Genomes and Genes
Summary: A republic in east and central Asia, known also as the People's Republic of China. It is an ancient country, with a civilization existing as early as 3000 B.C. Until 1912 it was known as the Chinese Empire. It was one of the four Great Powers in World War II. By 1950 the Communist regime had gained control. China became a member of the United Nations in 1971. The name may be derived from the qin or Ts'in dynasty (221-206 B.C.) or the Sanskrit name cina or the central province of Shaanxi or Shensi (its capital is Shian). (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p257 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, 1992, p111)
Publications366 found, 100 shown here
- Prevalence of diabetes among men and women in ChinaWenying Yang
China Japan Friendship Hospital, Beijing, China
N Engl J Med 362:1090-101. 2010Because of the rapid change in lifestyle in China, there is concern that diabetes may become epidemic. We conducted a national study from June 2007 through May 2008 to estimate the prevalence of diabetes among Chinese adults.
- Major causes of death among men and women in ChinaJiang He
Department of Epidemiology, Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
N Engl J Med 353:1124-34. 2005With China's rapid economic development, the disease burden may have changed in the country...
- Clinical features of the initial cases of 2009 pandemic influenza A (H1N1) virus infection in ChinaBin Cao
Beijing Chao Yang Hospital, Beijing Institute of Respiratory Medicine, Capital Medical University, Beijing, China
N Engl J Med 361:2507-17. 2009The first case of 2009 pandemic influenza A (H1N1) virus infection in China was documented on May 10. Subsequently, persons with suspected cases of infection and contacts of those with suspected infection were tested...
- An outbreak of hand, foot, and mouth disease associated with subgenotype C4 of human enterovirus 71 in Shandong, ChinaYong Zhang
National Institute for Viral Disease Control and Prevention, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Xuanwu District, Beijing, PR China
J Clin Virol 44:262-7. 2009An outbreak of hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) included 1149 people in Linyi City, Shandong Province, China, in 2007: three children died.
- Incidence and mortality of gastric cancer in ChinaLing Yang
National Office for Cancer Prevention and Control, 17 Panjiayuan Nanli, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100021, China
World J Gastroenterol 12:17-20. 2006..In China, based on two national mortality surveys conducted in 1970s and 1990s, there is an obvious clustering of ..
- Prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control of hypertension in China: data from the China National Nutrition and Health Survey 2002Yangfeng Wu
National Institute of Nutrition and Food Safety, Chinese Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, No 29 Nanweilu, Xuanwu District, Beijing 100050, China
Circulation 118:2679-86. 2008The present article aims to provide accurate estimates of the prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control of hypertension in adults in China.
- Prevalence of the metabolic syndrome and overweight among adults in ChinaDongfeng Gu
Cardiovascular Institute and Fuwai Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, China
Lancet 365:1398-405. 2005..Little information exists on the prevalence of the metabolic syndrome in China. We aimed to provide up-to-date estimates of the prevalence of the metabolic syndrome and overweight in the ..
- The long-term effect of lifestyle interventions to prevent diabetes in the China Da Qing Diabetes Prevention Study: a 20-year follow-up studyGuangwei Li
Department of Endocrinology, China Japan Friendship Hospital, Beijing, China
Lancet 371:1783-9. 2008..We aimed to assess whether intensive lifestyle interventions have a long-term effect on the risk of diabetes, diabetes-related macrovascular and microvascular complications, and mortality...
- Epidemiological transition of stroke in China: twenty-one-year observational study from the Sino-MONICA-Beijing ProjectDong Zhao
Department of Epidemiology, Capital Medical University Affiliated Beijing Anzhen Hospital, Beijing Institute of Heart, Lung and Blood Vessel Diseases, Anzhenli, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100029, P R China
Stroke 39:1668-74. 2008..The aim of this study was to examine the changes in trends of stroke epidemiology during a period of fast economic development in China, based on data of the Sino-MONICA-Beijing project.
- The public health significance and control of schistosomiasis in China--then and nowXiao Nong Zhou
National Institute of Parasitic Diseases, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Shanghai 200025, China
Acta Trop 96:97-105. 2005The description of schistosomiasis in China dates back more than two millennia. The disease caused social and economic hardship, and the rates of morbidity and mortality were high...
- Emergence of chronic non-communicable diseases in ChinaGonghuan Yang
Chinese Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, Beijing, China Institute of Basic Medical Sciences of Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and School of Basic Medicine of Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, China
Lancet 372:1697-705. 2008b>China has experienced an epidemiological transition shifting from the infectious to the chronic diseases in much shorter time than many other countries...
- Cancer trends in ChinaPing Zhao
Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Cancer Institute and Hospital, Beijing, People s Republic of China
Jpn J Clin Oncol 40:281-5. 2010Cancer is the leading death cause in urban China and the second one in rural China. Lung cancer is the most common cancer, followed by stomach cancer, liver cancer, esophageal cancer and colorectal cancer...
- Epidemiology of schistosomiasis in the People's Republic of China, 2004Xiao Nong Zhou
National Institute of Parasitic Diseases, Shanghai, People s Republic of China
Emerg Infect Dis 13:1470-6. 2007..the third nationwide cluster sampling survey on the epidemiology of schistosomiasis in the People's Republic of China, conducted by the Ministry of Health in 2004, are presented...
- Emergence of fatal PRRSV variants: unparalleled outbreaks of atypical PRRS in China and molecular dissection of the unique hallmarkKegong Tian
China Animal Disease Control Center, Beijing, China
PLoS ONE 2:e526. 2007..of the unparalleled large-scale outbreaks of an originally unknown, but so-called "high fever" disease in China in 2006 with the essence of PRRS, which spread to more than 10 provinces (autonomous cities or regions) and ..
- Stroke in China: epidemiology, prevention, and management strategiesMing Liu
Stroke Clinical Research Unit, Department of Neurology, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, China
Lancet Neurol 6:456-64. 2007..review, we examine the current status of stroke epidemiology, prevention, and management strategies in mainland China. The main findings suggested that total age-adjusted incidence of first-ever stroke in China is not very different ..
- Is China facing an obesity epidemic and the consequences? The trends in obesity and chronic disease in ChinaY Wang
Center for Human Nutrition, Department of International Health, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA
Int J Obes (Lond) 31:177-88. 2007Over the past two decades, China has enjoyed impressive economic development, and her citizens have experienced many remarked changes in their lifestyle. These changes are often associated with an increase in obesity and chronic disease.
- A strategy to control transmission of Schistosoma japonicum in ChinaLong De Wang
Ministry of Health, Beijing, China
N Engl J Med 360:121-8. 2009Schistosoma japonicum causes an infection involving humans, livestock, and snails and is a significant cause of morbidity in China.
- Epidemiology of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in ChinaJian Gao Fan
Department of Gastroenterology, Xinhua Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University School of Medicine, Shanghai 200092, China
J Hepatol 50:204-10. 2009Fatty liver (steatosis) is highly prevalent in China and is more often linked to obesity than to alcoholism. Among more affluent regions of China, the community prevalence of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) is approximately 15%...
- Prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control of hypertension in chinaDongfeng Gu
Cardiovascular Institute and Fuwai Hospital of Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, China
Hypertension 40:920-7. 2002..and to determine the status of hypertension awareness, treatment, and control in the general adult population in China. The International Collaborative Study of Cardiovascular Disease in ASIA (InterASIA), conducted in 2000-2001, used ..
