Genomes and Genes
Summary: A province of Canada lying between the provinces of Manitoba and Quebec. Its capital is Toronto. It takes its name from Lake Ontario which is said to represent the Iroquois oniatariio, beautiful lake. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p892 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, 1992, p391)
Publications345 found, 100 shown here
- Trends in diabetes prevalence, incidence, and mortality in Ontario, Canada 1995-2005: a population-based studyLorraine L Lipscombe
Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences, Toronto, ON, Canada
Lancet 369:750-6. 2007The prevalence of diabetes has been increasing greatly, but WHO's predicted 39% rise in the global rate of diabetes from 2000 to 2030 might be an underestimate. We aimed to assess diabetes trends in Ontario, Canada.
- Patient, physician, and community factors affecting referrals to specialists in Ontario, Canada: a population-based, multi-level modelling approachBenjamin T B Chan
Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences, Toronto, Ontario
Med Care 41:500-11. 2003..This population-based study examines the factors affecting referrals by primary care physicians (PCPs) to specialists...
- Diabetes in Ontario: determination of prevalence and incidence using a validated administrative data algorithmJanet E Hux
Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences, Toronto, Canada
Diabetes Care 25:512-6. 2002..We linked physician service claims (PSCs) and hospital discharge abstracts (HDAs) to determine diabetes prevalence and incidence...
- Pharmaceuticals and personal care products (PPCPs) in surface and treated waters of Louisiana, USA and Ontario, CanadaGlen R Boyd
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Tulane University, New Orleans, LA 70118, USA
Sci Total Environ 311:135-49. 2003..plant in Louisiana, USA, and from one surface water body, a drinking water treatment plant and a pilot plant in Ontario, Canada...
- The nature and correlates of unmet health care needs in Ontario, CanadaConnie Holmes Nelson
Lakehead University, Thunder Bay, Ont, Canada
Soc Sci Med 62:2291-300. 2006..2, we examine the nature of unmet mental health care needs in Ontario, Canada and how this is associated with socio-demographic, social support, health status and mental health ..
- A cohort study of traffic-related air pollution and mortality in Toronto, Ontario, CanadaMichael Jerrett
Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, California 94720 7360, USA
Environ Health Perspect 117:772-7. 2009..Chronic exposure to traffic-related air pollution (TRAP) may contribute to premature mortality, but few studies to date have addressed this topic...
- Projected cost comparison of selective laser trabeculoplasty versus glaucoma medication in the Ontario Health Insurance PlanRichard Lee
Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Western Ontario, London, Ont, Canada
Can J Ophthalmol 41:449-56. 2006..selective laser trabeculoplasty (SLT) versus primary medical therapy in the treatment of open-angle glaucoma for Ontario patients aged 65 years or more is presented...
- Isolation prevalence of pulmonary non-tuberculous mycobacteria in Ontario, 1997 2003Theodore K Marras
Joint Division of Respirology, University Health Network and Mount Sinai Hospital, Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Thorax 62:661-6. 2007..A study was undertaken of the "isolation prevalence" of pulmonary NTM in Ontario, Canada between 1997 and 2003 and the frequency of pulmonary NTM "disease".
- "I spent nine years looking for a doctor": exploring access to health care among immigrants in Mississauga, Ontario, CanadaJennifer Asanin
Department of Geography, University of Toronto Mississauga, Canada
Soc Sci Med 66:1271-83. 2008..perceptions of access to care through focus groups with a diverse group of immigrants living in a Mississauga, Ontario neighbourhood...
- Prevalence and molecular characterization of Giardia duodenalis and Cryptosporidium spp. in dairy cattle in Ontario, CanadaTatjana Coklin
Microbiology Research Division, Bureau of Microbial Hazards, Food Directorate, Health Products and Food Branch, Health Canada, 4th Floor West, Banting Research Centre, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Vet Parasitol 150:297-305. 2007..total of 143 faecal samples from adults, heifers and calves were collected from two dairy cattle farms in eastern Ontario, Canada. The prevalence and molecular characteristics of G. duodenalis and Cryptosporidium spp...
- Helicobacter pylori infection in Ontario: prevalence and risk factorsFarah Naja
Cancer Care Ontario, Toronto, Canada
Can J Gastroenterol 21:501-6. 2007..The present study had two objectives - to estimate the prevalence of H pylori infection in Ontario, and to evaluate the relationship between the infection and various demographic characteristics and selected ..
- Coding accuracy of administrative drug claims in the Ontario Drug Benefit databaseAdrian R Levy
Centre for Health Evaluation and Outcome Sciences, St Paul s Hospital, Vancouver, Canada
Can J Clin Pharmacol 10:67-71. 2003Every year in Ontario, the records of over 42 million prescriptions dispensed to persons eligible for Ontario Drug Benefit (ODB) benefits are transmitted to a central database...
- Molecular diversity of methanogens in feedlot cattle from Ontario and Prince Edward Island, CanadaAndre Denis G Wright
CSIRO Livestock Industries, Queensland Bioscience Precinct, St Lucia, Queensland, Australia
Appl Environ Microbiol 73:4206-10. 2007..locations were investigated using 16S rRNA gene libraries prepared from pooled PCR products from 10 animals in Ontario (127 clones) and 10 animals from Prince Edward Island (114 clones)...
- Heat-stress-related mortality in five cities in Southern Ontario: 1980-1996K E Smoyer
Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Int J Biometeorol 44:190-7. 2000The Toronto-Windsor corridor of Southern Ontario, Canada, experiences hot and humid weather conditions in summer, thus exposing the population to heat stress and a greater risk of mortality...
- West Nile virus outbreak in North American owls, Ontario, 2002Ady Y Gancz
University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Emerg Infect Dis 10:2135-42. 2004..outbreak of West Nile virus (WNV) caused a high number of deaths in captive owls at the Owl Foundation, Vineland, Ontario, Canada...
- What is the lifetime risk of physician-diagnosed asthma in Ontario, Canada?Teresa To
Child Health Evaluative Sciences, Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Avenue, Toronto, ON, M5G 1X8 Canada
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 181:337-43. 2010..The estimates of risk of developing asthma may help researchers and health planners set research agendas, predict the burden of asthma on society, and target the at-risk population for asthma prevention, management, and control...
- A fatal waterborne disease epidemic in Walkerton, Ontario: comparison with other waterborne outbreaks in the developed worldS E Hrudey
University of Alberta, Dept of Public Health Sciences, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2G3, Canada
Water Sci Technol 47:7-14. 2003..seriously ill and seven died from exposure to microbially contaminated drinking water in the town of Walkerton, Ontario, Canada in May 2000...
- Drinking water consumption patterns of residents in a Canadian communityA Q Jones
Division of Community Health, Faculty of Medicine, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St John s, Newfoundland, Canada A1B 3V6
J Water Health 4:125-38. 2006..Further investigation of the use of alternative water sources and the perceptions of drinking water in Canada is also needed to better understand, and subsequently address, concerns among Canadians...
