Genomes and Genes
Summary: An island in the Greater Antilles in the West Indies. Its capital is San Juan. It is a self-governing commonwealth in union with the United States. It was discovered by Columbus in 1493 but no colonization was attempted until 1508. It belonged to Spain until ceded to the United States in 1898. It became a commonwealth with autonomy in internal affairs in 1952. Columbus named the island San Juan for St. John's Day, the Monday he arrived, and the bay Puerto Rico, rich harbor. The island became Puerto Rico officially in 1932. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p987 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, 1992, p436)
Publications310 found, 100 shown here
- Multiyear climate variability and dengue--El Niño southern oscillation, weather, and dengue incidence in Puerto Rico, Mexico, and Thailand: a longitudinal data analysisMichael A Johansson
Dengue Branch, Division of Vector Borne Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, San Juan, Puerto Rico, United States of America
PLoS Med 6:e1000168. 2009..The El Niño Southern Oscillation (ENSO) is a multiyear climate driver of local temperature and precipitation worldwide. Previous studies have reported varying degrees of association between ENSO and dengue incidence...
- Local and global effects of climate on dengue transmission in Puerto RicoMichael A Johansson
Dengue Branch, Division of Vector Borne Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, San Juan, Puerto Rico
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 3:e382. 2009..between monthly changes in temperature and precipitation and monthly changes in dengue transmission in Puerto Rico. We also found that the strength of this association varies spatially, that this variation is associated with ..
- Isolation of a new strain of the flavivirus cell fusing agent virus in a natural mosquito population from Puerto RicoShelley Cook
Department of Zoology, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3PS, UK
J Gen Virol 87:735-48. 2006..over 40 isolates of a novel strain of CFAV were discovered from mature mosquitoes sampled from the wild in Puerto Rico. The viral strain was present in a range of mosquito species, including Aedes aegypti, Aedes albopictus and ..
- Community beliefs and practices about dengue in Puerto RicoCarmen L Pérez-Guerra
Dengue Branch, Division of Vector Borne Infectious Diseases, National Center for Zoonotic, Vector Borne, and Enteric Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, San Juan, Puerto Rico
Rev Panam Salud Publica 25:218-26. 2009..and private efforts, effective, sustained community participation for dengue prevention remains a challenge in Puerto Rico. This study explored differences found in interviews conducted in 2001 in attitudes toward dengue and its ..
- Ecological factors influencing Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae) productivity in artificial containers in Salinas, Puerto RicoRoberto Barrera
Dengue Branch, DVBID, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1324 Calle Caniada, San Juan, Puerto Rico 00920
J Med Entomol 43:484-92. 2006..In total, 1,367 containers with water in 624 premises were studied in Salinas, southern Puerto Rico (May-July 2004). We counted 3,632 pupae, and most female pupae (70%) were in five of 18 types of containers...
- Description of a large island-wide outbreak of dengue in Puerto Rico, 2007Kay M Tomashek
Dengue Branch, Division of Vector Borne Infectious Disease, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, San Juan, Puerto Rico
Am J Trop Med Hyg 81:467-74. 2009..Nearly four million U.S. citizens live in dengue-endemic areas; the most affected population resides in Puerto Rico. Data from a dengue surveillance system were used to describe all suspected cases reported in Puerto Rico in ..
- Epidemiological and clinical observations on patients with dengue in Puerto Rico: results from the first year of enhanced surveillance--June 2005-May 2006Mary M Ramos
Dengue Branch, Division of Vector Borne Infectious Disease, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, San Juan, Puerto Rico
Am J Trop Med Hyg 79:123-7. 2008..Our data suggest that in a community with endemic dengue, enhanced surveillance is useful for detecting symptomatic infections. Furthermore, the simplified case definition for severe dengue may be useful in clinic-based surveillance...
- Dengue severity in the elderly in Puerto RicoEnid J García-Rivera
United States of America, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Division of Vector Borne Infectious Diseases, Dengue Branch, San Juan, Puerto Rico
Rev Panam Salud Publica 13:362-8. 2003..Severe dengue affects all age groups in the Americas, but little detailed information is available about this disease in the elderly. The objective of this article is to describe the disease in this age group...
- Guidelines on the cost-effectiveness of larval control programs to reduce dengue transmission in Puerto RicoK John McConnell
Oregon Health and Science University, Department of Emergency Medicine, Portland, Oregon, United States of America
Rev Panam Salud Publica 14:9-16. 2003..of emergency larval control programs for reducing dengue transmission in the Caribbean island of Puerto Rico and to develop guidelines to help choose between carrying out a rapid-response, emergency larval control ..
- Disclosure model for pediatric patients living with HIV in Puerto Rico: design, implementation, and evaluationIleana Blasini
Children s Hospital, University of Puerto Rico Medical Sciences Campus, San Juan, Puerto Rico
J Dev Behav Pediatr 25:181-9. 2004..effects on health care professionals (n = 16), caregivers (n = 39), and HIV-infected youth (n = 40) in Puerto Rico. Information was collected from youth, caregivers, and professionals by semistructured interviews and ..
- Dengue-related deaths in Puerto Rico, 1992-1996: diagnosis and clinical alarm signalsJosé G Rigau-Pérez
Division of Vector Borne Infectious Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, San Juan, Puerto Rico
Clin Infect Dis 42:1241-6. 2006Dengue, although endemic in Puerto Rico, is often not mentioned in the death certificates of decedents with laboratory results positive for dengue...
- An investigation into the cyclical incidence of dengue feverJ Keating
Department of Geography, Eastern Kentucky University, Waco 40385, USA
Soc Sci Med 53:1587-97. 2001..Data from Puerto Rico (1988-1992) were used to test the model proposed...
- Ten years of change to coral communities off Mona and Desecheo Islands, Puerto Rico, from disease and bleachingAndrew W Bruckner
Khaled bin Sultan Living Oceans Foundation, 8181 Professional Place, Suite 215, Landover, Maryland 20785, USA
Dis Aquat Organ 87:19-31. 2009Remote reefs off southwest Puerto Rico have experienced recent losses in live coral cover of 30 to 80%, primarily due to the decline of Montastraea annularis and M. faveolata from disease and bleaching...
- Surveillance for an emerging disease: dengue hemorrhagic fever in Puerto Rico, 1988-1997. Puerto Rico Association of EpidemiologistsJ G Rigau-Perez
Dengue Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, San Juan, Puerto Rico 00921 3200
P R Health Sci J 18:337-45. 1999..The dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF) surveillance system in Puerto Rico collects patient data from three sources: dengue case investigation (DCI) forms sent with diagnostic samples, ..
- Early clinical features of dengue infection in Puerto RicoMary M Ramos
Dengue Branch, Division of Vector Borne Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, San Juan, PR 00920 3860, USA
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 103:878-84. 2009..This study analyzed data from 145 laboratory-positive and 293 laboratory-negative dengue cases in Puerto Rico to define the early clinical features of dengue infection in children and adults and to identify the clinical ..
- The reappearance of dengue-3 and a subsequent dengue-4 and dengue-1 epidemic in Puerto Rico in 1998José G Rigau-Pérez
Dengue Branch, Division of Vector Borne Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, San Juan, Puerto Rico 00920 3860, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 67:355-62. 2002In January 1998, dengue-3 (DEN)-3 (group III genotype) was detected in Puerto Rico after an absence of 20 years. Public health officials intensified education efforts to promote community participation in dengue control...
