Genomes and Genes
herpes simplex encephalitis
Summary: An acute (or rarely chronic) inflammatory process of the brain caused by SIMPLEXVIRUS infections which may be fatal. The majority of infections are caused by human herpesvirus 1 (HERPESVIRUS 1, HUMAN) and less often by human herpesvirus 2 (HERPESVIRUS 2, HUMAN). Clinical manifestations include FEVER; HEADACHE; SEIZURES; HALLUCINATIONS; behavioral alterations; APHASIA; hemiparesis; and COMA. Pathologically, the condition is marked by a hemorrhagic necrosis involving the medial and inferior TEMPORAL LOBE and orbital regions of the FRONTAL LOBE. (From Adams et al., Principles of Neurology, 6th ed, pp751-4)
Publications214 found, 100 shown here
- Herpes simplex encephalitisP G E Kennedy
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 73:237-8. 2002
- Herpes simplex infections of the nervous systemJ Richard Baringer
Department of Neurology, University of Utah Health Sciences Center, 50 North Medical Drive, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Neurol Clin 26:657-74, viii. 2008..Physicians need to develop an increased awareness of the early signs and symptoms of the presentation of HSVE, and of the imperative for early treatment...
- Herpes simplex encephalitis: diagnostic problems and late relapseXavier De Tiège
Department of Paediatric Neurology, Hopital Cochin Saint Vincent de Paul, Paris, France
Dev Med Child Neurol 48:60-3. 2006..Delayed intrathecal synthesis of specific anti-HSV antibodies was found on day 26 and confirmed herpes simplex encephalitis (HSE) diagnosis...
- Re-evaluating the diagnostic methods in herpes simplex encephalitisAmer Al-Shekhlee
The Neurological Institute, University Hospitals of Cleveland, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44145, USA
Herpes 13:17-9. 2006Several methods are used in clinical practice to investigate herpes simplex encephalitis (HSE), including electroencephalography (EEG) and polymerase chain reaction (PCR) of the viral genome in cerebrospinal fluid...
- Appropriate use of polymerase chain reaction for detection of herpes simplex virus 2 in cerebrospinal fluid of patients at an inner-city hospitalNelia Afonso
Division of Infectious Diseases, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 57:309-13. 2007..PCR testing for HSV-2 in CSF at inner-city hospitals can be greatly reduced by the application of these parameters...
- TLR3 deficiency in patients with herpes simplex encephalitisShen Ying Zhang
Human Genetics of Infectious Diseases, Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale INSERM, U550, Faculty Necker, Paris 75015, France
Science 317:1522-7. 2007..Human TLR3 appears to be redundant in host defense to most microbes but is vital for natural immunity to HSV-1 in the CNS, which suggests that neurotropic viruses have contributed to the evolutionary maintenance of TLR3...
- Human TRAF3 adaptor molecule deficiency leads to impaired Toll-like receptor 3 response and susceptibility to herpes simplex encephalitisRebeca Pérez de Diego
Laboratory of Human Genetics of Infectious Diseases, Necker Branch, Inserm U980, Necker Medical School, Paris, France
Immunity 33:400-11. 2010..Thus, TLR3-mediated immunity against primary infection by HSV-1 in the central nervous system is critically dependent on TRAF3...
- Herpes simplex encephalitis: adolescents and adultsRichard J Whitley
Department of Pediatrics, Infectious Diseases, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, 1600 Seventh Avenue, CHB 303, Birmingham, AL 35233, United States
Antiviral Res 71:141-8. 2006b>Herpes simplex encephalitis (HSE) remains one of the most devastating infections of the central nervous system despite available antiviral therapy. Children and adolescents account for approximately one third of all cases of HSE...
- Cerebrospinal fluid levels of cytokines in non-herpetic acute limbic encephalitis: comparison with herpes simplex encephalitisTakashi Ichiyama
Department of Pediatrics, Yamaguchi University Graduate School of Medicine, 1 1 1 Minamikogushi, Ube, Yamaguchi 755 8505, Japan
Cytokine 44:149-53. 2008..Recently, non-herpetic acute limbic encephalitis (NHALE) was identified as a new subgroup of limbic encephalitis. The immunological pathophysiology of NHALE is still unclear...
- Herpes simplex replication and dissemination is not increased by corticosteroid treatment in a rat model of focal Herpes encephalitisK A Thompson
Infectious Diseases Unit, School of Medicine, Monash University, Victoria, Australia
J Neurovirol 6:25-32. 2000..Corticosteroids could have an important role in the management of Herpes simplex encephalitis because their anti-inflammatory action reduces cerebral oedema...
- Murray valley encephalitis mimicking herpes simplex encephalitisS H Wong
Department of Neurology and Clinical Neurophysiology, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Hospital Avenue, Nedlands, WA 6009, Australia
J Clin Neurosci 12:822-4. 2005..Valley encephalitis (MVE), whose presentation was clinically and radiologically characteristic of Herpes simplex encephalitis (HSE)...
- Choreoathetosis after herpes simplex encephalitis with basal ganglia involvement on MRIMegan Wills Kullnat
Department of Pediatrics and Neurology, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, NH, USA
Pediatrics 121:e1003-7. 2008....
- Herpes simplex encephalitis: diffusion MR imaging findingsR N Sener
Department of Radiology, Ege University Hospital, Bornova, 35100, Izmir, Turkey
Comput Med Imaging Graph 25:391-7. 2001We studied five patients with herpes simplex encephalitis type 1 with diffusion-weighted MR imaging, as this sequence provides information regarding tissue integrity. Diffusion-weighted imaging was obtained using the echo-planar sequence...
- Incidence and pathogenesis of clinical relapse after herpes simplex encephalitis in adultsB Sköldenberg
Karolinska Institutet, Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
J Neurol 253:163-70. 2006To study the occurrence of relapse of herpes simplex encephalitis (HSE) and to find out whether soluble activity markers in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) indicate direct viral or immune- mediated events.