- Establishment of Ochlerotatus japonicus (Diptera: Culicidae) in Ontario, CanadaAynsley Thielman
Brock University, Department of Biological Sciences, St Catharines, Ontario, L2S 3A1, Canada
J Med Entomol 43:138-42. 2006Ochlerotatus (Finlaya) japonicus (Theobold) is newly established in Ontario, Canada...
- Multiattribute and single-attribute utility functions for the health utilities index mark 3 systemDavid Feeny
Institute of Health Economics Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Med Care 40:113-28. 2002..HUI3 consists of eight attributes (or dimensions) of health status: vision, hearing, speech, ambulation, dexterity, emotion, cognition, and pain with 5 or 6 levels per attribute, varying from highly impaired to normal...
- Rates and external causes of blunt head trauma in Ontario: analysis and review of Ontario Trauma Registry datasetsWilliam Pickett
Department of Emergency Medicine, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Chronic Dis Can 25:32-41. 2004..Using the Ontario Trauma Registry, we described frequent patterns of blunt head trauma and identified priorities for prevention and ..
- Differential permeability of rivers to raccoon gene flow corresponds to rabies incidence in Ontario, CanadaCatherine I Cullingham
Watershed Ecosystem Graduate Program, Trent University, Peterborough, ON, Canada
Mol Ecol 18:43-53. 2009..Lawrence River in Ontario while no cases have been detected in Ontario across the Niagara River...
- Prevalence of cardiovascular disease risk in Ontario adolescentsAndreas D Flouris
Environmental Ergonomics Laboratory, School of Health and Human Performance, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Arch Dis Child 92:521-3. 2007..05). Participants demonstrated increased CVD risk, highlighting the necessity of placing adolescents in the forefront of preventive CVD programs...
- Iron deficiency and anemia prevalence and associated etiologic risk factors in First Nations and Inuit communities in Northern Ontario and NunavutAnna Christofides
Research Institute, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON
Can J Public Health 96:304-7. 2005..The objectives of this study were to determine the prevalence of anemia and to identify its associated risk factors among young children in Aboriginal communities in northern Ontario and Nunavut.
- Influenza and pneumonia hospitalizations in Ontario: a time-series analysisEric J Crighton
Primary Care Research Unit, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, ON, Canada
Epidemiol Infect 132:1167-74. 2004..Using population-based data for Ontario, Canada between April 1988 and March 2002 (n = 339,803 hospitalizations), findings from this study revealed clear ..
- Perfluoroalkyl contaminants in a food web from Lake OntarioJonathan W Martin
Department of Chemistry, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario M5S 3H6, Canada
Environ Sci Technol 38:5379-85. 2004..and the PFOS-precursor heptadecafluorooctane sulfonamide (FOSA) in various organisms from a food web of Lake Ontario. The sampled organisms included a top predator fish, lake trout (Salvelinus namaycush), three forage fish species ..
- Modeling the intraurban variability of ambient traffic pollution in Toronto, CanadaM Jerrett
Division of Environmental Health Sciences School of Public Health, University of California Berkeley, Berkeley, California 94720 7360, USA
J Toxicol Environ Health A 70:200-12. 2007..These small-area variations in traffic pollution are probably important to the exposure experience of the population and may detect health effects that would have gone unnoticed with other exposure estimates...
- Antimicrobial resistance in Escherichia coli isolates from swine and wild small mammals in the proximity of swine farms and in natural environments in Ontario, CanadaGosia K Kozak
Department of Pathobiology, University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Appl Environ Microbiol 75:559-66. 2009..coli isolates from livestock, to the resistance genes of these isolates, or to antimicrobials through contact with animal feed...
- A retrospective analysis of the prevalence and treatment of hypertension and dyslipidemia in Southwestern Ontario, CanadaRobert J Petrella
Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, Schulich School of Medicine, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
Clin Ther 30:1145-54. 2008Previous evaluations of the Southwestern Ontario (SSWO) cohort have reported that hypertension (HTN) and dyslipidemia (DYS) are undertreated illnesses; however, concomitant treatment is unknown.
- Outcomes associated with planned home and planned hospital births in low-risk women attended by midwives in Ontario, Canada, 2003-2006: a retrospective cohort studyEileen K Hutton
Faculty of Health Sciences, Midwifery Education Program, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada
Birth 36:180-9. 2009Midwives in Ontario, Canada, provide care in the home and hospital and are required to submit data for all births to the Ontario Ministry of Health database...
- Restriction fragment length polymorphism of porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome viruses recovered from Ontario farms, 1998-2000Hugh Y Cai
Animal Health Laboratory, Laboratory Services Division, University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada
J Vet Diagn Invest 14:343-7. 2002..samples, including lung, tonsil, lymph node, and serum, from 760 cases submitted to the Animal Health Laboratory, Ontario, Canada, were tested for porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome viruses (PRRSV) using reverse ..
- Results of the Ontario survey on the prevalence and control of hypertensionFrans H H Leenen
University of Ottawa Heart Institute, Ottawa, Ont
CMAJ 178:1441-9. 2008..We sought to evaluate the current prevalence and management of hypertension among adults in the province of Ontario.
- Hospital staffing, organization, and quality of care: cross-national findingsLinda H Aiken
Center for Health Outcomes and Policy Research, University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing, Philadelphia 19104 6069, USA
Int J Qual Health Care 14:5-13. 2002..To examine the effects of nurse staffing and organizational support for nursing care on nurses' dissatisfaction with their jobs, nurse burnout, and nurse reports of quality of patient care in an international sample of hospitals...
- Association of cutaneous malignant melanoma with intermittent exposure to ultraviolet radiation: results of a case-control study in Ontario, CanadaS D Walter
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Int J Epidemiol 28:418-27. 1999....
- West Nile virus infection in 2002: morbidity and mortality among patients admitted to hospital in southcentral OntarioCaitlin Pepperell
Divisions of Infectious Diseases, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ont, Canada
CMAJ 168:1399-405. 2003In August and September 2002 an outbreak of West Nile virus (WNV) infection occurred in southern Ontario. We encountered a number of seriously ill patients at our hospitals...
- Mortality among men using homeless shelters in Toronto, OntarioS W Hwang
FK Morrow Inner City Health Research Unit, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
JAMA 283:2152-7. 2000..Homeless persons in US cities have high mortality rates. However, few comparison data exist for death rates among homeless persons in other developed countries...
- Mortality among patients admitted to hospitals on weekends as compared with weekdaysC M Bell
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Sunnybrook and Women's College Health Sciences Centre, ON, Canada
N Engl J Med 345:663-8. 2001..METHODS: We analyzed all acute care admissions from emergency departments in Ontario, Canada, between 1988 and 1997 (a total of 3,789,917 admissions)...