- Prevalence of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in China: a large, population-based surveyNanshan Zhong
Guangzhou Institute of Respiratory Diseases, The First Affiliated Hospital, Guangzhou Medical College, 151 Yanjiang Road, Guangzhou, Guangdong 510120, China
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 176:753-60. 2007The prevalence of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) in China is largely unknown.
- Clonorchiasis: a key foodborne zoonosis in ChinaZhao Rong Lun
Center for Parasitic Organisms and the Key Laboratory for Tropical Diseases Control of the Ministry of Education, School of Life Sciences, Zhongshan Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, China
Lancet Infect Dis 5:31-41. 2005The oriental liverfluke, Clonorchis sinensis, is of major socioeconomic importance in parts of Asia, including China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, and Vietnam...
- Changes in forest biomass carbon storage in China between 1949 and 1998J Fang
Department of Urban and Environmental Science, and Key Laboratory for Earth Surface Processes of the Ministry of Education, Peking University, Beijing 100871, China
Science 292:2320-2. 2001..Here, we used an improved estimation method of forest biomass and a 50-year national forest resource inventory in China to estimate changes in the storage of living biomass between 1949 and 1998...
- Trends of obesity and underweight in older children and adolescents in the United States, Brazil, China, and RussiaYoufa Wang
Carolina Population Center, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill 27516 3997, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 75:971-7. 2002..Few studies have used the same references across countries to examine the trends of over- and underweight in older children and adolescents...
- Emergence and control of infectious diseases in ChinaLongde Wang
Ministry of Health, People s Republic of China, Beijing, China
Lancet 372:1598-605. 2008Infectious diseases remain the major causes of morbidity and mortality in China despite substantial progress in their control. China is a major contributor to the worldwide infectious disease burden because of its population size...
- Trend and disease burden of bacillary dysentery in China (1991-2000)Xuan Yi Wang
International Vaccine Institute, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Bull World Health Organ 84:561-8. 2006We aimed to determine the burden of bacillary dysentery in China, its cross-regional variations, trends in morbidity and mortality, the causative bacterial species and antimicrobial resistance patterns.
- Suppression of cotton bollworm in multiple crops in China in areas with Bt toxin-containing cottonKong Ming Wu
State Key Laboratory for Biology of Plant Diseases and Insect Pests, Institute of Plant Protection, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Beijing, 100193, People s Republic of China
Science 321:1676-8. 2008..Analysis of the population dynamics of H. armigera from 1992 to 2007 in China indicated that a marked decrease in regional outbreaks of this pest in multiple crops was associated with the ..
- Tackling the challenges to health equity in ChinaShenglan Tang
WHO, Beijing Office, China Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Liverpool, UK
Lancet 372:1493-501. 2008In terms of economic development, China is widely acclaimed as a miracle economy. Over a period of rapid economic growth, however, China's reputation for health has been slipping...
- Leaf nitrogen and phosphorus stoichiometry across 753 terrestrial plant species in ChinaWenxuan Han
Department of Ecology, College of Environmental Sciences and Key Laboratory for Earth Surface Processes of the Ministry of Education, Peking University, Beijing, China
New Phytol 168:377-85. 2005..across the functional groups were generally consistent with those reported previously, the overall N : P ratio of China's flora was considerably higher than the global averages, probably caused by a greater shortage of soil P in China ..
- Why have physical activity levels declined among Chinese adults? Findings from the 1991-2006 China Health and Nutrition SurveysShu Wen Ng
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7411, USA
Soc Sci Med 68:1305-14. 2009Between 1991 and 2006, average weekly physical activity among adults in China fell by 32%...
- The changing face of HIV in ChinaLin Lu
Yunnan Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Yunnan, People s Republic of China
Nature 455:609-11. 2008HIV has advanced from high-risk groups such as intravenous drug users to some in the general population, according to comprehensive new data from the south of China. What needs to be done to halt its spread?
- Safety and immunogenicity of 2009 pandemic influenza A H1N1 vaccines in China: a multicentre, double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled trialXiao Feng Liang
Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Beijing, China
Lancet 375:56-66. 2010..The current influenza pandemic calls for a safe and effective vaccine. We assessed the safety and immunogenicity of eight formulations of 2009 pandemic influenza A H1N1 vaccine produced by ten Chinese manufacturers...
- Overview of obesity in Mainland ChinaC M Chen
International Life Science Institute Focal Point in China, Beijing, China
Obes Rev 9:14-21. 2008This overview describes the study of obesity issues over the last 8 years in Mainland China. A disease risk-based body mass index classification for Chinese adults was developed and verified by the results of the 2002 China Nationwide ..
- Helicobacter pylori eradication to prevent gastric cancer in a high-risk region of China: a randomized controlled trialBenjamin Chun Yu Wong
Department of Medicine, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
JAMA 291:187-94. 2004..Although chronic Helicobacter pylori infection is associated with gastric cancer, the effect of H pylori treatment on prevention of gastric cancer development in chronic carriers is unknown...
- Conquering schistosomiasis in China: the long marchJurg Utzinger
Department of Public Health and Epidemiology, Swiss Tropical Institute, Basel, Switzerland
Acta Trop 96:69-96. 2005The last half-century of schistosomiasis control activities in China have brought down the overall prevalence of human infection with Schistosoma japonicum to less than 10% of the level initially documented in the mid 1950s...
- Drinking and drinking patterns and health status in the general population of five areas of ChinaWei Hao
Mental Health Institute, WHO Collaborating Research Center for Abuse and Health, Second Xiangya Hospital of Central South University, Changsha, Hunan, China
Alcohol Alcohol 39:43-52. 2004To understand drinking patterns, health status related to drinking and the level of unrecorded alcoholic beverage consumption for the general population living in five areas of China in 2001.
- Preventing chronic diseases in ChinaLongde Wang
Ministry of Health of the People s Republic of China, Beijing, China
Lancet 366:1821-4. 2005Chronic diseases now account for an estimated 80% of deaths and 70% of disability-adjusted life-years lost in China. Cardiovascular diseases and cancer are the leading causes of both death and the burden of disease, and exposure to risk ..
- Cost-effectiveness analysis of chemotherapy for advanced gastric cancer in ChinaXin Zu Chen
Department of Gastrointestinal Surgery, and Multidisciplinary Treatment Team of Gastrointestinal Tumors, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, Sichuan Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 14:2715-22. 2008..To assess the economics of various chemotherapeutic regimens for advanced gastric cancer (AGC), and to select the best cost-effective regimen for the common Chinese patients...
- China's new strategy to block Schistosoma japonicum transmission: experiences and impact beyond schistosomiasisLong De Wang
School of Public Health, Peking University, Beijing, China
Trop Med Int Health 14:1475-83. 2009Despite sustained efforts for its control made over the past 50+ years, the re-emergence of schistosomiasis in China was noted around the turn of the new millennium...
- A history estimate and evolutionary analysis of rabies virus variants in ChinaPinggang Ming
Department of Genetic Engineering, Wuhan Institute of Biological Product, Wu Chang District, Wuhan 430060, PR China
J Gen Virol 91:759-64. 2010To investigate the evolutionary dynamics of rabies virus (RABV) in China, we collected and sequenced 55 isolates sampled from 14 Chinese provinces over the last 40 years and performed a coalescent-based analysis of the G gene...
