Genomes and Genes
Summary: The geographical area of Asia comprising BORNEO; BRUNEI; CAMBODIA; INDONESIA; LAOS; MALAYSIA; the MEKONG VALLEY; MYANMAR (formerly Burma), the PHILIPPINES; SINGAPORE; THAILAND; and VIETNAM.
Publications221 found, 100 shown here
- Containing pandemic influenza at the sourceIra M Longini
Department of Biostatistics, The Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, 1518 Clifton Road, N E, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Science 309:1083-7. 2005..1. Combinations of targeted antiviral prophylaxis, pre-vaccination, and quarantine could contain strains with an R(0) as high as 2.4...
- Counterfeit artesunate antimalarials in southeast AsiaPaul N Newton
Lancet 362:169. 2003
- Differences in risk factors, atherosclerosis, and cardiovascular disease between ethnic groups in Canada: the Study of Health Assessment and Risk in Ethnic groups (SHARE)S S Anand
Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Ontario, Canada
Lancet 356:279-84. 2000..To establish whether this variation can be explained by differences in disease risk factors and subclinical atherosclerosis, we undertook a population-based study of three ethnic groups in Canada: South Asians, Chinese, and Europeans...
- Melioidosis: an important cause of pneumonia in residents of and travellers returned from endemic regionsB J Currie
Menzies School of Health Research, Flinders University, Darwin, Australia
Eur Respir J 22:542-50. 2003..Melioidosis has been increasingly recognised in returning travellers in Europe and recently melioidosis and colonisation with B. pseudomallei have been documented in cystic fibrosis patients visiting or resident in endemic areas...
- Avian influenza A (H5N1) infection in humansJohn H Beigel
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
N Engl J Med 353:1374-85. 2005
- Changing disease burden of hepatocellular carcinoma in the Far East and Southeast AsiaJia Horng Kao
Hepatitis Research Center, National Taiwan University College of Medicine, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Liver Int 25:696-703. 2005..However, prevention of HBV and HCV infections as well as effective treatment of the chronic viral infections with timely interventions are still needed for the global control of HCC, particularly in the Far East and Southeast Asia...
- Mortality of migrants from the Indian subcontinent to England and Wales: effect of duration of residenceSeeromanie Harding
Medical Research Council Unit, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, Scotland
Epidemiology 14:287-92. 2003..Few studies have examined mortality of migrants by duration of residence in the country of destination...
- The long-distance tertiary air transfer and care of tsunami victims: injury pattern and microbiological and psychological aspectsMarc Maegele
Department of Traumatology and Orthopedic Surgery, University of Witten Herdecke, Ostmerheimerstr 200, 51109 Cologne, Germany
Crit Care Med 33:1136-40. 2005..The objective of this report was to characterize typical injury patterns along with microbiological findings and psychoemotional aspects unique to the tsunami disaster...
- Origin of Plasmodium falciparum malaria is traced by mitochondrial DNAD J Conway
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel St, London WC1E 7HT, UK
Mol Biochem Parasitol 111:163-71. 2000..This indicates that P. falciparum originated in Africa and colonised Southeast Asia and South America separately...
- Use of evidence-based practices in pregnancy and childbirth: South East Asia Optimising Reproductive and Child Health in Developing Countries projectM Laopaiboon
PLoS ONE 3:e2646. 2008..In this study we assessed current practices in perinatal health care in four South East Asian countries and determined whether they were aligned with best practice recommendations...
- The insecticide resistance status of malaria vectors in the Mekong regionWim Van Bortel
Institute of Tropical Medicine, Dept, Parasitology, Nationalestraat 155, B 2000 Antwerpen, Belgium
Malar J 7:102. 2008..Consequently, cross-country monitoring of insecticide resistance is indispensable to acquire comparable baseline data on insecticide resistance...
- Bionomics and systematics of the oriental Anopheles sundaicus complex in relation to malaria transmission and vector controlIsabelle Dusfour
Institute of Research for Development, Center of Biology and Management of Populations, Campus International de Baillarguet, CS30016, Montferrier sur Lez 34988, France
Am J Trop Med Hyg 71:518-24. 2004....
- Characterization of counterfeit artesunate antimalarial tablets from southeast AsiaKrystyn Alter Hall
School of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia 30332, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 75:804-11. 2006....
- SCAR markers and multiplex PCR-based identification of isomorphic species in the Anopheles dirus complex in Southeast AsiaS Manguin
Institut de recherche pour le developpement IRD, Centre de Biologie et Gestion des Populations, Montpellier, France
Med Vet Entomol 16:46-54. 2002....
- Optimising reproductive and child health outcomes by building evidence-based research and practice in South East Asia (SEA-ORCHID): study protocolDavid J Henderson-Smart
NSW Centre for Perinatal Health Services Research, Queen Elizabeth ll Research Institute, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
BMC Med Res Methodol 7:43. 2007..in Thailand, Indonesia, the Philippines and Malaysia be improved by increasing the local capacity for the synthesis of research, implementation of effective interventions, and identification of gaps in knowledge needing further research?..
- Cost effectiveness analysis of strategies for maternal and neonatal health in developing countriesTaghreed Adam
Health Systems Financing, Evidence and Information for Policy, World Health Organization, Switzerland
BMJ 331:1107. 2005..To determine the costs and benefits of interventions for maternal and newborn health to assess the appropriateness of current strategies and guide future plans to attain the millennium development goals...
