Genomes and Genes
Summary: A republic in eastern Africa, south of SUDAN and east of KENYA. Its capital is Kampala. In 1894 it was formally proclaimed a British protectorate but became independent in 1966. Its name is Swahili, u, land + Ganda, the name of its indigenous people, the land of the Ganda. The origin of their name is unknown. (From Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1992, p1244 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, 1992, p562)
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH1
Publications369 found, 100 shown here
- Male circumcision for HIV prevention in men in Rakai, Uganda: a randomised trialRonald H Gray
Johns Hopkins University, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21215, USA
Lancet 369:657-66. 2007..Ecological and observational studies suggest that male circumcision reduces the risk of HIV acquisition in men. Our aim was to investigate the effect of male circumcision on HIV incidence in men...
- Newly discovered ebola virus associated with hemorrhagic fever outbreak in UgandaJonathan S Towner
Special Pathogens Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, United States of America
PLoS Pathog 4:e1000212. 2008..In November 2007, HF cases were reported in Bundibugyo District, Western Uganda. Laboratory investigation of the initial 29 suspect-case blood specimens by classic methods (antigen capture, IgM ..
- Variation in malaria transmission intensity in seven sites throughout UgandaPaul Edward Okello
Epidemiological Surveillance Division, Ministry of Health, Kampala, Uganda
Am J Trop Med Hyg 75:219-25. 2006..However, in Uganda, recent information on malaria transmission intensity is lacking...
- Changes in sexual behavior and risk of HIV transmission after antiretroviral therapy and prevention interventions in rural UgandaRebecca Bunnell
CDC Uganda, Global AIDS Program, National Center for HIV, STD and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
AIDS 20:85-92. 2006..The impact of antiretroviral therapy (ART) on sexual risk behavior and HIV transmission among HIV-infected persons in Africa is unknown...
- Rates of virological failure in patients treated in a home-based versus a facility-based HIV-care model in Jinja, southeast Uganda: a cluster-randomised equivalence trialShabbar Jaffar
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Lancet 374:2080-9. 2009..Identification of new ways to increase access to antiretroviral therapy in Africa is an urgent priority. We assessed whether home-based HIV care was as effective as was facility-based care...
- Reproductive intentions and outcomes among women on antiretroviral therapy in rural Uganda: a prospective cohort studyJaco Homsy
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Global AIDS Program, National Center for HIV, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention, Entebbe, Uganda
PLoS ONE 4:e4149. 2009..trends in desire for children and predictors of pregnancy among a cohort of 733 HIV-infected women in rural Uganda who initiated ART between May 2003 and May 2004 and were followed up in their homes until June 2006...
- Group interpersonal psychotherapy for depression in rural Uganda: a randomized controlled trialPaul Bolton
Center for International, Emergency, Disaster and Refugee Studies, Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, USA
JAMA 289:3117-24. 2003..Despite the importance of mental illness in Africa, few controlled intervention trials related to this problem have been published...
- Rates of HIV-1 transmission per coital act, by stage of HIV-1 infection, in Rakai, UgandaMaria J Wawer
Heilbrun Department of Population and Family Health, Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Infect Dis 191:1403-9. 2005..We estimated rates of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-1 transmission per coital act in HIV-discordant couples by stage of infection in the index partner...
- Mortality and loss-to-follow-up during the pre-treatment period in an antiretroviral therapy programme under normal health service conditions in UgandaBarbara Amuron
MRC UVRI Uganda Research Unit on AIDS, Uganda
BMC Public Health 9:290. 2009..The rates of mortality and retention during the pre-treatment period are not well understood. We conducted an observational study to determine these rates...
- Long-term field performance of a polyester-based long-lasting insecticidal mosquito net in rural UgandaAlbert Kilian
Malaria Consortium, Development House, 56 64 Leonard Street EC2A 4JX, London, UK
Malar J 7:49. 2008....
- Malaria case-management under artemether-lumefantrine treatment policy in UgandaDejan Zurovac
Malaria Public Health and Epidemiology Group, KEMRI Wellcome Trust Research Programme, Nairobi, Kenya
Malar J 7:181. 2008..Here the quality of AL case-management is reported from Uganda; approximately one year after AL replaced combination of chloroquine and sulphadoxine-pyrimethamine (CQ+SP) as ..
- Low use of rural maternity services in Uganda: impact of women's status, traditional beliefs and limited resourcesGrace Bantebya Kyomuhendo
Department of Women and Gender Studies, Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda
Reprod Health Matters 11:16-26. 2003In Uganda, lack of resources and skilled staff to improve quality and delivery of maternity services, despite good policies and concerted efforts, have not yielded an increase in utilisation of these services by women or a reduction in ..
- Effect of HIV-1 and increasing immunosuppression on malaria parasitaemia and clinical episodes in adults in rural Uganda: a cohort studyJ Whitworth
Medical Research Council Programme on AIDS, Uganda Virus Research Institute, Entebbe
Lancet 356:1051-6. 2000..An association between HIV-1 and malaria is expected in theory, but has not been convincingly shown in practice. We studied the effects of HIV-1 infection and advancing immunosuppression on falciparum parasitaemia and clinical malaria...
- Insecticide resistance and its association with target-site mutations in natural populations of Anopheles gambiae from eastern UgandaUrvashi Ramphul
Vector Group, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Pembroke Place, Liverpool L3 5QA, UK
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 103:1121-6. 2009..distribution and prevalence of insecticide resistance and its association with target-site mutations in eastern Uganda. Anopheles gambiae s.l...
- Acceptability of evidence-based neonatal care practices in rural Uganda - implications for programmingPeter Waiswa
Makerere University School of Public Health, Kampala, Uganda
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 8:21. 2008..A key concern is whether these internationally recommended practices are acceptable and will be demanded by the target community. We explored the acceptability of these interventions in two rural districts of Uganda.
- Malaria misdiagnosis in Uganda--implications for policy changeJoan Nankabirwa
Malaria Consortium, Africa Regional Office, Kampala, Uganda
Malar J 8:66. 2009In Uganda, like in many other countries traditionally viewed as harbouring very high malaria transmission, the norm has been to recommend that febrile episodes are diagnosed as malaria...
- Rapid diagnostic tests for malaria at sites of varying transmission intensity in UgandaHeidi Hopkins
University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
J Infect Dis 197:510-8. 2008..In Africa, fever is often treated presumptively as malaria, resulting in misdiagnosis and the overuse of antimalarial drugs. Rapid diagnostic tests (RDTs) for malaria may allow improved fever management...
- Prevalence, incidence and mortality associated with tuberculosis in HIV-infected patients initiating antiretroviral therapy in rural UgandaDavid Moore
Global AIDS Program, Us centers for Disease Control and Prevention CDC, Entebbe, Uganda
AIDS 21:713-9. 2007..Tuberculosis (TB) is the leading cause of death among people with HIV in sub-Saharan Africa. Expanding access to antiretroviral therapy (ART) may reduce the burden of TB, but to what extent is unknown...
- Screening for intestinal helminth infection in a semi-urban cohort of pregnant women in UgandaJoseph W Bukusuba
Uganda Virus Research Institute, PO Box 49, Entebbe, Uganda
Trop Doct 34:27-8. 2004
- Decentralization of health systems in Ghana, Zambia, Uganda and the Philippines: a comparative analysis of decision spaceThomas J Bossert
Department of Population and International Health, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Health Policy Plan 17:14-31. 2002This study reviews the experience of decentralization in four developing countries: Ghana, Uganda, Zambia and the Philippines...
