Genomes and Genes
Summary: A country in northern Africa. Its capital is Tripoli. The general geographical area has been known since ancient times to the Phoenicians, Greeks, and Romans. Although the name is ancient and appeared in Egyptian hieroglyphics as early as 2000 B.C., the meaning is not known. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p668)
Publications227 found, 100 shown here
- Compounding tragedyDavid M Keepnews
Policy Polit Nurs Pract 8:5-6. 2007The case of six health professionals imprisoned and facing execution in Libya only deepens the tragedy of an HIV outbreak among hospitalized children in the late 1990s. Worldwide attention has been focused on this case...
- Canine echinococcosis in northwest Libya: assessment of coproantigen ELISA, and a survey of infection with analysis of risk-factorsI E Buishi
Cestode Zoonoses Research Group, Bioscience Research Institute and School of Environment and Life Sciences, University of Salford, Greater Manchester M5 4WT, UK
Vet Parasitol 130:223-32. 2005..and risk factors for canine echinococcosis in different endemic localities in the Tripoli area of northwest Libya, stray dogs were examined post-mortem, and owned dogs screened for Echinococcus granulosus infection using a ..
- Molecular epidemiology: HIV-1 and HCV sequences from Libyan outbreakTulio de Oliveira
Department of Zoology, University of Oxford, Oxford OX1 3PS, UK
Nature 444:836-7. 2006..1 (HIV-1) and hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection were reported in children attending Al-Fateh Hospital in Benghazi, Libya. Here we use molecular phylogenetic techniques to analyse new virus sequences from these outbreaks...
- Primary malignant tumors of orofacial region at Benghazi, Libya: a 17 years reviewKrishnaraj Subhashraj
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, Al Arab Medical Science University, Benghazi, Libya
Cancer Epidemiol 33:332-6. 2009..7%). The incidence of oral malignancy is impressively low with respect to the corresponding levels in other countries in Africa and some European countries...
- Hospital waste management in Libya: a case studyM Sawalem
Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Duisburg Essen, Bismarckstr 90, 47057 Duisburg, NRW, Germany
Waste Manag 29:1370-5. 2009In Libya, as in many developing countries, little information is available regarding generation, handling and disposal of hospital waste. This fact hinders the development and implementation of hospital waste management schemes...
- Emerging cutaneous leishmaniasis in Sirte-Libya: epidemiology, recognition and managementFouad M Fathy
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, Alexandria University, Egypt
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 39:881-905. 2009The present work aimed to determine the risk factors, lesion pattern and effective therapy of emerging ZCL in Sirte-Libya. The study was carried out on 163 patients referred to health centers of Al-Gadaheya and Al-Hisha villages in the ..
- Prevalence of intestinal parasites among primary schoolchildren in Derna District, LibyaGazala A Sadaga
Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, Omar El Mouktar University, Derna, Libya
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 37:205-14. 2007..000), socio-economic status of the family (P = 0.000), family size and number of rooms in houses (P = 0.000). Also, there was a significant differences between infection rate and source of water for human consumption (P = 0.05)...
- Science in Libya. From pariah to science powerhouse?John Bohannon
Science 308:182-4. 2005
- Risk factors for stunting among under-fives in LibyaAdel El Taguri
Hopital Necker Enfants Malades, 149 rue de Sevres, F 75743 Paris Cedex 15, France
Public Health Nutr 12:1141-9. 2009Stunting is a chronic condition reflecting poor nutrition and health. Our aim was to ascertain major predictors of stunting in children <5 years old in Libya.
- Prevalence of diabetes mellitus and impaired glucose tolerance in Benghazi LibyaO A Kadiki
P O Box 51, Benghazi, Libya
Diabetes Metab 27:647-54. 2001..by a house to house study, the prevalence of diabetes, impaired glucose tolerance (IGT) and their associated risk factors in Benghazi, Libya using 75 gram oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) and ADA 1997 and WHO 1998 diagnostic criteria.
- First report of Leishmania (L) killicki Rioux, Lanotte & Pratlong, 1986 in LibyaK Aoun
Parasite 13:87-8. 2006
- Incidence of type 1 diabetes in children (0-14 years) in Benghazi Libya (1991-2000)O A Kadiki
Benghazi Diabetes Centre, Benghazi, Libya
Diabetes Metab 28:463-7. 2002Incidence of Type 1 diabetes in 0-14 year olds in Benghazi (Libya) during the period 1981-1990 was 7.0/10 5...