- Herpes simplex encephalitis relapses in children: differentiation of two neurologic entitiesX De Tiege
Department of Pediatric Neurology, Hopital Saint Vincent de Paul, Paris, France
Neurology 61:241-3. 2003Relapses of herpes simplex encephalitis (HSE) occurring after the completion of antiviral treatment have been reported repeatedly in children. The authors report data on six children who had at least one relapse of HSE...
- Acute intracerebral haematoma--an unusual presentation of herpes simplex encephalitisA Biswas
Department of Neurology, Bangur Institute of Neurology, Kolkata
J Assoc Physicians India 52:69-71. 2004..The patient made an excellent recovery following a course of acyclovir. Frank intracerebral haematoma in the form of well defined mass on CT scan in patient with herpes simplex encephalitis is extremely rare.
- Exacerbation of herpes simplex encephalitis after successful treatment with acyclovirY Ito
Department of Pediatrics, Nagoya University School of Medicine, Nagoya 466 8550, Japan
Clin Infect Dis 30:185-7. 2000b>Herpes simplex encephalitis (HSE) in children sometimes exacerbates after successful treatment; yet the frequency, etiology, and clinical features of exacerbation remain unclear...
- Category deficits and paradoxical dissociations in Alzheimer's disease and Herpes Simplex EncephalitisKeith R Laws
Nottingham Trent University, UK
J Cogn Neurosci 17:1453-9. 2005..frequently accompanied by impaired semantic memory (19 patients with Alzheimer's disease and 15 with Herpes Simplex Encephalitis)...
- Coexistence of Alzheimer disease neuropathology with herpes simplex encephalitisF J Denaro
Department of Biology, The Dixon Science Research Center, Morgan State University, and Institute of Human Virology, Animal Models Division, Cold Spring Lane, Baltimore, MD 21251, USA
Cell Mol Biol (Noisy-le-grand) 49:1233-40. 2003..Such may be the case if there is reactivation of a previously undiagnosed herpes virus infection. With the development of PCR and in situ hybridization diagnosis will be simplified and more definitive...
- Serum S-100B protein levels in patients with herpes simplex encephalitis and tick-borne encephalitis--a marker of CNS damage during the initial stage of diseaseMarie Studahl
Dept of Infectious Diseases, The Sahlgrenska Academy, Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
J Neurol 256:586-90. 2009This study was mainly aimed at the comparative analysis of serum S-100B protein in patients with herpes simplex encephalitis (HSE) and tick-borne encephalitis (TBE)...
- Monitoring of herpes simplex virus DNA types 1 and 2 viral load in cerebrospinal fluid by real-time PCR in patients with herpes simplex encephalitisLottie Schloss
Department of Virology, Swedish Institute for Infectious Disease Control, Solna, Sweden
J Med Virol 81:1432-7. 2009..While the quantitative PCR is more rational than a nested PCR, the quantitation of HSV genomes does not seem very useful as a prognostic marker in HSV encephalitis...
- Herpes simplex encephalitis during treatment with tumor necrosis factor-alpha inhibitorsRussell D Bradford
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Pediatrics, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35233, USA
Clin Infect Dis 49:924-7. 2009..Although TNF-alpha inhibitors have been reported to increase the risk of other infectious diseases, to our knowledge, an association between anti-TNF-alpha drugs and herpes simplex virus encephalitis has not been previously described...
- Herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1)--induced retinitis following herpes simplex encephalitis: indications for brain-to-eye transmission of HSV-1J Maertzdorf
Department of Virology, Erasmus University, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Ann Neurol 49:104-6. 2001b>Herpes simplex encephalitis is a severe neurological disease with high mortality and morbidity rates...
- The spectrum of herpes simplex encephalitis in childrenXavier De Tiège
Department of Paediatric Neurology, ULB Hopital Erasme, Brussels, Belgium
Eur J Paediatr Neurol 12:72-81. 2008Clinical and basic science research carried out in recent years into herpes simplex encephalitis (HSE) have shown that the concept of a "classical" picture of HSE in children is now outdated and that our current knowledge of the disease ..
- Outcome of and prognostic factors for herpes simplex encephalitis in adult patients: results of a multicenter studyFranck Raschilas
Laboratoire de Virologie, Hopital Saint Vincent de Paul, and Service de Réanimation des Maladies Infectieuses, Hopital Bichat Claude Bernard, Paris, France
Clin Infect Dis 35:254-60. 2002Management of herpes simplex encephalitis (HSE) has been considerably improved by the availability of acyclovir therapy and rapid polymerase chain reaction (PCR)-based diagnostic assays...
- The chemokine CCL5 is essential for leukocyte recruitment in a model of severe Herpes simplex encephalitisMárcia Carvalho Vilela
Departamento de Clinica Medica, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1153:256-63. 2009..However, blocking of CCR1 and CCR5 did not affect HSV-1 replication, suggesting that other immune mechanisms are involved in the process of infection control...
- [Herpes simplex encephalitis in childhood]Hiroshi Kimura
Department of Virology, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine
Rinsho Shinkeigaku 46:958-60. 2006Central nervous system (CNS) infection by herpes simplex virus (HSV) in childhood consists of herpes simplex encephalitis and CNS infections in neonates...
- Basal ganglia involvement in a child with herpes simplex encephalitisGobinda Mondal
Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, Department of Pediatrics, Medical College and Hospital, Kolkata, India
Indian J Pediatr 76:749-50. 2009b>Herpes simplex encephalitis (HSE) is a leading cause of sporadic, nonepidemic viral encephalitis in children and adults...
