Genomes and Genes
democratic republic of the congo
Summary: A republic in central Africa, south of the CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC and north of ANGOLA and ZAMBIA. Its name changes bespeak its history: 1885-1908 Congo Free State, 1908-60 Belgian Congo, 1960-71 Democratic Republic of the Congo, 1971-97 Zaire. It changed its name back to Democratic Republic of the Congo in 1997. The name Zaire is an alternate name for the Congo River from nzai, a Kikongo dialect form of nazdi, river. (From Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, 1992, p608)
Publications214 found, 100 shown here
- Outbreak of human monkeypox, Democratic Republic of Congo, 1996 to 1997Y J Hutin
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 7:434-8. 2001..Vaccinia vaccination, which protects against monkeypox, ceased by 1983 after global smallpox eradication, leading to an increase in the proportion of susceptible people...
- Mortality and associated factors after initiation of pediatric antiretroviral treatment in the Democratic Republic of the CongoSteven F J Callens
School of Public Health, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC
Pediatr Infect Dis J 28:35-40. 2009We aimed to describe factors associated with mortality among children receiving antiretroviral treatment (ART) at a pediatric hospital in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- The effectiveness of active population screening and treatment for sleeping sickness control in the Democratic Republic of CongoJo Robays
Epidemiology Unit, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium
Trop Med Int Health 9:542-50. 2004..We looked at the contribution of CATT and improved parasitological confirmation to the effectiveness of screening and treatment...
- The process of HIV status disclosure to HIV-positive youth in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the CongoL Vaz
Department of Health Behavior and Health Education, University of North Carolina, NC, USA
AIDS Care 20:842-52. 2008..As part of a larger formative study informing a treatment program in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, semi-structured interviews were conducted with 19 youth (10-21 years) who had previously been told ..
- Wild animal mortality monitoring and human Ebola outbreaks, Gabon and Republic of Congo, 2001-2003Pierre Rouquet
Centre International de Recherches Medicales de Franceville, CIRMF BP 769, Franceville, Gabon
Emerg Infect Dis 11:283-90. 2005..Wild animal outbreaks began before each of the 5 human Ebola outbreaks. Twice we alerted the health authorities to an imminent risk for human outbreaks, weeks before they occurred...
- Mycobacterium ulcerans disease (Buruli ulcer) in a rural hospital in Bas-Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo, 2002-2004Delphin M Phanzu
Institut Medical Evangelique, Kimpese Hospital, Kimpese, Bas Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo
Am J Trop Med Hyg 75:311-4. 2006..Osteomyelitis was an important complication. A multidisciplinary approach to BU control in the Bas-Congo is proposed, aimed primarily at active case detection...
- Transmission of Ebola hemorrhagic fever: a study of risk factors in family members, Kikwit, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 1995. Commission de Lutte contre les Epidémies à KikwitS F Dowell
Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
J Infect Dis 179:S87-91. 1999..EHF is transmitted principally by direct physical contact with an ill person or their body fluids during the later stages of illness...
- Outbreaks of disease suspected of being due to human monkeypox virus infection in the Democratic Republic of Congo in 2001Hermann Meyer
Institute of Microbiology, German Armed Forces Medical Academy, Munich, Switzerland
J Clin Microbiol 40:2919-21. 2002..In one outbreak, no evidence for either monkeypox or chickenpox was found (two cases, with no deaths)...
- New enteroviruses, EV-93 and EV-94, associated with acute flaccid paralysis in the Democratic Republic of the CongoNina Junttila
Swedish Institute for Infectious Disease Control, Solna, Sweden
J Med Virol 79:393-400. 2007..During 2000 and 2001, 186 isolates from 138 children with acute flaccid paralysis in the Democratic Republic of the Congo were sent for typing to the National Reference Centre for Enteroviruses in Lyon, France...
- Neonatal screening for sickle cell anaemia in the Democratic Republic of the Congo: experience from a pioneer project on 31 204 newbornsL Tshilolo
Centre Hospitalier Monkole CHM, Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo
J Clin Pathol 62:35-8. 2009..Despite the high prevalence of sickle cell disease in Africa, a neonatal screening programme is available in only a few countries in the sub-Saharan region...
- Lakes as source of cholera outbreaks, Democratic Republic of CongoDidier Bompangue
Health Ministry, Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo
Emerg Infect Dis 14:798-800. 2008..Results show that lakes were the sources of outbreaks and demonstrate the inadequacy of the strategy used to combat cholera...
