- Inter- and intraspecific variations of bacterial communities associated with marine sponges from san juan island, washington
On On Lee
Department of Biology, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Clear Water Bay, Kowloon, Hong Kong SAR, China
Appl Environ Microbiol 75:3513-21. 2009
This study attempted to assess whether conspecific or congeneric sponges around San Juan Island, Washington, harbor specific bacterial communities...
- Monthly variation in preeclampsia prevalence: Washington State, 1987-2001
Carole B Rudra
Department of Epidemiology, University of Washington School of Public Health and Community Medicine, Seattle, WA, USA
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 18:319-24. 2005
We investigated the extent of monthly variation in preeclampsia prevalence among primiparous women in Washington State who delivered from 1987 through 2001.
- Predictors and correlates of interest in assisted suicide in the final month of life among ALS patients in Oregon and Washington
Mental Health Division, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, USA
J Pain Symptom Manage 24:312-7. 2002
..ill patients, we surveyed 50 caregivers of decedent amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) patients from Oregon and Washington regarding perceptions of patients' interest in assisted suicide and their physical and emotional state in the ..
- Evaluation of the Washington state screening, brief intervention, and referral to treatment project: cost outcomes for Medicaid patients screened in hospital emergency departments
Research and Data Analysis Division, Washington State Department of Social and Health Services, Olympia, WA 98504 5204, USA
Med Care 48:18-24. 2010
..We evaluated a screening, brief intervention, and referral to treatment (SBIRT) program, implemented in 9 hospital emergency departments (ED) in Washington State.
- Moyamoya disease in Washington State and California
Department of Neurology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Neurology 65:956-8. 2005
The authors identified 298 diagnoses of moyamoya in California and Washington from hospital discharge databases during the period 1987 to 1998. The incidence was 0.086/100,000 persons...
- Lumbar fusion outcomes in Washington State workers' compensation
Sham Maghout Juratli
Occupational Epidemiology and Health Outcomes Program, University of Washington, School of Public Health and Community Medicine, Seattle, WA 98103 9058, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 31:2715-23. 2006
..Retrospective population-based cohort study...
- Cold-related cardiac mortality in King County, Washington, USA 1980-2001
Emergency Medical Services Division, Public Health Seattle and King County, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Ann Hum Biol 32:525-37. 2005
..Studies have shown that cardiac deaths increase during the winter months and that death rates can be tightly predicted from temperature rather than other atmospheric phenomena such as barometric pressure, humidity, or pollution...
- Temporal trends in sexual behaviors and sexually transmitted disease history among 18- to 39-year-old Seattle, Washington, residents: results of random digit-dial surveys
Sevgi O Aral
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Sex Transm Dis 32:710-7. 2005
..The objectives of this study were to describe sexual behaviors of Seattle residents in 2003-2004 and report changes since 1995...
- Retention in publicly funded methadone maintenance treatment in two Western States
RMC Research Corporation, 522 SW Fifth Ave, Suite 1407, Portland, OR 97204, USA
J Behav Health Serv Res 32:43-60. 2005
..in methadone maintenance treatment among Medicaid-eligible adults in treatment for opiate use in Oregon and Washington. Logistic regression was used to examine the contributions of predisposing, need, and enabling characteristics ..
- Genetic variants of Anaplasma phagocytophilum infecting dogs in Western Washington State
Florence M Poitout
Phoenix Central Laboratory, 11620 Airport Rd, Everett, WA 98204 3742, USA
J Clin Microbiol 43:796-801. 2005
Eight dogs from western Washington State suspected of being infected with Anaplasma phagocytophilum because of the finding of morulae in peripheral blood neutrophils were studied for determination of the etiologic agent of disease...
- Behavioral risk factors and use of preventive services among veterans in Washington State
Seattle Epidemiologic Research and Information Center, U S Department of Veterans Affairs, VAPSHCS, Box 152E, 1660 S Columbian Way, Seattle, WA 98108 1597, USA
Prev Med 35:557-62. 2002
..Little is known about the special preventive health needs of U.S. veterans and the 3.6 million users of VA health care...
- Occupational heat illness in Washington State, 1995-2005
Safety and Health Assessment and Research for Prevention Program, Washington State Department of Labor and Industries, Olympia, Washington 98504 4330, USA
Am J Ind Med 50:940-50. 2007
..Little information exists describing the incidence of heat-related illness (HRI) among non-military working populations. An analysis of HRI cases utilizing workers' compensation data has not been previously reported...
