Genomes and Genes
Summary: The former British crown colony located off the southeast coast of China, comprised of Hong Kong Island, Kowloon Peninsula, and New Territories. The three sites were ceded to the British by the Chinese respectively in 1841, 1860, and 1898. Hong Kong reverted to China in July 1997. The name represents the Cantonese pronunciation of the Chinese xianggang, fragrant port, from xiang, perfume and gang, port or harbor, with reference to its currents sweetened by fresh water from a river west of it.
Publications375 found, 100 shown here
- Evidence for recombination in natural populations of porcine circovirus type 2 in Hong Kong and mainland ChinaChing Man Ma
Department of Zoology, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR
J Gen Virol 88:1733-7. 2007..In this study, phylogenetic analyses of three complete PCV2 genomic sequences from Hong Kong suggest that natural recombination happened among different lineages of PCV2...
- Treatment results for nasopharyngeal carcinoma in the modern era: the Hong Kong experienceAnne W M Lee
Department of Clinical Oncology, Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital, 3 Lok Man Road, Chai Wan, Hong Kong, China
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 61:1107-16. 2005..To analyze the treatment results achievable for nasopharyngeal carcinoma in the modern era to identify the key failures for future improvement and to provide an updated baseline for future trials...
- Treatment of nasopharyngeal carcinoma with intensity-modulated radiotherapy: the Hong Kong experienceMichael K M Kam
Clinical Oncology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, Hong Kong SAR, China
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 60:1440-50. 2004..To evaluate the efficacy of using intensity-modulated radiotherapy (IMRT) in the primary treatment of nasopharyngeal carcinoma (NPC), including the role of dose escalation above 66 Gy level...
- Transmission dynamics and control of severe acute respiratory syndromeMarc Lipsitch
Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, 677 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Science 300:1966-70. 2003..Public-health efforts to reduce transmission are expected to have a substantial impact on reducing the size of the epidemic...
- Conceptual framework underlying the development of a positive youth development program in Hong KongDaniel T L Shek
Social Welfare Practice and Research Centre, Department of Social Work, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin
Int J Adolesc Med Health 18:303-14. 2006The conceptual framework governing the development of a positive youth development program in Hong Kong is outlined...
- Molecular basis for high virulence of Hong Kong H5N1 influenza A virusesM Hatta
Department of Pathobiological Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2015 Linden Drive, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Science 293:1840-2. 2001In 1997, an H5N1 influenza A virus was transmitted from birds to humans in Hong Kong, killing 6 of the 18 people infected. When mice were infected with the human isolates, two virulence groups became apparent...
- Different epidemic curves for severe acute respiratory syndrome reveal similar impacts of control measuresJacco Wallinga
National Institute for Public Health and the Environment, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Am J Epidemiol 160:509-16. 2004..were obtained by applying this estimation procedure to available data for SARS outbreaks that occurred in Hong Kong, Vietnam, Singapore, and Canada in 2003...
- Prevalence of very mild and mild dementia in community-dwelling older Chinese people in Hong KongLinda C W Lam
Department of Psychiatry, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, New Territories, Hong Kong SAR, The People s Republic of China
Int Psychogeriatr 20:135-48. 2008In this report, the results of a household survey were used to examine the prevalence of very mild and mild dementia in Chinese older persons in Hong Kong.
- Adolescent developmental issues in Hong Kong: Relevance to positive youth development programs in Hong KongDaniel T L Shek
Social Welfare Practice and Research Centre, Department of Social Work, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin
Int J Adolesc Med Health 18:341-54. 2006Several adolescent developmental issues and problems in Hong Kong are examined in this paper. First, the changing adolescent substance abuse patterns are described...
- Identification of molecular markers and signaling pathway in endometrial cancer in Hong Kong Chinese women by genome-wide gene expression profilingY F Wong
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, NT, Hong Kong
Oncogene 26:1971-82. 2007..is the third most common gynecologic malignancy and the ninth most common malignancy for females overall in Hong Kong. Approximately 80% or more of these cancers are endometrioid endometrial adenocarcinomas...
- Air pollution and hospital admissions for respiratory and cardiovascular diseases in Hong KongT W Wong
Department of Community and Family Medicine, Chinese University of Hong Kong
Occup Environ Med 56:679-83. 1999To investigate short term effects of concentrations of pollutants in ambient air on hospital admissions for cardiovascular and respiratory diseases in Hong Kong.
- Incidence of rotavirus diarrhea and intussusception in Hong Kong using standardized hospital discharge dataE A S Nelson
Department of Paediatrics, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, Hong Kong SAR, People s Republic of China
Pediatr Infect Dis J 21:701-3. 2002Incidence for rotavirus and intussusception was estimated from standardized discharge data for all Hong Kong government hospitals (1997 to 1999). Intussusception incidence in infants (78 to 100 of 100,000) was relatively high...
- A low socio-economic status is an additional risk factor for glucose intolerance in high risk Hong Kong ChineseG T Ko
Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, NT, PR China
Eur J Epidemiol 17:289-95. 2001To examine whether a low socio-economic status (SES) is an additional risk factor for glucose intolerance in Hong Kong Chinese with known risk factors for glucose intolerance, a total of 2847 Chinese subjects (473 men and 2374 women) ..
- Diurnal temperature range and daily cardiovascular mortalities among the elderly in Hong KongWilson W S Tam
Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, HKSAR
Arch Environ Occup Health 64:202-6. 2009..range (DTR) and daily mortalities due to cardiovascular disease among people aged 65 years and older in Hong Kong, China...
- Multinational impact of the 1968 Hong Kong influenza pandemic: evidence for a smoldering pandemicCecile Viboud
Fogarty International Center, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Infect Dis 192:233-48. 2005..We further explored the global pattern of mortality caused by the pandemic during this period...
- Reemerging H5N1 influenza viruses in Hong Kong in 2002 are highly pathogenic to ducksKatharine M Sturm-Ramirez
Division of Virology, Department of Infectious Diseases, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee 38105 2794, USA
J Virol 78:4892-901. 2004..H5N1 influenza virus caused deaths among wild migratory birds and resident waterfowl, including ducks, in two Hong Kong parks...
- Influenza-related hospitalizations among children in Hong KongSusan S Chiu
Department of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
N Engl J Med 347:2097-103. 2002..In Hong Kong, China, the influenza and RSV infection seasons sometimes do not overlap, thus providing an opportunity to ..
- Children with respiratory disease associated with metapneumovirus in Hong KongJ S Malik Peiris
The University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong SAR, China
Emerg Infect Dis 9:628-33. 2003..HMPV viral activity peaked during the spring-summer period in Hong Kong. Phylogenetically, all HMPV virus strains from Hong Kong belonged to one of the two genetic lineages previously ..