- Paracheck-Pf accuracy and recently treated Plasmodium falciparum infections: is there a risk of over-diagnosis?Todd D Swarthout
Medecins Sans Frontieres, London, UK
Malar J 6:58. 2007..An assessment of the accuracy of Paracheck Pf, a malaria rapid diagnostic test (RDT) detecting histidine rich protein 2 was undertaken amongst children aged 6-59 months in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo...
- [Democratic Republic of the Congo: between civil war and the Marburg virus. International Committee of Technical and Scientific Coordination of the Durba Epidemic]E Bertherat
Service de médecine des collectivités, l Hôpital d instruction des armées Laveran, Marseille, France
Med Trop (Mars) 59:201-4. 1999..Further studies to determine seroprevalence in the general population and virologic testing on animals captured in the zone should provide answers to these questions...
- Resistance-mediating polymorphisms in Plasmodium falciparum infections in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the CongoLinda Mobula
Department of Medicine, San Francisco General Hospital, University of California, 94143, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 80:555-8. 2009..These results suggest an intermediate level of resistance to aminoquinoline and antifolate antimalarials in Kinshasa compared with other areas of Africa...
- Detection of hepatitis E virus of genotype 3 in a farm pig in Kinshasa (Democratic Republic of the Congo)Mamadou Kaba
URMITE CNRS UMR 6236 IRD198, Facultes de Medecine et de Pharmacie, Université de Méditerranée, 27 Boulevard Jean Moulin, 13385 Marseille Cedex 05, France
Infect Genet Evol 10:154-7. 2010..Faecal samples from 40 pigs of the Pietrain race housed in a farm in Kinshasa (Democratic Republic of the Congo) were tested using in-house real-time reverse transcription (RT)-PCR and sequencing assays...
- [Human papillomavirus genotype profile in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo: implications for vaccination]C Ali-Risasi
Département de Biologie médicale, Service de Biologie Clinique, Cliniques Universitaires de Kinshasa
Med Trop (Mars) 68:617-20. 2008..e., Cervarix (Glaxomith-Kline) and Gardasil (Merck), are designed to prevent infection by two high-risk HPV types, i.e., 16 and 18, for which estimation mainly in Western Europe and North America have demonstrated a prevalence 60 to 70%...
- [Feasibility of HIV prophylaxis with nevirapine in a northeastern rural area of the Democratic Republic of the Congo]Melchisedec Kirere Mathe
Institut supérieur des techniques médicales, Centre médical évangélique de Nyankunde en RDC, 104, Rue En Bois, 4000 Liege, Belgique
Sante 17:97-101. 2007Several developing countries, including the Democratic Republic of the Congo have adopted HIV NET 012, i.e...
- Ebola hemorrhagic fever: lessons from Kikwit, Democratic Republic of the CongoD L Heymann
Division of Emerging and Other Communicable Diseases, World Health Organization WHO, Geneva, Switzerland
J Infect Dis 179:S283-6. 1999The outbreak of Ebola hemorrhagic fever in Kikwit, Democratic Republic of the Congo, clearly signaled an end to the days when physicians and researchers could work in relative obscurity on problems of international importance, and it ..
- Ebola hemorrhagic fever outbreaks in Gabon, 1994-1997: epidemiologic and health control issuesA J Georges
Centre International de Recherches Medicales de Franceville, Gabon
J Infect Dis 179:S65-75. 1999..1% in the base pairs. Sequencing also showed that all isolates were very similar to subtype Zaire EBO virus isolates from the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- Recombinant viruses and early global HIV-1 epidemicMarcia L Kalish
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 10:1227-34. 2004..Understanding the early epidemic in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, formerly Zaire, could provide insight into how HIV evolved and assist vaccine design and ..
- Bed net ownership, use and perceptions among women seeking antenatal care in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC): opportunities for improved maternal and child healthAudrey Pettifor
Department of Epidemiology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, USA
BMC Public Health 8:331. 2008....
- Extended interhuman transmission of monkeypox in a hospital community in the Republic of the Congo, 2003Lynne A Learned
School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, State University of New York, Buffalo, New York, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 73:428-34. 2005..The pattern of sustained human-to-human transmission observed during this outbreak may influence our current perception of the capacity for this zoonotic virus to adapt to humans...
