- Periurban Trypanosoma cruzi-infected Triatoma infestans, Arequipa, Peru
Michael Zachary Levy
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30341 3724, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 12:1345-52. 2006
In Arequipa, Peru, vectorborne transmission of Chagas disease by Triatoma infestans has become an urban problem...
- High HIV and ulcerative sexually transmitted infection incidence estimates among men who have sex with men in Peru: awaiting for an effective preventive intervention
Investigaciones Medicas en Salud, Lima, Peru
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 51:S47-51. 2009
..In the Andean Region, HIV and sexually transmitted infections (STI) are most prevalent among men who have sex with men (MSM), but incidence estimates and associated factors have never been prospectively assessed...
- Heterotrophic Archaea dominate sedimentary subsurface ecosystems off Peru
Jennifer F Biddle
Pennsylvania State Astrobiology Research Center, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:3846-51. 2006
..Our study provides clues about the metabolic functionality of two cosmopolitan groups of uncultured Archaea...
- Community-based therapy for multidrug-resistant tuberculosis in Lima, Peru
Program in Infectious Disease and Social Change, Department of Social Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
N Engl J Med 348:119-28. 2003
..We evaluated the results of community-based therapy for multidrug-resistant tuberculosis in a poor section of Lima, Peru.
- Sexual role and transmission of HIV Type 1 among men who have sex with men, in Peru
Steven M Goodreau
Center for AIDS and STD and Center for Statistics and the Social Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Infect Dis 191:S147-58. 2005
..use of a deterministic model incorporating bidirectional transmission and data from a cohort study of MSM in Lima, Peru, to demonstrate the potential effects of role segregation on the trajectory of the HIV-1 epidemic...
- Prokaryotic community composition and biogeochemical processes in deep subseafloor sediments from the Peru Margin
Cardiff School of Biosciences, Cardiff University, Cardiff CF10 3YE, UK
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 58:65-85. 2006
..compositions of Bacteria and Archaea were investigated in deep, sub-seafloor sediments from the highly productive Peru Margin (ODP Leg 201, sites 1228 and 1229, c...
- Influenza-like illness sentinel surveillance in Peru
V Alberto Laguna-Torres
US Naval Medical Research Center Detachment, Lima, Peru
PLoS ONE 4:e6118. 2009
- Malaria reemergence in the Peruvian Amazon region
J Aramburú Guarda
Loreto Department of Public Health, Iquitos, Peru
Emerg Infect Dis 5:209-15. 1999
Epidemic malaria has rapidly emerged in Loreto Department, in the Peruvian Amazon region. Peru reports the second highest number of malaria cases in South America (after Brazil), most from Loreto...
- Validation and abbreviation of an HIV stigma scale in an adult spanish-speaking population in urban Peru
Molly F Franke
Partners In Health, Boston, MA, 02199, USA
AIDS Behav 14:189-99. 2010
..study was to validate the Spanish version of the Berger HIV Stigma Scale in an urban Spanish-speaking population in Peru and create a valid and reliable abridged version of the scale...
- Identification of 5 types of Cryptosporidium parasites in children in Lima, Peru
Division of Parasitic Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30341 3717, USA
J Infect Dis 183:492-7. 2001
..Contrary to common belief, novel Cryptosporidium species and C. parvum genotypes can infect HIV-negative children...
- Randomized, double-blind clinical trial of topical imiquimod 5% with parenteral meglumine antimoniate in the treatment of cutaneous leishmaniasis in Peru
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Clin Infect Dis 40:1395-403. 2005
- Frequency of human toxocariasis in a rural population from Cajamarca, Peru determined by DOT-ELISA test
William H Roldán
Seccion de Parasitologia, Instituto de Medicina Tropical Daniel A Carrión, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Callao, Peru
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 51:67-71. 2009
The aim of this study was to estimate the frequency of human toxocariasis in Cauday district, Cajamarca, Peru, using a dot-ELISA test. From June to October 2005, a total of 256 adult subjects were studied...
- Detection of CTX-M-type beta-lactamase genes in fecal Escherichia coli isolates from healthy children in Bolivia and Peru
Dipartimento di Biologia Molecolare, Sezione di Microbiologia, Universita di Siena, Siena, Italy
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:4556-61. 2004
..children from four different urban areas of Latin America, two in Bolivia (Camiri and Villa Montes) and two in Peru (Yurimaguas and Moyobamba). Ceftriaxone-resistant E...
