Genomes and Genes
Summary: A republic in western Africa, south of NIGER between BENIN and CAMEROON. Its capital is Lagos. From the time it was visited in the 18th and 19th centuries by many European explorers, figuring in its administrative history were Great Britain, the native king, Sierra Leone, and the Gold Coast colony. Nigeria gained independence in 1960, becoming a republic in 1961. Nigeria derives its name from the Niger River which flows through it. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p848 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, 1992, p379)
Publications401 found, 100 shown here
- Expression of the cytochrome P450s, CYP6P3 and CYP6M2 are significantly elevated in multiple pyrethroid resistant populations of Anopheles gambiae s.s. from Southern Benin and NigeriaRousseau F Djouaka
International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, Cotonou, 08BP0932, Benin
BMC Genomics 9:538. 2008..s. from a number of localities in Southern Benin and Nigeria. The mosquitoes were sampled from a variety of breeding sites in a preliminary attempt to investigate the role of ..
- Determinants of use of maternal health services in Nigeria--looking beyond individual and household factorsStella Babalola
Department of Health, Behavior and Society, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, USA
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 9:43. 2009..Considering global and national interests in the Millennium Development Goal and Nigeria's high level of maternal mortality, understanding the factors affecting maternal health use is crucial...
- Causes of blindness and visual impairment in Nigeria: the Nigeria national blindness and visual impairment surveyMohammed M Abdull
Specialist Hospital, Bauchi, Nigeria
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 50:4114-20. 2009..Determine causes of blindness and visual impairment among adults aged >or=40 years...
- Anopheles gambiae s.s. breeding in polluted water bodies in urban Lagos, southwestern NigeriaT S Awolola
Public Health Division, Nigerian Institute of Medical Research, Yaba, Lagos, Nigeria
J Vector Borne Dis 44:241-4. 2007Urban malaria is on the rise in Nigeria due to rapid industrialisation and developmental activities. A study was undertaken in Lagos, Nigeria to study the Anopheles breeding in polluted water bodies.
- Willingness to pay for community-based health insurance in Nigeria: do economic status and place of residence matter?Obinna Onwujekwe
Department of Health Administration and Management, College of Medicine, University of Nigeria, Enugu Campus, PMB 01129 UNTH Enugu, Nigeria
Health Policy Plan 25:155-61. 2010..We examine socio-economic status (SES) and geographic differences in willingness of respondents to pay for community-based health insurance (CBHI)...
- Knowledge and practice of breast-self examination among female undergraduate students of Ahmadu Bello University Zaria, northwestern NigeriaU M D Gwarzo
Department of Community Medicine, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria
Ann Afr Med 8:55-8. 2009Carcinoma of the breast is an important public health problem in Nigeria and studies have reported low levels of awareness and practice of breast self examination as an important method of prevention...
- Effectiveness of cellulose sulfate vaginal gel for the prevention of HIV infection: results of a Phase III trial in NigeriaVera Halpern
Family Health International, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, United States of America
PLoS ONE 3:e3784. 2008..This trial evaluated the safety and effectiveness of 6% cellulose sulfate vaginal gel in preventing male-to-female vaginal transmission of HIV, gonorrhea and chlamydial infection...
- Intermittent preventive treatment with sulphadoxine-pyrimethamine is effective in preventing maternal and placental malaria in Ibadan, south-western NigeriaCatherine O Falade
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, University College Hospital, Ibadan, Nigeria
Malar J 6:88. 2007..This study sets out to evaluate the effectiveness of IPT-SP in the prevention of maternal and placental malaria in parturient mothers in Ibadan, Nigeria, where the risk of malaria is present all year round.
- Risk factors for obstetric fistulae in north-eastern NigeriaG S Melah
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Federal Medical Centre Gombe, Gombe, Nigeria
J Obstet Gynaecol 27:819-23. 2007..In a male dominated society, reaching out to men with traditionally palatable messages that will change their attitude and practices to taking responsibility in reproductive health could be a winning strategy...
- Evidence of multiple pyrethroid resistance mechanisms in the malaria vector Anopheles gambiae sensu stricto from NigeriaT S Awolola
Nigerian Institute of Medical Research, Yaba, Lagos, Nigeria
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 103:1139-45. 2009..Here we report the co-occurrence of both resistance mechanisms in a population of An. gambiae s.s. from Nigeria. Bioassay, synergist and biochemical analysis carried out on resistant and susceptible strains of An. gambiae s.s...
- Successful integration of insecticide-treated bed net distribution with mass drug administration in Central NigeriaBrian G Blackburn
Division of Parasitic Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 75:650-5. 2006..bed net distribution with the 2004 LF/onchocerciasis mass drug administration (MDA) program in Central Nigeria. Community volunteers distributed 38,600 insecticide-treated bed nets, while simultaneously treating 150,800 ..
- Emergence of a community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strain with a unique resistance profile in Southwest NigeriaB Ghebremedhin
Otto von Guericke University Clinic, Medical Microbiology, Magdeburg, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 47:2975-80. 2009..aureus strains at the largest university clinic in Ibadan, Nigeria. From 1,300 patients' clinical samples collected at the University Teaching Hospital in Ibadan, Nigeria, during a ..
- Preparation and use of plant medicines for farmers' health in Southwest Nigeria: socio-cultural, magico-religious and economic aspectsTaiwo E Mafimisebi
Department of Agricultural Economics and Extension, School of Agriculture and Agricultural Technology, The Federal University of Technology, Akure, Nigeria
J Ethnobiol Ethnomed 6:1. 2010Agrarian rural dwellers in Nigeria produce about 95% of locally grown food commodities...
- Cost-effectiveness analysis of rapid diagnostic test, microscopy and syndromic approach in the diagnosis of malaria in Nigeria: implications for scaling-up deployment of ACTBenjamin S C Uzochukwu
Department of Community Medicine, University of Nigeria, Nigeria
Malar J 8:265. 2009..Also, there is lack of trained microscopists and reliable equipment especially in rural areas of Nigeria. However, although rapid diagnostic tests (RDTs) have improved the ease of appropriate diagnosis of malaria ..
- Determinants of vaccination coverage in rural NigeriaOlumuyiwa O Odusanya
Department of Community Health and Primary Health Care, Lagos State University College of Medicine, P, M, B, 21216, Ikeja, Lagos State, Nigeria
BMC Public Health 8:381. 2008..The objective of this survey was to assess vaccination coverage and its determinants in this rural community in Nigeria
- Pattern of presentation and outcome of surgical management of primary open angle glaucoma in Kano, Northern NigeriaA Lawan
Department of Ophthalmology, Faculty of Medicine, Bayero University Kano, Nigeria
Ann Afr Med 6:180-5. 2007..1 million people worldwide. This study is a five year review of 71 eyes of 63 patients who had trabeculectomy. The study evaluates the pattern of presentation and modality of surgical treatment in our environment...
