- Access to dental care services for Medicaid children: variations by urban/rural categories in Illinois
Gayle R Byck
Illinois Regional Health Workforce Center, University of Illinois at Chicago, 60607, USA
J Rural Health 18:512-20. 2002
..This study examines differences between rural and urban counties in dental utilization rates of Illinois children enrolled in either Medicaid or the Children's Health Insurance Program...
- Objective and perceived neighborhood environment, individual SES and psychosocial factors, and self-rated health: an analysis of older adults in Cook County, Illinois
Department of Sociology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112 0250, USA
Soc Sci Med 63:2575-90. 2006
..Analysis of data from a representative sample of adults, aged 50-67 years in Cook County, Illinois, shows a significant association between objective neighborhood SES and self-rated health after controlling for ..
- Comparative genetic analyses of historical and contemporary collections highlight contrasting demographic histories for the bumble bees Bombus pensylvanicus and B. impatiens in Illinois
Jeffrey D Lozier
Department of Entomology, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Mol Ecol 18:1875-86. 2009
..declining bumble bee species, Bombus pensylvanicus, and from a stable species, Bombus impatiens, in central Illinois. For each species, we genotyped specimens from the Illinois Natural History Survey collected from three ..
- Developing operational algorithms using linear and non-linear squares estimation in Python for the identification of Culex pipiens and Culex restuans in a mosquito abatement district (Cook County, Illinois, USA)
Benjamin J Jacob
Department of Medicine, William C Gorgas Center for Geographic Medicine, University of Alabama, 845 19th Street South, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Geospat Health 3:157-76. 2009
..and Culex restuan mosquitoes and multiple habitat covariates were collected from nine sites within Cook County, Illinois, USA, to provide spatio-temporal information on the abundance of WNv vectors from 2002 to 2005...
- Outbreak of human adenovirus type 3 infection in a pediatric long-term care facility--Illinois, 2005
Chicago Department of Public Health, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Clin Infect Dis 45:416-20. 2007
..We describe an outbreak of HAdV-3 infection in a long-term care facility for children with severe neurologic impairment, where only 3 of 63 residents were ambulatory...
- A multiple sclerosis cluster associated with a small, north-central Illinois community
R B Schiffer
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock 79430, USA
Arch Environ Health 56:389-95. 2001
The authors investigated a reported incidence cluster of multiple sclerosis (MS) cases in a small, north-central Illinois community to determine validity and statistical significance...
- The behavioral and clinical effects of therapeutic lifestyle change on middle-aged adults
Steven G Aldana
274 SFH, College of Health and Human Performance, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT 84602 2214, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 3:A05. 2006
..This study determined the behavioral and clinical impact of a therapeutic lifestyle-modification intervention on a group of community volunteers...
- Air pollution and daily mortality in three U.S. counties
S H Moolgavkar
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center and Sciences International, Inc, Seattle, Washington, USA
Environ Health Perspect 108:777-84. 2000
..In general, the gases, particularly CO, but not ozone, were much more strongly associated with mortality than was particulate matter. This association was particularly striking in Los Angeles County...
- To what extent has endovascular aneurysm repair influenced abdominal aortic aneurysm management in the state of Illinois?
Luis R Leon
Division of Vascular Surgery, Loyola University Medical Center, Stritch School of Medicine, Maywood, IL 60513, USA
J Vasc Surg 41:568-74. 2005
..to determine the changing trends in the techniques for abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) repair in the state of Illinois during the past 9 years and to examine the extent to which endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR) has influenced ..
- The effect of infrastructure and demographic change on traffic-related fatalities and crashes: a case study of Illinois county-level data
Robert B Noland
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Centre for Transport Studies, Imperial College of Science Technology and Medicine, London SW7 2BU, UK
Accid Anal Prev 36:525-32. 2004
This paper presents analyses of data from the Highway Safety Information System (HSIS) for the State of Illinois. Our analyses focuses on whether various changes in road network infrastructure and geometric design can be associated with ..
- Transport and fate of nitrate in headwater agricultural streams in Illinois
Todd V Royer
Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences, University of Illinois, 1102 South Goodwin Avenue, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
J Environ Qual 33:1296-304. 2004
..of Mexico have increased during recent decades and agricultural regions in the upper Midwest, such as those in Illinois, are a major source of N to the Mississippi River...
- Access to community pharmacies by the elderly in Illinois: a geographic information systems analysis
Swu Jane Lin
Department of Pharmacy Administration, College of Pharmacy, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Med Syst 28:301-9. 2004
..this study was carried out to understand the geographic access to community pharmacies by the elderly in Illinois and to estimate the disparity in the access between rural and urban areas...
