Genomes and Genes
Summary: A republic in northwest Africa. Its capital is Cairo. It was a very ancient kingdom which, by ca. 3000 B.C., was one of the early civilizations of the ancient world. It was the center of Hellenistic culture 330-323 B.C. and part of the Roman Empire from 30 B.C. until 640 A.D.
Publications362 found, 100 shown here
- The role of parenteral antischistosomal therapy in the spread of hepatitis C virus in EgyptC Frank
University of Maryland, School of Medicine, Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Baltimore, USA
Lancet 355:887-91. 2000The population of Egypt has a heavy burden of liver disease, mostly due to chronic infection with hepatitis C virus (HCV). Overall prevalence of antibody to HCV in the general population is around 15-20%...
- The epidemiology and iatrogenic transmission of hepatitis C virus in Egypt: a Bayesian coalescent approachO G Pybus
Department of Zoology, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
Mol Biol Evol 20:381-7. 2003Hepatitis C virus (HCV) is a leading cause of liver cancer and cirrhosis, and Egypt has possibly the highest HCV prevalence worldwide...
- Circulation of endemic type 2 vaccine-derived poliovirus in Egypt from 1983 to 1993Chen Fu Yang
Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
J Virol 77:8366-77. 2003From 1988 to 1993, 30 cases of poliomyelitis associated with poliovirus type 2 were found in seven governorates of Egypt. Because many of the cases were geographically and temporally clustered and because the case isolates differed ..
- Effect of yearly mass drug administration with diethylcarbamazine and albendazole on bancroftian filariasis in Egypt: a comprehensive assessmentReda M R Ramzy
Research and Training Centre on Vectors of Diseases, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt
Lancet 367:992-9. 2006b>Egypt was one of the first countries to implement a national programme to eliminate lymphatic filariasis based on WHO's strategy of repeated rounds of mass drug administration (MDA) with diethylcarbamazine and albendazole (target ..
- The impact of acne vulgaris on the quality of life and psychologic status in patients from upper EgyptKamal Abdel-Hafez
Department of Dermatology, Assiut University, Assiut, Egypt
Int J Dermatol 48:280-5. 2009..Aim To study the overall impact of acne vulgaris on the quality of life and psychologic functioning of patients in Egypt.
- Incidence and risk factors for hepatitis C infection in a cohort of women in rural EgyptDoa a A Saleh
Department of Community Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 102:921-8. 2008..Our data suggest that asymptomatic HCV infections frequently occurred during the perinatal period but often cleared and that educating medical personnel on safe practices possibly reduced HCV transmission...
- Genetic variability of hepatitis C virus in South Egypt and its possible clinical implicationAbeer Elkady
Department of Clinical Molecular Informative Medicine, Nagoya City University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kawasumi, Mizuho, Nagoya, Japan
J Med Virol 81:1015-23. 2009b>Egypt is one of the countries with very high rates of hepatitis C virus (HCV) related morbidity and mortality. However, little is known about geographical and clinical differences in genetic variability of HCV in Egypt...
- The nutrition transition in Egypt: obesity, undernutrition and the food consumption contextOsman M Galal
School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles 90095, USA
Public Health Nutr 5:141-8. 2002To describe changing food consumption patterns in Egypt over the last several decades, current levels of overweight and obesity, and current data on obesity-related morbidity.
- Additional remains of Wadilemur elegans, a primitive stem galagid from the late Eocene of EgyptErik R Seiffert
Department of Earth Sciences, University of Oxford, and Oxford University Museum of Natural History, Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3PR, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:11396-401. 2005The late Eocene prosimian Wadilemur elegans from the Jebel Qatrani Formation, northern Egypt, was originally interpreted as an anchomomyin adapiform primate based on limited information from the lower molars and distal premolars...
- Associations of pesticides, HCV, HBV, and hepatocellular carcinoma in EgyptSameera Ezzat
National Liver Institute, Menoufiya University, Shibin El Kom, Egypt
Int J Hyg Environ Health 208:329-39. 2005The rate of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) is increasing in Egypt where the major risk factors are chronic infections with hepatitis B and C viruses (HBV and HCV)...
- Bladder cancer in Africa: updateN G el-Mawla
Department of Medical Oncology, National Cancer Institute, Cairo, Egypt
Semin Oncol 28:174-8. 2001Carcinoma of the bladder is the most prevalent cancer in Egypt and in most African countries. At the National Cancer Institute (NCI), Cairo, it constitutes 30.3% of all cancers...
- Foot-and-mouth disease virus serotype A in EgyptNick J Knowles
Institute for Animal Health, Surrey, United Kingdom
Emerg Infect Dis 13:1593-6. 2007..characterization of a foot-and-mouth disease (FMD) serotype A virus responsible for recent outbreaks of disease in Egypt. Phylogenetic analysis of VP1 nucleotide sequences demonstrated a close relationship to recent FMD virus isolates ..
- The decline of female circumcision in Egypt: evidence and interpretationOmaima el-Gibaly
Department of Public Health and Community Medicine, Assiut University, USA
Soc Sci Med 54:205-20. 2002Female circumcision is widespread in Egypt. Research suggests that the practice persists because of a belief that circumcision will moderate female sexuality, that it will assure a girl's marriagability, and that it is sanctioned by ..
- Epidemiology of dysmenorrhoea among adolescent students in Mansoura, EgyptA H el-Gilany
Department of Community Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Mansoura, Mansoura, Egypt
East Mediterr Health J 11:155-63. 2005..4% of student with dysmenorrhoea, but this was significantly more reported by students with severe dysmenorrhoea. Significant predictors of dysmenorrhoea were older age, irregular or long cycle and heavy bleeding...
- Hepatitis B and C viral infection: prevalence, knowledge, attitude and practice among barbers and clients in Gharbia governorate, EgyptS Shalaby
Department of Public Health, Social and Preventive Medicine, University of Tanta, Tanta, Egypt corrected
East Mediterr Health J 16:10-7. 2010A study in Egypt determined the prevalence of hepatitis B and C virus infections among barbers (n = 308) and their clients (n = 308) in Gharbia governorate, and assessed knowledge, attitude and practices during hair-cutting and shaving...
- Basal anthropoids from Egypt and the antiquity of Africa's higher primate radiationErik R Seiffert
Department of Earth Sciences, University of Oxford, and Oxford University Museum of Natural History, Parks Road, Oxford, OX1 3PW, UK
Science 310:300-4. 2005..describe craniodental remains of the primitive anthropoid Biretia from approximately 37-million-year-old rocks in Egypt. Biretia is unique among early anthropoids in exhibiting evidence for nocturnality, but derived dental features ..
- Pattern of ocular trauma in EgyptMahmoud M Soliman
Department of Ophthalmology, Kasr El Aini Hospital, Cairo University, El Manial, Cairo, Egypt
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 246:205-12. 2008..To review the epidemiology of serious ocular trauma presenting to Kasr El Aini Hospital, Cairo University...