- Cocirculation of avian H9N2 and contemporary "human" H3N2 influenza A viruses in pigs in southeastern China: potential for genetic reassortment?J S Peiris
Department of Microbiology, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, People s Republic of China
J Virol 75:9679-86. 2001..carried out between March 1998 and June 2000 in Hong Kong, Special Administrative Region, People's Republic of China, on pigs imported from southeastern China, provides the first evidence of interspecies transmission of avian H9N2 ..
- Clinical and epidemiologic characteristics of 3 early cases of influenza A pandemic (H1N1) 2009 virus infection, People's Republic of China, 2009Cao Bin
Capital Medical University, Beijing, People s Republic of China
Emerg Infect Dis 15:1418-22. 2009On May 7, 2009, a national network was organized in the People's Republic of China for the surveillance, reporting, diagnosis, and treatment of influenza A pandemic (H1N1) 2009 virus infection (pandemic [H1N1] 2009)...
- The structure of haplotype blocks in the human genomeStacey B Gabriel
Whitehead MIT Center for Genome Research, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Science 296:2225-9. 2002..Our results provide a foundation for the construction of a haplotype map of the human genome, facilitating comprehensive genetic association studies of human disease...
- Body weight and mortality among men and women in ChinaDongfeng Gu
Cardiovascular Institute and Fu Wai Hospital of the Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, and Chinese National Center for Cardiovascular Disease Control and Research, Beijing, China
JAMA 295:776-83. 2006..The effect of underweight and obesity on mortality has not been well characterized in Asian populations...
- Suicide rates in China, 1995-99Michael R Phillips
Beijing Suicide Research and Prevention Center, Beijing Hui Long Guan Hospital, Beijing 100096, People s Republic of China
Lancet 359:835-40. 2002A wide range of suicide rates are reported for China because official mortality data are based on an unrepresentative sample and because different reports adjust crude rates in different ways...
- Geographic distribution, virologic and clinical characteristics of hepatitis B virus genotypes in ChinaG Zeng
Hepatology Unit and Department of Infectious Diseases, Nanfang Hospital, Southern Medical University, Guangzhou, Guangdong, China
J Viral Hepat 12:609-17. 2005..The aim of this study was to determine the distribution and virologic characteristics of HBV genotypes in China and possible association with the diversity of liver disease...
- Mortality attributable to smoking in ChinaDongfeng Gu
Department of Evidence Based Medicine, Cardiovascular Institute and Fu Wai Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, China
N Engl J Med 360:150-9. 2009Smoking is a risk factor for many diseases and has been increasingly prevalent in economically developing regions of the world. We aimed to estimate the number of deaths attributable to smoking in China.
- Meta-analysis: prevalence of HIV infection and syphilis among MSM in ChinaL Gao
Institute of Pathogen Biology, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking UnionMedical College, Beijing, PR China
Sex Transm Infect 85:354-8. 2009..of HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases is rapidly rising among men who have sex with men (MSM) in China. The aim is to systematically review the published studies and summarise the estimates of HIV prevalence among MSM ..
- Dietary sources of sodium in China, Japan, the United Kingdom, and the United States, women and men aged 40 to 59 years: the INTERMAP studyCheryl A M Anderson
Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 110:736-45. 2010..epidemiologic study of 4, 680 individuals ages 40 to 59 years from Japan (four samples), People's Republic of China (three rural samples), the United Kingdom (two samples), and the United States (eight samples); four in-depth, ..
- Risk factors for suicide in China: a national case-control psychological autopsy studyMichael R Phillips
Beijing Suicide Research and Prevention Center, Beijing Hui Long Guan Hospital, 100096, Beijing, People s Republic of China
Lancet 360:1728-36. 2002Suicide is the fifth most important cause of death in China, but the reasons for the high rate and unique pattern of characteristics of those who kill themselves are unknown.
- Estimation and projection of the national profile of cancer mortality in China: 1991-2005L Yang
International Agency for Research on Cancer, 150 cours Albert Thomas, 69372 Lyon Cedex 08, France
Br J Cancer 90:2157-66. 2004There are no national-level data on cancer mortality in China since two surveys in 1973-1975 and 1990-1992 (a 10% sample), but ongoing surveillance systems, based on nonrandom selected populations, give an indication as to the trends for ..
- Spatial and temporal distribution of falciparum malaria in ChinaHualiang Lin
National Institute for Communicable Disease Control and Prevention, China CDC, State Key Laboratory for Infectious Disease Prevention and Control, Beijing, PR China
Malar J 8:130. 2009..the launch of the National Malaria Control Programme in 1955, malaria remains a serious public health problem in China. This paper aimed to analyse the geographic distribution, demographic patterns and time trends of falciparum ..
- Nosocomial transmission of human granulocytic anaplasmosis in ChinaLijuan Zhang
National Institute of Communicable Disease Control and Prevention, China, CDC, Beijing, China, PO Box 5, Changping, Beijing, China 102206
JAMA 300:2263-70. 2008Human granulocytic anaplasmosis (HGA) is an emerging tick-borne disease in China. A cluster of cases among health care workers and family members following exposure to a patient with fulminant disease consistent with HGA prompted ..
- Prevalence of and risk factors for fatty liver in a general population of Shanghai, ChinaJian Gao Fan
Center for Fatty Liver, Shanghai First People s Hospital, Jiaotong University, Shanghai, China
J Hepatol 43:508-14. 2005..To determine the prevalence and risk factors of fatty liver (FL) among Shanghai adults...
- Epidemiology of human alveolar echinococcosis in ChinaPhilip S Craig
Bioscience Research Institute, University of Salford, Salford, Greater Manchester, M54WT, UK
Parasitol Int 55:S221-5. 2006..principally in some areas of North America, west-central Europe, the Near East, Siberia, Central Asia, Japan and China. In China the first human cases were reported from western regions in the 1960s, but most hospital records remain ..
- Coronary heart disease in ChinaX H Zhang
Department of Community and Family Medicine, School of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Heart 94:1126-31. 2008..Although mortality from CHD in China is relatively low compared with Western levels, the burden of CHD has been increasing...
- Phthalate esters (PAEs): emerging organic contaminants in agricultural soils in peri-urban areas around Guangzhou, ChinaFeng Zeng
School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangdong, Guangzhou 51027, China
Environ Pollut 156:425-34. 2008..In addition, both pH and texture of soils are found to be important factors affecting the level of PAEs. This study shows that the agricultural soils in the peri-urban area of Guangzhou city were moderately polluted by PAEs...
- Prevalence and predictors of HIV infection among female sex workers in Kaiyuan City, Yunnan Province, ChinaHaibo Wang
National Center for AIDS STD Prevention and Control, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, 27 Nanwei Rd, Beijing 100050, PR China
Int J Infect Dis 13:162-9. 2009Sexual transmission is the fastest growing route of HIV transmission in China. We undertook this study to describe the risk factors for HIV infection in female sex workers (FSWs), and to determine the commercial sex venues where FSWs are ..
- Distribution of phthalate esters in urban soils of subtropical city, Guangzhou, ChinaFeng Zeng
School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangdong, Guangzhou, China
J Hazard Mater 164:1171-8. 2009..The environmental and human health risks posed by PAEs in the urban soils of Guangzhou city may deserve further attention...
- A drinking water crisis in Lake Taihu, China: linkage to climatic variability and lake managementBoqiang Qin
State Key Laboratory of Lake Science and Environment, Nanjing Institute of Geography and Limnology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 73 East Beijing Road, Nanjing 21008, People s Republic of China
Environ Manage 45:105-12. 2010In late May, 2007, a drinking water crisis took place in Wuxi, Jiangsu Province, China, following a massive bloom of the toxin producing cyanobacteria Microcystis spp. in Lake Taihu, China's third largest freshwater lake...