- Changes in seroprevalence of West Nile virus across Illinois in free-ranging birds from 2001 through 2004
Tara A Beveroth
Medical Entomology Laboratory, Illinois Natural History Survey, University of Illinois, Champaign, Illinois, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 74:174-9. 2006
Of the 5,236 birds sampled for antibodies to West Nile virus (WNV) in Illinois from 2001 through 2004, 348 (6.6%) birds were seropositive...
- Illinois RMED: a comprehensive program to improve the supply of rural family physicians
J A Stearns
Rural Medical Education Program, University of Illinois College of Medicine at Rockford, USA
Fam Med 32:17-21. 2000
Rural areas of the United States are perennially medically underserved, and the state of Illinois is no exception. A recent survey showed that 75 of Illinois' 84 rural counties are primary care physician shortage areas...
- Geriatric trauma in the State of Illinois: substance use and injury patterns
John L Zautcke
Department of Emergency Medicine University of Illinois at Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Am J Emerg Med 20:14-7. 2002
..mechanism of injury in all elderly trauma patients presenting to level I and II trauma centers in the State of Illinois over 3 years...
- Integrating viral hepatitis prevention into STD clinics in Illinois (excluding Chicago), 1999-2005
Illinois Department of Public Health, Springfield, IL, USA
Public Health Rep 122:18-23. 2007
..In 1999, the Illinois Department of Public Health began working with local health departments in Illinois (excluding Chicago) to ..
- Regional seroprevalence of bluetongue virus in cattle in Illinois and western Indiana
Tim C Boyer
Department of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota, Saint Paul, MN 55108, USA
Am J Vet Res 68:1212-9. 2007
To estimate seroprevalence of bluetongue virus (BTV) and the geographic distribution of seropositive cattle herds in Illinois and western Indiana.
- The University of Illinois at Chicago/National Institutes of Health Center for Botanical Dietary Supplements Research for Women's Health: from plant to clinical use
Norman R Farnsworth
University of Illinois at Chicago National Institutes of Health Center for Botanical Dietary Supplements Research, Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacognosy, University of Illinois College of Pharmacy, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 87:504S-8S. 2008
The University of Illinois at Chicago/National Institutes of Health Center for Botanical Dietary Supplements Research began in 1999 with an emphasis on botanical dietary supplements for women's health...
- Impact of the coronary health improvement project (CHIP) on several employee populations
Steven G Aldana
College of Health and Human Performance, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah 84602 2214, USA
J Occup Environ Med 44:831-9. 2002
..Employees (n = 442) from six worksites in metropolitan Rockford, Illinois, were used in a pretest/posttest design...
- Knowledge of the cervical cancer screening process among rural and urban illinois women undergoing colposcopy
L Stewart Massad
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Springfield, IL 62794 9640, USA
J Low Genit Tract Dis 10:252-5. 2006
..To describe knowledge of the cervical cancer prevention process among rural and urban women referred for evaluation of abnormal cytology...
- An epidemic of illicit fentanyl deaths in Cook County, Illinois: September 2005 through April 2007
J Scott Denton
McLean and Peoria County Coroners Offices, Bloomington, IL 61702, USA
J Forensic Sci 53:452-4. 2008
..The clandestine lab was terminated, distributing gang members and leaders arrested, and the epidemic ceased in April 2007...
- First record of Aedes japonicus japonicus in Illinois: defining its spatial distribution and associated mosquito species
Joel A Morris
Department of Entomology, University of Illinois Urbana Champaign, 320 Morrill Hall, 505 South Goodwin, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
J Am Mosq Control Assoc 23:243-51. 2007
..In July and August of 2006, the 1st reported specimens of Ae. japonicus were detected in east central Illinois at 2 woodlots in southern Urbana. Sampling efforts were concentrated around the site of the original detection...
- County-level surveillance of white-tailed deer infestation by Ixodes scapularis and Dermacentor albipictus (Acari: Ixodidae) along the Illinois River
M Roberto Cortinas
Department of Pathobiology, University of Illinois, 2001 S Lincoln Avenue, Urbana, IL 61802, USA
J Med Entomol 43:810-9. 2006
From 1998 to 2003, 4,935 hunter-killed deer in northern and central Illinois were examined for ticks; 4,066 blacklegged ticks, Ixodes scapularis Say, and 6,530 winter ticks, Dermacentor albipictus (Packard) (Acari: Ixodidae), were ..
- Diversity and evolution of West Nile virus in Illinois and the United States, 2002-2005
University of Illinois, Department of Pathobiology, 2001 South Lincoln Avenue, Urbana, IL 61802, USA
Virology 360:143-9. 2007
..In this study, an expanded data set of 68 WNV envelope gene sequences from the Midwest (Illinois) was created and combined with published sequences to investigate spatial and temporal structuring in the United ..
