- Year-round West Nile virus activity, Gulf Coast region, Texas and Louisiana
Robert B Tesh
University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 10:1649-52. 2004
West Nile virus (WNV) was detected in 11 dead birds and two mosquito pools collected in east Texas and southern Louisiana during surveillance studies in the winter of 2003 to 2004...
- Texas lifestyle limits transmission of dengue virus
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 9:86-9. 2003
..In 1999 we investigated an outbreak of the disease that affected Nuevo Laredo, Tamaulipas, Mexico, and Laredo, Texas, United States, contiguous cities that straddle the international border...
- Spirochetemia caused by Borrelia turicatae infection in 3 dogs in Texas
Marlyn S Whitney
Texas Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory, Texas A and M University, Amarillo, TX, USA
Vet Clin Pathol 36:212-6. 2007
Spirochetemia was diagnosed in 2 Siberian Huskies and a Rottweiler from the northwestern region of Texas between June 1999 and October 2001. Clinical findings were nonspecific; tick exposure was documented in 2 of the dogs...
- Host feeding pattern of Culex quinquefasciatus (Diptera: Culicidae) and its role in transmission of West Nile virus in Harris County, Texas
The Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 77:73-81. 2007
The vertebrate hosts of 672 blood-engorged Culex quinquefasciatus Say, collected in Harris County, Texas, during 2005, were identified by nucleotide sequencing PCR products of the cytochrome b gene. Analysis revealed that 39...
- A comparison of seven traps used for collection of Aedes albopictus and Aedes aegypti originating from a large tire repository in Harris County (Houston), Texas
James A Dennett
Harris County Public Health and Environmental Services, Mosquito Control Division, Houston, TX 77021, USA
J Am Mosq Control Assoc 20:342-9. 2004
..albopictus and Ae. aegypti females as frequently as some commercial traps. Additionally, costs incurred per mosquito trapped, future trap design, and important consumer-centered issues are briefly discussed...
- Childhood lymphohematopoietic cancer incidence and hazardous air pollutants in southeast Texas, 1995-2004
Kristina W Whitworth
Division of Epidemiology and Disease Control, University of Texas School of Public Health, Houston, Texas, USA
Environ Health Perspect 116:1576-80. 2008
..Cancer is the second leading cause of death among U.S. children with few known risk factors. There is increasing interest in the role of air pollutants, including benzene and 1,3-butadiene, in the etiology of childhood cancers...
- Assessing the roles of temperature, precipitation, and ENSO in dengue re-emergence on the Texas-Mexico border region
Joan M Brunkard
Department of Environmental Studies, University of California, Santa Cruz, California, USA
Salud Publica Mex 50:227-34. 2008
..The goal of this study was to assess linkages between microclimate and longer-term ENSO-related weather forcing on the week-to-week changes in dengue prevalence in Matamoros, Tamaulipas, Mexico, over a recent decade of dengue observations...
- Urban-rural residence and the occurrence of cleft lip and cleft palate in Texas, 1999-2003
Lynne C Messer
Center for Health Policy, Duke Global Health Institute, Durham, NC 27705, USA
Ann Epidemiol 20:32-9. 2010
The etiology of orofacial clefts is complex and relatively unknown. Variation in cleft lip with or without palate (CLP) and cleft palate alone (CP) was examined in Texas across urban-rural residence (1999 to 2003).
- Large Salmonella Enteritidis outbreak with prolonged transmission attributed to an infected food handler, Texas, 2002
M E Beatty
Enteric Diseases Epidemiology Branch, Division of Foodborne, Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases, National Center for Zoonotic, Vectorborne and Enteric Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Epidemiol Infect 137:417-27. 2009
In March 2002, an outbreak of Salmonella Enteritidis (SE) infections occurred at a convention centre in Dallas, Texas and continued for 6 weeks...
- Staging dementia using Clinical Dementia Rating Scale Sum of Boxes scores: a Texas Alzheimer's research consortium study
Sid E O'Bryant
Department of Neuropsychiatry and Behavioral Science, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, 3601 4th St, STOP 8321, Lubbock, TX 79430, USA
Arch Neurol 65:1091-5. 2008
..The Clinical Dementia Rating Scale Sum of Boxes (CDR-SOB) score is commonly used, although the utility regarding this score in staging dementia severity is not well established...
- What is the best predictor of future type 2 diabetes?
Muhammad A Abdul-Ghani
Division of Diabetes, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas 78229, USA
Diabetes Care 30:1544-8. 2007
..We sought to assess insulin secretion/insulin resistance index in predicting the risk for future type 2 diabetes..