- [Epidemic of Chikungunya virus in 1999 and 200 in the Democratic Republic of the Congo]J J Muyembe-Tamfum
Med Trop (Mars) 63:637-8. 2003
- [The efficiency of different detection strategies of human African trypanosomiasis by T. b. gambiense]Pascal Lutumba
Programme National de Lutte contre la Trypanosomiase Humaine Africaine, Kinshasa, Republique Democratique du Congo
Trop Med Int Health 10:347-56. 2005..This decision analysis compared the efficiency of three alternative detection strategies: screening by LN only, CATT only and their combination (LN and CATT)...
- Marburg hemorrhagic fever in Durba and Watsa, Democratic Republic of the Congo: clinical documentation, features of illness, and treatmentRobert Colebunders
Institute of Tropical Medicine Antwerp, Antwerp, B 2000, Belgium
J Infect Dis 196:S148-53. 2007..Treatment in isolation wards was acceptable, but the quality of clinical documentation was unsatisfactory. Improved clinical documentation is necessary for a basic evaluation of supportive treatment...
- Interventions to control virus transmission during an outbreak of Ebola hemorrhagic fever: experience from Kikwit, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 1995B Kerstiëns
Medecins Sans Frontieres, Brussels, Belgium
J Infect Dis 179:S263-7. 1999On 6 May 1995, the Médecins sans Frontières (MSF) coordinator in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), received a request for assistance for what was believed to be a concurrent outbreak of bacillary dysentery and viral ..
- Search for the Ebola virus reservoir in Kikwit, Democratic Republic of the Congo: reflections on a vertebrate collectionH Leirs
Danish Pest Infestation Laboratory, Lyngby
J Infect Dis 179:S155-63. 1999..was done to identify the reservoir of Ebola virus following the 1995 outbreak in Kikwit, Democratic Republic of the Congo. Efforts focused on the fields where the putative primary case had worked but included other habitats ..
- Ebola hemorrhagic fever, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 1995: determinants of survivalR F Sadek
Special Pathogens Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, USA
J Infect Dis 179:S24-7. 1999..an international team characterized and contained an outbreak of Ebola hemorrhagic fever in Kikwit, Democratic Republic of the Congo. This study reports the descriptive features of this outbreak along with a statistical analysis of ..
- Field investigations of an outbreak of Ebola hemorrhagic fever, Kikwit, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 1995: arthropod studiesP Reiter
Dengue Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, San Juan, Puerto Rico 00921 3200, USA
J Infect Dis 179:S148-54. 1999During the final weeks of a 6-month epidemic of Ebola hemorrhagic fever in Kikwit, Democratic Republic of the Congo, an extensive collection of arthropods was made in an attempt to learn more of the natural history of the disease...
- A search for Ebola virus in animals in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Cameroon: ecologic, virologic, and serologic surveys, 1979-1980. Ebola Virus Study TeamsJ G Breman
Smallpox Eradication Unit, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
J Infect Dis 179:S139-47. 1999..In 1979 and 1980, animals in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Cameroon were collected during the dry season near the site of the 1976 Ebola hemorrhagic fever ..
- [The specialty of anesthesia outside Western medicine with special consideration of personal experience in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Mongolia]M Dunser
Klinik für Anästhesie, Medizinische Universitat, Innsbruck, Osterreich
Anaesthesist 55:118-32. 2006....
- Low prevalence of HIV and other selected sexually transmitted infections in 2004 in pregnant women from Kinshasa, the Democratic Republic of the CongoR Kinoshita-Moleka
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Epidemiol Infect 136:1290-6. 2008..prevalence of HIV and other sexually transmitted infections (STIs) in pregnant women in Kinshasa, the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)...
- Human immunodeficiency virus infection among employees in an African hospitalR W Ryder
Project SIDA, Department of Public Health, Kinshasa, Zaire
N Engl J Med 319:1123-7. 1988..We conclude that there is a continuing high prevalence of HIV infection among hospital workers in Kinshasa, Zaire, which appears to be representative of that in the community and not nosocomial...
- Mortality in the Democratic Republic of Congo: a nationwide surveyBenjamin Coghlan
Centre for International Health, Burnet Institute, Melbourne, Australia
Lancet 367:44-51. 2006..To document rates and trends in mortality and provide recommendations for political and humanitarian interventions, we did a nationwide mortality survey during April-July, 2004...
- Malaria in primary school children and infants in kinshasa, democratic republic of the congo: surveys from the 1980s and 2000Walter Kazadi
Programme National de Lutte contre le Paludisme, Ministere de la Sante, Kinshasa, Republique Democratique du Congo
Am J Trop Med Hyg 71:97-102. 2004Kinshasa, the capital of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, has been a perennial malarious area and has grown almost 14 times from 380,000 people in 1960 to 5,293,000 in 2003...