- Screening of pregnant women for hepatitis B markers in a French Provincial University Hospital (Limoges) during 15 yearsFrancois Denis
Department of Bacteriology, Virology and Hygiene, University Hospital Limoges, France
Eur J Epidemiol 19:973-8. 2004....
- A principal target of human immunity to malaria identified by molecular population genetic and immunological analysesD J Conway
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel St, London WC1E 7HT
Nat Med 6:689-92. 2000..This demonstrated that serum IgG antibodies against each of the two most frequent allelic types of block 2 of the protein were strongly associated with protection from P. falciparum malaria...
- Review of the Minimus Complex of Anopheles, main malaria vector in Southeast Asia: from taxonomic issues to vector control strategiesC Garros
Institute of Research for Development, Centre of Biology and Management of Populations, Montpellier, France
Trop Med Int Health 11:102-14. 2006....
- Vitamin A deficiency and xerophthalmia among school-aged children in Southeastern AsiaV Singh
Center for Human Nutrition, Department of International Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Eur J Clin Nutr 58:1342-9. 2004..To determine provisional estimates of the extent of vitamin A (VA) deficiency and xerophthalmia among school-aged children...
- Molecular phylogeny and evolutionary history of Southeast Asian macaques forming the M. silenus groupThomas Ziegler
Department of Reproductive Biology, German Primate Centre, Kellnerweg 4, 37077 Gottingen, Germany
Mol Phylogenet Evol 42:807-16. 2007....
- The current refugial rainforests of Sundaland are unrepresentative of their biogeographic past and highly vulnerable to disturbanceCharles H Cannon
Key Lab of Tropical Forest Ecology, Xishuangbanna Tropical Botanic Garden, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Yunnan 666303, People s Republic of China
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:11188-93. 2009..Further research into the natural process of fragmentation and contraction during deglaciation is necessary to understand the long-term effect of human activity on forest species...
- Cancer incidence in the south Asian population of England (1990-92)H Winter
Department of Public Health and Epidemiology, The University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, UK
Br J Cancer 79:645-54. 1999..They suggest that detrimental changes in lifestyle and other exposures have occurred in the migrant south Asian population...
- Anopheles (Cellia) epiroticus (Diptera: Culicidae), a new malaria vector species in the Southeast Asian Sundaicus ComplexY M Linton
Mosquitoes Programme, Department of Entomology, The Natural History Museum, London, UK
Bull Entomol Res 95:329-39. 2005..epiroticus from A. sundaicus s.s. Information is provided on the bionomics and systematics of the new species...
- Distribution of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase mutations in Southeast AsiaK Iwai
Department of Medical Zoology, Jichi Medical School, Tochigi, Japan
Hum Genet 108:445-9. 2001....
- Reconstructing the origin of Andaman IslandersKumarasamy Thangaraj
Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology, Hyderabad 500 007, India
Science 308:996. 2005..In contrast, Nicobarese sequences illustrate a close genetic relationship with populations from Southeast Asia...
- Mitochondrial DNA variation in Nicobarese IslandersB V Prasad
Department of Anthropology, Andhra University, Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, India
Hum Biol 73:715-25. 2001..g., Cambodians). Thus, the dispersal of southern Chinese into mainland Southeast Asia may have included a westward expansion and colonization of the islands of the Andaman Sea...
- Phylogeography and ethnogenesis of aboriginal Southeast AsiansCatherine Hill
Faculty of Biological Sciences, Institute of Integrative and Comparative Biology, University of Leeds, Leeds, United Kingdom
Mol Biol Evol 23:2480-91. 2006....
- Genetic study of the Paleolithic and Neolithic Southeast AsiansH Oota
Department of Biological Sciences, Graduate School of Science, University of Tokyo, Japan
Hum Biol 73:225-31. 2001....
- Molecular evidence for broad-scale distributions in bdelloid rotifers: everything is not everywhere but most things are very widespreadDiego Fontaneto
Division of Biology, Silwood Park Campus, Imperial College London, Ascot, Berkshire SL57PY, UK
Mol Ecol 17:3136-46. 2008..Broad dispersal and large population sizes might be factors lessening the evolutionary cost of long-term abstinence from sexual reproduction in this famous group of obligate parthenogens...
- The dual origin of the Malagasy in Island Southeast Asia and East Africa: evidence from maternal and paternal lineagesMatthew E Hurles
Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton, United Kingdom
Am J Hum Genet 76:894-901. 2005..As a result of their equally balanced admixed ancestry, the Malagasy may represent an ideal population in which to identify loci underlying complex traits of both anthropological and medical interest...
- Genetic variability, molecular evolution, and geographic diversity of HLA-B27M A Blanco-Gelaz
Department of Immunology. Hospital Central de Asturias E-3006, Oviedo, Spain
Hum Immunol 62:1042-50. 2001..The striking correlation between the structural features of B27 and the ethnic distribution of these subtypes suggests a model of strong directional evolution, in which the subtypes could have arisen from B*2705...
- Climate change and postglacial human dispersals in southeast AsiaPedro Soares
Institute of Integrative and Comparative Biology, Faculty of Biological Sciences, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
Mol Biol Evol 25:1209-18. 2008..This suggests that global warming and sea-level rises at the end of the Ice Age, 15,000-7,000 years ago, were the main forces shaping modern human diversity in the region...