- Epidemic dengue and dengue hemorrhagic fever at the Texas-Mexico border: results of a household-based seroepidemiologic survey, December 2005
Mary M Ramos
Dengue Branch, Division of Vector Borne Infectious Disease, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, San Juan, Puerto Rico
Am J Trop Med Hyg 78:364-9. 2008
..Discarded waste tires and buckets were the two largest categories of infested containers found in both cities. Our results underscore the risk for epidemic dengue and DHF in the Texas-Mexico border region.
- Virulence analysis of Hessian fly populations from Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas
Ming Shun Chen
Plant Science and Entomology Research Unit, Grain Marketing and Production Research Center, USDA ARS, 1515 College Ave, Manhattan, KS 66506, USA
J Econ Entomol 102:774-80. 2009
..determine which resistance genes are still effective in this area, virulence of six Hessian fly populations from Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas was determined, using the resistance genes H3, H4, H5, H6, H7H8, H9, H10, H11, H12, H13, H16,..
- Implementation of Texas Senate Bill 19 to increase physical activity in elementary schools
Steven H Kelder
School of Public Health, University of Texas at Houston, Austin Regional Campus, Austin, TX 78701, USA
J Public Health Policy 30:S221-47. 2009
In 2001, the 77th Texas legislature passed Senate Bill 19 requiring students in publicly funded elementary schools to participate in physical activity and schools to implement a coordinated school health program by September 1, 2007...
- Change in dietary energy density after implementation of the Texas Public School Nutrition Policy
Jason A Mendoza
US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service Children s Nutrition Research Center, Academic General Pediatrics, Department of Pediatrics, and Dan L Duncan Cancer Center, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030 2600, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 110:434-40. 2010
..The study's objective was to assess the impact of the Texas Public School Nutrition Policy on children's energy density by using a pre- and post-policy evaluation...
- Correlates of medication knowledge and adherence: findings from the residency research network of South Texas
Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 78220, USA
Fam Med 37:712-8. 2005
..This analysis examined factors associated with medication knowledge and adherence in family medicine patients with chronic conditions...
- Health-related quality of life among Mexican Americans living in colonias at the Texas-Mexico border
Department of Social and Behavioral Health, School of Rural Public Health, South Texas Center, Texas A and M Health Science Center, 2101 S McColl Road, Room 134, McAllen, TX 78503, USA
Soc Sci Med 66:1760-71. 2008
..The study population is Mexican Americans in the Texas-Mexico border region living in colonias - unincorporated, impoverished settlements with substandard living ..
- The association of subjective social status and health in low-income Mexican-origin individuals in Texas
University of Texas, School of Public Health, Houston, TX, USA
Soc Sci Med 63:788-804. 2006
..The study population consists of Mexican-origin individuals living in low-income neighborhoods in Texas and grouped into acculturation categories based on nativity and use of the Spanish language...
- Perceptions of children's body sizes among mothers living on the Texas-Mexico border (La Frontera)
University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555 1029, USA
Public Health Nurs 23:488-95. 2006
..Photographs of children from the Berkeley Longitudinal Growth Study (on Centers for Disease Control and Prevention [CDC] Web site) were used to stimulate discussion with mothers about child sizes...
- Evidence for role of white-tailed deer (Artiodactyla: Cervidae) in epizootiology of cattle ticks and southern cattle ticks (Acari: Ixodidae) in reinfestations along the Texas/Mexico border in south Texas: a review and update
J M Pound
USDA ARS, Knipling Bushland U S Livestock Insect Research Laboratory, 2700 Fredericksburg Rd, Kerrville, TX 78028, USA
J Econ Entomol 103:211-8. 2010
..After numerous deer in several counties were killed, eradication was achieved in Florida. As in Florida, in Texas increasing numbers of failures of the pasture vacation approach to tick eradication from the 1970s to the present ..
- Relation between baseline and on-treatment lipid parameters and first acute major coronary events in the Air Force/Texas Coronary Atherosclerosis Prevention Study (AFCAPS/TexCAPS)
A M Gotto
Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY 10021, USA
Circulation 101:477-84. 2000
The Air Force/Texas Coronary Atherosclerosis Prevention Study (AFCAPS/TexCAPS) is the first primary-prevention study in a cohort with average total cholesterol (TC) and LDL cholesterol (LDL-C) and below-average HDL cholesterol (HDL-C)...
- Pesticide/environmental exposures and Parkinson's disease in East Texas
Amanpreet S Dhillon
Department of Occupational Health Sciences, University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler, Tyler, Texas 75708, USA
J Agromedicine 13:37-48. 2008
..pesticides such as rotenone, and other occupational and environmental exposures on the risk of PD in an East Texas population...
- Genetic polymorphisms of methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) and methionine synthase reductase (MTRR) in ethnic populations in Texas; a report of a novel MTHFR polymorphic site, G1793A
Peter L Rady
Department of Pediatrics, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555 0359, USA
Am J Med Genet 107:162-8. 2002
..samples obtained from the blood of healthy individuals of African-Americans, Hispanics, and Caucasians from south Texas were analyzed and compared to those obtained from Ashkenazi Jewish individuals...