- Development of quality indicators for colorectal cancer surgery, using a 3-step modified Delphi approachAnna R Gagliardi
Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Centre, Toronto
Can J Surg 48:441-52. 2005..This work was conducted to develop indicators of quality for colorectal cancer surgery, using a 3-step modified Delphi approach...
- Lifestyle, dietary, and medical history factors associated with pancreatic cancer risk in Ontario, CanadaLaura N Anderson
Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Cancer Causes Control 20:825-34. 2009..Possible pancreatic cancer risk factors were evaluated within the population-based Ontario Pancreas Cancer Study.
- The Ontario Asthma Regional Variation Study: emergency department visit rates and the relation to hospitalization ratesM Diane Lougheed
Division of Respirology, Department of Medicine, Queen s University, Kingston, ON, Canada
Chest 129:909-17. 2006Hospitalization rates for asthma vary more than threefold across regions of Ontario. It is not known whether this variation is primarily due to regional differences in the rate of emergency department (ED) visits or hospital admissions.
- An exploratory analysis of the effect of pesticide exposure on the risk of spontaneous abortion in an Ontario farm populationT E Arbuckle
Bureau of Reproductive and Child Health, Population and Public Health Branch, Health Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Environ Health Perspect 109:851-7. 2001..The Ontario Farm Family Health Study collected data by questionnaire on the identity and timing of pesticide use on the farm, ..
- Priority setting in a hospital drug formulary: a qualitative case study and evaluationDouglas K Martin
Joint Center for Bioethics, University of Toronto, 88 College Street, Toronto, Ont, Canada M5G 1L4
Health Policy 66:295-303. 2003..The process we utilized here, describing using case study methods and evaluating using 'accountability for reasonableness', is a generalizable process for improving the fairness of priority setting in hospital drug formularies...
- Dropping out of mental health treatment: patterns and predictors among epidemiological survey respondents in the United States and OntarioMark J Edlund
UCLA Neuropsychiatric Institute, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Am J Psychiatry 159:845-51. 2002..The authors interviewed individuals treated for self-described mental health problems in the preceding year to examine patterns and predictors associated with dropping out of treatment...
- Microsatellite DNA analysis of genetic effects of harvesting in old-growth eastern white pine (Pinus strobus) in Ontario, CanadaO P Rajora
Department of Renewable Resources, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alta, Canada T6G 2H1
Mol Ecol 9:339-48. 2000..in Ontario. There was concurrence in genetic diversity changes in the postharvest gene pools of the two stands...
- Genetic services for hereditary breast/ovarian and colorectal cancers - physicians' awareness, use and satisfactionJ C Carroll
Granovsky Gluskin Family Medicine Centre, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ont, Canada
Community Genet 11:43-51. 2008In 2000, the Ministry of Health in Ontario, Canada, introduced a publicly funded program to provide genetic services for hereditary breast/ovarian and colorectal cancers...
- Duration and distance of exposure are important predictors of transmission among community contacts of Ontario SARS casesE Rea
Toronto Public Health, and University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Epidemiol Infect 135:914-21. 2007..Separate measures of time and distance from source cases should be added to minimum datasets for the assessment of interventions for SARS and other emerging diseases...
- Incidence and profile of inpatient stroke-induced aphasia in Ontario, CanadaLaura Dickey
Aphasia Institute incorporating the Pat Arato Aphasia Centre, Toronto, ON, Canada
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 91:196-202. 2010To determine the incidence rate of inpatient stroke-induced aphasia in Ontario, Canada, and to examine the demographic and clinical characteristics for stroke patients with and without aphasia.
- Patient satisfaction and quality of care in walk-in clinics, family practices and emergency departments: the Ontario Walk-In Clinic StudyBrian Hutchison
Department of Family Medicine, Centre for Health Economics and Policy Analysis, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ont
CMAJ 168:977-83. 2003Although walk-in clinics are an increasingly common feature of Ontario's health care system, the quality of care they provide is the subject of continuing debate...
- A population-based study of tuberculosis in children and adolescents in OntarioWanatpreeya Phongsamart
Division of Infectious Diseases, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Pediatr Infect Dis J 28:416-9. 2009There are few population-based data on presentation and treatment of tuberculosis (TB) in children and adolescents in Ontario.
- Evaluating the performance of the Global Registry of Acute Coronary Events risk-adjustment index across socioeconomic strata among patients discharged from the hospital after acute myocardial infarctionDavid A Alter
Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am Heart J 151:323-31. 2006..The objective of this study was to validate the Global Registry of Acute Coronary Events (GRACE) risk-adjustment index for 6-month all-cause mortality across socioeconomic strata...
- Socio-economic status and surgery in children: myringotomies and tonsillectomies in Ontario, Canada, 1996-2000R Croxford
Clinical Epidemiology Unit, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Acta Paediatr 93:1245-50. 2004..To examine the relation between socio-economic status and (1) receipt of paediatric otolaryngological surgery, and (2) inclusion of adjuvant procedures...
- Managing chronic disease in ontario primary care: the impact of organizational factorsGrant M Russell
C T Lamont Primary Health Care Research Centre, Elisabeth Bruyere Research Institute, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ann Fam Med 7:309-18. 2009..This study (1) assessed whether chronic disease management differed among 4 models of primary health care delivery and (2) identified which practice organizational factors were independently associated with high-quality care...
- Distribution and characteristics of Listeria monocytogenes isolates from surface waters of the South Nation River watershed, Ontario, CanadaEmilie Lyautey
Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, 1391 Sandford Street, London, Ontario, Canada N5V 4T3
Appl Environ Microbiol 73:5401-10. 2007..monocytogenes isolates from surface waters derived from catchments within the South Nation River watershed (Ontario, Canada)...
- Waiting times and patient perspectives for total hip and knee arthroplasty in rural and urban OntarioMatthew G Snider
Faculty of Medicine, University of Western Ontario
Can J Surg 48:355-60. 2005..Because of the differences between rural and urban areas in terms of the provision of arthroplasty services and between the 2 patient groups, patient perspectives of waiting times may also be different...
- Screening for diabetic retinopathy in James Bay, Ontario: a cost-effectiveness analysisDavid Maberley
Department of Ophthalmology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC
CMAJ 168:160-4. 2003..We modelled the cost-effectiveness of retinopathy screening by travelling retina specialists versus retinal photography with a portable digital camera in an isolated First Nations cohort with diabetes...
- Passive immunity in Ontario dairy calves and investigation of its association with calf management practicesL A Trotz-Williams
Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada
J Dairy Sci 91:3840-9. 2008..to April 2004, blood samples were collected from 961 dairy calves 0 to 8 d of age on 11 farms in southwestern Ontario. This was followed by a second study conducted from May to October 2004, in which similar samples were taken from ..
- Occurrence of antimicrobial resistant bacteria in healthy dogs and cats presented to private veterinary hospitals in southern Ontario: A preliminary studyColleen Murphy
Department of Population Medicine, University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Can Vet J 50:1047-53. 2009..MRSP) were determined for healthy dogs (n = 188) and cats (n = 39) from veterinary hospitals in southern Ontario that had not had recent exposure to antimicrobials. The prevalence of antimicrobial resistance in E...
