- Widespread vitamin D deficiency in urban Massachusetts newborns and their mothers
Division of General Pediatrics, Boston Medical Center, 88 E Newton St, Vose 3, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Pediatrics 125:640-7. 2010
To determine vitamin D status and associated factors in a cohort of newly delivered infants and their mothers in Boston, Massachusetts.
- Ambient air pollution and low birth weight in Connecticut and Massachusetts
Michelle L Bell
School of Forestry and Environmental Studies, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut 06511, USA
Environ Health Perspect 115:1118-24. 2007
..Several studies have examined whether air pollution affects birth weight; however results vary and many studies were focused on Southern California or were conducted outside of the United States...
- Lyme disease and preventive behaviors in residents of Nantucket Island, Massachusetts
C B Phillips
Division of Rheumatology, Immunology and Allergy, Robert B Brigham Multipurpose Arthritis and Musculoskeletal Diseases Center, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Am J Prev Med 20:219-24. 2001
..To determine the age-specific prevalence of Lyme disease and whether preventive behaviors on Nantucket Island correlate with Lyme disease, we surveyed island residents...
- Prevalence and incidence of androgen deficiency in middle-aged and older men: estimates from the Massachusetts Male Aging Study
Andre B Araujo
New England Research Institutes, Watertown, Massachusetts 02472, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:5920-6. 2004
..and calculated free testosterone) were available for n = 1691 (baseline) and n = 1087 (follow-up) men from the Massachusetts Male Aging Study. Crude and age-specific prevalence and incidence rates were calculated...
- Health behaviors and quality of life of cancer survivors in Massachusetts, 2006: data use for comprehensive cancer control
Temeika L Fairley
Division of Cancer Prevention and Control, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 7:A09. 2010
..The objective of this study was to use Massachusetts Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS) data to describe cancer survivors' demographics, health ..
- Associations between measures of socioeconomic position and chronic nitrogen dioxide exposure in Worcester, Massachusetts
Jeff D Yanosky
Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
J Toxicol Environ Health A 71:1593-602. 2008
..5 ppb) increase in block group NO(2) concentrations was associated with a $9090 decrease in median household income. Results suggest that on average those with lower SEP experience higher chronic exposure to outdoor NO(2)...
- Population genetic structure of a nonmigratory estuarine fish (Fundulus heteroclitus) across a strong gradient of polychlorinated biphenyl contamination
Shaun A Roark
Department of Zoology, Miami University, Oxford, Ohio 45056, USA
Environ Toxicol Chem 24:717-25. 2005
..heteroclitus indigenous to 18 sites in Massachusetts (USA) and Rhode Island (USA), representing a steep gradient of sediment PCB contamination and culminating in a ..
- A community-based restaurant initiative to increase availability of healthy menu options in Somerville, Massachusetts: Shape Up Somerville
Christina D Economos
New Balance Chair in Childhood Nutrition, John Hancock Center for Physical Activity and Nutrition, Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, 150 Harrison Ave, Tufts University, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 6:A102. 2009
..The purpose of this project was to test the feasibility of a community-based restaurant initiative that targets families and young children...
- Health system and personal barriers resulting in decreased utilization of HIV and STD testing services among at-risk black men who have sex with men in Massachusetts
Matthew J Mimiaga
The Fenway Institute, Fenway Health, Boston, MA 02119, USA
AIDS Patient Care STDS 23:825-35. 2009
..Additional provider training is warranted to educate HCPs about the specific health care needs of Black MSM, in order to facilitate access to timely, culturally competent HIV and STD testing and treatment services for this population...
- Correlates of colorectal cancer testing in Massachusetts men and women
Massachusetts Department of Public Health, Health Survey Program, Sixth Floor, 250 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02108, USA
Prev Med 36:659-68. 2003
..Although CRC screening can reduce CRC mortality, it is underutilized. We examined the association between personal and health care characteristics and CRC testing, defined as being current on any test that meets CRC screening guidelines...
- Cardiovascular disease risk reduction: the Massachusetts WISEWOMAN project
Anne M Stoddard
Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, University of Massachusetts Amherst, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 13:539-46. 2004
This report presents the effectiveness of the Massachusetts Well-Integrated Screening and Evaluation for Women Across the Nation (WISEWOMAN) Project (MWWP) in reducing the cardiovascular disease (CVD) risk of uninsured and underinsured ..
- Understanding the decisions and values of stakeholders in health information exchanges: experiences from Massachusetts
Robert S Rudin
Partners HealthCare System Inc, Boston, MA, USA
Am J Public Health 99:950-5. 2009
..the values) of key stakeholders (health care providers) participating in a health information exchange pilot project in 3 Massachusetts communities. Our aim was to understand how these kinds of information exchanges can be made viable.
