- Effectiveness of highly active antiretroviral therapy in HIV-positive children: evaluation at 12 months in a routine program in Cambodia
Medecins Sans Frontieres, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Pediatrics 120:e1134-40. 2007
..We aimed to describe the clinical, immunologic, and virologic outcomes of pediatric patients with >12 months of highly active antiretroviral therapy in 2 routine programs in Cambodia.
- Multiple genetic backgrounds of the amplified Plasmodium falciparum multidrug resistance (pfmdr1) gene and selective sweep of 184F mutation in Cambodia
Atlanta Research and Education Foundation, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
J Infect Dis 201:1551-60. 2010
The emergence of artesunate-mefloquine (AS+MQ)-resistant Plasmodium falciparum in the Thailand-Cambodia region is a major concern for malaria control...
- The last man standing is the most resistant: eliminating artemisinin-resistant malaria in Cambodia
Richard J Maude
Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Rajthevee, Bangkok 10400, Thailand
Malar J 8:31. 2009
..The use of such an approach to investigate the likely effectiveness of different containment measures with the ultimate aim of eliminating artemisinin-resistant malaria is described...
- High heritability of malaria parasite clearance rate indicates a genetic basis for artemisinin resistance in western Cambodia
Tim J C Anderson
Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research, PO Box 760549, San Antonio, Texas 78245, USA
J Infect Dis 201:1326-30. 2010
In western Cambodia, malaria parasites clear slowly from the blood after treatment with artemisinin derivatives, but it is unclear whether this results from parasite, host, or other factors specific to this population...
- Intestinal parasites in school-aged children in villages bordering Tonle Sap Lake, Cambodia
National Malaria Center, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 37:859-64. 2006
..However, other intestinal parasitic infections are widespread. In particular, S. stercoralis should be considered an important etiologic agent in children and adolescents with abdominal complaints...
- Control of Schistosoma mekongi in Cambodia: results of eight years of control activities in the two endemic provinces
National Center for Parasitology, Entomology and Malaria Control, Ministry of Health of Cambodia Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 101:34-9. 2007
In Cambodia, schistosomiasis is transmitted in the provinces of Kratie and Stung Treng where approximately 80000 individuals are estimated to be at risk of infection...
- Nipah virus in Lyle's flying foxes, Cambodia
Jean Marc Reynes
Institut Pasteur du Cambodge, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Emerg Infect Dis 11:1042-7. 2005
We conducted a survey in Cambodia in 2000 on henipavirus infection among several bat species, including flying foxes, and persons exposed to these animals...
- Pfmdr1 copy number and arteminisin derivatives combination therapy failure in falciparum malaria in Cambodia
Institut Pasteur in Cambodia, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Malar J 8:11. 2009
..and mefloquine was introduced as the national first-line treatment for Plasmodium falciparum malaria in Cambodia in 2000...
- Rapid and effective malaria control in Cambodia through mass administration of artemisinin-piperaquine
Research Centre for Qinghao, Guangzhou University of Chinese Medicine, Guangzhou, PR China
Malar J 9:57. 2010
..Using an artemisinin-based combination therapy (ACT) that kills parasites quickly, a strategy was designed to eliminate the source of transmission by mass treatment of human populations in malaria-endemic areas Cambodia.
- Changing patterns of forest malaria among the mobile adult male population in Chumkiri District, Cambodia
Department of International Affairs and Tropical Medicine, Tokyo Women s Medical University, 8 1 Kawada cho, Shinjku ku, Tokyo, Japan
Acta Trop 106:207-12. 2008
Forest malaria remains a major problem in many parts of Southeast Asia and South America. In Cambodia, where a significant reduction of malaria morbidity and mortality has been observed in the last 20 years, the forest malaria situation ..
- Escherichia coli in household drinking water and diarrheal disease risk: evidence from Cambodia
J M Brown
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487 0229, USA
Water Sci Technol 58:757-63. 2008
..To investigate the association between E. coli in household drinking water and diarrheal diseases in Cambodia, we conducted a 22 week cohort study in a rural village in Kandal Province...
- Influenza activity in Cambodia during 2006-2008
Institut Pasteur in Cambodia, 5 Monivong blvd, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
BMC Infect Dis 9:168. 2009
..To better understand the dynamics of influenza in Cambodia, the Cambodian National Influenza Center (NIC) was established in August 2006...
- The cost of intensified case finding and isoniazid preventive therapy for HIV-infected patients in Battambang, Cambodia
B S Sutton
Department of Finance, Economics and Quantitative Methods, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 4460, USA
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 13:713-8. 2009
The current study evaluates one of four pilot sites initiated in Cambodia to establish feasible and effective ways to manage patients with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection and tuberculosis (TB).