- Gains in awareness, ownership and use of insecticide-treated nets in Nigeria, Senegal, Uganda and ZambiaCarol A Baume
Academy for Educational Development, 1825 Connecticut Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20009, USA
Malar J 7:153. 2008..Using national ITN monitoring data from the USAID-sponsored AED/NetMark project, this article examines the extent to which these activities were successful in increasing awareness, ownership, and use of nets and ITNs...
- Spatial analysis of risk factors for childhood morbidity in NigeriaNgianga Bakwin Kandala
Clinical Sciences Research Institute, Warwick Medical School, Coventry, United Kingdom
Am J Trop Med Hyg 77:770-9. 2007..Our maps are a novel and relevant tool to help local governments to improve health-care interventions and achieve Millennium Development Goals (MDG4)...
- Rate, pattern and barriers of HIV serostatus disclosure in a resource-limited setting in the Niger delta of NigeriaC I Akani
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital, P M B 6173 Port Harcourt, Nigeria
Trop Doct 36:87-9. 2006..questionnaire from 187 HIV infected people residing in a resource-limited setting in the Niger Delta of Nigeria was analysed. Of the 187 HIV seropositive patients studied, 144 (77...
- Sexual behaviour of adolescents in Nigeria: cross sectional survey of secondary school studentsGail B Slap
Division of Adolescent Medicine, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center ML 4000, 3333 Burnet Avenue, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229 3039, United States
BMJ 326:15. 2003To determine whether family structure (polygamous or monogamous) is associated with sexual activity among school students in Nigeria.
- Gender and leprosy: case studies in Indonesia, Nigeria, Nepal and BrazilCorlien M Varkevisser
Royal Tropical Institute, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Lepr Rev 80:65-76. 2009..Between 1997 and 1999, leprosy control teams in Indonesia, Nigeria, Nepal and Brazil supported by social/public health scientists, conducted comparative exploratory research...
- Content of antenatal care services in secondary health care facilities in Nigeria: implication for quality of maternal health careKayode Osungbade
Department of Community Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, Nigeria
Int J Qual Health Care 20:346-51. 2008..To assess the contents of antenatal care and to relate the findings to the adequacy of maternal health care...
- Prevalence of blindness and visual impairment in Nigeria: the National Blindness and Visual Impairment StudyFatima Kyari
National Eye Centre, Kaduna, Nigeria
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 50:2033-9. 2009To determine the prevalence of blindness and visual impairment among adults aged > or = 40 years in Nigeria.
- Getting polio eradication back on track in NigeriaEbrahim Samba
World Health Organization Office for Africa, Brazzaville, Republic of Congo
N Engl J Med 350:645-6. 2004
- Utilization of insecticide-treated nets by under-five children in Nigeria: assessing progress towards the Abuja targetsOlusola B Oresanya
National Malaria Control Programme, Federal Ministry of Health, 2nd Floor, Yobe House, First Avenue, Off Shehu Shagari Way, Maitama, Abuja, Nigeria
Malar J 7:145. 2008..A national household survey conducted in 2005 by the Malaria Control Programme in Nigeria assessed the progress made with respect to ITN ownership and use among pregnant women and children under five ..
- Asymptomatic malaria parasitaemia and seroreactivities to Plasmodium falciparum antigens in blood donors from Ibadan, south-western NigeriaE A Achidi
Department of Chemical Pathology, University College Hospital, Ibadan, Nigeria
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 89:601-10. 1995..416 blood donors attending the Blood Transfusion Unit of the University College Hospital in Ibadan, south-western Nigeria: 224 in October-November 1991 and 192 in March 1992...
- Analysis of Plasmodium falciparum infections in a village community in Northern Nigeria: determination of msp2 genotypes and parasite-specific IgG responsesF Engelbrecht
Department of Parasitology, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Acta Trop 74:63-71. 2000The genetic diversity of P. falciparum and multiplicity of infection has been studied in a village in Northern Nigeria at the end of the rainy season, when transmission is high...
- Life projects and therapeutic itineraries: marriage, fertility, and antiretroviral therapy in NigeriaDaniel Jordan Smith
Department of Anthropology, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island 02912, USA
AIDS 21:S37-41. 2007To examine and understand the marital and fertility aspirations and behaviours of individuals receiving antiretroviral therapy (ART) in Nigeria and evaluate the effects on sexual behaviour, disclosure, and adherence.
- How do rural households perceive and prioritise malaria and mosquito nets? A study in five communities of NigeriaO E Onwujekwe
Health Policy Research Unit, Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, College of Medicine, University of Nigeria, Enugu Campus
Public Health 114:407-10. 2000..A cross-sectional survey was conducted in five malaria holo-endemic communities in Enugu State, South-eastern Nigeria. The household heads or the representatives from randomly selected households were interviewed, using a pre-..
- Rural-urban differences in maternal responses to childhood fever in South East NigeriaBenjamin S C Uzochukwu
Department of Community Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Nigeria, Enugu, Nigeria
PLoS ONE 3:e1788. 2008Childhood fevers due to malaria remain a major cause of morbidity and mortality among under-five children in Nigeria. The degree of vulnerability perceived by mothers will affect their perception of the severity and threat of their child'..
- Knowledge and utilization of intermittent preventive treatment for malaria among pregnant women attending antenatal clinics in primary health care centers in rural southwest, Nigeria: a cross-sectional studyStella O Akinleye
Department of Epidemiology, Medical Statistics and Environmental Health, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, Nigeria
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 9:28. 2009..treatment for prevention of malaria in pregnancy (IPTp) is a key component of malaria control strategy in Nigeria and sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine (SP) is the drug of choice...
- Inventory of antidiabetic plants in selected districts of Lagos State, NigeriaAdebayo A Gbolade
Department of Pharmacognosy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Olabisi Onabanjo University, Sagamu Campus, Ogun State, Nigeria
J Ethnopharmacol 121:135-9. 2009..survey by means of semi-structured questionnaire of medicinal plants in five districts of Lagos State of Nigeria reputed for the treatment of diabetes...
- Determinants of non-adherence to subsidized anti-retroviral treatment in southeast NigeriaB S C Uzochukwu
Department of Community Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Nigeria, Enugu, Nigeria, P O Box 3295 Enugu, Nigeria
Health Policy Plan 24:189-96. 2009The anti-retroviral (ARV) treatment programme in Nigeria is delivered through selected teaching and mission hospitals at a free/subsidized rate. The government aims to scale up ARV treatment in the country...
- Invasive pneumococcal disease in children aged <5 years admitted to 3 urban hospitals in Ibadan, NigeriaA G Falade
Department of Pediatrics, University College Hospital and College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
Clin Infect Dis 48:S190-6. 2009..pneumoniae...
- Epidemiology of congenital malaria in Nigeria: a multi-centre studyCatherine Falade
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, University College Hospital, Ibadan, Nigeria
Trop Med Int Health 12:1279-87. 2007To determine the burden of congenital malaria in newborns in Nigeria.
- The need to incorporate routine cervical cancer counselling and screening in the management of women at the outpatient clinics in NigeriaC C Dim
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Enugu, Nigeria
J Obstet Gynaecol 29:754-6. 2009Although cervical cancer is the commonest cause of cancer death in Nigeria, the use of cervical cancer screening is poor...