- Detection of KPC in Acinetobacter spp. in Puerto RicoIraida E Robledo
University of Puerto Rico, School of Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Medical Zoology, San Juan, Puerto Rico
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:1354-7. 2010..DNA sequencing of the bla(KPC) gene identified KPC-2, -3, and -4 and a novel variant, KPC-10. This is the first report of a KPC-type beta-lactamase identified in Acinetobacter species...
- Phylogenetic relationships between Puerto Rico and continental USA HIV-1 pol sequences: a shared HIV-1 infectionR J Noel
Department of Biochemistry, Ponce School of Medicine, PO Box 7004, Ponce, PR 00732, USA
Cell Mol Biol (Noisy-le-grand) 49:1193-8. 2003In order to investigate the existing notion that the human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) infection in Puerto Rico (PR) was imported from the continental United States of America (USA) we sequenced and analyzed 900 bases of the ..
- Knowledge and attitudes in Puerto Rico concerning dengue preventionCarmen L Pérez-Guerra
Dengue Branch, Division of Vector Borne Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1324 Calle Cañada, San Juan, Puerto Rico 00920 3860
Rev Panam Salud Publica 17:243-53. 2005Dengue has been endemic in Puerto Rico for three decades. Multiple educational and community-based efforts have been developed to inform the population about dengue prevention...
- Halomonas avicenniae sp. nov., isolated from the salty leaves of the black mangrove Avicennia germinans in Puerto RicoNelís Soto-Ramírez
Department of Microbiology and Parasitology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Sevilla, 41012 Sevilla, Spain
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 57:900-5. 2007..The name Halomonas avicenniae sp. nov. is proposed, with strain MW2a(T) (=CECT 7193(T)=CCM 7396(T)) as the type strain...
- Cancer of the larynx in Puerto RicoAlbert Villanueva-Reyes
University of Puerto Rico, Medical Sciences Campus, School of Health Professions, Department of Graduate Programs, Speech Language Pathology Programs, PO Box 365067, San Juan, PR 00936 5067
P R Health Sci J 27:196-203. 2008..The purpose of this cross-sectional study is to examine the characteristics of laryngeal cancer in Puerto Rico. The study evaluates whether this type of cancer is increasing, to what degree gender differences occur; and ..
- Puerto Rico fall armyworm has only limited interactions with those from Brazil or Texas but could have substantial exchanges with Florida populationsRodney N Nagoshi
Center for Medical, Agricultural and Veterinary Entomology, USDA ARS, Gainesville, FL 32604, USA
J Econ Entomol 103:360-7. 2010..E. Smith) (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae), is an important agricultural pest that is endemic to Puerto Rico and the rest of the Caribbean islands...
- Clinical and laboratory features that differentiate dengue from other febrile illnesses in an endemic area--Puerto Rico, 2007-2008Christopher J Gregory
Epidemic Intelligence Service Program, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 82:922-9. 2010..age-based predictive models generated from 2 years of data from an enhanced dengue surveillance system in Puerto Rico. These models were internally validated and were able to differentiate dengue infection from other acute ..
- Factors associated with metabolic syndrome in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus from Puerto RicoA M Negrón
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, University of Puerto Rico Medical Sciences Campus, San Juan, Puerto Rico
Lupus 17:348-54. 2008..to determine the factors associated with metabolic syndrome in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus from Puerto Rico. A total of 204 patients with systemic lupus erythematosus (per the American College of Rheumatology ..
- Translating findings from basic fear research to clinical psychiatry in Puerto RicoGregory J Quirk
Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of Puerto Rico, San Juan
P R Health Sci J 26:321-8. 2007..Given the burden resulting from anxiety disorders in Puerto Rico, and the lack of evidence-based treatment practices, there is a pressing need for a future center specializing ..
- Phylogenetic study of Eleutherodactylus coqui (Anura: Leptodactylidae) reveals deep genetic fragmentation in Puerto Rico and pinpoints origins of Hawaiian populationsG Velo-Antón
Grupo de Ecoloxía Evolutiva, Departamento de Ecoloxia e Bioloxia Animal, Universidade de Vigo, E U E T Forestal, Campus Universitario, 36005 Pontevedra, Spain
Mol Phylogenet Evol 45:716-28. 2007
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of behavioral interventions to reduce HIV risk behaviors of Hispanics in the United States and Puerto RicoJeffrey H Herbst
Prevention Research Branch, Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, National Center for HIV, STD and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
AIDS Behav 11:25-47. 2007..behaviors or incident sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) among Hispanics residing in the United States or Puerto Rico. Data from 20 randomized and nonrandomized trials (N = 6,173 participants) available through January 2006 were ..
- Severe community-acquired pneumonia and sepsis caused by Burkholderia pseudomallei associated with flooding in Puerto RicoBernard Christenson
Infectious Diseases Section, San Pablo Medical Center, Bayamon, Puerto Rico
Bol Asoc Med P R 95:17-20. 2003..However, a few cases of confirmed melioidosis indigenous to Puerto Rico and the Americas have been reported previously. We describe the occurrence of a B...
- Knowledge about breastfeeding among a group of primary care physicians and residents in Puerto RicoGloria Leavitt
Department of Pediatrics, UPR School of Medicine, San Juan, 00936 5067, PR
J Community Health 34:1-5. 2009..Physicians demonstrated to recognize breastfeeding benefits, but formal education is needed to eliminate barriers to breastfeeding promotion and support...
- Mutation of a new gene causes a unique form of Hermansky-Pudlak syndrome in a genetic isolate of central Puerto RicoY Anikster
Section on Human Biochemical Genetics, Heritable Disorders Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Nat Genet 28:376-80. 2001..HPS occurs with a frequency of one in 1800 in north-west Puerto Rico due to a founder effect...
- The Puerto Rico-New York airbridge for drug users: description and relationship to HIV risk behaviorsSherry Deren
Center for Drug Use and HIV Research, National Development and Research Institutes Inc, New York, NY 10010, USA
J Urban Health 84:243-54. 2007This study examined mobility on the airbridge between New York (NY) and Puerto Rico (PR) for Puerto Rican drug users and its relationship to HIV risk...
- A deficit in biopsying potentially premalignant oral lesions in Puerto RicoDouglas E Morse
New York University College of Dentistry, Department of Epidemiology and Health Promotion, New York, NY 10003 1402, USA
Cancer Detect Prev 32:424-30. 2009..We evaluated whether the frequency of oral cancer (OC) cases diagnosed in Puerto Rico (PR) is disproportionately high relative to the frequency of persons with histopathologic diagnoses that would ..
- Detection of very early oral cancers in Puerto RicoDouglas E Morse
Department of Epidemiology and Health Promotion, New York University College of Dentistry, New York 10003 1402, USA
Am J Public Health 98:1200-2. 2008We evaluated a possible disparity in the detection of very early oral cancers in Puerto Rico relative to the United States...
- Cross-national epidemiology of major depression and bipolar disorderM M Weissman
Department of Psychiatry, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, New York, USA
JAMA 276:293-9. 1996..To estimate the rates and patterns of major depression and bipolar disorder based on cross-national epidemiologic surveys...
- Age-standardized incidence and mortality rates of oral and pharyngeal cancer in Puerto Rico and among Non-Hispanics Whites, Non-Hispanic Blacks, and Hispanics in the USAErick Suarez
Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, School of Public Health, Medical Sciences Campus, University of Puerto Rico, San Juan, Puerto Rico, USA
BMC Cancer 9:129. 2009In the American region, Puerto Rico (PR) has the highest incidence of oral and pharyngeal cancer (OPC), but racial/ethnic differences have never been assessed and compared with other groups in the United States of America (USA)...