- [Predictive values of body mass index and waist circumference to risk factors of related diseases in Chinese adult population]Beifan Zhou
Department of Epidemiology, Fu Wai Hospital, Peking Union Medical College and Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Beijing 100037, China
Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi 23:5-10. 2002..The Working Group on Obesity in China (WGOC) under the support of International Life Sciences Institute Focal point in China organized a meta-analysis ..
- The HIV epidemic in Yunnan Province, China, 1989-2007Manhong Jia
Yunnan Center for AIDS STD Transmitted Disease Control and Prevention, China
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 53:S34-40. 2010To investigate the characteristics and trends in the HIV epidemic in Yunnan province, China, between 1989 and 2007.
- Immunization status and risk factors of migrant children in densely populated areas of Beijing, ChinaMeiping Sun
Institute of Immunization and Prevention, Beijing Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Beijing, China
Vaccine 28:1264-74. 2010..To properly evaluate the immunization status and determine risk factors of migrant children in 23 densely populated towns and townships in Beijing...
- Sexual risk behaviors and HIV infection among men who have sex with men who use the internet in Beijing and Urumqi, ChinaHuachun Zou
National Center for AIDS STD Control and Prevention, Beijing, China
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 53:S81-7. 2010..To assess HIV and syphilis infections among men who have sex with men who use the internet (MSMUI) and their risk behaviors...
- Epidemiological characteristics of diabetes mellitus and impaired glucose regulation in a Chinese adult population: the Shanghai Diabetes Studies, a cross-sectional 3-year follow-up study in Shanghai urban communitiesW P Jia
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Affiliated Sixth People s Hospital, Shanghai Diabetes Institute, Shanghai Clinical Center of Diabetes, 600 Yishan Road, Shanghai, 200233, China
Diabetologia 50:286-92. 2007..To estimate the prevalence and incidence of diabetes mellitus and impaired glucose regulation (IGR) in a Chinese population aged 20-94 years...
- Microbial biogeography of six salt lakes in Inner Mongolia, China, and a salt lake in ArgentinaEulyn Pagaling
Department of Infection, Immunity, and Inflammation, University of Leicester, University Road, Leicester LE19HN, United Kingdom
Appl Environ Microbiol 75:5750-60. 2009..methods to investigate the prokaryotic biogeography of the water column in six salt lakes in Inner Mongolia, China, and a salt lake in Argentina...
- Emergence of the GII4/2006b variant and recombinant noroviruses in ChinaMiao Jin
National Institute for Viral Disease Control and Prevention, China CDC, Beijing, China
J Med Virol 80:1997-2004. 2008..Surveillance of gastroenteritis in hospitalized children under 5 years of age in China is described. Among 1,110 specimens, 114 (10...
- Impact of body mass index on incident hypertension and diabetes in Chinese Asians, American Whites, and American Blacks: the People's Republic of China Study and the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities StudyJune Stevens
Department of Nutrition, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Am J Epidemiol 167:1365-74. 2008..American Whites (n = 10,776), and American Blacks (n = 3,582) using prospective data from the People's Republic of China Study (1983-1994) and the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study (1987-1998)...
- Genotyping of human cystic echinococcosis in Xinjiang, PR ChinaJ M Bart
First Teaching Hospital, Xinjiang Medical University, Urumqi 830000, PR China
Parasitology 133:571-9. 2006The Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, multi-ethnic province in northwestern China, is one of the most important foci of human cystic echinococcosis (CE) in the world...
- Effectiveness of an educational intervention on complementary feeding practices and growth in rural China: a cluster randomised controlled trialLing Shi
College of Nursing and Health Sciences, University of Massachusetts Boston, Boston, MA 02125, USA
Public Health Nutr 13:556-65. 2010..We developed an educational intervention, delivered by local health-care providers, aimed at improving complementary feeding practices and child nutrition...
- Refractive error and visual impairment in urban children in southern chinaMingguang He
Zhongshan Ophthalmic Center, Guangzhou, People s Republic of China
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 45:793-9. 2004To assess the prevalence of refractive error and visual impairment in school-age children in a metropolitan area of southern China.
- Prevalence of HIV and STIs and associated risk factors among female sex workers in Guangdong Province, ChinaYan Li
Institute of HIV AIDS Control and Prevention, Guangdong Provincial Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Guangzhou, China
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 53:S48-53. 2010To assess the prevalence of HIV and sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and associated factors among female sex workers (FSWs) in Guangdong, China.
- China's health system and its reform: a review of recent studiesAdam Wagstaff
Development Research Group, The World Bank, Washington, DC 20433, USA
Health Econ 18:S7-23. 2009This paper provides a survey of the recent empirical research on China's 'old' health system (i.e. prior to the spate of reforms beginning in 2003)...
- Prevalence of diabetic retinopathy in rural China: the Handan Eye StudyFeng Hua Wang
Beijing Tongren Eye Center, Beijing Tongren Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing Ophthalmology and Visual Science Key Lab, Beijing, China
Ophthalmology 116:461-7. 2009To describe the age- and gender-specific prevalence, characteristics, and severity of diabetic retinopathy (DR) in a rural population in northern China.
- Human Streptococcus suis outbreak, Sichuan, ChinaHongjie Yu
Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Beijing, People s Republic of China
Emerg Infect Dis 12:914-20. 2006..215 cases of human Streptococcus suis infections, 66 of which were laboratory confirmed, were reported in Sichuan, China. All infections occurred in backyard farmers who were directly exposed to infection during the slaughtering ..
- Epidemiological investigations of human rabies in ChinaMiao Song
State Key Laboratory for Molecular Virology and Genetic Engineering, National Institute for Viral Disease Control and Prevention, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Beijing 100052, PR China
BMC Infect Dis 9:210. 2009The epidemic of rabies showed a rising trend in China in recent years. To identify the potential factors involved in the emergence, we investigated and analyzed the status and characteristics of human rabies between 1996 and 2008...
- Molecular characterization of the E gene of dengue virus type 1 isolated in Guangdong province, China, in 2006K Zheng
Center for Diseases Control and Prevention of Guangdong province, Guangzhou, PR China
Epidemiol Infect 137:73-8. 2009..and origin of the dengue virus (DENV) responsible for an outbreak of dengue fever (DF) in Guangdong province, China, in 2006...
- Season, sex, age, and education as modifiers of the effects of outdoor air pollution on daily mortality in Shanghai, China: The Public Health and Air Pollution in Asia (PAPA) StudyHaidong Kan
Department of Environmental Health, School of Public Health, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
Environ Health Perspect 116:1183-8. 2008..Various factors can modify the health effects of outdoor air pollution. Prior findings about modifiers are inconsistent, and most of these studies were conducted in developed countries...
- Injury-related fatalities in China: an under-recognised public-health problemS Y Wang
Centre for Injury Prevention and Control, Medical College of Jinan University, Guangzhou, Guangdong, China
Lancet 372:1765-73. 2008..to the important but largely unrecognised public-health problem of injury-related mortality and morbidity in China. Injuries account for more than 10% of all deaths and more than 30% of all potentially productive years of life ..