- Nutritional monitoring of preschool-age children by community volunteers during armed conflict in the Democratic Republic of the CongoGhislain Bisimwa
Centre de Recherche en Sciences Naturelles de Lwiro, DR Congo
Food Nutr Bull 30:120-7. 2009..The coverage of preschool preventive medical visits in developing countries is still low. Consequently, very few children benefit from continuous monitoring during the first 5 years of life...
- A novel immunohistochemical assay for the detection of Ebola virus in skin: implications for diagnosis, spread, and surveillance of Ebola hemorrhagic fever. Commission de Lutte contre les Epidémies à KikwitS R Zaki
Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
J Infect Dis 179:S36-47. 1999..IHC testing of formalin-fixed skin specimens is a safe, sensitive, and specific method for laboratory diagnosis of EHF and should be useful for EHF surveillance and prevention...
- Marburg hemorrhagic fever associated with multiple genetic lineages of virusDaniel G Bausch
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, USA
N Engl J Med 355:909-19. 2006An outbreak of Marburg hemorrhagic fever was first observed in a gold-mining village in northeastern Democratic Republic of the Congo in October 1998.
- [Sleeping sickness in the region of the town of Kinshasa: a retrospective analysis during the surveillance period 1996-2000]A Kadima Ebeja
Medecins Sans Frontieres, Kinshasa, Republique Democratique du Congo
Trop Med Int Health 8:949-55. 2003..Glossina captures in 1999 established the presence of Trypanosoma spp. Local HAT transmission is plausible but not proven. The high number of urban cases necessitates development of control strategies adapted to cities...
- Ebola hemorrhagic fever, Kikwit, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 1995: risk factors for patients without a reported exposureT H Roels
Epidemic Intelligence Service, Division of Applied Public Health Training, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
J Infect Dis 179:S92-7. 1999In 1995, 316 people became ill with Ebola hemorrhagic fever (EHF) in Kikwit, Democratic Republic of the Congo. The exposure source was not reported for 55 patients (17%) at the start of this investigation, and it remained unknown for 12 ..
- Sleeping sickness resurgence in the DRC: the past decadeS Van Nieuwenhove
WHO Regional Office for Africa, C/O WHO Kinshasa, DRC
Trop Med Int Health 6:335-41. 2001..Control activities have improved considerably in recent years, but a lot remains to be done and supplementary resources are needed...
- Predominance of HIV type 1 subtype G among commercial sex workers from Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of CongoC Yang
HIV Immunology and Diagnostics Branch and HIV and Retrovirology Branch, Division of AIDS, STD, and TB Laboratory Research, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 17:361-5. 2001..These data suggest a predominance of subtype G (both pure G and recombinant CRF02_AG) during the early part of the epidemic in Kinshasa. Infections with group N or SIVcpz-like viruses were not present among these CSWs in Kinshasa...
- Prevalence of chronic kidney disease in Kinshasa: results of a pilot study from the Democratic Republic of CongoErnest K Sumaili
Nephrology Unit, University of Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo, Belgium
Nephrol Dial Transplant 24:117-22. 2009..The aim of this study was to investigate the prevalence and the risk factors associated with CKD in Kinshasa, the capital of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC)...
- The application of geographic information systems and global positioning systems in humanitarian emergencies: lessons learned, programme implications and future researchReinhard Kaiser
International Emergency and Refugee Health Branch, National Center for Environmental Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Mail Stop F 48, 4770 Buford Highway NE, Atlanta, Georgia 30341, USA
Disasters 27:127-40. 2003..As equipment becomes more user-friendly and costs decrease, GIS will become more of a routine tool for humanitarian aid organisations in humanitarian emergencies, and new and innovative uses will evolve...
- Trypanosomiasis control, Democratic Republic of Congo, 1993-2003Pascal Lutumba
Programme National de Lutte contre la Trypanosomiase Humaine Africaine, Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo
Emerg Infect Dis 11:1382-8. 2005..To avoid reemergence of this disease, such efforts should be sustained...
- Screening for proteinuria and chronic kidney disease risk factors in Kinshasa: a World Kidney Day 2007 studyErnest K Sumaili
Nephrology Unit, University of Kinshasa, Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo
Nephron Clin Pract 110:c220-8. 2008..Such knowledge would guide the utility of population screening to prevent end-stage renal disease...
- Pregnancy and HIV-1 incidence in 178 married couples with discordant HIV-1 serostatus: additional experience at an HIV-1 counselling centre in the Democratic Republic of the CongoR W Ryder
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 8034, USA
Trop Med Int Health 5:482-7. 2000....
