- Controls on mercury and methylmercury deposition for two watersheds in Acadia National Park, Maine
K B Johnson
Senator George J Mitchell Center for Environmental and Watershed Research, 5710 Norman Smith Hall, University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469, USA
Environ Monit Assess 126:55-67. 2007
Throughfall and bulk precipitation samples were collected for two watersheds at Acadia National Park, Maine, from 3 May to 16 November 2000, to determine which landscape factors affected mercury (Hg) deposition...
- Mercury bioavailability and bioaccumulation in estuarine food webs in the Gulf of Maine
Celia Y Chen
Department of Biological Sciences, HB 6044 Gilman Hall, Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire 03755, USA
Environ Sci Technol 43:1804-10. 2009
..the potential for Hg biotransfer to estuarine food webs across a Hg contamination gradient in the Gulf of Maine. Despite the variation in sediment Hg concentrations across sites (>100 fold), Hg concentrations in biota ..
- Infection and co-infection rates of Anaplasma phagocytophilum variants, Babesia spp., Borrelia burgdorferi, and the rickettsial endosymbiont in Ixodes scapularis (Acari: Ixodidae) from sites in Indiana, Maine, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin
Fresia E Steiner
Department of Biology, Ball State University, Muncie, IN 47306, USA
J Med Entomol 45:289-97. 2008
..burgdorferi in male ticks, which co-occurred less frequently than expected. Thus, I. scapularis hosts an array of pathogenic and symbiotic agents and potential evidence of interactions among microbial species was observed...
- Impact of a primary care intervention on physician practice and patient and family behavior: keep ME Healthy---the Maine Youth Overweight Collaborative
Maine Harvard Prevention Research Center, Maine Center for Public Health, 1 Weston Ct, Augusta, ME 04330, USA
Pediatrics 123:S258-66. 2009
..To evaluate the effect of a pediatric primary care-based intervention, on improved clinical decision support and family management of risk behaviors for childhood overweight...
- Deer density and the abundance of Ixodes scapularis (Acari: Ixodidae)
Peter W Rand
Lyme Disease Research Laboratory, Maine Medical Center Research Institute, 13 Charles Street, Portland, ME 04102, USA
J Med Entomol 40:179-84. 2003
..Simple linear regression was used to relate (1) the number of ticks found on deer at tagging stations in southern Maine to harvest-derived estimates of the density of deer within the towns in which they were killed, (2) tick densities ..
- Relation between central adiposity and cognitive function in the Maine-Syracuse Study: attenuation by physical activity
Gregory A Dore
Department of Psychology, University of Maine, 5742 Little Hall, Orono, ME 04469 5742, USA
Ann Behav Med 35:341-50. 2008
..However, only some of these studies have adjusted for cardiovascular risk factors and cardiovascular disease, and none have also adjusted for physical activity level...
- Spatial pattern of groundwater arsenic occurrence and association with bedrock geology in greater Augusta, Maine
Queens College and Graduate Center, City University of New York, 65 30 Kissena Boulevard, Flushing, New York 11367, USA
Environ Sci Technol 43:2714-9. 2009
..10(0)-10(1) km) scales, 790 groundwater samples from fractured bedrock aquifers in the greater Augusta, Maine area are analyzed, and 31% of the sampled wells have arsenic concentrations >10 microg/L...
- Screening for thyroid disorders during pregnancy: results of a survey in Maine
James E Haddow
Foundation for Blood Research, Scarborough, ME, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 194:471-4. 2006
..Our survey sought to determine the: 1) extent of screening in Maine; 2) factors associated with screening; and 3) laboratory cut-off levels used.
- Colorectal cancer screening pilot program for underserved women in Cumberland County, Maine
Maine Medical Center and Maine Center for Cancer Medicine, Scarborough, ME 04074, USA
J Community Health 35:109-14. 2010
Over 800 Maine residents will be diagnosed with colorectal cancer (CRC) this year, and nearly 300 will die from the disease. While CRC screening can reduce these rates, it is only among insured populations that screening rates exceed 50%...
- Hydrographics and the timing of infectious salmon anemia outbreaks among Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) farms in the Quoddy region of Maine, USA and New Brunswick, Canada
L L Gustafson
USDA APHIS, Veterinary Services, 16 Deep Cove Road, Eastport, ME 04631, USA
Prev Vet Med 78:35-56. 2007
..The Quoddy region of Maine, United States of America (USA), and New Brunswick (NB), Canada is characterized by extensive tidal mixing and ..
- Telegenetics in Maine: Successful clinical and educational service delivery model developed from a 3-year pilot project
Dale Halsey Lea
Southern Maine Genetics Services, Foundation for Blood Research, Scarborough, Maine, USA
Genet Med 7:21-7. 2005
The goal of this 3-year pilot project was to increase accessibility to genetics educational and clinical services in Maine.
