- Seroprevalence and risk factors for dengue infection in socio-economically distinct areas of Recife, Brazil
Centro de Pesquisas Aggeu Magalhaes, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Av Professor Moraes Rego, S N, Cidade Universitaria, CEP 50670 420, Recife, PE, Brazil
Acta Trop 113:234-40. 2010
b>Brazil currently accounts for the majority of dengue cases reported in the Americas, with co-circulation of DENV 1-3. Striking variation in the epidemiological pattern of infection within cities has been observed...
- New reference values for forced spirometry in white adults in Brazil
Carlos Alberto de Castro Pereira
Service of Pulmonology Department, Hospital do Servidor Publico Estadual, HSPE, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
J Bras Pneumol 33:397-406. 2007
..To describe spirometric reference equations for healthy Brazilian adults who have never smoked and to compare the predicted values with those derived in 1992...
- Urban epidemic of severe leptospirosis in Brazil. Salvador Leptospirosis Study Group
A I Ko
Gonçalo Moniz Research Centre, Oswaldo Cruz Foundation, Brazilian Ministry of Health, Salvador
Lancet 354:820-5. 1999
..Leptospirosis has, traditionally, been considered a sporadic rural disease. We describe a large urban outbreak of leptospirosis...
- Trends of obesity and underweight in older children and adolescents in the United States, Brazil, China, and Russia
Carolina Population Center, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill 27516 3997, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 75:971-7. 2002
..Few studies have used the same references across countries to examine the trends of over- and underweight in older children and adolescents...
- High prevalence of asymptomatic Plasmodium vivax and Plasmodium falciparum infections in native Amazonian populations
Fabiana P Alves
Department of Parasitology, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Am J Trop Med Hyg 66:641-8. 2002
..The high prevalence of symptomless malaria may pose new problems for the currently adopted strategy for the control of malaria in the Amazonian region, which is essentially based on the treatment of symptomatic patients...
- Cohort profile: the 1982 Pelotas (Brazil) birth cohort study
Cesar G Victora
Programa de Pós Graduação em Epidemiologia, Universidade Federal de Pelotas, Brasil
Int J Epidemiol 35:237-42. 2006
- Lutzomyia longipalpis and the eco-epidemiology of American visceral leishmaniasis, with particular reference to Brazil: a review
Departamento de Parasitologia, Instituto Evandro Chagas, Belem, PA, Brazil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 100:811-27. 2005
..of American visceral leishmaniasis (AVL), with particular reference to the eco-epidemiology of the disease in Brazil. Following the first records of AVL in this country, in 1934, the sandfly Lutzomyia longipalpis (Lutz and Neiva, ..
- Convergent habitat segregation of Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus (Diptera: Culicidae) in southeastern Brazil and Florida
Marieta A H Braks
Florida Medical Entomology Laboratory, University of Florida IFAS, 200 9th Street SE, Vero Beach, FL 32962, USA
J Med Entomol 40:785-94. 2003
..was examined in different habitats of two cities (Rio de Janeiro and Nova Iguaçu) in Rio de Janeiro State, Brazil, and in two cities (Palm Beach and Boca Raton) in Florida...
- New molecular data on mammalian Hepatozoon species (Apicomplexa: Adeleorina) from Brazil and Spain
Laboratory of Parasitology, Department of Microbiology and Parasitology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Alcala, 28871 Alcala de Henares, Spain
J Parasitol 92:93-9. 2006
..to examine the phylogenetic relationships among Hepatozoon species isolated from 13 foxes and 15 opossums from Brazil, and from 15 dogs, 20 foxes, 45 rodents, and 330 domestic cats from Spain...
- Visceral leishmaniasis in Brazil: trends and challenges
Ana Nilce Silveira Maia-Elkhoury
Departamento de Vigilância Epidemiológica, Secretaria de Vigilância em Saúde, Ministerio da Saude, Brasilia, Brasil
Cad Saude Publica 24:2941-7. 2008
The urbanization of visceral leishmaniasis in Brazil has been related to environmental changes, migration, interaction and spread of sylvatic reservoirs and infected dogs to areas with no transmission, and adaptation of the vector ..
- Nontuberculous mycobacteria isolated in São José do Rio Preto, Brazil between 1996 and 2005
Heloisa da Silveira Paro Pedro
Instituto Adolfo Lutz, Sao Jose do Rio Preto, SP, Brasil
J Bras Pneumol 34:950-5. 2008
..nontuberculous mycobacteria and the range of species isolated between 1996 and 2005 at a regional branch of the Adolfo Lutz Institute-located in the city of São José do Rio Preto, Brazil-and to show the importance of laboratory testing.
- Prenatal care effectiveness and utilization in Brazil
George L Wehby
Dept of Health Management and Policy, University of Iowa, E204, GH, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Health Policy Plan 24:175-88. 2009
..weight (BW) and gestational age outcomes using samples of infants born without and with common birth defects from Brazil, and evaluated the demand for prenatal care...
- Dengue: twenty-five years since reemergence in Brazil
Maria Gloria Teixeira
Instituto De Saude Coletiva, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Salvador, Brasil
Cad Saude Publica 25:S7-18. 2009
This article revisits the epidemiology of dengue in Brazil, 25 years after its reemergence in the country, discussing the main determinants and implications for its control...