- Physicians and electronic health records: a statewide survey
Steven R Simon
Department of Ambulatory Care and Prevention, Harvard Medical School and Harvard Pilgrim Health Care, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Arch Intern Med 167:507-12. 2007
..Electronic health records (EHRs) allow for a variety of functions, ranging from visit documentation to laboratory test ordering, but little is known about physicians' actual use of these functions...
- Drug-eluting or bare-metal stenting in patients with diabetes mellitus: results from the Massachusetts Data Analysis Center Registry
Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Circulation 118:2277-85, 7p following 2285. 2008
..We report on a large consecutive series of patients with DM followed up for 3 years after DES and BMS from a regional contemporary US practice with mandatory reporting...
- Body mass index, waist circumference and waist to hip ratio and change in sex steroid hormones: the Massachusetts Male Ageing Study
Carol A Derby
Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 65:125-31. 2006
..Our objective was to examine the relation of obesity (body mass index > 30 kg/m2), and of central obesity (waist circumference > 100 cm or waist to hip ratio > 0.95) to longitudinal change in sex steroid hormones in men...
- Small-area estimation and prioritizing communities for obesity control in Massachusetts
University of Massachusetts Medical School, 55 Lake Avenue N, Shaw SH2 230, Worcester, MA 01655, USA
Am J Public Health 99:511-9. 2009
..a method to evaluate geographic and temporal variations in community-level obesity prevalence and used that method to identify communities in Massachusetts that should be considered high priority communities for obesity control.
- Translating the diabetes prevention program into a hospital-based weight loss program
Sherry L Pagoto
Department of Medicine, Division of Preventive and Behavioral Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School, MA, USA
Health Psychol 27:S91-8. 2008
..Using the diffusion of innovations model, we describe the adoption of the Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) Lifestyle Intervention into a hospital-based program and report feasibility, acceptability, and outcomes...
- Global warming and flowering times in Thoreau's Concord: a community perspective
Abraham J Miller-Rushing
Department of Biology, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Ecology 89:332-41. 2008
..a series of previously unstudied records of the dates of first flowering for over 500 plant taxa in Concord, Massachusetts, USA...
- Diversity of Francisella species in environmental samples from Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts
Zenda L Berrada
Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine, North Grafton, MA, USA
Microb Ecol 59:277-83. 2010
..are present in water, sediment, and soil from an active tularemia natural focus on Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts, during a multiyear outbreak of pneumonic tularemia...
- Prevalence of Enterocytozoon bieneusi in swine: an 18-month survey at a slaughterhouse in Massachusetts
Michael A Buckholt
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Biomedical Sciences, Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine, North Grafton, Massachusetts 01536, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 68:2595-9. 2002
..The viability of these spores was demonstrated by their ability to infect gnotobiotic piglets. The presence of the infection in liver was shown by in situ hybridization...
- Spatial-temporal analysis of breast cancer in upper Cape Cod, Massachusetts
VERONICA M VIEIRA
Department of Environmental Health, Boston University School of Public Health, Talbot 4W, 715 Albany Street, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Int J Health Geogr 7:46. 2008
The reasons for elevated breast cancer rates in the upper Cape Cod area of Massachusetts remain unknown despite several epidemiological studies that investigated possible environmental risk factors...
- Performance of the UK Prospective Diabetes Study Risk Engine and the Framingham Risk Equations in Estimating Cardiovascular Disease in the EPIC- Norfolk Cohort
Rebecca K Simmons
1MRC Epidemiology Unit, Cambridge, UK
Diabetes Care 32:708-13. 2009
..0%; and 3) individuals with normoglycemia defined as A1C <6.0%...
- Noninvasive positive-pressure ventilation in acute respiratory failure outside clinical trials: experience at the Massachusetts General Hospital
Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Crit Care Med 36:441-7. 2008
..However, few data are available on the use of NPPV as routine standard medical care for patients with respiratory failure outside of controlled trials...
- The incidence of varicella and herpes zoster in Massachusetts as measured by the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS) during a period of increasing varicella vaccine coverage, 1998-2003
W Katherine Yih
Department of Ambulatory Care and Prevention, Harvard Medical School and Harvard Pilgrim Health Care, Boston, USA
BMC Public Health 5:68. 2005
..While varicella incidence would be expected to decrease, mathematical models predict an initial increase in herpes zoster incidence if re-exposure to varicella protects against reactivation of the varicella zoster virus...
- Stroke center designation can be achieved by small hospitals: the Massachusetts experience
Eric E Smith
Department of Neurology, Stroke Service, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Crit Pathw Cardiol 7:173-7. 2008
In January 2005, the Massachusetts Department of Public Health announced the designation of approved hospitals as Primary Stroke Services (PSS), based on verifiable demonstration of care pathways for acute ischemic stroke...