- Community orthodontists and craniofacial care: results of a Washington state survey
Charlotte W Lewis
Craniofacial Center, Children s Hospital and Regional Medical Center, Seattle, Washington, USA
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 42:521-5. 2005
..Little is known about community orthodontists' previous training in, experience with, or receptivity to caring for children with craniofacial disorders...
- Claims incidence of work-related disorders of the upper extremities: Washington state, 1987 through 1995
Safety and Health Assessment and Research for Prevention Program, Washington State Department of Labor and Industries, Olympia 98504 4330, USA
Am J Public Health 88:1827-33. 1998
This study examined the claim incidence rate, cost, and industry distribution of work-related upper extremity disorders in Washington.
- Incidence and outcomes of acute lung injury
Gordon D Rubenfeld
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, WA 98104 2499, USA
N Engl J Med 353:1685-93. 2005
..Despite recent advances in our understanding of the mechanism and treatment of acute lung injury, its incidence and outcomes in the United States have been unclear...
- Agricultural-related chemical exposures, season of conception, and risk of gastroschisis in Washington State
Sarah A Waller
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Washington School of Medicine, 1959 NE Pacific St, Box 356460, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 202:241.e1-6. 2010
..We sought to determine if periconceptional exposure to agrichemicals was associated with the development of gastroschisis...
- Tuberculosis outbreak in marijuana users, Seattle, Washington, 2004
John E Oeltmann
Division of Tuberculosis Elimination, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 12:1156-9. 2006
..A large proportion of their friends, 14 (64%) of 22, had positive tuberculin skin-test results. The behavior of "hotboxing" (smoking marijuana inside a closed car with friends to repeatedly inhale exhaled smoke) fueled transmission...
- Pregnancy outcomes in women infected with Chlamydia trachomatis: a population-based cohort study in Washington State
Magaly M Blas
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health and Community Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98103, USA
Sex Transm Infect 83:314-8. 2007
To measure the risk of preterm delivery, premature rupture of membranes, infant low birth weight and infant mortality, by a population-based retrospective cohort study using Washington State birth certificate data.
- Environmental investigations of Vibrio parahaemolyticus in oysters after outbreaks in Washington, Texas, and New York (1997 and 1998)
Gulf Coast Seafood Laboratory, Food and Drug Administration, Dauphin Island, Alabama 36528, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 66:4649-54. 2000
..densities and the occurrence of pathogenic strains in shellfish were determined following outbreaks in Washington, Texas, and New York...
- Association of the built environment with physical activity and obesity in older persons
Ethan M Berke
Department of Family Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
Am J Public Health 97:486-92. 2007
..We examined whether older persons who live in areas that are conducive to walking are more active or less obese than those living in areas where walking is more difficult...
- Comparison of organophosphorus pesticide metabolite levels in single and multiple daily urine samples collected from preschool children in Washington State
John C Kissel
Department of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences, School of Public Health and Community Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
J Expo Anal Environ Epidemiol 15:164-71. 2005
A total organophosphorus pesticide exposure study was conducted in Washington State in 1998 in a sample population of 13 children aged 2.5-5.5 years...
- Association between particulate matter and emergency room visits, hospital admissions and mortality in Spokane, Washington
James C Slaughter
Department of Environmental Health, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
J Expo Anal Environ Epidemiol 15:153-9. 2005
..admissions and emergency room (ER) visits for respiratory and cardiac conditions and mortality in Spokane, Washington. We used a log-linear generalized linear model to compare daily averages of PM and carbon monoxide with daily ..
- Analysis of trends in coronary artery bypass grafting and percutaneous coronary intervention rates in Washington state from 1987 to 2001
Matthew R Ulrich
Department of Medical Education and Biomedical Informatics, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington, USA
Am J Cardiol 92:836-9. 2003
To determine if the actual rate of coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) has been decreasing in Washington state, CABG and percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) procedure rates from 1987 to 2001 were age- and gender-adjusted and ..
- Children's exposure to chlorpyrifos and parathion in an agricultural community in central Washington State
Richard A Fenske
Department of Environmental Health, School of Public Health and Community Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle 98195 7234, USA
Environ Health Perspect 110:549-53. 2002
..residences, and their metabolic by-products, in the urine of children 6 years old or younger in a central Washington State agricultural community...
- Who is caring for the underserved? A comparison of primary care physicians and nonphysician clinicians in California and Washington
Center for California Health Workforce Studies, University of California, San Francisco, Calif, USA
Ann Fam Med 1:97-104. 2003
..The objective of this study was to compare the geographic distribution and patient populations of physician and nonphysician primary care clinicians...