- Predictors of smear-negative pulmonary tuberculosis in HIV-infected patients, Battambang, Cambodia
Department of Medicine, Gorgas Tuberculosis Initiative, Division of Infectious Diseases, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 13:347-54. 2009
Retrospective data analysis of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infected patients attending an HIV clinic (referral hospital), Cambodia. Chest X-rays (CXRs) were read independently by onsite and offsite physicians.
- Status of intestinal parasites infection among primary school children in Kampongcham, Cambodia
Kyu Jae Lee
Department of Parasitology Wonju College of Medicine and IFBB, Yonsei University, Wonju 220 701, Korea
Korean J Parasitol 40:153-5. 2002
A survey was made to find the extent of intestinal parasite infection in Kampongcham, Cambodia in February 2002...
- Influenza epidemiology and characterization of influenza viruses in patients seeking treatment for acute fever in Cambodia
P J Blair
U S Naval Medical Research Unit No 2, Jakarta, Indonesia
Epidemiol Infect 138:199-209. 2010
The epidemiology, symptomology, and viral aetiology of endemic influenza remain largely uncharacterized in Cambodia. In December 2006, we established passive hospital-based surveillance to identify the causes of acute undifferentiated ..
- Design and evaluation of a community participatory, birth preparedness project in Cambodia
Graduate School of Nursing, Midwifery and Health, Victoria University of Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
Midwifery 25:738-43. 2009
to evaluate a pilot project, which used a community participatory approach to introduce birth preparedness in rural Cambodia.
- Counseling and choosing between infant-feeding options: overall limits and local interpretations by health care providers and women living with HIV in resource-poor countries (Burkina Faso, Cambodia, Cameroon)
Institut de Recherche pour le Développement UMR 145, BP 1386, Dakar, Senegal
Soc Sci Med 69:821-9. 2009
..women's perceptions, in three resource-poor countries with different infant feeding patterns (Burkina Faso, Cambodia, and Cameroon)...
- Community action for preventing HIV in Cambodia: evaluation of a 3-year project
National Center for HIV AIDS, Dermatology and STD, 170 Preah Sihanouk Blvd, Boeung Keng Korng I Quarter, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Health Policy Plan 23:277-87. 2008
The 'Community Action for Preventing HIV/AIDS Project' was implemented in four provinces in Cambodia (2001-04) to support a comprehensive set of HIV prevention efforts...
- Intestinal helminthic infections in schoolchildren in Cambodia
National Center for Parasitology, Entomology and Malaria Control, Pnom Penh, Cambodia
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 34:254-8. 2003
..rural and semi-urban areas, to assess intestinal helminthic infections in schoolchildren in the central parts of Cambodia. In the rural areas, there were four schools in Stung Treng Province (all situated along the Mekong River), five ..
- Foci of Schistosomiasis mekongi, Northern Cambodia: II. Distribution of infection and morbidity
A H Stich
Medecins Sans Frontieres, Switzerland
Trop Med Int Health 4:674-85. 1999
In the province of Kracheh, in Northern Cambodia, a baseline epidemiological survey on Schistosoma mekongi was conducted along the Mekong River between December 1994 and April 1995...
- A randomized open study to assess the efficacy and tolerability of dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine for the treatment of uncomplicated falciparum malaria in Cambodia
Medecins Sans Frontieres, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Trop Med Int Health 12:251-9. 2007
To compare the efficacy and tolerability of dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine (DHA-PQP) with that of a 3-day regimen of mefloquine and artesunate (MAS3) for the treatment of uncomplicated falciparum malaria in Cambodia.
- The effect of long-lasting insecticidal water container covers on field populations of Aedes aegypti (L.) mosquitoes in Cambodia
Chang Moh Seng
World Health Organization Cambodia, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
J Vector Ecol 33:333-41. 2008
Dengue in Cambodia is mainly transmitted by Aedes aegypti (L.) mosquitoes that primarily breed in large, concrete jars (> or =200 liters) used for the storage of water for domestic use...
- Evaluation of a systematic substitution of zidovudine for stavudine-based HAART in a program setting in rural Cambodia
Médecins Sans Frontières OCB, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 49:48-54. 2008
To evaluate a treatment strategy of substituting zidovudine (ZDV) for stavudine (d4T)-based highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART), aimed at preventing d4T-associated toxicity, in a programmatic setting in rural Cambodia.
