Genomes and Genes
kaposi varicelliform eruption
Summary: A disseminated vesicular-pustular eruption caused by the herpes simplex virus (HERPESVIRUS HOMINIS), the VACCINIA VIRUS, or Varicella zoster (HERPESVIRUS 3, HUMAN). It is usually superimposed on a preexisting, inactive or active, atopic dermatitis (DERMATITIS, ATOPIC).
Publications113 found, 100 shown here
- Relapsing Kaposi's varicelliform eruption and herpes simplex following facial tacrolimus treatment for atopic dermatitisMidori Ambo
Acta Derm Venereol 82:224-5. 2002
- Exacerbation of atopic dermatitis in the emergency departmentFrederic Feye
Emergency Department Department of Dermatology, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Mont Godinne Hospital, B 5530 Yvoir, Belgium
Eur J Emerg Med 11:360-2. 2004..The association with herpetic keratitis is not frequent but is a major ophthalmological problem. Treatment consists of the administration of high-dose intravenous acyclovir and acyclovir ophthalmic ointment...
- [Eczema herpeticum: Pathogenesis and therapy]H C Rerinck
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Dermatologie und Allergologie, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat Munchen, Frauenlobstrasse 9 11, 80337 München
Hautarzt 57:586-91. 2006..Treatment of choice is systemic acyclovir therapy...
- Visual diagnosis: an 8-month-old infant who has an erupting rashTamar Stricker
University Children s Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
Pediatr Rev 28:231-4. 2007
- Rapidly increasing incidence of Kaposi's varicelliform eruption in patients with atopic dermatitisHajime Kimata
Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 74:260-1. 2008
- Inhibition of NK cell activity by IL-17 allows vaccinia virus to induce severe skin lesions in a mouse model of eczema vaccinatumYuko Kawakami
Division of Cell Biology, La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
J Exp Med 206:1219-25. 2009..Given low NK cell activities and increased IL-17 expression in atopic dermatitis patients, these results can explain the increased susceptibility of atopic dermatitis patients to eczema vaccinatum...
- Human atopic dermatitis complicated by eczema herpeticum is associated with abnormalities in IFN-γ responseDonald Y M Leung
Department of Pediatrics, National Jewish Health, Denver, CO 80206, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 127:965-73.e1-5. 2011..The basis for increased susceptibility of patients with atopic dermatitis (AD) to develop disseminated viral skin infections such as eczema herpeticum (AD with a history of eczema herpeticum, ADEH(+)) is poorly understood...
- The signal transducer and activator of transcription 6 gene (STAT6) increases the propensity of patients with atopic dermatitis toward disseminated viral skin infectionsMichael D Howell
Department of Pediatrics, National Jewish Health, Denver, Colo 80206, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 128:1006-14. 2011..Atopic dermatitis (AD) is a chronic inflammatory skin disease associated with increased susceptibility to recurrent skin infections...
- Filaggrin mutations that confer risk of atopic dermatitis confer greater risk for eczema herpeticumPei Song Gao
Johns Hopkins Asthma and Allergy Center, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 124:507-13, 513.e1-7. 2009..Associations have not been reported in African ancestry populations. Atopic dermatitis eczema herpeticum (ADEH) is a rare but serious complication of AD resulting from disseminated cutaneous herpes simplex virus infections...
- Cathelicidin deficiency predisposes to eczema herpeticumMichael D Howell
Division of Allergy and Immunology, Department of Pediatrics, National Jewish Medical and Research Center, Denver, Colorado 80206, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 117:836-41. 2006..Eczema herpeticum (ADEH) develops in a subset of patients with atopic dermatitis (AD) because of disseminated infection with herpes simplex virus (HSV)...
- Viral infections in atopic dermatitis: pathogenic aspects and clinical managementAndreas Wollenberg
Department of Dermatology and Allergy, Ludwig Maximilian University, Munich, Germany
J Allergy Clin Immunol 112:667-74. 2003..Eczema herpeticum is the most common member of this group; recent advances in understanding its pathogenesis might contribute to a more successful management of this serious complication...
- Predisposing factors and clinical features of eczema herpeticum: a retrospective analysis of 100 casesAndreas Wollenberg
Department of Dermatology and Allergy, Ludwig Maximilian University, Munich, Germany
J Am Acad Dermatol 49:198-205. 2003..Objective and methods We sought to characterize the clinical features and predisposing factors for EH. A retrospective analysis of 100 patients with EH seen from 1980 through 1996 and of 105 control patients with AD was performed...