- Artesunate + amodiaquine and artesunate + sulphadoxine-pyrimethamine for treatment of uncomplicated malaria in Democratic Republic of Congo: a clinical trial with determination of sulphadoxine and pyrimethamine-resistant haplotypesT D Swarthout
Medecins Sans Frontieres, London, UK
Trop Med Int Health 11:1503-11. 2006..The 6.8% recrudescence rate indicates that AS + AQ should be monitored closely until a more effective artemisinin combination therapy regimen is needed and can be introduced...
- Epidemic resurgence of Chikungunya virus in democratic Republic of the Congo: identification of a new central African strainB Pastorino
Unité de virologie, Laboratoire Associé au Centre National de Référence Pour les Arboviroses, Institut de Medecine Tropicale du Service de Sante des Armees, Marseille Armees, France
J Med Virol 74:277-82. 2004The resurgence of Chikungunya virus is described during an urban epidemic in Kinshasa Democratic Republic of the Congo, after 39 years without any isolation of the virus...
- [Protein-energy malnutrition and malaria-related morbidity in children under 59 months in the Kivu region of the Democratic Republic of the Congo]P Mitangala Ndeba
Departement de Biostatistiques, Ecole de Santé, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Bruxelles, Belgique
Med Trop (Mars) 68:51-7. 2008In the Kivu region located in east of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, malnutrition and malaria is a major cause of morbidity and mortality...
- Satellite observations of Lava Lake activity at Nyiragongo volcano, ex-Zaire, during the Rwandan refugee crisisC Oppenheimer
University of Cambridge
Disasters 22:268-81. 1998..The aim of this paper is to promote the wider use of readily available technologies...
- dhfr and dhps genotype and sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine treatment failure in children with falciparum malaria in the Democratic Republic of CongoAlisa P Alker
Department of Epidemiology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Trop Med Int Health 13:1384-91. 2008To determine the relationship between mutations in dhfr and dhps and SP treatment failure in Plasmodium falciparum malaria in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).
- Rates and predictors of stroke-associated case fatality in black Central African patientsB Longo-Mbenza
Department of Cardiology and Pathophysiology, Division of Cardiology, University of Kinshasa, Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo
Cardiovasc J Afr 19:72-6. 2008..To identify case fatality rates and predictors of stroke in a private clinic in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo...
- Update on mortality in the Democratic Republic of Congo: results from a third nationwide surveyBenjamin Coghlan
Centre for International Health, Burnet Institute, 85 Commercial Rd, Melbourne 3004, Australia
Disaster Med Public Health Prep 3:88-96. 2009..We conducted our third nationwide survey to examine trends in mortality rates during a period of changing political, security, and humanitarian conditions...
- Cost-effectiveness of adding bed net distribution for malaria prevention to antenatal services in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the CongoSylvia I Becker-Dreps
Department of Family Medicine and Cecil G Sheps Center for Health Services Research, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7595, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 81:496-502. 2009..insecticide-treated bed nets (ITNs) for malaria prevention at antenatal clinics in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo. A decision tree model was used to estimate costs, outcomes, and incremental cost-effectiveness for ..
- Preventing vertical transmission of HIV in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo: a baseline survey of 18 antenatal clinicsFrieda Mtf Behets
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina at Chapel, NC, USA
Bull World Health Organ 84:969-75. 2006..To assess the content and delivery of essential antenatal services before implementation of programmes for prevention of mother-to-child transmission (PMTCT) of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)...
- [Corneal complications of traditional local ocular treatment in the Democratic Republic of the Congo]J C Mwanza
Service d Ophtalmologie, Cliniques Universitaires de Kinshasa, Kinshasa Limete, Republique Democratique du Congo
Med Trop (Mars) 61:500-2. 2001..included 53 patients who consulted from January 1998 to October 1999 at two hospitals in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, after visiting a traditional healer...
- Risk factors for Marburg hemorrhagic fever, Democratic Republic of the CongoDaniel G Bausch
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 9:1531-7. 2003..risk factors for Marburg hemorrhagic fever in an area of confirmed Marburg virus transmission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Questionnaires were administered and serum samples tested for Marburg-specific antibodies by enzyme-..
