- Effective control of dengue vectors with curtains and water container covers treated with insecticide in Mexico and Venezuela: cluster randomised trials
Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Medicine TDR WHO, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
BMJ 332:1247-52. 2006
..To measure the impact on the dengue vector population (Aedes aegypti) and disease transmission of window curtains and water container covers treated with insecticide...
- High sequence diversity and evidence of balancing selection in the Pvmsp3alpha gene of Plasmodium vivax in the Venezuelan Amazon
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London WC1E 7HT, UK
Mol Biochem Parasitol 144:86-93. 2005
..Our findings support the use of Pvmsp3alpha genotyping as a tool for monitoring interventions aimed at control of P. vivax...
- [Tuberculosis in subjects under 15 years of age in the population of Warao in Venezuela]
Carlos Fernández de Larrea
Escuela de Medicina José María Vargas, Universidad Central de Venezuela, Caracas, Venezuela
Invest Clin 43:35-48. 2002
..The Warao people of the Delta Amacuro State in Venezuela, have a very high prevalence of adult TB, and we suspected that the Warao children would also have a high ..
- Environmental factors in Helicobacter pylori-related gastric precancerous lesions in Venezuela
Karmanos Cancer Institute Department of Pathology, Wayne State University, Detroit MI, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 13:468-76. 2004
..Among a population with an extremely high prevalence of HP infection ( approximately 95%) in Venezuela, we examined the relationship of household characteristics, smoking, alcohol drinking, dietary consumption, and ..
- Large urban outbreak of orally acquired acute Chagas disease at a school in Caracas, Venezuela
Belkisyolé Alarcón de Noya
Departments of Immunology, Instituto de Medicina Tropical, Universidad Central de Venezuela Código Postal 1041, Los Chaguaramos, Caracas, Venezuela
J Infect Dis 201:1308-15. 2010
..Trypanosoma cruzi oral transmission is possible through food contamination by vector's feces. Little is known about the epidemiology and clinical features of microepidemics of orally acquired acute Chagas disease (CD)...
- Prevalence and risk factors associated with the metabolic syndrome and dyslipidemia in White, Black, Amerindian and Mixed Hispanics in Zulia State, Venezuela
University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, 1450 NW 10th Avenue, Diabetes Research Institute 2054, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 69:63-77. 2005
..To estimate the prevalence of the MS and its components in Zulia State, Venezuela, and to establish associated demographic and clinical factors, we evaluated 3108 Hispanic men and women aged 20 ..
- Leishmania and sand flies: proximity to woodland as a risk factor for infection in a rural focus of visceral leishmaniasis in west central Venezuela
M Dora Feliciangeli
Universidad de Carabobo, Nucleo Aragua, Maracay, Venezuela
Trop Med Int Health 11:1785-91. 2006
To relate entomological, epidemiological and geographical data to understand the transmission dynamics of visceral leishmaniasis (VL) in a closed focus in western Venezuela.
- Abundance of Lutzomyia ovallesi but not Lu. gomezi (Diptera: Psychodidae) correlated with cutaneous leishmaniasis incidence in north-central Venezuela
M D Feliciangeli
Facultad de Ciencias de la Salud, Universidad de Carabobo, and Escuela de Malariología Dr Arnoldo Gabaldón
Med Vet Entomol 12:121-31. 1998
In north-central Venezuela Lutzomyia gomezi and Lu. ovallesi are the main endophilic/anthropophilic species of phlebotomine sandflies implicated as vectors of cutaneous leishmaniasis (CL)...
- Mixed domestic infestation by Rhodnius prolixus Stal, 1859 and Panstrongylus geniculatus Latreille, 1811, vector incrimination, and seroprevalence for Trypanosoma cruzi among inhabitants in El Guamito, Lara State, Venezuela
M Dora Feliciangeli
Facultad de Ciencias de la Salud, BIOMED, Universidad de Carabobo, Nucleo Aragua, Apartado 4873, Maracay, Venezuela
Am J Trop Med Hyg 71:501-5. 2004
..1811 was detected in 3 (15%) of 20 dwellings in El Guamito, an endemic focus of Chagas disease in Lara State, Venezuela. In one of the houses, both species were positive for Trypanosoma cruzi: 14.3% (R. prolixus) and 20% (P...
- [Economic impact of dengue and dengue hemorrhagic fever in the State of Zulia, Venezuela, 1997-2003]
Seccion de Virologia, Instituto de Investigaciones Clinicas Dr Americo Negrette, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad del Zulia, Maracaibo, Estado Zulia, Venezuela
Rev Panam Salud Publica 19:314-20. 2006
To determine the direct and indirect costs of medical care provided to cases of dengue and dengue hemorrhagic fever/dengue shock syndrome (DHF/DSS) between 1997 and 2003 in Zulia State, Venezuela.
- Abundance, biting behaviour and parous rate of anopheline mosquito species in relation to malaria incidence in gold-mining areas of southern Venezuela
J E Moreno
Instituto de Altos Estudios en Salud Pública Dr Arnoldo Gabaldon, Maracay, Venezuela, and Centro de Investigaciones de Campo Dr Francesco Vitanza, Tumeremo, Estado Bolivar, Venezuela
Med Vet Entomol 21:339-49. 2007
A longitudinal entomological and epidemiological study was conducted in five localities of southern Venezuela between January 1999 and April 2000 to determine the abundance, biting behaviour and parity of anopheline mosquitoes (Diptera: ..
