial resistance...
- Spousal abuse during pregnancy in Karachi, Pakistan
Department of Community Health Sciences, Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 101:141-5. 2008
To determine the magnitude of and factors associated with spousal abuse during pregnancy in women presenting to tertiary care hospitals in Karachi, Pakistan.
- Prevalence of Helicobacter pylori pathogenicity-associated cagA and vacA genotypes among Pakistani dyspeptic patients
Life Sciences Group, IAD, PINSTECH, Nilore, Islamabad, Pakistan
FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 55:34-8. 2009
..of virulence-associated genes, cagA, vacA and particularly vacA allelic variants among dyspeptic patients from Pakistan. Gastric biopsy samples were obtained from 78 adult patients presenting dyspepsia symptoms...
- Pan-resistant Acinetobacter infection in neonates in Karachi, Pakistan
Ali Faisal Saleem
Department of Pediatrics and Child Health, Aga Khan University, Karachi 74800, Pakistan
J Infect Dev Ctries 4:30-7. 2010
..Pan-resistant Acinetobacter infection has emerged as an important nosocomial pathogen in our inpatient neonates over the past few years...
- HIV risk in Karachi and Lahore, Pakistan: an emerging epidemic in injecting and commercial sex networks
National AIDS Control Programme, Ministry of Health, Government of Pakistan, Pakistan
Int J STD AIDS 18:486-92. 2007
..sex workers (MSWs), Hijras (transgenders), female sex workers (FSWs) and male truckers in Karachi and Lahore, Pakistan. The design was a linked-anonymous cross-sectional study of individuals identified at key venues or through peer ..
- Quality of pharmacies in Pakistan: a cross-sectional survey
Zahid A Butt
World Health Organization, Campaign and Social Mobilization Cell, Islamabad, Punjab, Pakistan
Int J Qual Health Care 17:307-13. 2005
To estimate the proportion of pharmacies meeting licensing requirements and to identify factors associated with these pharmacies in urban Rawalpindi, Pakistan.
- Knowledge and practice of healthy lifestyle and dietary habits in medical and non-medical students of Karachi, Pakistan
Rubina A Sajwani
Department of Community Health Sciences, The Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
J Pak Med Assoc 59:650-5. 2009
..To objectively compare the differences in knowledge and practices regarding healthy lifestyle among medical and non-medical students of Karachi along with assessment of any perceived barriers...
- Ethnobotany of plants used by the Thari people of Nara Desert, Pakistan
Pir Mehr Ali Shah Arid Agriculture University, Department of Botany, Murree Road, Rawalpindi Pakistan
Fitoterapia 79:468-73. 2008
..the results of an ethnobotanical survey of medicinal plants used by the Thari people of the Nara Desert, Sindh, Pakistan. Fifty-one plant species distributed across 28 families and 43 genera were discovered to have medicinal uses by ..
- Depression and diabetes in a rural community in Pakistan
Department of General Practice and Community Medicine, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 79:124-7. 2008
To determine the prevalence of depression amongst subjects with diabetes and associated risk factors in a rural area of Pakistan.
- Does child gender determine household decision for health care in rural Thatta, Pakistan?
Department of Community Health Sciences, Aga Khan University, Karachi 74800, Pakistan
J Public Health (Oxf) 31:389-97. 2009
In South Asia, gender disparity in child mortality is highest in Pakistan. We examined the influence of child gender on household decision regarding health care.
- Clinical and microbiological diagnosis of trachoma in children living in rural areas in the district of Attock, Punjab, Pakistan
Laboratoire du Centre Hospitalier National d Ophtalmologie des Quinze Vingts, Paris, France
Ophthalmic Epidemiol 13:335-42. 2006
..Since the 1958 report indicating that the highest incidence of trachoma in Pakistan was found in the province of Punjab, no new trials have been published...
- Development of an improved genotyping assay for the detection of hepatitis C virus genotypes and subtypes in Pakistan
Division of Molecular Virology and Molecular Diagnostics, National Centre of Excellence in Molecular Biology, University of the Punjab, 87 West Canal Bank Road, Thokar Niaz Baig, Lahore, Pakistan
J Virol Methods 150:50-6. 2008
..The data indicate that the method described in this study may offer better sensitivity and specificity for the detection directly of HCV genotypes present at low levels in HCV patient samples...