- Processes and outcomes of HIV serostatus disclosure to sexual partners among people living with HIV in UgandaRachel King
Global AIDS Program, CDC Uganda, Kampala, Uganda
AIDS Behav 12:232-43. 2008..and describe the process, experiences and outcomes related to disclosure of HIV-infected men and women in Eastern Uganda, we conducted a study among HIV-infected men and women who were clients of The AIDS Support Organization (TASO) in ..
- Neglected tropical diseases in Uganda: the prospect and challenge of integrated controlJan H Kolaczinski
Malaria Consortium Africa, Sturrock Road, PO Box 8045, Kampala, Uganda
Trends Parasitol 23:485-93. 2007..Using the example of Uganda, this article reviews the geographical and epidemiological bases for integration and assesses the potential ..
- HIV transmission risk behavior among HIV-infected adults in Uganda: results of a nationally representative surveyRebecca Bunnell
Global AIDS Program, National Center for HIV, Hepatitis, STD and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Entebbe, Uganda
AIDS 22:617-24. 2008Evaluate factors associated with HIV transmission risk behavior among HIV-infected adults in Uganda.
- Feasibility and acceptability of artemisinin-based combination therapy for the home management of malaria in four African sitesIkeOluwapo O Ajayi
Malaria Research Laboratories, Institute of Medical Research and Training, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, Nigeria
Malar J 7:6. 2008..The feasibility and acceptability of incorporating ACT in HMM needs to be evaluated...
- Increased risk of incident HIV during pregnancy in Rakai, Uganda: a prospective studyRonald H Gray
Johns Hopkins University, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, USA
Lancet 366:1182-8. 2005..HIV acquisition is significantly higher during pregnancy than in the postpartum period. We did a prospective study to estimate HIV incidence rates during pregnancy and lactation...
- Gastrointestinal bacterial transmission among humans, mountain gorillas, and livestock in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, UgandaInnocent B Rwego
Makerere University, Department of Zoology, P O Box 7062, Kampala, Uganda
Conserv Biol 22:1600-7. 2008..from humans, livestock, and mountain gorillas (Gorilla gorilla beringei) in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, Uganda, from May to August 2005 to examine whether habitat overlap influences rates and patterns of pathogen transmission ..
- In vitro sensitivities of Plasmodium falciparum to different antimalarial drugs in UgandaSamuel L Nsobya
Department of Medicine, Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:1200-6. 2010..falciparum parasites cultured from children enrolled in a drug efficacy trial in Kampala, Uganda, from 2006 to 2008...
- Male circumcision decreases acquisition and increases clearance of high-risk human papillomavirus in HIV-negative men: a randomized trial in Rakai, UgandaRonald H Gray
Department of Population, Family, and Reproductive Health, Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
J Infect Dis 201:1455-62. 2010..HR-HPV clearance was determined in men with prior genotype-specific HR-HPV infections. Rate ratios (RRs) and 95% confidence intervals (CIs) of HR-HPV acquisition were estimated by Poisson multiple regression...
- Asymptomatic serum cryptococcal antigenemia and early mortality during antiretroviral therapy in rural UgandaCheryl A Liechty
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention CDC Uganda, Entebbe, Uganda
Trop Med Int Health 12:929-35. 2007..Cryptococcal meningitis is a leading cause of HIV-related mortality in Africa, but current guidelines do not advocate CRAG testing as a screening tool...
- Plasmodium infection and its risk factors in eastern UgandaRachel L Pullan
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Malar J 9:2. 2010Malaria is a leading cause of disease burden in Uganda, although surprisingly few contemporary, age-stratified data exist on malaria epidemiology in the country...
- Antiretroviral therapy is associated with increased fertility desire, but not pregnancy or live birth, among HIV+ women in an early HIV treatment program in rural UgandaMarissa Maier
Department of Internal Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University, Mail Code OP 30, 3181 S W Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, OR 97239 3098, USA
AIDS Behav 13:28-37. 2009..among HIV-positive Ugandan women aged 18-50 years who attended an HIV clinic at Mbarara University in western Uganda between November 1, 2005 and June 6, 2006. Of 538 women approached, 501 were enrolled...
- Access to and utilisation of health services for the poor in Uganda: a systematic review of available evidenceS N Kiwanuka
Makerere University School of Public Health, Department of Health Policy Planning and Management, Third floor Room 307, P O Box 7072, Kampala, Uganda
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 102:1067-74. 2008Inequalities in the burden of disease and access to health care is a prominent concern in Uganda and other sub-Saharan African countries...
- Utilization of public or private health care providers by febrile children after user fee removal in UgandaElizeus Rutebemberwa
Department of Health Policy Planning and Management, Makerere University School of Public Health, PO Box 7072, Kampala, Uganda
Malar J 8:45. 2009Despite investments in providing free government health services in Uganda, many caretakers still seek treatment from the drug shops/private clinics...
- Delayed care seeking for fatal pneumonia in children aged under five years in Uganda: a case-series studyKarin Kallander
Division of International Health, Department of Public Health Sciences, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Bull World Health Organ 86:332-8. 2008To review individual case histories of children who had died of pneumonia in rural Uganda and to investigate why these children did not survive.
- Evidence of person-to-person transmission of hepatitis E virus during a large outbreak in Northern UgandaEyasu H Teshale
Division of Viral Hepatitis, National Center for HIV, Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 301333, USA
Clin Infect Dis 50:1006-10. 2010..Outbreaks of infection with hepatitis E virus (HEV) are frequently attributed to contaminated drinking water, even if direct evidence for this is lacking...
- Sleeping sickness in Uganda: a thin line between two fatal diseasesKim Picozzi
Centre for Infectious Diseases, Royal Dick School of Veterinary Studies, College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh EH25 9RG
BMJ 331:1238-41. 2005..To determine, through the use of molecular diagnostic tools, whether the two species of parasite that cause human African trypanosomiasis have become sympatric...
- The basic reproductive number of Ebola and the effects of public health measures: the cases of Congo and UgandaG Chowell
Center for Nonlinear Studies MS B258, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM 87545, USA
J Theor Biol 229:119-26. 2004..Using epidemic modeling and data from two well-documented Ebola outbreaks (Congo 1995 and Uganda 2000), we estimate the number of secondary cases generated by an index case in the absence of control ..
- Severe malnutrition with and without HIV-1 infection in hospitalised children in Kampala, Uganda: differences in clinical features, haematological findings and CD4+ cell countsHanifa Bachou
Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, Makerere University Medical School, P O Box 7072, Kampala, Uganda
Nutr J 5:27. 2006..The aim of this study was to describe the clinical features, haematological findings and CD4+ and CD8+ cell counts of severely malnourished children in relation to human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection...
- West Nile virus: Uganda, 1937, to New York City, 1999C G Hayes
Infectious Diseases Directorate, Naval Medical Research Center, Silver Spring, Maryland 20910 7500, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 951:25-37. 2001..This review will attempt to compare observations on the biology of West Nile virus made over about 60 years prior to the recent epidemics to observations made in association with these urban epidemics...
- Factors determining the heterogeneity of malaria incidence in children in Kampala, UgandaTamara D Clark
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
J Infect Dis 198:393-400. 2008..Malaria risk may be heterogeneous in urban areas of Africa. Identifying those at highest risk for malaria may lead to more targeted approaches to malaria control...