- Novel lineage of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, Hong KongLuca Guardabassi
University of Copenhagen, Frederiksberg C, Denmark
Emerg Infect Dis 15:1998-2000. 2009..Staphylococcus aureus in pigs belonged to sequence type (ST) 398, we analyzed nasal swabs from pig carcasses at Hong Kong markets in 2008...
- Development and validation of an all-cause mortality risk score in type 2 diabetesXilin Yang
Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, Prince of Wales Hospital, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, Hong Kong SAR, China
Arch Intern Med 168:451-7. 2008..Diabetes reduces life expectancy by 10 to 12 years, but whether death can be predicted in type 2 diabetes mellitus remains uncertain...
- Virologically confirmed population-based burden of hospitalization caused by influenza A and B among children in Hong KongSusan S Chiu
Department of Paediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, The University of Hong Kong
Clin Infect Dis 49:1016-21. 2009We sought to determine the virologically confirmed hospitalization rates associated with influenza virus infection among Hong Kong children.
- Risk factors for defaulting from anti-tuberculosis treatment under directly observed treatment in Hong KongK C Chang
TB and Chest Service, Department of Health, Hong Kong
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 8:1492-8. 2004..To identify risk factors for defaulting from anti-tuberculosis treatment...
- Quasispecies of the D225G substitution in the hemagglutinin of pandemic influenza A(H1N1) 2009 virus from patients with severe disease in Hong Kong, ChinaHonglin Chen
State Key Laboratory for Emerging Infectious Diseases, University of Hong Kong, China
J Infect Dis 201:1517-21. 2010..the receptor-binding site in the hemagglutinin of pandemic H1N1 2009 virus from 117 clinical specimens in Hong Kong found the D225G substitution for 7 (12...
- Characterization of avian influenza viruses A (H5N1) from wild birds, Hong Kong, 2004-2008Gavin J D Smith
State Key Laboratory of Emerging Infectious Diseases The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, People s Republic of China
Emerg Infect Dis 15:402-7. 2009From January 2004 through June 2008, surveillance of dead wild birds in Hong Kong, People's Republic of China, periodically detected highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) viruses (H5N1) in individual birds from different species...
- Impact of obesity and body fat distribution on cardiovascular risk factors in Hong Kong ChineseG Neil Thomas
Department of Community Medicine, University of Hong Kong, 21 Sassoon Road, Pokfulam, Hong Kong
Obes Res 12:1805-13. 2004..We report the relative associations between general and central obesity and risk factors in 2893 Chinese subjects recruited from the Hong Kong population.
- Clinical and molecular epidemiology of human bocavirus in respiratory and fecal samples from children in Hong KongSusanna K P Lau
State Key Laboratory of Emerging Infectious Diseases, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
J Infect Dis 196:986-93. 2007..We conducted the first systematic prospective clinical and molecular study using nasopharyngeal aspirates (NPAs) and fecal samples...
- Contact examination for tuberculosis in Hong Kong is usefulK Noertjojo
Department of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 6:19-24. 2002The tuberculosis programme of the Hong Kong Government Tuberculosis and Chest Service.
- Gastrointestinal stromal tumors in a cohort of Chinese patients in Hong KongKam Hoi Chan
Department of Medicine, Yan Chai Hospital, Tsuen Wan, Hong Kong SAR, China
World J Gastroenterol 12:2223-8. 2006To investigate the prevalence and clinical pattern of gastrointestinal stromal tumors (GISTs) in Hong Kong Chinese, and to assess the impact of introduction of CD117 on the disease incidence.
- Prospective comparison of three predictive rules for assessing severity of community-acquired pneumonia in Hong KongShin Yan Man
Accident and Emergency Medicine Academic Unit, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Trauma and Emergency Centre, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, NT, Hong Kong
Thorax 62:348-53. 2007Community-acquired pneumonia (CAP) is a leading infectious cause of death throughout the world, including Hong Kong.
- Tuberculosis in older people: a retrospective and comparative study from Hong KongChi C Leung
Tuberculosis and Chest Service, Department of Health, Hong Kong, China
J Am Geriatr Soc 50:1219-26. 2002..To compare tuberculosis (TB) in older and younger patients...
- Associations of polymorphisms in the apolipoprotein A1/C3/A4/A5 gene cluster with familial combined hyperlipidaemia in Hong Kong ChineseZhi Kai Liu
Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, Hong Kong, SAR, China
Atherosclerosis 208:427-32. 2010..We examined these associations with FCH in Hong Kong Chinese.
- Feeding and oral hygiene habits of preschool children in Hong Kong and their caregivers' dental knowledge and attitudesS C L Chan
Tang Shiu Kin Dental Therapist Training School, MacLehose Dental Centre, Hong Kong SAR, People s Republic of China
Int J Paediatr Dent 12:322-31. 2002This study was designed to gather data on infant feeding habits and oral hygiene practices of Hong Kong preschool children, on the dental knowledge and attitudes of their caregivers and on the oral health status of the same group of ..
- Seasonal influenza activity in Hong Kong and its association with meteorological variationsPaul K S Chan
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, China
J Med Virol 81:1797-806. 2009..This study documented the activity of influenza over a 10-year period in Hong Kong; examining its association with changes in temperature and relative humidity...
- Optimizing use of multistream influenza sentinel surveillance dataEric H Y Lau
University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, People s Republic of China
Emerg Infect Dis 14:1154-7. 2008We applied time-series methods to multivariate sentinel surveillance data recorded in Hong Kong during 1998-2007...
- Childhood obesity, gender, actual-ideal body image discrepancies, and physical self-concept in Hong Kong children: cultural differences in the value of moderationHerbert W Marsh
Department of Educational Studies, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
Dev Psychol 43:647-62. 2007..The results reflect stronger Chinese cultural values of moderation and acceptance of obesity than in Western culture and have implications for social and educational policy in China...
- Detection and characterization of extended-spectrum beta-lactamases among bloodstream isolates of Enterobacter spp. in Hong Kong, 2000-2002P L Ho
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Microbiology and Centre of Infection, United Christian Hospital, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, China
J Antimicrob Chemother 55:326-32. 2005A total of 139 consecutive and non-duplicate bloodstream isolates of Enterobacter spp. collected from inpatients in Hong Kong during 2000-2002 were studied for production of extended-spectrum beta-lactamases (ESBLs).
- Metal contamination in urban, suburban, and country park soils of Hong Kong: a study based on GIS and multivariate statisticsCeline Siu Lan Lee
Department of Civil and Structural Engineering, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Sci Total Environ 356:45-61. 2006..An extensive survey was conducted in the highly urbanised and commercialised Hong Kong Island area (80...