- Evidence for clonal propagation in natural isolates of Plasmodium falciparum from Venezuela
Centro de Investigaciones Biomedicas, Universidad de Carabobo, , AP 2351, Maracay, Estado Aragua, Venezuela
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:6725-9. 2001
We have analyzed 75 isolates of Plasmodium falciparum, collected in Venezuela during both the dry (November) and rainy (May-July) seasons, with a range of genetic markers including antigen genes and 14 random amplified polymorphic DNA (..
- Mycobacterium tuberculosis ecology in Venezuela: epidemiologic correlates of common spoligotypes and a large clonal cluster defined by MIRU-VNTR-24
Laboratorio de Genetica Molecular, CMBC, Instituto Venezolano de Investigaciones Cientificas IVIC, 1020A Caracas, Venezuela
BMC Infect Dis 9:122. 2009
..We sought to investigate the prevalence of Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains in different regions of Venezuela. A previous study identified the most prevalent strains in Venezuela but did not show geographical distribution ..
- West Nile virus, Venezuela
Emerg Infect Dis 13:651-3. 2007
- [An entomological and seroepidemiological study of Chagas' disease in an area in central-western Venezuela infested with Triatoma maculata (Erichson 1848)]
María Elena Rojas
Decanato de Medicina, Universidad Centro Occidental Lisandro Alvarado, Barquisimeto, Venezuela
Cad Saude Publica 24:2323-33. 2008
..in a circumscribed area infested with Triatoma maculata in Parroquia Xaguas, Urdaneta Municipality, Lara State, Venezuela. One hundred and forty households, 509 persons, and 110 dogs were sampled...
- Parameters of Leishmania braziliensis transmission by indoor Lutzomyia ovallesi in Venezuela
Jorge E Rabinovich
Centro de Estudios Parasitologicos y de Vectores, Nacional de La Plata, La Plata, Provincia de Buenos Aires, Argentina
Am J Trop Med Hyg 70:373-82. 2004
..1494, P < 0.2). We discuss possible sources of error of our estimate of epsilon, and compare our parameter estimates with those obtained in Peru...
- Ecological characterization of the aquatic habitats of mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae) in enzootic foci of Venezuelan equine encephalitis virus in western Venezuela
Instituto de Zoologia Tropical, Universidad Central de Venezuela, Caracas 1041 A, Venezuela
J Med Entomol 42:278-84. 2005
..aquatic mosquito habitats in and around enzootic foci of Venezuelan Equine Encephalitis virus (VEE) in western Venezuela. Specimens were sampled for 5 mo in three types of vegetation: tall lowland tropical forests, short inundated/..
- Low transmission areas of schistosomiasis in Venezuela: consequences on the diagnosis, treatment, and control
Belkisyolé Alarcón de Noya
Catedra de Parasitologia, Escuela Luis Razetti, Universidad Central de Venezuela
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 101:29-35. 2006
Schistosomiasis low transmission areas as Venezuela, can be defined as those where the vector exists, the prevalence of active cases is under 25%, individuals with mild intensity of infection predominate and are mostly asymptomatic...
- Filariasis focus due to Mansonella ozzardi and Mansonella perstans in the Amazon Federal Territory of Venezuela
Tropical Medicine Institute U C V, Caracas, Venezuela
J Trop Med Hyg 93:160-5. 1990
..Indians from communities located on the Casiquiare and Guainia Rivers in the Amazon Federal Territory of Venezuela. The results gave an 82.5% prevalence for infections with Mansonella perstans and 30% for infections with M...
- Immune recovery uveitis in AIDS patients with cytomegalovirus retinitis treated with highly active antiretroviral therapy in Venezuela
J Fernando Arevalo
Retina and Vitreous Service, Clinica Oftalmologica Centro Caracas, Centro Caracas PH 1, Av Panteon, San Bernardino, Caracas 1010, Venezuela
Retina 23:495-502. 2003
- Use of the pupal/demographic-survey technique to identify the epidemiologically important types of containers producing Aedes aegypti (L.) in a dengue-endemic area of Venezuela
A E Lenhart
Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Pembroke Place, Liverpool L3 5QA, U K
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 100:S53-S59. 2006
..Results from larval and pupal surveys applied in Venezuela illustrate the uniqueness of the information gained from pupal surveys; information that is lost when ..
- Epizootics of yellow fever in Venezuela (2004-2005): an emerging zoonotic disease
Pedro M Rifakis
Pérez de Léon Hospital, Caracas, Venezuela
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1081:57-60. 2006
..and epizootics of yellow fever (YF) have been occurring in the border area of eastern Colombia and western Venezuela since 2003; for this reason many epidemiological control measures were adopted by the Ministry of Health (MOH) ..
- Population genetic structure of the dengue mosquito Aedes aegypti in Venezuela
Centro de Investigaciones Biomedicas, Universidad de Carabobo Callejón Cecilio Acosta, Avda Las Delicias, Maracay 2101, Aragua, Venezuela
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 101:625-33. 2006
The mosquito Aedes aegypti is the main vector of dengue in Venezuela. The genetic structure of this vector was investigated in 24 samples collected from eight geographic regions separated by up to 1160 km...
- Human infection with Ehrlichia canis accompanied by clinical signs in Venezuela
Department of Veterinary Biosciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, The Ohio State University, 1925 Coffey Road, Columbus, OH 43210 1093, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1078:110-7. 2006
..compatible with human monocytic ehrlichiosis (HME), who were admitted to the emergency clinic in Lara State, Venezuela, were studied...
- Malaria entomological inoculation rates in gold mining areas of Southern Venezuela
Jorge E Moreno
Instituto de Altos Estudios en Salud Pública Dr Arnoldo Gabaldon, Maracay, Venezuela
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 104:764-8. 2009
..of malaria vectors aiming to describe the intensity of transmission was carried out in five villages of Southern Venezuela between January 1999-April 2000...