- Climate influence on dengue epidemics in Puerto RicoMark R Jury
Department of Physics, The University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez UPRM, Puerto Rico
Int J Environ Health Res 18:323-34. 2008The variability of the insect-borne disease dengue in Puerto Rico was studied in relation to climatic variables in the period 1979-2005. Annual and monthly reported dengue cases were compared with precipitation and temperature data...
- Skin color, social classification, and blood pressure in southeastern Puerto RicoClarence C Gravlee
Department of Anthropology, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306 7772, USA
Am J Public Health 95:2191-7. 2005..We tested competing hypotheses for the skin color-blood pressure relationship by analyzing the association between blood pressure and 2 skin color variables: skin pigmentation and social classification...
- Seasonal variations in the incidence of some congenital anomalies in Puerto Rico based on the timing of conceptionAlberto de la Vega
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine
P R Health Sci J 28:121-5. 2009..Birth defects represent one of the main causes of infant mortality and morbidity around the world...
- Hurricane Georges: a cross-national study examining preparedness, resource loss, and psychological distress in the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, and the United StatesDavid N Sattler
Department of Psychology, Center for Cross Cultural Research, Western Washington University, Bellingham 98225 9089, USA
J Trauma Stress 15:339-50. 2002..S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, and the United States...
- Evaluation of an HIV/AIDS prevention intervention targeting Latino gay men and men who have sex with men in Puerto RicoJose Toro-Alfonso
University Center for Psychological Services and Research, Department of Psychology, Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Puerto Rico, San Juan, Puerto Rico 00931, USA
AIDS Educ Prev 14:445-56. 2002..of an HIV prevention model and intervention targeting Latino gay males and men who have sex with men in Puerto Rico. Based on the health belief model in combination with concepts of self-efficacy, cognitive theory, and ..
- A molecular epidemiological study of rabies in Puerto RicoSusan A Nadin-Davis
Rabies Center of Expertise, Ottawa Laboratory Fallowfield, Canadian Food Inspection Agency, 3851 Fallowfield Road, Ottawa, K2H 8P9 Canada
Virus Res 131:8-15. 2008The mongoose is the principal reservoir for rabies on the island of Puerto Rico. This report describes a molecular epidemiological study of representative rabies viruses recovered from the island in 1997...
- Use of an enhanced surveillance system for encephalitis and aseptic meningitis for the detection of neurologic manifestations of dengue in Puerto Rico, 2003Enid J García-Rivera
Office of Epidemiology and Research, Puerto Rico Department of Health, P O Box 70184, San Juan, PR 00936 8184
P R Health Sci J 28:114-20. 2009..An enhanced surveillance system for encephalitis and aseptic meningitis developed by the Puerto Rico Department of Health in collaboration with the Dengue Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, ..
- Molluscicidal activity of plants from Puerto RicoP A Meléndez
Department of Biology, Inter American University of Puerto Rico, San German, USA
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 96:209-18. 2002Overall, 173 tropical plants from 72 different families, collected from the north-western and western regions of Puerto Rico, were screened for their molluscicidal properties against Biomphalaria glabrata, the intermediate host of ..
- Medicinal herbs from the Caribbean National Forest (El Yunque), Puerto RicoT T Martinez
Toxicologic Associates, Inc, 6614 Clayton Road, 107, Richmond Heights, Missouri 63117, USA
Proc West Pharmacol Soc 45:20-2. 2002
- Determinants of compliance with drinking water standards in rural Puerto Rico between 1996 and 2000: a multilevel approachRafael Guerrero-Preston
Department of Epidemiology, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, USA
P R Health Sci J 27:229-35. 2008Two hundred and thirty nine (239) drinking water systems in Puerto Rico are not connected to the Puerto Rico Aqueducts and Sewers Authority (PRASA), and are thus known as Non-PRASA drinking water systems...
- Serologic response to inactivated poliovirus vaccine: a randomized clinical trial comparing 2 vaccination schedules in Puerto RicoGustavo H Dayan
Division of Viral Diseases, National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases proposed, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Infect Dis 195:12-20. 2007..Studies assessing inactivated poliovirus vaccine (IPV) immunogenicity in tropical countries, using the WHO Expanded Programme on Immunization (EPI) schedule, have been limited...
- Leptospirosis among patients presenting with dengue-like illness in Puerto RicoMichael G Bruce
Arctic Investigations Program, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention CDC, Anchorage, Alaska 99508, USA
Acta Trop 96:36-46. 2005..Sporadic cases/clusters of leptospirosis occur in Puerto Rico, but surveillance is passive and laboratory confirmation is rare...
- [How to respond to a dengue epidemic: overview and experience in Puerto Rico]José G Rigau-Pérez
Dengue Branch, Division of Vector Borne Infectious Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, San Juan, Puerto Rico 00920 3860
Rev Panam Salud Publica 17:282-93. 2005..Relying on improvisation to solve all the problems that arise in moments of crisis is inefficient and reckless...
- Family cancer history and susceptibility to oral carcinoma in Puerto RicoL M Brown
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 7244, USA
Cancer 92:2102-8. 2001..A heritable component to oral carcinoma risk also has been suggested, although only limited data are available on familial aggregation of this disease...
- Seroprevalence estimation and management factors associated with high herd seropositivity for Babesia bovis in commercial dairy farms of Puerto RicoJ H Urdaz-Rodríguez
Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Trop Anim Health Prod 41:1465-73. 2009..was conducted to determine individual cow seroprevalence of Babesia bovis in adult lactating dairy cattle of Puerto Rico (PR), to assess the associations of farm management factors on herd seroprevalence, and to document the species ..
- First survey of arthropod gut fungi and associates from Vieques, Puerto RicoJonatan J Hernández Roa
Department of Biology, University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez, Puerto Rico 00681
Mycologia 101:896-903. 2009This is the first survey of trichomycetes for Vieques, Puerto Rico. Several types of arthropods, including millipedes, crabs, mosquitoes, bloodworms, amphipods and isopods, were collected from marine, freshwater and terrestrial habitats ..
- Assessment of dengue risk in relief workers in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Georges, 1998Daniel R O'Leary
Division of Vector Borne Infectious Diseases, National Centers for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Fort Collins, Colorado 80521, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 66:35-9. 2002..We monitored dengue incidence in 204 of 222 North American relief workers visiting Puerto Rico after Hurricane Georges and during a dengue epidemic in 1998...
- Prevalence of the metabolic syndrome in San Juan, Puerto RicoCynthia M Pérez
Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, Graduate School of Public Health, Medical Sciences Campus, University of Puerto Rico, PO Box 365067, San Juan, Puerto Rico 00936 5067, USA
Ethn Dis 18:434-41. 2008..We assessed the prevalence of the metabolic syndrome and its individual components in Puerto Rican adults...
- Identification of fast-growing rhizobia nodulating tropical legumes from Puerto Rico as Rhizobium gallicum and Rhizobium tropiciJosé Luis Zurdo-Piñeiro
Departamento de Microbiologia y Genetica, Universidad de Salamanca, Salamanca, Spain
Syst Appl Microbiol 27:469-77. 2004Fifteen isolates from several nodulated tropical legumes from Puerto Rico (USA) were characterised by their phenotypic, molecular and symbiotic features...
- Detection of spatial fluctuations of non-point source fecal pollution in coral reef surrounding waters in southwestern Puerto Rico using PCR-based assaysM Bonkosky
Department of Environmental Health, University of Puerto Rico, Graduate School of Public Health, San Juan, 00936 5067, Puerto Rico
Mar Pollut Bull 58:45-54. 2009..PCR assays were used to test for the presence of non-point source fecal contamination across the southwestern Puerto Rico shelf...