- Why we are still doing so many exchange blood transfusion for neonatal jaundice in NigeriaJoshua Aderinsola Owa
Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, Nigeria
World J Pediatr 5:51-5. 2009..This study was undertaken to determine the indications for EBT in neonatal jaundice (NNJ) at our unit and what proportion of EBTs was possibly avoidable...
- Prevalence and pattern of hypertension in a semiurban community in NigeriaRufus A Adedoyin
Department of Medical Rehabilitation, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, Nigeria
Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil 15:683-7. 2008..is a paucity of studies, however, on community-based surveys on the prevalence and pattern of hypertension in Nigeria in the recent time...
- Seasonal variation in hospitalisation for hypertension-related morbidities in Sokoto, north-western NigeriaS A Isezuo
Department of Medicine, Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Teaching Hospital, Sokoto, Nigeria
Int J Circumpolar Health 62:397-409. 2003..To determine the relationship between hospital admissions of hypertension-related morbidities, seasons and meteorological factors in a tropical climate...
- Seasonal variation in admission for heart failure, hypertension and stroke in Uyo, South-Eastern NigeriaV O Ansa
Department of Medicine, University of Calabar Teaching Hospital, Calabar, Nigeria
Ann Afr Med 7:62-6. 2008..for cardiovascular disease has been described in the temperate regions of the world as well as in Northern Nigeria. Increase admission rates during the cold seasons have been reported in these areas...
- Stressors and psychological symptoms in students of medicine and allied health professions in NigeriaOlayinka O Omigbodun
College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 41:415-21. 2006..This study investigates stressors and psychological morbidity in students of medicine, dentistry, physiotherapy and nursing at the University of Ibadan...
- Typhoid intestinal perforation in north central NigeriaB T Ugwu
Department of Surgery Jos University Teaching Hospital, Jos, Nigeria
West Afr J Med 24:1-6. 2005Typhoid intestinal perforation is a surgical problem with severe morbidity and high mortality in North Central Nigeria.
- The effects of a communication program on contraceptive ideation and use among young women in northern NigeriaStella Babalola
Center for Communication Programs, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, 111 Market Place, Baltimore, MD 21202, USA
Stud Fam Plann 39:211-20. 2008This study assesses the effects of a communication campaign designed to encourage young people in northern Nigeria to use modern family planning methods to avoid unwanted pregnancies...
- Voluntary counselling and testing (VCT) uptake, nevirapine use and infant feeding options at the University of Nigeria Teaching HospitalH E Onah
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Enugu, Nigeria
J Obstet Gynaecol 28:276-9. 2008..use and infant feeding options among the pregnant women seen in a tertiary care centre in Enugu, South-east Nigeria, with the aim of identifying gaps (if any) in the prevention of mother-to-child transmission (PMTCT) ..
- Type 2 diabetes in adult Nigerians: a study of its prevalence and risk factors in Port Harcourt, NigeriaEbenezer A Nyenwe
University Teaching Hospital, Port Harcourt, Nigeria
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 62:177-85. 2003This study aimed to assess the prevalence rates of type 2 diabetes and to determine potential associated risk factors of the disease in Port Harcourt, Nigeria.
- Youth, unemployment, and male gender predict mortality in AIDS patients started on HAART in NigeriaMalini B DeSilva
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Mayo Medical School, Rochester, MN, USA
AIDS Care 21:70-7. 2009..in a cohort of HIV-positive adult patients treated with highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) in Jos, Nigeria. We analyzed clinical data from a cohort of 1552 patients enrolled in a HIV/acquired immune deficiency syndrome ..
- Obstructive sleep apnea among adults in NigeriaOlanisun Olufemi Adewole
Department of Medicine, Obafemi Awolowo University, PMB 5538, Ile Ife, Osun State, Nigeria
J Natl Med Assoc 101:720-5. 2009..The Berlin questionnaire is a validated instrument that is used to identify individuals who are at risk for OSAS...
- Impact of hepatitis B virus infection on human immunodeficiency virus response to antiretroviral therapy in NigeriaJohn Idoko
Jos University Teaching Hospital, Jos, Plateau State, Nigeria
Clin Infect Dis 49:1268-73. 2009....
- Female genital cutting in southern urban and peri-urban Nigeria: self-reported validity, social determinants and secular declineR C Snow
Department of Tropical Hygiene and Public Health, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Trop Med Int Health 7:91-100. 2002..In three antenatal and three family planning clinics in South-west Nigeria we studied the prevalence, social determinants, and validity of self-reporting for FGC among 1709 women...
- Barriers to the use of antenatal and obstetric care services in rural Kano, NigeriaY M Adamu
Department of Geography, Bayero University, Kano, Nigeria
J Obstet Gynaecol 22:600-3. 2002..to women's use of antenatal care services and hospital delivery in a rural community in Kano State, Northern Nigeria. The study was based on an interview of 107 pregnant women conducted by a trained midwife in the native language ..
- Epidemiology of dementia in Nigeria: results from the Indianapolis-Ibadan studyA Ogunniyi
Department of Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, Nigeria
Eur J Neurol 7:485-90. 2000..the prevalence of dementia in a cohort of 2494 elderly Nigerians residents in Idikan Community, Ibadan, Nigeria. We utilized the Community Screening Instrument for Dementia to select subjects for clinical assessment in the ..
- Parental influence on reproductive health behaviour of youths in Ibadan, NigeriaO E Amoran
Department of Community Medicine and Primary Care, Obafemi Awolowo College of Health Sciences, Olabisi Onabanjo University, Shagamu, Ogun State
Afr J Med Med Sci 37:21-7. 2008The study was carried out to document parental influence on the reproductive health behaviour of youths in Ibadan, Nigeria. A cross-sectional survey of 274 youths from Idikan community was carried out...
- Delayed treatment of symptomatic breast cancer: the experience from Kaduna, NigeriaA Y Ukwenya
Department of Surgery, Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital, Zaria, Nigeria
S Afr J Surg 46:106-10. 2008A cross-sectional study carried out at a teaching hospital in Kaduna, Nigeria, to investigate the extent and reasons for the delay between onset of symptoms and admission for treatment of symptomatic breast cancer.
- Factors affecting the attrition of community-directed distributors of ivermectin, in an onchocerciasis-control programme in the Imo and Abia states of south-eastern NigeriaE C Emukah
National Office, Global 2000 Program, The Carter Center, Jos, Nigeria
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 102:45-51. 2008In areas of Nigeria where onchocerciasis is endemic, community-directed distributors (CDD) distribute ivermectin annually, as part of the effort to control the disease...
- Prevalence and correlates of suicidal behaviour among adolescents in southwest NigeriaOlayinka Omigbodun
College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria
Int J Soc Psychiatry 54:34-46. 2008..Despite being recognized by the World Health Organization as a significant social and health concern, information on suicidal behaviours in Nigerian adolescents is unknown...