- Asymptomatic carriers of Plasmodium spp. as infection source for malaria vector mosquitoes in the Brazilian Amazon
Fabiana Piovesan Alves
Centro de Pesquisa em Medicina Tropical, BR 364 Km 4, 5, 78910 210, Porto Velho, Rondonia, Brazil
J Med Entomol 42:777-9. 2005
..These results have implications for the malaria control program in Brazil, which focuses essentially on the treatment of symptomatic patients.
- Visceral leishmaniasis in Brazil: revisiting paradigms of epidemiology and control
Centro de Pesquisas Aggeu Magalhaes, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Av Moraes Rego s n, 50670 420 Recife, Brazil
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 48:151-6. 2006
In the last 20 years, despite the known underestimation of cases, Brazil registered a marked increase in the incidence of visceral leishmaniasis...
- Carriage of Leptospira interrogans among domestic rats from an urban setting highly endemic for leptospirosis in Brazil
Marcos Tucunduva de Faria
Gonçalo Moniz Research Centre, Oswaldo Cruz Foundation, Ministry of Health, Salvador, Brazil
Acta Trop 108:1-5. 2008
A survey was conducted to identify reservoirs for urban leptospirosis in the city of Salvador, Brazil. Sampling protocols were performed in the vicinity of households of severe leptospirosis cases identified during active hospital-based ..
- Malaria epidemiology in low-endemicity areas of the Atlantic Forest in the Vale do Ribeira, São Paulo, Brazil
Superintendencia de Controle de Endemias, SUCEN, Secretaria de Estado da Saúde, Rua Paula Sousa 166, CEP 01027 000, Brazil
Acta Trop 100:54-62. 2006
..Both are located in the Vale do Ribeira in the state of São Paulo, Brazil. In this study, 318 subjects from both areas had their blood analyzed for the presence of malaria parasites by ..
- Proven and putative vectors of American cutaneous leishmaniasis in Brazil: aspects of their biology and vectorial competence
Elizabeth Ferreira Rangel
Laboratório de Transmissores de Leishmanioses, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brasil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 104:937-54. 2009
..the vectorial competence of Lutzomyia sand fly species suggested as vectors of American cutaneous leishmaniasis in Brazil. The disease, due to Leishmania (Viannia) braziliensis, has been registered in most municipalities in all the ..
- Commercialization of animal-derived remedies as complementary medicine in the semi-arid region of Northeastern Brazil
Rômulo R N Alves
Departamento de Biologia, Universidade Estadual da Paraiba, Avenida das Baraúnas, Campina Grande, Paraíba 58109 753, Brazil romulo
J Ethnopharmacol 124:600-8. 2009
..the use of animal species in traditional medicine and healing practices in the semi-arid region of Northeastern Brazil. While widespread and of great importance to large population that has limited access to contemporary medicine, ..
- Temporal distribution of Aedes aegypti in different districts of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, measured by two types of traps
N A Honório
Laboratório de Transmissores de Hematozoários, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz FIOCRUZ, Av Brasil 4365, Manguinhos, Rio de Janeiro, CEP 21045 900, Brasil
J Med Entomol 46:1001-14. 2009
Dengue dynamics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, as in many dengue-endemic regions of the world, is seasonal, with peaks during the wet-hot months...
- Entomological characterization and natural infection of anophelines in an area of the Atlantic Forest with autochthonous malaria cases in mountainous region of Espírito Santo State, Brazil
Helder R Rezende
Unidade de Medicina Tropical, Univ Federal do Espírito Santo
Neotrop Entomol 38:272-80. 2009
Autochthonous malaria cases in the state of Espírito Santo, Brazil, are distributed in mountainous regions surrounded by the Atlantic Forest...
- Analysis of the activity patterns of two sympatric sandfly siblings of the Lutzomyia longipalpis species complex from Brazil
G B S Rivas
Laboratório de Biologia Molecular de Insetos, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Med Vet Entomol 22:288-90. 2008
..longipalpis is a species complex in Brazil. The patterns of activity of insect vectors are important in disease transmission...
- Seasonality of Lutzomyia intermedia and Lutzomyia whitmani (Diptera: Psychodidae: Phlebotominae), occurring sympatrically in area of cutaneous leishmaniasis in the State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Nataly A Souza
Departamento de Entomologia, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brasil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 97:759-65. 2002
..intermedia displayed greater density in the hottest months of the year (December, January, and February), L. whitmani was abundant in the coolest months (June, July, and August), although both occurred throughout the year...
- Heterogeneous geographic distribution of human T-cell lymphotropic viruses I and II (HTLV-I/II): serological screening prevalence rates in blood donors from large urban areas in Brazil
Fundação Hemominas, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Cad Saude Publica 21:926-31. 2005
b>Brazil may have the highest absolute number of HTLV-I/II seropositive individuals in the world. Screening potential blood donors for HTLV-I/II is mandatory in Brazil. The public blood center network accounts for about 80...
- Clinical and immunopathological spectrum of American cutaneous leishmaniasis with special reference to the disease in Amazonian Brazil: a review
Fernando T Silveira
Departamento de Parasitologia, Instituto Evandro Chagas, Secretaria de Vigilância em Saúde, Ministerio da Saude, Belem, PA, 66090 000, Brasil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 99:239-51. 2004
..study on the clinical, histopathological and immunopathological features of cutaneous leishmaniasis in Amazonian Brazil, we propose the use of the term "borderline disseminated cutaneous leishmaniasis" for the disseminated form of the ..
- Genetic polymorphism and molecular epidemiology of Leishmania (Viannia) braziliensis from different hosts and geographic areas in Brazil
Laboratório de Pesquisas em Leishmaniose Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
J Clin Microbiol 41:3126-32. 2003
..V.) braziliensis genotypes with specific transmission cycles, probably reflecting an adaptation of different clones to the vector species involved...