- Predominance and circulation of enteric viruses in the region of Greater Cairo, EgyptAziza H Kamel
Laboratory of Virology, National Reference Center for Enteric Viruses, Public Hospital of Dijon, Dijon, France
J Clin Microbiol 47:1037-45. 2009The circulation of enteric viruses among the population of Cairo, Egypt, between March 2006 and February 2007 was studied. At least one virus was detected in 50% of fecal samples, 57...
- Consanguinity and advanced maternal age as risk factors for reproductive losses in Alexandria, EgyptM M Mokhtar
Department of Huiman Genetics, Medical Research Institute, Alexandria University, Egypt
Eur J Epidemiol 17:559-65. 2001..Estimates of consanguinity ratios in different parts of Egypt ranged from 29 to 50%...
- Molecular characterization of Panton-Valentine leukocidin-positive community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus isolates in EgyptShymaa Enany
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Suez Canal University, Ismailia, Egypt
Microbiol Res 165:152-62. 2010..expressing Panton-Valentine leukocidin (PVL) have been characterized worldwide, but it has not been done in Egypt. In this study, we analyzed the molecular characteristics of PVL+CA-MRSA in Egypt, compared their genetic patterns ..
- Role of hepatitis C infection in chronic liver disease in EgyptG Thomas Strickland
Hepatitis C Prevention Project Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 67:436-42. 2002Hepatitis C virus (HCV) is considered the most common etiology of chronic liver disease (CLD) in Egypt, where prevalence of antibodies to HCV (anti-HCV) is approximately 10-fold greater than in the United States and Europe...
- Unexpectedly high proportion of ancestral Manu genotype Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains cultured from tuberculosis patients in EgyptZeinab H Helal
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Al Azhar University, Cairo, Egypt
J Clin Microbiol 47:2794-801. 2009Tuberculosis is one of the important public health problems in Egypt. However, limited information on the Mycobacterium tuberculosis genotypes circulating in Egypt is available. A total of 151 M...
- Prevalence of hepatitis B and C in Egypt and AfricaM A Attia
Virology and Immunology Unit, Cairo University, Egypt
Antivir Ther 3:1-9. 1998Hepatitis B and C are, and will remain for some time, major health problems in Egypt and the entire continent of Africa...
- Genetic diversity in hepatitis C virus in Egypt and possible association with hepatocellular carcinomaMohamed Abdel-Hamid
Viral Hepatitis Research Laboratory, National Hepatology and Tropical Medicine Research Institute, Cairo, Egypt
J Gen Virol 88:1526-31. 2007b>Egypt has one of the world's highest prevalences of hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection, with a majority of genotype 4 infections...
- Targeted health insurance in a low income country and its impact on access and equity in access: Egypt's school health insuranceW Yip
Harvard School of Public Health, Program in Health Care Financing, University Place, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Health Econ 10:207-20. 2001..In Egypt, the School Health Insurance Programme (SHIP) is a government subsidized health insurance system that targets ..
- Possible avian influenza (H5N1) from migratory bird, EgyptMagdi D Saad
Emerg Infect Dis 13:1120-1. 2007
- Hepatitis c in a community in Upper Egypt: risk factors for infectionAhmed Medhat
Hepatitis C Prevention Project, Assiut University Faculty of Medicine, Egypt
Am J Trop Med Hyg 66:633-8. 2002This investigation's objective was to identify risk factors for hepatitis C virus (HCV) in a village in Upper Egypt with a moderately high prevalence (8.7%) of antibodies to HCV (anti-HCV)...
- Real-time PCR/RFLP assay to detect Giardia intestinalis genotypes in human isolates with diarrhea in EgyptMoshira M F Helmy
Department of Parasitology, College of Medicine, Misr University for Science and Technology, Al Motamayez District 6th of October Governorate, Egypt
J Parasitol 95:1000-4. 2009..intestinalis in human feces in Egypt. Among 97 fecal samples, 30 (31%) were diagnosed as giardiasis by saline wet mount microscopy after staining with ..
- Women's empowerment and the intention to continue the practice of female genital cutting in EgyptMustafa Afifi
Department of Primary Health Care, MOH HQ, P O Box 1853, Dubai, UAE
Arch Iran Med 12:154-60. 2009..The study aimed to (dis)prove the association of the level of women's empowerment with their future intention to perpetuate female genital cutting for their daughters...
- Diagnosis of human brucellosis in Egypt by polymerase chain reactionA A El Kholy
Department of Clinical and Chemical Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Cairo, Cairo, Egypt
East Mediterr Health J 15:1068-74. 2009..accurate and sensitive polymerase chain reaction (PCR) technique for the diagnosis of active human brucellosis in Egypt. We failed to extract Brucella DNA with a commercial kit, but an extraction kit designed in-house using 2 sets of ..
- Infant feeding and weaning practices in Roman EgyptT L Dupras
Department of Sociology and Anthropology, University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL 32816 1360, USA
Am J Phys Anthropol 115:204-12. 2001Current knowledge of infant feeding and weaning practices during the Roman period in Egypt is limited to scanty documentary and iconographic evidence...
- Prolonged detection of indigenous wild polioviruses in sewage from communities in EgyptLaila El Bassioni
Egyptian Organization for Biological Products and Vaccine Production, Cairo, Egypt
Am J Epidemiol 158:807-15. 2003Environmental surveillance for polioviruses has been implemented in Egypt. This paper reports on a study in which 130 sewage samples were collected between January 2001 and December 2001 from eight provinces of Egypt...
- Menstrual hygiene among adolescent schoolgirls in Mansoura, EgyptAbdel Hady El-Gilany
Community Medicine Department, Faculty of Medicine, University of Mansoura, Mansoura, Egypt
Reprod Health Matters 13:147-52. 2005..This study among 664 schoolgirls aged 14-18 in Mansoura, Egypt, asked about type of sanitary protection used, frequency of changing pads or cloths, means of disposal and bathing ..
- First report of Leishmania tropica from a classical focus of L. major in North-Sinai, EgyptMagdi G Shehata
Entomology Department, Faculty of Science, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt
Am J Trop Med Hyg 81:213-8. 2009..This scenario is consistent with an incursion of L. tropica from bordering countries and raises concerns about expansion of this parasite further into Egypt.
- Spermiogenesis in two paramphistomes from Nile fish in Egypt: an ultrastructural studyA A Ashour
Faculty of Science, Ain Shams University, Abbassia, 11566 Cairo, Egypt
J Helminthol 81:219-26. 2007..in two paramphistomes, Sandonia sudanensis and Basidiodiscus ectorchis from the Nile fish Synodontis schall in Egypt was studied by transmission electron microscopy...
- Family planning services quality as a determinant of use of IUD in EgyptRathavuth Hong
Demographic and Health Research Division, ORC Macro, 11785 Beltsville Drive, Calverton, MD 20705, USA
BMC Health Serv Res 6:79. 2006..This study examined the relationship between quality of family planning services and use of intrauterine devices (IUD) in Egypt.
