- Incidence and types of adverse events and negligent care in Utah and Colorado
E J Thomas
Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Med Care 38:261-71. 2000
..The generalizability of these findings is unknown and has been questioned by other studies...
- Antibiotic resistance genes as emerging contaminants: studies in northern Colorado
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523, USA
Environ Sci Technol 40:7445-50. 2006
..purpose of this study was to investigate the occurrence of ARGs in various environmental compartments in northern Colorado, including Cache La Poudre (Poudre) River sediments, irrigation ditches, dairy lagoons, and the effluents of ..
- Increasing prevalence of gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) over time and by birth cohort: Kaiser Permanente of Colorado GDM Screening Program
Department of Preventive Medicine and Biometrics, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO, USA
Diabetes Care 28:579-84. 2005
..Given that the number of people with diabetes worldwide is expected to increase at record levels through 2030, we examined temporal trends in GDM among diverse ethnic groups...
- Seasonal blood-feeding behavior of Culex tarsalis (Diptera: Culicidae) in Weld County, Colorado, 2007
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Division of Vector Borne Infectious Diseases, Arbovirus Diseases Branch, 3150 Rampart Rd, Fort Collins, CO 80521, USA
J Med Entomol 46:380-90. 2009
Studies on Culex tarsalis Coquillett in Colorado have shown marked seasonal variation in the proportion of blood meals from birds and mammals...
- West Nile virus disease: a descriptive study of 228 patients hospitalized in a 4-county region of Colorado in 2003
Amy V Bode
Division of Vector Borne Infectious Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Clin Infect Dis 42:1234-40. 2006
..Risk factors for complications of West Nile virus disease and prognosis in hospitalized patients are incompletely understood...
- Detection of four human coronaviruses in respiratory infections in children: a one-year study in Colorado
Samuel R Dominguez
Department of Pediatrics, The Children s Hospital, University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
J Med Virol 81:1597-604. 2009
..4% of total samples submitted), of both upper and lower respiratory tract illnesses in children in Colorado. Our data raise the possibility that HCoV may play a role in gastrointestinal and CNS disease...
- Net global warming potential and greenhouse gas intensity in irrigated cropping systems in northeastern Colorado
Arvin R Mosier
Agricultural and Biological Engineering Department, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
J Environ Qual 35:1584-98. 2006
..The results suggest that economic viability and environmental conservation can be achieved by minimizing tillage and utilizing appropriate levels of fertilizer...
- Mosquito species richness, composition, and abundance along habitat-climate-elevation gradients in the northern Colorado Front Range
Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Pathology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA
J Med Entomol 45:800-11. 2008
..m) ranging from plains to montane areas along the Poudre River and Big Thompson River in the northern Colorado Front Range to determine how mosquito species richness, composition, and abundance change along natural habitat-..
- Increasing incidence of type 1 diabetes in 0- to 17-year-old Colorado youth
University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, Colorado, USA
Diabetes Care 30:503-9. 2007
..the long-term trends in the incidence of type 1 diabetes among non-Hispanic white and Hispanic youth aged 0-17 years from Colorado using data from the Colorado IDDM Study Registry (1978-1988) and SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth (2002-2004).
- Radon exposure and mortality among white and American Indian uranium miners: an update of the Colorado Plateau cohort
Mary K Schubauer-Berigan
National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Cincinnati, OH 45226, USA
Am J Epidemiol 169:718-30. 2009
Studies of uranium miners on the US Colorado Plateau have identified associations between exposure to radon progeny and risk of lung cancer...
- The Colorado thyroid disease prevalence study
G J Canaris
Department of Medicine, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha 68198 3331, USA
Arch Intern Med 160:526-34. 2000
..Systemic effects of abnormal thyroid function have not been fully delineated, particularly in cases of mild thyroid failure. Also, the relationship between traditional hypothyroid symptoms and biochemical thyroid function is unclear...
- The Colorado newborn hearing screening project, 1992-1999: on the threshold of effective population-based universal newborn hearing screening
Albert L Mehl
Colorado Infant Hearing Advisory Committee, Clinical Faculty, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado, USA
Pediatrics 109:E7. 2002
- Burnout and internal medicine resident work-hour restrictions
Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Colorado Health Science Center, Aurora, CO, USA
Arch Intern Med 165:2595-600. 2005
..We evaluated rates of burnout in internal medicine residents before and after the implementation of the new work-hour restriction...
- Admixture in the Hispanics of the San Luis Valley, Colorado, and its implications for complex trait gene mapping
National Human Genome Center, Howard University, Washington, DC 20060, USA
Ann Hum Genet 68:139-53. 2004
..In this paper we focus on a particular Hispanic population living in the San Luis Valley (SLV) in Southern Colorado. We used a set of 22 Ancestry Informative Markers (AIMs) to describe the admixture process and dynamics in this ..
