- Revised equations for estimated GFR from serum creatinine in Japan
Department of Nephrology, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, Nagoya, Japan
Am J Kidney Dis 53:982-92. 2009
..Our previously reported GFR-estimating equations for Japanese had limitations because all participants had a GFR less than 90 mL/min/1.73 m2 and serum creatinine was assayed in different laboratories...
- Randomized phase III study of cisplatin plus irinotecan versus carboplatin plus paclitaxel, cisplatin plus gemcitabine, and cisplatin plus vinorelbine for advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: Four-Arm Cooperative Study in Japan
Department of Internal Medicine, National Cancer Center Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Ann Oncol 18:317-23. 2007
..To compare the efficacy and toxicity of three platinum-based combination regimens against cisplatin plus irinotecan (IP) in patients with untreated advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) by a non-inferiority design...
- Diabetes mellitus and the risk of cancer: results from a large-scale population-based cohort study in Japan
Epidemiology and Prevention Division, Research Center for Cancer Prevention and Screening, National Cancer Center, Tokyo, Japan
Arch Intern Med 166:1871-7. 2006
..An association between diabetes mellitus (DM) and cancer has long been speculated, but no conclusive evidence has been obtained...
- Dietary sources of sodium in China, Japan, the United Kingdom, and the United States, women and men aged 40 to 59 years: the INTERMAP study
Cheryl A M Anderson
Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 110:736-45. 2010
..INTERMAP is an international, cross-sectional, epidemiologic study of 4, 680 individuals ages 40 to 59 years from Japan (four samples), People's Republic of China (three rural samples), the United Kingdom (two samples), and the United ..
- COPD in Japan: the Nippon COPD Epidemiology study
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Juntendo University, Tokyo, Japan
Respirology 9:458-65. 2004
..Despite high smoking rates, few prevalence studies of COPD have been performed in Asia. The Nippon COPD Epidemiology (NICE) Study used spirometry to measure prevalence of airflow limitation in Japanese adults...
- Outbreak of central nervous system disease associated with hand, foot, and mouth disease in Japan during the summer of 2000: detection and molecular epidemiology of enterovirus 71
Infectious Disease Research Division, Hyogo Prefectural Institute of Public Health and Environmental Sciences, Kobe, Japan
Microbiol Immunol 46:621-7. 2002
..the serious enterovirus 71 (EV71) infections, which affect the central nervous system (CNS), had been reported in Japan before 2000...
- A multicenter study on oncologic outcome of laparoscopic gastrectomy for early cancer in Japan
Department of Surgery I, Oita University Faculty of Medicine, Yufu, Oita, Japan
Ann Surg 245:68-72. 2007
..We conducted a retrospective, multicenter study of a large series of patients in Japan to evaluate the short- and long-term outcomes of laparoscopic gastrectomy for early gastric cancer (EGC).
- Biliary tract cancer treatment: 5,584 results from the Biliary Tract Cancer Statistics Registry from 1998 to 2004 in Japan
Department of Biliary and Pancreatic Surgery, Fujita Health University, Toyoake, Aichi, Japan
J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surg 16:1-7. 2009
..In the present study, we report here selectively summarized data as an overview of the 2006 follow-up survey of the registered cases from 1998 to 2004 for information bearing on problems with the treatment of cancer of the biliary tract...
- Genetic changes of coxsackievirus A16 and enterovirus 71 isolated from hand, foot, and mouth disease patients in Toyama, Japan between 1981 and 2007
Department of Virology, Toyama Institute of Health, Imizu shi, Toyama, Japan
Jpn J Infect Dis 62:254-9. 2009
- Prevalence and clinicoepidemiological features of moyamoya disease in Japan: findings from a nationwide epidemiological survey
Division of Epidemiology, Department of Public Health and Forensic Medicine, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, 2 1, Seiryo machi, Aoba ku, Sendai, 980 8575, Japan
Stroke 39:42-7. 2008
The objectives of the present study were to estimate an annual number of patients with moyamoya disease in Japan and to describe the clinicoepidemiological features of the disease.
- The resurgence of Shamonda virus, an African Simbu group virus of the genus Orthobunyavirus, in Japan
Kyushu Research Station, National Institute of Animal Health, 2702 Chuzan, Kagoshima 891 0105, Japan
Arch Virol 150:361-9. 2005
..biting midges and blood samples of sentinel cattle in Kagoshima and Miyazaki Prefectures, the southern part of Japan, in 2002...
- Coexistence of multiple genotypes, including newly identified genotypes, in outbreaks of gastroenteritis due to Norovirus in Japan
Department of Clinical Genomics, BML, Inc, Matoba 1361 1, Kawagoe, Saitama 350 1101, Japan
J Clin Microbiol 42:2988-95. 2004
..study, we investigated the molecular epidemiology of NV from 66 outbreaks that occurred in Saitama Prefecture, Japan, from 1997 to 2002...
- Guidelines for the management of Helicobacter pylori infection in Japan: 2009 revised edition
Department of Gastroenterology, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
Helicobacter 15:1-20. 2010
Over the past few years, the profile of Helicobacter pylori infection has changed in Japan. In particular, the relationship between H. pylori and gastric cancer has been demonstrated more clearly...