- Urinary biomarkers of aflatoxin exposure in young children from Egypt and GuineaNektaria Polychronaki
Department of Clinical Nutrition, University of Kuopio, Finland
Food Chem Toxicol 46:519-26. 2008..3 pg/ml; 95% CI: 10.1, 26.6 pg/ml) was 6-fold higher (p<0.001) than in Egypt (2.7 pg/ml; 95% CI: 2.5, 2.8 pg/ml)...
- A review on fascioliasis in EgyptAhmad N Haseeb
Department of Tropical Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 32:317-54. 2002..In Egypt, donkeys and camels as well, are hosts for F. gigantica. Fascioliasis may occasionally affect man...
- Acanthamoeba isolates belonging to T1, T2, T3, T4 and T7 genotypes from environmental freshwater samples in the Nile Delta region, EgyptJacob Lorenzo-Morales
Instituto Universitario de Enfermedades Tropicales y Salud Pública de Canarias, University of La Laguna, Av Astrofísico Fco Sánchez s n, 38203 La Laguna, Canary Islands, Spain
Acta Trop 100:63-9. 2006..amoebae of Acanthamoeba genus in freshwater sources associated with human activities in the Nile Delta region, Egypt. Identification of Acanthamoeba was based on the morphology of cyst and trophozoite forms and PCR amplification ..
- Nutritional stunting in Egypt: which nutrient is responsible?S A Ibrahim
Department of Research and Field Study, Nutrition Institute, Cairo, Egypt
East Mediterr Health J 8:272-80. 2002..Serum zinc levels were also lower in the stunted group but not significantly so. We conclude that several nutrient deficiencies occur simultaneously in stunted children and all of them may be responsible for stunting...
- Screening for beta-thalassaemia carriers in Egypt: significance of the osmotic fragility testA el-Beshlawy
Department of Paediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt
East Mediterr Health J 13:780-6. 2007..screening test, we tested 1000 randomly selected children aged 5-16 years from different geographical areas of Egypt. Microcytosis was present in 412 participants. The osmotic fragility test was positive in 81...
- Zoonotic cutaneous leishmaniasis: reservoir host and insect vector in north Sinai, EgyptHassan A Hamadto
Department of Parasitoloy, Faculties of Medicine, Benha University, Cairo
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 37:843-50. 2007Cutaneous leishmaniasis (ZCL) is a protozoan disease well documented not only in Egypt, but in nearly all the East Mediterranean Countries...
- T-lymphocyte subsets and thymic size in malnourished infants in Egypt: a hospital-based studyM F Nassar
Department of Paediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt
East Mediterr Health J 13:1031-42. 2007..We recommend proper assessment of the immune functions of PEM patients during nutritional rehabilitation until full recovery...
- Pilot survey of aflatoxin-albumin adducts in sera from EgyptPaul C Turner
University of Leeds, Molecular Epidemiology Unit, Leeds, UK
Food Addit Contam Part A Chem Anal Control Expo Risk Assess 25:583-7. 2008..Aflatoxin exposure has been predicted in Egypt but, to date, no studies have measured the level of aflatoxin-albumin (AF-alb) adducts as a validated biomarker to ..
- Overview of injection practices in two governorates in EgyptMaha Talaat
US Naval Medical Research Unit, Cairo, Egypt
Trop Med Int Health 8:234-41. 2003To describe the extent and characteristics of injection use and injection providers in Egypt, given that unsafe injections are associated with blood-borne pathogen transmission.
- Indices and sociodemographic determinants of childhood mortality in rural Upper EgyptK M Yassin
Department 2 Public Health Medicine, School of Public Health, University of Bielefeld, Germany
Soc Sci Med 51:185-97. 2000There is a general agreement that childhood mortality in Egypt has substantially declined during the last two decades...
- Isolation and molecular characterization of Toxoplasma gondii from chickens and ducks from EgyptJ P Dubey
Animal Parasitic Diseases Laboratory, United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Animal and Natural Resources Institute, BARC East, Beltsville, MD 20705 2350, USA
Vet Parasitol 114:89-95. 2003..gondii in 121 free range chickens (Gallus domesticus) and 19 ducks (Anas sp.) from a rural area surrounding Giza, Egypt was assessed. Blood, heart, and brain from each animal were examined for T. gondii infection. Antibodies to T...
- Changing patterns of acute viral hepatitis at a major urban referral center in EgyptSoheir Zakaria
Department of Tropical Medicine, Cairo University, Al Azhar University, Cairo, Egypt
Clin Infect Dis 44:e30-6. 2007..We hypothesized that improvements in health care and sanitation in the past 2 decades in Egypt have significantly impacted the viral causes of acute viral hepatitis in hospitalized patients...
- Epidemiology of diarrhoeal diseases among children under age 5 years in Dakahlia, EgyptA H el-Gilany
Community Medicine Department, Faculty of Medicine, Mansoura University, Egypt
East Mediterr Health J 11:762-75. 2005..Overcrowding, improper refuse disposal and non-flush toilets were also significantly correlated with diarrhoea incidence...
- Factors associated with wife beating in Egypt: analysis of two surveys (1995 and 2005)Manas K Akmatov
Department of Public Health Medicine, School of Public Health, University of Bielefeld, Bielefeld, Germany
BMC Womens Health 8:15. 2008Wife beating is an important public health problem in many developing countries. We assessed the rates of wife beating and examined factors associated with wife beating in 1995 and 2005 in Egypt.
- Pathogenicity and convalescent excretion of Campylobacter in rural Egyptian childrenM R Rao
Epidemiology Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Am J Epidemiol 154:166-73. 2001..This observation that natural infection did not confer protection during the first 6 months of life poses a challenge to vaccine development...
- Bile duct carcinoma in Egypt: possible etiological factorsA El-Zayadi
Ain Shams, Faculty of Medicine, Cairo, Egypt
Hepatogastroenterology 38:337-40. 1991Contrary to an old belief, bile duct carcinoma is not a rare disorder in Egypt. Among 730 patients referred for an ERCP examination, twenty-nine consecutive patients were diagnosed as having bile duct carcinoma...
- Transfer of Natrialba asiatica B1T to Natrialba taiwanensis sp. nov. and description of Natrialba aegyptiaca sp. nov., a novel extremely halophilic, aerobic, non-pigmented member of the Archaea from Egypt that produces extracellular poly(glutamic acid)F F Hezayen
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 51:1133-42. 2001A novel extremely halophilic member of the Archaea, strain 40T, was isolated from Egypt (Aswan). This isolate requires at least 1.6 M sodium chloride for growth and exhibits optimal growth between 37 and 42 degrees C...
- Risk assessment of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in a Mediterranean semi-enclosed basin affected by human activities (Abu Qir Bay, Egypt)Mohammed A Khairy
Institute of Ecological Chemistry and Waste Analysis, Technical University of Braunschweig, Hagenring 30, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
J Hazard Mater 170:389-97. 2009..Also adverse health effects are not expected to occur from the consumption of the investigated mussels with respect to PAHs in Abu Qir Bay...