- Melanocytic nevi and sun exposure in a cohort of colorado children: anatomic distribution and site-specific sunburn
Athena T Dodd
Department of Preventive Medicine, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, 4200 East Ninth Avenue, Campus Box B119, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 16:2136-43. 2007
..and history of site-specific sunburns) and the presence of melanocytic nevi on 743 White children in Denver, Colorado. Parental reports of site-specific sunburns were collected annually for 2 years starting at ages 5 to 6 years...
- Integrating viral hepatitis prevention services into an urban STD clinic: Denver, Colorado
Denver Public Health, Virology Clinic, STD Clinic, Denver, CO, USA
Public Health Rep 122:12-7. 2007
..Viral hepatitis prevention services can be incorporated into a busy STD clinic if staff and resources are available. Rapid HIV testing may be associated with lower receipt of anti-HCV test results...
- Entomological studies along the Colorado Front Range during a period of intense West Nile virus activity
B G Bolling
Arthropod Borne and Infectious Diseases Laboratory, Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Pathology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523 1692, USA
J Am Mosq Control Assoc 23:37-46. 2007
To better understand the ecology of West Nile virus transmission in Northern Colorado, field studies were conducted in Larimer and Weld counties from September 2003 through March 2005...
- A culture-independent study of free-living fungi in biological soil crusts of the Colorado Plateau: their diversity and relative contribution to microbial biomass
Scott T Bates
School of Life Sciences, Arizona State University, Main Campus, Tempe, AZ 85287, USA
Environ Microbiol 11:56-67. 2009
..free-living fungal communities associated with biological soil crusts (BSCs), along km-scale transects on the Colorado Plateau (USA)...
- Cloning and sequence analysis of cDNA encoding a putative juvenile hormone esterase from the Colorado potato beetle
A M Vermunt
Department of Entomology, Wageningen Agricultural University, The Netherlands
Insect Biochem Mol Biol 27:919-28. 1997
In the Colorado potato beetle, Leptinotarsa decemlineata, reproduction and diapause are mediated by the juvenile hormone (JH) titer in the hemolymph. This titer is controlled by JH synthesis in the corpora allata and by JH degradation...
- Applications of the Colorado Visible Human Project in gastroenterology
John C Deutsch
SMDC Health System, Duluth, MN, USA
Clin Anat 19:254-7. 2006
Several applications of the University of Colorado Visible Human project have recently been developed in clinical gastroenterology, including a textbook of endoscopic ultrasound anatomy, an internet-based journal, articles on internet web-..
- Outbreak of Q fever associated with a horse-boarding ranch, Colorado, 2005
Wendy M Bamberg
Epidemic Intelligence Service, Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 7:394-402. 2007
..This is the first time an IS1111 PCR assay has been used in an outbreak investigation in the United States...
- Trends in high-risk HLA susceptibility genes among Colorado youth with type 1 diabetes
University of Colorado Denver, School of Medicine, Denver, Colorado, USA
Diabetes Care 31:1392-6. 2008
..temporal trends in the distribution of HLA-DR, DQ genotypes would be evident, and perhaps even stronger, among 5- to 17-year-old Hispanic and non-Hispanic white (NHW) youth diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in Colorado between 1978 and 2004.
- Seasonal patterns for entomological measures of risk for exposure to Culex vectors and West Nile virus in relation to human disease cases in northeastern Colorado
Bethany G Bolling
Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Pathology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA
J Med Entomol 46:1519-31. 2009
..Flaviviridae, genus Flavivirus, WNV) in relation to human WNV disease cases in a five-county area of northeastern Colorado during 2006-2007...
- Ectoparasites in an urban population of big brown bats (Eptesicus fuscus) in Colorado
Roger D Pearce
Department of Biology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523, USA
J Parasitol 93:518-30. 2007
Ectoparasites of an urban population of big brown bats (Eptesicus fuscus) in Fort Collins, Colorado, were investigated during summers 2002, 2003, and 2004...
- Diazotrophic community structure and function in two successional stages of biological soil crusts from the Colorado Plateau and Chihuahuan Desert
Chris M Yeager
Biosciences Division, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, New Mexico 87545, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 70:973-83. 2004
..and activity of N2-fixing microorganisms in mature and poorly developed biological soil crusts from both the Colorado Plateau and Chihuahuan Desert. Nitrogenase activity was approximately 10 and 2...
- Temporal and geographic evidence for evolution of Sin Nombre virus using molecular analyses of viral RNA from Colorado, New Mexico and Montana
William C Black
Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Pathology, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Virol J 6:102. 2009
..We investigated the prevalence of intramolecular changes and of genomic reassortment among Sin Nombre viruses detected in deer mice in three western states...