- First-line therapy for human cutaneous leishmaniasis in Peru using the TLR7 agonist imiquimod in combination with pentavalent antimony
Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 3:e491. 2009
..We evaluated if pentavalent antimony (an anti-parasitic drug) combined with imiquimod (an immunomodulator) was more effective than pentavalent antimony alone in patients who had not previously been treated...
- Parasite risk factors for stunting in grade 5 students in a community of extreme poverty in Peru
Asociación Civil Selva Amazónica, Iquitos, Peru
Int J Parasitol 36:741-7. 2006
..A survey was conducted in 1074 grade 5 children (mean age 10 years) from 17 schools in Belen, Peru, a community of extreme poverty. Prevalence of underweight and stunting were 10.5 and 34...
- Access, use and perceptions regarding Internet, cell phones and PDAs as a means for health promotion for people living with HIV in Peru
Walter H Curioso
School of Medicine, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 7:24. 2007
..Little is known about the perceptions of HIV-positive people towards these technologies in Peru. The purpose of this paper is to report on perceptions towards use of information and communication technologies as ..
- Tuberculosis mortality, drug resistance, and infectiousness in patients with and without HIV infection in Peru
Asociacion Benefica PRISMA, Lima, Peru
Am J Trop Med Hyg 75:1027-33. 2006
..Furthermore, early and rapid tuberculosis drug-susceptibility testing and infection control are required so that MDRTB can be appropriately treated early enough to reduce mortality and transmission...
- Fecal contamination of drinking water within peri-urban households, Lima, Peru
William E Oswald
Asociación Benéfica Proyectos en Informática, Salud, Medicina, y Agricultura A B PRISMA, Lima, Peru
Am J Trop Med Hyg 77:699-704. 2007
We assessed fecal contamination of drinking water in households in 2 peri-urban communities of Lima, Peru. We measured Escherichia coli counts in municipal source water and, within households, water from principal storage containers, ..
- Handheld computers for self-administered sensitive data collection: a comparative study in Peru
School of Public Health and Administration, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 8:11. 2008
..The goal of this study is to evaluate the quality of sexual behavior data collected with handheld computers in comparison with paper-based questionnaires...
- Syndromic management and STI control in urban Peru
Jesse L Clark
Division of Infectious Diseases and Program in Global Health, David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 4:e7201. 2009
..We sought to determine the potential utility of syndromic management as a public health strategy to control STI transmission in high-risk populations in urban Peru.
- Low prevalence and increased household clustering of Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection in high altitude villages in Peru
New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 68:721-7. 2003
..two high altitude villages (3,340 meters [10,960 feet] and 3,500 meters [11,480 feet]) and three sea-level sites in Peru. High altitude villages had lower TST-positive prevalence rates (5.7% and 6...
- A retrospective analysis of the change in anti-malarial treatment policy: Peru
Holly Ann Williams
Malaria Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention CDC, Mail Stop F 60, 4770 Buford Hwy NE, Atlanta, Georgia 30341, USA
Malar J 8:85. 2009
..Selecting a replacement drug is only one issue in this process. There is a paucity of literature describing successful malaria treatment policy changes to help guide control programs through this process...
- Parasite and maternal risk factors for malnutrition in preschool-age children in Belen, Peru using the new WHO Child Growth Standards
Asociación Civil Selva Amazónica, Urbanización Jardin 27, Iquitos, Peru
Br J Nutr 98:1259-66. 2007
..To target interventions for preschool-age children in a community of extreme poverty in Peru, we conducted a household survey between October 2005 and January 2006 to determine the prevalence of malnutrition ..
- Intimate partner violence and risk for depression among postpartum women in Lima, Peru
Department of Epidemiology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195 7236, USA
Violence Vict 24:380-98. 2009
A cross-sectional study of 2,317 women who delivered at Instituto Nacional Materno Perinatal, Lima, Peru, was carried out to evaluate risk of depression in relation to maternal experience with intimate partner violence (IPV) before and ..
- Rapid dissemination and diversity of CTX-M extended-spectrum beta-lactamase genes in commensal Escherichia coli isolates from healthy children from low-resource settings in Latin America
Dipartimento di Biologia Molecolare, Sezione di Microbiologia, Universita di Siena, Policlinico Santa Maria alle Scotte, Siena, Italy
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:2720-5. 2007
A survey carried out in 2005 among members of a healthy population of children living in Bolivia and Peru revealed that fecal carriage of Escherichia coli strains resistant to expanded-spectrum cephalosporins was remarkably increased ..