- Hydatidosis in camels (Camelus dromedarius) slaughtered at Sirt Abattoir, LibyaHamed H Kassem
Department of Zoology, Faculty of Science, Garyounis University, P O Box 9480, Benghazi
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 36:1-10. 2006..77%) than those of liver (14.23%). The mean number of cysts in infected liver was 1 to 15 and in infected lung were 1 to 17 cysts. Intensity of infection increased with increasing age. Cysts size varied from 1-8 cm in diameter...
- Intestinal parasitic infection among children and neonatus admitted to Ibn-Sina Hospital, Sirt, LibyaHamed H Kasssem
Department of Zoology, Faculty of Science, Garyounis University1, P O Box 9480, Benghazi, Libya
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 37:371-80. 2007..The socio-economic status of children parents revealed that high prevalence in children from medium socio-economic status. The family size had no significant effect on the prevalence of the intestinal parasites...
- Molar-incisor hypomineralization (MIH) in a group of school-aged children in Benghazi, LibyaD Fteita
Pediatric and Preventive Dentistry, Institute of Dentistry, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Eur Arch Paediatr Dent 7:92-5. 2006..The aim of the present study was to assess developmental enamel defects with an emphasis to MIH in children from four primary schools in Benghazi, Libya.
- Prevalence of Helicobacter pylori infection in asymptomatic subjects in LibyaAsim S Bakka
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Garyounis University, Benghazi, Libya
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 43:265-8. 2002..No detailed study on such infection is being recorded so far in Libya. The aims of the study were to detect H...
- A survey of ticks on farm animals in LibyaM M Gabaj
Department of Veterinary Parasitology, School of Tropical Medicine, Liverpool
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 86:543-8. 1992..species of ixodid ticks and two species of argasid ticks were collected during a three-year survey of 58 farms in Libya. These included Boophilus annulatus, B. microplus, B...
- Uropathogens from diabetic patients in Libya: virulence factors and phylogenetic groups of Escherichia coli isolatesKhalifa Sifaw Ghenghesh
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Faculty of Medicine, Al Fateh University for Medical Sciences, Tripoli, Libya
J Med Microbiol 58:1006-14. 2009..patients, all with clinically diagnosed UTIs, attending Elkhadra Hospital and the Diabetic Center in Tripoli, Libya. Specimens were examined for different uropathogens using standard microbiological procedures...
- PCR detection of toxic shock syndrome toxin of Staphylococcus aureus from Tripoli, LibyaAbdulmula El-Ghodban
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Science, Etovos Lorand University, Budapest, Hungary
J Med Microbiol 55:179-82. 2006..This is the first time that PCR detection of tst in S. aureus has been reported from Libya, and further studies are needed on the occurrence of toxic shock syndrome in the community and the role of TSST-1-..
- Neurological disorders in Libya: an overviewHani T S Benamer
Neurology Department, Queen Elizabeth Neuroscience Centre, Queen Elizabeth University Hospital, Birmingham, UK
Neuroepidemiology 29:143-9. 2007..of this study was to review all publications related to the incidence and prevalence of neurological disorders in Libya, and to estimate the burden of these disorders in the country...
- Epidemiology and strain characteristics of Echinococcus granulosus in the Benghazi area of eastern LibyaO A Tashani
Department of Zoology, Garyounis University, P O Box 17192, Benghazi, Libya
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 96:369-81. 2002The incidence of surgically confirmed cystic echinococcosis in eastern Libya was estimated to be at least 4.2 cases/100,000, with significantly more female cases than male...
- Carriage by the German cockroach (Blattella germanica) of multiple-antibiotic-resistant bacteria that are potentially pathogenic to humans, in hospitals and households in Tripoli, LibyaR M Elgderi
Department of Zoology, Faculty of Sciences, Al Fateh University, P O Box 13537, Tripoli, Libya
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 100:55-62. 2006..The local health and environmental authorities need to be encouraged to treat B. germanica infestations seriously and to control them quickly and effectively...
- Trichophyton violaceum is the dominant cause of tinea capitis in children in Tripoli, Libya: results of a two year surveyMohamed S Ellabib
Department of Medical Microbiology, Medical College, Al Fateh University, Tripoli, Libya
Mycopathologia 153:145-7. 2002..7% (144/584) and T. mentagrophytes at 5.5% (32/584). The majority of infections (380/584) occurred in females and in children with ages less than 12 years (554/584)...