- Enterovirus 71 from fatal and nonfatal cases of hand, foot and mouth disease epidemics in Malaysia, Japan and Taiwan in 1997-1998
Department of Virology II, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, Tokyo 208 0011, Japan
Jpn J Infect Dis 52:12-5. 1999
..In 1997, in Malaysia and Japan, and in 1998 in Taiwan, there were HFMD epidemics involving sudden deaths among young children, and EV71 was ..
- Interferon therapy reduces the risk for hepatocellular carcinoma: national surveillance program of cirrhotic and noncirrhotic patients with chronic hepatitis C in Japan. IHIT Study Group. Inhibition of Hepatocarcinogenesis by Interferon Therapy
Department of Gastroenterology, University of Tokyo, Japan
Ann Intern Med 131:174-81. 1999
..Previous studies on the effect of interferon therapy on the incidence of hepatocellular carcinoma have not sufficiently assessed degree of liver fibrosis, a major risk factor for hepatocellular carcinoma...
- Association of comorbid conditions and mortality in hemodialysis patients in Europe, Japan, and the United States: the Dialysis Outcomes and Practice Patterns Study (DOPPS)
David A Goodkin
Amgen Inc, Thousand Oaks, California, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 14:3270-7. 2003
..a prospective, observational study of representative samples of hemodialysis patients in France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, the United Kingdom, and the United States (US) that captures extensive data relating to patient ..
- Prevalence of Epstein-Barr virus in Japan: trends and future prediction
Department of Pathology, Cancer Institute, Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research, Koto, Japan
Pathol Int 56:112-6. 2006
..This result suggests that the delay will affect the incidence of EBV-associated disorders in Japan.
- A randomized study of screening for ovarian cancer: a multicenter study in Japan
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Nara Medical University, Nara, Japan
Int J Gynecol Cancer 18:414-20. 2008
..2 years, in Shizuoka district, Japan. The original intention was to offer women in the intervention group annual screens by gynecological examination (..
- Studies of mortality of atomic bomb survivors. Report 13: Solid cancer and noncancer disease mortality: 1950-1997
Dale L Preston
Department of Statistics, Radiation Effects Research Foundation, Hiroshima, Japan
Radiat Res 160:381-407. 2003
..Lifetime risk summaries are used to examine uncertainties of the LSS noncancer disease findings...
- Isolation and genotyping of potentially pathogenic Acanthamoeba and Naegleria species from tap-water sources in Osaka, Japan
Division of Environmental Health, Osaka Prefectural Institute of Public Health, Osaka, Japan
Parasitol Res 105:1109-17. 2009
..free-living amoebae (FLA) in tap-water sources from rivers and water treatment plants located in Osaka Prefecture, Japan. A total of 374 raw water samples were collected from 113 sampling points...
- The shift of residents from university to non-university hospitals in Japan: a survey study
Department of Hygiene and Public Health, Teikyo University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
J Gen Intern Med 23:1105-9. 2008
Between 2003 and 2004, when the new postgraduate medical education program was introduced in Japan, the number of university residents decreased from 5,923 to 3,264 (-31%), whereas the number of non-university residents increased from 2,..
- Chronic Kidney Disease Japan Cohort (CKD-JAC) study: design and methods
Department of Nephrology, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Suita, Japan
Hypertens Res 31:1101-7. 2008
The prevalence and incidence of end-stage renal disease (ESRD) in Japan are the highest and the third highest, respectively, in the world, while the incidence of cardiac death in Japan is the lowest among developed countries...
- Dual origins of the Japanese: common ground for hunter-gatherer and farmer Y chromosomes
Michael F Hammer
Division of Biotechnology, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
J Hum Genet 51:47-58. 2006
..of Y chromosome short tandem repeat diversity indicated that haplogroups D and C began their expansions in Japan approximately 20,000 and approximately 12,000 years ago, respectively, while haplogroup O-47z began its expansion ..
- Prognostic staging system for hepatocellular carcinoma (CLIP score): its value and limitations, and a proposal for a new staging system, the Japan Integrated Staging Score (JIS score)
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Kinki University School of Medicine, 377 2 Ohno Higashi, Osaka Sayama 589 8511, Japan
J Gastroenterol 38:207-15. 2003
..In contrast, a new staging system based on the Liver Cancer Study Group of Japan (LCSGJ), the Japan Integrated Staging (JIS) score is currently proposed in Japan...
- Primary prevention of cardiovascular disease with pravastatin in Japan (MEGA Study): a prospective randomised controlled trial
Mitsukoshi Health and Welfare Foundation, Tokyo, Japan
Lancet 368:1155-63. 2006
Evidence-based treatment for hypercholesterolaemia in Japan has been hindered by the lack of direct evidence in this population...
- Baseline survey of JPHC study--design and participation rate. Japan Public Health Center-based Prospective Study on Cancer and Cardiovascular Diseases
Epidemiology and Biostatistics Division, National Cancer Center Research Institute East, Kashiwa, Chiba, Japan
J Epidemiol 11:S24-9. 2001
..These data and blood samples serve as basis for the Japan Public Health Center-based prospective Study on cancer and cardiovascular diseases (JPHC Study).