- Spatio-temporal analyses of West Nile virus transmission in Culex mosquitoes in northern Illinois, USA, 2004
Illinois Natural History Survey, Champaign, Illinois 61820, USA
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 6:91-8. 2006
After a severe outbreak of West Nile virus (WNV) in Cook County, Illinois, in 2002, detections of WNV in mosquitoes were frequent across the state in the following years despite small numbers of human cases...
- Vaccination usage among an old-order Amish community in Illinois
Jonathan S Yoder
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 25:1182-3. 2006
..A written survey was mailed to all Amish households in the largest Amish community in Illinois inquiring about their vaccination status and that of their children...
- Methane-producing microbial community in a coal bed of the Illinois basin
ConocoPhillips, 600 N Dairy Ashford, PR 3026, Houston, TX 77079, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 74:2424-32. 2008
..of molecular and geochemical studies were performed to study microbial, coal bed methane formation in the eastern Illinois Basin...
- Molecular phylogenetic analysis of a geographically and temporally matched set of Candida albicans isolates from humans and nonmigratory wildlife in central Illinois
Department of Pathobiology, University of Illinois, 2522 VMBSB, 2001 S Lincoln Avenue, Urbana, IL 61802, USA
Eukaryot Cell 7:1475-86. 2008
..C. albicans isolates were collected from nonmigratory wildlife admitted to the University of Illinois Wildlife Medical Clinic. A geographically and temporally matched set of C...
- Hunger in legal immigrants in California, Texas, and Illinois
Division of General Academic Pediatrics, Boston Medical Center, Mass 02118, USA
Am J Public Health 90:1629-33. 2000
..This study determined the prevalence of food insecurity and hunger in low-income legal immigrants...
- Adequacy of medical chart review to characterize emergency care for asthma: findings from the Illinois Emergency Department Asthma Collaborative
Michael F McDermott
Department of Emergency Medicine, John H Stroger, Jr Hospital of Cook County, Chicago IL 60612, USA
Acad Emerg Med 13:345-8. 2006
..To assess the intermethod reliability of medical chart review compared with directly observed care in patients presenting to emergency departments (EDs) for asthma care...
- Prevalence and antibiotic-resistance characteristics of Enterococcus spp. Isolated from free-living and captive raptors in Central Illinois
College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Illinois, Urbana, Illinois 61802, USA
J Wildl Dis 45:302-13. 2009
..The results of this study suggest that raptors in central Illinois are coming into contact with antimicrobials, prey exposed to antimicrobials, or bacteria that are capable of ..
- Hematology, plasma biochemistry, and antibodies to select viruses in wild-caught Eastern massasauga rattlesnakes (Sistrurus catenatus catenatus) from Illinois
Matthew C Allender
Department of Veterinary Biosciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, 2001 South Lincoln Avenue, Urbana, Illinois 61802, USA
J Wildl Dis 42:107-14. 2006
..was collected from Eastern massasauga rattlesnakes (Sistrurus catenatus catenatus) in the Carlyle Lake (Carlyle, Illinois, USA) and Allerton Park (Monticello, Illinois, USA) populations to derive baseline complete blood count and ..
- Endemic avian toxoplasmosis on a farm in Illinois: clinical disease, diagnosis, biologic and genetic characteristics of Toxoplasma gondii isolates from chickens (Gallus domesticus), and a goose (Anser anser)
J P Dubey
United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Animal and Natural Resources Institute, Animal Parasitic Diseases Laboratory, Building 1001, Beltsville, MD 20705 2350, USA
Vet Parasitol 148:207-12. 2007
..Here we report that three chickens on a farm in Illinois developed neurological signs...
- Spatial analysis of the distribution of LaCrosse encephalitis in Illinois, using a geographic information system and local and global spatial statistics
College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Illinois, Urbana 61801, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 57:469-75. 1997
The spatial and temporal distribution of LaCrosse encephalitis cases in Illinois was analyzed using a geographic information system (GIS) and spatial statistics...
- Self-reported competency of public health nurses and faculty in Illinois
L Michele Issel
University of Illinois at Chicago, School of Public Health, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Public Health Nurs 23:168-77. 2006
..PHNs; n=168) from 50 local health agencies and public health nursing faculty (n=46) from 31 nursing programs in Illinois. The questionnaire consisted of nine reliable scales using self-reported levels of competence in each PHN ..