- Smallpox vaccination: Risk considerations for patients with atopic dermatitisRenata J M Engler
Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Allergy Immunology Department, Washington, DC, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 110:357-65. 2002..Individuals with active or quiescent atopic dermatitis are at increased risk for vaccinia complications. The nature of these complications and other considerations are summarized in this rostrum...
- Kaposi varicelliform eruption (eczema herpeticum)Jonathan Olson
Department of Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA 98105, USA
Dermatol Online J 14:18. 2008..Antiviral treatment for eczema herpeticum is very effective, and should be instituted without delay to avoid significant morbidity and mortality...
- Secondary bacterial infections complicating skin lesionsItzhak Brook
Department of Pediatrics, Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, DC, USA
J Med Microbiol 51:808-12. 2002..These organisms probably reached these sites from the oral cavity, where they are part of the normal flora. This review highlights the polymicrobial aerobic-anaerobic microbiology of secondarily infected skin lesions...
- Phenotype of atopic dermatitis subjects with a history of eczema herpeticumLisa A Beck
Department of Dermatology, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 124:260-9, 269.e1-7. 2009..A subset of subjects with atopic dermatitis (AD) are susceptible to serious infections with herpes simplex virus, called eczema herpeticum, or vaccina virus, called eczema vaccinatum...
- A 33-year-old man with a facial rashJohn Fleming
Imperial College, London, United Kingdom
PLoS Med 1:e17; quiz e12. 2004
- Treatment of ocular disease in eczema herpeticumT P Margolis
F I Proctor Foundation, University of California, San Francisco
Am J Ophthalmol 110:274-9. 1990..The combined use of systemic acyclovir and topical trifluridine may be of similar value in treating all cases of atopic herpetic keratitis...
- Eczema herpeticum: a dermatologic emergencyChristine L Mackley
Penn State Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, PA, USA
Dermatol Nurs 14:307-10, 323; quiz 313. 2002..Two representative cases of eczema herpeticum along with discussion of the etiology, means of diagnosis, treatments, and complications of eczema herpeticum are presented...
- A case of Kaposi varicelliform eruption in Darier-White diseaseAlyssa A Donnelly
Branch Medical Clinic Everett, Washington, USA
Cutis 75:33-6. 2005..Patients with DWD are prone to frequent superinfection including the rare complication of Kaposi varicelliform eruption. It is postulated that a defect in cell-mediated immunity may contribute to this predisposition.
- Kaposi's varicelliform eruptionManjunath M Shenoy
Department of Skin and VD, K S Hegde Medical Academy, Deralakatte, Mangalore, India
Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 73:65. 2007..There was history of fever, malaise and extensive vesicular eruptions. Diagnosis was made based on clinical features and Tzanck smear examination. Patient responded adequately to oral acyclovir therapy...
- Kaposi's varicelliform eruption in a patient with phenytoin-induced drug rashC Ajith
Int J Dermatol 45:1452-3. 2006
- Eczema vaccinatum as an adverse event following exposure to vaccinia virus: case definition & guidelines of data collection, analysis, and presentation of immunization safety dataPatricia Nell
Airforce Reserve Command, United States Air Force, Sturgeon Bay, WI, USA
Vaccine 25:5725-34. 2007
- Current aspects of innate and adaptive immunity in atopic dermatitisAndreas Wollenberg
Department of Dermatology and Allergy, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Frauenlobstr 9 11, 80337, Munich, Germany
Clin Rev Allergy Immunol 33:35-44. 2007..Molluscum contagiosum virus produces a unique IL-18 binding protein to evade antiviral defense mechanisms. Innate and adaptive immunity do not simply coexist but are linked to one another in a complex network of skin immunobiology...
- [Vesicular/pustular lesions in a patient with atopic dermatitis]Rosa Gimenez
Sección de Dermatología Hospital Universitario Río Hortega Valladolid España
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 21:269-70. 2003
- Public health. Treating vaccine reactions: two lifelines, but no guaranteesMartin Enserink
Science 298:2313. 2002
- Selective killing of vaccinia virus by LL-37: implications for eczema vaccinatumMichael D Howell
Division of Allergy and Immunology, Department of Pediatrics, National Jewish Medical and Research Center, Denver, CO 80206, USA
J Immunol 172:1763-7. 2004..01). These data support a role for cathelicidins in the inhibition of orthopox virus (vaccinia) replication both in vitro and in vivo. Susceptibility of patients with AD to eczema vaccinatum may be due to a deficiency of cathelicidin...