- The Japan Multi-Institutional Collaborative Cohort Study (J-MICC Study) to detect gene-environment interactions for cancer
Department of Preventive Medicine Biostatistics and Medical Decision Making, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, Nagoya, Japan
Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 8:317-23. 2007
The Japan Multi-institutional Collaborative Cohort Study (J-MICC Study) launched in 2005, supported by a research grant for Scientific Research on Special Priority Areas of Cancer from the Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, ..
- Prognosis and risk factors for idiopathic membranous nephropathy with nephrotic syndrome in Japan
First Department of Internal Medicine, Nara Medical University, Nara, Japan
Kidney Int 65:1400-7. 2004
Idiopathic membranous nephropathy (IMN) is a representative form of refractory nephrotic syndrome in Japan. Although IMN is thought to run a more benign course in Japanese than in the Caucasian population, risk factors and appropriate ..
- Genetic diversity of enterovirus 71 associated with hand, foot and mouth disease epidemics in Japan from 1983 to 2003
Department of Pediatrics, Fukushima Medical University School of Medicine, Fukushima, Japan
Pediatr Infect Dis J 25:691-4. 2006
..The surveillance data indicate that EV71 infection follows an epidemic mode of transmission, causing large outbreaks and then becoming quiescent for a few years...
- Health problems due to long working hours in Japan: working hours, workers' compensation (Karoshi), and preventive measures
Institute of Industrial Health, National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health, Nagao, Kawasaki, Japan
Ind Health 44:537-40. 2006
Late in the 1970s, serious social concern over health problems due to long working hours has arisen in Japan. This report briefly summarizes the Japanese circumstances about long working hours and what the Government has achieved so far...
- Executive summary of Japan Atherosclerosis Society (JAS) guideline for diagnosis and prevention of atherosclerotic cardiovascular diseases for Japanese
Committee for Epidemiology and Clinical Management of Atherosclerosis, Japan
J Atheroscler Thromb 14:45-50. 2007
- Changing site distribution of colorectal cancer in Japan
Department of Surgery, Kouri Hospital, Kansai Medical University, Osaka, Japan
Dis Colon Rectum 45:1249-54. 2002
..We wanted to determine whether any similar change has occurred in Japan, and where the incidence of this disease has increased sharply.
- Control of blood pressure as measured at home and office, and comparison with physicians' assessment of control among treated hypertensive patients in Japan: First Report of the Japan Home versus Office Blood Pressure Measurement Evaluation (J-HOME) study
Department of Planning for Drug Development and Clinical Evaluation, Tohoku University Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Science and Medicine, Sendai, Japan
Hypertens Res 27:755-63. 2004
The Japan Home versus Office Blood Pressure Measurement Evaluation (J-HOME) study was conducted to measure the control of blood pressure (BP) as evaluated by home BP measurement among 3,400 patients with essential hypertension (mean age: ..
- The organization and financing of end-stage renal disease treatment in Japan
Department of Epidemiology and Healthcare Research, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine and Public Health, Kyoto, Japan
Int J Health Care Finance Econ 7:217-31. 2007
..Renal transplantation is rare in Japan. In private dialysis clinics, the majority of treatment costs are paid as fixed fees per session and the rest are ..
- IFCC reference system for measurement of hemoglobin A1c in human blood and the national standardization schemes in the United States, Japan, and Sweden: a method-comparison study
Roche Diagnostics GmbH, Penzberg, Germany
Clin Chem 50:166-74. 2004
..of hemoglobin (Hb)A(1c) measurements in the US [National Glycohemoglobin Standardization Program (NGSP)], Japan [Japanese Diabetes Society (JDS)/Japanese Society of Clinical Chemistry (JSCC)], and Sweden are based on different ..
- Green tea consumption and mortality due to cardiovascular disease, cancer, and all causes in Japan: the Ohsaki study
Division of Epidemiology, Department of Public Health and Forensic Medicine, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, Sendai, Japan
JAMA 296:1255-65. 2006
..Green tea polyphenols have been extensively studied as cardiovascular disease and cancer chemopreventive agents in vitro and in animal studies. However, the effects of green tea consumption in humans remain unclear...
- Prevalence of functional dyspepsia in an outpatient clinic with primary care physicians in Japan
Department of General Medicine, Asahikawa Medical College, 2 1 1 Midorigaoka Higashi, Asahikawa 078 8510, Japan
J Gastroenterol 45:187-94. 2010
..patients with functional gastrointestinal disorders (FGID), this study was performed to clarify the prevalence of FGID, especially functional dyspepsia (FD), in new patients of an outpatient clinic with primary care physicians in Japan.
- Emerging genotypes of human respiratory syncytial virus subgroup A among patients in Japan
Department of Infectious Control and International Medicine, Niigata University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Asahimachi Dori, Niigata City, Japan
J Clin Microbiol 47:2475-82. 2009
..We report the molecular epidemiology of HRSV in Niigata, Japan, over six successive seasons (from 2001 to 2007) and the emerging genotypes of HRSV subgroup A (HRSV-A) strains...