- Syphilis in China: results of a national surveillance programmeZhi Qiang Chen
National Center for STD Control, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College Institute of Dermatology, 12 Jiangwangmiao Street, Nanjing 210042, China
Lancet 369:132-8. 2007After a massive syphilis epidemic in the first half of the 20th century, China was able to eliminate this infection for 20 years (1960-80)...
- Potential impact of climate change on schistosomiasis transmission in ChinaXiao Nong Zhou
National Institute of Parasitic Diseases, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Shanghai, People s Republic of China
Am J Trop Med Hyg 78:188-94. 2008..model to assess the potential impact of rising temperature on the transmission of schistosomiasis in China. We found a temperature threshold of 15...
- Systematic review of HIV and HCV infection among drug users in ChinaY P Bao
National Institute on Drug Dependence, Peking University, Hai Dian District, Beijing 100191, China
Int J STD AIDS 20:399-405. 2009To determine the HIV and hepatitis C virus (HCV) geographical distribution among drug users in China, a systematic literature review of 40 peer-reviewed publications (comprising 15,565 drug users) was conducted...
- The new cooperative medical scheme in ChinaXuedan You
Department of Public Health, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
Health Policy 91:1-9. 2009..insurance program established in 2003 to reduce the risk of catastrophic health spending for rural residents in China. In this review, we present the current collection of knowledge available regarding the performance of NCMS on the ..
- Prevalence and correlates of HIV and syphilis infections among men who have sex with men in Chongqing Municipality, ChinaYan Xiao
National Center for AIDS STD Control and Prevention, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Beijing 100050, People s Republic of China
Sex Transm Dis 36:647-56. 2009To examine the prevalence and correlates of HIV/syphilis infections and sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) among men who have sex with men (MSM) in Chongqing, China.
- Extending health insurance to the rural population: an impact evaluation of China's new cooperative medical schemeAdam Wagstaff
Development Research Group, The World Bank, 1818 H Street NW, Washington, DC 20433, USA
J Health Econ 28:1-19. 2009In 2003, China launched a heavily subsidized voluntary health insurance program for rural residents...
- Risk factors for syphilis and prevalence of HIV, hepatitis B and C among men who have sex with men in Beijing, China: implications for HIV preventionYuhua Ruan
Epidemiology and Biostatistics Branch, Division of Virology and Immunology, State Key Laboratory for Infectious Disease Prevention and Control, NCAIDS, Chinese CDC, Beijing 100050, People s Republic of China
AIDS Behav 13:663-70. 2009..syphilis and the prevalence for HIV, hepatitis B, hepatitis C among men-who-have-sex-with-men (MSM) in Beijing, China. A total of 541 MSM was recruited using peer-referral, community outreach, and Internet...
- Prevalence, treatment, and associated disability of mental disorders in four provinces in China during 2001-05: an epidemiological surveyMichael R Phillips
WHO Collaborating Centre for Research and Training in Suicide Prevention, Beijing Hui Long Guan Hospital, Beijing, China
Lancet 373:2041-53. 2009In China and other middle-income countries, neuropsychiatric conditions are the most important cause of ill health in men and women, but efforts to scale up mental health services have been hampered by the absence of high-quality, ..
- A pre-Archaeopteryx troodontid theropod from China with long feathers on the metatarsusDongyu Hu
Paleontological Institute, Shenyang Normal University, 253 North Huanghe Street, Shenyang 110034, China
Nature 461:640-3. 2009..small theropod specimen collected from the earliest Late Jurassic Tiaojishan Formation of western Liaoning, China. The specimen is referable to the Troodontidae, which are among the theropods most closely related to birds...
- Causes of deaths in children younger than 5 years in China in 2008Igor Rudan
Centre for Population Health Sciences, University of Edinburgh Medical School, Edinburgh, UK
Lancet 375:1083-9. 2010Previous estimates of the global burden of disease for children have not included much information from China, leading to a large gap in data...
- Prevalence of cardiovascular disease risk factor clustering among the adult population of China: results from the International Collaborative Study of Cardiovascular Disease in Asia (InterAsia)Dongfeng Gu
Cardiovascular Institute, Fu Wai Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medial College, Beijing, China
Circulation 112:658-65. 2005The prevalence of cardiovascular disease (CVD) risk factors has been increasing in China.
- Prevalence and risk factors of overweight and obesity in ChinaKristi Reynolds
Department of Epidemiology, Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, 1430 Tulane Avenue SL 18, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 15:10-8. 2007To examine the prevalence and risk factors of overweight and obesity in China.
- A potential impact of climate change and water resource development on the transmission of Schistosoma japonicum in ChinaG J Yang
Jiangsu Institute of Parasitic Diseases, Wuxi, Jiangsu, People s Republic of China
Parassitologia 47:127-34. 2005..30-year composite datasets comprising average monthly temperatures collected at 623 observing stations throughout China, spanning the periods 1961-1990 and 1971-2000...
- Dramatic increase of Cesarean deliveries in the midst of health reforms in rural ChinaLennart Bogg
Department of Public Health Sciences, Division of Global Health IHCAR, Karolinska Institutet, Nobel s väg 9, 17177 Stockholm, Sweden
Soc Sci Med 70:1544-9. 2010Cesarean delivery (CD) rates were until recently low in rural China where the population lacked health insurance. In July 2003 the New Cooperative Medical Scheme (NCMS) was introduced...
- A new HPV-DNA test for cervical-cancer screening in developing regions: a cross-sectional study of clinical accuracy in rural ChinaYou Lin Qiao
Cancer Institute, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, China
Lancet Oncol 9:929-36. 2008..5 h, to screen women in developing regions for cervical intraepithelial neoplasia (CIN). We did a cross-sectional study to assess the clinical accuracy of careHPV as a rapid screening test in two county hospitals in rural China.
- High variation and strong phylogeographic pattern among cpDNA haplotypes in Taxus wallichiana (Taxaceae) in China and North VietnamL M Gao
Key Laboratory of Biodiversity and Biogeography, Kunming Institute of Botany, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 132 Lanhei Road, Kunming, Yunnan 650204, China
Mol Ecol 16:4684-98. 2007We studied the phylogeography of Chinese yew (Taxus wallichiana), a tree species distributed over most of southern China and adjacent regions...
- Local literature bias in genetic epidemiology: an empirical evaluation of the Chinese literatureZhenglun Pan
Department of Rheumatology, Shandong Provincial Hospital, Jinan 250021, Shandong, China
PLoS Med 2:e334. 2005..Postulated epidemiological associations are subject to several biases. We evaluated whether the Chinese literature on human genome epidemiology may offer insights on the operation of selective reporting and language biases...
- Molecular epidemiology of HCV monoinfection and HIV/HCV coinfection in injection drug users in Liuzhou, Southern ChinaYi Tan
Stanley Ho Centre for Emerging Infectious Diseases, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
PLoS ONE 3:e3608. 2008..Access to harm reduction measures is opening up opportunities for improving the HIV/HCV profiling of IDU in China, where IDUs account for a significant proportion of the two infections especially in the southern part of the ..
- Prevalence and causes of visual impairment in Chinese adults in urban southern ChinaShengsong Huang
State Key Laboratory of Ophthalmology, Zhongshan Ophthalmic Center, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, China
Arch Ophthalmol 127:1362-7. 2009To assess the prevalence and causes of visual impairment and blindness in adults living in an urban area of southern China.