- Odontogenic tumors: a review of 319 cases in a Nigerian teaching hospitalAkinola Ladipo Ladeinde
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, College of Medicine, University of Lagos, Lagos, Nigeria
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 99:191-5. 2005..This study sought to determine the relative frequency of odontogenic tumors in a Nigerian population and to compare these data with previous reports...
- Self-perceived and unmet general health need among PLWHA in NigeriaM A Adedigba
Department of Preventive and Community Dentistry, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife 220005, Nigeria
East Afr J Public Health 5:199-204. 2008..This study set out to determine the self-reported unmet health needs of people living with HIV/AIDS (PLWHA) in a Nigerian population...
- Discriminatory attitudes and practices by health workers toward patients with HIV/AIDS in NigeriaChen Reis
Physicians for Human Rights, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
PLoS Med 2:e246. 2005b>Nigeria has an estimated 3.6 million people with HIV/AIDS and is home to one out of every 11 people with HIV/AIDS worldwide...
- Postoperative pain management following caesarean section in University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital (UITH), Ilorin, NigeriaI K Kolawole
Department of Anaesthesia, University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital UITH, Ilorin, Nigeria
West Afr J Med 22:305-9. 2003..To assess the common methods of analgesia used in our hospital following caesarean section, their effectiveness and patient satisfaction...
- Therapeutic efficacy and effects of artesunate-mefloquine and mefloquine alone on malaria-associated anemia in children with uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in southwest NigeriaAkintunde Sowunmi
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
Am J Trop Med Hyg 81:979-86. 2009..AMQ clears parasitemia and reduces gametocyte carriage more rapidly and causes lesser fall in hematocrit than MQ, but both regimens are effective treatment of uncomplicated P. falciparum malaria in Nigerian children...
- Ecology of mosquitoes of Midwestern NigeriaGodwin R A Okogun
Department of Medical Laboratory Science, College of Medicine, Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma, Edo State, Nigeria
J Vector Borne Dis 42:1-8. 2005..mosquito genera in natural and artificial habitats and their relative species abundance was studied between August 2002 and July 2003 in three foci (Uromi, Ekpoma and Auchi) comprising the Esan and Etsako regions of Midwestern Nigeria.
- Clinical and genotypic findings in HIV-infected patients with the K65R mutation failing first-line antiretroviral therapy in NigeriaClaudia A Hawkins
Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 52:228-34. 2009..Patterns and frequency of antiretroviral drug resistance mutations observed in these countries may differ from those in the developed world, where HIV-1 subtype B predominates...
- Full genome sequences of two virulent strains of peste-des-petits ruminants virus, the Côte d'Ivoire 1989 and Nigeria 1976 strainsLouisa S Chard
Pirbright Laboratory, Institute for Animal Health, Ash Road, Woking, Surrey GU24 0NF, United Kingdom
Virus Res 136:192-7. 2008..the full length sequences representing two virulent strains of PPRV, the Côte d'Ivoire 1989 (CI/89) and Nigeria 1976 (Ng76/1) strains...
- Determinants of the choice of health care provider in NigeriaLloyd Ahamefule Amaghionyeodiwe
Department of Economics, Faculty of the Social Sciences, University of the West Indies, Mona, Kingston 7, Jamaica
Health Care Manag Sci 11:215-27. 2008The study investigated the determinants of households' choice of health care provider in Nigeria. Individual and household based questionnaires were used for the study...
- Prevalence of malaria in pregnant women in Lagos, South-West NigeriaChimere O Agomo
WHO TDR Malaria Specimen Bank Collection Site, Tropical Diseases Research Laboratory, Department of Medical Microbiology and Parasitology, College of Medicine of the University of Lagos, Nigeria
Korean J Parasitol 47:179-83. 2009Prevalence rates reported for malaria in pregnancy in Nigeria vary considerably...
- Malaria and anaemia in pregnancy in Enugu, south east NigeriaI M Ekejindu
Department of Medical Microbiology and Parasitology, Nnamdi Azikiwe University Nnewi Campus, Nigeria
Afr J Med Med Sci 35:1-3. 2006..There is a need for a more effective intervention to reduce the incidence of both malaria and anaemia in pregnancy...
- Prevalence of violence against pregnant women in Abeokuta, NigeriaAdeniran Olubukola Fawole
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University College Hospital, Ibadan, Nigeria
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 48:405-14. 2008..To determine the prevalence of violence to pregnant women within 12 months prior to and during the current pregnancy...
- Does the spillage of petroleum products in Anopheles breeding sites have an impact on the pyrethroid resistance?Rousseau F Djouaka
International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, Cotonou, 08BP0932, Benin
Malar J 6:159. 2007..The aim was to establish the possible contribution of oil spillage in the selection of pyrethroid resistance in malaria vectors...
- Salmonellosis in Lagos, Nigeria: incidence of Plasmodium falciparum-associated co-infection, patterns of antimicrobial resistance, and emergence of reduced susceptibility to fluoroquinolonesKabir O Akinyemi
Department of Microbiology, Lagos State University, Ojo PMB 1087, Apapa, Lagos, Nigeria
J Health Popul Nutr 25:351-8. 2007..05). For the first time in Lagos, Nigeria, Salmonella isolates (10-18%) with reduced susceptibility to both ciprofloxacin and ofloxacin at MIC50 and MIC90 ..
- Ocular health status of rural dwellers in south-western NigeriaBernice O Adegbehingbe
Ophthalmology Unit, Department of Surgery, College of Health Sciences, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, Nigeria
Aust J Rural Health 15:269-72. 2007..To determine the prevalence and causes of ocular morbidity, visual impairment and blindness, and suggest strategies for blindness prevention in a rural population...
- Maternal health-seeking behavior and associated factors in a rural Nigerian communityK M Osubor
Department of Community Medicine, University of Benin Teaching Hospital, Benin City, Nigeria
Matern Child Health J 10:159-69. 2006To assess maternal health services and health-seeking behavior in a rural community (Ologbo), located in the South-south zone of Nigeria.
- Avoidable maternal mortality in Enugu, NigeriaB C Ozumba
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Enugu, Nigeria
Public Health 122:354-60. 2008The aim of this study was to identify avoidable factors in maternal mortality in Enugu, Nigeria.
- Food insecurity, HIV/AIDS pandemic and sexual behaviour of female commercial sex workers in Lagos metropolis, NigeriaJ L Oyefara
Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, Nigeria
SAHARA J 4:626-35. 2007..role of hunger and food insecurity in the sexual behaviour of female commercial sex workers in Lagos metropolis, Nigeria within the context of HIV/AIDS...
- The impact of an intervention to change health workers' HIV/AIDS attitudes and knowledge in Nigeria: a controlled trialE N U Ezedinachi
Department of Medicine, University of Calabar, Calabar, Nigeria
Public Health 116:106-12. 2002....
- Modern marriage, men's extramarital sex, and HIV risk in southeastern NigeriaDaniel Jordan Smith
Department of Anthropology, Brown University, Providence, RI 02912, USA
Am J Public Health 97:997-1005. 2007For women in Nigeria, as in many settings, simply being married can contribute to the risk of contracting HIV. I studied men's extramarital sexual behavior in the context of modern marriage in southeastern Nigeria...
