Genomes and Genes
Summary: A province of eastern Canada. Its capital is Quebec. The region belonged to France from 1627 to 1763 when it was lost to the British. The name is from the Algonquian quilibek meaning the place where waters narrow, referring to the gradually narrowing channel of the St. Lawrence or to the narrows of the river at Cape Diamond. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p993 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, 1992, p440)
Publications369 found, 100 shown here
- Emergence of fluoroquinolones as the predominant risk factor for Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea: a cohort study during an epidemic in QuebecJacques Pepin
Department of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, University of Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
Clin Infect Dis 41:1254-60. 2005..CDAD) associated with a high case-fatality rate has involved >30 hospitals in the province of Quebec, Canada...
- Mortality attributable to nosocomial Clostridium difficile-associated disease during an epidemic caused by a hypervirulent strain in QuebecJacques Pepin
Department of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, University of Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Que
CMAJ 173:1037-42. 2005..disease (CDAD) caused by a hypervirulent toxinotype III ribotype 027 strain has spread to many hospitals in Quebec. The strain has also been found in the United States, the United Kingdom and the Netherlands...
- The geography of overweight in Quebec: a multilevel perspectiveAlexandre Lebel
Centre de recherche en aménagement et développement, Universite Laval, Quebec, QC
Can J Public Health 100:18-23. 2009Explore the contextual aspects of overweight in Quebec through multilevel modelling, using a purposely designed set of spatial units and a few area-based characteristics.
- An adaptation of the theory of interpersonal behaviour to the study of telemedicine adoption by physiciansMarie Pierre Gagnon
Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, Laval University, Pavillon de l Est 2180, Chemin Ste Foy, QC, G1K 7P4 Quebec, Canada
Int J Med Inform 71:103-15. 2003..All of the physicians involved in the RQTE, the extended provincial telemedicine network of Quebec (Canada) were mailed a questionnaire to identify the psychosocial determinants of their intention to adopt ..
- Pneumonia after implementation of the pneumococcal conjugate vaccine program in the province of Quebec, CanadaPhilippe De Wals
Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, Laval University, Quebec City, Canada
Pediatr Infect Dis J 27:963-8. 2008In Canada, a pneumococcal conjugate vaccine was licensed in 2001, and in the province of Quebec, a publicly-funded program was implemented for high-risk children in 2002, using a 4-dose schedule, and for all children in 2004, using a 3-..
- Effect of neighbourhood income and maternal education on birth outcomes: a population-based studyZhong Cheng Luo
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McGill University, Montreal, Que
CMAJ 174:1415-20. 2006..We sought to determine the extent to which associations between adverse birth outcomes and SES can be identified using individual-level measures (maternal level of education) and community-level measures (neighbourhood income)...
- Management and outcomes of a first recurrence of Clostridium difficile-associated disease in Quebec, CanadaJacques Pepin
Department of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, University of Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
Clin Infect Dis 42:758-64. 2006....
- Risk factors for adult overweight and obesity in the Quebec Family Study: have we been barking up the wrong tree?Jean Philippe Chaput
Division of Kinesiology, Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Laval University, and Quebec Heart Institute, Hôpital Laval Research Center, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
Obesity (Silver Spring) 17:1964-70. 2009..for nine risk factors for overweight and obesity assessed in adult participants (aged 18-64 years) of the Quebec Family Study (QFS). The main outcome measure was overweight/obesity, defined as a BMI>or=25 kg/m2...
- Spatial variability of climate effects on ischemic heart disease hospitalization rates for the period 1989-2006 in Quebec, CanadaLampouguin Bayentin
Institut National de la Recherche Scientifique Eau, Terre et Environnement, 490 de la Couronne, Quebec, QC G1K 9A9, Canada
Int J Health Geogr 9:5. 2010..The short-term effect of climate conditions on the incidence of ischemic heart disease (IHD) over the 1989-2006 period was examined for Quebec's 18 health regions.
- Nausea and vomiting of pregnancy: what about quality of life?A Lacasse
Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
BJOG 115:1484-93. 2008..The objective of this study was to determine the impact of nausea and vomiting of pregnancy (NVP) and other determinants on generic and NVP-specific health-related quality of life (QOL) in the first trimester of pregnancy...
- Pregnancy planning and folic acid supplement use: results from a survey in QuebecPascale Morin
Department of Community Health Sciences, University of Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
Prev Med 35:143-9. 2002..The aim of the study was to describe the association between pregnancy planning and vitamin supplement use...
- Mortality and cancer experience of Quebec aluminum reduction plant workers. Part 3: monitoring the mortality of workers first employed after January 1, 1950Graham W Gibbs
Safety Health Environment International Consultant Corp, Devon, Alberta, Canada, T9G 1Y1
J Occup Environ Med 49:1269-87. 2007To monitor changes over time in mortality of workers first employed in Quebec aluminum smelters after January 1, 1950 (1951-one cohort).
- Mother's death and child survival: the case of early QuebecSamuel Pavard
Laboratoire d Anthropologie Biologique, CNRS FRE 2292 Musée de l Homme, Paris, France
J Biosoc Sci 37:209-27. 2005..Using comprehensive data on the early French Canadian population of Quebec, evidence is provided for a higher risk of dying for motherless children that remains significant over all ..
- Maedi-visna impact on productivity in Quebec sheep flocks (Canada)Julie Arsenault
Faculte de Medecine Veterinaire, Universite de Montreal, 3200 rue Sicotte, C P 5000, Saint Hyacinthe, Que, Canada J2S 7C6
Prev Vet Med 59:125-37. 2003..the impact of maedi-visna (MV) seropositivity on productivity in commercial sheep flocks of the province of Quebec, Canada...
- Dental caries in Quebec adults aged 35 to 44 yearsJ M Brodeur
Department of Preventive Medicine, Montreal University, Quebec
J Can Dent Assoc 66:374-9. 2000The purpose of this study was to assess the prevalence of dental caries in Quebec adults aged 35 to 44.
- Endemic and epidemic lineages of Escherichia coli that cause urinary tract infectionsAmee R Manges
Department of Epidemiology, Biostatistics and Occupational Health, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Emerg Infect Dis 14:1575-83. 2008..Two clonal groups were identified in both locations. Epidemic transmission followed by endemic transmission of UTI-causing clonal groups may explain these clusters of UTI cases...
- Completed suicides among the Inuit of northern Quebec, 1982-1996: a case-control studyL J Boothroyd
Aboriginal Mental Health Research Team, Culture and Mental Health Research Unit, Institute of Community and Family Psychiatry, Sir Mortimer B. Davis-Jewish General Hospital, Montreal, Que
CMAJ 165:749-55. 2001..among Inuit in Canada has been alarmingly high in recent years, and the suicide rate among Inuit in northern Quebec has increased since 1982...