- The sequelae of political violence: assessing trauma, suffering and dislocation in the Peruvian highlands
McGill University, 6875 LaSalle Boulevard, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Soc Sci Med 67:205-17. 2008
- Risk factors for antibiotic-resistant Escherichia coli carriage in young children in Peru: community-based cross-sectional prevalence study
Henry D Kalter
Department of International Health, Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, 615 North Wolfe Street, Rm E 8132, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 82:879-88. 2010
..surveys and Escherichia coli cultures of children, mothers' hands, household animals, and market chickens in Peru. Among 522 children with a positive stool culture, by log-binomial regression, using "any antibiotic" and 1-14 (..
- Avian influenza in wild birds, central coast of Peru
Bruno M Ghersi
Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Lima, Peru
Emerg Infect Dis 15:935-8. 2009
..wild birds in South America, we collected and tested environmental fecal samples from birds along the coast of Peru, June 2006-December 2007...
- Clinical and parasite species risk factors for pentavalent antimonial treatment failure in cutaneous leishmaniasis in Peru
Instituto de Medicina Tropical Alexander von Humboldt, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru
Clin Infect Dis 46:223-31. 2008
..Knowledge of factors influencing treatment outcome is essential for successful management...
- Pre-Columbian population dynamics in coastal southern Peru: A diachronic investigation of mtDNA patterns in the Palpa region by ancient DNA analysis
Johann Friedrich Blumenbach Department of Zoology and Anthropology, Historical Anthropology and Human Ecology, University of Goettingen, Germany
Am J Phys Anthropol 141:208-21. 2010
..successive archaeological sites in the Palpa region, the Paracas Peninsula, and the Andean highlands in southern Peru. The sampling strategy allowed a diachronic analysis in a time frame from approximately 800 BC to 800 AD...
- High fascioliasis infection in children linked to a man-made irrigation zone in Peru
J Guillermo Esteban
Departamento de Parasitologia, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad de Valencia, Burjassot, Valencia
Trop Med Int Health 7:339-48. 2002
- Metagenomic signatures of the Peru Margin subseafloor biosphere show a genetically distinct environment
Jennifer F Biddle
Astrobiology Research Center, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:10583-8. 2008
..the subject of debate in terms of the composition of its microbial inhabitants, particularly on sediments from the Peru Margin...
- Environmental factors as determinants of malaria risk. A descriptive study on the northern coast of Peru
J P Guthmann
Infectious and Tropical Disease Department, Infectious Disease Epidemiology Unit, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, England
Trop Med Int Health 7:518-25. 2002
We conducted a series of studies on the northern Pacific coast of Peru to determine environmental risk factors for malaria. We report in this paper the results of both a descriptive study of incidence and a prevalence survey of malaria...
- Decline in sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine-resistant alleles after change in drug policy in the Amazon region of Peru
Division of Parasitic Diseases, National Center for Zoonotic, Vector Borne and Enteric Diseases, Coordinating Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:739-41. 2008
..Microsatellite analysis showed that the dhfr and dhps alleles are of common origin...
- HIV-1, sexually transmitted infections, and sexual behavior trends among men who have sex with men in Lima, Peru
Asociation Civil Impacta Salud y Educacion, Av Grimaldo Del Solar 805, Lima 18, Peru
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 44:578-85. 2007
To assess and estimate trends in HIV, sexually transmitted infections (STIs), and sexual behavior among men who have sex with men (MSM) in Lima, Peru.
- Age-related susceptibility to infection with diarrheagenic Escherichia coli among infants from Periurban areas in Lima, Peru
Theresa J Ochoa
Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru
Clin Infect Dis 49:1694-702. 2009
..Diarrheagenic Escherichia coli strains are being recognized as important pediatric enteropathogens worldwide. However, it is unclear whether there are differences in age-related susceptibility to specific strains, especially among infants...
- Chagas disease, migration and community settlement patterns in Arequipa, Peru
Angela M Bayer
Division of Infectious Diseases, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, USA
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 3:e567. 2009
..However, in marginal communities near the city of Arequipa, Peru, urban transmission cycles have become established...
- The effect on cardiovascular risk factors of migration from rural to urban areas in Peru: PERU MIGRANT Study
J Jaime Miranda
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
BMC Cardiovasc Disord 9:23. 2009
Mass-migration observed in Peru from the 1970s occurred because of the need to escape from politically motivated violence and work related reasons...
- Cryptosporidium species and subtypes and clinical manifestations in children, Peru
Vitaliano A Cama
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30341, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 14:1567-74. 2008
..we studied a 4-year longitudinal birth cohort of 533 children in Peru. A total of 156 infection episodes were found in 109 children. Data from first infections showed that C...