- The genetic origins of the Andaman IslandersPhillip Endicott
Henry Wellcome Ancient Biomolecules Centre, Department of Zoology, University of Oxford, Oxford, OX1 3PS England
Am J Hum Genet 72:178-84. 2003..The results demonstrate that Victorian anthropological collections can be used to study extinct, or seriously admixed populations, to provide new data about early human origins...
- Y-chromosomal STR haplotypes and their applications to forensic and population studies in east AsiaKyoung Don Kwak
Department of Biological Sciences, Dankook University, Cheonan, 330 714, South Korea
Int J Legal Med 119:195-201. 2005..An admixture estimate suggested 55(51-59)% northern, 45(41-49)% southern contribution to the Koreans, illustrating the complexity of the genetic history of this region...
- Maternal footprints of Southeast Asians in North IndiaKumarasamy Thangaraj
Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology, Hyderabad, India
Hum Hered 66:1-9. 2008..The presence of R6 in the Nepalese, on the other hand, suggests that the gene flow between India and Nepal has been reciprocal...
- Mitochondrial DNA variation in Indo-Pacific populations of the giant tiger prawn, Penaeus monodonJ A H Benzie
Australian Institute of Marine Science, PMB 3, Townsville, MC Queensland 4810, Australia
Mol Ecol 11:2553-69. 2002....
- Genetic structure of Hmong-Mien speaking populations in East Asia as revealed by mtDNA lineagesBo Wen
State Key Laboratory of Genetic Engineering and Center for Anthropological Studies, School of Life Sciences, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
Mol Biol Evol 22:725-34. 2005..Moreover, our data defined some new (sub-)haplogroups (A6, B4e, B4f, C5, F1a1, F1a1a, and R9c), which will direct further efforts to improve the phylogeny of East Asian mtDNAs...
- Matching the origin of an invasive weed for selection of a herbivore haplotype for a biological control programmeJohn A Goolsby
United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Beneficial Insects Research Unit, 2413 E Hwy 83, Weslaco, TX 78596, USA
Mol Ecol 15:287-97. 2006....
- Speciation and phylogeography of the Southeast Asian Anopheles sundaicus complexIsabelle Dusfour
Institut de Recherche pour le Developpement, UMR22 Biologie et Gestion des Populations CBGP, Campus de Baillarguet, CS30016, Montferrier sur Lez 34988, France
Infect Genet Evol 7:484-93. 2007..Based on the results and knowledge of the biogeography of the area, we hypothesise that the combination of cyclical island and refugium creation was the cause of lineage isolation and bottleneck events during the Pleistocene...
- Phylogeny and ancient DNA of Sus provides insights into neolithic expansion in Island Southeast Asia and OceaniaGreger Larson
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Microbiology, Uppsala University Biomedical Center, Box 597, 75124 Uppsala, Sweden
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:4834-9. 2007..The other later pig dispersal links mainland East Asian pigs to western Micronesia, Taiwan, and the Philippines. These results provide important data with which to test current models for human dispersal in the region...
- Dispersal, habitat differences, and comparative phylogeography of Southeast Asian seahorses (Syngnathidae: Hippocampus)S A Lourie
Project Seahorse, Department of Biology, 1205 Avenue Dr Penfield, Montreal, Quebec H3A 1B1, Canada
Mol Ecol 14:1073-94. 2005....
- Indonesian mitochondrial DNA and its opposition to a Pleistocene era origin of proto-Polynesians in island southeast AsiaMurray P Cox
Leverhulme Centre for Human Evolutionary Studies, Department of Biological Anthropology, University of Cambridge, Downing Street, Cambridge CB2 3DZ, United Kingdom
Hum Biol 77:179-88. 2005..The extant mtDNA evidence can no longer be viewed as favoring a Polynesian origin in eastern Indonesia, but instead remains consistent with an origin of proto-Polynesian peoples in southern China and Taiwan...
- Phylogenetic relationship of the populations within and around Japan using 105 short tandem repeat polymorphic lociShi lin Li
Department of Legal Medicine and Bioethics, Graduate School of Medicine, Nagoya University, Nagoya, Japan
Hum Genet 118:695-707. 2006..This pattern may be the caviar of comparing populations with greatly differing population sizes when STR loci were analyzed...
- A mitochondrial stratigraphy for island southeast AsiaCatherine Hill
Institute of Integrative and Comparative Biology, Faculty of Biological Sciences, University of Leeds, Leeds, LS2 9JT, UK
Am J Hum Genet 80:29-43. 2007....
- Ancient mitochondrial DNA from Malaysian hair samples: some indications of Southeast Asian population movementsFrançois X Ricaut
Leverhulme Centre for Human Evolutionary Studies, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 1QH, United Kingdom
Am J Hum Biol 18:654-67. 2006....
- Multiple invasions of the Ryukyu Archipelago by Oriental frogs of the subgenus Odorrana with phylogenetic reassessment of the related subgenera of the genus RanaMasafumi Matsui
Graduate School of Human and Environmental Studies, Kyoto University, Sakyo, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
Mol Phylogenet Evol 37:733-42. 2005..narina complex. Current subgeneric classification of Rana, at least of Southeast Asian members, requires full reassessment in the light of phylogenetic relationships...
- Molecular phylogeny of the medaka fishes genus Oryzias (Beloniformes: Adrianichthyidae) based on nuclear and mitochondrial DNA sequencesYusuke Takehana
Graduate School of Science and Technology, Niigata University, Ikarashi, Niigata 950 2181, Japan
Mol Phylogenet Evol 36:417-28. 2005..The phylogeographic pattern suggests historical vicariance between Sulawesi Island and the continental shelf...