- Maine Carpal Tunnel Study: outcomes of operative and nonoperative therapy for carpal tunnel syndrome in a community-based cohort
J N Katz
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, and Robert B Brigham Multipurpose Arthritis and Musculoskeletal Disease Center, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Hand Surg Am 23:697-710. 1998
..The study included 429 patients with carpal tunnel syndrome recruited in physicians' offices throughout Maine. Patients were assessed at baseline and at 6, 18, and 30 months following presentation using validated scales that ..
- Enzootic Babesia microti in Maine
H K Goethert
Department of Immunology and Infectious Diseases, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Parasitol 89:1069-71. 2003
..dammini is absent, we surveyed small mammals collected from 2 sites in Maine, where I. angustus or I. muris is common but I. dammini is not...
- Myocardial infarction and heart failure hospitalization rates in Maine, USA - variability along the urban-rural continuum
D E Harris
University of Southern Maine, Lewiston Auburn College, Lewiston, Maine, USA
Rural Remote Health 8:980. 2008
..of this study was to determine the predictors of MI and HF hospitalization rates at town level in the State of Maine, USA. Maine has large variations in wealth and along the urban-rural continuum at town level...
- End-of-life care in Hancock County, Maine: a community snapshot
Susan G Ostertag
Ellsworth Family Practice, Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Am J Hosp Palliat Care 25:132-8. 2008
This study presents a model for identifying end-of-life concerns in 1 rural community: Hancock County, Maine. Focus groups and structured interviews were held with primary care physicians, hospice staffs, clergy, hospice board members, ..
- Challenges to implementing second-dose varicella vaccination during an outbreak in the absence of a routine 2-dose vaccination requirement--Maine, 2006
Amy A Parker
Epidemic Intelligence Service, Epidemiology Program Office, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention CDC, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
J Infect Dis 197:S101-7. 2008
..From October 2005 to January 2006, a varicella outbreak occurred in Maine in a highly vaccinated elementary school population...
- Healthy Maine Partnerships: policy and environmental changes
Sarah Levin Martin
Maine Center for Public Health, Farmington, ME 04938, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 6:A63. 2009
Tobacco settlement funds were used to establish the Healthy Maine Partnerships (HMPs) to reduce tobacco use, increase physical activity, and improve nutrition through local policy and environmental change.
- Polybrominated diphenyl ethers in fish and wastewater samples from an area of the Penobscot River in central Maine
Therese desJardins Anderson
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469, USA
Chemosphere 62:1153-60. 2006
..Fish tissue samples were collected from sites along the Penobscot River in central Maine. The total concentration of tetra- to hepta-PBDEs in these samples were calculated and generally increased from ..
- Intercolony aggression within and among local populations of the invasive ant, Myrmica rubra (Hymenoptera: Formicidae), in coastal Maine
Jeffrey R Garnas
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Dartmouth College, 103 Gilman Hall, Hanover, NH 03755, USA
Environ Entomol 36:105-13. 2007
..has a patchy distribution in parts of northeastern North America, including records from 31 communities in Maine. M...
- Low-frequency target strength and abundance of shoaling Atlantic herring (Clupea harengus) in the Gulf of Maine during the Ocean Acoustic Waveguide Remote Sensing 2006 Experiment
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Northeastern University, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Acoust Soc Am 127:104-23. 2010
The low-frequency target strength of shoaling Atlantic herring (Clupea harengus) in the Gulf of Maine during Autumn 2006 spawning season is estimated from experimental data acquired simultaneously at multiple frequencies in the 300-1200 ..
- The effect of differential reproductive success on population genetic structure: correlations of life history with matrilines in humpback whales of the gulf of maine
H C Rosenbaum
Molecular Systematics Laboratory, American Museum of Natural History, 79th Street and CPW, New York, NY 10024, USA
J Hered 93:389-99. 2002
..These results indicate that population structure can be influenced by interactions or associations between reproductive success, genetic structure, and environmental factors in a natural population of long-lived mammals...
- Presence of the APOE epsilon4 allele modifies the relationship between type 2 diabetes and cognitive performance: the Maine-Syracuse Study
G A Dore
Department of Psychology, University of Maine, 5742 Little Hall, Orono, ME 04469 5742, USA
Diabetologia 52:2551-60. 2009
..The primary aim of this study was to determine whether the presence of one or more APOE epsilon4 alleles modifies the association between diabetes (defined by glucose > or =7 mmol/l or treatment) and cognitive function...
- The Maine Lumbar Spine Study, Part II. 1-year outcomes of surgical and nonsurgical management of sciatica
S J Atlas
Medical Practices Evaluation Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 21:1777-86. 1996
STUDY DESIGN: The Maine Lumbar Spine Study is a prospective cohort study of patients recruited from the practices of orthopedic surgeons, neurosurgeons, and occupational medicine physicians throughout Maine...