- Brazilian Sepsis Epidemiological Study (BASES study)
Intensive Care Unit, Hospital Israelita Albert Einstein, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Crit Care 8:R251-60. 2004
Consistent data about the incidence and outcome of sepsis in Latin American intensive care units (ICUs), including Brazil, are lacking. This study was designed to verify the actual incidence density and outcome of sepsis in Brazilian ICUs...
- Forum: geographic spread and urbanization of visceral leishmaniasis in Brazil. Introduction
Guilherme L Werneck
Departamento de Endemias Samuel Pessoa, Escola Nacional de Saude Publica Sergio Arouca, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Cad Saude Publica 24:2937-40. 2008
The geographic spread and urbanization of visceral leishmaniasis in Brazil has been described since the early 1980s...
- Validation of a hierarchical deterministic record-linkage algorithm using data from 2 different cohorts of human immunodeficiency virus-infected persons and mortality databases in Brazil
Antonio G Pacheco
Programa de Computacao Cientifica, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Avenida Brasil 4365, Manguinhos, 21045 360 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Am J Epidemiol 168:1326-32. 2008
..Data from patients known to be deceased in 2 cohorts in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and data from the Rio de Janeiro State mortality database for 1999-2006 were used to validate the algorithm...
- Re-examining hypotheses concerning the use and knowledge of medicinal plants: a study in the Caatinga vegetation of NE Brazil
Ulysses Paulino de Albuquerque
Laboratório de Etnobotânica Aplicada, Área de Botânica, Departamento de Biologia, Universidade Federal Rural de Pernambuco, Rua Dom Manoel de Medeiros s n, Dois Irmãos Recife Pernambuco, 52171 030, Brasil
J Ethnobiol Ethnomed 2:30. 2006
The Caatinga (dry land vegetation) is one of the most characteristic vegetation types in northeastern Brazil. It occupies a large percentage of the semi-arid region there, and generally supports two major types of economic activity: ..
- Spatial evaluation and modeling of Dengue seroprevalence and vector density in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Nildimar Alves Honorio
Laboratório de Transmissores de Hematozoários, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 3:e545. 2009
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, experienced a severe dengue fever epidemic in 2008. This was the worst epidemic ever, characterized by a sharp increase in case-fatality rate, mainly among younger individuals...
- Dengue virus type 4, Manaus, Brazil
Regina Maria Pinto de Figueiredo
Fundacao de Medicina Tropical do Amazonas, Manaus, Brazil
Emerg Infect Dis 14:667-9. 2008
We report dengue virus type 4 (DENV-4) in Amazonas, Brazil. This virus was isolated from serum samples of 3 patients treated at a tropical medicine reference center in Manaus...
- [Vertical and seasonal distribution of Anopheles (Kerteszia) in Ilha Comprida, Southeastern Brazil]
Helene Mariko Ueno
Núcleo de Pesquisa Taxonômica e Sistemática em Entomologia Médica, Faculdade de Saude Publica, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Av Dr Arnaldo 715, 01246 904 São Paulo, SP, Brazil
Rev Saude Publica 41:269-75. 2007
..cruzii are vectors of the so-called bromeliad-malaria, typical of conserved areas. The objective was to evaluate the seasonal and vertical distribution of these anophelines, aiming at assessing the risk of malaria transmission...
- Multilevel analysis of hepatitis A infection in children and adolescents: a household survey in the Northeast and Central-west regions of Brazil
Ricardo Arraes de Alencar Ximenes
State University of Pernambuco, School of Medical Sciences, Oswaldo Cruz University Hospital, Recife, PE, Brazil
Int J Epidemiol 37:852-61. 2008
..the prevalence of hepatitis A among children and adolescents from the Northeast and Midwest regions and the Federal District of Brazil and to identify individual-, household- and area-levels factors associated with hepatitis A infection.
- Physical inactivity: prevalence and associated variables in Brazilian adults
Pedro Curi Hallal
Post Graduate Program in Epidemiology, Federal University of Pelotas, RS, Brazil
Med Sci Sports Exerc 35:1894-900. 2003
..To measure the prevalence of physical inactivity, and variables associated with it, in an adult southern Brazilian population...
- New genotype of dengue type 3 virus circulating in Brazil and Colombia showed a close relationship to old Asian viruses
Victor Hugo Aquino
Departamento de Analises Clinicas, Toxicologicas e Bromatologicas, Faculdade de Ciencias Farmaceuticas, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, Sao Paulo, Brasil
PLoS ONE 4:e7299. 2009
Dengue type 3 genotype V viruses have been recently detected in Brazil and Colombia. In this study, we described another Brazilian isolate belonging to this genotype...
- Malaria risk on the Amazon frontier
Marcia Caldas De Castro
Department of Geography, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC 29208, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:2452-7. 2006
..ground-level surveys and ethnographic appraisal, focusing on the Machadinho settlement project in Rondônia, Brazil. Spatially explicit analyses reveal that the early stages of frontier settlement are dominated by environmental ..
- Prevalence and spatial distribution of intestinal parasitic infections in a rural Amazonian settlement, Acre State, Brazil
Estéfano Alves de Souza
Instituto de Ciencias Biomedicas, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brasil
Cad Saude Publica 23:427-34. 2007
..spatial distribution of intestinal parasitism was carried out in an agricultural settlement in the Amazon Basin of Brazil (Granada, Acre State). More than half (53...