- The use of the Puerto Rican Biculturality Scale with Puerto Rican drug users in New York and Puerto RicoDharma E Cortes
Harvard Medical School and Cambridge Hospital, Department of Psychiatry, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
J Psychoactive Drugs 35:197-207. 2003..an acculturation scale specifically developed for Puerto Ricans with a sample of substance abusers residing in Puerto Rico and New York...
- Endometrial cancer in Puerto Rico: incidence, mortality and survival (1992-2003)Ana Patricia Ortiz
Cancer Control and Population Sciences Program, University of Puerto Rico Comprehensive Cancer Center, San Juan, Puerto Rico
BMC Cancer 10:31. 2010Endometrial cancer is the most common gynecologic malignancy in Puerto Rico and the United States (US).
- The contribution of habitat loss to changes in body size, allometry, and bilateral asymmetry in two Eleutherodactylus frogs from Puerto RicoJohanna Delgado-Acevedo
Department of Biology, University of Puerto Rico, P O Box 23360, San Juan, Puerto Rico 00931 3360, USA
Conserv Biol 22:773-82. 2008..coqui, 2 common species that are endemic to Puerto Rico. We x-rayed frogs collected at 9 sites that differed in the amount of forest cover and measured their snout-..
- Use of human bronchial epithelial cells (BEAS-2B) to study immunological markers resulting from exposure to PM(2.5) organic extract from Puerto RicoEnrique Fuentes-Mattei
Department of Biochemistry, School of Medicine, Medical Sciences Campus, University of Puerto Rico, San Juan, Puerto Rico
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 243:381-9. 2010..b>Puerto Rico has been reported to have the highest prevalence of pulmonary diseases (e.g., asthma) in the United States...
- Skin color and mortality risk among men: the Puerto Rico Heart Health ProgramLuisa N Borrell
Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Ann Epidemiol 17:335-41. 2007..characteristics and risk factors, we used data on 5,304 men with information on skin color at Exam 3 of the Puerto Rico Heart Health program (PRHHP), a longitudinal study of the incidence of coronary heart disease in Puerto Rican ..
- Perspectives related to the potential use of vaginal microbicides among drug-involved women: focus groups in three cities in the United States and Puerto RicoTheresa H Mason
Abt Associates Inc, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
AIDS Behav 7:339-51. 2003..article presents results of focus groups in Bridgeport, Connecticut, Providence, Rhode Island, and San Juan, Puerto Rico, with women who use crack or heroin or have male partners who inject illegal drugs...
- Evaluation of the flora of Puerto Rico for in vitro antiplasmodial and antimycobacterial activitiesM D Antoun
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy, Medical Sciences Campus, University of Puerto Rico, San Juan, Puerto Rico 00936, USA
Phytother Res 15:638-42. 2001..As part of our screening programme of the flora of Puerto Rico, we tested a number of ethanol extracts of higher plants for antiplasmodial and antimycobacterial activities...
- The use of folic acid for the prevention of birth defects in Puerto RicoLourdes García-Fragoso
University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Neonatology Section, San Juan, Puerto Rico, USA
Ethn Dis 18:S2-168-71. 2008..Women of reproductive age are advised to use folic acid to prevent NTDs and other birth defects. Since 1994, Puerto Rico has had a campaign to promote the use of folic acid, and since 1998, enriched grain products have been ..
- Homelessness and HIV risk behaviors among drug injectors in Puerto RicoJuan C Reyes
Center for Addiction Studies, School of Medicine, Universidad Central del Caribe, 60327, Bayamon, PR 00960 6032, USA
J Urban Health 82:446-55. 2005..report examines associations between homelessness and HIV risk behaviors among injection drug users (IDUs) in Puerto Rico. The study sample consisted of 557 IDUs who were not in treatment, recruited in inner-city neighborhoods of the ..
- Effectiveness and safety of the combination of fluoxetine and olanzapine in outpatients with bipolar depression: an open-label, randomized, flexible-dose study in Puerto RicoJorge M Tamayo
CES University, Medellin, Colombia
J Clin Psychopharmacol 29:358-61. 2009....
- Diagnostic accuracy of methods for detecting Anaplasma marginale infection in lactating dairy cattle of Puerto RicoGeoffrey T Fosgate
Department of Production Animal Studies, Faculty of Veterinary Science, University of Pretoria, Onderstepoort, 0110, South Africa
J Vet Diagn Invest 22:192-9. 2010..to estimate the accuracy of assays for detection of Anaplasma marginale infection in lactating dairy cattle of Puerto Rico using Bayesian methods without a perfect reference test...
- Peer norms and sharing of injection paraphernalia among Puerto Rican injection drug users in New York and Puerto RicoJonny F Andia
National Development and Research Institutes, Inc, Center for Drug Use and HIV Research, New York, NY 10010, USA
AIDS Educ Prev 20:249-57. 2008..cotton, rinse water and back/front loading) among Puerto Rican injection drug users (IDUs) in Bayamón, Puerto Rico, and East Harlem, New York City...
- Development of management policy for the marine ornamental fish and invertebrate fishery in puerto rico: a case studyM P Hardin
Greystone Environmental Consultants, Inc 5231 South Quebec Street, Greenwood Village, CO 80111, USA
Rev Biol Trop 53:139-44. 2005..In the case of Puerto Rico, collection of ornamentals has existed for decades, though unregulated due to a weak fisheries law dating from ..
- A longitudinal study of syringe acquisition by Puerto Rican injection drug users in New York and Puerto Rico: implications for syringe exchange and distribution programsH Ann Finlinson
Center for Addiction Studies, School of Medicine, Universidad Central del Caribe, Bayamon, Puerto Rico
Subst Use Misuse 41:1313-36. 2006..1998-1999) and 36-month follow-up, 103 IDUs recruited in East Harlem, New York (NY), and 135 from Bayamón, Puerto Rico (PR) were surveyed about syringe sources and HIV risk behaviors in the prior 30 days...
- Prognostic factors of severe asthma in Puerto RicoManuel Bayona
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, University of North Texas Health Science Center, Fort Worth, Texas, USA
P R Health Sci J 21:213-9. 2002Asthma in Puerto Rico is a serious Public Health Problem. This study extends our cross-sectional self-reported asthma prevalence survey of 3,000 volunteers...
- Coloboma and CHARGE association in Puerto RicoJavier Jardón
UPR School of Medicine, University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico
Bol Asoc Med P R 101:39-41. 2009..Ocular findings in patients with the association include: poor visual acuity; anisometropia; myopic astigmatism; strabismus; microcornea; cataracts; staphyloma; and reduced stereopsis...
- Puerto Rican injection drug users: Prevention implications in Massachusetts and Puerto RicoLuz Marilis López
Boston University School of Social Work, 264 Bay State Road, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Eval Program Plann 31:64-73. 2008..Transmitted Disease (STD) status in a sample of 400 injection drug users (IDUs) residing on the Island of Puerto Rico (N=139) and in western Massachusetts (N=261)...
- HIV transmission behaviors in jail/prison among puerto rican drug injectors in New York and Puerto RicoSung Yeon Kang
National Development and Research Institutes, Inc, 71 West 23rd Street, New York 10010, USA
AIDS Behav 9:377-86. 2005..study examined HIV risk behavior in jail/prison among Puerto Rican drug injectors in New York (NY, n = 300) and Puerto Rico (PR, n = 200), and its relationship with later drug and sex risk behaviors...