- Viral and non-viral risk factors for non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in Egypt: heterogeneity by histological and immunological subtypesLenka Goldman
Lombardi Cancer Center, Georgetown University, 3800 Reservoir Rd, PO Box 571465, Washington, DC 20057 1465, USA
Cancer Causes Control 20:981-7. 2009Non-Hodgkin's lymphomas (NHL) are etiologically heterogeneous malignancies. In Egypt, we previously reported an association of increased NHL risk with chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection...
- National maternal mortality ratio in Egypt halved between 1992-93 and 2000Oona Campbell
Maternal and Child Health Care, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, England
Bull World Health Organ 83:462-71. 2005Two surveys of maternal mortality conducted in Egypt, in 1992-93 and in 2000, collected data from a representative sample of health bureaus covering all of Egypt, except for five frontier governorates which were covered only by the later ..
- Seroprevalence of and risk factors for Toxoplasma gondii antibodies among asymptomatic blood donors in EgyptHany M Elsheikha
Division of Veterinary Medicine, The School of Veterinary Medicine and Science, The University of Nottingham, Sutton Bonington Campus, Leicestershire, UK
Parasitol Res 104:1471-6. 2009..factors for Toxoplasma gondii antibodies in 260 blood donors seen at blood banks in Mansoura University Hospital, Egypt. Blood donors were interviewed about sociodemographic characteristics and risk factors for T. gondii infection...
- Urban-rural differences in breast cancer incidence by hormone receptor status across 6 years in EgyptSubhojit Dey
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, 109 Observatory Street, Ann Arbor, MI, 48109, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 120:149-60. 2010..incidence classified by hormone receptor status using data from Gharbiah population-based cancer registry in Egypt from 2001 to 2006. Urban ER+ incidence rate (per 100,000 women) was 2-4 times (IRR = 3.36, 95% CI = 4.84, 2...
- Expected increase in hepatitis C-related mortality in Egypt due to pre-2000 infectionsSylvie Deuffic-Burban
CRESGE LABORES, CNRS URA 362, 1 rue Norbert Ségard, BP 109, 59016 Lille, France
J Hepatol 44:455-61. 2006b>Egypt has the highest prevalence of Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) in the world, apparently due to mass parenteral antischistosomal therapy...
- Injection drug use is a risk factor for HCV infection in urban EgyptAdela Paez Jimenez
Emerging Disease Epidemiology Unit, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
PLoS ONE 4:e7193. 2009..To identify current risk factors for hepatitis C virus (HCV) transmission in Greater Cairo...
- Hepatocellular carcinoma in Egypt: a single center study over a decadeAbdel Rahman El-Zayadi
Department of Tropical Medicine, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt
World J Gastroenterol 11:5193-8. 2005To identify the trend, possible risk factors and any pattern change of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) in Egypt over a decade.
- Molecular screening and risk factors of enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli and Salmonella spp. in diarrheic neonatal calves in EgyptEmad E Younis
Department of Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Mansoura University, Mansoura 35516, Egypt
Res Vet Sci 87:373-9. 2009..samples were obtained from 220 diarrheic calves at 9 farms related to four governorates in central and northern Egypt. E. coli and Salmonella spp. isolates were examined for E. coli K99 and Salmonella spp. using PCR...
- Clinical profile of acute paraphenylenediamine intoxication in EgyptSawsan A Shalaby
Forensic Medicine and Clinical Toxicology Department Faculty of Medicine Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt
Toxicol Ind Health 26:81-7. 2010Orientation to paraphenylenediamine (PPD) acute systemic intoxication in Egypt has been increased over the last decade...
- Symptomatic acute hepatitis C in Egypt: diagnosis, spontaneous viral clearance, and delayed treatment with 12 weeks of pegylated interferon alfa-2aNoha Sharaf Eldin
Department of Community Medicine, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt
PLoS ONE 3:e4085. 2008....
- Bloodborne infections among student voluntary blood donors in Mansoura University, EgyptA H el-Gilany
Department of Community Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Mansoura, Mansoura, Egypt
East Mediterr Health J 12:742-8. 2006We carried out a retrospective study on student voluntary blood donors in Mansoura University, Egypt. Serum samples were tested for HBsAg, anti-HCV, anti-HIV-1 and anti-HIV-2 as well as syphilis...
- Cytogenetic profile of Down syndrome in Alexandria, EgyptM M Mokhtar
Department of Human Genetics, Medical Research Institute, University of Alexandria, Alexandria, Egypt
East Mediterr Health J 9:37-44. 2003..2 years) but not in translocation (25.3 years). There was an excess of males in all groups except the mosaic group where the male:female ratio was 0.67. Cytogenetic investigations assist in patient management and family counselling...
- A giant sauropod dinosaur from an Upper Cretaceous mangrove deposit in EgyptJ B Smith
Department of Earth and Environmental Science, University of Pennsylvania, 240 South 33rd Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6316, USA
Science 292:1704-6. 2001..giant titanosaurid sauropod dinosaur discovered in coastal deposits in the Upper Cretaceous Bahariya Formation of Egypt, a unit that has produced three Tyrannosaurus-sized theropods and numerous other vertebrate taxa...
- Reference intervals of cadmium, lead, and mercury in blood, urine, hair, and nails among residents in Mansoura city, Nile delta, EgyptWael I Mortada
Urology and Nephrology Center, Mansoura University, Mansoura, Egypt
Environ Res 90:104-10. 2002A random sample of 68 males and 25 females who reside in Mansoura city, Egypt, was examined for concentrations of cadmium, lead, and mercury in blood, urine, hair, and nails. The effect of gender and smoking on such levels was studied...
- Menopause in Egypt: past and present perspectivesH Sallam
The Suzanne Mubarak Regional Center for Women s Health and Development, Egypt
Climacteric 9:421-9. 2006The mean age of the menopause in Egypt is 46.7 years, which is low compared to many countries, but this age has been rising recently...
- The interrelationship of malnutrition and diarrhea in a periurban area outside Alexandria, EgyptT F Wierzba
Enteric Diseases Research Program, United States Naval Medical Research Unit 3, Cairo, Egypt
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 32:189-96. 2001..Diarrhea alone does not appear to contribute substantially to malnutrition when children have diarrhea-free time for catch-up growth...
- Evaluation of accreditation program in non-governmental organizations' health units in Egypt: short-term outcomesMahi Al Tehewy
Community Medicine, Healthcare Quality Unit, Ain Shams Faculty of Medicine, Abassia, 86 Asmaa Fahmy Street, Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt
Int J Qual Health Care 21:183-9. 2009..To determine the effect of accreditation of non-governmental organizations' health units on patient satisfaction and provider satisfaction and the output of accreditation on compliance to some accreditation standards...
- Hyperendemic fascioliasis associated with schistosomiasis in villages in the Nile Delta of EgyptJose Guillermo Esteban
Departamento de Parasitologia, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad de Valencia, Valencia, Spain
Am J Trop Med Hyg 69:429-37. 2003Coprologic surveys were carried out in villages of the Behera Governorate in the Nile Delta region of Egypt to characterize the epidemiologic features of human fascioliasis caused by Fasciola hepatica and F...