- Response to highly active antiretroviral therapy among severely immuno-compromised HIV-infected patients in Cambodia
Unité d Epidémiologie des Maladies Emergentes, Institut Pasteur, 25 28 Rue du Docteur Roux, 75015 Paris, France
AIDS 21:351-9. 2007
..HAART efficacy was evaluated in a real-life setting in Phnom Penh (Médecins Sans Frontières programme) among severely immuno-compromised patients...
- Rabies situation in Cambodia
Epidemiology and Public Health Unit, Institut Pasteur in Cambodia, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 3:e511. 2009
Rabies, a fatal but preventable zoonosis, is a major public health problem in developing countries. In Cambodia the disease burden is largely underestimated because patients with encephalitis following dog bites are rarely hospitalized ..
- Five-year experience with scaling-up access to antiretroviral treatment in an HIV care programme in Cambodia
Infectious Disease Department, Sihanouk Hospital Center of HOPE, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Trop Med Int Health 14:1048-58. 2009
To evaluate a 5-year HIV care programme (2003-2007) in the Sihanouk Hospital Center of HOPE, Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
- CTX-M beta-lactamases in Escherichia coli from community-acquired urinary tract infections, Cambodia
Institut Pasteur du Cambodge, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Emerg Infect Dis 15:741-8. 2009
..coli that were responsible for CA-UTIs in Phnom-Penh, Cambodia. Ninety-three E. coli strains were included. We observed a high prevalence of resistance to amoxicillin (88...
- Magnitude of arsenic pollution in the Mekong and Red River Deltas--Cambodia and Vietnam
Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology EAWAG, CH 8600 Dubendorf, Switzerland
Sci Total Environ 372:413-25. 2007
Large alluvial deltas of the Mekong River in southern Vietnam and Cambodia and the Red River in northern Vietnam have groundwaters that are exploited for drinking water by private tube-wells, which are of increasing demand since the mid-..
- Cost of dengue and other febrile illnesses to households in rural Cambodia: a prospective community-based case-control study
Epidemiology and Public Health Unit, Institut Pasteur in Cambodia, 5 Bld Monivong POB 983, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
BMC Public Health 9:155. 2009
The average annual reported dengue incidence in Cambodia is 3.3/1,000 among children < 15 years of age (2002-2007). To estimate the economic burden of dengue, accurate cost-of-illness data are essential...
- Offering integrated care for HIV/AIDS, diabetes and hypertension within chronic disease clinics in Cambodia
Medecins Sans Frontieres, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Bull World Health Organ 85:880-5. 2007
In Cambodia, care for people with HIV/AIDS (prevalence 1.9%) is expanding, but care for people with type II diabetes (prevalence 5-10%), arterial hypertension and other treatable chronic diseases remains very limited.
- Community and school-based health education for dengue control in rural Cambodia: a process evaluation
National Centre for Health Promotion, Ministry of Health, Cambodia
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 1:e143. 2007
Dengue fever continues to be a major public health problem in Cambodia, with significant impact on children...
- Intestinal parasitic infections and socioeconomic status in Prek Russey Commune, Cambodia
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Kagoshima University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Japan
Nihon Koshu Eisei Zasshi 51:986-92. 2004
..Possible relationships were explored between socioeconomic status (SES) and intestinal parasitic infections among residents of Prek Russey, a commune in a rural area near Phnom Penh...
- Screening of selected indigenous plants of Cambodia for antiplasmodial activity
Laboratoire de Parasitologie, Faculte de Pharmacie, Marseille, France
J Ethnopharmacol 107:12-8. 2006
..In this study, we report the antiplasmodial potential activity of eight plant species from Cambodia. Among them four are tested for the first time.
- Decentralized DOTS shortens delay to TB treatment significantly in Cambodia
National Center for Tuberculosis and Leprosy Control, Cambodia, c o JICA National TB Control Project, Cambodia, P O Box 613, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Kekkaku 81:467-74. 2006
Rural districts in Cambodia with and without decentralized health center based DOTS program.
- Low prevalence of drug resistance transmitted virus in HIV Type 1-infected ARV-naive patients in Cambodia
HIV Hepatitis Laboratory, Pasteur Institute of Cambodia, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 25:543-5. 2009
..04-8.04%) prevalence of transmitted drug-resistant strains in drug-naive patients was low in our study. Surveys of drug-resistant transmitted viruses should be regularly performed regarding the increasing access to HAART in Cambodia.
- Protection and participation: an interactive programme introducing the female condom to migrant sex workers in Cambodia
Centre for Population Studies, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK
AIDS Care 16:507-18. 2004
..This paper details an intervention study introducing the female condom to Vietnamese sex workers in Cambodia. Part of a wider community mobilization approach to reducing HIV/AIDS transmission, the intervention emphasized ..