- Ehrlichia platys (Anaplasma platys) in dogs from Maracaibo, Venezuela: an ultrastructural study of experimental and natural infections
Unidad de Investigacioned Clínicas Facultad de Ciencias Veterinarias, Universidad del Zulia, Maracaibo, Venezuela
Vet Pathol 40:149-56. 2003
Since 1982 Ehrlichia platys, now emended as Anaplasma platys, has been diagnosed in dogs from Maracaibo, Venezuela, using buffy coat smears stained with Dip Quick. Three dogs were inoculated with an A. platys strain...
- Brucellosis in Venezuela
Area de Medicina de Grandes Animales, Departamento de Medicina y Cirugia, Decanato de Ciencias Veterinarias, Universidad Centroccidental Lisandro Alvarado, Barquisimeto, Estado Lara 5001, Venezuela
Vet Microbiol 90:39-44. 2002
Brucellosis is a public health problem in Venezuela and affects large numbers of animals. The most important biovar in the country is Brucella abortus...
- Pneumococcal carriage among indigenous Warao children in Venezuela: serotypes, susceptibility patterns, and molecular epidemiology
Ismar A Rivera-Olivero
Laboratorio de Tuberculosis, Instituto de Biomedicina, Hospital Vargas, San Jose, Caracas, Venezuela
Clin Infect Dis 45:1427-34. 2007
..The Warao people, an indigenous population from Venezuela, live in the delta of the Orinoco River in geographically isolated communities with difficult access to medical ..
- Case-control study of gastric cancer screening in Venezuela
International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France
Br J Cancer 69:1102-5. 1994
A screening programme for early gastric cancer was introduced in the state of Tachira, Venezuela, in 1980. Screening was performed by photofluorography, using two mobile units...
- Species co-occurrence and feeding behavior in sand fly transmission of American cutaneous leishmaniasis in western Venezuela
Luis Fernando Chaves
Laboratorio de Biología Teórica, Instituto de Zoologia Tropical, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad Central de Venezuela, Apartado 47058, Caracas 1041 A, Venezuela
Acta Trop 92:219-24. 2004
..Finally, we suggest additional approaches to study the role of the sand fly community structure on the genesis and dynamics of transmission of American cutaneous leishmaniasis...
- Anemia and thrombocytopenia in children with Plasmodium vivax malaria
Alfonso J Rodriguez-Morales
Environmental Health Regional Malariology Office, Ministry of Health, Sucre, Venezuela
J Trop Pediatr 52:49-51. 2006
..Over a 3-year period, 78 children with P. vivax infection were admitted to our Hospital in Sucre, Venezuela. Clinical manifestations at admission were 93.59 per cent fever, 41.03 per cent chills and 14...
- Distribution of Lymnaeidae (Mollusca: Pulmonata), intermediate snail hosts of Fasciola hepatica in Venezuela
J P Pointier
UMR 5244 CNRS EPHE UPVD, Universite de Perpignan, Via Domitia, 52 Avenue Paul Alduy, Perpignan Cedex, France
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 104:790-6. 2009
..in order to clarify the exact number of lymnaeid species which may be intermediate hosts of Fasciola hepatica in Venezuela. Four species were discovered during this survey, including two local species: Lymnaea cubensis and Lymnaea ..
- Lymnaea cousini Jousseaume, 1887 (Gastropoda: Lymnaeidae): first record for Venezuela
J P Pointier
Laboratoire de Biologie Marine et Malacologie, EPHE, CBETM, Parasitologie Fonctionnelle et Evolutive UMR 5555 du CNRS, Universite, 52 Avenue Paul Alduy, 66860 Perpignan, France
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 99:567-9. 2004
Lymnaea cousini Jousseaume, 1887 was collected in Mucubaji, Merida State, Venezuela, from a permanent pond located at a very high altitude (3760 m)...
- Molecular epidemiology of HIV-1 in Venezuela: high prevalence of HIV-1 subtype B and identification of a B/F recombinant infection
Department of Immunology, Oswaldo Cruz Institute, FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 32:338-44. 2003
The authors assessed HIV-1 variability in two distinct areas of Venezuela (the capital Caracas and Margarita Island) through the analysis of blood specimens and clinical and epidemiologic data of 72 persons...
- ama1 genes of sympatric Plasmodium vivax and P. falciparum from Venezuela differ significantly in genetic diversity and recombination frequency
Rosalynn L Ord
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 3:e3366. 2008
..falciparum collected in the Venezuelan Amazon...
- Community-randomized trial of lambdacyhalothrin-treated hammock nets for malaria control in Yanomami communities in the Amazon region of Venezuela
Centro Amazónico de Investigación y Control de Enfermedades Tropicales Simón Bolivar, Puerto Ayacucho, Estado Amazonas, Venezuela
Trop Med Int Health 12:392-403. 2007
..community-randomized controlled trial in an area of moderate malaria transmission in the Amazon region, southern Venezuela, home of the Yanomami indigenous ethnic group...
- Male sex pheromones and the phylogeographic structure of the Lutzomyia longipalpis species complex (Diptera: Psychodidae) from Brazil and Venezuela
Phillip C Watts
School of Biological Sciences, Liverpool University, Liverpool, United Kingdom
Am J Trop Med Hyg 73:734-43. 2005
..investigated the phylogeographic pattern of variation at microsatellite loci from 11 populations from Brazil and Venezuela related to their male pheromone. Temporal genetic differentiation was mostly not significant at the same site...