- Utilization of a basic care and prevention package by HIV-infected persons in UgandaP Colindres
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
AIDS Care 20:139-45. 2008..provided these interventions to adults and children with HIV who were members of the AIDS Support Organization in Uganda. To evaluate use of this basic care and prevention package, we surveyed a representative sample of 112 clients of ..
- Evaluation of a 5-year programme to prevent mother-to-child transmission of HIV infection in Northern UgandaLaurence Ahoua
Epicentre, Paris, France
J Trop Pediatr 56:43-52. 2010..We analysed 2000-05 data from mother-infant pairs in our PMTCT programme in rural Uganda, examining programme utilization and outcomes, HIV transmission rates and predictors of death or loss to follow-up ..
- Dental caries experience and its relationship to social and behavioural factors among 3-5-year-old children in UgandaS N Kiwanuka
Centre for International Health, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
Int J Paediatr Dent 14:336-46. 2004The aim of this study was to assess the socio-demographic and behavioural correlates of caries experience and sugar intake patterns among pre-school children in Uganda.
- Effect of human immunodeficiency virus Type 1 (HIV-1) subtype on disease progression in persons from Rakai, Uganda, with incident HIV-1 infectionNoah Kiwanuka
Uganda Virus Research Institute, Entebbe, Uganda
J Infect Dis 197:707-13. 2008..Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) subtypes differ in biological characteristics that may affect pathogenicity...
- Interventions for depression symptoms among adolescent survivors of war and displacement in northern Uganda: a randomized controlled trialPaul Bolton
Applied Mental Health Research Group, Center for International Health and Development, Boston University School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
JAMA 298:519-27. 2007Prior qualitative work with internally displaced persons in war-affected northern Uganda showed significant mental health and psychosocial problems.
- Risk factors for recent HIV infection in UgandaJonathan Mermin
Global AIDS Program, National Center for HIV, Viral Hepatitis, STD and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Uganda, Entebbe, Uganda
JAMA 300:540-9. 2008..Studies of factors associated with acquiring human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) are often based on prevalence data that might not reflect recent infections...
- Group interpersonal psychotherapy for depression in rural Uganda: 6-month outcomes: randomised controlled trialJudith Bass
Center for International Health and Development, Boston University School of Public Health, 85 East Concord Street, 5th Floor, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Br J Psychiatry 188:567-73. 2006....
- Circumcision of HIV-infected men: effects on high-risk human papillomavirus infections in a randomized trial in Rakai, UgandaDavid Serwadda
School of Public Health, Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda
J Infect Dis 201:1463-9. 2010In Rakai, Uganda, human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-positive men were randomized to undergo either immediate circumcision (intervention arm) or delayed circumcision (control arm)...
- The impact of helminths on the response to immunization and on the incidence of infection and disease in childhood in Uganda: design of a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, factorial trial of deworming interventions delivered in pregnancy and eAlison M Elliott
Uganda Virus Research Institute, Entebbe, Uganda
Clin Trials 4:42-57. 2007..These effects might develop in utero, through exposure to maternal helminth infections, or through direct exposure in later life...
- Risk factors for helminth, malaria, and HIV infection in pregnancy in Entebbe, UgandaPatrick William Woodburn
MRC UVRI Uganda Research Unit on AIDS, Entebbe, Uganda
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 3:e473. 2009..Infections during pregnancy may have serious consequences for both mother and baby. Assessment of risk factors for infections informs planning of interventions and analysis of the impact of infections on health outcomes...
- Adherence to a six-dose regimen of artemether-lumefantrine for treatment of uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in UgandaCarole Fogg
Epicentre, Paris, France
Am J Trop Med Hyg 71:525-30. 2004..In Mbarara in southwestern Uganda, we assessed adherence to artemether-lumefantrine (Coartem) in its latest World Health Organization blister ..
- Use of antenatal services and delivery care in Entebbe, Uganda: a community surveyCarolyn J Tann
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London, WC1E 7HT, UK
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 7:23. 2007..to facilitate our understanding of the changing use of maternity care services in a semi-urban community in Entebbe Uganda and to examine the range of antenatal and delivery services received in health care facilities and at home.
- Outcomes of cryptococcal meningitis in Uganda before and after the availability of highly active antiretroviral therapyAndrew Kambugu
Infectious Disease Institute, Makerere University, Kampala Uganda
Clin Infect Dis 46:1694-701. 2008..Cryptococcal meningitis (CM) is the proximate cause of death in 20%-30% of persons with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome in Africa...
- Desire for children and pregnancy risk behavior among HIV-infected men and women in UgandaSylvia Nakayiwa
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, CDC Uganda, Uganda Virus Research Institute, P O Box 49, Entebbe, Uganda
AIDS Behav 10:S95-104. 2006..a cross-sectional study of 1,092 HIV-infected men and women attending an AIDS support organization in Jinja, Uganda, between October 2003 and June 2004...
- Circumcision in HIV-infected men and its effect on HIV transmission to female partners in Rakai, Uganda: a randomised controlled trialMaria J Wawer
Department of Population, Family and Reproductive Health, Johns Hopkins University, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Lancet 374:229-37. 2009..We assessed whether circumcision in HIV-infected men would reduce transmission of the virus to female sexual partners...
- Probability of HIV-1 transmission per coital act in monogamous, heterosexual, HIV-1-discordant couples in Rakai, UgandaR H Gray
Departments of Population and Family Health Sciences, School of Hygiene and Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Lancet 357:1149-53. 2001..The probability of HIV-1 transmission per coital act in representative African populations is unknown. We aimed to calculate this probability overall, and to estimate how it is affected by various factors thought to influence infectivity...
- Tuberculosis in household contacts of infectious cases in Kampala, UgandaD Guwatudde
Makerere University Medical School, Kampala, Uganda
Am J Epidemiol 158:887-98. 2003..performed a prospective cohort study of 1,206 household contacts of 302 index cases with tuberculosis enrolled in Uganda between 1995 and 1999...
- Failure of immunologic criteria to appropriately identify antiretroviral treatment failure in UgandaSteven J Reynolds
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
AIDS 23:697-700. 2009..Our objective was to evaluate immunologic failure criteria against gold standard virologic monitoring...
- Efficacy and side effects of praziquantel treatment in a highly endemic Schistosoma mansoni focus at Lake Albert, UgandaN B Kabatereine
Vector Control Division, Ministry of Health, Kampala, Uganda
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 97:599-603. 2003..treatment (40 mg/kg) in a Schistosoma mansoni-endemic focus with long-standing transmission at Lake Albert in Uganda between December 1996 and January 1997...
- Disclosure of HIV status and adherence to daily drug regimens among HIV-infected children in UgandaWinnie Bikaako-Kajura
CDC Uganda, Global AIDS Program, Kampala, Uganda
AIDS Behav 10:S85-93. 2006..taking ART and/or cotrimoxazole prophylaxis, and 42 primary caregivers, at a comprehensive HIV/AIDS clinic in Uganda, we evaluated their adherence experiences for purposes of program improvement...
- The costs and effectiveness of four HIV counseling and testing strategies in UgandaNick Menzies
US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for HIV, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
AIDS 23:395-401. 2009HIV counseling and testing (HCT) is a key intervention for HIV/AIDS control, and new strategies have been developed for expanding coverage in developing countries. We compared costs and outcomes of four HCT strategies in Uganda.