- HIV treatment in a conflict setting: outcomes and experiences from Bukavu, Democratic Republic of the CongoHeather Culbert
Medecins Sans Frontieres Holland, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
PLoS Med 4:e129. 2007
- [Prevalence of HIV and HBs antigen in blood donors. Residual risk of contamination in blood recipients in East Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo]C Mbendi Nlombi
Med Trop (Mars) 61:139-42. 2001Between January and August 1999, a total of 7277 blood donors at various health centers in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo were screened for human immunodeficiency virus 1 (HIV1) and hepatitis B surface antigen (HbsAg) using ..
- Use of protective gear and the occurrence of occupational Marburg hemorrhagic fever in health workers from Watsa health zone, Democratic Republic of the CongoMatthias Borchert
Epidemiology and Disease Control Unit, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium
J Infect Dis 196:S168-75. 2007..The goal of this study was to identify cases of occupational MHF in HWs from Durba and Watsa, Democratic Republic of the Congo; to assess levels of exposure and protection; and to explore reasons for inconsistent use of ..
- Short communication: a cluster of Marburg virus disease involving an infantMatthias Borchert
Epidemiology Unit, Department of Public Health, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium
Trop Med Int Health 7:902-6. 2002..The findings show that mild cases of MHF have to be expected during an outbreak and point out the difficulty to base patient management decisions on clinical case definitions alone...
- How to tackle the avalanche of chronic kidney disease in sub-Saharan Africa: the situation in the Democratic Republic of Congo as an exampleJean Marie Krzesinski
Nephrol Dial Transplant 22:332-5. 2007
- Trypanosomiasis in Kinshasa: distribution of the vector, Glossina fuscipes quanzensis, and risk of transmission in the peri-urban areaR De Deken
Institute of Tropical Medicine Antwerp, Belgium
Med Vet Entomol 19:353-9. 2005..The study produced strong indications that local transmission of human trypanosomiasis had occurred in the recent past in the peri-urban zone of Kinshasa...
- [Human African trypanosomiasis in an urban area: an emerging problem?]F J Louis
Cellule inter régionale OMS CDS CSR de surveillance et de lutte contre la trypanosomose humaine africaine, BP 155, Yaounde, Cameroun
Bull Soc Pathol Exot 96:205-8. 2003..Today a strategy has to be reconsidered in order to fight against the disease in the capital itself and to make the medical staff aware of the diagnosis of a disease still unknown in their sanitary district...
- [Anemia prevalence in pregnant and breast-feeding women in Lubumbashi (Democratic Republic of the Congo). Impact of malaria and intestinal helminthiasis]M K Kalenga
Unité Santé de la Reproduction, Faculté de Médecine de Lubumbashi, Republique Democratique du Congo
J Gynecol Obstet Biol Reprod (Paris) 32:647-53. 2003..To determine the prevalence of anemia and associated factors (malaria and intestinal helminthiasis) in high risk groups of Lubumbashi, Congo, particularly in pregnant and breast-feeding women and children aged 1-2 years...
- The nephrotic syndrome in the Democratic Republic of CongoNestor M Pakasa
N Engl J Med 354:1085-6. 2006
- Human African trypanosomiasis amongst urban residents in Kinshasa: a case-control studyJ Robays
Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium
Trop Med Int Health 9:869-75. 2004..Increasing numbers of human African trypanosomiasis (HAT) cases have been reported in urban residents of Kinshasa, Democratic Republic Congo since 1996. We set up a case-control study to identify risk factors for the disease...
- Genetic variability in human immunodeficiency virusesM Alizon
, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Ann N Y Acad Sci 511:376-84. 1987..An essential research goal is to identify the HIV envelope domains responsible for the virus-cellular surface antigen interaction since an immune response against these epitopes could elicit neutralizing antibodies for use in a vaccine...
- Short report: molecular markers associated with Plasmodium falciparum resistance to sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine in the Democratic Republic of CongoSandra Cohuet
Epicentre, Paris, France Médecins Sans Frontières, Brussels, Belgium Prince Leopold Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium
Am J Trop Med Hyg 75:152-4. 2006..9% (3/102) in Boende, and 0.9% (1/112) in Basankusu. These results suggest high resistance to pyrimethamine alone or combined with sulfadoxine. Adding artesunate to SP does not seem a valid alternative to the current monotherapy...
- Sexual violence in the Democratic Republic of the CongoNathan Taback
JAMA 300:653-4. 2008
- [Knowledge-attitudes-practices survey of the Songololo population (D.R. Congo) about Buruli ulcers]A Kibadi Kapay
Departement de Chirurgie, Cliniques Universitaires de Kinshasa, Universite de Kinshasa, Republique Democratique du Congo
Bull Soc Pathol Exot 97:302-5. 2004..The success of a program to fight against Buruli ulcer lies on health education which takes into account the representation systems of diseases...