- Lung cancer susceptibility and polymorphisms of glutathione-S-transferase genes in Hong KongMoira Chan-Yeung
Department of Medicine, Queen Mary Hospital, The University of Hong Kong, SAR, PR China
Lung Cancer 45:155-60. 2004To study the potential role of genetic polymorphisms of glutathione-S-transferases GSTM1, GSTT1 and GSTP1 in susceptibility to lung cancer in Hong Kong Chinese.
- Universal antenatal human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) testing programme is cost-effective despite a low HIV prevalence in Hong KongP M Lee
Red Ribbon Centre, Public Health Services Branch, Centre for Health Protection, Department of Health, Hong Kong
Hong Kong Med J 13:199-207. 2007To evaluate the cost-effectiveness of universal antenatal human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) testing in Hong Kong.
- Dysregulated microRNAs and their predicted targets associated with endometrioid endometrial adenocarcinoma in Hong Kong womenTony K H Chung
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, NT, Hong Kong
Int J Cancer 124:1358-65. 2009..This work provides a framework on which further research into novel diagnosis and treatment of EEC can be focused...
- Lung metastasis alone in nasopharyngeal carcinoma: a relatively favorable prognostic group. A study by the Hong Kong Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma Study GroupEdwin P Hui
Department of Clinical Oncology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Hong Kong
Cancer 101:300-6. 2004..The current study was conducted to examine the pattern and the predictive factors of distant metastases (DM) in patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma (NPC) after primary radiotherapy treatment...
- Suicidality in Chinese adolescents in Hong Kong: the role of family and cultural influencesWincy S C Chan
HKJC Centre for Suicide Research and Prevention, University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong SAR
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 44:278-84. 2009..Previous studies focused solely on the medical and environmental risk factors, which were insufficient to give a holistic picture of adolescent suicidality...
- Carbon monoxide poisoning as a new method of suicide in Hong KongW S Chung
Department of Psychiatry, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Princes of Wales Hospital, Hong Kong, China
Psychiatr Serv 52:836-7. 2001The incidence in Hong Kong of intentional carbon monoxide poisonings by burning charcoal in a confined space was investigated...
- Reliability of pubertal self-assessment in Hong Kong Chinese childrenNoel P T Chan
The Nethersole School of Nursing, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, China
J Paediatr Child Health 44:353-8. 2008..To validate a Tanner stages self-assessment questionnaire using gender-specific line drawings and brief explanatory text in Chinese...
- Incidence and risk factors for microbial keratitis in Hong Kong: comparison with Europe and North AmericaD S C Lam
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Prince of Wales and Hong Kong Eye Hospitals, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, People s Republic of China
Eye (Lond) 16:608-18. 2002To establish the incidence, etiology and risk factors for microbial keratitis (MK) in Hong Kong.
- A prevalence study of suicide ideation among older adults in Hong Kong SARPaul S F Yip
The Hong Kong Jockey Club Centre for Suicide Research and Prevention, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 18:1056-62. 2003The objective of this paper is to ascertain estimates of the prevalence, and associated risk factors for, suicidal ideation among community-dwelling older adults in Hong Kong.
- Metabolic syndrome predicts new onset of chronic kidney disease in 5,829 patients with type 2 diabetes: a 5-year prospective analysis of the Hong Kong Diabetes RegistryAndrea O Y Luk
Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, The Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong, China
Diabetes Care 31:2357-61. 2008..We examined risk associations of metabolic syndrome with new onset of chronic kidney disease (CKD) in 5,829 Chinese patients with type 2 diabetes enrolled between 1995 and 2005...
- Sleep-disordered breathing and continuous positive airway pressure compliance in a group of commercial bus drivers in Hong KongDavid S C Hui
Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong, China
Respirology 11:723-30. 2006..Sleep-disordered breathing may predispose drivers to road traffic accidents. However, CPAP acceptance and compliance among commercial bus drivers is unknown...
- Chest radiograph screening for tuberculosis in a Hong Kong prisonC C Leung
Department of Health, TB and Chest Service, 4 F Shaukiwan Jockey Club Clinic, Hong Kong, SAR, China
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 9:627-32. 2005Long-stay prisoners are not regularly screened for TB in Hong Kong.
- Mortality and smoking in Hong Kong: case-control study of all adult deaths in 1998T H Lam
Department of Community Medicine, University of Hong Kong, Patrick Manson Building South Wing, 7 Sassoon Road, Hong Kong
BMJ 323:361. 2001To assess the mortality currently associated with smoking in Hong Kong, and, since cigarette consumption reached its peak 20 years earlier in Hong Kong than in mainland China, to predict mortality in China 20 years hence.
- Assessing disease burden of respiratory disorders in Hong Kong children with hospital discharge data and linked laboratory dataEdmund A S Nelson
Department of Paediatrics, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, Hong Kong
Hong Kong Med J 13:114-21. 2007To describe the pattern of respiratory disorders in the Hong Kong paediatric population admitted to government hospitals, and to assess the reliability of the diagnoses by linkage with laboratory data.
- Prediction of hypertension, diabetes, dyslipidaemia or albuminuria using simple anthropometric indexes in Hong Kong ChineseG T Ko
Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, Hong Kong
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 23:1136-42. 1999..In this analysis, we aimed to assess which anthropometric cutoff values are best at predicting the likelihood of diabetes, hypertension, dyslipidaemia and albuminuria in Hong Kong Chinese.
- Parent-reported adverse food reactions in Hong Kong Chinese pre-schoolers: epidemiology, clinical spectrum and risk factorsTing Fan Leung
Department of Paediatrics, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, Hong Kong
Pediatr Allergy Immunol 20:339-46. 2009..the prevalence, clinical features and risk factors for parent-reported AFR in Chinese pre-school children in Hong Kong. Children aged 2-7 yr living in Hong Kong were recruited through local nurseries and kindergartens to ascertain ..
- Characteristics and diagnostic profile of patients seeking dementia care in a memory clinic in Hong KongBun Sheng
Department of Medicine and Geriatrics, Princess Margaret Hospital, Hong Kong, People s Republic of China
Int Psychogeriatr 21:392-400. 2009..We hypothesize that local culture and socioeconomic structure affect our Chinese patients who present with forgetfulness to our memory clinic...
- Prevalence, incidence, and progression of myopia of school children in Hong KongDorothy S P Fan
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong Eye Hospital, Kowloon, Hong Kong, People s Republic of China
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 45:1071-5. 2004To determine the prevalence, incidence, and progression of myopia of Chinese children in Hong Kong.