- The survey of H5N1 flu virus in wild birds in 14 Provinces of China from 2004 to 2007Zheng Kou
State Key Laboratory of Virology, Wuhan Institute of Virology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Wuhan, China
PLoS ONE 4:e6926. 2009..The highly pathogenic H5N1 avian influenza emerged in the year 1996 in Asia, and has spread to Europe and Africa recently. At present, effective monitoring and data analysis of H5N1 are not sufficient in Chinese mainland...
- Unexpected sequence types in livestock associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA): MRSA ST9 and a single locus variant of ST9 in pig farming in ChinaJaap A Wagenaar
Department of Infectious Diseases and Immunology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Utrecht University, P O Box 80 165, 3508 TD Utrecht, The Netherlands
Vet Microbiol 139:405-9. 2009In October 2008 nine farrow-to-finish pig farms were visited in Shuangliu County in Sichuan Province, China. One farm was empty for one month but not cleaned after depopulation...
- Factors influencing internet addiction in a sample of freshmen university students in ChinaXiaoli Ni
School of Humanities and Social Sciences, Xi an Jiaotong University, Shaanxi Province, China
Cyberpsychol Behav 12:327-30. 2009..A total of 3557 first-year university students from a university in northwest China were surveyed with Young's 20-item Internet Addiction Test (IAT) questionnaire, a Self-Rating Depression scale (..
- Streptococcus suis sequence type 7 outbreak, Sichuan, ChinaChangyun Ye
State Key Laboratory for Infectious Disease Prevention and Control, National Institute for Communicable Disease Control and Prevention, Changping, Beijing 102206, People s Republic of China
Emerg Infect Dis 12:1203-8. 2006..2 emerged in the summer of 2005 in Sichuan Province, and sporadic infections occurred in 4 additional provinces of China. In total, 99 S...
- NIH Director's Pioneer AwardJunying Yuan; Fiscal Year: 2009..No Abstract provided ..
- Advanced Nitric Oxide Release Bactericidal Urinary CathetersMark E Meyerhoff; Fiscal Year: 2013..BWTEK (Newark, DE) with offices in Japan, Germany, and China and a strong global sales team and vast experience with medical devices and laser startups, will acquire/incubate ..
- Impact of Diabetes and Hyperlipidemia on Host DefenseHardy Kornfeld; Fiscal Year: 2013..Immune deficiency in DM is less severe than AIDS, but DM is more prevalent and is increasing sharply in India and China, which already have high rates of TB...
- Parenting, Adolescent Self-Regulation, and Risk-Taking Across CulturesJennifer E Lansford; Fiscal Year: 2013..by recruiting a sample of 1,417 8-year-olds and their mothers and fathers from 13 cultures (Jinan and Shanghai, China;Colombia;Naples and Rome, Italy;Jordan;Kenya;Philippines;Sweden;Thailand;and African, European, and Hispanic ..
- Human developmental toxicity of metal mixture exposure from e-waste recyclingAimin Chen; Fiscal Year: 2010..health problem by recruiting 600 pregnant women (300 from an e-waste recycling site and 300 from a control site in China) and following up to 9 months postpartum...
- A novel allele influencing HIV infection among injection drug usersXiao Fang Yu; Fiscal Year: 2012..in injection drug users (IDUs) also represents a growing problem in southeast Asia and eastern Europe: In China, IDUs account for more than 50% of HIV-1 infections...
- Crystalline Endolysin Treatment for Tuberculosis in TB/HIV co-infected patientsBHAMI C SHENOY; Fiscal Year: 2012..results show that one in every 4 TB patients diagnosed with MDR-TB in Russia and about 50% of MDR-TB burden is in China and India. Worldwide there are 440,000 MDR-TB cases and 150,000 deaths occurred in 2008. About 5...
- Continuation of FERN Activities at the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment StatioLAURIE J PETERSON-WRIGHT; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have used GC-MS to detect melamine in food products from China and pesticide residues in fruits and vegetables...
- Establishing the Precursors of Osteoporosis in ChildrenXiping Xu; Fiscal Year: 2010..twin cohort (-2,000 twin pairs) of children and adolescents, enrolled previously in 1998-2000 in Anqing, China, with an age range of 6-21 years...
- INTERNATIONAL GENETIC EPIDEMIOLOGY OF ORAL CLEFTSTerri H Beaty; Fiscal Year: 2013..palate, CLP;and cleft palate, CP) by recruiting cases from 5 sites (Maryland, Singapore, Taiwan, and 2 sites in China)...
- Lab-on-a-chip for Neonatal Hyperbilirubinemia ScreeningVijay Srinivasan; Fiscal Year: 2012..In China, 35% of full term newborns were noted to have significant hyperbilirubinemia...
- Multi-center Controlled Clinical Trials in Alport Syndrome-A Feasibility StudyClifford E Kashtan; Fiscal Year: 2013..Funding for this feasibility study will enable the five regional recruitment centers in the United States, Canada, China, France and Germany to interrogate existing Alport syndrome registries and databases, and monitor accrual of new ..
- Histone modifications and respiratory effects of traffic particle exposureLifang Hou; Fiscal Year: 2013..data and biospecimens from our recently completed Beijing Truck Driver Air Pollution Study (BTDAS) in Beijing, China, one of the most polluted cities in the world...
- Environmental Triggers of Cardiometabolic DiseaseSanjay Rajagopalan; Fiscal Year: 2013..with focused investigations in environments with the highest levels of exposure (developing countries such as China and India), are likely to provide new and much needed data on the risk posed by these variables on an individuals ..
- Molecular epidemiology of drug resistance and population genetic structure of PlaFangli Lu; Fiscal Year: 2013Project Summary/Abstract Malaria remains a serious public health problem in China. In the subtropical Yunnan Province and the tropical Hainan Island of China, malaria has been the most endemic with high transmission of both Plasmodium ..
- Biomarkers of NNK in prediction of lung cancer development in smokersJian Min Yuan; Fiscal Year: 2013..The Shanghai Cohort Study enrolled 18,244 men aged 45-64 years in Shanghai, China, during 1986-89...
- GENETIC & ENVIRONMENTAL RISK FACTORS FOR BLADDER CANCERMalcolm Pike; Fiscal Year: 2009..on this finding and launched a population-based case-control study involving both a Los Angeles and a Shanghai, China component to explore genetic factors that play a major role in determining bladder cancer risk in arylamine-..
- Substituting Brown Rice for White Rice: Effect on Diabetes Risk Factors in IndiaMohan Viswanathan; Fiscal Year: 2012..The long-term goal is to develop a multi-center nutritional-intervention in India, China, Africa and Latin America to create sustainable diabetes prevention strategies through improving carbohydrate ..
- Monitoring Social Change: Health, Reproduction, AgingBarry M Popkin; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The China Health and Nutrition Survey (CHNS) is a multipurpose panel survey that has followed more than 19,000 individual in 216 communities throughout China from 1989 to 2006...
- Modifiable lifestyle-related factors and triple negative breast cancer prognosisSARAH JEAN NECHUTA; Fiscal Year: 2013..1,550 women diagnosed with invasive TNBC recruited from the United States, the United Kingdom, and Shanghai, China. Our overall hypothesis is that the associations of lifestyle-related factors with breast cancer recurrence and ..
- Fogarty Global Health Fellows Coordinating CenterCHARLES MICHAEL VAN DER HORST; Fiscal Year: 2013..training sites in Africa (Ghana, Malawi, South Africa (2), Swaziland, Uganda (2), Zambia), Asia (Bangladesh, China (3), India, Thailand) and South America (Argentina, Brazil, Peru)...