- Seasonal and habitat effects on dengue and West Nile virus vectors in San Juan, Puerto RicoJoshua Smith
Dengue Branch, DVBID, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1324 Calle Cañada, San Juan, PR
J Am Mosq Control Assoc 25:38-46. 2009The presence of West Nile (WNV) and dengue viruses and the lack of recent mosquito surveys in Puerto Rico prompted an investigation on the distribution and abundance of potential arbovirus vectors in the San Juan Metropolitan Area, and ..
- Integrating qualitative and quantitative methods: comparing HIV-related risk behaviors among Puerto Rican drug users in Puerto Rico and New YorkS Deren
National Development and Research Institutes, Inc, Center for Drug Use and HIV Research, New York, New York 10010, USA
Subst Use Misuse 38:1-24. 2003..The integration of qualitative and quantitative methods can enhance comparability and understanding of findings, particularly when there are differences in behaviors between communities...
- Cross-cultural adaptation of the Disability of Arm, Shoulder, and Hand questionnaire: Spanish for Puerto Rico versionAna L Mulero-Portela
Physical Therapy Program, School of Health Professions, Medical Sciences Campus, University of Puerto Rico, San Juan, Puerto Rico 00936 5067, USA
Int J Rehabil Res 32:287-93. 2009..a cross-cultural adaptation of the Disability of Arm, Shoulder, and Hand (DASH) questionnaire to Spanish for Puerto Rico. Five steps were followed for the cross-cultural adaptation: forward translations into Spanish for Puerto Rico, ..
- Factors associated to the prevalence of antibodies to hepatitis C virus among patients receiving hemodialysis at selected dialysis centers in Puerto Rico, 2005Marievelisse Soto-Salgado
Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, Graduate School of Public Health, Medical Sciences Campus, University of Puerto Rico, P O Box 365067, San Juan, Puerto Rico
P R Health Sci J 28:18-23. 2009..about the epidemiology of hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection is available in hemodialysis patients in Puerto Rico. We assessed the factors associated to the prevalence of antibodies to HCV (anti-HCV) among patients receiving ..
- Analysis of survival of young and old Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidac) from Puerto Rico and ThailandL C Harrington
Department of Entomology, University of California, Davis 95616, USA
J Med Entomol 38:537-47. 2001..To test this assumption we conducted mark-release-recapture studies in Puerto Rico and Thailand to determine if estimated daily survival rates between two different age cohorts of the dengue ..
- Identification of the people from whom engorged Aedes aegypti took blood meals in Florida, Puerto Rico, using polymerase chain reaction-based DNA profilingJohn De Benedictis
Department of Entomology, University of California, Davis, California 95616, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 68:437-46. 2003..reaction-based DNA profiling to construct allelic profiles for residents and visitors of 22 houses in Florida, Puerto Rico, and human DNA from blood meals in Aedes aegypti that were collected in those homes...
- Molecular evolution of dengue 2 virus in Puerto Rico: positive selection in the viral envelope accompanies clade reintroductionShannon N Bennett
Department of Biology, University of Puerto Rico Rio Piedras, San Juan, PR, USA
J Gen Virol 87:885-93. 2006..patterns of genetic change since DENV-2's reintroduction into the region, molecular evolution in DENV-2 from Puerto Rico (PR) and surrounding countries was examined over a 20 year period of fluctuating disease incidence...
- Antibacterial properties of tropical plants from Puerto RicoP A Meléndez
Department of Biology, Inter American University of Puerto Rico, San Germán Campus, San German, Puerto Rico
Phytomedicine 13:272-6. 2006In an effort to document the antibacterial properties of plants commonly used by the people of Puerto Rico, we studied the effects of 172 plant species, utilizing the disc diffusion method, against Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus ..
- Reconstructing the population history of Puerto Rico by means of mtDNA phylogeographic analysisJuan C Martinez-Cruzado
Department of Biology, University of Puerto Rico at Mayaguez, Mayaguez, Puerto Rico 00680
Am J Phys Anthropol 128:131-55. 2005..identities of 800 mtDNAs randomly and systematically selected to be representative of the population of Puerto Rico were determined by restriction fragment length polymorphism (RFLP), revealing maternal ancestries in this ..
- Symptoms and quality of life of people living with HIV infection in Puerto RicoMarta Rivero-Mendez
University of Puerto Rico Medical Sciences Campus School of Nursing, P O Box 365067, San Juan, Puerto Rico
P R Health Sci J 28:54-9. 2009..This study explored the symptom experience of people living with HIV infection in Puerto Rico and its correlation with quality of life.
- Predictors of injection drug use cessation among Puerto Rican drug injectors in New York and Puerto RicoSherry Deren
Center for Drug Use and HIV Research, National Development and Research Institutes, Inc, New York, New York, USA
Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 33:291-9. 2007..of injection drug use cessation were examined among Puerto Rican injection drug users (IDUs) in New York and Puerto Rico. Analysis of baseline and 6-month follow-up data from 670 IDUs in NY and 316 in PR showed that 47% NY and 20% ..
- Drug-scene roles and HIV risk among Puerto Rican injection drug users in East Harlem, New York and Bayamón, Puerto RicoSamuel R Friedman
National Development and Research Institutes, New York, New York 10010, USA
J Psychoactive Drugs 34:363-9. 2002..to high-risk behaviors and sexual partnerships among Puerto Rican injection drug users in New York and Puerto Rico. For this study 561 street-recruited injection drug users in East Harlem, New York, and 312 in Bayamón, Puerto ..
- Alcohol concentration and risk of oral cancer in Puerto RicoWen Yi Huang
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Am J Epidemiol 157:881-7. 2003..In this 1992-1995 study, the authors examined oral cancer risk in Puerto Rico, comparing alcohol intake among 286 male cases aged 21-79 years and 417 population-based male controls, ..
- Collaborative care for depressed patients with chronic medical conditions: a randomized trial in Puerto RicoMildred Vera
Center for Evaluation and Sociomedical Research, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Puerto Rico, Medical Sciences Campus, P O Box 365067, San Juan, PR
Psychiatr Serv 61:144-50. 2010This study examined whether a collaborative care model for depression would improve clinical and functional outcomes for depressed patients with chronic general medical conditions in primary care practices in Puerto Rico.
- Community-based dengue prevention programs in Puerto Rico: impact on knowledge, behavior, and residential mosquito infestationPeter J Winch
Department of International Health, School of Hygiene and Public Health, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21205 2179, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 67:363-70. 2002Dengue is a major health burden in Puerto Rico. Televised public service announcements and posters, elementary and pre-school educational programs, and an exhibit at the Children's Museum in Old San Juan were evaluated separately using ..
- Isla evangelista-a story of church and state: Puerto Rico's faith-based initiatives in drug treatmentHelena Hansen
Department of Psychiatry, NYU Medical Center, New Bellevue 20N11, New York, NY 10016, USA
Cult Med Psychiatry 29:433-56. 2005This article describes the debates leading to Puerto Rico's Mental Health Law of 2000, which defined addiction as a spiritual and social problem rather than a mental disorder, in order to trace three competing approaches to addiction in ..
- HIV risk behaviors and alcohol intoxication among injection drug users in Puerto RicoTomas D Matos
Center for Addiction Studies, Universidad Central del Caribe, School of Medicine, P O Box 60327, Bayamon, PR 00960 6032, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 76:229-34. 2004..among 557 Hispanic heroin and cocaine injectors, not in treatment, who were recruited in poor communities in Puerto Rico. Subjects were part of a longitudinal prevention-intervention study aimed at reducing drug use and HIV risk ..