- Characterization of isolates of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus from Hong Kong by phage typing, pulsed-field gel electrophoresis, and fluorescent amplified-fragment length polymorphism analysisM Ip
Department of Microbiology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, Hong Kong
J Clin Microbiol 41:4980-5. 2003..The MRSA isolates were recovered from patients at the Prince of Wales Hospital (PWH), Hong Kong, over a 13-year period, 1988 to 2000...
- Acute bacterial gastroenteritis: a study of adult patients with positive stool cultures treated in the emergency departmentS S W Chan
Department of Accident and Emergency, Prince of Wales Hospital, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Emerg Med J 20:335-8. 2003....
- Stigmatizing experience and structural discrimination associated with the treatment of schizophrenia in Hong KongSing Lee
Department of Psychiatry, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, Hong Kong
Soc Sci Med 62:1685-96. 2006..the experience of stigma associated with psychiatric treatment among Chinese patients with schizophrenia in Hong Kong. In focus groups patients described stigma experiences related to clinic visits and the side effects of ..
- Metabolic syndrome by the international diabetes federation definition in Hong Kong ChineseG T C Ko
Department of Medicine, AH Nethersole Hospital, Tai Po, Hong Kong, PR China
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 73:58-64. 2006..Data were obtained from a prevalence survey for cardiovascular risk factors in a Hong Kong Chinese working population...
- Distribution of human papillomavirus types in cervical cancers in Hong Kong: current situation and changes over the last decadesPaul K S Chan
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, People s Republic of China
Int J Cancer 125:1671-7. 2009..Cervical cancers diagnosed during 3 periods (1997-2007, N = 280; 1984-1986, N = 74; 1972-1973, N = 81) in Hong Kong were examined for HPV type distribution using sensitive broad-catching methods...
- Construction of a positive youth development program in Hong KongDaniel T L Shek
Int J Adolesc Med Health 18:299-302. 2006
- Lack of evidence for human-to-human transmission of avian influenza A (H9N2) viruses in Hong Kong, China 1999Timothy M Uyeki
Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 8:154-9. 2002..from two children who were hospitalized with uncomplicated, febrile, upper respiratory tract illnesses in Hong Kong during March 1999...
- Smoking, passive smoking and histological types in lung cancer in Hong Kong Chinese womenT H Lam
Department of Community Medicine, University of Hong Kong
Br J Cancer 56:673-8. 1987In a case control study in Hong Kong, 445 cases of Chinese female lung cancer patients all confirmed pathologically were compared with 445 Chinese female healthy neighbourhood controls matched for age...
- Development and validation of a positive youth development scale in Hong KongDaniel T L Shek
Social Welfare Practice and Research Centre, Department of Social Work, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, Hong Kong
Int J Adolesc Med Health 18:547-58. 2006..The present findings provide support for the reliability and validity of the CPYDS to assess positive youth development in the Chinese culture...
- High risk trauma in older adults in Hong Kong: a multicentre studyJanice H H Yeung
Trauma and Emergency Centre, Prince of Wales Hospital, Hong Kong SAR, People s Republic of China
Injury 39:1034-41. 2008Trauma is the eighth leading cause of death in Hong Kong. In 2002, 18.5% of the population of Hong Kong was aged 55 years or above, which increased to 22.1% in 2006...
- School bullying and tackling strategies in Hong KongDennis S W Wong
Department of Applied Social Studies, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Int J Offender Ther Comp Criminol 48:537-53. 2004In view of the rising problem of school bullying in Hong Kong, scholars have endeavored to study the prevalence, causes, and tackling strategies of school bullying...
- Atypical norovirus epidemic in Hong Kong during summer of 2006 caused by a new genogroup II/4 variantEric C M Ho
Virology Division, Public Health Laboratory Centre, 382 Nam Cheong Street, Shek Kip Mei, Kowloon, Hong Kong
J Clin Microbiol 45:2205-11. 2007An atypically high level of norovirus activity was noticed in Hong Kong beginning in early May 2006. A study was carried out to investigate whether this was caused by a new norovirus variant...
- Associations between daily mortalities from respiratory and cardiovascular diseases and air pollution in Hong Kong, ChinaT W Wong
Department of Community and Family Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 4 F School of Public Health, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, N T, Hong Kong
Occup Environ Med 59:30-5. 2002To investigate the association between ambient concentrations of air pollutants and respiratory and cardiovascular mortalities in Hong Kong.
- Sleep-wake patterns and sleep disturbance among Hong Kong Chinese adolescentsKa Fai Chung
Department of Psychiatry, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, China
Sleep 31:185-94. 2008To determine sleep-wake patterns and evaluate sleep disturbance in Hong Kong adolescents; to identify factors that are associated with sleep disturbance; and to examine the relationship of sleep-wake variables and academic performance.
- Effects of school closures, 2008 winter influenza season, Hong KongBenjamin J Cowling
School of Public Health, Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, People s Republic of China
Emerg Infect Dis 14:1660-2. 2008In winter 2008, kindergartens and primary schools in Hong Kong were closed for 2 weeks after media coverage indicated that 3 children had died, apparently from influenza...
- Mortality associated with passive smoking in Hong KongS M McGhee
Department of Community Medicine, University of Hong Kong, 21 Sassoon Road, Pokfulam, Hong Kong, China
BMJ 330:287-8. 2005
- A community study of sleep-disordered breathing in middle-aged Chinese men in Hong KongM S Ip
Department of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, SAR, China
Chest 119:62-9. 2001Sleep-disordered breathing (SDB) in Asian populations is being increasingly recognized. This study investigated the prevalence of SDB in Chinese middle-aged office-based male workers in Hong Kong.
- Factors associated with osteoarthritis of the hip and knee in Hong Kong Chinese: obesity, joint injury, and occupational activitiesE C Lau
Department of Community and Family Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Am J Epidemiol 152:855-62. 2000In 1998, a case-control study was conducted in Hong Kong on hospital patients with osteoarthritis of the hip (n = 138) and osteoarthritis of the knee (n = 658)...
- Cardiorespiratory and all-cause mortality after restrictions on sulphur content of fuel in Hong Kong: an intervention studyAnthony Johnson Hedley
Department of Community Medicine, University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong
Lancet 360:1646-52. 2002In July, 1990, a restriction was introduced over one weekend that required all power plants and road vehicles in Hong Kong to use fuel oil with a sulphur content of not more than 0.5% by weight...
- A randomised controlled trial of empowerment training for Chinese abused pregnant women in Hong KongA Tiwari
Department of Nursing Studies, The University of Hong Kong, China
BJOG 112:1249-56. 2005..To evaluate the effectiveness of an empowerment intervention in reducing intimate partner violence (IPV) and improving health status...