- Implementing community-based perinatal care: results from a pilot study in rural Pakistan
Zulfiqar A Bhutta
Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
Bull World Health Organ 86:452-9. 2008
This pilot study investigated the feasibility of delivering a package of community-based interventions for improving perinatal care using lady health workers (LHWs) and traditional birth attendants (Dais) in rural Pakistan.
- Chlorhexidine vaginal and neonatal wipes in home births in Pakistan: a randomized controlled trial
Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
Obstet Gynecol 110:977-85. 2007
..6% chlorhexidine vaginal and neonatal wipes to improve perinatal outcomes in home deliveries in Pakistan and the ability of traditional birth attendants and project staff to perform a randomized trial of this ..
- Prevalence of HIV, hepatitis B and C amongst health workers of Civil Hospital Karachi
Departments of Paediatrics, Pathology and Surgery, Sindh Institute of Urology and Transplantation, Sindh AIDS Control Program, Karachi
J Pak Med Assoc 52:92-4. 2002
..To determine the prevalence of HIV, Hepatitis B (HBV) and Hepatitis C (HCV) amongst the health workers of Civil Hospital Karachi (CHK)...
- Correlates of cigarette smoking among male college students in Karachi, Pakistan
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Department of Community Health Sciences, Aga Khan University, Stadium Road, PO Box 3500, Karachi, Pakistan
BMC Public Health 7:312. 2007
..Therefore, it is important to understand the factors that might influence their smoking habit. Our study aims to assess the influence of factors that encourage college students to smoke cigarettes...
- Rise in childhood obesity with persistently high rates of undernutrition among urban school-aged Indo-Asian children
T H Jafar
Clinical Epidemiology Unit, Department of Community Health Sciences and Medicine, Aga Khan University, Stadium Road, Karachi, Pakistan
Arch Dis Child 93:373-8. 2008
..Evidence for the transition in nutrition in Indo-Asian developing countries is lacking. We conducted these analyses to determine the trends in nutritional status of school-aged children in urban Pakistan.
- Insertion of beta-satellite repeats identifies a transmembrane protease causing both congenital and childhood onset autosomal recessive deafness
H S Scott
Division of Medical Genetics, University of Geneva Medical School, Geneve, Switzerland
Nat Genet 27:59-63. 2001
..This is the first description of beta-satellite insertion into an active gene resulting in a pathogenic state, and the first description of a protease involved in hearing loss...
- Risky sexual behavior, knowledge of sexually transmitted infections and treatment utilization among a vulnerable population in Rawalpindi, Pakistan
Naeem Hassan Saleem
Canada Pakistan, HIV AIDS Surveillance Project HASP, Punjab AIDS Control Program, 7th Floor, LDA Plaza, Egerton Road, Lahore, Pakistan
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 39:642-8. 2008
..A cross-sectional study preceded by mapping, was conducted in Rawalpindi, Pakistan during 2005. Subjects were recruited through snowball, time location cluster and cluster sampling techniques...
- An inventory of the ethnobotanicals used as anthelmintics in the southern Punjab (Pakistan)
Ethnoveterinary Research and Development Centre, Department of Veterinary Parasitology, University of Agriculture, Faisalabad 38040, Pakistan
J Ethnopharmacol 108:152-4. 2006
A survey was conducted in southern Punjab, Pakistan, in order to document existing ethnobotanical knowledge by the herdsmen/key respondents about anthelmintics in ruminants...
- God should give daughters to rich families only: attitudes towards childbearing among low-income women in Punjab, Pakistan
Department of Public Health and Clinical Medicine, Umea University, Sweden
Soc Sci Med 51:73-81. 2000
We evaluated perceptions and experiences of bearing sons and daughters among 42 women in Punjab, Pakistan, with special emphasis on son preference, changes in women's status within the marital family and resulting health effects...
- Contribution of BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations to breast and ovarian cancer in Pakistan
University of Toronto, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Hum Genet 71:595-606. 2002
The population of Pakistan has been reported to have the highest rate of breast cancer of any Asian population (excluding Jews in Israel) and one of the highest rates of ovarian cancer worldwide...
- Ethnic differences in obesity among immigrants from developing countries, in Oslo, Norway
B N Kumar
Section of Preventive Medicine and Epidemiology, Department of Community Medicine and General Practice, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Int J Obes (Lond) 30:684-90. 2006
..To compare ethnic and gender differences in generalized and central obesity and to investigate whether these differences persisted after adjusting for socio-demographic and lifestyle factors...