- Surveillance for hospital outbreaks of invasive group a streptococcal infections in Ontario, Canada, 1992 to 2000Nick Daneman
University of Toronto, Mount Sinai Hospital, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ann Intern Med 147:234-41. 2007..Streptococcus pyogenes can cause severe disease in the individual patient and dramatic hospital outbreaks...
- Characterization of culture-positive adenovirus serotypes from respiratory specimens in Toronto, Ontario, Canada: September 2007-June 2008Rani Yeung
Ministry of Health and Long Term Care, Public Health Laboratories Branch, Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada
Virol J 6:11. 2009..serotypes in culture-positive respiratory specimens sent to the Central Public Health Laboratory, Toronto, Ontario, Canada for the period September 2007-June 2008...
- Mycobacterium tuberculosis in Ontario, Canada: Insights from IS6110 restriction fragment length polymorphism and mycobacterial interspersed repetitive-unit-variable-number tandem-repeat genotypingDavid C Alexander
Ontario Agency for Health Protection and Promotion, Public Health Laboratory Toronto, Canada
J Clin Microbiol 47:2651-4. 2009A collection of 1,308 clinical Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates from Ontario, Canada, was genotyped by IS6110 restriction fragment length polymorphism (RFLP) and mycobacterial interspersed repetitive-unit-variable-number tandem-repeat ..
- Prevalence of early childhood caries among First Nations children, District of Manitoulin, OntarioS Peressini
Department of Community Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Toronto, 124 Edward Street, Toronto, Ontario, M5G 1G6, Canada
Int J Paediatr Dent 14:101-10. 2004..study was to determine the prevalence of ECC and dental caries in the First Nations population of 3- and 5-year-old children in the District of Manitoulin, Ontario to assist in developing effective dental health promotion strategies.
- Prostate-specific antigen testing in Ontario: reasons for testing patients without diagnosed prostate cancerP S Bunting
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Centre, Ont
CMAJ 160:70-5. 1999..The reasons for using the PSA test in patients without known prostate cancer are unclear. This paper reports on the first study in Canada to use physician records to assess the use of PSA testing...
- Behavior, movements, and demographics of rabid raccoons in Ontario, Canada: management implicationsRick Rosatte
Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, Rabies Research and Development Unit, Trent University, Science Complex, PO Box 4840, Peterborough, Ontario K9J 8N8, Canada
J Wildl Dis 42:589-605. 2006..of raccoon variant rabies were reported in raccoons (Procyon lotor) and striped skunks (Mephitis mephitis) in Ontario, Canada...
- Prevalence of traumatic dental injury in grade 8 children in six Ontario communitiesDavid Locker
Community Dental Health Services Research Unit, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Toronto, 124 Edward Street, Toronto, ON M5G 1G6
Can J Public Health 96:73-6. 2005To determine the prevalence of traumatic injury to the anterior dentition in Grade 8 children in six Ontario communities.
- Knee arthroscopy in England and Ontario: patterns of use, changes over time, and relationship to total knee replacementGillian Hawker
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, Women s College Hospital, 76 Grenville Street, 8th Floor, Room 815, Toronto, ON M5S 1B2, Canada
J Bone Joint Surg Am 90:2337-45. 2008..The purpose of this study was to examine patterns of use of knee arthroscopy, overall and by diagnostic and sociodemographic subgroups, in countries with comparable health-care systems...
- Water consumption habits of a south-western Ontario communityK D M Pintar
Laboratory for Foodborne Zoonoses, Public Health Agency of Canada, 255 Woodlawn Rd W, Guelph, ON N1H 8J1, Canada
J Water Health 7:276-92. 2009..was performed to better understand the drinking water consumption patterns among residents in Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada...
- The Ontario Uterine Fibroid Embolization Trial. Part 2. Uterine fibroid reduction and symptom relief after uterine artery embolization for fibroidsGaylene Pron
Department of Public Health Sciences, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Fertil Steril 79:120-7. 2003..To evaluate fibroid uterine volume reduction, symptom relief, and patient satisfaction with uterine artery embolization (UAE) for symptomatic fibroids...
- Assessing the consequences of delisting publicly funded community-based physical therapy on self-reported health in Ontario, Canada: a prospective cohort studyMichel D Landry
Arthritis Community Research and Evaluation Unit, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Int J Rehabil Res 29:303-7. 2006In early 2005, Canada's most populous province (Ontario) partially delisted publicly funded community-based physical therapy services by restricting the eligibility criteria within designated clinics...
- Financial and family burden associated with cancer treatment in Ontario, CanadaChristopher J Longo
Health Services Management, DeGroote School of Business MGD 210, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
Support Care Cancer 14:1077-85. 2006..A questionnaire was developed to determine the direct monthly "out-of-pocket costs" (OOPC), the indirect costs, and the associated perceived family burden...
- Creating a system for performance improvement in cancer care: Cancer Care Ontario's clinical governance frameworkKatya M Duvalko
Cancer Quality Council of Ontario, Cancer Care Ontario, Toronto, Ontario M5G 2L7, Canada
Cancer Control 16:293-302. 2009..Good governance, clinician engagement, and clear accountabilities for achieving specific outcomes are crucial components for improving the quality of care at both an organizational and health system level...
- Research use in children's mental health policy in Canada: maintaining vigilance amid ambiguityCharlotte Waddell
Mental Health Evaluation and Community Consultation Unit, Department of Psychiatry, University of British Columbia, 2250 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T1W6
Soc Sci Med 61:1649-57. 2005....
- The burden of asthma: can it be eased? The Ontario recordTeresa To
Hospital for Sick Children
Healthc Q 10:22-4. 2007
- Lyme disease spirochete, Borrelia burgdorferi, endemic in epicenter at Turkey Point, OntarioJohn D Scott
Lyme Disease Association of Ontario, 365 St David Street S, Fergus, Ontario, Canada N1M 2L7
J Med Entomol 41:226-30. 2004..Hyde, Steigerwalt, and Brenner, was discovered in blacklegged ticks, Ixodes scapularis Say at Turkey Point, Ontario, Canada. We report the first isolation of B. burgdorferi from a vertebrate animal collected on mainland Ontario...
- Hormone replacement therapy and endometrial cancer in Ontario, CanadaM G Jain
Department of Public Health Sciences, University of Toronto, 308 12 Queen s Park Crescent West, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Epidemiol 53:385-91. 2000..We conducted a case-control study in Ontario, Canada, from 1994 to 1998 by interviewing registry-based cases (n = 512) and population controls (n = 513) to ..
- Analysis of treatment practices for elderly cancer patients in Ontario, CanadaCarol Townsley
Department of Medical Oncology and Hematology, Princess Margaret Hospital, University Health Network, 610 University Ave, Ste 5 210, Toronto, Ontario, M5G 2M9, Canada
J Clin Oncol 23:3802-10. 2005..This study evaluates whether age, when adjusted for sex, comorbidity, stage, tumor site, geography, and time period, is predictive of cancer treatment practice...