- Prevalence of shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli and Salmonella enterica in rock pigeons captured in Fort Collins, Colorado
United States Department of Agriculture, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, Wildlife Services, National Wildlife Research Center, 4101 LaPorte Avenue, Fort Collins, Colorado 80521 2154, USA
J Wildl Dis 42:46-55. 2006
..culture of cloacal swabs collected from pigeons trapped at urban and dairy locations in and around Fort Collins, Colorado from January to November 2003. Presumptive E...
- Spatial risk assessments based on vector-borne disease epidemiologic data: importance of scale for West Nile virus disease in Colorado
Anna M Winters
Division of Vector Borne Infectious Diseases, National Center for Vector Borne, Zoonotic and Enteric Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 82:945-53. 2010
We used epidemiologic data for human West Nile virus (WNV) disease in Colorado from 2003 and 2007 to determine 1) the degree to which estimates of vector-borne disease occurrence is influenced by spatial scale of data aggregation (county ..
- Seasonal changes in an alpine soil bacterial community in the colorado rocky mountains
David A Lipson
Department of Biology, San Diego State University, San Diego, California 92182 4614, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 70:2867-79. 2004
..Past studies have shown that the soil microbial community in alpine dry meadows of the Colorado Rocky Mountains changes in biomass, function, broad-level structure, and fungal diversity between winter and ..
- A successful international child health elective: the University of Colorado Department of Pediatrics' experience
Steven G Federico
Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 160:191-6. 2006
..To describe the organizational features of an international child health elective (ICHE) and to document the diversity of diagnoses observed by residents...
- Colorado Twin Registry
Sally Ann Rhea
Institute for Behavioral Genetics, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO, USA
Twin Res Hum Genet 9:941-9. 2006
The Colorado Twin Registry (CTR) is a population-based registry housed at the Institute for Behavioral Genetics, University of Colorado. Recruited subjects' birth years date from 1968...
- Risk for rabies transmission from encounters with bats, Colorado, 1977-1996
W J Pape
Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, Denver, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 5:433-7. 1999
..Rabies was diagnosed in 685 (15%) of 4,470 bats tested. The prevalence of rabies in bats that bit humans was 2.1 times higher than in bats that did not bite humans. At least a third of the encounters were preventable...
- Early impact of the federally mandated Local Wellness Policy on physical activity in rural, low-income elementary schools in Colorado
Elaine S Belansky
Rocky Moutain Prevention Research Center, Colorado School of Public Health, University of Colorado Denver, Anschutz Medical Campus, Denver, CO, USA
J Public Health Policy 30:S141-60. 2009
..of the United States' federally mandated Local Wellness Policy in rural, low-income elementary schools located in Colorado. Before and after the Local Wellness Policy mandate went into effect, a survey about school features related to ..
- Negligent care and malpractice claiming behavior in Utah and Colorado
D M Studdert
Department of Health Policy and Management, Harvard School of Public Health, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Med Care 38:250-60. 2000
..These studies are based on data from 2 of the most populous states (California and New York), collected more than a decade ago, during volatile periods in the history of malpractice litigation...
- Influenza vaccine effectiveness among 50-64-year-old persons during a season of poor antigenic match between vaccine and circulating influenza virus strains: Colorado, United States, 2003-2004
Guillermo A Herrera
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention CDC, National Immunization Program NIP, Epidemiology and Surveillance Division ESD, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, United States
Vaccine 25:154-60. 2007
..the 2003-2004 influenza season, we conducted a case-control study of influenza vaccine effectiveness (VE) among Colorado residents aged 50-64 years...
- Reduction of subcutaneous mass, but not lean mass, in normal fetuses in Denver, Colorado
H L Galan
Division of Perinatal Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 185:839-44. 2001
- Testing DAYCENT model simulations of corn yields and nitrous oxide emissions in irrigated tillage systems in Colorado
S J Del Grosso
USDA, Agricultural Research Service, 2150 Centre Ave, Bldg D, Ste 100, Fort Collins, CO 80526, USA
J Environ Qual 37:1383-9. 2008
..using N(2)O, crop yield, soil N and C, and other data collected from irrigated cropping systems in northeastern Colorado during 2002 to 2006...
- Signatures of large-scale and local climates on the demography of white-tailed ptarmigan in Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado, USA
Department of Biological Sciences, McEver Hall Room 3, Arkansas Tech University, Russellville 72801, USA
Int J Biometeorol 46:197-201. 2002
..e., the NAO index. We conclude that local responses of wildlife populations to changing climate may not be adequately explained by models that project large-scale climatic patterns...
- Risk network structure in the early epidemic phase of HIV transmission in Colorado Springs
J J Potterat
STD HIV Program, El Paso County Department of Health and Environment, Colorado Springs, Colorado 80910, USA
Sex Transm Infect 78:i159-63. 2002
This study describes the risk network structure of persons with HIV infection during its early epidemic phase in Colorado Springs, USA, using analysis of community-wide HIV/AIDS contact tracing records (sexual and injecting drug partners) ..