- Characteristics of a large cohort of patients with autoimmune pulmonary alveolar proteinosis in Japan
Bioscience Medical Research Center, Niigata University Medical and Dental Hospital, 754 Ichibannchoh, Asahimachi Tohri, Niigata 951 8520, Japan
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 177:752-62. 2008
..Because PAP is rare, prior reports were based on limited patient numbers or a synthesis of historical data...
- Fish, omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, and mortality from cardiovascular diseases in a nationwide community-based cohort of Japanese men and women the JACC (Japan Collaborative Cohort Study for Evaluation of Cancer Risk) Study
Department of Public Health Medicine, Graduate School of Comprehensive Human Sciences, and Institute of Community Medicine, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Japan
J Am Coll Cardiol 52:988-96. 2008
- The BioBank Japan Project
Human Genome Center, Institute of Medical Science, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Clin Adv Hematol Oncol 5:696-7. 2007
- Discovery of novel [Arg49]phospholipase A2 isozymes from Protobothrops elegans venom and regional evolution of Crotalinae snake venom phospholipase A2 isozymes in the southwestern islands of Japan and Taiwan
Department of Applied Life Science, Faculty of Bioscience, Sojo University, 4 22 1 Ikeda, Kumamoto 860 0082, Japan
Toxicon 48:672-82. 2006
..Trimeresurus) elegans, a Crotalinae snake, inhabits Ishigaki and Iriomote islands of the Sakishima Islands of Japan which are located between Okinawa island of Japan and Taiwan...
- Chronic kidney disease perspectives in Japan and the importance of urinalysis screening
Department of Nephrology, Institute of Clinical Medicine, Graduate School of Comprehensive Human Science, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Japan
Clin Exp Nephrol 12:1-8. 2008
..In Japan, screening with the urine dip-stick test for proteinuria has been used since 1972 targeting every child and worker ..
- Cross-antigenicity among EV71 strains from different genogroups isolated in Yamagata, Japan, between 1990 and 2007
Department of Microbiology, Yamagata Prefectural Institute of Public Health, Tokamachi 1 6 6, Yamagata, 990 0031, Japan
Vaccine 27:3153-8. 2009
..six subgenogroups (B2, B4, B5, C1, C2, and C4) of enterovirus 71 (EV71) between 1990 and 2007 in Yamagata, Japan. We measured neutralizing antibody (NT Ab) titers against those subgenogroup strains and the BrCr reference strain ..
- Randomized phase III trial of platinum-doublet chemotherapy followed by gefitinib compared with continued platinum-doublet chemotherapy in Japanese patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: results of a west Japan thoracic oncology group trial (W
2 13 22 Miyakojimahondohri, Miyakojima ku, Osaka 534 0021, Japan
J Clin Oncol 28:753-60. 2010
..The exploratory subset analyses demonstrate a possible survival prolongation for sequential therapy of gefitinib, especially for patients with adenocarcinoma...
- Mental health among older adults in Japan: do sources of social support and negative interaction make a difference?
Department of Psychology, Meisei University, 2 1 1 Hodokubo, Hino City, Tokyo 191 8506, Japan
Soc Sci Med 59:2259-70. 2004
..Data for this research came from a national probability sample of 2200 persons aged 60 and over in Japan. Structural equation models were evaluated within the context of two types of social networks: (a) persons who had ..
- Is adenocarcinoma of the esophagogastric junction different between Japan and western countries? The incidence and clinicopathological features at a Japanese high-volume cancer center
Department of Gastrointestinal Surgery, Kanagawa Cancer Center, 241 0815 Nakao 1 1 2, Asahi ku, Yokohama City, Japan
World J Surg 33:95-103. 2009
..We clarified the incidence of adenocarcinoma of the esophagogastric junction (AEG) at a Japanese high-volume cancer center and its clinicopathological features between the Siewert subtypes...
- Vulcanisaeta distributa gen. nov., sp. nov., and Vulcanisaeta souniana sp. nov., novel hyperthermophilic, rod-shaped crenarchaeotes isolated from hot springs in Japan
Japan Collection of Microorganisms, RIKEN The Institute of Physical and Chemical Research, Wako Shi, Saitama
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 52:1097-104. 2002
..heterotrophic, anaerobic, hyperthermophilic crenarchaeotes were isolated from several hot spring areas in eastern Japan, and eight representative strains were characterized further...
- Quality indicators of end-of-life cancer care from the bereaved family members' perspective in Japan
Department of Adult Nursing Palliative Care Nursing, School of Health Sciences and Nursing, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
J Pain Symptom Manage 37:1019-26. 2009
..cancer care have been conducted, the bereaved family members' perspective of QIs has not been investigated in Japan. The primary aim of this study was to rate QIs for EOL cancer care from the bereaved family members' perspective ..
- Epidemiology of gastric cancer in Japan
Epidemiology and Prevention Division, Research Centre for Cancer Prevention and Screening, National Cancer Centre, 5 1 1 Tsukiji, Tokyo 104 0045, Japan
Postgrad Med J 81:419-24. 2005
Despite its decreasing trend in Japan, gastric cancer remains an important public health problem...