- A survey on malaria in mobile Cambodians in Aranyaprathet, Sa Kaeo Province, Thailand
Faculty of Medical Technology, Rangsit University, Pathum Thani, Thailand
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 34:48-53. 2003
A cross-sectional survey of the malaria prevalence among mobile Cambodians in Aranyaprathet, at the Thai-Cambodia border, was conducted in November 2000...
- Oral health status and behaviours of children in rural districts of Cambodia
C H Chu
Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong, SAR, China
Int Dent J 58:15-22. 2008
To describe the caries and periodontal status of children in rural Cambodia and to study their oral health habits.
- Opportunistic infections and HIV clinical disease stage among patients presenting for care in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
B N Kong
University Research Co, LLC, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 38:62-8. 2007
..of HIV-associated complications and disease stage among individuals presenting for first-time care in Phnom Penh, Cambodia between November 2001 and September 2002. One hundred patients participated in this study...
- Risk factors for nightblindness among women of childbearing age in Cambodia
R D Semba
Department of Ophthalmology, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, 550 North Broadway, Suite 700, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Eur J Clin Nutr 57:1627-32. 2003
..To characterize risk factors for nightblindness among nonpregnant women of childbearing age, a group recently recognized to be at high risk of vitamin A deficiency in some developing countries...
- Directly observed highly active antiretroviral therapy for HIV-infected children in Cambodia
Brown Medical School, Providence, RI, USA
Am J Public Health 97:974-7. 2007
..Catholic charity, provided directly observed antiretroviral therapy to HIV-infected children in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Child care workers administered generic antiretroviral drugs twice daily to children, ensuring adherence...
- HIV epidemic in Cambodia, one of the poorest countries in Southeast Asia: a success story
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 4:1-4. 2006
- Resistance and renewal: health sector reform and Cambodia's national tuberculosis programme
Peter S Hill
International Health, School of Population Health, University of Queensland, Herston, Australia
Bull World Health Organ 85:631-6. 2007
Following the destruction of Cambodia's health infrastructure during the Khmer Rouge period (1975-1979) and the subsequent decade of United Nations sanctions, international development assistance has focused on reconstructing the country'..
- Emergence of community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus associated with pediatric infection in Cambodia
Angkor Hospital for Children, Siem Reap, Kingdom of Cambodia
PLoS ONE 4:e6630. 2009
..One explanation for this difference is that resource poor countries lack the diagnostic microbiology facilities necessary to detect the presence of CA-MRSA carriage and infection...
- Efavirenz replacement by immediate full-dose nevirapine is safe in HIV-1-infected patients in Cambodia
APHP, Department of Immunology, Georges Pompidou European Hospital, Paris, France
HIV Med 9:514-8. 2008
..A switch to nevirapine is regularly carried out because of the cost and side effects of efavirenz. Pharmacokinetic studies suggested that nevirapine should be initiated at full dose when used as a substitute for efavirenz...
- Pulmonary tuberculosis among patients visiting a voluntary confidential counseling and testing center, Cambodia
Gorgas Tuberculosis Initiative, William C Gorgas Center for Geographic Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 12:54-62. 2008
Voluntary counseling and confidential testing center (VCCT), Battambang District, Cambodia.
- In vitro activity of amphotericin B, fluconazole and voriconazole against 162 Cryptococcus neoformans isolates from Africa and Cambodia
Service de parasitologie mycologie médecine tropicale, Centre Hospitalier et Universitaire, 37000 Tours, France
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 23:506-8. 2004
..in tropical areas, the in vitro susceptibility of Cryptococcus neoformans isolates from Africa ( n=52) and Cambodia ( n=110) to three antifungal agents (amphotericin B, fluconazole and voriconazole) were compared using the E-test ..
- Influencing factors for seeking HIV voluntary counseling and testing among tuberculosis patients in Cambodia
Department of International Community Health, School of International Health, Graduate School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
AIDS Care 21:529-34. 2009
..counseling and testing (VCT) utilization among tuberculosis patients attending two referral hospitals in Cambodia. We conducted face-to-face interviews using a structured questionnaire...
- pfcrt polymorphism and chloroquine resistance in Plasmodium falciparum strains isolated in Cambodia
Laboratoire d Epidemiologie Moleculaire, Institut Pasteur du Cambodge, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 47:87-94. 2003
Plasmodium falciparum chloroquine resistance was first detected in Cambodia in the early sixties. Treatment with chloroquine was abandoned 20 years ago...