- Internet as a tool to access high-risk men who have sex with men from a resource-constrained setting: a study from Peru
M M Blas
Unit of STD and HIV, School of Public Health, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Av Honorio Delgado 430 Urb Ingenieria, Lima 31 Peru Apartado 4314
Sex Transm Infect 83:567-70. 2007
In Peru, current interventions in high-risk men who have sex with men (MSM) reach a limited number of this population because they rely solely on peer education...
- Bodyweight gain to predict treatment outcome in patients with pulmonary tuberculosis in Peru
Instituto de Medicina Tropical Alexander von Humboldt, Lima, Peru
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 12:1153-9. 2008
Tuberculosis control programmes of two health care centres in the central rainforest of Peru.
- Characteristics of the spatial pattern of the dengue vector, Aedes aegypti, in Iquitos, Peru
Department of Geography, San Diego State University, San Diego, California 92182 4493, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 69:494-505. 2003
..of Aedes aegypti and the containers in which they develop in two neighborhoods of the Amazonian city of Iquitos, Peru. Four variables were examined: adult Ae...
- Temporal and geographic patterns of Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae) production in Iquitos, Peru
Amy C Morrison
Department of Entomology, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
J Med Entomol 41:1123-42. 2004
..6,000 houses, 10 separate times, between January 1999 and August 2002 in the Amazonian city of Iquitos, Peru. We quantified the number of containers positive for Ae...
- Adult size and distribution of Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae) associated with larval habitats in Iquitos, Peru
Jennifer R Schneider
Department of Epidemiology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
J Med Entomol 41:634-42. 2004
..breeding container characteristics in relation to size and abundance of Aedes aegypti larvae and pupae in Iquitos, Peru, and compared these with the size of resulting adult females...
- Isolation of viruses from mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae) collected in the Amazon Basin region of Peru
M J Turell
Virology Division, U S Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, 1425 Porter St, Fort Detrick, MD 21702 5011, USA
J Med Entomol 42:891-8. 2005
As part of a comprehensive study on the ecology of arthropod-borne viruses in the Amazon Basin region of Peru, we assayed 539,694 mosquitoes captured in Loreto Department, Peru, for arboviruses...
- Chagas disease transmission in periurban communities of Arequipa, Peru
Natalie M Bowman
Asociación Benéfica Proyectos en Informática, Salud, Medicina y Agricultura, Lima, Peru
Clin Infect Dis 46:1822-8. 2008
Chagas disease, caused by Trypanosoma cruzi infection, is an urban problem in Arequipa, Peru, and the epidemiology of Chagas disease is likely to be quite different in this area, compared with in rural zones.
- Potential use of pyriproxyfen for control of Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae) in Iquitos, Perú
Laboratorio Referencial, Dirección de Salud, Iquitos, Peru
J Med Entomol 42:620-30. 2005
..We review the literature on the environmental and human health effects of this compound and discuss its potential for use as a mosquito control agent in the field...
- Chloroquine-resistant Plasmodium vivax malaria in Peru
Trenton K Ruebush
Office of the Director, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 69:548-52. 2003
..To investigate the possibility of chloroquine-resistant P. vivax in Peru, we conducted 28-day in vivo drug efficacy trials at three sites in the Amazon region and one site on the northern ..
- Land-use allocation protects the Peruvian Amazon
Paulo J C Oliveira
Department of Global Ecology, Carnegie Institution of Washington, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Science 317:1233-6. 2007
..Although the region shows recent increases in disturbance and deforestation rates and leakage into forests surrounding concession areas, land-use policy and remoteness are serving to protect the Peruvian Amazon...
- Molecular characterisation of Trypanosoma rangeli strains isolated from Rhodnius ecuadoriensis in Peru, R. colombiensis in Colombia and R. pallescens in Panama, supports a co-evolutionary association between parasites and vectors
D A Urrea
Laboratorio de Investigaciones en Parasitología Tropical, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad del Tolima, A A No 546, Ibague, Colombia
Infect Genet Evol 5:123-9. 2005
..characterisation of strains of Trypanosoma rangeli isolated from naturally infected Rhodnius ecuadoriensis in Peru, from Rhodnius colombiensis, Rhodnius pallescens and Rhodnius prolixus in Colombia, and from Rhodnius pallescens in ..