- Voluntary HIV counselling and testing among men in rural western Uganda: implications for HIV preventionFrancis M Bwambale
Clinical Epidemiology Unit, Makerere University, POBox 7072, Kampala, Uganda
BMC Public Health 8:263. 2008..HIV counselling and testing (VCT) is one of the key strategies in the prevention and control of HIV/AIDS in Uganda. However, the utilization of VCT services particularly among men is low in Kasese district...
- Quantifying the level of under-detection of Trypanosoma brucei rhodesiense sleeping sickness casesM Odiit
UACP, Kampala, Uganda
Trop Med Int Health 10:840-9. 2005..the level of under-detection of Trypanosoma brucei rhodesiense sleeping sickness (SS) during an epidemic in Uganda, a decision tree (under-detection) model was developed; concurrently, to quantify the subset of undetected cases ..
- Evaluation of a home-based voluntary counselling and testing intervention in rural UgandaBrent Wolff
Medical Research Council, P O 49, Entebbe, Uganda
Health Policy Plan 20:109-16. 2005Uptake of HIV test results from an annual serosurvey of a population study cohort in rural southwestern Uganda had never exceeded 10% in any given year since inception in 1989...
- Belief in divine healing can be a barrier to antiretroviral therapy adherence in UgandaJane Wanyama
Infectious Disease Institute, Kampala, Uganda
AIDS 21:1486-7. 2007....
- Rapid assessment of Schistosoma mansoni: the validity, applicability and cost-effectiveness of the Lot Quality Assurance Sampling method in UgandaSimon Brooker
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Trop Med Int Health 10:647-58. 2005..mansoni prevalence in Uganda, and explored its applicability and cost-effectiveness...
- Population-based hematologic and immunologic reference values for a healthy Ugandan populationEric S Lugada
Center for International Health, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 11:29-34. 2004..These differences could influence the decision to initiate antiretroviral therapy among children infected with HIV...
- Changing cancer incidence in Kampala, Uganda, 1991-2006Donald Maxwell Parkin
CTSU, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
Int J Cancer 126:1187-95. 2010Incidence rates of different cancers have been calculated for the population of Kyadondo County (Kampala, Uganda) for a 16-year period (1991-2006)...
- Low-cost rapid detection of rifampicin resistant tuberculosis using bacteriophage in Kampala, UgandaHamidou Traore
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London, WC1E 7HT, UK
Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob 6:1. 2007..tuberculosis isolates for resistance to rifampicin. The purpose of this study was to investigate the performance of this technology in Kampala, Uganda.
- Highly active antiretroviral therapy and increased use of contraceptives among HIV-positive women during expanding access to antiretroviral therapy in Mbarara, UgandaIrene Andia
Department of Internal Medicine, Mbarara University of Science and Technology, Mbarara, Uganda
Am J Public Health 99:340-7. 2009We investigated whether the prevalence of contraceptive use among women who are HIV positive varied according to use of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) in Mbarara, Uganda.
- Evaluation of E-optotypes as a screening test and the prevalence and causes of visual loss in a rural population in SW UgandaS M Mbulaiteye
Medical Research Council Programme on AIDS, Uganda Virus Research Institute, Entebbe, Uganda
Ophthalmic Epidemiol 9:251-62. 2002..In the present paper, we describe the prevalence of visual loss in rural Uganda and the screening accuracy of E-optotypes when used by non-medical staff.
- Correlates of unprotected receptive anal intercourse among gay and bisexual men: Kampala, UgandaH Fisher Raymond
HIV Epidemiology Section, San Francisco Department of Public Health, 25 Van Ness Avenue, Suite 500, San Francisco, CA 94102 6033, USA
AIDS Behav 13:677-81. 2009..survey (N = 215) to characterize correlates of risk for HIV infection among gay and bisexual men in Kampala, Uganda. We used RDSAT software to produce population estimates for measures and created exportable weights for ..
- Seeking safety and empathy: adolescent health seeking behavior during pregnancy and early motherhood in central UgandaLynn Atuyambe
Department of Community Health and Behavioral Sciences, Makerere University School of Public Health, Kampala, Uganda
J Adolesc 32:781-96. 2009..This will in long-term have an impact on the reduction of morbidity and mortality among adolescent mothers and their newborns...
- Risk factors for in-hospital mortality of visceral leishmaniasis patients in eastern UgandaYolanda Mueller
Medecins Sans Frontieres, Geneva, Switzerland
Trop Med Int Health 14:910-7. 2009To identify risk factors for in-hospital mortality in patients treated for visceral leishmaniasis (VL) in Uganda.
- Problem drinking among patients attending primary healthcare units in Kampala, UgandaG Kullgren
Department of Clinical Sciences, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Afr J Psychiatry (Johannesbg) 12:52-8. 2009..Few studies have been done in developing countries on this topic. This study sought to determine the prevalence and detection of alcohol related problems in a Primary Health Care setting (PHC). in Kampala Uganda.
- Gains in awareness, ownership and use of insecticide-treated nets in Nigeria, Senegal, Uganda and ZambiaCarol A Baume
Academy for Educational Development, 1825 Connecticut Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20009, USA
Malar J 7:153. 2008..Using national ITN monitoring data from the USAID-sponsored AED/NetMark project, this article examines the extent to which these activities were successful in increasing awareness, ownership, and use of nets and ITNs...
- Safety and effectiveness of amphotericin B deoxycholate for the treatment of visceral leishmaniasis in UgandaY Mueller
Medecins Sans Frontieres, Swiss Section, Rue de Lausanne 78, 1202 Geneva, Switzerland
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 102:11-9. 2008Between September 2003 and April 2004, the supply of antimonial drugs to Amudat Hospital, in north-eastern Uganda, was interrupted and all cases of visceral leishmaniasis presenting at the hospital could only be treated with amphotericin ..
- Isolation of a novel species of flavivirus and a new strain of Culex flavivirus (Flaviviridae) from a natural mosquito population in UgandaShelley Cook
Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London SW7 5BD, UK
J Gen Virol 90:2669-78. 2009..We report the discovery, isolation and characterization of two novel 'insect-only' flaviviruses from Entebbe, Uganda: a novel lineage tentatively designated Nakiwogo virus (NAKV) and a new strain of CxFV...
- Alcohol use, intimate partner violence, sexual coercion and HIV among women aged 15-24 in Rakai, UgandaIryna B Zablotska
National Centre in HIV Social Research, University of New South Wales, Sydney 2052, Australia
AIDS Behav 13:225-33. 2009..In a sample of 3,422 women aged 15-24 from the Rakai cohort, Uganda, we examined the association between self-reported alcohol use before sex, physical violence/sexual coercion in ..
- Acceptance of routine testing for HIV among adult patients at the medical emergency unit at a national referral hospital in Kampala, UgandaDamalie Nakanjako
Department of Medicine, Makerere University Kampala, P O Box 25308, Kampala, Uganda
AIDS Behav 11:753-8. 2007HIV testing is an entry point to comprehensive HIV/AIDS prevention and care. In Uganda, Routine Testing and Counseling for HIV (RTC) is not widely offered as part of standard medical care in acute care settings...
- Undiagnosed HIV infection and couple HIV discordance among household members of HIV-infected people receiving antiretroviral therapy in UgandaWilly A Were
CDC Uganda, Global AIDS Program, National Center for HIV, STD and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Entebbe, Uganda
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 43:91-5. 2006..Systematic efforts to identify HIV-infected members and HIV-discordant couples in households of individuals taking antiretroviral therapy (ART) could theoretically reduce HIV transmission and improve ART adherence...