- Health-promoting behaviors and psychosocial well-being of university students in Hong KongRegina L T Lee
School of Nursing, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Public Health Nurs 22:209-20. 2005..of this study was to examine health-promoting behaviors and psychosocial well-being of university students in Hong Kong. A cross-sectional study was conducted using convenience sample (n = 247) of students recruited at various ..
- Seasonal pattern of tuberculosis in Hong KongChi Chiu Leung
Tuberculosis and Chest Service, Department of Health, 8 Chaiwan Road 4 F, Shaukiwan, Hong Kong, China
Int J Epidemiol 34:924-30. 2005..Summer predominance of tuberculosis (TB) was reported previously in temperate regions. No consistent data were available for lower latitudes...
- Body fat determination by dual energy X-ray absorptiometry and its relation to body mass index and waist circumference in Hong Kong ChineseM He
Department of Medicine, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, People's Republic of China
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 25:748-52. 2001..To determine the relationship between percent body fat and body mass index (BMI) in the Chinese population of Hong Kong and to investigate whether the newly proposed lower BMI cut-offs for obesity in the Asia-Pacific Region ..
- Relationship between glutathione S-transferase gene polymorphisms and enzyme activity in Hong Kong Chinese asthmaticsJ C W Mak
Division of Respiratory Medicine, Department of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Clin Exp Allergy 37:1150-7. 2007..The glutathione S-transferases (GST) are a group of enzymes that protect cells from oxidative stress. Functional genetic polymorphisms of GST genes (GSTT1, GSTM1 and GSTP1) have previously been reported...
- Surveillance of acute flaccid paralysis in Hong Kong: 1997 to 2002R M K Lam
Centre for Health Protection, Department of Health, Hong Kong
Hong Kong Med J 11:164-73. 2005....
- What factors affect influenza vaccine uptake among community-dwelling older Chinese people in Hong Kong general outpatient clinics?Enid Wai Yung Kwong
School of Nursing, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Yuk Choi Road, Hung Hom, Hong Kong, China
J Clin Nurs 18:960-71. 2009This study aimed to identify the influenza vaccination rate among community-dwelling older Chinese people in Hong Kong general outpatient clinics and to identify the factors affecting their vaccine uptake.
- A cluster of cases of severe acute respiratory syndrome in Hong KongKenneth W Tsang
University Department of Medicine, University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, China
N Engl J Med 348:1977-85. 2003..Information on the clinical features of the severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) will be of value to physicians caring for patients suspected of having this disorder...
- Human coronavirus NL63 infection and other coronavirus infections in children hospitalized with acute respiratory disease in Hong Kong, ChinaSusan S Chiu
Department of Paediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, Queen Mary Hospital, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Clin Infect Dis 40:1721-9. 2005....
- Metabolic syndrome increases all-cause and vascular mortality: the Hong Kong Cardiovascular Risk Factor StudyG Neil Thomas
Department of Community Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 66:666-71. 2007..The metabolic syndrome has been associated with increased mortality in some Caucasian populations, but data in Asian populations are not available. We present data describing the association of the metabolic syndrome with mortality...
- Use of variable-number tandem-repeat typing to differentiate Mycobacterium tuberculosis Beijing family isolates from Hong Kong and comparison with IS6110 restriction fragment length polymorphism typing and spoligotypingKristin Kremer
Mycobacteria Reference Unit, Diagnostic Laboratory for Infectious Diseases and Perinatal Screening, National Institute of Public Health and the Environment, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
J Clin Microbiol 43:314-20. 2005..tuberculosis isolates from Hong Kong were subjected to VNTR analysis, spoligotyping, and IS6110 restriction fragment length polymorphism (RFLP) ..
- Coronavirus as a possible cause of severe acute respiratory syndromeJ S M Peiris
Department of Microbiology and Pathology, Queen Mary Hospital, University of Hong Kong, Special Administrative Region, Hong Kong, China
Lancet 361:1319-25. 2003An outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) has been reported in Hong Kong. We investigated the viral cause and clinical presentation among 50 patients.
- Prevalence of type 2 diabetes mellitus of Chinese populations in Mainland China, Hong Kong, and TaiwanKam Cheong Wong
Centre for Chronic Disease, School of Medicine, The University of Queensland, Herston, Australia
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 73:126-34. 2006..trends and differences in prevalence of type 2 diabetes mellitus of Chinese populations in Mainland China, Hong Kong and Taiwan based on literatures published in the MEDLINE Advanced database (January 1966-October 2005) in both ..
- Introduction of new clones of penicillin-nonsusceptible Streptococcus pneumoniae in Hong KongMargaret Ip
Department of Microbiology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong
J Clin Microbiol 40:1522-5. 2002Analysis of penicillin-nonsusceptible Streptococcus pneumoniae (PNSP) isolates in Hong Kong by use of a combination of antibiogram typing, serotyping, multilocus sequence typing, and pulsed-field gel electrophoresis indicated that the ..
- Increasing prevalence of allergic rhinitis but not asthma among children in Hong Kong from 1995 to 2001 (Phase 3 International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood)So Lun Lee
Department of Paediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, Queen Mary Hospital, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, China
Pediatr Allergy Immunol 15:72-8. 2004..We examined the trend of asthma, allergic rhinitis and eczema prevalence in school children aged 6-7 years in Hong Kong from 1995 to 2001 using standardized ISAAC methodology...
- The effects of a celebrity suicide on suicide rates in Hong KongPaul S F Yip
HKJC Centre for Suicide Research and Prevention, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, PR China
J Affect Disord 93:245-52. 2006..We have examined the impact on suicides following the death of a famous Hong Kong pop singer whose death from suicide by jumping from a height, occurred on 1st April 2003, and resulted in ..
- Emergence of CTX-M-type beta-lactam resistance in Shigella spp. in Hong KongTerence Kin Man Cheung
Int J Antimicrob Agents 25:350-2. 2005
- Assessment of heavy metal cations in sediments of Shing Mun River, Hong KongS N Sin
Department of Civil and Structural Engineering, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Hong Kong SAR, People's Republic of China
Environ Int 26:297-301. 2001..047 mg/g) were found in the Shing Mun Main River Channel. These contaminated sediments, accumulated over the years on the river bed, could act as secondary sources of pollution to the overlying water column in the river...
- HIV-related behaviours among voluntary blood donors in Hong KongJ T F Lau
Centre for Clinical Trials and Epidemiological Research, Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, NT, Hong Kong
AIDS Care 14:481-92. 2002..prevalence of and factors associated with deferrable risk behaviours practised by male voluntary blood donors in Hong Kong. Attitudes and knowledge related to HIV/AIDS and blood donation among both male and female blood donors were ..