- Poverty and chronic illness in early childhood: a comparison between the United kingdom and QuebecBéatrice Nikiema
FRCP, MPhil, University of Warwick, School of Health and Social Studies, Coventry CV4 7AL, United Kingdom
Pediatrics 125:e499-507. 2010..and fourth years of life and cumulatively in the first and fourth years of life, and the health of children in the fourth year of life in the UK Millennium Cohort Study and in the Quebec Longitudinal Study of Child Development (QLSCD).
- Association of paraoxonase gene cluster polymorphisms with ALS in France, Quebec, and SwedenP N Valdmanis
Center of Excellence in Neuromics, University of Montreal, CHUM Research Center, Notre Dame Hospital, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Neurology 71:514-20. 2008..In addition, PON variants were shown to be associated with susceptibility to ALS in several North American and European populations...
- Population history and its impact on medical genetics in QuebecA M Laberge
Service de Genetique Medicale, Hopital Ste Justine, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Clin Genet 68:287-301. 2005Knowledge of the genetic demography of Quebec is useful for gene mapping, diagnosis, treatment, community genetics and public health...
- Comparing alternative approaches to measuring the geographical accessibility of urban health services: Distance types and aggregation-error issuesPhilippe Apparicio
Spatial Analysis and Regional Economics Laboratory, Universite du Quebec, Institut National de la Recherche Scientifique, Urbanisation, Culture et Société, 385 rue Sherbrooke est, Montreal Quebec, H2X 1E3, Canada
Int J Health Geogr 7:7. 2008..The aim of this paper is to compare discrepancies in results for geographical accessibility of selected health care services for residential areas (i.e. census tracts) computed using different distance types and aggregation methods...
- Cancer incidence and mortality among Aboriginal people living on reserves and northern villages in Quebec, 1988-2004Robiâ Louchini
Institut National de Sante Publique du Quebec, Quebec, Canada
Int J Circumpolar Health 67:445-51. 2008....
- Plants used by the Cree Nation of Eeyou Istchee (Quebec, Canada) for the treatment of diabetes: A novel approach in quantitative ethnobotanyC Leduc
Institut de recherche en biologie végétale, Jardin botanique de Montréal, Universite de Montreal, 4101 Sherbrooke East, Montreal, Que, Canada H1X 2B2
J Ethnopharmacol 105:55-63. 2006..This article demonstrates the applicability of various underutilized quantitative tools in ethnobotany, while taking a convincing preliminary step towards a therapy more in harmony with Cree culture and lifestyle...
- Development and validation of a food frequency questionnaireBryna Shatenstein
Centre de Recherche, Institut Universitaire de Geriatrie de Montreal, Departement de Nutrition, Universite de Montreal, PQ
Can J Diet Pract Res 66:67-75. 2005..The FFQ was used to capture usual long-term food consumption among adults living in Quebec. A representative sample of adults aged 18 to 82 (57% female) was recruited by random digit dialling in the ..
- Short sleep duration is associated with reduced leptin levels and increased adiposity: Results from the Quebec family studyJean Philippe Chaput
Division of Kinesiology, Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Laval University, Ste Foy, Quebec, Canada
Obesity (Silver Spring) 15:253-61. 2007..To explore cross-sectional associations between short sleep duration and variations in body fat indices and leptin levels during adulthood in a sample of men and women involved in the Québec Family Study...
- Relationship between multimorbidity and health-related quality of life of patients in primary careMartin Fortin
Department of Family Medicine, Sherbrooke University, Sherbrooke, Que, Canada
Qual Life Res 15:83-91. 2006..05). Increased multimorbidity adversely affected HRQOL in primary-care adult patients, even when confounding variables were controlled for...
- Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea in a region of Quebec from 1991 to 2003: a changing pattern of disease severityJacques Pepin
Department of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, University of Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Que
CMAJ 171:466-72. 2004..difficile-associated diarrhea (CDAD) in our institution. We describe cases of CDAD at our institution over a 13-year period and investigate changes in illness severity...
- Sleep duration as a risk factor for the development of type 2 diabetes or impaired glucose tolerance: analyses of the Quebec Family StudyJean Philippe Chaput
Division of Kinesiology, Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Laval University, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
Sleep Med 10:919-24. 2009..To examine the long-term relationship between sleep duration and type 2 diabetes or impaired glucose tolerance (IGT)...
- Shared and specific susceptibility loci for schizophrenia and bipolar disorder: a dense genome scan in Eastern Quebec familiesM Maziade
Department of Psychiatry, Laval University, Quebec G1J 2G3, Canada
Mol Psychiatry 10:486-99. 2005..To this end, we performed a dense genome scan in a first sample of 21 multigenerational families of Eastern Quebec affected by SZ, BP or both (N=480 family members)...
- Adiponectin and adiponectin receptor gene variants in relation to resting metabolic rate, respiratory quotient, and adiposity-related phenotypes in the Quebec Family StudyRuth J F Loos
Human Genomics Laboratory, Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Baton Rouge, LA 70808, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 85:26-34. 2007..Despite adiponectin's presumed role in fatty acid oxidation and energy homeostasis, little is known about the effect of gene variants on substrate oxidation, energy expenditure, and adiposity-related phenotypes...
- Human genetics: lessons from Quebec populationsC R Scriver
Departments of Human Genetics, Pediatrics, and Biology, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Annu Rev Genomics Hum Genet 2:69-101. 2001The population of Quebec, Canada (7.3 million) contains approximately 6 million French Canadians; they are the descendants of approximately 8500 permanent French settlers who colonized Nouvelle France between 1608 and 1759...
- [The limited spectrum of pathogenic BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations in the French Canadian breast and breast-ovarian cancer families, a founder population of Quebec, Canada]Patricia N Tonin
Department of Medicine, McGill University, and The Research Institute of the McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Bull Cancer 93:841-6. 2006The unique genetic demography of the French Canadian population of Quebec, Canada, has provided a means to study the contribution of BRCA1 and BRCA2, the breast-ovarian cancer susceptibility genes...
- Total cholesterol/HDL cholesterol ratio vs LDL cholesterol/HDL cholesterol ratio as indices of ischemic heart disease risk in men: the Quebec Cardiovascular StudyI Lemieux
Quebec Heart Institute, Laval Hospital Research Center, 2725, chemin Sainte-Foy, Sainte-Foy, Quebec G1V 4G5, Canada
Arch Intern Med 161:2685-92. 2001..measurements of the metabolic profile were performed in the fasting state were recruited from 7 suburbs of the Quebec metropolitan area...
- Community engagement in genetic research: results of the first public consultation for the Quebec CARTaGENE projectBéatrice Godard
Bioethics Programs, Faculty of Medicine, University of Montreal, Montreal, QC, Canada
Community Genet 10:147-58. 2007..presents the results of the first public consultation for the creation of a large-scale genetic database, the Quebec CARTaGENE project...