- Herpes simplex encephalitis: MRI findings in two cases confirmed by polymerase chain reaction assayJ W Lee
Department of Radiology, Seoul National University Hospital, 28 Yongon-dong, Chongno-gu, Seoul 110-744, Korea
Pediatr Radiol 31:619-23. 2001..We present MRI findings of two cases of herpes simplex encephalitis (HSE) confirmed by PCR analysis, focusing on the serial changes after acyclovir therapy: gyral swelling,..
- Atypical case of Herpes simplex encephalitisP Auyeung
Intern Med J 38:294-5. 2008
- Outcome of herpes simplex encephalitis in childrenWen Bin Hsieh
Department of Pediatrics, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
J Microbiol Immunol Infect 40:34-8. 2007b>Herpes simplex encephalitis (HSE) can cause high mortality and morbidity in children. Since local data of HSE in children are rare, we performed a retrospective study to evaluate the prognostic factors and outcome of HSE in Taiwan.
- Herpes simplex encephalitis in a domestic rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus)P Grest
Institute of Veterinary Pathology, University of Zurich, Zurich, 8057, Switzerland
J Comp Pathol 126:308-11. 2002..The agent was classified as HSV-1 by polymerase chain reaction analysis. This is only the second reported natural case of herpes simplex infection in a rabbit...
- Neurolisteriosis mimicking herpes simplex encephalitis in an immunocompromized patientJohn Protopsaltis
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Tzanio General Hospital, Piraeus, Greece
Scand J Infect Dis 38:825-8. 2006..Nevertheless, PCR in CSF for Listeria monocytogens was positive. This case implies that Listeria might be considered in patients with clinical and imaging suspicion of herpetic encephalitis...
- Patients with suspected herpes simplex encephalitis: rethinking an initial negative polymerase chain reaction resultAna A Weil
Viral and Rickettsial Disease Laboratory, Division of Communicable Disease Control, California Department of Health Services, Richmond, CA, 94804, USA
Clin Infect Dis 34:1154-7. 2002A statewide encephalitis diagnostic project of the California State Department of Health Services found that herpes simplex virus 1 DNA may not be detectable by molecular methods early in the clinical course of herpes simplex encephalitis.
- Screening for possible failure of herpes simplex virus PCR in cerebrospinal fluid for the diagnosis of herpes simplex encephalitisE Puchhammer-Stöckl
Institute of Virology, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
J Med Virol 64:531-6. 2001..reliability of herpes simplex virus (HSV) PCR testing in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) for the detection of herpes simplex encephalitis. This was done by examining retrospectively the clinical follow-up of a large group of patients tested ..
- Herpes simplex encephalitis in Sweden, 1990-2001: incidence, morbidity, and mortalityAnders Hjalmarsson
Infectious Diseases Unit, Department of Medicine Solna, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Clin Infect Dis 45:875-80. 2007b>Herpes simplex encephalitis (HSE) is a devastating disease.
- Differential diagnosis of mesiotemporal lesions: case report of neurosyphilisA Vieira Santos
Neuroradiology Department, Garcia de Orta Hospital, Almada, Portugal
Neuroradiology 47:664-7. 2005We report a clinical and imaging case of suspected herpes simplex encephalitis subsequently diagnosed as neurosyphilis based on positive antibodies in the CSF...
- Clinical spectrum, pitfalls in diagnosis and therapeutic implications in herpes simplex encephalitisS Jha
Department of Neurology SGPGIMS, Lucknow
J Assoc Physicians India 52:24-6. 2004High index of suspicion is mandatory for early diagnosis of Herpes Simplex Encephalitis (HSE), since acyclovir therapy can prevent its mortality and limit morbidity...
- Postinfectious immune-mediated encephalitis after pediatric herpes simplex encephalitisXavier De Tiège
Department of Pediatric Neurology, ULB Hôpital Erasme Brussels, Brussels, Belgium
Brain Dev 27:304-7. 2005..deterioration clinically characterized by a partial Kluver-Bucy syndrome, 1 month after the onset of herpes simplex encephalitis. This episode is unlikely due to continuation or resumption of cerebral viral replication but might be ..
- Asymptomatic self-limiting white matter lesions in the chronic phase of herpes simplex encephalitisNobuto Mitsufuji
Department of Pediatrics, Kyoto First Red Cross Hospital, 15 749, Honmachi, Higashiyama ku, Kyoto, Japan
Brain Dev 24:300-3. 2002We report a 9-month-old girl with herpes simplex encephalitis. T(2)-weighted magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) on the 8th day of illness showed increased signal intensity in the gray and white matter of the bilateral lobes, especially the ..
- Herpes simplex encephalitis: children and adolescentsRichard J Whitley
Department of Pediatrics, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, AL, USA
Semin Pediatr Infect Dis 16:17-23. 2005b>Herpes simplex encephalitis (HSE) remains one of the most devastating infections of the central nervous system despite available antiviral therapy. Children and adolescents account for approximately one third of all cases of HSE...
- Burden of encephalitis-associated hospitalizations in the United States, 1988-1997Nino Khetsuriani
Respiratory and Enteric Viruses Branch, Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Clin Infect Dis 35:175-82. 2002..The average cost of an encephalitis-associated hospitalization, as determined by the Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project for 1997, was $28,151, for an annual national cost of hospitalization of $650 million...
- Postinfectious autoimmune-mediated encephalitis eight months after herpes simplex encephalitisA A B Joos
Department of Neurology, University of Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
Eur Neurol 50:54-6. 2003
- Diffuse white matter lesions in a case of herpes simplex encephalitisNaohisa Ueda
J Neurol 250:867-8. 2003
- Infantile herpes simplex encephalitis: diagnostic features and differentiation from non-accidental injuryJ Kurtz
Department of Virology, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford OX3 9DU, UK
J Infect 46:12-6. 2003..After a baby, subsequently proven to have HSE, had initially been diagnosed as non-accidental injury (NAI), we reviewed the clinical features and radiology of infants with HSE recently diagnosed by our laboratory...