- Residential status and HIV risk behaviors among Puerto Rican drug injectors in New York and Puerto RicoJ F Andía
Center for Drug Use and HIV Research, Institute for AIDS Research, National Development and Research Institutes, Inc, New York, New York, USA
Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 27:719-35. 2001..We assigned 561 subjects from New York City and 312 from Puerto Rico to five residential status categories: living in parent's home, living in own home, living in other's home, ..
- The validity of drug use responses in a household survey in Puerto Rico: comparison of survey responses of cocaine and heroin use with hair testsH M Colon
Center for Addiction Studies, School of Medicine, Universidad Central del Caribe, Bayamon, Puerto Rico
Int J Epidemiol 30:1042-9. 2001....
- The shape of the HIV/AIDS epidemic in Puerto RicoM A Gomez
Universidad Central del Caribe, Internal Medicine Department, Bayamon, Puerto Rico
Rev Panam Salud Publica 7:377-83. 2000This study presents information on AIDS patients in Puerto Rico, including their general sociodemographic profile, some risk-related parameters, characteristics of vulnerable groups, and elements of the clinical spectrum of the disease...
- Epidemiology of pediatric AIDS in Puerto Rico: 1981-1998R Perez-Perdomo
University of Puerto Rico, Graduate School of Public Health, San Juan
AIDS Patient Care STDS 13:651-8. 1999..AIDS-defining conditions (ADC) and survival experience of pediatric AIDS cases (< 13 years age) reported in Puerto Rico. A descriptive analysis of the data gathered by the Puerto Rico AIDS Surveillance System was performed...
- Use of the pupal survey technique for measuring Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae) productivity in Puerto RicoRoberto Barrera
Dengue Branch, Division of Vector Borne Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, San Juan, Puerto Rico
Am J Trop Med Hyg 74:290-302. 2006..Pupal surveys were conducted twice in 2004 in an urban area in southern Puerto Rico. A total 35,030 immature mosquitoes (III and IV instars, pupae) was counted in 1,367 containers found with ..
- Determinants of health care use among Puerto Rican drug users in Puerto Rico and New York CityRafaela R Robles
Center for Addiction Studies, Universidad Central del Caribe School of Medicine, Bayamon, Puerto Rico
Clin Infect Dis 37:S392-403. 2003..Survey findings from 334 drug users in Puerto Rico and 617 in New York City showed that those in Puerto Rico were 6 times less likely than their counterparts in ..
- Hepatocellular carcinoma: ten years experience among veterans in Puerto RicoLuis J Lopez-Garcia
Gastroenterology Department, VA Caribbean Healthcare System, San Juan, Puerto Rico 00921 3201
P R Health Sci J 26:103-7. 2007The aim of our study is to determine the characteristics of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) as well as risk factors, demographics, survival rates and the use of diagnostic and therapeutic modalities among veteran patients in Puerto Rico.
- Migration and HIV risk behaviors: Puerto Rican drug injectors in New York City and Puerto RicoSherry Deren
National Development and Research Institutes Inc, 71 West 23rd Street, 8th Floor, New York, NY 10010, USA
Am J Public Health 93:812-6. 2003We compared injection-related HIV risk behaviors of Puerto Rican current injection drug users (IDUs) living in New York City and in Puerto Rico who also had injected in the other location with those who had not.
- Genetic testing for oculocutaneous albinism type 1 and 2 and Hermansky-Pudlak syndrome type 1 and 3 mutations in Puerto RicoPedro J Santiago Borrero
Department of Pediatrics, University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine, San Juan, Puerto Rico
J Invest Dermatol 126:85-90. 2006..HPS is very common in Puerto Rico (PR), particularly in the northwest part of the island, with a frequency of approximately 1:1,800...
- An investigation of relationships between climate and dengue using a water budgeting techniqueK V Schreiber
Department of Geography, Millersville University of Pennsylvania, 17551 0302, USA
Int J Biometeorol 45:81-9. 2001..water budget indicators were used to assess intra- and interannual variations in dengue incidence for San Juan, Puerto Rico. Multivariate stochastic relationships between dengue and the water budget were developed to (1) determine and ..
- Cancer disparities between mainland and island Puerto RicansGloria Y F Ho
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, United States of America
Rev Panam Salud Publica 25:394-400. 2009..and comparison of incidence rates among mainland Puerto Ricans living in the United States, island Puerto Ricans in Puerto Rico, and U.S. non-Hispanic whites to reveal ethnic-specific cancer patterns and disparities in Puerto Ricans.
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NN/LM) Region 2 DENNIS PATTRATH; Fiscal Year: 2010..Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands...
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NN/LM) Region 2 Javier Crespo; Fiscal Year: 2010..Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands...
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 2JM J TOOEY; Fiscal Year: 2011..Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands...
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 2JM J TOOEY; Fiscal Year: 2013
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 2JM J TOOEY; Fiscal Year: 2012
- Pregnancy and EARly Lifestyle improvement Study (PEARLS)Kaumudi J Joshipura; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Puerto Rico is a predominantly Hispanic U.S...
- Substituting Brown Rice for White Rice: Effect on Diabetes Risk Factors in IndiaMohan Viswanathan; Fiscal Year: 2012..Initiatives have already been launched by our group in China, and are planned for Tanzania, Nigeria, Puerto Rico and Mexico...
- Sex Hormones and the Innate Immune Response to Influenza InfectionDIONNE ROBINSON; Fiscal Year: 2012..In our model system, inoculation of male and female C57BL/6 mice with the mouseadapted influenza A virus, A/Puerto Rico/8/34 (PR8) (H1N1), results in greater morbidity and mortality in females than males, although viral replication ..
- Novel Tetravalent Vaccines for Dengue VirusROBERT GERALD WHALEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..Although dengue rarely occurs in the continental United States, it is endemic in Puerto Rico, and in many popular tourist destinations in Latin America and Southeast Asia...
- Computational and Functional Characterization of the Molecular Steps in Membran*J Troy Littleton; Fiscal Year: 2013..Broader impact: Universidad Central del Caribe (UCC) is a Hispanic serving institution in Puerto Rico (U.S. Commonwealth)...
- The Complexity of Immigrant GenerationsSTEPHEN J TREJO; Fiscal Year: 2010..complexity and ethnic identification for a number of important immigrant groups from Hispanic (Mexico, Puerto Rico, Cuba, El Salvador, and the Dominican Republic) and Asian (China, India, Japan, Korea, and the Philippines) ..
- Neurogenetic Model of Social Behavior Heterogeneity in Autism Spectrum DisordersMichael L Platt; Fiscal Year: 2010..to leverage ongoing collaboration among faculty at Duke University, Yale University, and the University of Puerto Rico to develop a model of heterogeneity in social behavior in a nonhuman primate model in an ethologically natural ..
- A Caribbean Project for Clinical and Basic Neuroscience ResearchEDMUNDO NELSON KRAISELBURD; Fiscal Year: 2011..of local scientists with NIH-funded researchers with skills and expertise otherwise not available in Puerto Rico. With the continued development of our Clinical and Basic Research Programs and of our existing research ..
- Prevention of the Complications of Hemophilia Thru Hemophilila Treatment CentersMD WALSH; Fiscal Year: 2010..are available to treat this and other complicated bleeding disorders in Region II, New York, New Jersey, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands...
- Using Community Based Participatory Research to Improve Health in ChildrenLUISA contact SEIJO MALDONADO; Fiscal Year: 2010..two-sample, pre-post design pilot study using 2 intervened and 2 comparison communities in the Caguas Region of Puerto Rico (PR)...