- Knowledge of risk factors, beliefs and practices of female healthcare professionals towards breast cancer in a tertiary institution in Lagos, NigeriaNasiru A Ibrahim
Department of Surgery, Lagos State University College of Medicine and Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria
BMC Cancer 9:76. 2009Breast cancer is the leading female malignancy in Nigeria. Screening for early detection has led to reduction in mortality from the disease...
- Twins in Jos Nigeria: a seven-year retrospective studyA O Aisien
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Jos University Teaching Hospital, Jos, Plateau State, Nigeria
Med Sci Monit 6:945-50. 2000..A retrospective analysis of twin pregnancy was carried out between 1st January 1992 and 31st December 1998 to determine the incidence, epidemiological variables perinatal and maternal outcome of twin pregnancy in the institution...
- Renal disease in HIV-seropositive patients in Nigeria: an assessment of prevalence, clinical features and risk factorsChioma Pedro Emem
Department of Medicine, University of Port Harcout Teaching Hospital, Port Harcout, Osun State, Nigeria
Nephrol Dial Transplant 23:741-6. 2008..We conclude that the prevalence of proteinuria in HIV-seropositive patients is high in Nigeria. Such subjects show an equal male:female distribution, and glomerular histology revealed that a majority of ..
- The obstetric vesicovaginal fistula: characteristics of 899 patients from Jos, NigeriaL Lewis Wall
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 190:1011-9. 2004The purpose of this study was to describe the characteristics of women with obstetric vesicovaginal fistulas at a hospital in north central Nigeria.
- Awareness and uptake of cervical cancer screening in Owerri, South-Eastern NigeriaB U Ezem
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Imo State University Teaching Hospital, Orlu, Nigeria
Ann Afr Med 6:94-8. 2007..This study determines the level of awareness and uptake of cervical screening in Owerri, South Eastern part of Nigeria.
- Prevalence of congenital malaria in Ile-ife, NigeriaP O Obiajunwa
Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, Nigeria
J Trop Pediatr 51:219-22. 2005..001). Congenital malaria has a high prevalence in Ile-Ife. There is a paucity of its clinical manifestations in the newborn. Only two babies had fever within 48 hours of birth...
- Assessing the role of traditional birth attendants (TBAs) in health care delivery in Edo State, NigeriaA O Imogie
Institute of Education, University of Benin, Benin City, Nigeria
Afr J Reprod Health 6:94-100. 2002..conducted to assess the role of traditional birth attendants (TBAs) in modern health care delivery in Edo State, Nigeria. A total of 391 respondents comprising 48 TBAs, 309 childbearing mothers and 34 medical and para-medical ..
- Antimicrobial properties and phytochemical constituents of the leaves of African mistletoe (Tapinanthus dodoneifolius (DC) Danser) (Loranthaceae): an ethnomedicinal plant of Hausaland, Northern NigeriaY Y Deeni
Department of Biological Sciences, Bayero University, P M B 3011, Kano, Nigeria
J Ethnopharmacol 83:235-40. 2002..Kauchi' in Hausa is a hemi-plant parasite used ethnomedicinally by the Hausa and the Fulani tribes of Northern Nigeria as a remedy for several human and animal ailments that include stomach ache, diarrhoea, dysentery, wound and ..
- Molecular epidemiology of chicken anemia virus in NigeriaM F Ducatez
Institute of Immunology, Laboratoire National de Santé, Luxembourg, Grand Duchy of Luxembourg
Arch Virol 151:97-111. 2006..detected by PCR in organ samples from 14 flocks of poultry farms in Lagos, Ogun and Oyo States in Southwestern Nigeria. The farms reported low (<5%) to high mortalities (up to 100%) with various lesions at necropsy...
- Prevalence of malocclusion among adolescents in Ibadan, NigeriaChukwudi Ochi Onyeaso
Orthodontic Unit, Department of Preventive Dentistry, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 126:604-7. 2004..of this study was to determine the prevalence of malocclusion among predominantly Yoruba adolescents in Ibadan, Nigeria, and to compare the results with those of other authors...
- Predominance of subtype A and G HIV type 1 in Nigeria, with geographical differences in their distributionM Peeters
Laboratoire Retrovirus, Institut de Recherche pour le Developpement, Montpellier, France
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 16:315-25. 2000The purpose of this study was to generate data on the relative prevalences of the HIV-1 subtypes circulating in Nigeria. A total of 252 HIV-1-positive samples collected during an epidemiologic survey conducted in April 1996 were ..
- Influence of education and knowledge on perceptions and practices to control malaria in Southeast NigeriaNkem Dike
Health Policy Research Unit, Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, College of Medicine, University of Nigeria, Enugu
Soc Sci Med 63:103-6. 2006The study was undertaken in southeastern Nigeria to investigate whether the people's level of education and what they know about malaria affects how they seek treatment and prevention for the disease...
- The status of malaria among pregnant women: a study in Lagos, NigeriaOmolade O Okwa
Department of Zoology, Parasitology Unit, Lagos State University, P M B 1087, Apapa, Lagos State, Nigeria
Afr J Reprod Health 7:77-83. 2003A study was carried out on the status of malaria among 800 randomly selected pregnant women in Lagos State, Nigeria. Blood samples were obtained from finger pricking and tested for malaria parasites in thin blood films and 60% prevalence ..
- Impact of health education on home treatment and prevention of malaria in Jengre, North Central NigeriaO O Chirdan
Department of Community Medicine, Jos University Teaching Hospital, Jos, Plateau State, Nigeria
Ann Afr Med 7:112-9. 2008..This study looks at the impact of health education on knowledge of malaria: its recognition, treatment and prevention among caregivers of children under five in Jengre, North Central Nigeria.
- Predictable ecology and geography of avian influenza (H5N1) transmission in Nigeria and West AfricaRichard A J Williams
Natural History Museum and Biodiversity Research Center, The University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS 66045, USA
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 102:471-9. 2008..Considerable additional work is needed to establish how these differences affect HP-H5N1 transmission...
- Factors associated with exclusive breastfeeding in Ibadan, NigeriaT O Lawoyin
Family and Reproductive Health Unit, Department of Community Medicine, College of Medicine, University College Hospital, Ibadan, Nigeria
J Hum Lact 17:321-5. 2001Although nationwide efforts to promote exclusive breastfeeding began in Nigeria in 1992, data on this type of infant feeding are still generally scarce...
- Are malaria treatment expenditures catastrophic to different socio-economic and geographic groups and how do they cope with payment? A study in southeast NigeriaObinna Onwujekwe
Health Policy Unit, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Trop Med Int Health 15:18-25. 2010..income depletion resulting from malaria treatment expenditures, the sacrifice of basic household needs (catastrophe) and the differences in payment strategies among different socio-economic and geographic groups in southeast Nigeria.
- Informed consent practices in NigeriaEmmanuel R Ezeome
Department of Surgery, University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Enugu, Nigeria
Dev World Bioeth 9:138-48. 2009..This review presents a composite picture of informed consent in Nigeria using empirical studies and legal and regulatory prescriptions, as well as clinical experience...