- Correlates of susceptibility to smoking among Mexican origin youth residing in Houston, Texas: a cross-sectional analysis
Anna V Wilkinson
Department of Epidemiology, Unit 1340, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, PO Box 301439, Houston, TX 77230 1439, USA
BMC Public Health 8:337. 2008
Survey data suggest that in Texas Latino youth exhibit higher rates of susceptibility to smoking than youth from other ethnic groups...
- When are phylogenetic analyses misled by convergence? A case study in Texas cave salamanders
John J Wiens
Department of Ecology and Evolution, State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, New York 11794 5245, USA
Syst Biol 52:501-14. 2003
..We then apply these criteria in a study of central Texas cave salamanders (genus Eurycea)...
- Flea-borne rickettsioses: ecologic considerations
A F Azad
Department of Microbiology and Immunobiology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 3:319-27. 1997
..The changing ecology of murine typhus in southern California and Texas over the past 30 years is a good example of urban and suburban expansion affecting infectious disease outbreaks...
- Insulin secretion and action in subjects with impaired fasting glucose and impaired glucose tolerance: results from the Veterans Administration Genetic Epidemiology Study
Muhammad A Abdul-Ghani
Diabetes Division, University of Texas Health Science Center, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Diabetes 55:1430-5. 2006
..Differences in insulin sensitivity and insulin secretion may predict different rates of progression to type 2 diabetes and varying susceptibility to cardiovascular disease...
- Improvements in middle school student dietary intake after implementation of the Texas Public School Nutrition Policy
Karen Weber Cullen
Children s Nutrition Research Center, Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, 1100 Bates Street, Houston, TX 77030 2600, USA
Am J Public Health 98:111-7. 2008
We assessed the effect of the Texas Public School Nutrition Policy on middle school student lunchtime food consumption.
- Predictors of breast and cervical screening in Vietnamese women in Harris County, Houston, Texas
Department of Medicine, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Cancer Nurs 28:119-29; quiz 130-1. 2005
The Vietnamese are a quickly growing, important part of the Texas population. Breast cancer is known to have different biologic characteristics in Vietnamese women...
- Neurologic complications associated with influenza A in children during the 2003-2004 influenza season in Houston, Texas
Stephen M Maricich
Section of Neurology, Department of Pediatrics, Texas Children s Hospital, Houston, Texas, USA
Pediatrics 114:e626-33. 2004
..patients who presented with neurologic symptoms associated with influenza A infection and were hospitalized at Texas Children's Hospital during October and November 2003 and (2) to raise awareness of the neurologic complications of ..
- Fruits, vegetables, milk, and sweetened beverages consumption and access to à la carte/snack bar meals at school
Karen Weber Cullen
Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
Am J Public Health 94:463-7. 2004
..We assessed the impact of access to school snack bars on middle school students' fruit, vegetable, milk, and sweetened beverage consumption...
- Health-related quality of life in a binational population with diabetes at the Texas-Mexico border
South Texas Center, School of Rural Public Health, Texas A and M Health Science Center, McAllen, Texas, United States of America
Rev Panam Salud Publica 23:154-63. 2008
..and mental health domains of health-related quality of life (HRQL) in a binational adult population with type 2 diabetes at the Texas-Mexico border, and to explore individual and social correlates to physical and mental health status.
- High-resolution predictive mapping for Boophilus annulatus and B. microplus (Acari: Ixodidae) in Mexico and Southern Texas
Department of Parasitology, Veterinary Faculty, Miguel Servet 177, 50013 Zaragoza, Spain
Vet Parasitol 142:350-8. 2006
..microplus over an area covering parts of Texas and northeastern Mexico. The habitat for these tick species covers widely different regions. B...
- Examining localized patterns of air quality perception in Texas: a spatial and statistical analysis
Samuel D Brody
Environmental Planning and Sustainability Research Laboratory, Hazard Reduction and Recovery Center, Department of Landscape Architecture and Urban Planning, Texas A and M University, College Station, TX 77843 3137, USA
Risk Anal 24:1561-74. 2004
..We discuss the implications of the findings and provide direction on how further research can provide a deeper understanding of the local contextual factors influencing public perceptions...
- Characterization of a West Nile virus isolate from a human on the Gulf Coast of Texas
Bruno P Granwehr
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555 0609, USA
J Clin Microbiol 42:5375-7. 2004
Genetic characterization of a human cerebrospinal fluid West Nile virus isolate from Beaumont, Texas, revealed several nucleotide changes and amino acid substitutions that differentiated it from all other North American strains isolated ..
- Emergence of a predominant clone of community-acquired Staphylococcus aureus among children in Houston, Texas
Ana M Avalos Mishaan
Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 24:201-6. 2005
..At Texas Children's Hospital (TCH), surveillance has been in place since August 2001...