- An emerging peri-urban pattern of infection with Leishmania chagasi, the protozoan causing visceral leishmaniasis in northeast Brazil
Selma M B Jeronimo
Department of Biochemistry, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Norte, Natal, RN, Brazil
Scand J Infect Dis 36:443-9. 2004
..We studied peri-urban VL in endemic neighborhoods surrounding Natal, Brazil, identified through hospitalized individuals with VL...
- Molecular identification of Giardia duodenalis isolates from humans, dogs, cats and cattle from the state of São Paulo, Brazil, by sequence analysis of fragments of glutamate dehydrogenase (gdh) coding gene
Silvio L P Souza
Departamento de Medicina Veterinaria Preventiva e Saude Animal, Faculdade de Medicina Veterinaria e Zootecnia, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Av Prof Dr Orlando Marques de Paiva 87, CEP 05508 900, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Vet Parasitol 149:258-64. 2007
..The samples were from several municipalities within the state of São Paulo, Brazil and were collected from January 2004 to August 2006...
- Epidemiologic aspects of the malaria transmission cycle in an area of very low incidence in Brazil
Department of Social Medicine, Biomedical Center, Federal University of Espirito Santo, Maruípe, Vitoria ES, Brazil
Malar J 6:33. 2007
Extra-Amazonian autochthonous Plasmodium vivax infections have been reported in mountainous regions surrounded by the Atlantic Forest in Espírito Santo state, Brazil.
- Prevalence of child and adolescent psychiatric disorders in southeast Brazil
Department of Psychiatry, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 43:727-34. 2004
..To describe the prevalence of DSM-IV disorders and the pattern of comorbidity in a population-based sample of 7- to 14-year-old Brazilian schoolchildren...
- Income-specific trends in obesity in Brazil: 1975-2003
Carlos A Monteiro
Department of Nutrition, School of Public Health, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Am J Public Health 97:1808-12. 2007
We sought to update income-specific secular trends in obesity in Brazil to assess the hypothesis that the disease burden is shifting toward the poor.
- Medicinal plants of the caatinga (semi-arid) vegetation of NE Brazil: a quantitative approach
Ulysses Paulino de Albuquerque
Universidade Federal Rural de Pernambuco, Departamento de Biologia, Área de Botânica, Laboratório de Etnobotânica Aplicada, Rua Dom Manoel de Medeiros s n, Dois Irmaos, Recife, Pernambuco 52171 030, Brazil
J Ethnopharmacol 114:325-54. 2007
..published works cited a total of 389 plant species used by indigenous and rural communities in northeastern Brazil for medicinal purposes...
- Multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1 in Brazil: MEN1 founding mutation, clinical features, and bone mineral density profile
D M Lourenco
Unidade de Endocrinologia Genética, Laboratório de Investigação Médica LIM 25, Endocrinologia, Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade de Sao Paulo FMUSP, Cerqueira Cesar, Sao Paulo 01246 903, SP, Brasil
Eur J Endocrinol 159:259-74. 2008
..Only few large families with multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1 (MEN1) have been documented. Here, we aimed to investigate the clinical features of a seven-generation Brazilian pedigree, which included 715 at-risk family members...
- Detailed haplotype analysis at the TP53 locus in p.R337H mutation carriers in the population of Southern Brazil: evidence for a founder effect
International Agency for Research on Cancer IARC, Lyon, Rhone, France
Hum Mutat 31:143-50. 2010
..In Southern Brazil, a recurrent TP53 mutation, p.R337H, is detected in families with cancer predisposition...
- Origin and evolutionary history of HIV-1 subtype C in Brazil
Laboratorio de AIDS and Imunologia Molecular, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
AIDS 22:1993-2000. 2008
To investigate the origin and to reconstruct the onset date of the HIV-1 subtype C epidemic in Brazil.
- Evaluation of the sticky MosquiTRAP for detecting Aedes (Stegomyia) aegypti (L.) (Diptera: Culicidae) during the dry season in Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Renata A Gama
Lab Ecologia Química de Insetos Vetores, Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas, Univ Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, MG
Neotrop Entomol 36:294-302. 2007
..Although the MosquiTRAP caught a low number of Aedes mosquitoes during the study, it was more sensitive than the larval survey to detect the presence of Aedes mosquitoes...
- Mortality due to systemic mycoses as a primary cause of death or in association with AIDS in Brazil: a review from 1996 to 2006
Departamento de Epidemiologia, Escola de Saúde Pública, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brasil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 104:513-21. 2009
..candidiasis, aspergillosis, coccidioidomycosis and zygomycosis amounted to 3,583 between 1996-2006 in Brazil. When analysed as the underlying cause of death, paracoccidioidomycosis represented the most important cause of ..
- Longitudinal study of Cryptosporidium infection in children in northeastern Brazil
R D Newman
Health Alliance International, Seattle, WA 98105, USA
J Infect Dis 180:167-75. 1999
A prospective, 4-year cohort study of children born in an urban slum in northeastern Brazil was undertaken to elucidate the epidemiology of Cryptosporidium infection in an endemic setting, describe factors associated with Cryptosporidium-..
- Vulnerability to heat-related mortality in Latin America: a case-crossover study in Sao Paulo, Brazil, Santiago, Chile and Mexico City, Mexico
Michelle L Bell
EnvironmentalHealth, Yale University, New Haven, CT06511, USA
Int J Epidemiol 37:796-804. 2008
..Factors affecting vulnerability to heat-related mortality are not well understood. Identifying susceptible populations is of particular importance given anticipated rising temperatures from climatic change...