- A case-control study of childhood leukemia in Woburn, Massachusetts: the relationship between leukemia incidence and exposure to public drinking water
Bureau of Environmental Health Assessment, 250 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02108 4619, USA
Sci Total Environ 300:23-35. 2002
A 1981 Massachusetts Department of Public Health study confirmed a childhood leukemia cluster in Woburn, Massachusetts. Our follow-up investigation attempts to identify factors potentially responsible for the cluster...
- A new surrogate variable for erectile dysfunction status in the Massachusetts male aging study
K P Kleinman
New England Research Institutes Inc, Watertown, MA 02472, USA
J Clin Epidemiol 53:71-8. 2000
..The Massachusetts Male Aging Study (MMAS) addressed this important aspect of men's health...
- Massachusetts Youth Screening Instrument for mental health needs of juvenile justice youths
Department of Psychiatry, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester 01655, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 40:541-8. 2001
OBJECTIVE: This report describes the development of the Massachusetts Youth Screening Instrument-Second Version (MAYSI-2), a brief screening measure to identify youths with potential mental, emotional, or behavioral problems at entry ..
- Unmet need among children with special health care needs in Massachusetts
Kristen S Hill
Center for Child and Adolescent Health Policy, Massachusetts General Hospital for Children, 50 Staniford Street, Suite 901, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Matern Child Health J 12:650-61. 2008
We partnered with a Massachusetts family workgroup to analyze state level data that would be most useful to consumers and advocates in Massachusetts.
- A population-based study of maternal and perinatal outcomes associated with assisted reproductive technology in Massachusetts
Laura A Schieve
Division of Reproductive Health, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Matern Child Health J 11:517-25. 2007
..To assess associations between assisted reproductive technology (ART) and adverse maternal and infant outcomes, with an emphasis on singletons...
- Vitamin B6 is associated with depressive symptomatology in Massachusetts elders
Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Am Coll Nutr 27:421-7. 2008
..concentrations (PLP) with depressive symptomatology among a representative sample of 618 elderly Caribbean Hispanics, and a neighborhood based comparison group of 251 non-Hispanic white (NHW) older adults in Massachusetts.
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease hospitalization rates in Massachusetts: a trend analysis
Research Institute for a Tobacco Free Society, Dublin 8, Ireland
QJM 103:163-8. 2010
..b>Massachusetts introduced a comprehensive Tobacco Control Program (MTCP) in January 1993...
- Readiness for electronic health records: comparison of characteristics of practices in a collaborative with the remainder of Massachusetts
Steven R Simon
Department of Ambulatory Care and Prevention, Harvard Medical School and Harvard Pilgrim Health Care, 133 Brookline Avenue, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Inform Prim Care 16:129-37. 2008
The Massachusetts e-Health Collaborative (MAeHC) is implementing electronic health records (EHRs) in physicians' offices throughout three diverse communities...
- The effect of changes in adiposity on testosterone levels in older men: longitudinal results from the Massachusetts Male Aging Study
Beth A Mohr
New England Research Institutes, 9 Galen Street, Watertown, Massachusetts 02472, USA
Eur J Endocrinol 155:443-52. 2006
..We aimed to determine whether changes in adiposity predict follow-up levels and rates of change in TT, FT and sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) in men...
- Modifiers of short-term effects of ozone on mortality in eastern Massachusetts--a case-crossover analysis at individual level
Department of Environmental Health, Harvard School of Public Health, Landmark Center, West, 4th Floor, 401 Park Street, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Environ Health 9:3. 2010
..A few studies simply examine the modification of this ozone effect by individual characteristics and socioeconomic status, but socioeconomic status was usually coded at the city level...
- Cancer incidence among male Massachusetts firefighters, 1987-2003
Department of Preventive and Occupational Medicine, Pusan National University School of Medicine, Busan, Korea
Am J Ind Med 51:329-35. 2008
..Firefighters are known to be exposed to recognized or probable carcinogens. Previous studies have found elevated risks of several types of cancers in firefighters...
- The primary care physician workforce in Massachusetts: implications for the workforce in rural, small town America
Department of Family Medicine and Community Health, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, Massachusetts, USA
J Rural Health 24:375-83. 2008
..Small towns across the United States struggle to maintain an adequate primary care workforce...
- Health care access and sexually transmitted infection screening frequency among at-risk Massachusetts men who have sex with men
Carey V Johnson
The Fenway Institute, Fenway Community Health, 7 Haviland St, Boston, MA 02115 2683, USA
Am J Public Health 99:S187-92. 2009
We sought to assess risk exposures, health care access, and screening rates for HIV and sexually transmitted infections (STIs) among men who have sex with men (MSM) in Massachusetts.