- Preventive dentistry in Texas, USA
Center for Health Administration Studies, University of Chicago, Illinois 60637
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 18:239-43. 1990
This paper presents the results of a 1985 survey of 1000 Texas dentists regarding three major types of preventive measures--educational services, preventive procedures, and diagnostic services...
- Analysis of behavioral risk factor surveillance system data to assess the health of Hispanic Americans with diabetes in El Paso County, Texas
Nelda C Martinez
School of Nursing, University of Texas at El Paso, 1101 North Campbell Street, El Paso, TX 79902 0581, USA
Diabetes Educ 33:691-9. 2007
The purpose of this study is to determine and describe the health of Hispanic Americans who live in El Paso County, Texas, along the US-Mexico border, particularly the multidimensional self-management practices of those with diabetes...
- Cryptosporidium muris in a Texas canine population
Philip J Lupo
Center for Infectious Disease, The University of Texas School of Public Health, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 78:917-21. 2008
..To our knowledge, this is the first report of a naturally occurring C. muris infection in a canine host. The finding of C. muris in asymptomatic canines supports the notion of dogs as potential sources of human infection...
- Sapling growth and survivorship as affected by light and flooding in a river floodplain forest of southeast Texas
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Rice University, 6100 Main Street, Houston, TX 77251 1892, USA
Oecologia 139:399-407. 2004
..the effects of light and flooding on growth and survivorship of saplings in a river floodplain forest of southeast Texas. Growth responses to light were consistent with the expectation that shade-intolerant species grow faster than ..
- Associations between two mosquito populations and West Nile virus in Harris County, Texas, 2003-06
James A Dennett
Harris County Public Health and Environmental Services, Mosquito Control Division, 3330 Old Spanish Trail, Building D, Houston, TX 77021, USA
J Am Mosq Control Assoc 23:264-75. 2007
..quinquefasciatus, Aedes albopictus and West Nile virus (WNV) activity, temperature, and rainfall in Harris County, Texas 2003-06 are discussed. Human cases were highly correlated to Cx. quinquefasciatus (r = 0.87) and Ae...
- Neighborhood socioeconomic deprivation and minority composition are associated with better potential spatial access to the ground-truthed food environment in a large rural area
Joseph R Sharkey
Department of Social and Behavioral Health, School of Rural Public Health, Texas A and M Health Science Center, College Station, TX 77843 1266, USA
J Nutr 138:620-7. 2008
..In this study, we assessed the food environment in a 6-county rural region of Texas (11,567 km2) through ground-truthed methods that included direct observation and on-site Global Positioning System ..
- The Texas Medication Algorithm Project antipsychotic algorithm for schizophrenia: 2006 update
Troy A Moore
Department of Psychiatry, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 68:1751-62. 2007
A panel of academic psychiatrists and pharmacists, clinicians from the Texas public mental health system, advocates, and consumers met in June 2006 in Dallas, Tex...
- Urban versus rural residence and occurrence of septal heart defects in Texas
Peter H Langlois
Birth Defects Epidemiology and Surveillance Branch, Texas Department of State Health Services, Austin, Texas 78714 9347, USA
Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 85:764-72. 2009
..Few studies have compared multiple measures of urban/rural residence...
- Outcome and patterns of recurrence of nonbilharzial pure squamous cell carcinoma of the bladder: a contemporary review of The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center experience
Division of Urology, McGill University Health Center, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Cancer 110:764-9. 2007
..Nonbilharzial squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) of the bladder is a rare entity in the Western hemisphere. To further understanding of its natural history, a contemporary experience with management and outcome of this disease was reviewed...
- Epidemiology of rabies in skunks in Texas
Ernest H Oertli
Texas Department of State Health Services, Zoonosis Control Branch, Austin, TX 78714 9347, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 234:616-20. 2009
To obtain epidemiologic information on rabies in skunks in Texas.
- Effects of nativity, age at migration, and acculturation on smoking among adult Houston residents of Mexican descent
Anna V Wilkinson
Department of Epidemiology, Unit 1340, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, PO Box 301439, Houston, TX 77230 1439, USA
Am J Public Health 95:1043-9. 2005
..We investigated differences in smoking behaviors between US-and Mexican-born ever smokers and examined the influence of US culture on smoking initiation...
- Environmental risk factors for equine West Nile virus disease cases in Texas
Michael P Ward
Department of Veterinary Integrative Biosciences, Texas A and M University, College Station, TX 77843 4458, USA
Vet Res Commun 33:461-71. 2009
West Nile Virus (WNV) was first detected in the Texas equine population during June 2002. Infection has since spread rapidly across the state and become endemic in the equine population...