- Staying connected: neighbourhood correlates of social participation among older adults living in an urban environment in Montréal, QuebecLucie Richard
Faculty of Nursing, Universite de Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Health Promot Int 24:46-57. 2009..Also included was a negative predictor: age (R2 of the final model = 0.28). Implications of the findings for research and action pertaining to ecological, health promotion interventions for older adults are identified...
- Tuberculosis in the Inuit community of Quebec, CanadaDao Nguyen
Department of Medicine and Research Institute, McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 168:1353-7. 2003..epidemiology study of all culture-positive Mycobacterium tuberculosis cases in the Arctic Inuit communities of Quebec from 1990 until 2000...
- Evidence of a quantitative trait locus for energy and macronutrient intakes on chromosome 3q27.3: the Quebec Family StudyAnne C Choquette
Division of Kinesiology, Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Laval University, Quebec, Canada
Am J Clin Nutr 88:1142-8. 2008..Little is known about the genes influencing dietary energy and nutrient intakes, despite evidence that these intakes are influenced by genetic factors...
- The relation of environmental contaminants exposure to behavioral indicators in Inuit preschoolers in Arctic QuebecP Plusquellec
CHUQ Research Center, Quebec, QC, Canada
Neurotoxicology 31:17-25. 2010..The sample consisted of one hundred and ten 5-year-old Inuit children from Arctic Quebec. An umbilical cord blood sample was used to document prenatal exposure to Pb, PCBs and Hg...
- Molecular and genealogical characterization of the R1443X BRCA1 mutation in high-risk French-Canadian breast/ovarian cancer familiesHelene Vezina
Interdisciplinary Research Group on Demography and Genetic Epidemiology GRIG, University of Quebec at Chicoutimi, Chicoutimi, Canada, G7H 2B1
Hum Genet 117:119-32. 2005The Quebec population contains about six-million French Canadians, descended from the French settlers who colonized "Nouvelle-France" between 1608 and 1765...
- Anthocyanins in wild blueberries of Quebec: extraction and identificationEugéne Emile Nicoué
Department of Food Sciences and Nutrition, Universite Laval, FSAA, Sainte Foy, Quebec G1K 7P4, Canada
J Agric Food Chem 55:5626-35. 2007..In addition to well-known major anthocyanins, new anthocyanins were identified for the first time in extracts of wild blueberries from Quebec.
- Relationship between multimorbidity and physical activity: secondary analysis from the Quebec health surveyCatherine Hudon
Department of Family Medicine, Sherbrooke University, Quebec, Canada
BMC Public Health 8:304. 2008....
- Is lipoprotein(a) an independent risk factor for ischemic heart disease in men? The Quebec Cardiovascular StudyB Cantin
Lipid Research Centre, Laval University Medical Centre and Faculty of Medicine, Laval University, Ste Foy, Quebec, Canada
J Am Coll Cardiol 31:519-25. 1998..This study was undertaken to determine whether lipoprotein(a) [Lp(a)] is an independent risk factor for ischemic heart disease (IHD) and to establish the relation of Lp(a) to the other lipid fractions...
- Risks of adverse pregnancy outcomes among Inuit and North American Indian women in Quebec, 1985-97Zhong Cheng Luo
Departments of Epidemiology and Biostatistics and of Pediatrics, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 18:40-50. 2004..other ethnic women in Quebec, 1985-97 (1 125 462 singleton births)...
- Effectiveness of a mass immunization campaign against serogroup C meningococcal disease in QuebecP De Wals
Département des sciences de la santé communautaire, Universite de Sherbrooke, 3001 12th Ave N, Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada J1H 5N4
JAMA 285:177-81. 2001An outbreak of meningococcal disease in Quebec province prompted a mass immunization program. The impact of this campaign on the epidemiology of meningococcal disease has not been studied.
- Giardia duodenalis and Cryptosporidium spp. in the intestinal contents of ringed seals (Phoca hispida) and bearded seals (Erignathus barbatus) in Nunavik, Quebec, CanadaBrent R Dixon
Microbiology Research Division, Food Directorate, Health Canada, Banting Research Centre 2204E, 251 Sir Frederick Banting Driveway, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Parasitol 94:1161-3. 2008..was determined for ringed and bearded seals harvested for food in the Nunavik region in northern Quebec, Canada. Flow cytometric results demonstrated that G...
- Prevalence and age distribution of human papillomavirus infection in a population of Inuit women in Nunavik, QuebecLauren Kay Hamlin-Douglas
Department of Epidemiology, Biostatistics and Occupational Health, McGill University, Canada
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 17:3141-9. 2008Our aim was to study the prevalence and age distribution of human papillomavirus (HPV) infection among Inuit women in Nunavik, northern Quebec, a population at high risk of cervical cancer.
- Reduced physician claims for otitis media after implementation of pneumococcal conjugate vaccine program in the province of Quebec, CanadaPhilippe De Wals
Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, Laval University, Quebec City, Canada
Pediatr Infect Dis J 28:e271-5. 2009In Canada, a 7-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV-7) was licensed in 2001, and free vaccination of children <5 years of age was offered in December 2004 in the province of Quebec.
- From evidence to community practice in work rehabilitation: the Quebec experiencePatrick Loisel
Department of Surgery, Division of Orthopedics, Sherbrooke University, Charles LeMoyne Hospital, 1111 St Charles Street West, Suite 101, Longueuil, Quebec J4K 5G4, Canada
Clin J Pain 19:105-13. 2003..Possible solutions to the problem of prolonged back pain disability have emerged from recent research but few efforts have been made to transfer evidence-based programs to large community settings...
- Prevalence of 'hypertriglyceridemic waist' in men who participated in the Quebec Health Survey: association with atherogenic and diabetogenic metabolic risk factorsIsabelle Lemieux
Quebec Heart Institute, Laval Hospital Research Center, Laval University, Sainte Foy, Quebec
Can J Cardiol 18:725-32. 2002..0 mmol/L or higher) in men has been shown to be associated with this atherogenic metabolic triad, with a probability of more than 80%...
- The potential impact of climate change on annual and seasonal mortality for three cities in Québec, CanadaBernard Doyon
DRBEO, Institut National de Sante Publique du Quebec, 945 ave, Wolfe, Quebec, G1V 5B3, Canada
Int J Health Geogr 7:23. 2008..The impact of climate change and particularly increasing temperature on mortality has been examined for three cities in the province of Québec, Canada...
- Multilocus sequence typing of Campylobacter jejuni isolates from humans, chickens, raw milk, and environmental water in Quebec, CanadaSimon Levesque
Department of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Faculté de Médecine de l Université de Sherbrooke, 3001, 12e Avenue Nord, Sherbrooke, Quebec J1H 5N4, Canada
J Clin Microbiol 46:3404-11. 2008..Although MLST is labor-intensive and expensive, it remains the single best method for the genotyping of C. jejuni isolates and deciphering the epidemiologic relationships among isolates...