- Wave-like spread of Ebola ZairePeter D Walsh
Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Primatology, Leipzig, Germany
PLoS Biol 3:e371. 2005..Controlling the impact of Ebola on wild apes and human populations may be more feasible than previously recognized...
- Marburg hemorrhagic fever--the forgotten cousin strikesHeinz Feldmann
Special Pathogens Program at the National Microbiology Laboratory, Public Health Agency of Canada, Winnipeg, Canada
N Engl J Med 355:866-9. 2006
- Ecology. Tracking Ebola's deadly march among wild apesGretchen Vogel
Science 314:1522-3. 2006
- Prevalence of pfcrt point mutations and level of chloroquine resistance in Plasmodium falciparum isolates from AfricaCarlo Severini
Department of Infectious, Parasitic and Immunomediated Diseases, Vector Borne Diseases and International Health Section, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Viale Regina Elena, 299, 00161 Rome, Italy
Infect Genet Evol 6:262-8. 2006..Our results give further evidence to the reliability of the 76T (and the linked 74I-75E) pfcrt point mutation as molecular marker for CQR...
- Endemic human monkeypox, Democratic Republic of Congo, 2001-2004Anne W Rimoin
University of California, Los Angeles, California, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 13:934-7. 2007..PCR demonstrated chickenpox in 61 patients. Coinfection with both viruses was found in 1 additional patient...
- High failure rates of melarsoprol for sleeping sickness, Democratic Republic of CongoJo Robays
Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium
Emerg Infect Dis 14:966-7. 2008..5%. This rate increased over the 3 years. Relapse rates were highest in the central part of the province...
- Mental health problems in a population without a previous modern psychiatric care systemJ N Chabwine
Faculty of Medicine, Catholic University of Bukavu, Democratic Republic of the Congo
Trop Doct 31:206-8. 2001..To decrease the burden imposed on mental health institutions by patients consulting for non-mental problems, it is desirable to integrate these institutions with the other components of the healthcare system...
- Childhood tuberculosis in a rural tropical area: risk factorsL Mbala
Trop Doct 32:119-20. 2002
- [An outbreak of "clinically defined" pertussis in the Democratic Republic of Congo]S Vong
Med Trop (Mars) 62:99. 2002
- Using community health workers for malaria control: experience in ZaireC Delacollette
Department of Community Health, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium
Bull World Health Organ 74:423-30. 1996..The non-comprehensiveness of the CHWs' care and their ambiguous position in the health care system created problems that compromise the sustainability of the intervention...
- Multiple infection with Plasmodium and helminths in communities of low and relatively high socio-economic statusJ G Tshikuka
Institute of Parasitology, Macdonald Campus, McGill University, St Anne de Bellevue, Canada
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 90:277-93. 1996..Infection with A. lumbricoides did not enter any of the models. No significant interactions were detected among parasites, indicating that there was no synergism or antagonism among parasites in the induced disease...
- Ascaris lumbricoides infection and environmental risk factors in an urban African settingJ G Tshikuka
Institute of Parasitology, McGill University, Ste Anne de Bellevue, , Canada
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 89:505-14. 1995....
- Conservation biology. Ebola, hunting push ape populations to the brinkJocelyn Kaiser
Science 300:232. 2003
- Counseling and testing TB patients for HIV: evaluation of three implementation models in Kinshasa, CongoA van Rie
Department of Epidemiology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7435, USA
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 12:73-8. 2008..Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo...
- Development of an immunofiltration-based antigen-detection assay for rapid diagnosis of Ebola virus infectionAndreas Lucht
Bundeswehr Institute of Microbiology, Munich, Germany
J Infect Dis 196:S184-92. 2007..The assay represents a first-generation rapid field test for the detection of EBOV antigen that can be performed in 30 min without electrical power or expensive or sensitive equipment...
- Enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli O157, KinshasaLouis Koyange
Emerg Infect Dis 10:968-9. 2004
- Active intestinal schistosomiasis in travellers returning from the Democratic Republic of the CongoJ Clerinx
Department of Clinical Sciences, Institute for Tropical Medicine Antwerp, Belgium
Euro Surveill 12:E071011.2. 2007
- Evidence in support of foster care during acute refugee crisesAnn Duerr
Division of Reproductive Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Am J Public Health 93:1904-9. 2003..We examined evidence to support this policy using data from the 1994 Rwandan refugee crisis...