- Phosphorus transport through subsurface drainage and surface runoff from a flat watershed in east central Illinois, USA
A S Algoazany
King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology, GDRGP, P O Box 6086, Riyadh 11442, Saudi Arabia
J Environ Qual 36:681-93. 2007
..Soluble P mass loads in surface runoff responded to discharge more consistently than in the subsurface flow. Subsurface flow had substantially greater annual average soluble P mass loads than surface runoff due to greater flow volume...
- Modeling the impact of variable climatic factors on the crossover of Culex restauns and Culex pipiens (Diptera: culicidae), vectors of West Nile virus in Illinois
Kenneth E Kunkel
Illinois State Water Survey, Champaign, Illinois, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 74:168-73. 2006
..in Illinois. The temporal pattern of West Nile virus (WNV) and St...
- Positive changes among very low birth weight infant Apgar scores that are associated with the Neonatal Resuscitation Program in Illinois
Saint Joseph Hospital, Resurrection Health Care and Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, IL 60657, USA
J Perinatol 22:386-90. 2002
..of Pediatrics and American Heart Association sponsored Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) was started in Illinois 1987 to standardize knowledge and skills for successful resuscitation to decrease newborn morbidity and mortality...
- Epidemiology of community-onset Staphylococcus aureus infections in pediatric patients: an experience at a Children's Hospital in central Illinois
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria and Children s Hospital of Illinois at OSF Saint Francis Medical Center, Illinois, USA
BMC Infect Dis 9:112. 2009
..We sought to characterize the epidemiology of community-onset S. aureus infections in hospitalized children to assist local clinicians in providing appropriate empiric antimicrobial therapy...
- Outbreak of leptospirosis among triathlon participants and community residents in Springfield, Illinois, 1998
Meningitis and Special Pathogens Branch, Division of Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, 30333, USA
Clin Infect Dis 34:1593-9. 2002
..an outbreak of leptospirosis among athletes and community residents after a triathlon was held in Springfield, Illinois. A telephone survey was conducted to collect clinical information and data on possible risk factors, community ..
- Strengthening communities' youth access policies may facilitate clean indoor air action
Leonard A Jason
Prev Chronic Dis 4:A113. 2007
- Genetic, geographical and temporal variation of porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus in Illinois
T L Goldberg
University of Illinois, Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, 2001 South Lincoln Avenue, Urbana, IL 61820, USA
J Gen Virol 81:171-9. 2000
..syndrome virus (PRRSV) ORF5 gene sequences were generated by RT-PCR from 55 field isolates collected in Illinois and eastern Iowa...
- An outbreak of duck viral enteritis (duck plague) in domestic Muscovy ducks (Cairina moschata domesticus) in Illinois
E R Campagnolo
United States Department of Agriculture, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, Veterinary Services, Springfield, IL 62704, USA
Avian Dis 45:522-8. 2001
..of Muscovy ducks (Cairina moschata domesticus) on a privately owned multispecies game bird production facility in Illinois, where it claimed 625 ducks...
- Predictors of dissemination of family psychoeducation in community mental health centers in Maine and Illinois
W R McFarlane
Maine Medical Center, Portland 04102, USA
Psychiatr Serv 52:935-42. 2001
..The aim of this study was to determine whether it is possible at the time of staff training to predict whether a mental health center will succeed in implementing family psychoeducation services...
- Oral cancer prevention and early detection knowledge and practices of Illinois dentists--a brief communication
Charles W Lehew
Institute for Health Research and Policy, University of Illinois at Chicago, 1747 W Roosevelt Road, Suite 500, Chicago, IL 60608, USA
J Public Health Dent 67:89-93. 2007
The purpose of the study was to assess Illinois dentists' self-reported knowledge and practices concerning oral cancer prevention, early detection, and management as a baseline prior to conducting interventions designed to increase ..
- West Nile virus infection in free-ranging squirrels in Illinois
Kathleen M Heinz-Taheny
Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory, Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL 61802, USA
J Vet Diagn Invest 16:186-90. 2004
..This is the first description of lesions associated with WNV infection in gray and fox squirrels...
- Illinois dental anesthesia and sedation survey for 2006
William G Flick
Oral Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Illinois, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Anesth Prog 54:52-8. 2007
This is a 10-year follow-up survey of a 1996 study of all dentists in Illinois holding a permit to administer sedation or general anesthesia...
- Prevalence of metabolic syndrome and associated risk factors in Illinois
Division of Nutritional Sciences, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, 1201 S Dorner Dr, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Am J Health Promot 23:130-8. 2008
To examine the prevalence of metabolic syndrome (MS) in Illinois and associated risk factors to document emerging problems as a basis for preventive and/or therapeutic interventions.