- Public perception of drinking water from private water supplies: focus group analysesAndria Q Jones
Division of Community Health, Faculty of Medicine, The Health Sciences Centre, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St John s, Newfoundland, A1B 3V6, Canada
BMC Public Health 5:129. 2005..The purpose of this study was to explore the drinking water perceptions and self-described behaviours and needs of participants served by private water systems in the City of Hamilton, Ontario (Canada).
- A cohort study of mortality among Ontario pipe trades workersM M Finkelstein
Program in Occupational Health and Environmental Medicine, McMaster University, 1200 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8N 3Z5
Occup Environ Med 61:736-42. 2004....
- Mobile monitoring of air pollution in cities: the case of Hamilton, Ontario, CanadaJulie Wallace
Centre for Spatial Analysis, School of Geography and Earth Sciences, McMaster University, 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario, CanadaL8S 4L8
J Environ Monit 11:998-1003. 2009..We have used mobile monitoring to improve spatial coverage of pollution concentrations over the city of Hamilton, Ontario and to enhance our knowledge of the short-term bursts of pollution to which the population is exposed...
- Pre- and post-conception pesticide exposure and the risk of birth defects in an Ontario farm populationMandy Weselak
R Samuel McLaughlin Centre for Population Health Risk Assessment, Institute of Population Health, University of Ottawa, Canada
Reprod Toxicol 25:472-80. 2008..In a secondary analysis of the Ontario Farm Family Health Study, we explored the relationship between birth defects and parental pesticide exposure ..
- Access to dental care for persons with developmental disabilities in OntarioAnjani Koneru
College of Dentistry, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
J Can Dent Assoc 75:121. 2009..of persons primarily with developmental disabilities who encounter difficulties accessing dental care in Ontario, to identify perceived barriers to accessing dental care and to determine if persons with disabilities and their ..
- Health-related quality of life and health-adjusted life expectancy of people with diabetes in Ontario, Canada, 1996-1997Douglas G Manuel
Department of Public Health Sciences, and Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Diabetes Care 27:407-14. 2004..To estimate the burden of illness from diabetes using a population health survey linked to a population-based diabetes registry...
- Magnitude and distribution of acute, self-reported gastrointestinal illness in a Canadian communityS E Majowicz
Department of Population Medicine, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Epidemiol Infect 132:607-17. 2004..cross-sectional telephone survey of approximately 3500 randomly selected residents of the city of Hamilton (Ontario, Canada) from February 2001 to February 2002. The observed monthly prevalence was 10% (95 % CI 9.94-10...
- Early identification and incidence of mild TBI in OntarioWon Hyung A Ryu
Kunin Lunenfeld Applied Research Unit, Baycrest, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Can J Neurol Sci 36:429-35. 20091) To examine the variability in diagnosis of mild traumatic brain injury (mTBI) in primary care relative to that of an expert reviewer; and (2) to determine the incidence rate of mTBI in Ontario, Canada.
- Predictors of place of death for seniors in Ontario: a population-based cohort analysisSanober S Motiwala
Department of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Can J Aging 25:363-71. 2006Place of death was determined for all 58,689 seniors (age > or = 66 years) in Ontario who died during fiscal year 2001/2002...
- Hydroxylated polybrominated diphenyl ethers (OH-PBDEs) in the abiotic environment: surface water and precipitation from Ontario, CanadaDaisuke Ueno
Department of Environmental Sciences, Faculty of Agriculture, Saga University, Honjo 1, Saga 840 8502, Japan
Environ Sci Technol 42:1657-64. 2008..OH-PBDEs were determined in samples of surface water and precipitation (rain and snow) collected from sites in Ontario, Canada...
- Diseases and pathogens associated with mortality in Ontario beef feedlotsMihai I Gagea
Department of Pathobiology, Ontario Veterinary College, Canada
J Vet Diagn Invest 18:18-28. 2006This study determined the prevalence of diseases and pathogens associated with mortality or severe morbidity in 72 Ontario beef feedlots in calves that died or were euthanized within 60 days after arrival...
- Bad nights or bad bars? Multi-level analysis of environmental predictors of aggression in late-night large-capacity bars and clubsKathryn Graham
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health and Department of Psychology, University of Western Ontario, Canada
Addiction 101:1569-80. 2006..To clarify environmental predictors of bar-room aggression by differentiating relationships due to nightly variations versus across bar variations, frequency versus severity of aggression and patron versus staff aggression...
- Influence of overweight and obesity on physician costs in adolescents and adults in Ontario, CanadaI Janssen
Department of Community Health and Epidemiology, Queen s University, Kingston, ON, Canada
Obes Rev 10:51-7. 2009The study purpose was to perform an obesity cost-of-illness analysis for individuals living in the province of Ontario, Canada...
- Very high incidence of familial colorectal cancer in Newfoundland: a comparison with Ontario and 13 other population-based studiesR C Green
Faculty of Medicine, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St John s, NL, Canada
Fam Cancer 6:53-62. 2007..We compared the Newfoundland data with data from the province of Ontario, where the same recruitment and risk-assessment criteria were used...
- Trial by fire: a multivariate examination of the relation between job tenure and work injuriesF C Breslin
Institute for Work and Health, Toronto, Canada
Occup Environ Med 63:27-32. 2006..This study examined the relation between months on the job and lost-time claim rates, with a particular focus on age related differences...
- Dietary patterns and risk of prostate cancer in Ontario, CanadaMelanie Walker
Division of Cancer Care and Epidemiology, Department of Community Health and Epidemiology, Cancer Research Institute, Queen s University, Kingston, Onatrio, Canada
Int J Cancer 116:592-8. 2005..primary prostate cancer cases and 334 urology clinic controls were enrolled from 1997 through 1999 in Kingston, Ontario, Canada...
- Organisational standards for the delivery of intensity-modulated radiation therapy in OntarioA Whitton
Radiation Treatment Program, Cancer Care Ontario, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol) 21:192-203. 2009..Here the IMRT Expert Panel offers organisational and professional standards for the delivery of IMRT, with the intent of promoting innovation, improving access and enhancing patient care...
- Epidemiology of invasive meningococcal disease with decreased susceptibility to penicillin in Ontario, Canada, 2000 to 2006Elizabeth M Brown
Ontario Agency for Health Protection and Promotion, Public Health Laboratories, 81 Resources Road, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M9P 3T1
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:1016-21. 2010..incidence of invasive meningococcal disease (IMD) strains with decreased susceptibility to penicillin (DSP) in Ontario. Our objectives were to evaluate trends in IMD with DSP, to identify case-level predictors of IMD with DSP, and ..