- Puerto Rico fall armyworm has only limited interactions with those from Brazil or Texas but could have substantial exchanges with Florida populations
Rodney N Nagoshi
Center for Medical, Agricultural and Veterinary Entomology, USDA ARS, Gainesville, FL 32604, USA
J Econ Entomol 103:360-7. 2010
..The results indicate limited interactions between Puerto Rico fall armyworm and those from Brazil or Texas but the potential for significant exchanges with populations in Florida.
- Incorporating PDA use in diabetes self-care: a central Texas Primary Care Research Network (CenTexNet) study
Samuel N Forjuoh
Department of Family and Community Medicine, Scott and White Santa Fe Century Square, 1402 West Avenue H, Temple, TX 76504, USA
J Am Board Fam Med 20:375-84. 2007
..We investigated the feasibility of incorporating the use of the personal digital assistant (PDA) in diabetes self-care in primary care...
- Dengue fever seroprevalence and risk factors, Texas-Mexico border, 2004
Joan Marie Brunkard
University of California, Santa Cruz, California, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 13:1477-83. 2007
Reported autochthonous dengue fever transmission in the United States has been limited to 5 south Texas border counties since 1980...
- Survival of Texas infants born with trisomies 21, 18, and 13
Kaiser Permanente, San Jose Medical Center, San Jose, California, USA
Am J Med Genet A 152:360-6. 2010
..All cases of trisomies 21, 18, and 13 born in Texas between 1999 and 2003 were obtained from the Texas Birth Defects Registry and included 2,260 cases of trisomy 21, ..
- Emergency room use and access to primary care: evidence from Houston, Texas
Charles E Begley
Division of Management, Policy and Community Health, School of Public Health, University of Texas Houston, TX 77225, USA
J Health Care Poor Underserved 17:610-24. 2006
..We obtained ED visit data from safety net hospitals in Houston, Texas and applied the New York University ED Algorithm to estimate the rate of visits that were primary care-related...
- Assessment of chronic lymphocytic leukemia and small lymphocytic lymphoma by absolute lymphocyte counts in 2,126 patients: 20 years of experience at the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
Apostolia M Tsimberidou
Department of Leukemia, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Clin Oncol 25:4648-56. 2007
..We assessed whether characteristics of patients with CLL and SLL differ in ways other than the absolute lymphocyte count (ALC) and evaluated treatment outcomes and prognostic factors...
- The thyroid gland in bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) from the Texas coast of the Gulf of Mexico: normal structure and pathological changes
D F Cowan
Department of Pathology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555 0555, USA
J Comp Pathol 135:217-25. 2006
Fresh thyroid glands (n=60) from Atlantic bottlenose dolphins that died after stranding along the Texas coast between 1991 and 2005 were examined...
- Neighborhood economic conditions, social processes, and self-rated health in low-income neighborhoods in Texas: a multilevel latent variables model
University of Texas, School of Public Health, 1200 Herman Pressler Drive, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Soc Sci Med 61:1135-50. 2005
..The results, based on data from low-income neighborhoods in Texas, USA generally supported the model and indicated that the effect of neighborhood impoverishment on health is ..
- Self-rated health and trust in low-income Mexican-origin individuals in Texas
Department of Management, University of Texas, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Soc Sci Med 67:1959-69. 2008
..predictors of trust in Mexican-Americans living in low-income neighborhoods (defined as census block groups) in Texas. Detailed survey data on 1754 Mexican-origin respondents provided information on self-rated health and individual ..
- Patients who leave our emergency department without being seen: the Texas Children's Hospital experience
Rana N Kronfol
Department of Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Pediatr Emerg Care 22:550-4. 2006
..We sought to describe the clinical characteristics of patients leaving the Texas Children's Hospital (TCH) ED without being seen during 1...
- Mechanisms of carbapenem resistance among a collection of Enterobacteriaceae clinical isolates in a Texas city
Jason W Bennett
Department of Medicine, San Antonio Military Medical Center, Fort Sam Houston, Texas 78234, USA
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 66:445-8. 2010
..One Enterobacter cloacae produced derepressed AmpC beta-lactamase, 1 Escherichia coli expressed plasmid-mediated AmpC beta-lactamase, and 1 E. cloacae produced a carbapenemase...
- Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus: carriage rates and characterization of students in a Texas university
Rodney E Rohde
Clinical Laboratory Science, Texas State University San Marcos, San Marcos, TX 78666 4616, USA
Clin Lab Sci 22:176-84. 2009
..To evaluate the carriage rates of Staphylococcus aureus and methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in a university student population and describe risk factors associated with the carriage of each...
- Human papillomavirus vaccine recommendations and agreement with mandated human papillomavirus vaccination for 11-to-12-year-old girls: a statewide survey of Texas physicians
Jessica A Kahn
Division of Adolescent Medicine, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH 45229, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 18:2325-32. 2009
The purpose of this study was to examine Texas physicians' recommendations for the quadrivalent human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine in 11-to-12-year-old girls, intention to recommend HPV vaccines to 11-to-12-year-old boys, and attitudes ..