- Poor iron status is more prevalent in Hispanic than in non-Hispanic white older adults in Massachusetts
Erin L Seaverson
Jean Mayer US Department of Agriculture Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging, Tufts University, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Nutr 137:414-20. 2007
..Six hundred four Hispanic and non-Hispanic white adults (59-91 y of age) from the Massachusetts Hispanic Elders Study were included in the analysis...
- Local restaurant smoking regulations and the adolescent smoking initiation process: results of a multilevel contextual analysis among Massachusetts youth
Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences, Boston University School of Public Health, 715 Albany St, TW2, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 162:477-83. 2008
..To assess whether smoke-free restaurant laws influence the progression from (1) never smoking to early experimentation and (2) early experimentation to established smoking...
- Tobacco availability and point of sale marketing in demographically contrasting districts of Massachusetts
M Barton Laws
The Center for Research on Culture and Health, Latin American Health Institute, 95 Berkeley Street, Boston, MA 02116, USA
Tob Control 11:ii71-3. 2002
- Small-area estimation and prioritizing communities for tobacco control efforts in Massachusetts
Division of Preventive and Behavioral Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Shaw Building, SH2 230, 55 Lake Ave N, Worcester, MA 01655, USA
Am J Public Health 99:470-9. 2009
..geographic and temporal variations in community-level risk factors and prevalence estimates, and used that method to identify communities in Massachusetts that should be considered high priority communities for smoking interventions.
- Frequent users of Massachusetts emergency departments: a statewide analysis
Kathleen Kerwin Fuda
Massachusetts Division of Health Care Finance and Policy, Boston, MA
Ann Emerg Med 48:9-16. 2006
..We describe the epidemiology of frequent users of emergency departments (EDs), using a statewide dataset derived from linked ED, observation stay, and inpatient hospital discharge databases...
- Clinically significant depressive symptoms as a risk factor for HIV infection among black MSM in Massachusetts
Sari L Reisner
The Fenway Institute, Fenway Health, 1340 Boylston Street, 8th Floor, Boston, MA 02215, USA
AIDS Behav 13:798-810. 2009
..HIV prevention interventions for Black MSM may benefit from incorporating screening and/or treatment for depression, allowing MSM who are depressed to respond more effectively to behavioral change approaches...
- Asthma symptoms, severity, and drug therapy: a prospective study of effects on 2205 pregnancies
Michael B Bracken
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
Obstet Gynecol 102:739-52. 2003
..To prospectively examine in pregnant women whether asthma or asthma therapy influenced preterm delivery, intrauterine grown restriction (IUGR), or birthweight...
- Relation between psychosocial risk factors and incident erectile dysfunction: prospective results from the Massachusetts Male Aging Study
A B Araujo
New England Research Institutes, Watertown, MA 02472, USA
Am J Epidemiol 152:533-41. 2000
..Longitudinal data obtained from 776 respondents in the Massachusetts Male Aging Study (1987-1997) were used to examine whether the presence of depressive symptoms, the way in ..
- Readiness for the Patient-Centered Medical Home: structural capabilities of Massachusetts primary care practices
Mark W Friedberg
Division of General Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
J Gen Intern Med 24:162-9. 2009
..The extent to which different types of primary care practices have adopted these capabilities has not been previously studied...
- Improved contemporary surgical management of insulinomas: a 25-year experience at the Massachusetts General Hospital
Department of Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital Harvard Medical School, 55 Fruit Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Ann Surg 247:165-72. 2008
..To determine changes in the management strategy of patients with insulinomas and identify critical factors in patient outcome...
- Perfluorinated compounds in human milk from Massachusetts, U.S.A
Wadsworth Center, New York State Department of Health, Albany, New York, USA
Environ Sci Technol 42:3096-101. 2008
..In this study, nine PFCs were measured in 45 human breast milk samples collected in 2004 from Massachusetts, U.S.A. PFOS and PFOA were the predominant PFCs found at mean concentrations of 131 and 43...
- Impact of tetrachloroethylene-contaminated drinking water on the risk of breast cancer: using a dose model to assess exposure in a case-control study
Department of Epidemiology, Boston University School of Public Health, 715 Albany Street, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Environ Health 4:3. 2005
..exposure from public drinking water and breast cancer among permanent residents of the Cape Cod region of Massachusetts. PCE, a volatile organic chemical, leached from the vinyl lining of certain water distribution pipes into ..