- Behaviour and population dynamics of the major anopheline vectors in a malaria endemic area in southern NigeriaI O Oyewole
Babcock University, Ilisan Remo, Nigeria
J Vector Borne Dis 44:56-64. 2007..A longitudinal study was carried out to investigate the population dynamics, resting and feeding behaviour of the major anopheline species found in a rain forest zone of Nigeria.
- Use of complementary and alternative medicine by cancer patients at the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Enugu, NigeriaEmmanuel R Ezeome
Department of Surgery, University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Enugu, Nigeria
BMC Complement Altern Med 7:28. 2007..This study was conducted to define the prevalence, pattern of use, and factors influencing the use of CAM by cancer patients at the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital Enugu (UNTH-E), Nigeria
- Perceptions of doctors to adverse drug reaction reporting in a teaching hospital in Lagos, NigeriaKazeem A Oshikoya
Pharmacology Department, Lagos State University College of Medicine, Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria
BMC Clin Pharmacol 9:14. 2009..This study was aimed at investigating the knowledge and attitude of doctors in a teaching hospital in Lagos, Nigeria on spontaneous ADR reporting and to suggest possible ways of improving this method of reporting.
- Attitude and use of herbal medicines among pregnant women in NigeriaTitilayo O Fakeye
Department of Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmacy Administration, University of Ibadan, Nigeria
BMC Complement Altern Med 9:53. 2009The use of herbal medicines among pregnant women in Nigeria has not been widely studied.
- A comparative study of the non-pneumatic anti-shock garment for the treatment of obstetric hemorrhage in NigeriaSuellen Miller
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, University of California, San Francisco, California 94105, USA
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 107:121-5. 2009..To determine whether the non-pneumatic anti-shock garment (NASG) can improve maternal outcome...
- Factors contributing to maternal mortality in north-central Nigeria: a seventeen-year reviewI A O Ujah
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Jos, Jos, Nigeria
Afr J Reprod Health 9:27-40. 2005Maternal mortality ratio in Nigeria is one of the highest in the world...
- Characterization of novel simian immunodeficiency viruses from red-capped mangabeys from Nigeria (SIVrcmNG409 and -NG411)B E Beer
Laboratory of Molecular Microbiology, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Rockville, Maryland 20852, USA
J Virol 75:12014-27. 2001..immunodeficiency virus (SIV) strains from wild-caught red-capped mangabeys (Cercocebus torquatus torquatus) from Nigeria were characterized...
- Complexity of the msp2 locus and the severity of childhood malaria, in south-western NigeriaO K Amodu
Institute of Child Health, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 102:95-102. 2008..surface protein-2 (msp2) locus and the severity of childhood malaria was investigated in Ibadan, in south-western Nigeria. The 400 children enrolled had acute uncomplicated malaria (144), cerebral malaria (64), severe malarial anaemia (..
- Best Management of Sigmoid Volvulus: a Prospective Randomized TrialJONATHAN CHARLES SAMUEL; Fiscal Year: 2013..Dr Anthony Charles, born and raised in Nigeria, has successfully mentored the applicant and several other US and Malawian trainees in both clinical care and ..
- Substituting Brown Rice for White Rice: Effect on Diabetes Risk Factors in IndiaMohan Viswanathan; Fiscal Year: 2012..Initiatives have already been launched by our group in China, and are planned for Tanzania, Nigeria, Puerto Rico and Mexico...
- IeDEA West -Africa collaborationFrancois Dabis; Fiscal Year: 2013..16, pediatrics: 11) in nine countries (Benin, Burkina Faso, Cote d'lvoire, Ghana, Guinea Bissau, Mali, Nigeria, Senegal, Togo)...
- Global Genomic and Proteomic Profiling of African Children with Typhoid FeverStephen Obaro; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have already established a bacteremia surveillance system in central Nigeria since 2008. A pilot study was initiated from a small cohort of Nigerian children with typhoid fever...
- African-Caribbean Cancer Consortium Scientific and Training ConferenceCAMILLE C RAGIN; Fiscal Year: 2012..cancer studies are ongoing in Brooklyn, USA, the Bahamas, Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana as well as Nigeria. Head and neck cancer studies are ongoing in the US (Pittsburgh and Brooklyn)...
- Plan for Cardiovascular Research Training in Advanced Biostatistics, Aging, and HDorairaj Prabhakaran; Fiscal Year: 2013..health training as the PI of two NIH/Fogarty-funded programs: Medical Education Partnership Initiative (MEPI) in Nigeria (including a supplemental grant for training on the responsible conduct of research), AIDS International Training ..
- Opening a New Lassa Fever Ward in Kenema Sierra LeoneRobert F Garry; Fiscal Year: 2013..fatal hemorrhagic disease that is endemic in the West African countries of Sierra Leone, Guinea, Liberia and Nigeria. Kenema Government Hospital (KGH) in Sierra Leone, West Africa is a 350-bed facility situated in the heart of the ..
- Determining Prevalence of Acute Bilirubin Encephalopathy in Developing CountriesTina Marye Slusher; Fiscal Year: 2013..The central hypothesis of this study is that ABE is common in the developing world and specifically in Nigeria but is under-recognized due to the lack of appropriate survey instruments...
- Scaling up services for people with psychosis in Nigeria: a pilot studyOyewusi Gureje; Fiscal Year: 2012..This is certainly the case in Nigeria where a recent study found that non-affective psychoses were relatively common (1...
- H3Africa Kidney Disease Research NetworkAkinlolu O Ojo; Fiscal Year: 2013..362 million (Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria and South Africa) and four North American institutions...
- Genome-wide association study of breast cancer in the African DiasporaOLUFUNMILAYO F OLOPADE; Fiscal Year: 2012..These include 944 cases and 665 controls form Ibadan, Nigeria, 171 cases and 378 controls from Barbados, and 681 cases and 945 controls from Chicago, Detroit, Philadelphia and ..
- International Partnership for Interdisciplinary Research TrainingOLUFUNMILAYO F OLOPADE; Fiscal Year: 2013..such as dentistry, nursing and ophthalmology;3) expand to other emerging South-South collaborations such as a new Nigeria-Tanzania partnership fostered by UC and 4) expand to other African countries through the African Organization on ..
- Formulation and Standardization of a Sickle Cell Disease Drug for Clinical TrialRobert Swift; Fiscal Year: 2010..A dried extract of four plants has been used to treat patients with SCD in Nigeria for many years (NIPRISAN)...
- Modeling the epidemiologic transition: Energy expenditure, obesity and diabetesAmy H Luke; Fiscal Year: 2012..From each site, i.e., Nigeria, South Africa, Seychelles, Jamaica and the US, 500 black adults will be recruited...
- Multidisciplinary NeuroAIDS Research Training to Improve HIV Outcomes in NigeriaBabafemi O Taiwo; Fiscal Year: 2013b>Nigeria has the second highest HIV burden and one of the highest rates of perinatal HIV transmission globally...