- HIV, syphilis and heterosexual bridging among Peruvian men who have sex with men
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
AIDS 16:1271-7. 2002
- Personal digital assistants to collect tuberculosis bacteriology data in Peru reduce delays, errors, and workload, and are acceptable to users: cluster randomized controlled trial
Joaquin A Blaya
Harvard MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology, Cambridge, MA, USA
Int J Infect Dis 13:410-8. 2009
..The PDA- and paper-based systems were evaluated based on processing times, frequency of errors, and number of work-hours expended by data collectors...
- Optimization of microculture and evaluation of miniculture for the isolation of Leishmania parasites from cutaneous lesions in Peru
Andrea K Boggild
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto, and Tropical Diseases Unit, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Trop Med Hyg 79:847-52. 2008
..Consecutive patients who came to the Leishmaniasis Clinic, Hospital Nacional Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru, were enrolled...
- Reasons for choosing dentistry as a career: a study involving male and female first-year students in Peru
Departamento de Odontologia Social, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru
Eur J Dent Educ 10:236-41. 2006
..to 75 first-year students registered at the Faculty of Dentistry of the Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru. The questionnaire comprised 16 items grouped into four categories (economic, professional, vocational and personal ..
- The epidemiology of intestinal microsporidiosis in patients with HIV/AIDS in Lima, Peru
Division of Parasitic Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30341, USA
J Infect Dis 191:1658-64. 2005
..The 2 most common genotypes, Peru-1 and Peru-2, were not associated with significant increases in chronic diarrhea; other genotypes were associated ..
- Randomized, double-blind, phase III, pivotal field trial of the comparative immunogenicity, safety, and tolerability of two yellow fever 17D vaccines (Arilvax and YF-VAX) in healthy infants and children in Peru
Vivian E Belmusto-Worn
U S Naval Medical Research Center Detachment, Lima, Peru
Am J Trop Med Hyg 72:189-97. 2005
..double-blind, phase III yellow fever (YF) vaccine trial among 1,107 healthy children in Sullana in northern Peru. The safety and efficacy (by measurement of geometric mean neutralizing antibody titer responses) were determined ..
- Natural ventilation for the prevention of airborne contagion
A Roderick Escombe
Department of Infectious Diseases and Immunity, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom
PLoS Med 4:e68. 2007
..Natural ventilation may offer a low-cost alternative. Our objective was to investigate the rates, determinants, and effects of natural ventilation in health care settings...
- Molecular identification of Echinococcus isolates from Peru
Pedro L Moro
Division of Bacterial Diseases, National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Parasitol Int 58:184-6. 2009
Genetic variations in tapeworms causing cystic echinococcosis in Peru were investigated...
- Occupational transmission of Mycobacterium tuberculosis to health care workers in a university hospital in Lima, Peru
Epidemic Intelligence Service, Epidemiology Program Office, and Hospital Infections Program, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Clin Infect Dis 33:589-96. 2001
..active pulmonary tuberculosis (TB) was detected in 44 health care workers (HCWs) at a university hospital in Lima, Peru. To further assess the magnitude of the outbreak and determine risk factors for occupational Mycobacterium ..
- Human metapneumovirus, Peru
Gregory C Gray
University of Iowa College of Public Health, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 12:347-50. 2006
..Twelve specimens (2.3%) were positive by multiple assays. Six specimens yielded HMPV isolates. Four of the 6 isolates were of the uncommon B1 genotype...
- The influence of climate on the epidemiology of bartonellosis in Ancash, Peru
Department of Internal Medicine, John H Stroger, Jr Hospital of Cook County, 1900 W Polk, 15th Floor, Chicago, IL 60612 9985, USA
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 98:116-24. 2004
..The study site was Ancash and its province Carhuaz, Peru. Time-series cross-correlation analysis was used to assess the association between bartonellosis and climate ..
- Immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome in human immunodeficiency virus-infected children in Peru
Marie E Wang
Department of Pediatrics, School of Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 28:900-3. 2009
..Immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome (IRIS) after initiating highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) has not been widely studied in children, especially in resource-poor settings...
- Evaluating program effects on institutional delivery in Peru
Michael J McQuestion
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Population and Family Health Sciences, 615 N Wolfe Street, E 4142, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Health Policy 77:221-32. 2006
..The national maternal and child health insurance, or SMI Program, provided delivery care coverage to Peru's poorest households beginning in 1998...
- [Influence of socio-cultural context on risk perception and negotiation of protection among poor homosexual males on the Peruvian coast]
Facultad de Salud Pública y Administración, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru
Cad Saude Publica 22:2097-104. 2006
..among homosexual men that have adopted a female gender identity, living in low-income barrios of Lima and Trujillo, Peru. Risk perception is analyzed on the socio-cultural plane, allowing one to explain the limited negotiating capacity ..