- UNC-CH Nutrition Obesity Research CenterSteven H Zeisel; Fiscal Year: 2013..leading edge of studying the global nutrition transition, with major longitudinal studies in the United States, China and the Philippines...
- Catalytic Antibody-Based Vaccine For Weight LossAMANDA LEE GARNER; Fiscal Year: 2010..such as the United States, overweight and obesity is significantly on the rise in developing nations such as China, India and Latin America representing a global public health crisis...
- Micro-RNA Profiling and Cardiovascular Effects of Traffic Particle ExposureLifang Hou; Fiscal Year: 2012..using data from the Beijing Truck Driver Air Pollution Study (BTDAS), our recently completed study in Beijing, China, one of the most polluted cities in the world...
- Ecology of Infectious Diseases (EID)-Immune Landscapes of Human Influenza in HousDerek Cummings; Fiscal Year: 2011..The urban and rural areas in and near Guangzhou and Dongguan in Guangdong province, China, provide a unique opportunity...
- Health and Retirement Survey for IndiaDavid Bloom; Fiscal Year: 2009..LASI will provide new research opportunities for researchers in the United States and in Asian countries such as China, Japan, and Korea that have comparable HRS-type surveys...
- Metabolic Engineering of Chinese Hamster Ovary Cells for Production of HeparinSusan T Sharfstein; Fiscal Year: 2011..This health crisis involved the adulteration of heparin produced from hogs in China with an oversulfated chondroitin sulfate, leading to the death of nearly 100 Americans...
- Hypocretin and its receptors Gene Transfer for NarcolepsyMeng Liu; Fiscal Year: 2013..I grew up in a small town about a thousand miles north of Beijing, China. I worked my way up through the Chinese system, obtaining both M.D. and Ph.D...
- Effect of Manganese Exposure on GABA and Glutamate in Human Brains by MRSUlrike Dydak; Fiscal Year: 2010..be subdivided into 10 Mn-exposed patients with manganism symptoms, 10 workers from a Fe-Mn-alloy manufacture in China performing jobs with known high Mn exposure, but without clinical symptoms, and 10 workers from low Mn-exposure ..
- Air pollution and fetal growth in ChinaYawei Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2013..Furthermore, early studies have been largely conducted in western populations, with few studies conducted in China which has the world's most polluted cities and the largest world burden in adverse pregnancy outcomes...
- Family-Based Genome-wide Association Study for Salt-Sensitivity of Blood PressureJiang He; Fiscal Year: 2011..family feeding study conducted in 3,153 participants from 658 families living in rural areas of northern China. Each GenSalt family was ascertained through a proband with untreated pre-hypertension or stage-1 hypertension ..
- Developing Medications for Nicotine CessationSelena E Bartlett; Fiscal Year: 2011..organizations, not-for profit organizations, Foundations and international relations with countries such as China, where the prevalence of smoking is so great it is considered a significant health and economic threat for the ..
- Neuroimaging for Early Diagnosis of Manganese Toxicity in Humans and RodentsUlrike Dydak; Fiscal Year: 2013..study (two time points over 4 years) will be established on a well-established cohort of Mn-exposed subjects in China (24 workers with low and with high Mn exposure each, 24 control subjects and 15 manganism patients)...
- Epigenetic Markers For Development of SchizophreniaAlessandro Guidotti; Fiscal Year: 2013..Investigators on this proposal, have been collaborating with a group of investigators in Hunan, China for several years (Wu et al., 2008;2012)...
- Urinary Biomarkers of Chronic Kidney Disease Pathology and ProgressionSushrut S Waikar; Fiscal Year: 2013..herbal nephropathy from our established collaboration with Peking University First Hospital (PUFH) in Beijing, China (N = 430;enrollment 7 per month);3) An epidemiological study on endemic (Balkan) nephropathy from the University ..
- Gene-environment EBV Interactions in the Etiology of Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma (NPHans Olov Adami; Fiscal Year: 2013..In China (where NPC is endemic in some areas) several smaller, often hospital- based studies have indicated that genetic ..
- HDAC Inhibitors Inspired by Natural ProductsDennis L Wright; Fiscal Year: 2012..taiwanhinoki (Chamaecyparis taiwanesis) and Japanese hinoki (Chamaecyparis obtuse) have been prized in Japan and China. The extracts of the tree (hinoki oil) have been valued for antibacterial and antiproliferative activity and are ..
- Biological Response to Air Quality Change in Beijing pre-, mid- and post-OlympicsLina Mu; Fiscal Year: 2013..proposed aims, we enrolled 201 adult males and females prior to the air quality improvement initiative in Beijing, China and followed these individuals over the course of the Olympics...
- Tulane-Xavier Minority Training in International HealthRichard A Oberhelman; Fiscal Year: 2013..of new antimalarial drugs in Mali, Lassa Fever and tropical diseases in Sierra Leone, cardiovascular diseases in China, and health behaviors of migrants in Thailand...
- The Complexity of Immigrant GenerationsSTEPHEN J TREJO; Fiscal Year: 2010..immigrant groups from Hispanic (Mexico, Puerto Rico, Cuba, El Salvador, and the Dominican Republic) and Asian (China, India, Japan, Korea, and the Philippines) source countries...
- Sexual Health among Low-Income Female CSWs in ChinaJENNIFER ZHIHUAN HUANG BOUEY; Fiscal Year: 2011..social/cognitive associates of sexual health among migrant and non-migrant female Street Walkers (SW) in Shanghai, China. Shanghai is China's largest cargo port and a major metropolitan area ...
- KSHV genome modification in KS tissueErle S Robertson; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will be collaborating with investigators in Shanghai and Northwest China Xinjiang province where KS incidence is quite high...
- Antigenic Variation of TprK in Treponema pallidumSheila A Lukehart; Fiscal Year: 2013..syphilis has doubled in the United States since 2000, and has increased dramatically in Western Europe and in China during that time...
- 2013 International Meeting on the Molecular Biology of Hepatitis B VirusesShuping Tong; Fiscal Year: 2013..20 - 23 at Shanghai Medical College, Fudan University, Shanghai, China. This meeting, which has been held consecutively since 1985, is the only forum that gathers the international ..
- EIAV Envelope Variation and Vaccine EfficacyRonald C Montelaro; Fiscal Year: 2013..In fact, the explosion of new HIV-1 infections being experienced in countries such as India, China, Russia, and South Africa and the failure to substantially reduce HIV-1 infections in targeted developing ..
- Demographic Analysis on Determinants of Healthy Longevity in ChinaYi Zeng; Fiscal Year: 2013..R01 application to continue the research project "Demographic Analysis on Determinants of Healthy Longevity in China" (PI: Yi Zeng)...
- New Methods for the Synthesis of Neurological Agents and Other Heterocyclic MolecLarry E Overman; Fiscal Year: 2013..Aspergillin PZ, also isolated in China, is reported to be an antitumor agent...
- Gender preference and maternal stress in ChinaKek Khee Loo; Fiscal Year: 2010..In China, the one-child policy is thought to heighten the strain in many families to produce a male child...
- Parent Behavior and Child Adjustment Across CulturesJennifer E Lansford; Fiscal Year: 2010..In the parent grant (R01HD054805-01A1), we will collect and analyze data in 8 countries (i.e., China, India, Italy, Kenya, Philippines, Sweden, Thailand, United States) and subgroups within these countries...