- The burden of trachoma in the rural Nile Delta of Egypt: a survey of Menofiya governorateG Ezz al Arab
Al Noor Foundation, Cairo, Egypt
Br J Ophthalmol 85:1406-10. 2001BACKGROUND: Evidence of widespread distribution of trachoma in Egypt had not been clarified as previous surveys were limited to individual communities which may not have been representative of the general population...
- The potential role of rattus rattus in enzootic cycle of Rift Valley Fever in Egypt 2-application of reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) in blood samples of Rattus rattusBahgat Z Youssef
Microbiological Department, Animal Health Research Institute, Dokki, Alexandria Branch
J Egypt Public Health Assoc 77:133-41. 2002..rattus) collected from 3 different governorates of Egypt, Alexandria, Behira and Minia governorates (one hundred each). Out of 300 blood samples 29(9...
- Sequence diversity of the haemagglutinin open reading frame of recent highly pathogenic avian influenza H5N1 isolates from EgyptAhmed S Abdel-Moneim
Virology Department, Beni Suef University, Beni Suef, 62511, Egypt
Arch Virol 154:1559-62. 2009..H5N1 isolates obtained in 2006 and 2007 from different avian species in backyard holdings and poultry farms in Egypt revealed amino acid variations across the polypeptide and also in the polybasic cleavage motif of three of the ..
- Evolution of infection control in Egypt: achievements and challengesMaha Talaat
Naval Medical Research Unit No 3, Infection Control Unit, Disease Surveillance Program, Cairo, Egypt
Am J Infect Control 34:193-200. 2006The high prevalence of hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection in Egypt highlighted the urgent need for implementing infection control (IC) programs in Egypt.
- The changing patterns of bladder cancer in Egypt over the past 26 yearsAshley S Felix
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, 109 S Observatory, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Cancer Causes Control 19:421-9. 2008..To evaluate temporal changes in histopathological types of bladder cancer and to assess associated changes in demographic, epidemiologic, and lifestyle risk factors...
- Metabolic and cardiovascular risk profiles and hepatitis C virus infection in rural EgyptD Marzouk
Department of Community, Environmental and Occupational Medicine, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt
Gut 56:1105-10. 2007To investigate the relationship between lipid profiles and diabetes with past and chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection among village residents of Egypt.
- Phenotypic profiles of enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli associated with early childhood diarrhea in rural EgyptHind I Shaheen
U S Naval Medical Research Unit Number 3, Cairo, Egypt
J Clin Microbiol 42:5588-95. 2004..These data suggest that a proportion of the disease that is endemic to young children in rural Egypt represents the confluence of small epidemics by clonally related ETEC strains that are transiently introduced or ..
- Serum cadmium levels in pancreatic cancer patients from the East Nile Delta region of EgyptAlison M Kriegel
Department of Biochemistry, Tulane University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Environ Health Perspect 114:113-9. 2006..It is well documented that this region has one of the highest levels of pollution in Egypt. Epidemiologic studies have suggested that cadmium, a prevalent pollutant in the northeast Nile Delta region, ..
- Prevalence of anti-Rift-Valley-fever IgM antibody in abattoir workers in the Nile delta during the 1993 outbreak in EgyptR Abu Elyazeed
Risk Assessment Branch, U S Naval Medical Research Unit No 3, Cairo, Egypt
Bull World Health Organ 74:155-8. 1996..an outbreak of Rift Valley fever (RVF) was reported among both humans and animals in Aswan Governorate, Upper Egypt. To determine whether RVF infection had spread to the Nile delta region of the country, we carried out a cross-..
- Schistosomiasis and the risk of bladder cancer in Alexandria, EgyptR Bedwani
Medical Research Institute, Alexandria, Egypt
Br J Cancer 77:1186-9. 1998..was investigated using data from a case-control study conducted between January 1994 and July 1996 in Alexandria, Egypt. Cases were 190 subjects with incident, histologically confirmed invasive cancer of the bladder, and controls were ..
- Changing pattern of hepatitis C virus spread in rural areas of EgyptNaglaa Arafa
Department of Community, Environmental and Occupational Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt
J Hepatol 43:418-24. 2005To identify patterns of HCV spread in the Nile Delta of Egypt.
- Intrafamilial transmission of hepatitis C in EgyptMostafa K Mohamed
National Hepatology and Tropical Medicine Research Institute, Cairo, Egypt
Hepatology 42:683-7. 2005..8/1,000 PY) in the Nile Delta village (AES), where prevalence was 24% and 5 (0.8/1,000 PY) in the Upper Egypt village (baseline prevalence of 9%)...
- Changing pattern of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) and its risk factors in Egypt: possibilities for preventionWagida A Anwar
Ain Shams University, Egypt
Mutat Res 659:176-84. 2008The burden of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) has been increasing in Egypt with a doubling in the incidence rate in the past 10 years. This has been attributed to several biological (e.g...
- Differences in disability among older women and men in Egypt and TunisiaKathryn M Yount
Department of International Health, Emory University, 1518 Clifton Road NE, Room 724, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Demography 42:169-87. 2005..In this article, we examine differences between women and men in later-life activity limitation in Egypt and Tunisia...
- Oedematous skin disease of buffalo in EgyptS A Selim
Center for Biotechnology Services and Researches, Veterinary Faculty, Cairo University, Giza, Egypt
J Vet Med B Infect Dis Vet Public Health 48:241-58. 2001This review covers a historical view and etiology of oedematous skin disease which affects buffalo in Egypt, the microbiology of Corynebacterium pseudotuberculosis causing the disease: its virulence; clinical signs; mechanism of ..
- Seroprevalences and local variation of human and livestock brucellosis in two villages in Gharbia Governorate, EgyptAzza El Sherbini
Research Unit, Tanta Fever Hospital, Taha El Hakim St, Tanta 3111, Egypt
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 101:923-8. 2007..at assessing the epidemiology of brucellosis among both human and livestock populations in an endemic area in Egypt. A cross-sectional survey was conducted in two villages, where 616 inhabitants (aged 3-75 years) and 350 livestock ..
- Novel and unexpected prokaryotic diversity in water and sediments of the alkaline, hypersaline lakes of the Wadi An Natrun, EgyptNoha M Mesbah
Department of Microbiology, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602 2605, USA
Microb Ecol 54:598-617. 2007..This indicates that the water and sediments of the Wadi An Natrun harbor a unique and novel prokaryotic diversity that is different from what has been described among other alkaline, athalassohaline lakes...
- ELISA-seroprevalence of Toxoplasma gondii in draught horses in Greater Cairo, EgyptFouad M Haridy
Department of Zoology, Faculty of Science, Suez Canal University, Cairo, Egypt
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 39:821-6. 2009..The result showed that the overall ELISA-T. gondii antibodies were 25% of the horses in Greater Cairo, 50% (females) and 22.2% (males)...
