Genomes and Genes
Summary: An independent state in southern Africa, south of TANZANIA and east of ZAMBIA, on the Indian Ocean. Its capital is Maputo. It was formerly called Portuguese East Africa, the town of Mozambique having been a Portuguese trading fort early in the 16th century. Organized as a colony in 1907, it became an overseas province of Portugal in 1951 and became independent in 1975. The name is a Portuguese corruption of the Arabic musa malik: Musa (the name of an early African ruler) + malik (king). (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1992, p798 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, 1992, p365)
Publications264 found, 100 shown here
- Hypertension prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control in mozambique: urban/rural gap during epidemiological transitionAlbertino Damasceno
Eduardo Mondlane University, Maputo, Mozambique
Hypertension 54:77-83. 2009..The urban/rural differences across sexes support a trend toward smaller differences, emphasizing the need for strategies to improve prevention, correct diagnosis, and access to effective treatment...
- Community-acquired bacteremia among children admitted to a rural hospital in MozambiqueBetuel Sigauque
Centro de Investigação em Saúde da Manhiça, Maputo, Mozambique
Pediatr Infect Dis J 28:108-13. 2009..Although community-acquired bacteremia is an important cause of childhood mortality in Africa, recognition of disease burden and potential impact of bacterial vaccines is limited...
- Loss to follow-up of adults in public HIV care systems in central Mozambique: identifying obstacles to treatmentMark A Micek
Department of Global Health, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 09195, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 52:397-405. 2009..Access to antiretroviral treatment (ART) has expanded dramatically in resource-limited settings. Evaluating loss to follow-up from HIV testing through post-ART care can help identify obstacles to care...
- Risk factors for incomplete vaccination and missed opportunity for immunization in rural MozambiqueJagrati V Jani
Department of Immunology, Instituto Nacional de Saude, Maputo, Mozambique
BMC Public Health 8:161. 2008..This study aimed at finding out the reasons for non-vaccination and the magnitude of missed opportunities for vaccination in children less than two years of age in a rural area in southern Mozambique.
- Pandemic serovars (O3:K6 and O4:K68) of Vibrio parahaemolyticus associated with diarrhea in Mozambique: spread of the pandemic into the African continentM Ansaruzzaman
Laboratory Sciences Division, ICDDR, B Centre for Health and Population Research, GPO Box 128, Dhaka 1000, Bangladesh
J Clin Microbiol 43:2559-62. 2005Forty-two episodes of Vibrio parahaemolyticus infections were detected in Beira, Mozambique, from January to May 2004. The majority of the isolates (81%) belonged to the pandemic serovars (O3:K6 and O4:K68) of V. parahaemolyticus...
- A country-wide malaria survey in Mozambique. II. Malaria attributable proportion of fever and establishment of malaria case definition in children across different epidemiological settingsSamuel Mabunda
National Malaria Control Programme, Maputo, Mozambique
Malar J 8:74. 2009..In many settings of stable malaria transmission, the presence of asymptomatic malaria parasite carriers is common and the definition of clinical malaria remains uncertain...
- Barriers to access to antiretroviral treatment in Mozambique, as perceived by patients and health workers in urban and rural settingsMariana Posse
Faculty of Economics and Management, Catholic University of Mozambique, Beira, Mozambique
AIDS Patient Care STDS 23:867-75. 2009..factors perceived as barriers to accessing antiretroviral treatment (ART) in urban and rural settings in Mozambique. Data were collected between March and July 2008...
- Cholera in Mozambique, variant of Vibrio choleraeM Ansaruzzaman
Emerg Infect Dis 10:2057-9. 2004
- PMTCT, HAART, and childbearing in Mozambique: an institutional perspectiveVictor Agadjanian
Center for Population Dynamics, School of Social and Family Dynamics, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287 3701, USA
AIDS Behav 13:103-12. 2009..use data from semi-structured interviews with MCH workers and ethnographic observations carried out in southern Mozambique to explore this role from the institutional perspective...
- Characteristics of a pandemic clone of O3 : K6 and O4 : K68 Vibrio parahaemolyticus isolated in Beira, MozambiqueM Ansaruzzaman
ICDDR, B International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh, Mohakhali, Dhaka 1212, Bangladesh
J Med Microbiol 57:1502-7. 2008The genetic characteristics of Vibrio parahaemolyticus strains isolated in 2004 and 2005 in Mozambique were assessed in this study to determine whether the pandemic clone of V...
- A 10 year study of the cause of death in children under 15 years in Manhiça, MozambiqueJahit Sacarlal
Centro de Investigação em Saúde da Manhiça CISM, Mozambique
BMC Public Health 9:67. 2009....
- Endangering safe motherhood in Mozambique: prenatal care as pregnancy riskRachel R Chapman
Department of Anthropology, Case Western Reserve University, 10900 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106 7125, USA
Soc Sci Med 57:355-74. 2003..interviews with health providers and longitudinal pregnancy case studies with 83 women were conducted in Central Mozambique to examine pregnant women's underutilization of clinic-based prenatal services...
- Cost-effectiveness of malaria intermittent preventive treatment in infants (IPTi) in Mozambique and the United Republic of TanzaniaGuy Hutton
Swiss Tropical Institute, Basel, Switzerland
Bull World Health Organ 87:123-9. 2009..To estimate the cost-effectiveness of malaria intermittent preventive treatment in infants (IPTi) using sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine (SP)...
- Chikotsa--secrets, silence, and hiding: social risk and reproductive vulnerability in central MozambiqueRachel R Chapman
Department of Anthropology, University of Washington, USA
Med Anthropol Q 20:487-515. 2006..I examine pregnancy narratives and patterns of reproductive health seeking among women of fertile age in central Mozambique. I map the interplay between gendered economic marginalization, maternal risk perceptions, and pregnancy ..
- An autopsy study of maternal mortality in Mozambique: the contribution of infectious diseasesClara Menendez
Barcelona Center for International Health Research CRESIB and Department of Pathology, Hospital Clinic, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, Universitat de Barcelona, Spain
PLoS Med 5:e44. 2008..The aim of this study was to accurately describe the causes of maternal death in order to contribute to its reduction, in one of the regions of the world with the highest maternal mortality ratios...
- Comparison of the diagnostic accuracy of a rapid immunochromatographic test and the rapid plasma reagin test for antenatal syphilis screening in MozambiquePablo J Montoya
Health Alliance International, Maputo, Mozambique
Bull World Health Organ 84:97-104. 2006....