- Pharmaceutical services in rural hospitals in Illinois--2001
Department of Pharmacy Practice M C 886, College of Pharmacy, University of Illinois, Chicago, 833 South Wood Street, Room 176, Chicago, IL, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 60:666-74. 2003
The results of a survey characterizing pharmaceutical services in rural hospitals in Illinois are reported and compared with results of a similar survey conducted in 1991...
- The effect of the Family Case Management Program on 1996 birth outcomes in Illinois
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0604, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 13:207-15. 2004
The purpose of this study was to determine if birth outcomes for Medicaid recipients were improved with participation in the Illinois Family Case Management Program.
- The epidemiology of blastomycosis in Illinois and factors associated with death
Mark S Dworkin
Illinois Department of Public Health, Div of Infectious Diseases, Chicago, Illinois 60601, USA
Clin Infect Dis 41:e107-11. 2005
..Blastomycosis is a systemic fungal disease that may be asymptomatic or progressive and may lead to death...
- Canine heartworms in coyotes in Illinois
Thomas A Nelson
Department of Biological Sciences, Eastern Illinois University, Charleston, Illinois 61920, USA
J Wildl Dis 39:593-9. 2003
..We investigated 920 coyotes harvested by hunters and trappers throughout Illinois (USA) from 1995-1997...
- Mercury in fish available in supermarkets in Illinois: are there regional differences
Division of Life Sciences, Rutgers University, 604 Allison Road, Piscataway, New Jersey, 08854 8082, USA
Sci Total Environ 367:1010-6. 2006
..We examined the mercury concentration of six types of fish purchased in supermarkets in Chicago, Illinois in 2005. We measured total mercury (methylmercury accounts for about 90% of the total mercury in fish)...
- The emergence of west nile virus during a large outbreak in Illinois in 2002
Gregory D Huhn
Epidemic Intelligence Service, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 72:768-76. 2005
In 2002, the world's largest outbreak of neuroinvasive West Nile virus (WNV) disease occurred. Illinois reported 21% of the total cases in the United States, the most among all states...
- Physicians' prescribing responses to a restricted formulary: the impact of Medicaid preferred drug lists in Illinois and Louisiana
Department of Economics, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
Am J Manag Care 11:SP14-20. 2005
..To determine the extent to which the strictness of the criteria used to control utilization of drugs not on a Medicaid preferred drug list (PDL) changes physician prescribing habits for non-Medicaid patients...
- Economic burden of sexually transmitted infections: incidence and direct medical cost of Chlamydia, gonorrhea, and syphilis among Illinois adolescents and young adults, 2005-2006
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, University of Illinois, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sex Transm Dis 36:629-36. 2009
..Local assessment of sexually transmitted infections (STI) magnitude and economic burden can aid in targeting resources and prevention programs...
- Agronomic experiences with Miscanthus x giganteus in Illinois, USA
Department of Crop Sciences, University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign, IL, USA
Methods Mol Biol 581:41-52. 2009
Since 2002, researchers at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Illinois, have been studying the perennial warm-season grass Miscanthus x giganteus (M. x g.) to determine its potential as a biomass feedstock. M. x g...
- Canine surveillance system for Lyme borreliosis in Wisconsin and northern Illinois: geographic distribution and risk factor analysis
M A Guerra
Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine, Urbana, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 65:546-52. 2001
..burgdorferi was conducted among the healthy canine pet population in selected counties of Wisconsin and northern Illinois to determine the distribution of Lyme disease and associated risk factors...
- Comparison of GOES and MODIS aerosol optical depth (AOD) to aerosol robotic network (AERONET) AOD and IMPROVE PM2.5 mass at Bondville, Illinois
Division of Atmospheric Sciences, Desert Research Institute, Reno, NV 89512, USA
J Air Waste Manag Assoc 59:1082-91. 2009
..5 from AOD data problematic. Seasonal and diurnal variations in particle size distributions, RH, and seasonal changes in boundary layer height need to be accounted for to use satellite AOD to predict surface PM2.5...
- An Outbreak of Varicella among children attending preschool and elementary school in Illinois
Mark S Dworkin
Division of Infectious Diseases, Illinois Department of Public Health, Springfield, IL, USA
Clin Infect Dis 35:102-4. 2002
..of a varicella outbreak among students in preschool, kindergarten, and grades 1-3 in Winnebago County, Illinois, we found an overall varicella vaccine efficacy of 88%, evidence that the circulating virus was a wild-type ..
- Temporal changes of access to primary health care in Illinois (1990-2000) and policy implications
Department of Geography, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, Illinois 60115, USA
J Med Syst 28:287-99. 2004
This paper examines temporal changes of access to primary health care in Illinois between 1990 and 2000 in a Geographic Information System (GIS) environment...