- Impact of breast-feeding on Giardia lamblia infections in Bilbeis, EgyptM A Mahmud
University of Texas School of Public Health, Houston, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 65:257-60. 2001A total of 152 infants were followed from birth to 1 year of age in a rural community of Egypt to document Giardia lamblia infection and to determine the effect of breast-feeding on enteric infections by this protozoan...
- Molecular analysis of skeletal tuberculosis in an ancient Egyptian populationA Zink
Department of Pathology, , , Germany
J Med Microbiol 50:355-66. 2001..study was performed on 37 skeletal tissue specimens from cadavers in the necropolis of Thebes-West, Upper Egypt, (2120-500 BC) and four from the necropolis of Abydos (3000 BC)...
- Identification of genotypes of Giardia intestinalis of human isolates in EgyptP Foronda
Instituto Universitario de Enfermedades Tropicales y Salud Pública de Canarias, University of La Laguna, Avda Astrofísico Fco Sánchez, s n 8203, Tenerife, Canary Islands, Spain
Parasitol Res 103:1177-81. 2008In Egypt, the genotyping study of Giardia intestinalis in human is limited. To determine the prevalence of G. intestinalis, faecal samples were collected from Egypt. Samples were concentrated using density gradient centrifugation...
- Subtype analysis of Blastocystis isolates from symptomatic patients in EgyptLaetitia Souppart
INSERM U547, Institut Pasteur de Lille, Universite Lille Nord de France, 1 rue du Professeur Calmette, BP 245, 59019 Lille Cedex, France
Parasitol Res 106:505-11. 2010..90%) followed by ST1 (19.05%) and ST2 (19.05%). Together with previous studies carried out in different areas in Egypt, a total of five STs (ST1, ST2, ST3, ST4, and ST6) have been found in symptomatic patients...
- First phenotypic description of Fasciola hepatica/Fasciola gigantica intermediate forms from the human endemic area of the Nile Delta, EgyptM V Periago
Departamento de Parasitologia, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad de Valencia, Avenue Vicent Andres Estelles s n, 46100 Burjassot Valencia, Spain
Infect Genet Evol 8:51-8. 2008..hepatica and F. gigantica overlap in some countries. Egypt deserves mentioning because of the emerging situation of human fascioliasis in the Nile Delta area...
- Influence of parental and socioeconomic factors on stunting in children under 5 years in EgyptL K Zottarelli
Texas Woman s University, Texas, USA
East Mediterr Health J 13:1330-42. 2007..between parental and socioeconomic characteristics and nutritional status of children under 5 years in Egypt. Data from the 2000 Egypt Demographic and Health Survey were used...
- Focus on psychiatry in EgyptA Okasha
Br J Psychiatry 185:266-72. 2004
- Barrett's esophagus: prevalence and risk factors in patients with chronic GERD in Upper EgyptYasser M Fouad
Department of Tropical Medicine and Gastroenterology, Minya University, Minya 19104, Egypt
World J Gastroenterol 15:3511-5. 2009To determine the prevalence and possible risk factors of Barrett's esophagus (BE) in patients with chronic gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) in El Minya and Assuit, Upper Egypt.
- An outbreak of enzootic bovine leukosis in upper Egypt: clinical, laboratory and molecular-epidemiological studiesA Zaghawa
Department of Animal Medicine and Infections and Fish Disease, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Menoufia University, Sadat City, Egypt
J Vet Med B Infect Dis Vet Public Health 49:123-9. 2002..and eight bulls) were imported from Minnesota, USA, to form a closed dairy herd in Arab El-Aoumar, Assiut, Upper Egypt. In November 1996, some abnormal signs such as loss of weight, decreased milk yield, external lymphadenopathy and ..
- Urinary iodine and other iodine deficiency indicators in a sample of school-age children in EgyptF A El-Mougi
Department of Clinical and Chemical Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt
East Mediterr Health J 10:863-70. 2004Sufficient data relating urinary iodine excretion in children to other iodine deficiency indicators are lacking in Egypt. We assayed urinary iodine concentration and serum levels of thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), thyroglobulin, free ..
- Molecular epidemiology of hepatitis C virus genotype 4 isolates in Egypt and analysis of the variability of envelope proteins E1 and E2 in patients with chronic hepatitisD Genovese
Viral Hepatitis Unit, Department of Infectious, Parasitic and Immune Mediated Disease, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Viale Regina Elena 299, 00161 Rome, Italy
J Clin Microbiol 43:1902-9. 2005We analyzed hepatitis C virus (HCV) genotype 4 isolates circulating in the Alexandria District (Egypt) in terms of genetic divergence and the presence of different subtypes...
- GENETICS OF SEVERE HEPATIC FIBROSIS IN SCHISTOSOMIASISRONALD BLANTON; Fiscal Year: 2001..In population-based studies in Egypt (high prevalence of fibrosis) and Kenya (low prevalence of fibrosis), all affected individual will be identified ..
- International Conf on Alzheimer Disease and Related Disorders in the Middle EastChangiz Geula; Fiscal Year: 2013..Attendees will be from the majority of Middle Eastern countries including Bahrain, Egypt, Iran, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestinian Authority, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey, United Arab ..
- Risk factors for encephalopathy in newborns with severe hyperbilirubinemiaRICHARD PARTRIDGE WENNBERG; Fiscal Year: 2010..Five collaborating university NICUs in Egypt, led by Cairo University, will provide clinical and basic laboratory data...
- Telomere dysfunction, chromosome 9 instability and bladder cancer riskYun Ling Zheng; Fiscal Year: 2013..cancer, using the biological specimens and epidemiological data collected by an ongoing case-control study in Egypt, to test two primary hypotheses: (1) Individuals with short telomeres have an increased susceptibility to bladder ..
- Inflammatory Breast Cancer: Factors Contributing to DisseminationBonnie F Sloane; Fiscal Year: 2012..1%). In Egypt, the incidence of IBC is reported to be from 5- 10% of all breast cancer cases and is on the rise...
- INJURY PREVENTION TRAINING IN EGYPT AND THE MIDDLE EASTJon Mark Hirshon; Fiscal Year: 2013..upon the collaboration between the University of Maryland School of Medicine and Ain Shams University in Cairo, Egypt, we trained approximately 450 trainees from Egypt, Iraq, Sudan, Palestine and Afghanistan in one or more of the ..
- Fifth International Conference on Alzheimer's Disease in the MEChangiz Geula; Fiscal Year: 2009..Attendees will be from the majority of Middle Eastern countries including Bahrain, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Turkey, Qatar, United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia...
- Early Detection of Pervasive Developmental DisordersDeborah A Fein; Fiscal Year: 2013..other countries and cultures, including Japan, China, Spain, the Netherlands, France, Iceland, Ireland, Germany, Egypt, Puerto Rico and Turkey...