- Sense of community in Hong Kong: relations with community-level characteristics and residents' well-beingWinnie W S Mak
Department of Psychology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, NT, Hong Kong
Am J Community Psychol 44:80-92. 2009..However, no empirical study to date has investigated SOC in Hong Kong and its relations with community characteristics and residents' psychological well-being...
- The study of metal contamination in urban soils of Hong Kong using a GIS-based approachXiangdong Li
Department of Civil and Structural Engineering, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Environ Pollut 129:113-24. 2004..An extensive survey was conducted in the highly urbanized Kowloon area (46.9 km(2)) of Hong Kong, using a systematic sampling strategy with a sampling density of 3-5 composite soil samples (0-15 cm) per km(2)...
- Brief report: Predictors of heavy Internet use and associations with health-promoting and health risk behaviors among Hong Kong university studentsJean H Kim
School of Public Health 2 F, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, New Territories, Hong Kong
J Adolesc 33:215-20. 2010..an anonymous, self-administered health behavior questionnaire was completed by 2427 matriculants into a Hong Kong university (mean age=18.9 y) and returned at compulsory health examination. Of students, 14...
- Pyogenic liver abscess: clinical profile, microbiological characteristics, and management in a Hong Kong hospitalKa Ho Lok
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Medicine and Geriatrics, Tuen Mun Hospital, Hong Kong
J Microbiol Immunol Infect 41:483-90. 2008..This study describes the demographic, clinical, and microbiological features, management, and poor prognostic factors of PLA in Hong Kong.
- Effects of age on plasma glucose levels in non-diabetic Hong Kong ChineseGary T C Ko
Department of Medicine, Alice Ho Miu Ling Nethersole Hospital, Tai Po, Hong Kong, China
Croat Med J 47:709-13. 2006To analyze the relationship between age and plasma glucose levels in Hong Kong Chinese population.
- Polymorphisms in manganese superoxide dismutase and catalase genes: functional study in Hong Kong Chinese asthma patientsJ C W Mak
Division of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, SAR, China
Clin Exp Allergy 36:440-7. 2006..Reactive oxygen species may contribute to the pathogenesis of asthma. Functional genetic polymorphisms of antioxidant enzymes, superoxide dismutase (SOD) and catalase are good candidates for asthma susceptibility...
- Newspaper reporting of suicide cases in Hong KongJade S K Au
Hong Kong Jockey Club Center for Suicide Research and Prevention, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong
Crisis 25:161-8. 2004This study addresses the concerns over newspapers' reporting of suicide cases in Hong Kong, SAR (Special Administrative Region), using the WHO guidelines on the reporting of suicide news as a reference for comparison...
- Epidemiology and clinical presentations of human coronavirus NL63 infections in hong kong childrenTing Fan Leung
Department of Paediatrics, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, N T, Hong Kong
J Clin Microbiol 47:3486-92. 2009..This study investigated the epidemiology, seasonality, and clinical features of HCoV-NL63 in Hong Kong children...
- Durable Visible Light-activated Antivral Coatings for Fabrics Used for Personal PJOSEF STEPHAN SCHNEIDER; Fiscal Year: 2011..Case-control studies conducted in Beijing and Hong Kong showed that wearing masks in public was independently associated with protection from SARS in a multivariate ..
- Ecology of Infectious Diseases (EID)-Immune Landscapes of Human Influenza in HousDerek Cummings; Fiscal Year: 2011..Key stakeholders such as the Center for Disease Control in Guangzhou and the Center for Health Protection in Hong Kong will be made aware of these results during meetings held specifically for them.
- Function of NALT in nasal immunization to heterotypic strains of influenzaTroy D Randall; Fiscal Year: 2010..These emerging strains of influenza, such as the highly virulent H5N1 variant that appeared in Hong Kong in 1997, have the potential to trigger another worldwide pandemic with devastating social and economic ..
- Development of novel immunotherapy for influenza virus infectionKazue Takahashi; Fiscal Year: 2011..of Medicine and the Department of Paediatrics &Adolescent Medicine and Microbiology at The University of Hong Kong and The Department of Medicine at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and the product development expertise of ..
- Determination of Markers of High Pathogenicity in InfluenzaRichard A Dluhy; Fiscal Year: 2013..Analysis of the PB1-F2 sequence identified a single mutation (N66S) that was conserved for both the Hong Kong 1997 H5N1 highly pathogenic influenza as well as the 1918 pandemic strain...
- NAD and CD38: modulators of inflammation and immunityFrances E Lund; Fiscal Year: 2010..Furthermore, the new emerging strains of influenza, such as the highly virulent H5N1 variant that appeared in Hong Kong in 1997, have the potential to trigger a worldwide pandemic with devastating social and economic consequences...
- Toward a multi-modal and multi-level analysis of Chinese aphasic discoursePAK HIN ANTHONY KONG; Fiscal Year: 2013..A four-year investigative project that will be carried out in Hong Kong, a city with a linguistically homogenous Chinese-speaking community in China, is proposed...
- Epidemiology and modeling of the population dynamics of influenza and antimicrobiEdward Goldstein; Fiscal Year: 2013..B. Cowling of the University of Hong Kong). 5. Assessment of the factors behind the rise in antimicrobial resistance in N...
- Structural and Functional Study of Influenza Virus HemagglutininQinghua Wang; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- International Conference on Kidney Disease in Disadvantaged PopulationsROSIE MARIE CONNOR; Fiscal Year: 2013..of the International Society of Nephrology (ISN)/World Congress of Nephrology (WCN) 2013 to be held June 4-6 in Hong Kong, and the subsequent 2015 (Chile) and 2017 (TBD) WCN meetings...
- 2010 Molecular and Cellular Neurobiology Gordon Research ConferenceKang Shen; Fiscal Year: 2010..meeting on Molecular and Cellular Neurobiology as part of a Gordon Research Conference series to be held at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology June 6 to 11, 2010...
- Population Based Epidemiological Studies on Influenza/Other Respiratory PathogensDARRELL SINGER; Fiscal Year: 2012..In recent years, human infections with highly fatal H5N1 avian influenza strains in Hong Kong, Vietnam, Indonesia, and other nations have received much attention as one of the most likely sources of a ..
- Training Program in International Mental HealthByron J Good; Fiscal Year: 2010..of Psychiatry of The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK), the Shanghai Mental Health Center (SMHC), and the Peking University Institute for Mental Health (PUIMH), ..
- Viral Arrays for BiodefenseW Ian Lipkin; Fiscal Year: 2010..in public health laboratories in the New York State Department of Health, the Centers for Disease Control, Hong Kong University, the Robert Koch Institute, and the Public Health Agency of Canada...