- A case-control study of gastric cancer in Venezuela
Unit of Field and Intervention Studies, International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France
Int J Cancer 93:417-23. 2001
..for gastric cancer was carried out among 292 cases of gastric cancer and 485 controls in a high-risk area of Venezuela. Subjects were interviewed using a structured questionnaire, which elicited information on residential history, ..
- Acute respiratory distress syndrome in Plasmodium vivax malaria in traveler returning from Venezuela
Institute for Infectious and Tropical Diseases, University of Brescia, Brescia, Italy
J Travel Med 13:112-3. 2006
- Anaemia and malaria in Yanomami communities with differing access to healthcare
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 102:645-52. 2008
..The Yanomami are traditionally semi-nomadic people living in widely dispersed communities in Amazonian Venezuela and Brazil...
- 24-locus MIRU-VNTR genotyping is a useful tool to study the molecular epidemiology of tuberculosis among Warao Amerindians in Venezuela
Laboratorio de Tuberculosis, Instituto de Biomedicina, al lado de Hospital Vargas, San Jose, Caracas, Venezuela
Tuberculosis (Edinb) 88:490-4. 2008
..of the study year, from the Warao people, an indigenous population who live in a geographically isolated area in Venezuela and have a high TB incidence of 450/100,000...
- Replacement of hepatitis C virus genotype 1b by genotype 2 over a 10-year period in Venezuela
Flor H Pujol
Laboratorio de Virologia Molecular, CMBC, IVIC, Caracas, Venezuela
J Clin Gastroenterol 41:518-20. 2007
..Changes in hepatitis C virus (HCV) genotype distribution with time have been reported in several countries...
- Mitochondrial sequence variation in the Guahibo Amerindian population from Venezuela
Department of Experimental Biology, Section of Anthropological Sciences, University of Cagliari, 09042 Cagliari, Italy
Am J Phys Anthropol 127:361-9. 2005
New data were obtained on mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) from Guahibo from Venezuela, a group so far not studied using molecular data...
- Subgenotype diversity of hepatitis B virus American genotype F in Amerindians from Venezuela and the general population of Colombia
Laboratorio de Virologia Molecular, CMBC, IVIC, Caracas, Venezuela
J Med Virol 80:20-6. 2008
..analysis of the S region in 194 isolates showed that genotype F is highly predominant in Colombia and Venezuela. This might be related to the genetic background of the population...
- Detection of insecticide resistance in Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae) from Cuba and Venezuela
M M Rodriguez
Departamento de Control de Vectores, Instituto de Medicina Tropical Pedro Kouri Autopista Novia del Mediodía, Ciudad Habana, Cuba
J Med Entomol 38:623-8. 2001
Four strains of Aedes aegypti (L.), one from Cuba and three from Venezuela, were bioassayed for susceptibility to eight insecticides, including the organophosphates, temephos, malathion, fenthion, pirimiphos methyl, and chlorpyrifos, and ..
- Pregnancy outcomes associated with Plasmodium vivax malaria in northeastern Venezuela
Alfonso J Rodriguez-Morales
Instituto Experimental Jose Witremundo Torrealba, Universidad de Los Andes, Trujillo, Venezuela
Am J Trop Med Hyg 74:755-7. 2006
..vivax malaria in pregnant women complicated in some by miscarriage or preterm deliveries and in others with significant degrees of anemia and thrombocytopenia in a population where P. vivax is endemic in northeastern Venezuela.
- New advances in molecular epizootiology of canine hematic protozoa from Venezuela, Thailand and Spain
Departamento de Microbiologia y Parasitologia, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad de Alcala, 28871 Alcala de Henares, Spain
Vet Parasitol 144:261-9. 2007
..particularly Babesia canis vogeli) in canids from Venezuela, Thailand and Spain was studied by amplification and sequencing of the 18S rRNA gene. H...
- Density estimates of the domestic vector of Chagas disease, Rhodnius prolixus StÃ¥l (Hemiptera: Reduviidae), in rural houses in Venezuela
J E Rabinovich
, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Cuidad Universitaria, Argentina
Bull World Health Organ 73:347-57. 1995
..Rhodnius prolixus StÃ¥l bugs from the walls and roofs of 14 typical palm-leaf rural houses located in Cojedes, Venezuela, spending 40 minutes searching in each house...
- Imported cases of malaria admitted to two hospitals of Margarita Island, Venezuela, 1998-2005
Alfonso J Rodriguez-Morales
Instituto Experimental Jose Witremundo Torrealba, Universidad de Los Andes, Trujillo, Venezuela
Travel Med Infect Dis 7:44-8. 2009
..However, Plasmodium vivax the predominant Plasmodium spp. in Venezuela can also lead to severe malaria.
- Cytogenetic analysis of three species of the genus Haemulon (Teleostei: Haemulinae) from Margarita Island, Venezuela
Escuela de Ciencias Aplicadas del Mar, Universidad de Oriente, Boca del Rio, Isla de Margarita, Apartado Postal 147, Venezuela
Genetica 131:135-40. 2007
..Our data suggest that chromosome evolution of Haemulon has been preserved from major changes in the karyotypic macrostructure, whereas microstructural changes have occurred...
- High-dose (5000-microg) intravitreal ganciclovir combined with highly active antiretroviral therapy for cytomegalovirus retinitis in HIV-infected patients in Venezuela
J F Arevalo
Retina and Vitreous Service, Clinica Oftalmologica Centro Caracas, Caracas, Venezuela
Eur J Ophthalmol 15:610-8. 2005
..To describe the use of high doses of intravitreal ganciclovir combined with highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) for the treatment of cytomegalovirus (CMV) retinitis in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-infected patients...