- Shared neurocognitive dysfunctions in young offspring at extreme risk for schizophrenia or bipolar disorder in eastern quebec multigenerational familiesMichel Maziade
Centre de Recherche Universite Laval Robert Giffard, 2601, Chemin de Canardiére, F 4500, Québec QC G1J 2G3, Canada
Schizophr Bull 35:919-30. 2009..This study examines the cognitive functioning of high-risk (HR) offspring of parents having schizophrenia (HRSZ) and high-risk offspring of parents having bipolar disorder (HRBP) descending from densely affected kindreds...
- Replication of linkage with bipolar disorder on chromosome 16p in the Eastern Quebec populationChantal Mérette
Department of Psychiatry, Laval University, Quebec, Canada
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 147:737-44. 2008..05) on chromosome 16p for bipolar affective disorder (BP) in 21 kindreds from Eastern Quebec, a population characterized by a founder effect...
- Housing characteristics and indoor concentrations of nitrogen dioxide and formaldehyde in Quebec City, CanadaNicolas L Gilbert
Air Health Effects Division, Health Canada, 269 Laurier Avenue West, PL 4903B, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1A 0K9
Environ Res 102:1-8. 2006Concentrations of nitrogen dioxide and formaldehyde were determined in a study of 96 homes in Quebec City, Canada, between January and April 2005...
- Prevalence of and carcass condemnation from maedi-visna, paratuberculosis and caseous lymphadenitis in culled sheep from Quebec, CanadaJulie Arsenault
Faculte de Medecine Veterinaire, Universite de Montreal, 3200 rue Sicotte, C P 5000, Quebec, J2S 7C6, Saint Hyacinthe, Canada
Prev Vet Med 59:67-81. 2003..Total of 451 ewes and 34 rams were selected randomly from two slaughterhouses in Quebec, Canada. MV serostatus was determined by recombinant ELISA test...
- Framing the biosocial pathways underlying associations between place and cardiometabolic diseaseMark Daniel
Centre de recherche du Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, Axe santé des populations, 3875 rue Saint Urbain, Bureau 301, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Health Place 14:117-32. 2008....
- The dental care pathway of welfare recipients in QuebecChristophe Bedos
Faculty of Dentistry, McGill University, 3640 University Strathcona Building, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A 2B2
Soc Sci Med 57:2089-99. 2003IN Quebec (Canada), the utilization of dental care services varies greatly from one social class to another: whereas the well-to-do visit the dentist often for check-ups, those most in need demonstrate a "wait-and-see" attitude...
- Increasing risk of relapse after treatment of Clostridium difficile colitis in Quebec, CanadaJacques Pepin
Department of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, University of Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
Clin Infect Dis 40:1591-7. 2005Clinicians who treat patients with Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea (CDAD) in Quebec, Canada, have noted an apparent increase in the proportion of patients who experience relapse.
- A multi-perspective approach for defining neighbourhood units in the context of a study on health inequalities in the Quebec City regionAlexandre Lebel
Centre de recherche en aménagement et développement, Universite Laval, Quebec, Canada
Int J Health Geogr 6:27. 2007..This article introduces a new approach to defining neighbourhood units which is based on the integration of elements stemming from the socioeconomic situation of the area, its history, and how it is perceived by local key actors...
- Sarcopenic/obesity and physical capacity in older men and women: data from the Nutrition as a Determinant of Successful Aging (NuAge)-the Quebec longitudinal StudyDanielle R Bouchard
Research Centre on Aging, Health and Social Services Centre, University Institute of Geriatrics of Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
Obesity (Silver Spring) 17:2082-8. 2009..Obesity per se appears to contribute more to lower physical capacity than sarcopenia...
- Characterization of household food insecurity in Québec: food and feelingsAnne Marie Hamelin
Psychosocial Research Division, Douglas Hospital Research Centre, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Soc Sci Med 54:119-32. 2002..This study underlines the monotony of the diet, describes the feeling of alienation, differentiates between a lack of food and the reactions that it engenders, and emphasizes the dynamic nature of the experience...
- Mortality and cancer experience of Quebec aluminum reduction plant workers. Part 2: mortality of three cohorts hired on or before january 1, 1951Graham W Gibbs
Safety Health Environment International Consultants Corp, Devon, Alberta, Canada
J Occup Environ Med 49:1105-23. 2007To describe the mortality of Quebec aluminum smelter workers employed before 1951.
- Intermittent claudication: From its risk factors to its long-term prognosis in men. The Quebec Cardiovascular StudyA St-Pierre
Institut Universitaire de Cardiologie et de Pneumologie de Quebec, Universite Laval, Quebec City, Canada
Can J Cardiol 26:17-21. 2010..The natural history of intermittent claudication, from its risk factors to its cardiovascular prognosis, has been reported in few prospective studies...
- Impact of PRISMA, a coordination-type integrated service delivery system for frail older people in Quebec (Canada): A quasi-experimental studyRéjean Hébert
Universite de Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 65:107-18. 2010..To evaluate the impact of a coordination-type integrated service delivery (ISD) model on health, satisfaction, empowerment, and services utilization of frail older people...
- Age at onset of narcolepsy in two large populations of patients in France and QuebecY Dauvilliers
Service de Neurologie B, Unite des troubles du sommeil, Hopital Gui de Chauliac, Montpellier, France
Neurology 57:2029-33. 2001..Narcolepsy usually starts around adolescence; however, there is great variability in the clinical presentation of narcolepsy...
- The emergence of a new strain of porcine circovirus-2 in Ontario and Quebec swine and its association with severe porcine circovirus associated disease--2004-2006Susy Carman
Animal Health Laboratory, Laboratory Services Division, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario N1G 2W1
Can J Vet Res 72:259-68. 2008..This enhanced virulence in pigs infected with PCV-2 RFLP type 321 strain may be related to the genetic differences in this new strain of PCV-2. This virus is now the dominant strain of PCV-2 virus found in Ontario and Quebec swine.
- Manganese levels during pregnancy and at birth: relation to environmental factors and smoking in a Southwest Quebec populationLarissa Takser
CINBIOSE, Universite du Quebec a Montreal, C P 8888, Succ Centre Ville, Montreal, Quebec H3C 3P8, Canada
Environ Res 95:119-25. 2004..Pregnant women from Southwest Quebec were recruited in the first or second trimester through the public health prenatal program Mn was analyzed in ..
- Recognizing osteoporosis and its consequences in Quebec (ROCQ): background, rationale, and methods of an anti-fracture patient health-management programmeLouis Bessette
University of Laval, Department of Rheumatology, Sainte Foy, PQ, Canada
Contemp Clin Trials 29:194-210. 2008Recognizing Osteoporosis and its Consequences in Quebec (ROCQ) is an ongoing patient health-management programme aimed at evaluating the diagnostic and treatment care gaps for osteoporosis following a fragility fracture, and subsequently ..