- Where is the origin of the Japanese gamecocks?Tomoyoshi Komiyama
Center for Information Biology and DNA Data Bank of Japan, National Institute of Genetics, Mishima 411 8340, Japan
Gene 317:195-202. 2003....
- Molecular evidence of speciation between island and continental populations of Anopheles (Cellia) sundaicus (Diptera: Culicidae), a principal malaria vector taxon in Southeast AsiaIsabelle Dusfour
Institute of Research for Development, Center of Biology and Management of Populations, Montferrier sur Lez, France
J Med Entomol 41:287-95. 2004..This PCR identification method needs to be validated and adapted for the recognition of other possible species in the Sundaicus Complex...
- Genetically distinct populations in an Asian soldier-producing aphid, Pseudoregma bambucicola (Homoptera: Aphididae), identified by DNA fingerprinting and molecular phylogenetic analysisT Fukatsu
National Institute of Bioscience and Human Technology, Agency of Industrial Science and Technology, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, 305-8566, Japan
Mol Phylogenet Evol 18:423-33. 2001..structure of a soldier-producing aphid, Pseudoregma bambucicola, samples from natural populations throughout southeastern Asia were analyzed by a DNA fingerprinting technique. We unexpectedly found that P...
- Molecular phylogenetic evidence for ancient divergence of lizard taxa on either side of Wallace's LineJames A Schulte
Department of Biology, Box 1137, Washington University, St Louis, MO 63130 4899, USA
Proc Biol Sci 270:597-603. 2003....
- A molecular phylogeny of ichthyophiid caecilians (Amphibia: Gymnophiona: Ichthyophiidae): out of India or out of South East Asia?David J Gower
Department of Zoology, The Natural History Museum, London SW7 5BD, UK
Proc Biol Sci 269:1563-9. 2002..Mitochondrial DNA sequences provide evidence that should assist current problematic areas of caecilian taxonomy...
- Phylogeny, evolutionary history, and biogeography of Oriental-Australian rear-fanged water snakes (Colubroidea: Homalopsidae) inferred from mitochondrial and nuclear DNA sequencesMichael E Alfaro
School of Biological Sciences, Washington State University, Pullman, WA 99164, USA
Mol Phylogenet Evol 46:576-93. 2008..We discuss several Miocene and Pliocene paleogeographic factors that might underlie observed patterns of temporal diversification and biogeography...
- Sexual assault and disordered eating in Asian womenLareina N La Flair
Department of Mental Health, Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, USA
Harv Rev Psychiatry 16:248-57. 2008....
- The origin and age of Plasmodium vivaxOmar E Cornejo
Emory University, Program in Population Biology, Ecology and Evolution, Atlanta, GA 20322, USA
Trends Parasitol 22:558-63. 2006..We discuss how sampling might affect time estimates to the most recent common ancestor for P. vivax populations and suggest that spatially explicit estimates are needed to understand the demographic history of this parasite better...
- Phylogeography and conservation genetics of Eld's deer (Cervus eldi)Christopher N Balakrishnan
Boston University, Department of Biology, 5 Cummington Street, Boston MA 02215, USA
Mol Ecol 12:1-10. 2003..Where possible, it may be advisable to translocate individuals between isolated populations within a subspecies to maintain levels of genetic variation in remaining Eld's deer populations...
- Are food intolerances and allergies increasing in immigrant children coming from developing countries ?Francesco Cataldo
Department of Paediatrics, University of Palermo, Palermo, Italy
Pediatr Allergy Immunol 17:364-9. 2006..Sharing of dietary habits with the Italian childhood population seems to be an important environmental risk factor...
- Mitochondrial DNA variation in Chinese and Indian rhesus macaques (Macaca mulatta)David Glenn Smith
Department of Anthropology, University of California Davis, Davis, California, USA
Am J Primatol 65:1-25. 2005....
- Genetic divergence does not predict change in ornament expression among populations of stalk-eyed fliesJohn G Swallow
Department of Biology, University of South Dakota, Vermillion, SD 57069, USA
Mol Ecol 14:3787-800. 2005..Given that one population exhibited dramatic evolutionary change, selection, rather than genetic variation, appears to constrain eye span evolution...
- Effects of geographic origin on captive Macaca mulatta mitochondrial DNA variationSreetharan Kanthaswamy
Veterinary Genetics Laboratory, University of California, One Shields Avenue, Davis, California 95616, USA
Comp Med 54:193-201. 2004....
- Asian-specific mtDNA backgrounds associated with the primary G11778A mutation of Leber's hereditary optic neuropathyHerawati Sudoyo
Eijkman Institute for Molecular Biology, Jl Diponegoro 69, Jakarta 10430, Indonesia
J Hum Genet 47:594-604. 2002..The combination of A10398G and other SNPs, specific for the haplogroups J, M, or BM, might act synergistically to increase the penetrance of the LHON mutations, thus allowing their detection...
- Balinese Y-chromosome perspective on the peopling of Indonesia: genetic contributions from pre-neolithic hunter-gatherers, Austronesian farmers, and Indian tradersTatiana M Karafet
Division of Biotechnology, Biosciences West, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
Hum Biol 77:93-114. 2005..These results indicate that the Austronesian expansion had a profound effect on the composition of the Balinese paternal gene pool and that cultural transmission from India to Bali was accompanied by substantial levels of gene flow...