- Tissue contaminants and associated transcriptional response in trout liver from high elevation lakes of Washington
Patrick W Moran
U S Geological Survey, Washington Water Science Center, Tacoma, Washington 98402, USA
Environ Sci Technol 41:6591-7. 2007
The consistent cold temperatures and large amount of precipitation in the Olympic and Cascade ranges of Washington State are thought to enhance atmospheric deposition of contaminants...
- Spring 2009 H1N1 influenza outbreak in King County, Washington
Tao Sheng Kwan-Gett
Public Health Seattle and King County, 401 Fifth Ave, CNK 0900, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Disaster Med Public Health Prep 3:S109-16. 2009
In April 2009, King County, Washington, experienced a sustained outbreak of 2009 H1N1 influenza A. This report describes the epidemiology of that outbreak in King County, home to a diverse population of 1.9 million people.
- Source apportionment of PM2.5 at an urban IMPROVE site in Seattle, Washington
Naydene N Maykut
Puget Sound Clean Air Agency, 110 Union Street, Seattle, Washington 98101, USA
Environ Sci Technol 37:5135-42. 2003
..The PMF model was able to do this without the additional carbon species, relying on selected trace elements to distinguish the various combustion sources...
- Autism prevalence and precipitation rates in California, Oregon, and Washington counties
Johnson Graduate School of Management, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 162:1026-34. 2008
..To investigate empirically the possibility of an environmental trigger for autism among genetically vulnerable children that is positively associated with precipitation...
- Impact of foreign-born persons on HIV diagnosis rates among Blacks in King County, Washington
James B Kent
HIV Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit, Public Health Seattle and King County, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
AIDS Educ Prev 17:60-7. 2005
To characterize HIV and AIDS cases in foreign-born persons in King County, Washington, HIV surveillance data were analyzed by place of birth, race and ethnicity, mode of transmission, and year of HIV diagnosis...
- Outbreak of coccidioidomycosis in Washington state residents returning from Mexico
Section of Communicable Disease Epidemiology, Washington State Department of Health, and Epidemic Intelligence Service, Division of Applied Public Health Training, Seattle, WA, USA
Clin Infect Dis 30:61-4. 2000
In July 1996 the Washington State Department of Health (Seattle) was notified of a cluster of a flulike, rash-associated illness in a 126-member church group, many of whom were adolescents...
- University of Washington and partners' program to teach middle school students about neuroscience and science careers
S L Cunningham
School of Nursing, University of Washington, Seattle 98195 7266, USA
Acad Med 74:318-21. 1999
..neuroscience-focused project aimed at middle-school students and teachers primarily throughout Washington State and also across the country...
- How traditional Chinese medicine acupuncturists would diagnose and treat chronic low back pain: results of a survey of licensed acupuncturists in Washington State
K J Sherman
Northwest Institute of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine, Seattle, Washington, USA
Complement Ther Med 9:146-53. 2001
..This survey was undertaken to learn how Traditional Chinese Medicine acupuncturists' diagnose and treat patients with chronic low back pain in order to develop a standardized treatment for a clinical trial of that condition...
- Testing the recommendations of the Washington State Nutrition and Physical Activity Plan: the Moses Lake case study
Donna B Johnson
Center for Public Health Nutrition and Nutritional Sciences Program, University of Washington, PO Box 353410, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 3:A59. 2006
The Washington State Nutrition and Physical Activity Plan provides a framework in which policy makers can work together to build and support healthy environments for nutrition and physical activity...
- Adverse perinatal outcomes and risk for postpartum suicide attempt in Washington state, 1987-2001
Melissa A Schiff
Harborview Injury Prevention and Research Center, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98104, USA
Pediatrics 118:e669-75. 2006
..Our objectives were to determine the temporal risk period for these events and to assess whether maternal complications and adverse infant outcomes are associated with risk for postpartum suicide attempt...
- Effect of Medicare coverage on use of invasive colorectal cancer screening tests
Cynthia W Ko
Division of Gastroenterology, University of Washington, Box 356424, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Arch Intern Med 162:2581-6. 2002
..Screening for colorectal cancer is now widely recommended but underused. Lack of insurance coverage for screening tests may be one reason patients do not undergo these procedures...
- Laboratory investigation of an E. coli O157:H7 outbreak associated with swimming in Battle Ground Lake, Vancouver, Washington
Department of Environmental Health, School of Public Health, University of Washington, Box 357234, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Environ Health 64:16-20, 26, 25. 2002
..coli O157:H7 associated with swimming in Battle Ground Lake in Clark Country, Washington. E. coli O157:H7 was isolated from duck feces, as well as from two water samples...