- Developing a performance-based incentive program for hospitals: a case study from Maine
Gino A Nalli
Muskie School of Public Service, Institute for Health Policy, University of Southern Maine, Portland, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 26:817-24. 2007
A health care coalition in Maine has piloted a performance-based incentive payment program that creates a single statewide program, based on common standards...
- Reliability, validity, and responsiveness of the Norwegian versions of the Maine-Seattle Back Questionnaire and the Sciatica Bothersomeness and Frequency Indices
Department of Rheumatology, Østfold Hospital Trust, Norway
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:2347-53. 2008
..Cross-sectional and prospective study of patients with sciatica and disc herniation...
- Passive surveillance in Maine, an area emergent for tick-borne diseases
Peter W Rand
Vector Borne Disease Laboratory, Maine Medical Research Institute, 75 John Roberts Rd, Suite 9B, South Portland, ME 04106, USA
J Med Entomol 44:1118-29. 2007
In 1989, a free-of-charge, statewide tick identification program was initiated in Maine, 1 yr after the first Ixodes scapularis Say (=I. dammini Spielman, Clifford, Piesman & Corwin) ticks were reported in the state...
- The vending and à la carte policy intervention in Maine public high schools
Anne Marie Davee
Muskie School of Public Service, University of Southern Maine, 295 Water St, Augusta, ME 04330, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 2:A14. 2005
..This article describes a project to make healthier snacks and beverages available in vending machines and à la carte programs in Maine public high schools.
- Using expert opinion to identify risk factors important to infectious salmon-anemia (ISA) outbreaks on salmon farms in Maine, USA and New Brunswick, Canada
L L Gustafson
USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service Veterinary Services, Marine Technology Center, Eastport, ME 04631, USA
Prev Vet Med 70:17-28. 2005
..infectious salmon-anemia (ISA) epidemic, were queried on their opinions regarding the spread and impact of ISA in Maine, USA and New Brunswick, Canada...
- The Maine Lumbar Spine Study, Part I. Background and concepts
R B Keller
Maine Medical Assessment Foundation, Augusta, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 21:1769-76. 1996
STUDY DESIGN: This paper describes the background and factors that led to the development and implementation of the Maine Lumbar Spine Study, a prospective cohort study of patients undergoing surgical and nonsurgical treatment of ..
- Distribution of an invasive ant, Myrmica rubra (Hymenoptera: Formicidae), in Maine
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469, USA
J Econ Entomol 98:1774-84. 2005
..become pestiferous in various locations in the northeastern United States, particularly in coastal communities in Maine. Native populations of this ant are widely distributed throughout northern Europe and western Asia; however, nest ..
- Patient choice cesarean--the Maine experience
Joseph R Wax
Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Maine Medical Center, Portland, Maine, United States
Birth 32:203-6. 2005
..The purpose of this study was to determine obstetricians' attitudes and practices with respect to patient choice cesarean in Maine, United States.
- Assessing immunization performance of private practitioners in Maine: impact of the assessment, feedback, incentives, and exchange strategy
M S Massoudi
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Immunization Program, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Pediatrics 103:1218-23. 1999
..The Maine Immunization Program, and the Maine Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics collaborated on the ..
- Predictors of dissemination of family psychoeducation in community mental health centers in Maine and Illinois
W R McFarlane
Maine Medical Center, Portland 04102, USA
Psychiatr Serv 52:935-42. 2001
..The aim of this study was to determine whether it is possible at the time of staff training to predict whether a mental health center will succeed in implementing family psychoeducation services...
- Importance of catch-up vaccination: experience from a varicella outbreak, Maine, 2002-2003
Epidemic Intelligence Service, Epidemiology Program Office, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Pediatrics 115:900-5. 2005
During December 2002 to January 2003, a varicella outbreak occurred in an elementary school in Maine. Just 1 month before detecting the outbreak, Maine implemented varicella vaccine requirements for child care but did not require ..
- Effects of Maine's 0.05% legal blood alcohol level for drivers with DWI convictions
Boston University School of Public Health, MA 02118, USA
Public Health Rep 113:440-6. 1998
To determine whether a Maine law lowering the legal blood alcohol limit (BAL) from 0.10% to 0.05% for people convicted of driving while intoxicated (DWI) reduced the involvement of this group in fatal crashes.
- Emergency medical services data for cardiovascular disease surveillance, program planning, and evaluation in Maine
Katie A Meyer
Division of Chronic Disease Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention, 11 SHS, Augusta, ME 04333, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 5:A54. 2008
..b>Maine recently began to explore the possible role of EMS data in cardiovascular disease surveillance and cardiovascular ..