- Mitochondrial DNA diversity and population differentiation in southern East AsiaHui Li
MOE Key Laboratory of Contemporary Anthropology and Center for Evolutionary Biology, School of Life Sciences and Institutes of Biomedical Sciences, Fudan University, Shanghai 200433, China
Am J Phys Anthropol 134:481-8. 2007..MtDNA data of Daic, Austro-Asiatic and other populations in South China has therefore proven pivotal for studying the human history of East Asia...
- Biologic and genetic characterization of a panel of 60 human immunodeficiency virus type 1 isolates, representing clades A, B, C, D, CRF01_AE, and CRF02_AG, for the development and assessment of candidate vaccinesBruce K Brown
The Henry M Jackson Foundation, 13 Taft Court, Suite 200, Rockville, MD 20850, USA
J Virol 79:6089-101. 2005....
- Geographic and species association of hepatitis B virus genotypes in non-human primatesS E Starkman
Laboratory for Clinical and Molecular Virology, University of Edinburgh, Summerhall, Edinburgh, EH9 1QH, UK
Virology 314:381-93. 2003..These new findings have a number of implication for understanding the origins and epidemiology of HBV infection in non-human primates...
- Molecular analyses of HLA-DRB1, -DPB1, and -DQB1 in Jing ethnic minority of Southwest ChinaJing hai Lin
Department of Biochemistry, Key Laboratory of Genetic Engineering of MOE, College of Life Sciences, Sun Yatsen Zhongshan University, Guangzhou, Guangdong, People s Republic of China
Hum Immunol 64:830-4. 2003....
- HLA class II polymorphisms associated with the physiologic characteristics defined by Traditional Chinese Medicine: linking modern genetics with an ancient medicineShangwu Chen
State Key Laboratory for Biocontrol, Guangzhou Key Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Functional Genes, Department of Biochemistry, College of Life Sciences, Sun Yat Sen Zhongshan University, Guangzhou, People s Republic of China
J Altern Complement Med 13:231-9. 2007..The aim of this study was to test whether human leukocyte antigen (HLA) polymorphism contributes to the physical constitutions classified in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM)...
- Shift in Japanese encephalitis virus (JEV) genotype circulating in northern Vietnam: implications for frequent introductions of JEV from Southeast Asia to East AsiaPhan Thi Nga
Department of Virology, National Institute of Hygiene and Epidemiology, 1 Yersin Street, Hanoi, Vietnam
J Gen Virol 85:1625-31. 2004..Hence this genotype shift phenomenon may be occurring throughout all East Asia. Further studies on JEV ecology are needed to clarify the mechanism of JEV genotype 1 spread to new territories...
- Rapid evolution of postzygotic reproductive isolation in stalk-eyed fliesSarah J Christianson
Department of Biology, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland 20742, USA
Evolution 59:849-57. 2005..The likelihood that forces including sexual selection and intra- and intergenomic conflict may have contributed to these patterns is discussed...
- Intra- and interfamily relationships of Vespertilionidae inferred by various molecular markers including SINE insertion dataKuniko Kawai
Graduate School of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Tokyo Institute Technology, Midori ku, Nagatsuta cho, Yokohama, Kanagawa 226 8501, Japan
J Mol Evol 55:284-301. 2002..Our study represents the most comprehensive phylogenetic model of Vespertilionidae to date...
- Well known does not mean well studied: morphological and molecular support for existence of sibling species in the Javanese gliding frog Rhacophorus reinwardtii (Amphibia, Anura)Annemarie Ohler
Reptiles et Amphibiens, USM 0602, Département de Systématique et Evolution, Museum national d histoire naturelle, 25, rue Cuvier, 75005 Paris, France
C R Biol 329:86-97. 2006..sp. as well as of the redefined species Rhacophorus reinwardtii must be re-evaluated and, considering the new distribution data and the particular ecological demands, both species should be considered as 'endangered'...
- Exploring the meaning of separation in second-generation young South Asian women in BritainVineeta Gupta
Psychol Psychother 80:481-95. 2007..In particular, the aim was to explore issues of separation and individuation, and the meanings attributed to these concepts...
- Molecular evaluation of phylogenetic significances in the highly divergent karyotypes of the genus Gonocephalus (Reptilia: Agamidae) from tropical AsiaMasanao Honda
Tropical Biosphere Research Center, University of the Ryukyus, Nishihara, Okinawa, 903 0213 Japan
Zoolog Sci 19:129-33. 2002..Our results also suggest that the karyological similarity between G. robinsonii and several Australian agamids, pointed out in a previous study, is actually attributable to homoplasy rather than their recent common ancestry...
- High level of cryptic species diversity revealed by sympatric lineages of Southeast Asian forest frogsBryan L Stuart
Department of Zoology, The Field Museum, Chicago, IL 60605 2496, USA
Biol Lett 2:470-4. 2006..Accurate assessments of diversity and distributions are needed to mitigate extinctions of evolutionary lineages in these threatened vertebrates...
- Origin and rapid diversification of a tropical mossDennis P Wall
Department of Integrative Biology, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720, USA
Evolution 59:1413-24. 2005..Identifying the cause for this rapid diversification requires further testing, but it appears to be related to a general shift in reproductive strategy from sexual to asexual, which may be a key innovation for this young group...
- The Hong Fook experience: working with ethnocultural communities in Toronto 1982-2002Hung Tat Lo
University of Toronto, Canada
Transcult Psychiatry 42:457-77. 2005..The future for Hong Fook, and the mental health system at large, is considered. The article finishes with an outline of the philosophical basis that has sustained Hong Fook's development...