- Anti-tuberculosis drug resistance and HIV co-infection in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Laboratory for Mycobacteriology, Unit of Clinical Testing, Institut Pasteur du Cambodge, Phnom Penh, Kingdom of Cambodia
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 40:104-7. 2009
..1%. Our findings reveal an alarmingly high level of resistance to isoniazid and rifampicin, and confirms the need for drug susceptibility testing to guide treatment in patients with culture positive tuberculosis...
- Blindness and eye disease in Cambodia
Allan R Rutzen
Helen Keller International, New York, New York, USA
Ophthalmic Epidemiol 14:360-6. 2007
To assess the prevalence and etiology of blindness and low vision and to assess the prevalence of common eye diseases in central Cambodia.
- Emergence of multidrug-resistant Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi with reduced susceptibility to fluoroquinolones in Cambodia
Matthew R Kasper
US Naval Medical Research Unit, Jakarta, Indonesia
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 66:207-9. 2010
- An economic evaluation of thermostable vaccines in Cambodia, Ghana and Bangladesh
Vaccine 25:6945-57. 2007
..cost impacts of new vaccine products, as compared to the standard vaccine products in multi-dose vials in Cambodia, Ghana, and Bangladesh...
- Status of intestinal parasite infections among children in Bat Dambang, Cambodia
Seung Kyu Park
Department of Parasitology and Institute of Basic Medical Science, Wonju College of Medicine, Yonsei University, Wonju 220 701, Korea
Korean J Parasitol 42:201-3. 2004
A survey was conducted to determine the extent of intestinal parasite infection in Bat Dambang, Cambodia in March 2004...
- The national tuberculosis drug resistance survey in Cambodia, 2000-2001
The Research Institute of Tuberculosis, Japan Anti Tuberculosis Association, Tokyo, Japan
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 11:1321-7. 2007
b>Cambodia has a high incidence of tuberculosis (TB). Hospital-based DOTS was predominant throughout the country from 1994 to 2002.
- Abortion-related complications in Cambodia
Research Evaluation, Ipas, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
BJOG 115:957-68; discussion 968. 2008
Although termination of pregnancy (termination) has been legal in the Kingdom of Cambodia since 1997, a number of barriers to safe termination services persist and many women continue to induce their own terminations or seek unsafe ..
- Environmental contamination during influenza A virus (H5N1) outbreaks, Cambodia, 2006
Epidemiology Unit, Institut Pasteur in Cambodia, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Emerg Infect Dis 14:1303-5. 2008
..risk for bird-to-human transmission during influenza A virus (H5N1) outbreaks among backyard poultry in rural Cambodia, we collected environmental specimens...
- Weekly iron and folic acid supplementation as a tool to reduce anemia among primary school children in Cambodia
Food Security and Nutrition Policy Support, German Technical Cooperation GTZ, 352 Monivong Blvd, P O Box 164, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Nutr Rev 63:S139-45. 2005
..62% to 12% and from 57% to 26% in children 5 to 11 years of age in two rural primary schools in Kampot Province, Cambodia, after oral weekly supplementation with iron-folic acid tablets for 20 weeks and with vitamin A and mebendazole ..
- Trends of HIV-1 seroincidence among HIV-1 sentinel surveillance groups in Cambodia, 1999-2002
National Center for HIV AIDS, Dermatology and STDs, Phnom Penh, Cambodia and the Department of Epidemiology, University of California School of Public Health, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1772, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 39:587-92. 2005
This study reports trends in HIV-1 incidence in Cambodia among different target groups in the HIV-1 Sentinel Surveillance Program in 1999, 2000, and 2002, using the newly developed IgG capture BED-enzyme (HIV subtypes B, E and D) ..
- Positive outcomes of HAART at 24 months in HIV-infected patients in Cambodia
Epicentre, Paris, France
AIDS 21:2293-301. 2007
..We report the outcomes at 24 months of antiretroviral therapy (ART) in patients treated in a Médecins Sans Frontières/Ministry of Health programme in Cambodia.
- Prevalence of counterfeit anthelminthic medicines: a cross-sectional survey in Cambodia
Mohiuddin Hussain Khan
Department of Drug Management and Policy, Institute of Medical, Pharmaceutical and Health Sciences, Kanazawa University, Ishikawa, Japan
Trop Med Int Health 15:639-44. 2010
To assess the prevalence of counterfeit anthelminthic medicines in Cambodia, and to determine influential factors.