- Integrated Public Use Microdata Series: North Atlantic Population ProjectSTEVEN RUGGLES; Fiscal Year: 2013..365 million records, adding 40 new datasets for the period 1787 to 1930 from Albania, Britain, Canada, Denmark, Egypt, Iceland, Ireland, Germany, Norway, Mexico, Sweden, and the United States...
- Rift Valley Fever Vaccine Development of Animal Models and Optimize ProductionClarence J Peters; Fiscal Year: 2010..a viral disease endemic to sub-Saharan Africa and has been the cause of several recent epizootics and epidemics in Egypt. It is a mosquito borne enveloped RNA virus that is infectious via the aerosol route...
- UCLA - Cairo University Addiction Unit Research Training ProgramRichard A Rawson; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Cairo University (Kasr El-Ainy) is a leading educational institution in Egypt and the Middle East and has been a leading medical training institution for almost a century, training MDs as ..
- Glycans in Hepatocellular CarcinomaRadoslav Goldman; Fiscal Year: 2013..on a pilot set of hepatocellular carcinoma cases and controls from our unique study of hepatocellular carcinoma in Egypt, a country with an epidemic of hepatitis C viral infection...
- Analysis of LC-MS data to identify peptide and glycan biomarkers for hepatocellulHabtom W Ressom; Fiscal Year: 2013..Blood samples from patients with HCC and CLD controls in Egypt and United States will be used. The biomarkers will be validated using isotope dilution mass spectrometric assays.
- Epidemiology of drug use, HIV/AIDS and high risk behaviors in EgyptAmira A Roess; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Egypt faces several challenges in maintaining a low HIV/AIDS prevalence, including a general reluctance to address risk practices and issues associated with marginalized groups (such as injection ..
- Environmental Changes and Mosquito-Borne Diseases in Arid EnvironmentsJohn C Beier; Fiscal Year: 2013..In Upper Egypt, there are major concerns that projects underway to transform desert environments for irrigated agriculture in the ..
- Timing of Marriage and Women's Economic Empowerment in EgyptKathryn M Yount; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Women in Egypt have a long history of low economic empowerment. Specifically, they occupy less than one third of the labor force...
- Vulnerability of the Adolescent Brain to Organophosphorus PesticidesDiane S Rohlman; Fiscal Year: 2013..Partnering with colleagues at Egypt's Menoufia University, we conducted a pilot study of adolescents working for the Ministry of Agriculture as ..
- Comparative Spillover Dynamics of Avian Influenza in Endemic CountriesPeter Daszak; Fiscal Year: 2012..of leading disease ecologists, leveraging many years of experience in three H5N1 endemic (Bangladesh, China, and Egypt) and one control country (Cameroon, where H5N1 is not endemic)...
- Assessing Vulnerability of the Adolescent Brain to Organophosphorus PesticidesDiane S Rohlman; Fiscal Year: 2010..Adolescents in Egypt are hired seasonally to apply pesticides to the cotton crop...
- Towards Understanding the Morbidity of HEV InfectionMohamed Tarek Shata; Fiscal Year: 2007..We reported HEV is endemic in rural villages in Egypt. In spite of community-wide anti-HEV prevalence of 70-85%, HEV-caused AVH was rare and fulminant HEV-hepatitis was ..
- Tri National Training Program in Psychiatric GeneticsVISHWAJIT LAXMIKANT NIMGAONKAR; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our training will occur primarily in India and Egypt, which have a combined population of over 1.2 billion...
- SPECIES-SPECIFIC DNA PROBES FOR BANCROFTIAN FILARIASISSteven Williams; Fiscal Year: 1990..In Egypt, for example, the disease was virtually eliminated during the period 1910-1965, but seems to have increased ..
- Multi-pronged genetic studies of schizophrenia in an inbred populationVISHWAJIT LAXMIKANT NIMGAONKAR; Fiscal Year: 2013..R21 project between investigators at the University of Pittsburgh (PITT) and Mansoura University (MU, Egypt)...
- Research for the Elimination of Lymphatic FilariasisGary Weil; Fiscal Year: 2009..b>Egypt was one of the first countries in the world to implement a national program for elimination of lymphatic ..
- Prevalence and Correlates of Youth Drug Abuse in EgyptChristopher A Loffredo; Fiscal Year: 2013..on Drug Addiction (in response to PA-07-275) to address the growing public health threat from substance abuse in Egypt, where resources for healthcare in general, and for addiction control and research in particular (including both ..
- Vector-Borne Disease Control in Urban Environments (RMI)John C Beier; Fiscal Year: 2006..of mosquito-borne diseases at 7 selected cities in three regions: East Africa (Kenya), the Middle East (Israel, Egypt), and Latin America-Caribbean (Trinidad and Costa Rica)...
- Symposium on Alzheimer's Disease in the Middle EastROBERT FRIEDLAND; Fiscal Year: 2005..Attendees will be from Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Qatar, Bahrain, and other Arab states, as well as from Israel, Europe, and North America...
- Symposium on Alzheimer's Disease in the Middle EastROBERT FRIEDLAND; Fiscal Year: 2003..Attendees will be from Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Qatar, Bahrain, and other Arab states, as well as from Europe, Israel and North America...
- Early Detection of Alzheimer's: Interdisciplinary and International CollaborationMark Gluck; Fiscal Year: 2007..This satellite session, organized by Al Quds, will include neurologists from Jordan, Israel, Egypt, Morocco, Turkey, and the Palestinian territories speaking about regional clinical issues in Alzheimer's ..
- First International Symposium on Alzheimer's DiseaseROBERT FRIEDLAND; Fiscal Year: 2001..Attendees will be from Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Jordan and other Arab States as well as From Israel, Europe, and North America...
- ANTIAIDS AGENTS FROM MARINE ORGANISMSMark Hamann; Fiscal Year: 2007..Materials will be sourced through well established relationships with academic programs in Indonesia, Jamaica, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and Nigeria in addition to the evaluation of domestic samples...
- Peptide Biomarker Discovery by Mass Spectrometry for Early Detection of Liver CanHabtom Ressom; Fiscal Year: 2009..Serum samples collected from cirrhotic and HCC patients as well as healthy controls in Egypt, United States, and Thailand will be used in this study...
- EVALUATING SILYMARIN IN CHRONIC HEPATITIS CGeorge Strickland; Fiscal Year: 2000..therapeutic interventions have not proved promising, particularly with the genotype most commonly encountered in Egypt, and they are prohibitively expensive in the developing world...
- African Society of Human Genetics ConferenceCharles Rotimi; Fiscal Year: 2007..The[unreadable] theme of this year?s conference in Cairo, Egypt is ?Genomics Research in Africa: Implications for Disease[unreadable] Diagnosis, Treatment and Drug Development?...
- Medical anthropological approaches to gender confusionSHERINE HAMDY; Fiscal Year: 2004..Research will be assessed through ethnographic analysis in Egypt -- a world region in which individuals with genital ambiguity are not always subject to surgical operations at ..