- Etiology of diarrhea in children younger than 5 years of age admitted in a rural hospital of southern MozambiqueInácio M Mandomando
Centro de Investigação em Saúde da Manhiça, Moçambique
Am J Trop Med Hyg 76:522-7. 2007..Resistance to trimethoprim-sulphametoxazole and ampicillin was high. Etiologic data on diarrheal diseases and susceptibility patterns of diarrheal pathogens are important tools for clinical management and control strategic planning...
- Randomized control trial of peer-delivered, modified directly observed therapy for HAART in MozambiqueCynthia R Pearson
Department of Psychology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 1525, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 46:238-44. 2007..To assess the efficacy of a peer-delivered intervention to promote short-term (6-month) and long-term (12-month) adherence to HAART in a Mozambican clinic population...
- Classical RS1 and environmental RS1 elements in Vibrio cholerae O1 El Tor strains harbouring a tandem repeat of CTX prophage: revisiting Mozambique in 2005Seon Young Choi
International Vaccine Institute, Seoul, Republic of Korea
J Med Microbiol 59:302-8. 2010..strains producing classical type cholera toxin (altered strains or El Tor variants) are prevalent in Asia and in Mozambique. Mozambican strains collected in 2004 contained a tandem repeat of CTX prophage on the small chromosome and each ..
- Detection of bovine babesiosis in Mozambique by a novel seminested hot-start PCR methodTiago M Martins
UTPAM, INETI, Est Paço do Lumiar 1649 038 Lisboa, Portugal
Vet Parasitol 153:225-30. 2008..Bovine babesiosis and other TBDs were considered responsible for 50% of the deaths of cattle that occurred in Mozambique in the first year after importation from neighbouring countries...
- International NGOs and primary health care in Mozambique: the need for a new model of collaborationJames Pfeiffer
Department of Anthropology, Case Western Reserve University, 10900 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106 7125, USA
Soc Sci Med 56:725-38. 2003..Based on three years of participant-observation in Mozambique, this paper presents an ethnographic case study of these relationships in one central province...
- Operational impact of DDT reintroduction for malaria control on Anopheles arabiensis in MozambiqueM Coleman
Malaria Research Programme, Medical Research Council, Ridge Rd, Durban, South Africa
J Med Entomol 45:885-90. 2008..Indoor residual spraying with DDT was reintroduced into Mozambique for malaria control in 2005, and it is increasingly becoming the main insecticide used for malaria vector ..
- Impact of traditional birth attendant training in Mozambique: a controlled studyS Gloyd
Health Alliance International, Seattle, WA 98105, USA
J Midwifery Womens Health 46:210-6. 2001..utility and impact on perinatal mortality of a model traditional birth attendant (TBA) training program in rural Mozambique by comparing birth attendance and outcomes in similar communities with and without trained TBAs...
- Spatio-seasonal modeling of the incidence rate of malaria in MozambiqueRosa Abellana
Bioestadistica, Departament de Salut Publica, Universitat de Barcelona, Casanova 143, 08036, Barcelona, Spain
Malar J 7:228. 2008The objective was to study the seasonal effect on the spatial distribution of the incidence of malaria in children under 10 years old living in the Manhiça district, Mozambique.
- Effectiveness of mass oral cholera vaccination in Beira, MozambiqueMarcelino E S Lucas
Ministry of Health, Maputo, Mozambique
N Engl J Med 352:757-67. 2005..We evaluated a mass immunization program with recombinant cholera-toxin B subunit, killed whole-cell (rBS-WC) oral cholera vaccine in Beira, Mozambique, a city where the seroprevalence of HIV is 20 to 30 percent.
- Characteristics of drug resistance and HIV among tuberculosis patients in MozambiqueA Mac-Arthur
National Tuberculosis and Leprosy Control Programme, Ministry of Health of Mozambique, Maputo
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 5:894-902. 2001The rate of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) seroprevalence among tuberculosis patients varies between 2% and 53% in Mozambique, depending on the region. Drug resistance surveillance has been performed in only a few cities in Mozambique.
- Rapid increase of Plasmodium falciparum dhfr/dhps resistant haplotypes, after the adoption of sulphadoxine-pyrimethamine as first line treatment in 2002, in southern MozambiqueSonia Enosse
Instituto Nacional de Saude, Ministerio de Saude, Maputo, Mozambique
Malar J 7:115. 2008In late 2002, the health authorities of Mozambique implemented sulphadoxine-pyrimethamine (SP)/amodiaquine (AQ) as first-line treatment against uncomplicated falciparum malaria...
- The epidemiology of malaria in adults in a rural area of southern MozambiqueAlfredo Mayor
Center for International Health, Hospital Clinic, IDIBAPS, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Malar J 6:3. 2007..The present study was undertaken to investigate the clinical, parasitological and haematological status of adults exposed to malaria, and to characterize parasites in these individuals who progressively acquire protective immunity...
- Prevalence of congenital heart disease in schoolchildren of sub-Saharan Africa, MozambiqueEloi Marijon
Int J Cardiol 113:440-1. 2006A survey conducted by cardiologists in Mozambique provided an opportunity for assessing the prevalence of congenital heart disease in public school children in Maputo. After randomization, a total of 2170 children were examined...
- Examining the evidence of under-five mortality reduction in a community-based programme in Gaza, MozambiqueAnbrasi Edward
Department of International Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 101:814-22. 2007..The child survival programme implemented in Chokwe district of Gaza province, Mozambique, achieved high coverage for bed net use (80%), oral rehydration therapy for children with diarrhoea (94%) and ..
- Co-circulation of two genetically distinct viruses in an outbreak of African swine fever in Mozambique: no evidence for individual co-infectionA D S Bastos
Department of Zoology and Entomology, Mammal Research Institute, University of Pretoria, Pretoria 0002, South Africa
Vet Microbiol 103:169-82. 2004..In 1998, domestic pigs originating from villages within a 40 km radius of Ulongwe in the northern Tete Province of Mozambique were held in a quarantine facility for a 3-month period prior to their importation into South Africa...
- The residual life of bendiocarb: a field-based evaluation from MozambiqueRajendra Maharaj
Malaria Research Programme, Medical Research Council, Durban, 4067, South Africa
J Med Entomol 41:130-2. 2004The residual life of bendiocarb was evaluated under field conditions in southern Mozambique. Bioassays conducted at monthly intervals using susceptible Anopheles arabiensis demonstrated that bendiocarb had an effective residual life of 6 ..