- Catarina virus, an arenaviral species principally associated with Neotoma micropus (southern plains woodrat) in Texas
Maria N B Cajimat
Department of Pathology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555 0609, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 77:732-6. 2007
..of an arenavirus principally associated with the southern plains woodrat (Neotoma micropus) in southern Texas to other New World arenaviruses...
- Community readiness to prevent intimate partner violence in Bexar County, Texas
Department of Chronic Nursing Care, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio School of Nursing, USA
J Transcult Nurs 14:227-36. 2003
..is to describe the Community Readiness Model implemented by the San Antonio Safe Family Coalition in Bexar County, Texas, a coordinated community response to prevent intimate partner violence...
- Prevalence of nonsyndromic oral clefts in Texas: 1995-1999
Syed Shahrukh Hashmi
University of Texas Health Sciences Center, Houston School of Public Health, Houston, Texas, USA
Am J Med Genet A 134:368-72. 2005
..We undertook a descriptive study of oral clefts in Texas, focusing on the effect of folic acid fortification and Hispanic ethnicity on the prevalence of oral clefts as ..
- Cross-border purchase of medications and health care in a sample of residents of El Paso, Texas, and Ciudad Juarez, Mexico
Jose O Rivera
University of Texas at El Paso CHS, El Paso, Texas, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 101:167-73. 2009
We examined data from a US-Mexico bi-national survey conducted among adult residents of El Paso, Texas, and Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, to assess frequency of purchase of medications and use of health care services across the border.
- The Texas Children's Medication Algorithm Project: revision of the algorithm for pharmacotherapy of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder
Steven R Pliszka
Department of Psychiatry, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 78229 3900, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 45:642-57. 2006
In 1998, the Texas Department of Mental Health and Mental Retardation developed algorithms for medication treatment of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)...
- Texas Children's Medication Algorithm Project: update from Texas Consensus Conference Panel on Medication Treatment of Childhood Major Depressive Disorder
Carroll W Hughes
Department of Psychiatry, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 8589, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 46:667-86. 2007
..To revise and update consensus guidelines for medication treatment algorithms for childhood major depressive disorder based on new scientific evidence and expert clinical consensus when evidence is lacking...
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection in the Texas prison system
Department of Pediatrics, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, Texas 78284 7802, USA
Clin Infect Dis 38:e92-5. 2004
..The present study of 299,179 Texas inmates who were incarcerated between 1999-2001 indicated an incidence of 12 MRSA infections/1000 person-years...
- The societal cost of tuberculosis: Tarrant County, Texas, 2002
Thaddeus L Miller
School of Public Health, University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth, Ft Worth, TX 76107, USA
Ann Epidemiol 20:1-7. 2010
..Unmeasured TB costs lead to underestimates of the benefit of prevention and create conditions that could result in a resurgence of TB. We gathered data from Tarrant County, Texas, for 2002, to estimate the societal cost due to TB.
- Companion animal knowledge, attachment and pet cat care and their associations with household demographics for residents of a rural Texas town
Melanie E Ramón
Department of Veterinary Integrative Biosciences, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Texas A and M University, College Station, TX 77843 4458, USA
Prev Vet Med 94:251-63. 2010
..telephone survey explored companion animal attachment and knowledge as well as cat care of residents in a small Texas town. The survey included 441 residents of randomly selected households (55% response rate)...
- Antipsychotic medication utilization trends among Texas veterans: 1997-2002
QualityMetric Health Outcomes Solutions, Lincoln, RI 02865, USA
Ann Pharmacother 42:1229-38. 2008
..An antipsychotic utilization pattern has evolved substantially over the past 20 years or so due to the introduction of the second-generation antipsychotics (SGAs) and the increasing understanding of their adverse effect profile...
- Emergency department diversion and trauma mortality: evidence from houston, Texas
Charles E Begley
School of Public Health, University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, Texas, USA
J Trauma 57:1260-5. 2004
..This study examined the relation between trauma death rates and hospital diversion in the Houston emergency medical service area...
- Patient adherence and reimbursement amount for antidiabetic fixed-dose combination products compared with dual therapy among Texas Medicaid recipients
Pharmacy Administration Department, College of Pharmacy, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas 78712 0127, USA
Clin Ther 30:1893-907. 2008
..Little is known about the potential for improved adherence with and cost savings of fixed-dose combination therapy (FDCT) products compared with analogous dual therapy for type 2 diabetes mellitus...
- Borrelia, Ehrlichia, and Rickettsia spp. in ticks removed from persons, Texas, USA
Phillip C Williamson
University of North Texas Health Science Center, Fort Worth, Texas 76107 2699, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 16:441-6. 2010
..and identity of pathogens and bacterial agents in ticks removed from humans and subsequently submitted to the Texas Department of State Health Services, Zoonosis Control Program, from October 1, 2004, through September 30, 2008...