- Clinical toxicity of highly active antiretroviral therapy in a home-based AIDS care program in rural UgandaFatu Forna
Epidemic Intelligence Service, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 44:456-62. 2007We evaluated clinical toxicity in HIV-infected persons receiving antiretroviral therapy (ART) in Uganda.
- Rapid assessment of the geographical distribution of lymphatic filariasis in Uganda, by screening of schoolchildren for circulating filarial antigensA W Onapa
Vector Control Division, Ministry of Health, P O Box 1661, Kampala, Uganda
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 99:141-53. 2005..improvements in the targeting of control activities, the geographical distribution of lymphatic filariasis in Uganda was assessed by using a rapid immunochromatographic card test to check school-aged children for Wuchereria ..
- Effects of deworming during pregnancy on maternal and perinatal outcomes in Entebbe, Uganda: a randomized controlled trialJ Ndibazza
Medical Research Council Uganda Virus Research Institute Uganda Research Unit on AIDS, Entebbe, Uganda
Clin Infect Dis 50:531-40. 2010..Deworming during pregnancy has therefore been strongly advocated, but its benefits have not been rigorously evaluated...
- Breastfeeding, mother-to-child HIV transmission, and mortality among infants born to HIV-Infected women on highly active antiretroviral therapy in rural UgandaJaco Homsy
Institute for Global Health, Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 53:28-35. 2010....
- Cost and cost-effectiveness of nationwide school-based helminth control in Uganda: intra-country variation and effects of scaling-upSimon Brooker
Department of Infectious and Tropical Disease, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT, UK
Health Policy Plan 23:24-35. 2008..variation in the cost and cost-effectiveness of nationwide school-based treatment of helminth (worm) infection in Uganda. Programme cost data were collected through semi-structured interviews with district officials and from accounting ..
- Clinical and immunological outcomes of a national paediatric cohort receiving combination antiretroviral therapy in UgandaAndrew Kiboneka
The AIDS Support Organization, Kampala, Uganda
AIDS 22:2493-9. 2008We aimed to evaluate clinical and immunological outcomes of paediatric patients receiving combination antiretroviral therapy (cART) enrolled in The AIDS Support Organization (TASO) Uganda national HIV/AIDS programme.
- Investigating factors associated with uptake of HIV voluntary counselling and testing among pregnant women living in North UgandaM Fabiani
National Centre for Epidemiology, Surveillance and Health Promotion, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
AIDS Care 19:733-9. 2007..uptake among the 12,252 first-time attendees of the Antenatal Clinic (ANC) at Lacor Hospital (Gulu District, North Uganda)...
- Placental malaria among HIV-infected and uninfected women receiving anti-folates in a high transmission area of UgandaPatrick M Newman
School of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, 513 Parnassus Ave, San Francisco, CA 94131, USA
Malar J 8:254. 2009..Recommendations in Uganda are for HIV-infected pregnant women to receive daily trimethoprim-sulphamethoxazole (TS) and HIV-uninfected women ..
- A burgeoning epidemic of sleeping sickness in UgandaE M Fèvre
Centre for Tropical Veterinary Medicine, Royal Dick School of Veterinary Studies, University of Edinburgh, Midlothian, UK
Lancet 366:745-7. 2005The epidemic of Trypanosoma brucei rhodesiense sleeping sickness in eastern Uganda, which began in 1998 as a result of movements of the livestock reservoir of the parasite, has continued to spread...
- Identification of human-infective trypanosomes in animal reservoir of sleeping sickness in Uganda by means of serum-resistance-associated (SRA) geneS C Welburn
Centre for Tropical Veterinary Medicine, Royal Dick School of Veterinary Studies, University of Edinburgh, Easter Bush, Roslin, EH25 9RG, Edinburgh, UK
Lancet 358:2017-9. 2001..expansion of sleeping sickness caused by Trypanosoma brucei rhodesiense beyond its traditional focus in southeast Uganda has been linked with large-scale livestock restocking...
- The contribution of family planning towards the prevention of vertical HIV transmission in UgandaWolfgang Hladik
Global AIDS Program, National Center for HIV, Hepatitis, STD and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention CDC, Entebbe, Uganda
PLoS ONE 4:e7691. 2009b>Uganda has one of the highest total fertility rates (TFR) worldwide...
- Estimation of the sexual transmission of HIV in Kenya and Uganda on the trans-Africa highway: the continuing role for prevention in high risk groupsC N Morris
University of Manitoba, Manitoba, Canada
Sex Transm Infect 82:368-71. 2006..To explore the effect of transactional sex on the trans-Africa highway from Mombasa-Kampala in contributing to the HIV epidemic and the impact that an effective prevention intervention could have...
- Domestic violence in rural Uganda: evidence from a community-based studyMichael A Koenig
Department of Population and Family Health Sciences, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA
Bull World Health Organ 81:53-60. 2003..In a survey of 5109 women of reproductive age in the Rakai District of Uganda, 30% of women had experienced physical threats or physical abuse from their current partner--20% during the year ..
- Antiretroviral therapy and sexual behavior: a comparative study between antiretroviral- naive and -experienced patients at an urban HIV/AIDS care and research center in Kampala, UgandaMoses Bateganya
Makerere University Institute of Public Health Centers for Disease Control and Prevention IPHCDC HIV AIDS Fellowship Program, Kampala, Uganda
AIDS Patient Care STDS 19:760-8. 2005..compared to patients not undergoing ARV therapy (ARV-naïve) attending an urban HIV clinic in Kampala, Uganda. Sexual behavior during the prior 6 months and sexually transmitted disease (STD) treatment was determined by face-..
- The effects of male circumcision on female partners' genital tract symptoms and vaginal infections in a randomized trial in Rakai, UgandaRonald H Gray
Department of Population, Family, and Reproductive Health, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 200:42.e1-7. 2009..The objective of the study was to assess effects of male circumcision on female genital symptoms and vaginal infections...
- Severe malaria in children in areas with low, moderate and high transmission intensity in UgandaR Idro
Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, Mulago Hospital Makerere University Medical School, Kampala, Uganda
Trop Med Int Health 11:115-24. 2006..peripheral parasite load varies with transmission intensity and how this influences the symptoms and manifestations of severe malaria in children under 5 years in three areas with different malaria transmission intensity across Uganda.
- Good adherence to HAART and improved survival in a community HIV/AIDS treatment and care programme: the experience of The AIDS Support Organization (TASO), Kampala, UgandaAndrew M Abaasa
Clinical Epidemiology Unit, Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda
BMC Health Serv Res 8:241. 2008..We therefore conducted a study to assess the effect of adherence to HAART on survival in The AIDS Support Organization (TASO) community HAART programme in Kampala, Uganda.
- Selection of Plasmodium falciparum pfmdr1 alleles following therapy with artemether-lumefantrine in an area of Uganda where malaria is highly endemicChristian Dokomajilar
Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco General Hospital, Box 0811, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:1893-5. 2006..All samples had a single pfmdr1 copy. Treatment with artemether-lumefantrine selects for polymorphisms that may alter antimalarial drug response...