- Prevalence of metabolic syndrome in urban Pakistan (Karachi): comparison of newly proposed International Diabetes Federation and modified Adult Treatment Panel III criteria
M Zafar Iqbal Hydrie
Department of International Health, Institute of General Practice and Community Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo, Norway
Metab Syndr Relat Disord 7:119-24. 2009
..the prevalence of metabolic syndrome in adults aged 25 years and older from an urban population of Karachi, Pakistan, according to the International Diabetes Federation (IDF) definition and modified Adult Treatment Panel III (ATP ..
- General practitioners' approach to hypertension in urban Pakistan: disturbing trends in practice
Tazeen H Jafar
Section of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Aga Khan University, PO Box 3500, Stadium Road, Karachi, 74800, Pakistan
Circulation 111:1278-83. 2005
..Control of blood pressure (BP) remains suboptimal worldwide. The objective of this study was to determine whether (primary) general practitioners' (GPs) approach to high BP is in accordance with international guidelines...
- Risk factors for hepatitis C virus infection in male adults in Rawalpindi-Islamabad, Pakistan
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Department of Community Health Sciences, The Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
Trop Med Int Health 6:732-8. 2001
..To identify risk factors associated with HCV infection in Islamabad-Rawalpindi...
- Novel genotypes of H9N2 influenza A viruses isolated from poultry in Pakistan containing NS genes similar to highly pathogenic H7N3 and H5N1 viruses
Division of Microbiology, Institute for Animal Health, Compton Laboratory, Compton, Newbury, Berkshire, UK
PLoS ONE 4:e5788. 2009
The impact of avian influenza caused by H9N2 viruses in Pakistan is now significantly more severe than in previous years...
- Genetic variability in the precore and core promoter regions of hepatitis B virus strains in Karachi
Department of Hepatogastroenterology, Sindh Institute of Urology and Transplantation, Karachi, Pakistan
BMC Gastroenterol 6:20. 2006
..The local prevalence of HBV genotypes and mutations has not been well studied. The aim of the present study is to determine the prevalence of HBV genotypes and mutations in the PC and BCP region in HBV strains in Karachi...
- Temporal trends in hepatitis B and C infection in family blood donors from interior Sindh, Pakistan
Syed Abdul Mujeeb
Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre, Karachi, Pakistan
BMC Infect Dis 8:43. 2008
..Earlier studies have reported increasing rates of hepatitis infection in Pakistan, particularly in rural areas. Pakistan has no active surveillance program to monitor trends of these infections...
- Epidemiology and clinical pattern of hepatitis delta virus infection in Pakistan
Department of Medicine, The Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi, Pakistan
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 20:1503-7. 2005
The global epidemiology of hepatitis delta virus (HDV) infection is changing. This study was performed to determine the epidemiology and clinical impact of hepatitis delta in Pakistan.
- Obstacles to contraceptive use in Pakistan: a study in Punjab
J B Casterline
Policy Research Division, Population Council, New York, USA
Stud Fam Plann 32:95-110. 2001
The principal aim of this study is to assess the strength in Pakistan of a set of hypothesized obstacles to practicing contraception...
- Validation of verbal autopsy to determine the cause of 137 neonatal deaths in Karachi, Pakistan
David R Marsh
Office of Health, Save the Children Federation US, Westport, CT, USA
Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 17:132-42. 2003
..Seriously ill neonates (n = 137) were enrolled from the Civil Hospital, Karachi, Pakistan, between 31 October 1993 and 31 July 1994...
- Irritable bowel syndrome and health seeking behaviour in different communities of Pakistan
Department of Medicine, Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi
J Pak Med Assoc 57:285-7. 2007
To investigate the frequency of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and health seeking behaviour in patients belonging to different ethnic groups and their squatter settlements in two cities of Pakistan.
- A nested-PCR-based schizodeme method for identifying Leishmania kinetoplast minicircle classes directly from clinical samples and its application to the study of the epidemiology of Leishmania tropica in Pakistan
H A Noyes
Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Liverpool L3 5QA, United Kingdom
J Clin Microbiol 36:2877-81. 1998
..The nested PCR was tested for sensitivity on 20 samples from patients from the Timargara refugee camp, Pakistan. Samples were collected by scraping out a small amount of tissue with a scalpel from an incision at the edge of ..
- Outcome of prenatal depression and risk factors associated with persistence in the first postnatal year: prospective study from Rawalpindi, Pakistan
Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, University of Manchester and Human Development Research Foundation, Islamabad, Pakistan
J Affect Disord 100:115-21. 2007
..Prolonged depression during the postnatal period is associated with impaired infant growth and development. Little is known about the factors predicting the persistence of prenatal depression beyond the first few postnatal months...