- Invasive meningococcal disease in Quebec, Canada, due to an emerging clone of ST-269 serogroup B meningococci with serotype antigen 17 and serosubtype antigen P1.19 (B:17:P1.19)Dennis K S Law
National Microbiology Laboratory, Public Health Agency of Canada, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
J Clin Microbiol 44:2743-9. 2006..The emergence of this clone of serogroup B meningococci occurred after a mass vaccination against serogroup C N. meningitidis, suggesting possible capsule replacement...
- Cultural consultation: a model of mental health service for multicultural societiesLaurence J Kirmayer
Division of Social and Transcultural Psychiatry, McGill University, Culture and Mental Health Research Unit, Sir Mortimer B Davis Jewish General Hospital, Montreal, Quebec
Can J Psychiatry 48:145-53. 2003..Cultural consultations were based on an expanded version of the DSM-IV cultural formulation and made use of cultural consultants and culture brokers...
- Disparities in pregnancy outcomes according to marital and cohabitation statusZhong Cheng Luo
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Obstet Gynecol 103:1300-7. 2004..To assess the risks and trends of adverse pregnancy outcomes among mothers in common-law unions versus traditional marriage relationships...
- Sustained active transportation is associated with a favorable body mass index trajectory across the early school years: findings from the Quebec Longitudinal Study of Child Development birth cohortRoman Pabayo
Faculte de Medecine, CRCHUM Centre de Recherche du Centre Hospitalier de l Université de Montréal, Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, and Centre de recherche Léa Roback sur les inégalités sociales de santé de Montréal, Universite de Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Prev Med 50:S59-64. 2010..To determine the extent to which active transportation (AT) to and from school is associated with changes in body mass index (BMI) from kindergarten (6-year-olds) through grade 2 (8-year-olds)...
- Patients' report of help provided by relatives and services to meet their needsMarie Josee Fleury
Department of Psychiatry, Douglas Hospital Research Centre, McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada
Community Ment Health J 44:271-81. 2008..Factors that influence help are also examined. Data collection is based on a random sample of 186 Quebec outpatients. Patients' needs were assessed using the Camberwell Assessment of Need...
- Rapid two-stage emergency department intervention for seniors: impact on continuity of careJane McCusker
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Community Studies, St Mary s Hospital, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Acad Emerg Med 10:233-43. 2003..In this study, the authors investigated the effects of the intervention on the process of care at, and during the month after, the ED visit...
- Beneficial effects of a polyunsaturated fatty acid on infant development: evidence from the inuit of arctic QuebecJoseph L Jacobson
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neurosciences, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan, USA
J Pediatr 152:356-64. 2008....
- Impact of diabetes and gender on survival after acute myocardial infarction in the Province of Quebec, Canada--a population-based studyN Ouhoummane
National Public Health Institute of Quebec, Quebec, QC, Canada
Diabet Med 26:609-16. 2009..To examine the impact of diabetes, gender and their interaction on 30-day, 1-year and 5-year post-acute myocardial infarction (AMI) mortality in three age groups (20-64, 65-74 and > or = 75 years)...
- A deprivation index for health and welfare planning in QuebecR Pampalon
Institut National de Sante Publique du Quebec, Chemin Sainte Foy, Québec G1S 2L4
Chronic Dis Can 21:104-13. 2000Given that one of the goals of public health policy in Quebec and Canada is to reduce social inequalities in health and welfare, it is surprising, to say the least, that most information systems in this field make no mention of people's ..
- Prevalence of cardiometabolic risk factors by weight status in a population-based sample of Quebec children and adolescentsMarie Lambert
Department of Pediatrics, Universite de Montreal, CHU Sainte Justine, Montreal, Canada
Can J Cardiol 24:575-83. 2008..There are few data on the prevalence of cardiometabolic risk factors in population-based samples of overweight and obese youth...
- Factors influencing the initiation and duration of breastfeeding among low-income women followed by the Canada prenatal nutrition program in 4 regions of quebecIsabel Simard
J Hum Lact 21:327-37. 2005..Understanding factors associated with initiation and duration of breastfeeding among low-income women is critical to better target breastfeeding promotion...
- Resting metabolic rate and respiratory quotient: results from a genome-wide scan in the Quebec Family StudyPeter Jacobson
Human Genomics Laboratory, Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Baton Rouge, LA 70808, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 84:1527-33. 2006....
- Genetic heterogeneity in regional populations of Quebec--parental lineages in the Gaspe PeninsulaClaudia Moreau
Centre de Recherche, CHU Sainte Justine, Montreal, PQ, Canada H3T 1C5
Am J Phys Anthropol 139:512-22. 2009..Distinct settlement history, a limited number of founders and relative genetic isolation contributed to the regionalization of the Quebec gene pool that appears less homogenous than usually anticipated.
- The impact of media coverage of the suicide of a well-known Quebec reporter: the case of Gaëtan GirouardMichel Tousignant
CRISE, Universite du Quebec a Montreal, Case Postale 8888, Succursale Centre Ville, Montreal, Que, Canada H3C 3P8
Soc Sci Med 60:1919-26. 2005..the effects of the media coverage following the suicide of a well-known and popular television reporter in Quebec, Canada...
- The determinants of successful collaboration: a review of theoretical and empirical studiesLeticia San Martin-Rodriguez
Department of Family Medicine, University of Montreal and Centre de Recherche du Centre Hospitalier de l Université de Montréal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Interprof Care 19:132-47. 2005..Furthermore, our overview of experience at the Canadian HTF suggests that a systemic approach should be adopted in evaluative research on the determinants of effective collaborative practice...
- A retrospective review of rheumatology referral wait times within a health centre in Quebec, CanadaJunyi Qian
Division of Clinical Epidemiology, Research Institute of the McGill University Health Centre, Royal Victoria Hospital, 687 Pine Avenue West, V Building, Room V2 09, Montreal, QC, Canada
Rheumatol Int 30:705-7. 2010..Implementation of a rapid access program or triage system may be helpful to further decrease wait times for inflammatory arthropathies...
- Deprivation and stroke mortality in QuebecJérôme Martinez
Institut National de Sante Publique du Quebec, Montreal, Québec and Institut National de Recherche Scientifique Urbanisation, Culture et Société, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Chronic Dis Can 24:57-64. 2003Cerebrovascular accidents (CVAs) constitute an important cause of disability and death in Quebec. Among the primary CVA risk factors, certain socioeconomic characteristics of individuals and living environments appear to play a central ..
- Assessment of exposure to pyrethroids and pyrethrins in a rural population of the Montérégie area, Quebec, CanadaCaroline Couture
Departement de sante environnementale et sante au travail, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Occup Environ Hyg 6:341-52. 2009..toxic pesticides, their neurotoxic properties can affect humans, but current exposure levels in the population of Quebec are not known...