- Detection of Anaplasma bovis and Anaplasma phagocytophilum DNA from Haemaphysalis megaspinosa in Hokkaido, Japan
Department of Clinical Veterinary Science, Obihiro University of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine, Inada, Obihiro, Japan
Vet Parasitol 168:170-2. 2010
..flava, Ixodes ovatus and Ixodes persulcatus, collected by flagging in a pasture in Hidaka district (Hokkaido, Japan) was examined for infection with Anaplasma bovis and A. phagocytophilum by species-specific nested PCR...
- Social capital, income inequality and self-rated health in Chita peninsula, Japan: a multilevel analysis of older people in 25 communities
Mitsubishi UFJ Research and Consulting Shinagawa, Japan
Soc Sci Med 69:489-99. 2009
..this study aimed to investigate the linkage between social capital and health at the level of a small area in Japan, and also to examine whether social capital mediates the relation between income inequality and health...
- Prevalence of ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease in Japan
Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, Keio University School of Medicine, 35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo, 160 8582, Japan
J Gastroenterol 44:659-65. 2009
The prevalence of inflammatory bowel diseases is much lower in Asian countries, including Japan, than in Western countries, but it is rapidly increasing...
- Prevalence of metabolic syndrome associated with body burden levels of dioxin and related compounds among Japan's general population
Department of Preventive Medicine, Institute of Health Biosciences, The University of Tokushima Graduate School, Tokushima, Japan
Environ Health Perspect 117:568-73. 2009
..Environmental exposure to some persistent organic pollutants has been reported to be associated with a metabolic syndrome in the U.S. population...
- Gender differences in clinical confidence: a nationwide survey of resident physicians in Japan
Department of Hygiene and Public Health, Teikyo University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Acad Med 85:647-53. 2010
The number of women physicians is increasing in Japan. The authors investigated gender differences in self-perceptions of clinical confidence.
- Clinical and genetic features of familial Mediterranean fever in Japan
Departments of Medicine Neurology and Rheumatology andPediatrics, Shinshu University School of Medicine, Matsumoto and theNational Center of Neurology and Psychiatry, Tokyo, Japan
J Rheumatol 36:1671-6. 2009
Familial Mediterranean fever (FMF) is thought to be a rare disorder in Japan, and the clinical features of Japanese patients with FMF remain unclear. Our aim was to elucidate the clinical characteristics of FMF in Japanese patients.
- Quality of reports on randomized controlled trials conducted in Japan: evaluation of adherence to the CONSORT statement
Department of Health Informatics, Kyoto University School of Public Health
Intern Med 48:307-13. 2009
..We assessed the quality of current Japanese RCT reports by conducting a cross-sectional study to examine the extent to which they adhere to the CONSORT statement...
- Registry of 919 patients with thrombotic microangiopathies across Japan: database of Nara Medical University during 1998-2008
Department of Blood Transfusion Medicine, Nara Medical University, Kashihara, Japan
Intern Med 49:7-15. 2010
..Severe deficiency of plasma ADAMTS13 activity (ADAMTS13: AC) is more specific for TTP, but not for HUS. Since 1998, our laboratory has functioned as a nationwide referral center for TMAs by analyzing ADAMTS13...
- A two-year survey of the oseltamivir-resistant influenza A(H1N1) virus in Yamagata, Japan and the clinical effectiveness of oseltamivir and zanamivir
Course of Clinical Nursing, Yamagata University Faculty of Medicine, Yamagata 990 9585, Japan
Virol J 7:53. 2010
..We aimed to determine the rate of oseltamivir resistance among A(H1N1) isolates from Yamagata, Japan, to compare the virological characteristics between isolates from the 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 seasons, and to ..
- Long-term exposure to traffic-related air pollution and mortality in Shizuoka, Japan
Department of Epidemiology, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2 5 1 Shikata cho, Kita ku, Okayama City, Okayama Pref 700 8558, Japan
Occup Environ Med 67:111-7. 2010
..Therefore, we evaluated the health effects of long-term exposure to traffic-related air pollution in Shizuoka, Japan.
- Nationwide survey on complementary and alternative medicine in cancer patients in Japan
Medical Oncology Division, National Shikoku Cancer Center, Horinouchi 13, Matsuyama, 790 0007 Ehime, Japan
J Clin Oncol 23:2645-54. 2005
To determine the prevalence of use of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) by patients with cancer in Japan, and to compare the characteristics of CAM users and CAM nonusers.
- Obesity and risk of cancer in Japan
Division of Epidemiology, Department of Public Health and Forensic Medicine, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, Miyagi, Japan
Int J Cancer 113:148-57. 2005
We conducted a population-based prospective cohort study in Japan to examine the relationship between body mass index (BMI) and the risk of incidence of any cancer and of cancer at individual sites...
- Cause-specific mortality differences across socioeconomic position of municipalities in Japan, 1973-1977 and 1993-1998: increased importance of injury and suicide in inequality for ages under 75
Health Promotion International Health, Division of Public Health, Graduate School of Tokyo Medical and Dental University, 1 5 45 Yushima, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8519, Japan
Int J Epidemiol 34:100-9. 2005
..This study examined socioeconomic inequality in regional mortality and the impact on inequality by cause of deaths in 1973-1977 and 1993-1998 using municipal statistics in Japan.