- Close association of predominant genotype of herpes simplex virus type 1 with eczema herpeticum analyzed using restriction fragment length polymorphism of polymerase chain reactionMasami Yoshida
First Department of Dermatology, School of Medicine, Toho University, Omori nishi 5 21 16, Ota ku, Tokyo 143 8540, Japan
J Virol Methods 109:11-6. 2003..This is the first report of PCR-based approach for classification of HSV-1 strains into genotypes seeking an association of a genotype with clinical manifestation...
- Herpes simplex: autoinoculation versus disseminationBatsheva Marcus
Dermatology Unit Kaplan Medical Center, Rechovot, Israel
Acta Dermatovenerol Croat 13:237-41. 2005..Four cases of autoinoculation and two of KVE illustrate the differences between these two forms of viral spread...
- Junctional adhesion molecule overexpression in Kaposi varicelliform eruption skin lesions - as a possible herpes virus entry siteAna Maria Abreu-Velez
Georgia Dermatopathology Associates, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
N Am J Med Sci 2:433-7. 2010..The replication of HSV in cultured cells is accompanied by the appearance of surface receptors with an affinity for the Fc region of immunoglobulin G...
- Atypical hand, foot, and mouth disease associated with coxsackievirus A6 infection, Edinburgh, United Kingdom, January to February 2014C Sinclair
Department of Dermatology, Lauriston Building, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Euro Surveill 19:20745. 2014....
- Vaccinia virus inoculation in sites of allergic skin inflammation elicits a vigorous cutaneous IL-17 responseMichiko K Oyoshi
Division of Immunology, Children s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:14954-9. 2009..Addition of IL-17 promoted VV replication in skin explants. These results suggest that IL-17 may be a potential therapeutic target in EV...
- Images in emergency medicine. Eczema herpeticumDavid A Guss
University of California, San Diego, Department of Emergency Medicine, San Diego, CA, USA
Ann Emerg Med 52:83, 92. 2008
- IL-25 enhances HSV-1 replication by inhibiting filaggrin expression, and acts synergistically with Th2 cytokines to enhance HSV-1 replicationByung Eui Kim
Department of Pediatrics, National Jewish Health, Denver, Colorado, USA
J Invest Dermatol 133:2678-85. 2013..Filaggrin breakdown products, however, inhibited HSV-1 replication in vitro. ..
- Eczema vaccinatum: a reaction to the smallpox vaccine. A report of a rare but potentially lethal consequenceMary Jean Babic
Am J Nurs 107:30-1. 2007
- Pathological role of regulatory T cells in the initiation and maintenance of eczema herpeticum lesionsRyo Takahashi
Division of Flow Cytometry, Kyorin University Graduate School of Medicine, Mitaka, Tokyo 181 8611, Japan
J Immunol 192:969-78. 2014....
- IL-10 suppresses IL-17-mediated dermal inflammation and reduces the systemic burden of Vaccinia virus in a mouse model of eczema vaccinatumAlanna R Darling
Department of Pediatrics, Boston Children s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Clin Immunol 150:153-60. 2014....
- Complications of the smallpox vaccineBenjamin Schwartz
Department of Dermatology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine SE, 98 Street, New York, NY, 10029, USA
Int J Dermatol 44:289-92. 2005
- Hyperimmunoglobulin E syndrome: two cases and a review of the literatureChristine A DeWitt
Division of Dermatology, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Springfield, Illinois, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 54:855-65. 2006..He has occasional episodes of cold abscesses and sinusitis, but has had excellent control since institution of this regimen and has not experienced any adverse effects...
- Increased susceptibility to cutaneous viral infections in atopic dermatitis: the roles of regulatory T cells and innate immune defectsTetsuo Shiohara
Department of Dermatology, Kyorin University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Curr Probl Dermatol 41:125-35. 2011..Here we provide several potential explanations for why AD patients are at greater risk for eczema molluscatum...
- Three more learning pointsIgnacio Garcia-Doval
PLoS Med 2:e30. 2005
- A case of atopic dermatitis and erythema multiformeJ S Rosa
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90027, USA
Eur Ann Allergy Clin Immunol 44:30-1. 2012..To our knowledge, this is the first reported case of a patient with atopic dermatitis presenting with erythema multiforme likely secondary to eczema herpeticum and HSV viremia...