- Herpes simplex encephalitis: a case reportMaciej Jabłkowski
Clinic for Infectious Diseases, Medical University of Łódź, Poland
Med Sci Monit 10:CS41-5. 2004Despite advances in antiviral therapy over the past 2 decades, herpes simplex encephalitis (HSE) remains a serious illness with significant risk of morbidity and death...
- Extra temporal involvement in herpes simplex encephalitisM Wasay
Department of Medicine and Neurology, The Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
Eur J Neurol 12:475-9. 2005Temporal lobe abnormalities on brain imaging have been described as strong evidence for herpes simplex encephalitis (HSE) in appropriate clinical settings. Extra temporal abnormalities are less well described in these patients...
- Progression of MRI abnormalities in herpes simplex encephalitis despite clinical improvement: natural history or disease progression?P Gaviani
Neurological Clinic, Ospedale Maggiore della Carita, A Avogadro University of Eastern Piedmont, Corso Mazzini 18, I 28100 Novara, Italy
Neurol Sci 25:104-7. 2004..Imaging studies of a cohort of patients surviving PCR-confirmed HSVE are needed to determine whether this pattern is occasional or a frequent form of progression...
- Diffusion-weighted MRI in herpes simplex encephalitis: a report of three casesW Kuker
Department of Neuroradiology, University Hospital Tubingen, Hoppe Seyler Strasse 3, 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Neuroradiology 46:122-5. 2004..Thus, DW-MRI may be a valuable tool for early detection and diagnosis of HSVE whereas contrast-enhanced images are indispensable after the first week...
- Herpes simplex virus infections of the central nervous system: encephalitis and meningitis, including Mollaret'sKenneth L Tyler
Department of Neurology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center and Denver Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Denver, Colorado 80262, USA
Herpes 11:57A-64A. 2004b>Herpes simplex encephalitis (HSE) is a life-threatening consequence of herpes simplex virus (HSV) infection of the central nervous system (CNS)...
- Modulation of sFas indicates apoptosis in human herpes simplex encephalitisFarideh Sabri
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Karolinska Institute, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
J Neuroimmunol 171:171-6. 2006b>Herpes simplex encephalitis (HSE) is the most common cause of non-epidemic, acute and fatal viral encephalitis. A pronounced mortality and morbidity remains in HSE despite antiviral treatment...
- Increased presence of matrix metalloproteinases 2 and 9 in short- and long-term experimental herpes simplex virus encephalitisFrancisco J Martinez-Torres
Department of Neurology, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 400, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Neurosci Lett 368:274-8. 2004..Increased presence of MMP2 and MMP9 in chronic HSVE may contribute to ongoing damage. Inhibition of MMP2 and MMP9 might be a suitable target for therapeutic intervention...
- Expression of Toll-like receptor 3 in the human cerebellar cortex in rabies, herpes simplex encephalitis, and other neurological diseasesAlan C Jackson
Unité de Neuroimmunologie Virale, Département de Neuroscience, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
J Neurovirol 12:229-34. 2006..Purkinje cells were found to express TLR-3 in all cases of rabies (4 of 4) and herpes simplex encephalitis (2 of 2) as well as in cases of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (1 of 2), stroke (1 of 2), and Alzheimer'..
- Acute and long-term alteration of chemokine mRNA expression after anti-viral and anti-inflammatory treatment in herpes simplex virus encephalitisJohann Sellner
Department of Neurology, Im Neuenheimer Feld 400, Ruprecht Karls University Heidelberg, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Neurosci Lett 374:197-202. 2005..This pattern was substantially altered by anti-viral and anti-inflammatory treatment. Our findings indicate a pivotal role of these chemokines in the immunopathogenesis of HSVE...
- A 12-year prospective study of childhood herpes simplex encephalitis: is there a broader spectrum of disease?Jorina M Elbers
Division of Neurology, Hospital for Sick Children and University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, M5G 1X8, Canada
Pediatrics 119:e399-407. 2007The purpose of this study was to review the experience with herpes simplex encephalitis at the Hospital for Sick Children over the past 12 years.
- Relapsing herpes simplex encephalitis: pathological confirmation of viral reactivationS Yamada
Department of Neurology, Gifu Prefectural Tajimi Hospital, Gifu, Japan
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 74:262-4. 2003This case is reported to raise awareness of herpes simplex encephalitis as a persisting brain disorder...
- Diffusion-weighted imaging findings on MRI as the sole radiographic findings in a child with proven herpes simplex encephalitisMakram Obeid
Department of Pediatrics, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, 3601 4th St, Lubbock, TX 79430, USA
Pediatr Radiol 37:1159-62. 2007We present a case of herpes simplex encephalitis in an 8-year-old girl, in whom hyperintensity was detected on diffusion-weighted imaging (DWI) while conventional MRI sequences were normal 1 week after the onset of neurological symptoms...
- In vivo visualization of activated glia by [11C] (R)-PK11195-PET following herpes encephalitis reveals projected neuronal damage beyond the primary focal lesionA Cagnin
MRC Cyclotron Unit, Imperial College, Faculty of Medicine, Hammersmith Hospital, UK
Brain 124:2014-27. 2001..Two patients with asymmetrical herpes simplex encephalitis were serially scanned 6 and 12 months after the acute illness using PET with [11C] (R)-PK11195, a ..
- Neurosyphilis presenting as herpes simplex encephalitisI Szilak
Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Clin Infect Dis 32:1108-9. 2001We report the case of a 55-year-old man with neurosyphilis that presented with features of herpes simplex encephalitis. Neurosyphilis is easily diagnosed and treated and should be included in the differential diagnosis of herpes simplex ..
- Experimental herpes simplex virus encephalitis: inhibition of the expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase in mouse brain tissueUta Meyding-Lamade
Department of Neurology, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Neurosci Lett 318:21-4. 2002..INOS inhibition may provide an additional therapeutic strategy targeted specifically to suppress iNOS expression as a potential secondary mechanism of tissue damage in acute and chronic HSVE...