- UNE'S CONFERENCE DIABETES IN PUERTO RICAN CHILDREN AND ADOLESCENT: EMERGING EPIDELILLIAM LIZARDI-ONEILL; Fiscal Year: 2011..continue to expand at an alarming rate, with the 2007 CDC Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report indicating that Puerto Rico suffers from the highest incidence (12.8 cases for every 1,000 persons) of this devastating disease...
- Targeting the COX-2 Pathway to Reduce Breast Cancer MortalityAmy M Fulton; Fiscal Year: 2012..The current Veteran population in the U.S. and Puerto Rico is approximately 26 million;of these, nearly 200,000 female Veterans will be diagnosed with breast cancer ..
- UFCC for Cardiovascular Cell Therapy Research NetworkCarl J Pepine; Fiscal Year: 2011..structure available through our K30 and T32 programs in related areas and collaborations with the University of Puerto Rico and industry...
- Gene-environments and Admixture in Latino Asthmatics (GALA 2)Esteban Gonzalez Burchard; Fiscal Year: 2012..controls (n = 2000), age 8-21 years, from the Bronx, NY, Chicago, IL, San Francisco, CA, Houston, TX and Puerto Rico. This application has three specific aims...
- Processing of emotional content and brain activation in adolescents treated withGIOVANNI TIRADO SANTIAGO; Fiscal Year: 2010..licensed mental health professionals at either the Institute for Psychological Research at the University of Puerto Rico (UPR), R[unreadable]o Piedras Campus (CBT treatment group), or the Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Program at ..
- Anogenital HPV Infection in a Population-Based Sample of Puerto Rican WomenAna Patricia Ortiz; Fiscal Year: 2012..active populations worldwide, no epidemiological studies of anogenital HPV infection have been conducted in Puerto Rico. Given that infection with certain types of HPV has been associated with cancer of the anus and cervix, ..
- Population-Based Studies in Hispanics: Methodological Issues in Cancer ResearchERICK LEONARDO SUAREZ; Fiscal Year: 2011..seminar programmed under the U54 grant infrastructure, collaborative agreement between the University of Puerto Rico (UPR) and the MD Anderson Cancer Center (MDACC)...
- Epigenomic Markers of HNSCC Survival Across Ethnic GroupsRafael Guerrero-Preston; Fiscal Year: 2013..Rafael, born and raised in Puerto Rico, is currently appointed as an Instructor at the Head and Neck Cancer Research Division of the Department of ..
- Defining breast cancer risk: the role of genetic variations in DNA repair genesJulie Dutil; Fiscal Year: 2012..research independence by establishing herself as an expert in managing the genetic risk for breast cancer in Puerto Rico. Dr. Dutil is well trained in molecular genetics and is surrounded by a strong multidisciplinary team: Dr...
- Hermansky Pudlak Syndrome &melanosome formationGRACA GRACA RAPOSO; Fiscal Year: 2012..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: Hermansky-Pudlak syndrome is a group of genetic disorders that are common in Puerto Rico and are characterized by oculocutaneous albinism, excessive bleeding, and in many cases a fatal lung fibrosis ..
- Antigen-microarray validated monoclonal antibody library for analysis of brain-exSeth Blackshaw; Fiscal Year: 2010..middle term) and Therapeutics (long term) as a collaborative effort by a startup company in Mayaguez, Puerto Rico, CDI, and the High Throughput Biology Center (HiT) at Johns Hopkins University...
- Florida Node Alliance of the Drug Abuse Clinic Trials NetworkJose Szapocznik; Fiscal Year: 2013..We retain our five CTPs in Florida and have recruited CTPs in Colorado, Georgia, North Carolina, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands...
- New Leads Against Cancer and Infectious Diseases from Puerto Rican Reef SpeciesAbimael D Rodriguez; Fiscal Year: 2013..Since less than 1% of the species of marine invertebrates known to exist near Puerto Rico have been assessed chemically for their secondary metabolite composition, and many of these have been shown to ..
- Early Detection of Pervasive Developmental DisordersDeborah A Fein; Fiscal Year: 2013..and cultures, including Japan, China, Spain, the Netherlands, France, Iceland, Ireland, Germany, Egypt, Puerto Rico and Turkey...
- Social, Familial, Neighborhood Factors and Drinking in Puerto RicoGlorisa J Canino; Fiscal Year: 2013..by applicant): Alcohol-related problems, abuse and dependence are an important public health problem in Puerto Rico. Unfortunately, public health authorities on the island lack the epidemiological data on drinking and its ..
- Evaluating Changes in Biopharmaceutical Therapies for Medicare and other PayersErnst R Berndt; Fiscal Year: 2013..received by domestic manufacturers of prescription pharmaceuticals, excluding imports from other countries and Puerto Rico. The proposed research examines CPI-Rx and PPI-Rx sampling procedures, and the ability of these indexes to ..
- TRAINING GRANT IN MOLECULAR MECHANISMS OF TOXICITY.Mary Vore; Fiscal Year: 2013..D. program, including 6 minority students, most of whom were recruited from the University of Puerto Rico and supported by summer research/education grants...
- San Juan Minority-Based Community Clinical Oncology ProgramLuis Baez; Fiscal Year: 2013..The program brings to the Island of Puerto Rico in the Caribbean, state of the art, NCI-sponsored, Cancer Prevention, Control and Treatment Clinical Research ..
- Hispanic Stroke Prevention Intervention Research ProgramRalph L Sacco; Fiscal Year: 2013..Intervention Research Program is a collaborative application from the University of Miami and the University of Puerto Rico aimed at reducing stroke disparities in the Hispanic community...
- Pharmacogenetics of Warfarin in Puerto Rican Patients using a Physiogenomics ApprJorge Duconge; Fiscal Year: 2013..I am a new investigator and faculty member at the University of Puerto Rico Medical Sciences Campus, a minority-serving institution, and this SC2-type pilot project is my first attempt to ..
- Inherited genetic factors in breast cancer predisposition and tumor presentationJulie Dutil; Fiscal Year: 2013..DRC) levels, which measures mostly the activity of the NER, have been observed in breast cancer cases from Puerto Rico when compared to non-cancer controls...
- EPR 2010Balaraman Kalyanaraman; Fiscal Year: 2010..It will be held May 2-6, 2010 at the Condado Plaza Hotel, San Juan, Puerto Rico. The meeting is sponsored by the Department of Chemistry at the University of Puerto Rico at Humacao, and the ..
- UPRH Biomedical Research Improvement ProgramAntonio E Alegria; Fiscal Year: 2010The general aim of this SCORE application is the upgrade of physical and human resources at the University of Puerto Rico at Humacao (UPRH) in order to increase and improve its biomedical research activity...
- Networks, Pathways and Dynamics of Lysine ModificationJef D Boeke; Fiscal Year: 2011..Including an internship for students in Puerto Rico, are integrated with the Technology Development aspects ofthe proposal...
- Relationship Experiences among Puerto Rican Heterosexual HIV Serodiscordant CouplSHEILLA LEE RODRIGUEZ; Fiscal Year: 2010..In turn, Puerto Rico is one of the most affected areas among the US territories with more than 32,000 reported cases...
- Viral/Immune parameters of Dengue and WNV in donors: blood safety implicationsMICHAEL PAUL BUSCH; Fiscal Year: 2010..recently reported, and we have documented high rates of viremia in blood donors in Central/South America and Puerto Rico (PR), a US territory whose blood supply is run by the American Red Cross...
- Summer Research at the University of Minnesota Medical SchoolCOLIN R CAMPBELL; Fiscal Year: 2013..Recruit a diverse, academically outstanding cohort of students from across the US and Puerto Rico to the University of Minnesota, 2...