- Serotypes, virulence factors, antibiotic sensitivity, beta-lactamase activity and plasmid analysis of Salmonella from children with diarrhea in Tripoli (Libya)A el-Ghodban
Department of Microbiology, Eotvos Lorand University, Pazmany Peter setany 1 C, H 1117 Budapest, Hungary
Acta Microbiol Immunol Hung 49:433-44. 2002A total of 21 Salmonella strains isolated in Libya (16 from children with diarrhea and 5 from healthy controls) were serotyped and studied for their cell invasive ability, production of cytotoxin, antibiotic susceptibility, beta-..
- Hepatitis B virus and hepatitis C virus in medical waste handlers in Tripoli, LibyaE Franka
Faculty of Medicine, Al Fateh University for Medical Sciences, Tripoli, Libya
J Hosp Infect 72:258-61. 2009..prevalence of hepatitis B virus (HBV), hepatitis C virus (HCV) or human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) among MWHs in Libya. During a one-year period (January to December 2004) blood samples from 300 (59 females) MWHs employed by a local ..
- Cancer incidence in eastern Libya: the first report from the Benghazi Cancer Registry, 2003Mufid El Mistiri
Benghazi Cancer Registry, Department of Oncology and Hematology, Garyounis University, Benghazi, Libya
Int J Cancer 120:392-7. 2007..in Northern Africa is still limited and, until now, there have been no population-based data available for Libya. In this paper, we present the first data collected and analyzed by the Benghazi Cancer Registry...
- Carriage by the housefly (Musca domestica) of multiple-antibiotic-resistant bacteria that are potentially pathogenic to humans, in hospital and other urban environments in Misurata, LibyaN Rahuma
Department of Biology, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Misurata University, P O Box 2478, Misurata, Libya
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 99:795-802. 2005..aureus, in the hospital environment. Given their mobility, it seems likely that houseflies carry such pathogens from hospitals to surrounding communities, and vice versa...
- Intestinal parasitosis in Nalout popularity, western LibyaM K Al Kilani
Department of Laboratories, Faculty of Medical Technology, Al Gabal Al Gharby University, Libya
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 38:255-64. 2008..5%), Giardia lamblia (2.5%), Balantidium coli (0.38%), and Hymenolepis nana (0.38%) A Sudanese immigrant employee had Strongyloides stercoralis larva in stool culture...
- Epidemiology of flea infestation of ruminants in LibyaJ F Kaal
Department of Small Animal Clinical Studies, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University College Dublin, Belfield, Dublin 4, Ireland
Vet Parasitol 141:313-8. 2006The results of an epidemiological and clinical study of flea infestations of farm animals in northern Libya is reported. Of 12,130 sheep examined from 124 flocks, 150 sheep were found to be infested with fleas from 50 different flocks...
- Studies on the screwworm fly Cochliomyia hominivorax in Libya: effect of temperature on pupation and eclosionO R Elwaer
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Al Fateh University, Tripoli, Libya
Parasitol Res 77:48-9. 1991The American screwworm fly Cochliomyia hominivorax has recently been reported in Libya (El-Azazy 1989)...
- Effects of Ramadan upon fluid and food intake, fatigue, and physical, mental, and social activities: a comparison between the UK and LibyaJim Waterhouse
Research Institute for Sport and Exercise Sciences, Liverpool John Moores University, Liverpool, UK
Chronobiol Int 25:697-724. 2008Two studies were performed during Ramadan, one in the UK (N=31) and the other in Libya (N=33). The aims were to assess some changes to lifestyle that are produced by fasting as well as effects due to culture...
- Trichomoniasis among women with vaginal discharge in Benghazi city, LibyaHamed H Kassem
Department of Zoology, Faculty of Science, Garyounis University, P O Box 9480, Benghazi, Libya
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 36:1007-16. 2006..29/2450, (1.2%) had T. vaginalis. The infected women suffered vaginalis discharge (93.10%), burning (81.48%), vulvar pruritus (79.39%), dyspareuria (40.47%), dysuria (21.43%) and strawberry appearance (75.86%)...
- Kidney transplantation in Libya: a North African and Middle Eastern perspectiveEhtuish F Ehtuish
Organ Transplant Center, Tripoli Central Hospital, Tripoli, Libya, and Department of Surgery, Drexel University Medical College, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Exp Clin Transplant 4:425-8. 2006In August 2004, a national organ transplant program utilizing the latest policies, procedures, and protocols was begun in Libya. During the first year of the program, 50 kidney transplantations from living donors were performed.