- Racial disparities in context: a multilevel analysis of neighborhood variations in poverty and excess mortality among black populations in Massachusetts
S V Subramanian
Department of Society, Human Development and Health, Harvard School of Public Health, 677 Huntington Ave, KRESGE 7th Floor, Boston MA 02115 6096, USA
Am J Public Health 95:260-5. 2005
..We analyzed neighborhood heterogeneity in associations among mortality, race/ethnicity, and area poverty...
- Epidemiology of congenital toxoplasmosis identified by population-based newborn screening in Massachusetts
Bureau of Communicable Disease Control, Massachusetts Department of Public Health, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 20:1132-5. 2001
BACKGROUND: Fourteen years of newborn screening in Massachusetts for congenital toxoplasmosis infection identified subpopulations that appeared to have higher rates of infection...
- Usefulness of prescription monitoring programs for surveillance--analysis of Schedule II opioid prescription data in Massachusetts, 1996-2006
Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 19:115-23. 2010
..We analyze herein 11 years of Massachusetts PMP data to evaluate trends in opioid prescribing, dispensing, and usage.
- Seasonal variation in household, occupational, and leisure time physical activity: longitudinal analyses from the seasonal variation of blood cholesterol study
C E Matthews
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, University of South Carolina, Columbia 29208, USA
Am J Epidemiol 153:172-83. 2001
..seasonal variation in physical activity in longitudinal analyses of 580 healthy adults from Worcester, Massachusetts (the Seasonal Variation of Blood Cholesterol Study, 1994-1998)...
- Comparing individual- and area-based socioeconomic measures for the surveillance of health disparities: A multilevel analysis of Massachusetts births, 1989-1991
S V Subramanian
Department of Society, Human Development, and Health, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115 6096, USA
Am J Epidemiol 164:823-34. 2006
..Using the 1989-1991 birth weight data from Massachusetts, the authors compared estimates of health disparities detected with census tract- and block group-level ABSMs ..
- Recency of immigration, substance use, and sexual behavior among Massachusetts adolescents
S M Blake
George Washington University School of Public Health and Health Services, 2175 K St, NW, Suite 700, Washington, DC 20037, USA
Am J Public Health 91:794-8. 2001
..METHODS: Surveys were conducted with 2635 Massachusetts 8th and 10th graders that allowed comparisons of health behaviors and risk and protective factors among ..
- The effects of socioeconomic status and indices of physical environment on reduced birth weight and preterm births in Eastern Massachusetts
Department of Environmental Health, Harvard School of Public Health, Harvard University, Landmark Suite 415 West, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Environ Health 7:60. 2008
..While use of spatial methods to estimate exposure to air pollution has increased the power to detect effects, questions have been raised about potential for confounding by social factors...
- Hispanic and non-Hispanic white elders from Massachusetts have different patterns of carotenoid intake and plasma concentrations
Odilia I Bermudez
Jean Mayer U S Department of Agriculture Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Nutr 135:1496-502. 2005
..examined carotenoid intake of 340 Puerto Ricans, 98 Dominicans, and 146 non-Hispanic whites (>60 y old) in Massachusetts. Compared with non-Hispanic white men, Hispanic men reported a higher intake of lycopene and lower intakes of ..
- Obesity and the built environment among Massachusetts children
Nicolas M Oreskovic
Department of Internal Medicine, Center for Child and Adolescent Health Policy, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Clin Pediatr (Phila) 48:904-12. 2009
..The built environment may influence weight status...
- Community-wide implementation of health information technology: the Massachusetts eHealth Collaborative experience
Allan H Goroll
Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts General Hospital, Medical Service, 15 Parkman Street, Suite 645, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 16:132-9. 2009
The Massachusetts eHealth Collaborative (MAeHC) was formed to improve patient safety and quality of care by promoting the use of health information technology through community-based implementation of electronic health records (EHRs) and ..
- Quality of life assessments by adult substance abusers receiving publicly funded treatment in Massachusetts
Kevin W Smith
New England Research Institutes, Inc, Watertown, Massachusetts 02472, USA
Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 29:323-35. 2003
..The purpose of this study was to measure QOL in a large sample of adult substance abusers (SA), to compare QOL ratings with those for other chronic diseases, and to assess factors influencing QOL levels in this population...
- Tobacco use among Massachusetts youth: is tobacco control working?
Health and Addictions Research, Inc, Boston, Massachusetts 02116, USA
Prev Med 31:287-95. 2000
This paper examines whether the Massachusetts Tobacco Control Program is affecting the rates of smoking and smokeless tobacco use among Massachusetts' youth.
- Sexual mixing patterns and partner characteristics of black MSM in Massachusetts at increased risk for HIV infection and transmission
Matthew J Mimiaga
The Fenway Institute, Fenway Community Health, 1340 Boylston Street, Boston, MA 02215, USA
J Urban Health 86:602-23. 2009
..Effective prevention strategies need to address the distinct sexual and behavioral risk patterns presented by different sexual partnerships reported by Black MSM...