- Intersex and other reproductive disruption of fish in wastewater effluent dominated Colorado streams
John D Woodling
University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309, USA
Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol 144:10-5. 2006
..Asynchronous ovarian development was found in some female white suckers downstream of the WWTP effluents, but not upstream. The types and extent of sexual disruption differed in each river studied...
- Identification of germline 185delAG BRCA1 mutations in non-Jewish Americans of Spanish ancestry from the San Luis Valley, Colorado
Lisa G Mullineaux
Rocky Mountain Cancer Centers Rose, Denver, Colorado 80220, USA
Cancer 98:597-602. 2003
..The authors observed a repeated occurrence of the 185delAG mutation (BRCA1; also known as 187delAG) in a non-Jewish population that originated from the San Luis Valley in Colorado.
- Predictive spatial models for risk of West Nile virus exposure in eastern and western Colorado
Anna M Winters
Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Pathology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523 1690, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 79:581-90. 2008
..modeling approach to develop spatial models predicting high risk of exposure to WNV in western and eastern Colorado based on associations between Geographic Information System-derived environmental data and zip code of residence ..
- Farm work practices and farm injuries in Colorado
Department of Psychology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523 1876, USA
Inj Prev 9:241-4. 2003
..s: To describe the farm work patterns and the relationship between hours spent working on specific farm tasks and task specific work related injuries among women and men...
- Findings from mental health screening of newly arrived refugees in Colorado
Department of Psychiatry, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO, USA
Public Health Rep 120:224-9. 2005
..The findings support inclusion of a mental health screening as part of the public health screening...
- Pesticide illness, farm practices, and neurological symptoms among farm residents in Colorado
Department of Psychology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523 1876, USA
Environ Res 90:89-97. 2002
..from a cross-sectional survey of farmers and their spouses conducted in an eight-county area in north-eastern Colorado. Neurological characteristics were assessed to determine their relationship with previously reported pesticide-..
- Association of low maternal education with neural tube defects in Colorado, 1989-1998
T F Farley
University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, CO, USA
Public Health 116:89-94. 2002
..the maternal and child characteristics associated with having an infant born with a neural tube defect (NTD) in Colorado between 1989 and 1998...
- Increased rates of morbidity, mortality, and charges for hospitalized children with public or no health insurance as compared with children with private insurance in Colorado and the United States
Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, Colorado, USA
Pediatrics 118:577-85. 2006
There has been a gradual decrease in the proportion of children covered by private health insurance in Colorado and the United States with a commensurate increase in those with public insurance or having no insurance which may impact ..
- The effect of capitated financing on mental health services for children and youth: the Colorado experience
School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley 94720, USA
Am J Public Health 90:1861-5. 2000
..the effect of capitated financing on mental health services for Medicaid-eligible children and youth in Colorado. The first is that capitation reduces costs...
- Cyclodiene insecticide, DDE, DDT, arsenic, and mercury contamination of big brown bats (Eptesicus fuscus) foraging at a Colorado Superfund site
A L Everette
U.S. Geological Survey, Midcontinent Ecological Science Center, 4512 McMurry Avenue, Fort Collins, Colorado 80525-3400, USA
Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 40:112-20. 2001
Rocky Mountain Arsenal (RMA) National Wildlife Area, near Denver, Colorado, is a Superfund site contaminated by past military and industrial uses, including pesticide manufacturing...
- Livestock-handling injuries in agriculture: an analysis of Colorado workers' compensation data
David I Douphrate
Department of Environmental and Radiological Health Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523 1681, USA
Am J Ind Med 52:391-407. 2009
..This study identifies the costs, characteristics, and contributing factors associated with livestock-handling injuries among Colorado dairy farmers, cattle/livestock raisers, and cattle dealers.
- Sex differences in mortality after traumatic brain injury, Colorado 1994-1998
Indira B Gujral
Department of Environmental and Radiological Health Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, 80523 1676, USA
Brain Inj 20:283-91. 2006
..The purpose of this study was to assess the relationship between sex and traumatic brain injury (TBI) mortality...
- The community and phylogenetic diversity of biological soil crusts in the Colorado Plateau studied by molecular fingerprinting and intensive cultivation
Sathyanarayana Reddy Gundlapally
School of Life Sciences SoLS, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287 4501, USA
Microb Ecol 52:345-57. 2006
We studied the bacterial communities in biological soil crusts (BSCs) from the Colorado Plateau by enrichment and cultivation, and by statistically analyzed denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis (DGGE) fingerprinting of environmental ..
- Biotypic diversity in Colorado Russian wheat aphid (Hemiptera: Aphididae) populations
Aubrey A Weiland
Department of Bioagricultural Sciences and Pest Management, Colorado State University, Ft Collins, CO 80523 1177, USA
J Econ Entomol 101:569-74. 2008
..wheat aphid, Diuraphis noxia (Kurdjumov) (Hemiptera: Aphididae), was assessed in five isolates collected in Colorado. Three isolates, RWA 1, RWA 2, and an isolate from Montezuma County, CO, designated RWA 6, were originally ..