- Delayed cuticular penetration and enhanced metabolism of deltamethrin in pyrethroid-resistant strains of Helicoverpa armigera from China and Pakistan
Central Cotton Research Institute, Multan, Pakistan
Pest Manag Sci 62:805-10. 2006
..These findings show that the resistant Pakistani and Chinese strains of H. armigera possess mechanisms of reduced cuticular penetration and enhanced metabolism of deltamethrin and perhaps other pyrethroids...
- Prevalence and social correlates of postnatal depression in a low income country
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, Canada
Arch Womens Ment Health 9:197-202. 2006
..We aimed to explore the prevalence of postnatal depression and its association with social support and other risk factors in a sample of Pakistani women...
- Assessment and management of children aged 1-59 months presenting with wheeze, fast breathing, and/or lower chest indrawing; results of a multicentre descriptive study in Pakistan
The Children s Hospital, Islamabad, Pakistan
Arch Dis Child 89:1049-54. 2004
..To improve the WHO case management guidelines, more data is needed about the clinical outcome in children with wheezing/pneumonia overlap...
- Incremental cost-effectiveness of supplementary immunization activities to prevent neonatal tetanus in Pakistan
Ulla K Griffiths
Department of Immunization, Vaccines, and Biologicals, World Health Organization, 1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland
Bull World Health Organ 82:643-51. 2004
..estimate the incremental cost-effectiveness of supplementary immunization activities to prevent neonatal tetanus in the Loralai district of Pakistan. The supplemental immunization activities were carried out in two phases during 2001-03.
- Fatal Sarcoptes scabiei infection of blue sheep (Pseudois nayaur) in Pakistan
M P Dagleish
Moredun Research Institute, Pentlands Science Park, Bush Loan, Penicuik, Near Edinburgh, EH26 OPZ Scotland, UK
J Wildl Dis 43:512-7. 2007
..from a blue sheep (Pseudois nayaur) from the Shimshali Pamir in the Karakorum range of the western Himalaya in Pakistan (36 degrees 28'N, 75 degrees 36'E)...
- Knowledge regarding management of tuberculosis among general practitioners in northern areas of Pakistan
Section of Pulmonary Medicine, The Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi
J Pak Med Assoc 55:174-6. 2005
To assess the knowledge of General Practitioners (GPs)in NWFP and northern areas of Pakistan regarding diagnosis and management of tuberculosis.
- Comparative features and outcomes of malaria at a tertiary care hospital in Karachi, Pakistan
M A Beg
Department of Pathology and Microbiology, The Aga Khan University, Stadium Road, PO Box 3500, Karachi 74800, Pakistan
Int J Infect Dis 12:37-42. 2008
..A comparison of clinical and laboratory features, diagnostic methods, drug treatment, and outcomes for patients hospitalized with malaria by Plasmodium species...
- Sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine, chlorproguanil-dapsone, or chloroquine for the treatment of Plasmodium vivax malaria in Afghanistan and Pakistan: a randomized controlled trial
HealthNet TPO Malaria and Leishmaniasis Control Programme, Peshawar, Northwest Frontier Province, Pakistan
JAMA 297:2201-9. 2007
..The antifolates are an important and affordable antimalarial class to which it is often assumed P vivax malaria is intrinsically resistant...
- Assessment of water quality of Manchar Lake in Sindh (Pakistan)
Ghulam Murtaza Mastoi
M A Kazi Institute of Chemistry, University of Sindh, Jamshoro 76080, Sindh, Pakistan
Environ Monit Assess 141:287-96. 2008
Manchar Lake is the largest natural freshwater lake in Pakistan. The Lake has received less fresh water in past few years. In addition, drainage water is being discharged in the Lake through Main Nara Valley Drain (MNVD) since many years...
- Knowledge of modifiable risk factors of heart disease among patients with acute myocardial infarction in Karachi, Pakistan: a cross sectional study
Muhammad S Khan
Department of Community Health Sciences, Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
BMC Cardiovasc Disord 6:18. 2006
..of knowledge of modifiable risk factors and determined the factors associated with good level of knowledge among patients presenting with their first acute myocardial infarction (AMI) in a tertiary care hospital in Karachi, Pakistan.
- Status of children's blood lead levels in Pakistan: implications for research and policy
Muhammad Masood Kadir
Department of Community Health Sciences, Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
Public Health 122:708-15. 2008
Data on blood lead levels, sources of lead and health effects were reviewed among children in Pakistan.