- Sustainability of public health programs: the example of tobacco treatment services in Massachusetts
Nancy R LaPelle
Division of Preventive and Behavioral Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA 01655, USA nancy
Am J Public Health 96:1363-9. 2006
..Understanding these strategies and developing them at a time when program funding is not being threatened is likely to increase program sustainability...
- A case study of contaminants on military ranges: Camp Edwards, Massachusetts, USA
AMEC Earth and Environmental, 239 Littleton Road, Suite 1B, Westford MA 01886, USA
Environ Pollut 129:13-21. 2004
An extensive investigation at the Camp Edwards, Massachusetts Military Reservation (MMR) demonstrates that assessment of groundwater and soil contamination at military ranges can be limited primarily to explosive-related compounds such ..
- Differences in knowledge of hepatitis B among Vietnamese, African-American, Hispanic, and white adolescents in Worcester, Massachusetts
J M Wiecha
Department of Family Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Pediatrics 104:1212-6. 1999
..To assess the level of knowledge about hepatitis B of Vietnamese adolescents, a group at high risk for hepatitis B, and compare it to the knowledge of adolescents of other races and ethnicities...
- Hospital use and associated costs of children aged zero-to-two years with craniofacial malformations in Massachusetts
Boston University School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 85:925-34. 2009
..However, population-based data on hospital utilization and costs are sparse...
- Presence and prevalence of viruses in local and migratory honeybees (Apis mellifera) in Massachusetts
Department of Plant, Soil, and Insect Sciences, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Fernald Hall, 270 Stockbridge Rd, Amherst, MA 01003, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 75:7862-5. 2009
Migratory and local bees in Massachusetts were analyzed for seven viruses. Three were detected: black queen cell virus (BQCV), deformed wing virus (DWV), and sacbrood virus (SBV)...
- The path to active living: physical activity through community design in Somerville, Massachusetts
Noreen M Burke
Public Health Department, City of Somerville, Massachusetts
Am J Prev Med 37:S386-94. 2009
Somerville, Massachusetts, an ethnically diverse, urban community northwest of Boston, presents opportunities and challenges for active living...
- The third wave of Massachusetts health care access reform
John E McDonough
Health Care for All, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 25:w420-31. 2006
In April 2006, Massachusetts passed its third major health care access reform law since 1988. This law establishes new structures and requirements that have never been attempted by any state...
- Environmental and economic evaluation of the Massachusetts Smoke-Free Workplace Law
Hillel R Alpert
Harvard School of Public Health, Division of Public Health Practice, Tobacco Research Program, 401 Park Drive, Landmark Building, Floor 3E, Boston, MA 02215, USA
J Community Health 32:269-81. 2007
An environmental and economic evaluation of the smoke-free law in Massachusetts provides a broad appreciation of how a state-wide smoking ban affects the health of patrons and workers as well as the industries that are commonly concerned ..
- Massachusetts health reform implementation: major progress and future challenges
John E McDonough
Health Care For All in Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 27:w285-97. 2008
Since its passage in April 2006, the Massachusetts health reform law (Chapter 58) has expanded affordable insurance coverage to 355,000 people...
- Breaking the alliance: Defeating the tobacco industry's allies and enacting youth access restrictions in Massachusetts
Brent S Andersen
Department of Community Health Studies, School of Public Health and Health Sciences, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, 01003 9304, USA
Am J Public Health 93:1922-8. 2003
We describe the tobacco industry's effort in Massachusetts to block the adoption of local regulations designed to reduce youth access to tobacco products...
- Pregnancy-associated mortality at the end of the twentieth century: Massachusetts, 1990-1999
Bureau of Family and Community Health, Massachusetts Department of Public Health, USA
J Am Med Womens Assoc 57:140-3. 2002
1) to report Massachusetts pregnancy-associated mortality ratios (PAMRs) and maternal mortality ratios (MMRs) from 1990 to 1999 and pregnancy-related mortality ratios (PRMRs) from 1995 to 1999; 2) to identify disparities in PAMRs by race ..
- Effect of local youth-access regulations on progression to established smoking among youths in Massachusetts
Carey Conley Thomson
Tobacco Research and Treatment Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Tob Control 16:119-26. 2007
..To test whether community-level restrictions on youth access to tobacco (including both ordinances and enforcement) are associated with less smoking initiation or less progression to established smoking among adolescents...
- Long-term clinical outcomes after drug-eluting and bare-metal stenting in Massachusetts
MSc, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 75 Francis St, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Circulation 118:1817-27. 2008
..We sought to compare the clinical outcome of patients treated with DES with that of BMS...