- Prevalence of severe congenital heart disease after folic acid fortification of grain products: time trend analysis in Quebec, CanadaRaluca Ionescu-Ittu
Department of Epidemiology, Biostatistics and Occupational Health, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
BMJ 338:b1673. 2009..To investigate whether the 1998 government policy for mandatory fortification of flour and pasta products with folate was followed by a reduction in the prevalence of severe congenital heart defects...
- Risk factors and impacts of clinical and subclinical mastitis in commercial meat-producing sheep flocks in Quebec, CanadaJulie Arsenault
Faculte de Medecine Veterinaire, Universite de Montreal, 3200 rue Sicotte, C P 5000, Saint Hyacinthe, Quebec J2S 7C6, Canada
Prev Vet Med 87:373-93. 2008..clinical and subclinical mastitis in 30 commercial meat-producing sheep flocks from 2 regions of the province of Quebec, Canada. A total of 2,792 ewes selected in late gestation were followed from lambing to weaning of lambs...
- Depression and mortality in the visually-impaired, community-dwelling, elderly population of QuebecMarie Tournier
Centre for Clinical Epidemiology and Community Studies, Sir Mortimer B Davis SMBD Jewish General Hospital, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Acta Ophthalmol 86:196-201. 2008..To assess the effect of visual impairment (VI) on the risk of depression or death in the community-dwelling elderly population...
- The combination of effects on lung cancer of cigarette smoking and exposure in quebec chrysotile miners and millersF D K Liddell
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Ann Occup Hyg 46:5-13. 2002..The criteria for entry to the current study were met by 7279 men in the 1891-1920 birth cohort of Quebec chrysotile miners and millers...
- Molecular characterization of hepatitis E virus detected in swine farms in the province of QuebecPierre Ward
Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, Food Research and Development Centre, 3600 Casavant Blvd West, St Hyacinthe, Quebec J2S 8E3
Can J Vet Res 72:27-31. 2008..60% of 6-mo-old commercial pigs are seropositive for HEV; the prevalence is higher in the provinces of Quebec and Ontario...
- The evolution of stroke in Quebec: a 15-year perspectiveNancy E Mayo
Division of Clinical Epidemiology, McGill University Health Center, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Neurology 68:1122-7. 2007To estimate changes in rates of cerebral infarction and intracerebral hemorrhage, comorbidity profile, and case fatality rates in Quebec over 15 years.
- Occupational health problems and injuries among Quebec's physical educatorsJean Lemoyne
Département des sciences de l activité physique, Universite du Quebec a Trois Rivieres, 3351, boul des Forges, C P 500, Trois Rivieres Quebec, Canada G9A 5H7
Appl Ergon 38:625-34. 2007..PEs gave long periods of standing the highest rating for movements or positions most likely to cause them occupational injuries. It can thus be suggested to find ways to reduce standing position sustained for long periods...
- C. difficile may have killed 2000 in Quebec: studyLaura Eggertson
CMAJ 173:1020-1. 2005
- Impact of a mass immunization campaign against serogroup C meningococcus in the Province of Quebec, CanadaP De Wals
Community Health Sciences Department, Centre hospitalier universitaire de Sherbrooke C H U S, Quebec, Canada
Bull World Health Organ 74:407-11. 1996A mass immunization campaign was conducted in the Province of Quebec, Canada, during the winter of 1993, following an increase in the incidence of meningococcal disease, which was mainly caused by a virulent clone of Neisseria ..
- Congenital heart disease in the general population: changing prevalence and age distributionAriane J Marelli
McGill Adult Unit for Congenital Heart Disease, McGill University Health Center, 1650 Cedar Ave, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3G 1A4
Circulation 115:163-72. 2007..We determined the prevalence, age distribution, and proportion of adults and children with severe and other forms of CHD in the general population from 1985 to 2000...
- Genetic characterization of Cryptosporidium isolates from ringed seals (Phoca hispida) in Northern Quebec, CanadaMonica Santin
Environmental Microbial Safety Laboratory, Animal and Natural Resources Institute Agricultural Research Service, United States Department of Agriculture, Building 173, BARC East, 10300 Baltimore Avenue, Beltsville, Maryland 20705, USA
J Parasitol 91:712-6. 2005..isolates identified from intestinal contents of ringed seals (Phoca hispida) from Nunavik (Quebec, Canada). Cryptosporidium spp...
- Correlates of diet quality in the Quebec populationIsabelle Huot
Department of Nutrition, University of Montreal, Montreal, Canada
Public Health Nutr 7:1009-16. 2004To determine the correlates of a high-fat diet in urban, suburban and rural areas of Quebec, Canada.
- Selected plant species from the Cree pharmacopoeia of northern Quebec possess anti-diabetic potentialDanielle C A Spoor
Department of Pharmacology, Universite de Montreal, P O Box 6128, Centre Ville Station, Montreal, QC H3C 3J7, Canada
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 84:847-58. 2006..Some populations, such as aboriginal peoples, are particularly at risk for this disease. In the Cree Nation of Quebec, Canada, prevalence in adults is approaching 20%, and the consequences are compounded by low compliance with ..
- Prevalence of non-cavitated and cavitated carious lesions in a random sample of 7-9-year-old schoolchildren in Montreal, QuebecA I Ismail
Faculty of Dentistry, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, Canada
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 20:250-5. 1992..cavitated carious lesions in 911 randomly selected children in grades one through three on the Island of Montreal, Quebec, Canada...
- A novel interaction between dietary composition and insulin secretion: effects on weight gain in the Quebec Family StudyJean Philippe Chaput
Division of Kinesiology, Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Laval University, Quebec City, Canada
Am J Clin Nutr 87:303-9. 2008..This variation has been attributed to psychological and behavioral factors, although biological differences may also play a role...
- 6th Orthomyxovirus Research ConferenceSTACEY L SCHULTZ-CHERRY; Fiscal Year: 2012..Conference (affectionately termed the "Young Flu" meeting) will be held at the Hotel Chateau Bromont in Bromont, Quebec, Canada (1 hour outside Montreal) September 19th - 22nd, 2012...
- Environmental Mutagen Society 2011 Annual MeetingCATHERINE G B KLEIN; Fiscal Year: 2011..The 42nd Annual Meeting of the EMS will be held in Montreal, Quebec, Canada from October 15-19, 2012...
- Retinal Degeneration ConferenceRobert E Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2010..The 2010 meeting will be held in Mont Tremblant, Quebec, and Canada on July 13 - 17 as a satellite of the XIX Biennial Meeting of the International Society for Eye ..
- University of Montreal Cardiac Surgery Clinical Investigation GroupLOUIS PAUL PERRAULT; Fiscal Year: 2013..over 3000 patients by 17 surgeons which represents close to 50% of the cardiac surgical volume of the Province of Quebec (population 8 million)...