- Change in the prevalence of extended-spectrum-beta-lactamase-producing Escherichia coli in Japan by clonal spread
Department of Bacterial Pathogenesis and Infection Control, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, 4 7 1 Musashi murayama, Tokyo 208 0011
J Antimicrob Chemother 63:72-9. 2009
In the early 2000s, there was a rapid increase in extended-spectrum beta-lactamase (ESBL)-producing Escherichia coli in hospital settings throughout Japan. The reasons for this rapid increase are unclear.
- The relationship between green tea and total caffeine intake and risk for self-reported type 2 diabetes among Japanese adults
Public Health, Department of Social and Environmental Health, Osaka University and Osaka City University, Suita Shi, Osaka, Japan
Ann Intern Med 144:554-62. 2006
..In western populations, coffee consumption is associated with a reduced risk for type 2 diabetes; however, the effect of green, black, and oolong teas is unclear...
- Gastric cancer treatment guidelines in Japan
Cancer Institute Hospital, 1 37 1 Kamiikebukuro, Toshima ku, Tokyo 170 8455, Japan
Gastric Cancer 5:1-5. 2002
..The Japan Gastric Cancer Association issued the first edition of Gastric cancer treatment guidelines in March, 2001 to ..
- Nationwide public-access defibrillation in Japan
Kyoto University Health Service, Kyoto, Japan
N Engl J Med 362:994-1004. 2010
..It is unclear whether dissemination of automated external defibrillators (AEDs) in public places can improve the rate of survival among patients who have had an out-of-hospital cardiac arrest...
- Estimating an EQ-5D population value set: the case of Japan
School of Health and Related Research, University of Sheffield, UK
Health Econ 11:341-53. 2002
..The objectives of this study are (a) to compare the valuations obtained in Japan and Britain, and (b) to explore a local Japanese value set...
- Sporadic acute or fulminant hepatitis E in Hokkaido, Japan, may be food-borne, as suggested by the presence of hepatitis E virus in pig liver as food
Center for Gastroenterology, Kobayashi Hospital, Hokkaido 090 8567, Japan
J Gen Virol 84:2351-7. 2003
Among ten patients who contracted sporadic acute or fulminant hepatitis E between 2001 and 2002 in Hokkaido, Japan, nine (90 %) had a history of consuming grilled or undercooked pig liver 2-8 weeks before the disease onset...
- Isolation of bovine arboviruses from Culicoides biting midges (Diptera: Ceratopogonidae) in southern Japan: 1985--2002
Kyushu Research Station, National Institute of Animal Health, Chuzan, Kagoshima, 891 0105 Japan
J Med Entomol 42:63-7. 2005
..for bovine arboviruses was conducted in Kagoshima, located in the most southern part of the main islands of Japan and known to be an area where bovine arboviral diseases have frequently been epidemic...
- Randomized trial of adjuvant chemotherapy with mitomycin, Fluorouracil, and Cytosine arabinoside followed by oral Fluorouracil in serosa-negative gastric cancer: Japan Clinical Oncology Group 9206-1
Department of Surgery, Niigata Cancer Center Hospital, 2 15 3 Kawagishicho, Niigata 951 8566, Japan
J Clin Oncol 21:2282-7. 2003
..of adjuvant chemotherapy after curative resection in serosa-negative gastric cancer patients (excluding patients who were T1N0), we conducted a multicenter phase III clinical trial in which 13 cancer centers in Japan participated.
- Frequent importation of enterovirus 71 from surrounding countries into the local community of Yamagata, Japan, between 1998 and 2003
Department of Microbiology, Yamagata Prefectural Institute of Public Health, Tokamachi 1 6 6, Yamagata, 990 0031 Japan
J Clin Microbiol 43:6171-5. 2005
Phylogenetic analysis of 45 enterovirus 71 (EV71) isolates for 6 years in Yamagata, Japan, clarified that the annual outbreak of hand-foot-and-mouth disease was due to four genetically distinct subgenogroups, including a novel "B5...
- Adiponectin as a biomarker of the metabolic syndrome
Department of Internal Medicine and Molecular Science, Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka University, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Circ J 68:975-81. 2004
..Adiponectin is an adipose-derived plasma protein with anti-atherogenic and insulin-sensitizing activities...
- Analysis of northern distribution of Aedes albopictus (Diptera: Culicidae) in Japan by geographical information system
Department of Medical Entomology, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, Tokyo, Japan
J Med Entomol 39:4-11. 2002
Aedes albopictus (Skuse), a mosquito vector of the dengue fever virus, is prevalent in Japan, distributed widely in Honshu Island with its northern limits between latitude 38 degrees to 40 degrees north...
- Dermatitis herpetiformis in Japan: an update
Department of Dermatology, Tokyo Kousei Nenkin Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Dermatology 204:37-42. 2002
..We encountered a Japanese case of DH which showed granular IgA and C3 deposits in the papillary dermis and which was associated with gluten-sensitive enteropathy but no HLA-B8/DR3/DQ2...