- Associations between mild-to-moderate anaemia in pregnancy and helminth, malaria and HIV infection in Entebbe, UgandaLawrence Muhangi
MRC UVRI Uganda Research Unit on AIDS, Uganda Virus Research Institute, P O Box 49, Entebbe, Uganda
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 101:899-907. 2007..and HIV among 2507 otherwise healthy pregnant women at enrolment to a trial of deworming in pregnancy in Entebbe, Uganda. The prevalence of anaemia was 39.7%. The prevalence of hookworm was 44.5%, Mansonella perstans 21...
- Stochastic simulation of the impact of antiretroviral therapy and HIV vaccines on HIV transmission; Rakai, UgandaRonald H Gray
Department of Population and Family Health Sciences, Johns Hopkins University, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
AIDS 17:1941-51. 2003To model the effects of antiretroviral therapy (ART) and HIV vaccines on HIV transmission using empirical data from studies in Rakai, Uganda.
- Pathogenesis of cognitive/neurologic deficits in central nervous system malariaChandy C John; Fiscal Year: 2012..Our studies at Mulago Hospital, Kampala, Uganda document that 21...
- Innate immunity predictors of HIV: the role of contraception, pregnancy and HSV-2Charles Morrison; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will use ~4,000 longitudinal paired serum and cervical specimens from 1,200 women from Uganda and Zimbabwe who used DMPA, COCs and no hormonal contraception and participated in the HC-HIV study with well-..
- Host Genetic Epidemiology in HIV-1-Discordant African Couples and Other CohortsJianming Tang; Fiscal Year: 2012..Genetic determinants will be studied primarily in infected and susceptible populations in Zambia, Uganda, and Rwanda and secondarily in European and African-American HIV/AIDS cohorts...
- Fogarty Global Health Fellows Coordinating CenterCHARLES MICHAEL VAN DER HORST; Fiscal Year: 2013..brings together 17 primary research training sites in Africa (Ghana, Malawi, South Africa (2), Swaziland, Uganda (2), Zambia), Asia (Bangladesh, China (3), India, Thailand) and South America (Argentina, Brazil, Peru)...
- Antimalarial Pharmacology in HIV Coinfected Children and Pregnant Women in UgandaSunil Parikh; Fiscal Year: 2013..reducing malaria morbidity in HIV-infected children and pregnant women (PROMOTE) are currently underway in Tororo, Uganda, a region with high rates of malaria transmission and HIV infection...
- The Biodemographic Determinants of Life SpanJames R Carey; Fiscal Year: 2010..and directed by James Carey (UC Davis) will involve field studies on the medfly in Greece and butterflies in Uganda to ask questions about aging, lifespan, and impairment of insects in the wild...
- Tsetse Transmitted African TrypanosomiasisSerap Aksoy; Fiscal Year: 2013..TRC and Yale developed a strong program in Kenya and Uganda, which collaborates with Eastern Africa Network for Trypanosomes (EANETT), a consortium of the lead research ..
- Patient-Oriented Research and Mentoring in PneumocystisLaurence Huang; Fiscal Year: 2010..interested in pulmonary infections;and (4) to build an international clinical research program in Kampala, Uganda focused on pulmonary infections...
- Firing up new treatments against Mycobacterium ulcerans disease (Buruli ulcer)Jacques H Grosset; Fiscal Year: 2013ABSTRACT Ever since the first report from Australia in 1948, followed by many publications from Uganda and Congo, the only treatment for the emerging infectious disease now known as Buruli ulcer, caused by Mycobacterium ulcerans and ..
- The immunopathogenesis of HIV-related Immune Reconstitution Inflammatory SyndromeDAVID BISAGAYA MEYA; Fiscal Year: 2013..with cryptococcal meningitis (CM) in AIDS patients at the Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) in Kampala, Uganda and to better understand the pathogenesis of IRIS...
- Proteogenomics of dysregulated protein interaction networks in MTB infectionMark R Chance; Fiscal Year: 2013..and clinically well characterized persons with the spectrum of MTB exposure, infection and disease in the US, Uganda and S. Africa, in order to apply novel systems biology approaches to latent MTB infection...
- Cognitive and Psychosocial Benefit of Caregiver Training for Ugandan HIV ChildrenMICHAEL JOSEPH BOIVIN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Mothers/caregivers of half of 120 HIV-infected and 120 non-infected preschool AIDS orphans in Kayunga District, Uganda, will be assigned to monthly home-based MISC training for one year...
- Human Herpesvirus-8 Replication and Kaposi Sarcoma Response to TreatmentWarren Phipps; Fiscal Year: 2013..and related lytic HHV-8 gene expression in a large prospective cohort of persons with and without KS at the Uganda Cancer Institute (UCI) in Kampala, Uganda...
- PRIMARY HIV PREVENTION IN PREGNANT AND LACTATING UGANDAN WOMEN:A RANDOMIZED TRIALJaco Homsy; Fiscal Year: 2013..individually (n=410) or in couples (n=410 women and 410 partners) in an urban and a rural public hospital in Uganda. Individual women and couples will be randomized to receive either repeat HIV testing and standard counseling (..
- Interventions to decrease HIV infectiousness in UgandaConnie L Celum; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): This application, Interventions to decrease HIV infectiousness in Uganda, responds to the NIH Director's Opportunity for Research (RC-4) within the Global Health theme...
- Multi-vitamins, HAART and HIV/AIDS in UgandaWafaie W Fawzi; Fiscal Year: 2012..e. peripheral neuropathy, anemia, and diarrhea). We will enroll 400 men and women in the rural Kayunga district of Uganda, who are receiving or have recently initiated HAART...
- Enhanced Provision of Male Circumcision for HIV Prevention, Rakai, UgandaRonald H Gray; Fiscal Year: 2013..The impact of MC on HIV incidence, cost-effectiveness and enhanced modeling (Aim 3) will provide data on population prevention of HIV through MC, for policy and program development. ..
- TRAINING IN GEOGRAPHIC MEDICINE AND INFECTIOUS DISEASESJAMES WALTER KAZURA; Fiscal Year: 2013..g. Uganda, Kenya, Papua New Guinea, Brazil and South Africa. U.S...
- Determinants of Use of Safer Conception Strategies Among HIV Clients in UgandaGLENN JOHN WAGNER; Fiscal Year: 2013..Findings from this study will inform the development of a structural intervention aimed at helping providers and clinics to better provide support needed by PLHA to have safer, healthy pregnancies, and limit transmission. ..
- Feasibility and Cost of WHO PMTCT Option A vs. B in Rural and Urban UgandaPhilippa Musoke; Fiscal Year: 2013ABSTRACT In Uganda as in other sub-Saharan African countries, the Ministry of Health is in the process of adopting and implementing the new WHO 2010 PMTCT Guidelines...
- Effector and regulatory T cell responses and protection from clinical malariaMargaret E Feeney; Fiscal Year: 2013..The proposed study will leverage samples to be collected as part of a randomized clinical trial based in Tororo, Uganda that will compare the efficacy and safety of 3 promising malaria chemopreventive strategies with the current ..
- East Africa IEDEA Regional ConsortiumCONSTANTIN THEODORE YIANNOUTSOS; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The three countries within the East African leDEA Regional Consortium (Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania) have adult HIV prevalence rates ranging between 5-10%...
- The Problem With Male Sexual/Repro Health:Qualitative/Quantitative Study, UgandaMaria J Wawer; Fiscal Year: 2013..The Rakai Health Sciences Program (RHSP), Uganda, has documented many challenges related to male use of SRH services in the general population of the ongoing Rakai ..