- Biennial Symposium of H. ducreyi Pathogenesis and ChancroidStanley M Spinola; Fiscal Year: 2011..The 11th and 12th International Symposia will be held in Quebec City and Vienna respectively;the venue for the 13th meeting has not been determined...
- International Diabetes Epidemiology Group 2009James Meigs; Fiscal Year: 2009..the 20th IDF Congress takes place in Montreal, Canada, to be preceded by the IDEG symposium on October 15-18, in Quebec City, Canada...
- Reproductive Sciences SymposiumRichard M Schultz; Fiscal Year: 2013..State College, Pennsylvania;and the 2013 meeting will be at the Palais des Congr[unreadable]s in Montreal, Quebec, Canada...
- GDCN Clinical Center-Advancing Clinical Research in Primary Glomerular DiseasesRonald J Falk; Fiscal Year: 2013..Center will cover much of the geography of the Southeastern portion of the United States and most institutions in Quebec province...
- Conference-College on Problems of Drug DependenceMartin Adler; Fiscal Year: 2009..For years 2006-2009, meetings will be in Scottsdale, Quebec, San Juan, and Orlando, respectively...
- Organization for Human Brain Mapping (OBHM)travel awardsThomas J Grabowski; Fiscal Year: 2013..2005;Florence Italy, 2006;Melbourne Australia 2007;Chicago, Ill 2008;San Francisco CA 2009, Barcelona Spain 2010, Quebec City, Canada 2011, and Beijing China, 2012. This meeting has relevance for the NINDS in the following ways...
- Health Research Conference: A focus on Native and First Nations of the NortheastDavid Patterson; Fiscal Year: 2009..It also represents provinces in Canada, such as Ontario and Quebec. Expected to generate considerable regional, national and international attention, this conference will provide a ..
- Canada East and West NetworkJean L Rouleau; Fiscal Year: 2010..All major hospitals caring for the 8 million people in the province of Quebec take part in the Network...
- New England, New York and Quebec Regional Clinical CenterMartin M LeWinter; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): This application is a renewal of the New England, New York and Quebec Regional Clinical Center of the NHLBI Heart Failure Research Network, under the direction of Dr...
- ASSESSING AMBULATORY DUR COST EFFECTIVENESSJacques Tremblay; Fiscal Year: 1980..A quasi-experimental design will apply DUR to a Quebec hospital "A" over an eighteen-month period, and not to a neighboring university hospital "B"...
- ASM Conference on Biofilms 2007Paul Stoodley; Fiscal Year: 2007..meeting entitled Biofilms 2007, which will be sponsored by the American Society for Microbiology (ASM) held at the Quebec City Convention Center, Quebec City, Canada from March 25th - 29th 2007...
- International Congress of Immunology - Travel AwardsC Fathman; Fiscal Year: 2004..members to attend the 12th International Congress of Immunology (ICI) to be held July 18-23, 2004 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada under the auspices of IUIS (International Union of Immunology Societies) and FOCIS (Federation of Clinical ..
- HOSPITALIZED MENTAL DISORDER IN QUEBEC & ISRAELJean Claude Lasry; Fiscal Year: 1980..Both Israel and Quebec are excellent examples of multicultural societies where ethnic stratification can be well-studied...
- meta-network Learning And Research Center Meta-LARCLYLE JAMES FAGNAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..of Colorado Ambulatory Practices and Partners, Oregon's Safety Net West Practice-based Research Network, the Quebec Practice Based Research Network, and the Wisconsin Research and Education Network...
- LIPOPROTEIN LIPASE DEFICIENCY AND HUMAN BRAIN FUNCTIONM Murthy; Fiscal Year: 2001..The incidence of homozygosity for LPL deficiency in the North-Eastern region of the Province of Quebec is at least 1 in 10,000 while the incidence in the general population is as low as 1 in 1,000,000...
- Gastrointestinal Response to Injury: Canada 2007Marshall Montrose; Fiscal Year: 2007..The fourth and fifth meeting (2001 and 2004) were held at Chateau Montebello, Quebec, Canada...
- GASTROINTESTINAL RESPONSE TO INJURY: CANADA 2001Sheila Crowe; Fiscal Year: 2001..This year's meeting is being held at Chateau Montebello, Quebec, Canada, October 10-14, 2001. During the business meeting of the last FASEB Summer Research Conference, Drs...
- GI Response to Injury: Canada 2004Sheila Crowe; Fiscal Year: 2004..The fourth meeting was held at Chateau Montebello, Quebec, Canada, in 2001...
- NEUROSCIENCE OF HIV CONFERENCEJoseph Berger; Fiscal Year: 2002..The first annual meeting held in Quebec City, prior to the Vth International Conference on AIDS in Montreal, was an unqualified success with over 220 ..
- Intl. Conference On Male-Mediated Development ToxicityAndrew Olshan; Fiscal Year: 2001..to schedule a Second International Conference on Male-Mediated Developmental Toxicity, to be held in Montreal, Quebec, Canada from June 20- 23, 2001...
- NEUROSCIENCE OF HIV CONFERENCEJoseph Berger; Fiscal Year: 2000..The first annual meeting held in Quebec City, prior to the Vth International Conference on AIDS in Montreal, Was an unqualified success with over 220 ..
- THIRD INTERNATIONAL MOUSE LUNG TUMORIGENESIS SYMPOSIUMMing You; Fiscal Year: 2000..Malkinson (University of Colorado, Denver, Colorado), Andre Castonguay (Laval University, Quebec City, Canada), and Theodora Devereux (National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Research Triangle Park, ..
- Conference on Photodynamic TherapyDavid Kessel; Fiscal Year: 2002..Photodynamic Therapy, to be held in conjunction with the 2002 meeting of the American Society for Photobiology in Quebec City, Canada...
- DOPAMINE 2002Kim Neve; Fiscal Year: 2002..The banquet will feature informal talks by 2000 Nobel Prize Laureates, Arvid Carlsson and Paul Greengard, and the opening lecture will be given by Marc Caron, the organizer of Dopamine '94 in Quebec City.
- FAMILY AND CHILD WELL-BEING RESEARCH NETWORKGreg Duncan; Fiscal Year: 2003..of the Gautreaux residential mobility quasi-experiment; Johanne Boisjoly, sociologist at the University of Quebec at Rimouski and long-time collaborator, and Jay Teachman of Washington State University, a Network PI during its ..
- NEUROLOGICAL AND NEUROPSYCHOLOGICAL ASPECTS OF HIVRobert Levy; Fiscal Year: 1990..Our first annual meeting in Quebec City, prior to the Vth International Conference on AIDS in Montreal, was an unqualified success with over 220 ..