- The Colorado Haemophilia Paediatric Joint Physical Examination Scale: normal values and interrater reliability
M R Hacker
Mountain States Regional Hemophilia and Thrombosis Center, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, Aurora, CO, USA
Haemophilia 13:71-8. 2007
..Physical examination is the most feasible approach to monitor joint health. Our group developed the Colorado Haemophilia Paediatric Joint Physical Examination Scale to identify earlier signs of joint degeneration and ..
- Nonfatal agricultural injuries among Colorado older male farmers
Colorado State University, USA
J Aging Health 11:65-78. 1999
This study described characteristics and potential risk factors for nonfatal agricultural injuries among older male farmers age 60 years and older in Colorado.
- Pesticide poisoning and respiratory disorders in Colorado farm residents
C L Beseler
College of Public Health, University of Nebraska, Omaha, Nebraska 68198 4395, USA
J Agric Saf Health 15:327-34. 2009
..A total of 761 farm operators and their spouses, representing 479 farms in northeastern Colorado, were recruited from 1993 to 1997...
- Using splines to analyse latency in the Colorado Plateau uranium miners cohort
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda MD 20892-7244, USA
J Epidemiol Biostat 6:417-24. 2001
..spline function model to investigate latency patterns for radon progeny exposure and lung cancer in the Colorado Plateau uranium miners cohort. The model extends a previously proposed bilinear model...
- Follow-up of 2003 human West Nile virus infections, Denver, Colorado
Jennifer L Patnaik
Tri County Health Department, Greenwood Village, Colorado 80111, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 12:1129-31. 2006
..a follow-up study of all nonfatal West Nile virus (WNV) cases reported during 2003 in 4 metropolitan Denver, Colorado, counties. Self-reported patient information was obtained approximately 6 months after onset. A total of 656 (81...
- Secondary attack rate of type 1 diabetes in Colorado families
Andrea K Steck
Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, 4200 East 9th Ave, Box B 140, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Diabetes Care 28:296-300. 2005
..No U.S. population-specific life-table risk estimates are currently available for parents, and those for siblings (2-6% by age 20 years) are based on family studies completed before 1987...
- Increasing colon cancer testing in rural Colorado: evaluation of the exposure to a community-based awareness campaign
Department of Family Medicine, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Aurora, Colorado, USA
BMC Public Health 9:288. 2009
..awareness and educational intervention to increase colorectal cancer screening rates in rural northeastern Colorado. This study describes the program components and implementation and explores whether the target population was ..
- Breastfeeding practices in Colorado businesses
Barrett Flaschar Dunn
Boulder County Public Health in Boulder, Colorado 80304, USA
J Hum Lact 20:170-7. 2004
The Colorado Worksite Infant Feeding Survey was used to examine breastfeeding support policies and practices within Colorado businesses. Only 28...
- Small-scale vertical distribution of bacterial biomass and diversity in biological soil crusts from arid lands in the Colorado plateau
Microbiology Department, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287, USA
Microb Ecol 46:312-21. 2003
..bacterial biomass, diversity, and vertical stratification of biological soil crusts in arid lands from the Colorado Plateau...
- Three distinct clades of cultured heterocystous cyanobacteria constitute the dominant N2-fixing members of biological soil crusts of the Colorado Plateau, USA
Chris M Yeager
Biosciences Division M888, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM 87545, USA
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 60:85-97. 2007
The identity of the numerically dominant N(2)-fixing bacteria in biological soil crusts of the Colorado Plateau region and two outlying areas was determined using multiple approaches, to link the environmental diversity of nifH gene ..
- Colorado dental practitioners' attitudes and practices regarding tobacco-use prevention activities for 8- through 12-year-old patients
Kelly R Kast
Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, Denver, Colorado, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 139:467-75. 2008
..This study characterizes the factors related to dentists and hygienists conducting tobacco-use prevention counseling with 8- through 12-year-old patients...
- The effects that well depth and wellhead protection have on bacterial contamination of private water wells in the Estes Park Valley, Colorado
Thomas R Gonzales
Clark County Public Health, Environmental Health Services, Vancouver, WA 98666 8825, USA
J Environ Health 71:17-23. 2008
..coli bacteria in the Estes Park Valley, Colorado. Many of these water wells are shallow or hand-dug in construction...
- Realigning clinical and economic incentives to support depression management within a medicaid population: the Colorado access experience
Marshall R Thomas
Department of Psychiatry, University of Colorado Health Science Center, Denver, CO 80220, USA
Adm Policy Ment Health 33:26-33. 2006
..describe their experiences in developing an economically sustainable depression care management program within Colorado Access, a non-profit Medicaid health plan...
- Are low-income elderly patients at risk for poor diabetes care?