- Kaposi's varicelliform eruption: a case report and review of the literatureSasha C Kramer
Department of Dermatology, Geisinger Medical Center, Danville, Pennsylvania 17822, USA
Cutis 73:115-22. 2004....
- Comparative proteomic profiling of patients with atopic dermatitis based on history of eczema herpeticum infection and Staphylococcus aureus colonizationCarolyn J Broccardo
Department of Immunology, National Jewish Health, Denver, Colo 80206, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 127:186-93, 193.e1-11. 2011..Eczema herpeticum is a disseminated herpes simplex virus infection that occurs in a small subset of patients...
- Eczema vaccinatumJennifer L Reed
Laboratory of Plasma Derivatives, Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, Food and Drug Administration, Rockville, MD 20892, USA
Clin Infect Dis 54:832-40. 2012..We conclude by considering how its occurrence might be minimized in the event of a return to universal vaccination...
- Topical corticosteroids and hospital length of stay in children with eczema herpeticumPaul L Aronson
Division of Emergency Medicine, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Pediatr Dermatol 30:215-21. 2013....
- Facial rash - a case studyKam Cheong Wong
Prevocational Education and Training, Beyond Medical Education, University of Sydney, New South Wales
Aust Fam Physician 41:503-4. 2012..He had a past history of eczema but no other significant past medical history and no allergies. He was not taking any regular medications...
- Eczema herpeticumAndreas Wollenberg
Department of Dermatology, Ludwig Maximilian University, Munich, Germany muenchen de
Chem Immunol Allergy 96:89-95. 2012..This contribution covers eczema herpeticum, the disseminated viral infection of an eczematous skin disease with the herpes simplex virus, as it is the clinically most important viral complication of AD...
- A case of pityriasis rubra pilaris with associated focal acantholytic dyskeratosis complicated by Kaposi's varicelliform eruptionGulsun Erdag
Section of Dermatopathology, Department of Pathology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, USA
J Cutan Pathol 38:919-22. 2011..We report a patient with PRP whose biopsies showed both herpes simplex infection and FAD. A complete understanding of the mechanism behind this eruption evolved gradually, aided in great measure by the histopathologic findings...
- Empiric antibiotics and outcomes of children hospitalized with eczema herpeticumPaul L Aronson
Division of Emergency Medicine, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Pediatr Dermatol 30:207-14. 2013..These findings highlight the importance of early recognition of systemic bacterial illness in children with eczema herpeticum. Empiric antibiotics did not affect mortality, which is low...
- Delayed acyclovir and outcomes of children hospitalized with eczema herpeticumPaul L Aronson
Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Pediatrics 128:1161-7. 2011..To describe the epidemiology and outcomes of children hospitalized with eczema herpeticum and to determine the association with delayed acyclovir on outcomes...
- Update on systemic therapies for atopic dermatitisKristopher S Denby
Department of Dermatology, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 12:421-6. 2012..Familiarity with the latest literature on the benefits and risks of these treatments will enable the clinician and patient to select the most appropriate therapy based on the patient's lifestyle, assessments of risks and comorbidities...
- Why is eczema herpeticum unexpectedly rare?Donald Y M Leung
Department of Pediatrics, National Jewish Health, Denver, CO 80206, USA
Antiviral Res 98:153-7. 2013..ADEH+ subjects are also more likely to have a history of food allergy or asthma, early onset of AD and a history of other cutaneous infections with Staphylococcus aureus or molluscum contagiosum...
- Susceptibility to vaccinia virus infection and spread in mice is determined by age at infection, allergen sensitization and mast cell statusJoanne Domenico
Division of Cell Biology, Department of Pediatrics, National Jewish Health, Denver, CO 80206, USA
Int Arch Allergy Immunol 158:196-205. 2012....
- Genetic variants in interferon regulatory factor 2 (IRF2) are associated with atopic dermatitis and eczema herpeticumPei Song Gao
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins Asthma and Allergy Center, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
J Invest Dermatol 132:650-7. 2012..008). Our findings suggest that distinct markers in IRF2 may be associated with AD and ADEH, which may depend upon ethnic ancestry, and genetic variants in IRF2 may contribute to an abnormal immune response to HSV...