- Molecular evidence favouring step-wise evolution of Mozambique Vibrio cholerae O1 El Tor hybrid strainKalpataru Halder
Indian Institute of Chemical Biology CSIR, Kolkata 700 032, India
Microbiology 156:99-107. 2010..However, an unusual hybrid El Tor strain carrying CTX(class)Phi caused the cholera epidemic in Mozambique in 2004...
- The challenge of improving perinatal care in settings with limited resources. Observations of midwifery practices in MozambiqueKyllike Christensson
Department of Woman and Child Health, Division of Reproductive and Perinatal Health Care, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Afr J Reprod Health 10:47-61. 2006..Change in professional performance does not automatically follow awareness of evidence-based midwifery practices, but requires behavioural change, which may be more difficult to achieve...
- Detection of Salmonella enterica serotype typhimurium DT104 in MozambiqueJoaquim Ruiz
Centre de Recerca en Salut Internacional de Barcelona, Hospital Clinic Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Barcelona, Spain
Am J Trop Med Hyg 79:918-20. 2008..We obtained two isolates of S. typhimurium DT104 from blood cultures of infants with malaria in Mozambique. Both isolates contained Salmonella genomic island 1A and had the same pulsed-field gel electrophoresis PulseNet ..
- Falciparum malaria and HIV-1 in hospitalized adults in Maputo, Mozambique: does HIV-infection obscure the malaria diagnosis?Aase Berg
Stavanger University Hospital, Department of Medicine, Stavanger, Norway
Malar J 7:252. 2008..The potential impact of HIV-1 on falciparum malaria has been difficult to determine because of diagnostic problems and insufficient epidemiological data...
- Rapid spread and genetic diversification of HIV type 1 subtype C in a rural area of southern MozambiqueMaria Lahuerta
Barcelona Center for International Health Research CRESIB, Hospital Clinic, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, Universtitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 24:327-35. 2008..1 (HIV-1) viruses circulating between 1999 and 2004 in antiretroviral-naive women from a rural area of southern Mozambique. Nucleotide sequencing of the HIV-1 long terminal repeat (LTR) U3, envelope (env) C2V3C3, and protease (pr) ..
- The influence of transmission season on parasitological cure rates and intensity of infection after praziquantel treatment of Schistosoma haematobium-infected schoolchildren in MozambiqueG Augusto
Instituto Nacional de Saúde Ministério da Saúde, Av Eduardo Mondlane No 1008 Caixa Postal 264, Maputo, Moçambique
Parasitology 136:1771-9. 2009..To examine this hypothesis, a study was carried out in southern Mozambique. Following demonstration of seasonal transmission, PZQ was administered separately to two cohorts of S...
- Antimicrobial resistance of Vibrio cholerae O1 serotype Ogawa isolated in Manhiça District Hospital, southern MozambiqueInacio Mandomando
Centro de Investigação em Saúde da Manhiça CISM, Maputo, Mozambique
J Antimicrob Chemother 60:662-4. 2007To describe the antimicrobial susceptibility profile of isolated Vibrio cholerae O1 serotype Ogawa recovered from patients admitted to the cholera facility in the Manhiça District Hospital (MDH), Mozambique.
- Mycobacterium tuberculosis and nontuberculous mycobacterial isolates among patients with recent HIV infection in MozambiqueElizabete Abrantes Nunes
School of Medicine, Eduardo Mondlane University, Maputo, Mozambique
J Bras Pneumol 34:822-8. 2008Mycobacteriosis is frequently diagnosed among HIV-infected patients. In Mozambique, where few patients are under antiretroviral therapy and the prevalence of tuberculosis is high, there is need for better characterization of mycobacteria ..
- Multilocus sequence typing (MLST) analysis of Vibrio cholerae O1 El Tor isolates from Mozambique that harbour the classical CTX prophageJe Hee Lee
International Vaccine Institute, San 4 8 Bongcheon 7 Dong, Kwanak gu, Seoul, 151 818, Republic of Korea
J Med Microbiol 55:165-70. 2006..belonging to the Ogawa serotype, El Tor biotype, harbouring the classical CTX prophage were first isolated in Mozambique in 2004...
- Genotypic and phenotypic characterization of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 isolates circulating in pregnant women from MozambiqueCelina Monteiro Abreu
Departamento de Genetica, Laboratorio de Virologia Molecular, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, CEP 21944 970, RJ, Brazil
Arch Virol 153:2013-7. 2008..subtypes from different geographic regions and phenotypic data from drug-naïve HIV-positive pregnant women from Mozambique. We analyzed 75 pol sequences from patients and the distribution of the subtypes in three regions of Mozambique ..
- Vitamin A deficiency and child mortality in MozambiqueVictor M Aguayo
UNICEF Regional Office for West and Central Africa, Dakar Yoff, Senegal
Public Health Nutr 8:29-31. 2005..In areas where vitamin A deficiency (VAD) is prevalent, vitamin A repletion reduces child mortality by 23% on average...
- Mapping malaria incidence distribution that accounts for environmental factors in Maputo Province--MozambiqueOrlando P Zacarias
Department of Mathematics and Informatics DMI, Eduardo Mondlane University and Department of Computer and System Sciences DSV, Stockholm University, Sweden
Malar J 9:79. 2010The objective was to study if an association exists between the incidence of malaria and some weather parameters in tropical Maputo province, Mozambique.
- Milking the cow: young women's construction of identity and risk in age-disparate transactional sexual relationships in Maputo, MozambiqueK Hawkins
Centre for Development Studies, Head of the Participatory Evaluation and Research Unit Options Consultancy Services Ltd, London, UK
Glob Public Health 4:169-82. 2009..construction of social identity and risk within age-disparate transactional sexual relationships in Maputo, Mozambique. Peer ethnography, a rapid approach derived from the anthropological method and based upon training members of ..
- Five years of large-scale dhfr and dhps mutation surveillance following the phased implementation of artesunate plus sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine in Maputo Province, Southern MozambiqueJaishree Raman
Malaria Research Programme, Medical Research Council, 491 Ridge Road, Durban, 4067, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa
Am J Trop Med Hyg 82:788-94. 2010..surveillance for these resistance markers was conducted annually at 26 sentinel sites in Maputo Province, Mozambique, before and after the phased deployment of artesunate plus SP (AS-SP), with 15,758 children sampled between 2004 ..