- Multilocus sequence typing of historical Burkholderia pseudomallei isolates collected in Southeast Asia from 1964 to 1967 provides insight into the epidemiology of melioidosisRoberta L McCombie
Department of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, University of Calgary Health Sciences Center, 3330 Hospital Drive N W, Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 4N1
J Clin Microbiol 44:2951-62. 2006..MLST and eBURST are useful tools for the study of population biology and epidemiology, since they provide methods to elucidate new genetic relationships among bacterial isolates...
- Molecular phylogeny and biogeography of langurs and leaf monkeys of South Asia (Primates: Colobinae)K Praveen Karanth
Centre for Ecological Sciences, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore 560012, India
Mol Phylogenet Evol 46:683-94. 2008..The phylogenetic position of capped and golden leaf monkeys is still unresolved. It is likely that this species group might have evolved due to past hybridization between Semnopithecus and Trachypithecus clades...
- Body composition and the apoB/apoA-I ratio in migrant Asian Indians and white Caucasians in CanadaJessica Smith
Mike Rosenbloom Laboratory for Cardiovascular Research, McGill University Health Centre, Royal Victoria Hospital, 687 Pine Avenue West, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A 1A1
Clin Sci (Lond) 111:201-7. 2006..It also relates differences in body fat distribution to differences in the apoB/apoA-I ratio, providing at least part of the answer as to why South Asians may be at increased risk of vascular disease...
- Drug-resistant Plasmodium falciparum infection in immigrants and non-immune travellersJ Lqbal
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, Kuwait
Clin Microbiol Infect 8:734-8. 2002..To detect the incidence of drug-resistant Plasmodium falciparum malaria infection in immigrants and travellers in non-endemic Kuwait...
- [Intestinal tuberculosis: a clinical and diagnostic challenge]T Schneider
Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Medizinische Klinik Gastroenterologie, Infektiologie und Rheumatologie
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 129:1747-52. 2004
- Aquatic modules for bioregenerative life support systems based on the C.E.B.A.S. biotechnology [correction of biotechnilogy]V Bluem
Ruhr University of Bochum, Faculty of Biology, Comparative Endocrinology Research Section and C E B A S Center of Excellence
Acta Astronaut 48:287-97. 2001..based on another aquatic plant species, the Lemnacean Wolffia arrhiza which is cultured as a vegetable in Southeastern Asia. This plant can be grown in suspension culture and several special bioreactors were developed for this ..
- Genetic variation and phylogeography of central Asian and other house mice, including a major new mitochondrial lineage in YemenE M Prager
Division of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720 3202, USA
Genetics 150:835-61. 1998..and later from south-central Asia to north-central Asia (and thence into most of northern Eurasia) and to southeastern Asia. Y chromosomes with and without an 18-bp deletion in the Zfy-2 gene were detected among mice from Iran and ..
- Reduced Y-chromosome, but not mitochondrial DNA, diversity in human populations from West New GuineaManfred Kayser
Department for Evolutionary Genetics, Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology, Leipzig, Germany
Am J Hum Genet 72:281-302. 2003..from the nonrecombining part of the human Y chromosome and were compared with 14 populations of eastern and southeastern Asia, Polynesia, and Australia...
- Overview: Japanese encephalitisUsha Kant Misra
Department of Neurology, Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Raebareily Road, Lucknow 226014, Uttar Pradesh, India
Prog Neurobiol 91:108-20. 2010..encephalitis (JE) is one of the most important endemic encephalitis in the world especially in Eastern and Southeastern Asia. JE affects over 50,000 patients and results in 15,000 deaths annually...
- Systematic review on epidemiology of gastroesophageal reflux disease in AsiaBenjamin C Y Wong
Department of Medicine, University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, Pokfulam, Hong Kong
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 4:398-407. 2006The epidemiology of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) has been a subject of much interest in recent years. This review ascertains the prevalence of GERD in eastern and southeastern Asia, and reports on complications and risk factors.
- Genetic diversity of clinical and environmental isolates of Vibrio cholerae determined by amplified fragment length polymorphism fingerprintingS C Jiang
Center of Marine Biotechnology, University of Maryland Biotechnology Institute, Baltimore, Maryland 21202, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 66:148-53. 2000Vibrio cholerae, the causative agent of major epidemics of diarrheal disease in Bangladesh, South America, Southeastern Asia, and Africa, was isolated from clinical samples and from aquatic environments during and between epidemics over ..
- Safety assessment of (-)-hydroxycitric acid and Super CitriMax, a novel calcium/potassium saltM G Soni
Burdock Group, 780 US Highway 1, Suite 300, Vero Beach, FL 32962, USA
Food Chem Toxicol 42:1513-29. 2004..HCA) is a principle constituent (10-30%) of the dried fruit rind of Garcinia cambogia, a plant native to Southeastern Asia. The dried rind has been used for centuries throughout Southeast Asia as a food preservative, flavoring ..
- [Envenoming by Malayan cobra (Naja naja sputatrix)--case report]Krzysztof Ciszowski
Klinika Toksykologii Collegium Medicum, Uniwersytetu Jagiellonskiego w Krakowie
Przegl Lek 61:421-6. 2004..This snake occurs naturally in southeastern Asia and in Poland it is kept only in the private breedings...