- Etiology of childhood diarrhea in Zliten, LibyaMustafa B Ali
Department of Biology, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, El Khomes University, El Khomes, Libya
Saudi Med J 26:1759-65. 2005To determine the etiological agents of diarrhea in children from a small semi-urban city in Libya and the association of age, gender, seasonal variation, breast-feeding, source of water for drinking, or antibiotic use with the isolation ..
- Study on human ophthalmomyiasis externa caused by Oestrus ovis larva, in Sirte-Libya: parasite features, clinical presentation and managementFouad M Fathy
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, Alexandria University, Egypt
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 36:265-82, following 282. 2006..The study included 20 patients referred to university hospital of Sirte, Libya. Results showed that the condition was more common among adult male shepherds and farmers in rural areas...
- Expanding global distribution of rotavirus serotype G9: detection in Libya, Kenya, and CubaN A Cunliffe
University of Liverpool, United Kinngdom
Emerg Infect Dis 7:890-2. 2001..cross-sectional studies of childhood diarrhea, we have detected serotype G9 rotaviruses for the first time in Libya, Kenya, and Cuba...
- Living related kidney transplantation in Libya: a single center experienceA Usta
Department of Surgery, National Organ Transplant Program, Tripoli Central Hospital, Tripoli, Libyan Arab Jamahirriya
Transplant Proc 40:3428-33. 2008The aim of this study was to establish a successful living related kidney transplantation program in Libya and to bring down health care costs in management of patients with end-stage renal disease.
- Hydatidosis- chinococcosis in Libya (review article)Hamed H Kassem
Department of Zoology, Faculty of Science, Garyounis University, P O Box 9480, Benghazi, Libya
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 36:21-6. 2006Cystic echinococcosis due to Echinococcus granulosus is a serious public health and livestock economy problem in Libya. The present paper reviewed and summarized all data available on hydatidosis since 1970...
- The New World screwworm fly in Libya: a review of its introduction and eradicationD A Lindquist
Screwworm Emergency Centre for North Africa SECNA Field Programme, Tripoli, Libya
Med Vet Entomol 6:2-8. 1992..of sterile flies was terminated on 17 October 1991, 6 months after the last detected case of screwworm myiasis in Libya. Intensive surveillance and quarantine activities will, however, continue through 1992...
- Libya, HIV, and open communicationKuan Teh Jeang
Retrovirology 3:99. 2006..It also comments on the role played by open communication for bridging cultural misunderstandings and summarizes briefly Retrovirology's progress in 2006...
- Prevalence of human hydatid disease in northwestern Libya: a cross-sectional ultrasound studyM K Shambesh
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Salford
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 86:381-6. 1992..an ultrasound survey of the prevalence of hydatid disease (Echinococcus granulosus) in five areas of northwestern Libya; hydatid cysts were seen in 57 (1.4%), an overall prevalence of approximately 2...
- Mohmmar Qadaffi, open access, and retrovirologyKuan Teh Jeang
National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
Retrovirology 1:24. 2004..In this editorial, I review the reasons for and the advantages of Open Access publishing, update our progress to date, and summarize where we intend to go with this journal...
- Retrial ordered for health workers imprisoned in LibyaBojan Pancevski
Lancet 367:292. 2006
- Segregation analysis of mandibular prognathism in LibyaA A El-Gheriani
Department of Human Genetics, Graduate School of Public Health, 500 Cellomics Bldg, University of Pittsburgh, 100 Technology Dr, Pittsburgh, PA 15219, USA
J Dent Res 82:523-7. 2003..Segregation analysis of a prognathic mandible in the entire dataset supported a transmissible Mendelian major effect, with a dominant mode of inheritance determined to be the most parsimonious...
- HIV injustice in Libya--scapegoating foreign medical professionalsElisabeth Rosenthal
International Herald Tribune
N Engl J Med 355:2505-8. 2006
- An open letter to Colonel Muammar al-GaddafiRichard J Roberts
Nature 444:146. 2006
- Monophyletic HIV type 1 CRF02-AG in a nosocomial outbreak in Benghazi, LibyaUbaldo Visco-Comandini
National Institute for Infectious Diseases Lazzaro Spallanzani, IRCCS, Rome, Italy
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 18:727-32. 2002A cluster of HIV-1 infection has been identified in Libya in 1999, involving 402 children admitted to "El-Fath" Children's Hospital in Benghazi (BCH) during 1998 and 19 of their mothers...
- 'Libyan Trial': a verdict running counter to scientific evidenceEric Fleutelot
Head of International Programs, Sidaction, Paris, France
Retrovirology 3:98. 2006..Sidaction's appeal regarding the sentencing of medical personnels in the Libyan-HIV infection cases...