- Abundance of Ixodes scapularis (Acari: Ixodidae) after the complete removal of deer from an isolated offshore island, endemic for Lyme Disease
Peter W Rand
Vector Borne Disease Laboratory, Maine Medical Center Research Institute, Portland, ME 04102, USA
J Med Entomol 41:779-84. 2004
Monhegan is an isolated 237-ha island lying 16 km off the coast of Maine. Introduced to the island in 1955, white-tailed deer, Odocoileus virginianus Zimmerman, reached a density of approximately 37/km2 by the mid-1990s...
- Use and effectiveness of tobacco telephone counseling and nicotine therapy in Maine
Susan H Swartz
Center for Tobacco Independence, Maine Medical Center, Portland, Maine 04102 3175, USA
Am J Prev Med 29:288-94. 2005
Since 2001, the Maine Bureau of Health has offered free evidence-based treatment for tobacco dependence, including telephonic counseling and nicotine replacement therapy (NRT)...
- Use of national public health performance standards to assess Maine's diabetes system
Brenda M Joly
Department of Health Policy and Management, Muskie School of Public Service, University of Southern Maine, Augusta, Maine 04330, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 13:68-71. 2007
In the fall of 2003, Maine underwent a rigorous assessment of the diabetes public health system using a modified version of the State Public Health System Performance Instrument developed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention'..
- Mercury contamination of biota from Acadia National Park, Maine: a review
Michael S Bank
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Maine, Orono, ME, USA
Environ Monit Assess 126:105-15. 2007
We reviewed literature reporting both total and methylmercury from biota from Acadia National Park, Maine, USA...
- Cow-level prevalence of paratuberculosis in culled dairy cows in Atlantic Canada and Maine
S L B McKenna
Atlantic Veterinary College, University of Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Canada
J Dairy Sci 87:3770-7. 2004
The prevalence of Mycobacterium avium ssp. paratuberculosis (Mptb) in culled dairy cattle in Eastern Canada and Maine was determined to be 16.1% (95% confidence interval 13.8 to 18...
- Historical eutrophication in a river-estuary complex in mid-coast Maine
Biology Department and Environmental Studies Program, Bowdoin College, Brunswick, Maine 04011, USA
Ecol Appl 17:765-78. 2007
..natural baseline conditions and investigate the recovery of a severely degraded river-estuary complex in mid-coast Maine, we examined diatoms, pollen, total organic carbon, total nitrogen, stable isotopes, total phosphorus, biogenic ..
- Evidence-based care for depression in Maine: dissemination of the Kaiser Permanente Nurse Telecare Program
Maine Health Information Center, P O Box 360, Manchester, Maine 04351, USA
Psychiatr Q 74:91-102. 2003
- Family physicians make a substantial contribution to maternity care: the case of the state of Maine
Robert Graham Center, Policy Studies in Family Practice and Primary Care, 1350 Connecticut Ave, NW, Suite 950, Washington, DC 20036 USA
Am Fam Physician 68:405. 2003
Family physicians provided nearly 20 percent of labor and delivery care in Maine in the year 2000...
- Use of atypical antipsychotic drugs for schizophrenia in Maine Medicaid following a policy change
Stephen B Soumerai
Department of Ambulatory Care and Prevention, Harvard Medical School and Harvard Pilgrim Health Care, in Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 27:w185-95. 2008
..We used Medicaid and Medicare claims data to investigate how Maine's PA policy affected AA use, treatment discontinuities, and spending among schizophrenia patients initiating AA ..
- PCBs, PCDD/Fs, and organochlorine pesticides in farmed Atlantic salmon from Maine, eastern Canada, and Norway, and wild salmon from Alaska
Susan D Shaw
Marine Environmental Research Institute, P O Box 1652, Blue Hill, Maine 04614, USA
Environ Sci Technol 40:5347-54. 2006
Farmed Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) from Maine and eastern Canada, wild Alaskan Chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha), and organically farmed Norwegian salmon samples were analyzed for the presence of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs)..
- Adolescent girls in Maine are at risk for vitamin D insufficiency
Susan S Sullivan
Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, University of Maine, Orono 04469, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 105:971-4. 2005
..Mean parathyroid hormone levels increased 4 pg/mL (15%) from September to March. Vitamin D intakes need to be increased in winter at northern latitudes...
- Move & Improve: a worksite wellness program in Maine
Maine Harvard Prevention Research Center, Maine Center for Public Health, 12 Church St, Augusta, ME 04330, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 3:A101. 2006
We describe the evaluation process and outcomes of Move & Improve, a worksite wellness program in Maine. The evaluation process was based on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Framework for Program Evaluation in Public ..
- The impact of speed and other variables on pedestrian safety in Maine
Per E Gårder
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Maine, Boardman Hall, Orono, ME 04469 5711, USA
Accid Anal Prev 36:533-42. 2004
..Statewide data from Maine was analyzed. Descriptive crash and behavioral statistics are presented in the paper...