- Methanobrevibacter phylotypes are the dominant methanogens in sheep from Venezuela
Andre Denis G Wright
CSIRO Livestock Industries, Centre for Environment and Life Sciences, WA 6913, Australia
Microb Ecol 56:390-4. 2008
Rumen methanogens in sheep from Venezuela were examined using 16S rRNA gene libraries and denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis (DGGE) profiles prepared from pooled and individual PCR products from the rumen contents from 10 animals...
- The re-emergence of American visceral leishmaniasis in an old focus in Venezuela. II. Vectors and parasites
M D Feliciangeli
Universidad de Carabobo, Facultad de Ciencias de la Salud, BIOMED, Maracay, Venezuela
Parasite 6:113-20. 1999
As part of an epidemiological study in an old focus of American Visceral Leishmaniasis (AVL) in Venezuela (Guayabita, Aragua State), a longitudinal entomological survey (January 1993-June 1994) was carried out...
- [Total and fecal coliforms, some enterobacteria staphylococcus sp. and moulds in salads for hot dogs sold in Maracay, Venezuela]
, Universidad Central de Venezuela-Maracay, Venezuela
Arch Latinoam Nutr 51:366-70. 2001
..The mould population was 4.5 x 10(4) ufc/g, Penicillium sp., Aspergillus, sp., Fusarium sp. were partially identified. The salads presented a pH of 5.92 and an acidity of 0.78 ml of NaOH...
- Spatial dispersion of adult mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae) in a sylvatic focus of Venezuelan equine encephalitis virus
, Universidad Central de Venezuela, Caracas
J Med Entomol 38:813-21. 2001
..the spatial localization of mosquitoes in sylvatic focus of Venezuelan equine encephalitis virus in western Venezuela to identify mosquito species potentially involved in the hypothesized transport of viruses out of enzootic foci...
- [Inventory of reptiles in 2 semi-arid zones from Northeastern of the Peninsula de Araya, Sucre State, Venezuela]
E Pablo Cornejo
Departamento de Biologia, Escuela de Ciencias, Nucleo de Sucre, Universidad de Oriente, Apartado 245, Cumana, Venezuela
Acta Cient Venez 52:265-71. 2001
..of reptiles in two localities from Northeastern Peninsula de Araya (Guayacán and El Morahal), Sucre State, Venezuela, was evaluated...
- Histoplasmine and paracoccidiodine epidemiological study in Upata, Bolívar state, Venezuela
Julman R Cermeño
Departamento de Parasitologia y Microbiologia, Universidad de Oriente, Bolivar, Venezuela
Trop Med Int Health 10:216-9. 2005
To determine the prevalence of histoplasmosis and paracoccidiomycosis in Upata, a city in Bolivar state, Venezuela.
- Cryptococcus neoformans, Cryptococcus gattii: serotypes in Venezuela
Sección de Micología Médica, Instituto de Medicina Tropical, Universidad Central de Venezuela, Apartado 47408, Los Chaguaramos, Caracas 1041, Venezuela
Mycopathologia 166:149-53. 2008
..Of the 132 isolates 59.8% were typed serotype A (C. neoformans), followed by 25.8% serotype D (C. neoformans), 5.3% serotype AD (C. neoformans), and 5.3% were typed serotype C (var. gattii). Additionally 3.8% were serotype B (C. gattii)...
- Genetic diversity of merozoite surface protein-1 gene of Plasmodium vivax isolates in mining villages of Venezuela (Bolivar State)
Marie Claude Leclerc
Laboratoire de Génétique et Evolution des Maladies Infectieuses, UMR CNRS IRD 2774, 911 Avenue Agropolis, BP 64501, 34394 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Acta Trop 95:26-32. 2005
..In fact, the variable repeats of poly-Q residues involved in the polymorphism of Belem type and recombinant isolates are responsible for a great part of variability observed in MSP-1 block 5...
- Postweaning multisystemic wasting syndrome in pigs in Venezuela
J P Cano
Vet Rec 156:620. 2005
- [Prevalence of intestinal parasites in children of Yukpa Ethnia in Toromo, Zulia State, Venezuela]
Iris Díaz A
Catedra de Parasitologia, Escuela de Bioanalisis, Universidad del Zulia, Venezuela
Rev Med Chil 134:72-8. 2006
..Yupkpa community in Perijá Sierra does not have drinking water or sewage elimination systems. Thus it becomes a propitious place for infection with intestinal parasites...
- The Buen Pastor cemetery in Trujillo, Venezuela: measuring dengue vector output from a public area
Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Liverpool, UK
Trop Med Int Health 10:597-603. 2005
..of such places as sources of dengue vectors, a study of Aedes aegypti productivity in a cemetery in northern Venezuela, using standard entomological indices for assessing dengue vector infestations, was carried out in the wet ..
- Presence in the media of the topic "donation and transplantation of organs and tissues" during the 2005 to 2007 period in Venezuela as a strategy to improve its perception in Venezuelan society
Organización Nacional de Trasplante de Venezuela Sistema de Procura de Organos y Tejidos, Caracas, Venezuela
Transplant Proc 41:3462-5. 2009
- [Association of HLA class I and leukemia in mestizo patients of the state of Zulia, Venezuela]
Facultad de Medicina, Universidad del Zulia, Maracaibo, Venezuela
Invest Clin 44:283-9. 2003
..706; p = 0.0021) and haplotype 3 loci: HLA-A*02-B*40-C*03 (RR = 8.11; p = 0.0102) and Myeloid Leukemia were found. No association was evident in Acute Lymphoid Leukemia. No negative association with Leukemias were observed...