- Host Genetic Factors to Combat Lassa Hemorrhagic FeverMichael B Oldstone; Fiscal Year: 2013..P. Sabeti and colleagues found that mutations in LARGE were common in West African populations of Nigeria and Sierra Leone where LASV infection is endemic, but absent in those populations in West Africa where LASV is ..
- UM-IHV AITRP in NigeriaWILLIAM ALBERT BLATTNER; Fiscal Year: 2013..support activities that have impacted 1250 trainees from Jamaica, Bahamas, Trinidad and Tobago, Brazil, Mali, and Nigeria. In the current submission, the UM-IHV AITRP proposes to realign its training focus to exclusively target ..
- HIV status and fertility desires: Implications for HIV prevention and policiesAkinrinola Bankole; Fiscal Year: 2012..and prevent or cope with HIV infection, we will conduct a two-part study in one moderate-HIV-prevalence country (Nigeria) and one high prevalence country (Zambia): a quantitative survey of a community-based sample of 1300 men and ..
- INTERNATIONAL TRAINING IN AIDS-RELATED EPIDEMIOLOGYMyron E Essex; Fiscal Year: 2012..which proposes strong HIV/AIDS research training for applicants from 6 developing countries: Botswana, China, Nigeria, Senegal, Tanzania, and Thailand...
- Correlates of Monocyte-Associated Virus in HIV Neurocognitive ImpairmentWalter Royal; Fiscal Year: 2013..Research Center (UCSD/HNRC), and local research investigators from the Institute of Human Virology-Nigeria (IHV-N) and affiliates in Nigeria...
- Host and Pathogen Evolution in Lassa FeverPardis Sabeti; Fiscal Year: 2010..We established a basic diagnostic and research lab in Irrua, Nigeria, where yearly outbreaks of Lassa fever occur with population exposure of ~30%...
- A Genetic Study of Schizophrenia Endophenotypes in Sub-Saharan AfricansIkwunga Wonodi; Fiscal Year: 2012..This prompted the need for a homogenous sub-Saharan African sample of Ibos in Nigeria. The African sample will also be useful for other endophenotype-based gene mapping efforts, beyond NRXN3...
- SPORE IN BREAST CANCEROlufunmilayo I Olopade; Fiscal Year: 2010..cell lines from related healthy Caucasians and follow up with studies in African Americans and Yoruban trios from Nigeria. These research projects will be supported by three scientific cores: Core 1: SPORE Administration, Core 2: ..
- Variation in Severity of Sickle Cell Disease among the YorubasRICHARD STANLEY COOPER; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): This research will be done primarily in Ibadan, Nigeria at the University of Ibadan and in Kingston, Jamaica at the University of the West Indies in collaboration with Richard Cooper, as an extension ..
- STERILITY IN SUB-SAHARAN AFRICAUlla Larsen; Fiscal Year: 1992..the following: Benin, Botswana, Burundi, Cameroon, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Nigeria, Senegal, Sudan, Togo, Uganda, and Zimbabwe...
- Tailored Hospital-based Risk Reduction to Impede Vascular Events after Stroke (THBruce Ovbiagele; Fiscal Year: 2013..stroke, and once rare in Africa, is emerging as a serious endemic threat (about 37% of the general population in Nigeria, Africa's most populous country has hypertension)...
- Host and Microbial Genetic Determinants of Febrile Illness in West AfricaChristian Happi; Fiscal Year: 2013..GEnomic Research (WAGER) Network, consisting of West African Francophone and Anglophone centers of excellence in Nigeria, Sierra-Leone and Senegal...
- Improving neurologic outcome measurement for interventional research in IbadanSteffen Sammet; Fiscal Year: 2013..programs aimed at building research capacity are urgently needed to relieve the burden of neurological disease in Nigeria. Serious public health issues threaten the brain and cognitive function at all stages of the lifespan -- in utero,..
- Primary Prevention of Strokes in Nigerian Children with Sickle Cell DiseaseLORI CHAFFIN JORDAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..stroke (identified by elevated transcranial Doppler measurements) is not feasible in a low income country such as Nigeria due to scarcity of supply, cost, and high rate of blood borne infections...
- Center for Interdisciplinary Health Disparities ResearchSarah Gehlert; Fiscal Year: 2009..OIopade (R01# 2) will (a) look at the molecular characterization of primary patient samples in Nigeria and Chicago's South Side to see if alterations in BRCA1 contribute to breast cancer in younger Black women ..
- Global Mental Health Research Fellowship: Interventions That Make a DifferenceMilton L Wainberg; Fiscal Year: 2013..In partnership with Brazil, Nigeria and countries in Central Asia, this proposed program will provide training to the next generation of GMH ..
- GENETICS OF HYPERTENSION IN BLACKSRICHARD STANLEY COOPER; Fiscal Year: 2013..RELEVANCE: This project will conduct a genome-wide association for hypertension in the Yoruba population of Nigeria. Positive associations will be examined in a large replication sample from West Africa, and from population ..
- African Collaborative Center for Microbiome and Genomics Research (ACCME)CLEMENT ADEBAYO ADEBAMOWO; Fiscal Year: 2013..Public Health, School of Medicine University of Maryland, Baltimore;University of Abuja Teaching Hospital, Abuja, Nigeria and the Centre National d'Appui a la lutte centre la Maladie (CNAM) Mali...
- Phenome-Genome Characterization of Asthma in African-AmericansAdam Davis; Fiscal Year: 2012..pathway between the HapMap Project's Utah residents of European descent (CEU) and Yorubans in Nigeria (YRI) can be reproduced in AA and CA lymphoblast cells and to see if the set of genes differentially expressed is ..
- Digital SlipChip Technology for POC and Resource-Limited Viral Load MeasurementsRustem F Ismagilov; Fiscal Year: 2013..to manufacturing of diagnostic equipment, to working with AIDS patients both in the US and in India and Nigeria. This team would ensure that all research is done in the correct context of global health and in the context of ..
- Developing Innovative Interdisciplinary Biomedical Engineering Programs in AfricaRobert L Murphy; Fiscal Year: 2013..partners include the University of Cape Town in South Africa, the University of Ibadan and Lagos University in Nigeria, the University of Bamako in Mali, and the University of Nairobi in Kenya...
- Acute HIV infection and pregnancyMAN E CHARURAT; Fiscal Year: 2012..a combination of rapid HIV assays and multi-stage pooled nucleic acid amplification tests, pregnant women from Nigeria will be enrolled during the window of viral antigenemia and prior to development of confirmatory antibodies ..
- Comparative Effectiveness of Congregation and Clinic Based Approaches to PMTCTECHEZONA EDOZIE EZEANOLUE; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Nigeria is one of only 4 countries among the 22 with an HIV testing rate for pregnant women of less than 20%...
- UC Berkeley Global Research Training in Population and Health in NigeriaDAVID MALCOLM POTTS; Fiscal Year: 2010..program will enhance the capacity of two key departments at Ahmadu Bello University (ABU), Zaria, northern Nigeria, to carry out applied research in Population Health...