- A partnership in teaching evidence-based medicine to interns at the University of Washington Medical Center
National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Pacific Northwest Region, USA
J Med Libr Assoc 95:283-6. 2007
- Opioid use for chronic low back pain: A prospective, population-based study among injured workers in Washington state, 2002-2005
Gary M Franklin
Departments of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
Clin J Pain 25:743-51. 2009
..To determine (1) the natural history of prescription opioid use, (2) the predictors of long-term opioid use, and (3) the association between opioid dose and pain and function in a large cohort of workers with recent back injuries...
- Fumigant-related illnesses: Washington State's five-year experience
J L Burgess
Environmental Occupational Health Unit, University of Arizona Prevention Center, Tucson 85719 4197, USA
J Toxicol Clin Toxicol 38:7-14. 2000
Exposure to fumigants may have severe or persistent health effects. Washington State's fumigant-related illnesses were reviewed to better understand the circumstances surrounding exposure and resultant health effects.
- Community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus epidemic clone USA300 in isolates from Florida and Washington
Jill C Roberts
Center for Biological Defense, University of South Florida College of Public Health, Bureau of Laboratories Tampa, 33612, USA
J Clin Microbiol 44:225-6. 2006
We examined 299 methicillin-resistant, community-associated Staphylococcus aureus isolates from Florida and Washington State for the presence of the USA300 epidemic clone...
- Isolation of metronidazole-resistant Bacteroides fragilis carrying the nimA nitroreductase gene from a patient in Washington State
Jeffrey M Schapiro
Department of Laboratory Medicine, University of Washington Medical Center, Box 357110, 1959 NE Pacific St, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Clin Microbiol 42:4127-9. 2004
..fragilis strains in the United States and the importance of susceptibility testing in selected situations...
- Health risks associated with contamination of groundwater by abandoned mines near Twisp in Okanogan County, Washington, USA
College of Forestry, University of Washington, Box 352100, 3841 42nd Ave NE, Seattle, Washington 98195 2100, USA
Environ Geochem Health 26:69-79. 2004
..exposure among residents consuming water from wells adjacent to abandoned mines near Twisp, in Okanogan County, Washington, USA, estimated the risk of adverse health effects, and considered the degree of uncertainty associated with the ..
- Addressing global health through the marriage of public health and medicine: developing the University of Washington department of global health
F Bruder Stapleton
University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington, USA
Acad Med 81:897-901. 2006
..Building on strong university-based and community-based programs in global health, the University of Washington has created a unique Department of Global Health that is housed jointly in its School of Public Health and ..
- Incidence and characteristics of hospitalized patients with pressure ulcers: State of Washington, 1987 to 2000
Jeffrey R Scott
Department of Surgery, University of Washington, Harborview Injury Prevention and Research Center, Seattle, Washington, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 117:630-4. 2006
..Guidelines have been promulgated to prevent pressure ulcers in hospitalized patients. The purpose of this study was to determine whether these guidelines have, in fact, reduced the incidence of pressure sores...
- Oral health in the pediatric practice setting: a survey of Washington State pediatricians
Charlotte W Lewis
Division of General Pediatrics, Child Health Institute, University of Washington, Box 354920, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Public Health Dent 64:111-4. 2004
..Pediatric health care providers may be the only source of preventive oral health education for families of young children who lack access to professional dental care...
- Telephone notification of HIV test results: impact in King County, Washington
Laura A McKinstry
Department of Medicine, Division of Medical Genetics, University of Washington Medical Center, Seattle, Washington 98195 7720, USA
Sex Transm Dis 34:796-800. 2007
..We evaluated if receiving HIV test results over the telephone was associated with a change in the number of persons who received results...
- Working across the boundaries of health professions disciplines in education, research, and service: the University of Washington experience
Pamela H Mitchell
University of Washington School of Nursing, Center for Health Sciences Interprofessional Education, Seattle, Washington 98195 7266, USA
Acad Med 81:891-6. 2006
..their educational, research, and service missions? The authors summarize the history of the University of Washington (UW) Health Sciences Center in promoting interprofessional collaboration in education, service and research; ..
- Temporary workers in Washington state
Caroline K Smith
Safety and Health Assessment and Research for Prevention, Washington State Department of Labor and Industries, Olympia, Washington, USA
Am J Ind Med 53:135-45. 2010
..The purpose of this study is to compare the workers' compensation experience of a large cohort of temporary agency employed workers with those in standard forms of employment...