Daniel T McCall
Colorado Foundation for Medical Care, Denver, Colorado, USA
Diabetes Care 27:1060-5. 2004
..However, the quality of diabetes care delivered to these patients has not been evaluated. The aims of this study were to describe the quality of diabetes care provided to DE patients and compare it with non-DE patients...
- Prevalence of Coxiella burnetii DNA in vaginal and uterine samples from healthy cats of north-central Colorado
Department of Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523 1620, United States
J Feline Med Surg 9:196-201. 2007
..of C burnetii DNA in uterine and vaginal tissues from healthy client-owned and shelter cats of north-central Colorado using polymerase chain reaction assay...
- Novel potential reservoirs for Borrelia sp. and the agent of human granulocytic ehrlichiosis in Colorado
Christopher E DeNatale
Division of Vector Borne Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, P O Box 2087, Rampart Road, Fort Collins, Colorado 80522, USA
J Wildl Dis 38:478-82. 2002
..ehrlichiosis (aoHGE) within woodrats (Neotoma mexicana) and deer mice (Peromyscus maniculatus) in northern Colorado (USA). Because I. spinipalpis is the only known vector of B...
- Urbanization increases grassland carbon pools: effects of landscaping in Colorado's front range
Nancy E Golubiewski
Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences, Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado 80309 0216, USA
Ecol Appl 16:555-71. 2006
..Carbon pools of soil and vegetation on landscaped properties were examined in the Front Range of Colorado, USA, in order to characterize vegetation and soils found in urban green spaces; analyze their aboveground ..
- Arsenic, cadmium, lead, and mercury in surface soils, Pueblo, Colorado: implications for population health risk
Moussa M Diawara
Department of Biology, Colorado State University Pueblo, 2200 Bonforte Blvd, Pueblo, Colorado 81001, USA
Environ Geochem Health 28:297-315. 2006
..intensive industrial and agricultural practices as well as rapid urbanization have left communities like Pueblo, Colorado facing potential health threats from pollution of its soils, air, water and food supply...
- Melanocytic nevus development in Colorado children born in 1998: a longitudinal study
Lori A Crane
Department of Community and Behavioral Health, Colorado School of Public Health, University of Colorado Denver, 13001 E 17th Pl, Campus Box B119, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Arch Dermatol 145:148-56. 2009
To describe the development of nevi from 3 to 8 years of age in a birth cohort of children in Colorado.
- Cluster of presumed organic dust toxic syndrome cases among urban landscape workers-Colorado, 2007
Tegan K Boehmer
Tri County Health Department, Greenwood Village, Colorado 80111, USA
Am J Ind Med 52:534-8. 2009
..In July 2007, Tri-County Health Department investigated a cluster of acute respiratory illnesses among urban landscape workers with known mulch exposure...
- Transmission of an arenavirus in white-throated woodrats (Neotoma albigula), southeastern Colorado, 1995-1999
C H Calisher
Colorado State University, Fort Collins 80523, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 7:397-402. 2001
..From 1995 to 1999, we conducted longitudinal studies of white- throated woodrats (Neotoma albigula) in southeastern Colorado. Forty-five (42.9%) of 105 female and 15 (26.8%) of 56 male N...
- Mycobacterium goodii infections associated with surgical implants at Colorado hospital
Dayna Devon Ferguson
Communicable Disease Epidemiology, Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, Denver, Colorado 80246, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 10:1868-71. 2004
..Mycobacterium goodii wound infections were identified among three patients who received surgical implants at a Colorado hospital. This report summarizes the investigation of the first reported nosocomial outbreak of M. goodii...
- Cadmium toxicity among wildlife in the Colorado Rocky Mountains
J R Larison
Section of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853, USA
Nature 406:181-3. 2000
..Here we have measured trace metals in the food web and tissues of white-tailed ptarmigan (Lagopus leucurus) in Colorado. Our results suggest that cadmium toxicity may be more common among natural populations of vertebrates than has ..
- Sampling for sand flies (Diptera: Psychodidae) among prairie dog colonies on ranches with histories of vesicular stomatitis in new Mexico and Colorado
E T Schmidtmann
Arthropod Borne Animal Diseases Research Laboratory, USDA ARS, Laramie, WY 82071, USA
J Med Entomol 39:680-4. 2002
..vesicular stomatitis (VS) in domestic livestock in the mid-Rio Grande River Valley, NM, and west-slope region of Colorado. Sampling was conducted at six locations, three in each region, using three methods: standard down-draft suction/..
- Investigation of Kawasaki syndrome risk factors in Colorado
Tracee A Treadwell
Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases National Center for Infectious Diseases Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Atlanta, GA, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 21:976-8. 2002
..3; 95% confidence interval, 1.8 to 29.3) and possibly with an antecedent respiratory illness. The use of humidifiers should be further investigated as part of future studies of KS...