- Science in Libya. Evidence overruled: medics on death rowJohn Bohannon
Science 308:184-5. 2005
- Bulgarian nurses appeal Libyan death sentenceMargarete Lieb Zalon
University of Scranton, Department of Nursing, USA
Pa Nurse 60:22. 2005
- Justice in Libya? Let scientific evidence prevailMartin S Hirsch
J Infect Dis 195:467-8. 2007
- Crisis in Libya: Doctor and nurses under death sentenceNikolai Tsankov
Clin Dermatol 23:527. 2005
- Hydatid cyst--an unusual presentationAnuj Mishra
Department of Transplant Radiology, National Organ Transplant Program, Tripoli Central Hospital, University of Al Fateh, Tripoli, Libya
Saudi Med J 27:892-3. 2006
- Libya negotiates deal for release of doctor, 5 nursesTavé van Zyl
CMAJ 177:448. 2007
- US criticises Bulgarian nurses' conviction. Condemnation for death sentences met by protests in LibyaKhabir Ahmad
Lancet 363:1611. 2004
- Intestinal parasites in school aged children and the first case report on amoebiasis in urinary bladder in Tripoli, LibyaNajla A Ben Musa
Department of Medical Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, Al Fateh University, Tripoli, Libya
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 37:775-84. 2007..The rates of protozoa were Entamoeba histolytica 4%, Entamoeba coli 4% and Giardia lamblia 2%. The problem was created by parasitosis in endangering children's health are more increasing in Tripoli District...
- The prevalence of coeliac disease in Libyan children with type 1 diabetes mellitusAbdelhakim Ashabani
Department of Immunology and Gnotobiology, Institute of Microbiology, Czech Academy of Sciences, Videnska, Prague, Czech Republic
Diabetes Metab Res Rev 19:69-75. 2003..There are no data on the prevalence of CD in the Libyan population and Libyan DM patients. The aim of this study was to test the occurrence of CD-related markers in a group of Libyan children with DM...
- Intestinal parasitic infections among school children in Tripoli, LibyaNajla Ben Musa
Department of Parasitology, Faculties of Medicine, El Fateh University, Tripoli, Libya
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 37:1011-6. 2007..This was a preliminary approach to clarify the status on intestinal parasites since reliable reportable data being still comparatively lacking, which might be a guide for a feasible national control program...
- Clinical manifestations in Israeli cystinuria patients and molecular assessment of carrier rates in Libyan Jewish controlsRoy Sidi
Danek Gartner Institute of Human Genetics, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 5:439-42. 2003..Mutations in SLC3A1 cause type I disease, while mutations in SLC7A9 are associated with non-type I disease. In Israel, cystinuria is especially common among Libyan Jews who suffer from non-type I disease...
- Libya: foreign health-care workers sentenced to death for deliberate infectionBarbara Mysko
HIV AIDS Policy Law Rev 9:61. 2004..accused of deliberately infecting 426 children with HIV were sentenced to death by the Benghazi Criminal Court in Libya. The execution is to be carried out by firing squad...
- Prevalence of echinococcosis in street dogs in Tripole District, LibyaNajla A Ben Musa
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, El Fateh University, Tripoli, Libya
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 37:793-800. 2007Cystic echinococcosis due to E. granulosus is a serious public health and livestock economy problem in Libya. Kato thick smear examination of 50 street dogs stools showed that they had Echinococcus granulosus (58%), Taenia spp...
- Cancer mortality in Benghazi, Libyan Arab Jamahiriya, 1991-96R Singh
Department of Family Medicine, Al-Arab Medical University, Benghazi, Libyan Arab Jamahiriya
East Mediterr Health J 7:255-73. 2001..The results point to the necessity for conducting comprehensive prospective studies, initiating a cancer registry and establishing a national cancer control programme...
- The diagnostic value of C-reactive protein, white blood cell count and neutrophil percentage in childhood appendicitisAdnan A Mohammed
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Medical Faculty, PO Box 9350, Benghazi, Libya
Saudi Med J 25:1212-5. 2004..To analyze the value of C-reactive protein (CRP), total white blood cell count (WBC), and neutrophil percentage in the diagnosis of suspected cases of childhood appendicitis...
- The modified Blalock-Taussig shunt: a 6-year experience from a developing countryH A Maghur
Mesallata Cardiothoracic Centre, Libya
Pediatr Cardiol 23:49-52. 2002Since 1992 we have performed the modified Blalock-Taussig shunt (MBTS) for cyanotic children in Libya. This retrospective study reviews our results as a developing country, comparing them with those in the literature, and makes ..