- Diffusion-weighted imaging and apparent diffusion coefficient evaluation of herpes simplex encephalitis and Japanese encephalitisVijay Sawlani
Department of Radiology, Morriston Hospital, Swansea SA6 6NL, UK
J Neurol Sci 287:221-6. 2009..imaging (DWI) and apparent diffusion coefficient (ADC) values in differentiating necrotising herpes simplex encephalitis (HSE) and non-necrotising Japanese encephalitis (JE) and (b) to correlate the ADC values with the ..
- La Crosse encephalitis presenting like herpes simplex encephalitis in an immunocompromised adultR Wurtz
Department of Medicine, Evanston Hospital, Evanston, Illinois 60621, USA
Clin Infect Dis 31:1113-4. 2000..Because herpes simplex encephalitis (HSE) can be neurologically devastating and is treatable, timely diagnosis is important...
- Prognostic value of intrathecal antibody production and DNA viral load in cerebrospinal fluid of patients with herpes simplex encephalitisAnders Hjalmarsson
Department of Medicine Solna, Infectious Diseases Unit, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm 17176, Sweden
J Neurol 256:1243-51. 2009b>Herpes simplex encephalitis is a devastating disease...
- Virological diagnosis of herpes simplex encephalitisA Sauerbrei
Institute for Antiviral Chemotherapy, Friedrich Schiller University Jena, Nordhäuser Strasse 78, D 99089, Erfurt, Germany
J Clin Virol 17:31-6. 2000The herpes simplex encephalitis (HSE) represents one of the most severe infectious diseases of the central nervous system. As effective antiviral drugs are available, rapid and reliable diagnosis has become important.
- Herpes simplex encephalitis: an audit of the use of laboratory diagnostic testsJ Chataway
Departments of Neurology, The National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, London, UK
QJM 97:325-30. 2004The combination of both PCR and intrathecal antibody studies is recommended to confirm or refute the diagnosis of herpes simplex encephalitis (HSE).
- Quantitation of intrathecal antibodies in cerebrospinal fluid of subacute sclerosing panencephalitis, herpes simplex encephalitis and multiple sclerosis: discrimination between microorganism-driven and polyspecific immune responseC Jacobi
Neurochemistry Laboratory, University of Gottingen, Robert Koch Str 40, D 37075 Gottingen, Germany
J Neuroimmunol 187:139-46. 2007..for HSV or measles has about 20- to 60-fold higher values in virus-caused antibody synthesis in acute herpes simplex encephalitis (mean HSV-F(S)=8.9%) or subacute sclerosing panencephalitis (mean measles-F(S)=18...
- Antiviral therapy for herpesvirus central nervous system infections: neonatal herpes simplex virus infection, herpes simplex encephalitis, and congenital cytomegalovirus infectionScott H James
Department of Pediatrics, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35233 1711, United States
Antiviral Res 83:207-13. 2009..Although advances in antiviral agents have led to improved outcomes, there is still a need for more effective treatments...
- Update on herpes simplex encephalitisKenneth L Tyler
Department of Neurology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, and the Neurology Service of the Denver Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Denver, CO, USA
Rev Neurol Dis 1:169-78. 2004b>Herpes simplex encephalitis is the most common identified cause of sporadic viral encephalitis in the United States...
- A case of herpes simplex encephalitis revealed by decompressive craniectomyN Bayram
Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Ege University, Izmir, Turkey
Eur J Pediatr 167:821-2. 2008..Her clinical signs and cerebral imaging findings were found to be compatible with herpes simplex encephalitis. In spite of prompt acyclovir administration, her consciousness deteriorated gradually...
- Herpes simplex encephalitis in North West IndiaA Panagariya
Department of Neurology, SMS Medical College and Hospital, Jaipur 302004, India
Neurol India 49:360-5. 2001..diagnosis of cerebral venous thrombosis, cerebral malaria, tubercular meningitis etc, who resembled herpes simplex encephalitis (HSE), were excluded systematically with relevant investigations...
- Herpes simplex encephalitis: some interesting presentationsS Jha
Department of Neurology, SGPGIMS, Lucknow, India
Neurol India 51:399-400. 2003b>Herpes Simplex Encephalitis (HSE) is the most common cause of fatal viral encephalitis. A high index of suspicion is mandatory for early diagnosis and successful therapy to restrict morbidity and mortality...
- Glycyrrhizin increases survival of mice with herpes simplex encephalitisT Sekizawa
Department of Neurology, Tohoku University School of Medicine, Sendai, Japan
Acta Virol 45:51-4. 2001..5-29.0% to 81.8-83.3%; mean values from 2 experiments) while it reduced HSV-1 replication in the brain to 45.6% of the control. These results demonstrate a stimulative effect of GR on the mouse defense system(s) against HSV-1 infection...
- Traffic of leukocytes in the central nervous system is associated with chemokine up-regulation in a severe model of herpes simplex encephalitis: an intravital microscopy studyMárcia Carvalho Vilela
Pós Graduação em Infectologia e Medicina Tropical, Faculdade de Medicina FM, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais UFMG, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Neurosci Lett 445:18-22. 2008..These results corroborate the role of chemokines in leukocyte recruitment following HSV-1 infection in the central nervous system...
- Herpes simplex encephalitis: involvement of apolipoprotein E genotypeW R Lin
Molecular Neurobiology Laboratory, Department of Optometry and Neuroscience, UMIST, Manchester M60 1QD, UK
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 70:117-9. 2001..Whether a specific allele of the gene is involved in susceptibility to another disorder caused by HSV1-herpes simplex encephalitis (HSE)-has now been investigated...