- Trichomonas vaginalis infection and associated risk factors in a socially-marginalized female population in coastal Peru
Segundo R Leon
Laboratorio de Salud Sexual, Laboratorios de Investigación y Desarrollo, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima 31, Peru
Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol 2009:752437. 2009
- Human toxocariasis: a seroepidemiological survey in the Amazonian city of Yurimaguas, Peru
William H Roldán
Departamento de Microbiologia Medica, Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Peru
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 52:37-42. 2010
..the seroprevalence of the infection by Toxocara in the general population of the Amazonian city of Yurimaguas, Peru. From March to August 2008, a total of 300 subjects were sampled and tested by means of a Toxocara ELISA-IgG test...
- Increasing resistance in commensal Escherichia coli, Bolivia and Peru
Emerg Infect Dis 14:338-40. 2008
- Clinical characteristics of patients in Peru with human T cell lymphotropic virus type 1-associated tropical spastic paraparesis
Institute of Tropical Medicine Alexander von Humboldt, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru
Clin Infect Dis 39:939-44. 2004
Human T cell lymphotropic virus type 1 (HTLV-1) is associated with tropical spastic paraparesis (TSP). Peru is an area of endemicity for HTLV-1.
- Psychosocial impact of poverty on antiretroviral nonadherence among HIV-TB coinfected patients in Lima, Peru
Brigham and Women s Hospital, Division of Social Medicine and Health Inequalities, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Int Assoc Physicians AIDS Care (Chic) 7:74-81. 2008
..Tuberculosis and HIV coinfection poses unique clinical and psychosocial complexities that can impact nonadherence to highly active antiretroviral treatment (HAART)...
- Economic intensification and degenerative joint disease: life and labor on the postcontact north coast of Peru
Haagen D Klaus
Behavioral Science Department, Utah Valley University, Orem, Utah 84058, USA
Am J Phys Anthropol 139:204-21. 2009
This study tests the hypothesis that the colonial economy of the Lambayeque region of northern coastal Peru was associated with a mechanically strenuous lifestyle among the indigenous Mochica population...
- Planorbidae, lymnaeidae and physidae of Peru (Mollusca: Basommatophora)
W Lobato Paraense
Departamento de Malacologia, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz FIOCRUZ, 21045 900 Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brasil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 98:767-71. 2003
In the course of several trips to Peru I had the opportunity of collecting topotypic specimens of Biomphalaria andecola (Orbigny, 1835), B. helophila (Orbigny, 1835), B...
- The prevalence of posttraumatic stress disorder among adult earthquake survivors in Peru
Javier B Cairo
Division of Infectious Disease, Infection Control and Employee Health, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, USA
Disaster Med Public Health Prep 4:39-46. 2010
..To estimate the prevalence of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and to assess the relationships between PTSD and demographic and disaster-related factors...
- Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for superoxide dismutase-excreted antigen in diagnosis of sylvatic and Andean cutaneous leishmaniasis of Peru
Instituto de Biotecnologia, Departamento de Parasitologia, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Granada, Granada, Spain
Am J Trop Med Hyg 80:55-60. 2009
..The SODe ELISA may be useful in endemic areas for discriminative assays between patients with different forms of leishmaniases and those with other clinical conditions...
- Utility of the Determine Syphilis TP rapid test in commercial sex venues in Peru
P E Campos
Unidad de Epidemiologia, Enfermedades de Transmisión Sexual y SIDA, Facultad de Salud Pública y Administración, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru
Sex Transm Infect 82:v22-5. 2006
- Orthodontic treatment need in Peruvian young adults evaluated through dental aesthetic index
Department of Social Dentistry, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru
Angle Orthod 76:417-21. 2006
..This cross-sectional study was conducted at the University Dental Clinic of a private university in Lima, Peru. A total of 267 freshmen (from 16 to 25 years old) were randomly selected from a pool of 780 students...
- Genetic diversity and structure of managed and semi-natural populations of cocoa (Theobroma cacao) in the Huallaga and Ucayali Valleys of Peru
USDA ARS PSI SPCL, 10300 Baltimore Avenue, Bldg 050, Rm 100, BARC W, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
Ann Bot 98:647-55. 2006
..A small fraction of the diversity has been collected and maintained as an ex-situ germplasm repository in Peru. However, incorrect labelling of accessions and lack of information on genetic diversity have hindered efficient ..