- Feasibility of a mass vaccination campaign using a two-dose oral cholera vaccine in an urban cholera-endemic setting in MozambiquePhilippe Cavailler
Epicentre, Paris, France
Vaccine 24:4890-5. 2006..of a mass vaccination campaign using a two-dose oral cholera vaccine in an urban endemic neighbourhood of Beira, Mozambique. The campaign was conducted from December 2003 to January 2004...
- Group-based citizenship in the acceptance of indoor residual spraying (IRS) for malaria control in MozambiqueCatherine M Montgomery
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT, United Kingdom
Soc Sci Med 70:1648-55. 2010..We discuss the implications of this 'passive' form of compliance for the acceptability and sustainability of malaria control and other public health programmes...
- Unsafe sexual behaviour among schoolgirls in Mozambique: a matter of gender and classJ Z Machel
Reprod Health Matters 9:82-90. 2001This study seeks to examine the reasons why young women aged 14-20 in Maputo, Mozambique were engaging in risky sexual behaviour, and to ascertain whether the spread of HIV is due to socioeconomic factors and/or patriarchal beliefs and ..
- Promises and challenges of faith-based AIDS care and support in MozambiqueVictor Agadjanian
School of Social and Family Dynamics and the Center for Population Dynamics, Arizona State University, Tempe 85287 3701, USA
Am J Public Health 97:362-6. 2007..We sought to examine the role of religious organizations in the provision of HIV/AIDS-related assistance in Africa...
- Plasmodium falciparum-specific cellular immune responses after immunization with the RTS,S/AS02D candidate malaria vaccine in infants living in an area of high endemicity in MozambiqueArnoldo Barbosa
Centro de Investigação en Saúde de Manhiça, Manhiça, Mozambique
Infect Immun 77:4502-9. 2009..components in infants under 1 year of age participating in a clinical phase I/IIb trial of RTS,S/AS02D in Mozambique. Circumsporozoite protein (CSP)-specific responses were detected in approximately half of RTS,S-immunized ..
- Impact of maternal human immunodeficiency virus infection on birth outcomes and infant survival in rural MozambiqueDenise Naniche
Barcelona Center for International Health Research, Hospital Clinic, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Am J Trop Med Hyg 80:870-6. 2009..effect of maternal human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection on birth outcomes and infant survival in rural Mozambique. Pregnant women attending the antenatal clinic were recruited...
- Private demand for cholera vaccines in Beira, MozambiqueMarcelino E S Lucas
Ministry of Science and Technology, Maputo, Mozambique
Vaccine 25:2599-609. 2007In the summer of 2005, we interviewed 996 randomly selected respondents in Beira, Mozambique concerning their willingness and ability to pay for cholera vaccine for themselves and for other household members...
- A population study of endomyocardial fibrosis in a rural area of MozambiqueAna Olga Mocumbi
Imperial College London, London
N Engl J Med 359:43-9. 2008....
- Pediatric highly active antiretroviral therapy in Mozambique: an integrated model of careM C Marazzi
LUMSA University, Rome, Italy
Minerva Pediatr 58:483-90. 2006..To test the impact of a public health model to implement HIV pediatric care in Limited Resource Settings...
- Plasmodium falciparum multiple infections in Mozambique, its relation to other malariological indices and to prospective risk of malaria morbidityAlfredo Mayor
Centro de Investigaçao em Saúde da Manhiça CISM Ministerio de Saúde, Maputo, Mozambique
Trop Med Int Health 8:3-11. 2003..We describe the frequency of Plasmodium falciparum clones infecting individuals living in a rural area of southern Mozambique and analyse the relationship between multiplicity of infection, age and other malariometric indices, including ..
- Use of replacement blood donors to study the epidemiology of major blood-borne viruses in the general population of Maputo, MozambiqueLina Cunha
Gastroenterology Department, Central Hospital, Maputo, Mozambique
J Med Virol 79:1832-40. 2007..leukemia/lymphoma virus (HTLV), hepatitis B virus (HBV), hepatitis D virus (HDV), and hepatitis C virus (HCV) in Mozambique are poorly documented. The epidemiology of these infections was studied in the Maputo region...
- Environmental Vibrio spp., isolated in Mozambique, contain a polymorphic group of integrative conjugative elements and class 1 integronsElisa Taviani
Center of Marine Biotechnology, University of Maryland Biotechnology Institute, Baltimore, MD, USA
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 64:45-54. 2008..Vibrio strains isolated from surface urban water (river and sea) and shellfish samples in 2002-2003 in Maputo, Mozambique. Class 1 integrons and integrating conjugative elements (ICE) were investigated by PCR and mating experiments in ..
- Patterns of anti-tuberculosis drug resistance among HIV-infected patients in Maputo, Mozambique, 2002-2003E A Nunes
Departamento de Medicina, Universidade Eduardo Mondlane, Maputo
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 9:494-500. 2005Two tuberculosis (TB) reference hospitals in Maputo, Mozambique.
- Prevalence and risk factors of porcine cysticercosis in Angónia District, MozambiqueAlberto Pondja
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Eduardo Mondlane University, Maputo, Mozambique
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 4:e594. 2010..Because data on the epidemiology of porcine cysticercosis in Mozambique are scarce, the present study was conducted to determine the prevalence and risk factors for porcine ..
- Nevirapine-induced hepatotoxicity and pharmacogenetics: a retrospective study in a population from MozambiqueCinzia Ciccacci
Department of Biopathology and Diagnostic Imaging, Section of Genetics, Tor Vergata University, Rome, Italy
Pharmacogenomics 11:23-31. 2010..Nevirapine is widely used to treat HIV-1 infection to prevent mother-to-child transmission; unfortunately adverse drug reactions have been reported. Our aim was to identify genes/variants involved in nevirapine-induced hepatotoxicity...
- Choice of antibiotics for infection prophylaxis in emergency cesarean sections in low-income countries: a cost-benefit study in MozambiqueVicente Kayihura
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Maputo Central Hospital, Maputo, Mozambique
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 82:636-41. 2003..There is a need to assess the cost-benefit of different models of antibiotic administration for the prevention of post cesarean infection, particularly in resource-scarce settings...