- Epidemiology of sarcoidosis in Japan
Dept of Internal Medicine, Division of Pulmonary Medicine, Nippon Medical School, 1 1 5 Sendagi, Bunkyouku, Tokyo, Japan
Eur Respir J 31:372-9. 2008
..phenotypes using the National Epidemiological Survey and to compare findings with those of previous surveys in Japan. Pathologically confirmed sarcoidosis cases newly diagnosed in 2004 were eligible for the present study...
- Fruit and vegetable intake and risk of total cancer and cardiovascular disease: Japan Public Health Center-Based Prospective Study
Department of Clinical Epidemiology, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, Sendai, Japan
Am J Epidemiol 167:59-70. 2008
..16) for vegetables. This prospective cohort study demonstrated that, in the Japanese population, consumption of fruit is associated with lower risk of CVD, whereas fruit or vegetables may not be associated with lower risk of total cancer...
- A randomized study with or without intensified maintenance chemotherapy in patients with acute promyelocytic leukemia who have become negative for PML-RARalpha transcript after consolidation therapy: the Japan Adult Leukemia Study Group (JALSG) APL97 stud
Department of Hematology, Kumamoto University School of Medicine, Kumamoto, Japan
Blood 110:59-66. 2007
- Twenty-year changes in the prevalence of overweight in Japanese adults: the National Nutrition Survey 1976-95
National Institute of Health and Nutrition, Tokyo, Japan
Obes Rev 3:183-90. 2002
..Cross-sectional annual nationwide surveys (National Nutrition Survey, Japan) were carried out with a large probability sample of the Japanese population...
- Randomized trial of intraarterial infusion of urokinase within 6 hours of middle cerebral artery stroke: the middle cerebral artery embolism local fibrinolytic intervention trial (MELT) Japan
Iwate Medical University School of Medicine, Morioka, Japan
Stroke 38:2633-9. 2007
The Middle Cerebral Artery Embolism Local Fibrinolytic Intervention Trial (MELT) Japan was organized to determine the safety and clinical efficacy of intraarterial infusion of urokinase (UK) in patients with stroke within 6 hours of onset.
- Metabolic syndrome and chronic kidney disease in Okinawa, Japan
Tomishiro Chuo Hospital and Dialysis Unit, University Hospital of the Ryukyus, Okinawa, Japan
Kidney Int 69:369-74. 2006
We assessed the prevalence of chronic kidney disease (CKD) in a hospital-based screening program in Okinawa, Japan. The significance of metabolic syndrome as a determinant of CKD was examined using multivariate logistic regression ..
- Scrub typhus in Japan: epidemiology and clinical features of cases reported in 1998
Department of Virology I, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, Tokyo, Japan
Am J Trop Med Hyg 67:162-5. 2002
Surveillance for scrub typhus was conducted in Japan in 1998 using a questionnaire. A total of 462 cases were reported...
- Patterns of complementary and alternative medicine use amongst outpatients in Tokyo, Japan
Department of Urology, West Suffolk Hospital, Bury St, Edmunds, UK
BMC Complement Altern Med 8:14. 2008
..the patterns of CAM use, perceived effectiveness and disclosure of CAM use to orthodox medical practitioners amongst patients attending typical primary and secondary care clinics in a busy district general hospital in Tokyo, Japan.
- Noncancer disease incidence in atomic bomb survivors, 1958-1998
Department of Clinical Studies, Radiation Effects Research Foundation, Hiroshima, Japan
Radiat Res 161:622-32. 2004
..These results attest to the need for continued follow-up of the aging A-bomb survivors to fully elucidate the effects of radiation exposure on the occurrence of noncancer diseases...
- Economic recession and health inequalities in Japan: analysis with a national sample, 1986-2001
Department of Society, Human Development, and Health, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
J Epidemiol Community Health 62:869-75. 2008
Little is known about whether economic crises widen health inequalities. Japan experienced more than 10 years of economic recession beginning in the 1990s...
- Amphibian chytridiomycosis in Japan: distribution, haplotypes and possible route of entry into Japan
National Institute for Environmental Studies, 16 2 Onogawa, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8506, Japan
Mol Ecol 18:4757-74. 2009
A serious disease of amphibians caused by the chytrid fungus Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis was first found in Japan in December 2006 in imported pet frogs. This was the first report of chytridiomycosis in Asia...
- Trends in the incidence, mortality, and survival rate of cardiovascular disease in a Japanese community: the Hisayama study
Department of Medicine and Clinical Science, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Maidashi 3 1 1, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Stroke 34:2349-54. 2003
The slowdown of a steeply declining trend in cardiovascular mortality has been reported in Japan, but precise reasons for this trend are uncertain.
- Clinical investigation in highly disease-affected rheumatoid arthritis patients in Japan with adalimumab applying standard and general evaluation: the CHANGE study
Department of Medicine and Rheumatology, Graduate School of Tokyo Medical and Dental University, 1 5 45 Yushima, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, Japan
Mod Rheumatol 18:252-62. 2008
..These results and comparable ACR20 responses in Western patients support adalimumab 40 mg every other week as the appropriate dosage to treat RA in Japanese patients...