- Risk Factors for TEL-AML Fusion Genes and Childhood Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia Sameera Ezzat; Fiscal Year: 2009..Cases will be recruited from the National Cancer Institute of Cairo University, Egypt, and controls will be recruited from the Orthopedic Department of Cairo University Hospital...
- Rift Valley Fever Virus MP-12 Vaccine CompletionCLARENCE PETERS; Fiscal Year: 2004..a viral disease endemic to sub-Saharan Africa and has been the cause of several recent epizootics and epidemics in Egypt. It is a mosquito-borne enveloped RNA virus, also infectious via the aerosol route...
- First Regional Conference on Injury and Safety Promotion - Eastern Mediterranean Jon Mark Hirshon; Fiscal Year: 2009..Fogarty International Collaborative Trauma and Injury Research Training (ICTIRT) Program already in place in Egypt, we are seeking funding for the planning and implementation of a regional conference on the burden of injuries in ..
- Cadmium, K-ras, and Pancreatic Cancer in EgyptAMR SOLIMAN; Fiscal Year: 2003..Although pancreatic cancer is rare in developing countries, including most of Egypt, the northeast Nile Delta region of Egypt offers a unique setting for studying pancreatic cancer because of: 1) ..
- EPIDEMIOLOGY OF EARLY-ONSET COLORECTAL CANCERAMR SOLIMAN; Fiscal Year: 2000b>Egypt has extensive environmental pollution and the highest proportion of early-onset colorectal cancers in patients under age 40 in the world (35 percent of total colorectal cancers)...
- International Symposium on Alcoholic Liver and Pancreatic Disease (ALPD)Scott Friedman; Fiscal Year: 2009..Symposium on Alcoholic Liver and Pancreatic Disease (ALPD) and Cirrhosis that will be held in Hurghada, Egypt. The prior three Symposia were highly successful and generated a wealth of new collaborations that led to major ..
- Epidemiology of HCV Infection among Egyptian ChildrenGamal Esmat; Fiscal Year: 2006..S. However, relatively little is known about its long-term natural history in the pediatric population. In Egypt the 18 percent population-based HCV prevalence is 10-fold greater than in the USA and our community-based data ..
- Consanguinity and risk of Bipolar Disorder I in EgyptVishwajit Nimgaonkar; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our preliminary studies have suggested that rates of parental consanguinity among BD1 patients in Egypt are elevated twofold in comparison with several sets of controls...
- DEFENSIN GENE REGULATION AND MOSQUITO VECTOR COMPETENCEBruce Christensen; Fiscal Year: 2003..aegypti and Cx. pipiens. Studies with Cx. Pipiens and W. bancrofti are possible because of a collaborative arrangement with researchers in Egypt.
- RESISTANCE TO PRAZIQUANTEL--AN EMERGING PROBLEMJames Bennett; Fiscal Year: 2000..is a response to recent studies that suggest resistance to PZQ may exist in some parts of Africa, including Egypt, where the PI and colleagues have shown that some villagers infected by schistosomes cannot be cured by 3 doses of ..
- A HEALTH SERVICES RESEARCH CENTERRuth Roemer; Fiscal Year: 1980..Year of the Child activities, the Child-Initiated Care Study will be replicated in several countries (Egypt, Poland, etc.) under the sponsorship of the Department of Health, Education and Welfare...
- Hepatitis C Recombination Incidence and PrevalenceStuart Ray; Fiscal Year: 2004..investigating HIV-1 recombination, HCV sequence variation, and the genetic epidemiology of diverse HCV subtypes in Egypt, we propose to examine our repository for evidence of recombination in HCV...
- SCHOOL BASED NUTRITION EDUCATION USING MULTIMEDIADONNA LLOYD KOLKIN; Fiscal Year: 1999..Khufu is an adventure/quest game set in a pyramid in ancient Egypt. The program will be field-tested using a pre-post experimental design in six California high schools...
- Measuring Developmental Idealism and Family LifeArland Thornton; Fiscal Year: 2006..studies will guide the creation of these measurement tools, and we will conduct pilot studies in Argentina, China, Egypt, and the United States to test the extent to which our measures are appropriate in these disparate settings...
- Mental Health Effects of a Major Stressor in AdolescenceRyan Brown; Fiscal Year: 2003..the world, young men account for a disproportion of suicide, substance abuse, violence, and accidents, and Egypt is no exception...
- Biomarkers of Heavy Metal Exposure Related to Pancreatic Cancer Genetic MutationsAMR SOLIMAN; Fiscal Year: 2007..been widely reported in developing countries, but one area of high incidence is the northeast Nile delta region of Egypt. Egypt and Louisiana provide similar environmental settings for comparison and possible understanding of the ..
- Molecular Characterization of Inflammatory Breast CancerAMR SOLIMAN; Fiscal Year: 2006..the differences between inflammatory breast cancer that arises in an area of surprisingly high proportion (Egypt) and in the U.S. where the proportion is 5 times lower...
- Epidemiology of Colon Cancer in a Special PopulationAMR SOLIMAN; Fiscal Year: 2006..Together, the training in these three areas will provide the skills and experience necessary for an independent career as a molecular and genetic epidemiologist interested in colorectal cancer. ..
- Measurement of Gender Differences in Disability and CareKathryn Yount; Fiscal Year: 2002..The purpose of this pilot project is to test on a representative sample of non-institutionalized older adults in Egypt the validity and reliability of questionnaires that have routinely been used to measure health status and service ..
- Domoic Acid and Neonatal Microglia ActivationAlejandro Mayer; Fiscal Year: 2004..activated microglia cells and their mediators play in DOM-induced excitotoxic neuronal injury and thus contribute to potential novel approaches for the therapy of the neuropathology associated with Amnesic Shellfish Poisoning in humans ..
- Building Sustainable Research Capacity at Mansoura EgyptVishwajit Nimgaonkar; Fiscal Year: 2008..by applicant): The aim of this application is threefold: (1) to build research infrastructure in Mansoura, Egypt through collaboration with Mansoura University Hospital; (2) to conduct a focused research project investigating ..
- DETERMINANTS OF HEPATITIS C & E MORBIDITY IN EGYPTGeorge Strickland; Fiscal Year: 2004..We and others have documented that the highest prevalence of HCV, and also possibly HEV, in the world occurs in Egypt. We have established a Network of Egyptians and Americans who are studying viral hepatitis and its cost to the ..
- DETERMINANTS OF HEPATITIS C & E MORBIDITY IN EGYPTGeorge Strickland; Fiscal Year: 2002..We and others have documented that the highest prevalence of HCV, and also possibly HEV, in the world occurs in Egypt. We have established a Network of Egyptians and Americans who are studying viral hepatitis and its cost to the ..
- Features of HCV and Schistosoma mansoni coinfectionSanaa Kamal; Fiscal Year: 2004Concomitant schistosomiasis and HCV infection is common in Egypt and many developing countries and represents a major health problem...
- AASK Cohort StudyShaul Massry; Fiscal Year: 2007..Such results might eventually lead to new strategies that delay or prevent ESRD. ..