- TB Guidline Observation and Adherence in Low Income Countries (TB GOAL)Adithya Cattamanchi; Fiscal Year: 2012..The pilot studies will take place within the Uganda Infectious Disease Surveillance Network (UIDSN), which collects data on TB care at 6 government health centers (&..
- Rakai Adolescent Project (RAP)John S Santelli; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Through political commitment and community mobilization, Uganda has made notable progress in containing HIV prevalence using a variety of prevention approaches including partner reduction, promotion ..
- Zinc for HIV Disease among Alcohol Users -An RCT in the Russia ARCH CohortJeffrey H Samet; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will recruit most of our participants from the Russia cohort within the Uganda Russia Boston Alcohol Network for Alcohol Research Collaboration on HIV/AIDS (URBAN ARCH) Consortium study...
- Novel Pathogen Associated Cancers (PQ12)David Wang; Fiscal Year: 2013..epidemiology, which will have access to unique tumor specimens originating from individuals with HIV infection in Uganda as well as validation in HIV-negative Ugandans and transplant cohorts from the United States...
- UCSF HIV Clinical Trials UnitDiane V Havlir; Fiscal Year: 2011..Kamya will lead the adult CRS of Makerere University/Infectious Diseases Institute in Uganda, as a site for the ACTG...
- UCSF HIV Clinical Trials UnitDiane V Havlir; Fiscal Year: 2013..Kamya will lead the adult CRS of Makerere University/Infectious Diseases Institute in Uganda, as a site for the ACTG...
- Experimental evidence and validation of measures on gender-based violenceTIA MARIA PALERMO; Fiscal Year: 2013..and Health Surveys, and in the second part we analyze new data from an original, randomized-design survey in Uganda. The aims of our study are to (1) quantify bounds for underestimation in existing estimates of gender-based ..
- Outcomes of Cryptococcal Meningitis in UgandaPaul R Bohjanen; Fiscal Year: 2013..This grant proposes to extend my collaborative research program related to CM in Uganda and to use this research program as a venue to provide mentorship in international patient-oriented research to ..
- Transfusion in MalariaWalter H Dzik; Fiscal Year: 2013..of RBCs of different storage periods on tissue oxygenation among children with severe malaria anemia in Uganda. Children with severe anemia and elevated blood lactate levels will receive RBC transfusion according to their ..
- Evidence based control strategies of Sleeping Sickness vectorsSerap Aksoy; Fiscal Year: 2012..addresses the molecular and ecological aspects of the two HAT disease belts (gambiense and rhodesiense) in Uganda with a focus on population and evolutionary genetics of tsetse flies and their parasites and endosymbionts...
- AIDS INTERNATIONAL TRAINING AND RESEARCH PROGRAMCarey Farquhar; Fiscal Year: 2012..India was added as a target country in 2003, and this year Uganda will be added to provide new opportunities in HIV-associated malignancy research...
- Developmental and Growth Outcomes for ARV Exposed HIV Uninfected African ChildrenMary Glenn Fowler; Fiscal Year: 2013..will co-enroll HIV ARV exposed uninfected infants from the PROMISE PMTCT trial in Blantyre Malawi and Kampala Uganda. Control healthy children matched for age, and gender will be recruited from well child and acute care clinics at ..
- Improving Diagnostics and Neurocognitive Outcomes in HIV/AIDS-related MeningitisDavid R Boulware; Fiscal Year: 2013..a prospective cohort study of 1000 HIV-infected persons presenting with suspected CNS infection in Kampala, Uganda. We will use point-of-care and molecular diagnostics to rapidly determine the etiologies of CNS infections, with a ..
- Fertility desire and pregnancy in a cohort of discordant Ugandan couples on ARTANGELA KANANA KAIDA; Fiscal Year: 2012..NIH-funded Ugandan Antiretroviral Treatment Outcomes (UARTO) cohort of 1000 ART-treated individuals in Mbarara, Uganda. Participants will complete an annual interview to assess fertility intentions, reproductive behaviors, and ..
- Evaluation of antiretroviral HIV prevention in African HIV discordant couplesJared Baeten; Fiscal Year: 2012..a placebo-controlled clinical trial of tenofovir-based PrEP among 4700 HIV-1 serodiscordant couples in Kenya and Uganda (the Partners PrEP Study), which will be completed in 2012...
- An integrated platform for blood collection, HIV viral RNA purification, and stabErwin Berthier; Fiscal Year: 2013..diagnostics for low-resource settings with a special affiliation with the Joint Clinical Research Centre (JCRC) in Uganda, and 3) the Morgridge Institutes for Research, enabling Tasso to have direct access to established prototyping ..
- Computerized Cognitive Rehabilitation in Children after Severe MalariaNoeline Nakasujja; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Research Topic: We have documented in our prior work in Uganda that 1 out of 4 school-age survivors of cerebral malaria (CM) has persisting attention, memory, or learning impairment two years after ..
- INCIDENCE, DETERMINANTS AND OUTCOMES OF LATENT AND ACTIVE TUBERCULOSIS AMONG HIVBETTY KINTU NSANGI; Fiscal Year: 2013..Of the HIV positive TB cases, approximately 81% were from Africa. In Uganda, there were 70,000 newly diagnosed TB cases...
- Uganda-UCSF Research Training in HIV-Associated MalignanciesJeffrey N Martin; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our work in Uganda in the context of R01 CA119903, as well as the findings of others, has shown us that the single largest obstacle ..
- Northern/Pacific Universities Global Health Research Training ConsortiumJOSEPH RAYMOND ZUNT; Fiscal Year: 2013..and Washington) and partnerships with universities and research institutions in six countries (Kenya, Ghana, Uganda, Peru, China and Thailand)...
- Research Activities in Support of Malaria Prevention and Control in Uganda (PMI)MOSES ROBERT KAMYA; Fiscal Year: 2013..Since its establishment in Uganda in 2005, the U.S...
- STRENGTHEN RESEARCH TRAINING &ADMINISTRATIVE CAPACITY AT RESEARCH CENTERNELSON SANDE KAKANDE; Fiscal Year: 2013..agencies have dramatically increased their funding of research and training to deferent institutions in Uganda. However, it is observed that grants recipient institutions, individual researchers, students, and research ..
- Evaluating a Youth focused economic empowerment approach to HIV TreatmentFRED M SSEWAMALA; Fiscal Year: 2012..informed by an efficacious economic empowerment intervention previously tested with AIDS-orphaned children, Suubi-Uganda, and draws from Asset-Theory and previous adherence studies...
- MULTIDISCIPLINARY ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH TRAININGDavid Carpenter; Fiscal Year: 2006..program in environmental health in the following countries; Romania, Russia, Uzbekistan, Mongolia, Kenya and Uganda. The activities with Romania, Russia, Kenya and Uganda are continuations of ongoing Fogarty support from either ..
- Neurocognitive outcomes and changes in brain and CSF volume after treatment of poBENJAMIN CURTIS WARF; Fiscal Year: 2012..Our prior collaborative work at CURE Children's Hospital of Uganda (CCHU) has: a) identified neonatal infection as the single most common cause of pediatric hydrocephalus and an ..
- Mobile Health for Implementation of Home-based TB Contact Investigation in UgandaJOHN LUCIAN DAVIS; Fiscal Year: 2013..of investigators, who will take advantage of the outstanding environment for health services research with the Uganda TB Surveillance Project...