- Challenging pharmaceutical industry political power in Maine and Vermont
Health Education Department, San Francisco State University, California, USA
J Health Polit Policy Law 28:109-32. 2003
A comparison of the Vermont and Maine cases of attempting to control pharmaceutical prices in the year 2000 shows that the Maine legislators were more successful in challenging pharmaceutical industry political power...
- Trends in the diabetes quality improvement project measures in Maine from 1994 to 1999
Monica R McClain
Maine Medical Assessment Foundation, Manchester, Maine, USA
Diabetes Care 26:597-601. 2003
..To examine changes in the management of patients with diabetes from 1994 to 1999 using the claims-based Diabetes Quality Improvement Project (DQIP) accountability measures...
- Deer browse resistant exotic-invasive understory: an indicator of elevated human risk of exposure to Ixodes scapularis (Acari: Ixodidae) in southern coastal Maine woodlands
Susan P Elias
Maine Medical Center Research Institute, Vector Borne Disease Research Laboratory, 75 John Roberts Road, Suite 9B, South Portland, ME 04106, USA
J Med Entomol 43:1142-52. 2006
..the abundance of questing adult and nymphal blacklegged ticks, Ixodes scapularis Say (Acari: Ixodidae), in three Maine towns endemic for Lyme disease, 2001-2003...
- Watershed nitrogen and mercury geochemical fluxes integrate landscape factors in long-term research watersheds at Acadia National Park, Maine, USA
J S Kahl
University of Maine, Orono, ME, USA
Environ Monit Assess 126:9-25. 2007
- Mercury and growth of tree swallows at Acadia National Park, and at Orono, Maine, USA
Jerry R Longcore
U S Geological Survey, Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, 5768 South Annex A, Orono, ME 04469 5768, USA
Environ Monit Assess 126:117-27. 2007
..Fledgling tree swallows that survive to migrate, however, will leave Maine with substantial concentrations of Hg in their tissues.
- Mass balances of mercury and nitrogen in burned and unburned forested watersheds at Acadia National Park, Maine, USA
S J Nelson
Senator George J Mitchell Center for Environmental and Watershed Research, University of Maine, 5710 Norman Smith Hall, Orono, ME 04469 5710, USA
Environ Monit Assess 126:69-80. 2007
..samples were collected from 16 November 1999 to 17 November 2000 in two watersheds at Acadia National Park, Maine, and analyzed for mercury (Hg) and dissolved inorganic nitrogen (DIN, nitrate plus ammonium)...
- Landscape controls on mercury in streamwater at Acadia National Park, USA
J M Peckenham
Senator George J Mitchell Center for Environmental and Watershed Research, University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469, USA
Environ Monit Assess 126:97-104. 2007
..samples were analyzed for total mercury (Hg) and major ions from 47 locations on Mount Desert Island in Maine. Samples were collected in zones that were burned in a major wildfire in 1947 and in zones that were not burned...
- Nutrient export from watersheds on Mt. Desert Island, Maine, as a function of land use and fire history
Martha G Nielsen
U S Geological Survey, 196 Whitten Rd, Augusta, ME 04330, USA
Environ Monit Assess 126:81-96. 2007
A study of 13 small (less than 7.5 km(2)) watersheds on Mt. Desert Island, Maine, was conducted from January 1999 to September 2000 to determine nutrient export delivery to coastal waters around the island, and to determine whether a ..
- Impervious surface area as a predictor of the effects of urbanization on stream insect communities in Maine, USA
Chandler C Morse
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Maine, Orono, Maine, USA
Environ Monit Assess 89:95-127. 2003
..and biological characteristics of streams draining 20 catchments with varying levels of urban land-cover in Maine (U.S.A)...
- Background mercury concentrations in river water in Maine, U.S.A
John M Peckenham
Senator George J Mitchell Center for Environmental and Watershed Research, University of Maine, Orono, Maine, USA
Environ Monit Assess 89:129-52. 2003
Mercury concentrations in 58 rivers in Maine was measured to range from below detection up to 7.01 ng L(-1) and averaged 1.80 +/- 1.29 ng L(-1). The concentration gradient for mercury in rivers across the state was not uniform...
- Paleoecological assessment of watershed history in PRIMENet watersheds at Acadia National Park, USA
College of Natural Resources, University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469, USA
Environ Monit Assess 126:39-53. 2007
Paleoecological reconstructions of forest stand histories for two upland watersheds at Acadia National Park in Maine were completed to support related watershed chemistry studies...
- Semipermeable membrane device (SPMD) for monitoring PCDD and PCDF levels from a paper mill effluent in the Androscoggin River, Maine, USA
Senator George J Mitchell Center for Environmental and Watershed Research, University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469, USA
Chemosphere 72:1171-80. 2008
..The SPMD results were validated by comparison to other studies on the Androscoggin River and elsewhere, confirming the potential of the device as a useful monitoring technique for PCDD/Fs in large river systems...