- Pathogenesis of Influenza: Virus-Host InteractionsAndrew D Robertson; Fiscal Year: 2011..Virus- Host Interactions, organized by Siamon Gordon, Malik Peiris and Kanta Subbarao, which will be held in Hong Kong, China from May 23 - 28, 2011. The mechanisms underlying the pathogenesis of influenza remain controversial...
- China Collaborative Suicide Research Training ProgramEric D Caine; Fiscal Year: 2010..Other collaborating institutions include the Hong Kong Jockey Club Suicide Research Centre of The University of Hong Kong (HKU)...
- ICOHRTA: China-Rochester Suicide Research CenterEric D Caine; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): In this competitive renewal we seek to build the "Rochester-Sichuan-Hong Kong ICOHRTA" (RSHK ICOHRTA)...
- MIDAS Center for Communicable Disease DynamicsMarc Lipsitch; Fiscal Year: 2013..epidemic analysis "dashboard," will be developed in partnership with public health collaborators from the US and Hong Kong. A short course in infectious disease modeling will be designed and offered annually at rotating sites on ..
- Behavioral Health Informatics Capacity-Building in ChinaRobert Friedman; Fiscal Year: 2009..The first step in this process will be to establish a behavioral informatics research laboratory in Hong Kong which will be located in the Centre for Epidemiology and Biostatistics at the Chinese University of Hong Kong (..
- PROSPECTIVE STUDY ON PREVENTION AND TREATMENT OF VOICE PROBLEMS IN TEACHERSKatherine Verdolini; Fiscal Year: 2013..Participants will be student teachers in Pittsburgh and Hong Kong, who will be followed from student teaching across their second full year of employment as a professional ..
- A Preventative Adenoviral-Based H5N1 Influenza VaccineAndrea Gambotto; Fiscal Year: 2007..Since 1997, highly pathogenic (HP) avian influenza A H5N1 viruses have caused a series of outbreaks in Hong Kong, and most recently in 9 other Asian countries...
- Population-based Surveillance for Zoonotic Influenza AGregory Gray; Fiscal Year: 2005..poultry flocks in Virginia and North Carolina, and avian influenza has caused unusual human disease or deaths in Hong Kong, the Netherlands, Belgium, and likely the Eastern United States...
- MECHANISM OF BACTERIAL SUPERINFECTIONBARBARA SANFORD; Fiscal Year: 1991..aureus from a patient who died with post-influenza staphylococcal pneumonia, and a human strain of influenza A/Hong Kong/1/68 (H3N2) virus are the primary infectious agents that will be used throughout the in vivo study...
- Analysis of tobacco industry documents--Asia/AustraliaSimon Chapman; Fiscal Year: 2004..containing explicit material about tobacco control issues in six nations: Australia; New Zealand; China/Hong Kong; Thailand; Indonesia; and Malaysia...
- US-China-Japan Research Consortium on Herbal MedicinesDavid Eisenberg; Fiscal Year: 2004..from the Harvard Medical School, the China Academy of Traditional Chinese Medicine, the Chinese University of Hong Kong, and Keio University (Japan) to jointly identify and prioritize promising herbal medicines, which can be ..
- Occupational Health of Immigrants Working in RestaurantsJenny Tsai; Fiscal Year: 2004..Inclusion criteria include: (1) born in China, Taiwan, or Hong Kong; (2) over 18 years of age; (3) speak Chinese, Taiwanese, or English; and (4) have been working in restaurants ..
- 2012 Molecular and Cellular Neurobiology Gordon Research Conference &Gordon ReseLin Mei; Fiscal Year: 2012..Finally, the 2012 Hong Kong GRC meeting will offer the first Gordon Research Seminar (GRS) on Molecular and Cellular Neurobiology that is ..
- Analysis of the SARS Virus S glycoproteinsPaul Bates; Fiscal Year: 2005..in China in late 2002, SARS has spread rapidly around the world with predominant SARS cases documented in Hong Kong, Beijing, Guangdong, and Toronto...
- New Influenza A Neuraminidase Inhibitors for BiodefenseWayne Brouillette; Fiscal Year: 2009..The potentially high virulence of influenza virus was first demonstrated in 1997 in Hong Kong by an avian H5N1 virus that, for people with confirmed H5N1 infections, killed 6 of 18 patients...
- Recombinant Subunit Protein for Flu VaccineCarolyn Weeks Levy; Fiscal Year: 2006..goal of this research proposal is to evaluate recombinant subunit proteins of the avian influenza strain A/Hong Kong/156/97 (H5N1) as vaccine candidates...
- Suicidal Behavior in Persons with Schizophrenia in ChinaMAOSHENG RAN; Fiscal Year: 2005This application from the University of Hong Kong's Hong Kong Jockey Club Centre for Suicide Research and Prevention proposes to clarify the risk and protective factors of suicidal behavior (suicide and suicide attempts) in a long-term ..
- Genetic Modulation of HbF in Beta ThalassemiaDavid Chui; Fiscal Year: 2009..A patient registry of sufficient size to accomplish these aims has been established in Hong Kong. We have formed an interactive and cohesive team of pediatricians, hematologists, geneticists, molecular ..
- Lethality of H5N1 Influenza Virus is Linked to TGF-betaStacey Schultz Cherry; Fiscal Year: 2009..The first documented instance of human H5N1 infection by a purely avian H5N1 strain occurred in Hong Kong in 1997...
- Transmissibility of Influenza A VirusesDaniel Perez; Fiscal Year: 2006..birds are the natural reservoir of influenza A viruses, but the influenza A viruses isolated from humans in Hong Kong (H5N1 in 1997 and H9N2 in1999) contained genes that had circulated and adapted in land-based birds, particularly ..
- DEVELOPMENT OF PUSHRIM FORCE AND MEASUREMENT DEVICERory Cooper; Fiscal Year: 2000..APPLICATIONS: As proof of the SMARTWheeI commercial viability several leading research institutions such as Hong Kong Polytechnic and Children's Hospital of Toronto have already purchased the SMARTWheel to better understand the ..
- INTERNATIONAL GENETIC EPIDEMIOLOGY OF ORAL CLEFTSTerri Beaty; Fiscal Year: 2001..on case-parent trios (plus sib controls, where available) at 5 centers: Johns Hopkins (USA), Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Japan...
- Center for Trad.Chinese Medicine & Women's HealthFredi Kronenberg; Fiscal Year: 2004..Anita Regalia and Francesco Cardini), The University of Hong Kong (Dept. of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Dr. P.C...