- Comparative metal distribution in hair of Pakistani and Libyan population and source identification by multivariate analysisMunir H Shah
Department of Chemistry, Quaid i Azam University, Islamabad, Pakistan
Environ Monit Assess 114:505-19. 2006..The results of the present study are compared with those reported for subjects from other regions of the world...
- Treatment strategy of inguinal hernia in infants and children in Eastern LibyaAmal R Omar
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Sebha Teaching Hospital, Sebha, Libya
Saudi Med J 25:753-5. 2004..The aim of the study is to evaluate and improve the treatment strategy of inguinal hernia in children...
- Sleep problems among pupils in Benghazi, LibyaMarwan M Al-Sharbati
Department of Behavioral Medicine and Psychiatry, College of Medicine, Sultan Qaboos University, Al Khoud, PO Box 35, Postal C 123, Sultanate of Oman
Saudi Med J 23:1105-9. 2002..To find the prevalence of sleep problems among pupils, its possible causes and associated behaviors...
- Diplomatic talks spur hope in Libya HIV caseDeclan Butler
Nature 447:624-5. 2007
- Libyan ordeal ends: medics freedDeclan Butler
Nature 448:398. 2007
- Long term formalin preserved stool specimens for detection of intestinal parasites from school aged children in Tripoli, LibyaNajla A Ben Musa
Department of Medical Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, Al Fateh University, Tripoli, Libya
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 37:1049-54. 2007..63% was infected with intestinal parasites. No distortion or alteration of morphology was observed particularly in G. lamblia. Preservation in 10% formalin is a very productive means for the accurate identification of protozoan parasites...
- Clinicians await end to HIV trial ordeal in LibyaKelly Morris
Lancet Infect Dis 4:130. 2004
- [More than a hundred Nobel price winners face Libyan obscurantism]Jean Yves Nau
Rev Med Suisse 2:2639. 2006
- Foreign health workers look set to escape Libyan death sentenceOwen Dyer
BMJ 335:115. 2007
- Growth of preschool children in the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya: regional and sociodemographic differencesJ Hameida
Ecole de Santé Publique, Vandoeuvre les Nancy, France
East Mediterr Health J 8:458-69. 2002..Stunting was significantly related to age and region and to maternal education level and family size. Wasting was highly correlated with maternal education...
- Libyan government lets AIDS experts comment on hospital deathsKatka Krosnar
BMJ 327:360. 2003
- Ethnic differences in CYP2C9*2 (Arg144Cys) and CYP2C9*3 (Ile359Leu) genotypes in Japanese and Israeli populationsKenji Nakai
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Iwate Medical University, Morioka 020 8505, Japan
Life Sci 78:107-11. 2005..85/0.15) and Yemenite Jews (0.849/0.151). Thus, the CYP2C9*2 (Arg144Cys) and CYP2C9*3 (Ile359Leu) variants were rare in the Japanese population, and showed different frequencies in the four Jewish ethnic groups examined...
- Megalencephalic leukoencephalopathy with subcortical cysts; a founder effect in Israeli patients and a higher than expected carrier rate among Libyan JewsBruria Ben-Zeev
Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Israel
Hum Genet 111:214-8. 2002..G59E mutation, revealed a carrier rate of 1/40 compared with an expected carrier rate of 1/81. Several explanations could account for this difference the most likely one is an admixture of the Libyan Jewish population...
- The imaging appearance of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease caused by the E200K mutationRobert K Fulbright
Department of Radiology, Yale University School of Medicine, MRRC, The Anlyan Center N137, P O Box 208043, New Haven, CT 06520 8043, USA
Magn Reson Imaging 24:1121-9. 2006..These results provide a framework for future study of patients with genetically defined familial CJD...
- Nosocomial outbreak of multiple bloodborne viral infectionsS Yerly
Laboratory of Virology, Division of Infectious Diseases, Geneva University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
J Infect Dis 184:369-72. 2001..After a major outbreak of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection in approximately 400 children in 1998 in Libya, we tested HIV, hepatitis C virus (HCV), and hepatitis B virus (HBV) markers in 148 children and collected ..
- Incidence and control of brucellosis in the Near East regionMohamed Refai
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Cairo University, Giza, Egypt
Vet Microbiol 90:81-110. 2002..Brucellosis in camels has been reported in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Oman, Iraq, Iran, Sudan, Egypt, Libya and Somalia. It has been reported even in racing camels in the United Arab Emirates...