- Organochlorine exposures during pregnancy and infant size at birth
Sharon K Sagiv
Department of Environmental Health, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Epidemiology 18:120-9. 2007
..Organochlorines, including polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) and pesticides, are environmentally persistent contaminants that concentrate in the food chain as well in human adipose tissue and readily cross the placenta...
- Tobacco use by Massachusetts public college students: long term effect of the Massachusetts Tobacco Control Program
N A Rigotti
Tobacco Research and Treatment Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, 50 Staniford Street, 9th Floor, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Tob Control 11:ii20-4. 2002
To assess tobacco use among Massachusetts public college students and compare students who attended high school in Massachusetts and were exposed to the Massachusetts Tobacco Control Program (MTCP) with students who attended high school ..
- Firefighter heart presumption retirements in Massachusetts 1997-2004
Jonathan D Holder
The Cambridge Health Alliance, Harvard Medical School, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
J Occup Environ Med 48:1047-53. 2006
quot;Heart Presumption" legislation is common throughout North America. We sought to study Massachusetts firefighters retiring with heart disability awards.
- Piloting nursing-sensitive hospital care measures in Massachusetts
David P Smith
Health Data Analysis and Research, Massachusetts Hospital Association, Burlington, MA 01803, USA
J Nurs Care Qual 23:23-33. 2008
Under the umbrella of the Massachusetts Hospital Association and Massachusetts Organization of Nurse Executives Patients First Initiative, Massachusetts hospitals tested a subset of NQF-endorsed nursing-sensitive care measures in 2006...
- Economic effect of restaurant smoking restrictions on restaurant business in Massachusetts, 1992 to 1998
William J Bartosch
Center for Health Economics Research, 411 Waverley Oaks Road, Suite 330, Waltham, MA 02452, USA
Tob Control 11:ii38-42. 2002
..To determine if restaurant business declines or improves after the implementation of restrictive restaurant smoking policies...
- Influence of traffic patterns on particulate matter and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon concentrations in Roxbury, Massachusetts
Jonathan I Levy
Department of Environmental Health, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02215, USA
J Expo Anal Environ Epidemiol 13:364-71. 2003
..5) at a number of sites in Roxbury, a neighborhood of Boston, Massachusetts with significant diesel and gasoline-fueled traffic...
- Gender, economic context, perceptions of safety, and quality of life: a case study of Lowell, Massachusetts (U.S.A.), 1982-96
Department of Psychology, University of Massachusetts at Lowell, 01854 3043, USA
Am J Community Psychol 30:655-79. 2002
..1996, 840 structured interviews about urban quality of life (QOL) were conducted with residents of Lowell, Massachusetts, by graduate students in a seminar about the city...
- A retrospective evaluation of completion rates, total cost, and adverse effects for treatment of latent tuberculosis infection in a public health clinic in central massachusetts
Department of Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, Massachusetts 01655, USA
Clin Infect Dis 49:424-7. 2009
Completion rates, total cost, and adverse effects were compared for patients in central Massachusetts treated for latent tuberculosis infection with 9 months of isoniazid or 4 months of rifampin...
- Sun protection policies and practices at child care centers in Massachusetts
Stacey A Kenfield
Epidemiology Department, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA
J Community Health 30:491-503. 2005
We assessed the relationship between sun protection policies and practices at child care centers in Massachusetts. We hypothesized that centers with sun protection policies were more likely to have regular sun protection practices in ..
- Moderately premature infants at Kaiser Permanente Medical Care Program in California are discharged home earlier than their peers in Massachusetts and the United Kingdom
Harvard Newborn Medicine Program, Children s Hospital Boston and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 91:F245-50. 2006
To compare gestational age at discharge between infants born at 30-34(+6) weeks gestational age who were admitted to neonatal intensive care units (NICUs) in California, Massachusetts, and the United Kingdom.
- War trauma experience and behavioral screening of Bosnian refugee children resettled in Massachusetts
P L Geltman
Division of Community Pediatrics, Boston University School of Medicine, Massachusetts, USA
J Dev Behav Pediatr 21:255-61. 2000
The authors assessed war violence exposure and behavioral symptoms in Bosnian refugee children in Massachusetts and the utility of behavioral screening of refugees during the Refugee Health Assessment (RHA), required of newly arrived ..
- The health of normally aging men: The Massachusetts Male Aging Study (1987-2004)
Amy B O'Donnell
New England Research Institutes, 9 Galen Street, Watertown, MA 02472, USA
Exp Gerontol 39:975-84. 2004
- The androgen receptor gene CAG repeat polymorphism does not predict increased risk of heart disease: longitudinal results from the Massachusetts Male Ageing Study
Stephanie T Page
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 65:333-9. 2006
..Longer, less androgenic CAG repeats have been associated with higher high-density lipoprotein (HDL) levels, which might protect against HD. Therefore, we hypothesized that CAG repeat length contributes to HD risk in men...