- Serum concentrations of perfluorooctanesulfonate and other fluorochemicals in an elderly population from Seattle, Washington
Geary W Olsen
Medical Department, 3M Company, Mail Stop 220 3W 05, St Paul, MN 55144, USA
Chemosphere 54:1599-611. 2004
..Similar to other reported findings of younger adults, the geometric mean serum PFOS concentration in non-occupational adult populations likely approximates 30-40 ppb with 95% of the population's serum PFOS concentrations below 100 ppb...
- First occurrence of Ochlerotatus japonicus in the state of Washington
Monica R Roppo
Washington Department of Health, Office of Environmental Health and Safety, 7171 Cleanwater Lane Building 3, PO Box 47825, Olympia, WA 98504 7825, USA
J Am Mosq Control Assoc 20:83-4. 2004
This is a report on the 1st occurrence of Ochlerotatus japonicus in the state of Washington. In August through November 2001, immature stages were found near the King County communities of Carnation (2 sites), Black Diamond, Kent, and ..
- Improved clinical outcomes for fee-for-service physician practices participating in a diabetes care collaborative
Rockwood Clinic, Spokane, Washington, USA
Jt Comm J Qual Saf 30:187-94. 2004
The Rockwood Clinic in Spokane, Washington, participated in the Washington State Diabetes Collaborative, which promoted spread of the Chronic Care Model...
- Back injuries among union carpenters in Washington State, 1989-2003
Hester J Lipscomb
Division of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Department of Community and Family Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina27710, USA
Am J Ind Med 51:463-74. 2008
- Evaluation of full vs. partial continuum of care in the treatment of publicly funded substance abusers in Washington State
James R McKay
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA
Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 28:307-38. 2002
..study evaluated the relative effectiveness of two forms of publicly funded substance abuse treatment provided in Washington State: The full continuum (FC), in which clients receive approximately three weeks of inpatient treatment prior ..
- Effect of racial/ethnic misclassification of American Indians and Alaskan Natives on Washington State death certificates, 1989-1997
Northwest Tribal Epidemiology Center The EpiCenter, Northwest Portland Area Indian Health Board, 527 SW Hall, Suite 300, Portland, OR 97201, USA
Am J Public Health 92:443-4. 2002
This study examined effects of racial/ethnic misclassification of American Indians and Alaskan Natives on Washington State death certificates.
- Cesarean delivery and postpartum mortality among primiparas in Washington State, 1987-1996(1)
Department of Health Services, School of Public Health and Community Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Obstet Gynecol 97:169-74. 2001
..To examine the association between delivery method and mortality within 6 months of delivery among primiparas...
- Bringing the human genome and the revolution in bioinformatics to the medical school classroom: a case report from Washington University School of Medicine
Medical Scientist Training Program, Division of Biology and Biomedical Sciences, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri 63110-6666, USA
Acad Med 76:852-5. 2001
..At Washington University School of Medicine (WUSM), the authors designed a module for teaching these skills to first-year ..
- Speech and voice outcomes in oropharyngeal cancer and evaluation of the University of Washington Quality of Life speech domain
Alderhey Hospital, Liverpool, UK
Clin Otolaryngol 34:34-42. 2009
..Radical treatment of oropharyngeal cancer can have significant impact on speech & voice outcomes...
- Relationship between visits to emergency departments for asthma and ozone exposure in greater Seattle, Washington
Therese F Mar
Department of Environmental and Occupational Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 103:474-9. 2009
..Air pollution is known to affect asthma symptoms in controlled and epidemiologic studies...
- Language preference and non-traumatic low back disorders in Washington State workers' compensation
David K Bonauto
Safety and Health Assessment and Research for Prevention Program, Washington State Department of Labor and Industries, Olympia, Washington 98504 4330, USA
Am J Ind Med 53:204-15. 2010
..Workers in the United States with limited English proficiency likely perform more hazardous work, experience higher rates of work-related injury and illness, and have worse disability outcomes...
- Spatial and temporal patterns in the microbial diversity of a meromictic soda lake in Washington State
Pedro A Dimitriu
Biological Sciences Department, University of Missouri Rolla, Rolla, Missouri 65409 11201, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 74:4877-88. 2008
- Accuracy of external cause of injury codes reported in Washington State hospital discharge records
Washington State Department of Health, Injury Prevention Program, Olympia, USA
Inj Prev 7:334-8. 2001
..To evaluate the accuracy of external cause of injury codes (E codes) reported in computerized hospital discharge records...
- The effects of seston lipids on zooplankton fatty acid composition in Lake Washington, Washington, USA
Joseph L Ravet
Department of Civil Engineering, Box 352700, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195 2700, USA
Ecology 91:180-90. 2010
We collected suspended particulate matter (seston) and zooplankton samples from Lake Washington in Seattle, Washington, U.S.A...