- Seasonal and nocturnal domiciliary human landing/biting behaviour of Lutzomyia (Lutzomyia) evansi and Lutzomyia (Psychodopygus) panamensis (Diptera; Psychodidae) in a periurban area of a city on the Caribbean coast of eastern Venezuela (Barcelona; Anzoáte
Laboratorio de Vectores de Enfermedades Tropicales, Universidad de Oriente, Bolivar, Venezuela
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 93:361-4. 1999
..visceral leishmaniasis (AVL) have been reported in periurban areas of Barcelona city (Anzoátegui State, Venezuela)...
- [Toxocara spp. and other helminths in squares and parks of Ciudad Bolívar, Bolivar State (Venezuela)]
Grupo de Parasitosis Intestinal, Departamento de Parasitologia y Microbiologia, Escuela de Ciencias de la Salud, Universidad de Oriente, Ciudad Bolivar, Estado Bolivar, Venezuela
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 26:23-6. 2008
..Ciudad Bolívar (Bolivar State, Venezuela) is a city with a large dog population...
- Evaluating periodontal conditions in patients with von Willebrand's disease in Hospital Universitario de Maracaibo (University Hospital, Maracaibo)-Venezuela
Marisol Benito Urdaneta
La Universidad de Zulia, Venezuela
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 13:E303-6. 2008
To evaluate the periodontal conditions of patients with von Willebrand's Disease (vWD who went for dental examination in the "Area of attention to patients with systemic disease" of the University Hospital in Maracaibo, Venezuela.
- Prevalence of intestinal parasites in dogs under veterinary care in Maracaibo, Venezuela
Roger A Ramírez-Barrios
Cátedra de Enfermedades Parasitarias, Facultad de Ciencias Veterinarias, 3er Piso, Av Ziruma, Ciudad Universitaria, La Universidad del Zulia, Maracaibo, Estado Zulia, Venezuela
Vet Parasitol 121:11-20. 2004
..05) greater prevalence of parasites in mixed-breed dogs (40.3%) as compared with pure-breed dogs (30.8%). A significant difference (P < 0.05) was detected between the general prevalence of January and December compared to August...
- [Interleukin-1 genetic polymorphism: association with gastric cancer in the high-risk Central-Western population of Venezuela]
Laboratorio de Genética Molecular Dr Jorge Yunis Turbay, Decanato de Ciencias de Salud, Universidad Centroccidental Lisandro Alvarado, Barquisimeto, Venezuela
Rev Med Chil 137:63-70. 2009
..Genetic predisposition may play a role in the prevalence of gastric cancer (GC)...
- [Nutritional and metabolic factors as risk factors for cardiovascular diseases in an adult population in the city of Maracibo, Estado Zulia, Venezuela]
Departamento de Ciencias Sociales y de la Educación, Escuela de Nutrición y Dietética, Universidad del Zulia, Maracaibo, Venezuela
Invest Clin 42:23-42. 2001
- Notes about the impact of human seasonal migration on malaria spreading in rural Venezuela
Immunochemistry Section, Instituto de Medicina Tropical, Unviersidad Central de Venezuela
Roum Arch Microbiol Immunol 63:245-52. 2004
This paper considers the effect of social and cultural factors on malaria spreading in rural Venezuela. It argues that standard vertical malaria control programs are inclined to ignore local workplace and living conditions instead of ..
- Occupational exposure to airborne mercury during gold mining operations near El Callao, Venezuela
P L Drake
National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Spokane Research Laboratory, 315E Montgomery, Spokane, WA 99207, USA
Int Arch Occup Environ Health 74:206-12. 2001
..and Health (NIOSH) recently conducted a cross-sectional study during gold mining operations near El Callao, Venezuela. The purpose of the study was to assess mercury exposures and mercury-related microdamage to the kidneys...
- Intestinal parasitic infection and associated symptoms in children attending day care centres in Trujillo, Venezuela
Steven A Miller
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Trop Med Int Health 8:342-7. 2003
To examine the presence of intestinal protozoan and helminth infections and their association with clinical signs and symptoms in children in Trujillo, Venezuela.
- Molecular epidemiology and characterization of resistance mechanisms to various antimicrobial agents in Acinetobacter baumannii isolated in Mérida, Venezuela
Elsa Zuleima Salazar De Vegas
Department of Bioanalysis, Bacteriology Laboratory, University of Oriente, Sucre Campus, Venezuela
Med Sci Monit 13:BR89-94. 2007
..baumannii, currently resistant to most antibiotics. The purpose of this study was to characterize the epidemiological relationship and the mechanisms of resistance to several antimicrobial agents of a collection of A. baumannii strains...
- [Disease in scleractinian corals: a new problem in the reef at Cayo Sombrero, Morrocoy National Park, Venezuela?]
Laboratorio de Comunidades Marinas, Universidad Simon Bolivar, Sartenejas, Caracas, Venezuela
Rev Biol Trop 51:167-72. 2003
At the beginning of 1996 coral reefs in Morrocoy National Park, Venezuela, suffered an unprecedented mass mortality event. As a consequence, live coral cover dropped to 2-10%...
- Gene flow between natural and domestic populations of Lutzomyia longipalpis (Diptera: Psychodidae) in a restricted focus of American visceral leishmaniasis in Venezuela
L M Marquez
Centro de Ecología Instituto Venezolano de Investigaciones Científicas, Apartado 21827, Caracas 1020, Venezuela
J Med Entomol 38:12-6. 2001
..diagnostic loci Ak and Hk indicated that all specimens belonged to one of the two cryptic species identified in Venezuela. The average number of alleles per locus ranged from 2.0 to 2.9 and the average heterozygosity ranged from 7...