- Chiang Mai University HIV/AIDS Clinical Trials UnitThira Sirisanthana; Fiscal Year: 2013..Thailand was the first country in Asia with a major AIDS epidemic. The Thai epidemic curve leads those in India, China, and Vietnam by 5 - 10 years...
- Validating Biomarkers for the Prodrome and Transition to Psychosis in ShanghaiLarry J Seidman; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our current proposal, in response to the RFA-AI-12-021: "U.S.-China Program for Biomedical Collaborative Research (R01)" will build upon and extend the R21 at the SMHC by expanding ..
- US-China Collaborative Research on Stroke ImagingJinyuan Zhou; Fiscal Year: 2013..Stroke is a leading cause of death and disability among adults worldwide, second in China and fourth in the US...
- Mechanism of Action of L THP as an Alternative Therapy for Cocaine AddictionLee Yuan Liu-Chen; Fiscal Year: 2013..from tubers of Corydalis yanhuso, which is one of the five components of an herbal remedy (NPI-025) used in China to treat opium smoking for over 150 years...
- The Role of Cell Wall Lipids in Pathogenesis of Rifampin-Resistant TBPetros C Karakousis; Fiscal Year: 2013..The situation is particularly acute in China, which is one of 27 high-burden MDR-TB countries...
- Case Control Study of Pancreas Cancer in Shanghai, ChinaHarvey A Risch; Fiscal Year: 2012..Compared to the US, pancreas cancer is less frequent in China (and gastric cancer more frequent), yet risk factors for these cancers?gastric colonization by Helicobacter pylori,..
- Vanderbilt-Emory-Cornell-Duke Consortium for Global Health Fellows (VECDor)Sten H Vermund; Fiscal Year: 2013..selected as diverse, well-funded research sites in Africa (Kenya, Zambia, Tanzania, Rwanda), Asia (India, China, Vietnam), Latin America (Brazil, Mexico), and the Caribbean (Haiti)...
- Breast cancer prevention with NexrutineSUSAN PATRICIA LANZA-JACOBYY; Fiscal Year: 2012..HEALTH RELEVANCE: Nexrutine is a botanical extract from the Phellodendron amurense tree that is native to Northern China and is one of the top 50 herbs used in traditional Chinese medicine for its anti-inflammatory properities...
- Collaborative Care for Depressed Elders in ChinaShulin Chen; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): As a major public health issue in China and worldwide, late life depression is associated with physical limitations, greater functional impairment, increased utilization and cost of health care, and ..
- Metabolomics-Measured Urinary Metabolites, Diet and BP, 17 Random SamplesLINDA VERNER VAN HORN; Fiscal Year: 2013..participants (women and men ages 40-59 from 17 population samples - - 4 in Japan;3, People's Republic of China;2, UK;8, USA)...
- HBV Response to Tenofovir or Lamivudine-Based ART in HIV-HBV Co-Infected ChineseChloe L Thio; Fiscal Year: 2013..majority of persons with chronic hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection live in resource-limited settings (RLS) such as China where 10-20% of the 780,000 HIV-infected patients are co-infected with HBV...
- Natural competence and genetic manipulation of Treponema pallidumLorenzo Giacani; Fiscal Year: 2012..syphilis has nearly doubled in the United States since 2000, and has increased dramatically in Western Europe and China during that time...
- Helicobacter pylori blood biomarker for gastric cancer risk in East AsiaMeira Epplein; Fiscal Year: 2013..assembled a consortium of eight prospective cohort studies in the high gastric cancer-incidence populations of China, Japan, and Korea, to determine if we can replicate this novel biomarker panel for gastric cancer risk...
- Antigenic Relationships of SARS and Animal CoronavirusesLinda Saif; Fiscal Year: 2006..Genetically similar SARS CoV were isolated from civet cats and raccoon dogs in China and from a recent human SARS case in China suggesting the latter SARS virus reemerged from an animal reservoir...
- Emerging Helminthiases in China: Genetic Diversity,Zheng Feng; Fiscal Year: 2006This revised version of our TMRC P50 application, re-titled "Emerging Helminthiasis in China: Genetic Diversity, Transmission Dynamics, and the Impact of Environmental Changes", has been prepared to reflect and incorporate the ..
- Community-based Methamphetamine Use & HIV Risk in ChinaBrian C Kelly; Fiscal Year: 2010..Nations Office on Drugs &Crime (2004) reports large increases in methamphetamine production and abuse in China. However, little epidemiologic data from community-based studies is currently available to examine the nature and ..
- Behavioral Health Informatics Capacity-Building in ChinaRobert Friedman; Fiscal Year: 2009..FIRCA proposal has the goal of establishing behavioral informatics research laboratories and research capacity in China. The long range goal is to spread behavioral informatics research capacity throughout China and in other ..
- US-China-Japan Research Consortium on Herbal MedicinesDavid Eisenberg; Fiscal Year: 2004..is to develop a formal collaborative partnership involving investigators from the Harvard Medical School, the China Academy of Traditional Chinese Medicine, the Chinese University of Hong Kong, and Keio University (Japan) to ..
- International Public Health Research Ethics Education and Curriculum DevelopmentBenfu Li; Fiscal Year: 2007..SARS and the threat of pandemic avian influenza have made it clear to the public and to the Government in China that public health must be a high priority...
- ORAL-FACIAL CLEFTS IN CHINAMichael Melnick; Fiscal Year: 1990..The need to perform genetic hypothesis testing with various Asian populations, including Japan and China, remains...
- Improving Methadone Maintenance Treatment Compliance and Outcomes in ChinaYih Ing Hser; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): China faces the challenge of dual epidemics of drug use and HIV/AIDS...
- Bioactive Compounds from the Biodiversity of Vietnam and LaosDjaja D Soejarto; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): This proposed ICBG (University of Illinois at Chicago/UIC-based China-Vietnam ICBG "Bioactive Compounds") is a modified continuation of the UlC-based Vietnam-Laos ICBG Phase II "Studies on ..
- Suicidal Behavior in Persons with Schizophrenia in ChinaMAOSHENG RAN; Fiscal Year: 2005..Major collaborative colleagues are from University of Rochester and Sichuan University (China). Suicide research and prevention for persons with schizophrenia are international public health priorities...
- DIET AND CANCER IN CHINAColin Campbell; Fiscal Year: 1993..from a series of cross-sectional surveys in 138 villages (2 in each of 69 counties) in the People's Republic of China (PRC) and 30 villages (2 in each of 15 counties) in Taiwan (funded elsewhere)...
- Population genetic structure and bionomics of Anopheles lesteri in ChinaYajun Ma; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Project Summary: Malaria is an important public health problem in China. The World Health Organization estimated that the annual number of malaria cases in China was about 740,000 in ..
- Virological Surveillance of influenza A in Asian lakesScott Rogers; Fiscal Year: 2006..One of the major avian migratory paths in Asia is from Siberia to China. We have begun to isolate, identify, and enumerate influenza gene subtypes in arctic lakes in northeastern Siberia ..
- ARSENIC TRIOXIDE TREATMENT OF LYMPHOPROLIFERATIVE DISORDSamuel Waxman; Fiscal Year: 2003As2O3, given by an intravenous infusion empirically designed in China, has become a new therapeutic agent of choice in the treatment of refractory acute promyelocytic leukemia (APL)...
- Chinese Dementia Care Research CenterSue Levkoff; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): With its rapidly aging population, China faces an inevitable increase in age-related diseases. A recent epidemiological study found a 4...