- The national response to the HIV/AIDS epidemic in Peru: accomplishments and gaps--a review
Carlos F Caceres
Unit of Health, Sexuality and Human Development, School of Public Health, Cayetano Heredia University, Lima, Peru
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 51:S60-6. 2009
In Peru, after the first case of AIDS was reported in 1983, nearly 20,000 AIDS cases have been notified to date and between 20,000 and 79,000 persons are estimated to be living with HIV...
- A molecular biologic study of Enterocytozoon bieneusi in HIV-infected patients in Lima, Peru
Irshad M Sulaiman
Division of Parasitic Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
J Eukaryot Microbiol 50:591-6. 2003
..distribution of Enterocytozoon bieneusi in HIV-infected patients who visited two government hospitals in Lima, Peru from January 2000 through March 2003. Microsporidia were detected by microscopy in 105 (3.9%) of 2,672 patients...
- The partial sequencing of the genomic RNA of a UK isolate of Pepino mosaic virus and the comparison of the coat protein sequence with other isolates from Europe and Peru
R A Mumford
Central Science Laboratory, Sand Hutton, York, UK
Arch Virol 146:2455-60. 2001
..This analysis shows that all the tomato isolates share over 99% identity, but only between 96-97% identity with the Peruvian pepino isolate...
- Scale-up of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis laboratory services, Peru
Sonya S Shin
Division of Social Medicine and Health Inequalities, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02120, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 14:701-8. 2008
..Hurdles included logistics, coordinating with policy, competing interests, changing personnel, communications, and evaluation. Operational research guided laboratory scale-up and identified barriers to effective capacity building...
- Assessing and maximizing the acceptability of global positioning system device use for studying the role of human movement in dengue virus transmission in Iquitos, Peru
Valerie A Paz-Soldan
International Health and Development Department, Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, 1440 Canal Street, Suite 2200, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 82:723-30. 2010
..Fifteen focus group discussions stratified by sex, age, and motherhood status were conducted in 2008 in Iquitos, Peru. All participants said they would accept using a GPS unit for study purposes for 2-4 weeks...
- Dengue virus serotype 4, northeastern Peru, 2008
Brett M Forshey
US Naval Medical Research Center Detachment, Lima and Iquitos, Peru
Emerg Infect Dis 15:1815-8. 2009
In 2008, dengue virus serotype 4 (DENV-4) emerged in northeastern Peru, causing a large outbreak and displacing DENV-3, which had predominated for the previous 6 years...
- Management of extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis in Peru: cure is possible
Cesar A Bonilla
Ministry of Health, Lima, Peru
PLoS ONE 3:e2957. 2008
- The health benefits of social mobilization: experiences with community-based Integrated Management of Childhood Illness in Chao, Peru and San Luis, Honduras
Pan American Health Organization, Washington, DC, USA
Promot Educ 15:15-20. 2008
..of the community component of the Integrated Management of Childhood Illness (IMCI) strategy in Chao, Peru (2001 to 2004) and San Luis, Honduras (2003 to 2005)...
- Semen quality and reproductive sex hormone levels in Peruvian pesticide sprayers
Faculty of Sciences and Philosophy, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru
Int J Occup Environ Health 12:355-61. 2006
..These findings provide further evidence that occupational exposures to OP pesticides adversely affect semen quality and sex hormones...
- Natural Plasmodium infections in Anopheles darlingi and Anopheles benarrochi (Diptera: Culicidae) from eastern Peru
Entomology Department, US Naval Medical Research Center Detachment, Unit 3800 APO AA 34031
J Med Entomol 41:489-94. 2004
..Welch) and Plasmodium vivax (Grassi & Feletti), has reemerged as a significant public health disease issue in Peru, especially in forested areas in the eastern part of the country...
- O3:K6 serotype of Vibrio parahaemolyticus identical to the global pandemic clone associated with diarrhea in Peru
Ana I Gil
Instituto de Investigacion Nutricional, Av La Molina 1885, Lima 12, Peru, AP 18 091, Lima 18, Peru
Int J Infect Dis 11:324-8. 2007
To determine if the Vibrio parahaemolyticus O3:K6 global pandemic clone has spread into Peru.
- Impact of two interventions on timeliness and data quality of an electronic disease surveillance system in a resource limited setting (Peru): a prospective evaluation
Moises A Huaman
US Naval Medical Research Center Detachment, Lima, Peru
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 9:16. 2009
..As data quality and timeliness are attributes that improve outbreak detection capacity, we assessed the effect of two interventions on such attributes in Alerta, an electronic disease surveillance system in the Peruvian Navy...