- Prematurity and maternal folate deficiency: anemia during pregnancy study group results in Valencia, Venezuela
Centro de Investigaciones Médicas y Biotecnológicas, Clinical Epidemiology Unit, Universidad de Carabobo, Venezuela
Arch Latinoam Nutr 54:45-9. 2004
..Data was obtained in a tertiary hospital in Valencia, Venezuela. A total of 543 women who delivered between May and December 1996 entered into the study...
- Interrupting Chagas disease transmission in Venezuela
Division de Epidemiologia, Dirección de Endemias Rurales, Malariología, Ministerio de Sanidad y Asistencia Social, Venezuela
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 43:37-43. 2001
The interruption of vectorial transmission of Chagas disease in Venezuela is attributed to the combined effects of ongoing entomoepidemiological surveillance, ongoing house spraying with residual insecticides and the concurrent building ..
- [Sand-fly fauna (Díptera, psychodidae, phlebotominae) in Bolívar State, Venezuela]
Laboratorio de Vectores de Enfermedades Tropicales Unidad de Estudios Básicos e Departamento de Parasitología y Microbiología, Universidad de Oriente, Venezuela
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 32:721-3. 1999
A descriptive study is presented of sand-fly fauna in Bolivar State, Venezuela. Identification was made of 2,364 sand-flies belonging to 18 species...
- [Pollination and pollinators in the vegetation of the coastal plain of Paraguaná, Falcón State, Venezuela]
Luis José Lemus-Jiménez
Universidad Nacional Experimental Francisco de Miranda, Coro, Estado Falcón, Venezuela
Acta Cient Venez 54:97-114. 2003
..51 plant species according to life form, vegetation type, and flowering phenology in the Paraguaná peninsula, Venezuela. A total of 43 species of floral visitors were recorded from which only 33 (76...
- Role of the low affinity IgE receptor (CD23) on the IgE response against Ascaris lumbricoides in Warao Amerindian children from Venezuela
Institute of Biomedicine, Faculty of Medicine, Central University of Venezuela, Caracas, Venezuela
Invest Clin 47:241-51. 2006
..the role of the low affinity IgE receptor (CD23) in Amerindian Warao children from the Orinoco Delta, Venezuela. We studied a group of unselected (n = 159) Warao school children with high prevalence and intensity of ..
- Increased levels of lipoprotein (a) are related to family risk factors of cardiovascular disease in children and adolescents from Maracaibo, Venezuela
Centro de Investigaciones Endocrino Metabólicas Dr Félix Gómez, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad del Zulia, Maracaibo, Estado Zulia, Venezuela
Am J Ther 15:403-8. 2008
..of this study were to determine Lipoprotein (a) [Lp(a)] concentrations in a sample of subjects from Maracaibo, Venezuela, and to determine the relationship of family risk factors for cardiovascular disease and their Lp(a) levels...
- [TP53 codon 72 polymorphism and gastric cancer risk: a case-control study in individuals from the central-western region of Venezuela]
Laboratorio de Genética Molecular Dr Jorge Yunis Turbay, Decanato de Ciencias de la Salud, Universidad Centroccidental Lisandro Alvarado, Barquisimeto, Venezuela
Invest Clin 50:153-61. 2009
..with the risk of developing gastric cancer in a high-risk population from the central-western region of Venezuela. DNA was extracted from paraffin-embedded gastric adenocarcinoma biopsies (n=65) and endoscopic biopsies from ..
- [Homocysteinemia and its relationship with the methylentetrahydrofolate reductase polymorphism in various ethnic groups from western Venezuela]
Instituto de Investigaciones Clinicas, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad del Zulia, Maracaibo, Venezuela
Invest Clin 46:347-55. 2005
..of hyperhomocysteinemia and C677T MTHFR polymorphism was studied in various ethnic groups from Western Venezuela (60 Wayuu Indians, 42 italian immigrants and 77 Venezuelan mestizos) in relation with the prevalence of ..
- [Larvae-pupae parasitoids of Hylesia metabus Cramer (Lepidoptera: Saturniidae) in northeastern Venezuela: a case of natural biological control]
José V Hernández
Lab de Comportamiento, Biología de Organismos, Univ Simón Bolívar, Caracas, Venezuela
Neotrop Entomol 38:243-50. 2009
..We reported natural parasitism levels for this moth during six life cycles in two localities in northeastern Venezuela. Pupae were collected in the field and maintained under laboratory conditions (27 masculineC, 65% RH, 12L:12D ..
- Lepidopterism due to exposure to the moth Hylesia metabus in northeastern Venezuela
Alfonso J Rodriguez-Morales
Direction of Environmental Sanitary Epidemiological Surveillance, General Direction of Environmental Health and Sanitary Control, Ministry of Health and Social Development, Maracay, Venezuela
Am J Trop Med Hyg 73:991-3. 2005
..associated with exposure to the moth Hylesia metabus between 1970 and 2002 in the Cajigal district, Sucre, Venezuela. Fifty cases of lepidopterism mostly affecting individuals under 18 years of age were identified during this ..
- Glucocerebrosidase mutations are also found in subjects with early-onset parkinsonism from Venezuela
Michael J Eblan
Mov Disord 21:282-3. 2006
- Multiplex PCR reveals a high rate of nasopharyngeal pneumococcal 7-valent conjugate vaccine serotypes co-colonizing indigenous Warao children in Venezuela
Ismar A Rivera-Olivero
Laboratorio de Tuberculosis, Instituto de Biomedicina, Caracas, Venezuela
J Med Microbiol 58:584-7. 2009
- HIV diversity in Venezuela: predominance of HIV type 1 subtype B and genomic characterization of non-B variants
Hector R Rangel
Laboratorio de Virologia Molecular, Centro de Microbiologia y Biologia Celular, Instituto Venezolano de Investigaciones Cientificas, Caracas, Venezuela
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 25:347-50. 2009
The aim of this study was the analysis of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) diversity in Venezuela, and the characterization of variants other than subtype B. A total of 425 HIV isolates, collected between 2003 and 2008, were analyzed...