- Failure of artesunate-mefloquine combination therapy for uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in southern Cambodia
William O Rogers
Naval Medical Research Unit 2, Komp, P2P PLP LITBANGKES, Jl, Percetakan Negara No, 29, Jakarta 10560, Indonesia
Malar J 8:10. 2009
..The efficacy of standard therapies for uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum and Plasmodium vivax malaria was assessed in Chumkiri, Kampot Province, Cambodia.
- Cost-effectiveness of replacing skeletal traction by interlocked intramedullary nailing for femoral shaft fractures in a provincial trauma hospital in Cambodia
Richard A Gosselin
School of Public Health, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA, USA
Int Orthop 33:1445-8. 2009
..of introducing the SIGN nailing system for femoral shaft fractures in a provincial trauma hospital in Cambodia are compared to those of Perkin's traction treatment...
- Validation of primary CD4 gating as an affordable strategy for absolute CD4 counting in Cambodia
Clinical and Microbiology Department, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 43:179-85. 2006
..To validate primary CD4 gating in lysed whole blood for absolute CD4 counts in fresh and aged blood using an affordable compact volumetric commercial flow cytometer...
- Community participation in externally funded health projects: lessons from Cambodia
Enfants et Developpement, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Health Policy Plan 18:399-410. 2003
..community participation in two externally funded, NGO-implemented health projects working at district level in Cambodia. The first project was implemented in accordance with the Cambodian national guidelines on community ..
- Highly pathogenic avian influenza virus (H5N1) outbreak in captive wild birds and cats, Cambodia
Centre de Cooperation Internationale en Recherche Agronomique pour le Developpement, Montpellier, France
Emerg Infect Dis 15:475-8. 2009
From December 2003 through January 2004, the Phnom Tamao Wildlife Rescue Centre, Cambodia, was affected by the highly pathogenic influenza virus (H5N1). Birds from 26 species died...
- Cost-effectiveness of annual targeted larviciding campaigns in Cambodia against the dengue vector Aedes aegypti
Jose A Suaya
Schneider Institutes for Health Policy, Heller School, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA 02454 9110, USA
Trop Med Int Health 12:1026-36. 2007
To assess the cost-effectiveness (CE) of annual targeted larviciding campaigns from 2001 to 2005 against the dengue vector Aedes aegypti in two urban areas of Cambodia with a population of 2.9 million people.
- Molecular surveillance for multidrug-resistant Plasmodium falciparum, Cambodia
Naman K Shah
University of North Carolina School of Public Health, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 14:1637-40. 2008
We conducted surveillance for multidrug-resistant Plasmodium falciparum in Cambodia during 2004-2006 by assessing molecular changes in pfmdr1...
- Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) mutations in Cambodia: G6PD Viangchan (871G>A) is the most common variant in the Cambodian population
Department of Medical Zoology, Jichi Medical School, 3311 1 Yakushij, Minami Kawachi, Tochigi 329 0498, Japan
J Hum Genet 50:468-72. 2005
We conducted a survey of malaria diagnoses and glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) testing in remote areas of Cambodia. Blood specimens from 670 people were collected by the finger-prick method. Of these people, 24...
- Diabetes and associated disorders in Cambodia: two epidemiological surveys
Centre Européen d Etude du Diabète, 67200 Strasbourg, France
Lancet 366:1633-9. 2005
..However, reliable, standardised data on prevalence and characteristics of glucose intolerance in Asian populations remain sparse. We describe the results of two field surveys undertaken in Cambodia in 2004.
- Rational drug use in Cambodia: study of three pilot health centers in Kampong Thom Province
Rural Health Training and Research Center, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 33:418-24. 2002
..of a strategy to address irrational prescribing practices in three health centers in Kampong Thom Province, Cambodia. Indicators of rational drug use have been measured and compared with Standard Guidelines...
- Discovery of Opisthorchis viverrini metacercariae in freshwater fish in southern Cambodia
Department of Helminthology, Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Bangkok 10400, Thailand
Acta Trop 111:108-13. 2009
..Nevertheless, little is known about the epidemiology of small liver flukes in Cambodia. The present study is, therefore, aimed at clarifying the status of small liver fluke infections in various ..
- Poverty, wealth inequality and health among older adults in rural Cambodia
University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Soc Sci Med 66:57-71. 2008
..inequality and a variety of health outcomes, among older adults, in one of the world's poorest regions--rural Cambodia. Data from the 2004 Survey of the Elderly in Cambodia are employed...
- Declining artesunate-mefloquine efficacy against falciparum malaria on the Cambodia-Thailand border
US Naval Medical Research Unit No 2, Jakarta, Indonesia
Emerg Infect Dis 14:716-9. 2008
Resistance to many antimalaria drugs developed on the Cambodia-Thailand border long before developing elsewhere...