- Evaluation of combination therapy using aciclovir and corticosteroid in adult patients with herpes simplex virus encephalitisS Kamei
Division of Neurology, Department of Medicine, Nihon University School of Medicine, Itabashi ku, Tokyo 173 8610, Japan
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 76:1544-9. 2005..In the present investigation, the first to assess efficacy of corticosteroid treatment with aciclovir therapy in HSVE, multiple logistic regression analysis was performed of predictors of outcome in adult patients with HSVE...
- [Cerebral haematoma in the course of herpes simplex encephalitis]J M Politei
Servicio de Neurologia, Hospital General de Agudos Juan A Fernández, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Rev Neurol 36:636-9. 2003b>Herpes simplex encephalitis (HSE) is the most common cause of infectious encephalitis at all ages...
- Laboratory diagnosis of central nervous system infections caused by herpesvirusesA Sauerbrei
Institute for Antiviral Chemotherapy, Friedrich Schiller University Jena, Winzerlaer Stasse 10, D 07745 Jena, Germany
J Clin Virol 25:S45-51. 2002Herpesviruses may be associated with various types of central nervous system (CNS) infections. Herpes simplex encephalitis (HSE) has to be considered one of the most severe diseases...
- Herpes simplex encephalitisZhiping Hu
Department of Neurology, Second Xiangya Hospital, China
Lancet 362:280. 2003
- Herpes simplex encephalitis presenting with exclusively frontal lobe involvementSean W Taylor
Department of Medicine Neurology, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
J Neurovirol 13:477-81. 2007The authors report a patient with herpes simplex encephalitis who presented with magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) lesions exclusively in the frontal lobes, including the bilateral anterior cingulate gyri...
- 73-year-old woman with fever and mental status changesAndrea N Leep Hunderfund
Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 82:874-7. 2007
- HSV encephalitis in a child with brain stem glioma: a rare complication of therapy. Case report and review of the neurosurgical literatureBarbara Spacca
Department of Neurosurgery, Royal Liverpool Children s Hospital NHS Trust, Liverpool, UK
Childs Nerv Syst 23:1347-50. 2007..Herpes simplex virus (HSV) encephalitis is a rare association with pediatric neurosurgical pathologies...
- Recurrent herpes simplex virus hepatitis after liver retransplantation despite acyclovir therapyThomas Longerich
Institute of Pathology, Department of General Pathology, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Liver Transpl 11:1289-94. 2005....
- [Therapy for herpes simplex virus encephalitis]Satoshi Kamei
Division of Neurology, Department of Medicine, Nihon University School of Medicine
Nihon Rinsho 64:296-301. 2006
- [Diagnosis of HSV-1, HSV-2 infection]Yoshihiro Ando
Infectious Disease and Immunology, Aichi Children s Health and Medical Center
Nihon Rinsho 64:226-9. 2006
- [Kluver Bucy syndrome and central diabetes insipidus: two uncommon complications of herpes simplex encephalitis]C Locatelli
UO Pediatria, Ospedale M Bufalini, Cesena
Pediatr Med Chir 25:442-6. 2003b>Herpes Simplex Encephalitis (HSE) is an uncommon but severe disease with high mortality and morbidity...
- Herpes simplex encephalitisSean W Taylor
Department of Medicine Neurology, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Can J Neurol Sci 32:246-7. 2005
- [Herpes simplex encephalitis originating from bilateral thalamic lesions with hemorrhagic component]Jiro Sakaguchi
Department of Strokology, Kumamoto City Hospital
Rinsho Shinkeigaku 45:368-71. 2005..The diagnosis of herpes simplex encephalitis was established by PCR of cerebrospinal fluid on the same day...
- Inhibition of herpes simplex virus thymidine kinases by 2-phenylamino-6-oxopurines and related compounds: structure-activity relationships and antiherpetic activity in vivoAndrzej Manikowski
GLSynthesis Inc, One Innovation Drive, Worcester, Massachusetts 01605, USA
J Med Chem 48:3919-29. 2005..In assays lacking [3H]thymidine, HBPG was found to be an efficient substrate for the enzymes. The ability of the TKs to phosphorylate HBPG may relate to its antiherpetic activity in vivo...
- Acute retinal necrosis as a late sequela of herpes simplex type 1 encephalitis in a childTheodore H Curtis
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Colorado, Rocky Mountain Lions Eye Institute, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
J AAPOS 11:509-10. 2007..Herein we report a child who developed acute retinal necrosis 17 months after HSV-1 encephalitis...
- Steroids for deteriorating herpes simplex virus encephalitisBanan Musallam
Department of Pediatrics, Hadassah University Hospital, Ein Kerem, Jerusalem, Israel
Pediatr Neurol 37:229-32. 2007..This case suggests considering a short course of high-dose steroid therapy in severe herpes simplex encephalitis when there is clinical and radiologic deterioration in spite of appropriate antiviral therapy and ..
- Herpes encephalitis presenting as mild aphasia: case reportOmar A Khan
Department of Family Medicine, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont 05405, USA
BMC Fam Pract 7:22. 2006..However, early detection via a low threshold of suspicion can be useful, leading in turn to early treatment and improved survival...
- [Herpes encephalitis]Hiroshi Shoji
First Department Neurology of Internal Medicine, Kurume University School of Medicine
Nihon Rinsho 64:264-7. 2006
- [Two cases of herpes encephalitis with normal cerebrospinal fluid findings]Vildan Avkan Oguz
Dokuz Eylul Universitesi Tip Fakultesi, Enfeksiyon Hastaliklari ve Klinik Mikrobiyoloji Anabilim Dali, Izmir
Mikrobiyol Bul 40:93-8. 2006..In conclusion, even the CSF findings are normal, in cases considered to be HSV encephalitis, MRI should be the first radiological diagnostic step and the diagnosis should be confirmed by the detection of HSV DNA in CSF by PCR...