- There are many Mediterranean dietsA Noah
Human Nutrition Unit, University of Sydney, NSW, Australia
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 10:2-9. 2001..Spain, southern France, Italy, Malta, Croatia, Bosnia, Albania, Greece, Cyprus, Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Egypt, Libya, Malta, Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco...
- In memoriam: Efremov D. Georgi (1932-2011). Founder of the molecular biology in the Republic of Macedonia - biochemist, geneticistM Polenakovic
Macedonian Academy of Sciences and Arts
Prilozi 32:333-6. 2011..He has been a visiting professor at a number of universities in the USA, Cuba, Libya and Kuwait...
- Co-distribution pattern of a haemogregarine Hemolivia mauritanica (Apicomplexa: Haemogregarinidae) and its vector Hyalomma aegyptium (Metastigmata: Ixodidae)Pavel Siroký
Department of Biology and Wildlife Diseases, Faculty of Veterinary Hygiene and Ecology, University of Veterinary and Pharmaceutical Sciences Brno, Palackeho 1 3, 612 42 Brno, Czech Republic
J Parasitol 95:728-33. 2009..Hyalomma aegyptium was absent in the western Souss Valley and Ourika Valley in Morocco, the Cyrenaica Peninsula in Libya, Jordan, and the Antilebanon Mountains in Syria...
- Leishmaniasis in the World Health Organization Eastern Mediterranean RegionJose A Ruiz Postigo
World Health Organization, Eastern Mediterranean Regional Office, Cairo, Egypt
Int J Antimicrob Agents 36:S62-5. 2010..of zoonotic cutaneous leishmaniasis, caused by Leishmania major, occur in Afghanistan, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Libya, Morocco, Palestine, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia and Yemen...
- Self-medication with antibiotics in the ambulatory care setting within the Euro-Mediterranean region; results from the ARMed projectElizabeth Anne Scicluna
Infection Control Unit, Mater Dei Hospital, B Kara Bypass, Msida MSD 2090, Malta
J Infect Public Health 2:189-97. 2009..short structured interviews in out-patients clinics or primary health centres in Cyprus, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Tunisia and Turkey. A total of 2109 interviews were undertaken of which 1705 completed the full questionnaire...
- Tick repellent properties of three Libyan plantsS S Garboui
Medical Entomology Unit, Department of Systematic Biology, Evolutionary Biology Centre, Uppsala University, Norbyvagen 18D, SE 752 36 Uppsala, Sweden
J Med Entomol 46:1415-9. 2009..Cupressaceae) were collected at The Green Mountain in northeastern Libya. The tick-repellent effects of the essential oils from the plants were evaluated using host-seeking nymphs of ..
- Genetic classification of Echinococcus granulosus cysts from humans, cattle and camels in Libya using mutation scanning-based analysis of mitochondrial lociMahmud H Abushhewa
Department of Veterinary Science, The University of Melbourne, 250 Princes Highway, Werribee, Victoria 3030, Australia
Mol Cell Probes 24:346-51. 2010We genetically classified Echinococcus granulosus from humans, cattle and camels in Libya utilizing DNA regions (designated pcox1 and pnad1) within the cytochrome c oxidase subunit 1 (cox1) and NADH dehydrogenase 1 (nad1) mitochondrial ..
- A systematic review of the epidemiology of epilepsy in Arab countriesHani T S Benamer
Neurology Department, New Cross Hospital, Wolverhampton, UK
Epilepsia 50:2301-4. 2009..were identified: one incidence report from Qatar and five prevalence reports (two from Sudan, and one from each of Libya, Tunisia, and Saudi Arabia)...
- Stroke in Arab countries: a systematic literature reviewHani T S Benamer
Neurology Department, New Cross Hospital, Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
J Neurol Sci 284:18-23. 2009..Studies were available for Saudi Arabia (n=16), Qatar (n=4), Libya (n=3), Kuwait (n=2), Jordan (n=1), United Arab Emirates (n=1), Bahrain (n=1), Tunisia (n=1), Iraq (n=1), and Sudan ..
- Clinical features and molecular epidemiology of rotavirus and norovirus infections in Libyan childrenMohamed Abugalia
National Centre for Disease Control, Tripoli, Libya
J Med Virol 83:1849-56. 2011..was undertaken among children aged <5 years with acute gastroenteritis at Al-Jala Children's Hospital, Tripoli, Libya, from October 2007 to September 2008...