- Genetic confirmation of quinine-resistant Plasmodium falciparum malaria followed by postmalaria neurological syndrome in a traveler from MozambiqueFabrizio Palmieri
Istituto Nazionale per le Malattie Infettive Lazzo Spallanzani, Rome, Italy
J Clin Microbiol 42:5424-6. 2004..falciparum isolate obtained by analysis of msp1 and msp2 amplicons revealed the coexistence of two genotypes causing the first malaria episode and the presence of a unique isolate responsible for the recurrence...
- Serotype distribution and antibiotic susceptibility of invasive and nasopharyngeal isolates of Streptococcus pneumoniae among children in rural MozambiqueXavier Valles
Centre de Salut Internacional Hospital Clínic IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
Trop Med Int Health 11:358-66. 2006To describe and compare serotype distribution and antibiotic susceptibility of invasive and nasopharyngeal isolates of Streptococcus pneumoniae from children in rural Mozambique.
- Prevalence of severe mental and neurological disorders in Mozambique: a population-based surveyVikram Patel
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Lancet 370:1055-60. 2007The scarcity of information about the mental and neurological health of people in Mozambique has hindered policymaking and investment...
- Modified directly observed therapy to facilitate highly active antiretroviral therapy adherence in Beira, Mozambique. Development and implementationCynthia R Pearson
Department of Health Services, School of Public Health, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195 1525, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 43:S134-41. 2006..approach to describe the process of implementing mDOT for an ongoing randomized control trial (RCT) in Beira, Mozambique. Interviews with clinic staff, mDOT peers, and participants provided information on design elements, problems ..
- Insecticide resistance in Anopheles arabiensis and Anopheles gambiae from MozambiqueS Casimiro
National Malaria Control Program, National Direction of Health, Av Eduardo Mondlane Salvador Allende, P O Box 264, Maputo, Mozambique
J Med Entomol 43:276-82. 2006Malaria control in the southern part of Mozambique is currently by indoor residual spraying with a carbamate insecticide and by pyrethroid-treated bed-nets distributed to pregnant women and children under five in northern Mozambique...
- Surveillance of acute bacterial meningitis among children admitted to a district hospital in rural MozambiqueA Roca
Centre de Recerca en Salut Internacional de Barcelona, Hospital Clinic Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Infect Dis 48:S172-80. 2009..Acute bacterial meningitis (ABM) remains an important cause of mortality among African children. Epidemiologic data with regard to ABM infection are necessary for prioritizing public health interventions...
- A country-wide malaria survey in Mozambique. I. Plasmodium falciparum infection in children in different epidemiological settingsSamuel Mabunda
National Malaria Control Programme, Maputo, Mozambique
Malar J 7:216. 2008..The last comprehensive evaluation of the malaria situation in Mozambique was carried out during the 1950s...
- A food-based approach introducing orange-fleshed sweet potatoes increased vitamin A intake and serum retinol concentrations in young children in rural MozambiqueJan W Low
International Potato Centre, Nairobi, Kenya 00603
J Nutr 137:1320-7. 2007..In an extremely resource poor area in Mozambique, the effectiveness of introduction of OFSP was assessed in an integrated agriculture and nutrition intervention, ..
- School-based iron and folic acid supplementation for adolescent girls: findings from Manica Province, MozambiquePeter Horjus
Helen Keller International, Avenida Tomas Nduda 1489 CP 1854, Maputo, Mozambique
Food Nutr Bull 26:281-6. 2005The 1997 Demographic and Health Survey in Mozambique shows that 47% of girls 15 to 19 years old living in Manica province (west-central Mozambique) are pregnant or have already had a child...
- Medicines without Doctors: in Mozambique, salaries are not the biggest problemWouter Arrázola de Oñate
PLoS Med 4:e236. 2007
- Determinants of social inequalities in child mortality in Mozambique: what do we know? What could be done?Gloria Macassa
Department of Public Health Sciences, Division of Social Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Afr J Health Sci 13:139-43. 2006..This review of evidence suggests that if Mozambique is to achieve the millennium development goals (MDGs) by 2015 further research on important determinants of ..
- Analysis of the operational costs of using rapid syphilis tests for the detection of maternal syphilis in Bolivia and MozambiqueCarol E Levin
PATH, 1455 NW Leary Way, Seattle, WA 98107, USA
Sex Transm Dis 34:S47-54. 2007..The objective of this study was to compare the costs of antenatal syphilis screening with the rapid plasma reagin (RPR) test and the immunochromatographic strip (ICS) test in low-resource settings...
- Monitoring source and domestic water quality in parallel with sanitary risk identification in northern Mozambique to prioritise protection interventionsAidan A Cronin
Robens Centre for Public and Environmental Health, Building AW Floor 2, University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey GU2 7XH, UK
J Water Health 4:333-45. 2006Microbiological water quality monitoring in Niassa province, Northern Mozambique, shows groundwater is not, in general, grossly contaminated though contamination levels are strongly linked to season and to risks observable at the wellhead,..
- HIV-1 genetic diversity and transmitted drug resistance in health care settings in Maputo, MozambiqueInês Bártolo
Unidade dos Retrovirus e Infecções Associadas, Centro de Patogenese Molecular, Faculdade de Farmácia de Lisboa, 1649 019 Lisbon, Portugal
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 51:323-31. 2009To characterize HIV-1 diversity and transmitted drug resistance in persons with access to care and treatment in Maputo, Mozambique.
- Who is excluded when abortion access is restricted to twelve weeks? Evidence from Maputo, MozambiqueMomade Bay Ustá
Eduardo Modalane University School of Medicine, Maputo, Mozambique
Reprod Health Matters 16:14-7. 2008In Mozambique, since 1985, induced abortion services up to 12 weeks of pregnancy are performed in the interest of protecting women's health. We asked whether any women were being adversely affected by the 12-week limit...
- Somatic growth of a school-aged population from Mozambique: trend and biosocial meaningA Prista
Faculty of Physical Education and Sports Sciences, Universidade Pedagogica, Maputo, Mozambique
Hum Biol 77:457-70. 2005A cross-sectional study of children and adolescents from Maputo, Mozambique, was carried out in order to (1) describe the current growth status of children and adolescents from Maputo, (2) evaluate the relative status of the growth and ..