- Characteristics of patients with chronic pain accessing treatment with medical cannabis in Washington State
Sunil K Aggarwal
University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
J Opioid Manag 5:257-86. 2009
..This study was conducted to better understand the characteristics of chronic pain patients seeking treatment with medicinal cannabis (MC)...
- Perceptions of environmental and occupational health hazards among agricultural workers in Washington State
Jonathan N Hofmann
Department of Epidemiology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
AAOHN J 57:359-71. 2009
..Interviews were conducted with 389 agricultural workers in the Yakima Valley of central Washington State in the summers of 2004 and 2005...
- Workers' compensation claims for needlestick injuries among healthcare workers in Washington State, 1996-2000
Syed M Shah
Safety and Health Assessment and Research for Prevention SHARP Program, Washington State Department of Labor and Industries, Olympia, Washington, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 26:775-81. 2005
To characterize accepted workers' compensation claims for needlestick injuries filed by healthcare workers (HCWs) in non-hospital compared with hospital settings in Washington State.
- Academic degrees and clinical practice characteristics: the University of Washington physician assistant program: 1969-2000
Timothy C Evans
Department of Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington 98105, USA
J Rural Health 22:212-9. 2006
..The physician assistant profession has been moving toward requiring master's degrees for new practitioners, but some argue this could change the face of the discipline...
- Outcomes of planned home births in Washington State: 1989-1996
Jenny W Y Pang
Department of Epidemiology, University of Washington School of Public Health and Community Medicine, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
Obstet Gynecol 100:253-9. 2002
To determine whether there was a difference between planned home births and planned hospital births in Washington State with regard to certain adverse infant outcomes (neonatal death, low Apgar score, need for ventilator support) and ..
- Meeting the needs of regional minority groups: the University of Washington's programs to increase the American Indian and Alaskan native physician workforce
University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington 98195 7430, USA
Acad Med 81:863-70. 2006
..The University of Washington School of Medicine (UWSOM) is the nation's only medical school that serves a five-state region (Washington, ..
- Percutaneous injuries among dental professionals in Washington State
Syed M Shah
Department of Community Health and Epidemiology, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada
BMC Public Health 6:269. 2006
..This study was conducted to identify the circumstances and equipment related to percutaneous injuries among dental professionals...
- Prevalence of vitamin D insufficiency and clinical associations among veiled East African women in Washington State
Susan D L Reed
Public Health Services Division, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 16:206-13. 2007
..This could in part explain the high prevalence of fatigue, musculoskeletal complaints, and depressive symptoms in this population...
- Elevated Fe(II) and dissolved Fe in hypoxic shelf waters off Oregon and Washington: an enhanced source of iron to coastal upwelling regimes
Maeve C Lohan
School of Earth, Ocean and Environmental Science, University of Plymouth, Plymouth PL4 8AA, United Kingdom
Environ Sci Technol 42:6462-8. 2008
- An oral health curriculum for medical students at the University of Washington
Wendy E Mouradian
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, University of Washington School of Dentistry, Seattle, 98195, USA
Acad Med 80:434-42. 2005
..To create an oral health curriculum for medical students at the University of Washington School of Medicine, the authors (beginning in 2003) (1) reviewed current evidence of medical education and ..
- Preventive dental care for young, Medicaid-insured children in Washington state
Division of General Pediatrics, Department of Pediatrics, Child Health Institute, School of Public Health, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
Pediatrics 124:e120-7. 2009
..The Access to the Baby and Childhood Dentistry (ABCD) program of Washington State is targeted to Medicaid-insured children <6 years of age to improve their access to PDC.
- Two nosocomial pertussis outbreaks and their associated costs - King County, Washington, 2004
Henry C Baggett
Communicable Diseases, Epidemiology, and Immunization Section, Public Health, Seattle and King County, WA, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 28:537-43. 2007
..We describe and estimate costs associated with 2 nosocomial pertussis outbreaks in King County, Washington, during the period from July 25 to September 15, 2004...
- Optimum timing of miticide applications for control of Varroa destructor (Acari: Varroidae) in Apis mellifera (Hymenoptera: Apidae) in Washington State, USA
J P Strange
Department of Entomology, Washington State University, Pullman 99164 6382, USA
J Econ Entomol 94:1324-31. 2001
- Maternal occupation in agriculture and risk of limb defects in Washington State, 1980-1993
L S Engel
Department of Epidemiology, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
Scand J Work Environ Health 26:193-8. 2000
..This study examined the association between maternal occupational exposure to agricultural chemicals and the risk of limb defects among offspring...