- Psychometric and cognitive validation of a social capital measurement tool in Peru and Vietnam
Mary J De Silva
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, Nutrition and Public Health Intervention Research Unit, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT, UK
Soc Sci Med 62:941-53. 2006
..The Young Lives (YL) study includes quantitative measures of caregiver's social capital in four countries (Vietnam, Peru, Ethiopia, and India) using a short version of the Adapted Social Capital Assessment Tool (SASCAT)...
- Tuberculosis skin testing, anergy and protein malnutrition in Peru
T F Pelly
Asociacion Benefica PRISMA, Lima, Peru
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 9:977-84. 2005
..Malnutrition and intestinal parasites cause immunosuppression. This may cause false-negative tuberculin skin tests (TST) and failure to identify tuberculosis (TB) infection...
- Cultural adaptation of birthing services in rural Ayacucho, Peru
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, England
Bull World Health Organ 87:724-9. 2009
Maternal mortality is particularly high among poor, indigenous women in rural Peru, and the use of facility care is low, partly due to cultural insensitivities of the health care system.
- DNA-level diversity and relatedness of Helicobacter pylori strains in shantytown families in Peru and transmission in a developing-country setting
Phabiola M Herrera
Laboratorios de Investigación y Desarrollo, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru
J Clin Microbiol 46:3912-8. 2008
..In the present study, we compared the genotypes of H. pylori from members of shantytown households in Peru to better understand the transmission of H. pylori in developing-country settings. H...
- Economic burden of neurocysticercosis: results from Peru
Department of International Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 101:840-6. 2007
..This study aimed to assess the treatment costs and productivity losses associated with NCC in Peru. NCC patients were identified through retrospective chart analysis...
- Spatial and temporal dynamics of dengue fever in Peru: 1994-2006
School of Human Evolution and Social Change, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, USA
Epidemiol Infect 136:1667-77. 2008
SUMMARYThe weekly number of dengue cases in Peru, South America, stratified by province for the period 1994-2006 were analysed in conjunction with associated demographic, geographic and climatological data...
- Medicinal plants from the Yanesha (Peru): evaluation of the leishmanicidal and antimalarial activity of selected extracts
IFEA UMIFRE 17 CNRS MAEE, Casilla 18 1217, Lima, Peru
J Ethnopharmacol 123:413-22. 2009
- Targeted screening strategies to detect Trypanosoma cruzi infection in children
Michael Z Levy
Division of Parasitic Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 1:e103. 2007
..Vector control campaigns disrupt transmission of T. cruzi, but without timely diagnosis, children infected prior to vector control often miss the window of opportunity for effective chemotherapy...
- Quantification of microbial communities in near-surface and deeply buried marine sediments on the Peru continental margin using real-time PCR
Section Geomicrobiology, Federal Institute for Geosciences and Natural Resources, Stilleweg 2, 30655 Hannover, Germany
Environ Microbiol 8:1251-60. 2006
..a comparative quantitative microbial community analysis in near-surface and deeply buried marine sediments from the Peru continental margin...
- Antibodies against desmoglein 1 in healthy subjects in endemic and nonendemic areas of pemphigus foliaceus (fogo selvagem) in Peru
Alex G Ortega Loayza
Clinical Research Institute, Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Lima, Peru
Int J Dermatol 45:538-42. 2006
..In Peru, no studies have been published on the seroprevalence of antibodies against desmoglein 1 in healthy subjects from ..
- Risk factors for the spread of HIV and other sexually transmitted infections among men who have sex with men infected with HIV in Lima, Peru
J L Clark
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, 10833 LeConte Avenue, CHS 37 121, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Sex Transm Infect 84:449-54. 2008
..infections (STIs), the frequency of sexual risk behaviours, and the relation between knowledge of HIV infection status and sexual risk behaviour among men who have sex with men (MSM) infected with HIV attending an STI clinic in Peru.
- A new clade of hepatitis B virus subgenotype F1 from Peru with unusual properties
Markus von Meltzer
Abteilung fur Virologie, Institut fur Medizinische Mikrobiologie, Virologie und Hygiene, Universitat Rostock, Schillingallee 70, D 18057, Rostock, Germany
Virus Genes 37:225-30. 2008
..We analysed nine sera from HBV carriers from Peru. Using the small hepatitis B surface protein HBs, all samples could be grouped to genotype F...
- Standard short-course chemotherapy for drug-resistant tuberculosis: treatment outcomes in 6 countries
M A Espinal
World Health Organization, Communicable Diseases Programme, Ave Appia 20, 1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland
JAMA 283:2537-45. 2000