- Mortality, violence and lack of access to healthcare in the Democratic Republic of CongoMichel van Herp
Disasters 27:141-53. 2003..Infectious-disease control and treatment are a priority, as is increasing access to health-care. Humanitarian assistance must be increased considerably, especially in rural areas and zones that have been affected directly by conflict...
- Treatment outcomes and risk factors for relapse in patients with early-stage human African trypanosomiasis (HAT) in the Republic of the CongoManica Balasegaram
Medecins Sans Frontieres, London, England
Bull World Health Organ 84:777-82. 2006..We aimed to assess whether the increased threshold of 10 cells/mm(3) is a safe indicator of stage 2 disease...
- Melarsoprol versus eflornithine for treating late-stage Gambian trypanosomiasis in the Republic of the CongoManica Balasegaram
Medecins Sans Frontieres, London, England
Bull World Health Organ 84:783-91. 2006..To compare the effectiveness of melarsoprol and eflornithine in treating late-stage Gambian trypanosomiasis in the Republic of the Congo...
- Providing care and facing death: nursing during Ebola outbreaks in central AfricaBonnie L Hewlett
Oregon State University, USA
J Transcult Nurs 16:289-97. 2005....
- Ebola virus can be effectively neutralized by antibody produced in natural human infectionT Maruyama
Departments of Immunology and Molecular Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Virol 73:6024-30. 1999..The neutralizing antibody may be useful in vaccine design and as a prophylactic agent against Ebola virus infection...
- Recent common ancestry of Ebola Zaire virus found in a bat reservoirRoman Biek
Center for Disease Ecology, Department of Biology, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
PLoS Pathog 2:e90. 2006
- Statistical inference in a stochastic epidemic SEIR model with control intervention: Ebola as a case studyPhenyo E Lekone
Department of Statistics, University of Warwick, Coventry CV4 7AL, UK
Biometrics 62:1170-7. 2006..This provides a realistic stochastic model that can be used by epidemiologists to study the dynamics of the disease and the effect of control interventions...
- Ebola in Africa--discoveries in the past decadeR R Arthur
Global Alert and Response, Department of Communicable Disease Surveillance and Response World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Euro Surveill 7:33-6. 2002..This report is a chronological overview of the EHF outbreaks in Africa during the past decade, including the recent epidemics in Gabon and the Republic of the Congo, and highlights new discoveries and some of the remaining challenges...
- Infectious disease (Ebola virus)Lori Murphy
College Health Science, Department of Baccalaureate and Graduate Nursing Program, Eastern Kentucky University, Richmond, KY 40475, USA
Ky Nurse 51:12. 2003
- The 1995 Kikwit Ebola outbreak--model of virus properties on system capacity and function: a lesson for future viral epidemicsRyan C W Hall
Case Western Reserve, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Am J Disaster Med 2:270-6. 2007The 1995 Kikwit Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is one of the first Ebola outbreaks to be treated in a hospital setting and is one of the most well-studied Ebola epidemics to have occurred to date...
- Pediatric human immunodeficiency virus screening in an African district hospitalA J De Baets
Nutrition and Child Health Unit, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Nationalestraat 155, B 2000 Antwerp, Belgium
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 12:86-92. 2005..screening at the district hospital level, a cross-sectional exploratory study was organized in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Venous and capillary phlebotomies were performed on 941 Congolese children, aged 1 month to 12 years ..
- Genetic epidemiology of malaria in the Democratic Republic of the CongoSTEVEN RICHARD MESHNICK; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Malaria is very highly endemic in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)...
- Neurodevelopment and HIV/AIDSAnnelies Van Rie; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Pediatric HIV-encephalopathy in DRC: effect of ART & role of compartmentalizationAnnelies Van Rie; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Peer Intervention as Pedagogic Paradigm in Kinshasa SPHFrieda Behets; Fiscal Year: 2006..Main outcome measures will be self reported sexual risk behaviors and STI/HIV incidence. The work will inform HIV prevention policy and strengthen research and training at KSPH ..
- The Emergence of HIV: A Molecular Archeology ApproachMichael Worobey; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- CD4 Immune Reconstitution in SIV InfectionFrancois Villinger; Fiscal Year: 2007..Results of these studies will form the basis for future immune reconstitution strategies in human HIV infected patients. ..
- Zn & Maternal-Infant Brain Function in S. Ethiopia: Randomized Controlled TrialsK Hambidge; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Efficacy of HIV Posttest Support for ANC in South AfricaSuzanne Maman; Fiscal Year: 2010....