- Possible association between gastric cancer and bracken fern in Venezuela: an epidemiologic study
M E Alonso-Amelot
Grupo de Quimica Ecologica, Departamento de Quimica, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Los Andes, Merida, Venezuela
Int J Cancer 91:252-9. 2001
..factors that might explain the high rates of stomach cancer in people living in the highlands of western Venezuela, an epidemiologic study was conducted in 2 regions of contrasting topography...
- Low prevalence of hepatitis C virus infection in Amerindians from Western Venezuela
Escuela de BioanálisisEstado Zulia, Venezuela
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 102:107-10. 2007
Previous studies have not found hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection in Amerindians from Western Venezuela. A survey of 254 Bari and Yukpa natives aged 10-60 years (mean +/- SD age = 35 +/- 5...
- Activity of Lutzomyia pseudolongipalpis and L. longipalpis s.l. (Diptera: Psychodidae) in Venezuela
M D Feliciangeli
Universidad de Carabobo, Centro Nacional de Referencia de Flebotomos, BIOMED, Maracay, Venezuela
Parasite 11:273-8. 2004
..longipalpis s.l. from different American visceral leishmaniasis foci in Venezuela was studied using collection bottle rotator traps. The activity of L...
- Medical genetics in Zulia, a State of Venezuela
Unit of Medical Genetics, Faculty of Medicine, Zulia University, Maracaibo, Venezuela
Community Genet 7:153-6. 2004
Zulia is a state located in the northwest of Venezuela. Congenital malformations, deformities and chromosomal anomalies are the second cause of infant and neonatal mortality...
- Comparative studies of populations of Lutzomyia umbratilis (Diptera: Psychodidae) in Brazil and Venezuela
Alfredo C R Azevedo
Departamento de Entomologia, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
J Med Entomol 39:587-600. 2002
..morphological characters in different populations of Lutzomyia (Nyssomyia) umbratilis Ward & Fraiha from Venezuela (Gran Sabana, Bolívar/BO) and Brazil (Serra do Navio, Amapá/AP Manaus, Amazonas/AM, Monte Dourado, Pará/ PA, ..
- Vector bionomics and malaria transmission in the Upper Orinoco River, Southern Venezuela
Ministerio de Salud, Maracay, Venezuela
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 102:303-11. 2007
..The present study was the first longitudinal entomological and epidemiological study conducted in this area and set up the basic ground for subsequent intervention with insecticide-treated nets...
- Risk factors for Trypanosoma cruzi human infection in Barinas State, Venezuela
M Dora Feliciangeli
Facultad de Ciencias de la Salud, Centro Nacional de Referencia de Flebótomos y Otros Vectores, Universidad de Carabobo, Maracay, Venezuela
Am J Trop Med Hyg 76:915-21. 2007
..to quantify the transmission of Trypanosoma cruzi in children less than 15 years of age in Barinas State, Venezuela and investigate risk factors for infection. Among 3,296 children, 4 (0.12%) were seropositive...
- Lutzomyia pseudolongipalpis: the first new species within the longipalpis (Diptera: Psychodidae: Phlebotominae) complex from La Rinconada, Curarigua, Lara State, Venezuela
J C Arrivillaga
Centro Nacional de Referencia de Flebotomos CNRFV, Sección Entomología Medica, BIOMED, Universidad de Carabobo, Facultad de Ciencias de la Salud, Nucleo Aragua, Maracay, Venezuela
J Med Entomol 38:783-90. 2001
..the longipalpis complex, is described based on females and males from La Rinconada, Curarigua, Lara State, Venezuela. Similar to Lutzomyia longipalpis sensu lato, females of the new species show spermathecae with 8-10 annulations ..
- Seroepidemiology of toxoplasmosis in amerindians from western Venezuela
Instituto de Investigaciones Clinicas, Universidad del Zulia, Maracaibo, Venezuela
Am J Trop Med Hyg 65:131-5. 2001
..6 +/- 15.8 years) in 3 mountain and 1 lowland communities from Venezuela were studied to determine the seroprevalence of Toxoplasma gondii, the environmental risk factors for the ..
- [Obesity in schoolchildren from Merida, Venezuela: association with cardiovascular risk factors]
Unidad de Endocrinologia, Instituto Autónomo Hospital Universitario de Los Andes, and Departamento de Fisiopatología, Universidad de Los Andes, Merida, Venezuela
Endocrinol Nutr 56:218-26. 2009
..To investigate the prevalence of obesity and associated cardiovascular risk factors in schoolchildren in our city, given the influence of these factors on the development of atherosclerosis...
- Onchocerciasis in the Amazonian focus of southern Venezuela: altitude and blackfly species composition as predictors of endemicity to select communities for ivermectin control programmes
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine LSHTM, UK
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 92:613-20. 1998
..However, below 200 m additional parasitological indicators may also be necessary. As a direct result of this study, regular mass-ivermectin delivery to meso- and hyperendemic communities is now in progress...
- Characterization of enzootic foci of Venezuelan equine encephalitis virus in western Venezuela
Instituto de Zoologia Tropical, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad Central de Venezuela, Caracas, Venezuela
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 1:219-30. 2001
..the sylvatic subtype ID Venezuelan equine encephalitis (VEE) viruses in the lowland tropical forests of western Venezuela was investigated using remote sensing and geographic information system technologies...