- The impact of the introduction of user fees at a district hospital in Cambodia
Enfants and Développement, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Health Policy Plan 19:310-21. 2004
..Utilization of public health services in Cambodia is low...
- A reliable diagnosis of human rabies based on analysis of skin biopsy specimens
1UPRE Dynamique des Lyssavirus et Adaptation à l Hôte, Centre National de Référence pour la Rage, Centre Collaborateur de l Organisation Mondiale de la Santé de Référence et de Recherche sur la Rage, Paris, France
Clin Infect Dis 47:1410-7. 2008
..There is a need for a reliable method based on a simple collection of nonneural specimens...
- Local drinking water filters reduce diarrheal disease in Cambodia: a randomized, controlled trial of the ceramic water purifier
University of Alabama, Department of Biological Sciences, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487 0229, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 79:394-400. 2008
..controlled intervention trial of two household-scale drinking water filters was conducted in a rural village in Cambodia. After collecting four weeks of baseline data on household water quality, diarrheal disease, and other data ..
- Spectrum of opportunistic infections in hospitalized HIV-infected patients in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Preah Bat Norodom Sihanouk Hospital, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Int J STD AIDS 14:411-6. 2003
..the study was to provide more comprehensive data on the clinical characteristics of hospitalized AIDS patients in Cambodia. Chart review of 381 HIV-infected patients admitted to a public hospital in Phnom Penh, Cambodia between December ..
- Climate as a contributing factor in the demise of Angkor, Cambodia
Brendan M Buckley
Lamont Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University, Palisades, NY 10964, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:6748-52. 2010
The "hydraulic city" of Angkor, the capitol of the Khmer Empire in Cambodia, experienced decades-long drought interspersed with intense monsoons in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries that, in combination with other factors, ..
- Evidence for persistence of and antiviral resistance and reassortment events in seasonal influenza virus strains circulating in Cambodia
Institut Pasteur in Cambodia, Virology Unit, 5, Monivong Boulevard, P O Box 983, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
J Clin Microbiol 48:295-7. 2010
The analysis of A/H1N1 and A/H3N2 influenza viruses collected between 2005 and 2008 in Cambodia detected strains resistant to oseltamivir and confirmed widespread resistance to adamantanes...
- Aetiology of meningitis in HIV-infected patients in a referral hospital in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Preah Bat Norodon Sihanouk Hospital, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Int J STD AIDS 15:48-50. 2004
The HIV epidemic in Cambodia is one of the most extensive in Asia. Meningitis accounts for a substantial proportion of HIV-related morbidity and mortality in Cambodia...
- HIV-related risk behaviors in Cambodia and effects of mobility
National Center for HIV AIDS, Dermatology and STDs, Ministry of Health, Cambodia
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 41:81-6. 2006
..To study HIV risk behaviors in different population groups, linkages to bridge populations, and to examine factors affecting such behaviors and links...
- Influence of the involvement of partners in the mother class with voluntary confidential counselling and testing acceptance for prevention of mother to child transmission of HIV programme (PMTCT programme) in Cambodia
Bureau of International Cooperation, International Medical Center of Japan, Japan
AIDS Care 19:381-4. 2007
The National Maternal and Child Health Center in Phnom Penh, Cambodia commenced PMTCT services as the first site of the National PMTCT programme of Cambodia in November 2001...
- Malaria transmission and major malaria vectors in different geographical areas of Southeast Asia
H D Trung
National Institute of Malariology, Parasitology and Entomology, Hanoi, Vietnam
Trop Med Int Health 9:230-7. 2004
During the last decade, major progress in malaria control has been achieved in Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. However, malaria is still a potentially fatal disease in some hilly-forested areas and continues to be endemic in a few coastal ..
- Quality of life and living with HIV/AIDS in Cambodia
Department of Nursing, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID, USA
J Transcult Nurs 16:41-9. 2005
..This qualitative study was..
- "Almost a role model of what we would like to do everywhere": British American Tobacco in Cambodia
Centre on Global Change and Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT, UK
Tob Control 13:ii112-7. 2004
To examine British American Tobacco's (BAT's) renewed interest in Cambodia from the early 1990s, reviewing negotiations to establish a joint venture and the subsequent conduct of BAT Cambodia (BATC).
- Improving immunization equity through a public-private partnership in Cambodia
J Brad Schwartz
Department of Economics, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Campus Box 3305, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 3305, USA
Bull World Health Organ 82:661-7. 2004
To examine the effects on immunization equity of the large-scale contracting of primary health-care services in rural areas of Cambodia.