- Epidemiology of liver cancer: an overviewPetcharin Srivatanakul
National Cancer Institute, Rajchathewee 10400, Bangkok Thailand
Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 5:118-25. 2004..of liver cancer varies widely throughout the world, with high rates in sub - Saharan Africa, eastern and southeastern Asia, and Melanesia and a low incidence in Northern and Western Europe and the Americas...
- Body weight and abdominal fat gene expression profile in response to a novel hydroxycitric acid-based dietary supplementSashwati Roy
Laboratory of Molecular Medicine, Department of Surgery, The Ohio State University Medical Center, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Gene Expr 11:251-62. 2004..hydroxycitric acid (HCA), which exhibits a distinct sour taste and has been safely used for centuries in Southeastern Asia to make meals more filling...
- Analysis of elongation factor Tu (tuf A) of apicoplast from Indian Plasmodium vivax isolatesVishal Saxena
Biological Sciences Group, Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani, Rajasthan, India
Infect Genet Evol 7:618-26. 2007..vivax is responsible for causing greater than 50% of human malaria cases in Central and South America, Southeastern Asia and the Indian subcontinent...
- Independent histories of human Y chromosomes from Melanesia and AustraliaM Kayser
Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology, Department for Evolutionary Genetics, D 04103 Leipzig, Germany
Am J Hum Genet 68:173-190. 2001..Australian and Melanesian populations, 611 males from 18 populations from Australia, Melanesia, and eastern/southeastern Asia were typed for eight single-nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) loci and seven short tandem-repeat loci on the Y ..
- [Case of imported scrub typhus contracted in Myanmar]Yasufumi Matsumura
Department of Infectious Diseases, Kyoto City Hospital
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 83:256-60. 2009Scrub typhus is widespread in rural south and southeastern Asia and the western Pacific. The scrub typhus incidence is the highest among vector-borne diseases in Japan, but imported cases are extremely rare...
- Analysis of Epstein-Barr viral DNA load, EBV-LMP2 specific cytotoxic T-lymphocytes and levels of CD4+CD25+ T cells in patients with nasopharyngeal carcinomas positive for IgA antibody to EBV viral capsid antigenWu ning Mo
Laboratory Department, First Affiliated Hospital, Guangxi Medical University, Nanning, Guangxi, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 122:1173-8. 2009..with several malignant diseases including nasopharyngeal carcinoma (NPC), which is a common cancer in Southeastern Asia. Previous studies showed that plasma levels of EBV-DNA might be a sensitive and reliable biomarker for the ..
- Transcriptome of primary adipocytes from obese women in response to a novel hydroxycitric acid-based dietary supplementSashwati Roy
Laboratory of Molecular Medicine and the Microarray Core Facility, Department of Surgery, Davis Heart and Lung Research Institute, The Ohio State University Medical Center, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
DNA Cell Biol 26:627-39. 2007..hydroxycitric acid (HCA), which exhibits a distinct sour taste and has been safely used for centuries in Southeastern Asia to make meals more filling...
- [Bilharziasis or schistosomiasis]Dominique Richard-Lenoble
Service de Parasitologie, CHRU hôpital Bretonneau, 37044 Tours
Rev Prat 57:149-55. 2007..haematobium and S. intercalatum (Gabon, Cameroon). Given the frequent population exchanges with Southeastern Asia, schistosomiases caused by S. japonicum and S. mekongi are given more and more importance...
- [Molecular epidemiology of tuberculosis among prisoners]M Kubin
International Reference Laboratory for Mycobacteriology, Statens Seruminstitut Copenhagen, Denmark
Epidemiol Mikrobiol Imunol 52:3-8. 2003..This genotype found in a high percentage of patients in southeastern Asia and in migrants from this area was detected for the first time in the Czech Republic...
- Molecular phylogenetics of Triculine snails (Gastropoda: Pomatiopsidae) from southern ChinaFei Guan
Department of Pathogenic Biology, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, No 13 Hangkong Road, Wuhan, Hubei Province 430030, PR China
Mol Phylogenet Evol 48:702-7. 2008..involved in the transmission of schistosomiasis and paragonimiasis; their distributions are mainly across southeastern Asia and southern China...
- Feather microstructure of the black-billed magpie (Pica pica sericea) and jungle crow (Corvus macrorhynchos)Eunok Lee
United Graduate School of Agricultural Science, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology, Tokyo, Japan
J Vet Med Sci 72:1047-50. 2010The jungle crow (Corvus macrorhynchos) distribution stretches from eastern Eurasia continent to southeastern Asia. The distribution of the black-billed magpie (Pica pica sericea) stretches from Korea and China to the Kyushu area in Japan...
- Location: Its role in protein-RNA contact during trypanosome gene regulationVivian Bellofatto; Fiscal Year: 2013..are equally important to human populations in other parts of the world, including South and Central America, Southeastern Asia and the Middle East...
- Aspirin use, genetic variation in aspirin related-genes, and Hodgkin lymphoma risEllen Chang; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Diet and Risk of Ovarian CancerEllen Chang; Fiscal Year: 2005..The results of the proposed analyses will provide further understanding of the etiology of ovarian cancer. ..
- Comparative Study of Health Transitions in Later LifeMARY OFSTEDAL; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Models of Birthweight and Low BirthweightNarayan Sastry; Fiscal Year: 2004..The first is the 1997 Natality Data Set (NDS), compiled from birth certificates by the National Center for Health Statistics. The second data source is the 1988 National Maternal and Infant Health Survey (NMIHS). ..