- Factorial validity and invariance of a survey measuring psychosocial correlates of colorectal cancer screening in Ontario, Canada--a replication studyPaul Ritvo
Population Studies and Surveillance, Cancer Care Ontario, 620 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 2L7
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 17:3279-83. 2008..current investigation replicates previous work by examining factor validity and invariance in a random sample of Ontario, Canada residents...
- Ontario care providers' considerations regarding models of maternity careCarrie Smith
Centre for Studies in Family Medicine, Department of Family Medicine, Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry, The University of Western Ontario, London, ON
J Obstet Gynaecol Can 31:401-8. 2009....
- Declining sex ratio in a first nation communityConstanze A Mackenzie
Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Environ Health Perspect 113:1295-8. 2005Members of the Aamjiwnaang First Nation community near Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, voiced concerns that there appeared to be fewer male children in their community in recent years...
- Neighbourhoods and mental well-being: what are the pathways?Patricia O'Campo
The Centre for Research on Inner City Health, The Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute of St Michael s Hospital, 30 Bond Street, Toronto, Ont, Canada M5B1 W8
Health Place 15:56-68. 2009..Concept mapping provides unique contributions and challenges and may provide a useful means of examining specific pathways from neighbourhood to health outcomes...
- Fish consumption among pregnant women in London, Ontario: associations with socio-demographic and health and lifestyle factorsJessica M Sontrop
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Western Ontario, London, ON
Can J Public Health 98:389-94. 2007..This study's purpose was to describe the socio-demographic, health and lifestyle correlates of fish consumption among pregnant women...
- A demonstration project of a multi-component educational intervention to improve integrated post-fracture osteoporosis care in five rural communities in Ontario, CanadaS B Jaglal
Osteoporosis Research Program, Women s College Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada
Osteoporos Int 20:265-74. 2009..One hundred and twenty-five patients pre- intervention and 149 post-intervention were compared. No significant improvement in post-fracture care was documented suggesting that a more targeted intervention is needed...
- Ontario's wait time strategy: part 1Joann Trypuc
Healthc Q 9:44-51, 2. 2006b>Ontario's Wait Time Strategy was designed to improve access to healthcare services in the public system by reducing the time that adult Ontarians wait for services in five areas-cancer surgery, cardiac revascularization procedures (..
- Ontario's internationally educated nurses and waste in human capitalB Kolawole
Hematology Oncology Unit, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON, Canada
Int Nurs Rev 56:184-90. 2009To analyse critically the waste in human capital of Ontario's internationally educated nurses resulting from unemployment or underemployment.
- Comparative Resistance Exercise Effects on Knee Osteoarthritis Pain, Functional IKEVIN ROBERT VINCENT; Fiscal Year: 2013..Primary Aim of this study is to determine if ERX will reduce knee pain in older adults (using the Western Ontario and McMaster Universities Osteoarthritis Index (WOMAC Score) more than CRX or CON...
- MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF HUMAN COAGULATION FACTOR VThomas Ortel; Fiscal Year: 2010..Barry Organization Role on Project Institut de Biologia Molecular, Consultant Barcelona McMaster University, Ontario Consultant Duke University Consultant University of North Carolina, Consultant Chapel Hill Human Embryonic Stem ..
- Acupuncture for Aromatase Inhibitor-Related Arthralgias in Breast Cancer PatientsDawn Hershman; Fiscal Year: 2013..additional assessment of joint pain/stiffness and functional status via self administered questionnaires (Western Ontario and McMaster Universities Osteoarthritis (WOMAC), Modified Score for the Assessment and Quantification of Chronic ..
- Expression-Based Multi-Gene Signatures for CRC Recurrence and ChemoselectionChristopher Sears; Fiscal Year: 2012..The project also includes participation by the Ontario Institute of Cancer Research (OICR), Dana Farber Cancer Institute and the UCSD Morris Cancer Center, major ..
- Discontinuing NSAIDs in Veterans with Knee OsteoarthritisLiana Fraenkel; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will test for between-group differences in knee pain measured using the well-validated Western Ontario and McMaster Universities Osteoarthritis Index (primary outcome) at 4 and 16 weeks...
- 8th Annual Conference on Head and Neck CancerEben L Rosenthal; Fiscal Year: 2012..by applicant): The 8th International Conference on Head and Neck Cancer to be held July 21-25, 2012 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada is designed to facilitate discussion among practitioners, trainees, and researchers with an emphasis on ..
- Tai Chi for Knee OsteoarthritisChenchen Wang; Fiscal Year: 2013..aim to show that: 1) Tai Chi reduces knee pain more effectively than a standard regimen of PT (using the Western Ontario and McMaster University Index [WOMAC] pain subscale);2) Tai Chi improves functional capacity (WOMAC function ..
- Comparative Resistance Exercise Effects on Knee Osteoarthritis Pain, Functional IKEVIN ROBERT VINCENT; Fiscal Year: 2012..primary outcome will be the change in knee pain subscale of the well-established, reliable and validated Western Ontario and McMaster Universities Osteoarthritis Index (WOMAC Score) from baseline to month four...
- Immunological Mechanisms of VaccinationJAMES WAVELL AIKEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..Hill, Dan H. Barouche, John T. Harty and Tania H. Watts. The meeting will be held in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada from December 13 - 18, 2012...
- Long-Term Complications of Children/Adolescents &CancerDANIEL MICHAEL GREEN; Fiscal Year: 2012..We propose to hold a two-day conference on June 6 - 7, 2008 at Queen's Landing Inn (Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada)...
- Implementation of an Evidence-Based PTSD Treatment in Public Sector SettingsMarylene Cloitre; Fiscal Year: 2013..Four sites (Western Ontario, Boston, New York and Atlanta), each situated within a large public sector mental health network, will enroll 88 ..
- The Colon Cancer Family Registry: OntarioSteven Gallinger; Fiscal Year: 2011The Ontario Familial Colorectal Cancer Registry (OFCCR) is a productive member of the multinational six site Colon Cooperative Family Registries (Colon CFR)...
- Group Physical Therapy for Veterans with Knee OsteoarthritisKelli D Allen; Fiscal Year: 2013..The primary outcome for this study will be the Western Ontario and McMasters Universities Osteoarthritis Index (WOMAC)...
- InterMOD: integrated data and tools to support model organism researchElizabeth A Worthey; Fiscal Year: 2013..UK, and the teams that develop and maintain the five MODs, based at the Jackson Laboratory (mouse, MGI), the Ontario Institute for Cancer Research (nematode, WormBase), Stanford University (yeast, SGD), the Medical College of ..
- Ambient Particles and Ischemic and Hemorrhagic StrokeMurray A Mittleman; Fiscal Year: 2010..data from >16,000 patients hospitalized between 2003 and 2008 with acute stroke in 12 medical centers across Ontario, Canada, we aim to test the following hypotheses: 1) Short-term increases in ambient levels of particulate matter ..