- Relative susceptibilties of South Texas mosquitoes to infection with West Nile virus
Dana L Vanlandingham
Department of Pathology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555 0609, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 77:925-8. 2007
Three species of mosquitoes (Culex pipiens quinquefasciatus, Aedes aegypti, and Ae. albopictus) collected in Texas were compared with respect to their relative susceptibility to infection with West Nile virus (WNV) strain 114...
- Maternal serum B12 levels and risk for neural tube defects in a Texas-Mexico border population
Texas Department of Health, Austin 78756, USA
Ann Epidemiol 13:81-8. 2003
..We determined the effect of maternal serum B(12) levels, measured postpartum, on the risk of NTDs among a high risk Mexican American population...
- Access to health care among Latinos of Mexican descent in colonias in two Texas counties
University of Maryland School of Social Work, 20201, USA
J Rural Health 20:246-52. 2004
..Findings reaffirm the importance of looking within ethnic subpopulations to understand the complexities of health disparities...
- Comparing denitrification estimates for a Texas estuary by using acetylene inhibition and membrane inlet mass spectrometry
Melody J Bernot
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana 46556, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 69:5950-6. 2003
..The C2H2 inhibition method with chloramphenicol addition, conducted over short incubation intervals, provides a cost-effective method for estimating denitrification, and rate estimates are comparable to those obtained by the MIMS method...
- Detection of Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis in endemic salamander species from central Texas
James P Gaertner
Department of Biology, Texas State University, San Marcos, TX 78666, USA
Ecohealth 6:20-6. 2009
A nested PCR protocol was used to analyze five endemic salamander species from Central Texas for the presence of the emerging pathogen, chytrid fungus (Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis)...
- Factors associated with hypertension awareness, treatment, and control in Dallas County, Texas
Ronald G Victor
Division of Hypertension, Department of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Room J4 134, 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Arch Intern Med 168:1285-93. 2008
..Hypertension (HTN) control rates in the United States remain lower in black than white persons, particularly before 65 years of age. Potential sociocultural factors have not been sufficiently addressed...
- Genome scan of hybridizing sunflowers from Texas (Helianthus annuus and H. debilis) reveals asymmetric patterns of introgression and small islands of genomic differentiation
Department of Botany, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Mol Ecol 19:521-41. 2010
..annuus; a near-endemic to Texas, Helianthus debilis ssp...
- An evaluation of surrogate chemical exposure measures and autism prevalence in Texas
T A Lewandowski
Brooklyn College The City University of New York, Brooklyn, New York 11210, USA
J Toxicol Environ Health A 72:1592-603. 2009
..epa.gov/tri) data for Hg and 2000-2001 school district autism prevalence was previously reported in Texas. Evaluations using industrial release data as surrogate exposure measures may be problematic, particularly for ..
- Murine typhus in Austin, Texas, USA, 2008
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 16:412-7. 2010
In August 2008, Texas authorities and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention investigated reports of increased numbers of febrile rash illnesses in Austin to confirm the causative agent as Rickettsia typhi, to assess the outbreak ..
- Chagas disease in Texas: recognizing the significance and implications of evidence in the literature
Elaine Jennifer Hanford
Department of Geography, Texas Center for Geographic Information Science, Texas State University, Texas, San Marcos, TX 78666, USA
Soc Sci Med 65:60-79. 2007
..Despite the parallels between socio-economic and environmental conditions in Texas and much of Latin America, Chagas disease is not a notifiable human disease in Texas...
- Effect of lovastatin on primary prevention of cardiovascular events in mild CKD and kidney function loss: a post hoc analysis of the Air Force/Texas Coronary Atherosclerosis Prevention Study
Division of Renal Diseases and Hypertension, University of Colorado Denver Health Sciences Center, Aurora, CO 80220, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 55:42-9. 2010
- A population perspective on diabetes prevention: whom should we target for preventing weight gain?
James P Burke
Department of Health Sciences Research, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Diabetes Care 26:1999-2004. 2003
..To examine the influence of obesity and prevention of weight gain on the incidence of type 2 diabetes...
- National Cholesterol Education Program versus World Health Organization metabolic syndrome in relation to all-cause and cardiovascular mortality in the San Antonio Heart Study
Kelly J Hunt
Department of Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 78229 3900, USA
Circulation 110:1251-7. 2004
- The impact of the Texas public school nutrition policy on student food selection and sales in Texas
Karen W Cullen
United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Children s Nutrition Research Center, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030 2600, USA
Am J Public Health 99:706-12. 2009
We assessed the statewide impact of the 2004 Texas Public School Nutrition Policy on foods and beverages served or sold in schools.