- Molecular diversity of the 5S rRNA gene and genomic relationships in the genus Avena (Poaceae: Aveneae)Yuan Ying Peng
Triticeae Research Institute, Sichuan Agricultural University, Yaan 625014, Sichuan, People s Republic of China
Genome 51:137-54. 2008..longiglumis (CIav9087 and CIav9089) collected in Algeria and Libya, respectively, whereas only 1 clone of A. clauda (CN21378) had the short D1 unit...
- Chloroplast DNA microsatellite analysis supports a polyphyletic origin for barleyJ L Molina-Cano
Centre UdL IRTA, Av Rovira Roure 177, 25189, Lleida, Spain
Theor Appl Genet 110:613-9. 2005..spontaneum (HS accessions) from Morocco, Ethiopia, Cyprus, Crete, Libya, Iraq, Iran, Turkey, Afghanistan and Israel, 122 H. vulgare ssp...
- Immunoblot evaluation of IgG and IgG-subclass antibody responses for immunodiagnosis of human alveolar echinococcosisH Wen
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Salford
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 89:485-95. 1995..None of the CE cases from Uruguay or Libya, where human AE has not been reported, was seropositive for the 17.5-kDa antigen. Antibodies from three (7...
- Arsenic induces oxidative stress, sphingolipidosis, depletes proteins and some antioxidants in various regions of rat brainS S Haider
Department of Biochemistry, Nepalgunj Medical College, Nepalgunj, Nepal
Kathmandu Univ Med J (KUMJ) 6:60-9. 2008..To seek an interrelationship, if any, between oxidant stress and neurochemical changes in various rat brain regions after arsenic exposure...
- Women in Arab countries: challenging the patriarchal system?Philippe Fargues
Euro Mediterranean Consortium for Applied Research on International Migration, Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies, European University Institute, Florence, Italy
Reprod Health Matters 13:43-8. 2005..g. 28 in urban Morocco and 29 in Libya, and entry into the labour force of young, single women...
- Reasons for extraction in a group of Libyan patientsSujata M Byahatti
Department of Oral Medicine, Diagnosis and Radiology, Faculty of Dentistry, Garyounis University, and Benghazi, Libya
Int Dent J 61:199-203. 2011To investigate the pattern and causes of tooth loss in patients among eastern part of Libya.
- Late middle Eocene epoch of Libya yields earliest known radiation of African anthropoidsJean Jacques Jaeger
Institut International de Paléoprimatologie et Paléontologie humaine, Évolution et Paléoenvironnements, CNRS UMR 6046, Universite de Poitiers, 40 Avenue du Recteur Pineau, 86022 Poitiers, France
Nature 467:1095-8. 2010..known diverse assemblage of African anthropoids from the late middle Eocene Dur At-Talah escarpment in central Libya. The primate assemblage from Dur At-Talah includes diminutive species pertaining to three higher-level anthropoid ..
- The reliance on unclaimed cadavers for anatomical teaching by medical schools in AfricaHope Gangata
Anatomy Section, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of East Anglia, Norwich, United Kingdom
Anat Sci Educ 3:174-83. 2010..and Zimbabwe, the donations are mostly from the white community, and medical school in the Islamic country of Libya is importing cadavers from India...
- Emergence and characterization of serotype G9 rotavirus strains from AfricaNicola Page
National Institute for Communicable Diseases, Sandringham, South Africa
J Infect Dis 202:S55-63. 2010..African countries, including South Africa, Botswana, Malawi, Kenya, Cameroon, Nigeria, Ghana, Guinea-Bissau, Libya, and Mauritius...
- Comparison of two multiple-locus variable-number tandem-repeat analysis methods for molecular strain typing of human Brucella melitensis isolates from the Middle EastRebekah V Tiller
US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Clin Microbiol 47:2226-31. 2009..101 Brucella melitensis isolates from sporadic human cases of brucellosis in Egypt (n = 83), Qatar (n = 17), and Libya (n = 1)...
- Successful and currently ongoing parasite eradication programsDwight D Bowman
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14850, USA
Vet Parasitol 139:293-307. 2006..programs are Hypoderma species in Great Britain and Europe, Cochliomyia hominivorax after its introduction into Libya from the Americas, and Echinococcus granulosus in Tasmania, Australia...
- INJURY PREVENTION TRAINING IN EGYPT AND THE MIDDLE EASTJon Mark Hirshon; Fiscal Year: 2013..Shams University, 2) to expand our training programs to Alexandria University in Egypt and Garyounis University in Libya in order to raise awareness and efforts related to injury research and injury prevention, and 3) to conduct at ..