- Confronting trade-offs in health care: Harvard Pilgrim Health Care's organizational ethics program
James E Sabin
Ethics Program, Harvard Pilgrim Health Care, Boston, MA, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 26:1129-34. 2007
- Use of the 16S-23S rDNA internal transcribed spacer of Roseovarius crassostreae for epizootiological studies of juvenile oyster disease (JOD)
Aaron P Maloy
Department of Biochemistry, Microbiology and Molecular Biology, University of Maine, Orono, Maine 04469, USA
Dis Aquat Organ 76:151-61. 2007
..Two genotypes were associated with Maine epizootics, and both were believed to be unique to that region until 2004, when one was detected in Martha's ..
- Biomarkers in environmental and human health risk assessment
Tamara S Galloway
Ecotoxicology and Stress Biology Research Centre, School of Biological Sciences, University of Plymouth, Drake Circus, Plymouth PL4 8 AA, UK
Mar Pollut Bull 53:606-13. 2006
- Assessing health of the Bay of Fundy--concepts and framework
Peter G Wells
Coastal and Water Science Section, Canadian Wildlife Service, Environmental Conservation Branch, Environment Canada, NS, B2Y 2N6, Dartmouth, Canada
Mar Pollut Bull 46:1059-77. 2003
..approaches and tools? What is an appropriate set of EH indicators and indices for the Bay of Fundy and Gulf of Maine? At the present time, can we make unequivocal statements about the status and trends in EH measures of the Bay of ..
- An in situ toxicity identification evaluation method Part II: Field validation
G Allen Burton
Institute for Environmental Quality, Wright State University, Dayton, Ohio 45435, USA
Environ Toxicol Chem 23:2851-5. 2004
..The results of these studies suggest that the iTIE method provides a more accurate and sensitive evaluation of pore water toxicity than the laboratory TIE method...
- Effects of roadway crossings on leaf litter processing and invertebrate assemblages in small streams
Thomas S Woodcock
Department of Biological Sciences, 202 Deering Hall, University of Maine, Orono, Maine, USA
Environ Monit Assess 93:229-50. 2004
The effects of the Maine Turnpike (Interstate 95) on leaf litter processing were examined in five first- and second-order coastal plain streams in southern Maine, U.S.A...
- Response in nematocyst uptake by the nudibranch Flabellina verrucosa to the presence of various predators in the Southern Gulf of Maine
NOAA Fisheries, Northwest Fisheries Science Center, Fish Ecology Division, 2725 Montlake Boulevard East, Seattle, Washington 98112, USA
Biol Bull 205:367-76. 2003
..Nematocyst uptake in the nudibranch Flabellina verrucosa collected from the southern Gulf of Maine was examined in response to various potential predators, including Crossaster papposus, Tautogolabrus adspersus, ..
- Genetic heterogeneity among intertidal habitats in the flat periwinkle, Littorina obtusata
Paul S Schmidt
Department of Biology, University of Pennsylvania, 433 S University Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6018, USA
Mol Ecol 16:2393-404. 2007
- Dental amalgam and psychosocial status: the New England Children's Amalgam Trial
D C Bellinger
Harvard Medical School, Harvard School of Public Health, Children s Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
J Dent Res 87:470-4. 2008
..No evidence was found that exposure to mercury from dental amalgams was associated with adverse psychosocial outcomes over the five-year period following initial placement of amalgams...
- Cardiopulmonary bypass recommendations in adults: the northern New England experience
Christian P DioDato
Concord Hospital, Concord, New Hampshire, USA
J Extra Corpor Technol 40:16-20. 2008
..We continue to prospectively measure CPB practice relating to these recommendations to monitor and improve the care provided to our patients...
- Rural communities improving quality through collaboration: the MaineHealth story
Lisa M Letourneau
J Healthc Qual 28:15-27. 2006
..This collaborative approach provided an effective way to achieve improved outcomes across a geographically and structurally diverse system, and it can help influence improvement efforts in other small and medium-sized rural communities...
- Data analysis made easy. PBM provider improves its approach to streamlining customer queries
Health Manag Technol 24:32-5. 2003
- Dental amalgam restorations and children's neuropsychological function: the New England Children's Amalgam Trial
David C Bellinger
Department of Neurology, Children s Hospital Boston and Harvard Medical, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Environ Health Perspect 115:440-6. 2007
..A concern persists that children's exposure to mercury vapor from dental amalgams produces neurotoxicity...
- Transitions in insurance coverage from before pregnancy through delivery in nine states, 1996-1999
E Kathleen Adams
Department of Health Policy and Management, Emory University, Atlanta, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 22:219-29. 2003
..More than one-third of all pregnant women made some change in coverage by the time they delivered their baby. Among low-income women, the largest change was from uninsured status before pregnancy to Medicaid at delivery...
- States step up
Hosp Health Netw 80:38-40, 42-4, 2. 2006
..The details and scope of these proposals vary widely, and in all cases, the implications for hospitals are enormous...