- Innate immunity in atopic dermatitisAndreas Wollenberg
Department of Dermatology and Allergy, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Germany
Clin Rev Allergy Immunol 41:272-81. 2011..Future therapeutic approaches to AD may include enhancement of impaired innate in addition to downregulation of dysfunctional adaptive immunity...
- Kaposi's varicelliform eruption. Absence of ocular involvementD P Fivenson
Department of Dermatology, University of Cincinnati, Ohio College of Medicine
Arch Dermatol 126:1037-9. 1990..All random conjunctival swab cultures performed in 3 patients were positive for growth of viable HSV. Although ocular exposure to HSV may commonly occur in KVE, ocular pathology due to this virus does not appear to be a common sequela...
- Kaposi's varicelliform eruption in an HIV-positive patient after laser resurfacingM Rodriguez-Serna
Department of Dermatology, Hospital General Universitario, Avd Tres Cruces, S N Valencia 46014, Spain
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 18:711-2. 2004..This is the first report, to the best of our knowledge, of Kaposi's varicelliform eruption after laser resurfacing. The immunodepressed status of the patient may have played a role in her infection...
- Kaposi's varicelliform eruption in association with rosaceaIsil Kucukyilmaz
Department of Dermatology, Akdeniz University School of Medicine, Antalya, Turkey
J Am Acad Dermatol 51:S169-72. 2004..We report here a new case of Kaposi's varicelliform eruption in a 38-year-old woman with rosacea. To our knowledge, this is the first case of Kaposi's varicelliform eruption associated with rosacea to be reported...
- The clinical spectrum and therapeutic challenge of eczema herpeticumStephanie Frisch
Department of Pediatrics and Dermatology, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, Saint Louis, Missouri 63104, USA
Pediatr Dermatol 28:46-52. 2011....
- Atopic dermo-respiratory syndrome is a correlate of eczema herpeticumT Hinz
Department of Dermatology and Allergy, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Allergy 66:925-33. 2011..The aim of this work was to identify changes in clinical and laboratory parameters in acute EH patients, before and after 6 weeks of treatment, as well as differences between AD patients with and without a history of EH...
- Kaposi varicelliform eruption in an infantSilvano Menni
Clinica Dermatologica IV, Università degli Studi di Milano Ospedale S Paolo, Milan, Italy
J Pediatr 146:432. 2005
- Specificity protein 1 is pivotal in the skin's antiviral responseLianghua Bin
Department of Pediatrics, National Jewish Health, Denver, Colo, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 127:430-438.e1-2. 2011..Previous studies have found specificity protein (Sp) 1 transcription factor in the viral replication machinery and postulated that Sp1 was required for viral replication in host cells...
- Eczema herpeticum: a case reportM S Khan
Department of Paediatric Dentistry, Birmingham Children s Hospital, Birmingham, UK
Int J Paediatr Dent 15:136-9. 2005..This paper describes one such case, discusses the aetiology, presentation and management of this condition, and highlights the importance of early recognition by the clinician...
- Skin inflammation arising from cutaneous regulatory T cell deficiency leads to impaired viral immune responsesEva Jasmin Freyschmidt
Division of Immunology, Department of Medicine, Children s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Immunol 185:1295-302. 2010..p.) induced immune responses comparable to controls. Our findings implicate allergic skin inflammation resulting from local Treg deficiency in the pathogenesis of EV...
- Recurrent herpes simplex infection in multiple locations in an otherwise healthy boyPeter Komericki
Department for Environmental Dermatology and Venereology, Medical University of Graz, Graz, Austria
Pediatr Dermatol 27:113-4. 2010..We confirmed a diagnosis of multifocal herpes simplex infection, and hypothesize that this was a result of his previous eczema herpeticum, an unusual complication, in an otherwise healthy and immunocompetent child...
- Vaccinia virus-specific molecular signature in atopic dermatitis skinDmitry N Grigoryev
Division of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 125:153-159.e28. 2010..However, the precise mechanism or mechanisms and key factor or factors of EV are unknown...
- Psoriasis herpeticum: three cases of Kaposi's varicelliform eruption in psoriasisBeth R Santmyire-Rosenberger
Department of Dermatology, Washington Hospital Center, Washington, DC 20010, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 53:52-6. 2005..KVE is most often seen in patients with underlying atopic dermatitis, but has also been seen in association with other papulosquamous and acantholytic disorders. However, eczema herpeticum rarely occurs in patients with psoriasis...