- SCREENING FOR NEUROBLASTOMA IN INFANTSWilliam Woods; Fiscal Year: 1999..The Quebec NB Screening Project was initiated in 1989 to assess the clinical and biologic aspects of screening infants for NB ..
- SOCIAL CONTEXT, FAMILY PROCESS, AND ADOLESCENT HEALTHKathleen Harris; Fiscal Year: 2003..and a PI in the NICHD Early Child Care Research Network; and Johanne Boisjoly, a sociologist at the University of Quebec at Rimouski and collaborator with Harris on numerous Add Health projects...
- Natural History of Rare Genetic Steroid DisordersMaria New; Fiscal Year: 2006..University, Columbia University, the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, the University of Quebec, Hospital Debrosses (Lyons), and the Hospital das Clinicas da FMUSP (Sao Paulo) will facilitate the creation of a ..
- ASM Conference on Integrating Metabolism and GenomicsROBERT LAROSSA; Fiscal Year: 2004..This meeting, to be held in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, April 30 - May 3, 2004, will bring together the wide array of groups now studying microbial physiology ..
- Evaluating Clinical Benefit in SarcomasRobert Benjamin; Fiscal Year: 2004..held November 11, 2004 as part of the international meeting of the Connective Tissue Oncology Society in Montreal, Quebec. The purpose of this symposium is to review imaging studies to evaluate patients with sarcoma, compare and ..
- Lymphoma in Autoimmune Disease: Consequence of Immune Suppression or Stimulation?Sasha Bernatsky; Fiscal Year: 2008..Our proposed project will help identify patients at highest risk for lymphoma and provide guidance regarding initiation and maintenance of therapy to control SLE. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Towards a better understanding of work-aggravated asthmaCatherine Lemiere; Fiscal Year: 2009..The occurrence of asthma exacerbations will be recorded. The economic impact of WAA will be assessed in terms of work disability and use of health resources and compared with OA and asthma without OA not WAA. ..
- PATTERNS AND PREDICTORS IN THE ALCOHOL INTERLOCK RECORDPaul Marques; Fiscal Year: 2002..for a secondary data analysis study of the interlock records from the largest interlock programs in Canada (Quebec) and the United States (Texas)...
- Alcohol Interlock and Biomarker Prediction of DUI RiskPaul Marques; Fiscal Year: 2007..In addition to scientific communication through usual channels, this project will create risk profile guidelines to aid motor vehicle authorities and the courts for using indicator evidence proactively. ..
- Fine mapping of an Asthma Locus of Chromosome 12qBenjamin Raby; Fiscal Year: 2007..Identification of these variants may have a significant impact on the public health of asthma patients. ..
- Peer Enhanced Motivational Interviewing for ETOH MisuseTRACY TEVYAW; Fiscal Year: 2004..By conducting this study, our aim is to enhance existing treatments for alcohol misuse and abuse by maximizing well-established peer influences. ..
- KINSHIP AND SOCIO-DEMOGRAPHIC DETERMINANTS OF MORTALITYKen Smith; Fiscal Year: 2002..To accomplish the proposed aims, the set of Utah death certificates within the Utah Population Database will be expanded to include about 500,000 death records that cover the period 1904-1995. ..
- ESTIMATING EFFICACY OF A MEDICAL INTERVENTIONJames Trussell; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- MOLECULAR GENETICS OF MENTAL DISORDERRaymond Crowe; Fiscal Year: 2002..The Research Scientist Award will free my time from service requirements to work on the above genetics projects. ..
- Fast Optical Imager for tumor detectionXavier Intes; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Tricyclic antidepressants as risks factors for cancerJean Paul Collet; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- CROSS NATIONAL STUDY OF THE YOUTH DRUG/VIOLENCE NEXUSLana Harrison; Fiscal Year: 2001..In addition, these data will allow consideration of crucial policy questions about what forms of personal and social interventions might be effective in preventing or reducing drug-related violence among youth. ..
- Global Burden of Infectious Disease Through the GI TractPierre Payment; Fiscal Year: 2002..The report will be broadly announced and made available through many popular and scientific media. ..
- HEALTH/SAFETY IMPACT OF ONTARIOS DRINKING HOURSEvelyn Vingilis; Fiscal Year: 2001..Alcohol-related casualties for both cities will be subjected to time-series analyses. In addition, Detroit data will be disaggregated to analyze the trends of alcohol-related casualties involving Ontario drivers. ..
- Effective Behavior Through Understanding EmotionHILLARY ELFENBEIN; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Impact of GBV-C infection on perinatal HIV transmissionRobert Remis; Fiscal Year: 2005..A positive finding would add impetus to additional basic research to elucidate the biologic mechanisms and potentially develop new modatities of prophylaxis and treatment. ..
- Neuroblastoma Biology and TherapyGARRETT BRODEUR; Fiscal Year: 2007..Furthermore, treatment strategies developed against neuroblastoma may be useful against other tumors in children and adults that are rely on the biological pathways and are affected by these agents. ..
- Functional genomic dissection of rat blood pressure QTLBina Joe; Fiscal Year: 2007..Question 2 will be addressed by using an already available rat genome chip, to identify the genes whose mRNA expression levels are affected by the causative gene. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Significance of Genetic Alterations in NeuroblastomaJohn Maris; Fiscal Year: 2006..It is expected that these will be of prognostic importance and serve as specific targets for developmental therapeutics. ..
- Reaction and Transport Dynamics in Human BloodScott Diamond; Fiscal Year: 2009..Overall, these studies seek to provide fundamental insight into cell-cell interacitions and coagulation biochemistry that occur under flow. ..
- ISOLATION OF THE NEUROBLASTOMA PREDISPOSITION GENEJohn Maris; Fiscal Year: 2006..Ultimately, these experiments should lead to the identification of a common pathway to neuroblastoma tumorigenesis that will be an outstanding target for rationally designed therapeutics. ..
- Improving Outcomes in Pharmacotherapy of Social PhobiaMichael Van Ameringen; Fiscal Year: 2009..It thus directly addresses a critical public health issue that adversely affects a substantial proportion of the population. ..
- The Penn Center For Molecular DiscoveryScott Diamond; Fiscal Year: 2008..This project is responsive to the NIH Roadmap objectives to apply both establish HTS/Synthetic methods and emerging next generation technologies developed at the University of Pennsylvania. ..
- Multiplexed HTS of Serine and Cysteine Proteases (RMI)Scott Diamond; Fiscal Year: 2005..The use of multiplexed assay on microarrays allows the generation of critical data for the chemical protease interactome. ..
- A Group-based Method for Analyzing DevelopmentDaniel Nagin; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Effects of Adrenal and Gonadal HR in Young Women with ANCatherine M Gordon; Fiscal Year: 2010..Specific Aim 2: To determine whether combined therapy with adrenal and gonadal steroid replacement changes bone structure to increase strength compared to placebo, as assessed through cross-sectional geometric analysis of DXA data. ..