- Cultural Variation in Affect ValuationJEANNE TSAI; Fiscal Year: 2007..to examine affect valuation in European Americans, Chinese Americans, Chinese in Beijing, and Chinese in Hong Kong. Specifically, the studies aim to: (1) develop a reliable and valid cross-cultural measure of affect evaluation, ..
- International Center for the Evaluation of East Asian Botanicals for CancerDavid Eisenberg; Fiscal Year: 2009..Alternative Medicine (ICRC) led by investigators from the Harvard Medical School (US), The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK;China) and Keio University (Japan) to systematically evaluate traditionally used East Asian (Chinese and ..
- MOLECULAR EPIDEMIOLOGY OF PANDEMIC INFLUENZARobert Webster; Fiscal Year: 2000..During the present granting period we established that the Asian/57 and Hong Kong/68 human pandemic viruses emerged by reassortment between the Eurasian (Europe/Asia) lineage of avian influenza ..
- Regulation of TGF-b by influenza Virus NeuraminidaseElizabeth Turpin; Fiscal Year: 2005..of human influenza disease and death associated with a purely avian influenza virus (H5N1 strain) occurred in Hong Kong. Since 1997, highly virulent avian influenza viruses have continued to cause disease and even death in humans, ..
- Functional Bowel Disorders in Chinese MedicineBrian Berman; Fiscal Year: 2004..of three universities, The University of Maryland Center for Integrative Medicine, the Chinese University of Hong Kong, and the University of Illinois at Chicago Program for Collaborative Research in the Pharmaceutical Sciences...
- 2006 Gordon Research Conference on Molecular and Cellular NeurobiologyLi Huei Tsai; Fiscal Year: 2006..and Louis Reichardt (UCSF) are organizing a conference on Molecular and Cellular Neurobiology, to be held at Hong Kong University of Science & Technology, Hong Kong, China on June 11-16, 2006...
- VIRAL MEMBRANE AND GLYCOPROTEIN STRUCTUREStephen Harrison; Fiscal Year: 2004..One goal is to help explain observations like why outbreaks in the past two years in Hong Kong of avian virus infections in humans did not spread into the human population...
- INFLUENZA PANDEMIC PREPAREDNESS IN ASIARobert Webster; Fiscal Year: 2000..However this assumption came unraveled in the face of the H5N1 outbreak in Hong Kong in which 18 people became infected with an H5N1 avian (chicken) influenza virus. Six of these cases were fatal...
- Asia-Pacific Diabetes Epidemiology Training CourseJanice Dorman; Fiscal Year: 2001..is sponsoring, without financial support, the Second Asia-Pacific Diabetes Epidemiology Training Course in Hong Kong from October 27-November 4, 2001...
- Conference on Oxidative Mechanisms in NeurodegenerationGrace Sun; Fiscal Year: 2004..International Society of Neurochemistry/Asian Pacific Society of Neurochemistry (ISN/APSN) that will be held in Hong Kong, August 2-7...
- 2004 Molecular & Cellular Neurobiology Gordon ConferenceLiqun Luo; Fiscal Year: 2004..The meeting will be held at Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, which has been chosen by the GRC Secretariat as a permanent Gordon ..
- STUDY NASOPHARYNGEAL CARCINOMA & ASSOCIATED TUMORSG de The; Fiscal Year: 1980..in the native Caucasian French population, migrant Arab populations living in France, Tunisians, and Chinese in Hong Kong. Follow up all the NPC patients in these populations during surgery or therapy and thereafter study the levels ..
- ROADMAP FOR GLOBAL HEALTH RESEARCH IN RIO DE JANEIROJose Lapa e Silva; Fiscal Year: 2006..and unknown respiratory infection that killed people from all walks of life, spreading from Southern China to Hong Kong, from other Asian countries to Canada...
- Proteomic Analysis of the Innate Antiviral ResponseMichael Katze; Fiscal Year: 2004..the influenza virus NS 1 protein from the type A Texas/36/91 strain, the 1918 pandemic strain, and the avian Hong Kong strain, and the Ebola-Zaire, Ebola- Reston, and Marburg virus VP35 proteins...
- 10th International Symposium on UrolithiasisGLENN PREMINGER; Fiscal Year: 2004..an application for funds to provide partial support for an International Symposium on Urolithiasis to be held in Hong Kong on May 25 - 28, 2004. This will be the 10th in a series of symposia that have been held every 4 years since 1968...
- Discovery of a Novel Promoter in Pathogenic InfluenzaDAVID WENTWORTH; Fiscal Year: 2005..Avian H5 viruses, such as the viruses responsible for 18 zoonotic infections in the "bird flu" outbreak in Hong Kong in 1997, provide a powerful model of pathogenesis because they range from avirulent to highly virulent...
- Viral migration and predicting viral changesWALTER FITCH; Fiscal Year: 2006..and the location (region) where the virus was isolated, how many times a virus migrated, for example, from Hong Kong to the US to account for where they are now...
- Cerebrovascular risk factors and late-life suicideSAU MAN CHAN; Fiscal Year: 2007..The correlation between clinical and radiopathological CVRFs as well as the relationship between burden of CVRFs and impaired ECFs will be worked out by correlation statistics. ..
- COMBINATION CHEMOTHERAPY FOR PANDEMIC INFLUENZARobert Webster; Fiscal Year: 2005..We will include recent isolates from Hong Kong, because of strong experimental evidence that the precursors of human pandemic influenza viruses originate in ..
- Stigma & Behavioral Health in Urban Employers from China & USPatrick Corrigan; Fiscal Year: 2007..employers (compared to the general public) using probability samples at three urban sites: Chicago, Beijing, and Hong Kong. Central research questions include why employers endorse stigmatizing beliefs about these disorders, how these ..
- Diet and Prostate Cancer RiskJackilen Shannon; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Neural Bases of Auditory Processing Disorders in AdultsPatrick Wong; Fiscal Year: 2007..2) Whether it is feasible to use MRI to identify neurophysiologic anomalies in APD adults. If so, whether APD is associated with a collection of unifying or diverse neurophysiologic anomalies. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Acquisition of Mandarin Tones: A Cross-Sectional StudyPatrick Wong; Fiscal Year: 2007..For the rehabilitation of adults, it is especially important to understand how adults learn. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Therapy for Liver Cancer by Targeting Energy MetabolismJean Francois Geschwind; Fiscal Year: 2007..This translational study combining the use of radiological and basic science research tools is both necessary and fundamental to firmly lay the groundwork for clinical trials. ..
- Osteoporotic fractures in Chinese men: MrOs Hong KongPING LEUNG; Fiscal Year: 2007..to add two measurements: follow-up lateral spine radiographs and quantitative computed tomography (QCT) to the Hong Kong arm (consisting of 2,000 men) of the ongoing MrOS U.S...