- History of influenza vaccination programs in Japan
Department of Public Health, Osaka City University Faculty of Medicine, 1 4 3 Asahi machi, Osaka 545 8585, Japan
Vaccine 26:6451-4. 2008
..The present symposium, as part of the 9th Annual Meeting of the Japanese Society for Vaccinology in 2005, was planned to further introduce epidemiological concepts useful in studying influenza vaccine efficacy...
- Emergence of H274Y oseltamivir-resistant A(H1N1) influenza viruses in Japan during the 2008-2009 season
Division of Public Health, Department of Infectious Disease Control and International Medicine, Niigata University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, 1 757 Asahimachi dori, Chuoku, Niigata City, Niigata Prefecture 951 8510, Japan
J Clin Virol 47:23-8. 2010
..A substantial increase in oseltamivir-resistant A(H1N1) influenza viruses was reported in Europe in late 2007...
- An epidemiological survey of overactive bladder symptoms in Japan
Department of Urology, Japan Red Cross Medical Center, Tokyo, Japan
BJU Int 96:1314-8. 2005
..survey of lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) to determine the prevalence of overactive bladder (OAB) symptoms (defined as a symptom complex of daily urinary frequency of eight or more times and urgency once or more per week) in Japan.
- Bacillus cereus nosocomial infection from reused towels in Japan
Division of Bacteriology, Department of Infectious Disease Control and International Medicine, Niigata University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Niigata, Japan
J Hosp Infect 69:361-7. 2008
..within a hospital, with genotypes, antibiotic susceptibilities and virulence gene patterns generally distinct from those of food poisoning, and that in Japan, towels are an important source of contamination, especially in summer.
- Bovine epizootic encephalomyelitis caused by Akabane virus in southern Japan
Kumamoto Central Livestock Hygiene Service Center, Shimomashiki, Kumamoto 861 3205, Japan
BMC Vet Res 4:20. 2008
..A first large-scale epidemic of Akabane viral encephalomyelitis in cattle occurred in the southern part of Japan from summer to autumn in 2006...
- Contact lens-induced infectious keratitis in Japan
Department of Ophthalmology, Juntendo University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Eye Contact Lens 33:65-9. 2007
..To identify microbiologic characteristics of infectious keratitis associated with contact lenses...
- Ambulatory arterial stiffness index and 24-hour ambulatory pulse pressure as predictors of mortality in Ohasama, Japan
Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine and Pharmaceutical Science, 1 1 Seiryomachi, Sendai, Japan
Stroke 38:1161-6. 2007
..We investigated the prognostic value of AASI and PP in relation to fatal outcomes...
- Mortality among hemodialysis patients in Europe, Japan, and the United States: case-mix effects
David A Goodkin
University Renal Research and Education Association, Ann Arbor, MI 48103, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 44:16-21. 2004
- Population structure dynamics of Mycobacterium tuberculosis Beijing strains during past decades in Japan
Department of Microbiology, Kobe Institute of Health, Kobe, Japan
J Clin Microbiol 47:3340-3. 2009
..the population structures of the Mycobacterium tuberculosis Beijing family between different birth-year cohorts in Japan. The results revealed that the spread of a modern sublineage that has high transmissibility is currently ..
- Human T-lymphotropic virus type 1 (HTLV-1) genetic typing in Kakeroma Island, an island at the crossroads of the ryukyuans and Wajin in Japan, providing further insights into the origin of the virus in Japan
Department of International Health, Institute of Tropical Medicine, The Global Center of Excellence, Nagasaki University, Japan
J Med Virol 81:1450-6. 2009
..samples were collected from 23 human T-lymphotropic virus type-1 (HTLV-1) carriers residing in Kakeroma Island, Japan (Kagoshima Prefecture, Oshima County, Setouchi Town), one of the most highly endemic areas in Japan...
- Healthy lifestyle and preventable death: findings from the Japan Collaborative Cohort (JACC) Study
Department of Public Health, Aichi Medical University School of Medicine, Aichi, Japan
Prev Med 48:486-92. 2009
..To evaluate the effect of baseline combination of 6 lifestyle factors on all-cause mortality...
- High throughput screening of 16 million serologically negative blood donors for hepatitis B virus, hepatitis C virus and human immunodeficiency virus type-1 by nucleic acid amplification testing with specific and sensitive multiplex reagent in Japan
Japanese Red Cross Center for NAT and Quarantine, 1 31 1, Osadano, Fukuchiyama, 620 0853, Kyoto, Japan
J Virol Methods 112:145-51. 2003
..This is the first automated integrated system for prevention of transfusion transmitted HBV, HCV and HIV-1 infections, by NAT screening...
- Low health-related quality of life is associated with all-cause mortality in patients with diabetes on haemodialysis: the Japan Dialysis Outcomes and Practice Pattern Study
Department of Epidemiology and Healthcare Research, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto, Japan 606 8501
Diabet Med 26:921-7. 2009
..We investigated the impact of HRQoL on mortality risk in patients with diabetes on haemodialysis...