- 11th International Symposium on dsRNA VirusesMargaret E Conner; Fiscal Year: 2012..The 2012 meeting will be held at the Caribe Hilton Hotel in San Juan Puerto Rico from November 27 to December 1, 2012...
- Oral HPV Infection Among HIV+/HIV- Male Drug Users in Puerto RicoVIVIAN COLON; Fiscal Year: 2012..an augmented incidence of HPV-associated oropharyngeal cancers has been observed in the United States (US) and Puerto Rico (PR) and has been identified as an emerging viral epidemic of cancer. Using data from Dr...
- Cultural Development of an Adolescent Mental Health Quality of Life InstrumentLigia M Chavez; Fiscal Year: 2012..psychometric properties of the measure developed in Aim 1 using clinical and nonclinical samples of youth from Puerto Rico and the US...
- Increasing Oral Cancer Screening by Dentists:Qualitative Research on PractitionerWalter J Psoter; Fiscal Year: 2012Age-adjusted (world) oral cancer (OC) incidence and mortality rates for Puerto Rico (PR) are among the highest in the Western Hemisphere...
- Natural Disaster and Risk of Psychiatric Disorders in Puerto Rican ChildrenErika D Felix; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): From the Hurricane Georges disaster that struck Puerto Rico, a database with unique potential to address many of the methodological short-comings of much of previous child disaster mental health ..
- SEMEN IN TRANSMISSION OF HIVPhalguni Gupta; Fiscal Year: 2010..for studies described in Aims 1 and 2 will be obtained from HIV infected subjects from Dominican republic and Puerto Rico though our ongoing collaborative studies...
- Genomic Origins and Admixture in Latinos (GOAL)Eden R Martin; Fiscal Year: 2013..S. populations of Caribbean- descent: Puerto Rico, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Haiti, Honduras and Colombia...
- Targeting c-MYC Overcomes Temsirolimus and Cisplatin Resistance of Ovarian CancerPABLO ELIAS VIVAS-MEJIA; Fiscal Year: 2013..Investigator and his career goals are to transition into an independent investigator at the University of Puerto Rico Comprehensive Cancer Center (UPRCCC)...
- UPRCCC/MDACC: Partnership for Excellence in Cancer Research (1 of 2)David W Wetter; Fiscal Year: 2013..This is a renewal application for the Partnership for Excellence in Cancer Research between The University of Puerto Rico (UPR) and The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center (MDACC)...
- Molecular epidemiology studies on the role of DNA repair breast cancerJaime L Matta; Fiscal Year: 2012Cancer is the second leading cause of mortality in the USA and Puerto Rico (PR). Breast cancer (BC) is the most common cancer in women in PR...
- UFRCC for Cardiovascular Cell Therapy Research NetworkCarl J Pepine; Fiscal Year: 2013..Additional unique aspects of the UFRCC include collaborations with University of Puerto Rico, and industry. This work will improve our understanding of the role of cell therapy in CVD patients...
- Evaluation of Dengue Epidemiology, Outcomes and Prevention in Sentinel SurveillanHECTOR F GORBEA; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The Puerto Rico Active Dengue Surveillance (PRADS) is a research project that aims to develop an infrastructure for a hospital-based active dengue surveillance system that will serve as a model and ..
- Summer Education Experience for ResearchMary Vore; Fiscal Year: 2012..Students will be recruited from the University of Puerto Rico (UPR) as the continuation of a program for students from UPR that has been cosponsored by the University of ..
- Translational Studies of Prefrontal Control of Fear ExtinctionGregory J Quirk; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Puerto Rico), and the other in humans (Co-PI: Pitman, MGH-Harvard)...
- University of Puerto Rico Clinical Trials UnitCarmen D Zorrilla; Fiscal Year: 2013The University of Puerto Rico Clinical Trials Unit (UPR-CTU) is a coalition/merge of the three previous independent Clinical Trials Sites associated to the AACTG, HVTN and PACTG Networks...
- University of Puerto Rico Clinical Trials UnitCarmen D Zorrilla; Fiscal Year: 2011The University of Puerto Rico Clinical Trials Unit (UPR-CTU) is a coalition/merge of the three previous independent Clinical Trials Sites associated to the AACTG, HVTN and PACTG Networks...
- New Recruitment to Expand Neuroscience Research at the UPR School of MedicineMaria A Sosa; Fiscal Year: 2010..the hiring of two new faculty at the Department of Anatomy &Neurobiology (A &N) of the University of Puerto Rico's (UPR) School of Medicine (SoM) to develop research projects within the context of a SoM Neuroscience ..
- Enhanced Access to HIV Care for Drug Users in San Juan, Puerto RicoJorge L Santana-Bagur; Fiscal Year: 2013..A particularly difficult subpopulation to link to and retain in HIV care are HIV-infected drug users. In Puerto Rico, drug use, especially injection drug use, continues to fuel a fast-growing HIV epidemic...
- Neuroscience Research Opportunities for Hispanics (NeuROH)Irving E Vega; Fiscal Year: 2011..proposal entitled Neuroscience Research Opportunities to Increase Diversity (NeuroID) from the University of Puerto Rico Rio Piedras Campus aims to increase the opportunities available for undergraduate students in the area of ..
- Socio-Cultural Influences on Allergic SensitizationGinger Chew; Fiscal Year: 2006..to indoor allergens, and how socioeconomic status, level of acculturation, and travel between NYC and Puerto Rico among these families influences this critical exposure...
- HTLV-I INFECTION AND ATLMiguel Suarez; Fiscal Year: 1992..Wide spread i.v. drug addiction is a serious health as well as socioeconomic problem in Puerto Rico, and the incidence of AIDS on the island is extremely high, indeed...
- FACULTY DVMT &CLIN BEHV RES CORESCarmen D Zorrilla; Fiscal Year: 2009..a Comprehensive Center with the purpose of enhancing the clinical and translational research capabilities in Puerto Rico through a collaborative effort between the three accredited Medical Schools in PR, the UPR School of Public ..
- CANCER MORTALITY FEASIBILITY STUDYCarlos Crespo; Fiscal Year: 1999..The age-adjusted cancer mortality in Puerto Rico is lower than in the United States; however, the age-adjusted stomach, oral cavity and prostate cancer ..
- Diet and Cancer in Puerto Rican MenJo Freudenheim; Fiscal Year: 2004..This is a small grant to study prospectively diet and prostate cancer among Puerto Rican men who took part in the Puerto Rico Heart Health Program (PRHHP)...
- Familial Colorectal Cancer Registry in Puerto Rico: A Feasibility StudyMarcia Cruz Correa; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Colorectal cancer (CRC) is the second leading cause of cancer in Puerto Rico (PR) accounting for approximately 1,500 individuals annually, which represent 12% of all cancer cases in the island...
- 19th Annual Symposium-Nonhuman Primate Models for AIDSRonald Desrosiers; Fiscal Year: 2001..The symposium will be held November 7-11, 2001 at the Caribe Hilton Hotel and Conference Center in San Juan, Puerto Rico and will be hosted by the New England Regional Primate Research Center (NERPRC), Harvard Medical School and the ..
- RETINAL AGING IN MACACA MULATTA FROM PUERTO RICOEARL KICLITER; Fiscal Year: 1999..by the availability of a unique population of rhesus monkeys of the same genetic stock that live outdoors in Puerto Rico. The rhesus monkey retina is a good model of the human retina...
- Intervention for Depressed Latina Mothers of Children with AsthmaELIZABETH L contact MCQUAID; Fiscal Year: 2010..Focus groups will be conducted with our target population in Rhode Island and Puerto Rico to refine intervention content...