- [A herpes simplex virus encephalitis case with no clinical response to acyclovir treatment]Fatma Cakmak Celik
Ondokuz Mayis Universitesi Tip Fakultesi, Cocuk Sagligi ve Hastaliklari Anabilim Dali, Samsun
Mikrobiyol Bul 41:613-9. 2007....
- Late relapse of herpes simplex virus encephalitis in a child due to reactivation of latent virus: clinicopathological report and reviewRonen Spiegel
Pediatric Department A, Ha Emek Medical Center, Afula Israel
J Child Neurol 23:344-8. 2008..All cases of late relapse of herpes simplex virus encephalitis in the last 15 years are reviewed, with emphasis on clinical characteristics and possible mechanisms...
- Investigation of HSV-1, HSV-2, CMV, HHV-6 and HHV-8 DNA by real-time PCR in surgical resection materials of epilepsy patients with mesial temporal lobe sclerosisHulya Karatas
Hacettepe University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Neurology, Sihhiye, Ankara, 06100, Turkey
J Neurol Sci 264:151-6. 2008..The objective of this study is to investigate the presence of viral DNAs of HSV-1, HSV-2, HHV-6, HHV-8, and CMV in hippocampus of the patients with mesial temporal lobe epilepsy (MTLE) syndrome...
- Herpes encephalitis after meningioma resectionMarkus Ploner
Department of Neurology, Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany
Neurology 65:1674-5. 2005
- Diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance is better than polymerase chain reaction for early diagnosis of herpes simplex encephalitis: a case reportBaşak Nur Akyldz
Departments of Pediatric Intensive Care, Medical Faculty, Erciyes University, Kayseri, Turkey
Pediatr Emerg Care 24:377-9. 2008..Therefore, diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance may play a major role as a first and early diagnostic step...
- Unusual presentation of herpes simplex virus encephalitis: bilateral thalamic involvement and normal imaging of early stage of the diseaseHakan Gumus
Department of Pediatric Neurology, Erciyes University Faculty of Medicine, 38039 Kayseri, Turkey
Am J Emerg Med 25:87-9. 2007
- Temporal lobectomy in acute complicated herpes simplex encephalitis: technical case reportRocio Sanchez-Carpintero
Department of Paediatrics, Paediatric Neurology Unit, University Clinic of Navarra, University of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain
Neurosurgery 62:E1174-5; discussion E1175. 2008..A surgical therapeutic approach may be needed because the infection can be resistant to acyclovir in immunocompromised patients, and complications and long-term sequelae are frequent...
- Corticosteroids in herpes simplex virus encephalitisH Openshaw
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 76:1469. 2005
- Diagnostic array for aseptic encephalitisDarrell P Chandler; Fiscal Year: 2011..One the other hand, herpes simplex encephalitis results in rapid death in approximately 70% of cases if left untreated...
- Genetic analysis of Herpes virus neurotropism and encephalitisJENNIFER HART LAVAIL; Fiscal Year: 2011....
- Cellular dissection of herpes simplex encephalitis with iPS cellsJean Laurent Casanova; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Herpes simplex encephalitis (HSE) of childhood is a life-threatening central nervous system (CNS)-specific complication of primary infection by herpes simplex virus 1 (HSV-1)...
- Identification and evaluation of novel therapeutic targets for virus-induced neurKenneth L Tyler; Fiscal Year: 2013..g. acyclovir for herpes simplex encephalitis) disability and death remain significant...
- HSV-1 LAT miRNAs: Neurovirulence, reactivation, mechanismSteven L Wechsler; Fiscal Year: 2013..of herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) from latency in the trigeminal ganglia (TG) can cause herpes simplex encephalitis (HSE) and herpes stromal keratitis (HSK)...
- Mendelian genetic predisposition to herpes simplex encephalitis in childhoodJean Laurent Casanova; Fiscal Year: 2013Childhood herpes simplex encephalitis (HSE) is a life-threatening complication of primary infection by herpes simplex virus 1 (HSV-1), a common virus that is innocuous in most children...
- Mechanisms of Apoptosis in Virus-Infected NeuronsJOHN DAVID BECKHAM; Fiscal Year: 2012..While acyclovir therapy is effective for herpes simplex encephalitis, morbidity and mortality are still prominent in infected patient and additional strategies to treat ..
- Cellular genes and signaling pathways as therapeutic targets for virus-induced CNKenneth L Tyler; Fiscal Year: 2013..g. acyclovir for herpes simplex encephalitis) disability and death remain significant...
- DRUGS TO PREVENT RECURRENT HERPESVIRUS INFECTIONSGeorge Wright; Fiscal Year: 2001..Virus shedding during subclinical recurrences may infect sex partners or newborns. Herpes simplex encephalitis is a continuing source of morbidity and neurological sequelae in newborns and adults...
- MECHANISMS OF HSV-1 TRANSPORT IN CNS NEURONSJUDY GARNER; Fiscal Year: 2003..Though relatively rare, HSV1 can also be the primary cause of the more serious herpes simplex encephalitis, as well as systemic disseminated infections...
- EARLY EVENTS IN HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS ENTRYRoselyn Eisenberg; Fiscal Year: 2006..These studies will provide a better understanding of HSV entry and enable the design of strategies for combating HSV infection and pathogenesis by targeting elements of the entry machinery. ..
- AMNESICS' REPRESENTATION OF DIRECT MEMORIESWilliam Hirst; Fiscal Year: 1992....
- NEURAL BASES OF SEMANTIC MEMORYSHARON THOMPSON SCHILL; Fiscal Year: 2003..Impairments of semantic memory have also been observed in patients with herpes simplex encephalitis, posterior cerebral artery infarctions, hypoxic-ischemic injury, and tumor resection...
- DESIGN & SYNTHESIS OF BRAIN-SPECIFIC ANTIHERPETIC AGENTEmil Pop; Fiscal Year: 1990..v. dosing of D-CDS and 5) activity evaluations in a rat model of herpes encephalitis using HSV-1 strain. Successful completion of these objectives will identify a candidate drug for clinical and commercial development...