- Informatics Support Center for the Cancer Family RegistriesSUBHA MADHAVEN; Fiscal Year: 2012..of breast cancer risk have been recruited through population-based cancer registries (Northern California, Ontario (Canada), and Melbourne (Australia)) and through family cancer clinics and community outreach (New York City, ..
- Loaded and Unloaded MR Imaging of Meniscus-Cartilage-Trabecular Bone in OASharmila Majumdar; Fiscal Year: 2013..cartilage T2 and T1? (mean and spatial heterogeneity), radiographic Kellgren-Lawrence (KL) score, the Western Ontario and McMaster University Osteoarthritis Index (WOMAC), changes in cartilage volume, thickness, trabecular bone ..
- The Natural History of Venous Thromboembolism in the ElderlyFrederick A Spencer; Fiscal Year: 2010..860 elderly male and female patients diagnosed with VTE at 4 city of Worcester (MA) and 5 city of Hamilton (Ontario) hospitals over a 27 month period in 2008 to 2010...
- Vevo 2100 ultrasound scannerFlemming Forsberg; Fiscal Year: 2012..Hence, this application requests funding for a Vevo 2100 ultrasound scanner (VisualSonics, Toronto, Ontario, Canada) with unique high frequency transducers (spanning frequencies from 24 to 70 MHz) in order to support many ..
- New Directions in Biology and Disease of Skeletal MuscleElizabeth M McNally; Fiscal Year: 2010..New Directions in Biology and Disease of Skeletal Muscle," to be held May 5 to May 8, 2010 at the Westin Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. The Muscular Dystrophy Care Act was passed into law in 2001 with reauthorization in 2008...
- TAS::75 0888::TASCharles B Eaton; Fiscal Year: 2010..While Western Ontario and McMaster Universities Osteoarthritis index (WOMAC) and Knee Injury and Osteoarthritis Outcomes Score (KOOS) ..
- BIOMEDICAL (MANAGEMENT/SUPPORT)SUBHA MADHAVEN; Fiscal Year: 2010..of breast cancer risk have been recruited through population-based cancer registries (Northern California, Ontario (Canada), and Melbourne (Australia)) and through family cancer clinics and community outreach (New York City, ..
- BIOMEDICAL (MANAGEMENT/SUPPORT)SUBHA MADHAVEN; Fiscal Year: 2011..of breast cancer risk have been recruited through population-based cancer registries (Northern California, Ontario (Canada), and Melbourne (Australia)) and through family cancer clinics and community outreach (New York City, ..
- Molecular Imaging Directed, 3D Ultrasound-guided, Biopsy SystemBaowei Fei; Fiscal Year: 2013..the academic-industrial collaboration (Emory University, Robarts Research Institute of the University of Western Ontario, and Eigen Inc., Grass Valley, CA)...
- Fixation using Alternative Implants for the Treatment of Hip Fractures: A Multi-cMarc F Swiontkowski; Fiscal Year: 2012..is to determine the impact on health-related quality of like (Short Form-12, SF-12), functional outcomes (Western Ontario McMaster Osteoarthritis Index, WOMAC) and health utility (Euro-Qol-5D, EQ-5D)...
- Patient and Provider Interventions for Managing Osteoarthritis in Primary CareKelli D Allen; Fiscal Year: 2013..The primary outcome will be the Western Ontario and McMasters Universities Osteoarthritis Index (WOMAC)...
- Defining Community for LGBT People with SchizophreniaSEAN ANDREW KIDD; Fiscal Year: 2013..of community participation amongst an ethnoracially diverse group of individuals with schizophrenia in Toronto, Ontario, this project will involve the development of a new arm of the study that would focus specifically on lesbian, ..
- Princess Margaret Hospital Phase I ConsortiumLillian L Siu; Fiscal Year: 2013..PMH and its research arm Ontario Cancer Institute (OCI), both as part of the University Health Network (UHN), have achieved an international ..
- Health Research Conference: A focus on Native and First Nations of the NortheastDavid Patterson; Fiscal Year: 2009..It also represents provinces in Canada, such as Ontario and Quebec...
- Alternative Therapies for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (CAMUS)JOHN CURTIS NICKEL; Fiscal Year: 2010..This specific application is for the Clinical Center at the Queen's University at Kingston, Ontario Canada. Details for this center begin on page following the common section below...
- Breast milk: Physiology, Biochemistry and OutcomesArdythe Morrow; Fiscal Year: 2006..conference theme is Breast Milk: Physiology, Biochemistry and Outcomes and will be held in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada. We anticipate about 240 delegates from the U.S. and around the world...
- 2010 In Vivo Magnetic Resonance Gordon Research ConferenceRisto A Kauppinen; Fiscal Year: 2010..is Craig Stanisz, PhD, Associate Professor, Department of Medical Biophysics, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The 5th In Vivo MR GRC was held in 2008 in the same location...
- Ontario Familial Breast Cancer RegistryIrene L Andrulis; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The long term goal of this application by the Ontario Familial Breast Cancer Registry (OFR) is to participate as part of the Breast Cancer Family Registry (BCFR) to establish and maintain a ..
- STATISTICAL ANALYSIS OF CANCER INCIDENCEWenjiang Fu; Fiscal Year: 2001..studies on cancer incidence and mortality rates, including one study on mortality rate of cervical cancer in Ontario, six studies on incidence rates of breast cancer, prostate cancer, male and female colon cancer, male and female ..
- Flavocoxid: A Medical Food Therapy for OsteoarthritisSarah Morgan; Fiscal Year: 2004..monitoring, clinical laboratory tests, quality of life and measures of efficacy as determined by the Western Ontario and McMaster (WOMAC) osteoarthritis index, and patient/physician global disease ratings...
- SOCIAL IMPACT OF ORAL DISEASE IN ELDERLY POPULATIONSAndrew Spencer; Fiscal Year: 1993..distribution and determinants of social impact among elderly populations in South Australia, North Carolina and Ontario. The procedures for the North American studies are described in subsequent pages...
- Osteopuncture for OA-Associated Knee Pain & DisabilityDebra Weiner; Fiscal Year: 2005..The primary outcomes are pain and disability, measured with the Western Ontario and McMaster Universities Osteoarthritis Index...
- Family-centered functional therapy for cerebral palsyMary Law; Fiscal Year: 2007..72 therapists (24 in Alberta and 48 in Ontario) will be randomly assigned to provide either FCFT or regular child-focused remediation therapy...
- TIDAL LAVAGE VS SHAM LAVAGE IN KNEE OSTEOARTHRITISJohn Bradley; Fiscal Year: 1999..Primary outcome measures will include the pain and physical function scales of the Western Ontario and McMaster Universities Osteoarthritis Index (WOMAC)...
- MANUAL PALPATION OF INTERVERTEBRAL MOTIONMartin Krag; Fiscal Year: 1993..pair of infra-red light sensitive, opto-electronic motion sensing cameras (WATSMART, Northern Digital, Waterloo, Ontario). Rigid clusters of infra-red-light emitting diodes will be attached to each of four lumbar vertebra via 2...