- Roseovarius crassostreae sp. nov., a member of the Roseobacter clade and the apparent cause of juvenile oyster disease (JOD) in cultured Eastern oysters
Katherine J Boettcher
Department of Biochemistry, University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469, USA
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 55:1531-7. 2005
..as the numerically dominant species from JOD-affected animals throughout the north-eastern United States (Maine, New York and Massachusetts)...
- Metal levels in horseshoe crabs (Limulus polyphemus) from Maine to Florida
Nelson Biological Laboratory FAS, Division of Life Sciences, Rutgers University, 604 Alison Street, Piscataway, NJ 08854 8082, USA
Environ Res 90:227-36. 2002
..mercury, and selenium) in the eggs, leg muscle, and apodeme of 100 horseshoe crabs collected at nine sites from Maine to Florida...
- Techniques employed for detection of hot particles in the marine environment
G D Pillsbury
Final Status Survey, Maine Yankee, 321 Old Ferry Road, ME 04578, USA
J Radiol Prot 27:A39-44. 2007
During the decommissioning of the Maine Yankee nuclear plant, several methods were developed and employed to survey for hot particles in the marine environment surrounding the site...
- Waterborne radon in seven Maine schools
M J Norris
The University of Maine, Department of Physics and Astronomy, 5709 Bennett Hall, Orono, Maine, 04469 5709, USA
Health Phys 86:528-35. 2004
..the transfer coefficient of radon from water to air in kitchens and bathrooms for seven schools located in Maine. Simulations occurred in water use rooms containing multiple airborne radon detectors...
- Correlations between arsenic in Maine groundwater and microbial populations as determined by fluorescence in situ hybridization
Jennifer M Weldon
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Maine at Orono, 5711 Boardman Hall, 04469 5711, USA
Chemosphere 63:440-8. 2006
Arsenic is known to cause serious health effects when consumed in drinking water. In the state of Maine, approximately half of the population relies on private groundwater wells for their drinking water...
- Factors contributing to the internal loading of phosphorus from anoxic sediments in six Maine, USA, lakes
Bjorn A Lake
Department Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469, USA
Sci Total Environ 373:534-41. 2007
..Gravimetric sediment cores were collected before and after the onset of anoxia in six Maine (USA) lakes during the summer of 2003...
- Hydraulic characterization for steam enhanced remediation conducted in fractured rock
Kyle M Stephenson
Department of Civil Engineering, Queen s University, Ellis Hall, Kingston, Ontario, Canada K7L 3N6
J Contam Hydrol 82:220-40. 2006
..injection and water/vapour extraction pilot study was conducted at the former Loring Air Force Base in northern Maine, USA...
- Hazardous waste site frequency: use of the capture-recapture method
J H Lange
Envirosafe Training and Consultants, Pittsburgh, PA 15239, USA
Toxicol Ind Health 19:109-13. 2003
..ascertainment and undercounts of non-national priority listed hazardous waste sites in the states of Arizona, Maine and Pennsylvania...
- Molecular quantification of toxic Alexandrium fundyense in the Gulf of Maine
State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY, USA
Biol Bull 205:231-2. 2003
- Comparison of ultraviolet absorbance, chemiluminescence, and DOAS instruments for ambient ozone monitoring
E J Williams
Chemical Sciences Division, Earth System Research Laboratory, NOAA, Boulder, Colorado 80305, USA
Environ Sci Technol 40:5755-62. 2006
..of 1999 and 2000 at urban/industrial sites in Nashville and Houston, and in 2004 aboard a ship in the Gulf of Maine. In the two urban areas, we also compared the 03 measurements from these two methods with O3 measurements made by ..
- Gulfwatch: monitoring spatial and temporal patterns of trace metal and organic contaminants in the Gulf of Maine (1991-1997) with the blue mussel, Mytilus edulis L
M E Chase
Jackson Estuarine Laboratory, University of New Hampshire, Durham, NH 03824, USA
Mar Pollut Bull 42:491-505. 2001
..the blue mussel, Mytilus edulis, is used as an indicator of the level and extent of contamination in the Gulf of Maine. Since 1991, trace metals, PAHs, PCBs, and OC pesticides have been measured in mussel tissues at 56 sites...
- The precursors of governance in the Maine lobster fishery
School of Marine Sciences, University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:15212-7. 2007
..The Maine lobster fishery is an instructive example of biological and technological circumstances combining with individual ..
- High proportions of nonpathogenic Streptomyces are associated with common scab-resistant potato lines and less severe disease
Leslie A Wanner
USDA ARS Genetic Improvement of Fruit and Vegetable Laboratory, 10300 Baltimore Avenue, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
Can J Microbiol 53:1062-75. 2007
..from potato tubers with common scab lesions from 2 fields over a 3 year period in Minnesota and a 5 year period in Maine. Isolates were obtained from different potato cultivars or breeding lines and types of scab lesions...