- Microbiological survey of tofu sold in a rural Illinois county
H R Ashraf
Department of Animal Science, Food and Nutrition, College of Agriculture, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale 62901, USA
J Food Prot 62:1050-3. 1999
The purpose of this study was to determine the microbial status of tofu sold in a rural Illinois county and assess the factors contributing to the safety of tofu...
- Perspectives on rural health workforce issues: Illinois-Arkansas comparison
National Center for Rural Health Professions, University of Illinois, College of Medicine at Rockford, Rockford, IL 61107, USA
J Rural Health 25:135-40. 2009
..Past research has documented rural physician and health care professional shortages...
- Hospital utilization patterns and costs for adult sickle cell patients in Illinois
Department of Medicine, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta 30912, USA
Public Health Rep 112:44-51. 1997
To determine population size, demographic characteristics, hospital utilization patterns, the specialties of physicians providing care, and costs for hospitalized adult sickle cell patients in Illinois.
- Effect of a statewide neonatal resuscitation training program on Apgar scores among high-risk neonates in Illinois
Catholic Health Partners-Saint Joseph Hospital, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Pediatrics 107:648-55. 2001
..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the impact of the NRP instruction in Illinois hospitals by examining Apgar scores among high-risk infants who are likely to benefit from the NRP...
- Resistance to pyrethroid insecticides in Helicoverpa zea (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) in Indiana and Illinois
Department of Entomology, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
J Econ Entomol 102:2289-95. 2009
..of > or =8 were observed for the larvalbifenthrin assays in 2006 and 2007 in all colonies except for the 2007 Illinois colony...
- A randomized trial evaluating tobacco possession-use-purchase laws in the USA
Leonard A Jason
DePaul University, Center for Community Research, Chicago, IL 60614, United States
Soc Sci Med 67:1700-7. 2008
..In the present study, 24 towns in Northern Illinois were randomly assigned to one of two conditions...
- Genomic sequence analysis of the Illinois strain of the Agrotis ipsilon multiple nucleopolyhedrovirus
Robert L Harrison
Invasive Insect Biocontrol and Behavior Laboratory, USDA Agricultural Research Service, Plant Sciences Institute, Building 011A, Room 214, BARC W, 10300 Baltimore Avenue, Beltsville, MD, 20705, USA
Virus Genes 38:155-70. 2009
..ipsilon, with potential as a biopesticide to control infestations of cutworm larvae. The genome of the Illinois strain of AgipMNPV was completely sequenced...
- The Bermuda Triangle healthcare. An Illinois healthcare system closes the gaps in patient handoff communication
Robert S White
OSF HealthCare System, USA
Health Manag Technol 29:30-1. 2008
- Relationships between water quality, habitat quality, and macroinvertebrate assemblages in Illinois streams
Southern Illinois University Carbondale, Dep of Zoology and Center for Ecology, Carbondale, IL, 62901 6501, USA
J Environ Qual 36:1653-60. 2007
..We sampled 53 streams throughout Illinois and examined relationships between macroinvertebrate community structure and numerous physicochemical parameters...
- Macroinvertebrate communities in agriculturally impacted southern Illinois streams: patterns with riparian vegetation, water quality, and in-stream habitat quality
Mandy L Stone
Department of Zoology, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL 62901 6501, USA
J Environ Qual 34:907-17. 2005
..water chemistry, and macroinvertebrates were examined in headwater streams draining an agricultural region of Illinois. Macroinvertebrates and organic matter were collected monthly for one year from three intensively monitored ..
- Caregivers' utilization of health services: results from the Medicare Alzheimer's Disease Demonstration, Illinois site
Outcomes/Performance and Improvement, Coordinated Care Services, Mahomet, Illinois 61853, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 49:1600-5. 2001
..is to examine the effect of the Medicare Alzheimer's Disease Demonstration and Evaluation (MADDE) conducted in Illinois on the use of health services and Medicare expenditures by caregivers of persons with dementia...
- A census-based analysis of racial disparities in lower extremity amputation rates in Northern Illinois, 1987-2004
Division of General Internal Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
J Vasc Surg 47:1001-7; discussion 1007. 2008
..Given improvements in care for peripheral vascular disease and diabetes over the last two decades, it was of interest whether racial disparities in lower extremity amputation rates had changed...
- Antibody prevalence of West Nile virus in birds, Illinois, 2002
Adam M Ringia
Illinois Natural History Survey, Champaign, Illinois 61820, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 10:1120-4. 2004
Antibodies to West Nile virus were detected in 94 of 1,784 Illinois birds during 2002...