- Respiratory syncytial virus infection: denominator-based studies in Indonesia, Mozambique, Nigeria and South AfricaSusan E Robertson
Vaccines and Biologicals, Department of Immunization, World Health Organization, 1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland
Bull World Health Organ 82:914-22. 2004..To assess the burden of respiratory syncytial virus (RSV)-associated lower respiratory infections (LRI) in children in four developing countries...
- Post-flood--infectious diseases in MozambiqueHisayoshi Kondo
Department of Emergency and Critical Care Medicine, Nippon Medical School
Prehosp Disaster Med 17:126-33. 2002..The Japan Disaster Relief (JDR) Medical Team was sent to Mozambique where a flood disaster occurred during January to March 2000...
- Gestational diabetes mellitus and fetal death in Mozambique: an incident case-referent studyKenneth Challis
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Sundsvall Hospital, Sweden
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 81:560-3. 2002Third trimester fetal death is a common problem in Mozambique, occurring in approximately 5% of parturient women.
- The promotion of condom use in non-regular sexual partnerships in urban MozambiqueS Agha
Population Services International, Washington, DC 20036, USA
Health Policy Plan 16:144-51. 2001This study uses data from a representative sample of sexually active adults in urban Mozambique to examine the effectiveness of the JeitO condom social marketing (CSM) project in increasing condom use among men and women at risk of ..
- Treatment partners and adherence to HAART in Central MozambiqueB A Stubbs
Department of Epidemiology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
AIDS Care 21:1412-9. 2009..In Central Mozambique, an innovative program was implemented, using community-based (trained community activists) and self-selected (..
- International NGOs and the role of network centrality in humanitarian aid operations: a case study of coordination during the 2000 Mozambique floodsSpencer Moore
Centre for Health and Policy Studies, Department of Community Health Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, G230 Health Sciences Bldg, 3330 Hospital Dr NW, Calgary, AB T2N 4N1, Canada
Disasters 27:305-18. 2003In February 2000, Mozambique suffered its worst flooding in almost 50 years: 699 people died and hundreds of thousands were displaced. Over 49 countries and 30 international non-governmental organisations provided humanitarian assistance...
- Assessing immunization data quality from routine reports in MozambiqueJoão C Mavimbe
Faculty of Medicine, Eduardo Mondlane University, Maputo, Mozambique
BMC Public Health 5:108. 2005..The present article, discusses the practices on record keeping, reporting and the support mechanism to ensure data quality in Mozambique.
- Comparison of eucalyptus camaldulensis Dehn. oils from Mozambique as obtained by hydrodistillation and supercritical carbon dioxide extractionJ da Cruz Francisco
Department of Food Technology, Lund University, S 221 00 Lund Sweden
J Agric Food Chem 49:2339-42. 2001Leaf oils of E. camaldulensis Dehn. from Mozambique obtained by hydrodistillation and by supercritical carbon dioxide extraction under different conditions were compared with regard to their major components...
- Improving emergency obstetric care in Mozambique: the story of SofalaC Santos
International Center for AIDS Care and Treatment Program, Maputo, Mozambique
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 94:190-201. 2006....
- Measles-specific neutralizing antibodies in rural Mozambique: seroprevalence and presence in breast milkInácio M Mandomando
Centro de Investigação em Saúde da Manhiça, Manhiça, Mozambique Instituto Nacional de Saúde, Ministerio de Saude, Maputo, Mozambique
Am J Trop Med Hyg 79:787-92. 2008In Mozambique, as in many sub-Saharan countries, measles remains a public health problem...
- Pathogenic enteric Escherichia coli in children with and without diarrhea in Maputo, MozambiquePaola Rappelli
Dipartimento di Scienze Biomediche, Divisione di Microbiologia Sperimentale e Clinica, Universita di Sassari, Viale S Pietro 43 B, Sassari, Italy
FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 43:67-72. 2005..first group (548 children) suffered from mild diarrhea and attended the Xipamanine Health Center of Maputo, in Mozambique. The second group (380 children) included randomly chosen, asymptomatic, children from the same population...
- AIDS-related knowledge and behaviors in MozambiqueA Font
Agencia de Salud Pública de Barcelona, Plaza Lesseps 1, E 08023 Barcelona
Rev Epidemiol Sante Publique 54:341-54. 2006The objective of this study was to describe attitudes and knowledge about AIDS among the population aged 15 to 49 in Chókwè (Mozambique) during the period from March to May 2004, and to study associated factors.
- Canine filariosis caused by Dirofilaria immitis in Mozambique: a small survey based on the identification of microfilariaeE V Schwan
Department of Veterinary Tropical Diseases, Faculty of Veterinary Science, University of Pretoria, Private Bag X04, Onderstepoort 0110, South Africa
J S Afr Vet Assoc 73:124-6. 2002Dirofilaria immitis was diagnosed in 4 of 13 indigenous dogs from the Province of Zambézia, Mozambique, by acid phosphatase staining of microfilariae...
- Community response to intermittent preventive treatment delivered to infants (IPTi) through the EPI system in Manhiça, MozambiqueRobert Pool
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK, and Center for International Health, Hospital Clinic, IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
Trop Med Int Health 11:1670-8. 2006..In particular, whether the introduction of IPTi negatively affects community attitudes to, or use of, EPI; or, conversely, whether and if so how, the concurrent delivery of IPTi and immunization influences perceptions of IPTi...
- hAT element population genetics in Anopheles gambiae s.l. in MozambiqueDAVID A O'BROCHTA
Center for Biosystems Research, University of Maryland Biotechnology Institute, Building 036 Room 5115, College Park, MD 20742, USA
Genetica 127:185-98. 2006..s., Anopheles arabiensis and Anopheles merus in Mozambique over a period of 2 years...
- Self-reported food and drug allergy in Maputo, MozambiqueN Lunet
Department of Hygiene and Epidemiology, University of Porto Medical School, Portugal
Public Health 119:587-9. 2005
- Women's choice between indigenous and Western contraception in urban MozambiqueV Agadjanian
Department of Sociology, Arizona State University, Tempe 85287 2101, USA
Women Health 28:1-17. 1998..Based on qualitative data collected in Greater Maputo, Mozambique, in 1993, this study explores and analyzes women's choice between western methods-mainly oral contraceptives, ..