- Detecting change in the composition of multispecies community
A R Solow
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Woods Hole, Massachusetts 02543, USA
Biometrics 50:556-65. 1994
..The approach is based on a modification of a method for trend extraction from ordinary multiple time series. Two applications to a Northwest Atlantic ecosystem are described...
- Inferring resource distributions from Atlantic bluefin tuna movements: an analysis based on net displacement and length of track
Laboratory of Atomic and Solid State Physics, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853 2501, USA
J Theor Biol 245:243-57. 2007
We use observed movement tracks of Atlantic bluefin tuna in the Gulf of Maine and mathematical modeling of this movement to identify possible resource patches...
- Scale-dependent inhibition drives regular tussock spacing in a freshwater marsh
Johan van de Koppel
Spatial Ecology Department, Centre for Estuarine and Marine Ecology, Netherlands Institute of Ecology NIOO KNAW, P O Box 140, NL 4400 AC Yerseke, The Netherlands
Am Nat 168:E136-47. 2006
..Our study underlines the importance of scale-dependent feedback in the formation of regular spatial patterning in ecosystems...
- The functional integrity of normally forested landscapes: a proposal for an index of environmental capital
George M Woodwell
Woods Hole Research Center, Woods Hole, MA 02543, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:13600-5. 2002
..extractive reserves in Acre, Brazil (100), the once-forested landscape of Haiti (0), and a managed forest stand in Maine. The analyses offer a scalar system for defining how well landowners and governments are protecting the public's ..
- Weighing the evidence of ecological risk from chemical contamination in the estuarine environment adjacent to the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard, Kittery, Maine, USA
Robert K Johnston
Marine Environmental Support Office, Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center, San Diego, California 92152 6326, USA
Environ Toxicol Chem 21:182-94. 2002
..areas adjacent to the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard, located at the mouth of the Great Bay Estuary, New Hampshire and Maine, USA...
- Past states of continuous-time Markov models for ecological communities
School of Biological Sciences, University of Liverpool, Liverpool L69 7ZB, UK
Math Biosci 211:299-313. 2008
..We show how to distinguish between different ways in which a state can have high successional rank. We apply our results to a marine subtidal community...
- Trends in smoking before, during, and after pregnancy - Pregnancy Risk Assessment Monitoring System (PRAMS), United States, 31 sites, 2000-2005
Van T Tong
Division of Reproductive Health, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, CDC, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
MMWR Surveill Summ 58:1-29. 2009
..During 2000-2004, an estimated 174,000 women in the United States died annually from smoking-attributable causes, and an estimated 776 infants died annually from causes attributed to maternal smoking during pregnancy...
- Intraoperative red blood cell transfusion during coronary artery bypass graft surgery increases the risk of postoperative low-output heart failure
Stephen D Surgenor
Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, 1 Medical Center Dr, Lebanon, NH 03756
Circulation 114:I43-8. 2006
..The impact of intraoperative red blood cell (RBC) transfusion to treat anemia during surgery is less understood. We examined the relationship between anemia during CPB, RBC transfusion, and risk of low-output heart failure (LOF)...
- A review of dioxins/furans and methyl mercury in fish from the Penobscot river, located near Lincoln, Maine
Robert L Williams
US Public Health Service, Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, Division of Toxicology and Environmental Medicine, 4770 Buford Highway, Mail Stop F 32, Atlanta, GA 30341 3724, USA
Toxicol Ind Health 23:147-53. 2007
..was requested to review the analytical results of tissue samples from fish caught in the Penobscot river in Maine, calculate fish consumption limits and provide a public health opinion regarding the health implications ..
- Air pollution, weather, and respiratory emergency room visits in two northern New England cities: an ecological time-series study
Adam M Wilson
Climate Change Research Center, Institute for the Study of Earth, Oceans, and Space, University of New Hampshire, Morse Hall, Durham, NH 03824, USA
Environ Res 97:312-21. 2005
..compared with daily sulfur dioxide (SO2), ozone (O3), and weather variables over the period 1998-2000 in Portland, Maine (population 248,000), and 1996-2000 in Manchester, New Hampshire (population 176,000)...
- Mitral valve repair and replacement in northern New England
Edward R Nowicki
Departments of Surgery and Medicine, Dartmouth Medical College, Hanover, NH, USA
Am Heart J 145:1058-62. 2003
..A retrospective regional study was conducted to identify changes in patient and disease characteristics and in population-based rates for mitral valve repair and replacement in northern New England...
- Neonatal health care costs related to smoking during pregnancy
E Kathleen Adams
Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Health Econ 11:193-206. 2002
..The goal of this study is to use data on smoking behavior, birth outcomes and resource utilization to estimate neonatal costs attributable to maternal smoking during pregnancy...