- Dengue and dengue hemorrhagic fever, Brazil, 1981-2002
Joao Bosco Siqueira
Ministry of Health, Quadra 4, Bloco N, 7o andar Sala 715, 70 070 040 Brasília, DF, Brazil
Emerg Infect Dis 11:48-53. 2005
In the last 5 years, Brazil has accounted for approximately 70% of reported dengue fever cases in the Americas...
- The impact of short message service text messages sent as appointment reminders to patients' cell phones at outpatient clinics in São Paulo, Brazil
Thiago Martini da Costa
Postgraduate Program in Health Informatics, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Rua Botucatu 862, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Int J Med Inform 79:65-70. 2010
..objective of this article is to present the results of a study on the impact of appointment reminders sent as short message service text messages to patients' cell phones on nonattendance rates at outpatient clinics in São Paulo, Brazil.
- Epidemiology of candidemia in Brazil: a nationwide sentinel surveillance of candidemia in eleven medical centers
Arnaldo L Colombo
Division of Infectious Diseases, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Rua Botucatu 740, 04023 062 Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Clin Microbiol 44:2816-23. 2006
..We conducted prospective candidemia surveillance in Brazil to assess the incidence, species distribution, frequency of antifungal resistance, and risk factors for ..
- Dengue viruses in Brazil, 1986-2006
Rita Maria Ribeiro Nogueira
Flavivirus Laboratory, Department of Virology, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz FIOCRUZ, Avenida Brasil 4365, 21040 190, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brasil
Rev Panam Salud Publica 22:358-63. 2007
A total of 4,243,049 dengue cases have been reported in Brazil between 1981 and 2006, including 5,817 cases of dengue hemorrhagic fever/dengue shock syndrome (DHF/DSS) and a total of 338 fatal cases...
- Screening and characterization of mutations in isoniazid-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates obtained in Brazil
Rosilene Fressatti Cardoso
Department of Clincal Analysis, State University of Maringa, Parana, Brazil
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:3373-81. 2004
..97 isoniazid (INH)-resistant and 60 INH-susceptible Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates obtained in two states in Brazil: São Paulo and Paraná...
- [Study of sand flies (Diptera, Psychodidae, Phlebotominae) in the urban area of Campo Grande, Mato Grosso do Sul State, Brazil, from 1999 to 2000]
Alessandra Gutierrez de Oliveira
Centro de Controle de Zoonoses, Secretaria Municipal de Sa de de Campo Grande, Campo Grande, MS, 79074 460, Brasil
Cad Saude Publica 19:933-44. 2003
..captured weekly with CDC light traps at five sites in the urban area of Campo Grande, Mato Grosso do Sul State, Brazil. Traps were placed in 11 different ecotopes in the environment (ground level, tree canopies, and forest edge) and ..
- Etiology of childhood diarrhea in the northeast of Brazil: significant emergent diarrheal pathogens
Ana Carolina Ramos Moreno
Department of Clinical and Toxicological Analyses, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP 05508 900, Brazil
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 66:50-7. 2010
In a study conducted in João Pessoa, northeast of Brazil, 2344 Escherichia coli isolated from 290 infants with diarrhea and 290 healthy matched controls were analyzed for virulence traits. Enteroaggregative E...
- Influence of TNF and IL10 gene polymorphisms in the immunopathogenesis of leprosy in the south of Brazil
Danilo Santana Alessio Franceschi
Laboratorio de Imunogenetica, Departamento de Analises Clinicas, Universidade Estadual de Maringa, Av Colombo, 5790, Maringa, PR, CEP 87020 900, Brazil
Int J Infect Dis 13:493-8. 2009
..To determine whether cytokine polymorphisms are associated with leprosy and/or their subtypes in a Brazilian population...
- Tree species impoverishment and the future flora of the Atlantic forest of northeast Brazil
J M Cardoso da Silva
Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, Centro de Ciencias Biologicas, Departamento de Zoologia, Recife, PE, Brazil
Nature 404:72-4. 2000
..Here we use a different approach to estimate loss of tree species in the Atlantic forest of northeast Brazil. We evaluate the characteristics of plant species, their avian dispersers and the distribution of the forest ..
- Clonal composition of Escherichia coli causing community-acquired urinary tract infections in the State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Rubens C S Dias
Institute of Microbiology, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Microb Drug Resist 15:303-8. 2009
..To investigate if a similar pattern of spread occurs in Brazil, we characterized UPEC from women with community-acquired urinary tract infection (UTI) in Rio de Janeiro. E...
- Pre-Columbian Chagas disease in Brazil: Trypanosoma cruzi I in the archaeological remains of a human in Peruaçu Valley, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Laboratório de Genética Molecular de Microorganismos, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 103:514-6. 2008
..The mummy was from the Peruaçu Valley in the state of Minas Gerais, Brazil. All samples were positive for T...
- Heterogeneity of malaria prevalence in alluvial gold mining areas in Northern Mato Grosso State, Brazil
Alisson Flávio Barbieri
Centro de Desenvolvimento e Planejamento Regional, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Rua Curitiba 832, Belo Horizonte, MG 30170, Brazil
Cad Saude Publica 23:2878-86. 2007
..Understanding these differences may provide an important tool for identifying risk profiles in the gold mining and related population and for informing programs for prevention and treatment of malaria in the Amazon...