- Dental decay in southern Illinois migrant and seasonal farmworkers: an analysis of clinical data
Sherri M Lukes
Dental Hygiene Program, School of Allied Health, College of Applied Sciences and Arts, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL 62901, USA
J Rural Health 21:254-8. 2005
..Migrant and seasonal farmworkers are a population at risk for oral health problems. Data on the oral health conditions of migrant and seasonal farmworkers' permanent teeth are particularly lacking...
- Making public mental-health services accessible to deaf consumers: Illinois Deaf Services 2000
Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services, Illinois Department of Human Services, Office of Mental Health IDHS OMH, Chicago, USA
Am Ann Deaf 148:396-402. 2004
b>Illinois Deaf Services 2000 (IDS2000), a public/private partnership, promotes the creation and implementation of strategies to develop and increase access to mental health services for deaf, hard of hearing, late-deafened, and deaf-blind ..
- Spatial clusters of cancers in Illinois 1986-2000
Department of Geography, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, Illinois 60115 2854, USA
J Med Syst 28:237-56. 2004
..Geographic Information System (GIS) environment, to detect spatial clusters of diagnostically specific cancers in Illinois. On the basis of the cancer incidence data (the 1986-1990 and 1996-2000 data sets) from the Illinois Cancer ..
- The need for care coordination among children with special health care needs in Illinois
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, University of Illinois, at Chicago, 1603 W Taylor, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Matern Child Health J 9:S41-7. 2005
..were: 1) to estimate the need for care coordination among children with special health care needs (CSHCN) in Illinois, 2) to assess the need for care coordination among CSHCN in Illinois by sociodemographic, condition-related, and ..
- An outbreak of Cryptosporidium hominis infection at an Illinois recreational waterpark
L M Causer
Division of Parasitic Diseases, National Center of Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Epidemiol Infect 134:147-56. 2006
..In August 2001, an Illinois hospital reported a cryptosporidiosis cluster potentially linked to a local waterpark...
- The child health and illness profile-adolescent edition: assessing well-being in group homes or institutions
Sandra J Altshuler
School of Social Work, Eastern Washington University, Cheney 99004, USA
Child Welfare 81:495-513. 2002
..This study demonstrates the potential usefulness of the CHIP-AE as a tool for assessing the health and well-being of youth living in group homes and institutions. Suggestions for future use of the CHIP-AE are discussed...
- An evaluation of elementary school nutrition practices and policies in a southern Illinois county
Jennifer S Sherry
Dental Hygiene Program, School of Allied Health, Southern Illinois University Carbondale, USA
J Sch Nurs 24:222-8. 2008
The purpose of this study is to assess elementary school nutrition programs in a rural county in southern Illinois. The researcher interviewed the food service managers of eight schools and completed the School Health Index (SHI) based on ..
- Nurse knowledge, skills, and attitudes related to evidence-based practice: before and after organizational supports
School of Nursing, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL, USA
Medsurg Nurs 17:55-60. 2008
- Prevalence of endoscopic findings of erosive esophagitis in children: a population-based study
Mark A Gilger
Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston Center for Quality of Care and Utilization Studies, Veterans Administration Hospital, Houston, TX, USA
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 47:141-6. 2008
..The prevalence of such GERD complications in children is unknown. The purpose of this study was to determine the prevalence of endoscopic findings of erosive esophagitis in children...
- Clinical characteristics of youths with substance use problems and implications for residential treatment
D A Weiner
Institute for Health Services Research and Policy Studies, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, USA
Psychiatr Serv 52:793-9. 2001
..The study subjects were 564 children and adolescents in residential treatment and state custody in Florida and Illinois who had serious emotional or behavioral disturbances...
- The economic benefits of child safety seat misuse reduction programs and design improvements for children in rear seats
Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation, Calverton, Maryland, USA
Annu Proc Assoc Adv Automot Med 51:197-206. 2007
..By the early 1990s, misuse was a policy issue and misuse reduction programs were springing up...
- Can an hour or two of sun protection education keep the sunburn away? Evaluation of the Environmental Protection Agency's Sunwise School Program
Alan C Geller
Department of Dermatology, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Environ Health 2:13. 2003
..Childhood exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light increases risk for skin cancer as an adult, thus starting positive sun protection habits early may be key to reducing the incidence of this disease...
- Monkeypox outbreak among pet owners
CMAJ 169:44-5. 2003
- Inpatient management of asthma in the Chicago suburbs: the Suburban Asthma Management Initiative (SAMI)
Central DuPage Hospital, Winfield, Illinois, USA
J Asthma 42:55-63. 2005
..Previously published data have been based on survey methodology. The Suburban Asthma Consortium (SAC) sought to obtain patient-based data unique to the Chicago suburbs to improve asthma care in those areas...