- Study of risk factors of tick-borne encephalitis in PolandPawel Stefanoff; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- FMRI/Pathology/Anterior Cingulate/Frontoinsular CortexWILLIAM SEELEY; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed research seeks to benefit the public health by clarifying the biological basis of dementia, ultimately promoting earlier diagnosis and better treatments for dementia patients. ..
- Macrophage defense againt M. tuberculosisJennifer Wang; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Mechanisms of virus-induced apoptosis in neurons and CNSKenneth L Tyler; Fiscal Year: 2010..pathways involved, as well as an easily accessible in mouse model of CNS apoptosis that allows rapid testing of results obtained in cell culture for their significance on the pathogenesis of CNS viral disease in vivo ..
- Drug Abuse, Social Decision-Making, and Sex-Related Functional Brain AsymmetryDANIEL T TRANEL; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Mechanisms of apoptosis in the central nervous systemKenneth Tyler; Fiscal Year: 2009..In addition, the proposed studies will evaluate the role of these genes and pathways as novel therapeutic targets for these diseases. ..
- Mechanism/predictors of genital/rectal HIV shedding during ART w/plasma <50c/mLLisa M Frenkel; Fiscal Year: 2010..A better understanding of this discordant genital tract and rectal shedding should allow us to develop better treatment strategies that should reduce HIV transmission. ..
- Reservoirs of drug-resistant HIV-1Lisa Frenkel; Fiscal Year: 2009..These data assist in establishing complementary MTCT prophylaxis regimens and HAART for women and children. ..
- CNS VIRAL INJURY AND VULNERABILITY TO OPIATE DRUG ABUSEMarylou Solbrig; Fiscal Year: 2002..At the conclusion of the grant period, the requisite skills in behavioral pharmacology, neuropharmacology and molecular biology for continued work in the study and treatment of drug addiction will have been acquired by the candidate. ..
- Anatomical Substrates of Complex Behavior (P01)Antonio Damasio; Fiscal Year: 2007..The information will help with the design of rehabilitation programs that can alleviate deficits in memory, language, and emotions, and help curb the suffering associated with brain disease. ..
- Neuroprotection and ERK activation by HSV-2 gene ICP10PKLaure Aurelian; Fiscal Year: 2007..The studies will provide significant information required for the development of ICP10PK based therapies for the treatment of acute and chronic neurodegenerative diseases that are associated with apoptosis. ..
- NEUROSCIENCE OF HIV CONFERENCEJoseph Berger; Fiscal Year: 2002..Dr. Brian Wigdahl, international co-chair of the ISNV, is a co-investigator on this grant. ..
- Immunization by HIV exposure during chemoprophylaxisLisa Frenkel; Fiscal Year: 2006..In the absence of an effective vaccine, the use of antiretrovirals should be optimized to prevent the spread of HIV-1 infection. This proposal works toward this goal. ..
- AIDS CLINICAL TRIALSLisa Frenkel; Fiscal Year: 2002..The PACTG site reports and regulatory evaluations of the UW PACTU which have generally been excellent are discussed. This proposal requests funds for the continuation of the successful UW PACTU. ..
- Short Tandem Repeat Polymorphisms in CytomegalovirusJames Bale; Fiscal Year: 2003..Characterizing HCM' strains by STR analysis will facilitate future studies of HCMV evolution and will provide a novel means t to fingerprint HCMV strains. ..
- STRATEGY SHIFTS AND AUTOMATIZATION OF COGNITIVE SKILLSTIMOTHY RICKARD; Fiscal Year: 2003..The research will test and extend the PI's previous work in the areas of skill acquisition, skill transfer, and memory and amnesia. ..
- HYBRID MOLECULES DESIGNED TO ENHANCE ANTIBIOTIC ACTIVITYGeorge Wright; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Antiviral Drugs for Treatment of Herpes B InfectionsGeorge Wright; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- MOLECULAR STUDIES OF ERYTHEMA MULTIFORMELaure Aurelian; Fiscal Year: 2004..They will also generate clinically relevant information for the diagnosis and management of HAEM patients as differentiated from those with EM caused by other pathogens or by drug sensitivity. ..
- JCV Virus Expression in Oropharynx and HIVJoseph Berger; Fiscal Year: 2004..This line of investigation would add credence to an oropharyngeal mechanism of JCV transmission and may ultimately lead to the clinical identification of an acute illness attributable to this pathogen. ..
- MR PREDICTORS OF RESPONSE TO HAART IN HIV DEMENTIAJoseph Berger; Fiscal Year: 2004..It will also open novel avenues for exploring the differential sensitivities of these pathways to HAART, and suggest unique therapeutic options. ..
- HIV Neuroprotection WorkshopJoseph Berger; Fiscal Year: 2004..The proposed conference is the first of its kind to highlight neuroprotection in HIV CNS and PNS disorders. By coupling this meeting with the International Symposium on Neurovirology this synergy can be exploited. ..
- Viral neuropathology neuropeptides and epilepsyMarylou Solbrig; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Fluorosome Technique for Drug Permeability StudiesGeorge Wright; Fiscal Year: 2005..The Fluorosome-trans Technique promises to become an efficient, low cost alternative and one which can be applied to the high throughput needs of the pharmaceutical industry. ..
- High Throughput Membrane-Water Partition CoefficientsGeorge Wright; Fiscal Year: 2005..The implementation of the Fluorosome Technique to the acquisition of membrane:water partition coefficients will thus greatly facilitate drug discovery. ..
- Etiology of mastitis in HIV-1 infected womenLisa Frenkel; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- THERAPY EFFECTS ON HIV 1 POPULATION DYNAMICS IN CHILDRENLisa Frenkel; Fiscal Year: 2002....