- Spatial analysis of American Visceral Leishmaniasis in Mato Grosso do Sul State, Central Brazil
Suely Aparecida Correa Antonialli
Escola de Saúde Pública Dr Jorge David Nasser, Coordenadoria de Recursos Humanos em Saúde Coletiva, Avenida Filinto Muller, nú1480, Bairro Ipiranga, Campo Grande, MS 79074 460, Brazil
J Infect 54:509-14. 2007
To map American Visceral Leishmaniasis (AVL) in Mato Grosso do Sul State (Central Brazil).
- [Prevalence of symptoms of anorexia nervosa and dissatisfaction with body image among female adolescents in Florianópolis, Santa Catarina State, Brazil]
Programa de Pós Graduaçço em Nutriçço, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, Florianopolis, Brasil
Cad Saude Publica 24:503-12. 2008
..EAT+) and dissatisfaction with body image among female adolescents in Florianópolis, Santa Catarina State, Brazil. The proportional sample (1,148 adolescents) was stratified according to position of schools in the socio-..
- Distribution of virulence markers in clinical and environmental Vibrio cholerae non-O1/non-O139 strains isolated in Brazil from 1991 to 2000
Grace Nazareth Diogo Theophilo
Department of Bacteriology, Oswaldo Cruz Institute, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 48:65-70. 2006
..seventy nine Vibrio cholerae non-O1/non-O139 strains from clinical and different environmental sources isolated in Brazil from 1991 to 2000 were serogrouped and screened for the presence of four different virulence factors...
- Widespread occurrence of antibodies against circumsporozoite protein and against blood forms of Plasmodium vivax, P. falciparum and P. malariae in Brazilian wild monkeys
Ana Maria R de C Duarte
Laboratório de Doenças Tropicais, Departamento de Epidemiologia, Faculdade de Saude Publica, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Med Primatol 35:87-96. 2006
..7 years and a total of 777 serum samples from wild monkeys were collected in three distinct ecological areas of Brazil where autochthonous malaria has been reported: the 'Cerrado' (similar to savanna), the Atlantic Forest and the ..
- Trends in prenatal care use and low birthweight in southeast Brazil
Marcelo Z Goldani
Department of Paediatrics and Puericulture, Faculty of Medicine, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Am J Public Health 94:1366-71. 2004
..We investigated trends in prenatal care use and its association with low birthweight in a developing country...
- Phylogenetic characterization of hantaviruses from wild rodents and hantavirus pulmonary syndrome cases in the state of Parana (southern Brazil)
Sonia Mara Raboni
Instituto Carlos Chagas, ICC Fiocruz PR, Brazil
J Gen Virol 90:2166-71. 2009
Over 1,100 cases of hantavirus pulmonary syndrome (HPS) have occurred in Brazil since 1993, but little is known about Brazilian hantaviruses, and many of their rodent hosts remain unknown...
- The influence of increased access to basic healthcare on the trends in Hansen's disease detection rate in Brazil from 1980 to 2006
Maria Lucia Fernandes Penna
Brazilian National Hansen s Disease Control Program, Secretariat of Health Surveillance, Federal Ministry of Health, DF, Brazil
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 41:6-10. 2008
..The detection rate began a trend towards decline in 2003, indicating a new phase of Hansen's disease control...
- Violence and post-traumatic stress disorder in Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil: the protocol for an epidemiological and genetic survey
Sergio Baxter Andreoli
Department of Psychiatry, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
BMC Psychiatry 9:34. 2009
..b>Brazil is one of the most violent countries in the world, and has an extreme social inequality...
- [Ambulatory care sensitive hospitalizations: elaboration of Brazilian list as a tool for measuring health system performance (Project ICSAP--Brazil)]
Maria Elmira Alfradique
Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brasil
Cad Saude Publica 25:1337-49. 2009
..This paper presents a description of the steps undertaken to construct and validate a list for Brazil. The final list includes 20 groups of diagnostic conditions that represented 28.3% of a total of 2...
- Triatoma juazeirensis sp. nov. from the state of Bahia, Northeastern Brazil (Hemiptera: Reduviidae: Triatominae)
Laboratório da Coleção Entomológica, Departamento de Entomologia, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, 21045 900, Brasil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 102:87-90. 2007
Triatoma juazeirensis, a new triatomine species from the state of Bahia, Northeastern Brazil, is described. The new species is found among rocks in sylvatic environment and in the peridomicile...
- Dispersal of Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus (Diptera: Culicidae) in an urban endemic dengue area in the State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Nildimar Alves Honorio
Laboratório de Transmissores de Hematozoários, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brasil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 98:191-8. 2003
..albopictus were performed in August and September 1999, in an urban area of Nova Igua u, State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, to estimate their flight range in a circular area of 1,600 m where 1,472 ovitraps were set. Releases of 3,055 Ae...
- Gender and leprosy: case studies in Indonesia, Nigeria, Nepal and Brazil
Corlien M Varkevisser
Royal Tropical Institute, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Lepr Rev 80:65-76. 2009
..Between 1997 and 1999, leprosy control teams in Indonesia, Nigeria, Nepal and Brazil supported by social/public health scientists, conducted comparative exploratory research...
- The human papillomavirus infection in men study: human papillomavirus prevalence and type distribution among men residing in Brazil, Mexico, and the United States
Anna R Giuliano
H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, 12902 Magnolia Drive, MRC 2067D, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 17:2036-43. 2008
..In samples combined from the coronal sulcus, glans penis, shaft, and scrotum of 1,160 men from Brazil, Mexico, and the United States, overall HPV prevalence was 65.2%, with 12.0% oncogenic types only, 20...