- COMMUNITY EFFECTS ON CHILD HEALTHNarayan Sastry; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Aging, Social Interdependence and Wisdom in the U.S. and JapanRichard E Nisbett; Fiscal Year: 2010..Public Health Relevance: The research will shed light on how social relationships change with age, how the nature of social relationships influences thinking, and how certain kinds of cognition encourage wise thinking. ..
- Residential Mobility and Tracking of AdultsNarayan Sastry; Fiscal Year: 2003..Data from L.A.FANS-1 and ITS will also be used to investigate the determinants of individual residential mobility and migration among adults and the elderly and the determinants of residential turnover in Los Angeles neighborhoods. ..
- Pathogenesis of falciparum malaria in infancyPatrick Duffy; Fiscal Year: 2004..Identifying new therapies for children is an urgent public health goal, but is not a funding priority for the United States Department of Defense. ..
- MATERNAL MALARIA--PARASITE ADHESION AND ANTIBODIESPatrick Duffy; Fiscal Year: 2001..Further, the delineation of binding domains and B cell epitopes will provide the basis to design an anti-adhesion vaccine to protect primigravid and other women susceptible to placental infection with the CSA-binding parasites. ..
- Social Meanings of Drugs for Asian American YouthJuliet Lee; Fiscal Year: 2008..The proposed study addresses the aims of NIH PA-02-043, which encourages research on the social and cultural dimensions of health. ..
- Biomarkers of Stress and Health for Los Angeles ChildrenNarayan Sastry; Fiscal Year: 2008..A.FANS data will provide an important new resource for a wide range of researchers to investigate the effects of social factors on children's stress, disease, and health. ..
- Socioeconomic and Ethnic Disparities in Adult HealthNarayan Sastry; Fiscal Year: 2008..L.A.FANS-2/Adult data will publicly released as quickly as possible once fieldwork is complete, to enable a wide range of researchers to conduct research. ..
- Neighborhood and Family Effects on Stress and HealthNarayan Sastry; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Review of the Massachusetts Behavioral Health ProgramDonald Shepard; Fiscal Year: 2003..To address these objectives, this review will conduct a scientific conference, a policy conference, and produce a proceedings report and an edited journal edition. ..
- Fluoride Varnish Trial in High Caries Pre-SchoolersPhilip Weinstein; Fiscal Year: 2008..The experimental design of this study is a randomized controlled clinical trial with two treatment groups and 250 participants per group. ..
- Developing Avirulent Rabies Virus VaccinesZhen F Fu; Fiscal Year: 2010..Such characterists will make these recombinant RV vaccines particularly suitable for post-exposure treatment. ..
- Health Effects of PCB Exposure from Contaminated FishSusan L Schantz; Fiscal Year: 2010..Adolescence is a period of rapid brain growth and development, yet very little is known about the impact of exposure to chemical contaminants during this period on cognitive and behavioral function. ..
- Social Networks among Drug-Using Ethnic Minority YouthJuliet Lee; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- COLORECTAL CANCER SCREENING IN HIGH RISK INDIVIDUALSRoshan Bastani; Fiscal Year: 2001..Secondary analysis will examine the predictive value of our theoretical framework in modeling adherence behavior and psychological distress. Cost effectiveness of the intervention will also be assessed. ..
- Michigan Oral Cancer Prevention NetworkAmid Ismail; Fiscal Year: 2003..By the end of the 3rd year, or earlier, the MOPCN would be ready to plan and implement community-based intervention studies...
- International Caries Detection and Assessement SystemAmid Ismail; Fiscal Year: 2005..Finding of the workshop will be used in a second workshop, to be organized by Dr. George Stookey, which will focus on the design of caries clinical trials and new diagnostic technology. ..
- Racial Disparities in Diabetes in the US and the UKArch Mainous; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Trafficking, persistence and evolution of HIV in the CNSPeter Simmonds; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- TREATMENT FOR DUALLY DEPENDENT METHADONE PATIENTSNancy Petry; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- EBOLA VIRUS INTERFERON-ANTAGONISTS AND VIRULENCECHRISTOPHER BASLER; Fiscal Year: 2003..VP35 and VP24 may also prove to be attractive targets for new antiviral agents. Inhibition of anti-IFN factors may sensitize Ebola virus infected cells to the antiviral effects of IFN and may also enhance the effect of antiviral agents. ..
- PCBs, PBDEs, Hearing Loss & Attention/Impulsivity: Mechanistic Studies in AnimalsSusan L Schantz; Fiscal Year: 2010..As in the past, findings from these animal studies will guide the selection of outcome measures for use in the birth cohort. ..
- Lassa and Nipah Virus Interferon-AntagonistsCHRISTOPHER BASLER; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- National AAPI Substance Abuse Research InfrastructureFrank Wong; Fiscal Year: 2004..establish a substance abuse services utilization database for AAPIs; and 5. establish data for the epidemiology of substance use/abuse in the AAPI populations. ..
- Men of Asia Testing for HIV (MATH)Zhihuan Huang; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- THE UCLA CLINICAL NUTRITION RESEARCH UNITDavid Heber; Fiscal Year: 2006..The UCLA CNRU is serving as a regional and national resource at the cutting edge of nutrition and cancer prevention research...
- UCLA TRAINING PROGRAM IN NUTRITION AND OBESITYDavid Heber; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Informed Decision Making Regarding PSA ScreeningRoshan Bastani; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Health Effects of PCB Exposure from Contaminated FishSusan Schantz; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..