- Changing patterns of drug and alcohol use in fatally injured drivers in Washington State
Eugene W Schwilke
Washington State Toxicology Laboratory, Forensic Laboratory Services Bureau, Washington State Patrol, 2203 Airport Way S, Seattle, WA 98134
J Forensic Sci 51:1191-8. 2006
We have previously reported on patterns of drug and alcohol use in fatally injured drivers in Washington State. Here we revisit that population to examine how drug use patterns have changed in the intervening 9 years...
- Profile of medical charges for children by health status group and severity level in a Washington State Health Plan
John M Neff
Center for Children with Special Needs, Children s Hospital and Regional Medical Center, Seattle, WA, USA
Health Serv Res 39:73-89. 2004
..Data Sources Enrollment, claims, and charges data from a Washington State health plan. The study population includes all children ages 0 to 18 years during calendar year 1999.
- Orofacial cleft malformations: associations with maternal and infant characteristics in Washington State
Lisa A DeRoo
Office of MCH Programs, Community and Family Health, Washington State Department of Health, Olympia, Washington, USA
Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 67:637-42. 2003
..of orofacial cleft malformations and investigate variations in prevalence according to maternal and infant characteristics, we analyzed a cohort of 298,138 live births delivered between 1987 and 1990 to residents of Washington State.
- Detecting small for gestational age infants: the development of a population-based reference for Washington state
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health and Community Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Am J Perinatol 22:405-12. 2005
..of this study was to develop a birthweight for gestational age reference that more accurately represents the Washington state population, focusing on SGA...
- Hospitalizations for pediatric intoxication in Washington State, 1987-1997
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Washington School of Medicine and Children's Hospital and Regional Medical Center, Seattle, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 155:1105-10. 2001
..during an 11-year period (1987-1997), in the incidence of hospitalization due to intoxication among children in Washington State and circumstances of ingestion, agents used, hospital length of stay, charges, and mortality...
- How family, community, and work structured high blood pressure accounts: from African Americans in Washington State
Doris M Boutain
University of Washington, School of Nursing in the Department of Psychosocial and Community Health, USA
J Holist Nurs 26:173-82; discussion 183-4. 2008
..demographics and paid and unpaid work structured participants' accounts of high blood pressure experiences in Washington State...
- The effect of substance abuse treatment on Medicaid expenditures among general assistance welfare clients in Washington state
Thomas M Wickizer
Department of Health Services, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 7660, USA
Milbank Q 84:555-76. 2006
..in medical care expenditures (primarily Medicaid expenses) for General Assistance (GA) welfare clients in Washington State. The treatment group included 3,235 GA clients who received treatment during 2000 or 2001...
- The long-term effect of an innovative family physician curricular pathway on the specialty and location of graduates of the University of Washington
T J Phillips
Department of Family Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, USA
Acad Med 74:285-8. 1999
..To report the specialty and rural/urban distribution a mean of 19 years after graduation for a cohort of students from a family physician curricular pathway...
- A new oral health elective for medical students at the University of Washington
Wendy E Mouradian
Pediatric Dentistry Dental Public Health Sciences, Health Services, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
Teach Learn Med 18:336-42. 2006
..Oral health is an important but inadequately addressed area in medical school curricula. Primary care practitioners are in an ideal position to help prevent oral disease but lack the knowledge to do so...
- New distribution records of mosquitoes in eastern Washington State
Wade H Petersen
Washington State University, Department of Entomology, PO Box 646382 FSHN 166, Pullman, WA 99164 6382, USA
J Am Mosq Control Assoc 26:88-90. 2010
The records of mosquito species in eastern Washington State are sparse, relative to other areas of the state...
- Washington Clinical Laboratory Initiative: a vision for collaboration and strategic planning for an integrated laboratory system
J M Counts
School of Public Health and Community Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Clin Leadersh Manag Rev 15:97-100. 2001
..The Washington Clinical Laboratory Initiative is an innovative state initiative illustrating that coordinated and integrated ..
- A data driven process in Washington State to improve systems of care for children with special health care needs: the National Survey of CSHCN
Stacey De Fries
Office of Maternal and Child Health, Washington State Department of Health, Olympia, Washington, USA
Matern Child Health J 9:S117-20. 2005
..This is not a research report...
- Trends in adoption of electronic health records by family physicians in Washington State
Glen R Stream
Clinical Information Services, Rockwood Clinic, 14408 East Sprague Avenue, Spokane, Washington 99216, USA
Inform Prim Care 17:145-52. 2009
..is encouraged by health plans, government agencies, and both the American Academy of Family Physicians and the Washington Academy of Family Physicians (WAFP), but rates of EHR adoption by family physicians in Washington were ..