- Lens opacities in adults in Pakistan: prevalence and risk factors
Shaheen P Shah
International Centre for Eye Health, Clinical Research Unit, Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London
Ophthalmic Epidemiol 14:381-9. 2007
To investigate the prevalence and risk factors for lens opacity (LO) amongst a nationally representative sample of the adult population of Pakistan.
- The role of son preference in reproductive behaviour in Pakistan
School of Health, University of New England, Armidale, NSW, Australia
Bull World Health Organ 78:379-88. 2000
The sex of surviving children is an important determinant of reproductive behaviour in South Asia in general and Pakistan in particular...
- Incidence of blinding vitamin A deficiency in North West Frontier Province and its adjoining Federally Administered Tribal Areas, Pakistan
Mohammad Aman Khan
Pakistan Institute of Community Ophthalmology, Hayatabad Medical Complex, Hayatabad, Peshawar, Pakistan
Ophthalmic Epidemiol 16:2-7. 2009
..in the North West Frontier Province (NWFP) and its adjoining Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) in Pakistan, using a new surveillance system, and to describe socio-economic and other characteristics of reported cases.
- Marching toward the Millennium Development Goals: what about health systems, health-seeking behaviours and health service utilization in Pakistan?
Babar T Shaikh
Health Policy and Management Program, Department of Community Health Sciences, Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
World Health Popul 10:16-24. 2008
..changes in policy as well as extensive reforms and strong inter-sectoral coordination in the healthcare system of Pakistan. While aiming for such macro-level achievements, it is imperative to analyze the on-the-ground realities of any ..
- Translation and cultural adaptation of health questionnaires
School of Psychiatry and Behavioural Sciences, University of Manchester, UK
J Pak Med Assoc 53:142-7. 2003
Health research in Pakistan often requires questionnaires in English language developed in the West to be translated into the local language...
- Resource allocation and budgetary mechanisms for decentralized health systems: experiences from Balochistan, Pakistan
Nuffield Institute for Health, University of Leeds, England
Bull World Health Organ 78:1024-35. 2000
..and budgetary system for the public health sector, using experience gained in the Province of Balochistan, Pakistan. The resource allocation and budgetary system is a critical, yet often neglected, component of any ..
- Stroke in Pakistan
Bhojo A Khealani
Department of Medicine, Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi
J Pak Med Assoc 58:400-3. 2008
..Though the incidence is falling in West but probably is rising in Asia. The burden of stroke risk factors in Pakistan is enormous e.g. by 2020 Pakistan will be 4th most populous country in terms of diabetic patients...
- Ascaris lumbricoides among children in rural communities in the Northern Area, Pakistan: prevalence, intensity, and associated socio-cultural and behavioral risk factors
Department of Public Health, School of Medicine, Miyazaki Medical College, 5200 Kihara, Kiyotake, Japan
Acta Trop 83:223-31. 2002
..prevalence and intensity of Ascaris lumbricoides in 492 children from five rural villages in the Northern Area of Pakistan was examined. The overall prevalence of A. lumbricoides was 91% (95%CI 88.6-93...
- Population-based surveillance for severe rotavirus gastroenteritis in children in Karachi, Pakistan
Department of Pathology and Microbiology, The Aga Khan University, Stadium Road, Karachi, Pakistan
Vaccine 27:F25-30. 2009
..genotypes in children less than five years of age was determined in two low-income communities in Karachi, Pakistan. Over a two-year period, 717 children met eligibility criteria for severe diarrhoea and stools were obtained from ..
- Determinants of low birth weight in urban Pakistan
Naveed Zafar Janjua
Department of Epidemiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 1665 University Blvd, RPHB 430, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Public Health Nutr 12:789-98. 2009
To identify determinants of low birth weight (LBW) in Karachi, Pakistan, including environmental exposures and nutritional status of the mother during pregnancy.
- Birth weight predicts response to vaccination in adults born in an urban slum in Lahore, Pakistan
Sophie E Moore
Medical Research Council International Nutrition Group, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT, UK
Am J Clin Nutr 80:453-9. 2004
..Evidence is also emerging that some components of immune function may be programmed in early life. However, this evidence is limited and requires confirmation...
- Recycling of injection equipment in Pakistan
Syed Abdul Mujeeb
Jinnah Post Graduate Medical Center, Karachi, Pakistan
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 24:145-6. 2003