- Alcohol consumption patterns and work-related injuries among Colorado farm residents
Colorado State University, Department of Psychology, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523 1876, USA
Am J Prev Med 25:25-30. 2003
..Few studies have assessed the relationship between alcohol consumption patterns among farm populations and work-related injuries. The purpose of this study was to assess the role of alcohol consumption patterns on farmwork-related injuries...
- Assessment of occupational health and safety risks of farmworkers in Colorado
Martha Soledad Vela-Acosta
School of Public Health, The University of Texas at Brownsville, Brownsville, Texas 78520, USA
Am J Ind Med . 2002
..Migrant farmworkers face a variety of hazards including exposure to pesticides and agricultural chemicals. However, few studies have quantatively evaluated these risks...
- Effects of physical and geochemical heterogeneities on mineral transformation and biomass accumulation during biostimulation experiments at Rifle, Colorado
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Earth Sciences Division, 1 Cyclotron Road, MS 90 1116, Berkeley, CA 94720, United States
J Contam Hydrol 112:45-63. 2010
..of mineral precipitates and biomass accumulated during a biostimulation field experiment near Rifle, Colorado. Field bromide breakthrough data were used to infer a heterogeneous distribution of hydraulic conductivity ..
- Powassan encephalitis and Colorado tick fever
Jose R Romero
Section of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, Department of Pediatrics, University of Nebraska Medical Center, 982162 Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198 2162, USA
Infect Dis Clin North Am 22:545-59, x. 2008
..Powassan encephalitis, a rare cause of central nervous system infection caused by the Powassan virus, and Colorado tick fever, an acute febrile illness caused by the Colorado tick fever virus common to the Rocky Mountain region ..
- Persistent Bovine viral diarrhea virus infection in wild cervids of Colorado
Colorado State University Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory, Fort Collins, CO 80523 1619, USA
J Vet Diagn Invest 20:650-3. 2008
..To determine the prevalence and distribution of Colorado deer, elk, and moose persistently infected (PI) with BVDV, a cross-sectional study was conducted using full-..
- Vacations to waterside locations result in nevus development in Colorado children
Kelly J Pettijohn
Department of Community and Behavioral Health, Colorado School of Public Health, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 18:454-63. 2009
..the relationship between vacations and nevi in 681 White children born in 1998 who were lifetime residents of Colorado. Vacation histories were assessed through telephone interviews of parents, whereas nevus and phenotypic ..
- A QTL that confers resistance to Colorado potato beetle (Leptinotarsa decemlineata [Say]) in tetraploid potato populations segregating for leptine
Instituto de Investigaciones Agropecuarias INIA, CRI Rayentué, Casilla 13, Rengo, Chile
Theor Appl Genet 119:1171-81. 2009
Genetic resistance to Colorado potato beetle (Leptinotarsa decemlineata [Say]) from Solanum chacoense has been incorporated in the tetraploid potato selection, ND4382-19, which is highly resistant and contains moderate level of foliar ..
- Multidecadal climate variability and climate interactions affect subalpine fire occurrence, western Colorado (USA)
Department of Geography, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado 80309, USA
Ecology 88:2891-902. 2007
This study investigates the influence of climatic variability on subalpine forest fire occurrence in western Colorado during the AD 1600-2003 period...
- Knowledge, attitudes, beliefs, and personal practices regarding colorectal cancer screening among health care professionals in rural Colorado: a pilot survey
Sun Hee Rim
Division of Cancer Prevention and Control, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 4770 Buford Highway NE, MS K 55, Atlanta, GA 30341 3724, USA
J Rural Health 25:303-8. 2009
..professionals regarding colorectal cancer (CRC) screening in the High Plains Research Network (HPRN) of rural Colorado prior to a community-based educational intervention...
- Factors influencing inadequate and excessive weight gain in pregnancy: Colorado, 2000-2002
Chris S Wells
Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, Health Statistics Section, Center for Health and Environmental Information and Statistics, Denver, Colorado 80246 1530, USA
Matern Child Health J 10:55-62. 2006
..To identify the biological, psychosocial, and behavioral characteristics that are associated with inadequate and/or excessive weight gain in pregnancy...
- Effect of prior disturbances on the extent and severity of wildfire in Colorado subalpine forests
Department of Geography, University of Colorado, Campus Box 260, Boulder, Colorado 80309, USA
Ecology 88:759-69. 2007
..Between 1997 and 2002 extensive areas of subalpine forests in northwestern Colorado were affected by a blowdown of trees, bark beetle outbreaks, and salvage logging...
- Measuring success in a pesticide risk reduction program among migrant farmworkers in Colorado
Martha Soledad Vela Acosta
Division of Environmental and Occupational Health, School of Public Health, University of Texas, Health Sciences Center RAHC Building, Brownsville, Texas 78520, USA
Am J Ind Med 47:237-45. 2005
..The High Plains Intermountain Center for Agricultural Health and Safety bilingual pesticide risk reduction program, which complied with the Worker Protection Standard for migrant farmworkers was evaluated...