- Isolation and characterization of a rhabdovirus from starry flounder (Platichthys stellatus) collected from the northern portion of Puget Sound, Washington, USA
University of Washington Friday Harbour Laboratories, 620 University Road, Friday Harbour, WA 98250, USA
J Gen Virol 85:495-505. 2004
..stellatus) collected during a viral survey of marine fishes from the northern portion of Puget Sound, Washington, USA, is reported...
- Sulfur-oxidizing bacteria in Soap Lake (Washington State), a meromictic, haloalkaline lake with an unprecedented high sulfide content
Dimitry Y Sorokin
Department of Biotechnology, Delft University of Technology, 2628 BC Delft, The Netherlands
Appl Environ Microbiol 73:451-5. 2007
..techniques were used to study the diversity of chemolithoautotrophic sulfur-oxidizing bacteria in Soap Lake (Washington State), a meromictic, haloalkaline lake containing an unprecedentedly high sulfide concentration in the anoxic ..
- Blood cholinesterases from Washington State orchard workers
Barry W Wilson
Department of Animal Science and Department Environmental Toxicology, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 83:59-61. 2009
Court-ordered monitoring of blood cholinesterases (ChEs) from orchard workers in Washington State is underway. In 2008, the mean red blood cell acetylcholinesterase (AChE, EC 22.214.171.124) activity was 9.65 +/- 1...
- The economic burden of carpal tunnel syndrome: long-term earnings of CTS claimants in Washington State
Safety and Health Assessment and Research for Prevention SHARP Program, Washington State Department of Labor and Industries, Olympia, Washington 98504 4330, USA
Am J Ind Med 50:155-72. 2007
..The post-claim earnings of a cohort of carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) claimants are tracked over a period of 6 years and compared to the earnings of claimants with either upper extremity fractures or dermatitis...
- Use of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) by Washington State hospices
Leila E Kozak
Bastyr University Research Center, 14500 Juanita Drive NE, Kenmore, WA 98028, USA
Am J Hosp Palliat Care 25:463-8. 2008
To assess the use of complementary and alternative medicine in hospice care in the state of Washington.
- Polybrominated diphenyl ether flame retardants in eggs may reduce reproductive success of ospreys in Oregon and Washington, USA
Charles J Henny
US Geological Survey, Forest and Rangeland Ecosystem Science Center, 3200 SW Jefferson Way, Corvallis, OR, 97331, USA
Ecotoxicology 18:802-13. 2009
..The eggs were collected from nests along the Columbia, Willamette and Yakima rivers of Oregon (OR) and Washington (WA) and in Puget Sound (WA) between 2002 and 2007...
- Geographic and occupational risk factors for ventricular septal defects: Washington State, 1987-2003
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health and Community Medicine, University of Washington, 1959 NE Pacific Street, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 161:89-95. 2007
..The objective of this study was to address the hypothesis that parents' residence in eastern Washington, a region heavily dominated by the agricultural industry, and employment in agriculturally related occupations ..
- Opioid dosing trends and mortality in Washington State workers' compensation, 1996-2002
Gary M Franklin
Department of Occupational and Environmental Health Sciences, Occupational Epidemiology and Health Outcomes Program, University of Washington School of Public Health and Community Medicine, Seattle, Washington 98103, USA
Am J Ind Med 48:91-9. 2005
..These policy changes occurred despite scanty scientific evidence that chronic use of opioids was safe and effective...
- Aerobic bacterial isolations from harbor seals (Phoca vitulina) stranded in Washington: 1992-2003
Serena K Lockwood
Wolf Hollow Wildlife Rehabilitation Center, 284 Boyce Road, P O Box 391, Friday Harbor, Washington 98250, USA
J Zoo Wildl Med 37:281-91. 2006
..harbor seal (Phoca vitulina) pups and weanlings located in the North Puget Sound and San Juan Islands region of Washington were analyzed retrospectively to determine the most common pathogenic isolates and to describe their ..
- The physician scientist training program in internal medicine at Washington University School of Medicine
Anthony J Muslin
Center for Cardiovascular Research, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Acad Med 84:468-71. 2009
..of talented individuals in academic medicine, the physician scientist training program (PSTP) was established at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis in 2000...
- Fetal alcohol syndrome prevention in Washington State: evidence of success
Susan J Astley
Center on Human Development and Disability, Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health and Community Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle WA, USA
Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 18:344-51. 2004
..With the establishment of the Washington State Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Diagnostic and Prevention Network of clinics, the development of the Fetal Alcohol ..