- Effect of ozone and aeroallergens on the respiratory health of asthmatics
Mary A Ross
Health and Ecological Effects Group, Office of Air Quality Planning and Standards, U S Environmental Protection Agency, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, USA
Arch Environ Health 57:568-78. 2002
..A panel of 40 asthmatic subjects living near East Moline, Illinois, recorded peak expiratory flow rates (PEFRs), respiratory symptoms, frequency of asthma attacks, and asthma ..
- A sampling strategy for promoting and assessing medical student retention of physical examination skills
Reed G Williams
Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Department of Surgery, 800 North Rutledge Street, PO Box 19638, Springfield, IL 62794 9638, USA
Acad Med 82:S22-5. 2007
..The authors assessed the nature and size of physical examination performance samples necessary to accurately estimate total physical examination skill...
- The prevalence of stress urinary incontinence in high school and college-age female athletes in the midwest: implications for education and prevention
Continence Care Program, Passavant Area Hospital, Wound Ostomy Continence Services, Jacksonville, IL, USA
Urol Nurs 27:21-4, 39. 2007
..Female Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms Questionnaire, a group of young adult female athletes was surveyed in Central Illinois to identify the prevalence of stress incontinence and assess education needs...
- PTSD as a mediator of sexual revictimization: the role of reexperiencing, avoidance, and arousal symptoms
Heather J Risser
Center for the Study of Family Violence and Sexual Assault, Psychology Department, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL 60115 2892, USA
J Trauma Stress 19:687-98. 2006
..When PTSD symptom clusters were examined individually, only the hyperarousal cluster was a significant mediator. Results are discussed in terms of information-processing mechanisms that may underlie sexual revictimization...
- Perpetration of severe intimate partner violence: premilitary and second year of service rates
Lex L Merrill
Behavioral Science and Epidemiology Department, Naval Health Research Center, San Diego, CA 92186 5122, USA
Mil Med 170:705-9. 2005
..Respondents who were female, younger, and minority reported higher rates of premilitary SIPV perpetration. No demographic factors were associated with reports of SIPV perpetration during the second year...
- Family as a member of the trauma rounds: a strategy for maximized communication
William R Schiller
Southern Illinois Trauma Center, Springfield, USA
J Trauma Nurs 10:93-101. 2003
..Communication failure is the root of much dysfunction in health care and improvement would be well received. The Trauma Team chose to include family members in daily work rounds, allowing total access to team deliberations...
- Dysrhythmia management content in ADN and BSN curricula
Cardio Vascular Medicine, Inc, Davenport, Iowa, USA
J Contin Educ Nurs 39:328-33. 2008
- Nurses' perception of their work environment, health, and well-being: a qualitative perspective
Department of Family and Community Health, University of Maryland, School of Nursing, Baltimore, MD, USA
AAOHN J 52:16-22. 2004
..Based on the issues raised in the themes, recommendations are provided for improving retention while promoting nurses' health and well-being...
- Using simulation to enhance knowledge and confidence
Susan J Corbridge
ACNP program at University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
Nurse Pract 33:12-3. 2008
- Evidence of improved knowledge and skills after an elective rotation in a hospice and palliative care program for internal medicine residents
Charles F Von Gunten
Center for Palliative Studies, San Diego Hospice and Palliative Care, San Diego, California, USA
Am J Hosp Palliat Care 22:195-203. 2005
..An important limitation of the study is that it is an elective; further studies with a required rotation and/or a control group are needed to confirm the findings...
- Foster youth emancipating from care: caseworkers' reports on needs and services
Sonya J Leathers
Jane Adams College of Social Work, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, USA
Child Welfare 85:463-98. 2006
..needs, independent living skills, educational attainment, and services for 416 randomly selected foster youth in Illinois. A third of the adolescents had a mental health disorder, developmental disability, or other special need that ..
- Detecting mental disorder in juvenile detainees: who receives services
Linda A Teplin
Psycho Legal Studies Program, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, 710 N Lake Shore Drive, Suite 900, Chicago, IL 60611 3078, USA
Am J Public Health 95:1773-80. 2005
..We determined whether or not juvenile detainees with major mental disorders received treatment, and the variables that predicted who received services...
- Relational spirituality and depression in adolescent girls
Department of Clinical Psychology, Teachers College, Columbia University, New York, NY 10027, USA
J Clin Psychol 63:1021-37. 2007
..This pattern in the findings suggests that uniquely in girls, depression may be associated with disruptions in a relational form of spirituality...