- Operational Research for cryptococcal antigen screening to improve ART survivalDAVID BISAGAYA MEYA; Fiscal Year: 2013..In Uganda, cryptococcosis accounts for 30% of mortality in AIDS patients after starting ART...
- 2/2 - Establishing a GEOHealth Hub Platform for East Africa - EthiopiaABERA TAKELE KUMIE; Fiscal Year: 2013..Network (HOAREC/N), a partner in this application (which includes one of our targeted countries - Kenya), and to Uganda and Rwanda through USC collaborations...
- Mechanisms of increased susceptibility to TB in HIV-Infected individualsDavid H Canaday; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have access to multiple cohorts of subjects in Uganda to study. Aim 2...
- Caregiver Mental Health and Child Physical Health in HIV-Affected FamiliesSARAH SUTHERLIN MCIVOR MURRAY; Fiscal Year: 2013..Murray proposes to investigate caregiver mental health and child physical health among HIV-affected families in Uganda. The goal of this research is to prepare Ms...
- Association between HIV and Survival after Cancer DiagnosisPolly A Newcomb; Fiscal Year: 2011..To accomplish these aims, we will study cases of cervical, KS, breast, and lung cancer presenting to the Uganda Cancer Institute (UCI), the sole cancer care facility in Uganda, from 2005- 2010 (n=7,488)...
- AFrica Focus on Intervention Research for Mental health (AFFIRM)Ezra S Susser; Fiscal Year: 2013..Focus on Intervention Research for Mental health (AFFIRM) program, in 5 African countries: South Africa, Ghana, Uganda, Zimbabwe, Malawi and Ethiopia, with the following four specific aims: 1) To investigate strategies for narrowing ..
- Pathway analysis of tuberculosis pathogenesisCATHERINE MARIE STEIN; Fiscal Year: 2013..Since 1995, we have been conducting a household contact study in Uganda where we are able to observe genetic and environmental risk factors for chronic Mtb infection and active TB ..
- Planning for A GEOHealth Research and Training Hub in Uganda - United StatesJia Sheng Wang; Fiscal Year: 2013..EOH problems are particularly acute in Uganda and Eastern Africa, where the field has lagged far behind most middle income countries due to a lack of political ..
- Biological and Human Dimensions of Primate Retroviral TransmissionTony L Goldberg; Fiscal Year: 2013..co-circulating in a metapopulation of wild red colobus monkeys (Procolobus rufomitratus) in Kibale National Park, Uganda, where we have conducted research for over two decades...
- Training in International Maternal and Child HealthJoanne Katz; Fiscal Year: 2010..with laboratory, clinic and population-based activities in countries such as Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Zanzibar, Uganda, Ethiopia, Peru, and Guatemala...
- Bridges to the Future: Economic Empowerment for AIDS Orphaned Children in UgandaJane Waldfogel; Fiscal Year: 2013..age 11 to 14 years) nested within 48 public primary schools in Rakai and Masaka Districts of southern Uganda [a region heavily affected by HIV/AIDS] to one of three study conditions: Bridges;Bridges PLUS;and a Usual care ..
- 14th International Workshop on Kaposi's Sarcoma-Associated Herpesvirus and RelateDean H Kedes; Fiscal Year: 2011..It is the most frequent tumor of HIV-infected individuals and, in certain African countries (e.g. Uganda), is the leading cancer of men...
- Randomized Trial/Reduce Recurrence/Bacterial VaginosisKing Holmes; Fiscal Year: 2004..Women in sub-Saharan Africa have the highest prevalence of BV, approximately 40-50 percent in Uganda and Kenya...
- Transmission and the respiratory tract in cryptosporidiosisJeffrey Griffiths; Fiscal Year: 2007..We have designed a rigorous study of children in Uganda that should either convincingly confirm, or refute, this hypothesis...
- Oral Chemotherapy in AIDS-related NHL in Uganda & KenyaScot Remick; Fiscal Year: 2003..This proposal would support the first clinical trial in AIDS-related NHL in Uganda and Kenya with important laboratory correlative studies on: 1) underlying HIV infection including monitoring of ..
- Molecular epidemiology of sulfadoxine-pyrimethamineThomas Egwang; Fiscal Year: 2006DESCRIPTION (provided by the applicant): In Uganda, malaria poses a considerable public health burden and the problem is exacerbated by the emergence of drug-resistant Plasmodium falciparum strains...
- Cognitive and Neurologic Sequelae in Cerebral MalariaChandy John; Fiscal Year: 2007..Malaria is the leading cause of death in children under 5 years of age in Uganda. CM is known to be a leading cause of malaria- related mortality in Uganda, but morbidity from CM, particularly ..
- Acylovir to prevent HIV acquisition in HSV-2+personsConnie Celum; Fiscal Year: 2004..1 in the more rigorous studies. A recent study of HIV-discordant couples from Rakai, Uganda, has shown that at all levels of HIV viral load in the HIV-positive partner, HSV-2 infection in the susceptible ..
- CLINICAL AND MOLECULAR STUDIES OF DRUG-RESISTANT MALARIAMATTHEW DORSEY; Fiscal Year: 2005..an existing surveillance system for the monitoring of anti-malarial drug resistance at seven sentinel sites in Uganda with a focus on combination anti-malarial therapy...
- A phase II, randomized, clinical trial to evaluate the safety and efficacy of a nEdward Jones Lopez; Fiscal Year: 2009..strategy to diagnose and treat patients with drug resistant TB attending the Mulago Hospital TB clinic in Kampala, Uganda. The study design will be a phase II, 6-month, open label, randomized clinical trial...
- The Interface of HIV, Nutritional Supplementation and Breastfeeding among HIV exMaxensia Owor; Fiscal Year: 2009..propose to do a secondary analyses of data from a perinatal HIV prevention trial at a research center in Kampala Uganda in order to assess the potential effect of introduction of a food supplement program (the World Food Programme, ..
- BV ETIOLOGY, NATURAL HISTORY, AND SEXUAL TRANSMISSIONMaria Wawer; Fiscal Year: 2004..The etiology and natural history of BV are poorly understood. The study will be conducted in Rakai District, Uganda, where approximately 50 percent in the general population of women of reproductive age have BV...
- HIV Dementia and Sensory Neuropathy in UgandaNed Sacktor; Fiscal Year: 2009..The project will assemble a cohort of HIV+ individuals in Uganda: 1) to determine the prevalence of and risk factors associated with HIV-D and HIV-SN among untreated HIV+ ..
- STDS, FERTILITY, MARRIAGE AND DEMOGRAPHIC PROJECTIONRonald Gray; Fiscal Year: 2002..We propose to use a unique data set from a community-based study in rural Rakai District, Uganda. Data are available for 11,315 women and 10,698 men who provided detailed socio-demographic, health and behavioral ..
- HIV/TB in Uganda: Punctuated Antiretroviral TherapyChristopher Whalen; Fiscal Year: 2007..In Uganda, over half of HIV-infected patients with active TB present with CD4+ counts above 200 cells/?L...
- MOLECULAR APPROACHES TO DRUG RESISTANT MALARIAPhilip Rosenthal; Fiscal Year: 2000..This project will involve the study of in vivo and in vitro antimalarial drug resistance in Uganda. It will be used as a pilot for subsequent larger studies designed to identify molecular markers of drug-resistant ..