- Dietary intakes at child-care centers in central Texas fail to meet Food Guide Pyramid recommendations
Nutritional Sciences, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 105:790-3. 2005
..records were obtained for 50 children ages 3 to 5 years old who attended nine child-care centers in central Texas. Dietary intakes during child care were measured by a researcher, and dietary intakes at home were recorded by a ..
- Host plants of the tarnished plant bug (Heteroptera: Miridae) in Central Texas
J F Esquivel
USDA ARS, Areawide Pest Management Research Unit, 2771 F and B Road, College Station, TX 77845, USA
Environ Entomol 36:725-30. 2007
..Because the Southern Blacklands region of Central Texas is in advanced stages of boll weevil eradication, blooming weeds and selected row crops were sampled during a 3-yr ..
- Detection of Babesia bigemina infection in strains of Rhipicephalus (Boophilus) microplus collected from outbreaks in south Texas
F D Guerrero
USDA ARS Knipling Bushland, US Livestock Insects Research Laboratory, Kerrville, TX 78028, USA
Vet Parasitol 145:156-63. 2007
..We detected the presence of B. bigemina in all strains of R. microplus currently reared at the laboratory and 4 of 26 strains collected from infestation outbreaks in Texas by the U.S. Cattle Fever Tick Eradication Program.
- A stem batrachian from the Early Permian of Texas and the origin of frogs and salamanders
Jason S Anderson
Department of Comparative Biology and Experimental Medicine, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Calgary, 3330 Hospital Drive, Calgary, Alberta T2N 4N1, Canada
Nature 453:515-8. 2008
..Here we report the discovery of an amphibamid temnospondyl from the Early Permian of Texas that bridges the gap between other Palaeozoic amphibians and the earliest known salientians and caudatans from the ..
- Discrepant attitudes about teamwork among critical care nurses and physicians
Eric J Thomas
University of Texas Houston Medical School, Department of Medicine, Division of General Internal Medicine, USA
Crit Care Med 31:956-9. 2003
..To measure and compare critical care physicians' and nurses' attitudes about teamwork...
- Availability of healthier options in traditional and nontraditional rural fast-food outlets
Jennifer S Creel
Texas Healthy Aging Research Network, School of Rural Public Health, Texas A and M Health Science Center, College Station, TX, USA
BMC Public Health 8:395. 2008
..In rural areas, these nontraditional fast-food outlets may provide most of the opportunities for procurement of fast foods...
- Micropapillary bladder cancer: a review of the University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center experience with 100 consecutive patients
Ashish M Kamat
Department of Urology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer 110:62-7. 2007
..Micropapillary bladder carcinoma is a rare variant of urothelial carcinoma. To improve understanding of this disease, the authors performed a retrospective review of their experience...
- Environmental health training of promotoras in colonias along the Texas-Mexico border
I N Ramos
Center for Environmental and Rural Health, Texas A and M University, 4455 TAMU, College Station, TX 77843 4455, USA
Am J Public Health 91:568-70. 2001
..Along the American side of the Texas-Mexico border alone, there are approximately 1800 colonias--the largest number of any border state--most of which ..
- Environmental investigations of Vibrio parahaemolyticus in oysters after outbreaks in Washington, Texas, and New York (1997 and 1998)
Gulf Coast Seafood Laboratory, Food and Drug Administration, Dauphin Island, Alabama 36528, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 66:4649-54. 2000
..densities and the occurrence of pathogenic strains in shellfish were determined following outbreaks in Washington, Texas, and New York...
- Spatial analysis of volatile organic compounds from a community-based air toxics monitoring network in Deer Park, Texas, USA
Luther A Smith
Alion Science and Technology, Inc, POB 12313, Research Triangle Park, Durham, NC 27709, USA
Environ Monit Assess 128:369-79. 2007
..concentrations of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) were measured at 12 sites within a 3-km radius in Deer Park, Texas near Houston...
- Racial differences in diabetes self-management and quality of care in Texas
Department of Medicine, University of Texas Health Center at Tyler, TX, USA
J Diabetes Complications 23:112-8. 2009
To assess racial/ethnic differences in diabetes self-management behaviors and quality of care in Texas.
- Characterizing children's asthma hospitalizations on the Texas-Mexico border
University of Texas at El Paso, El Paso, Texas 79968, USA
J Asthma 44:783-7. 2007
The objective of this paper is to study patterns in children's asthma hospitalizations along the Texas-Mexico border. Data for analysis were obtained from the State of Texas and the US Bureau of the Census...
- Urban-rural residence and the occurrence of neural tube defects in Texas, 1999-2003
T J Luben
US Environmental Protection Agency, NC 27711, USA
Health Place 15:848-54. 2009
..and magnitude of urban-rural variation in anencephaly, spina bifida without anencephaly, and encephalocele in Texas in relation with urban-rural residence for the period 1999-2003...