- Establishing a practice-based research network: lessons from the Massachusetts experience
Boston College Connell School of Nursing, 140 Commonwealth Ave, Chestnut Hill, MA 02467, USA
J Sch Health 78:172-4. 2008
- Food Stamp Program participation but not food insecurity is associated with higher adult BMI in Massachusetts residents living in low-income neighbourhoods
Amy L Webb
Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA
Public Health Nutr 11:1248-55. 2008
..The objective of the present study was to examine whether food insecurity and strategies for managing food insecurity are associated with BMI in adults...
- Multiple levels of influence in the adoption of sun protection policies in elementary schools in Massachusetts
Alan C Geller
RN, Department of Dermatology, Boston University School of Medicine, 720 Harrison Ave, DOB801A, Boston MA 02118, USA
Arch Dermatol 144:491-6. 2008
..To understand the factors that may influence sun protection policy development if the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines are to be realized...
- Beyond anal sex: sexual practices associated with HIV risk reduction among men who have sex with men in Boston, Massachusetts
Sari L Reisner
The Fenway Institute, Fenway Community Health, Boston, Massachusetts 02119, USA
AIDS Patient Care STDS 23:545-50. 2009
..the frequency and associations of sexual risk reduction behaviors among a sample of MSM in the greater Boston, Massachusetts area...
- Diffusion of effective HIV prevention interventions--lessons from Maryland and Massachusetts
Madeleine A Shea
Maryland AIDS Administration, Baltimore, USA
AIDS Educ Prev 18:96-107. 2006
..describes, compares, and contrasts the contexts, processes, and results of the experiences of Maryland and Massachusetts in diffusing evidence-based interventions...
- Eastern equine encephalitis in Massachusetts: a report of 16 cases, 1970-1984
M M Przelomski
Vernon Medical Center, Worcester, MA 01604
Neurology 38:736-9. 1988
We studied the case records of 16 patients with eastern equine encephalitis (EEE) in Massachusetts from 1970 to 1984 and compared their presentations, courses, and outcomes with the data available from previous epidemics...
- Dinoflagellate cyst records and human disturbance in two neighboring estuaries, New Bedford Harbor and Apponagansett Bay, Massachusetts (USA)
Department of Geography and Centre for Climate and Global Change Research, McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada
Sci Total Environ 298:81-102. 2002
..The decline of species richness and the large fluctuations in the total cyst abundances signal the intensified anthropogenic disturbance in the watershed, notably a high degree of eutrophication and toxic pollution...
- Massachusetts registered dietitians' knowledge, attitudes, opinions, personal use, and recommendations to clients about herbal supplements
Linda S Cashman
Department of Nutrition, South Shore Hospital, South Weymouth, MA 02190 2455, USA
J Altern Complement Med 9:735-46. 2003
To assess the knowledge, personal use and recommendations of herbal supplements among registered dietitians (RDs) in Massachusetts.
- Is there a relationship between sex hormones and erectile dysfunction? Results from the Massachusetts Male Aging Study
New England Research Institutes, 9 Galen Street, Watertown, MA 02472, USA
J Urol 176:2584-8. 2006
..Simultaneously, age related changes occur in male endocrine functioning. We examined the association between erectile dysfunction and total testosterone, bioavailable testosterone, sex hormone-binding globulin and luteinizing hormone...
- Medication reconciliation at Cambridge Health Alliance: experiences of a 3-campus health system in Massachusetts
Harvard Medical School, MA, USA
Am J Med Qual 21:304-6. 2006
- Mortality trends of stranded marine mammals on Cape Cod and southeastern Massachusetts, USA, 2000 to 2006
Andrea L Bogomolni
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Woods Hole, Massachusetts 02543, USA
Dis Aquat Organ 88:143-55. 2010
To understand the cause of death of 405 marine mammals stranded on Cape Cod and southeastern Massachusetts between 2000 and 2006, a system for coding final diagnosis was developed and categorized as (1) disease, (2) human interaction, (3)..
- The SEEDs of two gastrointestinal diseases: socioeconomic, environmental, and demographic factors related to cryptosporidiosis and giardiasis in Massachusetts
Steven A Cohen
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, MD, USA
Environ Res 108:185-91. 2008
..socioeconomic, demographic, and environmental characteristics, and the presence of two potentially waterborne infectious diseases, cryptosporidiosis and giardiasis, as reported to the Massachusetts Department of Public Health.