- Temporally distinct Escherichia coli 0157 outbreaks associated with alfalfa sprouts linked to a common seed source--Colorado and Minnesota, 2003
D D Ferguson
Epidemic Intelligence Service, Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, Denver, CO 80246, USA
Epidemiol Infect 133:439-47. 2005
Escherichia coli O157 outbreaks were identified in Minnesota in February 2003 involving seven persons and in Colorado in July 2003 involving 13 persons...
- Relationship between distance from major larval habitats and abundance of adult mosquitoes in semiarid plains landscapes in Colorado
Christopher M Barker
Center for Vectorborne Diseases, University of California, Davis, CA 95616 5270, USA
J Med Entomol 46:1290-8. 2009
..larval habitats and abundance of adult mosquitoes in the semiarid plains landscape characteristic of eastern Colorado. Mosquito collection was conducted from late June to early August 2007 and included trap locations at distances ..
- Selenium impacts on razorback sucker, Colorado: Colorado River III. Larvae
Steven J Hamilton
US Geological Survey, Columbia Environmental Research Center, Field Research Station, 31247 436th Avenue, Yankton, SD 57078 6364, USA
Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 61:168-89. 2005
Razorback sucker (Xyrauchen texanus) larvae from adults exposed to selenium at three sites near Grand Junction, Colorado, for 9 months were used in a 30-day waterborne and dietary selenium study...
- Occurrence of infectious upper respiratory tract disease and response to vaccination in horses on six sentinel premises in northern Colorado
E L Mumford
Animal Population Health Institute, Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523, USA
Equine Vet J 35:72-7. 2003
..Horses vaccinated against common agents of infectious upper respiratory disease (IURD) may not have detectable serum antibody and may not be protected from clinical disease...
- The impact of managed care on cross-system use of mental health services by veterans in Colorado
Rani A Desai
Northeast Program Evaluation Center NEPEC 182, Department of Veterans Affairs, 950 Campbell Avenue, West Haven, CT 06516, USA
Psychiatr Serv 53:1599-604. 2002
..This study examined whether the advent of managed care in Colorado resulted in lower rates of use of both state and Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) mental health care services (..
- Childhood growth and age at diagnosis with Type 1 diabetes in Colorado young people
University of South Florida, Pediatrics Epidemiology Center, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Diabet Med 26:961-7. 2009
..We assessed changes in age, body mass index (BMI), weight and height at diagnosis with T1D in non-Hispanic white (NHW) and Hispanic (HISP) young people from Colorado, using data from the IDDM Registry and SEARCH Study.
- The peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator-1 alpha gene (PGC-1alpha) is not associated with type 2 diabetes mellitus or body mass index among Hispanic and non Hispanic Whites from Colorado
T L Nelson
Department of Health and Exercise Science, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 115:268-75. 2007
..proliferator-activated receptor gamma (PPAR-gamma) gene among Hispanics and Non-Hispanic Whites (NHW) from Colorado. We studied 216 Hispanic pedigrees (1850 nuclear families) and 236 NHW pedigrees (1240 families) from the San ..
- Surface complexation modeling of U(VI) adsorption by aquifer sediments from a former mill tailings site at Rifle, Colorado
Sung Pil Hyun
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Environ Sci Technol 43:9368-73. 2009
A study of U(VI) adsorption by aquifer sediment samples from a former uranium mill tailings site at Rifle, Colorado, was conducted under oxic conditions as a function of pH, U(VI), Ca, and dissolved carbonate concentration...
- The Kaiser Permanente Colorado Clinical Pharmacy Anticoagulation Service as a model of modern anticoagulant care
Daniel M Witt
Clinical Pharmacy Services, Kaiser Permanente Colorado, 16601 East Centretech Parkway, Aurora, CO 80011, USA
Thromb Res 123:S36-41. 2008
The Clinical Pharmacy Anticoagulation Service (CPAS) at Kaiser Permanente Colorado grew from a single pharmacist assisting a single physician to a comprehensive service staffed by over 20 employees...
- Retrospective study of morbidity and mortality of raptors admitted to Colorado State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital during 1995 to 1998
Michelle D Wendell
College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523, USA
J Wildl Dis 38:101-6. 2002
..study was conducted to identify causes of morbidity and mortality of free-living raptors in northeast Colorado and the surrounding areas of Nebraska and Wyoming...
- Using tensor product splines in modeling exposure-time-response relationships: application to the Colorado Plateau Uranium Miners cohort
Department of Preventive Medicine, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, 1540 Alcazar St CHP 220, Los Angeles, CA 90089 9011, USA
Stat Med 27:5484-96. 2008
..In analyzing data from the Colorado Plateau Uranium Miners cohort, a model that allows for varying exposure-dependent latency shapes is found to be ..