- Epidemiology and clinical presentation of shigellosis in children less than five years of age in rural MozambiqueInacio Mandomando
Centro de Investigação em Saúde da Manhiça, IDIBAPS Hospital Clinic, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Pediatr Infect Dis J 26:1059-61. 2007..7% versus 0.4%, P = 0.004), and from dysentery than nondysenteric diarrhea (24.1% versus 3.5%, P < 0.001). Shigella flexneri 2a, S. sonnei, and S. flexneri 6, were the most prevalent serotypes...
- Comparative thyroidology: thyroid gland location and iodothyronine dynamics in Mozambique tilapia (Oreochromis mossambicus Peters) and common carp (Cyprinus carpio L.)Edwin J W Geven
Department of Animal Physiology, Faculty of Science, Radboud University Nijmegen, Toernooiveld 1, 6525 ED Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Exp Biol 210:4005-15. 2007..In Mozambique tilapia (Oreochromis mossambicus) thyroid activity is, indeed, restricted to the subpharyngeal region; in common ..
- Characteristics and treatment outcomes of leprosy patients detected during a leprosy elimination campaign in Mozambique compared with routinely detected patientsC Phaff
National Program for Leprosy and Tuberculosis Control in Northern Mozambique, Netherlands Leprosy Relief, Nampula, Mozambique
Lepr Rev 74:229-39. 2003..determinant for diagnostic characteristics and treatment outcome of newly diagnosed leprosy patients in Northern Mozambique. This is a retrospective cohort study of 3202 patients on the differences between entrance characteristics and ..
- Monitoring the operational impact of insecticide usage for malaria control on Anopheles funestus from MozambiqueSonia L R Casimiro
National Institute of Health, Av Eduardo Mondlane Salvador Allende, Maputo, Mozambique, P O Box 264, Liverpool, UK
Malar J 6:142. 2007..DDT was re-introduced into Mozambique's IRS programme in 2005 and is increasingly becoming the main insecticide used for malaria vector control in ..
- Community incidences of respiratory infections in an actively followed cohort of children <1 year of age in Manhiça, a rural area of southern MozambiqueA Roca
Centre de Salut Internacional Hospital Clínic IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
Trop Med Int Health 11:373-80. 2006To estimate the community incidence-rates of respiratory infections among infants in Manhiça, southern Mozambique, and to determine risk factors associated with these infections.
- Genetic characterization of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 from Beira, MozambiqueRicardo Parreira
UEI de Virologia UPMM, Instituto de Higiene e Medicina Tropical, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Rua da Junqueira 96, P 1349 008 Lisbon, Portugal
Microbes Infect 8:2442-51. 2006..the genetic diversity of HIV-1 strains circulating in the city of Beira, the second largest metropolitan area in Mozambique. A total of 131 blood samples, collected between August and October 2003 from antiretroviral-naïve individuals, ..
- Point-of-care telemedicine units for surveillance of infectious diseasesKarin Nielsen; Fiscal Year: 2010..Units in Brazil (Conceicao/Tropical Institute), the UCLA clinic in Lilongwe, Malawi, and the Dream program in Mozambique. PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: "LUCAS" is highly innovative and can be used at extremely low cost by unskilled ..
- International Epidemiologic Databases to Evaluate AIDS-Southern Africa (IeDEA-SA)Matthias Egger; Fiscal Year: 2013..Methods: 20 urban and rural ART programs from 7 countries (Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Republic of South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe) with follow-up up to 10 years will pool data to create a database ..
- AIDS INTERNATIONAL TRAINING AND RESEARCH PROGRAMCarey Farquhar; Fiscal Year: 2012..During the last 15 years, training efforts have focused on 4 target countries, Kenya, Peru, Mozambique, and Thailand, and 96% of trainees from these countries have returned to their home countries where they now ..
- Vanderbilt University-CIDRZ AIDS International Training and Research ProgramSten H Vermund; Fiscal Year: 2013..since 1998), Pakistan (since 1994), India (since 2000), China (since 2000), and our newest partnership in Mozambique (VU training partnership since 2006 and developmental AITRP engagement since 2007)...
- AIDS INTERNATIONAL TRAINING AND RESEARCH PROGRAMLee H Harrison; Fiscal Year: 2013..An exciting change in our program is the addition of a site in Beira, Mozambique, which has striking training needs and where Pitt has established close collaborations with the Universidade ..
- Low Cost Laser Diagnostic for CD4+ T Cell CountingMichael J Lochhead; Fiscal Year: 2013..clinics affiliated with the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) Medical Center and in Maputo, Mozambique. Supporting this effort we have established strong clinical collaborations with global health thought leaders...
- Biomedical Research Informatics for Global Health Training (BRIGHT) ProgramLucila Ohno-Machado; Fiscal Year: 2013..in Sao Paulo evolve, we plan to extend their reach outside the city, to northern areas of Brazil and to Maputo, Mozambique. We propose a program that will: (1) Train Brazil's and Mozambique's future scientific leaders to be ..
- Childbearing Dynamics in Setting of High HIV Prevalence and Massive ART rolloutVictor Agadjanian; Fiscal Year: 2012..research team's previous work (R21HD048257, Agadjanian PI) in four contiguous rural districts of southern Mozambique, an area of precipitous erosion of traditional agrarian livelihoods, massive labor mobility, profound changes in ..
- Early ART initiation among HIV-positive pregnant women in central MozambiqueJAMES T PFEIFFER; Fiscal Year: 2013..transmission (PMTCT) have been scaled-up and integrated into antenatal care in the national health system across Mozambique. In 2004, scale-up of anti-retroviral treatment (ART) also began in Mozambique and is now provided at hundreds ..
- Global Institutions and the Politics of International DisabilityRAYMOND PAUL LANG; Fiscal Year: 2013..Drawing upon original research conducted by the author in Nigeria, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Malawi, Swaziland and Namibia, between 2007-2009, this book will argue that disability needs to be addressed ..
- Shared Distributed Learning for Developing Medical Informatics Capacity in AfricaMaurice Mars; Fiscal Year: 2013..informatics in Africa through a Pan African collaborative initiative in which participating institutions in Mozambique, Uganda, South Africa and Zimbabwe will co-operate and work together...
- International Training in Injury Control ResearchScott M Sasser; Fiscal Year: 2010..application seeks to establish a training program in trauma care and injury control research in the Republic of Mozambique. It is built on a preexisting partnership between a US University (Emory University) and a Mozambican University ..