- Mosquito traps designed to capture Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae) females: preliminary comparison of Adultrap, MosquiTRAP and backpack aspirator efficiency in a dengue-endemic area of Brazil
Laboratório de Transmissores de Hematozoários, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brasil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 103:602-5. 2008
..Both trapping methods, designed to collect gravid Ae. aegypti females, seem to be efficient, reliable and may aid routine Ae. aegypti surveillance...
- Impact of canine control on the epidemiology of canine and human visceral leishmaniasis in Brazil
C B Palatnik-de-Sousa
Department of General Microbiology, , Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Am J Trop Med Hyg 65:510-7. 2001
b>Brazil is the only country endemic for zoonotic visceral leishmaniasis (ZVL) that regularly conducts epidemiologic and prophylactic control programs that involve the treatment of human cases, insect vector control, and the removal of ..
- 'Candidatus Liberibacter americanus', associated with citrus huanglongbing (greening disease) in São Paulo State, Brazil
Diva do Carmo Teixeira
Fundecitrus, Av Dr Adhemar Pereira de Barros, 201, CEP 14807 040, Araraquara, SP, Brazil
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 55:1857-62. 2005
Symptoms of huanglongbing (HLB) were reported in São Paulo State (SPS), Brazil, in March 2004. In Asia, HLB is caused by 'Candidatus Liberibacter asiaticus' and in Africa by 'Candidatus Liberibacter africanus'...
- Stability predicts genetic diversity in the Brazilian Atlantic forest hotspot
Ana Carolina Carnaval
Museum of Vertebrate Zoology, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720 3160, USA
Science 323:785-9. 2009
..This sets new priorities for conservation in Brazil and establishes a validated approach to biodiversity prediction in other understudied, species-rich regions.
- Risk factors for failure to complete a course of latent tuberculosis infection treatment in Salvador, Brazil
Escola Bahiana de Medicina e Saude Publica, Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 13:719-25. 2009
..Although treatment of latent tuberculosis infection (LTBI) is an essential component of tuberculosis (TB) control in countries such as the United States, it is not widely practiced in most TB-endemic countries...
- Time series analysis of dengue incidence in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Paula M Luz
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut 06511, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 79:933-9. 2008
..approach to fit an autoregressive integrated moving average (ARIMA) model to dengue incidence in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, from 1997 to 2004...
- Antileishmanial and antifungal activity of plants used in traditional medicine in Brazil
Fernanda G Braga
Departamento de Parasitologia, Microbiologia e Imunologia, ICB, Universidade Federal de Juiz de Fora, Juiz de Fora, MG, Brazil
J Ethnopharmacol 111:396-402. 2007
..albicans (MIC of 1.25 mg/ml) whereas Bixa orellana, O. gratissimum and Syzygium cumini exhibited the best activity against C. neoformans (MIC of 0.078 mg/ml)...
- Unwanted caesarean sections among public and private patients in Brazil: prospective study
J E Potter
University of Texas at Austin, Population Research Center, Austin, Texas, USA
BMJ 323:1155-8. 2001
..To assess and compare the preferences of pregnant women in the public and private sector regarding delivery in Brazil. DESIGN: Face to face structured interviews with women who were interviewed early in pregnancy, about one month ..
- Production of antimicrobial substances by Bacillus subtilis LFE-1, B. firmus HO-1 and B. licheniformis T6-5 isolated from an oil reservoir in Brazil
Departamento de Microbiologia Geral, Instituto de Microbiologia Prof Paulo de Góes IMPPG, Centro de Ciencias da Saude CCS, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro UFRJ, Brazil
J Appl Microbiol 98:667-75. 2005
..Furthermore, physiological and biochemical characteristics of the antimicrobial compounds produced by the selected strains were determined...
- Cross sectional study reveals a high percentage of asymptomatic Plasmodium vivax infection in the Amazon Rio Negro area, Brazil
Martha C Suarez-Mútis
Laboratório de Doenças Parasitárias, Departamento de Medicina Tropical, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brasil
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 49:159-64. 2007
..and molecular cross-sectional study carried out in a highly endemic malaria area of Rio Negro in the Amazon State, Brazil, revealed a high prevalence of asymptomatic Plasmodium vivax infection...
- Variability of kinetoplast DNA gene signatures of Trypanosoma cruzi II strains from patients with different clinical forms of Chagas' disease in Brazil
Departamento de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidade Federal do Triangulo Mineiro, Uberaba, Brazil
J Clin Microbiol 44:2167-71. 2006
..All patients came from an area where Chagas' disease is endemic in southeast Brazil where vectorial transmission has been controlled and different clinical forms of the disease can be found...
- Validation of the National Institutes of Health Stroke Scale, modified Rankin Scale and Barthel Index in Brazil: the role of cultural adaptation and structured interviewing
Stroke Clinic, Federal University of Bahia, Salvador, Brazil
Cerebrovasc Dis 27:119-22. 2009
..We aimed to validate three widely used scales in stroke research in a multiethnic Brazilian population...
- Lutzomyia vectors for cutaneous leishmaniasis in Southern Brazil: ecological niche models, predicted geographic distributions, and climate change effects
A Townsend Peterson
Natural History Museum, The University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS 66045, USA
Int J Parasitol 33:919-31. 2003
..that only Lutzomyia whitmani is likely to be experiencing dramatic improvements in conditions in south-eastern Brazil, where cutaneous leishmaniasis appears to be re-emerging; Lutzomyia intermedia and Lutzomyia migonei may be seeing ..