- High frequency of detection of herpes simplex virus DNA in the oral cavity of patients with eczema herpeticumMasami Yoshida
First Department of Dermatology, Toho University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Dermatology 209:101-3. 2004..It has been reported that herpes simplex virus (HSV) DNA was detected in the oral cavity of patients with herpes labialis under various conditions such as during oral surgery...
- Photo Quiz. What is your diagnosis? Eczema herpeticum superinfection in a patient with pemphigus vulgarisChristine L Mackley
Department of Dermatology, Milton S Hershey Medical Center, Pennsylvania State College of Medicine, Hershey, USA
Cutis 73:301, 317-8. 2004
- Images in clinical medicine. Eczema vaccinatum--a timely reminderAllon E Moses
Hadassah University Medical Center, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
N Engl J Med 346:1287. 2002
- Unilateral Darier's disease complicated by Kaposi's varicelliform eruption limited to the affected skinY Fortuño
Br J Dermatol 146:1106-7. 2002
- Two unusual cases of Kaposi's varicelliform eruptionA Saraswat
Acta Derm Venereol 82:138-9. 2002
- Adults with atopic dermatitis and herpes simplex and topical therapy with tacrolimus: what kind of prevention?Jann Lubbe
Arch Dermatol 139:670-1. 2003
- Eczematous skin disease and recall of past diagnoses: implications for smallpox vaccinationAllison L Naleway
Marshfield Clinic Research Foundation, Marshfield, Wisconsin 54449, USA
Ann Intern Med 139:1-7. 2003..According to current recommendations, a preexposure vaccination program should identify these persons and exclude them from participating...
- [Eczema herpeticum caused by herpes simplex virus type 2. Review of the literature about one case]Francisca Schroeder H
Servicio de Dermatologia y Venereologia, Hospital Barros Luco Trudeau, Santiago, Chile
Rev Chilena Infectol 26:356-9. 2009....
- Eczema herpeticum localized to area of tinea crurisSung Ho Kang
Department of Dermatology, Chonbuk National University Medical School, Korea
J Dermatol 31:60-2. 2004..We experienced a patient with tinea cruris who developed EH within a fungal infection. To our knowledge, dermatophyte infection as an underlying cutaneous disorder for EH has not been previously described in the English literature...
- Images in clinical medicine. Use of multinucleated giant cells to diagnose a viral eruptionFrank C Koranda
University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS 66160, USA
N Engl J Med 350:e6. 2004
- Kaposi varicelliform eruption associated with 0.1% tacrolimus ointment treatment in atopic blepharitisMinori Miyake-Kashima
Department of Ophthalmology, Tokyo Dental College, Chiba 272 8513, Japan
Cornea 23:190-3. 2004To report the association of Kaposi varicelliform eruption (KVE) with 0.1% tacrolimus ointment treatment of atopic blepharitis in a patient with atopic dermatitis (AD).
- [A case of rhabdomyolysis associated with Kaposi's varicelliform eruption]Masahiro Takaki
Institute of Tropical Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Nagasaki University
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 78:59-63. 2004..It was localized in the iliopsoas muscles. Since severe rhabdomyolysis may induce fatal acute renal failure, it is important to recognize that rhabdomyolysis can complicate Herpes simplex virus infection...
- [Eczema herpeticatum]S Wetzel
Klinik und Poliklinik für Dermatologie und Allergologie der Ludwig Maximilians Universität München, Munchen
Hautarzt 55:646-52. 2004..While intravenous acyclovir is still regarded as standard treatment of eczema herpeticum, several recently-developed antiviral drugs provide therapeutic options...
- Angiogenic cytokines in serum and cutaneous lesions of patients with polyarteritis nodosaKanako Kikuchi
Department of Dermatology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
J Am Acad Dermatol 53:57-61. 2005....
- Eczema herpeticum and clinical criteria for investigating smallpoxDavid A Boyd
Department of Dermatology, Naval Hospital Jacksonville, Jacksonville, Florida 32214, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 15:1102-4. 2009..The Tzanck preparation was critical for rapid diagnosis of herpetic infection and exclusion of smallpox...