- HEALTH SYSTEMS STRENGTHENING TO IMPROVE HEALTH OUTCOMES: APPLYING IMPLEMENTATIONKenneth Sherr; Fiscal Year: 2013..Foundation's African Health Initiative, is to improve health outcomes in 13 districts in Sofala province, Mozambique, through strengthened health systems and delivery of integrated primary health care...
- Systems Analysis and Improvement to Optimize pMTCT: A Cluster Randomized TrialKenneth Sherr; Fiscal Year: 2013..delivery approaches associated with high and low performing pMTCT services in Cote d'Ivoire, Kenya and Mozambique. In specific aim 2 we will adapt evaluate the feasibility and impact of a systems analysis tool and associated ..
- Insecticide resistance in Africa Malaria mosquitoesMaureen Coetzee; Fiscal Year: 2004The problem of malaria vector control in South Africa and southern Mozambique has recently become a serious issue. Compounding factors include the following...
- The Universidade Eduardo Mondlane/UCSD Medical Education PartnershipEMILIA VIRGINIA NOORMAHOMED; Fiscal Year: 2013..Diego (UCSD) is directed at developing strategies for building sustainable surgical capacity in rural areas of Mozambique. The project will build on an already strong collaboration between UEM and UCSD medical schools and use ..
- The Universidade Eduardo Mondlane/UCSD Medical Education PartnershipEMILIA VIRGINIA NOORMAHOMED; Fiscal Year: 2013..Medical Education Partnership is substantially increase the number of highly skilled medical school faculty in Mozambique. We will emphasize the development of a powerful but locally sustainable biomedical informatics infrastructure ..
- The Economic Cost of Malaria in AfricaAndrew Spielman; Fiscal Year: 2002..a program undertaken by three governments of southern Africa to develop regions of KwaZulu Natal, Swaziland and Mozambique for tourism, industrial investment, and agriculture...
- Organized Religion and HIV/AIDS in MozambiqueVictor Agadjanian; Fiscal Year: 2004..religion and knowledge, attitudes, and practices related to HIV/AIDS in urban and rural areas of southern Mozambique. The project will focus on religious congregations representing the following religions and denominations: ..
- Development of novel resistance management strategiesJanet Hemingway; Fiscal Year: 2007..field part of the program will determine whether we can drive back the current pyrethroid resistance front in Mozambique, that extends down into South Africa, using an annual insecticide rotation strategy...
- AIDS Control Within A Research Endeavor-A.W.A.R.EAURELIO DA CRUZ GOMES; Fiscal Year: 2004b>Mozambique has an explosion of new HIV/AIDS infections, with obvious catastrophic future consequences for one of the poorest countries in the world...
- Religious Organizations and HIV/AIDS Prevention and CareVictor Agadjanian; Fiscal Year: 2009..The project will be carried out in a rural district of southern Mozambique and will include a representative household-based survey of women aged 18-50 and a parallel institutional survey ..
- Ethnicity, Marriage, and Fertility in KazakhstanVictor Agadjanian; Fiscal Year: 2005..The proposed project will constitute a necessary initial step toward a more comprehensive study of sociodemographic adjustments to dramatic societal changes and will therefore lead to a subsequent NIH application. ..
- Men's Migration and Women's HIV/AIDS Risks in MozambiqueVictor Agadjanian; Fiscal Year: 2007..The project will be conducted in the south of Mozambique, an area with high levels of labor out-migration and rising HIV prevalence...
- WAR, FORCED MIGRATION, AND HIV/AIDS RISKS IN ANGOLAVictor Agadjanian; Fiscal Year: 2005..To achieve these objectives survey and qualitative data will be collected in two peri-urban municipalities of Luanda--one populated mainly by IDPs and another populated mainly by non-IDPs. ..
- Pentecostalism & Utilization of HIV/AIDS Treatment Services in Central MozambiqueJAMES T PFEIFFER; Fiscal Year: 2008..DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): HIV/AIDS testing and Antiretroviral Treatment have been scaled up in Mozambique over the last several years in Mozambique through the National Health System...
- Effects of Employment on Fertility after the First BirthSARAH HAYFORD; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- BACTERIAL LIVE VECTOR-BASED VACCINE AGAINST MALARIAMyron Levine; Fiscal Year: 2004..falciparum, and by these effects working in concert, we will ultimately be able to prevent disease completely in some subjects and to markedly ameliorate disease severity in others. ..
- Genetic Manipulation of InsectsDAVID O BROCHTA; Fiscal Year: 2004..The meeting is an uncommon opportunity for graduate students and postdoctoral fellows to obtain a high level synopsis of the field of insect molecular genetics and to make important career-advancing interactions. ..
- ENVIRONMENTAL AND MOLECULAR EPIDEMIOLOGY OF P CARINIISten Vermund; Fiscal Year: 2001..The long-term objective of this research is to prevent the transmission of PC in the health care as well as the home setting, thereby reducing the risk of PC infection among immunosuppressed individuals. ..
- Measuring Incident Human Immonodeficiency Virus (HIV-1) Infections in ChinaSten Vermund; Fiscal Year: 2008..Whether we pursue option 1 or 2 will depend upon the results of Specific Aim 1. Year two of this R03 award will be in the pursuit of option 1 or 2, as the science dictates. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- RECOMBINANT & LIVE ORAL SALMONELLA TYPHI HYBRID VACCINESMyron Levine; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Cervical Cancer Screening in HIV-infected women in IndiaSten Vermund; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- HOBO-LIKE ELEMENTS IN INSECTSDAVID O BROCHTA; Fiscal Year: 2008..gambiae populations, 3) develop Herves into a mosquito gene vector. These aims will be accomplished by performing a combination of laboratory and field-based studies using molecular and population genetics tools. ..
- Estimation Models for HIV/AIDS in ChinaSten Vermund; Fiscal Year: 2006..We intend to use the findings to help the China CDC establishing a better estimation model for HIV/AIDS. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Ecology, genetics and physiology of insect vectorsElliot Krafsur; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Partner Violence Norms and HIV Risk-Taking Among Youth in Sub-Saharan AfricaIlene Speizer; Fiscal Year: 2008..The information from this study can be used to make recommendations on strategies to reduce youth violence risk with the underlying objective of strengthening HIV prevention programs for youth. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Tn5 as an insect genomics toolDAVID O BROCHTA; Fiscal Year: 2002..gambiae make this is a high risk project but one whose impact on the field of medical entomology and efforts to control the transmission of malaria will be enormous if it is successful. ..