- Global Institutions and the Politics of International DisabilityRAYMOND PAUL LANG; Fiscal Year: 2013..Drawing upon original research conducted by the author in Nigeria, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Malawi, Swaziland and Namibia, between 2007-2009, this book will argue that disability ..
- TRUSTMAN E CHARURAT; Fiscal Year: 2013..team in other low income settings are employed to measure patterns of behavior and sexual practice among MSM in Nigeria, and monitor impact of TRUST engagement on behavioral and biological (incident HIV and STI) outcomes...
- Dietary Factors Affecting Calcium and Zinc AbsorptionSteven Abrams; Fiscal Year: 2006..of mineral deficiency in a unique population of children with severe calcium deficiency-related rickets in Nigeria. We propose to develop a novel collaboration for conducting comprehensive mineral research...
- Training Program in Nigeria for NCD Research (TRAPING - NCD)CLEMENT ADEBAYO ADEBAMOWO; Fiscal Year: 2013..use a combination of short, medium and long term training programs, based locally at our partner universities in Nigeria - University of Ibadan and Obafemi Awolowo University in collaboration with US universities - University of ..
- IHVN H3 Africa Biorepository InitiativeALASH apos LE G ABIMIKU; Fiscal Year: 2013..Collaborative Center for Microbiome and Genomics Research (ACCME), based at the Institute of Human Virology-Nigeria (IHVN) is led by Dr...
- Partnership for Mental Health Development in Sub-Saharan AfricaOyewusi Gureje; Fiscal Year: 2013..will bring together institutions in six countries in great need for major improvements in their health systems: Nigeria, South Africa, Ghana, Kenya, Sierra Leone and Liberia with outstanding researchers from institutions in the US ..
- Mentoring in Qualitative Methods for Patient-Oriented Research on HIV CareNorma C Ware; Fiscal Year: 2013..The program will take place at Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, USA;Jos University, Jos, Nigeria;and Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania...
- UMB-IRB and Nigerian NHREC Collaborative Capacity Building InitiativeCLEMENT ADEBAYO ADEBAMOWO; Fiscal Year: 2010..The University of Maryland Baltimore Institutional Review Board - National Health Research Ethics Committee of Nigeria (NHREC) Collaborative Capacity Building Initiative (UMBINN) is a program designed to enhance the capacity of the ..
- Global Health and Georesource Management in AfricaCOLLINS AIRHIHENBUWA; Fiscal Year: 2009..brings together shared and complementary expertise among the partner institutions in the United States, Nigeria, and South Africa...
- Institute of Human Virology Clinical Trials UnitCHARLES EDWARD DAVIS; Fiscal Year: 2013..integrates five clinical research sites (CRS) four in the US (a Baltimore-Washington consortium) and one in Nigeria, West Africa that focus on four major research objectives: Drug Research and Development;Optimization of Clinical ..
- Institute of Human Virology Clinical Trials UnitWILLIAM ALBERT BLATTNER; Fiscal Year: 2011..integrates five clinical research sites (CRS) four in the US (a Baltimore-Washington consortium) and one in Nigeria, West Africa that focus on four major research objectives: Drug Research and Development;Optimization of Clinical ..
- Optimizing integrated PMTCT services in rural North-Central NigeriaMuktar Hassan Aliyu; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Nigeria has one of the highest burdens of mother-to-child transmission of HIV in the world...
- Stroke Investigative Research &Educational Network (SIREN)Mayowa Ojo Owolabi; Fiscal Year: 2013..These projects will be implemented at eight sites in three countries (Nigeria, Ghana, and South Africa), and will leverage prior experience and ongoing collaborations including previous ..
- Community factors shaping the sexual behavior of malesRobert Stephenson; Fiscal Year: 2007..dimensions of the community environment on the sexual behavior of heterosexual males in four countries: Ghana, Nigeria, Zambia and Zimbabwe...
- Afro-Caribbean Consortium on viral and environmental risk factors for cancerCamille Ragin; Fiscal Year: 2007..population, as well as an African American population, around New York City, and a population in Southwest Nigeria. The audience will involve investigators who have expressed an interest in participating in the Consortium as ..
- Decreasing Interruptions and Losses from HIV Care in NigeriaAIMALOHI AHONKHAI; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): With 160 million inhabitants, Nigeria is the most populous African nation, and home to the second largest number of people living with HIV/AIDS in the world (3.5 million)...
- Molecular determinants of P. falciparum resistance to ACTs in Nigeria.Christian T Happi; Fiscal Year: 2010..combination therapies (ACTs) for the management of malaria infections in many African countries including Nigeria. However, changes in antimalarial drug policies in many African countries were done without the availability of ..
- West African Bioethics Training ProgramCLEMENT ADEBAYO ADEBAMOWO; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The UMB "Sustained Research Ethics Training and Capacity Building Program in Nigeria" (STRETCH) Program builds on the outstanding work done in the last 6 years in developing a health research ethics ..
- Determinants of Drug Resistant Malaria in NigeriaDyann Wirth; Fiscal Year: 2006..resistance as a surveillance tool for monitoring changes in the efficacy of these drugs over time in Nigeria. Data generated by this research work will be made available to the national malaria control program in order to ..
- Strengthening Research Administrative Infrastructure at Univ of Ibadan NigeriaEME THEODORA OWOAJE; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Medical Education Partnership Initiative in NigeriaDAVID OLUFEMI OLALEYE; Fiscal Year: 2013The NIH Medical Education Partnership Initiative in Nigeria (MEPIN) provides an opportunity to address many of the challenges facing the Nigerian education institutions today with the overall goal of improving and Strengthening the ..
- ANTIAIDS AGENTS FROM MARINE ORGANISMSMark Hamann; Fiscal Year: 2007..through well established relationships with academic programs in Indonesia, Jamaica, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and Nigeria in addition to the evaluation of domestic samples...
- Love, Marriage, and HIV: Gender and HIV RiskJennifer Hirsch; Fiscal Year: 2006..HIV epidemic have been selected for study: Degollado, Jalisco Tari, Papua New Guinea, Soc Son, Vietnam, Ubakala, Nigeria, and Bulubandi, Uganda...
- The Demand for Cancer Screening: Peer Effects or LearningEdward N Okeke; Fiscal Year: 2013..randomized experiment in which we collect detailed information about women's peer networks in 12 villages in Nigeria and then create random variation in screening adoption across networks by randomly distributing various cash ..
- FIELD CENTER--GENETICS OF HYPERTENSIONRichard Cooper; Fiscal Year: 1999..Beginning in 1991, population based surveys were initiated in 9 sites in 7 countries, including West Africa (Nigeria, Cameroon), the Caribbean (Barbados, St. Lucia and Jamaica) and the US (Maywood, IL)...
- FUNCTIONAL AND NEURAL MECHANISMS OF INTERVAL TIMINGWARREN MECK; Fiscal Year: 2000..The outp nuclei of the basal ganglia (that is, the globus palladiums and the substantial Nigeria pars reticulate send their axons to the thalamus and, by this route, project back upon the cortex...