- Acute skin conditions in childrenC Rosalind Gait
Department of Dermatology, University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust, Leicester Royal Infirmary, Leicester LE1 5WW
Br J Hosp Med (Lond) 69:M56-8. 2008
- Kaposi's varicelliform eruption complicating allergic contact dermatitisAndrea Paradisi
J Am Acad Dermatol 54:732-3. 2006
- Eczema and infectionPatricia A Treadwell
Department of Pediatrics, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 27:551-2. 2008
- Risk factors of atopic dermatitis patients for eczema herpeticumWenming M Peng
J Invest Dermatol 127:1261-3. 2007
- Severe eczema vaccinatum in a household contact of a smallpox vaccineeSurabhi Vora
Section of Infectious Diseases, University of Chicago Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Clin Infect Dis 46:1555-61. 2008..The father had a history of inactive eczema but reportedly reacted normally to the vaccine. The child's mother also developed contact vaccinia infection...
- Adverse event related to smallpox vaccinationNellie Bristol
Disaster Med Public Health Prep 1:11-2. 2007
- Smallpox vaccine. A tame virus runs amokJocelyn Kaiser
Science 316:1418-9. 2007
- Vesiculopapular rashAndrea L Ciaranello
Division of Infectious Disease, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Clin Infect Dis 43:1308, 1368-9. 2006
- [Vesicular lesions localized to eyelids]M Feito Rodríguez
Servicio de Dermatologia, Hospital Universitario La Paz, Madrid, Espana
An Pediatr (Barc) 67:183-4. 2007
- Autoinoculation and dissemination are two different forms of herpes virus spreadRonni Wolf
Dermatology Unit Kaplan Medical Center, 76100 Rechovot, Israel
Acta Dermatovenerol Croat 14:258-60. 2006..Presented are typical examples of the two forms of viral spread...
- Kaposi's varicelliform eruption associated with the use of tacrolimus ointment in two neonatesHajime Kimata
Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 74:262-3. 2008
- Eczema herpeticum: making the diagnosis in the emergency departmentJames S Studdiford
Department of Family and Community Medicine, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
J Emerg Med 40:167-9. 2011..Recognition of EH in the acute care setting is essential for the provision of timely and specific treatment and to avoid the serious sequelae of this condition...
- Eczema herpeticum in a patient with atopicdermatitis treated with topical tacrolimusA Khalid
Ir Med J 98:220-1. 2005
- [Eruptive spread of erosive skin lesions in a 33-year old patient]Mirjana Ziemer
Klinik für Dermatologie und dermatologische Allergologie der Friedrich Schiller Universität Jena
J Dtsch Dermatol Ges 2:459-61. 2004
- Eczema vaccinatum resulting from the transmission of vaccinia virus from a smallpox vaccinee: an investigation of potential fomites in the home environmentEdith Lederman
Poxvirus and Rabies Branch, Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Vaccine 27:375-7. 2009..Both siblings were found to have serologic evidence of orthopoxvirus exposure. These findings have implications for smallpox preparedness, especially in situations where some household members are not candidates for vaccination...
- Analysis of herpes simplex virus type 1 restriction fragment length polymorphism variants associated with herpes gladiatorum and Kaposi's varicelliform eruption in sumo wrestlersFumihiko Ban
Herpesvirus Laboratory, Department of Virology I, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, Toyama 1 23 1, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 162 8640, Japan
J Gen Virol 89:2410-5. 2008..These data indicated that reactivation and transmission of latent HSV-1 infections, especially BgK(L), occurred frequently among wrestlers and was caused by severe skin damage. These results support the BgK(L) dispersion hypothesis...
- Fatal outcome due to bacterial superinfection of eczema herpeticum in a patient with mycosis fungoidesSusana Mallo-Garcia
Dermatol Online J 14:21. 2008b>Kaposi varicelliform eruption or eczema herpeticum is well known to be associated with several chronic dermatoses, including atopic dermatitis, foliaceus pemphigus, seborrheic dermatitis, Darier disease, and congenital ichthyosiform ..
- Eczema herpeticum during treatment of atopic dermatitis with 1% pimecrolimus creamSonia Segura
Acta Derm Venereol 85:524-5. 2005
- Tec inhibitors- A new therapeutic for allergic diseasesYuko Kawakami; Fiscal Year: 2003..Since we have a screening method for searching for Tec inhibitors whose usefulness has been proven, we will also expand our search for better compounds. ..
- MECHANISMS OF CHEMOKINE-INDUCED INFLAMMATION IN HUMANSLisa Beck; Fiscal Year: 2005..Results of these studies are likely to provide insights into the mechanisms by which chemokines induce cutaneous cell recruitment and will likely identify entirely new biological effects of C-C chemokines. ..