- Consumer demand for caesarean sections in Brazil: informed decision making, patient choice, or social inequality? A population based birth cohort study linking ethnographic and epidemiological methods
Dominique P Behague
Department of Social Medicine, Federal University of Pelotas, CP 464 96001 970, Pelotas, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
BMJ 324:942-5. 2002
..To investigate why some women prefer caesarean sections and how decisions to medicalise birthing are influenced by patients, doctors, and the sociomedical environment...
- Disability adjusted life years lost to dengue in Brazil
P M Luz
School of Public Health, Yale University, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Trop Med Int Health 14:237-46. 2009
To assess the dengue burden in Brazil, and to compare it over three spatial scales: in the city of Rio de Janeiro, the state of Rio de Janeiro, and in Brazil overall.
- [Nutritional evaluation follow-up of the 1982 birth cohort, Pelotas, Southern Brazil]
Denise P Gigante
Programa de Pós Graduação em Epidemiologia, Universidade Federal de Pelotas, Pelotas, RS, Brasil
Rev Saude Publica 42:60-9. 2008
..To estimate the prevalence of over/underweight and its association with demographic and socioeconomic factors...
- Factors associated with adherence to antiretroviral therapy in HIV/AIDS patients: a cross-sectional study in Southern Brazil
C A T Pinheiro
Servi o de Assist ncia Especializada em HIV AIDS, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Pelotas, Pelotas, RS, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 35:1173-81. 2002
..was conducted on HIV-infected adults being treated with antiretroviral drugs at a reference service in Southern Brazil. Participants answered a sociodemographic questionnaire and were tested by scales assessing sociocognitive ..
- Genetic diversity of the E protein of dengue type 3 virus
Alberto A Amarilla
Virology Research Center, School of Medicine of Ribeirão Preto USP, Ribeirao Preto SP, Brazil
Virol J 6:113. 2009
..E protein gene sequences of 20 new viruses isolated in Ribeirao Preto, Brazil, and 427 sequences retrieved from GenBank were aligned for diversity and phylogenetic analysis.
- The traditional knowledge on stingless bees (Apidae: Meliponina) used by the Enawene-Nawe tribe in western Brazil
Gilton Mendes dos Santos
Departamento de Antropologia, Universidade Federal do Amazonas, UFAM Av Gen Rodrigo Octávio Jordão Ramos, 3000 CampusUniversitário CEP 69077 000, Manaus, AM, Brazil
J Ethnobiol Ethnomed 4:19. 2008
..The Enawene-Nawe are an Aruak speaking people, indigenous to the Meridian Amazon. Specifically, they live in the Jurema River hydrological basin, located in the northwestern region of the Mato Grosso state...
- Cross-sectional and longitudinal epidemiologic surveys of human and canine Leishmania infantum visceral infections in an endemic rural area of southeast Brazil (Pancas, Espirito Santo)
Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Universidade Federal do Espirito Santo, Vitoria, ES, Brazil
Am J Trop Med Hyg 80:559-65. 2009
In an endemic rural area of southeast Brazil, surveys confirmed that dogs serve as peridomestic reservoirs of Leishmania infantum...
- Antimicrobial activity of endophytic fungi associated with Orchidaceae in Brazil
Aline B M Vaz
Departamento de Microbiologia, Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas ICB, C P 486, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, 31270 901, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Can J Microbiol 55:1381-91. 2009
..This study is the first survey investigating the bioactive potential of endophytic fungi associated with tropical Orchidaceae species present in Brazilian ecosystems...
- Viral load and genotypes of noroviruses in symptomatic and asymptomatic children in Southeastern Brazil
Débora Maria Pires Gonçalves Barreira
Nucleo de Doencas Infecciosas, Health Science Center, Federal University of Espirito Santo, Av Marechal Campos 1468, 29043 900 Maruipe, Vitoria, ES, Brazil
J Clin Virol 47:60-4. 2010
..Noroviruses (NoVs) are a major etiological agent of sporadic acute gastroenteritis worldwide...
- Streptomyces lunalinharesii sp. nov., a chitinolytic streptomycete isolated from cerrado soil in Brazil
Rodrigo Fonseca de Souza
Instituto de Microbiologia Prof Paulo de Goes, Universidade do Brasil, UFRJ, CCS, Bloco I, Ilha do Fundao, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 58:2774-8. 2008
..nov. is proposed. The type strain is RCQ1071(T) (=ATCC BAA-1231(T) =CIP 108852(T) =DSM 41876(T))...
- Prevalence of ICD-10 mental disorders in a catchment area in the city of São Paulo, Brazil
Instituto de Psiquiatria, Hospital das Clinicas, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Rua Dr Ovidio Pires de Campos, s n CEP 05403 010, Brazil
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 37:316-25. 2002
..disorders, their relationship with sociodemographic features, and the use of services were investigated in the population aged 18 years or older living in the catchment area of a large hospital complex in the city of São Paulo, Brazil.
- Staphylococcus hominis subsp. novobiosepticus strains causing nosocomial bloodstream infection in Brazil
Izabel Cristina Vanzato Palazzo
Faculdade de Medicina de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Av dos Bandeirantes 3900, Brazil
J Antimicrob Chemother 62:1222-6. 2008
..novobiosepticus (SHN) strains from hospitalized patients with bloodstream infections in two Brazilian hospitals and to characterize their susceptibility profile to several antimicrobials...