- Telemedicine by email in remote Cambodia
Paul J Heinzelmann
Partners Telemedicine, Two Longfellow Place, Suite 216, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Telemed Telecare 11:S44-7. 2005
An email-based telemedicine service was implemented in two remote village communities in Cambodia. Volunteer physicians at the Brigham and Women's Hospital, Massachusetts General Hospital and the Sihanouk Hospital Center of Hope in Phnom ..
- Health equity funds in Cambodia
Luc Van Leemput
Lancet 369:638. 2007
- Variation over space and time of Aedes aegypti in Phnom Penh (Cambodia): genetic structure and oral susceptibility to a dengue virus
Unité des Insectes et Maladies Infectieuses, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Genet Res 82:171-82. 2003
..This study allows a model of Ae. aegypti population functioning in Phnom Penh to be suggested. Dynamics of dengue virus diffusion depend on the population genetic structure of the vector and its evolution over space and time...
- A comparative intervention trial on fish sauce fortified with NaFe-EDTA and FeSO4+citrate in iron deficiency anemic school children in Kampot, Cambodia
FSNPSP Project, GTZ, Kampot, Cambodia
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 17:250-7. 2008
Inhabitants of agrarian villages of rural Cambodia suffer from high prevalences of iron deficiency and anemia in the context of a monotonous diet.
- Arsenic and other trace elements contamination in groundwater and a risk assessment study for the residents in the Kandal Province of Cambodia
Thi Thu Giang Luu
International Environmental Research Center, Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology, 261 Cheomdan gwagiro, Buk Gu, Gwangju 500 712, South Korea
Environ Int 35:455-60. 2009
..other trace elements in groundwater were examined at three villages (PT, POT and CHL) in the Kandal Province of Cambodia. Concentrations of arsenic in the groundwater ranged from 6...
- Building peace through participatory health training: a case from Cambodia
Department of International Health, Nagoya University School of Medicine, Nagoya, Aichi, Japan
Glob Public Health 2:281-93. 2007
..To build peace, as well as conducting training directly on a technical topic, these essential factors need to be incorporated in the training programmes...
- The socio-demographic legacy of the Khmer Rouge period in Cambodia
Damien de Walque
Development Research Group, The World Bank, Washington, DC 20433, USA
Popul Stud (Camb) 60:223-31. 2006
..is an examination of the long-term impact of genocide during the period of the Khmer Rouge regime (1975-79) in Cambodia. The very high and selective mortality of the period had a major impact on the population structure of Cambodia...
- Intakes from non-breastmilk foods for stunted toddlers living in poor urban villages of Phnom Penh, Cambodia, are inadequate
Victoria P Anderson
Department of Human Nutrition, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
Matern Child Nutr 4:146-59. 2008
In Cambodia, the energy and nutrient densities of the traditional rice-based complementary diets used for infant feeding are very low. Whether the adequacy improves after the first year of life is uncertain...
- Genetic disorders in a paediatric hospital in Cambodia
Angkor Hospital for Children, Siem Reap, Cambodia
Ann Hum Biol 32:188-94. 2005
b>Cambodia is an extremely underdeveloped country in Southeast Asia with a childhood mortality rate of 105/1000 live births...
- Crossing the public-private sector divide with reproductive health in Cambodia: out-patient services in a local NGO and the national MCH clinic
Social Sectors Development Strategies, Inc, Boston, MA, USA
Int J Health Plann Manage 16:33-46. 2001
..and the major indigenous non-government clinics offering out-patient reproductive health services in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Reproductive health is of critical importance in Cambodia, which has one of the highest levels of unmet need for ..
- [Diagnosis and treatment of invasive cervical cancer in Cambodia (apropos of 35 cases)]
Institut Pasteur du Cambodge, Pnom Penh, Cambodge
Bull Soc Pathol Exot 98:183-6. 2005
Uterine cervix cancer is an important public health problem in developing countries. In Cambodia, incidence (24. 10-5) and mortality (12,77. 10-5) rates due to this cancer are higher than in other southeast Asian countries...
- An assessment survey of anti-tuberculosis drug management in Cambodia
National Centre for Tuberculosis and Leprosy Control CENAT Japan International Cooperation Agency National TB Control Project, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 10:153-9. 2006
..One hundred and seven public health facilities with tuberculosis (TB) service and 66 private pharmacies in 14 provinces...
- Project AID Khmer: addressing the health impact of HIV/AIDS on Cambodia through rural capacity building
Alpert Medical School of Brown University, Providence, RI 02912, USA
Glob Public Health 5:75-86. 2010
HIV/AIDS prevention efforts in Cambodia have largely focussed on urban populations...