- Evaluating Low Ignition Propensity Cigarette LegislationRICHARD O CONNOR; Fiscal Year: 2009..Aim 1 will examine the incidence of fires in NY, Massachusetts (MA), and Ontario (ON) before and after the implementations of LIP laws in NY and ON, allowing for both pre-post comparisons within ..
- DEVELOPMENTAL EFFECTS OF FISH BORNE TOXICANTS IN THE RATRichard Seegal; Fiscal Year: 2000..perinatal exposure we will: (1) measure concentrations of the organic and inorganic contaminants in Lake Ontario (LO) salmon and in Pacific Ocean (PO) salmon, which will serve as a control in all experiments; (2) determine ..
- Health care utilitzation in homeless peopleStephen Hwang; Fiscal Year: 2005..This study will be conducted in Toronto, Ontario, where there is both a large homeless population and comprehensive administrative databases that capture the ..
- ALLERGY, IMMUNOLOGY, AND ANESTHETIC ACTIONGIRISH MOUDGIL; Fiscal Year: 2000..It is scheduled to be held on June 10-12, 2000, at Niagara On The Lake, Ontario, Canada. It is one of the Satellite Meetings of the World Federation of Societies of Anesthesiology (WFSA)...
- Arthritis and Traditional Chinese MedicineBrian Berman; Fiscal Year: 2009..important outcomes of pain and functional limitation using valid, reliable and responsive measures - the Western Ontario McMaster (WOMAC) Osteoarthritis Index, the Patient Global Assessment (PGA), and the Medical Outcomes Study Short ..
- SECOND INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE PEDIATRIC CARDIAC DEVICEAkif Undar; Fiscal Year: 2006..Support Systems and Pediatric Cardiopulmonary Perfusion will be held at the Holiday Inn on King, Toronto, Ontario, Canada May 17-20, 2006...
- Cardiac Transplantation in InfancyJeffrey Platt; Fiscal Year: 2009..Rochester, Minnesota Project 3: T cell responses and cardiac transplantation in infancy, Rochester, Minnesota Project 4: Toward cardiac allograft tolerance in newborn monkeys, The University of Western Ontario London, Ontario, Canada
- Prognosis in BRCA1 Associated Breast CancerPamela Goodwin; Fiscal Year: 2007An international population-based, prospective cohort study, conducted in Northern California, Australia and Ontario (Canada), will build upon activities of the Cooperative Familial Registry for Breast Cancer Studies (CFRBCS) to study ..
- MAMMOGRAPHIC DENSITITES IN CHINESE AND CAUCASIAN WOMENNorman Boyd; Fiscal Year: 2002..All subjects will be recruited from the Toronto centers of the Ontario Breast Screening Program (OBSP)...
- PRENATAL PCB EXPOSURE AND ACUTE STRESS REACTIVITYBrooks Gump; Fiscal Year: 2003..that young children (10 years of age) with gestational exposure to the environmental toxicants found in Lake Ontario fish (e.g., PCBs, mercury, cadmium) will exhibit exaggerated responses to acute stress...
- BIOLOGICAL MARKERS OF CHRONIC EXCESS ETHANOL CONSUMPTIONBing Kou Tang; Fiscal Year: 1991..Israel, head of biochemical research, clinical Institute of The Addiction Research Foundation of Ontario for his development of an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) against hemoglobin-ALD-adducts...
- Alcohol & Immunology Research Interest Group MeetingsELIZABETH KOVACS; Fiscal Year: 2004..Workshop just prior to the start of the Annual Meeting Society for Leukocyte Biology's (SLB) in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, and in 2005, we will meet the day before the Autumn Immunology Conference in Chicago, IL...
- PEDIATRIC ONCOLOGY GROUPPetr Kavan; Fiscal Year: 2002..MCH), a founding member, requests funding for itself and its two affiliates, the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) and the University of Sherbrooke Medical Center (USMC) to continue to participate fully in administrative ..
- INTERNATIONAL RESEARCH ON DRUG ABUSE EPIDEMIOLOGYRonald Kessler; Fiscal Year: 2000..The four surveys to be analyzed in YRS 1-3 include a US national survey, a province-wide survey of Ontario, a survey of Mexicans and Mexican- Americans in California, and a survey of the Mexico City metropolitan area...
- Genome-Wide Associations Environmental Interactions in the Lung Health StudyKathleen Barnes; Fiscal Year: 2009..University of North Carolina (Tobacco and Genetics Network), and University of Toronto (Smoking Treatment for Ontario Patients Study)...
- New York State Angler Cohort Follow-up StudyMatthew Bonner; Fiscal Year: 2009..and men who are New York State fishing license holders and who reside in 16 New York counties that border Lakes Ontario and Erie in New York State...
- Breast Cancer Risk Modifiers in BRCA Mutation CarriersAlice Whittemore; Fiscal Year: 2004..Collaborative Family Registry for Breast Cancer Studies (CFRBCS) and in clinical studies in New York, Ontario and Australia...
- Retrospective Assessment of Mixed Chemical ExposuresGurumurthy Ramachandran; Fiscal Year: 2003..Sudbury, Ontario, which is one of the world's leading primary nickel production companies...
- Molcular detection of weaponized arenavirusesRemi Charrel; Fiscal Year: 2003..in Marseilles, France and evaluated comparatively and experimentally in the BSL-4 facilities in Winnipeg, Ontario, Canada...
- Angiogenesis and Mircrocirculation ConferenceDavid Cheresh; Fiscal Year: 2001..Dvorak (Harvard Medical School), Angiogenesis & Cancer: A. Chambers (University of Western Ontario), New Therapeutic Strategies: M. Bednarski (Stanford University)
- Seventh and Eighth Meetings of New ResearchersJohanna Hardin; Fiscal Year: 2005..The first proposed conference will take place August 4 - 7, 2004 on the York University campus in Toronto, Ontario. Housing, meals, and conference facilities will be provided on campus...
- Clinical Epidemiology: Vascular Access for HemodialysisAndrew Levey; Fiscal Year: 2001..11-12, 2000 just prior to the 2000 Annual Meeting of the ASN at the Metro Toronto Convention Center, in Toronto, Ontario Canada. Andrew S. Levey, MD, Chair of the Clinical Science Committee, and Harold I. Feldman, MD, MSCE, Ravindra L...
- Future of Molecular MedicineDonald Hnatowich; Fiscal Year: 2002..Jean-Luc Urbain will be held in Toronto, Ontario on Saturday 23 June, 2001, again one day before the beginning of the Society of Nuclear Medicine Annual Meeting...
- MRI T2 Mapping of Cartilage for Diagnosis of Early OATimothy Mosher; Fiscal Year: 2003..determining inter- and intra reader reliability and correlating results of cartilage T2-mapping with the Western Ontario and McMaster Universities (WOMAC) Osteoarthritis Index, and quantitative arthroscopic evaluation...